
GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hello, everybody.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hello, Glenn. Can you hear me okay now?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. When they dialed me, it was so much noise, so I had to hang that up and I called in myself. So I'm just wondering if we can check the sound quality again. How's that, everybody?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sounds okay from here.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Talk about to the wire. Okay, welcome, everybody. We'll start in about a minute or two. We'll just wait for other people to join. Welcome, everyone: Eve, Gordon, Leah, Matthew, Susannah, Wes, [Yubeslsky]. Thank you so much. Anyone on Adigo only? Can you please shout out?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm on Adigo only.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you, Evan, for letting me know. Evan, you'll have to just interrupt me, because I won't be able to see your hand waving, please.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

So if there's anything you want to contribute or question, please just interrupt.

I think we're going to have a small group today. It's tough to have a meeting in July or August, but we have pretty good attendance already.

So there's a couple of things we'll be sharing with you today, the midterm report. And again, if there's stuff that we didn't cover in the midterm report or in the annual report, let me know and we can work on that. So I see John is here, as well. Welcome, John. Judith, thank you.

Okay, so just give it a just a couple of seconds, and I'm just waiting for Alan, if he can join us, as well.

So as I was saying to Evan just a minute ago, if you're just on Adigo, you'll just have to interrupt because we won't be able to see your hand raising. So if there's an issue or a topic, please just interject.

So we've got a fairly busy schedule for today, so I would like to turn over to staff. If they can do the roll call and start the recording.

MARIO ALEMAN:

Thank you, Glenn. I'll be doing call management today. We're going to start doing the call management right now. And we just want to confirm if you would like to wait for two more minutes for Alan, or can we just move ahead?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

We're already at one past the hour. Alan tends to be on other calls, as well. So when he gets to it, he'll join us. Much of what Alan needs to talk

about is later in the schedule anyways. So if you would like to proceed, that'd be great.

MARIO ALEMAN:

Okay, that's great. Thank you very much and welcome, everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly teleconference call on Monday, the 10th of July in 2017, at 19:00 UTC. On the call, we have today on the English channel Glenn McKnight, Gordon Chillcott, John Laprise, Leah Symerkher, Susannah Gray, Matthew Rantanen, Judith Hellerstein, Yubelsky Montalvo, Wes Boudville, and. On the French channel we have no attendants. And we have apologies from Eduardo Diaz. On the staff we have Evin Erdoğdu and Mario Aleman doing the call management today. On interpreters, we have the French channel with Claire and Camila.

And I would like to please remind all the participants before speaking to please state your name and state it clearly. and also, not just for our transcription, but also for our interpreters. With this, I would like to turn it back to you, Glenn, and we can begin the call now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, everyone. Welcome in our summer session. This is great. We have about 50% of our attendance, which is really good for July. I think the last couple of years, because of holidays and whatnot, we ended up skipping the July call but this is great. Thank you so much for sparing the time today for this call.

Okay, so we are going to – there's just one item from a technical point of view, the item number 3.0, Silvia. I don't see Silvia on the list, and I

just want to ask Mario, do you have the action items to address this issue, item 3.0? I'm asking Mario this.

MARIO ALEMAN: Yes, let me just go over them. One second, Glenn. Do you want me also to present on the AC or just read it for you?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, no, you'll be going through the action items. So I just wanted to clarify that. I should have done that before the call. So just hold on that. I just want to welcome everyone to the call, and I want to turn to community announcements first of all, 2.0, and just open the floor to anyone who has community announcements to make.

Just welcome, Dustin, to the call, as well. In fact, I have, actually, Dustin and Judith on the call, and I would to ask them if they would like to talk about the IGF-USA, since it's a community event coming up. Will either of you like to chat about that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, I can talk about that. We have the IGF-USA coming on July 24th. We have amazing listing of panels. The complete schedule will be on the list, on the website, igf-usa.org. And there's also several of the ALS...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Judith, we lost you there. Okay, did we lose Judith? Mario?

MARIO ALEMAN: Hi, Glenn. Yes, I think actually we disconnected from her. We are basically requesting a dial-out to Judith right now. So if you would like to just wait for one more minute?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. In the meantime, I wonder if Dustin wants to jump in on that, because I know he's involved with the ISOC chapter in Washington.

Dustin, did you want to add anything to that?

DUSTIN PHILLIPS: Yeah, I broke up a little bit while she was talking, but I don't know if that was me or her. But, yeah, like she said, it's going to be held July 24th. And the schedule will be out shortly. The registration link will go out within the next few days. So keep an eye out for that. You can find everything on igf-usa.org. And anyone – oh.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I'm sorry, my [inaudible] –

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Just one second, Judith. Let Dustin finish his comment, and we'll be back to you. Go ahead, Dustin. Go ahead.

DUSTIN PHILLIPS: Yeah. The last thing I was going to say is that we still are looking for volunteers to help the day of or people to help promote it over social media, especially Twitter, by keeping an eye out on the IGF-USA Twitter

account and sharing anything that has to do with registration or promotion of the event. And if you are interested in doing that, you can just reach out directly to me at dustin@icannwiki.com.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you very much, Dustin. Back to you, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Hi. Sorry, I was – well, my phone died, and my Internet has been on and off. So I didn't know what you heard of my talk. But I was going to say, we have a whole list of very excellent panels. The information, as Dustin may have said, is going to be on the website, igf-usa.org. Some of the panels also co-organized by several of the ICANN ALSes and NARALO, such as the panel I'm doing on inclusive Internet access with the ISOC San Francisco Bay [channel]. So it's going to be a great group of sessions. And we will have captioning, as well as live stream.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, great. Thank you. If you guys can type into the chat box the tweet, the hashtag for the event and any information so that any of us can start tweeting it and sharing it with our social media accounts, that would be great.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, I can't because I am only on the phone.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. No, that's that not an issue. Dustin is doing it.

Okay. Anyone else have any community events that they would like to share? I have, later in the agenda, Susannah, Leah, and Joly talking about the ICANN read-outs a little bit later in the agenda. But if there's no one else, thank you, Dustin.

Okay, so I'm going to turn to Mario/Silvia to talk about the action items from the last couple of NARALO calls so we can put to bed some of these items. So, Mario, over to you.

MARIO ALEMAN:

Thank you, Glenn. I'm going to go over the action items from our last NARALO conference call. And the first one is, "Judith Hellerstein to send a request to Staff for a Doodle to set a date for the next NARALO ROP review call. Relevant documents to be posted in advance for review."

The second one is, "Eduardo requested volunteers to take over the NARALO monthly newsletter. Glenn McKnight volunteered to do a column for the newsletter. Follow up with membership to be involved."

Third one, "Glenn McKnight to send a reminder to all members to complete the ALS Expertise Survey." And, "Glenn McKnight to send a request for community feedback on the NARALO CROPP Plan fiscal year '18."

So turn it back over to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you. Just to – everybody has filled out, that I could reach. So we have almost complete ALS Expertise Survey. So that is – we have an excellent return on that. And in fact, I addressed that issue in the

midterm report. So I think most of those action items are put to bed. But please, if you have any writing skills – and thank you, Susannah, for doing that blog post on the GA – we need to escalate those first and to share them. And I'll ask Susannah to be talking about that during the body of this call, as well. Oh – for putting that link in.

Okay, I want to move on from the action items to the first item in ICANN meetings. At ICANN 60, I was approached by Garth Bruen. He's our current – one of our two ALAC people. He is not attending Abu Dhabi. And Judith and I discussed this. How do we fare, in terms of the process, of who should be – we should not just appoint someone automatically, but we asked out to the community.

So I believe, Judith, I think there's four people who have expressed interest, in terms of being the possible alternate for Garth coming up in the ICANN 61. This is the Abu Dhabi trip. So we have asked for, through a process, asking who they are, how are they committed to the process. And Alan also suggested an additional question on what working groups any of these people that have been active in.

Now, we haven't put a cutoff date yet, so I wanted to do a final call today. Anybody on this call that's still interested, please complete the form. I believe Matthew has completed it, and others have. Susannah has completed it. And, Judith, I can't remember the other two, but I think there's four people that have expressed interest. One of the things – yes, go ahead, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We should... On the form, maybe if we know a date that we're going to close it, we can then put a form date so the system will close it automatically for us and we won't have to keep track, if we have a date.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Now, I'll open it to the floor. Anybody have a suggestion on when we should close this call for a substitute? So just an open request as community. This was told to me and Judith, I guess, roughly two weeks ago that he is not attending. So four people have responded now. I don't want to keep this open forever. I think we should have closure on when we should close it.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, I have also a question.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So I think we also might want to think in this extra slot where some people maybe will have a slot already. And so – like I know Matthew has applied. He's applying for a coach for the indigenous, and he's also applying for a slot possibly in the Fellowship that we'll know. And so I think some kind of evaluation in [who] the applications, maybe we could add a [inaudible] just saying, "Have you applied for a Fellowship or other link on there?" so that the evaluators will have a complete idea on the people who have applied.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you, Judith. It's also been suggested that the closure should be after the Fellowship, as you pointed out, Matthew in particular. So can we suggest to leave this open for the next month, to our August date? I don't think that's going to impact constituency travel. Perhaps staff can jump in on this. Is this a factor that – I don't think constituency travel needs the decision before the next meeting, in August.

I don't see Heidi on the call or Silvia, so I think, Mario, you're stuck. So you need to get back to us. If constituency travel needs this decision within X number of days, then we'll need to expedite it. But until otherwise, Mario, do you have an opinion on this?

MARIO ALEMAN: Glenn, I will take this as an action item and I will follow up with them. And I'm sure, actually, we can just follow the discussion on e-mail. But it depends, actually, on the constituency, on travel constituency.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, okay. So, folks, they need a certain amount of lead time. But I think comfortably, right now, we'll make sure we have it all cut off by the next NARALO meeting in August. Or otherwise, if Mario gets back to us this week and it can't be – it has to be earlier, we'll let you guys all know.

So that's number 1. Number 2, we need some volunteers who would like – I know Joly has contacted me. He'd like to be an evaluator. Is there any – we need three evaluators from NARALO. Is there anyone

else? I don't mind stirring the process, but I don't want to be in the voting process. So, Joly, yes, thank you. I have you down. Anyone else want to be an evaluator in this process? We're trying to share the workload so that, as you can see with the action items, I take on more than I should. So I'm really trying to reach out, besides Judith and myself doing everything, that some of you folks take on some of this job.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: If anyone doesn't, I will. But like you said, we would like to see people.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you, Gordon. We've got Gordon. We have Joly. And I'll be happy to help arrange the calls and work with you guys. I've gone through this process, but I don't want to vote. So we need just one more person that will step up. And if not, I'll just have to volunteer. Yes, Eve, it's just – no, not to – yes, we just need one extra person. We need three people to evaluate these applications on who the right person is that we select for the application.

Okay, so I'm just waiting for one more name. Okay, if there's not another name coming up, I'm going to suggest Alfredo. I'll twist his arm. Oh, thank you, Eve. So I don't have to twist somebody's arm.

Okay, for the record, Mario, we have Eve as one of the volunteers, we have Joly, and we have Gordon. Okay. Excellent. All right. Okay, guys. Joly is typing. We're trying to get a substitute for Joly – sorry, for Garth. Not to substitute Garth. It's just the position. So I agree, they're big shoes to fill. Okay, thank you so much. I think we've put closure to that. Any other questions before we move on, on that?

Okay, Judith, it's up to you. I'm turning it over to you on the Global Indigenous Fellowship.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sure, great. So thanks to Loris and her team for creating this opportunity. So we've had a series of meetings over the last few months to try to make sure that this new application and new Fellowship runs smoothly and that we learn from our mistakes in the past.

Can people hear me? Because I hear squeaking on the line.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, you're fine.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, okay. All right, the line has a lot of squeaking, but anyway. Okay. So what we have found is that we worked with other groups. We're waiting – since this is a [local] program, we wanted to make sure that all the RALOs were engaged. And so we've asked for an evaluator from each of the RALOs. Some of them we haven't heard from. We heard this morning from LACRALO, who have appointed [inaudible]. I think Maureen might be the chosen person from APRALO. And so we're just waiting to hear from EURALO and AFRALO about their people. I've reminded them, and they will [inaudible].

MARIO ALEMAN: Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes?

MARIO ALEMAN: The line is very noisy, and we can't have the interpreters actually to follow you on the line. We're going to [inaudible] –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Let me try to put in headphones. Maybe that will help.

MARIO ALEMAN: Yes, okay, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Is the noise coming from her line, Mario?

MARIO ALEMAN: Hello, Glenn. As far as I know, yes, it might be a possibility that could be her line.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I put in the headphones. Do we still have the noise?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Keep talking.

MARIO ALEMAN: It sounds better right now.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay. So sorry about that. Internet and phone problem, but... So, yeah, what we've tried in the Global Indigenous Scholarship, to make a program that will follow the Fellowship and actually also learn from our mistakes. And we want to make sure that the appointed person is appointed the same time as Fellowship.

So we rushed through the process and we closed the process Friday. We got 23 applications. Unfortunately, more than half had to be disqualified because they did not follow instructions. But we got a good group of people, and we are assembling a global evaluation team, so one from each RALO. And we're still waiting to hear from AFRALO and EURALO, who their candidate is. And the team will be evaluating in the next two weeks and will decide what it is.

We're hoping the next process, also we have one coming up for Puerto Rico. And we're hoping to get also a lot of outreach and even some Canadians to apply, our first Canadians. But so far, it's a good process and we're excited. And there's a lot of great [response] about our program, so that's good. Thanks, Loris, for all your work. And I know Loris is on the evaluation team.

Also, the program, besides having two people, we are going to have one indigenous mentor. And Matthew may be that chosen person, but we'll see. Right now, we have not chosen one of those yet. But I think that's it, and hope that was clear. And let me know if there's any problem.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you so much. Let's open it to the floor. Anybody have any questions for Judith on the – this is the Global Indigenous Fellowship Program, rather than the one we did in the pilot program, which was just strictly North American. Any questions from anyone?

No? Okay, thank you so much, and we look forward to it. And as Judith was saying, unfortunately, people really didn't read the criteria. We had a significant number from Africa and Pakistan, and they didn't understand the goals of what we are trying to achieve. And I'd like to thank ICANN for this opportunity. It's not just the one event. It's two events. Right, Judith? It's the next two ICANN events, right?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, it's this meeting and the next meeting. And we are really trying to come close and work with Fellows. And the problems we had last time was that the Fellows were not ones – the ones we chose were not part of the whole Fellowship process. They were not getting all the Fellowship e-mails in the early days. And so a lot of the early bonding was lost. Also, they were not in the same hotel and they were not on the [board].

So many of that bonding experience was lost but will be done this time, because we have tied our process to the Fellowship process. So once the Fellowship announces in the beginning of August, we'll also announce ours. And then they will all be together. And we are going to have our own [paid] Fellowship mentor. So that should also be very helpful to our At-Large people, to the people who we choose so that they can learn more about At-Large, as opposed to in the Fellowship. When you're in the Fellowship, you're learning about each of the

different constituencies. We would look to have ours targeted to At-Large, and this is our opportunity [for] the other ones. The regular Fellowship is just every single constituency.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Right. Thank you so much. I've been typing in the chat box, just in addition to what was mentioned about Matthew. Many of you may have remembered meeting him either at the GA or the ATLAS II in London. But if you do a little bit of searching on Matthew – in fact, I'll ask Matthew to put any link to his LinkedIn or info – he's been very active in Indian country on broadband issues and the First Nations. So he's done remarkable stuff with Native media.

Thank you again. That was an excellent report. Let me just move on, in terms of the topics. Let me go back. I'm sorry. I jumped ahead on this. Okay. What we have is 5.0, the next one. And I don't see John on the call, unless he's called in. John was going to talk about the updates to the Rules of Procedures. If he's not on the call, maybe I'll ask Judith to do an update.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, I have to talk with John, because I don't really have an update right now. Let me buzz John – and I know he is away – and see if he can jump on the call.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. While that's happening, we did – if you recall, at the GA we did a draft version of the Rules of Procedures. The key aspect is to fix areas

where we didn't have some consistency. I think we had some sloppiness in the decertification process and the warning process. I think a lot of the language is tightened up. We didn't want to make this document similar to some of the other RALOs, which is the definitive document. We wanted something clear, concise, and not really that different than the original, but just cleaning up some areas that didn't leave clarity. So I think the document is coming along very nicely. And if there's any other feedback, please get it to us. We have a working committee. And I was hoping today we can formally present it, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen today. Not a crisis. We also have to update our MOU, which has issues to.

But I think I'm going to table this as an action item, Mario, that we have a formal vote and presentation. We'll take a big part of the meeting next week to really make sure everybody knows what the changes of the rules are. And you will have the most up to date version in advance. So I don't think he's coming on. I know Judith is trying. But let me just one second.

Judith, are you there?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, I'm there. John is typing. My Internet is up at this moment, and John is typing on Skype. So I will see what he says and get back to you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, so I'm just going to carry on with the agenda.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: He says he's in London. He can't come on.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So we're going to table it. Judith, while you're on the other line, we're going to table this to August. We tried to get this done by June. But as everything, the best intentions. It's better to have transparency with the community on any changes.

So I'm going to move on to table 5.0. It looks like another 5.0. What I've done is I've taken all the presentations that were presented by the various different committees – Consumer Trust, various different committees – and I created some e-books. So in the chat box, you'll see I've added the – and Mario, as well. This is a bookcase. So you can read this offline, download them, and you can read them from your e-readers. These are the presentations that were done. And they will be also included in newsletters, moving forward. I have converted most of the presentations from the capacity building and the on-boarding presentations, as well. I believe there is over 100 e-books created in the past year. Maureen and I have worked on that. So enjoy it, for what it's worth. There's some really interesting presentations.

I also did some interviews with David Olive and Mary Wong on the Empowered Community and the changes there. I also did an update with Leon on the CCWG. And I had a couple of other interviews, as well. But all the video interviews are uploaded, as well as the pictures from the Joburg event.

I'm going to turn to 5.1 and going to ask Susanna and Joly, whoever wants to go first and talk about their read-outs now. Just a bit of a

background. ICANN has dropped their hubs. And I know Murray is on the line, and he's done hubs in the past. But they've dropped the hubs idea, and I'm not really sure why they did that, Murray. But they did fund the hubs, the remote hubs, and I thought they were a great idea. But now this is the new concept they've come up with. So I'm going to turn to Susannah to start, if you don't mind, Joly, and Susannah can talk about her event and when it's going to happen.

Go ahead, Susannah.

SUSANNAH GRAY:

Hi, everyone. Yes, so we're doing a ICANN 59 read-out. And it's going to be a webinar, and you're all invited to attend. I'll put the link to the event right in the chat in the second. So it's happening on the 18th of July at 12:00 PDT. And we'll be having Chris Mondini and Joe Catapano, from ICANN, giving an overview of some of the recent policy discussions that occurred at ICANN 59. So we're basically inviting anybody that wants to attend, because it's a webinar. So it'll be [inaudible] Glenn. I see you're putting it in the chat here. We're using [this] platform. I'll have the link in a second. But, yeah, so if you can just distribute to your organizations and to your network and just let everybody know it's happening. And I think this is the first one that ICANN has done, so it's a bit of a test. And we're just seeing how popular it is and how it works.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Susannah. Joly, before I ask you question, it's going to be applicable with you. Why did ICANN move in this direction, in terms of read-outs, and what's the expected result of it, working backwards?

SUSANNAH GRAY: Are you asking me or did you say Joly?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, to both of you.

SUSANNAH GRAY: Oh, okay. I think for ICANN, it's to basically just get more engagement in the community, trying to reach... You know, people can't always travel to the ICANN meetings. So they're just trying to give people an overview of what happened.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible] and engagement.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I believe they spent a lot of money on remote hubs, and the hubs did not have the amount of people needed to sustain that amount of

engage – to sustain that money. So they're trying a different way to increase engagement. So remote participation is one thing. For the hubs, they put significant sums into each hub. And there wasn't... They were hoping to get probably like 50 to 100 people at each hub, and that did not materialize. And so that's why they decided to cancel the hubs.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Judith, could you be a little bit more specific about that? Because ICANN spends an awful lot of money at the meetings that it has around the world. It attracts a couple thousand people, and it spends between either six-figure, seven-figure sum on holding these meetings. Based on the cost per attendee of an ICANN event, how much more poor is the cost per attendee at the hubs? I mean, if they haven't crunched these numbers, then they're just blowing smoke.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Evan, they may be blowing smoke, but when we asked the Technology Taskforce about this, we were told that they had lower engagement, that they hoped that they would have at least 100 people, or 50 to 100, and they didn't. They also –

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Who [said] those numbers? Who [said] those numbers?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I don't remember.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Also, the thing is that those hubs required also a lot of technical staff to monitor them. And during the meetings, they often don't have that extra staff around, because there's so many other issues of problems going on in the meetings itself and that staff are running around, as the experience this time, when we lost our Adobe Connect ability in our room. And so the staff were running, doing those type of things [also]. And I think it just became low on their totem pole, and they didn't get the responses they were looking for. And that was probably combined with those two items [and] why they dropped it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I can understand their reasons. I'm not quite sure why we accepted that. If this is an issue that's important enough to us, this can be done in the form of an ALAC statement to staff and Board, saying that the closure of this is unacceptable. I mean, is it acceptable and we're just going to take it and lie down, or are we going to actually respond to that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. You know, Evan is making a very good point here, so I want to open it up. And I know Murray has run a hub before, and so has Joly. So let's open it to them. And, Joly and Murray, you guys have experience

running these hubs. Do you want to add your opinion? And Evan has actually invited us to do an intervention on this and, as an action item, get back asking ICANN for justification for this action. It sounds like they consulted us, right? They just unilaterally did it. So I want to – okay, Murray, please go ahead.

Murray, speak up, please. We cannot hear you. Maybe it's me. Does anyone hear Murray?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, Murray.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: [inaudible]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead, Murray. I heard you for a second. Okay, Joly, can you speak on this issue?

JOLY MACFIE: I think about [inaudible] the theory is that rather than bringing people from ICANN remotely, what they're doing is bringing ICANN to the people. So you have to go to where people are, rather than getting people to get up somehow and assemble. What I've noticed generally with this kind of stuff is the larger the pool, the smaller the [form] kind

of thing. So you go to some small island, like Barbados, and they have a big [room] for people sitting there as a hub. But you come to somewhere large, like New York or San Francisco or somewhere, and you actually don't manage to pull very many people into this thing.

Certainly when we did our hub, it's been in the nature of half a dozen people. Not that there's not been a valuable experience. In fact, it pulled people in that we wouldn't have otherwise met and formed relationships. But speaking as a participant, I find it easier to participate individually at home than it is to be sitting in a hub with a bunch of people, where there's two levels of intermediation between me and whatever's going on. So that's what I'd say about that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you, Joly. Evan, I'm giving the last word to you. What would you like to [inaudible]?

JOLY MACFIE:

Also to say is I'll take Evan's point to say there essentially should have been some kind of choice. Probably there should have been some kind of choice. I also take Judith's point, which is they've got enough problems logistically running the meeting without having this on, without a great deal of return. Even it might cost them a lot of money to bring people to wherever it is, it's actually less work for them to deal with people once they're there.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Well, we need to make an action on this, guys. I want to turn back to Evan for a final word. Evan, are you satisfied with Judith and Joly's comments, or do you want us to do something?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks, Glenn. It's not for me to be satisfied. I mean, it's a consensus of this group whether or not ICANN's rationale is satisfactory. The idea of the hubs was a very, very good one, but it takes a little time to mature. ICANN has been doing its meetings for many, many years. And the point of going to where people are is extremely well taken. Where are the people? Are the people in London and New York and Toronto and San Juan? Or are they in Abu Dhabi.

And so at a community level, I think it's a very big mistake to get rid of them. I'm very concerned about the level of transparency, or lack thereof, that was used to come to the decision to can it. It's getting a little tiring of having a lot of decisions be made that affect us without consulting us. And I'll leave it to the rest of the group whether or not any response is warranted. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Folks, I'm going to put closure to this. This is an excellent discussion. Thank you so much, Evan, for bringing it up. I think we need an action item. We just need to articulate the question, and I think they deserve an adequate answer. So [let's listen] that they just went ahead and did this without consultation. It takes a while for these things to actually work. And return on investment shouldn't be the only thing they should look at.

So can we please, Mario, let's just articulate this. And, Evan, if you don't mind just helping Mario also craft the wording. You're an expert at that. That'd be great.

Okay, folks. Thank you. I'm just going to move along quickly. The outreach and engagement, we've had some feedback on the Outreach Strategic Plan. Thank you very much. We are in a very good position, because none of the CROPP trips are right away. I know some of the RALOs have been asking for funding for trips that are in three or four weeks, which is insane. So please review the Strategic Plan for CROPP, the CROPP Strategic Plan. It's already been sent to Chris Mondini. He likes it. It's good. But we still have latitude, in terms of some of the locations and some of the trips.

One of the big things in the Strategic Plan for CROPP is this ongoing relationship with ARIN. If we end up getting solid support from ARIN through their fellowship program, perhaps we can just yank those requests. So please look at them again. Anything is open, in terms of – but we definitely need to look at areas that are organizations that we should be approaching and geographical locations that are underrepresented. Okay?

So thank you, Joly, for typing in. And I do apologize for ignoring you in that conversation. So Joly's read-out is on July 20th, at 6:00 PM. I cannot make that, by the way. I'm involved in the event. But thank you again for filling us in on that.

Okay, so, folks, go back. I'm going to ask Mario, could you please post the link to the most up to date CROPP Strategic Plan?

Judith, were you going to say something?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I was just going to say that I have Internet right now, but there was a question on the chat that asked about ARIN support. And the question is, ARIN has increased its fellowship. If our people are able to apply and get these ARIN fellowships through the fellowship process, and then we can use the CROPP funding for something else. The story was we haven't been able all the time to get fellows in there. But, Eve, that is an excellent question, and I think it deserves to be talked about, maybe if not this one, in the other ones.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Judith. I think, because we worked extremely hard over the number of years, people like Garth and Evan and other people, Judith, myself, we really interceded into the Fellowship program, saying it's not inclusive. North America is victimized on the whole process. And the first person who got the Fellowship was a chap in NCUC. Our community didn't get one.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, Glenn. Glenn, we were talking about the ARIN fellowship.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, sorry. Yeah, I go on a tangent, and I apologize. But if I can just finish my comment, I just want to make sure that folks here realize that you can apply for the ICANN Fellowship as well. It's open to you, as well.

And by the way, April Tinhorn, who was an indigenous Fellow, also was a coach this time in Joburg. So we are getting recognized. So, Judith, do you know when the next cutoff date for the ICANN Fellowship will be?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It hasn't been announced yet. The Puerto Rico one will be announced, my guess, it will be announced probably in September or something, September/October. And then they'll let everyone know. Right now, they're going to notify the Fellows for Abu Dhabi on August 4th.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, excellent. Excellent. Okay, thank you on that. And let me move on to an item that Heidi is now responsible for with Silvia. It used to go to Chris Mondini. It's 6.2, the local discretionary funds. We fought for this, that each of the RALOs should have some discretionary funds. And it's not a lot of money, but it's at least some money. And I know Susannah is actually working – Susannah, do you want to share your experience with Heidi on what you've learned so far on the process?

SUSANNAH GRAY: I didn't get any response to my request, so I don't have anything to share.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, because some things they'll fund, some things they won't. I know, Joly, you applied last year, and I know Tom did. And it's sort of a [loosey-goosey] –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Susannah, what were you asking for?

SUSANNAH GRAY: I was asking for travel costs to attend the ARIN meeting.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, travel costs are not usually funded.

SUSANNAH GRAY: I know, but then somebody said that was a different fund that could be used for that. So I was –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No. No.

SUSANNAH GRAY: But they said that to me, so why would they say that if it didn't exist?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I don't know, but travel funding is not something that is done. This form is basically for services, equipment, lunches, something else. Not for travel.

SUSANNAH GRAY: Yeah, I know that, but then they told me to apply for some other kind of funds, and nobody could tell me what those other funds were or who to get them from.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I don't know any other kind of funds.

SUSANNAH GRAY: Yeah, so this is a different thing. Yeah, I know that I can't get travel costs through this discretionary funding. But I'm still waiting for a response, so I can't give you an update [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, let me interject. I think what Joly just cited, he was asking for certain moneys and he ended up getting GSE, [the] Chris Mondini, to pay. So I think there's many pockets of money, and we're not privy to all of it. So you know what? Susannah and everyone here, if there's an event that you're doing, whether it's lunches or travel or whatever, I don't care what it is, just for the record make sure we know, but put it in. Because I think this is a "use it or lose it" situation. So we –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. So one thing – I'm sorry, I can't put my hand up, because I'm on the phone.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead. I don't mind. Actually, [inaudible] but go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

So I think what Susannah is talking about is that other RALOs have been able to get their GSEs to fund travel for them, EURALO especially and APRALO. But Chris Mondini seems not to want to be doing this with his funds. And so we had gotten this funding stream, where the form is up on the web, as a way of increasing transparency and documenting things that actually could get funded. And so we don't have to be at the merit of someone saying, "Oh, maybe. We'll see. Let's see," or, "Only special people can get this." If we have a documented process for things that are on this form, then we can actually get that and we can actually check back and track it and see where things are. And I think that is what we were arguing for. We still can't get into these [fluff] funds other groups have, but that's nothing for [the succession].

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, thank you, Judith. Yeah, there seems to be a bit of inconsistency with some of the rules that exist. Like you have a [LAC] strategy, which is an excellent integrated strategy. There's stuff, entrepreneurship centers. There's separate training. So there doesn't seem to be an even hand, in terms of distribution of funds or support. So I don't know. I just think, Susannah and everyone else, we just need to keep putting the heat on this. And we definitely don't want to lose these funds, regardless. And if we're talking minor costs here, I think your train fair or something, or bus fare, from San Francisco to San Jose is probably minor, minor costs. It's not a big cost.

Susannah, any idea how much money you were looking for?

SUSANNAH GRAY: No. I mean, I just wanted train fare or parking costs for the board so that everybody could attend the ARIN meeting, since it's so close.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, it's probably a couple of hundred dollars [inaudible].

SUSANNAH GRAY: Like \$150. Yeah, so, no more than 200 at the most, yeah.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Well, let's hold – I know they're on holidays all last week. And let's just keep their feet to the fire on this one.

Okay, folks, if you have an event coming up, I know that Monique had an event in Montreal. She did talk to them about that. I know that, unfortunately, none of the other members of the School of Internet Governance are on this call: Javier, Eduardo, Alfredo, or Pablo. But that is moving on quite well with support from ICANN. But we are looking at major sponsorship from a lot of people. I don't think they'll be tapping into this one, but they'll also be working very closely with the NextGen to get a number of the NextGen people involved. Again, this is not use of those funds. But let's keep on this. I hate to see us lose this, since we fought so hard to get these funds.

Okay, so action item, back to Mario. Just a status report on – because Heidi and Silvia were not on the call, status report on the submissions. And I believe she deserves to get back to Susannah in particular.

Anyone else have a question on this before we move on? Okay. Can you – moving to 6.4 very quickly, the NARALO midterm report. What I tried to do is it tried to do a midterm report and an annual report. So I'll send this out. It talks about what we've accomplished in the past year, the activities, the in-reach, our strategic plan. Our strategic plan is not complete yet. Alfredo is working on it. You'll see it in this document. This document will swallow up another hour. I'll send this all to you.

Most important is the GA action items and the policy issues. We need to follow up on our activities of what we did at our GA, and how do we follow up from there. So I'll send this PPT to everybody to get your feedback so I can update this document. The idea of this midterm and annual report is to disclose to you what has been happening through the past year. And if there's something we haven't accomplished or we've neglected, the idea is to ask you for your direction.

Okay. Moving along on this is Eduardo. Unfortunately, Eduardo is not on the call. And all I can say is paraphrase for Eduardo. Mario, maybe you can add, as well, or anyone else. But I believe they were sequestered interviewing people for the Board. And I just want to point out to you, I think Louis was on the NomCom before, and I'm not sure if anyone else has been on NomCom. But I've been on NomCom and Louis, and what they did is a review of the NomCom. So there was a separate, independent body that was asking for feedback to improve the ICANN NomCom. That was one of the big things that happened, which I was interviewed by the hired guns for the NomCom. But I don't see a report from Eduardo to share with you today.

Okay. Moving on, the GA action items. Silvia is supposed to be discussing this today, 8.0, but I do not see Silvia on the call. Judith, did you want to talk about the action items at all?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

No, I don't, because Silvia is really the person who's doing it. But we did – some of the action items were that we put together a list of hot topics on policy issues. And we are going to be working on those. And we also wanted to distribute – there was an [actual] list of active working groups and taskforces, both within At-Large and ICANN. And if staff can distribute that, that will be great, because I know a lot of people were asking for that at the ICANN meeting. And I mentioned to Heidi, "Where is this list?" She said, "Oh, we have it." But I think one needs to be distributed to others.

And I think some of the other ideas that we discussed also need to be worked on. So that's sort of what we are looking at. And if there's Any Other Business, I would like to talk about captioning.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, just one sec. Thank you. Just one final comment on the action items, if I may. Yeah, I put on policy, policy, policy. This is something that, when we went back to staff, "Tell us what policy comments our community has done," and they had no tracking. We submitted to finance this year a mechanism to – and staff has been given funds, and they are actually working on a process of monitoring and tracking the policy comments. And the goal, leading forward – and that's one of the action items – is to get more people involved with writing policy, policy

comments. So we hope to escalate that, in terms of looking at our policy comments, moving forward.

So, Judith – and I have Susannah now. Judith, is on the same topic or another topic?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. So on the policy thing, we are actually working on this on the Technology Taskforce. So if you're interested in also helping give feedback to ICANN staff on what we're looking for in the policy area and on tracking, please come join our monthly calls. We'll be discussing this. So just a little plug.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Yes, and Laura Bengford is the person responsible, and she's looking for community feedback. And Christopher Gift is following up with Laura too. Sorry, when is the next Technical Taskforce call, Judith? While she's looking that up –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Technology Taskforce call is going to be – or Mario would know. We haven't really decided one. We may have one in August, but we haven't looked at it. We are working on two side projects. Dustin is heading up a team that is looking to revise the wiki, and then we also have another team working on conferencing solutions. So we are working on some of these side projects right now.

-
- GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Susannah, and then we'll go right back to you. I don't see Alan Greenberg on the call, so the last item is tabled because we don't have Alan on the call. But Susannah, then back to you, Judith.
- SUSANNAH GRAY: Just going back to the NomCom, I had a question. Do we know when the RALO – what do you call it – the people that we elected will be accepted by the Board or whoever does the accepting of the NomCom representatives?
- GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, actually, I tried to contact Alan on that, because I wanted to know what ALAC decided. As you know, we had an election, and the NomCom position, we voted in favor of Leah. But the process, it's both names get tabled to the ALAC, and the ALAC makes the decision. So I haven't seen any formal response on that. Judith, have you seen anything at all?
- JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, but I think the problem of this is unlike us, unlike NARALO, when we had an election, APRALO decided they didn't want to have an election. And so they sent four candidates to ALAC. ALAC has no process whatsoever of judging candidates, so they are now having to set up a process. And of course, they had no time because of the ICANN meetings and [inaudible] ITEMS review. It seems this keeps getting pushed off onto the back burner, and who knows when it will go to the front burner.
-

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Okay. Is that okay, Susannah? I don't see a response.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I've got one small thing to add from my time on the ALAC, Susannah. And that is in the case of what's happened with NARALO, in the case of any RALO that actually has an election, that even though multiple candidates may be submitted, there has to be really pressing reason for the ALAC to go against the choice of the RALO. I think that's only happened once. I believe it was in the case of LACRALO. It just isn't very common and has to have very, very extraordinary circumstances for ALAC to go against the indications of an election within the RALO.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you, Alan – sorry, Evan. I apologize. Okay. The last item on the agenda – and you have a couple of minutes, Judith. It's over to you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So I just wanted to give a little update that on the captioning program. So we finished our pilot. We finished out a new pilot. We finished the two pilots. They were extremely successful. We piloted also [inaudible] outside At-Large to Work Stream 2 Diversity because they work on accessibility issues. It was extremely successful there. They decided on their own that they liked it so much and the MSSI managed to get their own budget and will be doing captioning themselves on their own.

[inaudible] for us, there was also Language Services, who were [deciding], "Oh, I guess captioning is really doing well. Let's look out and try and do an RSP." And no one bothered to discuss it with the ICANN

chosen person, Rob Hoggarth, who was leading that. So we found all this out at our meeting. And then ICANN is now in the process of getting their internal strategy in order and talking internally about what to do and how it's going to work. And so once they figure that out, well, then we start up with meetings for people who want to figure out what's going to be our plan for captioning.

So we have a [series] of captionings available. I think it's maybe 10 or 12 is going to happen for the next month coming up. And they will be also in different languages. But there's also a hope that it would be expanded a lot more once Language Services gets satisfied and gets interested in this and finishes their RSP and chooses other vendors. Then maybe we may have it for most meetings, would be great. So that's the good and bad update.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. Well, you should be very proud of yourself and doing a great job in championing this issue. I think it's made a huge difference. I know I worked with you on the survey, and I've always found that the captioning was a huge asset to anyone. And it doesn't have to be English as their own language or a disabled individual. It's great to be able to read it. And it's been a great addition, so super.

Actually, just on captioning, I was watching a WordPress event last week, and it was in French and English. And it was so well done. So we – in contrast to [N10], which was like a postage stamp. So I think we're there, but we still can go a little bit further.

Okay, folks. Thank you so much. I cannot believe the attendance today, and I really appreciate. I'm sorry that we had to rush through so many things. There's a bunch of action items. Mario, please e-mail me them and I can modify them and try to make sure they're accurate. And we have the rest of the day to enjoy the sunshine, I guess, or rain, whatever is happening in your neck of the woods.

So, again, thank you all for coming in. We just have one other purpose call that we'll be arranging when the staff gets fully in operation this week. And it's on the ITEMS review. So that is a request by staff. They will be sending out a Doodle [perhaps] or sometime this week.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: There is also another request for the ALS criteria. As one of our special requests, At-Large had submitted a request to have two additional spots, travel spots, for the upcoming ICANN meetings. So it's ICANN 60 and above. We have to set criteria, and Alan asked for one person from each RALO to be on this committee. And he prefers either the incoming our outgoing Chair, but he's also open to others. And so [there's a lot] of work in the next few weeks. So if you're interested in this, please let us know.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Judith. Yeah, I'm sorry that wasn't more clear earlier in the schedule. Perhaps we should have highlighted that. But, Judith, let's send that into the discussion thread on Skype, as well as our discussion thread, so making sure people know it.

Again, thank you, everybody, for joining us. We'll chat to you on the next call. Thanks again. Bye-bye.

MARIO ALEMAN:

Thank you, Glenn. Bye, everyone. Thank you for attending the meeting. This call has been adjourned. Please disconnect all of the remaining lines. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]