
YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Technology Task Force call taking place on Wednesday, 18 January 2017, at 14:00 UTC.

On the call today on our English channel, we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Gordon Chillcot, Satish Babu, Glenn McKnight, Judith Hellerstein, Daniel Nanghaka, Sarah Kiden, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, and Alfredo Calderon. On the Spanish channel, we have Renata Aquino Ribeiro. We have received apologies from Stuart Clark.

From staff, we have Alex Hutson, Mark Segall, Corinna Ace, Ariel Liang, Evin Erdoğan, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar. Our Spanish interpreters today are Veronica and Claudia. I see that Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong has just joined us as well.

Finally, if I could please remind all participants to state your names before speaking not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpretations purposes as well.

Over to you, Dev. Thanks so much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Yeşim. Welcome, everyone, to our Technology Task Force call. We have met earlier this month due to an ICANN staff retreat next week. So that's why we were having it on a Wednesday instead of our typical Monday next week. So let's get right to it.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

We have several various action items to try to quickly review. Just to review some of these action items, Satish, Daniel, and myself to create an entry about the security issues related to Adobe Connect and Skype, best practices to tackle those security issues. I haven't done explicitly on the Adobe Connect and Skype, but I did do a security update regarding the recent Yahoo breach, which I posted earlier this month on the TTF list. I have done some more in-depth research on the Skype spam. So I think Satish and I and Daniel, perhaps we can just work to create a Google Doc of this issue so we can [inaudible].

Okay, Ariel Liang to check with IT about the exit poll function because of its different behaviors in different browsers that we accidentally tested on our last call in December. Ariel, anything to report on that?

ARIEL LIANG: [inaudible]

[YESIM NAZLAR]: Ariel, we cannot hear you.

ARIEL LIANG: Can you hear me better now?

[YESIM NAZLAR]: Yes, [much better]. Thanks so much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you. I'll report on this next meeting.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh, okay. Very well. Myself to add the timing out issue to the technology issues page. I have to confess I have not done this. I think it was because I believe it was reporting from Olivier on the inability to connect – especially during the IGF meeting – to connect to the Adobe Connect. I have not really had a chance to do this, and my apologies on that. But it will be done. Perhaps we can do this when we invite someone from ICANN, probably Josh, to talk about Adobe Connect issues.

All right, Judith and Glenn to share with other RALOs during a secretariat call about the RALO leadership mailing addresses that can be made available. As we discussed on the last call, we've found out that e-mail addresses such as "chair@whateverRALO.org" is available. So, Glenn, Judith, any quick update on this? Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. No, actually what is available, not "chair@theRALO.org" but what's available is that you can create an e-mail address for the chairs. So this one could be, we could have a "TTF.Leadership@ICANN.org," which would go to all the chairs of the TTF. Also, since there's a LISTSERV, you can go back and look the mail management. So if we have a new chair

coming on, they can go back and read different chair's discussions as long as the address TTF-Leadership is used.

This could be for every working group too. So instead of always trying to cc [just to find] the addresses of one chair and then having him forward to the other chairs, you can have it just go directly to all the assigned leadership team of that working group or task force, same with a RALO. We use NARALO-Leadership to send the e-mails so that way we can have them. So that's what the issue is.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks. Glenn, do you have a quick response to this as well?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I do.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Let me answer the first question which is, didn't we report it to the secretariat? I don't believe we have. Judith, maybe you can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't believe it was a topic we brought up at that meeting, but it's valid. We'll make a mental note to mention it at the next call.

I think what Judith is talking about, she worked with staff as a workaround on the solution because what happened is we're revamping our mail card and literature and on the old NARALO

brochure it had “info@NARALO.org.” So we naturally thought we could get “chair@NARALO.org” or “secretariat@NARALO.org,” and that was verboten. So God knows where six or eight years of “info@NARALO.org” went. So that was kind of a waste.

But we came up with this solution, and it has two benefits. One is it doesn't offend anybody it seems, and second of all it allows us to collate to the e-mail to all of us rather than just one. So it's a good workaround.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Okay, thank you. Can I just suggest then that this be documented on a wiki page or on an e-mail post to the TTF list? All right? I mean, I don't want to spend too much time on this agenda.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Dev, this is just a quick thing. What the problem was and was a security issue is that the domain is going to use an ICANN by people not in ICANN. So there was no way of tracking it and it had [inaudible] a VPN. But also, there was an issue. It was [inaudible] internal security issues and other issues. And then there's an idea of how do we make public things [and] keep on the transparency issue and make public different e-mails. So the workaround that I created solves every single problem they have. And that way then it significantly adds to the knowledge management issue is that new chairs can review when they come on all the information. So it solves problems and it fixes a lot of issues.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Okay, so again, I would still suggest I guess we can check off this box and just, as I say, report this on to the mailing list so it's documented and can be forwarded to other persons.

Glenn to follow up with Mattermost. Glenn, I know that this wasn't possible. You did follow up, but you couldn't get it arranged. I do have an update on the Mattermost testing though, so we can tackle that when we get to it in the agenda items.

Ariel to investigate what tool GNSO Council uses for online voting. Ariel, do you have a response on that?

ARIEL LIANG: Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can.

ARIEL LIANG: I will get the information on this after the policy retreat next week because we will meet with the GNSO staff.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right. I'm just going to skip to something that I know that we have updates on. Ariel to explore the ways to remove the [inaudible] of older ICANN meetings. Any progress to report on that?

ARIEL LIANG: No. No progress.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right. Okay, and I see there are other issues regarding the LACRALO mailing list, eXo platform and so forth, so I think we could tackle that in our agenda. So we could probably just move ahead from the action items on this.

So there are three things and let's move ahead to the next item, which is the Technology Issues Page. There are three things. We have updates on at least three things. One is the LACRALO mailing list issues. What has happened is that progress has been made on the LACRALO mailing list translation issues. Some longstanding bugs have been squashed, and a new version is now available for testing by the TTF. Perhaps I could probably turn over to Corinna or Mark to just say a few words on this.

CORINNA ACE: Sure. Thanks, Dev. That sets it up well just to give you the latest as to where we're at. We had a discussion with Dev in December, and we pushed some code fixes and updates to the New-transbot-en and -es lists for testing and use and review by a wider audience. After we gather some feedback about that on the testing on the transbot lists whether that's today or in the coming weeks – and I can open the floor after this – we'll note any new bugs to address or showstoppers. But we really just want to get feedback and introduce these changes that have addressed the most critical bugs that have been recorded.

Then as another update, over the last month since pushing those first changes into the test list, the development team has started work on other bugs and enhancements that were also captured in the past but weren't part of the critical initial first [inaudible]. That work includes providing users a means of tagging specific content that you might not want translated in an e-mail but the rest of which would be automatically translated. Another one is addressing a bug that caused subject lines to be distorted or turned into gibberish. And then ensuring the ability to retain attachments between translated e-mail.

This is all still under internal development and testing, but we're hoping to discuss with Dev timing of when we're ready to deploy these recent changes as well to the transbot test list for wider testing by the task force. And then eventually when we're ready, we'll have a special purpose call to announce all changes, review improvements overall, and then discuss our launch plan before pushing all of these fixes and enhancements into production.

If I've missed anything, Mark, please let me know. Otherwise, if anyone has comments about using the transbot test e-mail list, bugs or improvements either way, we can talk about that now. I know it's limited time today, so you can also feel free to just send me an e-mail or let Dev know and I can communicate with Mark as well and we can capture any feedback another way. I don't want to take up too much time on the call today. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Corinna. I must say, just great progress on some of those additional fixes. So the idea behind, just to quickly clarify, I had suggested as a feature enhancement that we include [and we add in a person's] e-mail a method for specifying information that shouldn't be translated – so like persons' names or perhaps acronyms, those types of things – so that the transbot would just essentially treat it as something not to translate and just pass it on to the translated e-mail as-is.

I have to say also great progress on getting attachments working from one list to the next. I thought initially we had been told way back in the beginning that this was not possible, and I'm really glad to see that this progress has been made.

To add to Glenn's question, "Who from LACRALO is providing user feedback?" so far it's me and I haven't really done any extensive testing. So this is now a call out for those persons who are interested in testing the translation tool. Please let myself or Corinna know, or staff know for that matter and they could just forward it, to help test the translation tool. So that means that you would be subscribed to both lists and you would see what happens when you send an e-mail, what happens. And then once you have identified bugs, you could update the wiki page accordingly.

Okay, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi. I had to get off the phone. My wife needed it. So I'm using just the audio on the computer. Dev, I want to ask you bluntly, [why is there no] LACRALO people on getting feedback? This is a LACRALO issue. Do they

not take this seriously, or are they just not discussing this? I just want a straight answer on it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Glenn. I would say that LACRALO has also been preoccupied with other activities. I will perhaps as an action item also for [inaudible] LACRALO main list if there are persons willing to help test this tool. So you could probably capture that as an action item. But there are a few persons already on the LACRALO new tool. We just haven't really made a formal announcement to say, "Hey, we made these changes. We've implemented it on the new mailing list, so now we can start testing again." [inaudible]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Can I suggest as an action item that this report goes back to your monthly meeting at LACRALO because they need to be part of the process. I understand they're busy. So is everyone. [inaudible] integral to their operation efficiency. So I think it should not be buried in [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, point taken. All right. Thanks for that, and thanks again, Corinna and Mark, for the update.

The next thing we want to talk about which we have an update on is the ability to export Adobe Connect recordings from a Flash-only recording to formats like MP4 and to be made accessible on video sharing sites

like YouTube. I realize, and I believe [Terri] also did some work on this. Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, Dev. There's really not that much on this other than just exporting the video into this MP4 format and then upload to the YouTube channel. The only limitation is we need to run the whole meeting on a separate screen without minimizing it so that the video can be transformed into the MP4 format in a proper manner. It will take some space [inaudible] laptop, but that's doable. Then once we upload it, we can just keep it in the cloud.

So, yeah, it's a pretty easy process, and I would highly recommend that we convert some of our teleconferences and webinars into YouTube format and MP4 format so that we can properly share that on YouTube. That's much easier than expecting people to click [inaudible] agenda, find the link and view the video. That's [inaudible]. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks, Ariel. I believe the first time when we first tried this out, it didn't work and so forth. So you think what happened then was just a fluke and it was more like in downloading the file it got corrupted in some way? Because the second time you did it, everything worked out okay, correct?

ARIEL LIANG:

The issue didn't happen when we converted the video. The issue happened when we uploaded to YouTube and somehow the [inaudible]

without audio for the second repeated version. So there's a bug in YouTube. Maybe they fixed it so that this time we didn't run into the same problem.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I see. Okay. All right, thanks for this. Any thoughts or comments on this? Seeing no questions, I guess I have one thing that comes to mind. And perhaps maybe, Ariel, this probably needs to be discussed with Mark as well. You mentioned that the downside of this is that you have to basically run the recording in real time in order to convert it to the MP4 format and then spend some time to upload it to YouTube. So essentially you have to dedicate your computer to do that. You can't interrupt it, you can't pause it as I understand.

So I guess my question is, perhaps ICANN should invest in resources to make this less of a – how should I put it? Dedicate some resources to make this happen more efficiently. By that, and I'm just throwing it out as a suggestion, just to have a dedicated machine that you could remote control and do this type of conversion and uploading. So that would be my suggestion because what will be happening is that you as staff will be devoting a machine to this and then you can't do your other work effectively. This is just my comment.

ARIEL LIANG: That would be ideal if we can have two laptops from ICANN. That's great. [inaudible]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, well, yes. And what could happen is that you could remote control another computer and then from there run the download of the conversion to MP4. You could probably look at ways of automating “if file exists on computer, then upload.” You could probably script those things. Mark?

MARK SEGALL: Hi. I’m taking note of all this. All I wanted to really state just so you know I’m listening here. I will definitely take this back to the MTS, our Meetings Technical Services team, and not only this request for additional system but also the continued – it sounds like it’s something with more regularity this issue of uploading to YouTube. So I’ll also raise that as well.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Mark. I think if it is [inaudible] you could just simply upload. [inaudible] it’s really just as staff just simply provides the links to the recordings and they go convert and just leave it instead of them taking the time to do this stuff. That’s my thinking.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello, it’s Seun.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh, I’m sorry, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, thank you. Just one thing before, I'm audio only, so I'm not seeing the agenda. Just one thing before we move from Adobe Connect, there was something [inaudible] the chat only pod. Is it possible now, or is there even any hope at all about that? The option to be able to just have the chat only, especially for those who have bandwidth challenges. Right now, [inaudible] URL for people to follow what is being discussed is useful because it's independent of the Adobe Connect. But having the option to the chat window, the chat pod alone, may also be something that will be very useful as well. So is there any progress on that, or should we just [inaudible] cannot happen for now? Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Seun. I have to confess that approach was probably not captured on our technology issues page. Can I suggest that we just work to really tackle all of these Adobe Connect ideas for improving Adobe Connect or coming up with workarounds for Adobe Connect. We identify it on the page, so perhaps to work with Seun to capture that. I'm thinking it is, but I don't think any direct progress has been made.

You're talking about a little bit about the captioning. This cannot wait until we get to the captioning update, or is it something you have a direct answer? A direct, short answer?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, Seun, I think that all the chat, all these pods, are independent – are not dependent, independent, so they're stuck on Adobe. I know on the app you can see the chat pod separate, but you're loading the app. So I don't think the pods are all separate. The only reason why you had

the chat pod separate is that it was taking the feed from the [screen text]. It was not connected to the Adobe. It was feeding directly from an independent source. So unless we can get the chat feeding from an independent source, you're not going to be able to get that. But maybe Josh or someone else can confirm that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, so let's just really document these Adobe Connect issues a bit more clearly so that when Josh comes on a call we could just walk through them or he could look at it beforehand and come with some answers or suggestions for approaches. Okay? So, Seun, work with staff to just document, capture that issue and that idea you have. I think it's an interesting idea.

SEUN OJEDEJI: That's fine. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Seun. The next update on the Technology Issues Page was the exit polling feature. I guess, Ariel, you say that you've got to find out from the policy retreat. You'll get an update on this issue, correct?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, very well. Okay, I think we can just leave it at that. Okay, are there any other technology issues people want to raise or want to note? I mean, the wiki page is there and it's really up to you as a community to just identify these issues so that we can identify it and develop a workaround or solution for it.

I see Abdeldjalil Bachar [Bong] has identified an issue regarding the iPhone and so forth. So I just want to suggest – well, and I see Ariel has already responded. Let's include his issue on the Adobe Connect issues so when we raise it with IT. Okay? All right, seeing no hands raised or anything of that sort, let's get an update on the next agenda item, which is the update on the captioning pilot and the FY18 proposal. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, I have updated. The captioning proposal is now on the special request 18 page. Basically, what we asked for is it to be 1) put into the core budget and 2) we asked for an extension. So six months' time period with French, Spanish, and English. Currently in the pilot testing we're doing now in a second stage, we have gotten funding for one call in Spanish, one call in French. We haven't had the call in Spanish yet, but in the French call in AFRALO apparently it worked really well and possibly I see from the results it was very helpful. Seun probably could actually, or Daniel, could actually talk about that.

We also tested it on the CCWG diversity call and it did very well on there. We did have some technical issues on the EURALO call, which also a good lesson to learn is that when putting the survey it's so easy for staff to accidentally check a wrong button and then that doesn't

allow for multiple choice questions. So I guess make sure that because it's so easy that maybe staff slow down in doing it to make sure it gets down correctly because then it's harder if we're collecting from all the sessions to collate the data when the options are changed. That's just my technical point that we have here.

We did add an extra support this year in our pilot enhancing it in the sense that the survey is not only taken for people who are on Adobe but staff can also send a web link to a Google survey so the people who are on the phone or the people who have to leave early or the people who don't have any bandwidth or the people who have phone problems can take the survey at a later date after the call or on the Web because that's what we're having now.

The new request for captioning, if you look on the FY18 budget request list, also shows some of the metrics we gathered. In the new request we are looking not only for the pilot to continue for six months but also for it to be expanded because we had so many requests for so many sessions that we just couldn't accommodate any of them. So we want to have five sessions a month, whereas in the past we only had three, and this is six months. Maybe Ariel can put the link or someone can put the link in to the special budget request page so that others can review the proposal.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Okay, thank you. I think that's very great progress. In fact, I was able to – I believe it was the EURALO call yesterday – I was able to just simply click on to the stream text and just have that open it on a

separate window so I could see the information. I have to say the captioning is a great facility, so I think it's great that the pilot has [shown] some good results.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Dev, some of the metrics were they said that over 90% of the people in most of the calls that happened in January found that it was either very helpful or helpful in understanding the call and in getting more involved, which is one of the purposes of the call. But if we could have one or two minutes from Daniel or Seun talking about the French translations or something like that and how on the AFRALO that might be helpful.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay, very well. Any input from Seun or Daniel regarding what happened on the AFRALO calls?

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yeah, can you hear me? Hello.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Yes, I can hear you, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Oh, good. Thank you. Personally, as usual, I was audio only. [inaudible] I think some of the feedback I was [inaudible] the audio was that it was good and very useful. Of course, I couldn't [inaudible] because I was of course audio only. So generally, I think it was very helpful and I think

something that should continue even once this pilot is over. I [will look at the recording]. That's all for me. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Seun, did you not – did staff not send out the Web link for the survey to the people who were on Adigo?

SEUN OJEDEJI: [inaudible]

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And if not, we can get staff to send it out. Yeşim, can you or Ariel, could you make that as an action item that the Web link should go out to all people who are on Adigo so they can take the survey as well? Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, that would be fine to send this. I don't know whether there is an action item for [inaudible] by the way, but I think it would be fine to send the survey URL to [inaudible]. Maybe we can send the recording and see what [inaudible] and they will respond to the survey, but overall it looks fine. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, great. All right, thanks, Seun. And thanks, Judith, for the update. Seeing no questions, let's move ahead now to the next agenda item, which was the update on the meeting app survey. Sorry. No, there was something else. It was a proposal that was submitted on a policy tracking proposal from Glenn McKnight. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi, everybody. Yes, it was actually a proposal that Olivier, myself, and Dev submitted. I'm sorry, I don't have Adigo/Adobe. My computer crashed, so I'm going blind right now. Basically, if you look through the proposal, what we did is we went back to the ATLAS II recommendations, and there are so many recommendations that talked about tracking.

Particularly we're interested from NARALO in the policy statements. This becomes one of the core deliverables in all our RALO deliverables based on our MoU. We spend so much time on recruiting new ALSes and in asking them to get involved, but we've had an issue in terms of how many policy statements, what is the quality of the statements, how are they applicable to the whole [inaudible].

So what we did there is we put a proposal together a) based on a reality that we have an obligation and b) is all these numerous ATLAS II recommendations saying we need to track this stuff. So that was the nature of the beast.

We do not have a budget number. We work with staff like Mark and [Corinna] who internally – we’re not looking at an external person doing this – but to work with staff and say how can we come up with a specific way to track this. So that’s in a nutshell. So I’ll open it back to anyone who has any questions.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Glenn. I believe the document is on sync for people to scroll through the document. Ariel and then Judith. So Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Dev.

SEUN OJEDEJI: And Seun. I’d like to [stay in the] queue.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, Seun as well. Okay, Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Dev. Maybe my question is a little out of scope for this meeting, but my question is if an individual from NARALO drafted a statement, can you say this is a statement from NARALO? Because I don’t know NARALO produces policy advice. Do you work together on that, review the statement together and provide comments specifically on that statement? Or does NARALO draft it [inaudible] where it’s just an individual activity? Because for AFRALO, they do some collaborative

work with AfrICANN, and then they produce [inaudible] statement and that's the AFRALO statement. But maybe my question is out of scope here. That's just a thing to think about when you start tracking NARALO output or RALO output.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Ariel. Interesting. Glenn, do you have a quick response to that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. Dev, you are welcome. You are coauthor of this as well. Ariel, any feedback you can give in terms of making this [tool] viable, it doesn't have to drill down to the individual. Basically, I guess what we're trying to say is that if we're on the hook to provide proof of what we're doing – and this isn't one of our core responsibilities – then sure, whatever help we can have to document it and prove that we have value with the new evolution with ICANN, I think it's going to become more and more of an obligation.

We took this – I talked to Alan about this, and he said the ALS expectation and metrics group, which I thought naturally this would be where we would get feedback, he says really they only deal with the first part. They're not into the metrics side of things yet. I guess what I'm anticipating is the metrics side of things. I'm anticipating the bean counters putting the thumb on people and saying, "Okay, what value do you have?" Not to say it's good; not to say it's bad.

But let's be proactive with this and let's put this proposal forward and see how we can work with staff to make your life, Ariel, and other people's lives easier and so that we can go back to people in our own community that question our value as well. We get questioned from every level, and so I just want a tool to be able to say, "Here. This is what we've done." That's where I'm coming from, but I think there's intrinsic value.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Glenn. Just a minor correction though. It's the ALS Criteria and Expectations task force. I believe that was the actual group, not criteria and metrics. Okay? All right, Judith, Seun, and then Ariel.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, Ariel, your comment is very relevant, but I think we also have to figure out what we define as policy. In that matter, I think that oftentimes NARALO or oftentimes ALAC has decided not to put a comment in but individual ALSes have decided they wanted to comment. Right now there's no way of tracking that besides going manually into it.

So maybe the thing is, I know to submit a comment I think you have to log into Confluence and upload your comment to the page. Maybe there's some way of tracking that automatically so that when someone who is within a RALO and has been posting a comment that is indeed tracked besides staff going through each comment all the time and just writing people down.

So I don't know whether we should be doing that because I think those are also policy advice. An example is that when the fellowship document came up for comment, we had about five commenters from NARALO but these people are not tracked because there's no method of tracking them. The only method of tracking ALAC policy advice, and I think that also needs to be put in. That's just my comment.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks for that, Judith. I'm sure Ariel probably wants to respond to that as well, but I see Seun and then Ariel and then we want to move on from this.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, yeah, thank you very much. Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, yeah, so I think Ariel touched on one of my comments and I think Glenn's response was quite helpful and that of Judith as well. So what we are looking at, we already have someone else level of tracking. For instance, for the AFRALO statements, they are being tracked. For the ALAC statements, they are being tracked. And for all the other whatever, the policy, the public comments that we are sponsoring even if it is not from an ALAC member but if anybody writes a public comment and does the ALAC, it is also tracked I believe on the website.

So what I think it's probably less if those comments that [inaudible] like Judith has mentioned. I don't know an easy way to do that. Perhaps maybe it could be from the [inaudible] at a global level whereby once a person is submitting a public comment that the [inaudible] actually asks for which of the community [inaudible] representing in terms of submitting the particular comment or statement. If that can be [inaudible] level, maybe then you can then [inaudible] down to check if it was to log this information in the future.

Without doing that initially, I don't think it's good that you follow up with it [in the future] and use it for anything meaningful unless it is actually [inaudible] in those comments. That's my [inaudible] contribution. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, thanks, Seun. Good points raised. Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Dev. I don't want to take more time on this agenda item but just to quickly respond to Glenn's comments. I think as a RALO if you want to say you produce policy advice, you need to have a mechanism how to encourage others to write statements and then provide comments together so that it's a more collaborative process rather than an individual activity.

If you just really want to know the people who are NARALO commented on things in an individual capacity and just tracking that number, I don't think it's very much valuable then figuring out that mechanism how to

produce advice as a RALO together and encourage more group activities [with rather] collaborative work than just individual work.

Because I don't think that works. The individual contribution, I don't think that can justify as a NARALO contribution. So even [if] we have the metrics, we still are kind of putting the cart before the horse. That's all my comment now.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Ariel. Very interesting comment, indeed, and frankly I didn't really think there would be that much comment on this. So it's very interesting stuff. I have to listen again to the recording and see if it captures some of the more salient points. Maybe this could be updated, the proposal then, Glenn, could be updated with that. All right?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Let me respond. I think Seun and Ariel's are excellent points, and that shows the relationship we have. This committee is really encouraging staff participation. We're not doing this and saying, "Here. Do this job." We want to do it not in a vacuum. We want to do it as a collaborative effort so that everyone's life is easier, everyone gets the intelligence, everyone benefits from this. So any constructive feedback or criticism is welcome. All I'm saying is we go back to why we did this in the first place.

And to be honest with you, this has been going around for two years and no one has done anything on it. In fact, Dev could tell you that I really had to do this myself. Basically, even though I tried [poke] Olivier

and Dev, they said, “Yeah, go ahead and do it if you want.” Not that they’re disinterested. It’s people are busy. So I’m not holding my breath on this. I just thought let’s throw it at the committee. Let’s see if there’s an interest. It may have, may not.

But from my impression from Heidi last week is that even if it doesn’t get funded, it may find some space somewhere. It may find an interest somewhere. So I’m just raising this issue up. Whether people like it or not, I’m just saying here is an issue that has been ignored. That’s my final comment.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn, on this. And again, thanks for pushing this forward. And indeed, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I think. But I think it’s a very good proposal and we do need help implementing it because we can’t do it on our own. As you said, we’re just way too busy.

So we only have close to 12 minutes and we have two agenda items. Okay, well, I think I could the updates regarding eXo and Mattermost very, very quickly. So, Glenn, go ahead on the meeting app [survey].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, folks, I’m going to be real quick. We had very few. We had 22 responses back on the app. There were very few constructive feedback comments. I’d say Alfredo is probably the most intelligent person who has given feedback. He gave feedback on alternate tools. The highlight is he talked about Beacon. I created a very extensive list of event apps, and really only two people responded. One on EventMobi and the other

on CrowdCompass. Can you take this survey and say here to Josh? We got a lot of constructive feedback.

This is peanuts: 20 out of 3,600 people doesn't make a really great survey. But I would say in terms of the comments, particularly Alfredo and I'd like to thank him for his effort, and concretely we're going to have some solid experience using this because he used it at the last ERIN session and all of us at NARALO will be at ERIN, so we're going to have some real practical experience using the app.

So perhaps I'd like to suggest as an action item we come back, particularly Judith and I and Alfredo and others who actually will use that app constructively, and try to do a follow up feedback because it seems to be the tool that impressed Alfredo. No one else really gave a substantial comment on it at the present time. There was another comment that somebody talked about Eventbrite which really isn't relevant. That's my quick report.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, well, thanks, Glenn, for that concise report. Any thoughts or comments on it? All right, just one response. I would say that perhaps the challenge has been getting this more widely accepted. I mean you mentioned, yes, that 3,000 people that attend ICANN meetings, but not everybody saw the survey. It was [inaudible] within the At-Large community [inaudible]. And then again, only a subset of the ICANN At-Large community are at the face-to-face meetings. Perhaps it's [about] the same or perhaps same amount of persons attending other events

which can share experiences about the tools that have been used. So that's a caveat. I don't think the numbers are that bad.

Any other comments? Okay, seeing no other comments, let me just go then to our final agenda item and that's the Review/Testing of the eXo platform. This is a tool that has the potential to be a policy management process system as part of Recommendation 26 in the At-Large recommendations. [Stuart Clark] is a person who has been tasked to try to set this up on his server space and has said that he has been a little bit too busy. He gave apologies when giving his apologies for the call today.

We could do two approaches. James Gannon has suggested that he is able to try to get this set up as a separate instance. Another alternative approach is to perhaps use the online version of the eXo platform that is on eXo platform itself and just begin to start doing some informal testing there.

Let me just quickly post the link. I've already gone in and created an account. So perhaps other persons can just log in quickly and then we could just, as I say, kick the tires around of this tool. Seun, go ahead. Seun, you had a comment?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible]

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, I wanted to say something. Hello.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think it's sorted out. Go ahead, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, sorry. I lost audio. It just came back. I wanted to comment on Glenn was saying something about the app. I think I did [fill] the survey. One thing I think was significant for me because I note that Glenn [inaudible] some significant concerns. I think the fact that I would need to download [inaudible] is significant for me. [inaudible] avoiding that, otherwise it's quite not really helpful in that regard.

The other aspect is the ability to actually sync all of the agenda items with Google Calendar isn't really flexible as well. But I put it in the survey. So if those comments were not received, Glenn, please let me know. I can redo it [inaudible]. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks. I'm sure Glenn can look back on the survey results and then get back to you on that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Let me respond to Seun. Seun, I didn't want to praise you because I didn't want your head to swell but, yes, I do recall those comments. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right, thanks for that, Glenn. So just to say that going back to the eXo platform testing, James Gannon has suggested that he could step in and try to do this. So we will probably reach out to the co-chairs and staff will reach out to James and ask him to do the testing. However, I do know there is a sort of community eXoPlatform.com where anyone can join. This maybe we could try for some of us to join the informal group – this is an informal thing on eXoPlatform.com – and just kick the tires around. All right? So that's eXo platform.

Mattermost. Glenn I know has been trying very hard with Mattermost to get them to come on to do a special purpose call or whatever. Well, Glenn, just briefly could you just give an update on what were the results on that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I talked to support three or four times asking for timeslots so they can come and do an overview presentation. They keep asking me how many licenses do I need, what do I need it for. I keep answering and it seems to just disappear – at least four times. So I'm about fed up trying to get these people to slate in. I'll try one more time, but that's it. I'm tired of being ignored, so I'll try one more time.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Glenn, for the effort. But actually hopefully what I will have to say next you probably don't have to contact them again. I just talked to [inaudible] who had experience with deploying Mattermost and he has agreed to step in to help deploy it. He said he would try to do it and try to have it up and running by next week Monday, maybe earlier. So we'll

probably have a Mattermost tool server for us to create accounts on and to test. Okay? So hopefully we can begin testing sometime next week of our [new testing] Mattermost.

Okay, conferencing solutions.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Dev, we had a question from the phone I think or from the interpreter.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh, I'm so sorry. I missed that. Is there a question from the ES channel? Please go ahead.

[RENATA]: Yes, may I ask a question?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Renata. Yes.

[RENATA]: I would like to ask a question or to make a comment.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, go ahead, Renata.

[RENATA]: I would like to know if the Technology Task Force are already making any review of Mattermost. There will be a meeting in March, and would you test all these tools so as to know whether there will be some At-Large session or people from At-Large would be in this session so as to initiate any type of conversation with the task force. Thank you very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Renata, for the question. The answer is yes. We will be. A Technology Task Force (TTF) member will be deploying Mattermost. When he is finished setting it up, he will also tell us how to connect to it. so the Technology Task Force can then test the Mattermost tool. I'll post an e-mail to the Technology Task Force list when it's ready. Okay? All right.

So we have about just literally under two minutes for the last item: conferencing solutions. I think Judith has been following up with Meetecho. Judith, briefly could you just summarize what's the outcome with that, which was I think very favorable. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, as I mentioned earlier, we hope to do a [final date] in February either as a special purpose call or during our main task force call to do a rollout to do a testing of Meetecho. They have been very welcoming to our testing. So we'll just have to set a date to test it or to have a special purpose call. It's probably going to be the week of our meeting in mid-February, but stay tuned.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right. Great. Excellent. So we could probably just add that as an action item to arrange for a Doodle for an appropriate date and time during the month of February.

Okay, I see also that Olivier has suggested Mikogo, which I believe we did test. But he has noted that there have been several improvements. For example, they are using things such as WebRTC for audio conferencing and video conferencing. So perhaps we need to look at that again.

I have to confess I do not have the bandwidth in January to look at this. Is there somebody who is willing to work with staff to help set up a testing of Mikogo or to see how it can be tested? I believe there's a trial version that can be deployed. So have a trial version set up and then if we can have a special purpose call whatever actually to test out the tools? Any volunteers quickly?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, you can put that on me.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, Seun, thanks for volunteering. I greatly appreciate it. So Seun will do the testing of Mikogo. Okay, lovely.

All right. We're now two minutes past the hour, so any quick any other business anyone wants to raise very quickly? Going once, going twice. Okay, question from Satish: "Will TTF be able to provide a five-minute

security advisory during RALO monthly meetings on an as-needed basis for the larger community?” Satish, I would like to say let’s try to do that. We could probably package it as part of a news briefing or a PDF or something of that sort that could be sent to the persons or published on the wiki if need be. So I think, yes, I think I would like to try to do this. That’s a good goal to try for. So, again, that’s one of action items to try to report on security issues faced by the community. All right?

Okay, so I’d like to thank everyone for this call, very informative, and everyone’s participation. Thanks again to the interpreters and to staff. This call is now adjourned. Thank you very much. Have a wonderful morning, afternoon, evening, night. Take care all.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]