
GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the LACRALO Monthly call on Monday the 20th of February at 23:00 UTC.

On the Spanish channel Humberto Carrasco, Maritza Aguero, Carlos Vera, Anahí Menéndez Ruiz, Sergio Salinas Porto, Marcelo Telez, Javier Chandía, Emmanuel Alcántara, Merrick Hoben, Aida Noblia, Lito Ibarra, Vanda Scartezini, Alberto Soto, and Leon Sanchez.

On the English channel we have Holly Raiche, Merrick Hoben – apologies, Merrick is on the English channel – Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Glenn McKnight, and Alan Greenberg.

We don't currently have anyone on the Portuguese channel.

On the French channel Nikenley Severe.

Apologies noted from Alyne Andrade, Ricardo Holmquist, and Vladimir Davalos.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Mario Aleman, and myself, Gisella Gruber.

This evening we have captioning in Spanish, and our captioner is Maylou.

We also have Spanish, Portuguese, and French interpretation. On the Spanish channel we have Veronica and David. On the Portuguese channel, Bettina and Esperanza. And on the French channel, Claire.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Please note that we only have one French interpreter this evening, so French interpretation will run for 60 minutes only.

And also to let you know that Heidi Ullrich from staff has joined us on the call.

If I could please also remind everyone to please state their names when speaking not only for transcript purposes but to allow the interpreters to identify you on the various other language channels. And also to speak at a slow pace to allow for accurate interpretation.

Thank you very much and over to you Humberto.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Thank you, Gisella. I hope you can hear me.

I would like to thank you for attending this meeting and I'm now going to give the floor to Maritza Aguero so that we can adopt the agenda. But before that, I will give the floor to Silvia Vivanco.

Silvia, now you have the floor.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Good afternoon to you all. I just wanted to announce I have the pleasure to welcome our colleague Mario Aleman. He will be supporting the At-Large community and LACRALO from now on as part of his work in the Policy Team. Mario is an Engineer. He has a Master's in Electronic Engineering and he lives in Nicaragua in Managua. Mario speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese, and it is a pleasure for me to welcome him.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Now we would also like to welcome Mario then. It's a pleasure to have you with us and to have you as part of our staff.

Maritza, you then now have the floor to adopt the agenda.

MARITZA AGUERO: Thank you very much. Good afternoon and good evening. I hope that you can hear me. Can you hear me? Okay. Thank you then.

Let's now raise the agenda. We will start with the Mediation Report in the Los Angeles meeting. This will be presented by Merrick Hoben who will talk to us about the progress and what happened during the meeting. We will have a clear focus on what has happened and what will come.

Then we will have a three-minute report – We apologize we cannot hear Maritza anymore.

Then we will review the public consultations of ALAC. This will be by Leon Sanchez. This will last 10 minutes. Then we will hear a presentation on the Diversity working Group by Lito Ibarra who is a member of the ICANN Board member and he will tell us about this issue for 15 minutes.

Then we will hear a presentation on the At-Large report on ITEMS. This will be presented by Holly Raiche.

Interpreters apologize. We are having choppy audio.

This is a report that is up for public comment. There will be some issues that will be mentioned during this presentation. Then we will talk about FY18, the additional budget requests submitted. This presentation will be made by Heidi Ullrich who will update us on these budget requests.

The following one will be the report about ALAC member replacement and the LACRALO Regional Leaders election. This will be a report by Humberto Carrasco as the LACRALO Chair.

And then we will deal with Any Other Business and the [Captioning] Evaluation Survey by staff.

Thank you and now Humberto, you have the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Maritza. The agenda is then adopted.

We will now give the floor to Merrick so that we can hear a summary of what has happened in Los Angeles because there were many people who couldn't attend.

Merrick, you now have the floor. Go ahead please.

MERRICK HOBEN: Terrific and good evening to everyone. This is Merrick Hoben, one of the lead Mediators from Consensus Building Institute. I work jointly with my partner David Plumb, and we are very pleased and quite honored that you have assisted the tremendous group from Latin America and the

Caribbean to make great strides in building alignments on from January 30th to February 1st in Los Angeles.

That work was about addressing differences and strengthening work together in order to do the work of LACRALO and to ultimately contribute in a meaningful way to ICANN policy moving forward.

David and I are happy to report that we felt and we heard in that meeting great strides of constructive engagement and ability to resolve issues in three specific areas. There is work to be done but there is great progress in these areas. They are: first, clarification of the LACRALO Mission and its guiding principles, ways to participate and contribute to policy development moving forward, and finally strengthening LACRALO's governance to ensure transparency, predictability, and how it manages disputes.

There of course are existing policies and procedures that need to be taken into consideration as these efforts were made and these areas of alignment were built in Los Angeles. That's an important piece to be recognized on the call today. But putting that aside for a moment, the most important thing is to take this opportunity to have those that participated in the meeting also clarify what they believe was the most constructive and helpful elements of this engagement, and also what they believe that will be most helpful going forward.

CBI – David and myself – want to put emphasis on just a handful of things. The first is a procedure for receiving feedback on the outputs from the meeting, and that there is a methodology that everyone feels comfortable with to provide that feedback when they're ready. And I

believe that several of the folks on the call today – Humberto and others – will describe their expectations in that regard.

The other is about governance and the Governance Committee and how that might be re-engaged as a matter of taking some of these suggested actions that are necessary to build forward from the meeting in Los Angeles and to put those into a timeline where there is commitment, where there is clarity, and there is predictability about how those things will happen.

I will pause there and ask if my colleague David Plumb if he is on the line – I believe he is – wants to add anything to what I’ve said, and then invite after that key members of both those that were from the Latin America region and the Caribbean to offer additional comments.

David, any thoughts first?

On the English channel everyone, I’m not picking up anything just to clarify.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, are we being interpreted? Is David being interpreted?

INTERPRETER: We are not hearing David so he is not being interpreted.

MERRICK HOBEN: Okay. So let’s pass on David for the moment unless he is picking up the audio from me now.

Let me ask first just to move us forward because I know time is precious

–

DAVID PLUMB: This is David. Can you hear me?

MERRICK HOBEN: Yes, Now I can hear you, David. Okay, I think it's actually getting repeated. David, I think your audio's bad so could I ask just for the moment until we get the audio worked out for David if there was any comments from team members of the group from Latin America and also from the Caribbean that might want to add some comments regarding the meeting outcomes and their experience?

Hi all. I'm not sure if the pause is normal. I'm just on hold to see if anyone wants to add comments from the Latin American contingent as well as the Caribbean contingent.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I think Vanda is asking for the floor, Merrick. Would you like to give Vanda the floor?

MERRICK HOBEN: Yes please.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Good evening to you all. I think you are right. This was a very positive meeting. I personally hope that we can get the results for these very specific issues that we can get the main points and that we can get some kind of conclusion so that the [rest of] LACRALO members can give their suggestions and to see whether we can walk the path based on what we agreed there.

I think it was a very good experience for us all. It was a positive experience, but I think we need to continue. We need to progress and to go ahead to have palpable results so that they can be implemented in our region. Thank you very much.

MERRICK HOBEN:

Thank you. [That's] from those that were from the Caribbean group that were with us and the additional perspectives.

Maybe Alberto has a further comment. Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO:

I would like to provide you with a Los Angeles summary. I would say it was intense, deep, sincere, very open, very listened to. We learned to listen and speak. Those who did not go to Los Angeles know that this is a path open for us to continue.

Humberto and I will present a few more issues so that we can discuss priorities, actions, etc. but I do believe that this is the path to go forward. Thank you very much.

MERRICK HOBEN: Thank you, Alberto. I just wanted to comment also in terms of the path forward. There is much to do. There is work to be done. And CBI is available to assist in that process to the degree that LACRALO leadership and membership would like that assistance. So we will be in conversation with ICANN staff and also with leadership as a matter of determining how CBI can assist you so you do not feel that you have lots to do but you don't have the support. CBI can support you and will support you, and we would very much enjoy the opportunity continue helping with your essential work of developing meaningful policy and in guidance with respect to your engagements. So thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Merrick. It was definitely a very, very, productive meeting. I actually think it was good for us to clarify many things. We are very happy with the results that we are getting so we are very optimistic in the end.

We are now going to give the floor to Sergio Salinas Porto. Sergio, now you have the floor.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Can you hear me? Good afternoon and good evening to you all. I am going to try to be brief so that I don't repeat what my colleagues have said. I think that the whole Los Angeles activity was very revealing and this is the path that we're going to go forward to reach good aims in future.

I think this was a very good start and I applaud that. In the meeting, we discussed a few issues in connection with our internal laws. Our laws have caused some issues, and even though there is a working group that dealt with some documentary tools to discuss them in the region, I did ask [inaudible] and our leaders in the region to call a new meeting of the Governance Group that I now chair so that we can re-discuss all the laws and we can start making calls to those who want to engage and who want to continue participating in those groups.

There is also a possibility to go away from the group if you want and to have a call to call upon the 15 members who were in the Los Angeles meeting and who had some progress in discussing these laws to resume this issue, and I mean resume from scratch. Very probably those documents that were never put to vote or were never for consideration or approval while those documents may be support for new discussion but I actually believe this is a time to start with a fresh page to know that we can have now after all this time new laws that can support the new and modern processes in the region and I think this is the right time to do this.

So I would like to invite first the staff to create a Doodle poll that would last for two or three days so that we can have dates and all that so that next week or the other one we can start working with the time, with metrics, and to reach an agreement on anything that we need to do. We have already done an exercise. We know what is it that we need to do to study these in depth and to then put it on paper.

So we would like to call upon all of those who would like to discuss what we need to do with our internal laws so that they can sit down with a

fresh piece of paper and to have the conviction that we need to produce a document that would be good for now and for the future. That, I believe, is what I wanted to say and thank you for the opportunity to participate in this call. Thank you very much.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Leon, you have the floor. Go ahead please.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Sorry, Humberto. But I couldn't hear you. Could you repeat please?

MARITZA AGUERO: Dev, please. You have – sorry, Merrick. This is a question for you. Dev, go ahead, please.

Dev, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: [A] welcome thing to happen given our difficulties of trying to understand each other. I think the face-to-face meeting and our discussions and through the guidance of the mediators really I think helped produce I would say some good documents that tried to capture at least some of the core principles that we needed to come to understand each other with.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these principles can be developed further and done in an inclusive manner to the benefit of all in the Latin American and Caribbean regions. That's it.

MARITZA AGUERO: Thank you very much, Dev, for your comment. Now I will give the floor to Sergio Salinas Porto. Please be brief, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Just very briefly, anyone interested in participating please join now. There is an e-mail for the working group so that you can receive the Doodle poll for our next meeting or teleconference. So please if you're interested in participating, please join us. Thank you.

MARITZA AGUERO: Thank you very much, Sergio. I would like to thank Merrick for his explanation and to all the participants. Now we will continue this agenda. Now I would like to give the floor to Leon Sanchez. He will be talking about ALAC topics.

So Leon, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

LEON SANCHEZ: As we know, there are some people responsible for drafting a document for comment so this is something pending and we need someone to become volunteers for this. We also have the reply to the CCWG when it comes to the AC and SO Accountability. There was a questionnaire being created by the subgroup in charge of reviewing the Accountability of the ACs and SOs. You know this is the supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees, and in this sense they are looking for this questionnaire to be answered in order to provide input for the working

group to continue its activity in order to create or issue certain recommendations for strengthening these Accountability and Transparency mechanisms of these ACs and SOs should have because they're the players of the ICANN community.

So this questionnaire was created and it was published for public comment on January the 30th so we are now ready to provide our input. This is a 40-day public comment period. Therefore, the period will be closing during the first 15 days of March and then if you have any question or any comment you can post your comment. This can be done through LACRALO or through any RALO or region.

Of course, this is something that is important for the RALOs, so I would kindly urge you to review this questionnaire and of course if you consider that this is something relevant for your region you can work with it in your region. Of course, we are also commenting or we're also working on some other public comments. This is the initial report of the GNSO regarding the Curative Remedies for the NGO and [OIDs]. I mean this is the intergovernmental organizations and international governmental organizations – in order to, of course, be able to access these Curative Remedies for the protection of domain names.

In this case, the report deals with the fact that or if there is a need to modify the UDRP for these organizations to be able to have a better access to these curative remedies. This preliminary report has issued five preliminary recommendations that, of course, might be amended according to the input being received during the public comment period. In this case, there is no responsible people from ALAC that are

[no] for drafting a statement but of course, if you want to be part of this debate the floor is open for you to provide your input.

And finally, the third issue which is being commented in ALAC is the draft report issued by the At-Large Review Working Party. We will have further details on this report provided by Holly or Cheryl. You know there is a working group that was created to provide support to this report and the idea is to provide comments. However, in coordination with the other ALAC members and the LACRALO Secretariat, we created a regional working group for providing input regarding the recommendations issued on this report.

I believe it's very important for you to be part of this working group to review the recommendations. We have a disadvantage, and this is that the recommendations have not been translated to different languages. They are not translated into the five UN languages, but of course there is a request for translation and the idea is to have a translation of at least the recommendations into the five UN languages.

There is a summary of the report which is translated into the five UN languages, but there is a very important part which is missing and these are the five recommendations provided by this ALAC Review Working Party. This is in general terms, Maritza, what ALAC is discussing right now and of course I'm open to any question or any comment. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Leon. Alejandro Pisanty, you have the floor. Go ahead please.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Hello. Good afternoon. Can you hear me okay? Can you hear me?

MARITZA AGUERO: Yes. Go ahead, please.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Thank you. Leon, could you please explain what you mean by “curative remedies?” This is the first time that this is being presented to LACRALO, at least in Spanish. So it’s good for us to have this information provided but now that we’re paying attention to the activities of the Board candidates, I believe it is high time for us to know about this and what is the project being implemented and how we can obtain an [inaudible] reply by LACRALO.

LEON SANCHEZ: Unfortunately due to time restrictions I won’t be able to explain here what “curative remedies” are, however, I may give you very brief explanation.

These are the remedies or the measures that a registrar may have, for example, in order to obtain the transfer of a domain name or otherwise to suspend a domain name. So in this case, we’re talking about different international organizations, for example, the Red Cross or the Olympics Committee. They need these curative rights or remedies. They need to access to these remedies through [UDRP] or URS. You know I can take a lot of time and explain this to you, but since this is not the topic of this

call, of course, I will be willing and happy to provide further explanation through the mailing list.

I would be very happy to circulate the preliminary report that was issued by the GNSO just in case you're interested to know about this and. Of course, if you have any interest in this you can provide your input as well. Thank you.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Leon, thank you very much for your explanation. It would have been better for you to provide this explanation at the very beginning of your comments. That would have been good.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Leon, for your comment and thank you very much, Alejandro, for your question.

Emmanuel, please you have the floor. Go ahead, please. I see your hand is up on the AC room.

Emmanuel, are you there? Hello, Emmanuel. Can you hear me?

EMMANUEL ALCANTARA: Hello. Can you hear me? I will repeat my question. I think that you did not hear me.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes please.

EMMANUEL ALCANTARA: Leon, thank you very much for your comments. I only have one question. These curative remedies, what is the impact that they would have on the roles being provided by the Dispute Resolution centers?

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much for your question. If there is any modification, these centers in charge of providing Dispute Resolution Procedures will have to apply these modifications and they would have to stick to the procedure. Nowadays it is not possible to foresee if there will be an impact because the recommendations are being issued by the working group and according to these, the idea is not to modify the UDRP nor the URS in order to deal with specific cases for the GNSO and for the ccNSO. But of course, we have to wait for the end of the public comment period and we have to wait for the report of the working group, and based on that we will have to assess if there would be an impact and how to proceed and how to manage the procedures for the future.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Emmanuel. Your question was very interesting. And thank you, Leon, for your answer.

We don't really have much time, so now we will go on to the next presentation by Lito Ibarra. Lito, you now have the floor. Go ahead, please.

LITO IBARRA:

Thank you, Humberto. Can you hear me? Okay. I will try and see if we can recover some time.

The report that we got on Transparency has to do with diversity. This was the second group and I said it “was,” because then a number of members is decreasing. It was the second largest group out of the 9 groups it had more than 40 participants. Now there are almost no members from Latin America and the Caribbean involved. We have had 11 meetings. These were one-hour meetings, and we had 223 hours of calls.

As I said, [assistance] has fallen. It’s an issue that we have discussed with the co-Chairs and with the CCWG. It is concerning but we do recognize that people are tired and that people don’t have the “pressure” of the contract being expired.

But now I want to refer specifically to what is so far been defined in the Diversity Group. This is a document that is still live. It’s in progress. That’s I would like to report what we have done so far. As for the definition of “diversity,” we have agreed that there is a definition of “diversity” within ICANN, so this is referred to ICANN’s capacity to create an inclusive environment in the different aspects of the stakeholders and the different levels of people, the community, and the Board.

We have established seven or eight diversity elements. I’m going to read them very quickly and then I’m going to mention the last one that we have not added it yet. There is geographic representation, language, gender, age, physical capacity, disabilities or limited capacities, skills,

experiences, diversity in stakeholder groups, and the last one and most recent on which is still being debated is still in discussion is the diversity in points of view that is associated to the other diversities. All of these are the eight elements of diversity that have been discussed and developed. There has been a definition under scope, etc.

Another important issue is the measurement of diversity, and in this sense we discussed how to measure these issues to be able to prove considering the premise that diversity is good in all of its senses. So we need to see how to measure it. How do we know that we are progressing within ICANN as organization in all the different hierarchies and the public forum or these face-to-face meetings, calls for different work groups? We need to see how can we measure this?

There are diversity issues that are not so related to what we have defined, but we can add some other sensitive data to privacy. These measurements can also be related to voluntary information – information that you provide voluntarily. It could be information related to age or some other issues that we would like to measure, and there are also some more general measurements that we can do based on the statistics that we have. So in this sense, there have been contributions on measuring diversity at a level that does not only have basic characteristics but it also includes engagement [or] participation, for example, using the microphone in the public forum, participating actively in documents, in working groups, etc. All of this is now being discussed.

Another big issue that we have dealt with in the Diversity Group is a questionnaire that we would provide to the Support Organizations and

to the Advisory Committees. So far this questionnaire includes questions such as, “What are the elements” – that I read before – “that are relevant for the organization? Which ones would you add?” This is something we would ask to each Support Organization and to each Advisory Committee – “What are the other diversity elements? How can you measure your consistency? Which of these is actually used to measure the consistency?”

I think the different points of view have been included. There are initiatives in the group. There are practices in diversity. As I said, the questionnaire is still being defined and it will be sent to the Support Organizations and the Advisory Committees within ICANN to add more diversity throughout ICANN.

There’s another idea that has been very recently circulated in the group and we are trying to define it, especially to agree whether we will have the final version of the document. And this is the creation of a Diversity Office within ICANN. Of course, it needs to comply with [functions] such as establishing an audit for diversity, collect information, have the strategy for diversity, publish diversity annually within ICANN, and to provide proposals to improve diversity within ICANN as well.

The last item I want to mention is that on January 13th at a meeting held by the Diversity Group, we used the ALAC Pilot for captioning with very good results, and this has been reported as well. But I also wanted to mention it here. We expect that in ICANN58 we will have the first reading of the results of this group so that we can continue working. We don’t really know whether this will be ready for ICANN59.

That's all I wanted to report. Thank you and I am now open for questions.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you, Lito. Alejandro Pisanty has raised his hand. Alejandro you now have the floor.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Thank you, Humberto. I hope you can hear me.

Thank you, Lito, for this report. I want to make three comments. One is the diversity issue needs to be more significantly watched now that it will have less responsibilities. There are many decisions that the Board was forced to make under criteria where geographic diversity and other kinds of diversity was important. These decisions are now being made by the SO and AC leaders who are not accountable, who do not consider this criterion.

I personally experienced integration of the Stability, Security, and Resiliency Review which did not include any person – and I repeat – any person from Latin America. Because I was one of the self-proposed candidates, their rules changed from independent to dependent of the SOs and ACs. I'm not going to enlarge on that a lot, but I do want to say that diversity is more adrift now with these new mechanisms. Leon has already referred to the same thing when there was the At-Large candidate presentation to the Board.

Secondly, in the meeting in Los Angeles for the Mediation process that Merrick has already referred to as well as other people as well at the

beginning of this meeting, we stressed that aside from the original criteria and language it is also very important to emphasize the functional diversity criteria which [does] have an excessive weight of populations of lawyers, for example, or people who only have technical orientation and who are only oriented to Political Sciences or people who defend Human Rights or are activists.

Thirdly, I heard with panic that there is an affirmation by you, that there is a proposal to create a Diversity Office in ICANN. We need no more bureaucracy. ICANN's money and the [opportunity] costs of these committees originate or create reports, [counter] reports and you also mentioned an audit. This is a bad use of the money of registrants. We need to solve problems and not to create new structures to watch compliance.

This is going to be my last [phrase]. We need to go together with Copernicus and to fight Ptolemy. We need to fight these cycles and epicycles where there are corrective mechanisms for the watch mechanisms. We need to go away from inefficiency and solve problems. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Lito, you can answer if you want to. You need to be very brief.

LITO IBARRA: I'm going to be very brief. Alejandro, I just want to confirm that the diversity is becoming more critical. We need to give more attention to it. And it is true that there are not many Latins in these groups, but

there will be time for consultation for everybody and we will be able to respond to this.

There has also been a disclosure, and what I did was showing what are the ideas in the group. The Office will probably take time. It will have pros and cons from the different individuals who are going to give their opinion on this. Thank you very much, Alejandro, and thank you all.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Lito, for your answer. This is a very interesting issue. Unfortunately, we don't really have a lot of time, and we're now going to give the floor to Holly and Cheryl who are here as well.

Holly and Cheryl, you now have the floor to see what we are doing with the At-Large ITEMS report. Please go ahead.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you. Cheryl can add to what I have to say. I recognize the time is very short. Could I run down first the timetable for the review? I'm sure all of you are aware of the review of the At-Large. Where we're up to now is there is a working party of ALAC which has been meeting. It is going to meet again this week and again next week when there is also a public, a community-wide, webinar for everyone which will be on the 27th at 13:00 UTC, and I'm sure there'll be links for that that'll be sent out.

The actual schedule for within Copenhagen is we are going to have – “we” being ALAC, the At-Large Community – are meeting with the consultants at ITEMS and we are also going to have our own individual

meeting to finalize the ALAC response to the review. There will also be a public workshop with ITEMS and the community, and that will be on Wednesday the 15th of March, from 15:15 to 16:45. All of the Copenhagen meetings will be on the Copenhagen schedule which is due up today.

That clearly is not going to be the end of the process. The public comment closes the end of March. In mid-April, ITEMS presents its draft final report to the At-Large Working Party and I'm sure that if other people are interested they could participate. There will be then mid-weekly or weekly calls between April and May for us to meet if we need to with ITEMS before the ITEMS report goes to the Board. And of course, at that stage then it becomes the Board's and the Board's Organizational Review Committee coming up with the agreed processes for what is agreed as part of the review outcome.

In terms of what is perhaps more important for this meeting, what we want is to hear from as many of you [are] as possible and it'd be nice to have a LACRALO response coming in. As many of you are aware, part of the report of the ITEMS Group has been to highlight a view that there are a few ALAC members who do a lot of the heavy lifting. In fact, that's probably not true, although that may appear that way. What I've been very heartened by is that a lot of people have contributed comments and I'm really grateful for that. There's been some very useful input. There are now three ways to make comments and I urge all of you to avail yourselves of one of the three ways.

There is a Google Doc, there is a wiki page, and Alan has put up his own just a review of the recommendations and a response to those

recommendations because it's very clear that in the ALAC response to the review, our response to each of the recommendations that has been made by the Review Team need to be very clear. And if you look at the chat, the links are there and I'm sure that Ariel or one of the ICANN staff can resend all of those links. But I'd like to stress, we do want to hear from as many of you as possible and if Alberto, you can coordinate a LACRALO response even on a couple of the main issues, that would be really very helpful.

Cheryl, do you have anything to add?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Holly, Thank you. Very briefly, I think it's an excellent move for LACRALO to have a team looking at this. What is also very important is that we have as many of you and your At-Large Structure members – in other words, not just limited to your leadership of your ALSes – but please ensure that the rank and file membership feels equally welcome to join our webinar because it will be an important opportunity for those who do not primarily operate in English or indeed even have English as a second language and of course for those who do have English as a first language but who have not been able to immerse themselves so completely in this all-too-brief a process.

We are, as Holly said, very much against a tight timeline, but the webinar that is coming up is an ideal opportunity not only to ask questions and to have those answered but also to help have input because we will be taking conversation and comment from the webinar into our ongoing processes and put that into our responses. And let's

also make sure – and this might be appropriate to be a formal request from LACRALO – so as a non-English speakingly dominant RALO, you ensure that the remote participation for those advertised forums and meetings during the Copenhagen meeting are provided and that they are provided with Spanish and one would hope also at least French interpretations.

I think it is something that needs to be noted just in final that yes, the Executive Summary of this report from the ITEMS Team was translated and is out in Spanish but sadly, the actual recommendations – as Alan pointed out in his e-mail to staff who helped manage these external reviews – the recommendations of course not included in that Executive Summary. I won't go into commenting on what poor form in terms of drafting that is, but it is. But Alan has had a response from staff that they will extract the recommendation section and also, I believe, have those translated into the UN languages and I suspect if we need Portuguese as well, that should be asked for specifically.

Again, this is something that I think the RALO asking for would be important for two reasons. First of all, you deserve this. Why put out something in a language that is meant to facilitate when in fact it doesn't have [anything] worth facilitating other than perhaps, as Alan also suggested, an advertisement for their particular model that they're promoting for the new look of At-Large and that that is all that's in the Executive Summary, an advertisement. But also because it is a clear and demonstratable point that RALOs and At-Large Structures and end users within your region and indeed others are engaged, do want to engage, and can engage, through our existing system.

That's it from me. It's a bit of an advertisement but I couldn't help myself.

HOLLY RAICHE:

And finally, any questions or comments and I'm very happy to reply whether you're using the Skype chat or whether you're using e-mail, happy to take any questions now or later. And to answer the question where the comments are put, I seriously don't care because I've been reading all of them everywhere. Thank you, Dev. Your comments were sent in December. Don't worry. They will be picked up.

I've seen an awful lot of comments but I'm really heartened I have to say by the number of people who have made comments, and just keep them coming. Again, to repeat what Cheryl has said, talk to your ALSes as well so that we can say to the Board, we can say with hands over hearts, "Look, this is not just a few of us talking. This is all of you talking. This is all of us talking." And while some of the recommendations in the report are very useful, either because we already do them and aren't they clever to notice, or, "Good suggestion. Thank you very much." There are some thing that many of us take issue with. More than just take issue with, come up with constructive suggestions. Many of you have made many constructive suggestions for which we are grateful. So thank you.

Alberto, I think if there are no questions –

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Holly. Alberto, I will make my comment and then I will give you the floor if I may.

From the RALO point of view, there is an initiative being led by Olivier. So if we see that there is any constructive comment or measure, as I said before, LACRALO created a working group and sometimes it is paradoxical that some of the critics have to do with participation or have to do with the participation of the members in general. However, this topic, this issue, implied the participation of many members from At-Large.

So I believe this is a very interesting and relevant topic, and we as a RALO will contribute to the issue. So Alberto Soto, now I will give the floor to you.

ALBERTO SOTO: I have a comment, more than a question. I know the group is already created. It's going to be coordinated by Harold Arcos. I will be contributing to this working group, and now I would like to make the call because this is the first time this working group is being announced. I would kindly ask you to the ALAC members then I would like to ask Maritza and Humberto to call volunteers and to explain why it is important for ALSes to participate in this topic.

I don't like the report as it is. We need to recognize all the mistakes that we have made. I believe that the process we carried out in Los Angeles has opened our minds so let's acknowledge, let's realize, all the mistakes that we have made and if there is any modification being made because as we know, there are no foundations for this. I believe

that with our effort, we will be able to correct everything that we made wrongly. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you. I see Harold and Aida [inaudible].

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I see many people requesting the floor. I don't know if it is Harold first or Aida. Harold, you have the floor and then Aida.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you very much, Humberto. Can you hear me?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes. Go ahead, please.

HAROLD ARCOS: I wanted to support the importance of this working group being created. Please let's take into account that the initiatives that we see such as the captioning initiatives that we are now having on the AC room, this is the result of our effort, our initiatives. So when it comes to diversity, we need to take into account that in order to have diversity we need to generate, we need to create, the pace for that. So that's why it is important for us to get involved in this very important process in relation to the revision, and it is important for us to provide our input because based on that – based on the proposals provided by the

working group – we will be able to shape ICANN of the future and the ICANN that we have nowadays.

From our regions and understanding that diversity is not a restriction but it is something positive that help us to work together. So we need to involve in the discussion. We need to provide input. We need to foster the discussion and to contribute to new solutions in order to be able to shape these new [paces] for this review process to take place, and this review process allowed us to create the bottom-up model as it has been developed in ICANN. So this is my invitation. Thank you very much, Humberto.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Aida, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

AIDA NOBLIA: Hello. Can you hear me?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, Aida. We can hear you. Go ahead, please.

AIDA NOBLIA: Okay. I have an echo in my line, but I'm also part of the Review Team and this is a quite particular topic due to the approach being provided by ITEMS. And there are some issues regarding the argument being provided. Although it is true, the fact that the region and that the ALSes and RALOs do need a revision, there are certain differences that we

need to solve. So I believe it is important for us to create that working group within LACRALO and I would like to be part of that team as well.

There are many elements, many things, and this needs to be modified when it comes to those structures that has been working right now. I mean the ALSes, the RALOs, are included in the ITEMS proposal, so we need to take this into account and also the ALAC functioning and the community itself.

This is something that we need to take into account and full participation is required for this, input is also required for this, and we know we have a period of 30 at least. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Thank you very much, Aida, for your comments. We are quite limited when it comes to the time, so I would like to thank Holly and Cheryl for their comments, for putting this topic into consideration.

Now I would like to make a point of clarification. We will be officially sending an e-mail to the list calling for volunteers for this working group to review At-Large, so an e-mail will be sent to the mailing list and your participation is more than welcome. So I would like to thank Holly and Cheryl for having presented this topic for us.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you very much.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Now I would like to invite Heidi Ullrich so that she can provide details and the update about the budget. So Heidi, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

Heidi, are you on the call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Can you not hear me?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, Heidi. Go ahead, please. We can hear you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you very much.

I was invited to present a little bit about the Fiscal Year 2018 additional budget requests, and I'm going to give just a bit of background first on what they actually are. For the Fiscal Year additional budget requests are in general a way that the Supporting Organizations, the Advisory Committees, and the stakeholder groups, are able to request... It's a dedicated part of the overall ICANN Annual Budget that is set aside to take into account specific requests from the community for activities that are not already included into that core recurring ICANN budget.

There's normally around \$500,000 set aside for these additional budget requests, and At-Large has shown an increasing number of approved Fiscal Year additional budget requests including, for example, the captioning that you see on today's LACRALO call. So very useful projects

and some of the General Assemblies have also been in the past Fiscal Year requests. A lot of the additional activities that At-Large has seen are through approved budget requests. At-Large has used them, for example, I think there were six or so about five years ago and now this year there have been 24 additional budget requests submitted by At-Large.

For the timeline, what this timeline is, is the Finance timeline. And At-Large has an additional set of procedures that is in the kick-off period that closed on the 10th of February. So what happened between the kick-off start on the 15th of December last year to the 10th is that the ALAC Finance and Budget Subcommittee or the FBSC put a call out to all of the RALOs and to At-Large for these requests and they had two calls in between that time in which they reviewed as a group the requests that came in.

So then what happens – and we've submitted four LACRALO requests and I'll go through those briefly in just a moment – so what the next stage is, is that it goes internal for review all of the requests across all AC/SOs and SGs, and then during the ICANN58 in Copenhagen there'll be a chance for each of the groups to talk to finance about their requests. Then there'll be an additional, a final, assessment, internally and then the Board will see which ones are being... they'll approve them during their Board meeting on the 31st of May. And at that time, for the Fiscal Year 2018 requests, they will be able to start on the 1st of July which is the start of the ICANN Fiscal Year, through next year – 2018, 30th of June. That is the period in which those that have been approved will be able to be implemented.

Let's take a look at the four that were approved by the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. There were a total of five but one was seen to be not of a sufficient quality for being approved on that.

The first one was one submitted by Alberto Soto. This is one called, "Creating Leaders in LACRALO." And as you can see on the slide, the aim of this was to basically be follow-on to the LACRALO Assembly which you heard earlier about today. And so it's a means to increase leadership within LACRALO, and that's by using for example the online tool ICANN Learn as well as other tools that will increase leadership and management expertise. That's a very good request.

The second one was submitted by Humberto and Maritza on behalf of LACRALO. This one is called, "Challenges for the At-Large Community in Latin America and the Caribbean." It's a face-to-face meeting. This again is based as a follow-up to the LACRALO Assembly and this is a two-part meeting to be held on the sidelines of a major meeting in either the Latin American or Caribbean region. The first part of this meeting will be to discuss Work Stream 2 issues such as Privacy and Human Rights. And then immediately following that would be a workshop for members of LACRALO to continue to implement the LACRALO roadmap, which was tentatively agreed to during the Assembly. Another very strong request there.

The third is one submitted by Harold Arcos, and it's the third encounter on, "Internet for Development and Social Transformation." This takes place in Venezuela and it's two days of talks with face-to-face and online workshops and hubs in several of the LAC countries to access some of the issues related to ICANN. So also a strong request there.

And fourthly was one submitted by [Enredo], and it's a means that people who would complete a series of the ICANN Learn courses or other courses would be able to get a certificate from the Autonomous University in Colombia. The people from that university would need to be able to go to a couple of ICANN meetings. That's also an interesting request as well.

Again, the results of this will be known on the 31st of May which ones have been approved and we look forward to any questions that you may have on this. Thank you very much.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO:

Thank you very much, Heidi, for the summary, for the report. We are really happy with this because many community projects were presented and this means that we are participating, we are getting involved, and we are learning how to participate in these topics. So thank you very much, Heidi, for your comments.

I see no questions, no comments, so we will continue with the agenda. The next item on the agenda has to do with the report for the replacement of Leon Sanchez. As you know, Leon Sanchez is a candidate to the Board so he cannot vote because he is a candidate so there was a consultation in LACRALO and LACRALO decided upon consensus that the person replacing him would be Fatima Cambroner. She will be taking his position. Fatima will be replacing Leon Sanchez.

This is, very briefly, I would also like to say that we will be sending to the list by tomorrow an e-mail, and in this e-mail we will inform some details about the election of the LACRALO leaders. We said that certain

decisions would be postponed until May but the idea is to provide some information about this. This is upon request of ALAC, but realized that there were certain details that needed further explanation. So we will be providing two alternatives. One alternative means that there is full agreement. This means that the LACRALO leaders will stay up until the last general meeting in October this year – that will be ICANN60. So we will be providing all the details about this. And the second alternative would be that... in both cases the elections will be held in May but after the election in May, the candidates will take position in June but this will be delayed until June, 2018.

So all these consultations will be posted for comment, for consultation. We will be sending this information to the mailing list and then after that we will be voting on the topic, because the idea is to precede according to the opinion of the majority of the LACRALO members.

This is what I had to say regarding this topic. So if there are no questions or no comments, we will now proceed to the other item on the agenda. This is Any Other Business. I agree with Alejandro's comment. What Alejandro is saying is true. And Alejandro, let me tell you this – it is due to an e-mail that you sent me that we realized the importance of this. So we will be circulating this e-mail, of course, explaining the differences in these alternatives and that's why we need to vote on this because otherwise if we do not vote on this, we will be violating the Rules of Procedure.

We had already sent a mail to the Mediation mailing list, but now we will be circulating that information to the general mailing list in order to receive the necessary comments.

Any comments? Any questions?

Dev, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Just to mention something just since it's Any Other Business, something regarding the LACRALO Mediation's report. I just wanted to re-emphasize that the Mediators' interventions and guidance at the Los Angeles meeting was very helpful and it, I think, really allowed for that outcomes report to be developed in a relatively short time. One thing I just probably wanted to add or put for the record is that I think that the Mediators' assistance and guidance will be crucial to help focus and guide LACRALOs discussions on implementing the LACRALO's Mediation report. That's it.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Dev, for your comment. I see there are no other questions or comments so we will now proceed to the survey or evaluation for the captioning service.

Silvia, I give you the floor. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. Can you hear me?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes, Silvia. We can hear you. Go ahead, please.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you very much, Humberto. May I start with the survey for the captioning service?

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes. Go ahead, please.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I see that the questions are already there. So the captioning feature of the Adobe Connect room is part of a pilot. So please select one answer.

I see someone has his hand up.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: It's Carlton's hand. Carlton, go ahead, please.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Carlton, you have the floor. Go ahead, please.

The interpreters are telling me that they cannot hear Carlton Samuels. Please, Carlton. You have the floor.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I am trying to get myself heard. Is anybody hearing me now? Hello.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I can hear you, Carlton but you are quite faint.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I am talking as loud as I can. Are you hearing me any better now?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Carlton, I can hear you very clearly.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Okay. I wanted to make a comment about the captioning. It would be more useful if the captioning, given that the AC room, the primary audio is in Spanish, it would be more useful to have the captioning in English and vice versa. So if the primary audio is English, then the captioning should be in Spanish. I just wanted to make that suggestion. That would be more useful for us. Thank you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much, Carlton, for your comment. I think your comment will be taken into consideration. So thank you very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO: All these comments, as you know in the last question of the survey, you will have the chance of providing your input. I see Harold has his hand up so Harold, go ahead, please. You have the floor.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you very much, Silvia. Very briefly, I would like to say that in this captioning pilot we are providing an opportunity to people with certain disabilities to participate. That's why we're implementing this in the different languages. In, for example, NARALO this is being implemented in English. In our region this is a challenge because as you know, we have three languages. That's why, but we are taking Spanish and that's why we are using the captioning in the language of the AC room. This is what I wanted to mention in terms of the captioning pilot program.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you very much, Harold, for your comment. Let's continue with question number two. Question number two reads, "Please identify all the categories describing who you are." We have many people answering the survey so let's take some seconds.

Okay. Thank you very much. Next question please – question number three. "What benefit did you get from accessing the captioning stream?"

Let's go now to question number four, "Where else do you think captioning should be required?" Please vote. Mark your answers. Very good. We're getting loads of answers.

And the last one. This is an open question. Remember that this is a pilot to see how we can adapt it, and so it reads, "Where else do you think captioning should be required?" I am seeing now more answers. Lots of them now.

And the last one would be if there is any other final comments. As you type, let me tell you that we will also e-mail you a link so that you can provide more comments, and for those of you who are already out of the call can also answer this survey.

Thank you all for your active participation in this call.

If Humberto and Maritza have nothing else to add, I think we could now adjourn this call.

I see there are no comments so thank you all. Thank you, Maritza, and good night.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, everyone. The call has been adjourned and the audio will now be disconnected. Thank you for joining today's call and have a good day, good morning, good evening. Bye.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks again to the interpreters. Take care, all.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]