
YEŞİM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call taking place on Monday, 8th of May, 2017 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today on our English channel, we have Glenn McKnight, Judith Hellerstein, Alan Greenberg, Wes Boudville, John Laprise, Leah Symekher, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Howard Deane, Eduardo Diaz, Yubelkys Montalvo, Louis Houle, and Javier Rua-Jovet.

I also would like to add that Dustin Phillips is on the call as well.

On the French channel, currently, we don't have anyone.

And we have received apologies from Dana Perry.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco and myself, Yeşim Nazlar.

Our French interpreters today are Camilla and [Jacques].

And finally as always, I would like to remind everyone to state their names before speaking not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpretation purposes as well. And, over to you, Glenn. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. I'd just like to do a call out. Did we miss anyone in the roll call on Adigo or Adobe Connect? Just have a chance, I see Louis has made a correction. He is on the French channel for the record.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Welcome everybody. We had a short meeting, which we only had two agenda items at our last call, which we did during our lunchtime at our General Assembly. We only did the Rules of Procedure, and our pending election. So, this is we're back to our normal monthly call. Welcome, everyone.

I like to start-off with a callout and to anybody who has any community announcements to share with community, so if you're on Adigo, you got to shout out and if you're on Adobe Connect, just put up your hand and we'll recognize you. So go ahead. Is there any community announcements? Going once, going twice. Okay, thank you, folks. So this is a quiet month.

So, let's just move on to the next item. So the next item is an update of a number of our community members submitted the proposals, the FBFC for financial support. And I like to turn to Heidi to just give a summary update and what the status of those missions are.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi, everyone. Welcome. Just on your agenda, I hope that we have the links to the At-Large Fiscal Year '18 Approved Additional Budget. And on there, you will see that there are several for NARALO and I just wanted to go through a few of those. The first [roll] is that there's one for the IGF and I've heard – actually, that one's [RALO]. There's [inaudible] ALAC and the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement that Glenn has submitted the draft for. Glenn, I don't know if you want to go into that at this point.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Many of us, actually, 22 of us attended the last IGF for different purposes. What we did is we put a proposal to the FBFC to an outreach effort, which included a booth and a talking opportunity. But combining with that, we also had to do an IGF proposal, so many of us – Judith, myself, Dev and others – we created a proposal for Outreach and Engagement. So, what we have is we have the support from ICANN but it's all pending whether or not they will accept our IGF proposal. So we have to wait for a little while for that. Back to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Just on that one, so basically, it was ALAC and the ALAC Subcommittee are going to give them two slots and then those three RALOs – AFRALO, APRALO, and EURALO – will be given, too. And the initial one, the ALAC and the ALAC Subcommittee and Outreach and Engagement, their travel is required to have at least one RALO workshop approved. So, I think that you're in good shape there. So, thank you for just weighing that document that I mentioned.

So, Glenn, did you want me to just do the NARALO one or –

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Well, because of time, Heidi, people – if we have the links to the rest of them, they can review them. So, I think we're good.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, I know Javier is on the call and we have the North American School of Internet Governance that he and Eduardo and Alfredo are taking over. I don't know if they want to go over that one. That's going

to be an amazing day right before the Puerto Rican meeting and I know that they're well advanced in their plans. Or maybe you want to just –

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'll interrupt you since you mentioned that. Eduardo, would you like to speak on the progress of the committee?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. We have put together a group of about 24 to 25 volunteers, which includes Glenn and [inaudible] from the San Francisco Bay ISOC Chapter, which is – we incorporated her in this committee too because the next North American school will happen over there.

And again, so, we are working within a group that's working with the curriculum and I believe by the end of next week, we will have some a very draft program [in play] that we will share with everyone. And then from there, then we will start shaping the facilities and the rest.

So, with our plans, it's geared to have everything ready by the end of this year. That's it. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much. And then, the second one, the last [inaudible] is specifically for NARALO is the Global Indigenous Persons Mentorship Program in support of fellowship as proposed and it's the official name. And basically, this is an expansion, a global expansion of the pilot last year for the Fiscal Year '17 Additional Budget Request that was just for NARALO where we had the two indigenous representatives go to

Hyderabad. This one is going to be expanded to include indigenous people from around the world and go to two ICANN meetings – ICANN60 Abu Dhabi and ICANN61, which is Puerto Rico.

So again, I wanted to stress that this is basically within the Fellowship program. So, I think that the first step, I know that we're planning a call in the next week or so just to discuss this and I think that's going to be really the key points of how – we need to collaborate with the Fellowship program to go ahead and identify how this is going to be implemented. And then, we can pick – some of them they can be ALS representatives, whether they can be individuals, etc. That I think has to be determined.

So, I think that's it. Glenn, over to you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. Loris is on the call and she produced the proposal. Loris, did you wanted to add anything on that? No. I do not hear Loris but I know we're trying to do. We set up a call as soon as possible on this to follow through.

Great. Thank you so much, Heidi. Go on. Back to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Well, that's it. That was it for NARALO. Those are the two NARALO ones.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Heidi, just for the rest of the community [inaudible], I understand from the last FBFC call that the number of applications has increased substantially over the years and we have incredible success this time in terms of the applications. Is there any guidance you would like to give to community on next year's call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, I think you have a fantastic lecture as that workspace said, overall within At-Large, 19 and of the 24 were approved. Now again, some were approved in terms of going into CORE or using the CROP, suggesting that they use the CROP funding, etc. But in fact, 11 were CORE. So that shows that they're very innovative requests that are picking up after a couple of years of being a pilot and they're taking into the CORE budget, which I think is going good success.

The only point I would say is just if we could collaborate, if there's anything across the region, across the RALOs, just early, start early. The process of fiscal year '19, if you could already meet, perhaps have that on an agenda item for NARALO going into September, October and then bring it up to the regional leadership by Abu Dhabi just to identify some of the requests, so we can have those ready to go by the end of the year. Back to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. A couple of other ones that we are involved with, myself was on the policy tracking proposal for TTF. But I just like to give an opportunity to Judith to call out on the captioning, the extensive captioning proposal she did. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Captioning was one in the projects for two pilots and then one into the CORE. And right now, we're putting together the original Captioning Team and as well as others who are interested in joining the group for the next level and circling out with [Hogarth's] team how within these two other constituencies and how we get involved, and how we make some of these exciting new CORE decisions. So, if anyone is interested in joining this Captioning Team, let me know.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Excellent. Thank you. So, I think that's the point that Judith is trying to make. The last thing is there is a working committee and Judith can share that information. If you're passionate about the interest for special needs, the disabled community, this is the great time to get involved. It's a great project. In fact, Goran made fantastic comments at the general forum I believe or he's meeting with the – no, sorry, he was with the Board and ALAC last, last session, so it's an exciting project.

I just want to move on. If there's any other questions, I know we have one proposal that didn't get succeeded and I think it was an excellent proposal that came in from Evan. It may have been a little too innovative. It's probably being worked on and I know Alan was talking about that. Evan is not on the call today but if you're not aware of it, it was a contest, it was primary a social media video contest on making the complex topics much more, I guess, [inaudible] or more simple to use and an innovative way to communicate complex concepts that circulate within our ecosystem. So, I hope that will surface again and

maybe that's something as Heidi said, we get working on it early in the stage, but [while] I ask Alan if he has any comments on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, not really. At this point, I don't know what the current status is. So, Heidi may have some more information. I don't.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks, Alan. Heidi, did you want to broach that or just leave that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think at this point, just leave that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. I think you're [prudent].

Okay, folks, moving right along on it where the next thing is our NARALO General Assembly. It was a fantastic event. We will have a complete report. It's just being edited as I speak. I'm hoping that it will be all to you, the action items and the report to you this week. All the pictures of each of the RALOs are posted. The general photos are posted as well for you to share and I guess I'll open it up to the community to give some comments because it was a unique experience. I don't think – and correct me if I'm wrong, both of you Silvia and Heidi – I don't think General Assembly has coexisted with an RIR before, so I just want to open it up to the floor for comments on the General Assembly.

We're a quiet bunch today. I guess I'll single out people. Judith, any comments?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I think it went really well. We discussed the ideas of maybe if we're going to do it with an RIR next time, we might do the General Assembly before the RIR start to give people little background, more background and more able to participate. I think that was one of the main comments that was brought back that we wish we had the GA before the ARIN meeting instead of after.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, very, very valid point, Judith. That's an excellent point. Thank you.
Javier, go ahead.

JAVIER RUA-JOVET: Sure. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can.

JAVIER RUA-JOVET: Just on the GA done with ARIN, I think it was evidently a great idea. The way the critical mass that an ARIN meeting bring in terms of speakers, it's a net gain for any NARALO GA. I mean, as you all know, we get all registries, we had besides North America, and we had ICANN

organization, we had Goran with us. We had great speakers [inaudible] were there I think mostly because of ARIN. And then of course, the opportunities that one had to just network and just speak to interesting folks and just bounce ideas of people, it was a great, great, great opportunity. And so, congratulations to everybody that helped out. It was really great. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Javier.

Howard, you're next. Go ahead.

HOWARD DEANE:

I guess in some sense is the putting together with ARIN I thought was quite powerful in some ways because ARIN was very new to me, the whole concept and so forth. But what I sense from it was that ARIN – well, it's an underlying importance, it's in the maintenance mode and they can keep going. But to me, the NARALO is it seemed out of the scope for change than the consumer trust. And to me, it was so much more scope within RALO and ALAC than it would be in ARIN, and that's coming from – I won't say naïve – but a limited view on what they will do.

But for me, it was starting to meet some people, see the personalities, see more where I can play, see more some of the issues are and tensions are, and from that, that's largely where I think I can learn some of those things and indicate where the issues are and what can be done.

Also, the fact that we had a chance to listen and talk a bit with Goran. I mean, that's impressive. And so, I like to say that. That face-to-face, getting to know people, see what they look like, see what they sound like and that I found was very, very powerful.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Howard.

Anyone else to give a comment?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, Glenn. I just want to again congratulate you, Judith, and everybody on the organization of the NARALO GA and particularly with regards to keeping all the proceedings documented fourth and previous, before and after the GA. And just to let you know that the transcript and recordings are posted, so you can download them and listen to them again. The quality is not quite perfect. As you know, we didn't have the ICANN facilities. However, the transcripts are okay, so please, if you want to check them out again, they are posted on the wiki and the action items are posted again, so there is a lot to follow up on. That's all. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Since you're on the phone or Adobe, Silvia, do you want to walk together through what's on the front screen? Because this is the legacy that's got to come out of our event. It's great for us to see each other but we have to have some action items. And, what we did is Leah and Judith did extensive collaborative notes and the notes were to try to

capture every segment of the session what is the priority for our community, what actions do we need and we had really good breakout sessions and those sections had tangible actions.

So, what we have in one of our guest speakers today is Dev, talking about the Onboarding Sessions that we'll be organizing in our information sessions on working groups. And, as you can see in the chart that we provided in the link is the chance for us to capture what is concerns for you educating and [inaudible] the policy issues, getting you involved with working groups, finding out what your interests are so that we can actually help you develop and grow within our community.

So, Javier, do you have a question or is that an old of hand? It might be an old hand. It's an old hand. It disappeared.

Everybody has an idea what we're trying to do with the action item because this is going to be something we're going to be tracking over the next number of months. We'll be doing sessions that hopefully will tie back and we're just really excited. So, again, I've said this before. This was an incredible collaboration of a lot of hard work. We documented all the logistics, what we learned when and it will be an extensive report that you can all read. But I wasn't possible without the cooperation of ICANN and the staff, and that was really quite appreciated what they did.

I can tell you from our perspective, Judith and I, we went back and try to find the documentation on past GAs and there was really nothing there to help us. I'm hoping who in the future – because obviously, we're not going to be doing the next one – whoever comes on to do the GAs in the

future, they will have a good roadmap to follow through with our presence or otherwise.

So, if there's no other comments or questions in the Q&A, I'm going to go right to Judith if you don't mind. Judith, would you mind talking about the Rules of Procedure?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. John Moore wasn't able to make the meeting today but he is working on doing the GA. He discussed his work on the Rules of Procedures. People sent him the comments and he was working on adding them into a collaborative document, which you will then post on a Google Doc.

But as we know, we had to review and rewrite all our current Rules of Procedures looking at how we can improve things, how we could describe different things, how we can describe what we meant by active status and not.

And so, we went about with the small committee looking at revising these rules and that's what we presented at the GA. We are still in the feedback mode, so if you saw what we had out there and you have some additional comments, please send them to us because he's adding them into a document and when he's finished, we'll put out another version on a Google Doc for everyone else to comment on.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Judith.

Any questions from anyone on the Rules of Procedures? Probably it's appropriate, Judith. Why are we doing this in the first place? What's the reason? Alan, I'll get you on one second. [Inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

We are doing this in the first place because when... Glenn and I noticed about a year ago when we were trying to decertify a bunch of ALSes that were no longer active or no longer [inaudible] to be part of NARALO and said, "Please take me off your list," we found that our Rules of Procedures haven't been revised. And there was a lot of things that we needed to make sure that we did that are [inaudible] so the things could be done correctly.

And so, which we took a look at [ours], we took a look at several of the other RALOs – APRALO, EURALO, LACRALO and others – and we took best practices from each, and that is how we sort of created the Rules of Procedures so we [inaudible] flexible and also, we could have an easier way if an ALS decide they didn't want to be part of NARALO anymore, an easier way of making that happen.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. And, as Judith has mentioned, we did look at others. And, as the Working Committee, we decided that we wanted not just short and sweet but we didn't want to have every single definitive action, so it is a [sink] document, it's very readable and John is doing a fantastic job and your input is much valued.

Can I turn to Alan, please, if there are questions on the Rules of Procedures?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I just want to make sure that there's a few of us who volunteered to be the Drafting Team to work with John. And, I hope we'll have an opportunity to look at the next draft before it goes out for full public comment.

I know from my case, I suggested a very large number of changes in the last version and I haven't gotten the message from saying, "So, there's another one to look at to do the next checkpoint." But I'd like to make sure that does happen somewhere along the way.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Alan.

Judith, can you respond to that? That's a tangible [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. Alan, John has gotten all your changes. He's just working through them all. Before we go out in the main community again, he'll give a small team a chance to review and I know he's talked about Glenn and I reviewing them with him afterwards just to make sure that he [inaudible] all the nuances.

And then, we'll check back in with you guys and before we put out to everyone, we will then make sure that people have a chance to review it carefully. I hope that answers your question.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I believe that [inaudible] is actually stating that as well. So, yes, [both] with everybody. Clearly, we'll be doing a call like we did the last time. We'll set up the doodle for that. So, as an action system, Silvia, we'll make sure we're communicating with everybody that everybody has the chance to give feedback on the most current draft.

Just moving along in the agenda, Alan, did you have another comment?

ALAN GREENBERG:

No. Sorry, old hand.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. Folks, so the next page is because of time, I'm just going to give you the link. This is now we try to track stuff that we're doing whether they are in closure or not, just a work in progress. It's just to be transparent with you on what our Secretary reports are and what we're doing. And just for the record, that is a link to anything that we're doing. Some finished, some not.

The second item in our agenda in communication back to our fantastic newsletter that Eduardo does. Eduardo, would you like to comment on the newsletter?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Just I'm looking for somebody to take cover that in a few months. I'm planning to do this for the rest of the year but I need to find somebody to take cover this by the end of the year. So, whoever wants to volunteer, come work with me and I can show you how easy it's done. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. And you do this in Constant Contact. Is that correct?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Constant Contact – the account was provided by ICANN, so it doesn't cost NARALO anything. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. If I recall, Matthew expressed interested in participating, so we will have to follow-up on Matthew but if there's anyone else here on the call today, don't be shy, step up and even if you want to do a section, we can mentor you along. And Eduardo, I'll be happy to do a section in the next newsletters as well.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: So, moving along on the agenda is the election. So, Judith, I'm sorry to prevail upon you again but if you can walk through the timelines.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much. Yes. So, we launched the elections a bit early this year mostly because we wanted to launch it at the GA. And so, they were open for more than three days that we have available. So, we launched them on April 5th and the nomination period ends on May 12th. After May 12th, there's a week deadline where the nominations have to be accepted. And then, after that, we look at whether we have some contested elections and whether we have elections that are not contested. And for the ones that are not contested, we probably going to do an affirmation of the choice. And for the ones that are contested, we're going to have a vote and then we will also have a "get to know your candidates" forum for the contested election so that you can learn who the candidates are and what their issues are, and what they're planning to do.

As you see on the screen, we have four slots. We have the Chair and we have a Secretariat, and both of those so far I have not looked exactly today but beforehand they were both non-contested. So, if people want to run for that, they are available.

And then, there's a slot for the ALAC member and we have two candidates so far, John Laprise and Seth Reiss, and both are interested in running and both have put in their nominee statement and their SOIs. And then, for the NomCom slot, we have one available and it's myself and Leah, and both of us have put in our nominee statement or SOIs.

And, those are the two spots. So, those are the four positions that are available. Again they are open for nominations until May 12. That would be this Friday.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Great, thank you. Great summary, Judith. Any questions for Judith on the process or anything at all about the election? Looking for anyone – there's nobody's hand coming up at all. Did Staff have any questions or comments on the election?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Do we have any questions on Adigo?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

No, does not look like we have anything, Judith. Thank you so much. Okay. Going to move along and Alan, I have you on the agenda item and we've had this item's review. We did appeal to the community to give a comment. There was two sets of comments – one from the At-Large and one from the RALO leaders. I want to turn to Alan to give an overview on what the status is.

ALAN GREENBERG:

The status is the final report has been posted. There are a number of changes from that last draft that we saw, but not a lot. We're now going to be starting the process on which we comment on the review to the Operational Effectiveness Committee of the Board. That is due

sometime in the September timeframe so we have several months. That's where we're going from now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Are you optimistic, Alan, that they will actually take our comment seriously? Because the last version they seemed to not really do that, so just want to [inaudible] –

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, who's the "they" you're talking about? It is out of the hands of the Review Team now. They have published their final report. Presumably they have been paid by ICANN and their job is done. The next comment goes from us from the working party and the ALAC to the Board – the Board subcommittee that is in charge of reviews. So at this point, yes, I'm optimistic. If you look at the only other example we have in recent history – that of the GNSO Review where they accepted some recommendations, rejected others, and the Board fully accepted the recommendations of the GNSO.

I'm optimistic the same will happen with us, but I have no special knowledge or control. I think one of our challenges at this point is to – where we're not accepting recommendations is to identify the parts of the recommendations that had some value even if we didn't think the overall recommendation had value and make sure to capitalize on that kind of input.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: All right. Anybody have any questions for Alan before we move on? Thank you, Alan. Just my quick question: in comparison to the last At-Large Review, the Westlake report, any general comments in comparing the two documents?

ALAN GREENBERG: Not really. The process was so completely different. The focus was different. You might recall or even if you don't recall, the Board received the Westlake report and essentially said, "We cannot act upon it," and chartered its own review committee to create a new report. Part of which was based on the Westlake report, part of which wasn't. So what we implemented in fact was not the Westlake report. Despite the focus of the ITEMS Group on the Westlake report, it was simply an input into the final recommendations that were made. This time, that will not happen. Essentially, instead of the Board chartering a committee, our working party will be the next phase in the process.

So we have much more control over our own future than we did in the last case to say what parts of the report we think are good and what parts we think are not. As I said, it remains to be seen exactly what the results are but I'm optimistic that if we put together a good rationale for accepting or not accepting recommendations, that hopefully they will be followed.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Alan. And thank you again for all your hard work on this. It's well appreciated.

Folks, I want to move on to Outreach and Engagement. Just as a preamble, one of our major outreach engagements that we all were actively involved in. We had an At-Large table at the event and there is pictures of people at the table engaging the ARIN community. People like many of you and I can't remember everybody that made questions, like for example Susannah Gray, she spoke at the mic. There's so many of us that got up there and asked valid, good questions during the public consultation at ARIN. But it was the interaction and I recall that Eduardo wasn't happy just sitting at the table. He got up when there was a coffee break and made sure everybody got a NARALO card.

So there was a real great camaraderie of people putting their timeslots in. We had timeslots during each of the breaks, during lunch, and then we interacted with ARIN at their socials as well. I think we had a huge impact.

In terms of results, I haven't seen a spike with people coming back and saying, "Yes, we want to join NARALO." This is going to take time. We need to continue nurturing that relationship. I think they're a little bit more receptive after meeting us all and seeing the value.

I had dinner with Judith, with Goran, and Richard [Jimmerson], and he leaned over to Judith and I and said, "What's the synergy here? What can we do together?" And we asked Javier – and you'll see it in the report – to summarize that synergy and why it's such an important relationship. And I think we're putting a lot of pressure on the other RALOs on maximizing that RIR relationship. It's just not asking for money or participating, it's actually being active. So I think AFRALO's actually going to step up on the AC for ARIN, and going to lean on Javier.

Javier, do you have any comments at all on the synergy between the two groups? I know you made us the same comment on that.

JAVIER RUA-JOVET:

Yes. It's what I said – well just to start with, a lot of people didn't know NARALO existed at one level. They were, "Who are these people here?" That's on one level. On the other level, it's just learning from each other. In a way, I found it very interesting to look at ARIN's take on the decision-making process and the way they run – their view of multi-stakeholders. I found it very efficient. I thought it was meaningful and I think we have a lot to learn from that at ICANN. I think Evan made a comment to this effect also in terms of looking at ARIN's process and what we can learn. As I said before, we learned from everybody. We learned stuff.

ARIN, I think, is grateful that we evangelized now – in terms of ARIN because now we can tell our people and our stakeholders what ARIN is and does a little bit better. We understand it a little bit better. So that's it. We can make many, many comments. The report as Glenn mentioned is going to come out. I think there's some good comments made in there in more detail.

But it was a good team effort and I think it's a no-brainer to try and replicate this as much as possible because of the critical mass. And NARALO did [inaudible] by itself would be good, but it wouldn't be as significant in terms of size. Evidently in terms of power to get people there. And of course as I said before, the significance of the networking when you have something like ARIN or – it's awesome the way you can

get very high level people to the meeting and get engaged. So a lot can be said that probably will come out.

But I think as Glenn says, I think that EURALO and Olivier are looking at this to see what they can do with their rights over there and to get maybe an MoU like the one we have over here with ARIN. The MoU is really an excuse to do it. As Glenn told me, that MoU has been in place for a long time, but now is the first time that it's having some important results, some operational results.

I think a splash was made and as Glenn said, people are going to try to emulate it. It's a good thing that it was very, very well documented. There's a bunch of pictures, there's a bunch of papers, a bunch of documents, a big paper trail that was left about this General Assembly. So if anybody wants to do a reverse engineering of it, they can just look at the record and try to replicate. So it was a great job and again, kudos to Glenn and the team. Kudos to everybody because everybody worked hard, but everybody had fun so it didn't seem like a lot of work even though a lot of work happened. That's it. Thanks again. Bye.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. I think that segues into Eduardo's comment and Wes's comments in the chat. There is an ARIN on the Road in August and this was actually – this is not the first time they did ARIN on the Road. These efforts by the team with ISOC Puerto Rico to reach out and do an ARIN on the Road – I think it's all part of that Outreach and Engagement and on-going relationship. As Javier had said, it's not a one-time hit. This is a major strategy for us.

Why have an MoU if we don't do something? Eduardo, did you want to speak about the ARIN on the Road and what serious Outreach and Engagement – because it's going to lead right up to the North American School of Internet Governance, so over to you Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn. The ARIN on the Road event is part of some events that we have planned last year and we're doing throughout this year for gearing up to the ICANN61 in March. We started in fairly with a small event where we just talked about the Internet ecosystem, and we focused on the ICANN and ISOC – I mean the IGF. Now we're doing a series of what we call "roundtables". They're going to be running throughout the year to start talking about issues that have to do with Internet governance, the ecosystems, and we're going to talk about ICANN issues towards the end.

Then we have this ARIN on the Road in August. In October we have an Internet Day, which we will probably again, we're going to start expanding on the Internet ecosystems. And then we have another one in February next year which we want to focus in the coming up ICANN meeting and the North American School of Internet Governance. So that's what we have planned since last year and it's going well.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. I think we have a question from Alan. Go ahead, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, thank you. I just want to follow up on Javier's comment. I really should have made it when we were talking formally about the GA. We had an impressive meeting in terms of people coming into the ARIN meeting and learning about ARIN. Now, ARIN's a lot simpler space than ICANN is. And with the whole concept of the numbers and allocation, it's a lot more complex than names.

But nevertheless, I think we have to try to learn from what we saw there and how we did it. So that the next time we have a GA or a Summit at an ICANN meeting, that we try to make sure that the people come away from that meeting really, really better understanding ICANN and the ICANN processes just like we did with the ARIN meetings. And I'm not quite sure how to do that, but I think it's one of our challenges to make sure that the Summits that are held at ICANN meetings are as effective as this one was. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Alan. That's really prudent, what you've said. Folks, I just wanted to point out that this Outreach and Engagement strategy that we're talking about now, it goes back to our obligation of a CROP strategic plan. It's not due yet – we start our new CROP of trip starting in July, but the draft form is for you to comment. If I can ask you just to post it in the chat box.

So the strategic plan Alfredo is working on for NARALO, but the Outreach Strategy plan is we're expecting feedback. We hope to have the plan actually presented at our next, next meeting in total. So please give your comments. Who should we be talking to, who should be on

the list, who should we be reaching out to, what is our gap analysis? I just want to turn to Dev. I'm not sure if Dev has any slides but if not, Dev please go ahead.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Glenn. And indeed, I do have some slides so while it's loading I'll start talking because I know you all have a packed agenda. So thanks for allowing me to be on this call.

Part of the work that the Outreach and Engagement Working Group has been working on is being involved in Community Onboarding project that's happening in the DPRD which is the group that runs the Fellowship and NextGen program. They've been looking at a program that is looking to onboard persons to the various ACs and ASOs. The Outreach and Engagement and in particular two key volunteers, Beran Gillen and Isaac Maposa, have been working to try to develop a proper community onboarding approach.

So just to go through the slides very quickly – the way we try to conceive of this is kind of like a circle of life here. We promote At-Large. We get people to understand At-Large. They join At-Large. They become more engaged, and then those engaged persons can then start promoting At-Large. One of the challenges to really promote At-Large, you have lots of word acronyms – TLDs, ccTLDs, gTLDs. We can generate multiple slides for this. They have lots of terminology that are being bandied about in ICANN meetings and at ICANN At-Large discussions. What do these things mean? What are these relationships? And the things we're thinking is that well – the target audience which we are

trying to reach – end users, academia, consumer groups enthusiasts, members of all existing At-Large Structures that are already part of the ICANN At-Large community don't have an understanding of what these terms mean, and then have misconceptions of what these terms mean.

Therefore there's no appreciation of why you should care about these issues. So we sort of need to really develop a series of ordered lessons or presentations that could be a toolkit for the community members in educating the wider public, to educate it for At-Large Structure representatives, to educate members in their organization, to get persons in their organization more involved, and make it available online and offline. So especially for those persons that don't have high bandwidth, part of this could be available on a USB stick, for example.

We're trying to work now, and we're trying to come up with several different slide presentations on these things. We have conceived of five different ones so far. A starter one which provides a tailor-set of topics slides depending on the audience, "What is the DNS and who coordinates it," which is kind of like the introduction to what is the DNS. Policy challenges, issues in the DNS to educate what are the At-Large issues. Policy issues, that's what the ICANN At-Large community is working on. An introduction to ICANN At-Large itself, talking about what the At-Large community is about and how to engage with the At-Large community. Then, navigating At-Large.

We have links to four of those things, and the first one we're conceiving of is the navigating At-Large. Where we're trying to target it to our existing members to say "how do you deal with the" – well I guess I would describe it as the organizational challenges and operational

challenges of being in At-Large. How you keep track of events, how you do use Adobe Connect, those types of things.

So I'll just quickly just show some of the pictures from the slides that we're working on. For example, here's our landing page concept. We're trying to present – identify yourself as what type of target audience you are, then link to a set of, a sort of path where you have to follow in terms of what you can read next. “What is the DNS,” we try to find a lot of illustrations and try to really explain at the simple level how the DNS works and what is this ICANN all about.

The policy issues in the DNS, that's kind of an interactive slide so that it's like a main menu. [I do have I think control]. So we could look at the see if policy issues, you click on it, you see a policy summary explaining what the policy issue is, a link to related videos, and then another slide explaining why should end users care. Then a third slide explaining what was At-Large involvement in this issue. Past statements, what working groups do we need to be involved in, and so forth. And the fourth slide is like – here's some of the excerpts from our introduction to At-Large.

We'll then be refining different presentation slides based on our work with Outreach and Engagement for the NextGen at ICANN face-to-face meetings over the past year. We show the various – the map, the key At-Large activities, the working groups. If you have a particular interest, these are the working groups that you need to be involved in, and a preliminary thing on how to engage with At-Large.

So we very want to get some feedback and some suggestions on how to improve these documents. The link for all of these documents can be

found at, well – this link here At-Large Community Onboarding. We welcome your feedback, your comments, and your approach because we’re trying to make this a useful tool for all of the At-Large community including NARALO. Alright, I think I can stop there and take any questions.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. That was fast and sweet. I see Beran is here. I just wanted to give her an opportunity to add anything as well. Beran? Do you have anything to say? Or do you not have audio? Okay. I’m not hearing Beran. If she wants to type, that’s good.

Okay. Any questions for Dev? Okay. I have one question for you Dev. Where do we go from here with this material? How does our community utilize this material? What do you suggest we do? And as part of our action items coming out of the GA, what would you recommend us doing?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks Glenn. I think the first thing is to get feedback on these documents. You can go to the link there and make your comments or suggestions there on the wiki. I will say also get involved in the Outreach and Engagement Working Group which is really looking at this and all of the Outreach and Engagement challenges in At-Large. If you want to get involved in it and this is something you’re interested in, please join the Outreach and Engagement Working Group.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Dev. Judith, go ahead please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks Dev. It looks like really great presentations. I also, as posted on the chat, I sat in on some of the amazing works that APRALO did in Hyderabad explaining many of these issues. DNS, what is an RIR, what is ICANN. And I think it would be great if you could blend all that work that they did in those amazing sessions they did in teaching the ALSes who came for that meeting. If you can blend some of that stuff into what you have and everybody could be working together and collaborating, I think that would be great. Because everyone just reinvents the whole wheel and there really is no need for that. It would be great if we all could work together.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. I see Beran's got here hand up. Go ahead Beran.

BERAN GILLEN: Okay. Hi Glenn. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I can. Nice to hear you.

BERAN GILLEN: Okay. Excellent. I just wanted to agree with what Judith has said. I think this was a [part] in the leadership call that we had earlier today. We do plan to drop in on all the RALO meetings. Judith, we do take note and

we will be attending the APRALO meeting sometime I believe either next week or so. So we can board and hopefully bring all the onboarding materials all together. And Glenn, just to sort of answer your question about where we're headed with this. We're hoping one-stop shops for newcomers and ALSes and people that are coming in from other communities into At-Large.

One place that they can be able to go to some sort of a regimen or some sort of a toolkit or training, be it through ICANN Learn, be it through PDF, be it through PowerPoint, to be able to basically understand At-Large and be able to join At-Large and participate and hopefully get to the level of a leadership position. That's what I wanted to add. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. For those who were having a hard time hearing Beran, she basically reiterated what Dev was saying and she acknowledged Judith's suggestion of the session they did in Hyderabad. Again, she's saying this material is meant to be a toolkit. It's a one-stop shopping location. Feel free to [inaudible] if you feel that it's missing a bunch of stuff. My own comment back to Dev was that we need three-minute little short video clips that we'll be doing. We'll be doing it together in Johannesburg on policy issues.

If there's any suggestions that you think we should be improving this material – and I'd like to acknowledge the fantastic work the team has done. The third person in the team, I believe, is Isaac. The three of you, is that right Dev? That worked on this material?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, that is correct. So we really worked very hard to – started work completing at the Hyderabad meeting up to Copenhagen, and now we’re looking to really finalize a lot of these materials in time for the Johannesburg. We need your inputs now to really improve on this. I think Heidi has her hand up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Yes, thank you, everyone. Again, I just want to say congratulations – this was a great start. But also I’m going to mention it again as I did on the Regional Leadership call earlier today, is that if we could perhaps make sure that all of the work across ICANN, across At-Large – whether it be within the RALOs, and I am aware that other RALOs are doing individual onboarding plans across the ALAC, across the working groups, across Staff. At-Large Staff have a program that we are just relaunching for welcoming new At-Large Structures and individuals. So again just communicate, collaborate. I think that’s so key for this. And Beran mentioned ICANN Learn.

All of this could be put into a course for onboarding across the regions. We could do translations. We could have podcasts where they’re spoken in different languages as well. And also just as I mentioned earlier, the Academy Working Group, a couple of years ago, they were

already talking about the stakeholder journey, which Dev mentioned earlier about what, really, the origin of this is.

Again, that might be a way to get all of the ACs and SOs coordinating and communicating and collaborating on their onboarding. There might be best practices that are being learned and that can be adapted to the others. But I think that my little concern is that all of these activities are going on for onboarding and there will be a lot of duplication, and then that leads to frustration and micro protectiveness. So I think, again, just coordinate and communicate. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Heidi. We changed our agenda a little bit to squeeze in a session and I do apologize to Alan to do a summary on the forthcoming policy statements. I'd just like to give 30 seconds to Eduardo, if there's any quick update on NomCom that he'd like to share. Then our time is complete. So Eduardo, anything on NomCom?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes. We have been working in the past months – two months. I think it's laid out [eventually] we were going to be discussing in Johannesburg. So we are almost done there and it's looking good. That's what I can say. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. Folks, I apologize. We did as usual. We had too much for a one-hour meeting. We had a great attendance – we've had 19 attendees today. For such a small RALO our attendance is great. I'm

hoping we can get the enthusiasm of our GA and take us through the rest of the year and pick up the ball on our policy statements. That's our wish. Please look at the action items, comment on anything you saw today.

But again, we appreciate it. Again, just my last comment – if you are interested in running for any position, please think about it. You've got a couple of days, not too many days left. But if you are thinking of popping your name in, do consider it and we look forward to chatting in next time. Bye, everybody.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thanks, everyone. Bye-bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you all. Bye all.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: This meeting is now adjourned. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]