
GISELLA GRUBER: I'm going to get this started now Olivier has just joined, we're gonna get the recording officially started and I agree we'll get the meeting started, and I'm sure that Tijani will join on route. The official start of the recording now. Welcome, good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC leadership mid-monthly call on Wednesday the 14th of December at 16:15 UTC.

On today's call we have Alan Greenberg, León Sanchez, [Veronica Cretcheu], Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Yrjö Länsipuro, Maureen Hilyard, Julie Hammer, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Javier Rúa-Jovet, and Sébastien Bachollet. No apologies received as of yet. And from staff we have Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Gisella Gruber for now, Heidi and Ariel will be joining us shortly, and I believe Yeşim is on the phone bridge. If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, and over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. As I just mentioned before the recording started, this hopefully will be a short meeting today. There is not an awful lot of great substance that we need to discuss, and, at least I don't think there is. And some of us really have a really heavy conference call load today, so with that I'll proceed very quickly to the first in the action items that need the attention of the ALT, Gisella I believe you're doing that?

Unless Heidi didn't tell you you were doing that.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I did do that, I did tell her that.

Sorry! [laughs].

GISELLA GRUBER: No, no you did. I was just uploading the document, sorry, Gisella here. I was just uploading the document as I was trying to un-mute. And [inaudible] so if I may I'm just going to go through the action items, there is one, as I open the action item page and I'm just going to give you scrolling rights for the action items, which will be easier.

The open action items that we currently have, there is: Gisella, Terry and Natalie should monitor the use of additional languages over the course of the few months, as ALAC, APRALO and LACRALO calls will be offered additional language interpretation by the language services.

Now that really needs to be changed, if I may say, and put that we will put together a final sheet by the end of next week of the languages that are used currently on our various RALO calls, as well as the ALAC call. And possibly decide which languages we would like to keep. I'm referring mainly to the ALAC call where we have Russian and we have no participation on the Russian channel. So that might just be something that we would like to review, but as I said I'll get something to you by the end of next week. And we can review it early in the new year to make sure that we have all languages, all relevant languages on the various RALO calls.

[cross talk]

The second action item— sorry, yes?

ALAN GREENBERG: When's that action item from? My recollection is that it's about two years, because one of the later ones on this list is also about two years old?

GISELLA GRUBER: Let's see, there we go. This one was last...

ALAN GREENBERG: It may still need to be done, I'm just curious of the provenance of it.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes— it is an old one. Gisella for the transcript. May need to be reworded, or put a date, or maybe move to something else. We'll work on that, note taken [laughs].

The New gTLDs working group to identify a new chair, Heidi Ullrich to work with Alan Greenberg to understand the proper procedure.

ALAN GREENBERG: Again I think that's a year old, although we've just done that [laughs].

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, you have. I was just going to say that can be ticked completed because I definitely did see that coming through the emails, even though I wasn't on the call.

Third action item— I will mark that one completed Alan, thank you.
Third one, Alan Greenberg to review the cleaned up At-Large mailing list

database and let Ariel know which mailing lists should retire. I'm not sure if you have done that—

ALAN GREENBERG: We never did that because we gave up in frustration. But probably we should talk about it again. But not today.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Alan. Gisella here, yes, I will do that and mark it as an action item. And also, Alan, to solicit the ALT opinion on what lists to send the call for volunteer message, with regard to revitalizing At-Large working groups.

ALAN GREENBERG: Let's skip this list, it's years old. And if anything else... If nothing else, that they need to be reworded. So let's not spend time on them today, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella? Hi, yes, this is Heidi, sorry for the confusion. If you could just read the very bottom list, those are the most current.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, okay. Thank you, Heidi. Yes, I see the newly assigned action items. My apologies. I did go through the open ones which actually did prompt us to, maybe, review the open ones. The last one on— the only one on the newly assigned action items, León Sanchez to pen the ALAC

statement on the RFP public comment, a brief statement in support of the updated supplementary procedures.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: That is ongoing, and I will have a draft by tomorrow I think. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella here, thank you very much Leon. That concludes the action items.

ALAN GREENBERG: Next item on policy development, Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Alan. This is Ariel now for the record. Just give me one moment because I just got in here after the DNS [inaudible] call.

Okay, so we have several items in progress. The first one is what I'm just reading from the one that closed later to sooner. And then the first one is the proposed ICANN community anti-harassment policy, and we just extended the internal commenting period for At-Large, and now you can comment until December 17th. And then Olivier and Sébastien will finalize that statement, and we'll open the vote next Monday. So if you have a chance, please take a look at that draft statement.

And then the second one is, on the updated supplementary procedures for independent review process, Leon Sanchez is drafting a statement

on that, so I'm wondering whether, Leon, if you have any updates on that to public comment?

LEÓN SANCHEZ:

Hi, Ariel. I think I just provided [inaudible] data, and said that tomorrow I will be having the first draft for this statement.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, Leon. This is Ariel Liang, for the record again. And the next one is on the continued data driven analysis of root service system stability draft report. We also extended the commenting period for At-Large, and the deadline is today. So after that Sean and John will finalize a statement on that. So please take a look at that drafting and provide input if you have any.

And then the next one is on the draft PTI FY18 Operating Plan and Budget. So we didn't get to finalize the statement before the public commenting closes. But [inaudible] Joseph provided the finalized version, I was sent in today and start the ALAC ratification vote today.

And that's pretty much it for the ones in progress. And then we've got one new public comment that we haven't decided yet, on the identifier technology health indicator definition. And that public comment will close on the 9th of January.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Anyone want to take responsibility for that? Or does anyone believe we don't need to comment?

Olivier, are you on this one? Is anyone on the call?

[CROSSTALK]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. I've asked four times now to un-sync the agenda, because I can't read it, I can't scroll through it, maybe there is a problem with me? I don't know.

ALAN GREENBERG: No.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, more helpful now, then I'll be able to know because I haven't seen the topics, sorry.

[CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: Julie, do you have anything on this one?

Go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'd be interested to hear what Julie might say, actually. It's Cheryl for the record. I was just going to point out, I'm going to have to read this because, before I even react, because as a set of five words put together, I understand the individual words [laughs].

[CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG:

The title of the document is “DNS Help: Free From Diseases”.

And it’s 2.5 MB long.

[CROSSTALK]

May I suggest taking— go ahead Julie.

JULIE HAMMER:

Sorry, I would like to say I can have a look at it in the near future, but I really can’t with other commitments. But I will try, I’ll try soon, when I might be able to have a look at it, Alan, it is something I should look at.

ALAN GREENBERG:

May I suggest that we need a proposal from somebody, whether it’s staff or someone in this group of how to handle policy statements. This comment opened, ICANN comment opened over two weeks ago, and this is the first time we are even talking about it. Maybe there was an email that went out that everyone ignored. But clearly our processes are not working effectively.

Olivier, go ahead, but let’s go onto the next item.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. If you had a look, this is actually a PowerPoint presentation, and I recall going

through it a couple of weeks ago whilst seeing this thing come out. It's actually worse than what you mentioned, it's ["DNS Sanitas"] [inaudible]. There's plenty amount of Latin in this, plentiful amount of Latin in this presentation. Very expertly done by Alan [inaudible], but—

ALAN GREENBERG: Isn't that one of the official UN languages?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Exactly, that's what I was going to say. Quite complex, when it comes down to our communities. Many of whom don't even know what Latin is, thought perhaps that Latin was dancing salsa or something completely different than what is on there. The PowerPoint itself is very extensive and is looking at a methodology for DNS health, that I have found to be confusing due to the, well, the extensive, something you can do in five pages has been done in 51 pages, to put it this way—

ALAN GREENBERG: Look at all the new words he invented.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, this is it. I think that beyond the actual content of this, which I'm sure is actually absolutely fine and of great health, I would perhaps note that we should recommend that the use of such wording for non-English speakers, and people of not a Latin background, Latin as in European background, and so on, should be not recommended. I am certainly aware of other cultures, if we started using Chinese words for

everything that we were doing here that would induce some confusion in other people, heavily as well.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Most of these words are not Latin, they are invented. Let's continue the conversation offline, I think this warrants a comment, if only on the language. But let's not do it here. Sébastien go ahead.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much, Alan. Sébastien Bachollet speaking. Yeah, be careful, I guess that it was, maybe, done very seriously but it's also, tried to do another type of comments or documents, and maybe we cannot react too... At the [SPEAKING ANOTHER LANGUAGE] as we say in French, not too much but to explain what we would like to have to treat those [inaudible], and [inaudible] discussion, not just to react because we don't, a part of us don't understand part of the word, and I am among them. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Any further comments on this? I think it does warrant some work, would someone like to take responsibility for drafting something? Or do we ask the wider group? I'm happy to ask the wider ALAC.

Hearing no volunteers, and hearing no one saying we shouldn't ask the wider ALAC. Can we send a message out to the ALAC list saying would anyone like to take responsibility for reviewing this document and possibly making a comment?

Thank you very much, I'll take as being done.

Next item, Ariel, if there is anything else?

ARIEL LIANG:

This is Ariel, for the record. Nothing else.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. Next item, item five, is ICANN 58, preview planning. Two items on it, one is ALT plans and the second is overall logistics on ALT. Those of who have been around for a while will remember that we used to have an ALT dinner and review meeting prior to the first day of ICANN, the evening before. We cancelled those because they were, the time was taken over by the CEO's meeting with chairs, followed by dinner. That, at the last meeting in Hyderabad, was moved to a different day. Do we know anything about when that's going to happen this year? This coming meeting in Copenhagen? That's a question for Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Sorry, Alan. I was just trying to get my audio to work then, which meeting were you referring to?

ALAN GREENBERG:

The meeting which used to be held with chairs and the CEO, and assorted other ICANN VIPS, that used to be on the Friday before the first day of meetings, and was then moved to some other day in Hyderabad.

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, Gisella here. No, I haven't had anything on that yet, I'll follow up with [Suzy] and with board support, and get back to you very shortly to see whether [Euron] has decided on how he would like to do it in Copenhagen. And possibly moving forward, it will also be nice to have something that it set like we used to have. I'll follow up on that one. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Let us presume, for the moment, it will not be on the day before the meeting. The evening before the meeting. At which point I would recommend that we revert back to having an ALT meeting. At that time, that presumes people have to be in early enough to attend this, I don't think that's generally a problem. So let's assume that is scheduled.

The second thing is, I had asked ALT members and liaisons to what extent they could defer their departure so we could have an ALT meeting the day after the final day. Some people answered that it was not a problem, they could schedule a late flight out. Other people said there may be a problem. I would like staff to collect the definitive list, so we know how many days extra we need for the ALT to be able to schedule that meeting.

I, for instance, will not be able to leave the same day, and will even need a room in Copenhagen, or a room in transit to be able to leave after noon-hour. So if we could please, within the next couple of days, have everyone let staff know exactly what the situation is if you didn't

already answer the email. I would like that meeting to be, perhaps, a meeting with Steve Crocker, as we have done in the past. A post-mortem of the ICANN meeting, and some planning so that when we all go home we don't just disappear for a week and a half and then start having various crisis and problems start because we haven't talked at all about what we're going to be doing over the next couple of months.

Any comments on either of those, before we proceed with the next item?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, Cheryl here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: My only comment, which I know you will have read, was that there is a cost issue. Do you want me to get firm costings? Because I can do that in the next day, and then we'll know how much more it will be for me to fly out that afternoon. There are flights, I can certainly get them, but on my looking at pricing when I responded to your email, they're in the order of \$900 dearer. Which is probably going to be more expensive than me staying overnight and flying out on [inaudible] the following day, but I can do that if you want me to.

ALAN GREENBERG: I believe the analysis of that is you need an extra day. Should it turn out when you actually go to book flights, that there's an afternoon flight, then, clearly you don't need the extra day.

[CROSS TALK]

But at this point, chances are you will need it in lieu of a significantly higher airfare price.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, plan for the extra day then, because, at the moment, all the airfares I look at are much more expensive flying out in the evening.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's how I would analyze it if I was paying it out of my pocket. Now, logic does not necessarily apply to ICANN's travel rules, however, but that's the only tool we have available today.

Alright, no more comments? Gisella, over to you on overall logistic and scheduling.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Alan. I just have a comment with regards to the ALT meeting that you mentioned. If on the day before the Friday you don't have a meeting with [Euron] and his executive team, would you like an ALT dinner? Or were you thinking of having a late afternoon meeting? Or, how would you like me to look into that one?

ALAN GREENBERG: My inclination would be if we're going to have the ALT meeting, that we do an ALAC-wide dinner the night before. ALAC plus travelers. We don't have many opportunities where this group can engage socially, and I think that kind of opportunity improves our ability to work together. So I would definitely suggest that we do an ALAC type thing. If our request for an ALT meeting on the Friday, or whatever the day is after the last day, is denied, then we may change that to an ALT meeting as it's the only opportunity to have that kind of discussion. But, at this point, let's work on the assumption that we will get what we're asking for and that we do an At-Large leadership wide dinner the last night. Understanding that some people may fly out that night, but...

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay. So, if I may, just to make sure that I've got this correctly? The last Friday, the additional time that we're asking for on the Friday after the ICANN meeting, you'd like it in a [inaudible] night?

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. What is the day of the week for the last day of the meeting, the formal meeting?

GISELLA GRUBER: The last day of the formal meeting is the, let me just bring up the calendar, is the Thursday, the 16th of March. So we can be looking at an ALT meeting on Friday the 17th.

ALAN GREENBERG: Correct.

GISELLA GRUBER: Morning.

ALAN GREENBERG: And I am suggesting, but I'd like input, I am suggesting an At-Large leadership, the whole travel group, dinner the Thursday night.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thursday the 16th, after the cocktails?

ALAN GREENBERG: Presumably, yes. If you think that, uncharacteristically, this cocktail will actually provide enough food for everyone, then maybe we want to change our rules, but that has not been the case recently.

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella here. I will look into what they're planning for the cocktail because it would be nice to get a nudge out to all the travelers, and obviously work on the logistics of having a dinner on Thursday the 16th. Because people may be leaving that day, depending on the block schedule. And also, then, there's nothing happening on Friday the 10th, the day before the meeting officially starts, as in an ALT get together, correct?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, that is not what we're saying. There is a CCWG meeting all day. And I am suggesting that on the evening before the first meeting that the ALT meet as we used to up until two years ago, or up until a year ago.

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay, sorry. That was my question. Do we have a meeting? Do we have a dinner? Do we have, host CCWG to our meeting, and then a dinner? I'm just trying to work on the space.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I would suggest that we do what we used to do. That is have a dinner, preferably in a private room where we can just transact some business as well.

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella here. Perfect, thank you. I'll work on that.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Tijani speaking, sorry. What we used to before is exactly what Gisella said. It is at the end of the CCWG meeting, which is one day before the

regular meeting, at the evening. So this is the proposal that you are doing?

ALAN GREENBERG: That is correct. That was already discussed before you got on the call, I think, but yes. That is what I was proposing.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Assuming the CEO is not holding a chairs meeting that day, which he used to until Hyderabad, but then changed. We don't know yet, we're checking.

Gisella, over to you on the item B.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Alan. Gisella here. I don't have much of an update on the logistics and scheduling at this stage. I'm working with the meetings team to find out how many hotels we're likely to be housed at. And more of the details which I haven't yet got through. So that will probably be for our first meeting, early January, of the ALT, when I'll bring this up. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. My understanding was ICANN was supposed to have published a block schedule by now, has that happened?

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, Gisella here. That is coming up on your screen now. And at this stage nothing has been done with it yet. There is another meeting of the ICANN 58 organizing committee on the 4th of January. Hopefully by then this this is adopted and finalized, I will really try to work on this over the next couple of weeks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, can you retroactively attach it to our agenda, so people can find it?

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, yes, I'll do that now.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Any further items on ICANN 58? I'm presuming that's an old hand, Gisella.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, Cheryl here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Are we going to look at high interest topics, because we should...

ALAN GREENBERG: Probably.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, but we have to [laughs].

And I think if we offer ourselves to partner with other ACs and SOs on any of their high interest topics, that's ok. I mean, we don't have to come up with our own. But, I think if we don't come up with one or two for consideration, then I would like to propose that the ALT consider making sure that we proactively offer our personnel resources to be part of any partnership and any forum titles, if we need it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Is there a deadline for submitting topics? I think there is.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think it's looming—

ALAN GREENBERG: I think so too. Unfortunately not on our agenda, so it got slipped between the cracks, thank you for reminding us Cheryl. Do we have a volunteer to collect ideas, or come up with ideas?

That's encouraging... León, go ahead.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Thanks Alan, I volunteer to either gather ideas or come up with ideas for high interest topics. So I will move forward on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. And if staff could send a note to ALT list telling us what the deadline is? And if there is a repository of ideas from other people, or ACs and SOs, a pointer to that also would be useful, if there is such a thing.

Anything else on ICANN 58?

Alright, going on to item number six. This is fiscal year budget requests. Heidi wanted to do a retrospective of the fiscal year 17 requests. I'm not sure we really need it, but I'm willing to take input from the group, and an overview of the fiscal year 18 process.

Heidi, are you with us?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I am. And this does actually refer to a little bit about Copenhagen as well, in a positive sense. So if you could please take a look at that page, I've just updated it, so if you were looking at it before please do refresh. So I'm just going to go very quickly through the status of the ALAC and RALO [inaudible].

[AUDIO BREAK]

ALAN GREENBERG: Have we lost Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I am here, can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Your voice stopped, but go ahead, now you're back.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Okay, sorry. So basically they have all been competed or are in progress. Now just two that are relevant, is that for ICANN 58 there is still the request approved for the strategic working session. So that is available for 58. And there is the ALAC development—

ALAN GREENBERG: May I interrupt? Olivier has asked, again, that the document be un-synced so we can actually look at it. Thank you. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. So there is a strategic development session that we have available. The 57, I'm sorry the ALAC development 57 at ICANN 57 was completed. But for, again, for Copenhagen there is this strategic session that comes with a little bit of funding. And we can use that either for a lunch during that day, or we could possible use that for an ALAC dinner.

I wanted to highlight those. Again, as I said, all of the others are, to some extent, they're either completed or, to some extent, being implemented. So that's very good news.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And then if I may move on to the...

ALAN GREENBERG: Just for the record, I am going to be a little bit hard nosed this time about items that are requested/approved but don't actually provide any resources. So we're going to need some clarity as we go forward, thank you. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you Alan, there is also the fiscal year 18 budget development workspace that has been prepared. That process, for the additional budget allocations, will begin tomorrow through the finance department. As soon as that is posted, we will update this page. The call for the members of the FBSC went out yesterday with a deadline of the 22nd, that is for the ALAC and RALO members, and then we'll open it up to the participants the week after that.

So, again...

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just if I could finish, Alan... I'm assuming that the process is scheduled to be approximately the same, so that means that in January the FBSC and the ALAC and RALOs will need to work pretty significantly on the development of the proposals. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. The last meeting with Rob Hoggarth and, I think, Xavier, I think in Hyderabad, when we raised the issue of the ability to use the two liaisons slots for other things, which is not relevant for Copenhagen, but nevertheless. We were told that "oh they didn't quite understand what we were saying," and they'd get back to us. Have they gotten back to us?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, Alan...

ALAN GREENBERG: The issue was, they said yes, we could use the slots any way we want it. But that's not what the wording said in their answer. Their wording in the answer said no, we can't use the slots any way we want.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let me get back to you on that. I thought that was discussed at various times, and if we have not reached a conclusion, then I will follow up—

ALAN GREENBERG: We have not. We have not reached a conclusion. They left it saying, in the case where Olivier was GNSO liaison, we could use Olivier's... Olivier could travel on the GNSO liaison, and we could free-up the RALO slot. Our answer was "that is not acceptable, because these are ALAC slots, not RALO slots to be reallocated".

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I recall that.

ALAN GREENBERG: And they said "oh, we didn't understand that." Even though it had been said numerous times...

HEIDI ULLRICH: I remember— Okay, if there can be an action item for that, please Ariel?

So just on that point, Alan, we've had some discussion that one of the ALAC requests could be for an extra slot. Is that related, I'm assuming that's related to that?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, we will do that, that's for the GAC slot. But that's not the question this is about.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. My other point was additional for the GAC slot, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: There's no doubt we will be doing that. Anything else on budget issues? Olivier, you have your hand up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. I have read the first version 0.01, or something, of the ALAC review, and it mentions we spend so much time on process. I'm witnessing, at the moment, a conversation where I've seen a similar conversation on the GNSO council, where the formalization of the GAC liaison was voted. Marika Konings said "Okay, so now that it's voted, are we getting another slot for the GAC liaison to travel?" The answer from James Wood: Yes. And the answer from Marika was, okay, yes, noted, thank you. That lasted thirty seconds, or less. I'm not quite sure why we need to go around talking about these things forever.

ALAN GREENBERG: The same reason that we go around talking about things forever on other budget items, where we keep being told no, and other groups being told yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just a point, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: There was something in the first At-Large review, that we should be treated the same as other groups. You may note a bit of bitterness in my tone.

Anything else on ICANN 58? I'm sorry, on fiscal year budget requests? Heidi, your hand is up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: If we're moving on to the next item, I'll keep it up, but otherwise I'll move it down.

ALAN GREENBERG: Leadership training, the— you can keep your hand up, I'm still going to introduce it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: [Laughs].

ALAN GREENBERG: The leadership training program, we have five slots for the leadership training program, which occurs prior to the ICANN meeting. We have asked each of the RALOs to name a person. One RALO, specifically, AFRALO, has named someone, we have heard nothing from the other RALOs. Our normal practice is we accept the RALOs suggestion, although in one case I believe we overwrote it. That was several years ago. That is still an ALAC prerogative, but I think we would have to have a strong rationale for doing that.

Cheryl, go ahead. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, I had muted myself, instead of un-muting myself. My apologies. Cheryl, for the record.

I just want to take you back very briefly to your previous agenda item. As the kickoff for submission starts, well now for additional requests, are you not going to have an action item that gets that information and general awareness raising out to the regions?

ALAN GREENBERG: I believe Heidi said... the program will be announced tomorrow. And I presume there will be a staff action to forward that to the regions and start to listen to things. We don't have the details and the dates at this point. Once we have them, yes we will. If you think that needs an action item to do that, then I have no problem with an action item. Heidi, comment on that please?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, this is Heidi, I will go ahead and send that out as soon as it...

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Back to the leadership program. So that's the leadership, but we also have a chairing skills program, the CSP, in case we don't have enough acronyms. Here we have one slot per AC/SO. I have been told on no uncertain terms that I have to make myself

available as a trainee for that. If anyone has any objection to that, then let me know. I am willing to subject myself to it.

Heidi tells me we need a backup person, I guess that's if I die or resign before Copenhagen. Heidi, is that the correct rationale?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. No.

ALAN GREENBERG: No?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. The idea was that if you were swamped with additional work all of sudden, or work purposes or something came up that you were unable to participate, then the backup would take over.

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh, you mean like nine hours of conference calls a day?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, or raising that to twelve or something, you know? [inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright, apparently we need a backup chair. It should be a RALO chair I am told. Again I am being given this information as passed down from the Gods. If we have a suggestion of a RALO chair who will be around in

that position for a while more, and could benefit from chairing skills, I welcome suggestions. We have a few days to get someone in. Comments right now, or offline, as you wish. Heidi, now over to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much. This is Heidi. And I'm really pleased that we have now two courses in the ICANN academy through the work of Sandra and her leadership team of [Reg] and [Heather]. This is a pilot. The second one is this sharing skills program that Alan just mentioned a little bit. It's going to be run in two sessions. First, we'll start in January, it's focusing on chairing of telephonic meetings. The second will take place before and during ICANN 58. We'll be focusing on chairing of face-to-face meetings. The aim of that is to eventually run at any time throughout the year by strictly using community volunteers. So I think it's a really good pilot program.

The next one of course is the leadership program that many of you are alumni of. And this one will run now, it was decided by the academy to move the leadership program from the AGM to meeting A. So this one will run the 8th through 10th of March, right prior to Copenhagen. And what we're looking for from At-Large are up to five people. A mixture between incoming leaders and experienced leaders. So one from each RALO. And right now we only have one confirmed, and that is Sarah from AFRALO. So, we're looking for again, new or experienced leaders from the four remaining RALOs.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Now I would presume that...

HEIDI ULLRICH: And the deadline for— sorry Alan just really quickly— importantly, the deadline for both is the 20th. So we're running a little bit— we have about six days left— and there is an online registration form for both courses. Thank you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I would presume that you ALAC members should also be candidates for this, not just someone from the RALO proper.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Absolutely, absolutely. From the region.

ALAN GREENBERG: Was your message clear on that? I don't recall what it said, but if it was just asking the RALO leaders to name someone, they may be ignoring the ALAC members.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I believe the message was clear enough, we've never had had issues in the past, but I will double-check the message again.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. But, for instance, we do have one brand new person in ICANN on our ALAC who I believe should be considered. Let's make sure he is.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, again, Alan, would you like us to go ahead and just contact the RALO leadership, i.e. the RALO leaders and the ALAC leaders, for these positions ASAP?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Heidi, Cheryl, fresh hand on this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. It just strikes me that with the APRALO meeting tomorrow or today actually, we show that not on the agenda, that [inaudible] at any time. The very expensive, and, I think, quite well managed mentoring program. It would be ideal for one of our "mentees" to be put forward on that. So I think we need to make sure that gets into the agenda. That's only a matter of hours away, though Holly. Heidi, sorry, Holly is not here. That morning can make sure that happens, and I'll do my best to do the same.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, if I may?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you Cheryl very much. Perhaps we can have an action item on that. However the academy leadership will be drawing their coaches for the CSP from the alumni group of the leadership program. I just wanted to point that out, thank you.

[CROSSTALK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. So, again, for this first pilot to have the coaches of the CSP be drawn from the leadership alumni for the last three years.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, I don't really give a flying F whether or not it goes out before the APAC meeting tomorrow, because it will make no difference.

ALAN GREENSBER: Heidi, I saw solicitation today, I think, for coaches and volunteers. Who is it who decides who is capable of being a coach and who needs to be a trainee?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. There are criteria that are set out inside the learning and academy leadership team. So once we get the people who are interested in being the coaches, they'll take a look at those who meet the criteria [inaudible]. And it also depends on how many numbers of coaches we need, depending on how many trainees we get registrations for.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm asking you, are those criteria public? Or are we asking for volunteers and then they'll be told "sorry, you don't meet the criteria?"

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. My understanding was that in the notes Sandra was sending out to the list, the alumni list, that the criteria would be noted.

ALAN GREENBERG: Maybe it was. I didn't notice it. But it might have been there. Alright, anything else?

Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Alan. Do you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, we do.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Do you hear me? Thank you very much. Okay, very good. I appreciate your question, Alan, about the criteria, how would the coach [inaudible]. I am really, really upset at something which is choosing people, or making this kind of mentor/mentee coach, etc., etc., with a clear and defined criteria. It is not about having any advantage for anyone. It is about to understand the process and to see that it is fair enough for everyone. Because there was a lot of frustration before, and Heidi knows what I'm speaking about, and I don't want it to be repeated every time. So if we can, in the future, for any kind of this mentoring program, coaching, etc., onboarding, etc., try to make things clear and inform people. Don't do things which are not declared, even if it is a pilot program. It must be declared. And people should know about it. This is something very important for the person, the confidence among the community. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I tend to support that. I did just pull up the document that Sandra sent out, and it says community coaches have to have deep knowledge of ICANN, have to actually have chaired meetings before, and be alumni of the leadership program. Without any personal implications, I meet all of those criteria, and I have been told I must be a trainee. So I think there is a lack of clarity here. Just raising the comment.

Anything else further on this issue before we go onto the next agenda item? Seeing nothing, hearing nothing, we'll go on to the next item.

The next item is items for the ALAC meeting next Tuesday. Does anyone have anything they would like to see on it and if they don't now, then please send them to me and Heidi in the next couple of days, if you believe there should be something that must be discussed at the ALAC meeting.

Anyone have any thoughts here? Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. I was just going to suggest that you spend maybe a few minutes to let our community know of your travels at the Internet Governance Forum, to let them know what's been going on there. I know that you've self-funded. But I think it needs to be put on record that you went there, and that you can provide some feedback, I would be so happy to also provide some feedback. And I know that several other people in the At-Large committee have been there, so it's important to keep that link. And secondly I was going to suggest an update on the Cross Community Working Group on Internet Governance, but it's probably premature. I'll probably ask for a slot in January of this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Heidi, make a note of that when you do the first cut of the agenda. Anything else?

I think there is no doubt that there will be questions raised, so we will have a session on the At-Large review as we normally do at an ALAC meeting. Any further comments? Hearing nothing.

We have the next item is any other business. I have two items for any other business at this point. And is there anyone else who has anything? Or I can defer that until you hear mine. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. I just wanted to report quickly to us and maybe discuss briefly, a discussion that we've had in the out-region engagement working group that met earlier this week. We have had some concern that in front of the— was it the [inaudible] again? I think it's that. Or was it the... it's the one that deals with media strategy and stuff. I'm really sorry... Slightly confused. Anyway, we had some concerns that in front of what one could qualify as widespread criticism on working groups and on, sorry, not on working groups, on social media. There hasn't been any concerted type of response that we can provide and we don't really have much of a strategy for responding to wrong accusations or whatever it was. And I just wondered whether there were any thoughts here in the ALT about this, as to whether our working group should be considering putting together some fast response systems or perhaps Tweet better, or do things better to get the truth out. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: I guess I would ask, as a prelude to anyone answering that, is it possible to do anything which won't simply sound defensive? But I open the floor to those who are more experienced in social media than I am.

[CROSSTALK]

We apparently don't have any of those.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Could you please repeat what was the question? I was distracted for a minute.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. Olivier raised the issue that we have strong criticism on social media, based on the version of the At-Large review that was distributed already. And we have not made any effort to counter that. And I asked the question, is it possible to counter that without simply sounding defensive?

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Yes, Alan. This is, León Sanchez. I mean, social media is a strange animal. One of the guidelines that I usually follow is to not feed the troll. Right? So we're getting pushed back on the review at this point. Rather than seeing it as a negative thing, I would capitalize it, and see where we are getting criticism, and of course try to reflect that on the comments that we will be inputting to the review team and to the draft that is ongoing, right?

ALAN GREENBERG: I would also like... Go ahead.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: So, at this point, I would suggest that we continue to monitor the different social networks that we are aware that are commenting on this, gather that feedback, and of course try to base our comments on that criticism, and then of course try to find ways around that criticism. But not really react on social networks, because that will only make the problem grow and it will impact negatively on all ends to the At-Large community, I think.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would certainly also encourage the group responsible for reviews to suggest to future reviewers that they not feed the trolls with the way they phrase their reports.

Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Alan. Tijani speaking. I tend to agree with León, for not responding on social media regarding the criticism we receive. We had better not concentrate on the review, on the report. I think that we have a lot of— my part, if you want, I didn't do yet what I have to do, because of several other things going on at the same time. But, we need to really make a good comment on this report. I know that most of us didn't like it, but we need to comment on it, and to say exactly what is wrong with it. What is good with it. It is true that we are not in our best situation at At-Large, but what we expected is to see how we can improve on, how we can correct on what is going on correctly. Not to destructure everything and make it another kind of organization. So we

need to make our comment constructively and clearly, so that the reviewers understand what we want them to understand. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. I'm assuming I'm un-muted. Cheryl for the record. And she's pushing on her coach here of the ALAC review working party hat, okay? All of this, all of this, is being based on a very early draft, which the working party, twenty three member strong working party, needs to interact and have dialogue and edit with the ICANN team. Then it will be polished, then it will become a document for the ALAC and wider community to look at. We have, in the working party, until the 22nd of December to make our comments, and have then items on the 23rd of December, start finalizing and modifying what will be a suitable for digestion, or a more suitable for digestion, document out. The fact that everybody seems to have got hold of it at its very early stage, is a bit like me putting the [inaudible] and casings from the pig guts on the table and saying "please enjoy your sausages". Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Cheryl, for that graphic description. Before I go to Sébastien, I will note that Olivier raised the issue in respect to social media and in the chat he mentioned the concept of "fake news" which has been in the headlines recently.

This whole thing could be based on something which is completely nonexistent and which still has the same credibility to people who read these Facebook pages and Twitters, and Tweets, rather.

Sébastien, go ahead.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Alan, I will not comment on this specific issue, except to say that I hope that it will be one of the topics of the ALAC meeting next week. But it was not the only case where we get pushed back, or bad... Sorry... just before we got publication of five malware candidates for the board seat, and it was put as a list by ALAC. It's wrong for two reasons. The first one is that [inaudible] with the list and the second is that there are six candidates and not five. But, just to raise one point, how we can deal with that and I am not sure that the answer to say "we can't do anything" or "we don't do anything". I hope that people [inaudible] have some idea on how to deal with this type of issue when they get trouble with [DSL] matters and so on. Then we need to have a discussion on that. And please come with ideas, not saying "I am right and I will do the right thing". We need all together to try to find the best for the overall organization and the voice of end users. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

The At-Large review is a standing item on the ALAC meetings, it will be there this time. Partly because it's standing, and partly because I already said it would be. And we will allow more time. I am not in a position to guarantee people come with ideas.

Tijani is that a new hand or an old hand?

And I note Olivier, in the chat, says a troll is an isolated naysayer. This is a coordinated set of criticisms from all around the place.

Hearing nothing else, we'll go to the next item on AOB. Normally we have an ALT call right soon after the ALAC meeting. The ALAC meeting is on the 22nd, next Tuesday, I think, is that correct? When is the ALAC meeting?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: The 20th—

ALAN GREENBERG: The 20th, okay. Sorry I got a message from someone saying it was on the 22nd. It's on the 20th. That's a couple of days before the holidays. My feeling is we probably do not need an ALT meeting, we could schedule one towards the end of that week and cancel it, if necessary, and I'm suggesting we do that. That is unless something really substantive comes up during the ALAC meeting, and it might be the At-Large review that we cancel the ALT meeting. But we do schedule one in case we need one.

I'm hearing no objection and I'll presume that is okay with everyone.

My last item is an update from staff on a number of items that have, I don't quite know what the status is. The first is the metrics page on the last ALAC and At-Large leadership for the last ICANN year, and the start

of one for the new one. Where are we on that? This has been going on for weeks and weeks now.

Heidi? Gisella? I don't know who's in charge of it.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Alan, this is Yeşim.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Sorry. I'm working on it, actually currently I'm almost completed with the RALO meeting, and it's one of my priorities, I know it is been so long, but I will be completing it as soon as possible.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Keep me up to date so I can look at what you have piece by piece. Thank you very much.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Sure. Of course. And if you would like to see it I can share it with you as well because it's a Google document, so you can just have a brief look at it, and let me know if you're not happy with anything, and I'll be happy to change it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Send it to me on Skype. It will be moved into the wiki though, correct?

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Okay. Yes, that's correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. And there's at least one call which has not gone out for new members or to reaffirm members, and that is for the CROPP review team. Half of the CROPP review team is named by the FBSC, which can't be done until the FBSC is reconstituted, but the other half are ALAC, are RALO appointees, and that call needs to go out. If anyone is aware of other groups that need to be reconstituted because of the change in personnel on both the ALAC and the RALOs, please identify them.

Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Alan. Tijani speaking. For the [inaudible] group, I asked for the renewal of the membership. I asked all the members if they want to continue to be on the group and asked for new members if others want to be on it. I think that we have to make a [inaudible] each year for all the working groups, so that we have new groups and we identify people who are not available anymore. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, thank you. Certainly that should be done within groups, I am more concerned with this item of the groups that are formally appointed by

RALOs or by the ALAC. And that we need to replace the formal appointees, as opposed to people simply participating in any group. I think the capacity building group is one of those which is not mandated with membership from certain places. I may be wrong. But I think that's the case.

Alright. If anyone else has any other groups that they know about that have formally appointed people to them, please can we make sure that staff sends out messages to renew those?

And it should be coming from staff, addressed at the RALOs or the ALAC, and not from the committee itself.

I have nothing else. Tijani, go ahead.

Cannot hear you Tijani.

Is Tijani on the bridge or is he on Adobe Connect? Because he's shown as muted on Adobe Connect?

[CROSSTALK]

GISELLA GRUBER:

Alan, Gisella here. Just trying to figure out whether he's dropped from the audio. Just bear with me for a second, thank you.

He's just dropped. Sorry for that, Alan. We're redialing. Thank you. Gisella here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. We'll hold on for one moment. I did not meet the target of this meeting being less than one hour, I apologize.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Almost, almost! We didn't start exactly on time, I think we might just almost scrape it in [laughs].

ALAN GREENBERG: I think it started at 15 minutes past the hour. And it is now 26 past the hour.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: But we didn't actually start at the 15 past. We were a few minutes late, you see. I was trying to give you a little wriggle room there Alan, that's all. It was me being nice. Don't worry, I won't do it again.

ALAN GREENBERG: The only issue is I don't have any lunch today. That's fine. Chairs aren't necessarily allowed to have lunch.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You mean you don't have the inconvenience of...

[CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: That wasn't in the job description I'll point out.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Laughs] But didn't we give you the setup for the intravenous glucose for these purposes?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, you didn't!

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well. I'm sorry, Alan! Olivier and I should have made that clear to you. [laughs].

ALAN GREENBERG: You should have passed down the apparatus when you transferred the job.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If you want to use something that I've used, and that Olivier's used before me— after me— sure [laughs].

ALAN GREENBERG: I live in a jurisdiction where simply going to the drug store and saying I want intravenous stuff, does not really work...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Laughs]

[Inaudible]

We are joking by the way.

ALAN GREENBERG: Is Tijani back?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: Based on the At-Large review, we could say this whole call is a joke...

[CROSSTALK]

It's focused on internal issues.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Internal issues and process, yep...

Unlike, gee, a GNSO call, or a council call, or a ccNSO council call...

ALAN GREENBERG: Or a GAC meeting.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. Much different. Sorry—

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan? It's [inaudible] to Tijani, so he doesn't seem to be responding to the...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Alright, I am here. I am here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani is back.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. I am back. Okay. So, I think you didn't hear what I said. I said that in the last meeting of Hyderabad I asked about the participation of our members in the meeting of Hyderabad and on all meetings of ICANN. And you said that this is already asked and that we would have the report soon. I also remember that there was a request to have the participation of our ALAC members, participation and all the calls, ALAC calls, ALT calls, etc., and also about the participation in working groups. This is something not to invalidate anyone, but to know, at least to have an idea, about who is participating, who is working, who is not—

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, that is the item that Yeşim said she is working on.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think she [inaudible] the RALOs only. She's on the RALOs.

ALAN GREENBERG: No. Regardless of what she said, it is not RALOs only. It is At-Large leadership.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. And what is happening with the records of attendance and participation at the Hyderabad meeting? I have not seen that yet either. So I am assuming that is also in progress.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I hope so.

ALAN GREENBERG: I hope so too. If there isn't an action item, there should be. And I see words appearing under action items right now. Is there anything else, folks? I still do have a fifteen minute slot where I can go get lunch.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Go get lunch, Alan!

ALAN GREENBERG: You could use it up if you'd like [laughs].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Bye!

ALAN GREENBERG: Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, other than an old hand from Tijani, which has now disappeared. I call this meeting to a close.

Thank you all for participating. And we'll be in touch in various other modes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Bye!

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Thank you very much. Bye bye!

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Thanks everyone, bye bye.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you everyone, the meeting has been adjourned, and the audio will now be disconnected. Enjoy the rest of your night, morning, day, or evening. Thank you very much for joining.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]