

YESIM NAZLAR:

I think it's muted now. So, I'll go ahead with the roll call. Please start the recording.

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Technology Taskforce call taking place on Monday, 8<sup>th</sup> of May, 2017 at 15:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Gordon Chillcott, Judith Hellerstein, Dustin Philips, Glenn McKnight, and Satish Babu.

Currently, we don't have anyone on the Spanish channel.

We have received apologies from Alfredo Calderon.

Our Spanish interpreters today are Claudia and Marina.

Our staff, Ariel Liang, Mario Aleman, Evin Erdogan, Laura Bengford, Alex Hutson, Corinna Ace and myself, Yesim Nazlar.

Finally, I would like to remind everyone to state their names before speaking, not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpretation purposes as well.

And I also would like to add that Heidi Ullrich from Staff has joined us on the call as well, so welcome, Heidi. And now, I would like to leave the floor to our Chair, Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Over to you, Dev. Thank you very much.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much, Yesim. Welcome everyone to this call. On this call today, we'll be looking at the [view] of the At-Large technologies issues page, and I want to give an update on the LACRALO mailing list issues, and talk about a new technology issues, which is the Adobe Connect issues of recent.

We'll then have a discussion on an update on two of our FY18 Special Request Budget proposals that were accepted. One was the policy tracking proposal and the captioning proposal. And next, what we want to have a discussion is on developing a report on conferencing solutions.

Also, next on the agenda would be a discussion on how we move forward on group chat, and this is especially in light of the At-Large review's recent recommendation regarding the use of group chat.

And also on the agenda, a look at how we update and restructure the TTF main page, and Any Other Business with a discussion on how to do some outreach to other constituencies if we are able to get to that in time.

Anybody wishes to add anything to the agenda? Seeing no hands or nothing in the chat.

Okay, I was coming to the action items, but I honestly think just by glancing through them, a lot of the action items are going to be covered in today's agenda. So, I would like to simply just to see if we could see the action items, so now I'll just go immediately into the technology issues page, simply because a lot of the things we're going to be discussing today are going to be updating some of those action items and/or removing them.

---

Okay, any objections to that? Okay, seeing none, let's move ahead to our technology issues page. And the technology issues page – and thanks to staff for putting it up there – the technology issues page is to track possible technology issues noted by the At-Large community and the technology taskforce for raising with ICANN staff.

And we have an update on two – well, one key issue and that's the LACRALO mailing list issues. I had a conference call with the ICANN's IT persons, Mark and Corinna, and one of the things we discussed was to scale up the testing of the mailing list tool.

One of the things that we are looking to do is to redirect the existing LACRALO e-mails from the LACRALO EN to the new transbot e-mail list so as to try to get some of the more – how should I put it – real world uses of how people in LACRALO are using the mailing list today, and therefore see whether we're able to handle the translations or not.

And the way it would work is that the e-mails will be directed to the transbot mailing list, but any replies on the transbot mailing list would not go back to the existing LACRALO mailing list.

I've circulated this to the persons testing this on the transbot mailing list, and nobody really had any objections and they're prepared for it. The downside is of course is that those persons would get two sets of e-mails, but I'm sure [we'll] set up an e-mail so as to properly be able to sort out which e-mail is coming from which list.

So, Corinna, Mark, I think I gave the go ahead on Friday on this. And is there any ETA on how [soon], when this will be turned on?

---

CORINNA ACE: Yes, hi. Thanks, Dev. I think you pretty much covered it, and since you proposed to the group this solution and gave it about a week, we informed our IT Ops Team. It's fairly simple to set up, and also to remove if we need to. So, the latest update is that our team should have this setup of the new e-mail forwarding complete and tested by later today. They're just at this point doing their due diligence to make sure it's set up correctly since it's the first time we're doing this, but we should have an update for you by this afternoon, and have the forwarding in place [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that. Any comments or questions from the group on this? Okay. Seeing nobody's raising any questions, I think this will be a good step forward, because I think the goal is to try to more rapidly test this, iron out the bugs, and hopefully see if we can get this new transbot to be deemed ready for actual replacement of the existing LACRALO list.

I see a question from – just to answer Heidi's question for the record, "Has LACRALO been informed of these changes?" Not the whole LACRALO list, but those LACRALO persons on the new transbot testing tool, so Humberto Carasco, Harold Arcos, [inaudible] who are on those list have been made aware and they have responded that they are ready to do this testing.

So, okay. Alright. Go ahead, Judith.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi's question is, has the leadership, Humberto and the others, have they informed the rest of LACRALO? Have they sent out an e-mail to the rest of LACRALO that this is happening?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for this, Heidi. Well, I would say specifically no because the change right now isn't going to impact the existing list in any way. What's going to happen is that the e-mails that are going on the LACRALO list are just being redirected to the new transbot list to see how it handles the translation, so that persons on both lists can see how the translation is being handled on the new tool, and the existing LACRALO mailing list isn't going to be impacted in any way. You're not going to see any strange changes. No change is needed on the LACRALO EN mailing list, or the LACRALO ES mailing list. So, there is no real change at this point. I will bring it up on the LACRALO monthly call that the test is ongoing, which is going to be next week, Monday.

Okay, alright, we can make that an action item, so just to send an e-mail to the [Friday TTF] and LACRALO leadership. So, we can certainly add that as an action item.

Okay, so the second thing was – just to answer the question quickly – perhaps, but we have made calls for persons to help with testing of the LACRALO mailing list before. But it certainly can't hurt to do it again, so certainly, perhaps when we inform the LACRALO list, perhaps more persons will be interested.

Okay, let's just go ahead with moving on to the next technology issues. One of the things was looking at how do we export Adobe Connect

---

recordings from Flash to formats like mp4, and at the Copenhagen meeting actually one of the suggestions we have made was that At-Large staff could remote control a machine dedicated at an ICANN office somewhere that has the sufficient bandwidth to do the download and exports of Adobe Connect recordings to mp4. And that would alleviate the At-Large staff's need to have their computers tied up to do the download and exports and not being able to do their other work effectively.

Can anyone from staff give some sort of update? Has this been considered? Any progress made on this? Mark or Corinna, if you are speaking then I'm not hearing you.

CORINNA ACE: Yes, hi –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Corinna, go ahead.

CORINNA ACE: Hi. I can't actually speak to this. I know Mark had a conflict this morning. I'm not sure if Alex was able to make it on or if he has an update [inaudible] may be retained and circle back to [inaudible] an update. I don't have any on this one. I'm sorry about that.

---

ALEX HUDSON: No. I did speak with Mark earlier this morning, and he did not give me an update in regards to this particular item, so I don't have an update either.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright, well, we can circle back [on this] later this week via e-mail. Let me just jump ahead to the next technology issue, and it's a technology [thought] I added in discussion with Judith, and those were some of the challenges we've had with Adobe Connect. And I think there have been a lot of At-Large conference calls this week that have had significant connectivity challenges, and I don't know if any At-Large persons could speak to this, but we had situations where a lot of the conference calls these past few weeks post-Copenhagen situations were persons were unable to use the Adobe Connect audio to connect to the conference call.

We had persons on the Adigo bridge who are unable to hear persons on the Adobe Connect, and sometimes vice versa. Sometimes the Adobe Connect bridge couldn't hear the persons on the Adigo bridge, and persons have to exit Adobe Connect and reload Adobe Connect.

I just sort of wanted to add this in here because I thought that, one, I noticed this happened to a lot of the At-Large calls, and I was wondering, well, if I just had the same experience on this, and if we wanted to briefly just indicate whether this was also happening to them.

I'm seeing Justine and Judith typing. Okay. And Judith has also been mentioning that it's been happening on the NCUC calls, and Justine is

---

typing. While Justine is typing, I just want to know, has staff taken note of this, and has any particular reason or understanding of why this issue is happening?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. So, yes, staff have very much noticed that, and the AC/SO support staff have written to IT, and IT is working on it. So, as soon as we know the details, we will go ahead and get back to you on that. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Thanks. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. What I also remember when we had Josh on the call, he was saying that they had problems with the vendor and with interconnections, and that they had been working with the vendor, but we were asking him whether they had problems with certain quality issues and they have not adhered to them. And I was interested in finding out from Alex or Corinna what efforts have been made to pressure the vendor to make sure that they adhered to the contract.



---

CORINNA ACE: Hi. Again, I wish I could give you more of a detailed update on this, but I think we would need Josh and/or Mark on the call to speak specifically to that contract and our relationship with the vendor, something I'll make note of and bring up with Mark, and maybe we can have a separate conversation with Josh as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Judith. Sorry, Corinna.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Dev, Ariel had problems a while ago, and maybe we can ask Ariel. And she's still having problems. She had problems with sharing screens and loading stuff on to the pod, and she had to keep reloading. And I don't know whether she's still having those problems or whether they got resolved.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, if Ariel is on – I see she is – same problem, no update from IT on this issue, on those issues. Okay. Well, hopefully – I think perhaps you could just send an e-mail, and perhaps as an update, perhaps it could be shared with the TTF as to the Adobe Connect issues. Because I think I know – I've heard informally from a lot of people in the At-Large

---

community that this was really a frustrating problem, trying to get on calls, not able to get through, and getting very bad audio connection. So, hopefully we will get a response to this issue on the Adobe Connect connectivity challenges soon. Okay.

Alright, so seeing no other comments, let's move ahead to the next agenda item, and that's an update on the FY '18 budget request, and the ICANN Board has reviewed the budget requests from the various ACs and SOs and have given their approval. And both proposals were approved: the FY '18 and I'm hoping... the FY '18 thing is unsynced, because it's quite small.

So, two proposals that were approved were the FY '18 policy tracking proposal, and that one deals with how – and I'll just bring this up on the – well, hopefully the FY '18 budget thing is going to come in on the screen. Thanks very much.

So, just to give a brief overview of what this was trying to do, the At-Large website has a policy page where we list all the correspondence that has been issued by the ALAC, and it's grouped by various topic keywords about the policy statements and correspondence issued by the ALAC since 2003.

The problem was that the Board responses to this – and therefore the impact of all of the statements whether the Board accepted it, rejected it, ignored it. So, what was the impact? We found out that – and as a person who's been involved in ICANN At-Large, the Board apparently has a tracking feature which is done separately on a separate page

---

that's updated by staff in a separate system where it's in a spreadsheet and made available as a PDF.

So, what our proposal was to do was to have ICANN allocate resources and build a system that will incorporate the policy advice and what was the outcomes of that policy advice, and also to have the policy correspondence page be able to be searched by the actual words in the PDF. Right now, it currently cannot do that.

So, this proposal was approved, and I believe – well, Laura [inaudible] mentioned that this was being looked at and there were some ideas of how the Technology Taskforce and ICANN IT could look to try to make this proposal a reality.

So, I'd just like to probably turn the floor to Laura just to give some direction as to where this proposal could be implemented.

LAURA BENGFORD: Yes. Thank you, Dev. Can you hear me okay?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: We can hear you very well. Thank you. Go ahead.

LAURA BENGFORD: Excellent. Congratulations on getting your budget requests approved. And I am happy to be on the call today. I would actually recommend that we just spend a few minutes thinking about and getting feedback from you on how we want to kind of work together going forward.

---

This is kind of a mini project. It's obviously not as big as the At-Large website revamp, but I think we can maybe use some of the methods that we had to work together. I would anticipate that we probably want to work together on setting up some kind of meeting cadence, just to make sure that we're in touch with what the requirements are for At-Large, and also providing regular updates.

As you know, what works really well for us is to have regular kind of check-ins and progress updates, and show how these features are moving along, because that really helps us in making sure that we hit the mark with what you guys are looking for.

So, I'd like to kind of talk about that. I would estimate that we might need a few checkpoint meetings over the next several months. We are – as we talked about in the last meeting – the Global Domains Division and the Board have been working on a database to track all of the advice statements coming in.

They are planned to complete that by June, which means we should be ready to start picking up a project, to start linking that database to the At-Large database on the policy summary. And so from a timing perspective, that's kind of where we're at. It is one of our next upcoming priorities, is to start working on not only linking it to ICANN.org in a better way than the PDF and Excel spreadsheets that are existing on that page, but also linking it to At-Large and GAC which are both already set up to receive those.

---

Maybe I'll pause there and hand it back to you, Dev and Olivier if you're on the call, to just think about how we want to work together over the next several months.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Laura. Before I respond, any thoughts or feedback from the group on this? Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. I think the first step will be to put together a wiki page for our project design and start – do a homepage for this, and then we can start putting ideas on there on how we want to proceed with working together.

But certainly, by e-mail and tracking our progress through the wiki is the first steps that I would suppose would be the way to move things forward. I'm not 100% sure yet as to what we wish to have out of this, because we have to design it. So, I guess we probably will need to put our heads together and get ourselves organized to kick a few ideas around on how to implement this.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. I think I agree. I think a webpage, wiki page would be a good first step. And perhaps we probably do need to have special purpose calls focused on this one. This is ready to be – as I say, [inaudible]

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I wonder if we can get a few other technologists on this. I know there are a few in At-Large, and I'm sure they'd be interested in a project like this.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I would certainly probably issue a call, and we can issue the call throughout At-Large in this to see who would be willing to be involved in this sort of project. So, I think perhaps once the wiki page has been set up, and I guess Laura and team are ready to begin looking at the design of this and so forth, I think then we can also then issue a call just pointing them to the page and indicating what's the general idea and asking for person so or so wish to be involved, I think would be the way forward.

Let me see, what was the question here? Okay. I'm seeing a comment from Justine that I was just about to ask who might SMEs for this project. I'm not quite sure what SMEs means, Justine. [Why don't you] just clarify that. Alright, and a question from Glenn.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Either small and medium enterprises or subject matter experts.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, subject matter experts. Thank you. You're right. I wasn't too sure what the acronym was for a second there.

Question from Glenn. "Laura, would you have a chance to demo the project in Johannesburg?" Okay, so Laura, you think that is something

---

that could be shown in Johannesburg, and so [far] we can start actually having these – once having wiki page set up, and perhaps a conference call before Johannesburg then? [inaudible]

LAURA BENGFORD:

Yes, hi. What I would recommend that we – just to be clear, demonstrate kind of the Board database as they have completed it, and how that will be presented on the webpage. And then also, I think we might be at a point where we can start sharing some very early kind of mockups or wireframes on what a page might look like.

And so I think both of those things would be very good targets for Johannesburg.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Alright. Okay, so I think perhaps we have to [inaudible] as I say, Glenn is asking a question: “How about a TTF meeting in Johannesburg to really cover this type of information?” Olivier, you have a question on this? I just want to get – you said, “Why a conference call for Johannesburg?” Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes. I hear someone saying conference call for Johannesburg. I was like, “Why conference call? We’ll meet in Johannesburg.”

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I get you. Understood. Alright, so let's have the wiki page set up for this project tracking, and Laura, if you want to show something before the Johannesburg session, that'll be welcome. We can have a special purpose call for it if we need to. But if not, you can just have it at the TTF session.

And unfortunately, we've got a line noise here. I guess one of the Adobe Connect challenges. Alright, go ahead. Okay, it seems to be... Oh? Okay, I see we're having fun here. I think it's stopped now, though. Is anyone hearing it now? Okay. Thanks for this.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Dev, are you speaking?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Sorry, I was mute. Let me just start this over again. So, since the noise has disappeared, let's move on to our next update, which is the captioning proposal. Judith, can you take the floor?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sure. So, the other proposal that we had put through the Technology Taskforce which was accepted as an ALAC-wide proposal was the one on captioning. As you know, we have done two successful pilots of captioning where we tested out English, French and Spanish captioning. And these were all very successful, and then we put in a third proposal to do more of these and to expand the captioning, and it has been accepted as CORE but what we don't know – and maybe we can look to Heidi to explain, is how many sessions we will have.



---

One is how many sessions we will have both in English and in Spanish and French, and two, whether we need to do a survey of people in determining on how they like these transcripts as opposed to the verbatim transcripts and whether – what's the idea, whether we should – I guess the total idea is, can we get rid of some of the verbatim transcripts and use that money just to have captioning for everything? And so I'll let Heidi go and answer the questions.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, everyone. Can you hear me? Dev?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, Heidi, we can.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, basically, Rob's team is leading this [inaudible] because it's now in CORE. So, what I would suggest is that – Judith, we had a small Captioning Working Group for the pilot, so I would suggest that that group get together with At-Large staff and Rob and just talk about how we're going to move this forward now that it's in CORE.

And after that, we might do a wiki page and just see how this is going to go. Because again, this is going to go across ACs and SOs this time, it's not just At-Large calls this time. So, it might be that this group, this small

---

group be expanded. All options are open right now, because it is in CORE. So, it's early days still, and this is something that maybe we can talk face to face in Johannesburg, because it is only going to begin on the 1<sup>st</sup> of July. That's all for right now. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks, Heidi.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, again. Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, so what we think we'll do is we'll put a call out to the TTF and then also to the captioning group originally set up when we were doing the first pilot who we really didn't use since then, and see about reconvening a group to discuss this and also having a wider call to a different SO and AC to get your name onto this group so we can have a group with Rob. And yes, Olivier, this is Judith Hellerstein. I thought I'd said my name. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright, so let's indeed capture that as an action item to have that call for additional members for the captioning pilot, and I guess when that call is ready to happen with staff to discuss the captioning.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Sorry, to interrupt.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm just wondering if we could first have just a call with Rob and the existing team before any kind of call is made, just so we're all on the right track and we're all in agreement with how this is going to proceed. If that's okay.

Again, I don't know who's going to own this. If this is going to be a community-driven project for identification of the calls that will have captioning, if it's going to go into something that staff does, so I'd first like to see what the thoughts are from Rob who's leading this, and then also from Judith's group, if that's okay.

So, a two-step process: first a smaller group with Rob just to clarify what the plans are, and then the call for a wider participation inside this group, if that's the way that is going to go forward. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I'm thinking that's okay then. So perhaps we'll have the action item then to set up that call with the informal captioning group to meet with Rob and staff to discuss things, and then you could the move forward from that. Okay, and organize a doodle, etc.

Okay. I think we've covered the updates on the two budget proposals. And I think it's again – it's a very good thing that all proposals have been accepted. The previous day, we submitted a budget proposal to get the

---

LACRALO mailing list issues fixed or looked at, and that has happened, so it's good that our proposals are being recognized as good enough that it needs to be supported.

Okay. So, let's move on to our next agenda item, because we do have a hard stop at the top of the hour. And that is a [development] report on the conferencing solution.

We have been looking at conferencing solutions for some time now, and I really would want to get to have the conferencing solutions report generated that tries to put together what we have looked at in terms of the core features that we have looked at in a conferencing solution, and some recommendation.

Now, one of the things that we have noted was that – I should perhaps say that what we have discovered is that some of these conferencing solutions could be very good recommendations for At-Large themselves, for their internal – as for use as an ALS themselves to be able to do their activities and their work.

And potentially – and again, I'm just throwing it as a suggestion – we can also have a possible second report on Adobe Connect and looking at the challenges and so forth. But I do think that we do need to have [inaudible] put together a report, especially given that ICANN itself is looking for ideas, are looking for solutions to the Adobe Connect. And I think some work that could happen that could make this report a reality, taking the work that we have already done, looking at it and improving on it, and what myself and Judith are looking or is somebody

---

to help lead this, because we are – at least I am – quite constrained on time to work on these things. Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. So, what Dev is saying, we had looked before at a whole bunch of conferencing solutions in the past several years ago, but perhaps many of these have since improved, and so we would love to have someone's help to review these and see which ones are improving on it. I know Joly MacFie has been working with Zoom and been pushing them to improve.

But what we also would like is someone who'll help with this and draw up a list of – in the web conferencing tools, we have a list of priorities of what we need a web conferencing software to do, and also – so we could help first now here draw up a list of these priorities and see, "Okay, what software does this?" Because this will be how ICANN has told us – Josh has told us that this type of thing will be very helpful to them, and Mark has told us because as they are looking maybe to get out of Adobe, what they would want is a listing of all priorities that would need to be in a web conferencing solution or that could be added on later, and then that way when they do actually look, they will have this list to refer to. And so that's I think also why we'd want some other people on the team, is to help with all this process.

Dev, is that clear to everyone? Or if anyone has any questions, let Dev and I know.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Also, just on the link – and I’ve put the link in the chat, because I did the proposed Google slides [inaudible] and I suggested a possible structure for this report, just to mention what it is again. [inaudible] So, what this will be [inaudible] conferencing solutions is the key desired features for a conferencing solution, looking at Adobe Connect, alternatives to Adobe Connect, and then a section on free, low-cost conferencing solutions for At-Large community. And then asking for feedback and suggestions from the community when this report is presented.

So, is anybody wishing to take the lead on this? I'm not saying I would not be able to help work on it, but it's just that I need somebody else to – somebody else really needs to help, take the lead on this in trying to organize calls and discussions and share the discussions on this report.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Is anyone wishing to volunteer?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, does anyone wish to volunteer, help out? If anyone wishes to help out both Dev and I on this – because we could use some extra bodies – that'll be great. Glenn, is that you are volunteering for it? Or someone else, let us know because we could use someone to really help take the ball by the hand. Justine. Great. Justine has volunteered.

---

So we don't take time on the call, e-mail us and let us know who wants to volunteer, and then we'll create a subgroup.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, great. Let's do that. And thanks, Justine, for volunteering. I think [inaudible] is on the call and asked the question – well, just to answer the second part of the question, "Is this detail work valued?" I think it would be good to actually put together this report, because it leverages the work that we already did, so it doesn't get lost and I think there are significant challenges for At-Large community members who are looking to find conferencing solutions that can help them. So, I would say that first part. I don't know if anybody from staff wishes to answer the first part of this question. By all means, they can raise their hand.

And Satish is also volunteering to help, so Justine and Satish, thanks for this. We can work with you and with Mario from staff to help coordinate some time to chat about this and work together on the report, and give you editing rights to the slides and so on.

Okay, seeing no further comments or questions or observations on this, then let's move on to the next agenda item, which is moving forward on the group chat.

So, on the Copenhagen meeting, and in some of the testing I reported on before, I suggested a certain approach for how we could treat group chat. And I just put together the slides, and of course, I would just jump straight to the actual slide which is in Slide... let me jump to it quickly, from page 28.

---

And in that, we pointed out how At-Large – well, an illustration of the amount of challenges of how many different [inaudible] they are. And seemingly more we discover every day. And I suggested how At-Large should use group chat, since we're using Skype for chat instant messaging.

And group chat has some core features and has certain benefits over Skype, and we have done some work on this for quite some time now. We used Slack at ICANN50 for the At-Large Summit, and we have looked at two other group chat solutions, and within the past year we have looked at Rocket.Chat that the NCUC was looking at at one point, and we also looked at Mattermost earlier this year.

So, one of the things I was suggesting was that perhaps we should look at using the [inaudible] Slack solution, and the reasons why – very unlikely that ICANN would offer support or server resources or tech support in the short term to help deploy a self-hosted solution for the At-Large community, and for volunteers to take up that path to [host] the solution, I think that without using their resources, without payment and support, it's too much.

And I pointed out certain things that the existing free Slack version has. We can install several integrations like Twitter notifications, Google Calendar notifications, it has a Translate tool. So, we can include those integrations in the free [tier] version, and I've also created a public-facing website at [slackarchive.io](http://slackarchive.io) so that our chats can be linked from a wiki page or At-Large website. And the chat could then also be exported from Slack as a backup on a regular basis.



---

So, I just wanted to get some feedback as to what people think about this, and the reason why is because especially at the At-Large review specifically calls out that the At-Large community should look at group chat solutions like Slack to at least e-mail, wiki, Skype chat replacement.

I'm paraphrasing the exact At-Large review, but... So, I wanted to get some feedback. Is this feasible, or do we need to look at – just investigate more? I just want to raise this with the community and see if anyone has any comments. Seeing Justine typing and Judith typing.

Okay, in terms of user numbers, they can submit – I believe the free [tier] of Slack version can support unlimited users. The only caveat is that you're going to need to search for a restricted range, however, with the public Slack archives, with that website tool, we could probably be able to search a far longer history.

No, it's not limited to 100 users as far as I understand it. Now, having said that, I don't know whether we want to still investigate the possible group chat solution. I've noted a slide, the very first slide with all of those circles. There are lots of chat solutions out there, and I don't know if persons want to look at possible other group chat solutions or make a recommendation to the ALAC, whether we should take this approach. Judith,

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. I like this approach. I thought it was good, but also maybe Alex and Corinna can check in with Mark, and he was talking about possibly some type of chat – ICANN would adopt some type of chat solution where they could also integrate – have it on a separate stream, just like we

---

have captioning in a pod, but it really exists on the stream text. The idea that chat would exist on some kind of other pod, and that can be inserted into different web conferencing tools, linked in so that the chat from one [session], from TTF, could continue on in some other place, and you could have one continual one. And I don't know whether he was just thinking off the bat when we were talking in Copenhagen or whether ICANN is really looking for something like that. And maybe Alex or Corinna can talk to him about that.

ALEX HTUSON:

Yes, I'll make note, and I will speak with Mark about that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Alright. Any thoughts or comments on this? I am thinking – and I don't know how the At-Large review is going to be handled, but I'll be thinking that the At-Large Review Party would be asking the TTF as to whether this recommendation could be implemented or not, given that this has been under the TTF's crosshairs for some time now.

So, we do need to be ready to give the At-Large and the ALAC and the At-Large Review Party and its response as to whether this could be – the At-Large review recommendations could be implemented. So, we do have some time, but we are kind of running out of time on this. So, again – alright, any other thoughts, comments? Going once.

Alright, well, I'll solicit some more feedback again on the mailing list on this. Okay. Since we do have a hard stop, let's move on to our next

---

agenda item, and that's the updating, restructuring the TTF main wiki page.

So, as all working groups – including the TTF – does have a wiki page, and I would say that one of the challenges for the wiki is how to organize this information. And I was just wanting to add someone to, well, is somebody willing to help take the lead to work with ourselves, Judith, me and Mario to help restructure how they think a wiki page should be structured in terms of the working groups?

I think one of the big challenges, especially when we're looking at engagement issues, is how do we get At-Large community members up to speed as to what exactly is happening in a working group in terms of what's happening or getting feedback as to what the working group is working on and so forth.

The information could be perhaps structured or presented in a better way. So, I just want to get some feedback, ask the community if there's anybody wishing to help with this reorganization or restructuring of the TTF main page. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. Also, we've tried to restructure and we've rewritten the About section, but one idea could be that this section on recommendations, we could take that out and move it to another pod and put little stories and saying, "What we have done," saying, "The TTF has worked on the Adobe Connect, the TTF has worked on..." and some of our successes on the LACRALO mailing list. And maybe put a bunch of links to some of the stuff that we've done, and just put this information about the

---

recommendations, this kind of drive [inaudible] important into something like background history. So, those are some ideas, but we welcome to have yours and other ideas on the call.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Anybody wants to help take the reins of this, this reorganization or restructuring of the TTF main page? Going once, twice. Okay. Well, I think – what happened with Mario? I think we’re just going to have to try to work on this as best as we can on our own. But I’ll tell you what, we will post this to the mailing this and see if somebody who is not on this call but on the TTF would be willing to help work with this.

Okay. Alright, so you can note that. Mario, go ahead.

MARIO ALEMAN: Yes, hello. I’d just like ask if you would like to change the layout a little bit of the home page, because it is set right now in different paragraphs. We can do it in different columns or sort of different things. I don't know what do you think? Or some of the users [may] have ideas.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Well, I think this is what we’ll probably have to discuss and figure out. So, I think what we need to do is just have a small conference call with you and I and with other interested persons, and see how we can do this. And maybe what we can do is make a copy of this main page, put it elsewhere, and we can make the modifications and then present it to the group to see whether the community likes this.

---

Okay, and I see Justine has volunteered for this. So, thanks, Justin. So perhaps ourselves and Justine and you, Mario, we can have a separate call over Skype to just talk it up.

Alright, so we do have like two minutes left and we have a hard stop, so quickly, I know Glenn has done a one-pager of the Lucidpress [inaudible] Copenhagen and I think Glenn's question is speaking to whether persons are willing to help, if we want to do one for Johannesburg. Does anybody have any quick comments or questions? Well, it was not a one-page newsletter, but the mag, which is now a magazine. I'm sorry. It started as a one-page newsletter, but now it's tuned into a multi-page magazine of sorts. So, the question is, do we want to do one for Johannesburg? Any quick comments on this? Yes? No? Going once, going twice.

Alright, well, not seeing anybody objecting, so Glenn, could you please post this in e-mail to the TTF list just so that people can see the link of [what was done] for Copenhagen? And we could get some feedback as to what we wanted for Johannesburg.

Alright. Judith, do you want to tackle the outreach of the constituencies, or do you want to just [hold that] for our next TTF call?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. Many of us have to go to the Leadership call, so we are going to basically I guess move that to our next call, because many of us have to jump on that other call.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sure. I also as well. So, I think we're going to adjourn this call, and I'd like to thank staff and all the TTF inputs on this call. And this call is now adjourned. Thank you all so very much. Have a wonderful morning, afternoon, evening and day. Take care. Bye.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely day. Bye-bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**