

---

ALAIN PATRICK AINA:

...and look at them and see if some of them seem to be redundant, some not needed, and see which ones we keep, which ones we rephrase or what we add [inaudible]. I was planning we discuss on the first point. So one point, I agree on the methodology, so how shall we approach this review of the implementation of the SSR1 recommendation. And then at that point, check the timeline. Once we have agreed what we have, we agree on [the work item] and then make the [review], we shall be able to set some timeline, what do we do and when, considering the [inaudible] timeline for the team, for the global team. Then that may be other business.

So anything you want to add?

DENISE MICHEL:

This seems like a good list to tackle. I would add, I think, as part of that – and I guess we'll need to do this on the list – confirm if this is our standing call time and how frequently we want to or need to have phone calls. I guess this may be part of a work item, but I think it would be useful to do a robust review and start sharing some thoughts on the implementation and, as soon as possible, identify if there are areas where we need additional information gathering or research.

Yeah. And then just really kind of a housekeeping item, I found it a little challenging in reviewing all of the material related to this. It's our one recommendation that's quite disparate. It's located in lots and lots of different places. Would it be possible to have staff sort of gather things

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

together into logical groupings, to make it easier for us to do a deep dive on the actual implementation and impact of the implementation?

What I mean by this is there's that slide-based implementation report that has some links, but not all. There's additional presentation slides and additional information that was provided separately. And then there's some additional relevant background material that relates to the implementation of specific recommendations. Would it be possible for staff to use the broad groupings of the recommendations and create indexes of the implementation material within each of those groupings?

Am I explaining this well enough? Does that make sense to anyone?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA:

Yes, that makes sense. Okay, we already started a discussion. So, staff, I think I [inaudible] what Denise said was part anyway, part of this I think we have discussed. I thought we had agreed on methodology and we probably need more information from staff. And I think that it may be good that if the staff can also help and put together. Some of the implementation report, some of them have links, some not. And what at some point we also look at the staff to have some information on the impact on the implementation of the recommendations.

So we put this at action item [inaudible]. Karen?

KAREN MULBERRY:

I'm sorry, could you repeat that question, please?

---

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Did you hear what Denise said and what I added?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Right, so we just want to clarify that we understand the [ask] properly. I think that you're saying that the SSR1 implementation information is in a lot of different places at the moment, so perhaps Negar and I can work together to put everything that we have in one place. Maybe the subteam wiki page would be a good place for that. I don't know. But certainly, we can work on it and getting it all together in one place, according to the way that the briefings were organized.

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah, could you just – please, go ahead, Alain.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Okay, go ahead, Denise.

DENISE MICHEL: No, no, no, you first, Alain.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: I was just going to say that. Okay, especially the material we got to the briefing, they are in multiple locations. It would be good if we could get them in one location, as complement to the implementation report. The last [inaudible] of the implementation report seemed to have some of the detail but you could also combine all the briefing material we have in one place, please, in one, it will help. I don't know if I made it clear.

---

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah, you got it. Personally, I think it would be easiest to use the Google Doc that we already have on the implementation briefings. It groups the recommendations by broad category, which is useful, because implementation of several of the recommendations are interrelated, and the material supporting the implementation and assessment of multiple recommendations will be the same material.

And what we're discussing here is not new information. It's spread in a lot of different places on the wiki. It's not conducive to doing a deep dive in the material. If you go to this Google Doc that says, "SSR1 Implementation Briefings," and you look at how it's organized, grouped by topics, you could just use that table and start adding titles and links to the relevant implementation material, that, I think, would be really useful.

So could the staff on the call let us know if they understand and if this is something they can get done in the next day or two?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Sure, I think that's understood. And, yes, we could work on that. We'd need more probably than a day, but I think early next week we can definitely get that for you.

DENISE MICHEL: Sure, sure. I didn't mean in a day. Yeah, in a few days. Again, what we're really talking about here is a reorganization, right? You're taking things that you've got on the wiki, that you've already put on our e-mail list,

---

and I think in large part put somewhere on the wiki, and populate this table.

So, for example, when we want to do a deep dive on everything ICANN has done to fully implement Recommendation 2, we can look at all of the relevant material in one place at one time, instead of hunting and searching everywhere. Make sense?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Yes.

DENISE MICHEL: Great. And then, Alain, to your other question – and that will also help, I think, facilitate the subgroup’s discussion about whether any additional fact finding or research or information gathering is needed on any of the recommendations.

And then, Alain, I guess my... I was thinking that with the [price] of a basic gap analysis on the implementation actions and assessing their impact, what were you thinking about, in terms of the critical assessment of each recommendation?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Yeah, I think that sounds good as methodology. What we call it, audit. We see, where do we need more information and do a gap analysis. And then I think from there, we should be able to now start looking at the, yeah, impact of the implementation.

---

But I also have a question. And probably, I think, I see Steve. Steve, do you think that I have [if possible] or someone who is in charge of follow up of the [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Excuse me. Excuse me.

DENISE MICHEL: Could people go on mute if they're not talking? I'm having a hard time hearing you, Alain. I'm sorry, could you repeat that?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: I was actually, ICANN has internally the team of someone who is in charge of follow up of the SSR1 recommendation implementation, someone who's the contact, who is in charge of following and analyzing the effect, the impact. Do [inaudible] –

DENISE MICHEL: And that was a question for Steve, or...?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Yes, I think Steve must be the best to answer my question.

STEVE CONTE: I can certainly go and find out from staff. As we're finding out from the briefings, the implementation spanned across the organization. So the ownership of the recommendations does not sit within the Office of

---

CTO, to my knowledge, although a lot of them, as we find out, you had ten or so that were. But I could see if there's an overall implementation owner. I, off the cuff, don't know that answer.

DENISE MICHEL:

Yeah, and I think it's a good question. A really important question as well, Steve, it would be important for the review team to understand staff's thinking in fairly specific ways so we can understand what staff's rationale was in what their objective or goal was in noting the particular recommendation was fully implemented. So in order for staff to say it's fully implemented, you have, of course, need to define what is the objective that you're trying to achieve. And then you check the box so you have a feel that the objective was met.

I think we'd want to make sure we have a clear understanding for each recommendation of what staff was aiming for and how they quantified success.

STEVE CONTE:

So, I'm sorry, if we can clarify, my understanding at first was to find an owner of the entire recommendation report and who was chasing that. But, Denise, what I'm hearing from you is who is actually looking at each recommendation and determining the outcome and goals, the goals and outcome of each recommendation. Am I understanding this wrong?

DENISE MICHEL:

Yeah, so I think Alain was asking, is there one person that was tracking the assessment and impact of the SSR recommendations at large, I

---

think. Right, Alain? Like is there one person we can have an in-depth discussion with about what the metrics were, what the objectives, and how ICANN came to the decision that it had met defined objectives for all the various recommendations. I think that was Alain's question.

And then sort of stepping off from that was – and kind of related to that is – one of the team's tasks is to assess the impact. And I think part of assessing that impact is understanding what staff was trying to achieve when it declared each and what it measured when it declared each recommendation complete fully, fully implemented.

STEVE CONTE: Okay. Thanks for that clarity. I'll go ahead and take that as a [inaudible].

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah. Does that make sense? And you're right, it varies quite widely, since these recommendations cross a lot of different areas within ICANN.

STEVE CONTE: Yeah, I'll take that up offline with Karen and we'll discuss that. And we will come back with answers to those two questions, as well.

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah.



---

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Yeah, good, Steve. I think this is very important point to look at, because, as Denise said, I think before the staff or before the organization decide to implement the recommendation, I'm sure that there are some internal discussions and agreement on the objectives, how we approach, and what do we expect as a result. And probably, you may have some internal document, as well, not only what we have on the slide set. Maybe there are some internal documents on each recommendation, the understanding, the approach, the expected outcome, maybe.

STEVE CONTE: Okay. We'll identify the right people in which to get them in front of this subteam and have that discussion.

DENISE MICHEL: Thanks, Steve.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: So good. So okay. So I think maybe next thing we need to discuss out of discussion, I saw – can we, next slide? Can we move on a slide, please? Okay. So for the work item, I think we will take it on the list. So probably I will try to open a discussion and point out some of the things I think are not needed, and we can look at it there on the final list of work items. This is fine with you, Denise?

DENISE MICHEL: Yes, that sounds good.

---

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Okay, so next. Yeah, next. Next, next, next. This is timeline for, okay, the general [list]. I want to go through the slide where the next [inaudible] the next briefing.

Okay. So according to this schedule, next week, we'll have the briefing on the risk management, the IT. And August, 1<sup>st</sup> of August, we shall be done with. So is it [inaudible] already planned or subject to change.

DENISE MICHEL: So, yes, so my understanding is these last two briefings have been scheduled, so we do expect to be done with the briefings by August 1. Was that your question, Alain?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Yes, that's my question, to see if we'll be able to make to the 1<sup>st</sup> of August in line of –

DENISE MICHEL: Yes, as far as I know. I think staff would let us know if something came up and we weren't on this schedule. And just a note, where the status indicates, "Not required at this time per co-Chairs," that's simply because those four recommendations are simple and straightforward and really don't... There's really not much else to say about them. In other words, like briefings, per se, aren't really required.

---

That's not to say that in the course of our assessment we may surface additional questions about how staff interpreted or is measuring or other things about that. But there wasn't really anything else to be briefed on with respect to those recommendations at that point.

For example, issuing a clear statement of the responsibilities of SSAC and RSSAC, both those teams did that years ago and it's published, and there's really not much else to brief, in terms of that very basic recommendation. So we took that off the briefing list.

So does that all make sense, Alain?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA:

Yeah, it makes sense. But I do have a question. So the recommendation where not required at this time, okay, I think the team... Okay, can we say that we'll look at them and decide if we need them before the team starts working on it? Or are we... I think we should, as team now, because this was decided by co-Chairs, but I think will the co-Chairs allow the team now to look at them again and decide when to request briefing on them?

DENISE MICHEL:

Oh, absolutely. Yeah, it's free will here. We had such a hard time getting briefings on the really substantive, numerous recommendations that we took the simple ones that, at first glance, didn't seem to need in-depth briefings and took them off the list. You should feel completely empowered to ask for additional briefings, information on anything that you want on this list.

---

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Okay. Okay. Last slide, please.

JENNIFER BRYCE: That's all the reference slides that we have for this deck. Were there other items that you wanted us to pull up?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: I'm a having hard time hearing you, Jennifer. Can you speak a bit louder?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Sure, sorry about that. I was just saying that there's no more slides here, but if there's something that you would like us to pull up?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: No, no, no, I think that is okay. That is okay. So I think we are good now. So I think, okay, we need to... We've got one or two action items on here for staff and one action item for [inaudible] to take the discussion on the work items on the mailing list. And on the mailing list, we will discuss the timeline we could now [inaudible] go by 1<sup>st</sup> of August we will complete the briefing on the recommendations. So we should be able now to work on the timeline for the team based on what we just discussed, our methodology. And [depends] on what we get from staff, we should be able to say, "Okay, so when do we finish all the information need? When do we start now looking at recommendation

---

and the implementation of the recommendation and when we could be able to come up with maybe a draft document on the implementation of the etc, etc., etc.” We’ll leave this up to the list.

But I saw Ram on the call. Hi, Ram. Hello? Okay. So I hear nothing from Ram.

So, okay, I think maybe we open Any Other Business. Denise, you have [anything]?

DENISE MICHEL:

Yeah, just I think one more note. It would be good to discuss, I think, further on the e-mail list is that the... We’re, I think, as a team looking to build out our work plan in more detail overall. And so we’re asking for each of the subtopic groups, as they dig into their work, to refine their own work plan and work items and timeline to the extent that they can. So I think it would be useful for the subgroup to take a look at the very high level work plan and timeline and start thinking about how we can add more detail and more interim deadlines for our work.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA:

Okay. I think as a rapporteur, I have [to look in]. I will try to [locate] something and then get the team to add, and we have the plan. Then we’ll share it with the global team.

DENISE MICHEL:

Yes, I think that would be very useful.

---

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Okay. Okay. So then there may be one point I also want to raise today, that for these things, we have only four in this subteam, because at some point many people said, “Oh, this was not so important. SSR1 was not so important.” But, okay, this group may do the work, but I think maybe we need more people. I don’t know what to think.

DENISE MICHEL: Well, yeah, I think we could always use more people. And I think that should be part of our discussion of the tasks that we have, the work items and the timeline that we want to adhere to. And then if we feel like we don’t have enough people to share the load, or if we feel like we want additional support, either from staff or outside of staff, that’s something that would be good for us to come to a decision about soon in the next few weeks.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Yes, because I also feel concerned that we have Denise, and by default you have the co-Chair’s load, plus the other team. Eric, also co-Chair’s role, plus other. So it looks like –

DENISE MICHEL: That’s an excellent point, Alain. I am very aware of that. Yeah, and so, yeah, maybe we really should put this issue on the table up front about whether we can structure the work so that we have a consultant that, under our direction, goes through the material, does the basic gap analysis, and comes back to the team. But as we look for work that we

---

can outsource under our guidance to help move this forward, if we're not going to get any additional workers on this team. Is that what you're thinking?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA:

Yes. I think we may also need the plenary to also look at – and I think this is something for the co-Chairs to look at, the [disposition] we have right now and see if it is fair and we redistribute. Because now, okay, people just choose to be here and there. But is this well-balanced? Or can we try to redistribute among the subteam?

DENISE MICHEL:

Yeah, that's a good point, and we should address that, as well. I'll definitely talk to Eric about it, as well.

And there's also the fact that Emily has left, and GNSO has been asked if they want to replace her with an additional appointment. Hopefully, they will, and they'll be able to do that quickly. And so that might give us another warm body to help here.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA:

Okay, good. So if there is nothing from Ram – Ram, can you type if you want to say something before we... I asked if [anything] to adjourn.

DENISE MICHEL:

Oh, I think one thing, Alain, is whether this is a good time for you and Ram to have a reoccurring call, if this is a time slot we can hold and use

---

for calls in the future for this subgroup. Does it work for... It works for me. Does it work for both of you? Is it too early for Ram?

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Ram? So for me, it is 9:00 p.m., so I can do it. If during the week, if I don't have plenary, or if we have plenary 9:00 p.m. and then this 9:00 p.m., it may be difficult. But [inaudible].

DENISE MICHEL: I understand, yes. I feel the same way. I think Eric may be in transit today, but we'll also check with him about the time. Well, good, so that's great if it's good for Ram and you. Then if staff can hold this slot tentatively as this subgroup's slot, and we can confirm with Eric that it also works for him, and that'll be good. Yeah, I think Eric [will get] the idea.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Sure, we can do that.

DENISE MICHEL: Okay, thanks.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Okay, so I think Jennifer wants to say something?



---

JENNIFER BRYCE: Sorry, I was just saying that we can hold this slot for you right now, until you hear from Eric, and then you can decide how regularly you want to have the call. But we'll hold it so that when you choose to have it, it's there.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Okay. So before we close, Jennifer, you will send a... [inaudible] send a lot of this call, so I don't need to write any notes. I will expect the notes [inaudible] from the meetings.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Sure, sure. I'll send something tomorrow, yeah.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Okay. So, thanks, Denise. Thanks, Ram. Thanks, Karen, Jennifer, Steve, anyone on the call. So thank you.

DENISE MICHEL: And thank you, Alain, for organizing this. Very helpful. It feels good to get this underway.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: Bye-bye.

DENISE MICHEL: All right. Thanks, everyone.

JENNIFER BRYCE:                   Bye.

STEVE CONTE:                    Thanks, all. Bye-bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**