
YESIM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement call taking place on Monday, 24th of April, 2017, at 17:00 UTC. On the call today, on our English channel, we have Dev Anand Teelucksing, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, John Laprise, Glenn Mcknight, Ali Almeshal, Alfredo Calderon, and Maureen Hilyard. On the Spanish channel we have Maritza Aguero. Currently we don't have anyone on the French channel for now, and we have received apologies from Yrjo Lansipuro and Tijani Ben Jemaa. From Staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, Tanzanica King, Siranush Vardanyan, Adam Peake, and myself, Yesim Nazlar.

Our Spanish interpreters today are Claudia and Marina, and our French interpreters are Claire and Camila.

Finally, I would like to remind everyone to state their names before speaking, not only for the transcription purposes, but also for the interpretation purposes as well. We have Spanish and French interpretation for this call. Now I would like to leave the floor to our Chair, Dev Anand Teelucksing. Thank you very much, over to you, Dev. {AUDIO BREAK} Dev, I think you're muted. I'll unmute you on Adobe Connect Room.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING:

Thank you very much, you're correct, I was muted. Let me start over again. Thank you all and welcome to the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee Call. So we have several agenda items related to our

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

outreach proposal for 2017 ICANN, what we are trying to do at ICANN59, Johannesburg, in terms of outreach ability. I just also wanted to go over the outreach event calendar, and then some very short updates on some of the other outreach and engagement activities by the subcommittee.

I further the suggestion from Glenn who suggests adding the previous action items. Well, just for the record, the previous action items were to look at the booth for the next ICANN meeting, and also for Glenn to work with At-Large Staff and Deborah on coordinating At-Large activities at the ICANN booth during ICANN59. And Glenn and Daniel [inaudible] who want to get the Google docs for the IGF workshop proposal. Since these are all embedded in the agenda, would it be okay, Glenn, if we just go straight into the agenda? Or is there a particular action item that you think wasn't captured?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, Dev, it's Glenn, for the record. I think we've had this outstanding issue for a number of meetings about the stakeholder tools that we created, and it was suggested as an action item, that Staff take over that task, and I haven't seen any resolution on that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING:

Good point. Okay, so let's add that under Any Other Business. Thanks for that reminder. So we'll try to tackle that under Short Updates or Any Other Business. Okay. So, moving on straight into the second agenda item. The At-Large Outreach proposal for the IGF 2017, the ICANN Board makes its various decisions on the various AC and SO

budget requests for FI-18, and quite fortunately, our proposal was approved.

The approval states, and I don't know if Staff has the link to the budget workspace to post in the chat, but essentially our budget says that budget allocation for two travelers, one from this outreach subcommittee, and one from the ALAC, to attend the IGF 2017, and this funding was contingent on our ability to have a proposal approved by the IGF, for a session to happen at IGF 2017.

And I see the link has been posted to the chat by Staff, so you can look at that. So, it's therefore imperative to really have a proposal ready, a proposal for the IGF MAG, to submit. So Glenn has been taking the lead on this, and perhaps Glenn, you could take the floor to just go over the Google doc right now and perhaps find the actual Google doc -- I believe it's linked in the agenda. So, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

It's loud enough? Okay, I had to go back to the -- IGF has an approval process. Now, they've made some changes, there is apparently through my network, through IEEE, a lot of proposals are being leveled to them, so we need to be sharp on our proposal, number one. Number two is that they don't want the talking heads, where the audience is in the room or people watching it remotely, we need to have a clear strategy on engaging the community so that the people in the audience and online, they're actually sharing their knowledge, they're asking vibrant questions.

So to go in there for -- and I'm suggesting a 90 minute session, for us to have our community speaking in this panel for the entire time or most of it, will be probably rejected, based on the feedback I'm getting from people who are assessing these proposals. So I've suggested in the proposal to the link that Jackie and Satish has been editing, as well, that we have a series of almost like lightning talks, overviews on best practice, five minutes each, and then open it right away to the audience, so that they can actually participate, and our remote person who is actually going to encourage people to ask questions, as well.

So if I go into the proposal itself, as I was stating, the title, we have three suggested names for our title, "Reinforcing the Role of End Users and the Future of Internet Governance", "Taking Internet Governance to the Grassroots, a Regional Approach", and "Shaping the Digital Future of Communities Through Internet Governance". So, the reason these titles sound the way they do is that the focus for the IGF this year is Shape Your Digital Future. So we have to nurture this concept and give back to them a title and a description and a format that I think is quite attractive, which is great that we can actually, many of us that would participate or alternates that would be attending this and being on that panel, have a lot of real practical experience that they could share with the community.

So, as I stated, it would be -- I'm looking at Satish being the lead rapporteur. He would provide information on the purpose and objectives of our discussion, and then a series of three rounds of very quick overview, 5 to 10 minutes, for each of the regions, and then the discussion. So, I think it fits in with their model. We have a few more weeks, still, to propose our proposal, we have to make sure our panels

are well represented in terms of communication -- sorry, I'll start again -
- I think we need to make sure that our panel is well represented based
on diversity and gender equity. So if we're not doing a good enough job
on this proposal, so we're looking for the community to step up and say,
"You've failed on that, or here are some suggested names."

The second point that I need to point out, we did have other community
that has submitted submissions to the FBSC, as well. And I do see
Heidi's hand up, and I think it may be exactly on the topic that I'm
talking about. Heidi, did you want to interrupt me? [AUDIO BREAK]Uh,
don't know if Heidi has audio.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Can you not hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, I did not. Now I heard you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, okay. So I wanted to just say that, as I've written into the chat, for
the fiscal year 2018 additional budget requests, as you've noted, the
ALAC has had their requests approved, but also AFRALO, APRALO, and
EURALO have also had their requests for the IGF approved. I did speak
with Mandy Carver who is the Staff lead for all of these, she's also the
lead for everything to do with IGF within ICANN, so she's really the key
person for that. She noted that for the time being, the key point is that
the ALAC and those three RALOs submit their request to the IGF by the
3rd of May. That is next week, not much time.

And again, as Glenn mentioned, the proposal should be gender, geographic diversity, great language diversity, in order to be approved by the MAG, and that is a requirement for all of these, is that all the workshops need to be approved by the MAG in order to have that fiscal year 2018 additional budget request being able to go ahead from ICANN's side. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Heidi. Let me ask you, since you were talking to Mandy, my contacts are through IEEE and they were telling me that they were getting swamped with a lot of proposals. Is that Mandy's impression as well?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I did not ask her that. I don't think she is aware of that at this point.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, alright. So, let me just ask again, Heidi. So we will be looking at separate proposals from the ones that were also approved apart from this outreach and engagement? Or are we looking that somehow we can synchronize with the one we're submitting? So, I need clarification.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, so this is Heidi. Again, for the technical side, the requirements are that the three RALOs, again, it's AFRALO, APRALO, and EURALO who submitted requests, they need to submit requests for workshops to the

IGF and they need to have them passes by the MAG, in order for their two slotted travelers to go. The ALAC, as well. They need to submit something. I would imagine that this is going to be a much more broader proposal that includes the RALO proposal, as well, for both the workshop as well as outreach and engagement activities. And again, the ALAC was given two travelers, as well. So a total of, I think, eight travelers from ICANN, from At-Large.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. I think also I talked to Olivier about this last week, and I know Olivier is eating his lunch or dinner -- he may jump in in a second.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's dinner.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Are you there, Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I was going to jump in after you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Olivier, you were saying to me that you'd probably be sponsored, you could participate with panel, but you probably don't need one of those travel slots, is that correct?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much, Glenn, it's Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. At present I have no idea, because the cross community working group on internet governance is also going to file a workshop request. So if it does get that, then I might be funded through this. If it doesn't, then I need to be funded through another way. So the travel is not much of an issue, because I just live down the road, but the hotels in Geneva are particularly expensive.

But I was going to comment on one thing, and that's the concern with regards to the multiplication of requests for workshops under the ICANN banner. I understand that the NCSG or NCUC are also going to file for workshops there. ICANN is going to file for two sessions, one being, what do you call it, one of these sort of organizational member...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Open forum.

OOLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Open forum, that's the one, yeah. One being an open forum, one being an actual workshop, and one concern, one piece of feedback we received from Marilyn Cade, who is well connected with the IGF MAG is not on the MAG anymore herself, but is well connected, is that this year it appears that they are tightening the rules as to how many workshops a single organization can bid for and can get. And so I have some concerns that we might have wonderful workshops that might be cut out because of a hierarchy of workshops, in other words saying, "Well,

you've gone through your quota of three workshops, we can't have another four, so pick the ones that you think are more important."

And of course, that pick would not come over to us, it would come over to ICANN. I think we need to check with people in our community who are on the MAG, what the reality of things is, and whether we can file under the different RALO names, so they're not -- because a workshop filed by the NCSG is not a workshop filed by APRALO. And so these in our view are entirely different organizations, but of course, in the view of some MAG members, it isn't. We need some clarity on this. That's what I wanted to add. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, thank you so much, Olivier. And Renata is on the MAG, so I'll reach out to her, as well, any clarification. Now, the question back to you, Heidi, if we submit our proposals and if Olivier is correct, they have to select which ones they want and which ones they will reject, if they rejected, does that mean that the funding from ICANN for travelers, because we need people for the booth, as well, so we have a double duty. We have the panel discussions, but we also have booth duty. So my question to you, Heidi, is if, say our outreach and engagement was rejected, and we have one ALAC and one RALO person, but they can't do their panel, would they be able to be funded to go to Geneva to do the booth?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. That is a good question. It might be for the ALAC slots, the ALAC requests, but I don't think for the RALO requests. As I put into the

chat, it might be useful for the organizers from the ALAC side, it might be the committee, and then the RALOs. We have a call with Mandy this week, to firstly talk about your workshops, and maybe she can offer some suggestions, but also just to coordinate, to make sure that all the requests – I mean, again, there are going to be four requests, one from the ALAC and three from each of those three RALOs, so it would make sense to just coordinate those as a complete package, and perhaps the MAG will see that. So, Dev, it's up to you if you want an action item to go ahead and schedule something like that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Well, this is Dev, I'm thinking that is quite needed. I also think perhaps a Wiki page needs to be set up so that we'll link all of these proposals, so that at least we could, you know, find where the AFRALO, APRALO, and EURALO, if they are linked to some doc file or Google docs, or whatever, just have those links available, so we can all look at them. But I think, yes, definitely. And given that the deadline is literally next week, I mean, it's not really a matter of weeks, we don't have weeks anymore, we only have days now.

So, I would say perhaps an urgent call. I would say, well, every Tuesday is asking too much, but Wednesday, how about a call on Wednesday with the relevant persons in AFRALO, APRALO, EURALO, and with Mandy, to have that call on Wednesday. And given the short duration, just no interpretation, just -- okay? So let's see if a doodle can go out sometime today and finish by tomorrow, in time for the call on Wednesday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev, this is Heidi.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I'm wondering if you wanted to have the IGF workshop organizers from the ALAC and the three RALOs, Mandy, and the OND, I wonder if it should be Thursday, because I'm just wondering if there's going to be time for the RALO organizers to get something together by Wednesday for us to look at by Wednesday. That's my concern. Unless you want it to be more of a planning call, and then they go back and develop their plans, Wednesday would be fine for that, I guess, then.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Heidi, let me ask Olivier. Olivier, have you been working on your submissions for EURALO, for IGF? [AUDIO BREAK]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Olivier, you may be muted. [AUDIO BREAK]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: In terms of our committee, we've been actually -- I have to fair warn everyone, this is a really buggy forum. If you think you can do stuff and save the draft, it will lose it all. You really need to be cautious, get the

questions, and work with it off line, and you're happy, happy, happy, then submit it, but I can tell you, I've talked to Dev last week, and a few times it just completely lost everything I submitted. Maybe they fixed it, but as of last week, that forum was really buggy, still.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, well, let me just ask quickly, shall we have the call on Wednesday or should we have it on Thursday? And perhaps by Thursday, it would allow -- well, I guess a heads up, one, for AFRALO, APRALO, and EURALO persons that submitted budget proposals for IGF panel sessions to have something and at least something preliminary to share by Thursday, instead of Wednesday? Does anybody have an objection to that? Having it on Thursday, then?

Okay. Alright, I'm not seeing any objection. So let's try to have this session on Thursday, then. But let the doodle go out today, and especially to give a heads up to everybody to, "Hey, let's work again in time for this Thursday meeting, to have something to show and to coordinate, and if there is anything we need to consolidated proposals." Okay? Okay, any thoughts or questions or comments? Going once, going twice, okay. Alright, so the clock is ticking for this IGF proposal, then.

Okay, the second thing that we need to look at is also having an ICANN At-Large booth at the IGF 2017. So one of the things we have to figure out is what exactly is the process by which an ICANN booth can be requested from the IGF. Glenn, I think you have some ideas of how this works?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, what has happened in the past, you have to ask, you have to request. There's no cost, and they'll give you a small booth, like they did before. I think we should be having a booth like NCUC did, because the ICANN booth ends up becoming a staff touchpoint for board members and other things. It's really not a information outreach. It ends up being a place for people to aggregate that are coordinating meetings and logistics. So, yeah, I will follow up with IGF on the request for the booth. I was told it should be well in advance, and so it should be between now and May. So, I'll take that as an action item.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay. This is Dev. Okay, so Glenn to confirm how a booth for IGF 2017 can be requested. I imagine it must be the same deadline as the 3rd of May as for the IGF proposals, which is next week. So again, it's a matter of --

GLENN MCKNIGHT: There's nothing on the website that even gives any indication on deadlines for that. So I only know [inaudible] that it has to be -- and last year it had to be in by July, so it was not the same day as the Mexico even. But as I said, I'll make sure I contact them.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay. And [inaudible] for Staff, perhaps Staff can ask Mandy, so that she might have the answer to questions regarding how to apply for a booth, so that's on the Thursday call, we can get clarity on this item.

Okay. Alright, definitely I think, this is Dev, going back to having an At-Large booth, I think it would be very useful, and I think having our own materials there, be it our brochures, or information about At-Large, and so forth, maybe even just having a laptop there with some of the slides to show people about community onboarding, you know, that would all would be very useful. Okay?

So I think definitely we need to apply for a booth at IGF 2017. And the manning of the booth could be shared among the At-Large participants there, and a schedule worked on as to who will be there at what time. Okay? Any comments or questions? Alright. Seeing no comments or questions on it, then maybe perhaps we can move again to ICANN59.

So ICANN59 is happening in June, and there are three opportunities for outreach, and I guess I want to start really documenting some of these ideas in a more concrete manner, moving on from this call. So the ICANN59 meeting itself, usually -- well, the call was formerly known as Meeting B, and it is now called the Policy Forum. This is the shorter meeting, but typically the first day of the meeting is earmarked for outreach. So the question is what do we do on the Monday at ICANN59? The second thing was that there was opportunity that ICANN was considering organizing an event to go to a local university. So I just want to get some updates as to what is happening with that thinking, whether that is happening or that isn't happening.

And also, the ICANN booth itself at the ICANN59. Based on past calls, we looked at what happened at the ICANN58 booth and we saw there was a need to have a much better planning and involvement of At-Large

being at the booth and being able to showcase its materials, and so forth. So, those are the two things.

So, let me just ask, perhaps to confirm with Staff, because they probably are much more aware of the scheduling for ICANN59, and perhaps the members are, the At-Large members, is the Monday schedule showing opportunities for At-Large to have outreach sessions on Monday? [AUDIO BREAK] Or I should ask also, if the outreach to the university, would that be happening on the Monday? Let me ask that question, it's open for anybody from Staff who can answer those questions. Gisella, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Dev, yes, Gisella here for the record. I'm not able to answer the question regarding the university. I know that planning is still in progress to see what we're going to do with a local university, and it will no doubt be discussed on the AFRALO organizing committee call, again, which will be held early next week, just due to unavailability of some of the members this week.

And with regard to the schedule, when you asked whether there was outreach set aside on the Monday afternoon, again, the block schedule is meant to be published later today on the main ICANN website, and we will be drafting the At-Large schedule this week with the planning committee, because we haven't yet started it, we had to wait for the block schedule to be published to know which the afternoon cross community sessions were going to be. So that's my update. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, so thanks Gisella for this. So a followup question then, when the block schedule is going to be posted on the main ICANN website for everybody to see, or is that something internal for ICANN Staff only?

GISELLA GRUBER: Dev, Gisella again, it will be published on the main ICANN website, just the block schedule with the cross community sessions listed in the afternoon, hopefully, as I said, close of business Pacific time. Sorry, Tanzania is on the call. Publically, yes.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Alright, okay, thanks for that. Alright, so that's one thing we want to do, then, is set up a Wiki page for ICANN59 outreach activities for At-Large. So we just need to have that created, so you can start documenting these things. Adam, please go ahead.

ADAM PEAKE: Hi, can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Yes, we can.

ADAM PEAKE: Adam Peake for the record. I don't have very much to update, sorry for that. What I can say is that Johannesburg University will be beginning their -- I suppose it's their winter break, about a week before we arrive. So at the moment, the discussions that I'm trying to initiate and it really

is at the initiation stage, are very limited because the universities are closed. If there are opportunities, then I'll keep you updated on what I hear. But right now we're in the same particular situation as in Hyderabad, where we're going to a location where some of the universities are on holiday. But there will be some research organizations, what used to be called NRANS, will be around. So we're hoping something might happen, but right now it's not looking that positive. So that's the situation with the universities, and I'll keep in touch.

On other outreach events that I know of, the other that's ongoing and has been approved is the NCUC using some of their CROP funding, it's an event funding, to hold an outreach event on the 23rd and 24th of June, which is a couple of days before the ICANN meeting begins, and that's one of the requirements of CROP, that any events that constituencies are allowed, should be held independent of the ICANN meeting. So they will be holding a meeting with local civil society NGOs a couple of days before ICANN. But that is under the CROPP program, and I don't know, other than that, I haven't seen an agenda, only that we were involved in seeing the initial planning for that. So that's all I know at the moment. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Thanks for that update, Adam. This is Dev speaking. I think Glenn has a hand raised, go ahead Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Dev. I'm just thinking if it's hard to get to the universities, I'm wondering, Adam if you approach the ISOC chapter, there's a couple chapters in South Africa, and I just posted the one chapter that's fairly close to Joburg, so I just wonder if that's something you considered?

ADAM PEAKE: Yes, actually that's the chapter, they're also an NCUC member, and along, and they're helping them organization the event on the 23rd and 24th, along with the Association for Progressive Communications, which has its headquarters in Johannesburg. So, yes, they're aware, and I know that they're an ALS, but given that it's CROPP funding, I don't think it's my job to get involved with who participates and who doesn't, in that sort of area. But that chapter is involved.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, thanks Glenn. Did you have a followup to that or...?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, no, I will put my hand down.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, alright, thanks for that. Okay, let me ask a question from Gisella, well, from Staff I should say. For the AFRALO activities, because I know they are planning to have several ALS's coming to the ICANN meeting. Is this documented on a Wiki page somewhere?

GISELLA GRUBER: Dev, Gisella here.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Yes.

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella for the record. The AFRALO activities, I'll put the link to the page in the chat, the list of the people traveling to Johannesburg has not yet been listed. We're just working on final travel arrangements, and then we will post the ALS's actually traveling to Johannesburg.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay. Alright, and so then, thank you Gisella. So as an additional followup item, in add to having that Wiki page of all the outreach activities, it's also to link to the AFRALO session, and ALS's that are coming in, and so forth, the link to that page, as well, should be on that outreach page. Okay. Any other comments, questions?

I see there's a comment from Remmy, just reading it for the record, "Would it not be better to have an open day which would allow students to come to the ICANN venue and have a feel of it, rather than visiting a school?" I would say yes, but then the question is then we need to really promote the ICANN meeting, so, if you have a suggestion of how we could effectively promote the ICANN meeting, and probably the At-Large session, you know, that would be welcomed. And then perhaps you could also take that, so the list of outreach activities, if you have to then develop a meal card, or slide, you know, ad, or whatever,

for promoting to those universities. Alright, Adam, I see your hand raised, is this a new hand or an old hand?

ADAM PEAKE: Old hand, apologies. I should know better. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: No problem. Okay, so we looked at two things, but the third thing is the ICANN booth itself at ICANN59. So I'll just ask Glenn, again, did you have any discussions between the last meeting and now as to regarding the ICANN59 booth?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, Glenn for the record, again. I did mention to Sylvia in conversation in I believe in the last week or two, that I would create a signup sheet and actually, so we clearly know who's going and who's going to sign up in what time zone, that would be allocated. So I'll make sure that we round up enough volunteers. And I really don't know the results of what our outreach was. There was no real meeting before and after as to what the results were from the people who actually attended the group. I know there was a report, but that really didn't reflect anything about us. It was just the fellows' report. I didn't recall seeing anything that was the result of [inaudible] to the last fund, so fortunately this time we'll be able to get enough volunteer and actually have some kind of idea of what the results would be. So I'll be coordinating that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: You got kind of faint, and unfortunately – sorry, this is Dev – Glenn, you were kind of faint there, and unfortunately there was also some other noise coming in, it was like tapping something in the background.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, so I'll just repeat very quickly. Can you hear me okay now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Yes, much better.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, I'm speaking out quite loudly. Very quickly, I talked to Sylvia, we're going to create a signup sheet. A, we've got to find out who is there. Sometimes we have to force people to be volunteers, but it's only an hour or so it's day, so it shouldn't be that much of a challenge for people. But we have no ideas what the results were from the last time we all volunteered, and it was a number of us that volunteered, we never had any results, how many brochures were handed out, or what lead sheet, or anything. So we hope this time as a group we'll meet and make sure that everybody knows the pitch, they'll have their brochures, and hopefully we'll have a report back to this committee. That's it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Thanks, Glenn, loud and clear. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you, Dev. This is Heidi. We have Tanzania on the call today, and as you all know, she's the one that's really in charge of the ICANN meeting booth. So I'm wondering if she could just say a few words on how best for At-Large to use the available space and how we can work with the fellows and the newcomers, and what some other possible options might be for ICANN59.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Absolutely. Tanzania, welcome.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tanzania, if you're speaking, you're on mute. Let's see if we can sort the audio issues out. Let's see, she says, you can't hear me. Okay, is she in the AC room? Okay, let's see if we can dial out to her. Oh, there she is, Tanzania, is that you?

YESIM NAZLAR: Heidi, this is Yesim speaking. Tanzania is not on the phone bridge, she's only on the Adobe Connect. I'll private chat with her now and try to reach out to her.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, while that is happening, while that communication is being sorted out, just to take advantage of the time, since we have to stop at the top

of the hour, let me just quickly go into short updates regarding -- and then come back to the ICANN booth at ICANN59. So, several things. One, the ALS Expectations document. Again, I just want to keep this in our agenda, in our mind space, so that we can work to make this document, this outline approach for the expectations better documented and also for us to contribute to the effort of this ALS work.

And one of those things is the community onboarding set of documents which I will talk about just now. I believe that there were some slides that Alan prepared for the NARALO General Assembly, so perhaps, Glenn or anybody else from NARALO could probably send those slides. Let me ask a question from Staff, because I'm still not clear. Has the ALS Expectations been -- has this been put on the Wiki in some form?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, Dev, which aspects of ALS criteria and expectations?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: The ALS Expectations document. I mean, it was only presented during the ALAC sessions at the ICANN Face to Face meeting. But has this been put publically on a dedicated Wiki page?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Let me follow up with Alan about that, and I'll get back to you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, can I suggest then to place this Expectations under the outreach and engagement work space, as a suggestion. Okay, so just note that as an action item. There's a question now. It has Tanzania --

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, Tanzania, we believe she's unmated. Tanzania, could you see if we can hear you now?

TANZANICA KING: Can you hear me?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

TANZANICA KING: Okay, this is Tanzania, hello everybody. With regards to the ICANN booth, as I'm sure you know, Janice has mostly been managing that by putting newcomers and fellows into the ICANN booth, and there has been some discussion as to how much time they want to give up, but because there are a number of SO/AC groups that want to provide outreach hours of the day, I am going to look at possibly, and I say possibly because I haven't really routed this through with anybody yet, but possibly creating an SO/AC outreach, some sort of community outreach booth that can be shared for every meeting, so that we can sort of eliminate the requests for time from the ICANN booth and, you know, people struggling over how much time they can have.

So either way, we will make sure, whether it's through the ICANN booth or through a new community outreach booth, that there is time for you to do outreach at a booth. And if there are any other questions about the booth or requests for what you would like to see in something like that, please let me know.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Thanks, Tanzania, this is Dev. Would this type of community booth be ready on time for ICANN59? Or is this something planned for more ICANN60 at Abu Dhabi?

TANZANICA KING: This is Tanzania. This is something that I would like to see if we could do for ICANN59. Again, it really is going to depend on space, and another thing to point out about this particular meeting is that because it's a policy forum, there are not a whole bunch of other booths that are going to be set up, because we don't have our regular sponsorships for the policy forum. So there is primarily going to be a booth for ICANN, there's going to be a booth for our future host, and our local host in Johannesburg, and I believe we have one additional booth for some travel.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, well, this is Dev, I think an extra booth for the AC/SOs and SGs, for their outreach activities would be interesting. I guess the challenge would be how do we coordinate who will be at the booth, when, would probably be my thinking. Do you have any idea how you plan to do

this? Are you saying that you want any ideas? Do you have any ideas that you plan to share in terms of how you want to allocate times to the booth and so forth?

TANZANICA KING: This is Tanzania. This is a brand new idea that I came up with doing a little bit of brainstorming with Heidi on Friday. So I don't have a bunch of details, but I imagine we could figure out a pretty easy way to allocate the time, depending on the all the requests that might come in for that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, alright. Thanks Tanzania. Again, it sounds like a good development. I see two persons, and I thought I saw Heidi, but Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I think this is great, because I can tell you from a recent event with our NARALO GA, there was a separate table called Ask a Geek or Ask a Techy, if people had technical questions, to help out Aaron, there were two volunteers there, and they could ask anything. I'm not saying that this is the nature of this booth, but you know, a seasoned person who has been part of our community can ask and have a dialogue or a discussion, I think is really important, because I think that's different than what we saw with the fellows and newcomers, and there are so many people there, and it's a great social thing for them, but they can't

answer a lot of questions in our community, because they're not familiar with our community.

So I think we have to take ownership of that message and having a fairly small scaled down table, doesn't have to be very elaborate, but we can have synergy between -- if somebody comes up, yeah, I want to get involved with North America, on issues on privacy, or whatever, some policy stuff, bang, just point them over to the other table. So yeah, it sounds like a good idea.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, thanks for that. Alright, Heidi and Olivier. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, it took me a minute to get off mute, this is Heidi, sorry. So I think that the idea of having a separate booth for the community is a fantastic idea, Tanzania, and I would think that it would need to be self organizing and the AC/SO support staff can help organize themselves, but I know that it's worked well when we had a signup sheet and we had one person leading it. Glenn, you've done great at the NARALO GA, that booth was always manned, there were all these people around it, as well, so I think that given the challenges that we've had having so many fellows and newcomers, which is great, but it's just now that we're seeing more people from At-Large and you see others trying to do outreach at the same time, one booth might not be big enough.

So by having two booths, I think it just opens up possibilities, and I would think that one might be something for At-Large in ICANN59,

where there is some sort of fun activity taking place to bring people in, and I'm going to hand it over to Olivier, if that's okay, to talk a little bit more about that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay, thanks. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much, Dev. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Indeed, when I hear about having a second booth or a separate booth for At-Large or for the SOs and ACs, we need to make it as exciting as the fellowship one, or the one that is populated by the fellows. And I recall the one that we had in Copenhagen, the fellows always brought in so many people into their -- possibly because a lot of them knew each other, as well, so it was bringing people in.

So if we have something like a contest, or some kind of a quiz, or treasure hunt, or something like that where, you know, if people sort of check in with the booth and come about, they could get handed a clue daily, and the more clues you get, the more likely you are to be able to answer a quiz, or a bingo card, or something, we could think of a game of some sort to bring people in and then give some swag on the last day to whoever has been there the most times, or has answered the most questions, or something like that.

I'm just thinking, something that will bring people to the booth, and will bring them not just once, but bring them twice, three times, maybe we can have a thing, you know, if you bring someone, introduce someone,

and you'll get another mark, and then at the end of the week we'll just count how many times you've come in and if you've come in at least five times, then you get something, and if you come in ten times, then you get something else, I don't know, just a thought, thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: It's an excellent thought, Olivier, this is Dev. You know, that's a very excellent thought. Let's at least capture that idea on the outreach Wiki page, because I think that would be a cool thing to implement, you know, to kind of as you say, make it a game to check in, you have to check in every day at the booth, or something like that. Yeah, I think it's a good idea. Alright. I'm seeing hands still raised. Is it for followup questions, or...? Glenn? [AUDIO BREAK]

Okay, no. Heidi? I know we have a hard stop at the top of the hour. So literally I have to give all these updates within 2 minutes. Community onboarding. Boran and Isaac had a conference call last week, and are having a call, in fact, tomorrow morning to go through some of our updates on the community onboarding. One of the things we are looking to do in preparation for the community onboarding call on Thursday, essentially we have three documents, one is the domain name system policy challenges and our intro to ICANN At-Large.

We're planning to do two more, one is sort of a 'start here' document which tries to say -- basically, tries to identify, if you are a particular type of audience, let's say you're a fellow in NexGen, these are the types of materials or links you need to follow. If you're an outside member or

John or Jane Q Public, these are the links you need to follow, in terms of sort of like a course outline as to what path you should take.

And the fifth document that we're trying to work on is sort of navigating At-Large. Sort of the organizational challenges of being in At-Large, how do you keep track of At-Large events, how do you use the Adobe Connect room, those types of challenges, in addition to keeping up to date on all of those other [inaudible].

The other thing, regarding the outreach calendars, I just want to emphasize to people, please make use of the outreach calendars to plan for the CROPP proposals, and I probably will have to make this an agenda item on the next call, to really just go over the outreach calendars, because all the persons here on the call can edit it, staff can edit it, it's really up to us to really add the events, so that people can plan for CROPP proposals and submit them in a timely manner.

Regarding the stakeholders too, I guess we're going to have to defer that conversation to another time given that time is running off on that, but I will be working on some updates to this, and I would like to get some staff communication as to how they want to keep this up to date.

Alright, I think I kind of covered it. Any quick comments or questions or observations? In the last 90 seconds? Going once, going twice, going thrice. Okay, alright, thanks everyone for attending this call. I know there's going to be a next call later this week in terms of the IGF proposal planning on Thursday. Look out for that email, respond to the doodle immediately, so that the time can be locked down, given that the deadline for the IGF proposals is next week. So, thank you all so

much for attending this call. This call is now adjourned. Have a wonderful afternoon, evening, morning. Thank you all.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you, this meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely rest of the day.
Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]