
GLENN MCKNIGHT: Please go ahead and do the roll call and start the recording. Thank you.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Okay. Thanks so much. Let's please start the recording. I'll go ahead with the roll call.

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the Ad-Hoc NARALO Fiscal Year 2018 Budget Requests Discussion call taking place on Thursday, 12th of January, 2017, at 14:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Glenn McKnight, Marita Moll, Alan Greenberg, Eduardo Diaz, Alfredo Calderon, Evan Leibovitch, and Javier Rua-Jovet.

Currently we don't have any apologies for today's call.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Evin Erdoğan, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar.

Finally, if I could please remind all participants to state their names before speaking for the transcription purposes.

Over to you, Glenn. Thank you very much.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. Welcome, everybody. Thanks for joining us on such short notice, and I need to thank Heidi for squeezing this in. I know she's exceedingly busy and it's appreciated to respond so quickly.

Heidi, is everything woken up? Are you ready to start talking?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I can. I am not in the AC room. Yeşim, could you please put the link in? Because I'm just not in my Outlook yet. I don't want to delay anything. Thank you – Gisella has done that.

Alan, since you're on the call, if you want to come in as well whenever you'd like, that would be useful as well.

Let me just get the agenda so I can see...I know that we're going to start with Fiscal Year 2018.

Yeşim, could you please put the link to the Fiscal Year 2018 Workspace into the chat if it's not already – it's on the agenda for everybody – because that has really all the information that I'm going to be looking at.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Hi, Heidi. The link is actually displaying now on the Adobe Connect.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect. Okay, so we're looking at the criteria and I just wanted to go through...I'm not going to go through the finance criteria. That is something that is on this Workspace that's mid-way down the page, so

please do look at that. I don't think much has changed from last year, but I do want to stress that they will not accept requests that have someone from the community getting paid for an activity. Obviously, they will accept proposals that provide funds for an activity of the community, but not one that will pay a community member directly. So, I wanted to stress that.

Then last year, the Finance and Budget Subcommittee of the ALAC sent out additional criteria and those are right above the Finance section. I'm just going to read those and then we'll go through the templates as well.

Number one is that, "Outreach should not be a major focus," because we basically have the CROPP for that. You can do activities that include outreach, include engagement, but I would stress that they also include some sort of policy-raising awareness or education or capacity building.

I know that there's one being developed on outreach at the IGF and as I've mentioned before, I would stress that it should not just be outreach where people would stand, passing promotional materials out and speaking to people. It would need to be much more expansive in terms of raising awareness, etc.

Again, if it's something strictly outreach, then please go through the CROPP for that.

"The proposal should include ways in which activities will make the ALAC and/or the At-Large community more effective and develop the At-Large communities." And that refers back to my first comment.

Another one is that, “RALO requests must go through a bottom-up process within their RALO prior to being submitted for a consideration by the FBSC.” And that’s why this call is being held. While you’re starting to develop your proposals, you’d need to go through the RALO.

Another one is that, “RALOs should consider the General Assembly Summit timelines.” Again, for this next Fiscal Year, Fiscal Year 2018, it was APRALO, given that NARALO is holding their General Assembly to the additional budget process in Fiscal Year 2017 this year.

Another one is that, “The RALO request must be explicitly supported by their RALO representatives on the FBSC.” Glenn, I believe one is you and the other one is Javier – or Judith and Javier, I believe. I’ll need to double check that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, you’re correct. And I’m a participant.

HEIDI ULLRICH: You’re a participant?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect. Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Heidi, sorry. You're not seeing the chat, correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm not yet. I'm going to try –

GLENN MCKNIGHT: There is questions from what you're saying. We can wait until you're done.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: There is questions as you're talking.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And then finally is that there are several proposals that were accepted this past year that will likely go into core. But just as a safeguard, there are some – and Alan and the ALT are aware of them – that still need to do two steps – well, three, basically. One is to go have another request made, another submission of a request. Secondly is to put a statement in during the Fiscal Year 2018 budget allocation which is a normal budget. And then thirdly, within that statement, to go ahead and put in the comments that it's being requested both core and as an additional one.

Okay. If you could just take a minute – and I apologize that my technology here is just not up yet. Just give me one minute while I get into the AC room.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

While Heidi's checking that in, I've seen some comments from Alfredo. I'm not sure if he has voice. Perhaps when she comes back, Alfredo, you can ask those direct questions regarding... Because they're with an issue in non-payment, but I think you're asking about the out-of-pocket expenses, if that would be covered. So, when she comes back we can ask that.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So, I'm on audio. Alfredo, on that question from what Glenn has said, no. No out-of-pocket expenses are going to be covered. Basically, no remuneration for community members for a project.

Let me just take a look at the questions. Alfredo, I'm reading that, "So, no individual would have to pay travel expenses." That would be – if you were going to have a request to do outreach with engagement and policy awareness-raising, then you would need to put it into the request a request for travel. Whether that is approved as part of the... If the whole, entire, project is approved, that travel may or may not be covered. But, definitely put that into the request.

If an activity is in your region, you may – and maybe this is a question for Rob – you may be able to put both a CROPP request in as well as a

Fiscal Year request to cover travel as well as other expenses. That might be something we need to look into.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Heidi, there's a second question – I don't know if you can read it – from Evan. [inaudible] can see it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Evan, good question. That might be something that Rob wishes to respond to, but I know that in the past, for example, for promotional items – for communications types of projects – a third party vendor, can be used but it has to be approved by the Coms Department or a third party vendor that the Coms Department already uses.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No, if you're looking at my question, that isn't what I was saying. What I was saying is, can the –

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh, "solicit funding from other sources." So, basically in addition to going to ICANN, looking for other sponsorship? Is that the question?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Absolutely. Yes.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: In other words, it's possible that the ICANN funds cannot be paid to the participant, but the supplemental funding could be used for that. In other words, this restriction applies to not only ICANN's funding, but to any other funding we could get from other sources?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's a good question. Let me...

I know one example, like this current Fiscal Year, the Internet School in India – they received a lot of funding from different sources. I don't know if that answers, fully, your questions. So basically, you're asking if ICANN would pay as one of their parties, you're saying.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Here's what I'm getting at. The ICANN guidelines are very clear that ICANN money cannot be used to fund participants themselves. Okay, fair enough. Can the project then go out to supplemental sources of funding that would pay for participants, providing that the money provided by ICANN went to defined budget items that did not include that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would say yes, but let's bring that up to Rob again because, for an example that I've heard and of what I've seen, that has been done in the past.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: As far as I recall.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: And you're saying that a particular outside consulting organization, they must be vetted by ICANN also?

HEIDI ULLRICH: If it's for example – an example that I used was for a communications project. If another third vendor was going to be used, the Communications Department would need to approve it or they would say, "Well, no. Use ours instead, that we've already vetted."

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Even if the intent of this was to provide something that was something of an independent voice? I'm starting to give away the intention of the project here, Heidi, but one of the things that I and some collaborators are interested in doing is a kind of communications project that is somewhat independent from using ICANN's official voice so that it can provide something that is understood to be at least somewhat impartial, somewhat independent, and perhaps a little bit more trustworthy than something that has the known bias of, "Well, this is coming from ICANN."

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Excuse me, I'm going to interrupt. Evan, you're actually getting into detail on your proposal. Can you table that for a second? We've got a queue of Marita, Eduardo, and Alan. Is your question answered by Heidi?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Well, it's fully asked.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: But we do have a queue, so do you want to wrap up?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Evan, let me get back to you on that, okay?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Marita, on your question – do you have voice? Marita?
Okay, I'm going to go to Eduardo next.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Glenn.

MARITA MOLL: Sorry, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Go ahead, Marita.

MARITA MOLL: My question is, can you propose a country specific? Like if I wanted to build a list of potential speakers, can it be Canada-specific?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I don't see why not. I would think that if it was within all of NARALO, it would likely be strengthened, but I don't see why not. I know that there have been other programs that have been approved that are just in one country, so I don't see...

What might happen is that in the GSE – the Government and Stakeholder Engagement Team which is led by Chris Mondini – he might say, “Well, that’s something that we could also help with because that’s part of our approach or our plans.” That’s something you may wish to reach out to him about, and I’m happy to do that for you.

MARITA MOLL: This is a total first shot for me. I’m just trying to figure out how I would do this, and this is one thing that occurred to me that we could do here in Canada.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. What I’m happy to do is send you an example of a proposal that was similar – just a one-country specific that was approved – so you can take a look at what it is.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Heidi. Eduardo, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have a quick question for you, Heidi. Before you mentioned that participants may or may not be funded out of this budget, but the definition of “participant” – we’re doing an event that is mostly capacity building. Will it cover the participation of the people that are going to provide the capacity? Not the ones that are going to take it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo, I’m assuming you’re talking about the Internet School you’re planning. Is that correct?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, that’s correct.

HEIDI ULLRICH: My view is that you may wish to collaborate with, again, Christopher Mondini, on that and seek other sponsorship as well. Because I know that the other Summer Schools – I believe they get funding from ICANN but not exclusively. They seek other sponsorship that covers other expenses.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we plan to do that, too. I just wanted to make sure. But I will [inaudible] Mondini.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would think that there may be other sources that can provide the sponsorship while ICANN would provide other... They might provide the materials that you need, etc. You might ask for space. You might ask for a room to hold this in if you need that. I think that yours is an excellent project, and I'm eager to see what you're putting together.

Glenn, do you want to start getting into these individual questions now so I can start asking questions or should we do that later?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: What I'm hoping is that in the agenda, that people can talk about their projects because, as you said at the beginning, it has to be RALO vetted and this is the first time, actually, I'm hearing about some of the projects – actually what the ideas are.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I [want] Alan in the queue and if I can turn it to Alan, please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. A response to a number of things. The caveat that ICANN will not fund people who are proposing the project or associated with the project implies that if the money from a third provider is

funneled through ICANN, then the rule applies. If the money is paid directly to someone else, then nothing ICANN can do to stop that.

Same sort of rules associated with what Eduardo asked, that if we're talking about can we remunerate speakers at the Internet Governance School – if it's moneyed through ICANN, no. On the other hand, certainly you can pay travel expenses and lodging and that kind of thing if that's applicable.

All of these things depend on exactly how one routes the money. And similarly, from Evan's question of can we go to some other vendor? Well, if it's a fly-by-night company that ICANN doesn't feel their money should be put into, they have some discretion there. There's a certain cost to starting to deal with a new vendor which ICANN has and they will no doubt consider that when looking at the cost of the venture and how much it will cost just to open up the account. I don't know. I have no clue what those numbers are and what [inaudible] are. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Alan. Let me get this correct. Is it spelled out very clearly in this document what they will fund and what they will not fund, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

No. I believe that it is more in the finance criteria that is listed on the Workspace. So please, before you put pen to paper or ink to your...start typing away, read the criteria. Read those finance criteria that are listed there. And if you have questions, that's why the whole process is–

Do you mind if I start going through the timelines briefly so we can just–

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No. Please do.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I know that the deadline to get it in to the FBSC is Monday, but there's time afterwards. Basically, again, the deadline to send proposals through your RALO is the 16th. Then after that on the 18th, there's a call of the Finance and Budget Subcommittee with the Finance staff that are going to be looking at that. And I'm inviting Rob Hoggarth to that as well.

So, at that point, all the proposals that we've received will be given a first glance by the Finance and there'll be comments made. After that, you have between the 19th and the 24th of January to revise proposals based on those comments. And then on the 25th, those final comments will be reviewed by the FBSC – between the 25th and the 27th, so you still have some flexibility. And then on the 30th is when those final requests need to be submitted to the ICANN finance Controller. So, you still have a few days extra to start incorporating comments.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Before you proceed, any questions on the timelines? Anyone have any issues or concerns for Heidi on this issue – those who are on Adigo or Adobe? I think Joly is typing something up. I don't see anything yet, so go ahead, Heidi please.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Rob just confirmed he'll be here in about five minutes. Let me just continue with the timeline then.

After that, there's a preliminary review of requests by ICANN staff, and that happens through the 10th of March. So, what the new process is – first off, there's an internal group of about four people or so senior staff that start looking at all of the requests and contacting the people that would be directly implemented from staff on these issues.

A new step that's going to happen – and I'm really happy to announce – is that there's a senior Management Group that I'm part of, as well as Rob and others, that now will be coordinating. That Senior Management Group consists of people from the GSE and DPRD – the Developments Group. So basically, while that internal smaller group is starting to look at all of them, there'll be discussion among a larger group so we're all coordinated and we can advocate, if that's the correct word, for the requests.

I'm really pleased that I can directly speak to these people, this group, who's going to look at them.

Once, then, this small internal group looks at them, then they're sent up to the senior-senior people and then they will go to the Board. And then the main meeting of the Board will look at them and adopt the ones that are being approved.

Any questions there?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I don't see any hands up, Heidi. I guess not. Proceed, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think at this stage, that's really the end there. Yeşim, is there any way that we can get the template up? I put the template on that Workspace in bright red so you can see that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: The one thing on the template, Heidi, is that the e-mail is to the Controller. That is not correct. I think [it's to staff.] Is that right?

HEIDI ULLRICH: For ALAC, yeah. For the At-Large community, please send it first to staff and to Alan, the initial ones. And then we'll make sure that the FBSC sees it. We'll post them on the site – that Fiscal Year 2018 Budget Development site – and they'll take them into the process then.

Yeşim, are you able to show that? Thank you so much.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Sorry, Heidi. I wasn't able to unmute, but I'm posting it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so this is not a very large template. You don't need to put too much information, and don't worry too much about the expenses required.

The first part is basically just the title, community request, your name. So, if it's coming from NARALO, you can put your name in and then (NARALO).

“Chair” – you can either put Glenn or Alan. And then I would be your [community staff/community liaison].

Very detailed here. “Activity - Please describe your proposed activity in detail.” It’s just a paragraph or so. You don’t need to put pages and pages of that.

“Type of activity” – Again, I would suggest that you put in maybe a blended version – outreach, education/training, etc.

“Proposed timeline” – Again, if it’s a recurring activity, put the dates in. If it’s a one-time activity, just put that in as well. I think you would probably put in above where the activity is happening.

“Strategic alignment” – Which area of ICANN’s Strategic Plan does this request? You can see their plan on the ICANN.org website.

Yeşim, if you’re able to put that in the chat, that would be great. Just do a search for “ICANN Strategic Plan.” You may also wish to use the NARALO Strategic Plan if it’s a NARALO one.

“Demographics” – Which audiences/which geography does your request target? Again, if you’re looking for just At-Large, if you’re looking to reach out to other groups, please include that.

And then “Deliverables” – This is, I think, important. “What is the desired outcome?” And again, I would think that if you could put some type of note in there on will the impact be sustainable? Will it be sustained or is it basically something that is going to happen over a weekend and then basically hope for the best that it’s going to have some sort of impact. If you can think about how you could make it

sustained. You might think of, for example, a webinar following that or a document that comes out of that or something, that would be useful.

“Metrics – What kind of return on investment?” Are you going to do a Survey? Are you going to look at numbers? Glenn, I think for the IGF one you put in five ALSes and you talked about that you might add that to individuals. That would be a little bit more detailed about that as well.

“Resource Planning Description” – Here you can put in, for example, if you need At-Large staff to support that. Or if you need GSE staff, put that in as well. Oftentimes, that would be part of our normal work, so that’s when these requests are being reviewed. The internal and team does add that and they note that.

“Subject Matter Experts” – That would be, for example, if you needed someone from ICANN or someone else from the IG community to give a presentation or to do a document. That’s when you would put that in.

Evan, maybe on your document you would put here that you would need someone who has a certain approach to that document you’d like to prepare. So, make a case why it would need to be someone that you’re choosing because of their expertise.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Actually, okay. When we get to the point where I can give a little bit more detail of what I’m proposing, maybe this will be [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay.

“Technology Support” – Here again, if it’s, for example, a GA or something, here you would need to have the room, the microphone, the Adigo Connect or the Adobe Connect, etc., for all of that.

“Language Services Support” – If you need interpretation, obviously put that in. Or if you need translation services, put that in.

Here is one for Travel Support. I don’t even know why that’s in because I know that travel support, obviously, there is going to be some if it’s seen as directly linked to that. And maybe Rob can address that in a few minutes, on that.

Again, the last one is just “Potential Planned Sponsorship Contribution” – If it is at all possible to get other sponsorship, I think it’s important for people to see that you’re looking at other means of funding as well. So, I think that one would be an important one as well.

Any questions there?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

No one’s put up their – Sorry. Go ahead, Joly.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Perfect.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Joly has a question.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Joly, I just wanted to announce that Rob is now with us. Rob, welcome. We have had a lot of good questions that I have tried my best to answer, but I'm sure that you can do a lot better job. I'm going to hand it back to Joly. And Rob, please respond as needed. Thank you.

JOLY MACFIE: Is my mic working okay?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, you are.

JOLY MACFIE: My question is just that if I get together with Tom and we decide to do something and so we're two separate ALSes, do we have to do the proposal just in one ALS or can we make a joint proposal?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, Rob?

ROBERT HOGGARTH: I'm sorry. I didn't realize that was a question for me. I thought it was for Glenn. The At-Large community has a unique approach to the Special Budget Requests in that you guys funnel the requests through the RALOs and then, I think, you've got the overall Finance Group that

evaluates them. I think that's really a judgement, Glenn and Judith, you all need to make in terms of how you want to manage things from a NARALO standpoint.

Ultimately, I don't know, from the At-Large process, how you guys funnel things up. But I think you all should encourage yourselves to collaborate, combine requests. And I think, ultimately, the less siloed various requests are the better. In other words, if you are identifying activities, processes, new capabilities, that are applicable to multiple groups, that's going to be the most powerful request that comes in.

In particular, the special budget request process has been very useful on a number of fronts for pilot activities, and resources that are provided to more than one group or across the board are often viewed as more productive, efficient, or effective. So, the more folks you can combine on a request, I think it would be better. I hope that was a helpful response.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Rob. I believe Alan has responded as well – and I endorse it – that multiple ALS requests are great. So, Joly, I think you would get a [rounding] support for that concept. Thank you.

Rob, since you're still on the line, I know you missed the first part, but the floor is yours for a few minutes and then we're going to turn to each of the individual proposals. So, back to you, Rob.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: Thanks, Glenn. I have no particular proposal to make, simply that I'm glad to be here and happy to answer any questions. You guys have tremendously thought through this, operated in this mode for a number of years, and so whenever you have Glenn and Alan on the call, you have the best advice already.

I'm just happy to answer questions and maybe strategize with you guys to help on specific request questions or to reinforce some of the things that Heidi is saying about the value of fully documenting the requests. Thanks. I'll turn over the other time to just people asking questions. Thanks very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Okay, the floor is open. Anyone have a question for Heidi, Alan, or Robert? Okay, Evan, go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks, Glenn. And it's impossible to sort of ask the question without getting into more detail about my proposal, so I'm going to be starting to give it away a bit. Hopefully, that can help with you guys. And by the way, Rob and everyone, thanks for coming in and providing this background information.

I'm looking to do a contest. And the reason, Heidi, why I was asking whether or not the final communications people, so to speak, would need to be vetted by ICANN is because the intention is to actually hold a contest amongst animators and film producers to provide some shorts, but to basically get various points of view from them.

And we wouldn't know ahead of time until we actually saw the results of the submissions to the contest where we would see who the winning entries would be. So, the funds that would be requested from ICANN would be the prize money and the judges' expenses to actually create this contest and basically to put out the results either on a YouTube channel that would either be official or unofficial on whether or not ICANN liked the results.

But it's going to be impossible to pre-vet who the actual, shall we say, communications consultants are going to be because that's not going to be known until we have the contest and we see the submissions and we have a winner chosen independently.

So, when you say the communications firm or the communications consultants, or whoever is doing the actual writing and perspective or whatever, that's not going to be known until the very end of the program.

ROBERT HOGGARTH:

Thanks, Evan. Let me make a couple of observations. And thanks for sharing that because, I think, Kate said these are always very useful. I think in terms of an overall perspective – and some of your fellow colleagues here on this call can explain some of their past experiences with staff on some of these ideas and proposals – it's very helpful and important to socialize these ideas.

So, you sharing that now is great. The earlier you share these concepts, the better. The process internally that we go through is socializing all the requests, not just from a financial standpoint but from a resource

standpoint and from a strategic standpoint in terms of how it fits in with the ICANN strategic plan and where everything else pulls together.

I would strongly encourage you to reach out to members of the ICANN comms team – and Heidi and I can help facilitate those interactions – to have you share some of these concepts and ideas so that you can fertilize the ground, I guess would be the appropriate metaphor, to help others appreciate and understand what you're trying to accomplish with the various ideas and projects, how those things link in with what NARALO and, more broadly, At-Large wants to accomplish.

And in many respects, they can help with the ideas, with the suggestions; they can help you brainstorm and they can sort of work through it and help you craft something that is consistent with what you want and consistent with what they want.

That's just an overall observation without making any judgment about this particular idea, but I think it's just a very helpful sort of initial case study to recommend that. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

If the rest of you will sort of begrudge me just another couple of minutes. Rob, the reason why this approach was being taken – and this all came out of the late last year campaign by Ted Cruz and a bunch of others to derail the transition process – an information campaign for which ICANN was absolutely ill-equipped.

So, what I'm trying to do through this is to actually have the ammunition at the ready in a manner that is somewhat independent from ICANN

comms itself because right now, in a world of fake news and things like that where sources and trustworthiness are an issue, having something that isn't totally the party line will probably go a lot better way to spreading genuine information than something that comes out of the comms department. Does that make any sense?

ROBERT HOGGARTH:

Yes, it makes a great amount of sense. I would observe that you're asking for people to take that leap of faith, and I think that the best way to accomplish that is by working with them on it. Remember, there are two ways to look at this.

One is, the special budget requests are things that are different and unique, and you certainly qualify for that in this case study and noting the concept and idea that you have there.

You could also take the route – and some might argue this is something that should be in the general ICANN budget and it's something that the comms team should be planning for – recognizing that there is a value in other voices and they shouldn't be necessarily the sole voice in terms of coming up with some of these communications, plans, and strategies.

So, I think ultimately, strategically it's a multi-prong approach on your part in which the FBR, the special budget request, would be one way to approach this. And the other would be a program conversation with comms staff and senior executives to see if that idea could float.

So, I'm just suggesting that there are multiple ways to approach this. But yes, what you would want to do is just what you did, and others can

use this as an example. What you just did, which is, I thought, great, "Okay, this is why I think this is an important initiative on the part of ICANN," and sort of work through the template that Heidi was going through with you guys to help guide that case that you would make. Thanks. I hope that's helpful.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you, Rob. I just want to let Alan respond, because I believe he's responding to the same issue. Alan, please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, thank you. Just a comment to Rob that what you described of approaching the communications people and discussing it with them sounds just dandy, but I think it's pretty well impossible to do that in the timeframe we're talking about.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: I agree in terms of potentially putting together the initial proposal, Alan, but the way Xavier and the finance team have set this up is they're looking for requests to come in the end of January, and then looking at almost a six- or eight-week process for dialog.

So, you might want to look – for many of you – look at the template that you submit as sort of the first step of the campaign or the program. And what we've had to do – and I know some of you have experienced this in the past – in some respects, you almost have to look at some of these requests as multi-year requests.

You start to fertilize the ground the first year – get people to understand the concept, have the discussions. Either the funds and resources are available in that first year or they're not, but you've then got people's mindshare. You're thinking about this stuff. Things are moving along.

And I've seen a number of requests that have taken a year or two to come to full fruition. The short timeframe of putting something together and getting something in shouldn't necessarily stop somebody or intimidate somebody from getting an idea in now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Rob.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I just want to give Evan one more minute if he wants to clarify anything else, or share with us before I turn to Eduardo's proposal.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No, actually, thanks, Glenn. What I just wrote in the chat was that I agree totally with what Rob says and I'm comfortable with that. If the comms team takes a look at some of these special requests and some of the discussion that stems from the special requests and say, "Okay, this thing is so useful to us that it should not be just a special project under

this budget thing, but it's something that we should mainstream that should be more baked into what ICANN does," I'm cool with that.

My interest is actually more getting it done than whether it's done as a special request or mainstream.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Perfect. Thank you so much. Okay, Eduardo, your team is next. Sorry, Marita. The order is slightly changing. I'll get to you right after Eduardo's discussion on his proposal. Go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn. I have a question about filling out this form for the budget request. And Bob, you might – you can help us on that.

The event that we have is a School for Internet Governance, and we're planning to do it like two days before the ICANN meeting happens here in Puerto Rico.

And I'm wondering if – since the ICANN meeting is going to be here, if we want to use some of the facilities that the ICANN meeting is going to use, like rooms or logistics like language services or streaming services – if we want to take advantage of that because of the fact that they're going to be here already, can we put something like that in the budget request?

And if we do that, do we need to put moneys attached to that, or do we just say that we want to explore that venue? And that will be a kind of – it's sponsorship by ICANN indirectly because they don't provide us

money for doing this. They're going to be there anyhow. If you can help me with that. Thank you.

ROBERT HOGGARTH:

Thank you, Eduardo. Yes, again, this is another good case study that illustrates a couple of other examples. If you look at the principles for the special budget request, one of the principles underscores the fact that these requests often include a variety of resources.

It's not just funds; it's staff supporting capability, it's community contributions and the rest. And the template, I think, tries to contemplate that in some way, shape, or form. It's very important to outline the various potential ways you think a particular request could be accomplished. So, I think that that is important from a template preparation standpoint.

From a longer term strategic standpoint, I think it's critical – particularly on the type of proposal that you're talking about – to reach out to ICANN staff to, again, be in the mode of explaining it to them, getting people on board.

And I don't mean just to necessarily support the idea, but to understand the idea and the concept. And for something like you're describing, Eduardo, I think getting the regional team involved in that conversation – consulting with them, even giving them the heads up that you're thinking about submitting this request, getting some feedback from them – would be very helpful.

There is a number of obstacles in your way for a proposal like this one, including the meeting strategy, and “Gee, are we allowed to expand outside the footprint of an existing ICANN meeting?” So, there are a number of process/procedural issues that go beyond just a budget.

Having that partnership with the regional team, maybe some conversations down the road with the meetings team itself to understand what the practical possibilities are with that venue – with where the plans are, with how the contracts are being written – would all be very important.

So, I encourage you to reach out to Rodrigo's team or Christopher's team, or whoever's team makes the most sense – and the more the merrier I think in terms of getting feedback and perspective from some of the regional teams. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Rob. I believe Alan's got a qualifying comment on this issue. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yes, thank you, a couple. We pretend that these are special budget requests to come out of the allocation for special budget requests. But the reality is, probably half of the requests we put in are refused with a caveat that, "But we found another way to get you some money."

So, this is as much a process to which we can bring things to ICANN's attention that we want to do as a request for funds from this particular pool of money. So, if you look at the Indian School of Governance, the

project was refused, but there was ICANN money that was put into it through another path. So, we're living in an interesting world.

And just one other purely editorial comment. If we are using things like the meeting strategy to decide to not do something which, by all other measures, is a good thing, then we are misdirected with our rules. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thanks, Alan. That's an excellent point. Just because you get a no doesn't mean it's a no. It could be – as you said, Satish's proposal, he ended up getting some funds from his GSE as a result.

I want to turn back to Eduardo. Do you have any summary of the school itself that you want to sort of just do a quick summary? Then I can turn to Marita.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Again, I'm going to refer to Alfredo to give the details at this point, or Javier if they want to add to what I said, to the details of the meeting itself. But basically, this all happened because we went to the IGF in Mexico, and there was this session about schools around the globe. And when they ended up in North America, they said, "Well, is there anybody here from North America who can explain about the School of Internet governance?"

In North America, there was a silence, and basically [it's not language support. It] has happened before. So, we want to take the time to do it,

and I think that's what we want to do before – the best time to do it is a day before the ICANN meeting because of resources and stuff like that.

And basically, it's a capacity building. We haven't decided specifically the themes that we want to cover there, but what we see happening after this, this will help people only in Puerto Rico who live in the regions that want to come to this school. But we believe that talking about these big issues will help bringing some of that knowledge back into ALAC for whatever policy processes are happening within ICANN with respect to the ICANN remit.

And I think it will be a great event. I don't know if Alfredo or Javier want to add to that. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sorry, guys, I just want to – because I know Robert's got to run, I just want to let Robert just say a minute. Rob, what did you want to say before you go?

ROBERT HOGGARTH:

Thank you. And I'll stick around right up until I have to hop off to host another call. I just wanted to reinforce and add to what Alan said earlier.

It's very important – we all get caught up in the immediate process, but I think it's important to recall that this special budget request process came from the fact that there really wasn't a practical mechanism for members of the community to share these concepts and ideas within the overall budget process.

Because people are debating over a \$130 million budget or something like that, and that this process really does provide that room for you to introduce new ideas and create the excuse to have these types of conversation so that some of these items – as Alan said – that won't get a grant because of the small envelope of the budget request process can somehow find an outlet elsewhere.

So please, I encourage – and I know that you'll probably have more requests than ultimately get approved by the At-Large. But having these conversations within your own community and then not being shy about sharing these ideas with ICANN staff throughout the year, I think, is something to remain aware of.

Thanks very much, Glenn, for the couple moments there.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Alfredo and Javier are going to summarize, and then we have one question from Joly. Alfredo, please go ahead.

AFLREDO CALDERON: Sure. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can. Go ahead.

AFLREDO CALDERON: Okay. I want to reinforce that in the case of our project which is a School of Internet Governance, here in Puerto Rico we have another At-

Large organization which is HETS, which is a consortium of Hispanic universities here in Puerto Rico and in the States.

So, we actually have a – I would like to call it a critical mass of university students and faculty from different universities [on the island] that would be participating in the School of Internet Governance.

The other thing is that since we have, basically, a multi-language population that speaks English and Spanish, we'll be able to take care of probably some Caribbean islands that belong to the North America RALOs and also Canada.

Now, the other thing is that Puerto Rico has a particular scenario where there's a lack of knowledge of Internet governance, so we are expecting to have a huge number of participants from Puerto Rico, and then the people that will come from the States and the Caribbean islands.

Our understanding is that the event will be a very successful event besides the support we expect to get from other organizations.

Now, I do have a question for Rob or for Alan, if he is still here with us. If we get sponsorship from third party organizations like, for example, Internet service providers, some private organizations that have to deal with Internet services, university services that involve telecommunication technology or those sort of things, is that possible?
Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, anybody want to respond to his question?

ROBERT HOGGARTH:

I'm happy to take it as Alan is typing. Thanks for the question. I don't think there's any limitation on – and, certainly, you should all feel encouraged to try to leverage any resources that you have available to you. I have observed, in several instances, where the regional teams have been able to support an event partially with in-kind contributions with targeted support for a particular vendor or something like that when they don't have the capability to fully fund the entire event.

So, I think looking for multiple sources is always the best path to take, and in many respects, if you are having that collaboration with the regional team, they can help in terms of some of those partnerships, collaborations, or contacts, or connections. I would definitely encourage that.

The other piece here is that we are advocating for continuation of the CROPP once again in FY18, and one of the areas that we're looking to do is expand potentially – I don't want to create any great expectations here, but potentially looking at being able to give RALOs an opportunity to support a single or two events during a calendar year as an option instead of doing trips.

So, that might also be an option that's available. I wouldn't count on that though, so proceeding fellows with the thought of this school and the request at the Puerto Rico meeting is something that you should take advantage of, but then let's just stay flexible for how it might be executed. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Okay, thank you. Last comment before I turn to Joly's question, then to Marita. Alfredo, anything else?

ALFREDO CALDERON: No, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Great. Joly, your turn. Joly? We can't hear you. Going once, going twice. Joly, we missed you. We'll have to table it until after Marita's presentation.

Marita, please go ahead and talk about your proposal.

MARITA MOLL: Okay. Hi. I'm extremely encouraged, I must say, when I hear that it's encouraged and it's not unusual to throw things in and see how they develop over a year or to, as that's kind what I'm doing, pulling out some ideas. They're both capacity building ideas and that's what we need here in our part of the world.

One of them that I wanted to propose was basically a speakers list so that [inaudible] people in the region. That's one thing we don't have. That would really help in capacity building.

The other thing that bothers me a lot is that we're not making proper use of videoconferencing tools, and it's because most people don't know how to use them. Sometimes they're available to us and we don't really know how to use them, so we're discouraged from that. I was

thinking of proposing a kind of train the trainers model on the video conferencing tools that were available.

I recently learned that Adobe Connect is available to all ALSes, but nobody uses it. That's kind of an indication that this sort of thing is needed. These are two things that I'm thinking I might throw in and see where it goes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Let's see if Joly is mic-ed now. Joly?

JOLY MACFIE: Can you hear me now?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can.

JOLY MACFIE: Okay. My question was just about sort of timing. I see that the sort of final review is in May, so if we were planning to have an event and look for the money, we wouldn't really want to do the event until we knew we had the money. So, I'm trying to get an idea of when – sort of what timescale I should plan an event on and when the money might come through.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: Just before I take off, Glenn, I can answer that real quickly.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead.

ROBERT HOGGARTH: Joly, over the evolution of the program, the finance team, senior staff, and the Board have realized that to fully take advantage of resources in the next fiscal year, you all need to know earlier in the process.

That's something that we pushed forward very strongly with on the CROPP, because there were a number of events that people wanted to take advantage of in the July timeframe, and the fiscal year starts July 1.

So, the goal is to have some form of Board approval of the resolution of these requests in the April timeframe. That way, you all would know ahead of time whether a particular request has been granted and whether there will be resources available to you.

It's usually toward mid- to late April Board meeting where they'll evaluate all the requests and make the decisions. That should give you time. Just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't plan anything for July. I'd look for a little bit later in the fiscal year, but that's the general goal every year. I hope that's helpful.

Thank you, and I'm sorry I have to run, but I look forward to any potential one-on-ones if any of you want to have those with me and Heidi or just with me in the future. Thanks very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. I'm going to wrap up, folks. I just want to give you – because the agenda didn't get into the other proposals, one of the ones

that I forgot to put on there is being resubmitted as part of a pilot is the tribal ambassador program with Loris Taylor. We've gone over her proposal again this week and she's submitting that very soon.

That is the phase two of the tribal ambassador program where we had two people go to India, which was April and Valerie. That is in the works.

The other proposals on the list: Judith, captioning is an ALAC one just to let you know that that's going to be submitted. It's ALAC-wide.

The outreach and engagement proposal is part of a group – in part reaction to IGF Mexico, it's part of a larger proposal for IGF Geneva.

And the last one is a policy tracking system with TTF. That's a general overview.

I'd like to thank everybody on the call today. This has been really great, and I especially want to thank Rob and Heidi for their time on such short notice to give their time. And again, I want to stress that it's been very open in terms of giving comments back on your proposal, so if you want staff to review yours and give comments, please do.

We thank you all for joining us today, and look forward to the proposals. Thanks again, everyone.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:

Thank you so much. This is a great initiative. Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you. Thank you everyone, bye.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Many thanks [inaudible] and to everybody on ICANN staff, and to Glenn for setting this up. It's been extremely informative and helpful.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Bye, everybody.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned, so you will now be disconnected. Thank you very much for your participation, and have a lovely rest of the day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]