
YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, to everyone. Welcome to the AFRALO Activities at ICANN59 call taking place on Wednesday, 31st of May, 2017, at 17:00 UTC.

On the call today on our English channel we have Sarah Kiden.

On the French channel we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, Aziz Hilali, Ramanou Biaou, and Isaac Maposa as well.

Currently we don't have any apologies received for this call.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, and myself, Yesim Nazlar.

Our French interpreters today are Claire and Jacques.

Finally, as always, I would like to remind everyone to state their names before speaking not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpretation purposes as well.

Now I would like to leave the floor to Aziz Hilali for the introduction. Thank you very much.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much, Yesim. Hello, everyone. Hello to all of those being present. We have less and less people present during [those] meeting and I hope it's going to get better because I know this is Ramadan. That can explain a lot. But we are three weeks away from the Johannesburg meeting so time is of the essence and we have to try today to use our

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

time well and to be very efficient in our discussion. We have 46 participants coming from ALSs – the ALSes’ participation – 46 ALSes. We’re going to talk about it soon with Gisella and we’re going to have a report about this participation.

We’re going to talk about the local community engagement that Tijani is putting together and the General Assembly is going to take place in Johannesburg and we’ll have a lot of time for it, for a good General Assembly. And let’s not forget about the Mentoring Program that Tijani already sent us to the list.

I’m going to give the floor to Sarah. Sarah is coordinating this organization. Thank you, Sarah, for being here. I know you’re in Nairobi now. Let’s start with Sarah to talk about the review of action items.

Sarah, you have the floor.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Sarah, can you hear us? Aziz just handed the floor to you.

The operator just confirmed me that Sarah is not muted so unfortunately we cannot hear her.

SARAH KIDEN:

Hello?

YESIM NAZLAR:

Sarah? Okay.

SARAH KIDEN: Yes. Can you hear me?

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes, I can hear you. Please go ahead.

SARAH KIDEN: I'm sorry. I'm currently at a gala dinner for the Africa Internet Summit so let's see how this goes.

I'm requesting that Aziz helps me review the action items because I failed to connect on Adobe Connect. Let me just... Give me one minute so I can load the page.

AZIZ HILALI: Sarah, do you want me to moderate the meeting? I can do that for you if you want.

SARAH KIDEN: I would appreciate if you do that.

AZIZ HILALI: Very well. Thank you, Sarah. We do understand very well. You don't have all the data in front of you.

So regarding the action items: "Gisella must invite the Communications Team." Gisella will let us know more about it pretty soon.

“Tijani must identify the Mentoring Program determining factor.” He’s going to tell us more about it. We’ll talk about the local community engagement with Tijani Ben Jemaa as well. And I will tell you more about the Memorandum of Understanding AFRINIC/AFRALO.

I’m going to give the floor to Tijani to talk about the Capacity Building. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much. Thank you, Aziz.

Regarding Capacity Building, the program is already... and the topics to be discussed and covered are already identified. We did a survey regarding those topics. We sent a questionnaire and the community answered. Now we have the four first topics. The third topic and the first one can be joined. It’s how to do PDP process and how to write a statement at At-Large. Those two can be really joined. So I made them only one topic and I added the following topic about the WHOIS RDS Registry Directory Services. This is about the WHOIS basically.

Now we have four topics and I talked about it the last time. Now I added the WHOIS/RDS. I wanted to have a teleconference to identify the speakers but many people of the Capacity Building Subgroup didn’t want to do that teleconference and wanted to just communicate by e-mail and I said okay. I’m going to propose some speakers to you, and let me know what you think.

Since I added a new topic, I have my speakers for the three topics but for the last one I just added I don’t have that last speaker. That’s why I

haven't gotten back to them very quickly. That will be done anyway. They are in Nairobi and it's difficult for us and them to answer quickly. As soon as I have a confirmation, I will come back to the subgroup in order to validate the choice of speakers and get back to you so that you have the final list of speakers.

We're going to have a training program. That's what I wanted to say about it. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Tijani. We have a page on the screen in front of us with the four topics. This is what we are speaking about: Security Trend Impacting Registrant and End Users, ICANN Empowered Community, Next Generation Registration Directory Services, and the first item, How to Participate in [inaudible] Policy.

Yes, it is.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Aziz? Yes, I've heard.

AZIZ HILALI:

Yes. Okay, Tijani. Thank you.

Now the [status] of the ALSes' participation. Now I'm going to give the floor to Gisella because she has done this follow-up. Gisella, you have the floor. Please, could you tell us how is the situation about the trips?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Aziz. I just wanted to tell you that on last Friday I had a long call with [Joseph] of Constituency Travel and we have analyzed a number of persons who are going to travel. I've sent a recording to those who didn't submit their trip request and on Wednesday there were 14 persons who were not in the system. As Monday was a holiday in the United States, I didn't receive the list. That was updated on the 31st of May. As soon as I receive this, list I'm going to send it to you so we know how many persons who are going to travel didn't send us their notice.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much, Gisella. Thank you for the work you've done. I know it's very difficult and we work together. There are people who have problems to fill the forms so I know that you have to work about that.

Now about the Communications Team, where are you?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Aziz. About the Communications Team, we have some problems about the schedule of this working group because it's Ramadan period so we didn't know at what time this meeting was going to take place and we didn't finish yet all the schedules – the engagement with local users, the Showcase – it's not finished so I think that on next Wednesday we will have all schedules finished or almost finished and then we will invite the Communications Team to work with them. Today they will not have enough information to work on it so it's not enough. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you, Gisella.

Tijani, you are asking for the floor. Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Aziz. What I wanted to say about the travels and travelers and the travel arrangements, I have tried to help on request of Gisella to help some persons who didn't do the arrangements for the travel. I have helped a person – [Aicha] – she already has her plane tickets. [Inaudible] didn't make his visa request so he has submitted his visa request yesterday. He will receive it in 10 days. There is also Mohammed.

AZIZ HILALI: Please could you give us something less detailed? We have no time to speak about each person details. Thank you. It's just a comment, Tijani. Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

AZIZ HILALI: Tijani, we can't hear you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, Aziz. It's okay. I'm here. I'm finished.

Can you hear me? I'm finished.

AZIZ HILALI: Now we are going to move to the next item.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Aziz? What is the topic now please, Aziz?

AZIZ HILALI: Tijani, I'm giving the floor to Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. I'm going to speak about mentoring. There is no news about mentoring because last time we meet I have sent you the mentors and mentees list and we agreed on that. So the next step will be the next webinar and we are going to tell all the ALSes the arrangements we made and we are going to ask the mentees and the mentors to contact each other before Johannesburg so they get to know each other and they can start working together, ask questions for the mentees to the mentors, etc. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much, Tijani. I have a question for you. We said that we were going to prepare a program individualized for each group. Where are we about this program? Do you want to organize a committee to work on that topic?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

The program will depend on the final topic of the ICANN meeting so we will know what are the meetings that we will choose for our groups. Once we have done that – and we will do that during next webinar or afterward – once we have done this, once we know which meeting, which session, we want to send our groups, we will give each group an individual program in which he will find each session he has to attend – At-Large meeting, capacity meeting, and Showcase – and [none] At-Large meetings, too. But we need the final ICANN meetings program to organize this.

Aziz, can you hear me?

AZIZ HILALI:

Okay. But we need to think with Gisella about something to give to the mentees. For example, the program for them and the [five], the articles, the folder with their planning for all week. And there is another schedule we must speak about, and this is how to manage each group, how to manage each meeting, the absence, the [stands], the booth also because I want to remind you that the ICANN Meetings Team is giving us the possibility to attend the booth so we need to speak about that – who will be in the booth. Do you have an idea, Gisella, Sarah, or Tijani? Do you have an idea about that?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I know that the booth has been allocated to us.

GISELLA GRUBER: Silvia and Mario are going to take care of the booth. Maybe Silvia will be able to give us some more data about that. [Göran] gave us the booth inside. Silvia is going to take care of finding someone for the booth. She's going to organize something so people can volunteer to take care of the booth.

Silvia, if you want to give us some more information, you have the floor.

AZIZ HILALI: Silvia, do you want to take the floor so you can give us some more details about what Gisella said?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Thank you very much, Aziz. That's right. We'll be getting a table, an area, assigned for us for At-Large and so we will have a table with three meters, fine two meters with a wall behind so it will be a nice space where we can accommodate two/three chairs and that will be for us to set up the AFRALO booth.

What we will do is organize a sign-up sheet with Mario Aleman and we'll ask for volunteers to be present at all times if possible at the booth. That's the information I have so far. Of course, we will distribute that sign-up sheet there at the meeting. Okay. So that's what I can provide you right now. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you, Silvia. We can add an action item for Silvia to send us this form for the AFRALO members to volunteer to have a person all the time in the booth.

Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. Thank you. [Aaron] told us that if the best way should be to contact an e-mail address he gave us. Maybe we can contact this person and ask her to write something on the wall. This wall needs to be painted in orange color and we need to write "AFRALO" on this wall. I think it's important to do that. We also need to be sure to have a pop-up banner. We need a second pop-up banner because the one of Nairobi was broken so a second pop-up banner to put in the stand. Thank you.

[AZIZ HILALI]: Thank you, Tijani. Silvia, I agree with what Tijani just said. It would be great to have a lot of orange color in the booth. Is it possible to have this orange color, Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Yes. I sent a e-mail. The person is [Melissa Graffort]. We have a back wall so I will e-mail her and communicate with her [inaudible] it is possible to have some sort of color and to see also the cost of this and see how the cost is distributed. I will get back to you on that. But it would be a great idea, of course so we will try.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much, Silvia, for your work.

Now let's go back to the next point – the local community engagement. Tijani is in charge of that and very closely follow the local community engagement. This is not an easy task and I would like to thank Tijani for his work which is not an easy one because I know that in South Africa this is not a very good period to do so in Johannesburg.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

The last contact with the local partner is to have the professors and the students and the professionals not only going to have students and professors. They should be able to come in the ICANN meeting and I made sure that we have a room up to 100 person to have now [46] ALSes and about 60 people from the local community, around 60 persons. Not more than 60 persons. We agreed with the local partner that it's going to be on Monday morning. We're going to start at 9:30 and finish at noon.

The room that we have is with interpretation. We'll have interpreters and we're ready for the logistics now. In order to do marketing for that meeting, I was asked to help out with the marketing and I wrote one paragraph giving some elements about the good marketing. They received it and they're getting ready for marketing text to be prepared regarding the content they asked me about what is going to be a brainstorming starting with an introduction, a multidimensional introduction, not all about ICANN, but a general introduction at first so that we not making it too long so that we know what we're talking about.

And then we do a brainstorming. We want to hear the end users from South Africa that came and will come to that meeting and to be able to answer some questions and we'll learn more about their problems and we want to listen to the end users of that area in South Africa and let ICANN know about their problems. That's why we will have this meeting I told you just about everything. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much, Tijani. We have some help on location. Mr. [inaudible] is very helpful and there's a professor from the university that is also very involved.

Now we move to point #7 – General Assembly Program. Let me say a few words. We have already a program and we know that we'll have two meetings. We'll have a coffee break in the middle. Two parts during that General Assembly for AFRALO. We'll start at 9:15 until 10:30, so about two hours for the first part – one hour 45 minutes – and first hour will be for our guests like Göran Marby, I CANN CEO, and I would like to know, Heidi – a question for Heidi – did we send an invitation to Göran Marby and was it sent to Cherine Chalaby or Pierre Dandjinou, Alan Greenberg, and Mohamed El Bashir?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. No. That has not been done yet. However, I am going to be going to the Los Angeles office today and I will speak directly with [Cassia] who works with Göran. Thank you very much.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much, Heidi, because I know that Göran Marby wants to be officially invited and in advance will put it in his schedule. Cherine Chalaby, Pierre Dandjinou, Alan Greenberg, and Mohamed El Bashir, we invited [inaudible] with those people because he is going to be the incoming President of AFRALO and Silvia, I think, is in charge of sending those invitations.

Tell me yes or no if you take a note of everything I said and Silvia is in charge of that, or should we do something?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. If I may, I can confirm that I am in charge of inviting so I will send the invites and cc the AFRALO leaders – Aziz, Tijani, and Sarah. Okay? I don't know if you can hear me.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can hear you, Silvia.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you so much. We heard you well. We noted what you said, Silvia. Thank you very much.

Now the activity reports will be the next topic and that's about 15-20 minutes – 15 minutes, coffee break and after our coffee break we'll have discussion on those AFRALO topics of much interest for us and we want to use the General Assembly since everybody will be there just about. We have to update all those issues and the way we function, the way we work, we have an awareness program – a pilot program – we

have CROP, we have to talk about it. Some people do not know CROP. CROP will be introduced by Tijani and the strategy of AFRALO for 2018 for the outreach for more outreach. If we have more time we'll ask the new President I think Tijani, me, or Mohammed are going to explain how to improve the participation of ALSes to AFRALO, how to do better, and check on our challenges, tackle those challenges and do better.

I see that Silvia wants to take the floor. Is it a new hand, Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello. Yes. I just wanted to quickly ask, I saw some e-mails – there was a question going back if you will allow me to the General Assembly program, if we are going through until 12:00 noon or 12:30. I think there was an outstanding question about that. I don't know if Gisella can confirm if we go until 12:00. That's all. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Yes. Tijani talked about it and I'm going to give the floor to Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, it's confirmed we are going to end at noon.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much, Tijani. Let's move to the next point – the promotional items. I'm going to give the floor to Gisella or Heidi so that we know what's going on with the T-shirts, the polo shirts, the USB

keys, and everything that is going to be distributed including the brochures.

Who wants to take the floor? Heidi, Silvia, or Gisella?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I will try to update you. My understanding that everything is being prepared, that we're going to be having first off the pop-up. The second one should be on its way. It's always shipped from meeting to meeting.

The buttons should be brought down by Bob.

The T-shirts, I believe, are underway. I will confirm that with him – if that could be an action item for me to confirm with Bob about the polo shirts.

We also now will have the brochures in French, Arabic, and English.

We also are looking into having orange banners for the name tags that will say, "AFRALO." We should be able to confirm that in the next few days if we'll be able to provide that.

And the USB drives, yes we will be bringing approximately 100 flash drives from the L.A. office to Johannesburg. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much, Heidi. Are we going to have T-shirts or polo shirts?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe the idea was polo shirts.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. I have a question for Heidi. What are the sizes for the polo shirts? Do we have one-size-fits-all or is there someone... there might be an issue. Is it one size fits all or several sizes? Did we take into consideration that we need several sizes of polo shirts?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's a valid point. Again, I will write to Bob and I will ask him about the sizes if we can get a selection of small, medium, and large, sizes. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you. Yes, Tijani. You have the floor. Go ahead. Do you want to take the floor?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No. Go ahead, Aziz. It's [carrying off] a little bit. Sorry. Just go ahead, Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much, Tijani.

Now I think we're doing good and well with time. We have to move to the –

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Aziz, we can't hear you. Aziz, we are not hearing you anymore.

AZIZ HILALI: Okay. Maybe Gisella has something new to tell us. We are going to be in the room and then we will go to the cocktail room, the big room where the cocktail will take place at the last part of the day.

GISELLA GRUBER: Aziz, I didn't hear what you said but I think you are speaking about the Showcase that will take place after the meeting in the ALAC room. So as we said, we will have a first section from 6:30 to 7:00 in the ALAC room. We will hear our speakers and then we will move to the other part of the room and I have a full proposal for the Showcase. I will send it to the group.

There are two possibilities with shows and I have sent this list to the Meetings Team department so they can tell us if there is some restriction that I don't know about the cocktail party and then I will send you their comments but you will receive this list soon and so we can finish the last part of the Showcase attraction.

AZIZ HILALI: Okay. Thank you, Gisella. Can you please send us the links of the different things that you are proposing to me and to Tijani so we can analyze the proposals?

Tijani, do you have something to add about the Showcase?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: If there are some proposal, I think it's better to send them to the organizer committee so people can give their opinion because it must be the choice of all the members of the group.

AZIZ HILALI: Okay. Do you have some questions?

Ramanou, Isaac, Gabriel, do you have a question, something to add, a comment?

Silvia, you are asking for the floor. Silvia, you have the floor. Go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Thank you very much. The question is about the AFRINIC MoU. I understood that it is in progress. You are in conversation. So I was wondering if you have an update at first, second we have a draft that can be posted and third if we can already incorporate it into the Showcase program with the name of the person who will be signing and all the details. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Silvia, to remind me this item. It is important. I had forgotten so thank you to remind me this question.

For the update, I have sent after the comments I have and the critiques I have received from the committee members and from Seun and Tijani. Tijani has been checking that last week and we send it on time because during the AIS there is a meeting with AFRINIC Board and so I needed to see the MoU draft and I had to send it to AFRINIC before the Board meeting. So I'm waiting for the comments of the AFRINIC members, then when they tell me that it's okay I will send you the final version on which we have agreed between AFRALO and AFRINIC.

I also want to ask everybody when do you prefer to have the signing of this agreement – during the Showcase ceremony or after or before? What do you think about that?

We're going to give the floor to Tijani first.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Well, I think that if we just have half an hour during the Showcase, it won't be enough to have the speakers or the speeches and the signing of the MoU so I think it's better to do it during the General Assembly.

Okay, Ramanou, you have the floor. What do you think about that, Ramanou?

RAMANOU BIAOU:

Well, I think that Tijani is right, during the General Assembly it will be better to sign the MoU and we will have more time and it's more logical.

AZIZ HILALI:

Okay. So we are agreeing on that.

I have in front of me the General Assembly program so we could sign the MoU just after Göran Marby's speech before he [left] so we will sign the MoU in front of the ICANN CEO and in front of the guests, the [honor] guests as Cherine Chalaby, etc. So I'm going to ask Silvia to add the signing of the MoU and the AFRALO/AFRINIC convention just after the Item #3 – Göran Marby's speech – on the General Assembly agenda.

We are almost on time. We have some minutes left. Do you want to add something to what was said?

If nobody is asking for the floor, I thank you all – Heidi, Silvia, Gisella – for the work you have done for our meeting in Johannesburg to be effective. Thank you to the interpreters. I think we will meet in next week for this committee meeting. Thank you.

Good evening, everybody.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]