
YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the NARALO General Assembly Agenda call taking place on Thursday, the 2nd of March, 2017, at 18:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Glenn McKnight, Judith Hellerstein, Alan Greenberg, Alfredo Calderon, John Laprise, Seth Reiss, Avri Doria, Vernatius Ezeama, and Eduardo Diaz.

We don't have any apologies for today's call.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Susie Johnson, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar.

As always, if I could please remind everyone to state their names before speaking for the transcription purposes.

Back over to you, Judith. Thanks so much.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you all for coming to the program and logistics call. As Glenn explained before, people [inaudible] that we want to have this call before the ICANN meeting to get everything set because we're not going to have much time after the meeting for it.

I think Glenn has gone over the logistics, but we're looking at the program part. As you can see from the schedule that's on the screen, from 8:00 to 9:00, both Monday and Tuesday, we have a mini one-hour, of the GA. The first one on Monday is more like an ice-breaker. Anyone who has got experience at doing that who wants – maybe Eduardo or

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

someone, or Seth – to help run the icebreaker, that would be great. I know, Seth, that you're an experienced facilitator, so maybe an ice-breaker will be really helpful because we do need someone who's very experienced to do the ice-breaker and get people talking and meeting each other.

As you see on Tuesday morning, we're going to have John Curran addressing our group. Then [LEO] GA begins on Wednesday.

So our schedule is pretty tight – oh, yeah. Does anyone on the call have any ice-breaking tools or ideas to pass to Seth that he can use to facilitate? If anyone has different tools, please send them to Seth Reiss or cc us so that we can make sure we can have them. Like [Glenn] has a bunch, too. So we'll try to get you these.

Our talk is on John. If anyone wants to introduce him, that's fine. I can introduce him. Just let me know what you guys want to do. Our GA begins on Wednesday and I was free to go over the agenda. One is that we have the breakfast at 8:00. John, I think you and Evan were going to give a talk along with Heidi and Ariel on an overview on what policy is, why it's important, and how we write policy. John, do you want to explain? You have your hand up. Do you want to go?

JOHN LAPRISE:

Yeah. Evan and I, along with Heidi and Ariel have a half-an-hour to explain Internet governance, so this is going to be a very shallow touching. I think it might be better to work it as a Q&A.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: John, this is not the Internet governance. This –

JOHN LAPRISE: Understood, but even at the policy level and why it's important? This is going to be more of a Q&A because, literally, if you're in the room, you already think policy is important. I'm certainly capable of handling this along with everyone else, but I'm a little curious about what content we actually want to be focused on, given the time constraints.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks, John. Thank you so much. We have the policy development pilots and examples [does] come out, but I think what we're missing here is that, so far, there's very few people who write policy, besides you and Evan and some others. But in NARALO, it's a few people. So I think the idea is: how can we get more people to be writing them and how can we get more people to understand the importance? Something like that to get there before we have a discussion later on.

I have two questions. I don't know who was first. I think Alan was first.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, let Alan go first.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Alan?

ALAN GREENEBERG: Thank you. I think we need some clarity on these breakouts and the discussion topics for a couple of reasons. Number one, last I saw we had five –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: [inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERGL Sorry?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alan, we're not up to that section yet. We're up to the very early morning. The breakouts are later on. I haven't gotten to that yet.

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought we were just talking about... Okay, fine. I'll wait.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sorry. Okay. Thanks. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: The opening session – I don't see on the table how long that is. We have overview of expectations. Do we need to do what the aims and the objectives are of this meeting? Goran would like to be there –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Which one? Where are you at, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm just going down the – right before the policy.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: For Wednesday?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, yes. Overview of policy, why it's important.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, we're talking about Monday.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh. Goran is only going to be there on Wednesday, I think.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's correct. Sorry.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, what are you talking about?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I'm looking at what's on the screen right now.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, on Wednesday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Let's just go back and take a look at that full week. We've got breakfast, then we have overview of policy and why it's important.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: That's on Wednesday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Aren't we talking about Wednesday right now?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, but Alan thought you were talking about Monday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, I'm talking about Wednesday. Basically, I think that there ought to be you know, by Judith and Glenn [inaudible] what the GA is actually is, [is it] a full-day session, how we're going to set it up. Then the next step might be, logically, overview of policy and why it's important. It might be: what is the mission? Just make sure of everyone is aware of what At-Large and what NARALO is doing and why policy is really the core activity there. Then we go into why it's important in detail. I'm happy to go through the policy process. Ariel will not be there, just so you know.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right. This was created before we know Ariel was not going to be there.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So I agree, John. We need to have a little bit of a context setting to make sure that everyone is aware of where At-Large is, where ICANN is, very quickly, and then go down into what the core mission of At-Large and NARALO is in the best interest of the end user and how policy is really the key part of that and how that core really goes out to everything else that At-Large should be doing as we [relate] to that policy and development advice. Is that something you'd like to –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, that's very good. Our thought was to have some of that introduction on the Monday when people get in, where we introduce the NARALO GA and we introduce the overview and purpose. Then we go talk about – because they already know about ARIN. But our thought was, because the day is so packed, that we would try to do that overview on that Monday. So that was our thought.

John, I know you have a question. So that was our thought then. Then we would be able to dispense of the introductions on that Wednesday and save some time since we don't really have much time. So that was my thought.

John, did you have a different thought in mind?

JOHN LAPRISE: Yes. While I understand the time constraints and the rationale for scheduling it on Monday, no one is going to remember the intro through two days of ARIN. Everyone is going to come in cold on Wednesday. If nothing else, there has to be some sort of link to the intro discussion if we don't just move the discussion to Wednesday. I don't think it's going to be particularly helpful just from a pragmatic point of view. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: John, thanks so much. Yeah, I know. I guess we could do that. We'll probably have to do that over breakfast. So maybe we'll slot that in from 8:15 to 8:30. Just looking at the schedule, there's not much time to do anything because it's jam-packed. So we'll slot that in. We'll get people at 8:15 to 8:30.

John, would that work better for you? And Heidi?

JOHN LAPRISE: It's not so much being better for me, but I think for the attendees of the General Assembly, it's going to make a whole lot more sense. It's going to be stickier so that folks go into General Assembly with a better understanding of what's going on. Thanks.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I'm sorry, I haven't raised my hand. I'm happy to produce documents that you need or just show the slides that you need, but again, I would be much more comfortable with [inaudible] GA if John wants to work with Evan or Alan or Avri or anyone, then just open it up

to questions. I think that's where the most interesting information and results will come from.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Yeah. That's good. Avri, do you want to work with John on this or what?

AVRI DORIA: As I said at the beginning, I'm willing to do anything you all as me to do, so, sure.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Then we'll slot John and Avri there. The idea then was that, after that session, Glenn would be talking about the NARALO outreach strategic plan because we have to formulate the plan for the next year. So we want a discussion of what our current outreach plan is and what we're thinking about for the next year.

We also want that to lead into a discussion that we've had at the past NARALO meetings about the ALSes in NARALO and their desire for a better strategic plan for North America that better fits with what the ALSes are looking for. We had a discussion earlier with Chris Mondini, and there was a lot of questions on that, so we thought we would continue this discussion at the GA. We want it to be a very open discussion on these issues.

Heidi, you had your hand up?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Just a couple of points on this. We expect that Goran is going to be joining you for this day around 9:00 for the entire day. So just a note there. I think he would be happy to be participate when needed in addition to that time that you've given him.

I'm wondering also if we could schedule just a few of us, including Evan and whoever else would like to come along, and just speak with Chris before that slot. Maybe just have a coffee with him in the days preceding that to talk about some of the concerns that were raised on the last NARALO call so we can get over those issues if there's any clarification that needs to be done and so we can have a more productive discussion during this 30 minutes that we have for that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, thanks so much. Yeah, I think that's good. That's also why we also scheduled our break then. I just thought that we might need the break then, but we could have the break after Goran's discussion or before. I wasn't actually sure what time he was coming. So that's why.

HEIDI ULLRICH: He can just come in and sit with you and get to hear what's going on. That's totally okay. Then you can have a more interactive discussion in that 10:15 slot. So I'll go ahead and see if we can maybe do a Doodle to find a time when people can talk with Christopher about the NARALO strategic plan prior to Wednesday. Then we'll go from there. I think that's good.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right. We can move around that coffee break. I just wasn't exactly sure when Goran was coming, so I put it before his talk.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, as I've mentioned – sorry to interrupt – it's fine the way it is. He'll just walk into the room. Maybe we'll just save a seat for him. He can go on one of the roundtables and hear what's going on, and then we'll give him the mic at 10:15 and he can have that discussion with you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. Okay. Heidi, is that still a good topic for him? Policy, outreach, and engagement.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let's come to that when we do – are we done with that 9:00-10:00 session? I think Alan has his hand raised.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, Alan, is your question on this topic? And Glenn is next afterwards.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's on the beginning, the introduction. I haven't looked at the strategic plan, but I think you've got to go back for a moment and say, "Why are we having this GA?" it's not just a party. The whole purpose of these GAs is so we can engage people so when they go back home afterwards,

they are more likely to be productive and participating in our activities and specifically – and the reason we exist – to start to work on user issues and policy issues within ICANN.

So a lot of what we're doing throughout the day, from the introduction on, has to be focused on what the tools we're giving are and what the knowledge we're giving people is so that, when they go back home, they can actually be more active than they were before. That's why we have these meetings. I think we have to keep it in mind as we go through the whole day. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Alan, thanks so much for that comment. That is important, but it's also a time when we're having a lot of people – everyone from one of the ALSes will be here – and there has been a very big interest within the ALSes to have a discussion about a strategic plan for North America and not just one for outreach or for CROPP. So we're looking at what the main things are that our ALSes are interested in discussing and taking their opinions and then formulating something that matches them, because if we do a GA that doesn't take people's opinions in mind, then we won't be able to make that [inaudible] team approach. That's just my thought.

Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Hi. I want to circle back to two things. Well, I want to talk about the session that I was given, but I want to go back to Alan's comment. I

think Alan is correct. We need to give a little bit of history on how many GAs we've had, what other GAs have been, what the goals of our GA are and why it's important to have GAs, never mind building capacity. I think we need to have somewhere in the beginning, moving back to the introduction, giving an overview for everybody on why we're there.

Yes, we'll talk about it at informally at some of those earlier sessions, but I think it's critical to level-set why we're there and what our objectives are.

Back to my session, yes, there is no strategic plan for NARALO. We were asked to do a strategic outreach plan for CROPP. We do not have a real plan. One of the things, as Judith is implying here, is to get feedback from the community on how our plan dovetails with the North American plan and what some of the gaps are in the gap analysis and ask the community to give feedback so that we can move forward.

No one's going to have a carved-in-stone strategic plan in my presentation because we don't have one. We have some things we've been doing – some things well, some things not so well – and it's a chance for us to talk to our community to say, "Okay, what should we be doing?" and get feedback. So that's my general comment. Back to you, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Glenn, thanks so much for those comments. Where would you suggest that we put the overview discussion, looking at the schedule? Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, ask the group. I'm participating just as well as anyone else.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Do people have any suggestions of – oh, your hand is still up. That's why I asked you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry about that. I'll take it down.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Do others in the group have any suggestions for where we can put that section? We didn't have enough time on the call before to discuss the North American plan, so that's why I gave that whole section an hour. We really didn't have time and I wanted to give it time. Where would people suggest we [put] what Glenn was talking about?

Glenn, do you want to eat into some time to give more time? What do the people from your outreach and engagement group want to do? It's either Glenn or Alfredo or whoever's on the outreach.

Heidi, Glenn and I are preparing just a history of NARALO, of who the [inaudible] and who is the ALAC. I know Glenn has done research on the past GAs. Maybe Glenn could talk about that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I had my hand raised for another point.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Is that okay?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. Glenn [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: May I take the floor?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I see it's possible for a really nice scene coming up here. We could start the day with a little bit of background – why everyone's here, what the background of the GAs is, and what they're for – and then we go into a little overview of policy, setting the context, and then try to have a Q&A that might lead to the idea that we're here for policy and to represent the best interest of the end users. "How do we do that? Well, we need people. How do we get people?" Then we go into the next section about the outreach and the strategy plan. "How do we target the right people to where we get people who can do policy work? Yes, we need people for doing outreach, but we also need to make sure we have the people

who can write the policy. Does the current plan allow that, and how do we make sure that we can get that?"

Then we go into Goran's discussion after the coffee break. We have it right now on policy, outreach, and engagement. After he has listened to that discussion earlier in the day, he might have some information on that, and that might lead to a good, interactive discussion with him. He might speak for about 10 minutes, and then he'll probably like to have interaction on that or what challenges NARALO has had in finding people to prepare policy or to help with that. What can ICANN do to help with that, to get the right people? So that might be a nice discussion that morning. I'm just wondering if that would be something that might be useful.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, I think so. Do others think so? Heidi, I didn't get a chance to write everything down. If you could e-mail me that, then I could put it in the agenda. Or if you want to put it in the agenda yourself, you could do it, too. Whatever.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. I see Glenn is okay with that. I think it would be a nice, logical flow to see that. We can get people to take notes. We can get flip charts in there. We can maybe get some topics to walk around the room on what we can start doing to improve that. Then we can actually come away with some action items on how to make that strategic plan fit the purpose for At-Large.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right. That's why I wanted to keep this open and give it enough time. That's why that was given a full hour when nothing else was, except for breakouts. So that's why I was trying to keep it open.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So I'll go ahead and do that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks. That'd be great. Did you have another question?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. Just again, what I'll do then is work with Goran to work on something that he can talk a little bit about policy, outreach, and engagement on from NARALO just for ten minutes, maybe. Again, he really enjoys the question and answer. It doesn't even need to be question and answer. He can just open it up for a greater discussion on that. Maybe we can even do flip charts during his session. That might be of use as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I think we have flip charts. Glenn, did we order flip charts?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay. So then that's a revamping of that session. Then Goran is going to have his open-ended with the flip charts.

Okay. Then we'll have the breakout sessions. The idea for the breakout was to get everyone into these smaller groups so that they can really get involved and put ideas out. The topics were decided upon, by, first using the survey that Glenn did last year on policy topics. We got down the ones that were the most important ones for the group. Then in a group we decided on what topics were those we were going to discuss on.

The only one that is no longer there was because we didn't have enough time because we wanted to give Goran more time. So we converted one of the sessions – the ccTLD one – into a breakout. Also, there was a session that we got rid of because we didn't think that it was really as important.

The facilitators were chosen for these. They all volunteered. Tom and Louis volunteered to have discussions on ccTLDs. John had volunteered along with Glenn or me to do Internet governance. Garth and Evan were volunteered – but they accepted it – to do ICANN and the public interest. I heard from Garth this week. He said he was writing me a short blurb about what his session would be about.

Alan, I'm still waiting for your short discussion on what the accountability and transparency is about.

Also, Ron da Silva, and ICANN Board member, is going to be there and participate with us. He would like to help you out with that session. So

you might want to get in touch. I think he may already have got in touch or said he was going to.

That is the idea. Once we have these little discussions, little descriptions about what the sessions are about, then it'd be easier for people choose what session they want to go to and then figure out where in the room – the idea was to place them up in different corners of the room and to have one person doing note-taking. [Let's get] a small environment. If we have 24 people, then we could have six per group. That will make it more dynamic, I thought.

The idea was, after that, that the note-takers could summarize in the recap sessions afterwards what was discussed and what the actions are going forward. We didn't want to go with getting recommendations because the problem is that then those groups have a life of their own and don't exist afterwards, and then other groups get assigned them. That's not very good because we've had this problem with the ATLAS II. So we just want to find out what our action plan/action items from these discussions are and how we can take them going forward. That was the idea behind that.

Alan, you have your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I do on a number of issues. You say we're expecting 20-odd people for four sessions and people are going to select them themselves. Are we going to have a cut-off? If there are less than X people, we cancel one and merge into the others? If we've got 20-odd people and in each case two people presenting, even if we're evenly split, we only have four

other people who are not the presenters. If we're unevenly split, we may have one.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alan, that was why I was stressing that we would have these blurbs out very early. We can ask people to temporarily select a session, and then we could see what sessions were not really interesting to people. But without the blurbs, we can't do that.

ALAN GREENBERG: What I'm asking is: what is our methodology? Is the intent that we may cut down based on how people respond?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. That's never been said before. That's important.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Well, I said –

ALAN GREENBERG: [inaudible]

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alan's right. We don't want to have a session with one person there or two people there. It's not helpful. But what we do –

ALAN GREENBERG: [inaudible]

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead. When you're finished, I'll go back.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. So I think that's not helpful. I do want to know what more people's interests are. There is some value of them going to different sessions, but I think that they won't get much value in doing that. I think it's better if they pick one session and stick to it. Then whoever is taking the notes can present that session to the group later on, and then the people who feel like, "Oh, I found I was in the wrong session. I'd rather be in another one," can review and then talk to the people: "Oh, yes. What would you discuss? Can I get more involved? I should have been in that session." Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. If that is what we're going to do, we need to make it clear when we announce the subjects that based on the responses, we cancel

sessions or we may change the topics. So just make sure we set expectations properly. That's number one.

Number two, I would not stress action items out of it. A large part of what we're going to be talking about is not how we fix something but education, consciousness raising, and getting people up to speed on things. On accountability or transparency or ccTLDs, there may not be any action items out of them. We're just trying to make sure people understand and, when we have activities in that area, they're able to participate and start contributing quicker than if they didn't know anything about it.

So, yes, action items might come out of something, but if you push action items, you're going to end up with what we had out of ALTAS, and that is action items which may not make a lot of sense and that we're now committed to following through on. So let's treat this as largely an education discussion and consciousness raising. You can add a lot of other expressions, not necessarily action to come out of it. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much. I think an action item could also be, as I said in the chat, increasing understanding of the group, of this issue. That could be a result of that session. When I said "action item," it's just like, "What are we going to do going forward?" exactly like you've said. Now we've educated people, and now when we have to do something on this, they'll know more about how to do it. But that is also, in sense, I thought, an action item.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just a couple of ideas. On the topics themselves, if we're going to spend the morning moving from an overview of what we're trying to do and then look at policy and how it's important and then we're [inaudible] about outreach and about how important that strategic plan is to ensure we get the right people and then move to these, I'm not seeing the link, really. We've identified a problem in a way in the morning and now it might be useful to have at least one session where we're trying to work on some of the solutions to that. So maybe we can think about that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, that's an excellent idea, but the problem is: where do we put the breakouts then?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Let me come to that. The room that we have is not terribly large. I think we're going to have four roundtables of seven people each. Again, if we had those groups all in there, it's going to be really loud. I don't know if that's going to work. But again, we're in a huge hotel area, so

I'm sure there'll be an area right outside where we can just find some chairs and have one breakout session there. There maybe will be a coffee shop nearby. We're there ahead of time so we can find out some spaces. But I think that we'll need to have the breakouts right nearby outside. I don't see that that's going to happen in one room. So that's one point.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I agree with you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So we'll note that, Silvia, please. Also, these topics are interesting, but if we can maybe add one more that looks at some of the potential solutions to the topics that we were talking about in the morning, that's useful. Then have people rotate for academics, little poster sessions. You're just moving in and out and you're contributing to ideas. At the end of the day, those people who are the leaders of those sessions and the rapporteurs of those sessions come back and say, "Okay, everyone. This is what we've heard from the discussions." That allows people to be a little bit paced from some issues as well and contribute to those issues. So more than one.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, thanks so much for those suggestions. I don't think the moving in and moving out is helpful – at least I haven't found it helpful – because you often miss what was discussed, as I have had in other situations. But I was actually thinking the same thing you were about moving on to the

corridors and finding other spots to do the breakouts. I don't know what the rooms are right now, so we could have done that. My thought was to do that on the spot or, when we're there, figure out, "Okay. This is a good spot for a breakout class."

Now, we do need some solutions. That's why I want to get the idea behind what these sessions are going to be prescribing: so that we can have a better idea of – and contribute, saying, "Oh, yes. Can you focus it more on this? Maybe you want to focus on this area." But without any idea of what the facilitators want to discuss, it's hard to do that. That's why I wanted the facilitators to get their ideas very early. I've been trying to. I'm sending notes to those who haven't gotten them in because we can't do anything without that.

Do you have another question?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

You [see] an action item. We're going to work with you to find breakout sessions in the corridors. Do you agree that we add one more session on basically finding solutions to outreach and engagement issues?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

The problem with that – I love that idea – is that it goes back to what Alan says: we're too many. We don't have enough people. How do we fit that in? Do we move that solution session maybe to the recap session and title that "Solution section?" [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, maybe we can look at what the current breakout session topics are. Are any of them not leading to the outcome of the GA?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. What we have right now is that Tom and Louis have been very active and want a discussion on ccTLDs, so we told them that could be an option. We have Internet governance. We have ICANN and the public interest, and accountability and transparency. Which one do you take away?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I appreciate that everyone would like to contribute. I value that very much, but again, we're looking not so much at people who want to give a session but what's going to be of most interest and most use to the GA as a whole, in my view.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right. So which ones do you think? Or which ones do others? John, you have your hand up? Do you have some ideas about this?

JOHN LAPRISE: Yeah. I think what I would do is, at least initially – I know we're struggling with time – flip the whole program. We're deciding what's interesting to GA participants. We should figure out what GA participants want to hear about rather than feeding them topics. I have a couple ideas about how to go about doing that, but I don't know what we can do in the time allotted. That's just my two cents. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: John, thanks so much. These topics were generated by a survey, like Glenn did, of all the ALSes, and the ALSes responded. So these are their topics. The topics that we chose were the topics that had the highest number of ALSes responding to them.

Glenn, you may want to talk about that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Judith, thanks. I think I want to stress that we're looking for community feedback. This is not cast in stone. Heidi has got extensive experience doing the GAs. She's been to each of them from each of the RALOs. If we are on a tangent – and I'm not saying this is right or wrong on what we've said up here – we have a month to rejig these topics. But at the end of the day, people should come out feeling pretty happy that their voices were heard, that they're providing us with constructive criticism and suggestions. So I just want to stress that, if these topics are not relevant, they're not current, they're not good topics, in my view I'm happy to see any changes that are relevant to make it a better GA. We're leaning heavily on – sorry, Alan. I should have included you as well because I'm sure you've been at other ones as well.

So, please, guys, don't think we're reacting to any of your comments negatively. We put this slate down. Yes, we did a poll. But this was a long time ago. Maybe this is not the topics that are really critical or today in moving forward with the new ICANN. So please give your comments. I appreciate it. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, that's excellent. Yeah, please do your comments. This is the only information we have. We thought we would have discussions with people. We had asked them what topics they want covered, and this is what they told us. But we're happy to change them, and we're happy to refocus the whole sessions and do a solution session. So I'm open to pretty much anything. It's just that we are trying to figure out where we will fit things and where would fit any breakout sessions.

Maybe the answer is that we don't have any breakout sessions and that we scrub all these and we just go with different solution sessions on topics that were discussed in the morning – and we don't have any breakouts. I'm open to that idea, too.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We can also do solution sessions – sorry. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, yes. I think, if we do solution sessions as a choice, maybe it's solution sessions per topic. Maybe, after the morning talk, we'll have a solution session on policy, a solution session on X, a solution session on that. We'll have them all be solution sessions on different topics.

Heidi, is that your thought? What's your thought?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, absolutely. Exactly that. I think that's brilliant. I see that Alan has his hand raised. [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: You had your hand up earlier, [inaudible]. Okay. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I think, as we're coming up with topics and whether they're a solution session or a discussion session, the question to ask ourselves is: to what extent will this move forward our overall agenda? If you look at, for instance, then one that was assigned to me – accountability and transparency – to a large extent that's going to be a history session and recounting how we got here and the to's and fro's in ICANN accountability over the last n months or n years and going forward because the process certainly has not ended yet.

But it's a process that's well underway, and perhaps the most interesting parts are the parts that have already happened. But it's a history session, and is that going to move us forward in a way we want to go? Will it get more people involved in the last parts of Work Stream 2? I don't know. I'm not even sure it's helpful to say, at this point, we want to bring a lot of new people into a process, which is nine-tenths of the way, in some cases, done already.

So look at it as what we're trying to get out of it. I think, if we do it from that perspective, we're going to end up with good sessions. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alan, if you're looking at what we're going to get out of it – and as you say, we could have some of it be history sessions and some of it be solution sessions. But the question is, I don't know whether some people will go to a history session as opposed to a solution session. Maybe they will.

ALAN GREENBERG: Judith, what I was saying was that, by the simple definition, accountability in ICANN right now – a large part of it – is describing what's been happening for the last while, why we got to a discussion of accountability, what has been proposed to do it, and what we're still working on. That's the subject. If we're in a mode where we're asking people who have not been heavily involved in it to come up with ideas now to increase ICANN's accountability, we'll end up writing something on a piece of paper. But I don't think it'll go anywhere and I don't think it'll have any real effect on anything.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Eduardo, you have some really good comments in the chat. Did you want to talk about them?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Can you hear me?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Hello? Well, [inaudible]. I see a lot of mail about difference that are happening in ICANN, and I'm not sure from all this mail what's important and what is not. Someone like Alan or John should let us know what the most important policies are – the three most important policies in ICANN. I can read about them, but really it's sometimes hard to understand what the implications of these policies. [Are] these policies [being] implemented mostly to end users, and ICANN itself because I see a lot of discussion in Skype [inaudible] and really when I browse these discussions, I see things differently. I see things [inaudible] for me. I'm not there 100%. I think if I come out from this GA with a little understanding [inaudible] then I can go back to my constituency and try to engage people to help develop ideas for those policies. I would be able to explain to them in laymen's language what they're about and their implications. [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: A lot of those are excellent ideas, so it does call for some history sessions and maybe some solution sessions or something like that. I think there is a definite connection, as Alfredo says, with what's on the strategic plan.

Eduardo, besides accountability, what's your thought on the other topics on the list?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

At this moment, I don't have a comment on that. But, as I was saying before, this GA itself – I've been networking [inaudible] this informal conversation that we will have will also help with things that I'd like to get from this GA. So at this point, unfortunately I don't have any comments about the topics. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Eduardo, thanks so much. Glenn, you have your hand up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Judith. Just quite quickly, I want to respond to Alfredo's comments about the strategic plan. We talked about it earlier on. I don't think any RALO has one. It's something I alluded to a few years ago, saying we need a clear strategy, never mind a mission and mission statement and all of that. I'm hoping to lay bare what we've done, and that's why we've done a semi-annual and annual report on what we've done right and wrong. I'm hoping that, through feedback to the community, learn where we want to go and what tools we need to get where we want to go and solicit to the community, saying, "How can we get there?" and more importantly, turn back to the community, saying, "How can we make this journey together?" So as Alfredo says, it's a roadmap. We're on the same bus, so we need people to say, "Yeah, I'm committed to it."

We're not going to have a strategic plan out of the GA, but we're going to have volunteers. We're going to have a direction, which I don't think we've had. I'm hoping that that's actually one of the deliverables we get out of the event – that we have some solidarity, we have some direction, we've heard from our community, we hear from staff, we hear from the CEO, saying, "Okay, guys. You screwed up here." You know what? I'm happy to hear that we screwed up here. What can we do right so that we can move this bus along?

That's my comment. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, thanks so much for the comment. Eduardo, you have your hand up. Eduardo? You didn't have a question? Okay.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I hit the wrong key.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. So I guess, going back, is the decision that what Alan still writes up a description of what he plans to talk about on his panel more of a history/education for people and everyone else looks at what they want to revise in their plans? John, do you want your Internet governance one to be more solutions? That is, something where people want to find out where they can go next and how they come to different solutions. So that's [a thought] on that. I don't know what your thought on that is.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I know people are dropping now, so I'm wondering if it might be useful if we keep two slots open for issues that are raised during the morning sessions and we have people like Avri and John who could lead those. They wouldn't have very much prep time, but then they could lead those in the afternoon. They would set the topic again and do a solution circle and then feed back what they've discussed during the recap. Just two of those sessions.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, Heidi, excellent idea. Also, we have an informal meeting for those who are in Copenhagen. We'll try to find a time when we can connect with others who are not intervening on the call. So we'll send out some e-mails.

I know everyone has to drop off for the other call, but thanks. Heidi, did you have one final thing before we go? Your hand is up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. Sorry, I'll put it down. Thank you very much, everyone.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Thanks so much for the call. I look forward to hearing from all of you. Bye.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]