
YESIM NAZLAR: Okay, this is Yesim speaking. So, we'll now start our call. Let's please start the recording first.

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the AFRALO General Assembly Organizing Committee call, taking place on Thursday, 16th of February, 2017 at 18:00 UTC.

On the call today, on our French channel we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, Michel Tchongang, Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong, and Believe Ramanou.

On the English channel, we have Daniel Nanghaka, Seun Ojedeji, Sarah Kiden, Isaac Maposa, and Barrack Otieno.

We have a tentative apology from Aziz Hilali. He will be joining us slightly late.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, Mario Aleman, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar.

Our French interpreters today are Claire and Isabelle.

Finally, if I could please remind everyone to state their names before speaking, not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpretation purposes as well.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Hello.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

YESIM NAZLAR: I can hear you, Tijani. Would you like to please start?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. I would like for Aziz and Sarah to be here to start, but I will go ahead since they are not here. Just a minute, there's a loud ring.

INTERPRETER: This is the interpreter. I am not hearing anything from Tijani at this point.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

INTERPRETER: Okay, he's back. There we go.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Okay, thank you very much. So, we will start the call despite the absence of Aziz.

INTERPRETER: Tijani speaking, we will start the call even though Aziz is not with us.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: [inaudible]

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Tijani, I think you're on the English channel, because we could hear you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, I am on. Yes, I am – that's exactly what – I choose to be on the English channel since I have the French channel on the Adobe Connect. That's why I changed to the English one. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everyone. This call is about the organization of the General Assembly. Not only the General Assembly, all the activities of the AFRALO during the next ICANN meeting in Johannesburg. Those activities are in principle a general assembly, a showcase and other activities such as capacity building and perhaps other activities we will speak about later.

So, this call is the first call, we will try to make things more clear, because there is some things that we have to sort out today, such as for example, who will be invited to come to Johannesburg. We receive every day applications for membership to AFRALO and from ALSes, and we have every day new ALSes added to our list. So, if we continue like this, we will not be able to schedule any budget for our work, so we have to put a hard stop and say, for example, after Copenhagen, any new ALS will not be invited because of the budget. This is one thing that we have to think about together today, and perhaps we will discuss it

together. And I hope that we will come to closure and have a decision about that. This is the first point.

This other point we'll speak about, I have a problem on the agenda because it is said outreach activities, and outreach activities are capacity building, showcase and general assembly. I don't think that capacity building is an outreach activity, neither the general assembly. Perhaps the showcase can be an outreach activity. So, in my point of view, that is three – at least four – three points of the agenda, one through three. The first one is the participants, the second point is the capacity building, and the last point would be general assembly.

Yes, and also – no, so there will be four points. First one is participants, second point is capacity building, third one is the general assembly, and the last one is the showcase.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Tijani, can I say something?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, please.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Tijani, what about [inaudible]. We had talked about the outreach to the university in Johannesburg. Have we have got confirmation from whether we shall be able to reach out to the university, or not?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. This is the last point, which is – so with four it should be five points. The four – the fifth point will be other outreach activity. We don't have yet confirmation. We already made some – how to say – some arrangements. Not arrangements, but some requests for people on the ground to help us to have. Because this activity cannot be done without someone on the ground to help us and we are trying to have the university event, and perhaps also other kind of events such as local –

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello, Mr. Chair.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. Local community to participate. And this will be discussed in the last point, which is other outreach activities. Yes, Seun. Go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you, Mr. Chair. I just wanted to suggest that we add the agenda item, agree with it, and then we'll start the meeting proper. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: This is what I am trying to make, because the agenda – I didn't agree with the agenda. So first, I have to propose so that you agree on it or not. So, I propose that we have now an agenda of five points. The first one is the participants, the second one is the capacity building, third

one is general assembly, fourth one is a showcase and the last one is other outreach activities.

So, I ask you all if you agree on this agenda. Yes. Yesim, go ahead.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you very much, Tijani. I would just like to make just a reminder. If everyone could please mute themselves when they're not speaking.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

YESIM NAZLAR: We are having some hard conversations and echo, some kind of noises. So, that would be great. Thanks so much.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Yesim. Yes, please, people who are not speaking, please mute yourself. And when you speak, please state your name, because if I didn't recognize Daniel speaking, I cannot know that it is Daniel. So, I know you, but the interpreters don't know you. You have to tell your name before you speak.

So, coming back to the agenda, do you agree on this agenda? I suppose you agree.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, if I could – yes. Under item six, could we do AOB/next steps for next call, so we know when to have the next call? Is that okay?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And we have 45 – 42 minutes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I know. Timekeeper. Okay, so, agenda adopted. We will go now to the point number one. I, I told you that we have a problem with the number of ALSes added every day. So, how we can set a budget for this event if we don't know the last number of ALSes that will be funded to go to Johannesburg?

So, I propose that we put a hard stop and say any ALS that will be accredited after this date will not be invited to Johannesburg. Do you agree with this philosophy? Any objection? Yes, I see Heidi. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you. So I fully agree with that, and thank you very much. And I think that we need to make the date now, because it's unfortunately not AFRALO that sets the budget, it's ICANN that sets the budget. And we had an internal call earlier this week, and we realized that we are at budget right now. And if we include one more person, one more ALS rep, we will be over budget and we can't do that.

So right now, there are 49 – well, now there are 50 At-Large Structures, minus the five that already go because they are in leadership positions. Then we will now have 45, and we have budget for 44. So, we are at the absolute maximum that we can afford right now.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Heidi. For your information, we have only four already funded, because Wafa doesn't have an ALS. So she's not representing any ALS. So you can subtract only four.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, well, then that worries me, because then, you know, we're now going to be over budget somewhat significantly. So, I think we all have to assume that if you're representing an ALS and you're a leader that you cannot bring another rep from your ALS. That's number one.

Number two, I think we need to start sending out notices of the GA and asking people to confirm by, let's say, end of March at the latest if they can go. Hopefully we're going to have at least two people who can't go. And then depending on the final members who confirm, then we will be in a better state to see where we are on the budget.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. I have Abdeljalil, and then I want to speak. Abdeljalil, you go ahead.

ABDELJALIL BACHAR BONG: Thank you very much, Tijani, thank you, everyone. I think it is an excellent idea.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: That's all. Okay.

INTERPRETER: I apologize, I need to ask him – there's a terrible echo. I need to ask him to repeat, just a second.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

ABDELJALIL BACHAR BONG: So I agree completely with what Tijani said, and I think that the end of March after the next ICANN meeting would be a good deadline.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. Thank you, Abdeljalil Bong. Heidi, I have a proposal, and I have a proposal for the whole group. First of all, we will decide that we will stop today the count of the ALSes, so only the ALSes accredited until today will be invited. We will have 46 or 47, I don't know since we already have 50 we have four already funded, so we will have 46 today.

And Heidi says that it is – how to say – we are over the budget now. When we make the call for our ALSes to confirm their participation, if – and we put a deadline for that – if we have some ALSes that don't confirm their participation, we will add other ALSes that are not taken now if they are accredited before the meeting.

So, the decision I propose is that we stop the recount now, and if other ALSes don't confirm, we can take the upcoming ALSes, the ALSes that are accredited before the meeting. Do you agree with that? Is there any objection?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, so I approve of most of that, except that I would again ask that we try to keep the number to 44 ALSes so we are in budget. So, if we have – let's say we have 46 who are accredited to go, if two people cannot go, then that's fine. If more than two people can't go, then we start assigning, asking the other ALS reps if they can go, for a total of 44 people.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Let me make another proposal that perhaps is a middle way between your proposal and mine. Today, we will stop the recount today. And we will ask the ALSes to confirm their participation with a deadline. If they don't – the ALSes that don't confirm the participation before the deadline will not be invited.

And if we have two, we will keep 44. If we have more than two, we will add other ALSes that will be accredited after this, the date of today.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. Okay, perfect.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: But Heidi, if everyone confirms, we will take the 46. And this is something I can assure you that this is something that will not happen, but as a default case, since today we have 46, we will take them. Okay?

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, I'm going to take that back. I agree that the GA ought to be everyone. Let me see how we can cover that, but let's just first see where we are with the numbers. If the RALO leaders could send out a note today in French and English that the deadline will be the end of March to go to the GA, then we can see where we are at the end of March.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. No, we have time, Heidi, it's not a problem, because we will give them one month to decide, or to confirm.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So we have time, it's not a problem. We are not in a hurry today. But yes, we will put end of March as the deadline. Okay, and if people don't confirm, we will not invite them and we will replace them by the two extra of today, and by others if we have more than two not responding. Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect, okay.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, sorry, I haven't raised my hand.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Are you going to work with Aziz and Sarah on producing that message?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, for sure. Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Aziz will be the champion on this. Okay, I have two hands. The first one is Abdeljalil. Go ahead, Abdeljalil.

ABDELJALIL BACHAR BONG: Okay. I wanted to ask –

INTERPRETER: I apologize, I'm not understanding Abdeljalil. Just a second. It's a question about the amount of money, I think. I'm sorry. Okay, Aziz is going to try to ask the question for him.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI: Abdeljalil wanted to know if we could find out what the amount was that was allocated for that project, and if we could play on that rather than playing with the number of ALSes. Can we play with the amount?

HEIDI ULLRICH: If I may –

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes – no, let me say one word before, please. I don't agree with this approach. I prefer dealing with things au nature rather than dealing with dollars. That is a big problem if we deal with dollars. I can explain more, but I don't want. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I agree. I agree with that. We have had an internal meeting where we calculated the budget given the available funds, and we've worked diligently to ensure that as many ALSes are able to go as possible, and we feel that we have enough to give you the GA that you have planned. Thank you, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. Aziz, and now you take the floor and you take over, because you will chair the meeting. I am just replacing you. Go ahead, please.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much, Tijani. Hello, everyone. I do apologize for the delay. I was stuck in a meeting that ended up lasting two hours longer than was planned, so I was supposed to be here on time but that didn't happen. So, I do apologize. I actually would prefer that Tijani continues to manage the meeting, because I actually do not have my personal computer in front of me, and I do have some things to say but I want to mention one thing: there was a meeting between the staff, Heidi, Tijani and myself as far as the Johannesburg meeting, and that actually answers the question that Abdeljalil asked.

And so we did decide to speak in terms of ALSes and not so much in terms of amounts. So I did hear the discussion about the number of ALSes that will be invited. Based on the experience, based on the number of ALSes, because it is a large number and because we know that there are four ALSes that never answer any e-mails, so I am assuming that there are at least four of them that will not answer, that will not confirm.

Also, I heard something, and Tijani you can tell me if I'm wrong, but if one representative of an ALS cannot come or does not answer, can we actually move to the second representative? So I'd like an answer to that question.

The third thing I wanted to say, I would like for Sarah to work with a small team. Sarah, myself and Tijani maybe. I would like for us to meet with the staff to discuss logistical issues and to talk about invitations and sending them and so forth.

Last thing that I would like to stress actually, we need to make sure that we really prepare very well for capacity building activities, because we will have a large amount of people present who will be newcomers. So I really would like for the training that will be given to these newcomers to be prepared very well, because they will discover us for the first time. We will discover them for the first time during that meeting, and I think that the Johannesburg meeting is an opportunity to really make sure that they are involved in the long term, to make sure that they are especially active at the ALAC or within ICANN in general. That's all I have to say. Thank you very much.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Aziz. I can tell you that our working group needs to work with the staff, and I propose Sarah, Mohamed El Bashir and yourself. I can help you also, and if you want, you can work on the logistical aspect of the meeting and we will work on the content of the meeting. Is there someone?

AZIZ HILALI:

You didn't answer my question about the second representative.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: There is one representative per ALS. It is not the first one or the second one. The ALS is going to decide about that. So, one representative per ALS according to the ALS' decision. Aziz, you have the floor.

AZIZ HILALI: Okay. Very well. I understood your answer, it's okay. Now to conclude, I ask to have a meeting in French with Gisella, because I think that since the meeting of [inaudible] with Heidi [meet] team in Hyderabad, we decided that Gisella was our focal point to decide of new modalities, etc. So, I ask Gisella if she could have a meeting with me so we can afterward make a report to the rest of the team; Silvia, Heidi, etc. We need to decide a timeline, we need to decide a planning together. So, I want to do it first with Gisella, then I will propose it to Sarah and Mohamed if you agree. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It's okay. I think it's okay. Are there any objections to that idea? I don't think so. So, about the participants, I think we are finished. We have a good decision taken. So, the deadline for the ALSes to confirm their participation. The mail needs to be sent on the 1st of March to give the month to the ALS to confirm. So, we are going to do that to have a big quantity of confirmations.

So, we are going to move to the next item of the agenda if there are no other thing about these items. Okay. Second item, capacity building. Aziz said that capacity building we were going to give this time was very important, because we will have several new ALSes accredited. So these people won't have any experience about ICANN, so we need to give a

capacity building for newbies. This meeting is short, four days long, so this capacity building will be a four-day capacity building. It's a big challenge, because during these four days we need to give a capacity building as clear, as detailed and as complete as possible, but very short.

So, we are going to work on that. We need to begin now to prepare a team working on this capacity building for our Johannesburg meeting. So, if you want to present yourself as volunteer to work on the capacity building program, please, you are welcome.

I also will contribute to this, because I have some experience. Okay, I can see some hands. Abdeljalil, Aziz, Ramanou. Okay, Ramanou, you are asking for the group floor. Ramanou, go ahead. You have the floor. Ramanou, please, we can't hear you. Okay, yes, I can hear you. Ramanou, go ahead.

BELIEVE RAMANOU:

Well, I wanted to speak about the capacity building, about ICANN. Maybe we need to work online with all the team to know what will be.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay, great. I was going to make this proposal. We are not going to be able to work with the newcomers, so we can organize two webinars before the meeting. Two webinars for the newcomers. If you think it's not enough, we can do one more, but I think two webinars will be okay for these people so they know the activities, how it works, how ICANN At-Large functions. Okay, Ramanou, your hand is still up. Do you still want to speak?

BELIEVE RAMANOU: Yes. I agree with you, Tijani. I think it's a good idea.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Action item, who is taking notes? Yesim. Okay, action item: we need to organize two webinars before Johannesburg meeting to prepare the newcomers about this capacity building we are going to give them in Johannesburg. Are there any other comments about this capacity building issue? [inaudible] Abdeljalil and Aziz, you are volunteers to work with us in this working group. Seun, do you want to be volunteer to work with us? So have Ramanou –

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, please [put] me down for this working group. Thank you. Hello?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Seun, yes, you said you were agreeing to be in the working group, no?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, please. Yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, we have Aziz, Abdeljalil, Ramanou and Seun in this working group, and myself, Tijani. Is this okay? Seun, it is okay, Seun? Okay.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, that's fine.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. So, if there are no other comments, we are going to move to the next item of our agenda. The next item is General Assembly planning. What are the General Assembly plannings that we need to organize? We need to have an agenda. We also need to prepare facilitation training or something like that, that is to say capacity building of facilitation.

I've spoken with Heidi, and I think maybe we are going to do that with Joseph [inaudible] who is specialized in those kinds of activities. It is a capacity building about the participation, how to improve participation of the audience, of the people.

So if we can do that, if we are able to do that – it is not confirmed yet, but I have spoken about that with Heidi, and the idea is to organize that along the General Assembly to have capacity building to help us to participate easily, to improve our capacity to participate.

Do you agree with this idea? Do you agree with this proposal? Abdeljalil, you have the floor. Abdeljalil, you can speak. We can't hear you, Abdeljalil.

BARRACK OTIENO: I would like to speak as well.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Daniel would also like to speak.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Barrack? Is it Barrack speaking?

BARRACK OTIENO: Yes. I wanted to suggest that in addition to the agenda, we think of a theme that will unite all ALSes in the General Assembly.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Just a minute, Barrack. Okay, Abdeljalil speaking. Abdeljalil speaking first, and then Barrack, you are going to have the floor.

ABDELJALIL BACHAR BONG: Okay. I agree with you, and I would like to add that there is a problem. While we have some documents, we have some resources in French and in English, we can use those resources.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Abdeljalil, there is a problem with your line, with your connection. Try to improve your connection. In the meantime, we are going to give the floor to Barrack because we can't hear you. There are interruptions in your line. Thank you. Barrack, you have the floor.

BARRACK OTIENO: Thank you very much. I wanted to propose that we consider coming up with a theme for the General Assembly. The theme should basically

outline what we would like to achieve from the General Assembly in South Africa. Again, if you'd be [inaudible] in the agenda that we are going to [inaudible].

And then I'd like to suggest that once all the At-Large Structures have been told or rather understand what theme is about, we also need to make them commit to the ICANN [inaudible] agree in the meeting. So, I'm just emphasizing on the need for a theme for the meeting.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can I say something here? Can I speak?

INTERPRETER: Yes, just a minute, I'm going to ask Tijani.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, Claire, please wait a moment, Claire. Moment, wait a moment. I want to answer – not to answer, but to comment on what Barrack just said. You said we have to define the content, but the content is the agenda. I said the first task of the group that will be assigned for the General Assembly will be to define the agenda.

You speak about the NextGen, but it is not part of the General Assembly. We are speaking about the General Assembly here. So, General Assembly, we have to define the agenda and to try to work with

the staff so that we can make this facilitation session to prepare – or not to prepare but to help our community to better participate.

So, this is the – if you want – the content for the General Assembly. The agenda and the facilitation session. There is no other content for the General Assembly. NextGen is another thing, we will speak about it. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can I ask something?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

INTERPRETER: Just a minute, Daniel.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Moment, Daniel. Yes, I know. Moment.

INTERPRETER: Just a minute, Daniel.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Daniel, go ahead, please.

INTERPRETER: Daniel, go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I think one of the key issues I would love to see on the agenda is how can ALSes have enhanced participation, especially in the PDP process. Because we see that we have the ALSes, we see them attending the AFRALO meetings, but how do we have like multi [inaudible] coming in, especially different end users or different activities? So, we have a challenge, especially of monitoring the progress of the ALSes, and also how they can get more engaged in the PDP processes. I think that is key. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Daniel. Yes, it is key, and it will be part of the agenda. So, if you want to be part of this small group that will prepare for the General Assembly, please speak up. And this is not the only point that we need to discuss during this General Assembly. It is a unique opportunity to have the whole ALSes face to face, so we will try to make our agenda really, how to say, efficient and speak about all the important points that we want to speak about together.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Also, we have to prepare for the facilitation session, and I hope it will be accepted. I see that Silvia has her hand up. Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. Hello Tijani, thank you very much. Yes, regarding the facilitation, I had a question [if you envision] this. We think the GA or previous to the GA. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, it will be –

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, moment, please. It should be during the four days of the ICANN meeting. The GA is a meeting, is a part of the four days, the activities. But we will try to have another activity, which is facilitation sessions. And this will be one afternoon or something like this, that one of the experts in this field will come and address it for the whole AFRALO community. Yes, Daniel, you wanted to add something?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: You had asked me if I would like to be part of the small working group. I agree I can be part of the small working group. Thank you. Back to you, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. Okay. Now, Aziz. Go ahead, Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much, Tijani. I just wanted to check what you said about the General Assembly. I'll remind you that it will be the fourth General Assembly: Darak, Mexico, London, and in London it was not a big success because a lot of AFRALO members weren't able to come so there were like ten members who weren't there.

I hope we will have a lot of ALS representatives. We will have an agenda. There is not a topic, only one topic. There is an agenda in which as Tijani said, two or three people as Göran Marby can participate to the opening ceremony with the ICANN CEO and [inaudible] also. And if you want to invite some other people, it's okay.

And then we will have to make a report to know what was signed since the last General Assembly. It's like activities report about AFRALO leadership, about what was done, and then we will give the floor to the different participants so they can speak generally. We'll speak about the rules, about the criteria, about the way people consider the new rules, applying for AFRALO. It's work that we have already begun. The representation per country, there are many ALSes per country. A question about role, a question about inactive ALSes.

So we need to speak about that. We need to take decision. I've seen that there is a decertification of some not active ALSes in some RALO. I think we need to speak about that. I think the General Assembly is made for that, because everybody will be there and everybody will be able to give his opinion about that. I'm finished.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Merci, Aziz. Thank you very much. Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Tijani. I just wanted to let everyone know that I've been working on the GA, the AFRALO GA space, wiki space. And so there it is, I've just put it into the chat. I've created separate pages for the capacity building activities. I've noted the four people who will be part of that subgroup. I've created a General Assembly agenda page, and there might wish to be a small group who will work on the agenda itself.

I will be creating a showcase or networking page again for activities related to that, and there may wish to be a small group who works on that. And finally, I will create an outreach page, and again there may wish to be a small group who works on that.

And then perhaps we can all come together, maybe every two weeks or so, and just provide updates on where each of those small groups are with their specific activities. Thank you. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Heidi. Thank you for these initiatives. This is exactly what should be done, what will be done. And I would like to ask now who wants to work on the General Assembly. We have already Daniel.

BARRACK OTIENO: I would like to do that.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, who are you? Daniel?

BARRACK OTIENO: Barrack.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Barrack. Okay, so Barrack, Daniel, who else? Yes, okay. Aziz. Aziz, yes, okay. Who else? Yes, you want to speak, Aziz? Okay, go ahead.

AZIZ HILALI: I just wanted to add that I've read what Abdeljalil said on the chat, and I don't know if it was said, but we have agreed with AFRINIC to renew the memorandum we have with them, so we need to have two or three persons. I think leadership, Sarah, myself and Mohamed, we can take care about that. We need to review the memorandum we've signed with AFRINIC, because we need to sign a new memorandum with AFRINIC, a partnership memorandum with AFRINIC.

And then we are not going to speak about that, but if you allow Sarah, myself and Tijani to speak with Gisella about the logistical issue, t-shirts, pens, etc., we're going to prepare all that, and if you have some ideas about that and if you want to make some proposals about that, they are welcome.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Aziz. So now, we have for the General Assembly Aziz, Daniel, Barrack. I need another one. Why not Michel? Sarah?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, should we also have Sarah? Sorry if I've put Sarah on the spot.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: She will speak.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Sarah, go ahead.

SARAH KIDEN: I've put my hand up, I would like to join this group for the General Assembly. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, fantastic. So now we have Barrack, Daniel, Sarah, Aziz, four persons. I think it's okay if there is no other volunteers. Yesim, you are taking the notes? Thank you very much. Heidi, you have your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, this is just in response to Aziz's point on the promotional items, to let you know that At-Large staff will be obviously providing the popup banners for you. We will have the brochures for you, the AFRALO brochures and the business cards. We are also looking into pens, ICANN pens that we can give to each of the At-Large Structure representatives. Everyone who registers for the ICANN meeting will get their t-shirt, their ICANN 59 t-shirt, but again due to the budget limitations, that's basically what we can provide from ICANN staff. So if there's anything else that you wish to provide, then there will need to be some sponsorship being provided. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Heidi for the information. The popup banner is already there, the brochure are already there, the business cards are already there, so you will add only the pens. But I propose that the t-shirts for AFRALO community have – we take the same t-shirts, but we write on them AFRALO or something like this to personalize them. Can we do that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, we would give you black pens to write your names on them.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, no.

HEIDI ULLRICH: But we can look into that, but let's see what we can do with that. But we could also provide you with orange friendship bracelets that everyone could wear. We could provide you with something like that possibly as well.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, so we will discuss this with Gisella, Aziz, Sarah, and then you will have all the result of the discussion, Heidi. I know that we are short of money, but we have to try to make it really successful, this general assembly and this meeting of Johannesburg. Okay, so for –

DANIEL NANGHAKA: [inaudible]

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. Yes, who wants to speak?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Daniel.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Daniel. Are you on the Adobe Connect, Daniel?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: No, I'm not on Adobe Connect. I'm on [inaudible]

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yes. I know this may not be immediately relevant for this meeting, but also, we should also put into consideration that we need materials for the booth that will probably take place at the Africa Internet Summit in Nairobi. So if we're looking at the logistics, we should not forget to ask for Africa Internet Summit in Nairobi. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you very much. Okay, yes. This is something that we are thinking about, but I thought that we will address it a part of the General Assembly, because if we put it on the General Assembly, they would tell us, "It is too much, we don't have money." But if we take it as a special thing for our outreach and AFRINIC and the Internet in Africa Summit, it will perhaps be easier to get.

Okay, so now I think that we finished this point of the General Assembly. The promotional material should be in the showcase, and I think that group for the group should be formed today also. This group will work on the form. We always innovate, we never do the same two times successively. So we need to innovate this time also, so we need to see what is the form of this showcase, what kind of food and drink we will provide, what kind of promotional material we will provide. We already spoke about that. The discussion we had about the promotional material should be in this subgroup, the subgroup of the showcase. And also, this subgroup, we decide how it will be run this showcase. Shall there be speeches? Perhaps we'll not have, perhaps we'll have very few.

Who will we invite for it, etc? So we need a small group also for this showcase. Who wants to be on this group?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Daniel. You can add me on the shortlist.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, Daniel. Aziz, go ahead. Aziz, you want to speak or you want to be on the group? Go ahead.

AZIZ HILALI: I'd like to speak. Thank you, Tijani, and I wanted to just mention something. I was just told that we only have a few minutes left for our meeting. I think that we do have time to put together a team for the showcase. However, I do want to mention that we need to talk about outreach activities for sure, and especially as far as the Johannesburg University is concerned.

I think that the other point related to other things having to do with the showcase should be discussed later.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Aziz, do you have news about the university?

AZIZ HILALI: Yes. Well, actually there wasn't any news, and that's specifically what I want to talk about. It would be good to find someone who would be a

contact point in Johannesburg. There is the president who tried to get in touch with a professor at the computing department, but it didn't work.

I also was in touch with someone else and it did not work, but there is an issue that we are confronted with every time: the safety issue. How do we transport the ALSes or the speakers to the university? That is one thing that I really don't have much information about yet, but I would like to ask of those of you who are listening to let us know if you know of anyone who would be somebody who is enthusiastic, who knows us, to put us in touch with that person. Because so far, I've tried but I didn't really get any results.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Aziz. I will try my best. I have some contacts there. And what we have to speak about also for the outreach activities is about sponsoring. Can we have some money from sponsors to make extra or other kind of outreach? And I have a lot of things in my mind, but we have first to secure money.

We have – our interpreters were every and they gave us five minutes more or four minutes more now, so we have to finish in four minutes. I think that we need – perhaps the other forms of outreach, we can speak about them later. We are trying, everyone is trying. We can speak about this point later, for the next meeting. But now, I think that if we put in place those small groups to work on each of those points, we will be in a better position next time or the next call, and we'll have more, perhaps something done for each of those points. For the other kind of

outreach, we will address it in my point of view next time, in the next call.

Then now, I will go to the Any Other Business. I see two hands, Gisella and Heidi. I will give the floor to Gisella, who didn't speak before, and then Heidi. Gisella, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you very much. Can you hear me on the French channel?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, we can hear you, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you very much. To go back to point four as far as the showcase, I don't know if you remember, but in Helsinki last year, we had meeting A, B and C, and B is the [forum.] And so every evening, we had a cocktail event. There were different names for those cocktails, but it was a time when all of the participants could gather because there are less participants for those policy forums than there are for other meetings.

I am trying to figure out with the team that organizes the meetings whether or not it'll be the same format in Johannesburg, because it is the policy forum. So, if it is the same format, we need to think about how we will put together the showcase. So, let's wait a little bit before we start the process of organizing the showcase. We need to have a little bit more information from the general team – meeting team to figure out exactly what will happen during those evenings.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, exactly, Gisella. I agree. First, it would be good if you could get that information for us so we can know a little bit more about that. Heidi, you have the floor. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you very much. For the academic outreach, it may be useful to invite Adam Peake who works with the GSE Team to coordinate outreach to academia. It might make sense to coordinate the work here and not try to do something separately. Perhaps if you agree, we can invite Adam to the call next time. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you for this idea. We will give it some thought and we will figure out how to proceed next time. So, since we are out of time, let us figure out when would be a good time for the next call. I would say two weeks from now. Do you agree? What do you think? We could start meeting every other week. If we don't have much to discuss, then it'll be a very short meeting, but I think a meeting every other week might be a good idea so that we can figure out where we are.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Two people raised their hand and said that they were fine with that.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello, can you hear me?

INTERPRETER: Seun, you want to speak, Seun?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, please. Thank you.

INTERPRETER: Just a second.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So how about Thursday, 6:00 PM? Does that work for everyone? Are there people who do not agree? Are there objections for Thursdays every other week at 6:00 PM? 18:00, rather. Is there any objection?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello. I'd like to speak first.

INTERPRETER: Just a second, Seun. I'll ask.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Go ahead, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Please, quickly. We are out of time. We can hear you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. I just wanted to say that I assume the 6:00 PM is UTC. If it is UTC, then it's fine by me. The other thing I want to say is for the next meeting which is in two weeks' time, that will just basically be one week to ICANN 58. So, I think unless we have to meet, I would suggest that we just postpone it to perhaps after ICANN 58 since we will be meeting at ICANN 58 anyway. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Seun. It would not be a conflict. We meet on the 11th, and our meeting would be on the 2nd. So there's not a conflict. And I would say that in Copenhagen, we will have an informal meeting. If you are present, if you're in Copenhagen, we can have an informal meeting to figure out if we have contacts on site, if we can figure out what sponsors to target, and so forth.

So, Gisella, you have your hand raised, but we are actually out of time. But go ahead anyway. No? Okay, Gisella does not want to speak anymore. Is there something else that you wanted to mention, Aziz? Anyone else? Otherwise, we're done. Aziz, anything?

AZIZ HILALI: Yes. Okay, Thursday the 2nd we will talk about the action items that we discussed, and we will continue to communicate through e-mail. I wanted to also thank Tijani for chairing this meeting for me. Thank you everyone for participating.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you all. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Aziz, just really quickly, I'm wondering – yes, thank you. Just really quickly, I'm wondering if for the next meeting we can hear back from each of those small groups that we formed today to see if they've made some progress on generating some ideas. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: Yes, of course. The small groups that we formed will need to meet before the next meeting then, and will need to give us a report on what they have done. So, we need to actually stop. We have very patient interpreters today, and I will also thank our staff, our excellent staff. Thank you all for your participation, and I hope that the Johannesburg meeting will be very successful. Thank you very much.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you, bye.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you, bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you, bye.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely rest of the day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]