
RECORDED VOICE: This meeting is now being recorded.

BOBAN KRSIC: Participating today on the call – so thanks, also, Staff. Yvette, thanks for organizing it, and just sending out the previous invitation. And I would like to discuss with you, team, the following two or three issues. They are first of all, feedback on the new structure of the subtopic, and I sent out one or two emails and didn't get any feedback on this. It would be good to get any feedback on the new structure, how to deal with it, or do you have an idea how to make it better. And the second one is also how to deal with the key action steps [inaudible]. We have six people in the subgroup, and we have to decide who is responsible for what, and how we will work on it. And I wasn't participating last week on the conference call – or the Tuesday conference call – so I don't know if [inaudible] told you that we will meet in August. We have [inaudible] meeting, and we will discuss some other topics and also put two or three hours [inaudible] time to structure and to finalize the SSR 2 [inaudible] on this topic.

So, let's [inaudible] the first question. Feedback on the new structure. What do you think of it? Is it okay? Can you work on it? Did you miss something? Because we started with [inaudible] items, and now we have nine work items, and I began to describe it – what's the goal of each topic and what to do with it. So, my first question to Denise, and to you, Kerry-Ann, what do you think about it?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

DENISE MICHEL: I'm just trying to locate it [inaudible]. [inaudible] email. When was it sent out?

BOBAN KRSIC: Oh, I think it was in the beginning of July. Maybe the first week.

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah, I just want to refresh my memory on it.

BOBAN KRSIC: I [inaudible] – okay, perfect. Let me [inaudible] at it. I think –

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Hi, Boban, this is Yvette. Do you remember what you would have titled it?

BOBAN KRSIC: Yeah, I'm looking for just – give me two minutes – or certainly not two minutes.

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Okay. No problem. We'll find it.

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah. It was sent – is this the one that was sent June 4th? Or is that older? Yvette – or Bernie, is it on the wiki? Can I just look there?

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Okay, I'm looking for it now. I see something set up at the beginning of July that was a Google Doc for the Work Plan –

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes. Yes.

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: – some security framework – is it the Work Plan? Is that what you're looking for?

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes.

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Let me see if I can – I did have one Work Plan uploaded here. I don't know if – is this what you're looking for? Does it look familiar?

BOBAN KRSIC: No. No, no, no.

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: This isn't it. Okay. Let me see if I can get that other Google Doc.

BOBAN KRSIC: Let's try this one. That was initial output from our [inaudible] –

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Is this what you're – ?

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes.

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Okay. I wasn't sure. This is it?

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes, yes.

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Okay. So, this is where ICANN SSR starts, right here. This is a subtopic from Madrid, and the ICANN –

BOBAN KRSIC: Number one [inaudible] –

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Right there. Okay.

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes. This is number two, and –

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Then, if we go down, it has the work items and action steps, along with comments.

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes. That's what I meant, yeah.

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Okay. You want –

BOBAN KRSIC: So, I tried to describe it – yes. That's it.

YVETTE GUIGNEAUX: Okay.

BOBAN KRSIC: So, now we have the following nine key action steps, and first one is “[inaudible] ICANN [inaudible] separation processes, which includes but is not limited to the following.” And these are one of the [inaudible] from the thirty-seven items which we had at the beginning of the document. So, what I tried is to reorganize it and to find key action steps, and to focus on different topics.

The first one is ICANN [inaudible] security [inaudible]. The second one is ISOC security management [inaudible]. So, what was the idea? The idea is to perform a comprehensive assessment of ICANN's [inaudible] security management system, with a focus on the security management

system. And we talk about best practices – candor is sensible – and [inaudible] related processes. And here are some – only some – from the [inaudible] two or [inaudible] three [inaudible] one. And what should be in the scope and that ought to [inaudible]. So, the idea was to perform a gap analysis, to perform interviews or to write a description [inaudible] something about [inaudible], risk management, risk treatment, resources [inaudible], [inaudible] photography, physical and environmental security, operational security, [inaudible] maintenance, and [inaudible] relationships. And all this together is linked to security management.

We have a similar topic as the next one, work item number three. It's a focus on business continuity management within ICANN. So, can we – ah, perfect, I can move it. So, same organization like topic number two, but only with a focus on business continuity and also [inaudible] two and [inaudible] three [inaudible] three [inaudible] that's the standard, and that [inaudible] to this continuity management. And what should be in the scope? In the scope should be [inaudible] that covers the following domains. And let's talk about the domain, itself. The Top-Level Domain [inaudible] in the standard. Anyone or someone that ICANN had to talk to us [inaudible] all day [inaudible] business continuity objectives [inaudible] plan [inaudible] operation [inaudible] in place [inaudible] was for business continuity [inaudible] in place [inaudible] and how [inaudible]. So, same topic like number two, but only focused on business continuity. It was in this work item number three.

Work Item number four focused on security and [inaudible] management process, and [inaudible] – so, what you can do or what

ICANN has in place here to prevent some DNS-related incidents and here also are some issues on this topic. That's the point where it stops.

Number five is [inaudible] direction like security incident management. It's not security incident management; it's security incident response planning, so it's only part of the security incident management process.

The other ones, they're a group of – number six, number seven, number eight, and number nine – they're a group of the other topics which [inaudible] from the thirty-seven. So, I tried to create three or four new groups here and to put all the stuff inside. What I need from you is feedback on this. Any feedback would be great here. So, I think only [inaudible] was one – he wrote me an email about the security incident process [inaudible] scope, and that was the only feedback I got from anyone here. So, how you deal with it – is it [inaudible], what do you think about it – the structure, and can we work on it?

Denise, Kerry-Ann? Denise, go ahead.

DENISE MICHEL:

Oh, sure. Yeah, I owe you items – I think number six – relates to the registrars, which I can send along. So, I think one of the – it strikes me that there's an enormous amount of work here, and – were we thinking of hiring a consultant to do a first pass or review of items listed? Or a full analysis of all the different elements, and then providing a report to the team? Or, I guess, another option was, were we thinking of doing sort of an initial investigation ourselves, and then recommending an independent analysis of these items as a recommendation action item

for ICANN? And I apologize if I'm asking questions that were already covered – I was in another group on – last time this subtopic group met.

BOBAN KRSIC: So – Kerry-Ann, are you there? [inaudible]

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: I think the first time we had kind of thought about doing a subgroup, generally, the method being logic, I'm okay with. I [inaudible] a lot of work, but I'm seeing – I mean, it's only [inaudible]. I don't know [inaudible] if this was the group that Eric led that he said he wouldn't be a part of anymore.

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes, I think so. I think it's [inaudible]. I'm not sure, but I think he wrote an email and he said that he would like to go.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: So we probably have to update [inaudible] that would make [inaudible] to a sixth or seventh person. It's something that could be done [inaudible] is technical [inaudible] concern that I would have. The idea being, a subgroup is to actually do some of the analysis. I mean, what Denise is asking in terms of whether or not we'll have a consultant that will come in and do some of the more specific analysis, we could probably think about that. But some of these action items I think could be further consolidated, based on what we can tangibly do in the [inaudible] that we have or the capacity that we have. [inaudible] six of

us [inaudible] some are [inaudible] some are [inaudible]. We could actually probably reduce even further, especially as related to specific standards [inaudible] need a general recommendation based on our initial analysis, as Denise suggested.

One thing we have to consider [inaudible] Denise is, when James and I had met with Legal, they said something that was not related to our subgroup, but they said something that was pretty – that stood out to me. They had suggested to us, even as Legal, sometimes they're not privy or have access to a lot of documents throughout the entire body of ICANN. So, I think in addition to doing this, we probably have to do an analysis to see what information we'll get access to [inaudible] public respondees to the language [inaudible] access it in place of [inaudible] comprehensive [inaudible] more comprehensive at this point. And if we up front know that some of these documents [inaudible] confidential information, or just not accessible [inaudible] in the time frame that we needed, it would mean that [inaudible] the Work Plan [inaudible] we could have [inaudible] the type of information we require for each, send that out to the ICANN Staff to figure out where this information would reside, and if we'll have access to it up front, and that would kind of help us to reduce this.

The [inaudible] of the subgroup and just the general comments [inaudible] slow in getting the work started, because we're working through a lot of these nuances now. I would [inaudible] doing that, but I think it would be some value, Boban, in trying to think what kind of document we usually require for this, what years we're thinking of these documents. If we're thinking about the past year, the past two years, current – meaning things that have happened this year – so we

could be a little bit more specific in the documents we need to actually [inaudible]. The larger [inaudible] – the larger community makes a lot of sense; we just have to think how we will tangibly achieve it. And [inaudible] subgroup [inaudible].

I'm speaking a lot, but I have one more thing on my mind in terms of the subgroup operations [inaudible] Yvette [inaudible] could answer. I had raised in Copenhagen the possibility of subgroups meeting geographically – for example, to see if a subgroup [inaudible] divide the work if we're able to meet within geographic spread. I don't know how that would mean in terms of support and recording, etcetera, based on where ICANN has [inaudible] operations for the transparency part of it. But I think we could get some of this work done [inaudible] time for that [inaudible] even smaller teams within the subgroups. And I don't know if it's allowed, or if unless we have you guys there, we can't meet remotely, for example, let's say Boban and I decide to meet online and you [inaudible] or something just to advance the work [inaudible] shared doc [inaudible] could give me some insight into that.

DENISE MICHEL:

This is Denise. If I could just jump in on that last question – team members can meet and work and discuss things as the need arises. It's always nice to have the Staff doing recordings, but it's not mandatory, and if you can get together with other team members and get work done, that's great. Just make sure we jot down notes, so there's a record of what was addressed, to share with the rest of the team and on the wiki.

KAREN MULBERRY:

Hi, this is Karen. I'm just trying to – I was just listening only to the conversation, and Denise, I don't think you captured it. The Review Teams have an obligation to be transparent in what they're doing, and to be accountable for the work that they're progressing. And those are kind of laid out in the bylaws, so as much as we can document and make publicly available, it's important that we refocus on making sure that everything is transparent and accountable for what you're doing. So, if we can be there to participate, that would be great. But we do need to have at least a meeting summary or a record, if Staff support is unable to be part of those discussions.

DENISE MICHEL:

And to be clear – this is Denise – we're not going to sacrifice actually getting work done for an idea of a particular way of implementing transparency. Anything that this group or any individual on the team does, comes back, ultimately, to the full team. There will always be a full accounting and discussion of what the full team moves forward. So, to be clear, don't let the idea of not having a Staff person there or not having a conversation recorded get in the way of getting the work done. So, please feel free to meet with other people, talk to the people on the phone or work online. As long as we bring it back to the subtopic groups and back to the team, it will eventually be in the public domain. So, at this point, the most important thing is to actually start getting work done.

BOBAN KRSIC:

I heard a lot of good ideas, and – well, what do you think about the following? So, I will meet [inaudible] in two weeks. We will try to analyze it and to describe it. [inaudible] document [inaudible] propose that ICANN should deliver or should give out to analyze it, and what the actual [inaudible] the relevant topic, and then we will decide internally in the team how to move forward in an efficient way. So, in my opinion, conference calls are only [inaudible] instrument, and nothing more. We have to organize [inaudible] opinion. The next ICANN meeting is in November, and I think it would be good to organize a face-to-face workshop with the team members. Maybe one day we can spend reviewing documents and analyzing documents, and maybe the other day, interviewing someone from ICANN directly, who is responsible for the topics. So, what is the idea? Go to the second or the third item, because I know the domain very well. So, I know what documents have to be there, and what we have to [inaudible] or what we should [inaudible]. And if ICANN sent them to us, we can regulate – we can analyze it, and it would be good [inaudible] good position to talk to anyone to ICANN who is responsible for the domain. And I think it would be the best to talk directly to him, and not only via conference through something else. So, maybe we could organize it – or [inaudible], from ICANN, could organize a Doodle poll and we can try to find something, maybe at the beginning of September or the middle of September, to come together for our face-to-face meeting, maybe somewhere located where the ICANN Staff is. [inaudible] I don't know where they are sitting and [inaudible] with them [inaudible] and to bring it back to the team to work on it, to draft the first document, to have it in place for Abu Dhabi and for our January meeting. So, I think

this could work, and that's what I propose [inaudible] to move forward on these topics here. What do you think about it?

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Boban?

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: So, I think that makes sense. I support it. Probably when you and [inaudible] meet – I think what I'm always conscious of is that ICANN [inaudible] calls [inaudible] documents [inaudible] documents based on what you think you need and [inaudible] input as well as the documents you think you may need – do they need input from ICANN Legal [inaudible] perspective [inaudible]? We can give broader descriptions, as well – not just to give them the titles of documents that we are familiar with, but [inaudible] description of what we know we might need. For example, the business continuity plan – we may not know whose name is that, and a business continuity plan for what. [inaudible] the infrastructure. So, at least when we send the list in – because I'm very [inaudible] we need to just start working, as Denise said as well – when we send the list in, [inaudible] very clear what we're asking for, and it doesn't feel like we're doing a fishing expedition with them, either. [inaudible] other subgroup, we actually sound very certain about what our objectives are and what we plan to achieve from the analysis what we hope to do. And I do like the idea – and probably

Karen, Yvette, Bernard [inaudible] what was the last suggestion that Boban gave [inaudible] where you guys are to actually have some [inaudible]. I don't know what the budget looks like, but [inaudible] entire team meets, [inaudible]. And I don't know if this facility allows for document sharing and editing. I don't know that room allows that, or if we have to adopt another platform [inaudible] groundwork [inaudible] we can actually facilitate that, so we can figure it out from there.

DENISE MICHEL:

This is Denise. I think it looks like a reasonable set of next steps. And Kerry-Ann, I think the team would be happy to entertain subtopic groups, or certain team members getting together, and we just need to look at it overall, in terms of our travel budget, what we can accommodate. And I think, particularly at this level of work, you can use whatever document sharing programs you feel comfortable with to start generating work and [inaudible] into the wiki, or bring it into, say, Google Docs, to provide wider access to it. And then, I think, James [inaudible] was really keen to have people consider another document sharing program, but he hasn't had a chance to talk to the team about it yet.

BOBAN KRSIC:

[inaudible] to organize [inaudible]

DENISE MICHEL:

Try that again

BOBAN KRSIC: – [inaudible] doing –

DENISE MICHEL: – and then I'll –

BOBAN KRSIC: – [inaudible] always it's better to talk to someone about a topic, and not only speak to Eric [inaudible] not only on [inaudible]. It's much better to help someone [inaudible] to discuss [inaudible] topic, and I think it's more [inaudible] because of limited time [inaudible]. If we spend one or two days and really work on this, I think the output would be better than to say, "Okay, let's [inaudible] to organize something about [inaudible]" –

DENISE MICHEL: Sure.

BOBAN KRSIC: [inaudible]." So, it's easier for me, and I think it's also for you, to say, "Okay, let's [inaudible] one or two days on the [inaudible] and [inaudible] to work [inaudible]. And then we say, "Okay, [inaudible], I would prefer to get over there and then decide if we need some [inaudible] services or something else here. Because the first step should be, "Okay, I will finalize it, we'll describe it, what we have and what we need." Then we will be [inaudible] and there are two or three

questions also for me for scope and purpose. So, hopefully, the idea was to start from [inaudible] approach, and not only to talk about [inaudible] and service [inaudible] only to say, "Okay, what are the services that are provided by ICANN, internal and external?" And that should be the main point in the [inaudible] to start with your scoping and to move forward from this point. So, what we need is an answer to a question. So, are they addressed to the [inaudible] or not, and do we have some answers to them, and that will be the baseline for our scope team to work on [inaudible] and to the structure of our work, and then we can decide, "Okay, is there a topic [inaudible] or can we [inaudible] what we would like to see there?" And this decision, we have to make [inaudible] in Abu Dhabi. But we have to decide [inaudible] because we have a time [inaudible], so we [inaudible] committed [inaudible] and we [inaudible], but not really. [inaudible] time is going on, and now [inaudible] Abu Dhabi, and at the near end of December, nothing happened, [inaudible] after the middle of December, [inaudible] then we'll go ahead in January, and yeah. So, I think we should try to – it's too [inaudible] yet to say, "Okay, that's our final structure, that's what we need, we will circulate it on the mailing list, we will provide it to the ICANN Staff there, and we hope to get the document and to analyze it, and maybe we can organize [inaudible] workshop [inaudible] the Abu Dhabi ICANN meeting, that would be only what we should work on it.

DENISE MICHEL:

Right, yeah. This is Denise. That makes sense to me. I think it also would be useful to [inaudible] more specifically, if there are obvious things that we can ask Staff for assistance with – identifying documents,

fleshing things out on this initial list, it would be good to indicate that now.

BOBAN KRSIC: Kerry-Ann, [inaudible]?

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Can you guys hear me?

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes. Yes, now.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: [inaudible] I didn't hear the responses from Staff, so I was just going to jump in for a second. Boban [inaudible] outlined, so I think hopefully once [inaudible] probably when you identify [inaudible] Staff and they could probably tell us where you think we may be able to get the information, or to see – or just from their knowledge of processes, what would be the best angle to go at it, [inaudible] and other subteam members can probably [inaudible] and then I think [inaudible] probably just set up [inaudible] where we just [inaudible] if we're doing it locally. I don't know if you can come over on this end [inaudible] where [inaudible] are for [inaudible] and where [inaudible] but I wanted to do the work up front or [inaudible] get it done. So, yeah, I think [inaudible] it's a good mixture.

BOBAN KRSIC: [inaudible] Karen.

KAREN MULBERRY: [inaudible]. I just wanted to suggest, if you want to propose [inaudible] security folks at ICANN, and if you can put the ask in writing – in particular, outlining some things and topics that you’re interested in hearing more about [inaudible] issues – sorry, I [inaudible] the dogs are barking at the [inaudible] in the front yard. The more you can outline in terms of what you want the meeting for, the questions you would like answered [inaudible], and some guides that you might have as to when you would like to arrange this meeting, [inaudible] the most productive it can be.

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes, certainly.

KAREN MULBERRY: And then, I would [inaudible] to holding a subteam meeting [inaudible] I’m not sure [inaudible] should probably go through the Review Team for concurrence, because you’re going to spend the Review Team money.

DENISE MICHEL: Yes.

BOBAN KRSIC: So, Denise?

DENISE MICHEL: Yes. [CROSSTALK] So sorry, that's an old hand.

BOBAN KRSIC: Ah, okay. So, yes, perfect [inaudible]. We will try to send it to the list, I think, at the end of August – no, in three weeks. [inaudible] on the 16th and 17th of August [inaudible], and we will send them our [inaudible] and [inaudible] to the list, and I think that should be our [inaudible] to decide how to move forward on the topics. Yes, it sounds good to me. It makes sense, and – yeah, I hope [inaudible] and with six people, I think six is a good number to work with [inaudible]. It's really a lot of stuff here, and maybe we can – we have to keep in mind [inaudible] is an option, and we should start [inaudible].

DENISE MICHEL: Yes, I think that's a good point, too, about making sure that the identifiers [inaudible] soon as possible [inaudible] elements we are going to need outside help for, or [inaudible] – yeah.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Thanks a lot, Boban, for getting this [inaudible] wheels on [inaudible].

BOBAN KRSIC: Yeah. Thank you for participating [inaudible], and – yes. Hope to see you tomorrow, and I would like to say thank you all, and the [inaudible] should be [inaudible] we will all [inaudible], we will all [inaudible] to the

list at the end of August, and then we will decide if it's [inaudible] to come together in a face-to-face workshop, we have to work on it prior to Abu Dhabi, or [inaudible]. So – yeah. [inaudible] and see you tomorrow, and have a good [inaudible].

UNKNOWN: Thanks everybody, so much [CROSSTALK]

DENISE MICHEL: Thank you, everyone. Bye-bye.

UNKNOWN: Thank you.

UNKNOWN: Thanks.

BOBAN KRSIC: Thanks – bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]