
GISELLA GRUBER:

Good afternoon and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement call on Thursday the 30th of March at 15:00 UTC.

On today's call on the English channel we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Glenn McKnight, Yrjö Länsipuro, John Laprise, Wolf Ludwig. Vanda Scartezini will be joining us 30 minutes late, and Isaac Maposa has just joined us on the English channel as well.

We don't have anyone on the Spanish channel for now.

On the French channel we have Pascal Bekono.

Apologies noted from Javier Rúa-Jovet, Seun Ojedeji, Aris Ignacio, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, and Alan Greenberg.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Siranush Vardanyan, and Deborah Escalera, as well as myself, Gisella Gruber.

We have Spanish and French interpretation today. On the Spanish channel we have Veronica and Claudia and on the French channel we have Isabelle.

If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking not only for transcript purposes but also to allow the interpreters to identify you on the other language channels.

Thank you very much and apologies – we also have Jacques as our French interpreter, so we have Isabelle and Jacques.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

And over to you, Dev Anand. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much, Gisella. Welcome everyone to the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement. We do have a packed agenda for this call, hence [inaudible] for 90 minutes. So what we'll be looking at is having a report on the outreach at ICANN58. There were two events happening. One was a joint EURALO-NCUC event and there was also At-Large session on Wednesday so we just want to get some reporting on that hopefully from either Olivier and/or other persons that were there at the ICANN58.

Then we'll look at the ICANN58 booth report. This is actually probably the first time that we've seen a report actually [piled] by the two booth leads who manned the booth at ICANN58. So we just want to spend some time just to review that report and perhaps come up with possible improvements.

We'll also look at the community onboarding documents that were presented at the ICANN58 Community Onboarding Program. Isaac Maposa was there and Beran were participating remotely.

The next thing we want to discuss is what are we going to do for ICANN59 in Johannesburg? Followed [with] is the ALS engagement proposal that's been circulated amongst the ALAC. I just thought it would be appropriate to have a look at this document and see what's – [how] our synergies and making such an engagement plan happen and also a look an update, on our outreach proposal for the IGF, or a more a reminder of [there's] some upcoming deadlines for the IGF.

And then I'll probably just quickly review, if time permits, some ideas for the Stakeholder Analysis Tool.

Okay. So there's quite a packed agenda. Any comments or any additions to the agenda?

Okay. So one of the things we want to look at is a report on the outreach at ICANN58. There was a joint EURALO-NCUC event that was really coordinated thanks to the work by Olivier talking to the NCUC persons and putting together this outreach event. So perhaps, Olivier, you could probably take the floor just to give a summary report on what happened.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Dev. Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. We can hear you. Go right ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Clearly, okay.

Yes, indeed. There was a joint NCUC-EURALO outreach event that took place on the Saturday at the very beginning of the week. We had concerns that many of the Fellows and of our potential customers or shall I say target people had not made it yet because that was the day when they were all arriving, but in fact our fears were unfounded. The event was very, very, well attended. In fact, there was not enough seats

in the room and people were standing around and there were even people apparently queueing up outside. So we had in excess of 100 people and the outreach went very well. We went through the differences between NCUC and At-Large and EURALO, and the different component parts. And then we had a topical discussion on many of the current policy processes taking place at ICANN.

The feedback that we've had was very positive. I've had people come to me afterwards and said, "Hey, this is just so much more fun and so much more interesting than some of the other updates that we get which are quite a totally different style." So it's something that we might wish to consider repeating in the future and we managed to distribute a lot of brochures there as well. Thankfully Glenn was there and he was very active in promoting the brochures and we had Sebastien Bachollet who was also there. And unfortunately, of course, the session took place at the same time as an ALAC session so we didn't have too many ALAC people.

But I think it was good in a way because that gave more space for newcomers and for people who were interested to take part in the discussions to be in the room. So I guess in any future such event if we have one, we should ask for a slightly larger room and perhaps think of not doing it on the Saturday or on the very day minus one or day minus two – I lose track now of what day these things are – but make sure that the Fellows and that the NextGen are already in the location by the time we do this joint session.

If there are any questions, I'm happy to answer them. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. That sounds fantastic. I see that Glenn has posted some pictures, a link to some of the pictures taken at the event. Any other questions or comments?

Okay, just one question [that will be] my question. Is there a need for any specific material in terms of... or for At-Large to [inaudible] such potential persons to join At-Large? For example, is our brochure enough is probably my key question. I don't know if anybody has any feedback on that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Dev, I can just say we had enough brochures thankfully, so these were very helpful. We also had those little business cards that ICANN printed for us so we could also give those in. One of the problems perhaps is the fact that many of the people that come in as Fellows are not representing an organization as such. They are there as individuals so I guess we have to target both individuals and potential At-Large Structures. But I have recognized that the signing up an At-Large Structure is sometimes not just the point of the person sitting in the room. They have to bring this back to their organization and even the same as in the past we've had people that were interested that took the documentation home and some of them took more than one brochure. They took two or three or four so that they can talk about with their colleagues back home and we might see applications in the future.

It's interesting that we didn't only have people from the European region, we actually had people from all the regions that came over

because the topics that we discussed were really topics that were interesting for everyone. So the session didn't only benefit EURALO but I'm sure it will have benefited all of the RALOs. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Excellent. Okay. Thanks for that.

Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, hi. Noting that – just the last point that Olivier was talking about – it was titled “EURALO-NCUC event,” so my default there was more of an onus on EURALO, to At-Large in general. I actually didn't talk to anyone from my own region, from North America, but if you look at the pictures I know it's going to take a while to drill down. I can send you actual pictures of the room. The room was absolutely packed. But there wasn't a lot of At-Large people there. Besides myself and Sebastien and Olivier and Avri does dual jobs – she does the NCUC plus the ISOC New York – but generally speaking it was more NCUC people than EURALO people – sorry I forgot [Max] and his dad as well – but I think first of all Olivier and [inaudible] did a fantastic job. They're engaging and they try to encourage questions from the floor. But I think the critical point that we have here is – and this is where Sebastien sort of made a sort of a strange comment about that we're selling and that we're recruiting which sort of got misinterpreted a little bit but I think it got back on track because one of the topics of what is the difference as opposed to what is our similarities? So perhaps we need to tighten that up a little

tad in the process of – sorry, Wolf. I didn't see you. You were probably at the back of the room.

Okay. So great event. Olivier, thank you for doing it and I think it's something we should do in Johannesburg. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, then Olivier, then I think I'm not sure who else wanted to be in the queue?

Okay, Daniel. Okay Olivier first then Daniel.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Dev. Indeed yes, Wolf was also in the room. But as I said, all the other ALAC had that session that took place at the same time so we might wish to have no session conflicting with the outreach session [such] we could even have maybe the Chair of At-Large coming down and saying a few words and so on. But it was good to have Sebastien as someone who's been around for a very long time and who has all the knowledge of so many processes.

One of the things which I was very impressed with when it comes down to NCUC was whilst we were discussing policy topics, they then at the end of the discussions said, "Okay, so if anybody is interested in joining NCUC, if you're interested in this policy topic go and speak to this person. If you're interested in that policy topic, go and speak to that person," and those people put their hand up or stood up. So it was really a case of people being able to talk about a specific thing rather than saying, "I want to join." And I think that's a really excellent hook.

By contrast, what we do is to say, “If you’re interested just e-mail staff@atlarge.icann.org or speak to any of us, and when the newcomers or interested people speak to us then it’s, “Okay, well go on the website. Check out the application form or e-mail staff@atlarge.icann.org.” I think that they’ve got a better hook than we do and if we could actually assign outreach policy topic people – mentors I guess in a way or chief mentors or I don’t know what we would call them – and have them in the room at the time, then we would be able to maybe get immediate interest right away because it would put a face to the names and to the people in charge of specific topics. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Olivier. I think actually that’s an interesting idea. I guess this also ties into what you call Subject Matter Experts or something where we – and especially for those that are attending the face-to-face meetings – we identify those persons beforehand and link them up. So if we were talking about the new gTLD Subsequent Procedures, the auction procedures, we can point to a few of the persons there that are involved in those discussions or those policy issues. I think that’s a good idea.

Sorry Daniel. Go ahead.

DANIEL [NANGHAKA]: Thanks very much, Dev. [I think] based on the success of the outreach that took place in Copenhagen, I think that we should start planning something similar for Johannesburg. And also [incorporating] what

AFRALO is going to do towards outreach and engagement and [inaudible] to be able to put our hands strongly towards organizing such outreach and engagement because this will help us to break the disconnect of the [Outreach] and Engagement Working Group [together] with what the different RALOs are doing. Because due to the fact that we organized a successful event in Copenhagen gives us a very [inaudible] so every outreach and engagement activity should at least involve the working of the co-Chairs within the working group. Thank you. Back to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Daniel. [I'll just see that] is coming up on our agenda item for what we should do for ICANN59.

Any other reporting on outreach at ICANN58? I know there was an ICANN session on Wednesday about end users. Was there any similar outcomes that happened at that session?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Did we lose you, Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Are you hearing me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm not hearing any response from anyone. Maybe repeat it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So I know there was a ICANN session on Wednesday put on by At-Large as a sort of outreach, and we identified persons to try to get persons on NextGen to attend that high interest session –

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Are you talking about the EURALO topical discussion? Is that what you're referring to?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. On Wednesday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That was Olivier who led that one so perhaps he can speak to that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Dev. Indeed we had a session which was not a session talking about what EURALO does or what At-Large does, but actually a

roundtable discussion on policy topics that was centered on the end user component. So we had people from various parts of ICANN that spoke about the different topics and it was quite well-attended as well. I think that a lot of people learned a lot of things and the feedback that I got from that as well was, “Hey, it’s great to be able to talk policy which sometimes lacks a little bit in our processes, especially at the moment when we’ve just had so much to do with the At-Large Review and all of the stuff that’s sort of thrown us to the side.”

So yeah. I would recommend that we have something like that in the future as well, just a discussion about end users and how the current policy development work and policy advice work affects end users. It was good because it was a roundtable – so a U-shaped. It was the ALAC [room] so it was U-shaped and we managed to get a lot of the people from the newcomers and others to actually sit at the table as well and which got them to ask a lot of questions and even make some points themselves as well. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Olivier. And I remember tuning in to that remotely and I thought it was a very good policy discussion and it was good also to see some interested questions from newcomers at that session. So that I think was also good. And I think perhaps also should also be duplicated for future ICANN face-to-face meetings.

Okay. Any comments, questions, observations, on the outreach efforts at ICANN58?

Going once.

Okay. The next item on the agenda is the ICANN58 booth report. Glenn got this booth report and wanted to share some observations on the report that was apparently done by I believe I guess the booth leads, the ICANN58.

So Glenn, can you take the floor?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sure can. Hey, folks. I cannot pronounce the second person's name but [inaudible] is the first person and [inaudible] and I'm sorry I can't pronounce her last name. If anybody can do it, go right ahead.

Great report in many ways but I have a couple of observations. What was lacking in the report is the information about our volunteers that actually participated. Heidi probably has a better handle on the names of people who signed up. Personally I volunteered at least three times. I know that Sarah did and so did Tijani and I'm sure other people as well. So we did participate and sadly, the first session I was at which was 8:30 in the morning our brochures were hidden and they didn't have them out. So that was a bit unfortunate. And then each time I went back, a lot of times they were missing as well. So I really don't know how many brochures actually were handed out but at the end of the day when we gathered them up with Olivier, there was a lot left.

So I'm not sure if we succeeded in doing outreach. It doesn't show it in the report. There's apparently 360 people visited the booth. About 17% of the people were self-identified with our community so I don't know if those people by the volunteers at the booth – and there was a lot of people at the booth – that they were referred. So I don't know if there

was a lead list generated but were largely absent in this report. It's unfortunate and I'm not sure if we have to do a better job with those volunteers, the Fellows, so they understand who we are a little bit better but I think there's aspects of this is that it's like a big advertising sign in the forest. Nobody sees it so you get no customers.

So perhaps we need to have a point person – just like that EURALO-NCUC meeting – that they're engaged with one of us in our community that we're responsible. So I just want to ask Heidi, did you maintain the list of who was the volunteer for the volunteer list for the booth?

I don't know if Heidi catches it. Maybe it's an open question to anybody else in the room that actually volunteered. So back to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks. I think it sounded like Gisella was about to say something.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes. Sorry, Dev. Just to say that with regards to the booth, the EURALO [inaudible], Silvia Vivanco was dealing with the sign-up sheets for that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: People may have signed up but they may have not showed up. So back to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks. I see there's a queue and I'll put it here. Olivier first and then John.

Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. Yes indeed. There were a lot of brochures that were brought to the booth. I don't have numbers but I think it's in excess of 150,000 but the few times when I went to the booth the brochures were actually on the right-hand side of the booth and they covered the complete table to start with, but that was the first day and we had the brochures in French and English. We had brochures in German and we had brochures in Russian as well. It took quite a lot of space.

When I went there, the whole booth was just filled with these returning Fellows so it looks like they had a team that was supposed to stay there during the whole length of the meeting or rotate during the whole length of the meeting so it was always a very busy booth. On the few times that I went and passed by, on one occasion – so for those people that didn't go there, there was like a high table on the right-hand side and there was a low table on the left-hand side and some boards at the back and they put a map in the middle for people to put a little sticker as to where they came from, and in fact I think you can see all these pictures in the report – but the thing that I did notice, we had a EURALO banner that was too large to fit in the booth so it went outside the booth to the left-hand side and then apparently...so two days later I passed by the booth and I couldn't find the EURALO banner. I said, "Wait a minute. What's going on?" And that was tucked over the back.

So I complained to the people that were there and they were very apologetic. They said they had had to move the booth a couple of meters or something because it was in the way of something else and they'd moved it to the back and they'd forgotten to put it back to the front. So I pulled the EURALO banner back to the front.

When it comes down to their brochures, you might have seen that we have actually not given that many out but we had left such a huge stack of them over there, I think that we must have gotten quite a few of these distributed. There only [goes] so much that you can distribute when you've already given so many brochures and we'd already given so many brochures to so many of the Fellow, newcomers when they were sitting around the table in the joint EURALO-NCUC thing. So I think we did it quite well considering we had in excess of 500 brochures printed or maybe even more. It was quite a stack of them that we had.

I gave some of the business cards to some of the Fellows that were handling the booth and so they gave some around, and I also gave some to some of our people who were sitting there. And on a number of occasions I went there were quite a few people from LACRALO that were sitting around the table. There were people moving in and out. I don't know if you know Krishna – he's on one of the pictures – he's actually active in APRALO I understand and he was very active in also pushing At-Large, so I wouldn't paint such a negative picture about the booth. I think maybe we could have done better.

I don't think that people sign up in advance because the very nature of an ICANN meeting is such that it has to flow, and I think it's hard for people to commit at a specific time especially since our room was at the

end of the world. So for coffee even and so on you had to walk a good five minutes to get there or even more than five minutes. To get to the booth you had to walk a good 10 minutes. By that time the break is nearly finished and so they would have missed most of the break time at which we wanted to have people there.

The lunches were a bit longer. So at any time when I went there I think that only on a couple of occasions did I not see someone from At-Large either sticking around or sitting on the table or discussing things with people. That's it. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. Sorry, I was on mute there. Thanks, Olivier.

John?

JOHN LAPRISE: Thank you. I just would like to add that [these were] rather small marketing requests, but as a standard part of the packet for wherever we represent we should have – I don't know if you're familiar with a badge ribbon that you see at other conferences – identifying someone as an At-Large member, identifying someone as a RALO member, identifying themselves as someone they can ask about At-Large. So that way, every At-Large member at every conference can be an Ambassador. That's what we need. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, John. That does sound like a good idea – some sort of ribbon or something that identifies them as a person in At-Large.

Deborah? You may be muted, Deborah Escalera. You may be muted. We're still not hearing you, Deborah. Okay. Perhaps staff could seek to see as to what the technical challenge is there that Deborah's having.

Okay. Any other thoughts or comments on this? Obviously I did not see this booth. So I'm just relying on what the booth report is. I think it's actually a great idea that a report is being done so we have some idea what is happening and I think this could give us some ideas as to what we can do for other... synergies I would say. Do we need to put up a schedule and again, have those some of those At-Large badges or ribbons, if perhaps staff should bring those along so we could give it to every person and have those persons man the booth.

John, is that another hand? No, it's not.

Okay. I'll give one last chance. Deborah, are you able to speak now? Okay. If you sort out the technical difficulties, we could circle back to this agenda topic on this.

Okay. Seeing no other hands, let's move on to our next item on the agenda which was the summary of the community onboarding that was presented at ICANN58.

Just to refresh everyone's memory about this, the Community Onboarding Program that's being done by the ICANN DPRP – and I've forgotten what exactly what that acronym is right this second – but essentially that's the same group that helped to organize the

Fellowship, NextGen, and so forth. They have a program where they are looking to try to have a series of onboarding documents from all of the different ACs and SOs, so all the different constituencies, and supporting organization groups, in ICANN's multistakeholder community so that a person coming into ICANN can find their way across the ICANN labyrinth as to what group they feel they should belong to. So various persons are trying to come up with their own set of onboarding documents.

So let me just quickly just go through what our onboarding documents that we've done. I've just presented on the general approach for the community onboarding which talks about the onboarding process as a series of four stages. We promote At-Large, we then [leap] to persons to do outreach, we then show them what understand what is At-Large, they then join and then they become more engaged, and then those engaged persons can then help with At-Large which is also sort of completing the cycle.

One of the things that we've noted in trying to come up with this community onboarding was that we have so many acronyms – ICANN, DNS, IANA, CCWG – we kind of realized that it's especially our target audience being end users which don't necessarily have an understanding – well, they use the Internet but they don't really have a understanding of the underpinnings behind it – and therefore and because they don't understand the underpinnings behind these things such as the DNS, they really then don't have an appreciation of why they should be involved.

One of the things we tried to do was look at what is the DNS and the key policy issues of the At-Large community, and then the introduction to

the At-Large community. So I think Glenn has posted the link to all of these presentations.

The “What is the DNS?” slide is still very preliminary. You can take a look at it on the link on it on the agenda, and because in trying to find content it’s very surprising itself that ICANN itself doesn’t really have any such, I would say, easy to understand materials about what is the DNS. We have the root servers, we have the TLD servers, we have the recursive servers, but there’s no very simple explanation of this in any form. So [inaudible] and of course I’ll be happy to hear any suggestions or comments or links to such documents if they do exist. So we still have to do some work on that.

So the “Key Policy Issues” is something that I posted to the mailing list and what I’ve tried to do is to make this a sort of interactive presentation. There’s a main menu – and perhaps it’ll be good if actually the other presentation could be loaded up on the Adobe Connect room so I could show people – but essentially there’s a main menu of like in very colored boxes of all the policy issues that are of interest to the [At-Large] community, and each is [hyperlinked] so that you can jump to and see one slide as to what is the policy summary, the second slide being, “Why End Users Should Care,” and the third slide saying, “How At-Large Can Be Involved,” in relation to these policy issues. We have defined past comments on this policy issue and also relevant working groups.

For example, if you’re concerned about Post-IANA Transition issues, then the Evolution Working Group would be of interest, if you’re

interested in IDNs, the IDN Working Group, if you're interested in outreach and engagement, then this working group, and so forth.

And the third presentation one is the presentation on "Introduction to ICANN At-Large." This has also been very well-circulated and commented extensively on based on our work with the [inaudible] and presentations that we have done at the Helsinki and at Hyderabad, and we've refined those slides so that in 15 slides we can explain what is At-Large, the type of activities we do, and how you can be engaged.

That's the general sequence or [toolkit] that we have in mind. I know Isaac was there. Isaac, perhaps if you could take the floor. Were there any other interesting aspects of what the other communities presented that we could look at for our onboarding documents before I go to the queue?

Okay. I'm not really hearing Isaac. If you are able to speak, we're not hearing you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: He's typing.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Can staff work with just to see if so that what Isaac... to see so that he can be able to speak?

I see there's a hand raised. John?

JOHN LAPRISE: Thank you. I guess I want to speak from a pedagogy point of view because if we are engaged in education to a degree from what we've been saying, I want to make the point that not all learners learn by reading. We're writing off all the learners who learn by doing because they don't want to hear the rules, they just jump in and do something. We need to establish a path for people who don't learn by reading or watching presentations. They want to roll up their sleeves and dive right in. Because as it stands now, we're writing off all those people because we're focusing so much effort on developing a path for people who want to sit back and take a didactic [direction]. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, John. Let me ask a follow-up question then. How then to really document that path, as you say, for people to roll up their sleeves and jump in? Because that was the attempt for coming up with the second one – the “Key Policy Issues of the At-Large Community.” I don't know if you've had a chance to look at that but it was just [literally], “Here's the policy summary in one slide: ‘Why End Users Should Care’ and then the third slide is, ‘Where You Can Jump In,’” Do you have anything in particular in mind?

JOHN LAPRISE: Yes actually. Rather, what I would suggest is rather than a PowerPoint deck we should have essentially an online tool that says, “Okay, what are you interested in? What do you know? Here's where you can join in. This is a working group that you're interested in network neutrality.

Well, these are all working groups that touch on network neutrality. Pick one.”

We should have an easy way for people to walk through and be directed to groups that reflect their interests and that they want to engage with, and let them roll up their sleeves and dive right in.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSING: Okay. Alright. The idea behind the presentation, I should also mention –

HAROLD ARCOS: Dev, sorry for interrupting you. I would like to take the floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It’s Adigo.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Harold. Okay. I’ll put you in the queue.

Let me just reply to John. Just to mention also is that they Key Policy Issues also has links to videos as well that also tries to explain it. But the idea behind the presentation isn’t just meant just to be a presentation slide deck, it can be something that’s online so that –

JOHN LAPRISE: If I can intervene here – It doesn’t matter if it’s a video or it’s a slide deck. It’s a one-way interaction. It’s a one-way, didactic interaction and there are people who don’t want to learn that way. They want to

actually grab a wrench and start doing stuff. And when we force people: “Everyone, well you have to learn this before you go take steps forward,” you’re cutting out all the people who want to roll up their sleeves. And so we’re looking for education that’s two-way rather than one-way where people can get involved from the get-go. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Harold, go ahead.

HAROLD ARCOS: Can you hear me, Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. We can hear you, Harold. Go ahead.

HAROLD ARCOS: Okay. First of all, I would like to apologize because I am only connected to the phone and not on the AC. When it comes to John’s comment, I would like to say that recently in Guatemala there was an event and I was responsible for presenting a specific objective, and this is, “What is LACRALO and how to be an ALS.” And this was a presentation, and this was a one-way presentation and there was not enough room for spreading knowledge or applying this knowledge for the insight. It was not enough for the insight of people.

So at the end once I explained all the concepts, the meaning of the acronyms, the objectives, the geographical distributions that was

settled by ICANN, and once people learned about the acronyms – ALS and what an ALS is – I proposed a practical exercise for people to work in pairs and we connected ourselves to the At-Large web page – the new web page – and I would have to say I am very proud of this web page because it is very good and very colorful – and in that case, in that situation people were able to understand what At-Large is and how they can participate.

This event was carried out in Guatemala. So in that way, through this exercise, people were able to understand the concept and they were able to learn about the topics, they were able to see the public comments, they were able to understand the participation forums that we have, and I think that was very useful and people were quite thankful because they were able to interact with an online tool and they were able to approach and they were able to learn all the concepts that I had been explaining to them before, such as the concepts of an ALS and ICAN, etc. etc.

Now we will have an ISOC Chapter in Guatemala. So I believe that taking into account what John said, it is important to take into account and it's important to see how we can create and generate this interaction. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Harold. Again, I don't know if the recording was made of this event so perhaps you could share it with the group afterwards.

Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I just want to point out to people we're doing a NARALO GA next week and it's going to be in Adobe Connect, and John and Avri are going to be doing a session on policy so perhaps some of the methodologies that John will be engaging our ALSes [inaudible] in practice. So I'm looking forward to John's practical application of taking a topic that's pretty dry and boring and empowering our ALSes to say, "Hey, here's a chance for me to get involved and how can I get policy statements into the mix at ICANN?" So I'm looking forward to John's presentation. So I just want to share that if anybody wants to participate, it will be very early on Wednesday morning. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Glenn. And indeed I will look forward to that. Is it going to be recorded? Are these sessions of the NARALO GA being recorded? Are they going to be like Adobe Connect sessions like in [inaudible] participation?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, they will be. And the thing we're doing is we're trying to share our Best Practice with the community, so this is going to be in Adobe Connect and then just the afternoon session on our election and our changes in our Rules of Procedures – those are the sessions during lunch – but the full morning session except the break-out sessions will be available on Adobe.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Great. Perhaps again, you could share the links of those sessions to the list.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks for that. John, is that another hand?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Oh, gone.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No, it's not. Okay, thanks for that. One of the things that perhaps I am thinking of in terms of this onboarding is the some of the key engagement challenges that are happening in terms of how persons can navigate ICANN's At-Large website or how to use Adobe Connect and so forth. And that's something at the back of my mind that I was thinking of looking at – additional toolkits or slides or whatever it is – on how to really engage effectively – using the calendar – those types of things.

Okay. Seeing no hands on this, our next topic on the agenda is, what shall we do for ICANN59? ICANN59 is what they call the Policy Forum – I believe that's what they call it – or which is known as the "Meeting B." It's the shorter ICANN face-to-face meeting. There are no public welcome ceremony, public forum, and those types of things. So I guess I want to open the floor as, what can we do at ICANN59?

Daniel, perhaps you could probably share what AFRALO intends to do at ICANN59?

DANIEL [NANGHAKA]: Currently we are going yet to have another meeting on work we are going to be doing at ICANN59. But a brief of what will be happening – we are still planning – an outreach and engagement with one of the universities that have got a good feedback but when feedback is obtained then I'll be able to share it with the group. That's just a brief of what so far is there. Thank you. Back to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Is there indication of how many persons from AFRALO will be attending the event, these sessions in the morning?

DANIEL [NANGHAKA]: One thing is ICANN59 is coinciding with the ALS AGM that will be taking place in Johannesburg so we expect at least most of the ALSes to be represented in Johannesburg. So that's a very good things to have at least a very good outreach for the ALSes. Back to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Daniel.

Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you, Dev. Just to let you know that currently we have 37 AFRALO ALS representatives who will be coming to Johannesburg. We have 24 more hours to get people to confirm so we're looking likely around 40 AFRALO ALS representatives, I would think. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks for that, Heidi. That's I think quite a few persons there. Okay, so we can look at...I would say, try to coordinate with AFRALO on the type of Capacity [Building] sessions which tend to be early in the morning of each day at the ICANN59 meeting. I guess the question is, are there other opportunities outside of the AFRALO Capacity Building sessions, AFRALO's GA? Do you think we should try to make an attempt to have an outreach event, when I say outside of the ICANN59 event, I don't know and I guess we'll probably then have to coordinate with the ICANN GSE on that. Should we try to do a session at the university, for example? Those types of things.

Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. In Copenhagen we had a quick session with Aziz, Yaovi, Jean-Jacques, Adam, Sarah, about how we might be able to collaborate, and we are working with them with academics so there may be outreach activities at a university that Adam is going to be working on where perhaps a few people from At-Large could go with him. And then there'll also be some inreach possibly where students might be coming in the morning or in the afternoon with a lunch during one of the

AFRALO Capacity Building sessions that would be expanded to include – sorry, Cheryl – that would be included in an outreach type event.

Again, it would be during one of the AFRALO sessions. It might be afternoon this time and expanded to include some sort of wider outreach activity. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Heidi. I think obviously an action item will be that if there is going to be a follow-up session, staff and fellow staff coordination meeting that you share the details with us so that we can then look to be involved because I think – I say obviously the answer would be yes we would want to be involved in such a potential outreach going out to any university and so forth.

Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you, Dev. I don't want to be alarmist, but I'm reading the Travel Advice from the U.K. Foreign Office and it mentions that universities are somehow agitated or people in universities are somehow agitated and you'll see demonstrations and things, and it recommends that one should stay away from them. Has anything been checked about this before we even make plans to go and visit universities?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. We are very well aware of those situations. Gisella is our person who is very... She's South African and she's watching this and obviously our ICANN Security Team is watching that as well so we're sure we're not going to endanger or do anything that will endanger anyone so we will be monitoring that.

Again, as I mentioned, there will be definitely some sort of outreach where students come in to the venue and perhaps have a session along with AFRALO ALSes. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. [Beeping sound] I don't know where that's coming from...

Regarding the possible inreach, I would say the [inaudible] for those students that are coming to the ICANN meeting and having a session, perhaps a session similar to the one at Copenhagen where it's a topical policy issues type of discussion would probably be the most appropriate type of session to have with them.

Just a question and perhaps just a confirmation, there won't be any sort of booth at ICANN59, would there?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Go ahead, Deborah.

DEBORAH ESCALERA: Yes, there will be a booth. At the end of the call I did have some other comments that –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Deborah [inaudible].

Okay. Alright. Thanks for that. And glad you were be able to [got] your communication challenges sorted out.

Heidi, you wanted to add to that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just that I'm sure that we can work with them again in ensuring that At-Large can have some sort of outreach activity during that booth. Thank you.

DEBORAH ESCALERA: Can I just make a comment now while we're back on the subject?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Great. Go ahead.

DEBORAH ESCALERA: I just wanted to make a comment, the booth is very much a coordinated effort. I work very closely with the booth leads who do have a sign-up sheet that is very closely monitored so any activity that is taking place at the booth must go via the sign-up sheet, and during this last meeting Silvia had sent out a separate sign-up sheet which was not okay. So I

told her please – she did send it to me – but I told her please use this one. So we really need to work together for any activities that are taking place at the booth because we do have scheduled activities taking place at the booth. We want to make sure that your time is scheduled, that we know when you're coming, that things just don't show up at the booth, because we don't know that all of a sudden we see something there and we don't know where it came from. We want to make sure that it's a concerted effort.

I ordered some magazine racks so that we don't have the brochures just sitting all over the table because it was a little bit messy, but quite a bit of your brochures did go out. I saw them going out. So I think that was very, very, positive. But I ordered two magazine racks so that they can be properly displayed but I need a coordinated effort for the booth participations and we do have a sign-up sheet. Just work with me and we'll sign you up for your designated spot.

And then in terms of the report, I will ensure that all participants are mentioned in the report. I think that was just a slight oversight at this time. But just consider that there is a sign-up sheet. People do sign up. So there's not just show up and sit down. We do have scheduled events taking place. So we want to make sure that you are scheduled so that we can [weed] it out and it can be something that everybody knows about so they know when you're going to be there, they know who's going to be there, what time they're going to be there, we can see [inaudible] and there can be a broadcasted event. That was my only comment.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Deborah. I think obviously we do need to have that in close collaboration so I think indeed perhaps with staff and perhaps I might suggest to perhaps one of the Outreach and Engagement members can also help work closely with Heidi, perhaps Silvia and Deborah, to ensure that the At-Large activities are appropriately scheduled and planned and so forth.

There was a question from Cheryl as to the point [inaudible] made earlier regarding the sign-up. Perhaps Deborah, you want to mention –

DEBORAH ESCALERA: I'm sorry. What was the question?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry to interrupt, Deborah and Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: We're having quite a bit of static and background noise. If I could just remind everyone please that we have French and [inaudible] and any kind of noise on the lines makes it extremely difficult for them to interpret – as we say, lost in translation on the other lines. So I'd much appreciate it if you could please mute your lines when not speaking. Any paper moving, any side conversations in the background, can be heard on their lines. Thank you very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Gisella, for that reminder.

Can we just make an action item then as to ensure that the members of the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement – I imagine, Glenn, perhaps you could probably, I might suggest that Glenn and perhaps even Olivier take point on this when coordinating with Heidi and Deborah and so forth.

Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I normally don't like being volunteered but since I have a big mouth on this issue I'd be happy to do that, Dev. So put it in the action items. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much. Excellent. Good. And I think yes, it really is important because I think it's just for us at At-Large being at the booth and, again, we do want to do this in a coordinated as [inaudible] also suggested is also noting in the chat. So that's good.

Heidi, you have a hand raised?

HEIDI ULLRICH: [Old] hand.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: It's an old hand. Okay.

Alright. So hopefully for the booth at ICANN59, the challenges that were noted for ICANN58 will be alleviated.

Okay, seeing any other comments. Okay. Alright.

So at least we have some ideas of what we want to do for ICANN59, and I guess also just to also mention, going back to what are we doing the outreach at the public events at the university. Again, will staff and GSE please involve us in those discussions as we would certainly want to be involved in those outreach events. That's all. No action item on that as well.

Okay. So we are coming towards 25 minutes for the end of this call. One of the things that I wanted to talk about and is to raise the awareness of this group to this, is an engagement proposal that's been circulated amongst the ALAC because I don't think it was ever actually formally done on the outreach and engagement. And I think Gisella is now uploading that document.

The [inaudible] draft of this approach was done by Alan, and unfortunately Alan – or I would say fortunately – Alan is traveling right now so he could not be able to be on this call. But just to generally go through this document. The idea behind this approach was that, whilst engaging with the ALS representatives [we] don't really engage with the rest of the persons in the organization.

So what this approach is trying to say – and I believe the document is unsynced so that people can read this document – is that we need to

engage those to engage about ICANN At-Large issues with all of those members of the organizations. So the idea is to now develop some sort of communication, perhaps formulate a annual ALS survey, also – and this is not so much part of what we are about – but look at ways in which we have to develop proper ALS requirements as to what is the proper criterion by which organization becomes an ALS. And that's being [tangled] by another working group.

Some of you may have seen this document so I just wanted to bring it to the attention of the group and just [because] does anyone have any thoughts or comments or observations on this group?

Okay, nobody has their hand initially raised. Just to say that obviously from an outreach and engagement perspective, looking at the communications plan, I think would be of importance to us. Some of the community onboarding materials that's being developed for the community onboarding in terms of the policy issues, those types of things, could be used by the ALS representatives to share what is happening in terms of policy discussions within At-Large. And so also the introduction to the At-Large presentation could also just raise awareness by the ALS representatives to its members not just to explain what is At-Large to their members.

Isaac?

ISAAC MAPOSA:

[Inaudible] ideas? I have one. Hello?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Isaac.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Yes. I just wanted to mention –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: We can hear you, Isaac. Go ahead.

ISAAC MAPOSA: It's okay. I just noticed one thing. The other thing that also [stalls] our ALSes is the communication to the [inaudible]. Like usually the At-Large usually communicates with their point of contact and sometimes the information does not cascade to those ALS members so that also hinders the [active] participation within the At-Large activities. I think we should also look [inaudible] to make the point of contact actually convey the information about our At-Large activities so that the [inaudible] members can also participate even in calls or webinars or Capacity Building workshops that we hold. I think that is it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Isaac. I agree and I know that I've had that experience with some ALSes that when the ALS representative leaves the organization, the organization itself is sometimes unaware that it's a member of At-Large. So it's a good point you've raised there about ensuring that whenever there are more than several members of that organization so that in case of the primary ALS representative no longer being part of

the organization, for example, the communication chain isn't broken. So indeed, it's a very good point.

Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, just going back to the document itself and getting into metrics and measurement of the results, we go back to our MoU on one of our obligations is not just outreach and engagement which we're talking today but also providing policy comments and eventually we're going to see much more emphasis on getting these comments constructive comments and we saw it in the At-Large Review this comment as well. So the challenge for all of us is to find out who in our community is actually knowing or knowledgeable or an expert in certain topics, and I have to give my hat off – and I'm not wearing a hat – but hat off to EURALO which has done a phenomenal job starting this process, mapping their ALSes and the individuals in those ALSes, to the policy issues and we've done the same. It takes a long time but it's critical to do it in terms of finding out who knows what. And what we're discovering is that in, for example, ISOC New York, five or six or seven people filling in sections which we were not aware of. We knew the point person but we didn't know the depth of the expertise that that ALS has. So we may have virtually hundreds of people that will step forward. We don't know yet, but this is going to take a while for us to finish but I'd like to appeal to – oh, he's put his hand up – the guy who has done a phenomenal job if Yrjö could actually talk about it, Dev, I'm turning it back to you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks. Yrjö?

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah, I want to echo what Glenn was saying. We did that sort of thing in EURALO and it was not a survey in the meaning that you send one e-mail to a group, but actually they were individual e-mails to all ALSes and lots of work but actually we finally got [out] we were able to map the expertise at the ALSes and even get some names who we can contact when a need be. And I think that [instead of] determining the criteria for ALSes not be required to engage members and so on and so forth, I think that we should take a positive approach and actually [urge] all RALOs to produce similar mapping exercises. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sorry. Just coming off of mute. Thanks, Yrjö, on that.

So is this document shared on EURALO's website – the document where you put all the subject [mapees] and/or survey?

Okay. Yrjö, go ahead.

Go ahead, Yrjö. I hope people are hearing me.

YRJO LANSIPURO: [Inaudible] can you hear me now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. I can hear you now.

YRJO LANSIPURO: It is a Google document which is sort of still under construction. On the other hand, it is a living document where ALSes themselves can add more information and names, and actually I don't know if it's linked to the EURALO web page now but it certainly should be. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that. Okay, Glenn. Maybe you'd want to just respond [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I just want to note they did a fantastic e-mail job as well. They did a mail merge like we did and we took all the names and made sure to route [populate it] throughout the e-mail the person's name and ALS is mentioned numerous times – very well-crafted e-mail – and as we found that we said, and the same as Yrjö – you can go into the Google doc, make the changes yourself, or if you can't do that or no time, you just want to e-mail me or like Yrjö said, what's your expertise, that is fine, too. I just want to give the people heads up, this has been a project I've been doing probably about maybe a month and a half and I maybe have maybe 10% so far. This is going to take probably – I'm just giving my prediction. I don't know about the guys in EURALO – but probably six months to do.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I'm sure you'll be sharing the results of that on future calls.

Just thinking about also the [intercommunication] plans and the challenges of that. I could be wrong but I think NARALO still does a sort of newsletter bulletin where it's not using the NARALO discussion list but it's actual e-mail that's sent directly to persons involved. Is that a type of mail merge idea? Is that the idea you're thinking of, Glenn, in terms of communicating with NARALO persons?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No. Not at all. The NARALO constant contact newsletter – which is [news] – that would be one of our tools to get the word out because you've got to tell people – sadly to say – 17 times before they buy from a marketing point of view. So yeah, the NARALO newsletter is another tool we use to keep telling people. The Skype chat is another, and our discussion list. So yeah, it is a constant chasing of people. It's a lot of work. And if you're taking this on, make sure you don't get burnt out so that you have support to do it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Thanks for that, Glenn.

Any other thoughts or comments on this? I think that's one observation that I have to really look at EURALO's approach on this, but I think it really should be synergized with all of the At-Large communities and with all of the RALOs. But obviously I'm going to have to look at this. And I see there's a link posted on the chat. So thanks for that.

Okay. So we only have 10 minutes left and hopefully we can accomplish this. One was the update on the outreach proposal for the IGF.

Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. Very quickly, call for proposals had happened with the IGF so I've just put the link in. There's a template that will start as of tomorrow. We submitted this for the FBSC FY18 because after our experience at the IGF Mexico, we found that the ICANN booth was sort of vacant except for a meeting place for staff, but there was no literature there at all and no integration with what we were doing and we had, I think, 22 people there for various different reasons. But the NCUC booth was phenomenal and I think the staff can bear their success, and there is no cost for the booth but we wanted some kind of coordinated effort at IGF Geneva, so we're hoping many of us are probably doing our own proposals with other organizations anyways. We may get funding from elsewhere. We don't know but we need to be aware that there's a timeline on this and an action item can't be forgotten, and I believe the timeline for submission is in May so we have a template to do, folks, and we have to map it with what we suggested to ICANN and what we would like to achieve at the event. So there are various different things we'll be doing at the event.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Glenn.

Anybody have any initial thoughts as to what type of an outreach proposal or whatever session at the IGF we should look to accomplish? Obviously we'll have to incorporate the concept of themes of end users – and I'm paraphrasing at the tip of my tongue here – end users properly represented in ICANN or in Internet governance – something along those types of lines there.

I see that the link has been shared by Glenn as to the proposal so perhaps we do need to, as I say, come up with a proposal that hopefully could be accepted which would go a long way in also furthering our proposal to ICANN to have a better outreach of At-Large at the IGF. So we have some time on that.

Glenn, you have another comment to make?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah. I would just like to ask this committee who would like to be part of the Google Doc as we draft the document and refine the [inaudible]. So if anyone would like to put their hand up and just tell us, "I'd be happy to work on the document," I'd just like to know who else in this group that I can lean upon to get involved and maybe I have to do the Dev technique of volunteering people. But let me appeal to the kind hearts in this group to volunteer.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks. I see Vanda is saying that she can help.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I see Jacqueline Morris also typing.

Daniel, go ahead.

DANIEL [NANGHAKA]: Yeah. I would also like to be a part of that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay.

HAROLD ARCOS: Sorry for interrupting you, Dev. I can help as well.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Harold. Thanks, Daniel. And Jacqueline also. So you could probably share the Google Doc when it's up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Excellent. Thanks for that.

Regarding the ICANN Stakeholder Analysis Tool – just to say there hasn't been any real coordination with ICANN staff. I believe one of the action items on the ICANN57 Hyderabad meeting was to coordinate with staff so that staff could take this over, but that hasn't happened but I do plan to make some more additions to this to update the stakeholder tool to both keep it up-to-date in terms of the Fellow that were just announced for ICANN59 and also I want to try to figure out a way of having some sort of regional dashboard. So right now we can drill down by countries but I want to try to figure out a way to have some sort of regional look so that one could look at a region and see some statistics or at least where we have a good presence of At-Large and where we may not have a good presence and so forth.

Again, if anyone has any particular ideas or comments or suggestions on this, please let me know.

Glenn. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, the toolkit itself is just the Fellows. It doesn't include the NextGen, so I guess we need to see if community thinks it's worthy and we need some kind of identifier. But I guess it's going to take a little bit of work to include all those past NextGen as well, so I guess ask community if they think it's of value to add the NextGen people as well.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

I'm thinking yes. If we are trying to find people in a particular [inaudible] whether they are coming in via the Fellows or via the NextGen, I think

doesn't matter. So I think I will try to figure out a way of incorporating the NextGen. The challenge has been, of course, is how do you put all of that information on one screen? But yeah. I would say yes – incorporating information about NextGen persons would be appropriate.

Okay. I'm not seeing any other comments, but of course you know you can contact me regarding the Stakeholder Analysis Tool if you have any comments or questions or suggestions.

Alright, so Any Other Business? We have just literally three minutes left

Okay, seeing no other business, I think we could adjourn with two minutes to spare. I'd like to thank everyone for attending this call. Thanks to the staff and Deborah and [Hazma] and also to our interpreters for being with us for the full 90 minutes. Thank you all so very much and I'm looking forward to continue the discussions online.

This call is now adjourned. Thank you all.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, everyone. The meeting has been adjourned and the audio will now be disconnected.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]