

---

RECORDED VOICE: This meeting is now being recorded.

RAFIK DAMMAK: Thanks. So, thanks everyone, for showing up for today's call. This is our first call this year. I would like first to wish you a happy New Year, and the best wishes for this year. And hopefully, we will do a lot of things in the Diversity Subgroup. So, for the agenda, as you can see, it's really a continuation of what we were doing on the last call in December, and the focus is on the draft questionnaire.

And I would like to thank all those who volunteered to participate in the drafting. And looking for their participation to continue a new version of the questionnaire. And then we will move to the discussion topic about the [INAUDIBLE] document.

But first, let's review the action items from the last call. Okay. So, as you can see, there are still some items open, and email any progress. So, we will invite the staff to discuss the correction. Hopefully we are scheduling that for the next call next week.

We will confirm with the staff about their availability. For the other items, we got several volunteers for the draft questions, and so we will follow up after the call to work with them, and have a new version in the coming days. And also, we have for the other items, regarding the [INAUDIBLE] document.

First, we didn't really make so much progress, since we had the holidays, but we are resuming the discussion, and looking forward to

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

make huge progress within this month. Okay, just checking. Fiona, can you speak, or you still have problem with your phone?

FIONA ASONGA: I can speak.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Oh. So, over to you then.

FIONA ASONGA: Okay. We were able before the break, the holiday break, we were able to put together a questionnaire. And during the last discussion, we agreed that we would do our best to reduce the questions to about five or so questions. And we asked for a team to volunteer to consolidate the questions.

Are all the questions appropriate? So, that we would then have fewer and clearer questions. And I think we do have a list of volunteers. I don't think they've been able to work on anything because we have just [INAUDIBLE] of being clear on where we are.

When it is possible to have those questions on the screen? Everyone can have a look at them. And our team of volunteers are currently consisting of [INAUDIBLE], of Renata Aquino, and then we've got volunteers from the GAC working group on the underserved areas, Alice Munyua, and I think the name is [INAUDIBLE].

You'll have to excuse me if I don't get it right. So, we've got a team of five—four, and it's being supported by Julia from ICANN staff, who's going to give any support they need so that they can clean up the questionnaire. Rafik and I shall join them and work with them for the next couple of days to just get that questionnaire tidy.

I'm seeing a lot of people on the call who are not there through the month of December. We did have—we've had up to three discussion on questions and areas that were popular, any kind of the [INAUDIBLE]. And there are some of those that we are [INAUDIBLE].

That should give us the data on where are the differences, and if there are some issues [INAUDIBLE]. And that should then give us the position of how diversity [INAUDIBLE] and the other areas that we are not too clear. And I think today we shall be having our top review of the performance.

Before we get to that, is any questions regarding—or any comments regarding the questions that were proposed? Especially from those who are joining us [INAUDIBLE] in Hyderabad. So, we have up to 19 people watching this. We'd appreciate your input.

Any comments? The floor is open. Alright, taking that we have no comments, and therefore we should get this over to the [INAUDIBLE] working group. Any comments? I don't see any hands. So, I will assume then that we're in agreement.

Oh, Pam is making comments I see, and she's saying that—that she's [INAUDIBLE]. Okay, thanks, Pam. She says she drafted the regarding questions, responding to the comment. Okay. There have been no other

---

---

comments. I see the drafting team; the drafting team will make [INAUDIBLE] how to best move the discussions. Rafik, you have a comment?

RAFIK DAMMAK:

Thanks, Fiona. So, I think we've got some comments on the last call, and we can come back to the notes. And there was a discussion about really downsizing the number of questions. So, that's something we should have in mind with the drafting team. So, we got some questions here in this draft, but I think we are aiming to limit the number in order to be effective and get meaningful response from the SOs and ACs too. That's it. Just I want to kind of remind about this. Thanks.

FIONA ASONGA

Thanks, Rafik, for that clarification. Any other comments? The team who has volunteered to help us with the drafting, any questions? Or you need to clarify? Is anyone on the call from the—

Adebunmi Akinbo:

I'm not on the team. I need to know that I'm in the room.

FIONA ASONGA: Sorry, who's speaking?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER:

Adebunmi Akinbo

FIONA ASONGA: Okay. Akinbo?

ADEBUNMI AKINBO: Yea, information. I listened a long time in the meeting on muted, and I think [INAUDIBLE] not to forget unmute the other phones in the meeting.

FIONA ASONGA: Thanks for that. We'll ask Brenda to help you with that. Okay. Having no questions, further questions or comments on the questionnaire? I aim to open up the floor for feedback and input on the [INAUDIBLE] document. And the stuff [INAUDIBLE] so that they can have a group call on the—and discuss the questions so that you can have the final completed questionnaire by the time we are having our next call next week.

That will be very helpful. Okay, I hope that everyone has had a chance to read through the version of the strawman. Rafik and I have not been able to work [INAUDIBLE]. And we will do that in the next couple of days so by the time we have the next call we will have a new document with your input.

Rachel Pollack, you have commented in the chat, and it a general comment, "The new bylaw provision mentioned cultural diversity on the internet. It might be helpful to recall that this mission of cultural diversity in the [INAUDIBLE] convention on diversity of cultural

---

expression.” And you’ve given us a link for that. Thank you, Rachel. And thanks for putting in the section.

RAFIK DAMMAK:

Hi, Fiona, I raised my hand. Okay, I wanted to thank Rachel for sharing the document and definition. I do think it’s quite important to look at that because in some discussion, in [INAUDIBLE] there was a mention of cultural diversity. And I do think we have some—to be careful sometimes about using some definition, and to be fair, to kind of more efficient document in reference.

So, if we [INAUDIBLE] trying to maybe bring some concept, I think, to be fair, to this definition. It would be helpful to get some understanding, and so, this one of them, which is about cultural diversity, and I guess we can look at it and see how much is relevant to our discussions. That’s it.

FIONA ASONGA:

Thanks, Rafik. I think that is quite agreeable, unless anyone is of another opinion. Because that brings up the element of culture that we have not particularly mentioned in the [INAUDIBLE]. Any other comments on the [INAUDIBLE]?

RAFIK DAMMAK:

It’s me again, Fiona. I think [INAUDIBLE] put some comment, but it’s French, so I’m maybe trying to kind of translate that on the fly. So, what he’s saying is that for him, diversity is important and mandatory for the involvement of the community and development of ICANN.

---

For example, for him coming from a foreign country, it's sometimes difficult to get the community—to get the local community involved, and that seems the most of the documentation are in English. So, if we want to get the non-English speaker community involved, he's suggesting to continue the policy of translating all documents to other languages. So, I think he's making the point about ICANN material translation here. So, thanks.

FIONA ASONGA:

Any other comments? Comments on this [INAUDIBLE]? Probably let me just highlight a few things that came up in our last discussion—previous discussion of the [INAUDIBLE] that may generate some additional feedback and responses. Some of the things that came through, all that's needed to add skills as a separate element of diversity, because it is important for us to have a variety of skills within ICANN.

There's also the feedback that we need to feed the possibilities of having meetings ran in different languages so that the meeting is not in English but look at the possibility of having it ran in French, or Spanish, or Portuguese, one of the other languages, one of the seven languages that ICANN is able to support.

And then give the natives of that language the benefits of understanding better, and then getting better in the discussions. We agreed to look into how the leadership of ICANN reflects diversity. And being able to have a clear distinction between gender identity and sexual orientation, and not getting the two mixed up.

So then, we focus on the gender identity as opposed to the sexual orientation of ICANN participants, and then should have a policy at ICANN that is progressive on gender issues and open on the different positions so that everybody feels welcome.

We did agree that ICANN data on age was difficult to get. There's no public data on age, and we're supposed to have a person at ICANN staff probably at the next meeting, [INAUDIBLE] ICANN staff come in with us and discuss the meeting issues that came up, in terms of challenged participants, how many challenged participants attend the meetings?

What kind of assistance that they then have to provide for them? The issues of meetings and languages, and having the sessions adjusted somewhat. And also, how ICANN handles the data that it collects during registration. The past discussion, second discussion in the format [INAUDIBLE] the questionnaires and the role of the ACs and SOs, or how they both handle within ACs and SOs.

Where do the ACs and SOs stand? What can be the next steps that they would consider important in regards to improving diversity within the respective structures? We discussed about how data is captured and how that data is processed so that it can be able to provide appropriate guidelines to make the right policy decisions on issues that are related to diversity within ICANN.

And we agreed that diversity guidelines may need to—whichever diversity guidelines we develop for ICANN needs to be relevant and add value so that we are impacting positively on the community as a whole and enabling everybody to participate and to engage.

---



---

We agreed to invite Chris [INAUDIBLE] and [INAUDIBLE] to join the meeting. We haven't end up with them. They've been available, but we're going to do that. So, I think that there are some pending things from our previous discussions that Rafik and Dalila need to pull up from, and that is getting the respective ICANN staff to come in and brief us on how they handle some of the things that we need them to clarify.

Respectively, there is a meeting team. I think this team we will be talking to, and then there is BPRSB and [INAUDIBLE] is the person who shall be looking for to come in. So, we will reach out to them and they should join us at the next call to discuss with us on issues of diversity.

We are yet to finalize on regional, what is geographic diversity? We had a long discussion on this in the [INAUDIBLE], and I think it is important for us to—we did not quite complete the because from what I understood, the geographic diversity comes as a result of government agreements on the geographic spaces.

The regional is where you typically find yourself as a result of the region that you are living in. And I think we need to—regions are given an example of the Amazon region, Sahara, Africa, rural areas, and things like that. I think we need to agree on geographic regional representation, how we put it.

Because if you look at—if you look at our document, we mentioned geographic representation. That is already put. Now we realized we need to change that, and we're changing that, then we can meet to regional represent. But that's a corporate meet, not what you want to achieve.

---

And so, with that, yes, I'm seeing hands going up. And that is the summary of the last three meetings for the [INAUDIBLE]. So, I'll open up the floor for comments and further discussion on this, and I welcome Dalila.

DALILA RAHMOUNI: Yes, do you hear me?

FIONA ASONGA: Yes, I can hear you.

DALILA RAHMOUNI: Thank you, Fiona. Thank you very much, and happy New Year to all. And I don't know if the group is interested my sharing the paper I presented in the name of many stakeholders during the last talk of Helsinki. This paper is in English and French, and Arabic and Spanish.

Proposal the creation of an Office of Diversity within the ICANN, with two missions. First, the first mission of the office would be to gather and analyze data regarding diversity, and the second mission would be to propose concrete proposal to enhance diversity within the ICANN.

And I'm [INAUDIBLE], and I stated that the organization that implement diversity strategy. Many of them decided to create such an office to enhance the diversity. I don't know if the group is interested by sharing this paper.

---

FIONA ASONGA: Dalila, we had circulated your paper earlier. We are going to circulate it again.

DALILA RAHMOUNI: Yes, it would be good to have it, because I think many members are new members in the group. During December, two or three persons joined the group. I think it would be great to share the document.

FIONA ASONGA: Yes, we will share it. Because one of the things that you are expected to accomplish as part of this working stream, or working group on diversity, is to identify possible structures that could follow for multi-support the strengthening of diversity within ICANN.

So out of your document, right from the onset, I think that is what something had fixed. What we have not done with this is put it into the [INAUDIBLE] because on the [INAUDIBLE], we were basically just first getting everybody to agree on what are the elements of diversity.

Which ones are measurable? Which ones are not? How do we differentiate the different elements of diversity? So, we are still at the preliminary levels of the discussion in terms of coming to a consensus on elements of diversity.

DALILA RAHMOUNI: But the [INAUDIBLE] document will be presented to the group and then to the CCWG, and I think that the structure promotes us to define diversity, to collect the data, and I think it is important to introduce the

---

notion of having a permanent structure, I call it office but it can be another title, in the [INAUDIBLE] document.

FIONA ASONGA:

Actually, the [INAUDIBLE] document is a discussion document. We, Rafik and I, will compile—we'll compile our reports and we already have from the CCWG co-chairs, all the working groups have got a structure template we need to use for reporting.

So, we will set the [INAUDIBLE], and check all the other input that we have collected in terms of relevance, papers that members of the group have shared. We will compile our report, and that is what you will see to the full CCWG.

DALILA RAHMOUNI:

Okay.

FIONA ASONGA:

That document is still very much alive, and is active in this discussion. We just haven't got in the discussion to get to where we are now looking at the different structures. So, if you look through the [INAUDIBLE], if you are able to scroll off the top of it, on the top bullet, the important elements of diversity that need to be identified, then also the second element in terms of diversity review.

And that is where we are asking how do we measure? Which are the elements and how do we measure? By the time we go to those bullets, we shall have incorporated everything that we have gotten so far. So,

---

your input is still very much alive, because we are on bullet one, two, and then during the questionnaire, which is bullet three.

Then after we get the feedback from the stakeholders, from the ACs and SOs, and the—yeah, we'll put stakeholders, then we shall use that alongside what you have proposed to see which structures, and have a discussion around the structures.

So, we have still got a bit of—we say today that this is I think the first time [INAUDIBLE] part of this that we have in the past. If we agree on this call, now we can move on with the questionnaire, what's on the questionnaire, which are the [INAUDIBLE], we get the questionnaire ready and have it out.

We get feedback on the questionnaire then we go back to your document. Because your documents were quite—they are quite—they have a lot of information that you can refer to. So, we are picking from your document systematically as we move along.

DALILA RAHMOUNI: Okay, thank you, Seun. Thank you very much.

FIONA ASONGA: Any other questions? Rafik?

RAFIK DAMMAK: Thanks, Seun. Maybe just—yeah. Thanks to Dalila for suggesting this idea, and just maybe want to ask her for clarification. So, this proposal is

---

not, I think, conflicting with our work in the subgroup, but just maybe if you clarify more about is the observatory expected to make proposal?

Because a subgroup, we are tasked to deliver recommendation regarding the diversity. So, just maybe if you can clarify more to avoid any kind of confusion or overlap between this idea of observatory and our own group of diversity subgroup.

DALILA RAHMOUNI:

Thank you, Rafik. Yes, it is not something contradictory. The office is a structure to help the group to define what is diversity, what are the actions for enhancing diversity. So, it is not something independent from the group, but it is to the subgroup to find a better definition of diversity, to collect data and above all, to create a permanent structure to make a notice on diversity within the ICANN structure. So, for me, it's—the office is the tool for the group to help it in its work.

FIONA ASONGA:

Rafik, any comments on that?

RAFIK DAMMAK:

Yeah. Thanks, Dalila, for the clarification. I guess we're sending again the proposal, and maybe clarifying these points will be helpful just to avoid any concerns within the subgroup. I think getting any help and support is really welcome, and I do think we may need more expert input in the coming month.

---

So, we have to be open to all the proposals that can help us in our work. So, yeah. And just maybe if you can also clarify about the steps regarding this, just maybe for taking notes. I think it was not written down. So, just to make sure that we have follow-up for this.

FIONA ASONGA:

Okay, the steps that we have been taking in terms of leading the group, that we are taking to lead the group to discussion was part to get us all on the same page in terms of agreeing on the elements of diversity. So far, we have made quite a bit of headway in that area.

The next was looking internally, within ICANN, the ACs and SOs, and the importance of diversity to them. And so, we sort of wanted to know where they are, and that is where the questionnaire for the ACs and SOs comes in, on diversity.

So, we have a drafting team put in place that we look at the questions and draft appropriate questions for issues of diversity for ACs and SOs. Then the next part is based on the feedback we get from the input, is begin to look at mechanisms related to diversity within the different ICANN groups, because we are asking each group to give us their position where they are at, what they think generally, what they think should be a way forward on diversity, and basically give their input in terms of building diversity mechanisms.

So, then we will now look at that feedback and look at what structures need to be in place that will promote and support the strengthening of diversity within ICANN. That will be a whole discussion on different

---

sources, and that is where—we are not getting in discussion right now with Dalila on whether we need this or not.

This is a proposal. We're not yet adopting. We will discuss to see do we need—is an office or structure that is suitable or not? We will discuss where diversity fits into the different reviews, accountability or policy reviews, and how to fit that into the review process.

How will we review this? How do we ensure that we are keeping an eye on diversity mechanisms and the implementation? And then we will move into the final part, which will be recommendations we will put down that should be commitments to improve diversity and ensure that the outreach and engagement that ICANN does do enhances diversity, to build up particular the mandate on what we want, on what we need to do that needs to building on.

In a nutshell, that is what will be guiding our discussion. One is done, a lot of discussion on that, and that will continue. We've begun with page two, on looking at how diversity is promoted in the SOs and ACs through the questionnaire.

Then after that is done, we will come and look at the structures, the differences. And finally, we shall be able to put together a recommendation on what ICANN needs to do to strengthen diversity. So basically, those are the four steps we are taking in getting us to be able to engage appropriately in terms of the mandate that we have from Work Stream 1. I hope that is clear. Dalila, your hand's still up?



---

DALILA RAHMOUNI: Yes.

FIONA ASONGA: Okay. You can have the floor.

DALILA RAHMOUNI: It's okay. No, no, I don't have another hand.

FIONA ASONGA: Alice Munyua? Please, have the floor.

ALICE MUNYUA: Okay, thank you very much. This is Alice Munyua, with the GAC. Happy New Year, everybody. First, apologies. I noted that reading through the documents, the GAC has been missing in terms of contribution to development of the sub working group.

And to this end, just a note to let you all know that in terms of the two documents I've noticed, one on the questionnaire and one [INAUDIBLE], the whole reason behind the recreation of the GAC and the sub-regions working group is especially specifically focused towards beginning to look at issues of enhancing issues of diversity, and specifically towards enhancing diversity at the GAC level to ensure that there's meaningful participation of the countries and governments that are missing.

I don't know if Julie has mentioned earlier, but we are working quite hard towards identifying what are the challenges that we are experiencing as governments, at the government level, so that we are

---

able to contribute more effectively, and I think that should feed very well into both responding to some of the questions and issues that the questionnaire raises and to the [INAUDIBLE] in terms of coming up with a way forward, in terms of enhancing diversity.

We are also looking at perhaps—there is a question regarding how, for example, the GAC and other AC/SOs look at regions. With the GAC, we really don't have a definition of regions, and you see that reflected in perhaps our leadership. We don't necessarily look at [INAUDIBLE] and Africa to be represented overall.

It is something that we do follow to ensure we have diversity at that level, but we are hoping in our revision of the GAC operating principles that this gets enshrined in that and moving forward, we're able to practice that to ensure that that diversity is practiced both at the leadership level and in the work that is done, including having a more diverse group contributing to some of the cross-community working groups and PDPs at the GNSO level.

So, you see a lot of activity going forward, and I hope both myself and my co-chairs, will be able to contribute GAC's perspectives on this. But for now, I think I'll put this on record that I'm speaking on my behalf and not on behalf of the GAC. Thank you.

FIONA ASONGA:

Thank you, Alice, and thanks for raising the issue of regions and geography again, because it's really central to the discussion. I think that's something we're going to have to work together to be able to clarify so that it's clear on which carries more weight, region,

---

geography. We need guidance and to be able to agree. On the list, I'm seeing Rafik has a comment. Rafik?

RAFIK DAMMAK:

Yeah, thanks. Thanks for providing this quick briefing on the working groups. So, if I'm not mistaken, Alice was talking about the [INAUDIBLE] working group, which is the GAC working group. So, thinking here if we need some kind of, let's say, to liaise with the GAC working group in trying to see where we are.

We have common ground, and can we share information and also coordinate some work? I think that would be really helpful for everyone. And also, welcome input from GAC members. I understand that it can be hard to have a GAC position by looking for GAC members to participate in our subgroup and bring their input. So, I would like to ask if there is any way we can liaise and to see how we can coordinate and share information as well. So...

FIONA ASONGA:

Alice?

ALICE MUNYUA:

Yeah, thank you, Seun. Alice Munyua again, for the record. And thank you, Rafik, for that question. Very timely. In fact, we are looking at ways that we can ensure that we could collaborate and liaison with other groups, and very well. We are currently working on a questionnaire that is going to start looking at or asking the questions around what the current challenges are, and we're more than happy to share that.

---

We're going to be posting it during our first capacity-building series of events that actually targets the Africa region. I'm hoping we will target other regions as well, South America and others. I'm happy to share that so that perhaps we can also get input from this group and from other SOs and ACs.

I'd actually like to share that with all of you to see how we could contribute. Regarding longer-term meetings and collaboration, I think I will come back. I'm quite happy to discuss ways that we can work together to ensure that the diversity at the GAC and ICANN generally is taken into consideration and taken seriously. So, I want to welcome your own ideas on how we can do that. Thank you.

FIONA ASONGA:

Thank you, Alice. I think Rafik and I shall discuss with Leon, who's from the CCWG co-chair, who's working with us on what we are trying to do in terms of having the discussion, and then we shall get in touch with you and agree on how to do the coordination. Any other hands up? Dalila, is that an old hand?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER:

[INAUDIBLE]

FIONA ASONGA:

Okay. Being that we've got very little time left, we have—we do have one more item that has been put on an AOB. That last group of discussion [INAUDIBLE]. Okay.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: May I have the floor before we go ahead?

FIONA ASONGA: Oh, there's a hand up. Please go ahead.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I also conduct a meeting [INAUDIBLE].

[CROSSTALK]

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: If you can hear me, may I have the floor? [INAUDIBLE]

FIONA ASONGA: Okay, I'm not hearing [INAUDIBLE] or Akinbo.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Definitions on command, control [INAUDIBLE].

FIONA ASONGA: We can't hear you.

---

UNKNOWN SPEAKER:           Okay, [INAUDIBLE]. The question I want to put around that here, regarding [INAUDIBLE] and remember the group in that region, identify that in the group, groups of people who have more [INAUDIBLE].

FIONA ASONGA:               Okay. We've got about just six minutes to complete our call. And I suggest Renata and Akinbo take the comments, for the next few minutes, your comments in the chat so that we can then look and come back to them. And I'd like to just take a minute or two to quickly mention that the At-Large group at ICANN has got a captioning pilot project they'd like to run with us, Rafik and I, if we can do a test with the diversity call to do some captioning for us.

And Rafik and I agreed, so we will do a test on the call of the 13<sup>th</sup> [INAUDIBLE] should be the 5<sup>th</sup> of January when we should run a test during our call to be testing captioning happening. And if there is anybody from At-Large who'd like to provide more details on this project, I'd like to give you the floor. Anyone from At-Large who is able to explain the process?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER:           Hi, [INAUDIBLE].

FIONA ASONGA:               Okay, [INAUDIBLE] please.

---

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Hi, I have requested [INAUDIBLE]. And I have requested the transcription because the translation to language, it should be also discussing [INAUDIBLE] part of the group. We need to have clear methods for respecting and encouraging the involvement of more diverse group.

FIONA ASONGA: Okay. I think if you can show me the link for the project, please, so that everyone can just go in and read through, that will be very helpful. And yes, we did get your comment on regional and geographic diversity and it's important to say to the GAC, but I think it's also important for the rest of ICANN community.

And that will be something we need to discuss in more detail. Yes, and then [INAUDIBLE], there's quite a bit of information on the captioning project and there is a link. Yes. So, we can all go in and visit that, and be able to understand what the captioning project is all about and allow them to run a test with us, and hopefully we will be able to also benefit from the project as they move along.

Before our time runs out, any comments? Anything that we need to pay attention to? [INAUDIBLE] on the chat. And I assume that no one has a hand to say anything. It's the top of the hour, and we can consider this discussion coming to an end in the chat as well. So yeah, we shall stick [INAUDIBLE] in the chat. I can most of it has been captured in the notes. And I think unless there are any other comments—Rafik, any comments?

---

RAFIK DAMMAK: Thanks, Seun, but not really. I just want to thank everyone for joining and hopefully by next call we'll have a new version for the questionnaire and the [INAUDIBLE] so we can move forward.

FIONA ASONGA: In that case, thanks everybody. Thanks for your time. Thank you for your participation, and I'm seeing a discussion going on in English, not a personal language for many of us, but we use it, and it's able to help us communicate. Let's see what are the At-Large projects to guide us on and move this.

And thank you everybody. I'm happy to see the large numbers of attendees. And thanks for those who have joined us for the first time, feel very welcome. Feel very free to give us input on the mailing list. And bye. Have a happy New Year.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]