
OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I'm not hearing anyone confirming to me that the recording has started.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Olivier. It's Gisella. The recording has started, and we will start the call now. Thank you very much. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the first EURALO call in 2017, on Tuesday the 17th of January at 19:00 UTC.

On this evening's call, we have Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Roberto Gaetano, Tijani Ben Jemaa, León Sanchez, Yrjö Länsipuro, Matthieu Camus, Oksana Prykhodko, Andrei Kolesnikov, Wolf Ludwig, Christopher Wilkinson, Julie Hammer, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Sébastien Bachollet, Wale Bakare, Nenad Marinkovic, Erich Schweighofer, and Bastiaan Goslings.

No apologies noted as of yet.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, Evin Erdogan, Gabriella Schitteck, and myself, Gisella Gruber.

On this evening's call, we have live captioning, as you can see on the Adobe Connect. And apologies for the very small pods, but we have accommodated the live captioning pod. And if I could also please remind everyone to state your names before speaking to allow for the scribe to note your names as well, as well as for the usual transcript. Thank you very much, and over to you, Olivier.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Gisella. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Have we missed anybody in the roll call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, this is Heidi. I'm here as well.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you, Heidi. Noted. And with this, let's then move to our agenda. And usually we first do approval of the agenda. We have a very long agenda today, 13 points, and we only have one hour. So, we'll have to go quite swiftly.

I will ask for everyone to please also be quite direct in their points, and we'll hopefully be able to go through the whole thing in the time that is allocated to us. Are there any amendments or additions to the agenda? God forbid, hopefully no additions, but any amendments or points perhaps to add to AOB?

I'm not seeing anybody put their hand up, so the agenda is adopted as it currently is displayed on your screen. And first, we have to look at the action items. And our action items are—there's a number of them. The ones that are still around and not complete yet, there's one regarding the EURALO bylaws.

[INAUDIBLE] assistance. Olivier's to follow with Sandra and coordinate the reactivation of the group. That's actually done, so we can mark this as done. Olivier to get in touch with [INAUDIBLE] with regards to the task force on the Copenhagen activities.

I actually got in touch with Wolfgang, so he's also on board and moving with this. And finally, Olivier to ask for volunteers to be members of the Finance & Budget subcommittee. I have done that, and I think—is it Andrei Kolesnikov who is now part of the Finance & Budget subcommittee? I'm just doing this from memory, but I believe it is Andrei who has joined this subcommittee. Am I correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, Olivier. This is Heidi. Yes, we have him marked down as in.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, fantastic. Thank you. So, that's the current action items, all complete. Let's go immediately to the At-Large board member selection. We have Tijani Ben Jemaa, who is the chair of the Board Management Selection Process Committee, and Julie Hammer, the Board Candidate Evaluation Committee. As you know, there is a process in place for the At-Large community to select its next board member, and I'll hand the floor over to Tijani and Julie for and update on this.

JULIE HAMMER: Thank you, Olivier. Julie speaking. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, absolutely, Julie. We can hear you. I think that Tijani's trying to speak at the same time. So, one will have to be—choose who wants to speak first. Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Julie, start.

JULIE HAMMER: Thank you, Tijani. I will just very briefly recap on our work, because primarily it's important for Tijani to talk about next steps. The BCEC commenced its work on about the 23rd of September, and spent a good deal of time working on its code of conduct, the candidate requirements, and did a lot of new work on developing its own preface and tools in our template, and planning for the evaluation.

So, the call for EOIs actually went out on the 19th of October, with the final date for submission four weeks later on the 18th of November. Immediately the next day, the request for references were released, and the final date for references for the candidates, six candidates who had submitted Expressions of Interest, was on the 2nd of December.

The committee then worked very hard and announced the BCEC slate of candidates on the 16th of December, which was slightly earlier than the planned schedule. What our process entailed initially was a blind assessment with staff, anonymized, removing as much identifying information as possible from the Expressions of Interest so that the candidates were, if you like, evaluated as independently as possible by the BCEC members.

And subsequently, the candidates, once references were received, were then reevaluated and much more deep analysis conducted once all of

the information had been received. So, there were a number of stages to our process.

The names of the six candidates who had applied weren't released until the 29th of November, which is some time after they had actually submitted Expressions of Interest, and that delay was because of the blind evaluation process. The names of all six candidates were released for transparency reasons, but also because all of—well a number of the candidates had made their own candidacy known to the community.

So, it was felt important that the community be aware of all of the applicants. So, the final determination of the committee was to release the slate of candidates with two names, Alan Greenberg and León Sanchez, and that is now in Tijani's hands to take to the next stage. And I'll hand over to Tijani. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay, thank you very much, Julie. So, as Julie just said, they issued the slate of candidates, which contained only two names, Alan Greenberg and León Sanchez. Now what is the next—what are the next steps? First of all, the rule or procedure said that any RALO may decide that one of those four remaining applicants—you'll remember that there were six applicants, and the BCEC chose only two of them.

So, the remaining four, if one of the RALOs thinks that one of the remaining four people has a big value and they think that it is [INAUDIBLE] community, make use of their capacity, they feel they should be on the board. In this case, the RALO can make a petition to add this man or woman on the final slate.

But this decision of the petition should be done according to the formal procedure of the RALO. We have to use exactly the same procedure, the same rules that they are using for choosing anything, for working, for anything, etcetera, etcetera.

So, if they need to have all these votes, they have to vote. If they use to use the [INAUDIBLE], they have to do that. This is how the decision to make a petition to add one or more candidates on the final slate should be done for all the RALOs. Once this is done, and when the petition is decided on by the RALO, this petition needs at least the support of two other RALOs to be valid.

So, the support of the petition should also be done according to the formal procedure of each RALO, meaning that it is not the chair of the RALO that says "I support," and that's it, or it's the leadership of the RALO that says "We support."

It must be the team of the RALO, and I know each RALO has their formal rules, and it must be done according to the rules of those RALOs. So, this is for the petition. If you don't think that there is—one of the four remaining candidates has to be added on this slate, on the final slate, you don't have to do anything.

And this is the normal procedure. If you feel that you need to add someone on the slate, you have to go through the procedure I just described. This is the first step you have to do if you think that you need to add someone. If you don't have that, you don't have to do anything.

And again, the decision to make a petition to add anyone on the slate should be done according to the formal procedure and formal rules of

the RALO. Okay? So, this is the first one. And I also want to stress on the fact that those who can be added on the RALO slate should be one of the four remaining candidates, or four remaining applicants.

I can name them, Sébastien Bachollet, William Cunningham, [INAUDIBLE] and [INAUDIBLE]. So, the additions should be—should concern only those four persons. This is the first point. The second point now. When the final slate has been issued, we'll adopt one new [INAUDIBLE].

If you need to make a petition, you have to do that before 19th of January. If 19 January passed and no petition arrives, it's finished. No more additions. And if the petition comes before 19 of January, the other RALOs have until 29 of January to support the petition.

Each petition needs the support of two other RALOs. So, those are important dates that you have to remember. The final slate, if we go through the petition, the final slate will be issued on 31 of January. But if there is no petition, we may do it even on 19 of January.

Now, when the final slate is issued, the candidates and the community will [INAUDIBLE]. Because the candidates need to make statement, to express their program, to make the campaign, more or less. Yeah? And the community needs also to ask questions to those candidates.

So, we want to make the candidates and the community happy with the way of this communication, of this interaction. This means that we'll ask the community, means you and the candidates, to put out what are your questions for this interaction.

I can mention three of those ways of interactions. You can use the mailing list to ask questions to the candidates and for the candidates to answer your questions. You can use the Wiki page that you create so that the community asks questions on the Wiki and the candidates answer the questions on the same Wiki.

The third way, and I think we [INAUDIBLE] is to do a call where the candidates will make statements and then the community asks questions to the candidates and the candidates will answer these questions. So, those are three kinds of ways of communication, but we are open to any other kind of communication you may think about and that the candidates may think about.

The interaction will be—those interactions from the publication of the final slate until 21st of February, which is the initiation of the first round of votes. At that time, if we don't have any petition, we can start from 19—even from 19 of January if the slate has no additions.

The final slate is that slate, and you can initiate the interaction process. So, we have time, and we're making this time to make anyone happy to make the best interaction between the committee and the candidates. I stop here, and I am ready to answer any questions.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Tijani. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And I, while you were speaking, I've been going through the pages of the At-Large Board Member Selection work space. I've had the most atrocious time to find the name of the candidates and their Expression of Interest.

In fact, I don't know if there's any link from any of these pages. There's a lot of description of what the process is, the [INAUDIBLE], etcetera, and how to apply and all that. But I'm quite surprised to not have found an Expression of Interest today, where we are, in the At-Large Board Member selection home.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Olivier, yes. The final slate is not yet issued. And the day the BCEC issues the final slate, we will put the candidates up only. So, we have two, [INAUDIBLE] we may not have. So EURALO will be up when the final slate is being issued.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks, Tijani. But the fact though is how can people know who they can add if there's no mention of them anywhere?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Ah, this is—you know, Olivier, that the six names have been published, and why is this significant?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Where?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So, people know very well who are the four remaining people, the candidates who can be added on the slate.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. We haven't got very much time.

[CROSSTALK]

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, it's Olivier speaking. Thanks, Tijani. I'm just saying I think there should be some indication here. I think there's certainly some problem with communication when it comes down to having a clear list of candidates. For the feedback I have received so far is people are quite confused. Then let's go through the queue. Oksana Prykhodko is first, and then Julie Hammer. And we really have to move on because we've already taken a long time on this topic. Oksana, you have the floor.

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Thank you very much, Olivier. Oksana Prykhodko speaking. Thank you, Tijani, for his report on procedure. Problems during the board election at 2014. At EURALO, I would like to remind you, we had four problems. One problem was proxy.

Then proxy of what's [INAUDIBLE]. But then Jean-Jacques did not go through after the first round. It was declaration that if a proxy perhaps

would present for Jean-Jacques. I would like to discuss this issue just now before mentioning any future names. And the second point, of how perhaps ALAC members have to vote according to the decision of EURALO, or by their own laws. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Oksana. Who should respond to these questions? Tijani? Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, this a very big issue. Thank you very much, Oksana, for reminding me of something that's important, which is EURALO has an important position in their own ALAC. So, you need to appoint someone before the election. And if there is no one appointed before the election, you need to appoint a replacement for them.

This is the rule or procedure. And also, Oksana, the rule or procedure has been updated to solve the problem that we saw last time about Jean-Jacques, to come back and vote or not. Now it is clear. The candidates, each candidate will not vote can depend on the election.

It is clearly written in the rules or procedure. And the rule or procedure is clear now. We took all the problems and we made a change to the rule or procedure so that it should be clear and we will not come back to any confusion. Have I responded to all your questions, Oksana?

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Yes, you have. Thank you very much.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, next is Julie Hammer.

JULIE HAMMER: Julie speaking. Thanks, Olivier. Just a quick thing to answer your question. The six names of the applied candidates are actually on the Important Announcements page. It's the second point that links to that list on that page. So, I accept your criticism that it's not necessarily easy to find.

Also, the Expressions of Interest, only of the BCEC slate of candidates is made public, and as Tijani said, that is at the time that the BMSPC begins the engagement of the community. The undertaking for the applicants is that their Expressions of Interest won't be made public if they do not appear on the final slate. So, hopefully that answers your question. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Julie. That's helpful, and I've found the page, yeah. So, it doesn't have the Expressions of Interest, which does make it a little difficult for a RALO to evaluate whether they wish to add someone on there. But we are running out on time on this topic.

What I would suggest is that if anybody has any further questions for Tijani and for Julie, that they could please email staff, and staff will forward those questions to Tijani and Julie, and we can follow up after this call. So, thanks very much for taking the time to come visit us, Tijani and Julie.

And we—you said that the deadline is the 19th of January, so I would please ask everyone to follow up after this call if we wish to add someone to the current slate of candidates, to raise this on the mailing list as soon as possible. Because we do have to also speak to other Regional At-Large Organizations to be able to add a candidate forward.

So please, immediately after this call. Thank you. Let's go quickly then. The review of the upcoming—yeah, thanks. Review of the upcoming consultations. There are quite a few of them. In the interest of saving time, there are only three statements that are currently being drafted.

There is one about creating a consumer agenda at ICANN, and that's not a response to public comment, but it's been for a while. It's a statement that the ALAC could sort of make. So, if you're interested in consumer agenda, please have a look at that.

There are two statements at the moment, just at the end of their consultation. The first one is the identifying technology health indicators. Yrjö Länsipuro has picked up the pen on this. And I would, if Yrjö could say just a couple of words on this please? Is that possible for you to just say a few words?

YRJO LANSIPURO:

Yeah. Basically, the draft is on the Wiki page. Perhaps staff can put the link there? And there are a few comments from the community members already on the page. Basically, the—well, I think in the subsiding time, I don't go into the substance except to say that this was an interesting attempt to use sort of medical terminology, and even the Latin language, to describe the problems of the—the health problems of the DNS.

And of course, this approach, while it seems a thing, but it's also something that is in fact turning people off. And sort of basically, the recommendation is that this approach would be de-Latinized and turned to a more ordinary language because there are some good elements which should be said. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much for this quick summary, Yrjö. The other statement is on the proposed renewal of the .mobi sponsored registry agreement. And the At-Large Advisory Committee has a liaison with .mobi. That's [INAUDIBLE], and she is currently drafting a statement. .mobi, as in any registry agreement, regularly needs to renew their agreement, and there are a number—quite a sizable number of amendments that are proposed, and the community has to comment on this.

So, if you're interested in this topic, please have a look at the relevant Wiki page for this. In the—there are a couple of public comments, which the ALAC has decided—I'm looking at the one that not to submit statement is important. One which requires a decision is the proposed

charter amendments of the Generic Name-Supporting Organization, this constituency.

And [INAUDIBLE] and Maureen Hilyard are currently reviewing the public comments. So, they'll let us know whether we should comment on this. Often, Generic Name-Supporting Organization constituency, this is really their business, and what we might do is to support what they are proposing.

I guess if you see anything that's completely out of line and you wish the ALAC to raise it, then please let us know as soon as possible. The statement period—comment period closes on the 15th of February. There isn't really very much else, but there were four statements that were approved by the ALAC, if you're interested in those.

It's too late to comment on them now, but you can see the different points that were raised. I open the floor for comments or questions on any of these statements. I don't see anyone putting their hand up. Now we will be discussing this a little bit later briefly, but what we might do in the future is to actually look at any subject matter experts that we might have in our community to give us a bit of feedback on some of the statements, just like Yrjö did on the technology health indicators definition.

And that's for future calls. Let's go to agenda item number five. The planning of the ICANN58 Copenhagen EURALO meetings and the different activities. There is a Wiki page that has been created for this, and we've had some discussion by email with quite a number of ideas for the activities that will take place in Copenhagen.

First, on the outreach side of things, there is an ICANN information booth. We will make sure there will be brochures about EURALO, and it's also an opportunity to reach out to Northern countries, since Denmark is seen as Northern Europe and very accessible, easily accessible to Scandinavia and—the part of the world around there.

The Outreach and Engagement working group is working along with us on this. We also have Jean-Jacques Subrenat, the regional vice president for Europe, who I've had a call with a few days ago. And there are several things which they are organizing.

There could be a pre-meeting meeting for outreach in Copenhagen a certain amount of time before the ICANN meeting gets there. There is also the possibility of having not a showcase, but some kind of a European stakeholder's meeting, very much like what happened at the meeting in Dublin, where there was a debate that took place around the table, and then after the debate a cocktail with the community.

Certainly, promotional items are being prepared, brochures. As far as capacity-building is concerned, the first day of the meeting, day one as it's called, put in the agenda, is—has this outreach and capacity building here, or at least it's listed in the block schedule at the moment.

So, the idea is to take the whole first day to have capacity building in the morning and outreach in the afternoon. And the discussion that we have had with the NCUC, Non-Commercial Users Constituency, who do very good outreach at the Internet Governance Forum, at ICANN meetings.

We've had a discussion with them to have a joint outreach session in the afternoon, where we would have a roundtable, or a u-shaped table, inviting all the newcomers and people that we can target, and answering all of their questions.

Currently, the co-chairs of the Outreach and Engagement working group are working on this, to have a first draft of a proposal that we will then share with the Outreach and Engagement working group. If you're interested in this, get in touch with me or with staff after this call, and we will add you to the Outreach and Engagement working group list.

There is a possible thing that could be undertaken in Copenhagen, and that's the signature of a memorandum of understanding with RIPE. RIPE is the regional internet registry there, the people that distribute the IP addresses, the numbers of ICANN for Europe.

And the initial early discussions with RIPE make me feel that we could sign an MOU, a collaboration with them, very much along the lines of what was happened in NARALO, or in APRALO, where they have done some extensive work.

In fact, NARALO is having its general assembly at this year's ARAN meeting in North America. So, after a few years, you see the collaboration is improving. This is still under discussion, so it's not carved in stone that this will happen, but this could be one of the things that could happen.

And then of course, the global Multi-stakeholder band will be playing, not strictly a EURALO activity, but you know it's word of mouth. And so,

you've heard it here first. It will actually happen. And it's very likely to be on a Tuesday night.

So, that's the current thing. There is a discussion as to whether we could invite university students to come to the ICANN meeting or actually go to visit the students in Copenhagen at their university. The last time we were in Europe, that was in Helsinki, it was the wrong time to go to visit universities because we happened to be at midsummer, where everyone was on holiday.

On this occasion, it's not expected that there will be a holiday. So, we are studying this. I'm in touch with Jean-Jacques Subrenat, because certainly help from the host, the local host, would be very welcome. They would much more likely be able to identify the right places to go to, and also to help with the logistics.

That's the current state of affairs. Are there any questions or comments, or does anybody else wish to add anything? The queue is open. Goodness. Have I killed absolutely everyone on the call with my stuff? Bastiaan Goslings, you have the floor.

BASTIAAN GOSLINGS: Yeah, thanks Olivier. No, just I mentioned it in the chat, but with regard to the MOU. Essentially, we will be able to reach that with [INAUDIBLE]?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, correct.

[CROSSTALK]

BASTIAAN GOSLINGS: —few people there.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Currently in discussions with Chris Dockridge. I met with Chris quite a few times over the year, in the Internet Governance forum, etcetera. So, Chris is our project contact.

BASTIAAN GOSLINGS: Okay. It would be very valuable to let me know, and I can help. I talk with Chris very often, so if there's anything I can do, let me know.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you, Bastiaan. And of course, to remind you, Bastiaan is based in the Netherlands, and RIPE happens to be in the same town, I believe, or at least in Amsterdam. So... Okay, I don't see anybody else having put their hand up, so I think we can move to the next agenda item, and that's the EURALO extraordinary selection of ALAC member.

Oh, just one more thing before we do this. Yeah, sorry. Something important. A general assembly. Will there be a EURALO general assembly in Copenhagen? Yes, there will be. Will anyone be funded to go to the general assembly? No, there will not be because we did not submit a request for this.

We couldn't submit the request because we had—in previous years, we had already had the fundage, so we have to wait a certain number of

years until that happens. But Wolf and I will start building the agenda with Sylvia Vivanco and preparing the first draft of the agenda.

It's pretty straightforward because we will just review the year's activities, and primarily look at the progress of our task forces, and then have the election process that needs to be undertaken there. So, that's the overall plan for the time being, and I feel this time we'll have a GA.

And I think that the general length of the general assembly is two hours. I'll have to ask Wolf on this. Wolf Ludwig, how long is the general assembly, a standard general assembly? A couple of hours?

WOLF LUDWIG: Can you hear me now?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, we can hear you. Go ahead, Wolf.

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay. It's Wolf Ludwig, for the record. Usually 90 minutes, up to maximum 2 hours.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, fantastic. Thank you for this, Wolf. It's Olivier speaking. And so, that's a note to Gisella, who deals with the room booking, that we will need between 90 minutes to 2 hours. Excellent. Let's then move on. EURALO extraordinary selection of ALAC member.

Our current—previous ALAC member that was selected by the RALO, by EURALO, in December, I think it was December or November, at the AGM last year, was—has stood down due to personal reasons. And we rightfully need to select someone to replace her.

We—I think the process has just started for nominations. And there is a Wiki page, which has been created for this. The overall schedule is very tight. Why? Because we need to have a representative seated early enough so that for them to first get ready for the meeting in Copenhagen, but also for the travel arrangements, etcetera, to all be done, especially if there might be a need for a Visa and so on.

So, effectively, the process started on the 16th, yesterday, and it is—there's a nomination period for 10 days, until the 27th of January. And after that, between the 27th and the 2nd of February, the EURALO community, we will have an opportunity of a call with the candidates, with questions that we will be able to ask.

Of course, we can also ask questions on the mailing list, and I'm sure the candidates will be answering. And we'll probably build a sub-page with questions and answers. And then on the 3rd, from the 3rd to the 10th of February, the elections will take place, with a possible announcement of the winner on the 11th of February.

So, if there is no contest, in other words, if only one person steps forward, which sometimes happens, then the selection will take place a lot earlier. And at present, it's not, but it could be on the 28th of January, on the 28th of January if no elections are required. So, that we proposed

purpose. And I open the floor with Jean-Jacques Subrenat being the first person in the queue. Jean-Jacques, you have the floor.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you, Olivier. This is Jean-Jacques. Looking at the page on this subject, I see that there is no stipulation of nationalities which have to withhold, not stand as a candidate. Is this something which is not relevant, or has it just been took off from this space? Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much, Jean-Jacques. Oliver Crepin-Leblond speaking. I will have to check on this. Perhaps I would ask staff to let us know. Currently, our current ALAC members—oh, I see, Wolf has put his hand up. Maybe he would be able to let us know. Wolf? Wolf Ludwig?

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes, thanks, Olivier. It's Wolf Ludwig, for the record. The question of nationality was announced, I think this announcement, that the second member cannot be from the same country as an existing member. But that's the only restriction we have so far in regards of nationality, must be a different nationality for two RALO selected ALAC member representatives, that they cannot be from the same country. So, this is the only restriction. I don't know whether this is not the answer?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Wolf. It's Olivier speaking. Actually, it is written on the page, on the Wiki page. Point number three: notes on nomination. It is

actually in red. And Sylvia Vivanco has also kindly cut and pasted the note, which says “According to EURALO bylaws, article 11.5.10.”

Next in the queue? Oh, there’s nobody else in the queue. Any other questions? So, just a quick note on nominations. It is possible to self-nominate. It is also possible to nominate someone else.

And staff, to nominate someone, you have to send a note to the mailing list, to the EURALO discussed mailing list, and the—so then everyone is aware of this, and staff will then pick it up and put this onto the Wiki. Bastiaan Goslings, you’re next in the queue.

BASTIAAN GOSLINGS:

Thank you, Olivier. This is Bastiaan speaking. Thank you very much for that very eloquent summary of the procedural sides of this. Obviously, I did see the normal details earlier today. I actually confirmed my nomination for this, and I see that reflected on the Wiki page.

And basically, what started that was the message you sent and shared with us [INAUDIBLE] had to resign. And my people, at the time, I was also a candidate in the competition. That made it an interesting election, I think, [INAUDIBLE] candidate.

And now Veronica, obviously, she won. So yeah, that’s just emphasizing the fact that this is, to me, this is an accepted [INAUDIBLE] a couple of people. And that’s keeping in mind, that at the time as a newcomer, I did receive significant support as a candidate.

I sort of feel like a moral obligation to optimize this, and I do have the time, and I think I have a number of qualities to offer to the community.

And since then, I've shared, first of all, like an Expression of Interest, and today, another confirmation that I am available and would like to nominate myself for this position.

I'm looking forward to any questions on my part, through email as we don't have the time to do it here, or maybe a dedicated call. [INAUDIBLE] from. I personally have seen very positive feedback, [INAUDIBLE]. I might be an ideal candidate and offer balance in a region where there's no balance.

I think that's fair enough an argument, so there's not much I can change there. So, I'll leave that up to the people to decide who can be developed with the detail, and I just hope people can take my nomination at face value. And again, any questions people might have, either on email or on a dedicated call any time. Please let me know and I'll be happy to answer that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Bastiaan. And no doubt that there will be more interaction with the special purpose call that we will have if there's more than one candidate. So, great. Let's continue, please. I'm a little concerned about the time, so I'm sorry to be a little bit pushy.

But next, we have the EURALO board member replacement election. Here as well, we had a board member that I guess for the second time running, we had a board member that has left the board because they got another job, or even more work in the real life.

So, it's great for them, but it's not that great for us because we're losing another valuable board member, and we need to find a replacement as soon as possible. The preface is open. The call for nominations was sent on the 22nd of December. And I'm not even sure, do we have—yeah, the deadline was the 13th of January, 23:59 UTC.

And so, that was just a few days ago. So, I'm afraid I haven't looked at the list so far. I think we just have one person that has been nominated and that has accepted their nomination. That's Olawale Bakare. Am I correct? Yeah, Olawale Bakare, that's right.

I'm fine with the process. I don't quite know how—can't quite remember how the process works from hereon, which I might have to ask Wolf or staff quickly on this. So, I note that there is—usually when we just have one candidate, there is a consensus call on that one candidate.

What I would suggest then is that we issue a consensus call, a 24-hour consensus call on Olawale Bakare, and if there are no objections, then Olawale can be declared a winner. But before that, I see Jean-Jacques Subrenat has his hand up. So, Jean-Jacques, you have the floor.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you, Olivier. This is Jean-Jacques speaking. This is just to confirm that it is I who put forward the name of the candidate. He is a citizen of Nigeria and a resident of the United Kingdom. So, according to the bylaws of our association, the EURALO individual rules of association, he qualifies. He qualified to become a member of our RALO association and

he was promptly inducted as vice-chair. So, I support that nomination. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Jean-Jacques. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Excellent. So, let's have the consensus call, please. I'll assign that as an action item for me to send a consensus call the EURALO discuss mailing list for a 24-hour period.

And then we'll see in 24 hours, and I can hopefully send a note to Wale to welcome him. Let's move on. Next, we have number—where are we? Number eight. The EURALO bylaws task force. I'm going to be quite quick on this as well. As you know, this was an effort to first review the current EURALO bylaws, which have quite a few discrepancies between the reality of things and the bylaws themselves, or very long historical reasons for this.

Obviously, things have moved on. So, a refresh was required. The work started last year, at the beginning of last year, led by Mikhail Medrish, who was from Russia. He is one of the people that has left because of getting another great job somewhere.

So, unfortunately, we ended up with no real leader for this work, and we looked around for help, and I'm glad to announce that we now have help. So, there's a new number of people that are involved in looking at this.

The idea is that because going through every single line of the bylaws was a very time-consuming activity that didn't get us far enough in the

first six months of the work, we would put the bylaws aside and restart from scratch. In other words, draft a new set of bylaws looking at the different jurisdictions in Europe.

It looks as though the swift form of putting bylaws together is the most straightforward and the most flexible, which is what we need at EURALO. And as a result, a small task force now is—small subset of the task force is looking at producing a very quick first draft of the headlines of what should be in the bylaws.

We have the luck of [INAUDIBLE] from the University of Vienna, who has joined the task force and has enough time to hold the pen. And he has produced a first draft that he has sent to the bylaws task force to share with them. Along with him, we have the help of ICANN Legal, who can call upon their resources, and also Wolf Ludwig, who has been—who has drafted quite a few bylaws according to the Swiss rules.

So, I think that a first draft should be out pretty soon, and the working group will continue its work with an aim to finish as soon as possible. I'm not quite sure whether it would be possible to have a first—or to even agree to these new bylaws by the Copenhagen meeting, but we should really have it sooner rather than later.

The work has started, over a year ago now, and one year is I think enough for such an exercise. I open the floor for comments or questions. I see Jean-Jacques Subrenat has his hand up. So, Jean-Jacques, you have the floor. I'll also let Wolf speak on this if he wishes to add anything to what I've mentioned. So first, Jean-Jacques Subrenat.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you, Olivier. This is Jean-Jacques speaking. I'd like to bring up a question which could have some effect on the drafting of new bylaws. I don't know if you remember, as the chair of EURALO, you had asked for some comments on the possible improvements to EURALO.

And quite a few EURALO meetings ago, I had not only made the proposal but actually asked very specifically that to be looked upon by the leadership of EURALO, which is to assign specific tasks to current members of the EURALO board.

Because I see, I may be completely wrong, but I see that people like yourselves and Wolf [INAUDIBLE], and I would like to make sure that this is true, that all the other gigantic talents available on the board absolutely do not feel that [AUDIO CUTS OUT]

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: We seem to have lost Jean-Jacques.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: I think it will be [AUDIO CUTS OUT]

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Jean-Jacques, you are breaking up at the moment. Okay, so—

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: I will try again. Can you hear me now?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's okay. Most of what you said—

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Can you hear me now?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, we can hear you now. Go ahead.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Okay. Just to remind you that several meetings ago, I had suggested, in fact, demanded that specific assignments need to the current members of the EURALO board. I think that it will be only fair if you and Wolf, and others, go to solicit participation of all the board members for both better burden sharing, and therefore better results. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Jean-Jacques. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. There was a discussion on the task force about including such positions, and I think there are two documents which we will probably have. One is the bylaws themselves, which have to be pretty tight and as short as possible, whilst being as useful as possible.

And then there's also sort of rules and regulations, or rules of procedure, or procedural rules, that could be amended more evenly than bylaws. And I think that this is probably the right document to have

the specific positions. Wolf Ludwig has more knowledge of this, I guess.
Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes, thanks, Olivier. Can you hear me? I don't know if I'm still muted or not.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: You are not muted. That means we can hear you.

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay. So, it's Wolf Ludwig, for the record. I just would like to report and underline what you just have said. That's how we discussed it a month ago in the bylaws task force. I think we have to differentiate the two things. If we want to keep the bylaws as simple and minimal [INAUDIBLE].

As we had repeatedly discussed, almost I think I've found a constant on this point. Then we need for rules of procedures. And this would be very good in the other for a board working group or some people who concentrate afterwards on the rules of procedure, not have to deal with all those—those points we may include from the bylaws to keep them short and simple. So, this could be a good kind of work tradition.
Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Wolf. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And that, I think the last word we can have about the bylaws task force. If you are interested in this topic, please join the task force. There's a link, I believe, in the—is there a link in the chat?

There is no link in the chat, but staff will put a link to the home page of the task force, or you can link to it directly from the agenda. Next, we have the At-Large—the EURALO task force on At-Large Structure engagement, with Yrjö Länsipuro, who is leading that work.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah, thank you, Olivier. This is Yrjö Länsipuro speaking. The engagement of the ALSs is of course a challenge for EURALO and for many other RALOs as well. The task force has been focusing first on an issue that is actually mentioned in recommendation 28 of atlas 2, to match the current expertise and interests of the ALSs, and to identify subject matter experts.

This is—the reason is that one way, one important way to activate and increase the engagement of the ALSs is to get them to participate in the—what is it, work of EURALO and ALAC. So, what we did was that last year, individualized email messages were sent to every ALS and we asked about what kind of expertise they would offer.

And at the minimum of persistent work and multiple reminders, we had replies from most of them. A table was compiled to show what kind of expertise is available at each ALS, including by the way, the Individual Users Association.

We just had a meeting a couple of hours ago, where we reviewed this table and it was decided to go further, that is the table will be now sent to all the ALSs and to all the Individual Users Association for checking, for comments, and for more information, especially names of experts [INAUDIBLE] hot topics.

We have names from some ALSs, but not all so far. So, here we are also touching the implementation of a couple of other At-Large recommendations, 26 and 29. They call for improving At-Large policy management processes and setting up of an automated system for tracking topics of interest.

So, these are ideas that actually came up during today's call and we are trying to take them further. And at the call, Olivier was a member of the task force. He came up—came also to an excellent idea on how to link this effort to another important engagement issue, that is how to make this monthly EURALO call more interesting to more people and to make them more policy-oriented versus just process oriented by inviting experts from ALSs to speak, and I don't know if Olivier would like to continue from here. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Yrjö. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. There isn't really very much else to add. You've done very well. And yes, the idea, rather than having a call like we have today, where I think we've spent nearly an hour now talking process, which was quite unfortunate, we could actually have a 90-minute call for EURALO, and during those 90 minutes, we would have let's say 20 minutes that would be given to an expert

from one of our At-Large Structures being able to speak about a topic of interest to our community.

And we will ask them for volunteers at that point, volunteer experts, to just give us a little webinar on this. Other RALOs have done similar things. Some have asked for experts, ICANN staff, or some other parts of ICANN, to come and speak to us.

But I have found with time that in other RALOs, it has—more people have a chance on the call due to the actual interesting discussions taking place on the call, and not just a routine call with the same thing being discussed every time and too much process. Jean-Jacques Subrenat, you have the floor.

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT:

Thank you, Olivier. This is Jean-Jacques speaking. A word to [INAUDIBLE]. Last time we had a meeting, I indicated that the board of our association, the Individual Users Association, was hesitant about asking directly or providing directly the names and areas of expertise of our membership.

However, as you probably noticed these past few days, we have now asked your support staff to help us send out a new survey, much more professional, to our membership, which is underway now. It's going to be done in the next few days, probably this week.

And one of the questions I have reformulated, asking specifically our members to indicate whether they would be willing for us to provide to EURALO and ALAC their name, email address and area of expertise so

that they could be more directly included in the policy formation process. I hope that will help. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Jean-Jacques. Very helpful, indeed. It's Olivier speaking. Yrjö? Just a quick word and then we have to move on. Yrjö Lansipuro. And you might be—well you are unmuted. Go ahead.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah, thank you, Jean-Jacques. Merci beaucoup. This is wonderful news. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks Yrjö. Let's go to our next agenda item, and that's the Fiscal Year '18 additional budget request process. Heidi, you have three minutes. Heidi Ullrich.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'll take one minute. Just very quickly, for the Fiscal Year '18 additional budget requests have started. The deadline for RALO requests to be sent to staff was yesterday. We've received several, many, and two from EURALO, one for a workshop on the public interests at the IGF in Geneva in December and the other one for [INAUDIBLE], travel support to the [INAUDIBLE].

So, the next step will be the Finance & Budget sub-committee to review them next week with finance staff, and then we'll get back to anybody

who needs to revise their requests. And then FBSC will review them again towards the end of January with the final submission to the ICANN finance controller on the 30th of January. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Heidi. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And just to say, we had sent an announcement to the EURALO mailing list asking for suggestions. I even sent a review—reminder more recently, and I haven't heard anything from anyone, no feedback at all.

This is a process by which we can ask for funding on things that we want to do in our region, and I hope that we will use that opportunity better in future years. Let's move on.

And just to let you know, this is something that any At-Large Structure can come up with a—or member can come up with a suggestion of activity and then we can discuss it and propose it. So, if there is no discussion, then no proposal. We're not going to get the funding for it. Next, number 11, the—

JEAN-JACQUES SUBRENAT: Excuse me, Olivier. I think—excuse me, Olivier. Before you go to the next point, I think that Wale raised his hand if I'm not mistaken.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I'm not seeing him. Oh, he's just appeared now. Okay, just a little bit late. Wale Bakare, go ahead.

WALE BAKARE: [INAUDIBLE]

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I can't understand a thing. Wale, Wale, I'm really sorry. Your audio is very distorted, and I can't understand a word of it, and I don't think the scribe can either.

WALE BAKARE: [INAUDIBLE] Hello?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Hello, yes, we can hear you saying hello, but very distorted. I'm afraid we're running out of time on this. Wale, could you please send your comment by email to the EURALO mailing list and follow up on that? Because it could be a microphone problem or a connectivity problem.

Okay, let's then move on, and with apologies to Wale about this. The At-Large review, it's a process that has also started a while ago. A consulting fee has gone and interrogated and asked questions from many, many, many different people, has connected all of the information, has produced a first draft of proposals that were reviewed by the At-Large review working party.

And quite a number of very significant changes are proposed in there. And currently now, the feedback was given by the members of the

working party to the consultants. They are working on a new draft, which will then be put for public comment for everyone.

This is just an advance notice. I hope that we will be able to have quite a few of you take part in the feedback on the second draft. It's something that is very important, because the way that it works after this is that the final recommendations then get sent over to the board, I think it used to be called the Board Governance Committee, and they decide on what needs to be implemented and whether the ALAC should be completely turned upside-down, which is what I currently see as being some of the recommendations that are being made. So, that's what I can add about this. I'm not sure if staff wishes to add anything to this. Heidi perhaps? Or is Heidi not with us anymore?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, I'm here. And no, I have nothing else to add.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks. We are 13 minutes past the top of the hour. Let's go quickly through the last few items. First, the cross committee working group work stream 2 process update. It is noted that Erich Schweighofer and Christopher Wilkinson will be speaking to us about this. I gather—I'm not sure who will take the floor. Is it Christopher? Could you please summarize this in a couple of minutes if that's okay?

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Hi, good evening everybody. I think it's difficult, Olivier, to compact such a wide subject, and I know that Eric and perhaps Sébastien wish to

intervene. I would make three [INAUDIBLE]. The first is that I find that At-Large and civil society particularly are not really very well represented in the process.

Putting it another way, the balance of the composition of these working groups is not reflective of the ICANN community as a whole. I think that's a pity. Secondly, regarding jurisdiction, frankly, the working group has become rather contentious.

And my personal opinion is increasingly that on matters such as are so highly political, jurisdiction of ICANN, the multi-stakeholder process is reaching the limits of itself. Jurisdiction of ICANN has been decided by governments, and I think certain governments are not—and certain stakeholder pockets [INAUDIBLE], including myself, are not comfortable with the idea of the private sector creating a situation where US jurisdiction over ICANN would become an enshrined and permanent feature.

In short, multi-stakeholderism is reaching the limits of its powers on such a subject. The third part relates to SO and AC accountability. I think we can be more positive. Very good progress on reaching consensus on a number of points.

And certainly, I understand as far as being encouraged to join a little working group, a sub-group reviewing the replies that we have received from each of the SOs and ACs about their internal accountability procedures, which is an important feature.

However, in so far as associated with particularly EURALO and At-Large, I certainly find it difficult to do this job until the ALAC responds to the

questions on internal accountability has been received and discussed. Alan has been so good as to confirm that the ALAC response will come up very soon, but we haven't got it yet. So, in lieu of the time, I will say no more, and pass the floor to Erich and to Sébastien if they wish to add anything. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Christopher. Erich Schweighofer, next?

ERICH SCHWEIGHOFER: Erich Schweighofer speaking. No formal remarks to that. There will be a [INAUDIBLE]. So, to get some facts about [INAUDIBLE]. So, I believe it's great, the intentions as far as the working group, to get sufficiently balanced. That's why I am looking forward [INAUDIBLE]. And it needs more At-Large engagement as well. That's a great issue, and that was from [INAUDIBLE]. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Erich. And next is Sébastien Bachollet.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Hello, thank you very much, Olivier. I will not add anything. I think this discussion could be very useful, but we don't have time to take in that discussion. I think that we need to have this work done in the other working group that you are chairing, Olivier, about our ICANN future.

But I think that the question of the participation, it's an important one, because for all of the group, they are still working on the substance as well as on diversity, the one on jurisdiction and the other we already talked about. I think if we can have more participation from EURALO, it would be great. That's all. I can spend 10 minutes, but I don't think you have time for that. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Sébastien. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. And I have put a link in the chat to the ICANN Evolution working group. This is an ALAC working group. You can all take part in this. This is our primary way to bring input into the process through our representatives in all of the different subgroups.

So, if you're interested in a topic, please ask staff to add you to this working group, and we will restart calls. I believe we will have a call next week on this. And with this, we are so late already. I think we need to go to any other business.

And I was going to have a quick discussion on the format of the meetings, but we've already touched on that. You will notice we have captioning today, and we have a few questions about the captioning, whether it's been helpful. So, over to staff for the survey.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Olivier. This is Gisella speaking. Over to the captioning survey, which we'll just take a couple of [AUDIO CUTS OUT].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Gisella, you sound very far.

GISELLA GRUBER: [INAUDIBLE] in the right-hand column on Adobe Connect. Is that better?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, slightly better. You still sound a bit away, but okay, that's fine.

GISELLA GRUBER: There we go. I'm sure that it's better now.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And that's a lot better, yes.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you very much, Olivier. Apologies for the inconvenience. As you may have already seen the question, the question number one.

The captioning feature of the Adobe Connect room is part of a pilot. Please select one of the following: very helpful, helpful, less relevant, not helpful, or no vote.

And I see that quite a few people have already cast their votes. I will pass now onto question number two.

Please self-identify all categories that describes who you are: a person with disabilities, participant for whom English is a second language,

participant who doesn't speak English, participant who has limited or low bandwidth, all of the above, or none of the above.

Thank you for casting your votes now. And there again we see a very good participation. And in the interest of time, we will go on to our third question.

What benefits did you get from accessing the captioning screen? Choose as many answers as possible.

1. Greater understanding of the topics.
2. The ability to understand the session more effectively.
3. Provided the correct spelling of technical terminology.
4. Able to more fully participate and engage with the presenter.
5. All of the above.

And again, choose as many answers as possible. Thank you. I think that we have the majority of the votes there. We will go onto the next question.

What benefits did you get from accessing the captioning screen?

If you do have any other suggestions or answers you wish to share with us, please use this pod and I will give you a few seconds. Sorry, I can't give you more than a few seconds. We have one answer typing and scrolling back.

Turns in written form was better than the audio. Immediate scrolling back is good. Sometimes it is difficult to hear, so to read is good. We're having quite a few answers, additional answers coming through. Thank you very much, as this survey will be used and all your answers are extremely helpful. Eight answers.

Again, in the interest of time, we will move over to question number four.

Where else do you think captioning should be required? Working group, task forces, ad-hoc groups, RALO calls, ALAC calls, CCWG calls, other constituencies, all of the above, or no vote. Again, we have a fair amount of answers there. We will now go onto question number 4A. Again, we're—

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Just a point on this question. It would have probably been more helpful to be able to select the different things separately rather than having to choose one of them. At present, it seems to be only accepting one answer.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Note taken, Olivier. Thank you very much. In addition to that question, again, we have a free answer here, which is: where else do you think captioning should be required? So, if you do have any other suggestions, please do write them down here.

We're getting a few in. Wonderful. Four answers, five answers. I'll just give it a few more seconds. We'll now go onto the last question of the survey.

And that is any final comments. Question number five. I will now leave this pod open and back over to you, Olivier, as people can still write their answers there while we are on the call. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Gisella. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. I'm quite surprised we still have so many people on the call, but I would like to thank you all for lasting nearly an hour and a half, and especially our staff, who have very kindly accepted to remain beyond the end of the usual time for this.

And of course, also the scribe who has been providing this very helpful, I must admit, captioning. So, thank you to everyone. We will follow up by email everywhere. Apologies again for the length of the call. Maybe the next one will be 90 minutes, but unfortunately, we had no choice on this occasion.

And have a very good evening, and speak very soon, next month. And please, bring those—get ready for the voting that we have to do for the various positions that we have to select. So, if you do receive an email

about voting, don't get me or Wolf to have to chase you up independently. Please, not again. Thanks very much, and good night.

WOLF LUDWIG: Thanks, good night.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Thank you very much. Bye-bye.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you everyone. The meeting has been adjourned. The audio will now be disconnected. Thank you very much for joining, and enjoy the rest of your evening.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]