

---

MARIO ALEMAN:

Welcome, everyone, to the call. I'll be managing today's call. We're now at the top of the hour. Good afternoon and good evening, everyone. Welcome to the NARALO Monthly teleconference call on Monday, 12 June 2017.

On the English channel, we have the following attendees: Glenn McKnight, Eduardo Diaz, Gordon Chillcott, Javier Rúa-Jovet, John Laprise, Alan Greenberg, Leah Symekher, Susannah Gray, John More, and Loris Taylor just joined. On the French channel, we have Louis Houle. We have apologies from Judith Hellerstein and Seth Reiss as well as from Alfredo Calderon.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, and myself, Mario Aleman doing the call management. Our interpreters, we have Jacques and Isabelle doing translation and interpretation in French.

I would like to remind all the participants to please state your name before speaking, not only for transcription purposes, but also for our interpreters.

With this, I would like to give it back to you, Glenn, so you can start the call.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thanks. Welcome to our first summer call, everyone. It has been a while since we chatted. I'd like to start off the agenda today to call out to the community if anyone who has any community announcements to share with the rest of the community before we get into the meat of the

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

discussion today. Is there any community announcement from anyone?  
Please raise your hand.

MATTHEW RANTANEN: Glenn, I just wanted to let you know that I was on the phone. I did not hear my name called.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, you're on Adigo. Great.

MATTHEW RANTANEN: Yeah, I don't have access to the Internet at the moment, but I am on the call.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much, and I see Loris is on the call as well. Thank you, Matt.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, I just want to congratulate everyone, particularly John and Eduardo, for getting the election. They will be taking their places at the end of ICANN 60.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thanks, Heidi. It is on the – it's Item 5, by the way – the NARALO Elections.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Ah, sorry. I was skimming.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, it's okay. It's okay, and from the staff that's a good idea in terms of community announcements, so thank you so much, Heidi. Anyone else have community announcements? Any activities that you're doing you'd like to share, possibly in the next couple of months that any of us can actually replicate or duplicate?

Okay, so the big announcement came out today in the press release that we sent out is the tenth anniversary of NARALO. That has been sent out, and we've also been Skyping it out. I believe Ariel has been sending it out and tweeting as well. So congratulate everybody. Pat yourself on the shoulders or your back a little bit. That's the big announcement for today. Thank you.

Okay, I want to move away from the community announcements if there isn't anything, and I'll turn to the action items for Silvia please.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Glenn. I will review the action items of the call last month. The first one is Judith Hellerstein to send a request to staff for a Doodle to set a date for the next NARALO Rules of Procedure Review call and the relevant documents be posted in advance for review. Yes, that was completed. Actually, the working group met a couple of times since that month. So that is completed.

---

The next one was for Eduardo to request volunteers to take over the NARALO monthly newsletter, and Glenn McKnight volunteered to do a column for the newsletter. I believe that may still be in progress. Perhaps Eduardo can give us an update on any volunteers who are taking over the monthly newsletter.

Then the next one will be Glenn McKnight to – Oh, yes, go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Finish, and I will say something.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Yes, I'll continue. Glenn McKnight to send a reminder to all members to complete the ALS expertise survey and Glenn will provide an update. He completed that action item.

The next one is Glenn McKnight to send a request for community feedback on the NARALO CROPP plan for FY18. I think that was also completed.

Over to you, Eduardo.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I just wanted to say volunteers for the – hello, can you hear me?

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can. Go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Can you hear me.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Volunteers for the newsletter equal zero. So I guess I need to send a note to the list to see if somebody is interested. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. Okay, I think most of those action item have been carried out between last month and now. We are going to move right along in the schedule today. I just want to verify, John, do you have audio?

JOHN MORE: Yes, I have audio.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Okay. So, folks, we're going to talk about Item 4, the Rules of Procedure.  
Go ahead, John.

JOHN MORE:                        The Rules of Procedure Judith put up so that people can make  
comments. [inaudible] comments. I guess it's really a question of  
addressing some technical issues which I think a certain number of  
[inaudible] as to [inaudible] whatever. There's some concern about  
[inaudible].

MARIO ALEMAN:                    Excuse me, John. We are having a hard time to listen to your [inaudible].

JOHN MORE:                        Okay. Is there feedback? Is it feedback that's causing the problem?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    No. It's too low, John. You'll have to speak up. Did we lose John?

JOHN MORE:                        [inaudible] better?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Okay, John, just speak up a lot.

---

JOHN MORE: Is that any better?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, it's improving. How's that everyone? Is that okay?

JOHN MORE: Is that better?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, it's better for me.

[SILVIA VIVANCO]: Now it's better, yes.

JOHN MORE: Okay. The document is posted. I don't think we've received any comments other than we had extensive comments from Seth and from Alan, and a lot of those were incorporated. But there were a series of questions that were raised, and they really go to not so much the technical but wording and approach.

The three questions that I saw were [inaudible]. Next was, should we have specific authorities given to the Chair, which does seem to me to be appropriate. Glenn can speak to that.

---

Then I think we've now [inaudible] correctly the proper wording for when an ALS can be removed.

Then the only other question I see myself personally is we have one voting representative for [inaudible], and the question should be if the unaffiliated [inaudible] members grow to a large number, would there be any reason to have the capability of adding a vote?

Those are what we've seen so far, so I think I encourage everyone to look at what is there and see if it makes sense, whether it reads, and whether it fits with how you think NARALO should work.

I would add one other thing, and that is I think we have in there that we can amend the rules [inaudible] made by the ALAC because they're in the process of looking at this issue.

That's my statement.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, John. I'm going to open it up to the floor for any specific questions. Anyone have any questions for John? Okay, first question is from Eduardo. Go ahead, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

John, what are the timelines for finalizing this work? Because at one point, we're going to vote, right? I'm not sure what the timelines are. Can you, or maybe Glenn can help us with that.



---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Originally, we were hoping the original timeline was for this meeting, but we're delayed by at least another month. So we'll probably look at the July meeting for the voting. We are not at that stage yet because there have been some delays in terms of the process. I think John is calling out to the community today, please review it and any other changes as much as possible now before we do our voting next month.

We'll turn to Alan, please.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. I just wanted to comment. John mentioned the issue of whether if we ever had a lot of unaffiliated members, should there be more than one voting rep? The voting I'm not sure is really the crucial issue, but the whole concept of how do unaffiliated members participate and if indeed they become really active, how do we address that, I think it's a really important question. I think it's a question that the ALAC itself is going to have to look at on a wider scale.

If you look at the At-Large Review, we are suggesting that we don't like the Empowered Membership model that the Review Team suggested but that we do value unaffiliated members and we think they're going to be a crucial part of how At-Large does business. So I think the general issue is going to have to be resolved. I don't think we're at the stage in NARALO where we have to worry about it today and try to write rules for it, but it is something that's going to require our focus. Thank you.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thanks, Alan. Also, since you're there, Alan, what is the status of the updates on the RALO MoUs? Is that in the scope of this year, or what do we anticipate on that?

ALAN GREENBERG: We haven't discussed that at all. I suspect that's one of the things that will come out of the At-Large Review, that whatever we recommend that we do instead of the Empowered Membership model probably will have to be reflected in the MoUs. We know right now the MoUs are not quite as close to what reality is as what we think. So I would suspect over the next year or so we're going to be looking at that. I don't think there's a specific timeline, but it's probably one of the things that will fall out of the At-Large Review.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: So following up on that, I take it if there are substantial changes in the MoUs, these rules that are being updated now will have some tweaking again?

ALAN GREENBERG: I hate predicting the future when I really don't have a clue how it's going to evolve. My gut feeling is the MoU should be sufficiently generalized that I don't think it's going to be an issue. Certainly for the RALOs that don't have individual members, it probably should mention it, but that's not our case. So I think it's going to be a cleanup. Will there be changes in our rules that will come at that point? Maybe. I don't think it's anything onerous that we have to worry about today. I

---

personally think we shouldn't agonize over changing the rules. I think we're always going to find on a regular basis things that we want to change and we should just do it and not worry about it being so catastrophic and cataclysmic that we have to agonize over it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thanks for that clarification. Any other questions for the team on the Rules of Procedure? Anyone on Adigo, you just have to shout out. Okay, it doesn't look like it. I see Judith is on the line. Do you have voice, Judith. Did you want to say anything on the Rules?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Hi. I don't think so. I think we just want people to comment, as John says, I guess on the Google Doc. I put in the comments that I had from our call. We just had a call with Alan, myself, and John, but we would like to have other people to review it and to give their comments so that we can get their feedback.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Okay, John, back to you. Sorry, John More. John, I don't hear you.

JOHN MORE: Is that any better?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, go ahead. Speak up, John.

---

JOHN MORE: Can you hear me now?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

JOHN MORE: Okay. Yes, I just wanted to second Alan's comments. I think the two, that unaffiliated members have the potential of being important but we don't need to deal with it, per se. I just raised that issue as an issue long-term. And then second that I think as long as what we have put forward works, we should go with it and not worry too much about what will happen because from what I see, the process can be done pretty quickly to make amendments that are necessary. So I just wanted [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thanks, John. Thanks to the entire team – Judith, Alan, and John – for their hard work on the Rules. As I stated earlier, let's get our final comments so we can vote on it for next month, and I think we're pretty well on schedule. Thanks again for everyone's work.

Okay, I'm going to turn to Silvia on Item 5, the NARALO Election that Heidi talked about at the beginning on the community announcements. Silvia, please. Hello, Silvia?

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. Sorry, I was muted. Apologies. I just want to again congratulate the winners. As Heidi mentioned, they will take their seats after the [AGM] the annual dinner meeting in October in Abu Dhabi. We had a very good election turnout, so there is not much comment to say. Just congratulations to Eduardo and John Laprise. And, of course, Glenn will remain, will be Secretariat. So thank you very much, Glenn and everyone.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. The other election was NomCom, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Ah, sorry about that. Yes, of course. Apologies for that. We have also [as the] suggested candidates to the ALAC, we have Leah Symekher as a suggested candidate to the NomCom. Congratulations, everyone. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, everyone, for their hard work and thank you for all those who ran as candidates as well. Thanks again for your hard work.

Okay, I'm going to move on to the next item, which is Outreach and Engagement. If you don't mind popping up the page to the Outreach Strategic Plan. Some people have been giving some comments on the FY18 plan after it has been publicly posted.

So the idea is to assess what we've done. We've done some tracking on what we did in FY17 in terms of what activities we did and what the

---

results were. We want to move forward FY18, making sure that we actually are hitting the targets in terms of what we're setting out to do.

Eduardo, the link is in the chat box. That's linking to – you'll see each and every other RALO strategic plan is posted as well. What we have done is we've listened to the community. Some people have come back saying we've been focused only on the disabled and First Nations in terms of our focus, and we've explained the reason why we've done that, I think, adequately. I think it's still a priority group plus other areas throughout the U.S. and Canada that have been not represented. So we want to have targeted CROPP trips for this year.

What we did last year is we really tried to encourage people who have not done trips before. So this year, we're moving at the first recommendation on the [string] is the two trips for ARIN. Again, continuing what we tried to set [out] with our fantastic co-located ARIN event.

In fact, I got some feedback from a former ICANN Board member and former ARIN CEO Ray Plzak was very pleased that NARALO did the co-located event. In fact, I wasn't aware of this, but he was very keen on us working closer with ARIN. So if you've read the report on the GA, I think there has been absolute interest from ARIN on how we can work together. What we've suggested is Trip One and Trip Two as the two trips that are ARIN. There's one in San Jose in October and the Florida one for ARIN. That's Trip One and Trip Two.

Trip Three is the National Digital Inclusion Alliance conference. Again, staying with our target groups that we stated earlier on.

---

---

Trip Four, again, this was I think one that is going to be one of the highlights in 2018, corresponding to the ICANN Puerto Rico, is the first North American School of Internet Governance. The model that has been created, and Susannah is on the call as well and if Eduardo or Javier want to jump on in on this, but one of the things we want to do for Trip Four is have the people who are shadowing this event to be there as well. Because the following in 2019, we would be looking at the second North American School of Internet Governance with the ISOC San Francisco folks.

Trip Five stated is the RIGHTSCON event. Again, we have to determine who would be the right person to go to that.

So that [inaudible]. Any questions on the plan itself or any other revision? Okay, so everyone happy with the – okay, Marita, go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Do I have the floor?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I saw Marita first, and then she disappeared. Maybe she put her hand down.

MARITA MOLL:

Sorry. I'm here. I don't have a question about the plan, which I think is great. I agree, the opportunity at ARIN was absolutely fantastic, and that's a really optimal way to use the energies of this group to meet each other and to talk about our issues.

---

But on the area of doing outreach, I don't think it meets actual outreach goals. I think the way I see outreach is getting out to people who really could be partners and participants that we're getting to. I've been having some discussions on the list with Judith, and I guess other people are watching, about how we would go about this. I'm working on some plans with a possible partner in British Columbia on the west coast to do a real outreach event that would include people from remote areas and things like that.

But I don't know if ICANN is actually committed to outreach to really talk about funding things like travel and accommodations for short meetings. Where does one go? One can find partners, but somewhere the ball has to start rolling. It's a long discussion, I think. I know it's probably not within the terms of this particular call, but maybe there are enough people interested in exploring this to actually have a special call just on how we might organize to do outreach to reach people who we're really not getting to.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thanks, Marita. I'm going to put it down as an action item for you or anyone else to join the Outreach and Engagement call. If we can make this a major topic, that would be great. Heidi also suggested a purpose call with Chris Mondini and Joe Catapano on this outreach effort. Let's follow up as an action item on that, Marita, and thanks for the suggestion.



---

MARITA MOLL: Thank you. I think that would be great because I have some definite things on the plate about that. So we can talk about that in another session. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Perfect. Thank you so much. Okay, I have Eduardo, then Leah.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah, this is a general question. The word CROPP has to do with – this was a pilot program at one point, wasn't it?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, it was, but I believe it's mainstream now. I'll ask Heidi to verify that. Heidi, it's not a pilot project anymore, correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. The CROPP is now within core. While I have the floor, if I may, Glenn, I just want to point out that some of you may recall that during FY17 which goes until end of June there was a [provisional] budget request that each of the RALOs was allocated around \$2,000 for activities. That would include during your outreach. You might be able to ask for a room. You might be able to ask for catering, promotional items, etc. So I know that AFRALO has just used that for their outreach during the African Internet Summit as well as a little bit for their GA during ICANN 59.

---

---

I am aware that NARALO has not used theirs as far as I know. Also, just to know that next year that funding continues during FY18, but this time it's going to be within At-Large. So rather than sending in the request form to GSE to Chris Mondini, you would be sending that to Silvia and myself. So just something to keep in mind as you plan your outreach for next year. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, thank you, Heidi. It was actually Item 6.3 on our agenda, but great minds think alike. If we can skip Judith's report, 6.2, the Local Discretionary Funds, there's a form. There's a link that has been posted. I was expecting to get two reports on the because we had two applications. One was from Tom. He was looking for, I believe, a poster or a banner – something to do with an event he was doing. The second one was from [Joly]. I don't see either of them on the call today, but just to answer your question, that was two things that were requested. But, Marita, if this could help you, please cut and paste that link. It's a very short form to apply for the funds. Let's jump on it. If we don't use it, we lose it.

It looks like Joe has verified that Tom has used that, but I'd like to know what happened to [Joly]. I know, just contrary, Heidi, I think there have been applications, and Marita looks like she has one to come in as well. Thank you, all.

Okay, we have a queue. Judith, did you want to respond to that first before I go to Leah?

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. [Joly] withdrew his request because he got it funded through some other means. So that's why he withdrew his request. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I hear a lot of noise on Judith's line.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, I'm in a room. I said that [Joly] withdrew his request because he got it funded by another means.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you, Judith. That's great. So, Marita, please jump on that, okay? And if you need any help on that form, let me know. Leah, go ahead.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes, I just wanted to also let everybody know Susannah just added information about an event that's coming up. We've been [listing] our events on the NARALO newsletter. I don't know if people have been reading that.

But specific to this particular topic, we are pushing forward with the Rural [inaudible] Broadband Project. With that, we are also looking to be involved in a hackathon event that is going to be looking at bringing together [quarters] to create applications to help farmers with issues that they may be facing. It's a hackathon competition that's happening

---

this July, and that also is related directly to the event, the project that we've been working on this year.

So I'm not sure if the criteria for qualifying for this budget is also on the form that Glenn and Heidi just mentioned. Are there qualifying criteria for that? For the \$2,000? And if we don't use it now, we can [conserve] for other things as well, but just a quick question and also to update everybody on that hackathon event [and if there are funds we could use for that].

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Leah, I can't respond to that. Perhaps, Heidi, can you respond to Leah's question? I think she might be muted. Okay, so why don't you complete the form and get it off to Heidi and Silvia ASAP. I attended a hackathon at AfriNIC. It was fantastic. I have their criteria, what they did for their hackathon. It was a two-day event. I'm happy to share with you the criteria that they did, and that was sponsored by ISOC, by the way. It was quite successful.

LEAH SYMEKHER:

All right. I will look at the form and [inaudible]. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. Susannah? I saw Susannah.

---

SUSANNAH GRAY:

Hi, everybody. Just to add to what Leah just said, I just put a link to our upcoming [inaudible] event in the chat. That's happening on Monday. We're hoping to livestream it. It's an event called Blaming Technology with acclaimed IP lawyer Andrew Bridges. It should get some good discussion going. We're also going to use that as a jumping off point to persuade people to listen in to the IGF-USA and to try and get people interested in that and also the upcoming ICANN meeting as well.

One other thing, we [inaudible] the next ARIN meeting. ARIN board meets in San Jose. That's on our territory, so for sure I'll be attending. I'm quite sure Leah will be attending and several other members of the board as well. So we will be there doing outreach without any need for any funding.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. Any questions for the activities that Susannah and Leah are doing from anybody? Okay.

If nothing else, I'm going to move on to I mentioned earlier on 6.4, the Press Release. That has been modified and sent out, so please read it and comment. That has been sent onward.

I just want to turn to an item which I thought was on the agenda, and it's to do with strategic plans. I'm just going to flip over very quickly to the slide. Just bear with me for a second.

Alfredo volunteered to step up and start working on the strategic plan. There's going to be harmonization with the CROPP plan, but even more so is what is our plan. So this is a very quick report. He has identified

---

that we need to clarify our mission. We were looking at refining our vision as well. But he is doing a SWOT analysis, typical strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, as you can see.

We're going to flesh this report out so that it's a move forward document. It's four pages in our midterm report, but it will be modifying as time goes on. If anybody is interested in participating with Alfredo on the plan itself, he has a Google Doc that he's working on. So feel free to connect with Alfredo. We will not have the plan done for July, but it's going to be a work in progress. We have never had a strategic plan, so I don't have timelines yet. But I'll talk to Alfredo and invite anyone who wants to participate.

Marita, you have a question? Marita, you must be muted.

MARITA MOLL: Yes, hello. I'm having some technical problems. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, I can.

MARITA MOLL: Sorry, technical problems. That's an old hand. I was really wanting to something a little more about that funding form which we have looked at closely and would cover some of the needs, but it's not going to do enough of the work for reaching people from different areas. There's never going to be probably an ARIN on the road in [inaudible] or someplace in Northern DC. So anyway, that was what that hand was for.

---

Sorry about it. Perhaps some of this stuff should be covered in a NARALO strategic plan, so I would volunteer to help have a look at that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Marita. So, okay, the contact lead is Alfredo Calderon. I'll make sure if you don't have his e-mail, he could not attend this call because it's graduation time at the university. But I'm hoping he'll have some time for us to circle the wagons on this. Thank you again, Marita. Okay, Eduardo has just posted. If you can see the chat box, Marita, we just placed his e-mail in there.

Okay, so what you have on the front panel is NARALO draft annual semi-annual report. That looks like an annual annual. What we have is still a work in progress. There's a number of things that we're trying to report on, including the updates on what achievements we've done, what our attendance record has been like, what reporting we're doing. The highlight for this half of the year has been the fantastic GA.

I'll talk about that in a minute, but I just want to actually talk about the ALS expertise survey. I did talk to Gordon so, Gordon, if you can get that information in. I'm having difficulty getting hold of three others, but right now 83% of the people have completed the survey. We have 34 categories in the ALS expertise and 168 names have been identified with the categories. On the right-hand side on the screen, you'll see the top policy expertise. For the sake of Matt who can't see the screen, what we had as our top policy expertise from the pool of people we have within NARALO: 1) Accessibility, 2) Community Networking, 3) Consumer Protection, 4) Data Protection, 5) Development, 6) E-

---

Commerce, 7) Education, 8) Engagement, 9) Internet Governance, and 10) Social Media. Those were the top ten of those 34 categories that we identified that we have an expertise.

Eduardo, over to you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I just for [inaudible] this policy expertise, we might define what these are because I don't know what Development is and Education, for example, what are we talking about there? That's just for the future, so we might [inaudible] what each of these items mean as far as the expertise because people can have many different ideas with what they are. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Eduardo. Just for the historical background, this was the survey first started out by EURALO. I used the same categories for the ALS expertise survey. I actually am going to go back to the source. [Yjro] and Olivier were the ones that sent this out, but we've had fantastic response. Mind you, this has been a lot of work chasing people since February to complete the form, and I think we have as much as I can do in terms of getting people to do it. Some of those will not do it, I'm sure. But regardless, with 168 self-identified categories – and Eduardo has made a good point. Let's flesh out some of these definitions of the policies.

Okay, thank you. If there are no more questions on that, I'm going to turn to Eduardo. Do you have any updates on NomCom?



---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Just that we have had a couple of calls, and we are fleshing out the final slate that will be invited to Johannesburg for interviewing. We're talking about Board candidates. As well, this includes the [inaudible] and the new PTI board, which we have to select two directors. So we're fleshing out the list to make it shorter. Some people will be invited to Johannesburg for personal interviews. The rest of the candidates for the GNSO, ALAC, and other SOs and ACs are done similarly, but they are not interviewed as we do with the Board candidates. Thank you. That's all.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Eduardo. What is the PTI board?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah, the PTI board is – you know, I forgot. I remember it was the pre-IANA transition and they changed it to something else. I don't remember what it is. Public Interest something. It is a new IANA company. It's doing the IANA function, called PTI.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, I'm not sure what it is either, so if anybody knows what it is, just type it. Alan?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I will look for the final name.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, no other comments on the NomCom? Great. Okay, so let me go to the NARALO General – okay, I’m sorry. Susannah, you have a question?

SUSANNAH GRAY: No, not a question. I’m just telling you that it’s Public Technical Identifiers in the chat.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you so much. We have to sort of do – Eduardo and everybody – we all make that same error sometimes assuming that everybody knows what the short forms are, but it doesn’t always happen.

The next topic is the report. I’d like to thank everyone for their work on the report itself. We came out – let me just see if this will work. I actually converted the report into an e-book so you can read it in any of your readers. I’m just popping the link to the e-book that I converted.

The first part is just getting an overview of what we did at the event and the history, but a very significant part was the work that Judith and Leah did during and after on the Collaborative Notes. That’s an extremely important document, and out of that we generated action items, which I’ll talk about in the next item. It was great that we all got together, but we need to actually take it the one step further in terms of our action items.

---

Feel free to give comments back on the report. If you haven't seen it, the link I gave there a second ago. Any questions or comments on the GA report? I don't see any hands up.

Okay, the next item is going to be the Action Items, so we're moving along. Thanks, Alan. I think we should be done in time because I've already talked about the ALS expertise list on Item 10. I jumped ahead on that. I'm not sure of Judith's audio, but Silvia could you – unless Judith is okay for audio – can you talk about the action items?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, can you hear me. Action items? I don't have the action items for the GA, but maybe Silvia does. But the slide you're showing is the [decertification] letters.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, I have to get to that. Sorry. I'm trying to do three things at the same time.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, Glenn, this is Silvia. I have the action items if you wish. Do you want me to review the action items? [I'll post them there.]

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, go ahead.

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. We have a number of action items. I put there on the chat the table being developed putting more details into the action items that were agreed on in the General Assembly. There is an issue and an action item, so I'm going to read if you're okay the issue and then the action item.

The first one, the issue would be under Working Groups, lack of short and purpose webinars to educate ALS membership. Then the action is to deliver information webinars.

I hear some background noise. Perhaps Mario [inaudible] into that and block the noise. Okay? Thank you.

[MARIO ALEMAN]: Yes. [inaudible] I just [inaudible].

SILVIA VIVANCO: So I can continue?

[MARIO ALEMAN]: Yes, go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, so the first action item under Working Groups is [introduction to] working groups, have more webinars. So my action item was to follow up with Joe Catapano on NARALO focused webinars.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Excuse me. Can someone mute Judith's line because that's where the other noise is coming from. Okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, so the first one was for me to follow up with the GSE with Joe Catapano on whether or not we could have joint webinars and other activities. I did follow up and at the moment we are not doing joint webinars as we are doing these other GSE [things]. However, Joe is going to update you on the upcoming read-out session organized by GSE. So if Joe is – I see him on the line – perhaps Joe could give a quick update on the read-out session that you are coordinating after ICANN 59.

JOE CATAPANO: Sure.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. Go ahead.

JOE CATAPANO: Thanks, Silvia. I sent a note out to the list about an hour and a half or so before the call. Actually looking at the text of the action item, it says that we already do read-out sessions. That's not the case. We want to start doing them, so we're piloting them in collaboration with a couple of the NARALO ALSes. We're going to do some experimenting next month with San Francisco Bay ISOC and the New York area ISOC about doing some post-ICANN 59 read-out sessions.

---

We know it's difficult for people to either attend the meeting or with different time zones to participate remotely. So we're thinking of giving some sort of high-level synopses of the meetings that ALSes can provide to their membership as a member benefit and hopefully get people more interested in ICANN. It's something that we've been thinking about doing for a while and something we want to pilot out and see what kind of reception we get, what kind of discussions we get, how many people we get, that sort of thing to see if it's something worthwhile.

The first one is scheduled for 18 July, 3:00 p.m. Eastern. I apologize. I don't know what that translates to UTC off the top of my head. And then we're working with ISOC New York to try and get a firm date and time down. But those are two things that we're looking to execute against this action item. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sorry, Joe. I think ICANN has cancelled their hubs, right? Is this sort of a replacement of their hubs as an idea, Joe?

JOE CATAPANO:

No. The hubs took place during the ICANN meeting. This would be something that takes place after the ICANN meeting, like a couple two or three weeks after. It would be specifically targeted to the general public, but the ALSes will of course want to attract their audiences.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. So any questions for Joe? You'll be posting the dates and times for these, I take it?

JOE CATAPANO: Yeah, we'll be sure to get you guys the information as soon as it gets firmed up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, great. And it's great that ISOC New York and ISOC San Francisco are involved with it, so this is great. We have the action items on the center panel, as my old midterm report was up there earlier. What Silvia is going through is each of the items, and we're trying to put priorities to them. So back to you, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Glenn. I wonder if I just go ahead and read through the action items and then afterward people can do the updates because we have more than ten action items and we don't have much time left. So if you're okay with that, I can go through reading out each action item.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. So next one is Glenn to connect with Joe on the DIPLO idea on the monthly hub. Then you put an example there on what DIPLO is doing with the Digital Watch.

---

The next one is to promote capacity building webinars better and some practical solutions there underneath, such as announcements of the NARALO monthly calls, announcements on NARALO Skype chat, and announcements on the NARALO newsletter.

The second is under the issue lack of ease to find the list of working groups. Action item for Heidi to work on the list of working groups and how to be involved.

The next point is need a point person, and then there is an action item for mentors for NARALO to assist members to get involved in working groups. Avri and John Laprise volunteered at the NARALO GA to be the contacts [inaudible] for working group.

Then under Policy, we have the issue of lack of understanding of policy issues, and then an action item was to hold a special purpose call on policy-focused hot topics with the people who met in New Orleans to develop the NARALO Hot Topics based on the New Orleans material.

Then under the lack of short explanations of policies and relevance, action item for Glenn to follow up with Eduardo, Marita, and Matthew who volunteered for the newsletter. That is still open.

Under Policy Development, action item for Heidi to suggest onboard ALSes call and Glenn to propose the idea on a special purpose committee.

Then under the lack of extensive policy training course, an action item was based on the expertise survey, Glenn to identify members who can draft policies.



---

Under the issue of lack of knowledge of NARALO human capacity for policy comments, we have three action items. Heidi suggested to look at the courses of ICANN Learn, ICANN Academy, and Leadership program. The DP – ah, this is the document development pilot project – includes primers. And for me to explore with Dan on the possibility to have a training component within this pilot. Then the next action item was for Glenn to identify people and create a profile for each person and feature them as experts on the newsletter.

Under Strategic Plan, the lack of NARALO Strategic Plan was the issue. So the action item was to create a Strategic Plan, and Alfredo is working on it.

Then the need to update NARALO CROPP Strategic Plan. FY18 CROPP Strategic Plan with community feedback was the action item.

Under Outreach, we had to contact Chris Mondini for a Washington University activity for outreach. That was for William Cunningham. Then the need to build capacity for ALSes. There's a list of NARALO hot topics there. The action item was to hold a special purpose call on the policy-focused hot topics with the people who met in New Orleans. I think that is still open, outstanding.

And then the last one will be the need to have more alternative methods to communicate. The suggestion was to have a point of view storytelling. Glenn was to follow up with Monique on the creation of a NARALO GA blog story.

---

That completes a number of action items, and many of them as you can see are still in progress or open or ongoing. Thank you. Over to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. You can see in the chat, Susannah was concerned on where her name was flashed at the bottom. It's a conversation her and I have had. She has done extensive writing with AfriNIC. Great stuff she has done with their work as well, and actually this is good to follow up on, Susannah. If you can get that story to us, then it would be great to get it out into the marketplace, particularly newsletter. But a first-person story on the success of the GA and your participation would be fantastic. Okay, as an action item there, Silvia, you'll see she has already posted that she'll have the story for us for next week.

Okay, folks, I know we're running out of time, and I appreciate everyone staying until the top of the hour. These are really great action items. Thanks for staff working with us to flesh out these action items. We have a lot to do. It was great for us to get together, but we have identified where the issues are and as a RALO we need to really start getting our game in order in terms of our policy statement. So we hope that this will help us move toward getting any policy statements to ICANN in the next months and years to come.

So I'd like to turn to Alan. Are there any current policy public consultations that we should be considering right now? What's hot that we should be talking about?

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yes, indeed. There are three of them that are currently open. One of them is on the draft Framework of Interpretation for Human Rights. As you may recall, the Work Stream 1 of the CCWG Accountability said that we must put in there – there is now a provision in the Bylaws that makes reference to human rights and this is the first part of the process to define exactly what that means. So there's a draft statement. It will be going to a vote very soon. Actually, I think the comments may have closed already. But it is posted on our policy wiki, if staff can put the URL pointing there. That one is moderately important because in theory most of what ICANN does, does not have strong implications on human rights, but there are some people who feel that it's a major issue.

The second one is public comment that will be open through July and is somewhat interesting. The current requirements are that registrars must make available certain WHOIS information, particularly pertaining to the names and addresses and contact information for registrants. That is whether they're individuals or companies. There is legislation in Europe and new legislation coming which puts very tight controls on European registrars, but there are similar ones in other jurisdictions that effectively say that if they do what ICANN is asking them, they're violating national law.

That clearly is a problem, but there's a large controversy on how to fix the problem. The participants in drafting this statement have largely come from Europe and they're, quite reasonably, looking at it from a European perspective. I think we need input from other regions to make sure that what we're saying does represent all of At-Large and not just one particular region.

---

There are implications on this that are outside of privacy. For instance, we know that law enforcement and the people who try to control spam and phishing use this information extensively. The question is, what is the impact if we change the policies as to what ICANN is requiring registrars to do? So there are some pretty significant implications that will affect all users, and certainly all users in all regions, and we welcome participation.

The last comment that we haven't started working on yet is the ccNSO – the Country Code Names Supporting Organization – is starting a new policy development process on how to retire country codes. There are various country codes that for one reason or another are no longer applicable. The entity that they represent no longer exists for one reason or another. There has been no real policy on how to get rid of them. What do you do with domains registered in those areas.

That's a process that's just starting. Currently, there is an issue report which describes the problem that will form the basis for the PDP, and that issue report is out for public comment right now. So anyone who has any interest in that area might want to look at it. I suspect the issue report is done pretty well, and there's probably no comment needed at this stage. But we will be looking for people to participate in the process going forward. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thanks, Alan. We're getting almost done. I know Alan has to run, but Susannah and then John. Go ahead, Susannah.

- 
- SUSANNAH GRAY: Hi. This is a question relating to the RALO request for outreach report. I was just having a look at it, and there's a note at the bottom that says it's not to include travel, lodging, creation of content, graphic design, printing of materials, and paid social media campaigns, for which other support programs exist. I'm a bit confused because somebody mentioned that somebody had printed a banner using this budget. Also, what are the other support programs for the things that are mentioned?
- GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, what Tom had is the discretionary fund. There's a small amount of money outside of CROPP that's available for application. I believe we put the link in the chat box on each of the RALOs so that they can apply. There's a limited amount of funds.
- SUSANNAH GRAY: Yeah, that's exactly what I was reading from, and it says it's not to include travel, lodging, content creation, graphic design, printing of materials. So either I'm confused or....
- GLENN MCKNIGHT: I agree. Oh, it looks like Heidi has responded to that. It looks like the banner was paid from another budget. Go ahead, Heidi.
-

---

HEIDI ULLRICH:

My understanding was that particular banner was paid for by the North American budget, not the FY17 and also FY18 additional budget request that I mentioned.

Okay, so again, while the CROPP pays for travel, this fund will pay for things if you have an event, let's say a read-out session or some sort of activity at your ALS, it might pay for catering. It might pay for a room if you're going to hold a session. So things like that.

Now keep in mind that if you want publishing, there is a fund within the additional budget request that grants a budget across the SOs and ACs for promotional items and brochures, etc. So that goes through the Communications Department.

Again, the key here is to just let us know in advance – significantly in advance so we can work with the communities department to make sure that is in their radar. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay.

SUSANNAH GRAY:

Okay, thanks. So who would we contact if we wanted to make use of content creation or graphic design or printing?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I think the first step would be contact us if you wanted some sort of graphic design. Now this would be something for At-Large. I don't think

---

it would be for your particular ALS. It would be for something you wanted to do for At-Large. The first step would be to contact Silvia and myself, and then we would contact our Communications Department.

SUSANNAH GRAY: Okay. All right. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can take this offline. Okay, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, if you don't mind. John, please go ahead.

JOHN LAPRISE: Thank you. I want to just harp on one of Alan's points. The first issue that's up for review right now on human rights, I've been working on this. This is a really contentious issue. It's really important that we in At-Large make our voices heard on this. There's a lot of discussion within the working group about what is and what is [consensus] and regarding a number of issues, especially for actors that are less interested in ICANN having some sort of human rights protections embedded within the process or what that means. It merits reading the statements, but I just want to encourage everyone to please read and comment. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thanks, John. Okay, last comment to Eduardo. Go ahead.

---

---

EDUARDO DIAZ: Just a quick question about the budget. We were discussing before about this \$2,000. Can you apply for that for an event that is going to happen later in the year? Does it have to happen before June 30?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, Eduardo. I will say give us a little bit of time to update the current application. Or what you could do if it's after July 1, then you can already go ahead and just use that one until we update it and then just send it to Silvia and myself.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay? All right. Thank you. Okay, folks, we ran out of time. Tight schedule today, but thank you all for joining us today. Thanks again, and we'll see you next month. Some of us are going to be off to Johannesburg, so we'll be looking forward to giving reports on how things go there. Thanks again, everybody. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]