

YEŞİM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to you all. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement call taking place on Wednesday, the 11th of January 2017, at 1700 UTC. On the call today, we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong, Ali Al Meshal, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Harold Arcos, Isaac Maposa, Javier Rua-Jovet, John Laprise, Maureen Hilyard, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Tatiana Tropina, and Yrjö Lansipuro. I see that Wolf Ludwig has joined us, as well.

On the Spanish channel, we have Renata Aquino Ribeiro. Currently, we don't have anyone on the French channel, and Andrei Kolesnikov has just joined us, as well. We haven't received any apologies for today's call, and from Staff we have Gisella Gruber, Siranush Vardanyan, and I see Jean-Jacques Sahel, as well, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar. Our Spanish interpreter today is Veronica, and our French interpreters are Isabelle and Camila.

I would like to welcome Glenn McKnight, as well. And finally, if I could please remind everyone to state their name before speaking; not only for the transcription purposes, but also for the interpretation purposes, as well. And over to you, Dev. Thank you very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thank you very much, Yeşim. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Welcome, everyone, and a belated happy new year to all of you in 2017. We have a packed agenda for this call. We're going to be looking at a possible Outreach and Engagement proposal for At-Large awareness for

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

IGF 2017. Then we're going to have a discussion regarding outreach at the ICANN 58 meeting in Copenhagen, which is going to be in March of this year, and any additional ideas and discussions for next steps. Okay? And does anyone have anything to add to the agenda? Going once, going twice – nothing.

So let's just go straight into item number three on the agenda, which is an Outreach and Engagement proposal for At-Large awareness. On the last call, there was some discussion by the subcommittee on the outreach at IGF 2016 in Mexico, or specifically the lack of outreach at the IGF in Mexico. I think, based on those discussions, a proposal has been drafted and Glenn McKnight has taken the lead on this proposal. So, Glenn, perhaps you could now take the floor and go over what's been done so far?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. I just want to do a sound check. How's my audio?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. You sound great.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Happy 2017, everyone. It's not the first meeting for this year, but it's one of many this week. I just want to give you a little bit of context, and I hate to repeat it, but it was something that we discussed partially at our last Outreach and Engagement call. We had roughly twenty-two, twenty-three people of the At-Large community at the IGF meeting. There was an ICANN booth largely attended by two administrative

operational staff that did their work in the background; but there was no At-Large literature at the table. It was a bit of a hangout for Staff or Board members to be there; but in terms of an inviting booth to get people very interested in At-Large in particular, it failed miserably. There was no coordination with that. On the flip side, we had NCUC who had a booth. Now, to get a booth, you need to roughly – there’s a process with IGF and back in July was the cutoff date. So NCUC really had their act together in terms of outreach and engagement. They had their booth, and many of the – I think we even had more people than they had at the event; and like us, many of us did sessions or were panelists in sessions – so we were there, but we were largely invisible. As a result of that – and I had an interesting chat with our own Vice President of North America – and he was saying that, “Oh, wow, NCUC did great! They recruited fifteen people.” And I go, “Yeah, they had great brochures; they had staff support with Adam; their engagement was just superb. Renata did a great job; and I’m not sure if she coordinated all the volunteers, but at their booth, they had dedicated people – multiple people at their dedicated booth – right through the whole event.” So, for the benefit of everyone, this is a three-day event; it was in Mexico – in Guadalajara – this year. So, we are looking at a proposal that will try to rectify this situation and look at Geneva – very close to Christmas, actually – to have, not using the term “outreach and engagement,” because the feedback that Heidi kept saying at some of our meetings that [inaudible] falls into the same thing, it’s not – the FY 18 budget is not Outreach and Engagement. That’s why you have CROPP. So, we’re using a slightly different terminology – instead of just using “outreach and engagement.” The document itself is up on – and it should be – I sent the document for the center [inaudible]. If I could ask

Yesim to put it into the center [inaudible], I'll walk through it very quickly. Before I proceed in going to going to the document, does anyone have any questions for me, or perhaps anyone who was at the meetings? Olivier was there; I know Olivier did talk to [inaudible], I believe, and [inaudible] on the issues of lack of coordination. Oliver, did you want to add your two cents?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Glenn. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. No, I was just getting frustrated because I couldn't find any brochures anywhere. I was told that Tijani and that Satish had brochures, but we didn't have any brochures at the ICANN booth itself, and that was just pretty terrible. To this day, I still do not know if there has been any official shipment of – not only – well, certainly LACRALO brochures – I haven't seen any anywhere, and I haven't seen any At-Large brochures there, either, which compounded to the fact that we were totally invisible – we as a group, rather than as individuals. But that's – lessons to be learned, basically. That's all.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Also, Alan was at the event and so was Dev, so I'm looking at the list of people – oh, Harold was at the event as well, and Maureen, too. So, any of you folks want to chip in any comments? Okay, Alan, please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. This is something I've said before, although I can't actually remember where it was. The number of ICANN Board members

and Staff members who were there. I know there were about ten Board members; I have no clue how many Staff. Clearly, the focus of ICANN formally on IGF is solely through that. And I think that's a large mistake, so I support the kind of thing we're talking about here. Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Dev, can I say something?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you, Alan. [CROSSTALK]. Sorry, go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Daniel [inaudible]. Can I speak now?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: It's Daniel, for the record. One thing I see is, despite the fact that ICANN's principal goal is [inaudible], but if the idea of the potential ground whereby we can be able to reach out to different stakeholders. And one thing is that [inaudible] there is CROPP funding of RALO or of a region, the team that would attend IGF [inaudible]. Is this subsequent enough to reach out to other key potential stakeholders or organizers that come to the IGF? So, if we have key people or key representatives from each of the RALOs come into the IGF and have like the Board [AUDIO CUT OUT]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Daniel, I can't hear you. [inaudible]?

Okay. Perhaps Daniel's phone line is off. Okay, Maureen or Dev? Any comments before I turn to John Laprise?

Okay. Yes, that would be great. Do you want to go ahead?

JOHN LAPRISE: Yes. John Laprise, for the record. In looking over the request, I think it's a mistake to tag the travel support solely for the Chair and Co-Chairs of the Committee. I think, rather, since IGF is a global endeavor, it would be better served by having one member of each RALO attend. We are At-Large and if we're representing as At-Large, we want to extend and have that look of being At-Large. And so, I think that we want global representation at the booth, because IGF is global, and so I think more diverse representation would be appropriate. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thanks, John; I think that's a good point. We can modify the proposal accordingly. Everybody is in consensus on that? Alan, you have a comment?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. Before we start talking about the proposal itself, because I also have some specific comments, but I think I'd like to have you present it – the concept of awareness, I think, is key. The travel

issue, I think, is a secondary one that we have to push at from the perspective of what we're trying to do. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, okay. Alan is correct. Let me just walk through it; it's very simple. A, we're not going to stress the term "outreach and engagement," like I said earlier, because of the reaction that we believe that CROPP is being placed [inaudible]. We have to use other wording – "global capacity-building" – there are a few things. But some of those things that we're looking at doing, regardless if it's the Chair or some other designant, that we are looking at properly using that ICANN booth or our own booth, definitely coordinating all the individuals that are going – some sponsored; some not – and look at an effort to actually impress upon people that in our sessions – if many of us are in sessions, then we should have brochures at those sessions, also at the booth, and also any kind of lightning talks that we're doing and any kind of activities that will actually accentuate the fact of what we're doing. So that's just a really quick overview. We can flesh out what activities we need to do in terms of the actual event, but I think Olivier probably has an additional comment. Olivier, please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much, Glenn. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. I just wanted to point you out to Tatiana's notes in the chat. From the NCUC perspective, that they had help from ICANN but they did a lot on their own and they took the initiative to have the booth, themselves. And Adam was ready to help them with everything. At the end of the day,

we need to choose whether we want to go and have our own booths or have the work onto the ICANN booth. If we go into the ICANN booth, I might say that I have no idea what the rules of engagement are with the ICANN booth. To me, it looked more like a private meeting room for many of the Board members, because they seemed to be using their desks and not particularly welcome, in that this looked like closed meetings, so one couldn't hang about in the booth. It was just a little bizarre. But – yeah, so we need to choose one or the other – independent or with that – and once we go ahead with that, let's just proceed forward with getting a booth and organizing ourselves and not just waiting for someone else to do it for us. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: [CROSSTALK] Daniel, are you still on the call?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yes, I'm back on the call.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Have we lost Glenn?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hold on, Daniel; this is Dev. I think we may have lost Glenn. Glenn, are you on the call?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, I am.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh, good.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Hi, Dev. Glenn is on the [inaudible], trying to dial out at the moment.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, I'm here. Hello?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev [CROSSTALK] Glenn, [inaudible] see you and continue on the phone bridge.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I walked away from my computer; I'm sorry. The interpreters were having an issue with my laptop speakers and audio, so I'm on the phone. Is my audio okay now?

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Yes, much better. Thank you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So again, I don't want to beat a dead horse. Like Olivier said, yes; it was really bad optics in terms of what space they had. Yes, the NCUC space was absolutely spot-on in terms of what you were doing and the results were there. I guess what I'm saying in terms of this proposal, I'm

looking for feedback – any additional suggestions – in terms of what we’re going to be doing there. I think we need to get our act together in terms of submission of proposals. Like most of us that were on the call today – Maureen, myself, Olivier, Dev, and Satish – all were in one panel, but I think many, many panels are open to us in terms of potential. We’ve got to get the proposal of the mag. There’s a bunch of stuff that we will need to do in association with that. But I strongly think that this is an opportunity that we missed, but it would be folly for us not to submit something. So, that’s my general comment.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev, this is Heidi Ullrich. [CROSSTALK]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, I think [inaudible]. Glenn, there are three persons in the queue. There’s John Laprise, there’s Daniel, and Heidi.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Who was first? Is that John – you were first – and then Heidi?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think John, Daniel, then Heidi.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Go ahead, John.

JOHN LAPRISE: John Laprise, for the record. I think a booth is a very strong way to go forward on this. I've interacted with the IGF secretary before on this. I was [inaudible] Chair for Giganet for two years, and interacting with the secretary to get space for events is easy, if just time-consuming. So getting your space in the international village is a great outreach thing, and it's something we should be doing; and this is a good proposal. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. Heidi, you're next.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much, Glenn. Daniel, sorry if I'm jumping the queue, here. Sorry I've come in a little late, and I'm just looking at this right here. I think it is getting there. Number one, I would ask that you put in a note that you will be collaborating closely with GSE and Government Engagement all the way through. I think that will help get this through, and I'm very happy to have At-Large staff facilitate that.

I see that you have mentioned, Glenn, that there would be several panels. If you could definitely put that into the proposal as well - that it's not just about getting outreach for the [inaudible] - definitely about increasing the ability for At-Large to share the end user perspective at the IGF through panels, I think that would be important as well.

I note that you mentioned metrics about five ALSes, but I think it would also be very important to make sure that there's a session or a classroom where the capacity-building that you've mentioned - and

note that – is that just for new ALSes, or is that for all At-Large members and others that are there at the IGF that would like to learn more about At-Large? And then, maybe think about, finally, the sustainability of this. How can the impact of going here as a larger group have a sustained impact for At-Large? Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Heidi. Excellent feedback. I think we're going full circle back to Daniel. Daniel, are you back on [inaudible]?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yes. No, I'm on the dial-out of the call.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yes? Okay. Can everyone hear?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry. Daniel, you didn't [inaudible]

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Your comments. Go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can. [CROSSTALK]

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Daniel Nanghaka, for the record. Following the previous outreach that we had in [inaudible], we had Global Engagement at the booth. And following the IGF, I can see outreach and engagement being a very key thing, the fact that the outreach team will be collaborating with different Working Groups who have more [inaudible] within the whole thing. And the proposal clearly brings out that, because of being [inaudible] the Co-Chairs to see how we can maximize the potential at the IGF. Yes, I have [inaudible] the fact that CROPP funds are available. But if the RALO replaces the CROPP funds, it will [inaudible] into the stakeholders in that respective region. And if the IGF [inaudible] full of the [inaudible]. So to be able to increase this, we do not [inaudible] that the core objective of ICANN is [inaudible]. But through engaging the [inaudible] stakeholders, At-Large [inaudible] come in and reach out to potential key stakeholders to show them the [inaudible] that is within the ICANN [inaudible], which it really [inaudible]. And it would be a very good thing for it to happen. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much, Daniel. I believe Renata is in the queue.
Renata?

Renata? Okay, Dev. Back to you. I thought Renata was going to –
maybe she’s muted.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. I believe Renata may be on the other language channel.
Renata, if you can hear us, please speak.

RENATA AQUINO RIBEIRO: This is Renata speaking. Yes.

UNKNOWN 1: We can hear you; go ahead.

RENATA AQUINO RIBEIRO: Thank you.

UNKNOWN 1: Renata, we do not hear you.

RENATA AQUINO RIBEIRO: This is Renata speaking. Thank you very much. We know that At-Large
is organized to have different activities, so I believe that the
opportunities that we had in 2016 were very good, and we can do
outreach now – together with the ICANN Board – perhaps we can

organize small talks or small interventions. But the most important thing here, I believe, is that we have to think about our users, end-users. Now, at the IGF, we have many activities; so we have to make our voice heard at an international level, so that we can get more participants – more English-speaking participants and more participants from other countries. It is important to take this into account, and of course, it is also important to share information about ICANN to do proper outreach. So it is important to acknowledge that we have these users, and we have to involve people in this process, as well.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you.

RENATA AQUINO RIBEIRO: Of course, this takes time, as we know. But we can make the most of these activities. And of course, the idea is to have the resources, the proper resources to do our outreach. So, that is what I wanted to say. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Renata. Thanks everybody, for putting some comments in, and I think Maureen's made a really good point. I don't know if she can be voiced, but she's talking about a targeted piece of literature to the IGF attendees. Particularly, I was thinking of the ISOC ambassadors, the IGF fellows, the newbies, the newcomers – but it's something. Perhaps we can expand what our deliverables are, that we can actually design a piece that is very much of a "get-to-know-us,"

that's targeted to the IGF people. Any new comments, anyone? And then I'm back to you, Dev.

I don't see anyone else. Anyone on [inaudible]? Alan again, please.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. I think the details of the proposal are going to have to be looked at very carefully. For instance, there's a target of five new ALSes. By the time the IGF runs or comes around, we don't have a clue what's going to happen as the outcome of the review, and whether ALSes are still being a major target, or something that is deemphasized. I think that the chances of getting this funded with a lot of travel included is not nearly as large as if we focus the overall issue of awareness of At-Large within ICANN. This, I think, is a multi-year effort. I think we've got to get our foot in the game to start with, before we ask for too much, or we're likely to not get it funded, at all. That's a somewhat pragmatic position – not necessarily what I would like to see, but I think we have to be realistic. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thanks, Alan. Dev? Back to you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks, Glenn; and thanks, everyone, for the comments on this. So, just to confirm: Glenn, has this document circulated to the Outreach and Engagement list?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Let me – to respond – it’s Glenn, for the record. Let me take these comments that I and others have done, and Daniel, and try to flesh it a little bit. Then I’ll fire it off to Heidi to make sure I’m catching her concepts correctly, and then I’ll send it off to the list. It needs some refinement after today’s call.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Indeed. So I guess we can [inaudible] that as Action Item for you to update the document in coordination with Staff; and then once that’s finished, then please re-post the draft to the outreach community.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Lovely. Okay. Thank you very much for that. And thanks, everyone, again, for the comments on this. I think this proposal [inaudible] as much as it’s greatly needed.

So, the next item on our agenda is what we will be doing for outreach at the ICANN 58 meeting. This is going to be in Copenhagen, Denmark, and it’s going to be literally in March. So it’s actually not that much time between now and ICANN 58.

So, the question then remains as to what we can do – as what we have done in Morocco, Finland, and Hyderabad – what can be done for ICANN 58? And now, I’d like to turn it over to Olivier, who has started the discussion happening in EURALO and, I believe, has gotten some

feedback – not just from the Co-Chairs, but from other persons in ICANN. Olivier? Are you there to take the floor?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Dev. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Yes, I was going to just bring you up-to-date on my last update that we had in one of our recent calls. So, as you know, ICANN 58 is coming up, and so EURALO will be having to host a number of things over there. We had a number of discussions about what should take place. Obviously, outreach, engagement, and capacity building, and all of this – and engaging the local community – is all [inaudible] program. One thing that I have noted from the past is that we've duplicated our resources. So the Capacity-Building Working Group was on one side and was doing some capacity-building with one group, and then ICANN Staff – Adam and Jean-Jacques – were working on another thing with the local hosts. And then aside from this, our Outreach and Engagement Working Group was doing something in its own self. And then, NCUC, NCSG, and other parts of ICANN were doing their own thing, and we all ended up walking on each other's toes, and sometimes duplicating activities, and not getting the message across to the fellows, to the NextGen, to all of the people that are coming into ICANN and wanting to learn more, and finally getting a very confused view of the whole thing, because there are so many things going on in parallel, which clash with each other.

So, I've sent this email out to various – well, to all of the parts that I've just mentioned here – and I've started to have some responses from the various component parts. First, on the ability to have a Copenhagen pre-event event. There is some discussion going on as to perhaps there

could be a pre-even event a few weeks before Copenhagen, or there could be one on Day 0 or even Day 1. I understand from the current block schedule that Day 1 is the day that has the Outreach component part. So we could do some kind of event on that day, that would be solely based on sort of focusing on outreach. Things are still moving around. There is, really, I think – any event would need to include local hosts. And that’s where we are at the moment. There’s some movement that needs to be made with having the locals involved. When it comes down to outreach, we could go and visit a university. I know that [inaudible] is working with the Global Stakeholder Engagement, so Jean-Jacques and Adam and various people are working together to see if there are universities that are not too far. Obviously, going across town to visit people and then across town back, and making it this both a time-consuming and costly affair, is probably not the best use of our time and day. But if there’s something around the corner and we have identified the right people to go and talk to, then that would be a good thing.

I cringe when I hear that there is no need to do outreach in Europe, because you just turn around to anyone in the street and you ask them about ICANN, and they’ll turn around and say, “What is that?” They have no idea, in the same way as anyone else around the world. There’s very little knowledge about what is ICANN, and what they do – and especially not about At-Large and the fact that end users and people are able to take part in the processes of ICANN. So, that’s one thing that we could do.

Another thing that we can do, of course – and I’m hoping that we can coordinate with the Capacity-Building Working Group – is to have some

capacity-building work taking place over there; either at lunchtime or as part of those Day 1 sessions, or throughout the week. And I'd like to throw the door open for discussions on this. I don't know if Tijani is on the call at present for this; I don't see him in the lineup. And then, we have the usual showcase that we usually have, and that's a little different this year, I guess. We've already had such events in the past. The last EURALO event, which I thought was quite well put together, was the one which was the European stakeholders and EURALO in Dublin. We could have something similar to this. Still, it needs to be discussed.

One of the potential things that could be celebrated would be a signature – signing of an [inaudible] between RIPE and [inaudible] and EURALO. There is some discussion going on about this, and RIPE is feeling quite positive about proceeding with this, but obviously, we need to cross the t's and dot the i's before moving forward on this. But we could actually use that as a five-minute add-on and a cocktail immediately afterwards. And I think that, having spoken to Jean-Jacques Sahel just before this call, he mentioned that there could be some kind of European event that would not just be a cocktail, but actually a discussion of issues that are taking place in Europe. As you know, if you look at the Internet governance train, Europe is quite far in front of the cutting-edge issues – the things that are really hitting the world head-on are usually found as part of the discussions that we're having: obviously, the new gTLDs, the accountability track; but human rights are very strong in Europe, as well, and we have all of the new investigatory powers in laws that you find around Europe at the moment. That could also be an interesting topic, as long as it relates to,

of course, the ICANN remit. But there's so much that could be discussed here, going further, than just a cocktail.

Finally – and I'd like to open the floor to suggestions and things – I know that we have Tatiana on the call; I have been in touch with NCUC on this and sharing with them as well, what we're looking at doing. So, the same email that I sent with everyone else. And they'd be interested in doing joint outreach with us – “with us” as being EURALO. So, EURALO-NCUC outreach, I've put this on the table, as well. I think it would be great, and certainly it would reduce the number of voices that are being – to address the fellows, to address the NextGen – that are all separate, and finally those people get completely confused about our mixed messages. If we can align messages and work together, it would be absolutely great. That's all I have at the moment. I'm sure I've forgotten things, so I'm hoping that Jean-Jacques or Tatiana or anyone else who I have emailed can add on and rectify what I've forgotten. Thanks.

And am I running the queue now, or how does it work?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. You can run the queue now, Olivier. Alright, so Tatiana is in the queue, and Renata also wants to speak. So, Tatiana, then Renata, then myself.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thanks a lot. Tatiana Tropina is speaking, for the record, and I hope you can hear me well. When we got the email from Olivier, we thought that

the joint outreach of EURALO and NCUC might be a good idea. Also because I was in the group of NCUC, folks who did ICANN outreach event in Geneva [inaudible] together with Olivier. And I think – and we all think – that it worked very well, because instead of confusing people with different ICANN structures, we shared the similarities, we shared the differences, and we shared the perspectives and the processes. So I think that if we go for this joint outreach, it will reduce the number of duplications and confusions, as well, because we do have some overlapping audience, like for example, academia, or civil society organizations. It will be good to bring them together and explain to them what they can do as end-users, as ALAC structures; how they can get involved with both ALAC and NCUC – sorry, EURALO and NCUC – and how they can get themselves acquainted with different policies, processes, and so on.

So, if EURALO decides to make a joint outreach with NCUC, we would be welcoming this idea and we would already have some suggestions on how to structure the sessions, how to mobilize local communities, whom to invite – so we are ready to discuss. Not only to discuss, but [inaudible] something on the table to discuss. Of course, it's up to ALAC or EURALO to decide, but I think we have to decide quickly, since we have to submit the request by the 16th of January. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Tatiana. Next is Renata.

RENATA AQUINO RIBEIRO: This is Renata speaking. Thank you very much. I wanted to make a comment regarding the ALAC outreach. So, we would like you to take into account Spain and Portugal, because we have people at ICANN who are very active, and they are involved in the outreach activities, and some of them are not. We have people that might contribute who might be taken as references for these activities. For example, have people in the different ministries, we have people in Spain, so we can work with them and work together so that we can organize activities and improve outreach. Thank you very much. And before ending my comment, I would like to say that we have some other people working with us like Eileen and [inaudible]. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Renata. Next is Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. Just quickly, just to follow what Tatiana said regarding NCUC. I think, yes, I fully agree that we need to work smarter, not harder, with everybody working in their own silos. So, I think a coordinated approach I think is, indeed, is very welcome; and so, I welcome the idea that I think that you mentioned that ICANN itself is looking to do some sort of pre-ICANN meeting [inaudible], and we need to be very involved in that.

My comments are probably two comments, really. One, I guess, is what exactly are the outreach materials that you need for such a session? I think we're all aware of that we have an ALAC presentation that we give to the NextGen students that was done for Finland, and we [inaudible] it

and it was done for Hyderabad. So, we might want to take a look at that presentation and see – is this sufficient? Is there something that’s actually more needed? What other documents or slides are needed? So, I think that’s probably something that we need to do. There’s not much time, so we need to look at such materials. That’s my key concern.

Just noting that from the stakeholder analysis too, there are no At-Large structures in Denmark. So, I think we really should – this is a prime opportunity to try to get an At-Large structure, or an At-Large individual member at least involved in the ICANN community. So, I think before the ICANN pre-meeting – I don’t know what else to call it – the ICANN pre-meeting in Copenhagen, we should look to really identify those potential At-Large members and reach out to them, and [inaudible] so that they could be – we can follow up with them directly. That’s it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much for this, Dev. It’s Olivier speaking. Yes, one of the things which I had laid out in the email was to look at the list of fellows and the list of NextGen and identify these people prior to their even arriving in Copenhagen and already feed them with information about what we do and things. So, that’s one of the things that certainly can be done. We’ve got the, as you say, here we go – ICANN Stakeholder Analysis Tool. That would be really helpful for this.

So, that’s where we are at the moment. I note that Glenn is saying that – how can you help with the outreach? Well, at present, I’m kind of waiting to hear back from Jean-Jacques on what the overall various

plans are. We need to have an overall view of progress everywhere, and I really don't know where we are. At present, it's still early days, so we will find out shortly, I should say. But for the time being, really, it was just an update to let you know how we are and how we can move forward on this, and I'm hoping that we can have a common mailing list, or a common list of people where we can get capacity-building built on one side, the customers on the other, and everyone on all the different parts.

I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so Dev, I know there's some discussion going on here.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. It think that there was a query from [inaudible] – just to confirm what was discussed earlier regarding finance and budget subcommittee requests. These are for – and I think it was mentioned that the deadline is January 16th. But that deadline is for – how should I put it – for the next fiscal year. So, this is something that we have to craft and look with Jean-Jacques Sahel, Adam [inaudible], and At-Large Staff, to try and coordinate this ICANN pre-meeting, and so forth. It's not – so that's just one clarification.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, I think – it's Olivier speaking – I think what Tatiana was saying was that there is a deadline for room bookings and things on the 16th of this month. Isn't that correct, Tatiana?

TATIANA TROPINA: Yes, Olivier, it's absolutely correct – sorry, Tatiana Tropina is speaking, for the record – and that's how we understood this – at least, the NCUC, which I'm representing here as the European representative on the executive committee – understood that on the 16th of January, we have to submit room requests, sessions proposals, including outreach proposals. If it's not true, if we have more time, more room, and more flexibility, of course we'll be welcoming these. But I think if there's a hard deadline, we shall not miss it. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks for this. Alright, back to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, so thanks, Olivier. This is Dev. Thanks for reaching out and trying to coordinate all of these different threads and trying to pull them together. I believe that there's going to be a call next week with Jean-Jacques Sahel, I believe. Is that correct, Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I do not know yet if there will be a call – sorry, it's Olivier speaking, sorry – I don't know yet if there will be a call with Jean-Jacques as such, but Jean-Jacques mentioned in the chat that as soon as the plans are firmer, they will notify us about any pre-events and any Day 0 events. We have to put our minds together with NCUC to – if we can – to basically try and think of what we want to do for outreach and make a proposal on this. Jean-Jacques will come back to us to let us know if there are any universities that we can talk to or anyone that will be invited to come

over, and we have to get Tijani to – and work with Tijani for a capacity-building program there for European stakeholders. I think that these are the various problems that we need to work on.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks for this, Olivier. This is Dev again. I've just put the link in here for outreach activities for ICANN 58, which is the Wiki page, to track all of these ideas, and so forth. Right now it's currently blank, so it needs content. I think some of these ideas that have already been mentioned can be added to the Wiki page. Of course, other persons can make [inaudible] ideas and contributions and comments, accordingly, regarding outreach at ICANN 58.

Okay, so – alright, seeing no further questions on this, and we do have a few more minutes, although we do have a hard stop at the top of the hour. I just want to take a quick look at the Outreach and Engagement page, where I put the immediate Work Items and Objectives. So, we've looked at two of them – the possible FY 18 budget requests, and also the work on the outreach activities for ICANN 58. There's probably two or three or four other things that are on that list, and I just want to quickly go over them as to what they are.

One – and this is a note for all of the RALOs – to seek and find outreach events for At-Large to add to our outreach calendar. So, the outreach calendars are crucial to identifying potential outreach events, so that we look and then apply for using the CROPP program. But given the CROPP guidelines, CROPP proposals need to be submitted and approved six weeks before the travel can take place. So, early identification of these

outreach events is crucial. I would like to ask again [inaudible] yourself and keep promoting and asking your RALOs on your monthly calls, on the mailing list, to please send us events so that they can be added to the calendar. All of the Outreach and Engagement members should have editing rights to the calendar, and an email was sent to the list identifying how you can access the credentials for the outreach calendar.

The next Work Item is the community onboarding project for At-Large. This is something that myself, [inaudible], and Isaac have been working on. We presented some preliminary documentation on community onboarding, and on the next call, we will likely have a presentation from [inaudible] and Isaac on this topic. I've pasted a link there for you to be able to investigate and to be able to [inaudible] their [inaudible] so far. That's two things.

The presentation regarding the meeting with the NextGen – the question is, should we all continue to do that for the next ICANN 58 meeting? And here's the link to that presentation. We have [inaudible] feedback from the ICANN [inaudible] meeting, and we made some [inaudible]. I would love to get some feedback. Was that session useful? Was it good? What can be added? What can be moved? What can be improved with these presentations?

Next would be the ongoing collaboration and participations in ICANN's civil society approach. And again, some of the topics that are coming up for ICANN 58 in terms of what materials and coordinating better, etcetera. I think some of those things will bode well for the civil society approach. We want to ensure that the documentation that ICANN puts

forward represents a proper – represents all of the different opportunities that are available for civil society, which includes At-Large.

And I think I'll just stop there. Are there any other issues or topics that we need to add to this [inaudible]? We have about five minutes. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. On the issue of that ICANN Stakeholder Analysis Tool – on two different ICANN meetings, it was brought up by the community that we shouldn't be doing it, that it should be Staff. I believe it was an Action Item, but I don't recall what the status is. The last time we garnered the last set of fellows and we put it into the model, so can we get an update on that, Dev, and who's taking care of it?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

This is Dev. I have not really been contacted by anyone from Staff, so I suspect that's where – we should; you're right – I think we do need to – we can put that as an Action Item for myself to coordinate with At-Large Staff on how the tool can be maintained.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Dev, this is Heidi. Please take a look at what Janice has written in the chat.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. I've seen that. Well, perhaps then [inaudible] for the fellowship, so it is slightly different from what the Stakeholder Analysis Tool is. It doesn't track just the fellowships. But that would still be a very interesting tool to look at. So, Janice, perhaps – I don't know if you'd be able to do it in time for the next call – but perhaps we can do a call in February to look at this Fellowship Database Tool that you all put together. Would that be okay?

I see a check mark from Cheryl, but hopefully I get a check mark from Janice [inaudible] Cheryl – lovely. So, we can add that as an Action Item for the call in February to look at the Fellowship Tool put together by ICANN Staff. Okay.

Alright, so jumping back again to Glenn regarding the Stakeholder Analysis Tool, which is the Google Sheet. Let's have an Action Item for us to discuss – myself, with Staff – how this tool can be maintained by ICANN Staff. Alright?

Okay. Anything else? Is there anything else that we should be doing? The floor is open, and we have five more minutes left. Going once, going twice, okay. I do have one idea, and I'm just going to throw it out there for something. After we look at the material for the community onboarding, I would like to first suggest that perhaps what we can do – something the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee can do – is to send an email or survey to the At-Large Structure representatives to ask if they can recommend a person that can attend some sort of training or that has some sort of interest in ICANN. And then what we can do is, once [inaudible] the person, if this person [inaudible] that are not the At-Large Structure representatives; these are person in structures that

have yet to be involved in ICANN. We can [inaudible] and then based on that, we can then look and try to structure some possible calls with them explaining what is ICANN, explaining what is At-Large, and so forth. So that's my idea on that. Brief initial thoughts on this before we close the call? And I'll probably post [inaudible] to the [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you, Dev. Just a couple of points on that. The first one is that I don't know if we would need a survey to ask the ALS reps to ask who in their ALS is interested in training. That's probably just an email to them. Keeping in mind that some ALSes, it might be the same person. And then, secondly, I'm just concerned about having any kind of duplication of efforts. We already have the capacity-building series of webinars, and we're still trying to get more people – not the regulars – on that call. So I'm wondering if we might work with the Capacity-Building Working Group to have a webinar on that topic that you presented. Maybe just work with Tijani to get more people onto that call – onto the webinars. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Heidi; this is Dev. I was just thinking that one of the discussions at the Hyderabad meeting was that there needs to be outreach to the ALSes, themselves, and I believe it was unanimously passed. So, I guess I'm just looking at [inaudible] how do we make this a reality? And I'm thinking that this is the way to do it. Just ask the ALS reps, you know, and we can post this publicly on social media, and so on. If you have any big interest in ICANN and want to take part in this series of webinars, series of courses – whatever we want to call it – please put your name forward. And it's really that way I was thinking of triggering that. It's not meant for the ALS representatives that are already aware of what ICANN is and what At-Large is, presumably, but for those new persons that have no idea. But we can work on this after the call.

Okay, we have one more minute left, so I think that we can probably – and I do know that we have a hard stop. So I'd like to thank – I'm not seeing anybody raising their hand, so I'd like to thank everybody on this call. Thanks, Glenn, for working on this proposal and Olivier for pulling together the multiple threads of outreach at ICANN 58. So, I would like to acknowledge and thank everybody. We have a call next week, so I look forward to seeing you on that call, and this call is now adjourned. Thank you all.

UNKNOWN 2: Thank you very much. Bye-bye.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Have a wonderful [inaudible].

UNKNOWN 3: Thank you. Good night, good morning, and [inaudible].

YEŞİM NAZLAR: This meeting is now adjourned. Thank you very much for your participation, and have a lovely rest of the day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]