
GISELLA GRUBER: ...and good evening to everyone. A very warm welcome on this first ALAC call of 2017, on Tuesday the 24th of January at 04:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Alan Greenberg, Maureen Hilyard, Holly Raiche, Sébastien Bachollet, Andrei Kolensivok, Alberto Soto, Leon Sanchez, Harold Arcos, Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Yrjö Länsipuro, Oliver Crépin-Leblond, Glenn McKnight, Rinalia Abdul Rahim.

On the Spanish channel, there may be, apologies [inaudible], we have Harold Arcos and Alberto Soto.

On the French channel, we have Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong.

Apologies noted today from Julie Hammer, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Kaili Kan, Ariel Liang, Yeşim Nazlar, and Evin Erdogan.

We also have Dev Anand Teelucksingh has joined the call. Welcome Dev.

From staff, Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, my apologies, Ariel Liang is on the phone bridge. Thank you. And myself, Gisella Gruber.

Our French interpreters today are Claire and Isabelle.

On the Spanish channel, we have Veronica and David.

And on the Russian channel, we have [inaudible].

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

If I could please also just remind everyone to please state their names when speaking, not only for transcript purposes, but to allow the interpreters to identify you on the other language channel. And also...

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Oh, she disappeared.

ALAN GREENBERG: Have we lost Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, you may be on mute. Sorry, was that me?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Yes, that was you. You were on mute.

ALAN GREENBERG: But I'm not on mute anymore. I thought I heard you cut out, sorry. All right. The first item on the agenda is the approval of the agenda. Is there anyone who has any changes or any other business? And I have a question...

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: [Inaudible] only.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know who that was. I have a question for Rinalia, since you're on the call now, and your item is scheduled at the very end of the agenda, would you like us to move it up after some of our standard business?

That's for Rinalia to either type or speak.

Well, let's assume the agenda will stay the same. If Rinalia, no, Rinalia, we cannot hear you.

Can we try once more to get Rinalia to speak? Her microphone says she's speaking, but I hear nothing.

Yes, move it up. Okay, so we'll move it up until after the, let's say after the ALS, after the report, beginning of information discussion, and we hope, by then we'll...

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Can you hear me now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Yes, we can.

ALAN GREENBERG: Good. Thank you. Welcome, and we'll move you to the beginning of the session on the discussion. So, we'll just do the standing agenda items first, and I don't think they will take too long. I am hoping this

meeting will not last the full two hours, but we'll see. I'm rarely right when I say that.

Action items, I do not believe there is anything on there that needs the attention of the ALAC. There are a number of action items not completed yet, but I don't believe there is anything that needs our attention. I will note for staff, that when I check the action items, all of my action items including the ones that I haven't done, were ticked off as done.

So, I thank you for giving me that vote of confidence, but there is still a few things to be done.

And hearing nothing telling me I'm wrong on that item, we'll go on to the ALAC policy development activities. And I'm told Ariel is on the voice bridge. Are you doing it or is someone else doing it today?

ARIEL LIANG: Hi Alan, this is Ariel. Apologies for the background noise. I'm in a restaurant [inaudible], but I will do the policy section.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. That's where we are now.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. So, it's a short list. And the one that is in progress is on the public comment on the proposed renewals of [inaudible] sponsored registry

agreement. So, [inaudible] drafted a statement, and Alan, you're reviewing that draft statement. Do you have any updates on that?

ALAN GREENBERG: I need to get back to [Wafa] on that, I suspect the final result will be, we will not draft, we will not submit something, but I'm still discussing that with [Wafa]. So we will get back to the ALAC on that.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, thanks Alan. So the next one is on the new public comments, and the proposed charter amendments of the GNS or business constituency. I see that Maureen left a comment on the Wiki workspace, but it seems that she doesn't really recommend ALAC write a statement on that.

So, Maureen, do you want to add anything to that public comment?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, I just made a very brief introductory comment. And sort of like thought that somebody sort of like might jump in. But I didn't, you know, apart from sort of like congratulating them, I didn't think there was that much to add to it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Maureen. I looked at it also, and they have done a lot of work cleaning it up and formalizing a lot of things, but I didn't see anything that waved a red flag at me. I didn't read it very carefully though.

All right, will someone else be looking at that? Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, thanks, sorry. I'm not in the AC yet, I'm actually trying to finish my online ordering for shopping to be delivered almost 500 miles away, because I'll be travelling tomorrow to a [inaudible], it's actually 400.

I'm up to the credit card part, [inaudible] shortly. I've gone through it and I agree with Maureen's assessment. I don't think there is any point in saying how [inaudible] well met, but we may indeed choose to do it when we meet with them face to face wherever we're going next.

Where is that place that we're going next? Copenhagen, that's the one. So, that would be my way forward, although, Alan, I did just want to note, Maureen, when she and I were discussing this, was very impressed with the number of versions that had gone through. And I said, well Alan and I came within a couple of that number, and that was the third irritation with you.

ALAN GREENBERG: That just depends on how paranoid you are and how often you save the new number.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's it from me, thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: I tend to be quite paranoid about that. All right, back to you, Ariel. It looks like we're not going to do a statement on that.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, right. Thanks Alan. And on the next new public comment is on the GNSO initial report, on the INGO access to [inaudible] rights protection mechanisms policy development process. That public comment just opened last weekend, and will close on March the first.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, we should probably send that to our reactivated gTLD working group, which unfortunately, has not really been activated, even though we said we were going to. Anyone have any thoughts on how we get this looked at within the timeframe we have?

Clearly we are not going to convene a working group, and have it active, in time to do this. Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone care about these issues?

Let's put it to the ALAC mailing list and ask if anyone would want to take responsibility for it.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. That's all for the public comment.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Next item on the agenda is ALS applications. Who is taking that one?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi everyone. This is Heidi. I'll take that. So, just to let you know that we currently now have 217 At-Large structures, recently certified. I believe it was the same ones from last month, and we need some regional advice from AFRALO on a few of their At-Large structure applications.

I do note that there was an action item for staff to add the ALS application tracking page, and the individual member's page, and we'll see on the agenda that those have been them added in the main going forward.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we also decided that we would record on these agendas the number of unaffiliated members we have per region. If we can have an action item to make sure that gets done in the future. Specifically that is to add the, what is now, I believe, three numbers for the three RALOs that have individual members that we track them on a regular basis. Holly, your hand is up. Was that for the previous thing or is that for this one?

HOLLY RAICHE: ...previous thing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, well, let's finish the ALSs and then we'll come back to you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi. I think that's it.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. I also note, I remember that certainly for NARALO, there were some de-certifications that were pending, and then somehow, along the way, once we went to Hyderabad, we forgot to go back to them, or at least, I forgot to go back to them. So, if I can ask staff for an action item to reactive any certifications that were in the process of being started, which we seen to have forgotten about.

I don't know if there is only NARALO or if there are any others. So, that's a second action item. And Holly, back to you on the previous item.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you Alan. The thing that I was going to draw to people's attention is Julie's email that was an apology. She included a link to a comment on the health indicators. And I checked that out. There is a really interesting contribution from Steve Crocker in his personal capacity, but it makes a lot of really good points about new gTLDs.

And I think it is really worthwhile, having somebody actually look at this contribution, and because I think there are lots of issues there for end users. Just a thought. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. And that's something that's currently under vote, if I remember correctly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yup, yup.

ALAN GREENBERG: Are they saying things that we should have said if we were being alert enough to have said them?

HOLLY RAICHE: No Alan. Look, it is Steve Crocker who is clearly, clearly, clearly, technically really, really competent, totally familiar with the issues, not something that we would have necessarily would have picked up, but it's really interesting to read what he has to say. And in the process of reading it, I thought there may be some things that we should be thinking about.

It's not something we should have said.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you. Appreciate it. I had not read those comments yet. All right. We are going now onto reports on working groups, RALOs, liaisons or anyone else who has anything they feel they want to add verbally, in addition to the report that they have already published?

I'll add to that, before that is if they have published it. There are a number of parts of our organization that are not doing monthly reports on a very regular basis, and I will not point out who, but perhaps everyone wants to go look and see when the last time was, that all of the reports were done, and maybe someone has some work to do.

I see Maureen's hand is up, and someone was trying to speak. I'm not sure if it was Maureen or not.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It was Cheryl.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, I'll put you in the queue. Then Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Just very briefly. My report is online. But I just wanted to note that there was an announcement today that there were two applicants for the ccNSO liaison position and [inaudible] were met quite convincingly. And so that will be, is she here?

ALAN GREENBERG: She's not, I believe.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We can congratulate her.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. And Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks Alan. I'm the proud owner of a new laptop, so that will improve my ability to get things out of draft and up to date. However, the meeting that was held on the 19th, for the GNSO, there was, you know, the draft agenda went through as a formalized agenda, and all the matters were past through.

None of them had any particular [inaudible] relevant to us, with the exception of... Sorry.

I do apologize.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Cheryl...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes? Is that audio better?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry to interrupt you. Gisella speaking, yes. We are having audio issues and interpretation issues.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Is that audio better then?

ALAN GREENBERG: I can certainly hear you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Let's see how that goes. Just let me know if that's a problem.

GISELLA GRUBER: ...interpreters.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs.

GISELLA GRUBER: Just waiting for the interpreters. Yes, that's a little better. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. One thing that I think is of interest, and I will put it in a new section at the top so it's sticky on the page, the email listing and associated archives for the GNSO Council are undergoing a significant

change. In fact, total change. The results of which, however, is that they will be open to observers.

Now, this is the first time this has happened, as you know. GNSO meetings have their own space, and Adobe rooms, etc. However, they are publicly streamed, that will continue, but from now on, people will in fact be able to enlist to the new GNSO Council and associated GNSO archivable mailing list as observer.

I think from a transparency point of view, that is an extraordinarily good thing. But from an interaction with our point of view, it's an excellent thing. And I just wanted to note that. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Cheryl. All I can say to that is, hallelujah! I sat through a good number of discussions when I was GNSO liaison on, could people, such as even incoming counselors, get access to the list if they promised not to say anything? And their mailing list always had the ability of stopping people from talking also, and the answer was, anyone who wants to find out what is going on, they can go to our archives and read it one by one.

And no, there is absolutely no reason that anyone would want to have the email pushed to them if they are actually not on Council. So, I don't know which part of the GNSO or leadership has changed, but it's for the better. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

It has been easier to get into the CIA, you're right, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Or the CIA's mailing lists. Yrjö.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: Thank you. Thank you, Alan. Just to note that there will be an ALAC GAC meeting in Copenhagen, thanks to the staff for finding that time and agreeing with [inaudible] on that. I have asked [inaudible] for suggestions for agenda items.

I think that we already have one that is preliminary agreed in Hyderabad. That is to say, the Council of Europe's study on community gTLDs. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. And I did someone else's hand up, but it disappeared now. It was Glenn. Did you want to say something Glenn?

No? He typed it. All right. Next on our agenda is, if there are no more comments and reports, next on our agenda is Rinalia Abdul Rahim. Let's see if we can get your microphone working.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Hello. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: We can.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:

Great. Hello ALAC, it's nice to talk to you again. I have a little bit of a cold, so if you cannot hear me clearly, please type something on the chat. I just have three updates for you today. The first one was already mentioned by Holly, where Steve Crocker submitted personal comments on the identified technology health indicators definition.

Now, his comments came in late because there was robust discussion in the Board about whether or not he should be submitting something in his personal capacity. There was an argument that as Chairman of the Board, whatever he may say may be construed as representing the Board or ICANN. And just want to make it clear, that it is his personal capacity, and I had argued strongly that he should submit his comments, given his standing of elder of the internet, someone who is very knowledgeable, and I'm very glad that he ended up doing that.

The second point that I wanted to raise is that the Board will be having one of its three annual workshops, or retreats, in early February in Santa Monica. And typically, whenever we have such a thing, the CEO and his management team will produce a report. And I've circulated one such report to you previously.

And what's going to be new about this new report is that you expect a session with the CEO and his management team, probably at an ICANN public meeting, where you can ask questions and pose it to him about whatever it is that is in the report itself. And what I like about the report is that it provides much transparency on work that's going on in the organization or ICANN staff.

And I think it's good for the community to see that, to have access and to be able to ask questions. In terms of the workshop that we are having in Los Angeles, we are addressing topics that are sort of typical on a Board plate, and I'll just highlight some of them.

Of course, Board committees will meet, and we have our own work agenda for that. We will be looking at GAC communique responses. We'll be looking at the status of work stream two on accountability, to see the status of work, and progress. We're going to have sessions on idea protections and thick WHOIS.

And we are going to have a discussion, a very interesting one, on domain name space instability. This is a topic that has been recurring, and it involves external parties, and we are to figure out how to move forward and coordinate. It's not an easy problem to solve because it's not entirely within ICANN's jurisdiction. And we will be having a session on high priority IRPs and legal cases overview, to see what we can do about that.

And also, we will be looking at the strategic outlook, which is work that we started to do with Göran and his team. And I think that you'll have more information about that moving forward into the future, once we have more content. And there will also be a Board meeting, and I think, among the agenda items will be the appointment of Board liaisons to the special reviews, the SSR and the RDS reviews.

So, that's all I have for you is this update for now. I will probably have more after the workshop itself.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Rinalia. Whoever's microphone is on, I think it was Holly, given us running commentary, if you could perhaps not do that. I have a couple of comments, and then I see Holly's hand is up. Rinalia, first of all, thank you very much for pushing heavily for Steve to release his personal comments.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that someone people would think that our community is not mature enough to differentiate between someone's comments that are made in their personal capacity, and speaking on behalf of the Board, or behalf of anyone, no matter who they are. I would not want to be stifled for making personal comments because I'm chair of the ALAC, and I don't believe he should either.

So, thank you very much for pushing that point. The second one is, I seem to recall at one previous workshop, and I can't even remember which one it was now, the Board made an announcement saying that from now on, we're going to be very open and transparent, and transcripts or audio recordings of Board meetings will be available.

And as an example, there was one, I think a two hour briefing, which was audio cast. I don't recall anything happening since then. Has that quietly died and the Board has gone back into hiding? Or are there indeed plans that we will start seeing more about what the Board is doing?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:

The work is continuing, and I'm going to point to the CEO report that's coming up. You will actually have an insight on the core of what the Board discussed, and what was problematic about it, within the report

itself. So, that's one good thing. Also, in terms of the Board workshop, sessions are being marked as open or closed, and there will be transcripts and recording, and then there will be sort of like a review in terms of what's possible for release and what's not.

So, I am also looking forward to what's going to be done about it, and once I know more, I'll come back to you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Am I mistaken in that the wording was such that the intent was that Board meetings would actually be made available?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Actually, I don't think we've resolved that discussion yet. I don't think we've resolved that discussion yet. It's ongoing.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. I guess we need to go back and see what the words were. Next we have Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah. My question is in the chat. I would like a report from the workshop. The couple of topics that Rinalia would be really interesting, and I certainly appreciate to know what happened in the workshop. If we can get a report back, that would be really useful. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Any further comments or questions for Rinalia?

Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, then we're turning you free. You're welcome, of course, to stay with us for the rest of the meeting, but if not, if you have other things to do, then we'll understand.

Next item on the agenda, ALAC appointee selection committee update. A couple of issues. First of all, I will simply point out that there was a discussion surrounding the SSR review team appointments, on whether the appointment, the selection committee can be overruled or second guessed.

And my understanding is, yes, the ALAC can always make decisions, if the ALAC chooses to. So the ALAC could simply refuse to ratify, and then something would have to be done to reopen the discussion, or the positions would not be filled.

The ALAC certainly has the right to remand something back to the selection committee, should the ALAC choose to. And I suppose the ALAC could also override completely, and simply make its own choices. The only precedent I have is the previous review committee, is the previous selection committee that was run under Olivier's time, and that one, as far as I remember, every time it made selections, they were ratified.

And I don't believe that committee ever gave options as to, you know, what it did. Certainly it could, and this current selection committee, in one case, the dot [Moby?], in fact, did get options. So, I'm certainly willing, if anyone would like to have it put on the agenda at

Copenhagen, then they should speak soon, because the agenda is getting firmed up.

But at this point, my understanding is we're working under the same status quo that we have for quite some time, unless the ALAC makes a decision that we should move in some other direction. So, just to note that. In terms of the ongoing selections, we have two selections that are currently open.

One is for the auction proceeds, CCWG, and to remind you, this is the group, not that we will be given away money, but will be setting the rules under which the money will eventually be given away, and probably describing some organization that will do it.

We have had exceedingly poor responses to the call, such that we were not in a position to even fill our minimum requirements, and according to the charter, we may have as few as two members, or as many as five. We could not have fulfilled that, so I extended the call, and I'm hoping we see some more names before the extension is out.

I don't quite know if I can understand what's going on, and I guess I welcome thoughts. In previous things like CCWGs or review teams, we've had abundant people putting their names in. Maybe this one just isn't interesting, but if it's not actually giving away money, just setting up rules, it has no real interest, and people just aren't interested in participating.

But I was rather surprised that there was such poor turnout. So, if anyone has any insights, I'd appreciate that. The response, so far, for the dot NGO, sorry the dot NGO advisory council is not great, but at this

point, we will be able to do something if we, when the period ends, I believe. Anyone have any further thoughts on any one of those issues on the appointee selection committee?

Just to give you a heads up, I will be taking the co-chair of the auction CCWG to the selection committee to make a recommendation, and that should be happening moderately quickly. Anyone else want to say anything on this?

I see nothing, hear nothing, and we'll go on to the next item. The At-Large review. Holly, Cheryl.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Here I go. Okay. We were up to with the review, the revised review document is due to be released on the 31st of January. In terms of scheduling and what we have to do, we have asked for a webinar with ICANN, somewhere between the release of that document and Copenhagen. That request is pending.

In the meantime, we have scheduled two meetings for Copenhagen. The first is for meeting with ICANN, with the very, very clear instruction that this is to be interactive. That it is to start with them, explaining what changes they have made to the document, or not, and why.

It is to be followed with a discussion with the At-Large community. It will be an open meeting, but I think we've got to ensure that basically, the At-Large community is the main participants, otherwise the time will go. We've got at best, an hour and a quarter, that's on the Sunday. The other meeting, the following Tuesday is for the working party because

we have to draft a response to the review document that has been put out for public comment.

We need to start that fairly soon, and I will be calling a meeting for the working party fairly soon, so that we can all think about what it is they've said, and start responding. And we will probably be having, we will most certainly be having some meetings to draft something. By the time we get to Copenhagen, it's pretty clear in our minds what we had wanted to say.

There is a possible third meeting, a workshop that is being suggested by ICANN as an open, and probably far more participatory than simply At-Large community. Not sure whether that's going to take place or not, but if it does, it's more time, we would be there. In terms of the actual documents, I am assuming that those people involved in the At-Large review, have noticed that on the website, on our website, not only have you got the document itself, but they have included an addendum to further explain what they mean about the At-Large structures, the individual members, how that is supposed to work.

I am not convinced it has answered all of my questions, but that said, beginning of their answers, so in terms of the working party, we need to start with those two documents as well as the comments that we've said, and as of the 31st of January, we will be needing to look at the document itself.

So, for the working party, we would be scheduling meetings up until Copenhagen, to start thinking through what we're going to say in terms of a draft response, which can be finalized. Basically once we listened

to [items?] in Copenhagen, and once we've met for the working party.
Are there any questions?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I certainly have a couple of... I'm not sure their questions or comments. In terms of the webinar, I am assuming that that would be scheduled as soon as possible, after the release. And I have suggested to Lars, that if we want attendance to be, good attendance at that meeting, we should be scheduling it sooner rather than later.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Yeah, I agree with you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Well, I haven't seen a Doodle yet, so that's why I have some concern. In terms of the At-Large working party plus anyone else who wants to be very active in the, in drafting our response, I would suggest that if the report is going to be released, you said the 31st. Lars had also said 31st or 1st, maybe it's being refined since then.

I would suggest that we want to schedule meetings once a week, and I would say early on the week of the 6th, and then weekly after that. That gives us four meetings to formulate something. And again, if we want to do that, we better send out a Doodle pretty soon to start scheduling these meetings.

It's up to you whether we do them the same time each week, or we rotate times, or whatever, but you know, given when some of us will be

leaving for Copenhagen, I think we need to start. And if we do one on the 6th or the 7th, we may or may not have had the webinar by then, but by then, the working party should have at least read the report, and start having some gut feelings that we want to circulate among ourselves.

But given how different, what they said they said about ALSs versus individual members, and what the draft report said, I think we want that webinar to expose any similar errors as early as possible. There is no point in us going off on a rate on something where they said, where they're going to say, oh, we didn't really mean that.

So, in any case, but yeah, I think we really want to start our work sooner rather than later, if we're going to have something. Going into Copenhagen, we really have to have a report that's almost ready to go. It may get adjusted based on what is said. But you all know what the schedule is like once we get into an ICANN meeting, and there is not going to be a lot of time for careful drafting at that point.

And the few days after an ICANN meeting are usually a dead loss.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Yeah. Look, Alan, totally agree with you, and I think there is an action item on ICANN, to do a Doodle for the first week of February. And probably earlier, not later, in the week so we can actually start thinking about, and start jotting down. And I think we'll have to send... I know there are members of ALAC who are not on the working party.

My gut feeling is the invitation has got to go to ALAC, and say, working party and if you are interested, please join the working party so that we can use that mailing list, or something like that. I don't want to keep having to send everything to ALAC.

I would like to have a working party that includes everybody who is interested. And maybe that's...

ALAN GREENBERG:

Then simply send a note to either the ALAC or the ALAC internal list, your call. Remember, the difference is, ALAC list has a lot of past members and other people who have been affiliated with At-Large over the years, whereas the ALAC internal list are just current incumbents.

Send it to which either one of those you prefer, and tell them to speak up, and we will add you as observers, or as full members of the working party. If, in terms of the mailing list, and you'll get the notices that way. So, how you do that is up to you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I see Heidi had her hand up and then Cheryl. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, Alan. So, just wanted to know about the action items that Cheryl has responded. We're going to make the webinar with [items] on the

week of the 6th, just because the week prior to that, which is next week, there will be a the LACRALO Assembly in Los Angeles. So, if that's okay Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: That's fine.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: The schedule for the webinar, I don't know if it's a briefing or a webinar, whatever you're calling it, should be scheduled independent from the working party meetings. If the first working party meeting is before the webinar, so be it. I don't want to make... We shouldn't make them reliant on the other, because that may mean we lose a week on the drafting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So Alan, if I may?

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, so, what is the action item for the working party called, Holly? Could you state that please?

HOLLY RAICHE: I think I'm repeating Alan, but that's all right. For the first notice, or I think, I will send out, this afternoon, and Alan, I'm going to use the ALAC internal to say, anybody who wants to participate in the discussion about the review, please raise your hand. You will be put on the mailing list.

And then, from there on end, we will only use the mailing list. The first...

ALAN GREENBERG: The working party mailing list.

HOLLY RAICHE: The working party, whatever. The second thing is, Alan, do you think we should have, and I'm really asking, should we have both a webinar and a working party meeting in one week?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes.

HOLLY RAICHE: Cheryl, do you agree?

ALAN GREENBERG: Holly, if I may. I think if we don't have them in the same week, then we're losing a full week of discussion among the working party, and I

think that is essential. I believe we should schedule a meeting for each of the four weeks in February. That is the week of the 6th, 19th, 20th, and 27th, schedule a meeting of the working party early in the week, Monday or Tuesday.

It's up to you whether you do one Doodle for all of the meetings, or you want to rotate the meetings. I'll leave that up to you. But I really think we should not lose time. Sorry to interrupt, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

No problem, Alan. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record. I think we just set out rotation times for the Doodle, and get all four of the meetings sorted. That's a fine thing. I think the webinar probably does need to wait until the beginning of the 6th, the week of the 6th, and I don't think that's a bad thing anyway.

The working party, as it is at the moment, as well as maybe expanded in response to the note to the internal list, you know, has the mandate the damned thing. They shouldn't have to be nurtured through on a webinar, which is basically show and tell. However, I think a general webinar, and to make sure that the Doodle for that webinar, at least an announcement for that webinar, is more widely advertised, is very important.

I would certainly use the wider ALAC list for that. And I would certainly suggest that we all utilize a system of collecting comments off a Wiki page, which should be open to, you know, anyone who can log in, but certainly not limited to the working party, and further that if we have a Google Doc, that the Google Doc was, it can be linked off that Wiki

page, should be another thing that people even beyond the working party can make comments on.

I think it is going to be a very short amount of time to drafting, but with that type of planning, we should be able to get something reasonably more than [inaudible] put together. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Cheryl. I guess, I would like to reserve judgment on exactly how we do this, until we see the document. If we have another document where those among us who are verbose created 150 to 200 comments on the report, it's going to be a different game than if we have something where we're just, you know, making some terse comments.

So, we're going to have to wait to see just how much they've changed the report, or how much they haven't changed it. You know, have they corrected all the errors in fact and faulty analysis, or have they stuck with those? So, I think we're going to have to play it by ear until we at least see what the report looks like. [CROSSTALK] ...we're going to have to make some quick decisions. Go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

If I may, Cheryl for the record. I would rather have the meetings planned, and cut them off if we don't need them, then have to [inaudible] especially before a travel time.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no. I was talking about the methodology of Google Docs and collecting comments and things like that, versus collecting comments. The meetings are going to be scheduled. If we finish early, we're going to cancel them. I was just talking about methodologies of collecting comments from people.

Any other comments on the work on the At-Large review?

Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, we will go on to the next item. The next item is the BMSPC. We don't have Tijani on the call. We don't have Julie on the call. Is there anyone who has anything they want to say regarding the selection process for the Board?

Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, that item is now done. FBSC membership and budget items. And I'm not quite sure why we have FBSC membership on the agenda. I hadn't actually noticed it on my review. Heidi, am I missing something?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry Alan, could you repeat that please?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, Olivier, I see your hand is up, and I suspect I know why, but I'll come back to you in a moment. The item 10 on our agenda says FBSC membership and fiscal year 18 budget requests. Why is there an issue of membership?

HEIDI ULLRICH: There is no issue of membership. It is only fiscal year additional budget requests.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Something left over from a previous agenda.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Indeed.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. That makes it easy to address it. But we will now go back to the previous one, and I suspect Olivier had his hand up with related to the selection process for the Board.

OLIVER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. Oliver Crépin-Leblond speaking. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: We can.

OLIVER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. So, just a quick piece of news. EURALO has had a vote that it conducted after the request from a number of European At-Large structures to petition for Sébastien Bachollet. With 55% of our ALSs having voted, and the vote being completed, the answers were 52% in favor of the petition, 42% against the petition, and 4.76% abstaining.

So thus, EURALO has petitioned for Sébastien Bachollet to be added to the final slate. And I believe that the process now is for the other RALOs to make their decision. They have until the end of the week for that.

I'm not quite sure what happened for this report, but it's probably the EURALO chair on the one side, by the announcement that I've given you, and a member of the BMSPC on the other side [inaudible] the process [inaudible]. That's all. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. For those who don't memorize our rules of procedure, the rules of procedure call for a person to be added to the slate if they are being supported, if there is a positive vote, it was to be a formal vote, of at least three ALSs voting to put the person onto the slate.

Olivier, is that hand still up or is that now an old hand?

It is an old hand. We now go back to the agenda where we were, onto the finance and budget subcommittee. The committee is meeting tomorrow in a few hours to review the current budget requests. We have a record number of them, and I don't have the number of them in my head, but Holly...

Someone's name starting with an H. Heidi probably does have the number. I know there are seven from the ALAC, and Heidi, do you have the numbers from the RALOs?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, Alan. The total is 25. So, the total for all of them is 25. So, you said how many? Seven?

ALAN GREENBERG: Seven from the ALAC, so we're 18 from the five RALOs.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, a significant increase from last year.

ALAN GREENBERG: Some things to note. And as I said, the FBSC has not looked at them, we will be tomorrow, and then I suspect sending a fair number of them back for minor tweaks or major rewrites, or whatever. A couple of comments. The outreach and engagement committee has put in a request, which the ALAC is forwarding, to have essentially an At-Large presence at the IGF.

That request, which I support in concept, because I believe that there is a lot of At-Large people at the IGF, most of them self-funded. And I believe At-Large should formally have some level of presence. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean a lot of people paid for by At-Large going on behalf of the ALAC, but that's something we need to discuss.

However, the current request does ask for five people. The current, plus there are two RALO requests, the RALOs that normally make requests for the IGF, and that's AFRALO and APRALO, and they are asking for a total of eight people.

The chances for us being funded for 13 people to the IGF, I think is what some people refer to as dreaming in technicolor, and we may well have to somehow rationalize these three requests to bring them down to something which we have a chance. I have a large worry that if we ask for too much, it's just going to get rejected, or staff will make the decisions on which parts to go forward with, and which parts to reject.

And I think that's a dangerous precedence to set. So, I think we're going to have a little bit of hard work in the FBSC looking at that. Other than that, the request range from absolutely trivial ones in terms of dollar value, to ones that, I think, total something about 60% of the overall total AC SO budget in a single budget.

And again, I think we're going to have some problems with some of those. But it should be interesting, and we should have something to give to the ALAC, a first view going back to the ALAC, I hope within a week or so. I think the cutoff is the 31st officially, is that correct Heidi?

Have we lost Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No.

ALAN GREENBERG: We lost you on Adobe Connect.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I know. So, no, the deadline is the 30th. Now, if you believe that you may need an extension of an extra day, you may wish to ask that the deadline be extended.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, we will discuss that at the meeting tomorrow. I would find it very hard to believe that we are going to be able to meet tomorrow, turn these things around, have them come back, and send them out. Among other things, it's not clear whether we want to have another FBSC meeting before they actually leave our door, or does the FBSC want to entrust it to you or me, or someone walking in from the street to do the final triage.

So we have some work to do tomorrow. I would almost guarantee we would need an extension, though. It's just too tight. The 31st is six days from today.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. If you could bring that up when Rob Hoggath is on the call tomorrow. And then you can discuss the process procedure to do that formally.

ALAN GREENBERG: Given that you, I, and about a half a dozen other people are on that call, in about nine hours, you're not going to be on that call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I am.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. So, at least two of us, and I suspect other people on this call, someone should remember to bring that up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Anyone else have anything you want to say about the finance and budget requests? Okay. Next item. I'm told we're going to be meeting in Copenhagen in a month or two. We have a little bit of planning. I turn it over to Gisella, to tell us what we need to decide today, and what else we need to work on.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you Alan. Gisella here. I'm just getting the slot [inaudible]... Most of you are used to seeing the lovely colored Excel spreadsheet that I usually work on, but unfortunately, I'm not yet in any situation to show it to everyone yet to see how the meetings are going to be arranged. As we've got [inaudible] to be confirmed, which will then allow me to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

But as it stands now, we have with regards to the meetings of the groups, we have the ccNSO, the Board, and the GAC confirmed. Meetings with the registry stakeholder group and the IPC are in

progress. The RALO meetings and the working groups will be based on the schedules and the RALOs will be done as close to their normal hours as possible. Again, challenging.

Social events, sorry, I've probably skipped within the agenda item, but I'm just running through what I have here. The social events that I've got at this stage are Monday evening, the gala evening, Tuesday ISOC and the [Gems?], music, the music evening that we've had so far thanks to Olivier's organizing, which I'll let him touch on later.

And third, a closing cocktail. Now, we did send out a survey for the topics as well as the group's to meet with, but unfortunately, I don't have access to that. Ariel has access to that, and I'm not able to get hold of her at this minute. So, what I suggest to do, and I do apologize for the inconvenience, is that we'll compile the information received through the survey, I'm not even sure how many people responded.

If you haven't responded to the survey, the deadline is tomorrow. It would be very much appreciated if you could give your feedback via the survey on who we wish to meet with, and the topics we wished to raise as well. And towards the middle of the week, we'll have another call to review the schedule with Leon and Alan. And then I'll be able to send something out on email.

And also, during this whole week, the meeting forms from all of the various groups are being submitted. So as they come in, they populate into an internal document, which I can see, and we can already start walking on avoiding any major clashes with any of the other meetings.

So, unfortunately, I'm not able to give you much more information than this today.

One of the issues that we do need to address, not the issues, is the outreach, which Olivier and Dev have as item D under the ICANN 58 agenda item.

That's all from me. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Sorry, I was on mute. Can you hear me now? I can not only hear me, I can hear many of me.

All right. I'll reiterate that there are a number of meetings scheduled, and one of the things we really do need, something that we're not really good at, is coming up with topics for discussion. And they have to be topics that we, you know, actually have something to say, and or something to ask, depending on who it is, and that includes with the Board.

Usually, we sort of wing it at the end. At the last meeting with the Board, we ended up coming up with some topics, and then Rinalia came up with some really good ones at the very end, and they were sort of stuff onto the agenda a few hours before the meeting. So, I look forward to everyone, and that includes Rinalia.

Yes, Rinalia, you did hijack it, but it was to a good end, but perhaps we can do our high jacking a little bit earlier this time, and try to come together and come up with some interesting ideas. If anyone would like to, perhaps we can come up with a quick Skype call, or something like

that, if anyone wants to participate to try to brainstorm on what issues we want to discuss.

Holly, your hand is up.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Yeah, for a couple of things. First, I did four workshops in Hyderabad. They went over really well. They were seen as part of the outreach for Hyderabad. And I'm just wondering if you want to schedule those or anything like that again, because I'm happy to do it or happy to have somebody else do it.

The other in terms of topics, my suggestion is go back and read the Steve Crocker statement about the health indicators, because I think there are some issues there, and without sort of saying, hey Steve, guess what? We really like what you say, and by the way, there are some issues that maybe we could raise. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, I don't think we want to give fodder to people who say Steve shouldn't say anything, so we may want to [CROSSTALK]... You may want to word that carefully.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Yes, yes, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much for that. And yes, I think the whole gTLD issues is one we may want to come up and discuss, because I think, at this point, we may well be on a collision course in ways that we're going to have problems. So, that may be an issue, we may want to think about how do we raise the issue, and exactly when.

In terms of your outreach sessions, those were done, I believe, in conjunction with the people who are running the outreach sessions in Hyderabad, and so I think, I don't know who is doing that for Copenhagen, but I see Olivier is probably a good contact, and the outreach and engagement working group or subcommittee is another place you may want to be talking.

But I suspect Olivier is the focal point for all of those issues. I will point out, you are also doing a workshop for the ALAC and regional leaders on the RDS, reminding you that that's something that we don't want to forget. Olivier, do you have any comments on outreach and engagement that you want to comment on? Or, is Dev on the call? Do either of you want to say anything?

OLIVER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND::

It's Oliver Crépin-Leblond speaking. I'm on the call. I can certainly say a few words.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Go right ahead.

OLIVER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. Olivier speaking. So, as you will have noted, Dev has got this thing called outreach with [inaudible], actually [inaudible] the option of having outreach. But outreach and engagement, there is some work that is currently being discussed to go and visit the university at some point, which works with the global stakeholder engagement.

They have yet to identify the right university, the right course, and so on. And they will come back to us as soon as they have more information on that. When it comes down to capacity building, we have had the discussion with Tijani and his group as to when would it be the best time to have capacity building sessions, covering all of day one, or whether to spread them throughout the week.

And the response upon Tijani and recommendation from him, was to actually have them mostly at lunchtime. So, we have a request with Gisella to be able to conduct lunchtime session capacity building sessions throughout the week.

When it comes down to... Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, we can hear you. Various other people are talking, don't let it bother you.

OLIVER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks. It is [inaudible] in the morning, it's not daytime anyway here soon, so I might be hearing voices, a bit concerned. When it comes down to outreach and engagement, there is also a session in the

afternoon. It is [jointly held?] by EURALO and the NCUC, and this is a session that will be the sort of joint outreach to people that will come to the ICANN meeting.

That's on the afternoon of day one, and we are currently reviewing the different presentation which will have to take place during that session. I believe that, at present, it's a three hour session that we've looked for. And that's just the outreach, engagement, and capacity building. We've also got an European stakeholder's event.

I'm not quite sure when that is supposed to take place. But we're currently working on it with global stakeholder engagement, and that would not only include the At-Large community, but also some of the other parts of ICANN that are European. And that's really everything for the time being.

There is going to be a jam session, and that will be for day four, Tuesday the 14th of March, in the evening. [Inaudible]. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Olivier. According to that block schedule, there is outreach in each of those sessions, but that also means that we're also all invited to the Board committees, which are going on at the same time. [CROSSTALK]

Pardon me?

OLIVER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

You're like everyone else, Alan, just photocopy yourself.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I was being rather, what's the right word? I don't know. We're not invited to Board committees. The fact that something shows up on the agenda, doesn't mean you're invited. So the fact that there is outreach, doesn't really mean we're doing outreach either.

OLIVER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, you were supposed to do the outreach, the photocopy copy has to go to the meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, whatever. Anyone else have any comments on outreach and engagement? Social events? Gisella, are we having social events?

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, sorry, Gisella here. Social events are just the general ones, which on Monday, the gala, and Thursday the closing cocktail. Nothing else has yet been confirmed.

ALAN GREENBERG: How about ALAC social events? Are there any? I know we were talking about something on Thursday evening, but I don't know what phase we are in.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes Alan, Gisella here. Yes, that was just, we were talking about, if the cocktail ends at [inaudible] going to decide whether we wish to then proceed and go on to an ALAC dinner, which is quite possible.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. One of the questions was, is there really going to be any food at the cocktail? And sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't.

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, if I may, Gisella here. And for everyone else on the call. We're currently here in Los Angeles at the policy workshop for the week, and we have a meeting tomorrow morning, Los Angeles time, with the meetings team. We're going to be running through logistics for ICANN 58, 59, and 60.

So for the 2017 locations, to run through quite a few of the logistical, and one of the questions will be about the cocktail, whether there is enough food. So, hopefully we'll have quite a bit of information after tomorrow, and we can then decide offline whether we wish to do a dinner on the Thursday evening or not.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Do we know what hotel we're in yet?

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, Gisella here. No, that is one of the questions for tomorrow, so [inaudible], as it stands, any information on Copenhagen. So, I will be

bombarding the meetings team with all of these questions tomorrow.
Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Then I will stop asking you annoying questions. Anyone else have any comments, questions related to ICANN 58 in Copenhagen?

Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, any other business? Does anyone have anything to add, any other business? If not, we're going to end a record 45 minutes early for an ALAC meeting. I cannot remember that ever happen in my, in my recent lifetime, in any case.

I will not chalk it up to my skill as the chair, but...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Have we checked? We must have missed something important.

ALAN GREENBERG:

...these things work out. In that case, I thank you all for your attendance, I thank you all for your attention at what might be an early, late, or whatever hour of your day. And I will see you all online. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]