

---

EVIN ERDOĞDU:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone, and welcome to the AFRALO Activities at ICANN59 call on Wednesday, 17<sup>th</sup> of May, 2017, from 17:00 UTC to 18:00 UTC.

Today on the call we have with us Tijani Ben Jemaa, Daniel Nanghaka, Seun Ojedeji, Sarah Kiden, Isaac Maposa, and apologies from Aziz Hilali.

On staff we have with us Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, and myself, Evin Erdoğan. I'll also be doing call management.

Our French interpreters today are Isabelle and Claire.

With that, I would like to remind everyone to please state your name for the record not only for transcription purposes but also for our interpreters.

I'll hand it over to you, Sarah. Thank you very much.

SARAH KIDEN:

Hi, everyone. This is Sarah. I would like to welcome you to this call but let me start by giving an apology. I'm not in a very quiet place. I'm at a coffee shop so I hope there is not a lot of background noise.

We're going to start our call today. Aziz is not here to give the introduction but I can give the introduction. This is [what] we are planning for AFRALO activities at the ICANN59 meeting in Johannesburg. We've been having quite a number of meetings in preparation for this [event] and we are very happy that all of you have been able to join us

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

thus far for the meetings. So we'll just go through the agenda items and then we'll keep getting updates as we go along.

I would like to propose that for Item #2 instead of reviewing action items, we should go through all the items because as we give updates about them, then we will see who's been able to cover the action items or not.

I would like to invite Gisella – that's Agenda Item #3 – to tell us the status of ALS participation, how many people have been able to secure visas, and things like that. So Gisella, you have the floor.

GISELLA GRUBER:

As far as ALSes, travelers from different AFRALO ALSes, we received a list of the travelers that had not yet finished or completed their reservations, and so currently we have about 20 of them that did not complete the form and about 18 of them that are in the process of doing so. We only have one who completed everything as of today. What we are currently doing with our Travel Constituency is that we are updating things every week with our travelers and the deadline will be in about 10 days so we need to make sure that people still have enough time to get their visa. But as far as right now, we are really following up very closely with people and we are updating people every week. That's all I can say for now.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Gisella. I have a question. I think I already [inaudible] you on [Skype] but some of the travelers are saying that they've not received

---

any forms. Would you know anything about that, specifically there's Ali from [inaudible] in Kenya.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Yes. There were some errors in e-mail addresses and we were able to get two out of the entire list. I am waiting for the Travel Constituency to respond to me to know exactly who did not respond at all to the e-mail message and who didn't click on the link to request travel. But I don't have the answer yet.

I did ask them and I asked the Travel Constituency to answer quickly so that we can have a status on each one of those travelers by the end of the week.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you very much. I think we can go on to the next item. Thank you for the update and thank you for following up with the travelers. We can go on to the next item which is Capacity Building. I would like to invite Tijani to give an update about Capacity Building.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Sarah. The Capacity Building Subgroup worked together and they started by proposing topics for the four policy sessions that we will organize in Johannesburg, and while those topics was proposed we had a call and during the call we decided that we will make a survey with people who will be in Johannesburg asking them for their preference or for their top four topics. The survey has been already sent so you must have received it. Please take it. Please give

---

your preference. It is very important for us so that we do the Capacity Building that you need and that you want. This is for the face-to-face sessions in Johannesburg.

Normally at the end of this week we will close the survey and by the beginning of next week we will try to have a call and address the issue of speakers so that will be almost ready. And then we will draw a program for each day. This is for the face-to-face sessions.

For the webinars, in preparation to those sessions, we already had one webinar and we are planning to have two others. The next one will be about the AFRALO activities in Johannesburg so that people will know what will happen and what they will do during Johannesburg. And then the next webinar will be about the general schedule of the Johannesburg meeting so that our ALSes know exactly what the non At-Large constituencies will do in Johannesburg. This is to make them aware that they need to go to their sessions and they need to follow some of those sessions. And since we will speak about that later when we speak about mentorship.

Since we have divided the group in seven groups, those groups will be assigned to some non At-Large sessions so that they know not only what is happening in At-Large but also what is happening in ICANN in general.

This is the general update about the Capacity Building. Thank you.

---

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you very much, Tijani. Does anyone have any questions for the Capacity Building Subgroup?

Okay. I don't see any hands up. I think there are no questions and we would like to thank the subgroup for all the work they have done so far regarding Capacity Building.

So if we can move on to the next item, unless there are any questions please feel free to stop me. We'll go to the next item which is mentoring, and again I would like to invite Tijani to give an update.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay. Thank you very much, Sarah. As we said at the beginning, we wanted to have small groups and to have a mentor for each subgroup so that they have easier communication and so that they can ask any question they want and can be led inside this huge event in Johannesburg. We did that. We did this division according to the language, according to the culture more or less, and according to the knowledge of people. Means that the mentors are the former and the actual officials of AFRALO plus some people who volunteered to help plus the experienced people in AFRALO.

So now we have two mentors by group and we have seven groups. Most of those groups have five people. Some have six. It is because of this issue of language and sometimes we are obliged to have more than but in general it is five people, sometimes it is six people. I think that with five or six people it is easy to communicate inside the group, especially when you have two mentors. So even if someone is not available, the other is available, and this will make things easier.

---

The role of the mentors will be to lead or to accompany the mentees during the Johannesburg meeting. And as I said before, we will try to make our ALS representatives go to other meetings than At-Large meetings and see how things are going, what people are doing, in the other constituencies. This will be done inside this division. During the third webinar in preparation for Johannesburg we will make people aware of their mentors and to explain them with the full schedule already will explain them what is the suitable for them to follow in Johannesburg.

This is the idea of the mentoring. The mentorship is to help especially new ALSes and even old ALSes who wasn't very involved in ICANN, to help them to navigate in Johannesburg and to follow everything, not to be lost. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you very much, Tijani. Does anyone have questions for Tijani regarding mentors?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. This is Seun. Can you hear me?

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. Yes we can. Seun, you have the floor.

---

SEUN OJEDEJI:

This is not a question – just to add to what Tijani has said. Like Tijani has said, we have about two mentors per group and the [inaudible] actually four. So while some groups are five and six, we actually have some groups also that are just four mentees which actually implies that it should make it easier for the group to be able to coordinate themselves and make the best of the time. The distribution was also done in the way that not all that the ALS was distributed across board in the way that ALSes in particular country is not concentrated in the particular group. So that makes it easier for diversity. That makes it easier to remove familiarity, which we actually in some instances may affect concentration and focus of the ALSes.

That would ensure that people take it more seriously because they really don't know themselves [but] perhaps they will [inaudible] because they don't know themselves. Maybe it will work that way for some people. We hope that will be a plus for this arrangement and we think it is a very good formulation. Also they will be able to get the attention of the ALSes.

That's all for now. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Seun. And thank you, Tijani. Does anyone else have questions or comments?

Okay. No hands raised and no one speaking on the phone bridge so I think we'll go to the next agenda item which is local community engagement. Once again, I would like to invite Tijani to give an update.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Sarah. I am really sorry that I am... It is because Aziz is absent. Anyway, for the community engagement, we are about to conclude something good. We have very good contact in Johannesburg who is proposing us something in university and I am so happy for that.

This proposal is not yet finalized because they are waiting from us the date of the event and I have to coordinate with Gisella and I did this morning to know what is the best day where we may have an afternoon for this event in Johannesburg. I have to coordinate now with the person on the ground and I hope it will work, but they are still not fixed because they want to have the detail program and I will send them a program. What is the program finally? It will be, we – the ICANN people – we will go to the university and we will explain them some very, very high level things and give them the floor. We want to hear from them. We want them to tell us what they think about what we are doing, what they think about ICANN, have they ever heard about ICANN, and what they are waiting from them? This is what we did in Marrakech and it was very, very, good, very successful. So this will be the program more or less. We will more or less do the same program as we did in Marrakech.

So I will send this to the person on the ground and I hope we will have confirmation from them so that we can finalize it very soon. Thank you.



---

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you very much. Heidi wants to say something but I just want to say I want to say I'm very happy. At least this is progress. We were beginning to lose hope of having any community engagement but this is very good news. Thank you very much.

Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much. Tijani, thank you for your efforts with the university. Because of the situation with some of the universities in Johannesburg and all across South Africa, ICANN security is very interested in finding out the details of the plans for any kind of going to universities or any kind of outreach activities. Could you please let us know the name of the university, the duration of any visit, and how far the university is away from the venue?

And just my final question, I'm just wondering given the situation whether it would be possible to rather than going out to the university whether the students could come to the venue and then stay for the entire day or so at the ICANN meeting.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Heidi. For your first question, this will be the information that people on the ground will give me a response to... because they need to know which day what is the program and once they have that, they will give me the venue. They said they are ready to secure the venue. They didn't tell me in which university. I don't know the university. Perhaps they know but I don't know.

---

Once we give them, they will give us those information and I will communicate. I am aware of the worry of the security people of ICANN and I understand it and it will be in full cooperation with the security people in ICANN.

As for bringing people to the venue, I asked this question before and I said is there sufficient space to have people inside the venue and I didn't get the answer. So if you can give me the answer if it is possible to have a big space to receive those students and teachers, it will be very good so that I will have both alternatives.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sarah, if I may?

SARAH KIDEN: Yes. Sure.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Tijani, we're very happy to work with you on this, and in particular I think it just would be easier and also probably more interesting to the students that just come and view what an ICANN meeting is like. Do you have the approximate numbers that might be interested in coming to the venue if that is the option that is selected?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Frankly speaking, I don't have this. I don't have the number. But I suppose it will be an amphitheater as it was in Marrakech, so it is a big

---

classroom, if you want – a very large classroom. I was told that perhaps we cannot have such a large space for them in the venue. But please confirm. Tell me the maximum. Give me the maximum.

HEIDI ULLRICH: If we said it would be a maximum 100 people in the room – so again, we have 42-43 from AFRALO and then around 52-53 or so students. I think that would be maximum I would think. Then again, Gisella can work with the meeting staff on finding a room. We are assuming that it would not need interpretation since the language is primarily English. Is that correct?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. Correct.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So no interpretation and a room for about 100.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. Interpretation, Heidi, it is not necessary for people on the ground but if we will have all our ALSes present they will be more if they don't understand English. We can think about it. It is not the problem. Let's find the space first and if we have the space it will be good.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So what we can do if we could just – Gisella, I guess what we could do is just work with Tanzania on where space is available and

---

then maybe we can say let them know what day and time is best for this meeting.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Heidi. If I may... Sorry I didn't put my hand up.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Gisella, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Daniel. If I may just because we're talking logistics here and A) the meeting forms have already, we've already gone past the deadlines of submitting meeting forms but important to know, to understand is if we've got... we need a room for 100 people, the room with 100 people we will work on – sorry, if Daniel's line could please be muted, operator – if we work on a room for 100 people, then A) do we need interpretation and you said it depends on what we can get, B) I'd need to know if we're just looking for space because we could find space in the afternoon. That would be against a cross-community session, and I don't believe that what we really want to do against any cross-community session was to hold a very large meeting.

So just to get an understanding of how many hours you need and also with regards to the program, what is it going to be about and are you going to invite any guest speakers? If you do invite any guest speakers and it does run against one of the cross-community sessions, I think we might have issues. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Gisella. I am sorry to jump in the queue and answer your question. As for guest speakers, they will be all At-Large as we did in Marrakech. We will try to find availability and most likely on Thursday since it is the second session on the same topic I hope we will find people who can come and do it with us. Otherwise, we will find. Don't worry about that. I will try my best to have the best people to come.

Second, we need the space. It is very important, the space. The room is very important. I have to work with the people on the ground about what they are proposing because they said they can secure the venue. So I will propose them the alternative to come in the venue and this will be better because people will see and this was my first choice. People will see how an ICANN meeting looks like and the impact will be better. But my problem is the space. This is the big problem.

Anyway, I think Gisella, we will work together to make things the best. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you very much, Tijani. Thank you, Heidi. Does anyone have questions or comments about this item?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Daniel.

---

SARAH KIDEN: Okay, Daniel. You have the floor.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Sarah, for giving me the floor. I'm very happy that the outreach and engagement is going to take place in Johannesburg, but one thing that I also request is if we can be able to have remote participation in the room that is going to be used for this joint group. And also when it comes to the panel, at least I'm glad that Tijani is going to work on it. Just like how it happened in Marrakech, we had the students who we talked to about what ICANN is, how they can be able to engage, and also the session was so much interactive and we were able to get insight and also talk about ICANN, and this should be one of the things from the agenda for [inaudible] presentation if we can start working on that then that would be very great because then we can begin to identify the different [inaudible] the sessions.

Also the times for the sessions would be preferably maybe one and a half hours or probably two hours maximum to allow contact interaction. Thank you. Back to you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you very much, Daniel. Thank you for your comments. Does anyone else have questions or comments about this item?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello. This is Seun. Can you hear me?

---

SARAH KIDEN: Yes we can hear you, Seun. Go ahead. You have the floor.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you, Tijani, for the update. Just a quick one to Tijani. The local people, I want to confirm – are they an ALS or just a friend of ICANN? If they are ALS, maybe we can also ask them to do a little bit of an introduction or [a bit of talk] with the students even before they come in to the venue so that they kind of have a theoretical understanding of the [old things] and then they are excited to see, to [comment on the] practical aspect like they talk to people, to students about airplanes and then they take them to the airport to see how planes fly.

Are they ALSes or are they just friends of ICANN and would they be able to have the time to actually talk to the students maybe for an hour or two? Even if it means that even if they are not ALSes maybe we can ask one of our ALSes to do that. But the question is, will that opportunity be possible locally? Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: If I may, Sarah –

SARAH KIDEN: Yes you can respond.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I am afraid I didn't understand your question. You are asking if they are ALSes or friends of ICANN. Who are you talking about?

SARAH KIDEN: Seun, I believe that is for you.

Seun Ojedeji: Hello. Can you hear me?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I can.

SEUN OJEDEJI: You said something. Tijani, you said you are going to ask the local people so I assume that you have a contact in South Africa who is actually organizing the session, so I'm asking that particular contact, is that one of our ALSes? If it's not one of our ALSes in South Africa, can one of our ALSes work with that person to actually give a background information, [introduce] to them before the meeting at ICANN59?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you, Seun. I understand now your question. No, those people are not ALSes at all. They are only friends to ICANN. They come to ICANN [inaudible] so they are not ALSes at all.

As for the students to be updated before they come – as soon as we identify the population and we identify everything, we will send to



---

those people some material for the students to start and read something before coming. And if they will come to the venue I will try to arrange them to come from the morning so that they see a whole day in ICANN. And perhaps in the morning they will not be able to be all together in the same room but at least they can navigate and have an idea about ICANN and then in the afternoon we will have the session. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Tijani. Thank you, Seun and Daniel, and [inaudible] for your comments. I also agree it would be nice to have them come to the venue so they actually get to see what happens at an ICANN meeting, [inaudible] interest or they may want to say so I think it would be [inaudible] interest so let's keep our fingers crossed that we can get the room and the venue.

I don't know if there are any more questions or comments about that. Otherwise, I would like us to go to the next item on the agenda which is General Assembly program. Since Aziz is not on the call and Tijani has been speaking the whole meeting, I think I'll talk about this item. Gisella has a comment so Gisella, you have the floor.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Just to come back to what we were saying and just an idea moving forward, Tijani, and because we're already so late with submitting forms, I would suggest if you don't mind the Thursday afternoon since you've decided that the session would run against the Geographic Names Session too, is to already put in a meeting form from 15:15 to

---

18:30 – sorry, I hear that there’s an echo and that’ it’s hard to interpret. Let me just... sorry... I’m just checking whether they are able to interpret me or not, otherwise I’ll just switch to the French Channel. Thank you. Just bear with me for a second. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: We hear you very good, Gisella.

INTERPRETER: Go ahead and try, Gisella. Maybe it’s better now. I don’t know.

GISELLA GRUBER: Just bear with me for a second. I think I know what the issue is. Sorry. My sincere apologies. It should be better now.

Just getting back to what I was saying, I suggest that on Thursday afternoon the ALAC Wrap-Up Session ends at 15:00, we could put a meeting form in for this session with our AFRALO ALSes as well as the students to run from 15:15 to 18:30. I know it is a three-hour block but at this late stage it’s better to get a session in for longer and then shorten it if need be, but the thought behind that is A) if we could have the ALAC room, B) if we could have interpretation already in the meeting form, if you then wish to cancel it we can do so but I think it would be very beneficial for AFRALO ALSes to attend this as well. And then also it’s 18:30. All our guests can join the wrap-up cocktail which will be a nice end to the day. And if you do wish for them to come all day long, we can definitely make arrangements to meet them on their arrival, make sure that they get their badges, and depending on the size

---

of the group but I think that's what we did in Marrakech and it worked very well, and they should have teachers accompany them as well, and then just make sure that throughout the day they know which sessions to attend or perhaps already ahead of time check which sessions would be of interest to them. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Gisella, for your excellent idea. I think it's welcomed by many people, even on the chat I see some people agreeing to the idea so yes. That's a good idea. I don't know what Tijani thinks about it.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I think it is wonderful idea. I made the sign of the applause on the Adobe. Means that it is excellent. What Gisella said, it is excellent. It is exactly what we need to do.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you. So we can move on to the next item unless anyone has questions.

No questions. So let's move on to the next item which is General Assembly program. Since Aziz is not here I think I'll talk about it. I request to upload the General Assembly program.

As we are waiting for the program to be uploaded, I think all of us have received a copy of the program on our e-mails or we [inaudible] meeting. So I don't know if anyone has comments or if there's anything you'd like to have removed or added onto the program because we

---

need to start inviting our speakers as soon as possible for them to mark their calendars.

Yes, Tijani. You would like to say something? You have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Sarah. I don't know if you know it but normally at the beginning we programmed a General Assembly of two hours, but now we have an extra 30 minutes that we may use. It is very good because it will be a General Assembly where we will discuss the revision, the review, of our Operating Principles, and I think we will have a large and deep discussion on it. So with this large time, we will secure that everyone will have time to express themselves, to understand the point, etc. Thank you very much.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Tijani. Gisella, your hand is still up. Do you have a comment about this?

Okay, old hand. Does anyone have questions or comments about this agenda item?

Okay. I guess not, but I would request you to respond to your e-mail so that we can approve the program and start to invite our speakers for the General Assembly.

We'll go on to the next item which is promotional items for all our activities. I will give a brief update, then Heidi and other people can maybe add onto that. We had a meeting yesterday with Bob Ochieng

---

from the Global Stakeholder Engagement Team in Africa, and we confirmed that many of the things can be sourced locally in Nairobi so we are planning to get items for both the African Internet Summit that's going to start next week as well as for the ICANN meeting in Johannesburg. So far we already agreed that we will get 200 flash disks – 100 will be used at the African Internet Summit and 100 will be used for the AFRALO General Assembly. Then buttons or pins with the AFRALO logo, we're going to get 500 of those – 250 will be used for the AIS and the other 250 will be used for the AFRALO General Assembly. And then brochures and business cards, Silvia is working with the Communications Team to have those printed in English, French, and Arabic. I think they said they would do 500 in each language and then we'll use 250 for each language at the AIS and 250 at the ICANN meeting. And we're also hoping to give out some of the remaining copies to our ALSes so that they can carry them back and share them with some of their members.

Regarding t-shirts we are waiting for our quotation from Bob but we agreed that we can get t-shirts for our ALSes. That's 50 t-shirts. But we are waiting for Bob to send the quotation and I think Heidi wants to correct me or to say to provide more information. Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you very much, Sarah. I just wanted to let you know that we are still working on looking at the quotes for the polo shirts. Earlier today, Bob noted that they would need to dye them orange because they only have the white polo shirts. So we're looking into that. We also

---

followed up with our Coms Department for the translated versions of the AFRALO brochure. And the news is that the Arabic and French versions are not yet ready. They should be ready. We believe that they will be ready and printed in time for the AFRALO event in Johannesburg. However, they will likely not be in French and Arabic in time for the AIS. So I just wanted to say that. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you very much, Heidi. I don't know if anyone has questions or comments about this.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello. This is Seun. Can you hear me?

SARAH KIDEN: Yes, we can hear you. Go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I just wanted to say that if what Bob and team [inaudible] white shirts, what if we use the white for the AFRALO [inaudible] name on it because dying the shirts means that I don't know how the quality of dying will be. It could also mean that it will wash very fast and then the quality... it may not be dyed in a way that to retain the color for so long.

I'm wondering if it is white, what if [inaudible] AFRALO [is set] on it [with it not achieve the purpose]? That is the question. Thank you.

---

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello.

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. Go ahead please.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello. Hello. Sorry. One other thing I wanted to mention is in relation to the pen drives. I think it was [inaudible] I saw or [inaudible] so does it mean 50 for the GA and then 50 for AIS? Is that the [arrangement]? Because I think on the long haul we may have to put some materials on pen drives for the students that will be coming during the GA. So if it is 50 pen drives and [inaudible] perhaps the ALSes will receive [that], what will we give to the [GA] and to the students that will come to the ICANN meeting? That is just something that came to my mind. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Seun. With regards to the pen drives [we said] it was 200 – so 100 for the AIS and another 100 for the General Assembly. Tijani wants to add some more. And then about the t-shirts, I know it was said orange because orange is our official AFRALO color but I don't know, we didn't talk about having white or printing the logo on it. We didn't talk about that but people can suggest and then we can get a preference.

Tijani would like to comment about this. You have the floor.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Sarah. I don't think that painting the existing white polo is not a good solution because I know the quality will not be what we are expecting. I think that since we have time, since it is for Johannesburg and not for the Summit, I think that Bob may find other providers that may have an orange color. I don't think it is impossible to find orange color on the market, and if it is not orange, if we take it in white as you are proposing, it will be meaningless because the color of AFRALO is orange and the idea of the t-shirt is to have all the ALSes, all the AFRALO people, wearing the orange polo. This is something that we need if we want to give it an impact.

I think that it is necessary to have original orange color for the polo, not to reprint or I don't know how do you call it, dye it or something like this. And we need it for the General Assembly, not for the Summit. So we still have a little bit time. Bob perhaps can find another provider. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Tijani. Seun, was your question answered – actually questions – were they answered?

SEUN OJEDEJI:

I didn't hear about the... I think you were trying to answer the USB. You said 100, right, if I heard it correctly, Sarah?



---

SARAH KIDEN: Yes. It's 100.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. That's fine. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you. I don't know if there are any questions or comments or we can move on to the next item which is the Showcase. Tijani or Gisella, I would like to invite you to give us an update about this.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Gisella is the best person to speak about that.

SARAH KIDEN: [Inaudible].

GISELLA GRUBER: I am in contact with a local company in South Africa to find out what we could get for the budget that we usually allocate to the Showcase which is \$1,200. As we said in the last call, the thinking behind the Showcase as it is going to be from 18:30 running through to 20:00 – I'm just making sure the interpreters can still interpret because we've got the ringing –

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [Inaudible].

---

GISELLA GRUBER:

I'm sorry. I'm going to continue. As I was saying, the AFRALO Showcase taking place from 18:30 to 20:00, it will start during the ICANN Networking Cocktail which we have every evening. So from 18:30 to 19:00 we would have the guest speakers and the speeches in our ALAC room. We would then make our way to the main Cocktail where at 19:00 we would invite musicians, dancers, gumboot dancers, a gospel choir, tribal show – I've just got some suggestions through so I'm reading off a list. I need to look at the pricing of this and then everyone, the whole ICANN community, would be able to enjoy this entertainment. We would say that this would be in conjunction with the AFRALO Showcase and then we would just continue and have the cocktail there.

It has been confirmed that there will be canapés and not just dry snacks that evening. Fortunately because catering in South Africa is not as expensive as it usually is around in other parts of the world so it is playing in our advantage.

I will update the list as soon as I've been able to – I wouldn't say "finalize" – but as soon as I've been able to find an entertainment that would fit in within our budget, I will submit it to this organizing committee and we can take it from there. You will hear back from me before the end of the week. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you very much, Gisella, for that update. Does anyone have questions or comments about this item?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello. This is Seun. I would like to stay in the queue.

SARAH KIDEN: Seun, you have the floor. You're the first in the queue.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you, Sarah. Thank you, Gisella, for that update. I look forward to the Showcase. It's impressive that things are not as expensive in South Africa. That's good news.

You mentioned in terms of the entertainment you mentioned gospel singers or dancers or something. I think we should take note of that and we should whatever is being presented as entertainment may not be religious so we should try to avoid anything religious. If it's traditional, that is fine. But anything that is religious, since we have religious diversity in the group, in the audience, so it would be better to stay off such religious dancers. Just to note that. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sarah, do you mind if I respond to Seun, please?

SARAH KIDEN: No, I don't mind. Please respond.

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you very much. Seun, very good point made. As it stands now, I was reading off a list. The gospel choir is too long. I don't believe that when they do say the gospel choir in this context that it is religious, but I have definitely made note of it. What I would like to say and which does come within budget is a 20-minute performance of the African Gumboot Dancers. Now, I don't know who of you has already seen their shows. It is world renowned because I've already seen it twice in London. It may not be that troupe obviously at this price, but it is something that is, I'd say, African/South African possibly. I will read up about it to be accurate in my statement. But it is a fantastic show.

We had the Zulu dancer in Durbin, so maybe just to change to make it again, typically South African, we could do the Gumboot Dancers. But again, I am looking into this and thank you very much for your comment.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Gisella. And thank you, Seun. Does anyone else have comments or questions about this item?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hi, Sarah. I have a question but not about this item but about something else.

SARAH KIDEN: Go ahead, Silvia.

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: I was wondering, I heard a while ago that there was plans to renew the MoU with AFRINIC and I was wondering if there are any conversations ongoing on this and if so, how to incorporate the signing of the MoU into the program during the General Assembly or the Showcase. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Silvia, for speaking. Tijani, you would like to respond to that. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Silvia, for this question. Yes indeed, the MoU will be signed in Johannesburg. There are several activities. I think the best [inaudible] to do it during the Showcase since we will have perhaps more people. The General Assembly will be more official, more ALSes, but the Showcase will have people from outside of At-Large so it will be wider. But frankly speaking, we didn't think about it deeply now because we don't have already the MoU ready. But it will be ready, no problem.

Thank you for reminding us. We will try to speed up and to make it ready and also to insert it in the program. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Great. Thank you very much, Tijani. And just so you know – perhaps you already know – LACRALO is also about to sign an MoU LACNIC on May 21<sup>st</sup>, so the signature with AFRINIC – the renewal actually because AFRINIC and AFRALO were the first ones to sign an MoU – would be a great opportunity to show this progress and to have some coverage in

---

social media to Facebook and Twitter, etc. So let us know and we will incorporate into the program. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Of course, Silvia. And I count on you for the communication program. We have to have a communication program not only for the MoU signature but also for our ALSes to be interviewed to get a lot of information and a lot of posting on social media about our ALSes, about our General Assembly, about our Capacity Building program, about our mentorship program, etc. etc. This is a very good opportunity for us to communicate very well and I count on you, Silvia, to help us.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Absolutely. Thank you very much, Tijani [inaudible].

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Silvia. Thank you, Tijani. Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you. Just a couple of points – one is that I’m wondering if we could invite somebody from Communications on the next call or one of the future calls just to talk about some of the promotion that you would like so we can get that sorted.

And then the second item, I wonder if we could put on perhaps the next call is the activities at the outreach booth that you are planning in

---

Johannesburg so we can work with Tanzania on getting that ready to go as well. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: May I speak?

SARAH KIDEN: Yes, please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you. Thank you very much, Heidi. Very good idea and next call we have to invite Luna or someone from the Communication Department and Tanzania from the Meeting Staff, and we will speak about communication, about how to promote our events with the Communications people and with Tanzania for all the issues related to the logistics. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [Inaudible].

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Sarah?

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Tijani, and thank you, everyone. I don't know if anyone has any more comments or questions. We are I think we have one more minute to end the call.

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello. This is Seun. Can you hear me?

SARAH KIDEN: Seun, please go ahead. Yes, we can hear you. Please go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: [Inaudible] just a quick one on the Any Other Business. It's not on the agenda. I just want to [inaudible] how much of the ALSes have actually confirmed their visa status? What is the progress on that so we have an idea how many of them actually are going to finally show up in Johannesburg. Do we have any status yet? Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Seun. Gisella gave an update at the beginning of the call and she said so far only one person has confirmed everything and they have their visa. I think there was 18 people that are in the process and I don't know what happened to the rest, so she said she'd give us an update at the end of the week after contacting Constituency Travel so that we know who has a visa, who has done what and things like that. But only one person has a visa and is ready to travel. Okay, Tijani would like to add to that and maybe Gisella can –

SEUN OJEDEJI: You've answered it. That's fine. Thank you.



---

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: For your information I had my visa today. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: That's very good news. Thank you.

I would like to end the call right now if there are no more comments, and I would like to sincerely pass my apologies to the interpreters. They really had a hard time because I'm in a coffee shop and there's a lot of background noise and I think this was not a good idea. But I would like to thank the interpreters and to thank everyone for joining us on this call, and the staff and all our participants.

Over to you, Evin. That's it for me. Thank you.

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Thank you all. This call is now adjourned. Please do not forget to disconnect your lines from AC room and the bridge and thank you for your participation and have a wonderful rest of your day. Bye-bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**