

---

EVIN ERDOGDU: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone, and welcome to the At-Large Social Media Working Group call on Thursday, 3 of August 2017 from 1700 UTC to 1800 UTC. Today on the call with us, we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, [inaudible], Sarah Kiden, Alfredo Calderón, Glenn McKnight, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, John Laprise, Susannah Gray, and [inaudible] –apologies. We have no listed apologies, and on Staff with us we have today Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang, Mario Aleman, and myself, Evin Erdogan. I'll also be doing call management. And with that, I'd like to remind everyone to please state your name, not only for the record, but for transcription purposes. Thanks very much, and I'll turn it over to you, Dev. Please begin.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Evin. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh, and welcome, everyone, to the Social Media Working Group call. On our agenda today, we will be primarily looking at the At-Large review on the recommendations related to social media, particularly Recommendation 8 and Recommendation Number 9. And we also want to spend some time as to how we can properly promote RALO content via an At-Large social media channel. And any other business. Does anybody want to add something to the agenda? John?

JOHN LAPRISE: Not so much add to the agenda, but I've got some comments on the At-Large review recommendations coming out of yesterday's meeting, but I'll let it keep on going. Thank you.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Certainly. Certainly. Okay, thanks for that, John. This is Dev. Okay, so seeing that nobody wants – raising their hands to talk about the agenda, let’s go straight into the agenda. So, Recommendation Number 8 – and the link has been posted by Ariel – thanks for that – from the At-Large review, states that, “The ALAC should use social media more effectively to engage with end users – example, via Twitter/Facebook polls, etcetera. These polls should not be binding in any way, but the ALAC could use them as a gauge of end user opinion.”

So, as part of how the At-Large review is tackling these recommendations, there is a wiki page for each of the recommendations, and the community and the ALAC – and ourselves, now – will be now looking to comment on these recommendations, in terms of how these recommendations could be implemented, and so forth.

So, I don’t want to read the entire page. Everybody can click onto the page and see it. I don’t know if Staff could put the page up on Recommendation 8 in the Adobe Connect, so that people could scroll the page, and so forth. Okay, so with that, I see John has a hand raised. John, go ahead.

JOHN LAPRISE: Thank you. John Laprise, for the record. So, I was on yesterday’s At-Large Review Team response meeting, and we are a little bit late to the game today, because they are already well into drafting at this point, or they’re beginning the formal drafting of responses. So, if you have

---

comments on these recommendations, you need to input them immediately – like, yesterday. Because these are two recommendations out of the whole list, and they’re getting to work on all of them. I’ve commented on both 8 and 9, and my general comment on both of these is what I voiced before in conversations with Dev, and also here, in the Working Group – and that is that it’s increasingly clear that ICANN needs to provide overarching policy and guidance on social media across all the SO/ACs. There’s intellectual property issues involved, there’s propriety involved, there’s code of conduct kind of things involved, and we need some guidance to get some kind of standardization across social media channels, because we don’t want to start doing something that ends up having to be rolled back at a later date. So, my call to action on both 8 and 9 is for Staff to approach whoever’s appropriate within ICANN to seek formal policy. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, John, for that suggestion, although I’m not sure if – I mean, I think it’s important, but I’m not sure if it directly ties into Recommendation 8. But I hear your comments. Heidi, I see your hand is raised?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you very much, Dev. So, John – I heard that comment yesterday and reached out to our Communications department, asking about what the current policy is on developing standardized guidelines for AC/SO social media policies. And what they responded was that they would be very happy to help each of the AC/SOs in developing best

---

practice for social media, if the request was made, and if it was transparent – meaning, it was put on a wiki page. So, I think that’s the way to move forward. What they did not feel comfortable doing was providing any kind of top-down social media guidelines, which I, personally, also agree with. So, again, just in sum, if there is a request coming in from At-Large, then they would be very happy to help you develop guidelines. Thank you.

JOHN LAPRISE:

John Laprise, for the record, again. So, I can’t imagine ICANN would be happy if, say, one of the SO/ACs started using ICANN’s intellectual property in a blasé fashion. So, there is some at least weak structural framework that has to exist, because ICANN has intellectual property at stake, regardless. So, I understand Communication’s reluctance to engage in top-down governance, but there are some things that ICANN quite simply owns, and that has to be part and parcel of the structure. We all adhere to a code of conduct in meetings, and that’s also something that should be embedded, in that it’s a policy that we’ve all agreed on already, but it should be formalized in a general social media policy document. And I’m not sure that that actually exists at the moment.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. Heidi, do you have a response to that?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. This is Heidi – sorry, it takes me some time to get off of mute. I hear that, John – valid point – and I will get back to you. I’m going to follow up with our Communications department and ask about that. But again, I think – given the time that we have, our limited time, I think we could also note that there has been communication with the Communications department and that perhaps, if you do wish to move forward in the request, that that would be forthcoming. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I think Ariel wants to say something. Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Dev. This is Ariel speaking. So, just as a reminder to John and the group that we do have a social media strategy for At-Large, and that was collaboratively developed between Staff and the At-Large community, and that led to the very existence of this Working Group, and it was endorsed by the ALAC and now we did incorporate sections about what are the best practices on social media, include – and also frequency of posting, and content to post. So, we do have that document. So, I’m just wondering if, from John’s point of view, are you not content with that document and you want something different, or something complementary to that? So, just wanted to clarify that.

JOHN LAPRISE: John Laprise, for the record. I think what we need at this point is content guidance, because, as I said, my issue is that – the strategy and the structure is all well and good – but what we can post and what we

---

can't post, or what we shouldn't post, or controlling what we post is an issue. Who has editorial oversight over these things? Sort of the nuts and bolts of how we go about doing this, in addition. I see a few people have commented on editorial control; that's really important, too. How many handles in it do we have? Does each RALO get a handle? Who organizes to assert ownership of those handles? That's an intellectual property issue. And every social media account is a property. Someone owns that account, or is responsible for it. So, the question is, who does that? What is policy about that? I could start a NARALO account tomorrow, as far as I can tell. And there's nothing – at the moment, there's nothing hindering me from doing that. Is that what we really want? I don't think it is, but we need formal guidance about this. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. I'm not going to comment on what John has said; I agree very much with many of the points that he's asking – I mean, saying – but I'd like to look at this in a slightly sort of higher-level – more helicopter view – and say, it's all great to say we need a social media strategy with more to be done and spread the word out in a – sort of more effectively engage with the end users. If there are no resources for that, then you can only do so much. And I think that we have to agree – or at least admit – that we are doing our best. We've tried to do our best so far, but the resources that we

---

have are not delivering the kind of returns that might be expected, and – well. You really are looking – if you want to engage in a sort of wide scale, with a large number of people, and spread the word – you really are looking at cranking things up by another level. In my day job, I’m working on other projects at the moment that involve social media, and the way that things are dealt with is very different. The content, of course, is important, but then, the way that it is spread – that you get the buzz – that all these things happen out there, whether on Facebook, on Instagram, on Twitter – the number of retweets and things – all of that is actually a paid-for industry that promotes your message. And we can try and do whatever we want with our ALSes and ask – if we are asked to promote the message in a very wide way, I think we’re set for not very happy tomorrows with the means that we have. And I’m not quite sure that we are asked to do that, so we also have to get a really clear idea of what we want to achieve on social media. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. Thanks, Olivier. Okay, so this is Dev here. So, I’m starting from the comments. Okay, Heidi – you have a hand raised?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Is there something else that –

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: – you want to quickly [inaudible]? Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Yes, thank you, Dev. So, just following back on John’s point – I’ve reached out to Jana just here, while you were speaking, and she’s very happy to have either her or Duncan, the Senior VP for Communications, come on a future social media call. I think the questions that you’re asking are very useful. So, just two things that we recommend. One is, if you could follow up – just send me a note – or Ariel and I – or At-Large Staff – a note on some of the points that you’re making, particularly about the intellectual property aspect. And then, secondly, in the – perhaps the next social media call, we could have them on there and respond to some of your questions. That would be a useful way. But I think we’re sort of getting away from Recommendation 8 and 9 at this point. [CROSSTALK]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. And you can also note that as an Action Item, so it doesn’t fall through the cracks, because I think [inaudible] what is happening in ICANN is that how it deals with – handles its social media. Maybe this just needs to be a wiki page where there are links. Because we have the social media strategy [inaudible]; apparently, not people are aware of it, so perhaps that needs to be a bit more prominent again, or highlighted



---

again [inaudible] needs to be updated, maybe. We'll definitely look at that.

So, John, you could put – provide the details to Heidi, and she can pass it on to Duncan and Gina, I think it was.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Jana. Jana.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Jana. Sorry. Sorry, Jana. My apologies. Okay? Alright, thanks for this. Alright, so, going back to Recommendation 8, I see a hand – Ariel, you have a hand raised. Alright, do you wish to suggest something?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes, I do. Thanks, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hi.

ARIEL LIANG: This is Ariel. So, just to quickly – back to that intellectual property issue. I wonder whether, John, you had an actual conversation with those RALO leaders or RALO members, and I'm just trying to avoid a situation where At-Large Social Media Working Group would work with Communications department to develop some kind of guideline without any [inaudible] collaboration with the RALOs, because we don't want to

---

look top-down, either, from the Social Media Working Group perspective, so just a quick point, there.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Ariel. John? A quick response [CROSSTALK] recommendation.

JOHN LAPRISE: Okay. John Laprise, for the record. Just quickly, for Ariel. I think what's needed first is a census of social media accounts being used by the RALOs, on behalf of the RALOs, and on behalf of ICANN. A master list and reported out from the RALOs, so we actually know what the landscape looks like. Until we know that, we're just shooting in the dark.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, John. This is Dev. So, going back – circling back to the Recommendation 8, which was the – which we talked about, “The ALAC should use social media more effectively to engage with end users,” as a gauge of end user opinion, which are not binding. So, does anybody have any particular comments on the Recommendation 8, in terms of what the current comments are? The current comments are – shall we just read it quickly? – is that “The ALAC strongly supports this recommendation and currently makes use of those platforms and intends to continue and enhance such usage. The At-Large already has an active Social Media Working Group with just this focus, looking at developing such uses of social media.” And in brackets, “One of the

---

inward-looking Working Groups that are recommended to be abolished.” which is in another one of the At-Large review recommendations. It goes – it concludes by saying that “many At-Large and ALAC members are already highly active in social media, and that they all handle and communicate in real time via Skype chat. At-Large boasts active Twitter and Facebook pages. The Working Group has looked at other tools, such as Mattermost, Slack, Eno, as well as Flickr and Youtube. Maximizing these tools to enhance internal communications, as well as end user participation, will continue to be an important ALAC goal.”

So, [inaudible]?

This is Dev. This is Dev, sorry. [inaudible], we’re not hearing you, if you are speaking.

This is Dev. [inaudible], we’re still not hearing you. You may be muted, or you may need to – maybe you can get a dial-out from Staff, if need be.

Okay, well, while that is being sorted out [inaudible] communication-wise, does anyone have any additional thoughts or comments on the Recommendation 8, in terms of – ?

Well, this is – okay, well, while [inaudible] is getting connected, just some thoughts. I think, yes, what the recommendation is – I think yes – I think there’s general consensus that we should support this recommendation. My only concern is, of course, how do we develop the poll in such a way that – I think what has to happen is for – if we are going to use polling that’s not just social media polling, but something

---

that's done as part of the policy process, so that when, for example, the wiki page goes up as to, "What are your thoughts about this particular policy that's on the public comments?" for example. There has to be some sort of feedback that goes out not just to community members, but that could also be shared on social media, rather than just be a social media siloed type of thing. And once it's part of the process – and ultimately, it would have to be Staff to shepherd the process through, in terms of setting up the poll, sending it out both to At-Large community members on our [inaudible] channel, email, Skype chat, and whatever our internal communication tools, as well as the public-facing tools. And then look to incorporate the feedback back into the process. There's no sense in asking a poll on social media if nobody's listening to the poll – so, taking this into account. It would not make sense. So, that's my concern, and perhaps some stronger wording needs to be in that recommendation to that effect.

Right, has [inaudible] been sorted out in terms of – ?

UNKNOWN: Yes, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Ah, [inaudible]. Good, we can hear you. Lovely.

UNKNOWN: Okay. So –

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead.

UNKNOWN: – can I speak?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, you can.

UNKNOWN: The major problem that I've always felt about user involvement in At-Large is that the media that we have been using [inaudible] and other communication tools are not – have not been the different friendly – have not been user-friendly – and now we're beginning to talk about using more of Twitter and Facebook pages, and [inaudible] by which we could [inaudible] interactions by users and create [inaudible] by users. For example, if you have a blog where users could be [inaudible] to write blogs for both about user issues in different parts of the world and if [inaudible] we can have a strategy to – by which we can have an editorial staff to make sure that – better quality content, and not all kinds of issues. We can think of a blog, we can think of a Facebook page, [inaudible] posts, and we can think of even Google Documents [inaudible] the documents [inaudible] for user contribution is not the actual, high-level, legal document – I mean, legal-parlance document, but [inaudible] document. Their issues are explained in the [inaudible] the user, and the user can write their [inaudible] and [inaudible] language, which then get [inaudible] up to all of the standards by At-Large. So, there was a question about moderation and monitoring –

---

who will monitor? Actually, there would be multiple monitors. Just about everyone in ALAC could be an editor or a moderator, or even beyond that [inaudible] ALAC [inaudible] for a long time. They could all moderate, they could all intervene and say, “Okay, let’s disallow this comment, or let’s approve this comment, this comment is irrelevant,” and so on. So, that is all. Even newspapers like Guardian or BBC, they have pages where users could – anybody could write. And so, we can move gradually to that kind of a social media strategy. Thanks. Thank you, Dev.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev? Are you still with us? You’re on mute, if you’re speaking.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Heidi. This is Dev. And yes, indeed, I was muted. I’m talking. My apologies. Okay, this is Dev again. Thanks, [inaudible]. I just want to note that perhaps what you are talking about is more in line with the third agenda item, which is to promote RALO content via social channels. So – there is quite a lot of information, there. Part of me would want to go into that right now, but at the same time, I do want to focus on these two recommendations first, and then we’ll discuss [inaudible] contribution in the third agenda item, if that is okay. Glenn?

UNKNOWN: Dev? Just a small response to what you said, and [CROSSTALK] third agenda item, but what I was talking about was not only about RALO contributions, not only about At-Large Structure contributions<sup>5</sup>, but

---

about the broader end user contributions from around the world. I'm talking about getting input not only from the traditional At-Large Structures, but also from the Internet users around the world on various [inaudible] issues, like our basic security issue, or a [inaudible] issue that ICANN might be concerned about, or maybe even on [inaudible] ICANN policy issues. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, [inaudible]. This is Dev. Glenn?

This is Dev. Glenn, you may be muted. We're not hearing you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. I'm sorry [CROSSTALK]. Glenn, for the record. Can you hear me now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can. Lovely. Go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Sorry, folks. Just staying with the comments on Recommendation 8 – it's pretty self-evident that we all have communities, we all have an audience in some way or form or other outside of ICANN. And explaining what we do, as Susannah has done – she did an excellent blog post about the experience of RGA, and it was not just speaking to ourselves, but beyond and into the team, [inaudible], and community, which is an excellent example. But – I'm

---

sorry, Dev, I can't remember the gentleman, but I think he was a Fellow – he reported back on his excellent blog posting on his experience of ICANN, but he showcased how the TTF was a great experience for him. So, I think each of us have communities we report. For one, many of us are curators for [inaudible] – [inaudible] being one, and many others. This is an excellent opportunity for us to showcase the excellent work we're doing, but I don't think we're using those [inaudible] forms effectively. That's it. Bye.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for this. Thanks, Glenn. So, any other – and again, a lot of information going toward the third agenda item – maybe we should have started with this one, the third agenda item. To circle back to the Recommendation 8, does anybody have any particular comments, other than the ones I've made, regarding Recommendation 8?

Let's see. Going once, going twice, going thrice – okay. So – alright, and now I'm seeing two hands raised. I'm seeing Glenn and John – and Susannah. Okay. Glenn, you first.

JOHN LAPRISE: Glenn, you're muted.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. John, go ahead.



---

JOHN LAPRISE: John Laprise, for the record.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, John.

JOHN LAPRISE: I would like to encourage everyone – I’m sorry, John Laprise, for the record. I would just like to encourage everyone who has comments about these items, once again, to please enter them into the document as soon as possible. Drafting is ongoing at this point, and the timelines are very short. So, this is a reminder that if you have comments on Item 8, and then later, on Item 9, to please make your views known. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that reminder. Susannah?

SUSANNAH GRAY: Hi. Yeah, this is Susannah, for the record – Susannah Gray. Yeah, I’m just going to raise a question that I put into the chat. I’m just wondering, have we actually decided which platforms we are going to be using, which platforms should be used? Because talking about content moderation and monitoring is kind of a moot point, unless we know exactly what platforms we’re using. And then, there’s a comment – there’s something in this Recommendation 8 that says, “Access to some platforms is constrained by governments in some jurisdictions,” and I think that needs to be taken into consideration, as well.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Indeed. Thanks. Thanks, Susannah. So, as part of the social media strategy – and I guess if Ariel could find the link, quickly, to that strategy – primarily focuses on using Twitter and on Facebook as our key social media channels that we put the content on. Okay?

SUSANNAH GRAY: Well –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I'm sure we'll circulate the strategy as it's [inaudible]. We've experimented with Instagram, and so forth, but we haven't really looked at – and again, it's due to the challenges of finding someone to curate the content on these channels such as Instagram. It's been a challenge to do so. So – I see Ariel has posted a link there, Susannah, so you can take a look at the strategy for that. And perhaps, as an Action Item, we need to recirculate the social media strategy document to the list and see if there is a need to update this document. Okay? And indeed, regarding the access to some platforms constrained by governments in some jurisdictions – indeed, this will be a challenge. That's why I was saying that whatever we do in terms of the polling, the polling has to be independent of the – I'm not saying independent of the social media, but – instituted as part of our internal – that's internally communicated [inaudible] via email, or internal Skype chats, or whatever internal tool we use. For example, Slack is being considered, for example. We need to have it circulated what the [inaudible] our social media channels, and then also look at a way of

---

incorporating the feedback from both of those distribution points, so that [inaudible] can be brought back together and then used in some way, because there's no sense having a poll without that being taken into account. It's like – it would be just doing something just for – without really having any benefit of polling to change things.

Alright? Okay. So, that was Recommendation 8. Let's look quickly at Recommendation 9, and then we'll jump into the third Agenda Item. Recommendation 9 is – and just while that is being brought up in the PDF in the Adobe Connect – let me just read what Recommendation 9 says. Recommendation 9 says that "The ALAC should arrange for the designation of one of its support staff as a part-time Web Community Manager who will be responsible for coordinating outreach via social media. These responsibilities could be allocated to an existing member of staff." Okay. And the current wording we have for this is, "The ALAC supports the intent of the recommendation," albeit at a low-priority prioritization, in terms of implementation. The comments being that "It is the understanding of the ALAC that this is a function already allocated to support staff, albeit with a different title. The ALAC supports the designation of At-Large support staff to help enhance its use of social media. It is unclear to the ALAC why the 'Web Community Manager' is used or the relevance of the title. It is also unclear how this recommendation differs from Recommendation 8."

So, that is – and perhaps some of [inaudible] comments could also come into this recommendation. So, any thoughts or comments on the Recommendation 9? The floor is open.

Okay. John?

JOHN LAPRISE: I think this gets back – sorry, John Laprise, for the record. I think this gets back to Olivier’s earlier comments regarding resources, and what resources we actually have, what resources ICANN has, and we have to assess what resources are available to us and build a strategy around that, versus the other way around. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Indeed. I agree, John. But let me ask a question, then. This is Dev. Do you think, then, if there’s a need for additional resources we can then – the ALAC should make the necessary budget request to have it supported, no?

JOHN LAPRISE: Oh, absolutely. John Laprise, again. Yeah.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: So, if we identify the gaps, then –

JOHN LAPRISE: I think it’s one of those situations where [CROSSTALK] there’s so much work to be done – we have so much work to do, that any amount of additional resources are going to be valuable.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Indeed. [inaudible]? Thanks, John. This is Dev – [inaudible], go ahead.

UNKNOWN: [inaudible] this was a very good recommendation, to have a part-time web manager assigned to At-Large social media, and I just want to go one step further to the position that it should be a Staff member of ICANN. In ISOC, we have an example of a [inaudible] expert [inaudible] long-term expert in video and conferences [inaudible] has been [inaudible]. And other members of the [inaudible], and he has done quite a lot of work [inaudible] ISOC participates in an Internet Governance Forum or whenever ISOC [inaudible]. And likewise, in At-Large, we have several volunteers who spend quite a lot of time and who have expert [inaudible] in managing social media. Why not also look for potential web managers from the At-Large community for [inaudible] assign this responsibility who could also [inaudible] somebody from [inaudible] or somebody from [inaudible]? Think about it. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, [inaudible]. When you mentioned ISOC, and I mean – I guess [inaudible] one that comes to mind in terms of, I think they have a core team that's [inaudible] to try to curate content related to Internet governance, and so forth. [inaudible] could probably explain more how that process works [inaudible]. Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, [inaudible] does a Geneva Internet Platform publication every month, where each of our curated articles are there. They've also started to integrate the short videos that I do, based on who they want

---

---

me to interview. That's why I interviewed [inaudible] recently, and I've also done interviews with Avri and Leon. So, the short summaries of sessions or actions are so important to our community, and not everybody has time to attend some of this material. If they can get a synopsis, a summary of what's happening, I think it's a very important communication tool we need to start considering. Because the problem is, people have busy lives, and people pay big money to get small, short, well-thought out summaries of things. And it's something that we don't do very well, and perhaps – somebody suggested a Staff person – I think [inaudible], Dev – that we put into the proposal, maybe similar to what we met with [inaudible], as an example. But, as Susannah has said, we're busy. We're trying to actually be involved with a meeting. We can't do it all.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think – thanks, Glenn – and I think that's really the challenge I [inaudible] with these type of things. As all volunteers, it's very hard to try to do these types of things. And it sounds nice to do, but it's quite a lot of time, effort, and energy to do in addition to all the other volunteer things we're trying to do.

Heidi suggests that – I might as well read it. “Perhaps the ALAC Chair and Working Group Chairs can provide a brief, post-ICANN meeting interview that Staff can moderate, and so forth.” Yes, that's a good idea right there, I think. I think that that could work as one example.

Okay. Any other thoughts or comments on this? Okay, well – alright. [inaudible] see if that's a new hand, or an old hand? But if so, go ahead.

---

Okay, it's an old hand. Alright, that hand was taken down. This is Dev again. So, some thoughts about this. I would say that I would support this recommendation. I think there's also a [inaudible] between this Social Media Working Group – and because it's mentioned things such as outreach, to my mind, it brings up the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee – perhaps needs to be coordinated with that Working Group, in fact, to implement this recommendation, as to how this could work. I think, ultimately, though, I think some funding has to be provided. And I guess the devil's in the details as to how much money, and so forth. But I think perhaps we should look at perhaps drafting a budget proposal in order to implement this idea successfully – some sort of budget proposal that could try to achieve this recommendation. Okay? So, I don't know if anybody has any disagreements or anything like that. Okay, I see agreement there from Heidi, and Susannah also says "plus one." Right? Okay. Any other thoughts or comments? Like I said, floor is open here. This is the time to admit any ideas, or bounce off any ideas on this. Going once – ah, Susannah. Go ahead.

SUSANNAH GRAY:

This is Susannah Gray. Yeah, just to repeat what I said in the chat and just to touch on something you just said. Social media is not a standalone concept, so we would definitely need to work together with other people on this, because it needs to be considered together with the overall community strategy; otherwise, it won't work.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Okay, thanks, Susannah. Okay. Alright, seeing no other further questions or comments on Recommendation 9, let's move now to the third Agenda Item, which is to promote RALO content via social media channels.

So, this Agenda Item came up in terms of, how do we get – promote more of the At-Large community content on our social media channel? We have [inaudible] some suggestions as to whether, should RALOs get their own media channels, and so forth. And I think the question is what type of content RALOs want to share via social media channels, and how do we get such content to us to be shared on At-Large? Because, I think – someone could disagree with me, if they wish – I think the goal of the Social Media Working Group is to share what RALOs are doing, and if we had input or stories or things that we can share, we would share it. So, this is what this Agenda Item was about.

I see Susannah has her hand up already, so – Susannah?

SUSANNAH GRAY: Hi, yeah, this is Susannah Gray. Just coming back to your note about the RALOs having their own social media accounts. This is something I've brought up before, but AFRALO actually has their own Twitter handle, and I wondered how that happened and why the other RALOs don't have their own Twitter handles, and whether we can just start registering their own Twitter handles. Does anybody have any background on that?



---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. So, the thing is, it's not an official – I would say it's not an official Twitter handle, as such. It looks like somebody just went ahead and created it, and just went ahead and used it. So, there was no –

SUSANNAH GRAY: Yeah, but –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: – so there was no formal, “Oh, I was going to let this RALO do their social media channel,” or anything of that sort. So –

SUSANNAH GRAY: Yeah, but the thing is that it looks to me like it's an official one. And I guess it looks to everybody else like it's one, so I think that's a problem.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I agree, and that's why this was brought up as an Agenda Item, to discuss that. So, in terms of how it came about, it certainly didn't come from within the Social Media Working Group, and Staff can probably confirm they are not aware of this social media – this Twitter handle. Ariel, go ahead, and then I saw – I'm not sure who. I think it was Sarah. But Ariel first.

ARIEL LIANG: Thakns, Dev. This is Ariel speaking. I actually do know the person who was behind the handle; I forgot his name, but I met him in Marrakesch, and he actually created that handle specifically to promote AFRALO's

---

activities in Marrakesch – that was last year. And I don't know how to judge what is official or not, but if you look at the handle, it only has 77 followers, and the At-Large official handle has close to 5,000 followers. So, I think there is a distinction there. And also, now they're saying [inaudible] let others know is, this is not a situation just unique to At-Large. If you look at GNSO, there is an official GNSO handle, and then there are other constituency handles. Some are managed by communities, themselves, and are completely independent. Some, they ask ICANN Staff to help manage their content, so it can [inaudible] things. But of course, there is no ICANN general guideline to say what is right or wrong, because from Staff point of view, we don't want to infringe people's independence on that. But if there is a requirement from At-Large to clarify that, that's an Action Item, for us to get in touch with the Comms department to sort this out. Sorry, I'm kind of repeating another item mentioned on the agenda, but I just want to provide a bit of background here.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. Thanks for that, Ariel. Sorry about that. So, this is Dev. So, in terms of going back to the idea of, if there is content that RALOs wish to share, how do we – well, I guess my question is, do we get the RALOs to create content for At-Large social media? Be it Twitter, or – and if it [inaudible] on policy issues, and so forth – then we could probably use Facebook, which allows for much longer content. So, I guess this comes up to what [inaudible] was suggesting. Actually, I'm so sorry – Sarah, you had your hand up. Did you take down your hand, or did you want to say something?

SARAH KIDEN: Hi, this is Sarah. I took my hand down [inaudible] Ariel [inaudible]. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh, okay. Okay, [inaudible]. This is Dev again. So, my thinking is, is that in terms of having [inaudible] blogging or Tweeting about – at the ALS level – not necessarily at the RALO level – because Staff are looking at collating all the different social media handles that the ALSes are using, and their promotion of their activities, and so forth – and perhaps we could look at some way of aggregating at the RALO level what the ALSes are doing at their sessions. I think NARALO has done an interesting thing. They have a NARALO newsletter. If I understand the content of the newsletter, what they do – they solicit their ALSes to contribute content, and it's produced – I believe it's once a month. And I'm sure a person from NARALO can update me as to how that works. But that type of newsletter is, I think, a very easy thing to share on social media. So, perhaps – the first thought is asking the ALS to contribute towards a regional newsletter, as a first step, and then look to share that on social media. And that could give rise to [inaudible] people blogging about [inaudible] end user issues. That could be a [inaudible]to the attention of the regional community, and therefore, the wider At-Large community. Thoughts?

Yes, I believe – there is a comment from Heidi that NARALO is the only RALO with a regional newsletter at this time. So, that's my thinking – is that perhaps, as a way of getting more RALO content, we need to have a

---

regional newsletter talking about – well, I suppose, RALO activities, like if there’s a RALO internal Working Group, or something. But I think that the ALS contributions to that RALO newsletter would then provide lots of material, I think, for the Social Media Working Group, and to be shared on social media. Any thoughts on that? I guess Glenn and John could speak to it from a NARALO perspective, as to how the newsletter is being produced. Susannah, or – ? Oh, Susannah, thank you. Go ahead.

SUSANNAH GRAY:

Yes, this is Susannah. The process is really simple. Basically, Eduardo, who is editing this newsletter, just sends out an email saying, “Send any updates and content to me by a certain date,” and then the ALSes send in their updates into the newsletter. So, it’s a really simple process, but not all the ALSes contribute. So, it’s not everybody doing it, so we don’t have a real overview of what everybody is doing. But it’s a good start.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Well, okay. So, I think this also ties into what ALSes are doing, because a lot of times, we’ve got to keep – well. This is Dev again; sorry. One of the things is that – and this is part of the ALS engagement [inaudible] – you want to find out what the ALSes are doing, and so forth. So, we do need to have, I think, some way of aggregating what the ALSes are doing, perhaps on their social media handle, or posting on their website, and then look to have that aggregated in some manner, so that it becomes a – and because of that handle at the RALO level, it becomes easier for the At-Large social media to make reference to what is

---

happening at the RALO level, at the ALS level. You know? So, what Susannah is suggesting is maybe a requirement for ALSes to provide a monthly report.

Well, I suspect that that might be challenging, to do a monthly report. That's why I think if we had a system of monitoring their social media and website updates, and with a way to aggregate that, then we could probably look at a way of sharing that. So, I think Glenn, I think John, and I see Ariel – I think Glenn was first, and then Ariel, and then John. But – go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, the monthly calls we do with NARALO we also ask communities to share with everyone what they're doing, such as ISOC San Francisco did a readout; so did [inaudible] with ISOC New York, so we ask them what are they actually doing, so they get other people to go actually, and attend, and see what interesting things they're doing, and also to replicate. I just wanted to share with you also, in addition to the monthly newsletter, we also created the NARALO booklet at RGA, and I'm helping APRALO to create one for their next GA. It's an idea for each of the ALSes to complete their profile, so that other members can actually find out who's who. So, that's an interesting process. And the last thing is that at Copenhagen, we did an online magazine.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thanks, Glenn. Thanks, Glenn, for that. And you provided the links, I'm sure, in the chat, I think, to all of those things. Ariel, and then John. Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, Dev. This is Ariel speaking. Just a reminder for everybody – when we look at all these shining new tools and platforms to do all different things, don't forget we have some existing resources to promote RALO content, and I'm somewhat feeling, for example that [inaudible] has been forgotten by many people. Like, we have a dedicated section for the news, and for the news section, you can even filter based on RALO content. And most of the content right now was drafted by Staff based on our understanding of what's happening in the RALOs. But from the RALO point of view, if you want to promote anything, please just let At-Large Staff know, and we can post this content for you. And at least, if you want to learn about At-Large from a lot of official channels within ICANN, they direct people to the website, so it's a very popular platform for promoting your content. So, it's just a simple email to say, "At-Large Staff, can you promote this on the website," and we can definitely do that. And in fact, for example, [inaudible] from APRALO did contact us when he wants us to promote certain things, and even Twitter handles – he wants to promote certain things about the APRALO, and then we helped [inaudible] out. So, just contact us, and then we can at least utilize our existing platforms for these promotions instead of keeping looking at new things. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Ariel. This is Dev. John?

---

JOHN LAPRISE:

Thank you. John Laprise, for the record. I just have two comments. One is that – back to Olivier’s point – is that all of these tools, new and old, the content curation, all of this requires, at the end of the day, resources – which, in this case, is people, to do this. So, at the end of the day, we require more resources to implement these kinds of plans. I also, once again, want to – and this is in line with Ariel’s comment – so, I’m sitting here at my computer, and I pull up the ICANN At-Large website on my mobile. It’s not very mobile-friendly. I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again, is that, for an organization that administers the Internet, we have to do something about our interfaces. They’re just not good enough. So, I don’t know if that’s beyond the purview of this particular Working Group, but yeah, it just needs to be said. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. This is Dev. Well, [inaudible] on that the TTF will be having a call [inaudible] to talk about policy tracking and so forth, so – while I think the challenge [inaudible] to do this on mobile, so I think your contributions will be certainly welcome on that call. Going back – just looking at the queue. Glenn, you have an additional comment? Go ahead.

Okay, that’s an old hand. Alright, this is Dave. So, I think that perhaps if we [inaudible] up with the regional leadership, in terms of – I think perhaps we [inaudible] to look at asking the RALOs to develop a newsletter, I think, because – I’m just trying to think of the easiest way of implementing these ideas, in terms of, you know. Because – how should I put it? The RALOs, themselves, aren’t doing the monthly

---

reports; not all RALOs. One or two RALOs are doing it, but I know some RALOs aren't doing it, probably. I think perhaps if there was also an incentive here to say, "Okay, [inaudible] newsletter that could go out and be shared," ask for contributions from the ALSes, and it's not retyping new content, or whatever. The ALSes can share what they've been posting on their website, what they're doing on their social media channels and so forth. [inaudible] linking to that content. And then, that newsletter, as well as [inaudible] can also be part of the RALOs' monthly report.

So, the question from Heidi was that, "Would a cross-regional newsletter be useful?" I would see, potentially yes, but I think it has to be curated at the RALO level first, to even see whether a cross-regional one would be useful. I think the challenge of doing a cross-regional one first might be a – I would like to see, and especially if you want to get the ALSes more engaged and so forth in sharing what they're doing – and it may not be ICANN-related, but I'm sure it's on governance-related topics – it would be a good way of engaging with the ALSes, helping them feel they could share their content with the RALO, to find their like-minded concerns understood and shared, and promote a certain level of engagement, and then we get more information. And again, that can then be shared on our social media channel. So – but that's my initial thought. John, you have your hand raised. Sorry about that. And I know we've now reached the top of the hour, so go ahead.

Okay, I see the hand has dropped – been lowered. Any other thoughts or comments?



---

JOHN LAPRISE: I'm sorry, I was on mute. John Laprise, for the record. I'll make this quick. Why don't we instead ask the RALOs what kind of content they would like to advance towards the social media effort, rather than dictating down? I think that might be a more useful avenue to approach the RALO leadership to ask them for content, in the interest of extending a social media presence, rather than telling them [inaudible]. Let them make the decisions about what's important.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Okay, thanks for that. Alright, any other thoughts or comments, then?

Okay, going once, going twice, going thrice – alright. So, let's work on the Action Items and let's work on [inaudible] John to – in terms of how you want to ask the RALOs. Perhaps we need to have it as an email and have it translated, and so forth, as to the type of content you want – the RALO content that they want shared on social media. I still think [inaudible] how NARALO's done their newsletter offers a great way – I think – forward, in terms of getting content from the ALSes from the community. So – okay? So, you can [inaudible] subtract that. You can try to [inaudible] something in time for the next social media call.

Again, please do look at Recommendation 8 and Recommendation Number 9 and make your comments. As John said, time is of the essence. This is the month where we have to make our comments now, before the review gets sent to the Board for review. Okay? Alright, with that, I would like to thank everyone for attending this call, and thanks for everybody for the contributions – very informative and

---

[inaudible] to share the ideas. So, I look forward to seeing you on the call and interacting on the mailing list, and of course, on social media. Thank you all, and have a wonderful afternoon, morning day. Bye. Thank you. This call is now –

UNKNOWN: Thank you, all.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Thank you, all. This call is now adjourned. Please do not forget to disconnect your lines when leaving the AC Room and the bridge, and have a wonderful rest of your day. Thanks so much.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**