
GISELLA GRUBER:

The recording and interpretation will now officially start. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement on Tuesday, the 17th of January at 14:00 UTC.

On the English channel, we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Maureen Hilyard, Wolf Ludwig, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Daniel Nanghaka, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Ali Al Meshal, Glenn McKnight, Andrei Kolesnikov, Isaac Maposa.

On the Spanish channel, we have Harold Arcos. On the French channel, we have Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong.

Apologies noted from Javier Rua-Jovet.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Evin Erdogdu, Deborah Escalera, Adam Peake and myself, Gisella Gruber.

I hope I haven't left anyone off the roll call. If I have, please do speak up.

Our interpreters today are Veronica and David on the Spanish channel, and Isabell and Camilla on the French channel.

If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes, and also to allow the interpreters to identify you on the other language channel. Thank you very much, and over to you, Dev.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much, and a very good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Dev, if you don't mind, just ask for an audio test. This is an audio test for Tijani. That's all, go ahead.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Tijani. Yes, I heard you well. I hope the interpreters also heard you well. I'm sure they will let us know. A very good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone, and welcome to everyone, and I guess a welcome to the At-Large staff member, Evin. I'll probably have to learn how to pronounce your surname properly.

We have a packed agenda, so we will be looking at the community onboarding project that myself, Beran and Isaac have been working on. I just wanted to get a follow-up on the ATLAS II recommendation and the outreach budget request for RALOs to access funds for local outreach, and perhaps try to get an update from staff as to what is happening regarding that budget requests which were submitted and approved for FY17.

Also, after that, we will be looking at... Sorry, my page has gone and froze there for a second. After that, I just wanted us to look through the At-Large outreach with the NextGen fellows, the presentation that [has been] done for in the ICANN Finland meeting and now in Hyderabad.

I'd just like to get some feedback as to what could be improved with it. And I see Deborah Escalera is on the call. Maybe she also has some

feedback from the NextGen as to other things that need to be improved or removed or added, what can be done to improve our conversations with the NextGen.

And of course, Any Other Business. And perhaps we might get an update from Glenn as to the budget proposal that was being submitted last week. So, hopefully we'll get a chance to just come back to that and get an update from Glenn on that.

Okay, so the community onboarding presentation. This is part of a project –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks very much, Dev, and sorry for jumping in like this. Could I have a few minutes at the end of the call in Any Other Business to address, or just to let you know where we are when it comes down to outreach and engagement at the next ICANN meeting in Copenhagen?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Indeed, certainly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alright, thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, great. Thank you. This is the At-Large onboarding project, and this is part of the project that's under the DPRD, which is seeking to create an onboarding documentation approach for all the ACs and SOs. Myself and Isaac Maposa and Beran Gillen who was unable to be on this call today – she sent her apologies – have been working on how do we try have people introduced to ICANN and At-Large.

I would like to now turn the floor over to Isaac Maposa to take us through this presentation. Isaac? Is Isaac on the phone bridge or the AC room?

GISELLA GRUBER: Hi, Dev, Isaac seems to have dropped.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Isaac has dropped? Oh dear. Okay. Well, in this case, I could [inaudible] Isaac, we can't hear you. Oh dear. Well, in the interim while we try to sort out Isaac Maposa, I wonder what's the best thing to do. Let's see... Isaac, I could hear you, but very faintly. Can you speak a little bit... Can you bring yourself a little bit closer to the microphone?

ISAAC MAPOSA: Hello. Can you hear me now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I certainly hope the interpreters can hear you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. I'll be talking about the community onboarding program. I think there's just an overview about the community onboarding program. It started in Marrakech, at ICANN 55. Then it continued in Helsinki, then we continued in Hyderabad.

I'm working on – hello?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hi, Isaac. We can still hear you, but I have to admit it is quite faint.

GISELLA GRUBER: Dev, sorry.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Gisella.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Hello?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Isaac, we are struggling to hear you. Can you please make sure that you speak up? Or otherwise, send me a contact number for us to call you. Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. Let me –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, while Isaac gets sorted out, perhaps we can just pause the presentation, and let me jump ahead to the next agenda item and then come back to agenda item number three.

This is regarding the ATLAS II recommendation, and this is a budget request that was sent by the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee so RALOs that have access to funds for local outreach. The idea being that while we have programs like CROPP which is good for travel to countries for outreach events, there was really a lack of funding available for local outreach.

If you had to go within your country, just to take a train or a long car drive or whatever, or to print some local materials to do local outreach within your country, and this is what the budget request for RALOs [inaudible] funding was trying to address.

At the Hyderabad meeting, it was impressed upon by the GSE... Sorry, let me just update as to what happened. The budget request was approved, with an amount of money assigned to the GSE from each region. At the Hyderabad meeting though, it was not very clear as to how the process would work, and it was strongly impressed upon when we met with the GSE at Hyderabad to have some sort of local form developed so that it's a much more clearer process.

I just wanted to get an update from staff as to whether this form has been completed, because I have not yet seen any form circulated in this regard. Can staff give an update on this? If [inaudible] aware of a form, then perhaps we need to just find a link to this – take the floor and just explain what has happened.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Isaac Maposa –

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Dev, it's Cheryl here. I don't know about staff, but I'm getting plenty of an update from Glenn in a sense to at least funds from within NARALO, so it exists and it's been used. I'd call that an update.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Glenn, could you just quickly give an update on to this, as to where this form is located?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi. I have a digital copy, an MS Word copy that Heidi sent around. I'm not sure. We talk about it every month at our NARALO call, emphasizing not only – it's [inaudible] discussion on CROPP reports and outstanding reports on CROPP, but in addition, this is a new feature and it's taking a while for people to understand what we can use the funds for or not.

I just tasted a second ago what are some of the criteria. For example, we requested – we're doing a general assembly at ARIN, we'll have a

special table at the ARIN event. ARIN is out North American RIR in April, and each of us will be responsible at that table.

We have NARALO buttons as well, so we will be infiltrating the ARIN event, but we hope to – we have a new mail card as well, and a digital PDF version, clickable PDF version of our brochure. So, we requested some funds for a banner to be placed at our table.

Secondly, Tom and Joly also were looking at some support for two local events that they're doing as well. I haven't seen their proposals yet, but they go to the GSE and our GSE is Chris Mondini, and we'll see how that – so we're just sort of testing the waters on how quickly the process works, but at least we have a form and a process to go through. That's it from me. Back to you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Glenn. I see Heidi has her hand raised. Heidi, please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you, everyone, and sorry for the slight delay in getting here. I wanted to let you know that the portal to the GSE funds has been placed on all of the RALOs' portals. You'll see I've put the example link for the EURALO portal.

There's now a box for outreach and engagement activities with all the key documents. This has been placed on all of the RALOs except NARALO, because they are handling their own portal it looks like, but we're happy to put it up there as well.

Take a look and you'll see that for example for EURALO, it'll say EURALO Outreach Strategic Plan. Again, that was the one that was approved either regional VP. Then there is the RALO request for outreach support per Board special request allocation. That's the template itself, but that is currently a living document.

You'll see that it says requests must be sent in at least prior to the event that you're talking about. That's the current time. If we realize as we go along that we might need a little bit more time or even less time, then we'll adjust it as is.

The next item would be an outreach calendar, and then the brochure that you have in your RALO. Let us know if that was a – if there are any updates needed on that. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Heidi, and thanks for this. Okay, so the form is uploaded on each of the RALOs' wiki pages. Just to confirm, what the process is is that for them to download the form, fill it out and send it to ICANN staff, I guess also CC-ing the general GSE person? Is that the process?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would think – and this is what Glenn did, is that he sent it directly to his regional VP, CC-ing At-Large staff. You can CC Silvia and myself on that. But I see here on – yes, and then put the amount in U.S. dollars in that you're requesting, the date, timeframe, deadline for request, and then a description. There's a category section of what kind of activity,

sponsorship, catering, equipment, services and other, and then who and how the payment should be made.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So, I think it's important to make sure that all the ALSes are aware so that – because I have to admit, as an ALS, sometimes I think maybe I want to do an outreach event, but then it's a hassle to do it and to take money out of my own pocket.

So, I think it's really important – as Glenn is pointing out in the chat – to ensure that all the RALOs are aware of this now. Because I certainly wasn't aware of it in LACRALO, and we just had a call yesterday about it.

So, it's probably something that we need to perhaps do a general message to all the RALOs to ensure that the process is now available, there's now the form, give the link to the form, and the procedure for an ALS to request it.

Okay, so I think that's – Cheryl, and I see Glenn. Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks very much. Dev, Glenn said something else that I think is critical here, and listening to Heidi's briefing – and thanks for that, Heidi – appears to be missing in the methodology. If I was to extrapolate myself into concerns of regional leadership, if it's coming straight from ALSes, there'd be very little ability for other ALSes within the region – and indeed the regional leadership – to know how much of the 2000 allocation is being used, underutilized, overutilized by one or perhaps even only one ALS. There might be only one ALS that needs it, and that's

okay. But I do think we need to encourage some sort of – as Glenn has described – specific RALO... I hesitate to call it management, but that action on all of this.

So, without things getting unduly complicated, and obviously keeping it as minimalistic as possible because Glenn also noted it was a short form, I think somehow in our advice we should encourage not only the RALOs to make it clear that this is available directly for the ALSes, etc., but to also have a process whereby at the very least it's copied to their leadership at the request stage.

It may be wise in my view to have a very quick – and it should be able to be quick – agreement/signoff or whatever from RALO leadership as part of the final processing as well. In some RALOs, the regional hub works very closely with the leadership, and this may be seamless within minutes of things happening.

And they may be automatically copying, but I think we do need to strive for some uniformity here, and most importantly, we need to make sure that 1997 of these U.S. dollars hasn't been used by one ALS without even the regional leadership knowing. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Cheryl, and I agree. I think that obviously, the RALO leadership needs to be involved in this, just like the CROPP [inaudible]. So, Glenn – and I do want to move on from this agenda item. Glenn, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Quite quickly, I think Cheryl fully understands what safeguards we have to put in place. Just like the CROPP program, we don't want a situation where it's underutilized or it's overutilized only by a few folks. In NARALO, we emphasize in our CROPP situation that anyone who has taken a trip before can't take one this year, and we're down to just one left.

But again, you have to tell people so many times that a trip is still available. Because of timelines, time slips away, and before you know it, you may lose that. And it's so important for us to make sure that this program works, that it's fair, that it's actually going to the right stuff.

For example, Tom and Joly were going to submit budget submissions. In reality, talking to them, it was really outreach and engagement, and a small amount of money for local events. So, they would have been rejected if they went for the FY18.

And really, the emphasis there is not to depend on ICANN for all the money for their event. It's a little bit of money to help offset some costs, but it's meant for you to encourage you as an ALS to go out and find matching funding, or find in-kind locations and stuff.

And again, it's important for each of the RALOs to emphasize this again and again to its membership that this is available. If we end up not using it, it's going to be gone, so I just want to emphasize that it's important to realize it's there and use it wisely.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn. I think it's good that some progress was made regarding and the form is now available. I do hear what Cheryl is saying, that we need to make sure – and what Glenn is saying, and Heidi – that yes, okay, the RALO leadership has to be involved, but I think we probably do need to have a sort of – perhaps this needs to be I suppose a wiki page rather than just the Word file for them to fill out.

Just have a separate page, just to state quickly what the process steps are, and maybe a style of dashboard or reporting to see how the requests were handled. So for transparency purposes, what was – how it's being used. Perhaps we can work with – I'll volunteer to work with staff on that. I see Heidi and Glenn. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you, Dev. Just a point on the issue of who, or should there be an overall coordinator. The form says that the note should be sent from the designated RALO coordinator. Does that mean that that is the RALO Chair? And if so, that means that all requests need to be approved by the RALO chair. That's my understanding, but you might want to agree that that is also your understanding as well. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. I would assume the RALO coordinator would be a Secretariat, because to me, the Secretariat is the one that coordinates the information flow within the RALO. So, I think obviously, we need to get some clarity when we write down the process steps on this.

So, I do see two more hands, but I really want to move on to the other items on the agenda. Can you please put your comments in the chat? Or is it very short interventions?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Very short for me.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Tijani, since you haven't spoken, go ahead, and keep it short.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. The funds are for the RALOs. They are not for ALSes, each ALS. It's for the RALO, but it's for the use of the ALSes. So, the request should go through the RALO leadership. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, indeed. Okay. Alright, so Glenn, you really want to say something, or is it an old hand? Okay. Glenn, I'm going to assume that's – oh, it is an old hand. Thank you. Okay, so let's note that as agenda item two. Let's work with staff to create a wiki page outlining the steps and bring a little bit more clarity to the process. Okay, and then we can circulate it to all the RALOs afterwards, once the page is up.

Okay, so now that that was done completely, let's go back to our agenda item number three, which is the community onboarding. I believe Isaac is back on the call, and hopefully we'll be able to hear him properly. Isaac, are you there?

ISAAC MAPOSA: Hello. Yes, I'm there. Hello, can you hear me now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, much better. [inaudible]

ISAAC MAPOSA: [inaudible] Okay, great. Can I go ahead?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Isaac, yes, you can go ahead.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay, good. I'll be talking about the community onboarding program which started at ICANN 55 in Marrakech. We [convened] in Helsinki and Hyderabad. We're working on this, myself and Beran. When we started in Marrakech, we were under the mentorship of Cheryl, myself and Beran, and now we're under the mentorship of Dev.

Basically, what's the community onboarding program? It's a program that aims to ease the assimilation of new community members into the community and empower these members to actively participate within the community. That's what the community onboarding program aims to do.

We do understand that people who come into ICANN come from different ways and from different backgrounds, with different levels of

knowledge, so the community onboarding program aims to cater for everyone regardless of where they are coming from, so that it will be easy for someone to join the community and to actively participate within the community.

I also posted a link to the wiki page on what we have been working on. I just posted it on the group chat. You can also view that, and also leave some comments on the wiki as well. Then for the community onboarding program, we have broken it down into some steps, into four major steps, which are promoting, understanding, joining and engaging.

We have broken it into steps so that if someone comes into the community, we are looking – from when the person joins the community, the first stages, up to the stage where someone can actually engage and assume some responsibility or some roles within ICANN.

So, the promoting aspect, we are looking at who are our target participants for our community, who are we aiming for them to join our community. So basically, what are our target participants for the At-Large community, how can each participant get involved within the community? Basically, we are looking at the academics, professional societies, research organizations, community –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Isaac, unfortunately we're having a technical glitch or something regarding the presentation, so this part is now uploaded.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay, yes, I can see it now.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, good. I think we just wanted it to go back to the four stages, and then let's continue from there. So, the next slide. Or perhaps I could be made a presenter. Thank you. Okay. Lovely. Okay.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Isaac.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. At the first stage, we have promoting At-Large. At promoting At-Large, what we are looking at is we are looking at who are our target participants, who are the people who can be part of the At-Large community. And also, how can we reach out to those people? What are the means, or what are the mechanisms that we can use to reach out to those people who can be part of the At-Large community?

That's basically what we'll be looking at on the stage of promoting At-Large. Then, we move on to the next stage, which is understanding At-Large.

At understanding At-Large, once one becomes interested with the At-Large community, we're looking at – the person needs to understand what the At-Large community is all about, what are the activities that

are entailed within the At-Large community, and how is the At-Large community organized, what's the organizational structure.

At understanding At-Large, we basically need to [help] people understand what At-Large is all about, what does it do? For example, policy development. What does At-Large do? Policy advice development, policy development and organization building.

Someone needs to understand what At-Large does. On understanding, we also have some tools that actually help someone to understand better about the At-Large community, like we have our website which is quite informative about the At-Large community, which also digs down into the administrative structure of ALAC, administrative structure of the RALOs and who can join At-Large.

We also have some e-books and a beginner's guide. We also have the ICANN Learn website where someone could actually take a course about the At-Large community. We also have a YouTube channel which we do plan to actually utilize a lot.

Then, we move to the next stage which is joining At-Large, where we are looking at how does one join the At-Large. As an organization, as an individual, how does one become part of the At-Large community? If we move on on the slide, here we can see that an organization can be part of At-Large through becoming an At-Large Structure.

If one registers the organization to become an ALS, automatically, the members of that organization can be part of the At-Large community. And we have a number of RALOs that accept individual memberships,

like the APRALO, the NARALO, and EURALO. I believe the APRALO is also working on a similar arrangement as well.

Then, we look at – if someone wants to join At-Large, to engage within At-Large, what is required for someone to engage within the At-Large? We see that there is a number of activities that are carried out within At-Large, and these activities are now on our mailing list. One can actually notice these activities through calendar and through the social media, where one can actually see what's happening within the At-Large and can actually be part of the activities that will be taking place, and also find that there are RALO calls and ALAC calls [inaudible] on a monthly basis where someone can be part of the calls, and also one can actually join the At-Large working groups where one can actually participate and engage within the At-Large community.

I can see Glenn seems to have posted something about unaffiliated membership. Okay, probably we'll look at the questions later after the presentation so that we can actually do it in a short period because of our time.

Also, we'll notice that there are a number of ways or there are some collaboration tools that people can use to participate within the activities that are carried out within the At-Large community, where we'll be looking at tools like the Adobe Connect, the Adigo, the calendar where someone can actually see the activities that are taking place within At-Large, and actually integrate the calendar to his maybe Google Calendar or whichever calendar he's using so that he can get notified about the activities that will be taking place.

We also have some Skype groups, instant messaging where we use Skype, currently is the most used. Then we also have the wiki where everyone can actually see what's going on. Besides these online activities that are carried out, someone also has to know that there are also face-to-face meetings that do take place within a calendar year, three meetings. In each calendar year, there are three public meetings that take place. So actually, someone [inaudible] know that you can join these public meetings through fellowship and through NextGen. If one is an academic and is under the age of 30, he can be part of the NextGen. Currently, the [inaudible] NextGen program is opened up where one can apply with the fellowship program as well.

Then when one is actively engaged within the At-Large community through the At-Large working groups, through different avenues of engagement, one can actually further engage by maybe assuming some roles within the At-Large community. Like you can assume some roles within the At-Large working groups, you can be part of the leaderships, you can join – like currently, there are some openings where one can actually be part of – so one can actually further engage within the At-Large community by assuming some leadership roles within the At-Large community.

I think that is all for now. We welcome some questions and some contributions. Please feel free to also visit the wiki page which I sent the link on the chat, and put in some comments. Send also some contributions on the mailing list so that you can actually help build the community onboarding program.

So basically, this is all about the community onboarding program. We are aiming at trying to help people engage more within the At-Large community by giving them the right tools, the right knowledge so that they can actively participate within the community. I welcome some questions, and I can see there's Heidi, Tijani. I think Dev, you can manage the queue.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, certainly. Thanks, Isaac, for that, and getting through the technical hiccup earlier. Just to also elaborate before I take both of the questions, the At-Large community onboarding page as Isaac mentioned goes into a little bit more detail as what the approach is trying to do.

For example, if you look at Promoting ICANN At-Large, we tried to put a rationale as to why should you be involved in At-Large, who are the people that could be involved, and if so, you might want to take a look at that, the Promoting At-Large page just to see how we're trying to approach and attempt to try to make this as a kind of way to get people more involved.

And they could join in at any point in the journey, as we outlined in the four stages: promoting ICANN At-Large, then you learn to understand what At-Large is, then you can join and then you can engage. Alright, so now that I've pointed that out, I see two hands raised. Tijani, and then Heidi. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. If Heidi wants to intervene before, I don't have any problem.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, you're first.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you very much, Dev. I am one of the most supportive of this [inaudible] of the training, mentoring, onboarding, etc. I find it one of the best effort that we can do for At-Large. I was about to be the mentor of Isaac and Beran. This is to tell you how I am excited about it, and how I support you.

But my RALO was really concerned about the way the program was made, how the mentees we're selected, how the mentors were selected. How can be a community program with no information to the community? It started in Marrakech, and we didn't know about it. We knew about it accidentally. And this is something that is not acceptable at all.

I know it is a pilot program, but even a pilot program should be done with the community. It is a bottom-up organization, and we need to do it like this. So, [inaudible] I hope that in the future, everything will be clear and announced to the community. The community should know and should participate in this kind of program. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Tijani, for the comment. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, thank you, Dev. And just on Tijani's point, yes, Tijani, thank you for those comments. I recall that you raised them to Sally and [inaudible] in Hyderabad, and I have been in touch with them about that. So, I expect to be speaking to them more about that in the next week or so.

Again, just on the comments of this excellent presentation, thank you very much, Isaac and Beran, for putting this together. Just to let you know that At-Large put in place a new ALS onboarding program 18 months ago, and it would be nice to add that to it as well.

That basically consists of two calls with new ALSes. Again, this is when we have a critical mass of ALSes. We bring them on to invite them to two calls. One just with staff so we can introduce ourselves and they introduce themselves.

We talk a little bit about our services, etc., and the next call is with the RALO and ALAC Chairs, again allowing them to introduce each other and some of the programs going in their RALOs. There's also a new ALS help line that we subscribe all new ALS representatives to for about three months. Then we also send out a series of e-mails. Maybe that can be incorporated into this presentation.

The other point is that the APRALO has an amazing mentorship program that they are doing for their upcoming leaders, and that's something that might be useful to add to this as well. It might be also useful for At-Large to have or the RALOs to have a welcome team organized, so when new individuals or ALSes join, there's a team that welcomes them and brings them along as they move forward.

And then my third question is just what are the plans for the dissemination of this onboarding, for this welcome presentation? Will there be an ICANN Learn for example, this online learning platform? Will it be put into a document and translated? Will there be webinar on this? I really would like to see this promoted, and just wondering how you wish to do that. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Heidi. Just to try to answer the question briefly – and I think [inaudible] and that’s why I wanted to bring this to the attention of the Outreach and Engagement subcommittee, because I realized this was happening at different RALOs, so this is an attempt to kind of try to unify the conversation, so to speak, on that.

I think in terms of the approach for doing this, it’s the wiki page that had the more detailed approach as to – this is more documenting the approach, but then it’s the actual material itself as to how we are actually making the explanation, how we are making the case for At-Large as to why you should join and who can join, and so forth.

I would say the next steps so far as to refine our core message, and then look to translate that. Possibly ICANN Learn, although we still haven’t had an opportunity to have a chance to get involved into how ICANN Learn works. Or to do it in sets of slides, maybe can be made as part of a YouTube video. The floor is open, I just – we definitely need to work on our – do we have consensus on our message for At-Large as to who we are, what we are, this is what we do, how we do it? That’s really

[inaudible] focus at least in the interim, rather than looking to put things in...

And then once we [consolidified] our message, then look to see how it can be delivered. Tijani, I see a quick hand. Yes, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes. thank you very much, Dev. I fully support your proposal to make every outreach and engagement action go through the subcommittee, because we are [repeating] efforts. I think that the efforts of the RALO should go through the subcommittee.

We don't have to do the same thing for each RALO. There is a subcommittee that can do that for all the RALOs, so it is better. We are saving time and money to do it like this. It is the same for everything. For capacity building, it is exactly the same. So, I do support your proposal. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thank you. Going back quickly to what Heidi was saying as the approach they do when newcomers join the ALS either as individuals or as an ALS or whatever, they outlined several steps. Perhaps the steps can be outlined somewhere, Heidi? Is this documented on a wiki somewhere?

If not, perhaps they can, and therefore we can then perhaps suggest some ideas about it. Hearing what you said, I can think of some ideas that perhaps you can improve on it, but perhaps [inaudible] post things to this document what we're doing now, and then we can all comment on it and make our suggestions in time for our next call or a future call.

Okay, lovely.

Again, please do take a look at the wiki page and make some comments as to the messaging for the onboarding approach. Okay, so I know we have ten minutes, so let's just jump ahead to the next agenda item, and that is quickly the ICANN's – our outreach to NextGen students.

We have done two presentations, and I'm not going to go through the entire presentation at this point because you don't have the time for it, but it's linked in our agenda page. So if the presentation can be just uploaded and unsynced for everybody to just scroll through.

I thought that actually the presentation that went in Hyderabad went very well, and I just want to get some feedback as to those who were in the room, and perhaps from staff. Was it useful? Are there aspects that we need to change in our approach?

So, I just wanted to get some initial feedback on this. The floor is open. And I'm seeing people in chat typing. Deborah has raised her hand. Thank you. Deborah, go ahead.

DEBORAH ESCALERA: Hi, can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Deborah, we can hear you very well. Go ahead.

DEBORAH ESCALERA: I thought the presentation was very well given and very well received. The NextGen did enjoy it. The only thing is in terms of us being able to attend this type of presentation at every meeting, it's very difficult to commit to that, because of course, as other booths start to ask for the same thing, then the NextGen will be completely overwhelmed and not able to attend and have freedom to attend their other sessions of their choice.

So, I would suggest perhaps maybe we could do this during a post- or pre-meeting webinar rather than – because I would like them to attend regular ALAC sessions so it's more organic, so they're able to experience that, to see how an actual session works.

But in terms of the presentation, I thought it was fabulous. I thought it was very well received and very well given, and it was a good experience for them.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Deborah. The question is then, is it that the NextGen they have [inaudible] undergo a sort of pre-meeting webinars and so forth that they attend, and maybe then this presentation could be done for them? If I understand, is that what you're suggesting?

DEBORAH ESCALERA: Yes, absolutely. We do a pre-meeting. Every week, they receive e-mails, sometimes we'll do a webinar, they're on the ICANN Learn site. So, there's a six-week prep prior to each meeting for the NextGen. So, this would work right into it, and that way when they're at the meeting, they

could attend regular ALAC sessions to see a more organic working session. And I think that would be more beneficial to them.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This sounds like a doable approach, Deborah. We can probably do the pre-meeting, and as you said, we can look at incorporating some of these things into ICANN Learn module, and then perhaps have a – I think perhaps a more Q&A session, like before our regular ALAC meeting, if there were any questions they wanted to raise. Because as I said, I was very impressed with the level of questioning in the NextGen, very astute. That was my thinking during the session.

Any other thoughts or comments? Just looking through the chat here. Yes, I see – well, generally supportive of the idea of a pre-meeting webinar. Does anyone want to speak to it, anything else added to this? Going once, going twice.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Dev, I'm having trouble raising my hand. It'll probably go up now I'm speaking. There we go, typical.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Dev. Deborah, I'm absolutely supportive of your suggestions, and I think it would behoove this group to make sure that material can

be perhaps updated and tweaked for pre-meeting use to be meeting-specific, and perhaps keen on a couple of the ALAC meetings that are being scheduled that might be more rewarding and useful for NextGen to – hopefully all month – attend.

And for our efforts within ALAC and At-Large, I think if we can try and narrow down to a couple of key opportunities where we would be welcoming our NextGen friends to come and watch us play, we could then also ensure that there is sufficient time on the agenda to pull out from the [inaudible] past agendas that we've run in these face-to-face meetings, and let's make sure that we do some specific engagement, ensuring Q&A and that sort of thing.

I think that'll be a much more dynamic and welcoming approach, sort of a combination of pre-work, making sure it is updated, modified and specific to the meeting coming up, and perhaps identifying a couple of key times where the, "Come and play in our backyard" invitations will be more rewarding, and we'll make sure we have the time in the agenda to recognize that and act accordingly. At least that's how I'd do it if I was queen. But [inaudible] I'm not.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Cheryl. The challenge I think is always having enough preparation to have a good schedule to identify the key possible meetings, ALAC meetings that we'll want the NextGen to interact with. But I do take your point on that. Deborah, you have a final comment?

DEBORAH ESCALERA: Yes, I think that's a great idea. I think doing the pre-meeting prep and then identifying sessions that you'd like them to attend would be the absolute perfect way to go.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Deborah. So we have some ideas here as to how we want to make this approach here, so I'll try to document this for further work by the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee on this. So thanks for that, and thanks, Deborah, for your valuable comments.

Our next agenda item is, well, I think it was Any Other Business if I do recall, which is good because we're almost at the top of the hour. Just to acknowledge Glenn McKnight on the last call, we looked at his proposal for the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee for having a more sustained awareness approach at IGF.

It was sent to Heidi, Heidi made comments, and members of the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee also made some comments. So thanks, Glenn, for really taking the pen on this and making this happen, and getting the proposals submitted to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee.

I think Olivier will have some time to quickly give us an update on what's happening at the outreach for Copenhagen. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Dev. On one of the recent calls, I started speaking about many of the activities that we were planning to do in Copenhagen. Focusing specifically on the outreach, the last action item I

had was to get in touch with the NCUC who do have usually very good outreach at these meetings, and to see if we could do something together.

[I've been] speaking to Farzaneh Badii who's the Chair of NCUC and Tatiana Tropina who is the person in charge of outreach for NCUC. They have filed a request for a room on the day one afternoon, which is – day one is the day which is marked as being the day for outreach, and I'm hoping that we – as in EURALO and At-Large – would be able to use the full day for various activities, capacity building and outreach.

The outreach component part, there are two things: first, there would be this proposed joint session of NCUC and EURALO – and I'm saying NCUC and EURALO because obviously, the NCUC is a constituency of the GNSO. EURALO is a component, a Regional At-Large Organization of the ALAC, so it's about the same sort of level for the two to collaborate, and we would have that going on in that afternoon of day one.

There are also discussions that I've had with Jean-Jacques Sahel, the Regional Vice President for Europe, in order to have two things. There could be a pre-event event that might take place a month before the ICANN meeting takes place. This is yet to be determined and confirmed, as the local hosts have to be involved.

As well, there was talk of a day zero event, but now this has been pushed back because a lot of people are only arriving on that day so they wouldn't be able to attend in person. In addition to this, many of the so-called experts from ICANN are busy with the Cross-Community Working Group on ICANN Accountability Work Stream 2, which has

selected day zero as the day for them to do all their work, so they wouldn't be available for anything on day zero.

But there might be – and again, this requires the local host to work on this, and they're supposed to come back to us – a visit to a local university. It's all being studied at the moment and envisaged, but at present, no firm plans.

When it comes down to the collaboration with NCUC, there is a Google doc that we've put up for the small group of people including the co-Chairs of the Outreach and Engagement Working Group to come up with some kind of a framework, and then we'll present that over to the wider working group, I hope within the next week. That's all, thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Olivier. Thanks for that succinct summary. Any very quick comments or questions? Going once, going twice. Okay, and yes, I believe as Olivier said, I think the document should be circulated hopefully by next week with the wider Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee.

Okay, since it's now two minutes past the top of the hour, I'd like to thank everyone for attending this call. It has been very informative thanks to the presenters and the feedback received on all of our outreach and engagement activities.

I will see you on the next outreach and engagement call, and of course, on the mailing list. Thank you all again. Thanks to our interpreters. This

call is now adjourned. Have a wonderful afternoon, morning, evening, night.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you, bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you, everyone.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, everyone. The call has been adjourned, and the audio will now be disconnected. Thank you for joining today's call.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]