

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call taking place on Monday, 13<sup>th</sup> of February, 2017, at 20:00 UTC.

On the call today on our English channel we have Glenn McKnight, Judith Hellerstein, Alan Greenberg, León Sanchez, Gordon Chillcott, Javier Rua-Jovet, Susannah Gray, Eduardo Diaz, Alfredo Calderon, Leah Symekher, Allan Skuce, John Laprise, Lynden Price, Seth Reiss, Marita Moll, Evan Leibovitch, Louis Houle.

Currently I don't see anyone on the French channel.

We have received apologies from Joly MacFie and Dana Perry.

Judith, you would like to add something?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. I think Monique is here. I don't know if Monique is on the French or maybe she doesn't remember how to get on the French channel.

YESIM NAZLAR: Okay. Let's list Monique's name here as well.

Looking at the staff list, I have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano, and myself, Yesim Nazlar.

Our [current] interpreters today are Camila and Claire.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

Finally, if I could please remind everyone to state their names before speaking not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpretation purposes as well.

Over to you, Judith or Glenn. Thank you very much.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Hi. Thanks so much. Glenn is coming in from Iceland so I'll be chairing the call. Hope the audio is fine.

The current on the call first we'll go through the action items and I don't know if Silvia or Yesim or Heidi can read those because Silvia has electricity problems.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Judith. So far I still have power so I can go through the action items. However, I see that Alan Greenberg has his hand raised.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I just wanted to raise my hand with regard to the agenda. There's two links in the agenda for the election. One of them, it says it points to the final slate but it seems to be pointing to the workplace. And the second one, there's a pointer on León's name not mine. And that one points to a page that I'm not allowed to look at. I'm not quite sure what's going on there but perhaps we can put the correct links in the chat.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No. Alan, what happened was – to tell you about that – the link on the page goes to your page and you had to click the tab to go to León’s page. So I put the tab in for León’s page on the agenda but I thought that would be working. But I didn’t know it’s [locked]. It works for me. Maybe it doesn’t work for you only so you can’t see it.

ALAN GREENBERG: I get it says, “You do not have permission to view this page.” So something is wrong. It’s something [Inaudible]. Make sure that our links work.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Thank you, Alan, for bringing that up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Hopefully staff can put the right links in the chat.

[SILVIA VIVANCO]: Thank you for pointing that out.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Silvia, you want to finish the action items?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. I will go through the action items first from the January call. “Members will provide contact information for the [inaudible] a Certificate of Acknowledgement,” and I believe that was completed.

---

[inaudible] actually sent an e-mail to NARALO Leadership with the contact information. I believe that's [the main], a Certificate of Acknowledgement with reference to [inaudible]. Can you confirm – Glenn or Judith – that was complete?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great. I also want to make sure that Tom's name is listed since it wasn't listed earlier.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. So I understand that was completed. I will go to the next one. "Heidi Ullrich to follow up on whether the key Tribal Ambassadors will be considered alumni to be eligible to apply for the next Fellowship round." And Heidi confirmed that they would be considered for the next Fellowship round. So that's completed.

"Silvia to coordinate a call with Heidi Ullrich to explain the Fiscal Year 2018 Special Budget Request requirements for NARALO members who wish to submit a proposal," and that was completed. Heidi had a special [inaudible] call to explain those requirements.

"Silvia Vivanco to coordinate a call with Chris Mondini and Joe Catapano to explain the [inaudible] review for North America for NARALO membership." Today we have linked [inaudible] on the agenda so they will be addressing the North America strategy today.

That's all. Over to you, Judith.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much for all that. Now I'll go through the next item. Good, they're adding names. And also remember to add Tom's name because his name was not on the list. Thanks so much.

Our next item on the agenda is the community announcements. Do we have any community announcements? Alan, is that an old hand or a new hand? Thank you. And Tom, you had an announcement. So Tom.

Tom, you had your hand up? Okay, Leah then. We can't get Tom. Leah.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes, hello. Can you hear me?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Okay, great. I just wanted to announce that the San Francisco Bay ISOC Chapter had its elections the week before last and we have a new Chair, Susannah Gray. She's actually on the call right now. After three years I've stepped aside as noted in my announcement to the community, and I will stay on as a NARALO primary contact and Eve Edelson as well for the Chapter. But Susannah will be joining the call as often as she can. So welcome her to our NARALO meeting. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great. Thanks so much. I don't know if the links were posted in the chat. It seems that between the time that we put the agenda together and

---

that, the wiki was changed. That's why that wiki is now broken. It was working earlier.

Eduardo, you have your hand up.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes. I just wanted to say that tomorrow we have an event here by our ALS. We're going to have Nancy Quiros from ISOC and [Claudio de la Patra] from ICANN to talk both about their respective organizations. These are part of the events that we have planned for [inaudible] that we're preparing the community here [inaudible] in preparation for the ICANN meeting next year. So we're starting tomorrow doing that and we will be doing that for the rest of the year. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Great. Thanks so much. Any other community announcements before we move on to the next part?

GARTH BRUEN:

I'm only on the phone. My Adobe keeps crashing, but I'd like to have a minute.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Sure. Garth, go ahead.

---

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. We've been working on an investigation that's been going on for about six months. Maybe a little bit longer. It specifically concerns ICANN contracted providers specifically in the U.S. who are turning a blind eye to narcotics traffic. This is going to be a very detailed report. It's going to be published on Wednesday, and I will make sure that everybody here gets a copy of it and after the meeting if anybody has any questions about it, they can certainly contact me. It'll be interesting. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much for that update.

Now we are finished with the community announcements. We have [been] slated to have the Meet the Candidates, but right before that, can we do the General Assembly before we do the Meet the Candidates? I want to go through some of these because in case Silvia drops, I would like to get this done first. That's why I'm switching around the order a little bit.

If we can do that first. We're going to put up... Glenn, do you want me to speak to it or can you or I can go over what you had to say. I think Glenn is going to try to speak.

If he can't speak, I can speak to it. We wanted to make sure that everyone has gotten their confirmation. If you haven't gotten your confirmations, please do let us know. We also wanted to highlight that on the 22<sup>nd</sup> we'll have the second "Get to Know ARIN" webinar. For those who came on February, it was a very interesting discussion. On

---

the link in the agenda to the February 6<sup>th</sup> call there is a copy of the slides so you can review them.

On logistics, Glenn has been working really hard on that. We have [compiled] a good chunk of the logistics already done but you can click on that link in the agenda to see that page, and I'm running up the program. I sent you e-mails to if you're heading up a session. If you haven't sent in your little short descriptions, please do so and post them on the wiki so that once we're done we can send them out to the people and to see about their interests. These topics were originally suggested because of our survey and they were the most hotly requested topics, and I could run through them quickly.

The topics our community had to come up with was we would start with first an overview of the policy and why it's important. Then we would discuss the open NARALO Outreach Plan and the need for a Strategic Plan for North America. This is on Wednesday, the [inaudible] day. We would then have a discussion with Göran Marby. And then we will break out into our breakout sessions and the topics that were decided for those are "IANA and the Future Evolution," "Accountability and Transparency," "ICANN and the Public Interest," and "Internet Governance," as well as later on a discussion of [ccTLDs].

I know I spoke to Evan. He's going to be writing little sections about what that section he's going to be chairing is about. Alan, you're going to write something on the Accountability. And Javier and Louis, you were going to work with Heidi on the "IANA Future Evolutions." Hopefully you guys can do that and post up your short blurbs on the



---

Program page. That hopefully was clear. If they have any questions, please let us know. We'll be happy to work with you.

We will also be having sessions before the ARIN meeting starts – an early morning session of ice breakers and getting to know ARIN, and it's all pretty much in the logistics. We will hopefully have John Curran talking, introducing us on Tuesday. That's pretty much that agenda.

Glenn says, "Susie has confirmed the hotel booking," so that's great. We have now finished that section and I'm going to start the "Get to Know" session. We will do the "Get to Know the Board Candidates" now. That section that will run this way so there's a couple people who... Silvia, do you want to explain how we should start this or do you want me to?

Okay. We asked both candidates – I will explain it – to give a little short five-minute [timer] sessions on introduction about what they hope to bring to At-Large as a Board member. I think the coin toss was won by León and he's going to go first.

León, set the timer please and take it away for your introduction.

LEÓN SANCHEZ:

Thank you very much, Judith. Thank you very much, everyone, for giving me the opportunity to speak to you. I rather have more questions and answers and interactive sessions than speaking about myself alone, but I can tell you that many of you already know me. I have been around for the last four years, I think. I've done also a lot of work for the community as you might know. I was the co-Chair for the CCWG on Accountability. If elected, I can bring to the Board a fresh, independent

approach, regional diversity, my ability to build bridges and alliances, my ability to negotiate, a community-based perspective, and solidly grounded in just experience. I am also a solid, expert, lawyer in Governance issues and have the capacity to make informed, difficult decisions about ICANN.

I think that this is, of course, of the essence. In the times we're living in ICANN we've gone through a transition and I think that legal capacities are of the essence for what's coming up for ICANN and the decisions that must be made ahead.

I would also bring my leadership skills which have been demonstrated as I said, through my work as co-Chair of the CCWG on Enhancing ICANN's Accountability. So you can get to know me a little bit more on a personal side, I am married. I have three children. I live nearby Mexico City. I am also an [inaudible] attorney and I have worked on Internet-related issues from 20 years now, I think. I might be relatively new coming to ICANN, but I'm not new on the Internet Governance ecosystem so I do have a lot of experience in Internet Governance and I also have a lot of experience in corporate governance. I am member of several [Boards] and I have recent and current Board experience and I'm also someone that has demonstrated to be a team player. I am not a one-man orchestra. On the contrary, I usually ask for advice, opinions, views from other people around me and, as I said, I like to be a team player and not someone that just goes away and stays away once he gets seated into whatever seat he's got.

Of course, my commitment if I get elected would be to remain close to our community, of course, exercising the fiduciary duties that I need to

---

---

exercise as per the Bylaws. But I would definitely keep close to our community and I would definitely stick around.

I guess that would be all on my side at this point. As I said, I rather have an interactive session than just a monologue from my side. Thank you very much for listening to me. I am open to questions and answers. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much for your time. Can we set the timer please? We will have Alan Greenberg give a short introduction of his [time] and so Alan, over to you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. I also will try to be pretty short. I think most people in NARALO know me. I've got 40 years' experience building networks and helping to build networks around the world and certainly in Canada and North America and I have a vast volunteer background in a number of different areas. I've been working with At-Large for 10 years now. I've either drafted, edited, or been involved in many of the statements At-Large has submitted and I've worked for eight years with the GNSO so I'm very, very, familiar with the gTLD issues which form the bulk of the statements that ALAC and At-Large ever submit.

That's important because the Director can't formally represent the group so you're picking someone who you trust will so well understand At-Large that he or she doesn't have to represent you. It's just part of the nature and it's part of the belief system.

---

My experience with the GNSO is particularly useful in this point in time. For the last nine years Bruce Tonkin, the Board member from the GNSO, has been the person on the Board that the Board went to for gTLD information. He's no longer there and there isn't really anyone on the Board that has that kind of background. So if I were there, I'd be essentially one of the prime sources of gTLD information and, of course, from an At-Large perspective. I think that puts us in a very strong position.

I'm retired. I have no competition for my time from my day job or requirement to earn a living. As has been pointed out by a few people, I'm not young but I'm in good health. I have plenty of energy as is indicated by the 60-odd hours a week or so that I typically put into At-Large right now.

León is an intelligent person and I have great respect for him. He's a friend. But that's not a replacement for knowledge and experience. He's served ICANN well in his capacity as CCWG co-Chair, but that also has implied that he's spent very little time in the last four years in At-Large and working on At-Large issues. I think right now we need someone on the Board who understands At-Large with no questions at all. Thank you.

Sorry if I shocked you by being so short.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much. Yeah, you've got three minutes left. We should try to do this when we're at our face-to-face because we're always running over then. But we'll have extra time now at the end for questions.

ALAN GREENBERG: Are there any questions that are already asked?

GARTH BRUEN: I just raised my hand but I'll wait for the Chair.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we've lost our Chair for... the meeting Chair, in any case.

GARTH BRUEN: Judith, are you there? Okay. Here's my question. This is for both of the candidates. How will you be accountable first to the At-Large community and then also to the greater Internet community of users who may not even be aware of ICANN or At-Large? Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: León, do you want me to go first since you started the other thing?

Alright. How am I responsible to At-Large? A couple of different ways. First of all, with the new Accountability you can remove me if you don't like me. So that's always an out, albeit a drastic one. You may have noticed if you've been participating in the last number of years when Rinalia was Director and I was Chair that she's been interacting increasingly with At-Large and with the ALAC, and that's not accidental. That's something that I pushed for very hard, to make sure that the Director does not go off and do – in Rinalia's case – "her" own thing but does stay in touch, and increasingly I think you'll notice that she has

---

---

been asking questions and providing input into our processes. That's certainly a style that I would follow. The only way I think you're accountable is by staying connected and listening.

In terms of the larger community, that's indirectly through the At-Large people who are participating. There's no way to interact with people who don't know you exist, and I'm not sure it's the Director's responsibility to make that contact but certainly the Director needs to be responsive and is available to the larger community, whatever that community is, as dictated by ALAC and the RALOs. Thank you.

LEÓN SANCHEZ:

Thank you, Garth, for your question. Alan has pretty much stated a lot of what I was going to say. With the new ICANN governance structure, you have now, a method to remove the Board member that you appoint – and by “you” I mean the At-Large community – and if that would happen, of course, that would be one way to be held accountable to the community. But also we have the mechanism in which the whole community can actually remove the complete Board. So if that didn't happen because the At-Large community requested that I or whomever gets elected be removed, then the larger community could also initiate a process but that would be to be a Board-wide process that they could not remove the At-Large designated member from the GNSO, let's say, but they could begin a wider process to remove the whole Board.

I think that's one thing that would be a very strong accountable measure and, of course as I said, if elected I would be one Board member that would be very close to the community that designated

---

him and as following Rinalia's steps I would be very participative of the discussions and I would also come back to the community for guidance and for views that would better inform my decisions.

As Alan just commented, it is important to state that when you get to the Board, you need to take your decisions or to make your decisions in the best interests of the organization. But since I have been a person that has advocated for users' rights long before I came to ICANN, I think that I do have that perspective very clear in mind and all my decisions would be guided by these instincts that I already have to protect and to reflect users' interests in all decisions I would make.

I think that this would be a way that if I didn't perform as expected, you could hold me accountable 100%. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much, León. My question then, it goes to Javier – you had mentioned you had a question before and you didn't get a chance to ask it. So Javier, it's over to you for your question.

JAVIER RUA-JOVET: Can you hear me?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Yes, we can.

---

JAVIER RUA-JOVET: For both candidates, what will you do as Board member if the rumors of a venue change regarding the Puerto Rico meeting start to get some reality? What will you do to keep the meeting in Puerto Rico? That's it.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Do you want me to go first, Alan since you took first the other one?

ALAN GREENBERG: Sure.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Okay. Javier, I believe that the meeting is set for Puerto Rico. It's not set in stone, of course, and anything can happen. But as a Board member, I think that both Alan and I if elected – whomever gets elected – would have very little say at that stage because our term would begin by the end of this year and it would be the next meeting that would be taking place in Puerto Rico. If I did have a chance to say anything, I would definitely oppose moving the meeting from Puerto Rico because I believe that we are harming the whole region if we continue to move the meetings from the pre-established locations that we have followed for years.

I would definitely oppose to moving the meeting from Puerto Rico, but as I said, I think that the timing for whomever is seated at that point would not help too much to that end. So yes, my answer is that I would definitely oppose moving the meeting from Puerto Rico. Thank you.



ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Leon. Leon is right. If this Director will take his seat I guess in late November of this year or early November of this year, if a meeting in March were to be moved at that short notice, given that it was a meeting that was already moved once and reinstated, I can only imagine it would be for cataclysmic reasons like the island doesn't exist anymore or something like that. I just don't think that's a reality.

That being said, if we're ever confronted with a movement, I think we would have to look at the issues but I don't think it's going to happen, and surely if – I can't even imagine the situation that would cause it that we would have to fight against – so I think Leon and I are probably on the same page on this one.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much for that question. I guess I think Evan had the next question, and your question number one and because we have some other questions afterwards, Evan. So if we have time we'll go over your question number two. But first your question number one.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. Thanks a lot and thanks for having this call and hello to both Alan and Leon and thanks for coming. This is more of a global question than a North American specific one, although it does have local ramifications. The political environment in which we live is very different from what it was just a few years ago. Newly elected governments and new governments in many countries of the world are focusing inward rather

---

---

than outward. Many of them [are] learned how to disconnect the Internet as a way to stifle economic and political activity. How, in the opinion of both of you, is this going to affect ICANN going forward? Is ICANN able to deal with this new world that self-focuses on multilateral rather than multistakeholder and what are the ramifications from an end user perspective? If ICANN is not adequately prepared, what contribution can you make to help? Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I guess Leon went first. I'll try this one. I don't know if we're prepared and I'm not quite even sure what the new world is that we're looking at. You said "multilateral" instead of "multistakeholder." I see a world where we're not even looking at multilateral. We're looking at unilateral – everyone for himself. Exactly how that's going to unfold, I don't have a good enough crystal ball.

I think there is general agreement that the Internet is really important to the world going forward regardless of how countries are viewing their own position in relation to other countries and I think from that point of view, I think we're in a moderately good position right now that we are not being run by a multilateral government organization and I don't think I have a more specific answer than that, other than of all the worlds we could be in, this may be one of the better ones where we are outside of government control and hopefully will continue to exert just a little bit of rationality in making sure the Internet continues to be a stable platform on which we can run our world essentially. Thank you.

---

LEON SANCHEZ:

Thank you, Evan, for your question. My thinking on this question is that you are right. The political environment is quite different than it used to be a few years ago and we continue to see efforts to have governments regulate the Internet and leave whatever decisions need to be made in regard to Internet Governance to either multilateral organizations or, as Alan said, in a [inaudible] unilateral way.

I think that ICANN is halfway prepared to face a challenge like this one. Let me explain why I think this. I think that ICANN has done a lot of work politically speaking to engage with the different governments and with different players in the Internet Governance ecosystem but I also think that sometimes – and as it has been criticized – maybe some of these actions would deviate ICANN from its mission. But why I think we are halfway there is because we have the RALOs and I think that the RALOs would play an essential role in actually keeping this trend from affecting ICANN. I say this because I think that at the RALO level all the people in our community are able to engage with their local governments and they are able to take these issues at heart and, of course, play an active role in influencing their local governments in whatever decisions they want to take that could harm not only ICANN but the wider Internet ecosystem.

So I do think that there is a point that this trend may affect ICANN. I think that we are halfway prepared to that but I do think that we need to engage more with our RALOs and empower them and help them to engage with their local governments to take these issues on their own hands and, of course, replicate them at a global level so we can all help, as they say, think local but act global. I think that that is something that we should definitely need to do to face this challenge. Thank you.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you so much, Leon, for those answers. Leah was next in the questions queue. And I'm asking Garth, is that an old hand or a new hand?

GARTH BRUEN: Old hand. I'll take it down.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. So Leah, you're next.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Sure. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, we can.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Okay, great. Sorry. Essentially, I believe there was a lot of discussions regarding a report that was issued relating kind of introducing a new version of ICANN At-Large Review regarding the role in the future ISOC Chapters which is, of course, part of the At-Large Structures. How do you both view this report? How do they see themselves handling this report on behalf of the ALSes? Thank you.

---

LEON SANCHEZ:

I guess it's my turn to go first. Thank you, Leah, for your question. I think that the At-Large Review report has [a series] of situations that might be misrepresented or misinterpreted. I think that the ISOC Chapters' role within At-Large is one of them, and we are in the process at a level of a working party within At-Large to make the comments to this review. But it is important to say that the reviewers will do their recommendations regardless of whatever we have to comment on the review.

I guess that what we're trying to do right now is to address each of the issues that we have detected that have problems. We are doing a building proposals as alternate ways forward that we see as positive. And, of course, it is up to the reviewers to actually take our comments into account or not, but I think that we are working in a coordinated way across regions to address this issue.

I guess, as you said, the comments on the ISOC Chapters' role within At-Large in my view are misrepresented. I think that there is a different point of view that we will, of course, reflect in the comments that we will be sending to the reviewers. But at this stage, I am not sure how much can we influence the final output of the review. The review will go to the Board at some point, of course, and the Board will need to decide whether they implement the recommendations or how they implement the recommendations from the reviewers. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

A number of different comments. I was very, very, disappointed with the review – with the initial document and the second document – in that I expected a lot more from these reviewers. Their methodology is

very flawed in a number of areas. They jump to conclusions which I don't think there's a rational path from the analysis – which is not bad – to the conclusions and the recommendations, and we are certainly going to say so in clear terms and if they don't change it, we'll say so to the Board in the next step.

I'm not particularly worried at this point, but we'll have to see how it unfolds. There are certainly, I believe, some major errors in it. One of the areas that they didn't quite get wrong but they didn't quite get right either is indeed related to ISOC Chapters. We have a very large percentage of ALSes which are ISOC Chapters. Within ICANN we often worry about capture, that is, any part of the ICANN organization being taken over by some other entity whether it's registries in the GNSO or certain groups of governments in the GAC, or things like that.

Given that we have a pretty large percentage of ALSes which are ISOC Chapters, that is indeed a threat. But it's an interesting one. If there was any indication that ISOC Chapters were being controlled by ISOC Central and being told how they must cast the votes and what they must do, that would be a real threat. If all ISOC Chapters worked together in unison so that, again, they acted as a single body, then also that could be a threat. But the reality is, that doesn't happen. And as long as there's no indication of it happening, then ISOC Chapters are marvelous entities to the ALSes because they start off as being groups that are interested in the Internet and interested in Internet Governance and are potentially very great contributors within our overall environment.

So I don't see a problem at all. The fact they've identified it as a possible problem, I think is valid. I don't think they followed through with the

---

---

conclusion, however, that there's no evidence at all that we're anywhere near a position where we should worry about it and in fact we should be grateful that we have these ALSes that are interested in the Internet ecosystem. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much, Alan, for your [inaudible] call. I had another question. I'll ask my question now. Question that goes is both of you are very much heavily engaged within At-Large. Alan, you're Chair of the ALAC and Leon, you still chair Work Stream 2. And I'm wondering if one of you gets it, what would be your transition plan? How will you figure out how to move on your responsibilities to someone else, and for At-Large, how will that impact us? Because that's also what I'd be interested in knowing.

ALAN GREENBERG: León, do you want to try that one?

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Given that I have more of the responsibility for At-Large, I'll take a first pass. Whichever you prefer.

---

LEÓN SANCHEZ: I don't recall whether you were first on the last question or whether I was last. I think I was first, so why don't you go first on this one?

ALAN GREENBERG: You were first. Alright.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Yes, you go first.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll answer a couple of answers, and some of them will be slightly cryptic. León and I have talked about it. What happens if either of us wins? And I think we've had a very candid conversation of what it implies specifically to ALAC and At-Large if I win or if he wins.

Because I think there's a significant impact either way, that we are two of the more dominant people in ALAC right now, and certainly on the Leadership Team, and there will be an impact. The norm is that Board Directors are – the new Directors are asked to start participating in Board activities, which is a time-consuming issue. They don't have to step down from their existing roles, but they are expected to start participating, and that's a time issue. I think regardless of who wins, there will be an impact, and we – I think both of us together – will do our damndest to make sure that the impact is lessened. More than that, I'm not sure I really want to go into details. León?



---

LEÓN SANCHEZ:

Thank you, Alan. Yes, I just want to echo what Alan said. We've spoken about this, and we are aware that if any of us is seated in the Board that this will have an impact in the ALAC and maybe other working groups, but we are trying to find ways to actually minimize this impact.

So, in the case of me leaving the chairing of the CCWG, well, of course the At-Large community and the ALAC will need to name a replacement for myself. But I think that we have very capable people who have been following the discussions since the very beginning, and I don't think that that would be a problem if I needed to leave my designation to be seated in the Board.

Yes, pretty much Alan just said what we have just spoken about a couple of weeks ago, and I think that we will come up with a plan to minimize any impact that our seating in the Board might have to the At-Large community. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much to both of you for your answers. Evan, I don't think we're going to have a chance – we won't have time for your second question, but I really encourage you to bring it tomorrow to the ALAC questions, because I'm sorry, we ran out of time on this because we have some other items on the agenda to discuss. So, sorry about that.

León, thank you so much for coming on our call and for [giving] this – and I know others will be looking forward to talking to you further on those. And I don't know if any of you want any closing statements or you're fine with what you are, but if you want a minute or two to do closing statements, we can do that.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Judith.

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead, León.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: No, you go first.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I don't have a closing statement. I've made my position clear. There are 16 questions that people have asked, some of them from NARALO that will be posted shortly. There'll be a call tomorrow, plenty of opportunity. I think everyone knows my e-mail address, my Skype address is well known, alangreenberg-mtl for Montreal, and I'll give you my phone number if you want to talk.

So, I'm glad to interact with anyone and be glad to convince you that I'm the best person for the job. Thank you.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Thank you very much Judith, Glenn, Alan, everyone for having me here, for giving the opportunity to speak to you. Just as a closing statement, I am also the master of my time, so I don't have any problems to dedicate as much time as I need to to fulfill the job in the Board.

---

And I obviously ask for your support. I would be most grateful if you voted for me, but feel free to contact me or to make any questions. You also have my e-mail. I will be happy to provide my Skype handle name in the chat. I will also provide you with my personal mobile phone, so if you want to be in touch with me, you'll always have an open channel to speak with me. Thank you very much again, and let the best man win. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Great, thanks so much to both of you. On the 15<sup>th</sup> of February, we will have – Ariel will be sending out a big [inaudible] vote and then we ask people, we want to solicit your opinion. Your opinion is very important to us, and so the question on the big [inaudible] vote is who do you think the Chair should direct its votes to? Should we direct our votes to León Sanchez, or should we direct our vote to Alan Greenberg? So, when Ariel sends out the vote, if we can do it as quickly as possible... Heidi, how long do they have to get the answers back?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi Judith, I'm going to get back to you in the chat as soon as I can with that answer.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Great, because I know people's times are very busy, so we want to know how much of a priority they need to make it so that they can make sure that their wishes get adhered to. Okay, well, we'll wait for that from Heidi.

---

On the next item in the agenda, we have the communications. Too bad Silvia dropped off, but we're working on the new mail card and the new brochure, and I think they are posted on the main page so that you can view them. If someone could post that in the chat.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, you're back.

SILVIA VIVANCO: [inaudible] Yes, I am on the bridge, so I am only without the AC connect.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great.

SILVIA VIVANCO: So yes, you can show... There are some links to the agenda so you have the mail card and the brochure, and they are finalized by the Communications department, by Glenn. He did a very good design with the mail card.

So, please take a look, let us know as soon as possible, if possible this week or next week maximum, and they will be printed and they need to be distributed in the General Assembly. So they are ready [to]

---

promotional materials posted there on the wiki page. Thank you very much, Judith. I will see you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much. Thanks, Heidi, for the note. The deadline is February 26<sup>th</sup>, but they probably need to get back to us a day earlier so that we can get the vote in. Oh, I see, so the vote is the next day. So you have ten days. Once the vote comes out on the 15<sup>th</sup>, you have ten days to respond, because we'll close on February 26<sup>th</sup> at 23:59 UTC.

Okay, so the next item on our agenda then [inaudible]. Eduardo, do you want to give a little talk about the newsletter? Eduardo is still on mute.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I'm here. I was on mute. Nothing, I don't [inaudible] anything to a newsletter, except that keep sending your info and I will be glad to send it around at the end of the month. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay. Thanks so much, Eduardo. Now, I guess we will go to John who also had a – John More apologizes because he's not on the call, but he says that the draft of the Rules of Procedures are being worked on by the committee and they'll all be circulated for wide participation and input for the end of March. So, that will be plenty of time to allow for participation at New Orleans.

---

Okay, thanks for that, from John. Now we're going to turn to Chris Mondini or Joe Catapano for their little talk on the North American GSE strategy. Which one of you?

CHRIS MONDINI: Hi, it's Chris and Joe, we're delighted to be here and we're grateful for the time on your agenda. I'm just curious to know, do you happen to have the slide deck of the North America Engagement plan?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi Chris, for some reason we're having a technical issue and we'll get them up as soon as possible.

CHRIS MONDINI: Okay, well, recognizing that we have limited time, I could just give an oral briefing until the slides are up on the screen. I think we're known to all of you. Joe Catapano is the Program Manager for Stakeholder Engagement in the North America region, and for about three years now, I've had the title of Regional Vice President for North America in the Global Stakeholder Engagement team.

This team itself is really only since 2013. We have 30 team members in about 21 countries, and Global Stakeholder Engagement was really put in place to help engage and inform any stakeholders who are affected by or who can affect ICANN policies and really encourage them to be more active, as we do as volunteers, which I know is very near and dear to your mission.

But at a minimum, we try to generate some goodwill and open some lines of communication, doing it in a way that seeks balance across different stakeholder groups. So, whether it's users or civil society or government, business, the technical community – and I know, again, there are many different categories of user within At-Large, so I know that you have a similar diversity with At-Large as well.

But we went from – much of the purpose behind building the Global Stakeholder Engagement team was that outside of North America, ICANN was really poorly known and poorly understood. That's why, of these 30 team members, some of them are in places like Brazil or China and Russia or India, and this was part of a push to globalize ICANN, opening hubs and regional engagement offices.

And then also, as the New gTLD Program has taken off, the domain name industry has been growing in different regions, so even registries and registrars who are stakeholders, they fall within our purview as well.

Looking at it globally, North America already has a pretty large group of well informed and active stakeholders, and the registries and registrars in North America know their way around ICANN, and also unlike every other region in ICANN, 100% of the governments in the region support the multistakeholder approach. So, North America's needs are very distinct from some of the other regions.

Our top-level goals are really ones that would match any region. We want to grow and diversify the stakeholder base – which is I know on your aims as well – and grow the base of the current and potential

---

---

stakeholders, and really try to bring them from being aware to being very active in participating in ICANN.

I want to address, in other regions there are stakeholder-led engagement strategies, but as they said, this is largely because they were in regions where they felt there was underrepresentation in the ICANN community. Africa, Latin America and the Middle East had situations where their diverse stakeholder groups got together and ICANN supported them to make a sort of stakeholder demand-led engagement, and they did that across all the different stakeholder categories.

People have been asking me, “Does North America have an engagement strategy?” We do have one and we renew it every April. So this is a very good time to be having this conversation. Am I advancing slides?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, of course you’re now a presenter.

CHRIS MONDINI: Terrific, thank you very much. Even though North America is well represented in ICANN, one of the things we observed was that different stakeholder categories don’t see as much of each other in the region and sometimes would wait until they fly halfway around the world to address each other in the various policy debates.

That’s different from regions where like everyone goes to APRICOT or APNIC meetings in Asia Pacific, or everyone seems to be convened by RIPE NCC or other pan-regional events. Apart from the IGF’s and CIRA’s



---

annual event, there aren't so many opportunities for the stakeholders in North America to spend time with each other. But the IANA Stewardship and ICANN Accountability really actually did forge some good bonds, so the first objective under the high-level goals to encourage greater cross-stakeholder dialog within the region actually – I think that's improved on that through no fault of our own.

I think we do try to get outside of the big hubs – particularly Washington which is very stakeholder-heavy – to touch audiences across the continent. We mentioned, again, the stakeholder balance. I think there's progress on that. U.S. government has a very clear representation, and certainly U.S. business has a very big representation, but with the growth for example of At-Large structures and NCUC has been very actively recruiting, I think that their – balance is a very relative term, but there's just – every category of stakeholder is growing, which I think is the right footing to be upon.

Our number four on this slide, we partner with constituencies or SO/AC structures on at least outreach. So, if there is an aim or a goal, and this, for example, teaming with At-Large on, for example, the CROPP program or your own outreach strategy or supporting your own individual efforts to do outreach, that's really where we should take our cues from.

We partner, and then of course we try to have allies that understand the stakeholder model of ICANN, and then they invite us to participate in either their events or their programs. And we have sort of a – we always try to have a heatmap across North America. We're able to sort

of do that a little bit better with the way we track, for example, newsletter subscriptions and so forth.

Some of the tactics, we don't really organize so many cross-community dialogs or roundtables, although I see Joly is talking about some of our ideas for New York, and we brainstormed, for example, about – since the Chairman of the IPC within the GNSO is New York-based, and wouldn't it be interesting to have an At-Large and IPC-hosted, jointly sponsored event in New York? That kind of thing. Again, that helps our diverse community grow some relationships and some cohesion before they get to individual ICANN meetings.

Of course, we're always being invited to join conferences and speak to like hosting organizations or domain name conferences, or sometimes we send very specialized people whether it's from staff or the community to things like intellectual property lawyers gathering, At-Large is represented at all of the ARIN meetings in recent years, so it's just having an ICANN presence and just making ICANN better known to stakeholders.

We try to work as At-Large does on improving our communications, whether that's social media or more traditional communications. We have the Speakers Bureau which tries to place experts in different – when requests come in for speakers. And then as I said, we have a lot of – again, we have outside partners in different categories that have worked with us or have asked us to work with them. The places where we cross over between different stakeholder categories are usually in the IGFs, and there's the IGF USA that many of you are familiar with, and CIRA in Canada also runs a Canadian Internet Forum.

---

Now, this strategy dates from April of 2016, and as I said, the new one is due in April of 2017, which I think is very well timed to seek input from At-Large and other, and NARALO at your General Assembly. And certainly, we can address the needs of other North America-based stakeholders. But what we learned sort of from 2015 was that we stopped – we used to go out to market and say, “Here are all of the different SOs and ACs and constituencies in ICANN,” and show off this organization chart. And then we’d say, “Okay, what category are you?” And then we would try to introduce that person to that category. And again, one reason from an At-Large perspective, you have so many diverse people who are defined as users.

The great thing about At-Large is I can refer everybody to join At-Large whenever I talk to them, and Joe does the same. But also, what we’ve learned recently for all kinds of stakeholders is if you can have a dialog with them about what they’re working on, what their interest is and then back into a particular area of focus of ICANN policymaking, that’s a much more powerful way to start the conversation.

So, we’ve made lots of progress on engaging with the registry and registrar community. They’ve actually recognized as all the other SO/ACs that there’s a lot of work to do and they need more people, so they come to us and ask for help with that.

In Asia Pacific in particular, before and after ICANN meetings, they’ll do like a read-in and a read-out, whether in a local language because they have big language challenges, but I think we’d like to replicate some of that with our – particularly At-Large structures are really well positioned to do that, and we’re seeing more and more that At-Large structures are

---

becoming sort of the community hubs where they convene the local stakeholders and raise their awareness around the DNS.

There was one other slide at the end on the version I had, and that was really looking ahead, but I don't think it's on this one. In the last 30 seconds, I'll say – and I've conveyed to Glenn and to Judith, which is really in the post-IANA Stewardship Transition era, everything we do needs to be much more firmly linked to ICANN's mission and Bylaws, and really deeply grounded in our technical remit.

With that in mind, we're still working to spread the news about ICANN, but we're also working very hard to convert some of these aware stakeholders to active participants. And active participation could mean joining and being vocal on a working group or submitting a public comment, or formulating advice or a position on policy that's underway, serving on a review committee for example.

There's still plenty of work to go around, and we need to do – that brings me to the last point, which is I think that for the year ahead, capacity building. And that means training stakeholders how to be active, whether it's in the rudiments of the domain name system, whether it's how to make effective policy or how to drive toward consensus.

One of the things that the Global Stakeholder Engagement team is looking at is, for example, taking everything we do in capacity building, whether it's the courses on ICANN Learn or whether it's the leadership training programs or ICANN Academy, everything in-between, and really saying, "You know, we actually have a pretty good network of people

---

---

who are signed up for our newsletters, who know what ICANN is, who have expressed interest or even have already joined an At-Large structure. What can we do to empower them to become active so we hear their voices?”

Those will be the kinds of things as we work on a draft for a new strategy, and as I said, I’m asked by [Joly] to do that by April. If you can give me any advice or any feedback, or if you have any questions, I’d be delighted if there’s enough time.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Chris, thanks so much for the talk. We do want to call upon Joly to talk about what ISOC New York is doing about the .newyorkcity domain and what their public comment into the process is about. So, Joly, could you give us a little heads up of that, let everyone know?

JOLY MACFIE:

Well, the chapter passed – I will say slightly at Tom’s instigation – a resolution saying that there should be public input before the deal was [re-signed]. The deal was signed on March the 1<sup>st</sup> of 2012, so it’s due within the next couple of months or so.

I went through those various issues that I raise in the letter, so I’m not going to go through them all again, but one of the main things was that the advisory community, advisory council they formed was never transparent and then was kind of summarily disbanded. So, there never really has been much in the way of public input into the way that the domain is run.

---

And two, you start some [inaudible] have been mailing it in, because they started off with Ken Hansen in charge and then he was off, and then Jeff Newman was handling it himself and now he's off, so I couldn't even tell you who is responsible for the .nyc review at Neustar right now. What's more, it looks like they're being sold to somebody else, so we're a little worried that [inaudible]. Maybe people want to discuss Chris, I see in the chat that there's a discussion, people are more interested in what Chris was saying than this. And as I say, it is well documented on our site.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much, Joly. Yes, so we will be discussing this. Also, although we extended the meeting, we are still running a little bit behind, so we only have a few moments if people want to ask questions on Chris's, otherwise we will go on. Does anyone want to ask some quick questions? If so, let me know.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Judith, this is Heidi.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, I didn't have my hand up, just I'm wondering, Chris, if you can let people of NARALO know how best to contribute to this strategy before the deadline.

CHRIS MONDINI: Well, you could let me know, certainly. Our lines our open and we welcome any advice that you'd like to give. We could have a call. If there's room on the agenda at the General Assembly, we could share a revised draft for feedback or we could do a call before that. It's really up to you, so whatever would work.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: The questions are, is there a wiki that has this information that we can start a conversation at?

CHRIS MONDINI: No. Would you like to create space on one?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Because otherwise, how do we get spaces, like how do we have conversations starting?

CHRIS MONDINI: Right. Well, I think probably – so I'm seeing that Garth and Evan and others are saying that they're very unhappy with this particular strategy, or aspects of it. So, would it help to, when there's a draft of the 2017 strategy, send that to you for feedback and discussion?

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sure, because as you can see, people are very interested and want to see it, and also, we will put a copy of the slide deck link to the agenda so that people can see it, and then if they have any comments.

CHRIS MONDINI: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I do see a hand from Evan. Evan – and this is to [inaudible]

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi, can you guys hear me?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Can you hear me? Okay, hi. Chris, just as a matter of clarification, my problem isn't so much about the details, it's about the whole methodology. This is something that appears to be handed on down from up top. We're getting a strategy that's sort of telling us what we ought to be doing. I see very little adhere that's used to address – end users who don't even think of themselves as stakeholders but are affected by At-Large don't exist in this strategy at all. This is not a matter of detail. This is a thought process, this is a matter of thinking of end users from the ground up. This strategy is not going to engage



---

people in a way that's going to be able to address the next Ted Cruz attack, no matter where in the world it happens.

How do we better engage with registries and registrars? Guess what? They know where to find you. Having ICANN spend one iota of effort on how to engage the vested interests who are going to find you no matter where you are is an absolute waste of time. Trying to find the people who have no interest in ICANN and make them understand why they have an interest in ICANN and engaging them is the bigger challenge, but it's the one that will actually achieve results. Running after the people who know where you are and have a vested interest in impacting you seems to me to be utter pointlessness.

So, I'm asking you to tell me why you believe that this particular strategy is engaging stakeholders that already are engaging you as opposed to dealing with the people we really need to find. Thanks.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Evan.

CHRIS MONDINI:

Thank you very much. I would say I appreciate the comments, and it comes from a part – a very I think dedicated At-Large point of view. I have to say in the job description when you're hired to work in the Stakeholder Engagement Team, you're asked to engage equally with all stakeholder categories. That's everyone from Ted Cruz to Verizon Corporation to Freedom House to the ISOC New York.

So, it's I think a matter of perspective. At-Large has a good two pages of Bylaws in terms of what they do in outreach and building the community, and Joe and I will do our utmost to support those efforts. So, I don't think that it's detracting. I hope it's not detracting from your efforts to do the outreach and bring that next generation, as you said, into the ICANN fold and I think that we can do it while engaging with all the other stakeholders as well. I'm trying to have first a global perspective, then the regional perspective and then the all of ICANN perspective. But certainly, At-Large is the part that's really the – if you think about where the biggest part of the funnel to bring future policymaking active stakeholders is, At-Large is one of the few places that is infinitely scalable, so we want to absolutely support that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Great. Thanks so much. Yes, so I think it would be helpful if we had a place that people could be commenting on and that we could collect our comments and post questions and get some answers, and so that we could feel more – so the people will get to see that their comments are being heard and that they are being answered and that they are taking [into a difference] to what they're trying to do.

CHRIS MONDINI:

Yes, certainly, and I would say before, this was something that's been greatly mitigated I think in the last year. But before addressing the questions as us versus them within the ICANN community, I would just ask if the us, in this case At-Large is feeling – if it is demonstrably

---

supported and being helped in its aims regardless of where engagement is happening elsewhere. Does that make sense?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Great. Thanks so much. So, we'll set up a wiki page, staff will set up a wiki page and we'll then be able to continue the chat along there. Because right now, we are now running late even though we had a 90-minute thing and call. We devoted more time to this than we had thought that we would need, so we didn't realize it's going to be a 25-minute part.

So, we'll just move on. I wanted to remind everyone that we still have one spot left for CROPP, so if there's a conference that you're interested in going to or that you think would help extend NARALO, please let us know, and you have to remember that you need it eight weeks in advance.

That means that you have through March – actually, April. By April, we'll have to know. It's the last time for us to know about a conference so we can use the spot. So please do make sure that you let us know if there's a conference in the U.S. or Puerto Rico or Canada that you want to attend that would meet with our strategic plan goals. That would be great.

And then our next item is Glenn and I have been working with Silvia and staff on trying to itemize the points of the current Rules and Procedures, what ALSes have in place a non-active status. And we've been heavily documenting this, according to the Current Rules and Procedures, and

---

which ones even then are non-active and are not going to be joining us at the General Assembly.

They are America@Large, they're the Visually Impaired and Blind User Group, OpenMedia and the ISOC Disabled chapter as it is currently configured. They've all been notified. Some have been notified as [past] as in August that they violated [inaudible] 16.

Others later times, we've been working really trying to reach them out, and tried many efforts to reach them. So, we'll continue with that. As Glenn had mentioned on the chat, on the outreach, there's a form that's linked to the agenda, so if you need some money for an outreach activity, please do let us know, and there's a format for getting it, applying for it. And so we've asked for that from your requests, and I hope that gets used. I know Tom has put in a request for one, and maybe staff can follow up because we don't have time to figure out whether they would be filled or not.

And Glenn, ISOC [inaudible] not a SIG, they're a chapter because they were started as a chapter before SIGs were created, so they're not a SIG. But yes, so then [how you] will follow up with Tom and see what the status of your request is if it hasn't been approved yet.

Eduardo, do you want to have any comments about NomCom?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes. Just a quick thing, the applications are open for many positions. In fact, this year we are looking for two PPI directors, one seat for two years and one seat for three years. And it's interesting that for the At-

---

Large, there will be three people [on the Com] who we're looking for; one from Asia, one from Africa and one from Latin America.

So please, if you know people who are interested in ICANN, please do so. Especially if they're female. We need diversity. I encourage everyone to apply if they haven't done so, and encourage other people to do it. Thank you. That's all.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Eduardo. Alan, we have two minutes left, do you want to review the current ALAC public consultations?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I could do that. There is not an awful lot going on. Obviously, our main focus right now is on the At-Large Review and that's where most of our energy is going. The other open ones are the charter amendments on the business constituency. I believe we decided not to submit anything.

There's nothing there that's onerous, and it's not normally our policy to get into the affairs of other groups unless there's some impact or reason that we believe a warning has to be given. The GNSO initial report on IGO-INGO curative rights, that's essentially looking at the concept of what would be trademarks, except that IGOs don't necessarily have trademarks that they're protected by international treaty. And the position the work group is taking is first of all for INGO, non-governmental units which are essentially businesses or corporations that have a multinational aspect. They're not doing anything. These people can take out trademarks if they want and normal rules apply.

---

For IGOs, they're basically saying that the normal processes will apply except that the bodies that are judicating it will consider their rights under international treaty to be comparable to trademarks and proceed from there. So, they're taking a very simply and minimalist approach, and I think it makes complete sense, so I don't think we're going to be giving a comment on that either, but that's still being discussed. I think that's where we are at the moment.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Great, so we'll be finishing then on time. Thanks for the very quick wrap-up for that, and I guess we're on any topic of Any Other Business. If there's anyone who has any quick things to say before we end the meeting, please let me know.

I guess not. I don't see any hands up, anything on Adigo, so please let me know if there's anything else. Otherwise, thanks so much for coming to this extended edition of the NARALO call, and we look forward to seeing you next month when we are in Copenhagen. So, bye.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Judith.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely rest of the day. Bye.

---

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:       Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]