
EVIN ERDOĞDU:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone, and welcome to the APRALO monthly teleconference on Thursday, 15 June 2017, from 06:00-07:00 UTC.

Today on the call with us, we have Satish Babu, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Holly Raiche, Prateek, Shreedeeep Rayamajhi, Lianna Galstyan, Kaili Kan, Pavan Budhrani, Waleed Khaliqi, Tomohiro Fujisaki, Ali Almeshal, Yasuichi Kitamura, Siranush Vardanyan, Hong Xue, Nadira Alaraj, Mohammad Abdul Awal, and Eranga. We have noted apologies from Maureen Hilyard, Kelvin Wong, and Fouad Bajwa.

From staff, we have with us Silvia Vivanco and myself, Evin Erdoğan. I will also be doing call management today. Our Chinese interpreters are Jessie, Sandy, and Cao.

With that, I'd like to remind everyone to please state your name for the record and also for the interpreters. With that, I'll turn it over to you, Satish. Please begin.

SATISH BABU:

Thank you, Evin. First of all, welcome to everybody. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the June monthly call of APRALO. As you're aware, June is the month that we have the ICANN 59 meeting in Johannesburg, so [inaudible]. We also have some important things to discuss in today's meeting, so we will get into the agenda straightaway.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Agenda Item 2, Membership Matters, there's a minor typo in the agenda timing. It is a total of five minutes divided among me and Evin. Regarding membership, I'd like to update the community that we have started looking at the membership pipeline. We are monitoring it, and the pipeline has a number of applicants who have applied for joining us. Pavan is managing the process from our side. Pavan is the Secretariat of APRALO. We are, of course, admitting member organizations and unaffiliated individual members also.

Evin will now give us an update of the new members as well as the current membership pipeline. Over to you, Evin.

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Sure. Thank you, Satish. I'll be brief. A new member since last monthly teleconference is the Internet Development Initiative (IDI) based in Georgia.

A new individual member is Donggi Lee from South Korea.

We currently are waiting for feedback on an application from the Armenian Internet Traffic Exchange Foundation (ARMIX). We sent for regional advice several weeks ago and a reminder was sent. So I kindly request that regional feedback be requested for that applicant. I can send an e-mail reminder today if that's helpful.

We are now currently voting on an APRALO applicant Cyber Café Association (CCAOI) based in India. The vote will close on Monday.

Monday we also have an APRALO orientation call, so the community is welcome to learn more about APRALO and meet each other.

We also have another applicant, [inaudible] Software, and staff is currently completing due diligence for that applicant.

That's all from me for now. Thanks.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Evin, for the update. We'll now move to Agenda Item 3, which is an update from Holly on the At-Large Review which is now in the final stage. Holly, over to you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you. I wouldn't say it's the final stage; it's a new stage. Where we're up to now is ICANN's review is complete, and the next steps will be for the presentation to the Board. That report which is complete together with [inaudible] a summary of the public comments that were made for that report.

That will be prepared by ICANN staff, and that's to be accompanied by something that we as ALAC must develop. It's called a feasibility and assessment implementation plan. We will be talking about that in Johannesburg – what it contains, the tasks we have to do – so that in Johannesburg we will have a timeline for who is doing what so that we will be able to fill that out.

Now in terms of what has to be included in that, against each of the ITEMS recommendations, there has to be either we agree, we partially agree, why we only partially agree or don't agree. And for partial agreement or no agreement, we have to provide the rationale and in

both those cases how we would address the issue that was identified differently to how ITEMS would have addressed that issue.

For our implementation steps, we then have to develop a prioritization, dependencies, and what resources are needed.

All of those tasks will be discussed and prioritized in Johannesburg, and then what we're aiming for is to have the feasibility and assessment and implementation plan ready to go by mid-September so that we will be presenting at the October Board together with the ITEMS report and the comments summary.

A wiki has been set up by Ariel for people to make comments. If you think, Satish, I'd be happy to circulate that link again. We welcome any and all comments, and we will be looking at those and how they will contribute to the feasibility and assessment and implementation plan that we have to develop.

So that's where we're up to. Any questions?

SATISH BABU:

Thank you, Holly. Are there any questions? As you said, the At-Large Review is on to a new phase, and there's still a lot more work to be done by this community. Are there any questions?

HOLLY RAICHE:

Satish, just to note, what Silvia has done is put a link into the chat. It's the link to the pages that Ariel has set up for the feasibility, assessment, and implementation plan. Again, all comments are welcome. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Holly. Please take a look at the link that Silvia has [inaudible] on the chat. Questions can be directed to Holly, and the link will give you details.

We will now move on to the regular ALAC Policy Update. Maureen is traveling today. She is attending [a very important] meeting. So we have Holly and Kaili and, of course, Cheryl will chip in if required. So it's over to Agenda Item 4, the Policy Update. Over to you, Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you. I guess we'll just go off of the agenda, where we're up to the Statements that have been approved, one of the major ones was Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice Review. That was in four parts. It was a very big report, and Maureen very nicely pulled together four different contributions. So that has been passed.

New Subsequent Procedures, another big one. Subsequent Procedures refers to the New gTLD Program. It's sort of a stock-take of what issues have been raised and where we're going from there. We have looked at and passed the statement on accountability and the .NET registry statement is in the process of being drafted.

We are now voting on the Draft Framework of Interpretation for Human Rights. That was drafted by Bastiaan, and it makes very good reading. The next one, Revised ICANN Procedure for Handling WHOIS Conflicts, I'm not sure who is doing that. If I were doing that – I sat for a very long time on that group, and I would say pass it. Finally, Cheryl, do you know

about the ccNSO PDP Retirement and Review Mechanism? I haven't seen that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Holly, I [inaudible] in any particular detail other than that it's a piece of product out of a work party mechanism which is required. Before you can do a PDP, you need an issues report and so this is an early days aspect.

The importance of it, however, I can speak to. That is, as you all know, sometimes countries and the names of countries change. Therefore, the two-character assignments that they use [in the] ccTLDs of the [inaudible] coding needs updating from time to time, and this is a mechanism which allows for that. It's going to be closing 10 July.

I believe Maureen is looking at it to see whether or not any comment needs to be made, but I would be very surprised especially as an issues report if we're going to be making any sort of comment unless somebody is particularly motivated to raise points where they feel there's some sort of requirement for the legacy of where some ccTLDs have been used as important [endings] for alternatives to gTLDs. But, again, the pressure on that is [now] different [with] the New gTLD Program In this more advanced stage. That's it.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you. Okay, in terms of public comment requests, I'm not sure who is doing the Release of Country and Territory Names. Traditionally,

we have had occasionally things to say. I'm not sure that we're going to have any things to say about these.

Implementation on – gosh, these are so familiar, these issues – IGO and INGO....

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Holly, the ones you have now under Section 4 are all ones that the ALAC has decided not to submit statements.

HOLLY RAICHE: Ah, right.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It would be rather extraordinary if APRALO wished to.

HOLLY RAICHE: I don't think they do. I'm looking at them and I'm thinking, "Oh, my goodness. I don't think we want to comment anyway." So, listen, that's it. That's it. I think that right now the only one that's being drafted – and I looked. There have been so many WHOIS reports that, in fact, I can't imagine that the ICANN Procedure for Handling WHOIS Conflicts is going to be contentious at all. It's just going to be a repeat of what we've said many times before. So I don't see anything contentious here. Satish?

SATISH BABU: Right. Kaili, are you online? Do you have anything to add?

KAILI KAN: Hello. Yes, I am online. About [inaudible], I just want to say a few words. That is, many of us have reviewed the draft final report. The comment period has been closed already, and the team reviewed all the comments that were provided. We had quite a few meetings since then. At the beginning of our meeting ICANN 59 at Johannesburg, we will have [one day] in advance of the whole conference to finalize the report. Also, we will meet with all the SOs and ACs, including ALAC and At-Large. So further [inaudible] how the comments were accommodated within the final report. What I want to say is that all our comments have been carefully [completed] and included into the final report as much as possible. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Kaili. Are there any questions or comments directed to Holly, Cheryl, or Kaili? Seeing no hands, let's move on to the next Agenda Item, which is number 5. This is a formal announcement of the results of our Leadership Selection Process. It's over to Silvia for the announcement.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, everyone. Thank you very much, Satish. All the RALOs completed the election cycle for 2017, [with the regional] elections and ALAC [procedures] in late May. As a result, the members of APRALO elected by acclamation [were] for the ALAC positions Maureen Hilyard of the Cook Islands Internet Action [Group]. for the Vice-Chair position, Lianna Galstyan of ISOC Armenia. Congratulations to both of them on their

positions. We are very happy and looking forward to continuing working with them.

APRALO also forwarded the four nominations received for the NomCom position from APRALO for [the action] by the ALAC. The nominees are Nadira Al-Araj, Rao Naveed Bin Rais, Fouad Bajwa, and Bikram Shrestha. ALAC will consider these names and will recommend one person.

APRALO leadership team will be deciding on the [study] from the APRALO Secretariat position in due time.

That's the update and, again, congratulations to the two persons elected by acclamation. Thank you very much, and over to you, Satish.

SATISH BABU:

Thank you, Silvia, for the announcement. It's my pleasure and privilege to welcome both Maureen and Lianna to the APRALO leadership position. Of course, Maureen is not here today because of travel to a very important meeting. Lianna is here with us, and we will be hearing from her later on [inaudible]. But, Lianna, would you like to spend 30 seconds telling us about your expectations from this role?

LIANNA GALSTYAN:

Yes. Hello, everyone. I would like to say one more time thank you to our community for the trust and confidence for me and Maureen. Of course, Maureen has a very long and [deep period] [inaudible] APRALO at ICANN and I'm a new [inaudible]. I hope we'll have a good cooperation with the RALO community, and my expectation is – well, my hope is – to have [active] members and engagement of all ALSes and

our diverse region needs to be well represented to ICANN. I will do my best to [inaudible]. Thank you very much.

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Lianna. Once again, welcome. With that, we move on to Agenda Item 6, which is a report from Ali on our Mentoring Program which is drawing to its conclusion shortly. Ali will be speaking to us on this. Over to you, Ali.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thank you very much, Satish. Do you hear me?

EVIN ERDOGDU: Yes.

SATISH BABU: Yes.

ALI ALMESHAL: Okay, great. Thanks, [inaudible]. We are almost there approaching the end of the first pilot Mentorship Program, which really was an exciting program for all of us, to the mentees and mentors. It was a good experience that we all went through.

I would like to give just brief statistics or just info about the program which has taken almost one year since we started it officially last year in Helsinki meeting. The date we had announced the opening of the

program, we got 13 applications or 13 candidates who applied for that. Moving forward, 11 of them confirmed to continue on the program, so we lost 2 of them that did not continue the program with us.

Those 11 that have confirmed until the last [minute] of today, they came from 9 countries across our APRALO region, which is a good diversity of that. For those 11 confirmed mentees, 6 mentors were dedicated to them. On top of that, we have our super mentor who led the whole program and led mentees and mentors and guided them to the success of this.

Those mentees come from different specialization and industries. That was one of the objectives, and we were so lucky to get those people who applied for that to have them coming from different industry, academia, civil, and technical, and some other parts of that.

What we have done as an APRALO leadership and the mentors, we have conducted different surveys with the mentees. A number of group calls have been done and other individual call between the mentors and the mentees, calls or follow up by e-mails or exchange or different ways of communication.

Based on that, we had the result of these communications and the mentorship that has been done, we have a good number of these mentees who have [get] enrolled a number of mailing lists and they are active into that, which we are very much happy to see them now active in different mailing lists and participating in those.

Also, and finally onto that, we have got people nominating themselves on the leadership team, which we have just announced a minute ago.

We have Lianna now as a Vice-Chair and we are looking for the final result of the NomCom. I'm very much happy to see three names from the mentees who have put their names there, which is a great achievement to us. Any of those who will get this position if ALAC or NomCom did not decide to give something else, then this is a great achievement by itself.

At this stage, I would like to thank all the mentees and mentors for their dedication and their real interest to serve the community within the APRALO and be part of active leadership teams. And not to forget that all of this has been led by our super mentor Cheryl Langdon-Orr. Before I close and say you have concluded this mentorship, Cheryl has something to add and I think she needs to have one more small task to the mentees before we say it is closed. Cheryl, may I hand this to you please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Ali. It might be a small task in terms of the time I trust it will take, but it is a vital task. That is remembering that this is a pilot and we definitely want to build a better model and develop from the experiences that have been had this time around. As I was hardly overworked in my role as uber mentor, I'm particularly keen and I'm delighted to say the leadership team has agreed for me to do some very short interviews with all of the participants, in other words all of the mentees as well as all of the mentors, so that we can extract some useful information and data points that we can then use to build a better model as we move forward.

Those of us who will be able to see each other face-to-face in the Johannesburg meeting, I'm going to try and get five or ten minutes with those of you who have that time available there. The rest of the interviews will be conducted probably over Skype or telephone call. I'm sure ICANN will assist if we do need to put a phone bridge into the system as well.

It's downhill toward the end of the finishing line but a rather important step to go. Thanks.

ALI ALMESHAL:

Thanks a lot, Cheryl. With that, I would request the staff to arrange for this short interview with the mentees. Let's see who will be in Johannesburg so they can do a face-to-face with Cheryl there. But the other mentees who will not be in Johannesburg, then we would need to have an action item for them to arrange a short interview.

With that, we are announcing the close of this pilot program. APRALO leadership team are now in the process of evaluating all of this with the interview feedback as well. Then we will decide on the next step of this. Thank you very much again, and well done to all. Back to you, Satish.

SATISH BABU:

Thank you, Ali. [inaudible] for the [inaudible] the pilot Mentorship Program. The Mentorship Program actually had a lot of challenges given the size and diversity of Asia-Pacific, we did have a number of challenges with backgrounds because everybody was very different. Of course, the time zones are different. So it is good to note that we have

concluded on a high note. And certainly [inaudible] to Ali for leading this whole thing, to all the mentors [inaudible] time off for this program, to all the mentees and, of course, to Cheryl who gave us the framework for the whole program and continuously gave us input through this program.

What remains is, of course, a very important thing, which is to gather the feedback and to analyze the feedback and plan out the next rollout of this program because after the launch of the pilot we have had indications that other people would like to join but we said no. Let the pilot be over. So people are waiting for the next round of the rollout, so we will be coming back to the community after we finish this whole process of feedback and analysis and planning. A great program, and thanks to everybody for this.

Ali, I see your hand raised. Is it an old hand or a new hand?

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Satish. This is a new hand. Just one small comment and, sorry, maybe I have missed that.

SATISH BABU: Yeah, go ahead.

ALI ALMESHAL: Actually, I want to thank Siranush as well. We always miss that because she is the one who started this program with us before she left us [and

become staff], so thank you very much, Siranush, for your support and for the initiation and the startup of this program. Thanks a lot.

SATISH BABU:

You're right. Thanks, Siranush. You were here in the role as a leader, so thanks to Siranush as well. With that, are there any other comments from any mentees and mentors?

Right. Not seeing any hands, we will now move on to another important topic, which is the ICANN 60 General Assembly Updates. From now on, this agenda item will remain as one of our monthly agenda items until the completion of the General Assembly.

Now as you can imagine, APRALO is one of the larger RALOs, if not the largest. We have close to 50 ALSes, and we are hoping to be able to bring together all the active ALSes from this group of 50 to the ICANN 60 meeting where our General Assembly will take place.

Given the complexity of the overall General Assembly process, we have actually formed [and constituted] four operational committees, which are actually already working. They're mostly in the planning phase. I would like to request the committee Chairs who are present here today to give us an update on what they feel is the task of the committee and also some overview about what are the activities so that the community, especially those who have volunteered already for the communicates, to get an idea about what is involved.

The first of these committees is the Program Committee, and it's over to Holly for an update from her.

HOLLY RAICHE: Satish, I haven't done anything at this stage. What I would like to do is go back and look at the last time we had a General Assembly to see what we did and get a feeling for what we can do. We clearly have to work with the finance because what we can do depends on what money we have. But at this stage, I was sort of hoping that at Johannesburg we could sit down and go through past General Assemblies and what we have done in the past, what we have done in terms of the Showcase and other stuff. If anybody else has some ideas other than going through some of the stuff we've done in the past or ideas, I think Johannesburg is the place to really start this discussion in conjunction with the other three committees to see where we want to go with this. Lianna, are you going to be in Johannesburg?

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Yes, Holly. I will be there.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. Ali, are you going to be in Johannesburg?

ALI ALMESHAL: Unfortunately, no.

HOLLY RAICHE: Oh, dear. Okay. Well, look, we'll talk offline, but at this stage, what I would like to do is just have an informal meeting in Johannesburg to

start planning to just get some ideas around. If anybody has any ideas about what should be done in terms of our meetings, that would be great. Satish, you and I can sit down with some others as well in Johannesburg and start planning this, okay?

SATISH BABU:

Right, Holly, that sounds fine. I would like to just mention one aspect of the program that we have to [inaudible]. This is that we would ideally like to have three sets of [issues]. These are [policy] issues, organizational matters, and other matters, policy issues being the most important of the three.

In the organizational matters, some of the issues that we would like to discuss are things like the Rules of Procedure, the At-Large Review, leadership, mentoring, the ATLAS III which is going to come up, capacity building, communications like the wiki and etc. These are some of the organizational matters.

Policy, of course, we are clear what that discussion is about.

The other matter that we wanted to discuss was things like the regional [partnership], technical updates, addresses by some of the dignitaries like the ICANN CEO and the Chair and Board members, other people from SOs and ACs, etc.

So these are three buckets that we identified some time back, just for your information.

HOLLY RAICHE: Excellent. I think that we can take it from here, but you and I can actually talk offline to get moving on those areas.

SATISH BABU: Right. That sounds good, so we will discuss that in Johannesburg.

The second committee is Organizing Committee. Unfortunately, Maureen is not here, so I will give you a very brief skeletal kind of update. The Organizing Committee is basically to coordinate the logistics of the General Assembly, particularly the venue, venue arrangements, transportation, accommodation, hospitality and, of course, the APRALO Showcase, which unlike the Hyderabad Showcase which was kind of small, this Showcase is going to have all our ALSes as well. It’s going to be a fairly large group, so how to manage that is also a very significant chunk of work.

The activities would include finalizing the General Assembly venue and arrangements for every session. Like Holly is going to come up with a set of requirements for her session, so this group has to arrange for all that. Liaise with other committees, clearly the Outreach Committee on the Participant List. The showcase will be planned in coordination with the Finance Subcommittee because that’s where the money is going to come from, and the coordinating with Staff and ICANN Travel on accommodation, transportation, etc. So, these are broadly what comes under the organizing committee that Maureen is heading.

The third committee is the Finance Committee, which will be chaired by Ali. [Get] over to Ali for an update [inaudible].

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Satish. As far as I know, I mean, the only point I'm aware of as of now that some funding is required is for our Showcase and arrangements of the Showcase. So, what other funding that we are looking for so we can work out with the other team of this committee? What things we are expecting that we need funding for? Any idea, Satish, that I think we would need to have some funding outside ICANN support?

SATISH BABU: Yeah. Thanks, Ali. I think the [inaudible] for the Finance Committee would be to prepare the budget itself. We do, of course, have an allocation from ICANN, which will cover the [inaudible] but not the Showcase. For the Showcase, ICANN is giving a small amount of money like last time and we might have to raise the [rest].

So the [deal] itself, I think ICANN will be covering most of it. If I'm wrong, Silvia, please correct me, but the [deal] itself has allocation with ICANN. It should be sufficient. So, the Finance Committee will have to start with the budget.

ALI ALMESHAL: Okay. I have good news to update you on the budget requirement. I have just now received a confirmation that our Showcase will be supported and sponsored by the host of ICANN 60, which is Abu Dhabi TRA. So, the budget just this is a yes. And I have the e-mail and the

budget for around 350 participants, which is I think more than enough.
Am I right?

SATISH BABU: Yes. That should be enough. The 350 should be more than enough.

ALI ALMESHAL: Exactly. So, I have got a confirmation that we will be sponsored for the catering and the other things for the showcase, and also I'm working on some things like the cultural show or performance and we have a couple of options that I'm discussing them with the TRA there of the representative from TRA. So, to decide on what and then we'll update the committee, as well.

So, Showcase is taken care of, thanks to the TRA.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yay.

SATISH BABU: Yep. That's good news. Yeah. So, that is indeed a bit of good news from Ali that the Showcase has been taken care of. Last time, we had a lot of difficulty in the [inaudible] but through the work by Holly to raise some funds from Australia we [inaudible] very difficult. So, this time we have already managed to do this. Yeah. So, thanks, Ali, for that news and for the update.

We now move on to the another very important committee, which will be tracking ALSes. This is the Outreach Committee and Lianna will be sharing it. Over to you.

LIANNA GALSTYAN:

Thank you, Satish. And great news, Ali, indeed. Now we will have our Showcase and for this and for [inaudible] I want to say thank you for all volunteers, of which [inaudible] in this committee and contribute. We have very good response from our members. And to start the work with this committee, [I was asked] the task to provide me with the list of all ALSes so that we can make a difference between them who responded to our survey to remember that it was conducted a survey to all of our ALSes to see their capabilities and they [inaudible].

So, we'll make [inaudible] participants and see update of interest and try to work with this and with that finding. I will come back with [inaudible] this when I have the list and we will have call with our participants of subcommittee members. [inaudible] will help out with this call to see how we'll manage to [inaudible] share the ideas with [inaudible] and come back with some results. [inaudible] have the plan for the beginning when we need to in Johannesburg, we'll discuss with details with all of us I think that the results [inaudible]. She wanted to be [inaudible] subcommittee.

We will work on this [inaudible].

SATISH BABU: Great. Thank you, Lianna, for the update. I think Ali’s hand is raised. Go ahead, Ali.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Satish. Lianna, I have registered to be on the same committee with you because I have initiated some initiatives about the outreach and maybe we can work some more things about that because I have already communicated with the TRA how they can help us to reach the different like universities or some different [inaudible] [accommodations] within Abu Dhabi there. Also, I spoke to the ISOC but they will be there, so they are willing to help as well as the RIPE NCC that I have spoken with them and the local ISOC org of the UAE, as well.

So, they told me whatever we need, if we need to reach to universities or if we need to reach to different areas that [inaudible] outreach like that then they would arrange that. So if we have the plan and we know what we want to do, we will have an easy access [to this]. Just prepare it together and then we’ll have [it] and we’ll communicate this to the team in Abu Dhabi.

Also I spoke to [inaudible] and [inaudible] who are working on this as well so we’ll be working in cooperation with them because we don’t want to have double efforts so it will be a joint effort together. Thank you.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: Excellent, Ali. Of course we will work together and we’ll use that connection and their [inaudible] to see and their contact whatever we

have with the university to outreach the potential participants. Thank you very much Ali, for this update. We'll work together on this.

I think Maureen thinks that I guess we all need to be in our sub-committees for that to work/coordinate to have an update from all [inaudible] together. Thank you for this.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Lianna and Ali. I think the outreach has two aspects. One is the outreach with our ALSes and getting them to come to Abu Dhabi. The other aspect of outreach is when ICANN has a meeting in a country, ICANN does outreach to different like Ali mentioned universities and NGOs and so on. Now the ICANN part of it is largely a coordinated with effort within different ICANN entities like, for example, NCUC, the APAC Hub and so on. So that part we will have to also talk to the other entities concerned so that there's no duplication and some coordination at a high level, and that is what we did in Hyderabad. So that part we will do in consultation with the other parts of ICANN. [Whether] the ALS outreach is entirely our effort so we can pretty much do whatever it is we want to do to get them to come to the GA.

Are there any questions on any of these committees or any questions regarding the General Assembly? Please note that we do have a bit of an issue that roughly about 40% of our ALSes have not been responding for some time to our surveys and so on. So one of the tasks that the Outreach Committee will have to do is to make a best effort attempt to contact them and see if they can be made active. If they are still

unresponsive, we will not be inviting them to the GA. This is the position taken earlier and we will stick to that.

The other particular aspect which means contacting the local ALSes in a country. The Outreach Committee members, all the volunteers who have signed up, will have to help out and if there is no member of the committee in a particular country we might have to depend on some other way of contacting them. So we will have to anyway try to directly contact these nonresponsive ALSes. And this is a problem that we will face.

We could have complaints later saying that, “I was not invited to the GA.” So we will have to take care of that process. This is just to update the only-members in the community so that they are aware of this problem.

Once again, are there any comments or questions?

LIANNA GALSTYAN:

Maybe we can share about the method of working, Satish, how we are going to work with all the community. If you can say some words about this.

SATISH BABU:

Yes. We will have to have a discussion face to face so that we run through the list of ALSes and see what has been their background and have they been attending calls? Have they been attending any other program? Surveys? Some of them have, I think – I’ve not heard of them being active for quite some time – maybe two, three, years. For

example, the last GA of APRALO, apart from the [ATLAS] GA where everybody was there from all the At-Large community. The APRALO GA was held in Beijing, I think in 2014. And some of the ALSes who were there I find that they are not active for a long time whereas others are very active and we have, for example, all the people on this list today.

So we have to see how to reactivate those that can be reactivated. Because we understand that the main functions of several of our ALSes is not necessarily Internet Governance. They have other activities. Some of them are active as [consumer] kind of activities. Others are Computer Society. Many of them are ISOC Chapters, in which case it is easier. [ICANN46] was in 2013, not 2014. I stand corrected. Some of the ALSes, they have other things to do. Perhaps they are busy with that. This is something that we have to find out and contact them and see whether they can be reactivated from [inaudible] which means they can be reactivated [all] Internet Governance and ICANN Policy.

This is what we have to do. Of course, the Outreach Committee has to do it but I think it is all our collective responsibility of APRALO itself because it's a very important aspect of our membership.

We will discuss this in the Leadership Team as well as in the Outreach Committee and all the committees will eventually be having ways of communication which could be a call, which could be the e-mailing list, which will be deciding during the ICANN meeting coming up and after that it will be quite a hectic time because we will need to work on all these aspects simultaneously and this kind of informing the community that all of you might have to chip in, particularly those that have volunteered on this committee.

I don't see any hands raised or any comments so I'm assuming that this is okay. With that, we will now go on to the last item on the agenda which is Any Other Business, as there is one announcement which already the staff has already informed us in the beginning of this call which is that there is an important call coming up on Monday. Would Silvia or Evin want to give us a brief update on the Onboarding call on Monday?

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Hello, Satish. I shared a link earlier in the chat and will share again. On Monday we have the APRALO ALS and Individual Member Orientation call. It's a simple introductory call for new ALSes and individuals as well as the whole APRALO team to meet with APRALO Leadership Team and the ALAC Chair Alan Greenberg as well as well as the At-Large staff. We'll simply be going through how people can participate both logistically in the AC room – how to enter, how to attend meetings – and then what At-Large does as well as APRALO. It's a great introductory call and there we could also discuss how to further engage newcomers as well as the general APRALO community.

I hope you all can join that. It will be at 6:00 UTC this Monday, 19th June, and I'll send out more information and reminders. Thanks very much.

And I see Satish has been disconnected but we will perhaps dial out to him. Thanks for your patience.

ALI ALMESHAL:

This was his last comment.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think it was his last comment.

ALI ALMESHAL: This was his last comment so the system maybe had disconnected him automatically because it was his last comment.

EVIN ERDOGDU: I see. It looks like he's typing something.

ALI ALMESHAL: He's just saying... nothing else. I think we are done because this was – unless somebody has anything on Any Other Business.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No.

ALI ALMESHAL: [Okay then]. Thank you very much. I think this call is adjourned now and we're going to see you again. Bye.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Thank you, Ali. Thank you, everyone. Thank you, Evin. Thank you, Cheryl.

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Thank you very much. This call is now adjourned. Please do not forget to disconnect all lines from the AC room and the bridge when disconnecting. Thank you very much for your participation and have a wonderful rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]