
YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Technology Task Force call taking place on Monday, 5th of June, 2017, at 15:00 UTC.

On the call today on our English channel we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Sarah Kiden, Gordon Chillcott, Judith Hellerstein, John Laprise, Dustin Phillips, and Satish Babu.

Currently we don't have anyone on the Spanish channel.

We have received apologies from Olivier Crépin-Leblond and Alfredo Calderon.

Our Spanish interpreters today are Claudia and Marina.

From staff we have Mario Aleman, Corinna Ace, Mark Segall, and myself, Yesim Nazlar.

Finally, I would like to remind everyone to state their names before speaking not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpretation purposes as well.

Over to you, Dev. Thank you very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Yesim. I probably just will note that I think I wasn't too sure if you mentioned Glenn as an apology. He is trying to dial in but he may not be able to [inaudible] technical limitation. Just to note that.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Thanks and welcome to the Technology Task Force call. Just a look through our agenda [once we just quickly] look at our action items an update on our Technology Issues page. The beta testing of the At-Large's Google search update that's been done to the At-Large website is a beta site set up to test this so [just to get] some feedback. An update on the preliminary slides on conferencing solutions and also to look at the redesign of the At-Large Technology Task Force Working Group main page. And finally, just a brief overview of the TTF agenda for ICANN59.

Then anything else anyone wishes to add to this agenda?

[Inaudible].

Okay, seeing nobody raising their hands or typing, let's proceed to previous – some of the action items from our past call.

We'll do the action item for Mark Segall to respond to a request on the February call regarding the Service Level Agreements that ICANN has with the Adigo. Do you have any update on this, Mark?

MARK SEGALL:

Actually I do have that and I just need to search through my e-mails. [I had it] within a week of the February call and, of course, I missed the last call unfortunately. Let me tackle that one and get that off this list.

DEV ANAND TEEELUCKSINGH: Great. Okay. Thank you so very much.

“Mario to work with Satish, Judith, and myself, to see how to do the testing.” I don’t think that has happened. Mario, do you think you want to do something this week on this and do you think it’s worthwhile to try to do it this week – to try to do the [inaudible] testing of Adigo or should we defer [inaudible] Satish and Judith if we need to defer this until after ICANN59?

MARIO ALEMAN:

Absolutely. We actually started a conversation with Satish some weeks ago and what I will have to check is with staff in order to report the quality of the voice on Adigo and the inability to get through a local toll-free number and also the numbers that are changing from session to session.

So basically the question here is who to report, if we basically raise it to IT or if we just basically touch base with Josh Balch. But I will have an answer for you within the next hours today or this [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks for that. Thanks, Mario. Okay. I’m glad to see there’s some work being done on this. Any comments on this, Satish, on this action item?

Alright. I see that Glenn is not on the call so we can’t tackle that action item and Seun Ojedeji is not on the call either regarding those action items on that.

Regarding the LACRALO on progress made on the mailing list issue. Yes, this was done and in fact the testing has happened actually [inaudible] those effects on... without any adverse effects on the LACRALO mailing

list itself. So that part is [inaudible]. So you can practically mark that as complete.

There is an action item here, Judith, do you just want to quickly... it was to talk about the feedback on the meeting after the ARIN meeting. Do you have any update on this since neither Glenn or Alfredo is on?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I do not. The issue was people loved the ARIN app. I did not use it much so I can't report on what it was. I didn't see why it would be so great or anything like that so I cannot really comment on that. Satish said he has no comment on his one.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Alright. Some of the other action items I think it can be covered the updates on the technology issues and so forth. I think looking at all this [much] action items for now. Okay. Is that okay with everyone or is there a particular action item that somebody wishes to have a discussion?

Okay. Let's move ahead then to the At-Large Technology Issues page. Regarding the LACRALO mailing list, just as I briefly indicated before, what has happened was that the [inaudible] from the main LACRALO discussion list, the ones that's used today were redirected to the new transbot-en and es lists so that the idea behind this was that we could get some sampling of [inaudible] data how people are using the mailing list. So there's been quite an extensive amount of... a lot of e-mails have now been generated on the mailing list. I'm just posting the link to the

transbot-en list. So we have quite a bit of content to work on in terms of [inaudible] and so forth.

One problem – at least for me anyway – is that at least for me on a Gmail account, I’m not receiving the e-mails. I normally would have received the e-mails coming from the transbot-en. Like when I posted in transbot-en but I am not seeing any of the duplicates LACRALO e-mails coming to me. That’s probably one thing. I don’t know if anybody else that is on the new transbot-en list list or the new transbot-es list have any other comments.

Any comments from Satish and/or does Mark or Corinna have any updates on this aspect of the LACRALO mailing list [inaudible]?

CORINNA ACE:

Thanks, Dev, for the update. We actually still do need to investigate further to understand why specifically for the Gmail you wouldn’t be receiving those. We could have it as an item action on our end and the Development Team is also working on the one issue we identified right away with the subject lines specific to certain mail servers. Those are the [two sort of] kinks to work out and then also we’re just in the process of – I know along with you, Dev, as well – just reviewing those, some of the e-mails you can get to just from the URL list side. We’ll continue doing that and have our [inaudible] keep investigating to understand why you might not be receiving those e-mails. And then as we discussed briefly last week we’ll make sure we’re documenting all fixes or issues we’re finding and then solving. Hopefully that Gmail one will be solved soon and set up a time to have a special interest meeting

maybe to a part of a Johannesburg agenda before we're launching any of the new code.

So we just have some work to do but I think we're making progress and I will be in touch, Dev, about the sort of new forwarding to the test list that we've implemented. Thanks.

MARK SEGALL:

Not much to add to what Corinna just said other than I'll be taking point to make sure that the e-mails are coming through. I would imagine it's not a Gmail problem but I would [appreciate] if someone else on the Task Force team can verify that they're having the same problem as Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. I was trying to get onto the Adigo audio bridge so apologies for that but apparently it's not working.

[Inaudible] and so I [inaudible] getting the e-mails so [inaudible] so perhaps, Mark, we could just work on that offline after the call to figure out what is happening because I honestly don't understand.

I'm not seeing any more questions on the LACRALO mailing list one. The ability to export Adobe Connect recordings from Flash to mp4. We made one suggestion to have At-Large staff control a machine at the ICANN office to run the export of the recordings, the mp4 in the background and then that could also be uploaded to YouTube from that machine. And that would be the staff's responsibility to try to do it on their existing machines and try to do [inaudible].

Mark or Corinna, do you have any updates on this item?

MARK SEGALL: Sorry. I'm looking at the things, the little, small [inaudible] I'm trying to read what we're talking about. Sorry. Can you repeat what this one's about? I'm staring at the screen but it's too small for me at the moment.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I don't want to [Inaudible] to get some update on this regarding the ability to export these recordings because, as I mentioned in Copenhagen and in past calls, a lot of our content about the work we've been doing is not accessible to mobile users when these recordings are Flash only. They're not playable on mobile devices. It's nearly impossible or not practical to share on social media which most people are using on mobile. I do would like to see some sort of update of progress on this item in this regard.

MARK SEGALL: Hi, Satish. I understand what we're talking about. There's been internal discussion but I agree, there's not really been a lot of progress. I know that one of the requests was to maybe have a standing virtual machine or something where it can serve as the work space for the staff to log into. There's been a little bit of hesitance on that, to be frank. Nobody's said no or yes. I'll take that on. I think it's more just me continuing to keep the dialog going and see it through. So I'll take the action item.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for this, Mark. Any other thoughts or comments or [inaudible]?

YESIM NAZLAR: Is it possible to switch you to the phone bridge please because it's really hard for our interpreters to understand your line.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Go ahead and dial out to me again on [inaudible].

YESIM NAZLAR: My operator just confirmed that you are on the phone bridge already.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No, I'm not. What I can do, let me give you my office number. I'll send it to you in the private chat and you can then dial that number. Okay?

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you very much, Dev. I appreciate it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: And apologies for my voice not coming through clearly.

Just an update on having [several] resources available to test open source solutions – I don't know if Mark wishes to have any update on this item. [inaudible] got many traction [inaudible] providing some [sort

of] resources and then you can use it as digital playground to test open source solutions.

MARK SEGALL:

This one we've had some continued discussion. I think the main concern is from the legal side and just having an open-ended server. We're kind of going in a couple different directions. One is that in terms of just having something that's open-ended, even if it is completely transparent work that's [inaudible] they would prefer to have some kind of time box around requests and have some kind of formal request process and our IT Ops team, there's always the concern there for their capacity. There's also been discussion Chris Gift and I are trying to work towards something where we can [commit] tool selection with a little bit more holistic view. I know Chris mentioned it in Copenhagen but we have more work going on behind the scenes there where we're trying to look at the complete capability stats and what we have today and then work more towards more formal requirements of what is the tool's not doing for us today, can we address them with the existing tools or do we need to get new tools? Those kinds of things that we want to try working towards so that we can have something and not just for one community but seeing if we can find something that'll work for the ICANN community as a whole, which is, of course, going to be not [necessarily] the easiest thing to do but at the same time we think that it's something we should at least explore.

I don't know if that's really answering the question but just giving you some insight into what conversations we've been having.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I'm now on the audio bridge so hopefully persons can hear me better.

Thanks for that, Mark. Just to say that again, it would be very helpful. And again, I think the idea is again – to reiterate the idea for those who are new to the call – was that if you use a third party host outside of ICANN's IT infrastructure, minimizing any risk to ICANN's data and information and so forth on their network, we can then really deploy these tools much more rapidly and do the testing and then report back and then remove the information from that temporary server storage and then have it blank. That's the idea behind this because often we have [inaudible] have suggested open source solutions and we're really not in the place/position to really test it because of the challenges to get somebody to host it and then to actually do the test itself. That was the idea behind this technology issue.

So we've got an update from Mario on the audio quality which is that's also good. Is there any other technology issues that anyone wishes to note?

Going once. Going twice.

I see Judith has raised her hand. Judith, go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I just thought, did Mark find his notes on that from his other call and on the SLAs with the vendor for Adobe and I would be interested in hearing that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: At the beginning of the call Mark said he had the information and he was going to [really] circulate it. Mark, if you could respond as well.

MARK SEGALL: I'm trying to get myself off mute.

Yeah, it's buried in my inbox at this point but I can find it. The Meetings Team did provide me the contracts a couple months ago, so after this call I'll do a [Find]. I'll see I can find it and then circulate it with this team. I'm assuming just send it to the TTF mailing list as suffice. Does that sound good to everybody?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Judith, and thanks, Mark.

Any other comments or observations on any technology issues facing anyone in At-Large and when they're doing their various ICANN activities?

Going once. Going twice.

Okay. I do have one observation. I will probably write all this in more detail. That's relating to how the At-Large website is structured this data. What I've been working on is a stakeholder analysis tool and one of the things it tries to do is create the website for the information so that, in a sense, the information is pulled from the live information from ICANN's website and pulled into the tool. One of the challenges I've had

with the At-Large's website is that the way the HTML is encoded on the website, it's inconsistent and therefore, just to give a mild example, what is in one column for a name of a ALS, sometimes it's the URL of the At-Large Structure. So it's inconsistent data when you try to pull in the information and then I have to then try to correct. So I'll probably write a little bit more detailed post on that and add it to the Technologies list for Mark and Corinna to then study.

So that's about that. And if you want, you can just note that as an action item, Mario, so that I will follow up with that.

Judith, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Did we go over the Adobe Connect issues yet because I know we still have a bunch of several of them on there.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: We do have some Adobe Connect issues but I guess we can just raise them, the real key one because I don't want to spend too much time on these technology issues but let's just focus on the one core issue and that is that in May there was a lot of conference calls and it's been noted not just by with At-Large but within the ICANN community that we had a severe quality issues with Adobe Connect and/or Adigo. Specifically persons were unable to get into the Adobe Connect room. The persons were unable to use the Adobe Connect audio to connect to the conference call. And also there was like a sort of break in between the Adigo and the Adobe Connect so that persons on Adobe Connect

could not hear the persons on Adigo and vice versa. Persons on Adigo could not hear the persons speaking through the microphone on Adobe Connect.

This seemed to have eased within the past few weeks but I don't know if Mark or Corinna wants to raise their hand and speak to this, or Judith, you want to then elaborate on this?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I will now elaborate. I know this is a continuing problem but I think relates to the call quality that Mario said that Mark is going to look up. But also there was another issue besides this that I was going to raise later. Ariel had mentioned a bunch of times about once loading slides up onto the page, she can't see certain things and has to reboot or something like that. She said she noted it down and I think it's still a problem for her. She just has to reload each time.

If someone could check out the status of the non-resolved issues here, that would be great. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. John, you wanted to elaborate on this? Go ahead.

JOHN LAPRISE: I've been having mic problems speaking on Adobe Connect.

YESIM NAZLAR: Excuse me, John. Sorry for interrupting but I think you are speaking too close to the mic and your voice is... your volume is too high.

JOHN LAPRISE: Sorry. Let me change –

YESIM NAZLAR: If you can just move it a bit.

JOHN LAPRISE: How is that? Is that better?

YESIM NAZLAR: It's much better. Thanks so much.

JOHN LAPRISE: I have had problems recently with Adobe Connect. I was using it just fine. I was having mic connection issues. What I think has happened in recent weeks because I didn't have this problem previously is that Adobe Connect used a different or they changed their interface to some degree in terms of using Flash because once I went in and sort of messed around with my browser and its Flash [implementation], I now can actually get onto the mic. What's happening is that there's a pop-up screen that if your pop-up blocker is enabled, it's not coming up and so you're not able to fully activate the mic. But this is a change on Adobe's end for the technology in terms of how they were implementing it. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, John. Actually I think that's also related to what's happening with the browsers in that plug-ins are being depreciated in these browsers so what's happening is the workaround that it uses redirect to a Adobe Connect add-in which you must have installed. I think perhaps especially if your Adobe Connect plug-in isn't up-to-date that might pose a challenge.

Mark or Corinna, do either of you want to give an update on what was noted regarding Adobe Connect?

MARK SEGALL: I definitely can relate to the audio issues. We were having a lot of that here for a little while. We were internally were struggling with those that were on mic versus on the phone bridge. I know that one still crops up from time to time. I will take note to raise this to the Meeting Technical Services Team, make sure that it's still being raised. I know they have a weekly call with our vendor with their CTO and raising the issues we've had so I've got that tagged as an action item to reach out with them.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank for that, Mark. I just posted a link to the Adobe Connect add-in. There's been updates been posted for the Windows and Mac versions on April 10th and on April 26th. You probably would have to then ideally update to the latest version of the plug-ins.

Anyone has any other observations or comments on the Adobe Connect issues?

Okay. I'm seeing Judith typing. Okay. Judith just posted a link for the Adobe Connect Technology Issues page.

Again, if you all have any technology issues, just note it to the TTF mailing list and/or just edit the wiki to add your suggestion or issue and see, then we can then look to try to address that issue.

Okay. Seeing no other further hands raised let's move on to the next agenda item which is the update on the preliminary slides on conferencing solutions. Just to say that the basic draft slides have been done. Let me start that over. I mean we have the draft slide deck that we will be planning to update. On the last call, Satish and Justine volunteered to try to help with this – given that the limited bandwidth I have personally – to address this slide deck. I just wanted to just go over the core concepts of it. Again, if anyone has any suggestions on the core concepts or the core agenda of the report, the idea would be just the slide deck will have like an introduction on those conferencing solutions, the key desired features for the conferencing solutions, the Adobe Connect since it's the core conferencing solution used by ICANN and therefore At-Large. We then look at alternatives to Adobe Connect that potentially could be used by ICANN. Then we have an additional slide or slides to talk about what could be a useful tool for the At-Large community themselves. The idea being that a lot of this report can be very helpful for the At-Large community, their organizations [to] be able to do their conference calls and there are to my mind there's quite a few that do fit that bill and actually work quite well.

That's the general structure of the slide deck. There hasn't really been much work on the actual content as yet other than what's already on the wiki in terms of our past reviews of all the previous conferencing solutions. We have noted some of the core features that we are looking for on the wiki before so it's really now just to take that content from the wiki, put it up on there and update the slide deck accordingly.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

Okay. Judith was saying that she asked [Joly MacFie] to update the conferencing reporting on Zoom to put it on the wiki and also to put in the update on Meetecho because we have done a session with Meetecho in January, I think. So we need to update the wiki to really do the reporting on how we thought Meetecho worked.

Okay. Any other thoughts, comments, observations, on this approach or the reporting on conferencing solutions? The goal is to try to have a preliminary review during the ICANN59 meeting. I do want to hopefully see some updates to this slide deck in time for that.

I'm seeing people typing in the chat but...

Okay. Satish asked a question: "What are the next steps to fill these slides?"

I created a Skype group with you Satish and Justine and the co-Chairs, myself and Judith and Mario, and I've given you editing rights to these slides so it's really just to begin editing the documents and just diving for it.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Maybe you could also post the link to the wiki page that where we had the long... or was it an Excel document that we had the long tables or something about that where we had these charts on originally and then that would be helpful.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sure. I'm doing that right this second. Here are those links. We have a lot of information there on the wiki already in terms of core features and a comparison of the various web conferencing solutions.

My thinking – and again, it's up to Satish and Justine as they're the ones that are going to be driving this – would be not necessarily to focus exactly on every single solution if there were those that clearly didn't make the cut we don't really need to just spend a lot of putting slides to explain why. We could just have a summary to just say... It didn't have the core features in these areas and that's that. So it does become like one big long slide deck. But that is just my suggestion.

Any other thoughts or comments on this?

I'm seeing Satish typing.

And Indeed Satish, by all means, you can just contact ourselves in the Skype chat and if anybody else wishes to help be involved in the production of this slide deck, let us know and we'll just add you to it and give you editing rights as well so you can help shape it.

SARAH KIDEN: Hello? I request to join this team as well.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, Sarah. Thank you. Can we make an action item then to staff to add Sarah to the Skype chat and to give her editing rights to the presentation? Thanks, Sarah, for this. Much appreciated.

Seeing no further comments – sorry, Judith. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: There was another action item earlier that staff didn't put in. I forgot what it was but there was something earlier where I think Mark gave himself an action item on something.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is related to the conferencing solutions?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It wasn't. It was earlier but I just noticed it wasn't down here.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Judith, if you could just scan the action items and then post it in the chat and then we can then circle back to it in the Any Other Business.

Let's look at the next thing which is looking at the redesign of the At-Large Technology Task Force Working Group wiki page. I think perhaps what I would like to do is really... Most of the working groups have this same type of format of how the working group pages are structured. There's usually an About section, a Contact section, Meetings, Works

and Projects, Monthly Reports, Action Items, Members, and all of this is on one very long page. One of the things that has been coming up of recent was that we want to get more people encouraged and be involved in working groups but when they go to the working groups it's a bit disorienting in terms of finding out what it is, what is happening within the working group. So it was thought that what we really need to do is really get the community's input in trying to how do we want to redesign this wiki page?

Dustin has kindly stepped up to handle this task and perhaps he could just spend a few minutes on this call to just if anyone has any particular ideas or perhaps, Dustin, if you have any ideas in particular if you've look at the TTF wiki page and you have some thoughts or comments you're thinking of, you could take the floor and give your ideas.

DUSTIN PHILLIPS:

Thanks, Dev. I just had a chance to go over it this weekend and this morning and it's helpful to know what you just mentioned about the context of what we're hoping to [inaudible] page and I think if the goal is to get more people involved, cleaning it up a lot would be very helpful.

I see a lot of the information's on there already so for me it's just a matter of restructuring it. My ideas were to have a nice introductory paragraph at the top and then directly follow that with some good information about what's currently being worked on because I think that's really what's going to bring people in.

So, what's currently being worked on with links to each initiative or project if possible and then a clear set of directions of the ways in which they can get involved and who they need to contact, and then put the more procedural/organizational information further down on the page like the members and the... I think the About section is good to have but I think when you are introducing and talking about the report that initialized it, that might not be as interesting to people who aren't intimately involved with it and are considering getting involved so I would move that down towards the bottom and just have what your eyes immediately land on when you get to the page, the introduction, what's being worked on, and how to get involved.

That was just a preliminary glance and we have a page that Judith just shared where I took a stab at tentatively reorganizing it in a way that I thought it would be more effective.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for this. I see Billy, you have your hand raised. Go ahead. You have the floor.

BILLY EINKAMERER: I just also think that if you want your contents to be more engaging, obviously you want to start very high level so people know what they're getting into but what might be a nice idea – and I don't mind our organization contributing a bit to this – is maybe a 30-second animation or something to start off so you get your key points across in a very quick and visual way which might appeal to a wider audience so that they know what everything is about without actually reading much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Billy. That's a great and I think we welcome your input on this. I just want to confirm, do you have editing rights on this wiki and so forth? If this is officially your first meeting then perhaps not.

BILLY EINKAMERER: No, I don't have editing rights. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that this was for the wiki specifically but specifically anywhere that you do want to engage with more people and to make it more I guess exciting, I guess my idea is just to pop a 30-second or 45-second animation just saying what everything's about. And if you guys do want some help with that, feel free to contact me.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Billy. I think what we can do is certainly make this an action item for Mario to add Billy to the TTF mailing list. Okay. So Mario, do note that that. And actually, Billy, just send an-mail to the staff – to staff@atlarge.icann.org.

BILLY EINKAMERER: I'll do that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah, and then you'll have the e-mail address and then they can add you. Lovely.

With regard to that item, I would say yes. That's a great idea, Billy. I think perhaps maybe we could try to look at doing an animated gif which might be the simplest thing to render on the wiki page with some transitions of what is happening or what we are about. I think that's probably a good idea and that's something worth exploring.

That is true. Satish is saying animated may not have audio. That is true but we can see. We can try if we decided if we need audio or not. And if it is, maybe it's something that could be a short YouTube video or something like that if we think having audio might be better suited to explain what the TTF is and so forth.

I see, Billy, your hand is raised again. Does that mean that you still have a further follow-up? Okay, no.

Any other thoughts or comments?

SARAH KIDEN:

Hi, Dev. I would like to comment. I think we should have both the gif and the audio because you need both for different purposes, if it's possible to have both.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. I think we could certainly look, we could try to do both.

Judith? You may be muted, Judith. Judith? Now we can hear you. Okay. Go ahead, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: My question is, I think – and maybe staff can tell us – I think that the wiki doesn't allow us to have audio on it but I know the At-Large website does so maybe we could put a link there and do that because I know we could have gifs and that type of thing on the website. Maybe staff can look into that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I would say yes, we could probably look and see whether if such content such as the animated content could be included on the At-Large website itself, that could also be a plus. I'm thinking it is indeed possible. But we can certainly add that as an action item to check whether videos or animations can be put on the At-Large website. But I'm honestly thinking that'll be a yes. But we can certainly, it doesn't hurt to ask and make sure.

Just to also mention, though, that Confluence does allow you to embed YouTube videos and audio files and so forth but I'll just say the big challenge is with Confluence is there's two aspects actually. One big problem with Confluence I find is that it's very hard for mobile users and I'm beginning to think perhaps what ICANN does need us to look at is to look at whether the Confluence [theme] can be changed to a more mobile-friendly layout or [theme] or something like that. That's probably one observation.

The second thing is that in terms of trying to populate the wiki with up-to-date information, I would love to see some method of syndicating such information because you can embed things such as Twitter, for example, on the Confluence wiki and things such as RSS feeds on the

Confluence wiki. The problem is, we just don't have a easy way of syndicating updates from either our Technology Task Force mailing list and so forth on the Confluence wiki. So that to me is more of a technical challenge to try to see how can e-mails be embedded onto the sort of RSS feeds in a little box or column to say "Latest Updates."

I see those two things have generated some comments.

John, go ahead.

JOHN LAPRISE:

Dev, I completely concur and I don't think it's just an At-Large problem. All of ICANN is really not more mobile and this is a really big problem across the board for everyone and for the whole organization. When we were talking earlier just briefly about wikis, as it stands now the wiki format is not really very mobile accessible. It's not very convenient to edit or make changes in the wiki from a mobile device. So right there you're sort of cutting off people who might want to contribute or making it more difficult, and the last thing we want to do is raise barriers. I think the mobile issue is a more persistent one and is broader in scope across all of ICANN. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Noted.

Judith and then Mark. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I had the same problem with Safari on my iPad and phone. It constantly has to render, render, and you have to keep logging in, and it's just a real problem on the Confluence wiki and maybe it's just the version that works better on mobile. Maybe Confluence has a mobile version that we can push, and I'm looking forward to hear what Mark has to say on this.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that.

Mark?

MARK SEGALL: This is a perfect conversation right here. This is exactly what Chris and I have been talking about especially the last three months we've really started having a lot more discussion about... this goes back to that holistic platform ecosystem. It's very good to hear the concerns with Confluence because we are wanting to understand, can Confluence be a tool for us for the future? We're having initial dialogs with some partners of Atlassian who make Confluence to see if there's... maybe we can throw some [UX] at it that'll give it the responsive experience that we need or do we need to consider other solutions, and also that integrated experience you're talking about. How do we get it where we can have it integrated with mailing lists or whatever our chat platform of the future is going to be and also how does that chat platform integrate with Adobe Connect, for example, instead of using the Adobe Connect chat for meetings and another chat for day-to-day, can we have it all integrated together?

These are the kinds of discussions we've been having early and we wanted to have more dialog with the community. We had a brief discussion last week with some of the support staff and we want to keep expanding beyond that but definitely we're feeling your pain and we want to figure out how to... do we have the right tools and they just need some general cleansing or do we need to look at some places just having a full overhaul of tools? So more to come on that for sure.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Mark. Perhaps do you need expanded time to discuss and to bring this in for ICANN59 during the TTF session there? I think because if you have these ideas and you're [willing] to share of the thinking or some of the concepts, I think that would be actually wonderful to have presented at ICANN59 if you and Chris Gift can present on that.

MARK SEGALL: Let me talk with Chris and see if he's comfortable at this point. I know that we were trying to keep it more of a... not that we're trying to exclude but just making sure that we're having very focused dialog on it. I want that to call so let me chat with him and together we can come back to you on an agenda.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that.

John, you have a follow-up on this?

JOHN LAPRISE:

Yes, I do. Thank you. This is directed specifically to Mark and Chris. I hear your pain and I completely support your work. We're currently operating about 10 years in the past on Internet time. If you look at our pages, there are not convenient buttons to share on social media. For an international organization that administers the Internet, we are way behind the technology curve, which is in some ways at least for me, unconscionable. We shouldn't be in this position.

If you look at other global organizations that deal with the public in some capacity and just look at their websites, they're considerably less clunky. I'm glad that you're looking around and you're talking with folks, but there's a lot of examples around the world and around the net of websites that do it far better than we do it and that shouldn't be the case. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, John.

I see Judith's hand is raised. Okay, Judith. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. I've looked into the problem of what you talked about, John, and what staff has told us – because on the At-Large website we can do a lot of that activity. The problem is, because of software they're using there's only one person or two people who are allowed to make changes to the At-Large website but anyone can make changes to the wiki. So if there's some [other] things that you want put on the At-Large

website, you can send them to Ariel or you can create links and say, “I want you to link to the wiki.” The problem is that the wiki is not friendly. I understand the concerns staff have on the site but I wish we could figure out a way to get John’s ideas and others so that users could also edit content and put their ideas up and to respect the ideas that the website is a very delicate and complicated [beast] and that only some people can edit it.

I don’t know, maybe Mark or others can give us insights on how that trade-off can work.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I know we’re coming to the top of the hour.

John, go ahead.

JOHN LAPRISE: Just a quick follow-up to Judith. Yeah, we are using technology to make it harder for the At-Large community to engage. Let’s think about this. Our technology is making it harder for the global At-Large community to engage. That’s exactly the opposite of what we want to do. My instruction to Mark and Chris is that we need to use the technology in such a way that makes it easier for the At-Large community to engage. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, John, for that.

Actually, I know we're winding up to the top of the hour. I skipped one of the agenda items and that was the beta testing of the At-Large's website's Google Search update.

Just briefly, what has been done is that there's been a test of... [inaudible] to try to summarize this quickly. The idea behind the At-Large [staging dot] icann.org, it's a beta site where ICANN has rolled out an update and how Google Search is implemented on this website. We've been asked to give some feedback as to how this search works or isn't working and give any updates to this.

I have noted some comments and posted it on the TTF list. Satish has noted some comments as well. Do try it out and let us know if you've had any issues.

I don't know if anyone has any immediate comments on the At-Large testing.

Mark?

MARK SEGALL:

Yes, and again I wanted to thank you over the call here for the testing that has gone into it and finding that issue with the searching against phrases. We are planning to deploy this week [inaudible] and correct me if I'm wrong – actually it looks like she might have already dropped off the call but we'll verify that.

We're also very close to doing the same for icann.org. These are the two main sites impacted by that Google site search retirement that occurred in March, and both of them are coming up to the end of their contracts

here in the next month or so and we wanted to make sure we were doing it on our terms instead of having the sites downgraded on Google's terms. So far everything's been really good on it and appreciate the testing that's gone into it and continue testing that in the next couple days. We would appreciate anything we hear back.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Mark.

Again, I encourage everyone to give it a try and if there are any issues, please note them, send them out to the mailing list so that it can be looked at.

I think we are now four minutes past the hour and I know we have interpreters so I don't think we can really extend beyond.

The TTF agenda was posted to the mailing list and I believe the deadline... Actually, in theory we don't know if we can make modifications to the TTF agenda but relative minor tweaks so again, Mark, if you and Chris are willing to share some of the conversations you're having, I think we can expand and adjust our agenda to suit if you are willing to have a broader discussion on that.

Judith, you have a hand raised. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, we can make additions I think until June 9th to the agenda.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks for that, Judith. So yes, you do have some flexibility to make some adjustments so if you have any particular suggestions and if Mark and Chris come back to us we can then give them more time on a particular topic in the agenda.

Seeing no further question – I'm seeing lots of people chatting which is great – but I think I do need to end the call given that we have interpreters. I would like to thank everyone for this call. It has been very productive and very informative and it's good to get some of the feedback on the various technology issues we're facing from the community. I would like to thank everyone for attending this call and thanks to the interpreters and this call is now adjourned. Have a wonderful morning, afternoon, evening, day. Take care all.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]