
YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call taking place on Monday, 9th of January, 2017, at 20:00 UTC.

On the call today, on our English channel we have Glenn McKnight, [Judith Hellerstein], Alan Greenberg, Wesley Boudville, Nathalie Coupet, Murray McKercher, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Alfredo Calderon, Eduardo Diaz, Gordon Chillcott, Marita Moll, John Laprise, Allan Skuce, [inaudible], Eve Edelson, Julie Hammer, Javier Rua-Jovet.

Please let me know if I'm missing anyone. I see that Avri Doria and David Ervin have just joined us as well.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, this is Evan Leibovitch. I just joined by Adigo.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thanks so much. And I see Billy Michael Cunningham just joined us as well.

I see that we don't have anyone listed on the French channel for now, and we have received an apology from Leah Symekher.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Herb Waye, Silvia Vivanco, Evin Erdoğdu, and myself, Yesim Nazlar.

Our French interpreters today are Camila and Claire.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Finally, if I could please remind all participants on the phone bridge as well as on computer to mute your speakers, and also please state your names before speaking not only for the transcription purposes but also for the interpretation purposes as well.

Over to you, Glenn. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. I'm not sure if you caught it but Evan Leibovitch has joined us on the phone bridge as well. And please, if anyone is missing, please add your name to the chat so Yesim can add you to the list. Also, just one correction – there is one person on the French channel. It's Louis Houle.

Okay. Silvia has comments right off the bat. So Silvia, please.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello, yes. Thank you very much. I would like to introduce a new staff member. He is Evin Erdoğan. He is based in Turkey. And amongst his responsibilities he will be reporting [us] in the At-Large community, and he joins us in the position of SO/AC [inaudible]. He's a graduate of the Boston University where he studied International Relations, and he also participates in non-profit leadership. He's fluent in English and Turkish.

So welcome. Allow me to welcome Evin to our team. That's all. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. Welcome, Evin. If you have a chance, Evin, would you mind just flicking in your LinkedIn information so we can actually look into your background as well? It looks like an interesting background.

Welcome, everyone, to our first call in 2017. Thank you so much for joining us today. I'd like to introduce Herb Waye to start off an introduction on his role and the Code of Conduct. So I'm going to turn it over to Herb.

HERB WAYE:

Thanks very much, Glenn. I've actually been referred to as Herb Grey for those of you who don't know who used to be a Minister here in Canada with the government many years ago.

My name is Herb Waye. I'm the ICANN Ombudsman, and I'd like to [thank] Glenn and Judith for accepting my request to introduce myself to NARALO during this conference call. I promise I'm not going to take more than a couple of minutes of your precious time. I know how important these calls are and how fast 60 minutes or 120 minutes rolls by.

I also speak French so if you have questions you can ask me those questions in French. I can also speak French.

Thank you. I was appointed ICANN's third Ombudsman this summer, and I've been taking just about every opportunity I can to reach out to the communities to introduce myself and introduce my priorities and discuss [with them]. I have been with the Office of the Ombudsman for

over 10 years now as the adjunct. So I have a pretty solid understanding of the organization and its people, and the issues and the conflicts that frequently arise.

For those of you that are online, you can see the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior on your screen now. One of the priorities that I've taken on in my first year and through my term will be to promote the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior, because now finally the organization has and its people have a document or a set of rules that can be pointed at when inappropriate behavior happens.

Conflict and constructive criticism is a good thing because without it there would be no change or progress. Done in a respectful manner, ICANN is fueled by people challenging each other to bring about positive change. Done in a disrespectful manner or through intimidation or bullying, a well-intended message will often be perceived as a personal attack, and hostility will develop.

So I invite everyone, and I'm inviting everyone that I speak to across the organization, to live the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior, to use them as a guide, be respectful in online and face-to-face communication.

In closing, Copenhagen is approaching very quickly. I would just like to mention that I'm available to any of you in the ICANN community, and even if everything is going well, at the ICANN meetings I have an office so you can stop in and say hi. There are always maple cookies and maple sugar candy available to all of my guests. So please take advantage of that. One of the things that I am doing is my best to get

out and meet as many people in the community and across the organization as possible. That's why I really appreciate this opportunity to speak with you today. If anybody has any questions at all, please go ahead and ask. I'll [take a quick peek] in the chat.

I wish you all a productive call. I will post the information to my website and to the Expected Standards of Behavior here in the chat. Always [Inaudible] for you to add as a link for your personal information. Once again, Glenn and Judith, thank you for having me aboard. If anybody has any questions, I'm free to answer now. And if not, I will leave you to your work.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Thank you so much, Herb. I'm just looking to see if anyone has risen their hand to ask any [direct] questions. Anyone on Adigo want to speak up and ask Herb anything or comment?

Okay. Going once, going twice. Okay, thank you so much. I notice that Heidi has already put in the links to your page on ICANN and also the Code of Behavior. So that's great. Thank you so much for joining us today and again, as I said earlier, you're welcome to stay for our call. Not obligated, but you're welcome.

Okay, I'm going to turn to staff on the action items [again].

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, great. The action items of the December call are, "Glenn McKnight to draft a Certificate of Acknowledgement for Darlene Thompson for her contributions to NARALO." I believe, Glenn, you were in the process of finding the contact information for Darlene. However, that was not possible at the moment so we can consider that on hold or if you want I'll delete it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Let me respond. I'm still trying to pursue to find out where she's located. I did have an e-mail from her when she left NARALO, but I'm still trying to locate her. I understand she lives in Nova Scotia. So if anyone here is in communication with her separately – maybe Marita – who knows her through TeleCommunities Canada, if anybody who can try to contact her we'd love to be able to send her a certificate and an acknowledgement letter on her contribution. So please help me out if you can. Thank you. [Back to you].

JOLY MACFIE: [Inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, I heard somebody. Who is that?

JOLY MACFIE:

It's Joly saying thank you for your efforts on that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Joly. And it's you that should be acknowledged as well for making sure that [our] feet are to the fire on this. Thank you again.

Back to you, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you. Number two – “Silvia Vivanco to follow up with [inaudible] report from [Valerie] posted on the wiki page is linked to the agenda.”

Three – “Glenn McKnight to send the [inaudible] Fellowship information to all unaffiliated members.” And I believe that's completed. Correct, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Correct.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay. Four – “Volunteers for the General Assembly agenda,” and they are already noted as well. There is a wiki page linked to the agenda with the volunteers.

Five – “Gisella Gruber to arrange for a General Assembly remote participation.” And I can inform that is in progress. We are coordinating with IT staff so there will be remote participation hopefully at the GA. But that's to be confirmed.

The next one – “Glenn McKnight to circulate a survey one more time to select one slogan between the following two: ‘Many Voices, One Internet,’ and, ‘The Voice of North American End Users in ICANN.’” That was completed as well and is also on the agenda for today.

The last one – “Terri Agnew in coordination with Judith Hellerstein, send a Doodle for out for a call on the General Assembly Organizing Committee for the first week of January.” I have coordinated with Terri and she is sending the Doodle out this week.

That’s all. Thank you very much. [Over to you, Glenn].

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. Any questions for staff from anyone? Okay, Judith? Okay. Thank you.

Due to the heavy schedule, I’m going to table the community announcements because we have the next guest is our BCEC Committee, and Tijani and Julie have joined us as well. So who will take the podium first – Tijani or Julie?

JULIE HAMMER:

I’m happy to do that if Tijani is agreeable.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, of course.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It looks like we have confirmation. Julie, go ahead.

JULIE HAMMER: Thank you, Glenn, and good morning, everyone. I'm the Chair of the BCEC which is the Board Candidate Evaluation Committee. My two NARALO members are actually on the call – Louis Houle and Eduardo Diaz. We've been working for some time. We commenced our work on the 23rd of September facilitating the process of the call for Expressions of Interest and then the evaluation of the applicants for the Board selection for Seat [15] for the At-Large community.

As you would probably all have seen, we put out a call for Expressions of Interest from the 19th of October and allowed a month for those Expressions of Interest to come in. And by the final submission date of the 18th of November we had six completed Expressions of Interest. We subsequently sent out a request for references and there was a period of two weeks for those references to come in. That was by then the 2nd of December and we then performed quite a detailed evaluation process which concluded with our announcement of the BCEC slated candidates on the 16th of December.

In conjunction with that whole process, we actually spent quite a deal of time developing and determining our Code of Conduct, the candidate requirements, and of course that had to occur even before the Expressions of Interest went out. We did quite a lot of work on developing wiki tools to support our process, various e-mail pamphlets, and process planning.

There has been a great deal of work going on behind the scenes which resulted in the announcement on the 16th of December of the slated candidates.

Just to give you a little bit more information about our evaluation process, we initially anonymized the six applications and the committee did an initial look at those applications in a blind process. Subsequently, once the references were in we revealed the names, we made available to the committee all of the information about the applicants and that was then taken into consideration in the next stage of our evaluation which ended up being a more detailed dive into all of the documentation that had been submitted.

At an earlier stage in that process, once the names had been revealed to the committee, we then in accordance with the ALAC Rules of Procedure made public the names of all of the candidates that had applied. This is actually required in the Rules of Procedure, and one of the reasons for doing this is for transparency reasons but also if a number of candidates had begun making known the fact that they had made an application and so again, for reasons of a level playing field, it was important that all of the applicant's names were made public.

We actually finished our task a little bit earlier than our planned schedule a few days earlier and we announced the BCEC slate of candidates on the 16th of December. And as you would all be aware, those candidates are Alan Greenberg and Leon Sanchez. The next part of the process is being managed by Tijani who's Chairing the Board Member Selection Process Committee – the BMSPC – and we on the BCEC are now looking back and reviewing our process and seeing

whether there are recommendations that we would make for future rounds.

Glenn, I'm not sure whether you would like to have questions now or hand over to Tijani and leave questions until the end. I'll leave that to you to advise. Thanks very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Julie, I think it's a natural break before Tijani starts because it may [give a totally] different set of information. So [I'm] opening it to the floor to anyone who has a question or a comment for Julie.

Just looking. Those who are in Adigo please just speak up. Those who are on Connect just put up your hand.

Any questions for Julie? Okay, it looks like there is not. I don't see anything in the chat box. Okay.

Alright, so Tijani, please, would you go ahead?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes. Thank you very much, Glenn. Thank you, Julie, for introducing the subject and presenting the work of the BCEC. Do you hear me well?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, we do. Thank you so much.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay. Thank you very much. I am the Chair of the BMSPC and I would like to talk with you with the next steps of the process, which is the most important thing I think.

Now that the slate has been published by the BCEC, the RALOs – NARALO is one of them – have the opportunity to make a petition to add one or perhaps more applicants who have already submitted Eols, [meaning] one of the four remaining names that Julie published at the beginning, you may so make a petition to add one or more of those to be added to the final [slate].

This will continue until 19th of January. So you have still 19th of January to do so. And if there is one NARALO or more who made the petition and want to add candidates, every proposal, every added name, needs to have at least two other RALOs to support the petition. And the RALOs have until 29th of January to do so.

Now we have until 19th of January to make petition, and until 29th of January to support the petition, knowing that each petition has to be supported at least by three RALOs – one who make the petition and two to support it.

Those are the immediate next steps. But we decided that we will hold a call on 12 January very recently, very upcoming date to explain all these things to the RALOs, so it will be a call for the RALO leaders to explain all this and perhaps to give more details about the process.

If you have any questions about that, please don't hesitate. Thank you, [over] Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you so much, Tijani. I wasn't sure if I was on mute. You can hear me okay everyone?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I hear you well.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [Yes, we can hear you].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Okay. On this process I'm reading William Cunningham did put his name up in the process. He's got some questions. He is not satisfied with the process and wish to be added to the slate. So I want to give an opportunity to William to speak up and express his concerns and ask any questions or comments to Tijani.

William, the floor is yours if you have audio. William, can you hear me?

I'm sorry folks. I'm not being able to hear William, but William, can you speak up and if you have any questions on the [inaudible] if you could share [inaudible].

Okay, in the meanwhile, Tijani, please hang on for a couple minutes. William is trying to get connected on his audio. So perhaps, William are you there [inaudible]?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: [Okay, waiting].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Try one more time. William, can you hear me? William, can you go on?

Okay, looks like he's just trying to get unmuted or he can hear us but [inaudible].

WILLIAM MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM: Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, William. [Inaudible].

WILLIAM MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM: Yes, I think I'm on now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Go ahead, William.

WILLIAM MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM: Alright. Very good. Thank you very much. As I've been very clear about my interest in expanding the diversity and expanding the range of people who participate in this process to include populations that look like the rest of the globe. While I understand it's a very technical organization, there are a lot of moving parts, there are a lot of policies

and procedures that have been put into place over the course of years, I think that in this upcoming period globally, part of what is needed is to move away from the... My issue is that the normalized group of people who have been participating in everything and seem to control this process.

That is not unusual for organizations like this. I want to make that very clear. I also want to make clear that I don't doubt the value [adds] that the current group of people who are engaged in this process bring to the table. That is not my point. My issue is moving away from, once again, the small group, mainly non-minorities, who seem to control these processes.

So thank you for the opportunity. I'm interested in making sure that I track the process for the At-Large Board member selection. Those are my concerns. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, William. I think you're quite succinct on that. I want to turn to staff, Heidi in particular. Heidi, do you have any comments that you can help William in the process of the petition process or perhaps Tijani? I want to make sure this is as open and transparent as possible and he's given the best opportunity as possible to voice his opinion and actually petition his position. Heidi or Tijani, would you comment?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes. If he wants I can comment. I think that if NARALO thinks or feels that William would be a very good candidate, they may make a petition

to add him on the final slate. It is the responsibility of the RALO. Nobody can do it instead of the RALO. And once the RALO decides to make the petition and make the petition, two other RALOs have to support adding William on the final [slate].

This is the whole procedure for the petition. I cannot speak about the selection of the BCEC. It is what it is. Now the situation is this. If William wants to be added to the slate he has to convince NARALO or any other RALO to make the petition for him. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. Okay. I have two hands up. Heidi, you're first, then Evan. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much, Glenn. Just to comment on William's one concern of [us] being a small body – just to stress that both groups – both the BCEC and the BMSPC – were very carefully selected to ensure that all five regions of At-Large were represented on those groups. And there were new people. They're not the same what you are saying as being the same people making decisions. They were, the BCEC in particular, was a very newish group that came together and worked very well from a globally diverse perspective. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Heidi. I'll turn to Evan please.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi there. I'm a little confused by the complaint. William, are you petitioning to become a candidate yourself or are you complaining about the lack of diversity amongst the existing candidates?

WILLIAM MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM: I had put my name forward for the slate, wasn't selected, and once again, that is fine. I want to make very clear that I have no problem with the decision outcome. My concern, as always, has been with the decision process and how you get to that outcome and ensuring, once again, that it's not the same non-minority people who tend to control these organizations.

I get that you guys are reaching out and that's why I'm on the call and trying to do [some things] a little different.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm a little confused at what you call non-minority people. Okay, so we have two people running. Both are male. One is white, one is Latino. The person who's currently serving in that role –

WILLIAM MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM: No, hold on. Let me just –

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No, I want to get to the point of when you're talking about minorities and representation. I'm simply trying to get to the specifics of what is at hand as the complaint.

WILLIAM MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM: Got you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm both confused and a little irritated by this, so forgive me.

WILLIAM MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM: That is fine. What I'm talking about are specifically African Americans but more broadly, we're not playing the diversity game here. That's the first thing to keep in mind. The reason why diversity exists is I've said on this call many times is because of the Civil Rights movement which was started by black people. What I'm looking at is the lack of representation of black people. We're not playing the Latino game. We're not playing the white woman game. Okay? I'm talking about actual real diversity. Is that clearer? Is that clearer in terms of what my complaint is?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, Evan. Are you satisfied with that?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm satisfied that... I'm clear on the complaint. I'm not sure I agree with it, but you're clear in explaining it. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, folks –

WILLIAM MICHAEL CUNNINGHAM: Again, no question that not everybody is going to agree with everybody's perspective. I understand and respect that. I just want to be clear in terms of where I'm coming from. Once again, thanks for the opportunity.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much, William. And folks, we got into a really interesting discussion there and it's a valid discussion, but please say who you are for the transcript records. It's tough. This is being translated into French as well, so try to speak clearly and slowly so for the translators as well.

Okay, folks. I think we'll have to move on to the agenda, and I want to move to the next item. But Tijani and Julie, any other final comments before we move on?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No. Thank you. I only want to stress the fact that it is very, very, interesting and very important that you attend the NARALO [and the] call on 12 January. The exact date and time will be published I think tomorrow or something like this. So please come to these meetings. [That's what] will be more informed about the process. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Tijani. Julie, any final words?

JULIE HAMMER: Yes. I just wanted to make a couple of comments in response to William and just mention that it's not actually the committee's role to solicit applications but simply to evaluate the applications that are submitted. The committee deals with the applications that it is given, and indeed the applications were all male. That was something that disappointed us but not something we could do anything about.

I guess where I feel that William's real concerns about getting diversity onto the Board can be addressed is more in the area of the Nominating Committee selections rather than trying to have the At-Large Board member selection contributing to the diversity of the Board. I guess I'm just trying to say the BCEC must evaluate the applicants that it has. Thanks for the opportunity to say that. Thanks, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much, folks. Okay, due to time it's already halfway through our agenda and we're not even close to completing it.

The Tribal Ambassador Pilot Project was on the agenda. I don't see April or Valerie on the call unless they're in Adigo. Are either of you folks –

APRIL TINHORN: Glenn, I'm on V1800 number.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Go ahead. I'm not sure which one you are.

APRIL TINHORN: I'm April Tinhorn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, great. April, please go ahead.

VALERIE FAST HORSE: I'm on the phone, too.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Nice to see you both, or hear you. Okay, thank you. Would you guys go ahead, please?

APRIL TINHORN: I'll defer to Valerie first. She can take two of the three minutes.

VALERIE FAST HORSE: I'm not sure what you want me to report on. I've submitted a written report to you guys, so I don't know what else you want to know about.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: For the benefit of the community at large, where did you go, who funded it, and any kind of results. So, just very quickly.

VALERIE FAST HORSE:

The funding came from ICANN. I believe that I worked with the travel group there, but when we – I don't even know how to start here. I'm Valerie Fast Horse, I'm a Coeur D'Alene tribe member and a defendant of the Okanagan Indian Nations of Coeur D'Alene. I'm from Coeur D'Alene, Idaho and Vernon, B.C. Me and April Tinhorn were selected as the first – very first I believe – tribal ambassadors to attend ICANN. My work is in IT, so I was very interested in ICANN from the very early days when it was first born, practically back in the '90s.

I've been watching ICANN, but never knew how to participate, didn't know if it I could even contribute anything, but being invited to this first ICANN meeting, ICANN 57 in India was a really cool experience. I got to go in there and see exactly that there are a lot of moving parts, and ICANN has grown tremendously since its early days and it has become this really cool organization.

It's kind of like a technical United Nations type of organization, and there's so much to it. I really enjoyed it, I look forward to participating again, and I believe I will. I came back and talked to my tribal leaders, and told them about my experience. They were kind of interested and excited, and they want to participate at some point in the future as well. That's my experience in a nutshell.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you so much. Just a quick question, Valerie. What was your progress on meeting with GAC, the Chair of the GAC?

VALERIE FAST HORSE: I haven't really made much progress on that. It is my own fault. From the time I went to India up until even to this date, I'm having really horrible e-mail problems, mail server problems, and being the director of IT for the tribe it's my responsibility to try and work through that. So, I haven't really gotten to do much else outside of my own work.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

VALERIE FAST HORSE: I haven't made much progress, but I plan on following up as soon as I can get things settled down here.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, great. Thank you so much. Let's turn to April.

APRIL TINHORN: Hi, my name is April Tinhorn and I am an involved member of the Hualapai tribe, and I'm also Navajo and Chinese. The only thing I knew about ICANN prior to going to Hyderabad was jumping on one call when I was working with Native Public Media, so I guess that and the context of buying domain names as I own company. Those were the only contacts I had to ICANN.

So going to ICANN, it was very eye opening just to see how the Internet, the whole purpose of the Internet is that it's open and available to everybody, and that's good, but then from an organizational standpoint,

I saw how complex and kind of cumbersome that makes it to actually administer some of the functions that ICANN does within it.

So, from my perspective, I was interested in knowing – I didn't even know there was a business group, an end user group, and the government group. From what I saw going through the fellowship courses, the workshops we went to daily, that was pretty much that, and I think the Board, the Board membership. Those were kind of the items that interested me. I think the question that was posed to us when we were to submit our wrap-up report was to answer the question, “Should the tribal ambassador program be continued or not?” As it's a pilot program.

My answer would be yes. ICANN should continue the pilot program, and continue to support ICANN's value to seek broad, informed participation reflecting the functional and geographical diversity of the Internet. I think in my report, I wrote more from an evaluation of the Tribal Ambassador program, and what really worked was that we were fortunate to have a very knowledgeable and concerned mentor who helped with on-the-ground type of stuff that [we're] seeing there.

ICANN itself, NARALO, you all made many resources available to us as ambassadors without having to financially worry about getting there, and then also different members of NARALO and other groups who were there were very helpful and interested about this program, and about us as first ambassadors.

Looking forward to the program, there were things I wrote in my report, but I guess the top thing as an area of improvement would be to have

clear roles, clear communication and clear expectations to move the pilot program forward. Thank you for this opportunity, and definitely I'm [appreciate] of the [inaudible].

I've also talked with different folks in my network, whether it be the American Indian Science & Engineering Society, which is a national organization I believe from elementary up to post-doc and professional levels and I'm working to get on the agenda to share what the tribal pilot program is in ICANN, because I believe there are other professionals who would be a great asset to ICANN, and then also to present this to our local Chamber of Commerce for Native Americans.

Also, I know with the fellowship there's a high school – or was it a high school and college opportunities? And I want to share that when their conference is back in the North American region. So, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you so much. Just to let you both know, and for Loris and Matthew's benefit as well, the Internet Society which I've been hounding for years to expand their ambassador program has actually included in their new ambassador program the inclusion for First Nations or American Indians in their application process.

So, historically, just like we have had for the last ten years, we've been excluded from the fellowship program and we've had to work with Loris on an excellent proposal. And thanks again, Loris, for your hard work, and thanks ICANN for supporting the proposal.

I think we've done well. Both of you have served your communities well, and we really do appreciate the time that you've put in, not only being there but doing the report as well. I want to turn to Judith. Judith, please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. Thanks again to April and to Valerie for their contributions. We'll definitely work on the communications part of it. And I think a lot of the issues were in some communication lapses that we didn't know about but happened in the fellowship program with the addition of [inaudible] onto the staff. So, I think that was also problematic at that time, but we didn't really know about that.

But also, Heidi is going to look into the next round – fellowship has expanded the program, and so they're including now people from indigenous tribes who happen to live in developed countries. That was excluded before, that's why we created a separate one.

But now, the fellowship is open to all, and they're looking at basically people who are from disadvantaged areas as well to apply. This next round in Johannesburg is limited to alumni, and Heidi is going to look into whether you guys are classified as alumni or not so that you could apply if you so desired, because I think the application closes at the end of the month.

But in October, the round that will open in March for October is open to everyone. So, we look forward to hearing from Heidi what she finds out on whether you two are allowed to be counted as alumni and apply for the Johannesburg meeting. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you, Judith. Okay, again –

APRIL TINHORN: Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead.

APRIL TINHORN: We did receive certificates of completion from the Fellows program.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, so I think long story short, you're probably qualified. Please look up the – don't forget to put your name in if you're interested, because it sounds like you're eligible, but I'm not the one making that decision, so feel free to go through the process. Thank you again.

Okay, folks, I'm going to move on to the next big item on the agenda, but it's going to be fairly short given the time. The ICANN also funded us in the last round, thanks to our submission which was the previous year that got tabled to this year is the NARALO General Assembly, which is going to be collocated in the ARIN event that's starting on the first week in April. It's going to be in New Orleans, Louisiana. We have the confirmation of all the attendees. In fact, Alan, you're on the line. Do we have the unaffiliated chosen person to be included into the confirmation of attendees?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. We're still checking to make sure that we have the correct list of people who applied, so the answer is no, not yet, but we should by the end of the day.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Yes, because staff is asking us to get the list. The ALSes that are going have been confirmed, and we will be sending out a survey very soon on asking what your food requirements are or if you'd like to volunteer on different parts of the agenda.

Just to let you know that we do have two information sessions that are coming up, one in February and one in March. We'll be sending that around for everyone to participate. Chris [inaudible] who's on the Advisory Committee will actually be running those two sessions.

They'll be fairly quick one hour sessions, just to get to know ARIN so when you get there, you're actually quite familiar with what ARIN is. The other thing that we hope to do in logistics is have a table with our NARALO banner and our mail cards, and information to share our information of what NARALO is and what ICANN is to the rest of the community.

So, due to time, I'm going to rush through to the next item. John, are you online to talk a little bit about the Rules of Procedures update? I'm looking to John More. John is the penholder on the updating of the rules of procedures. Every RALO is going through the process of looking at their MoU and their rules of procedures to update those to – again, it's

not meant to be codifying every single step in the process, it's meant to be a clear, easy to read document, and John has had great experience.

He's worked also with Evan in the past on rules of procedures for ISOC and the Advisory Council, so I think next week, John, we're having a meeting with the working group to discuss the Rules of Procedures. We hope to have a draft version at the April meeting, and John will be on the schedule to talk about the rules of procedures at that meeting. Any questions on item number five? And I don't see John.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: John is online.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, but he's not responding to my request to say something.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, John, if you want to say something more, you can say something. He may not have heard you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, one last time, John, any comments? Okay, let's move on. Okay, communication. Just a quick update, we had a call – Judith and I – with Chris Mondini on what his regional planning is with Joe Catapone which was a really good meeting.

This was the second time we've actually met with Chris, A to find out what he's doing in his department of the GSE, as well as what we're

doing. So, it was a really good meeting that we had in terms of effective communication of each of us, what we're doing.

We also have been trying to track all the stuff that we are actually doing, work that's completed or work in progress. If you look at the link in the agenda today, you'll see a NARALO work in progress. I'd like to turn to Eduardo. Eduardo, can you talk about the newsletter?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes, but I wanted to comment something about the Chris Mondini planning. Is there any place we can look at what they're planning to do that we can look at?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Actually, I don't have anything from them, but that is a very good comment. I will get some information from Chris. He must have. The problem is North America hasn't I guess – Judith, help me on this one. I don't believe they codified their strategic plan as opposed to other regions, so we are missing any kind of documentation to share with you.

But in passing, they have scheduled events that they're doing. That's basically all I have. I don't have that much insight for you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, North America does not have a strategic plan, so we don't know exactly what they have. We do know that they are planning. Joe Catapone is going to be presenting at South by Southwest, which happens during the ICANN meeting in March, and that they will be

having a panel there and doing some outreach at South by Southwest which I have [inaudible] a couple years ago.

But as [inaudible] a calendar. We do have the outreach for North America chart that the Outreach Engagement Committee has done under Glenn's leadership, but as to anything else, we are not clued into that.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, folks. I just want to finish this [inaudible]. So when you met with him, you didn't ask him if he's going to have a specific plan for North America, or [inaudible]

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

No, Ed, we did ask that. We are still in discussions. GSE doesn't think that we need one, but we do think we need one, so we're still in negotiations on that end.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Well, I'm always confused as to what they're supposed to be doing in North America [inaudible]

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Actually, Eduardo, we do have Joe Catapone on the call. I want to give the opportunity to Joe to respond. Joe, do you have [inaudible]

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

JOE CATAPONE: Hi, Glenn, how are you? I wasn't on the call with you guys, so it's hard for me to speak to what you guys are speaking to. I know the other regions have stakeholder-driven regional strategies. They're stakeholder-driven, they're not staff-driven.

We don't have one in North America because we have so many participants already and sort of our focus right now is turning from representation to active participation, having people comment on policy, join working groups, that sort of thing. I think that probably needs to be more robust.

So, that's kind of what we're looking at in 2017 and beyond. Eduardo, happy to talk with you separately if that's helpful. And just a correction, Judith, I'm not speaking at South by Southwest. It's Chris and a few others.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Yes, I will reach you offline. Thank you.

JOE CATAPONE: Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Can I suggest an action item, staff, on this item? Because I don't think we gave an adequate answer to the community on the strategic

stakeholder outreach strategy. Perhaps we can do a conference call, and anyone interested, we'd like to embrace as many people as possible to discuss this and we can put it as an agenda item when we're at our GA.

So, perhaps we could do a planning call. So, we'll follow up with that as an action item, if that's good with everyone.

Okay, I'm going to move forward because I want to give adequate time on item number seven, which is the special budget request. Just to bring you guys up to date, we've worked on an electronic version of the NARALO – that e-version for the brochure, which is clickable. Perhaps, Silvia, could you put it on the center panel?

So, it's consistent with communication strategy to have a certain look and feel. It's still our logo, it's still our yellow feature, but you could see that's a nice, cleaner design than what we've had in the past. We'll send this to everyone to give feedback. This is not going to be printed, so it's very easy to be altered.

Again, one of the features is a generic e-mail address, so whoever comes into the position, that e-mail will continue to have some legacy. You can see the logo that the community has voted on, "Many voices, one Internet" and on the second half, we give a bit of a legacy information and the original photo that was actually done in San Juan which when NARALO over ten years ago actually signed the MoU. And since our MoU is being updated, perhaps that's something when we have ICANN 61 in San Juan again, it might be something for us to consider to reenact.

So, the second thing that we're working on is the mail card. The mail card is – again if Silvia could put the front page of it on first of all – a yellow card. Again, very simple mail card with the idea just to prompt people to go to our website to gain information, to complete the information on it. The mail card is designed, that's going to be printed. You should have copies of it when you're at our General Assembly as well. So, while that's posting up – and business cards should be provided too I believe. Right, Silvia? So, there is the content that we're looking at for the mail card. Again, mail cards are much smaller, they're much more direct information. Then we'll provide you the links in the chat as well, please, Silvia.

Any comments on both the brochure and the mail card would be welcome. We need to get your feedback so we can make any other modifications to it for [Comm] to start printing our new publications.

Okay, so I want to turn to item number seven, because this is an item that requires some expediency. It's the FY18 special budget request. I want to turn to Heidi. Heidi, please, if you can give an overview on the FY18 budget development workspace.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you, Glenn. Hi, everyone, it is that time of the year again. It is the fiscal year additional budget request time, and as noted on the Fiscal Year 18 budget – of the additional budget space that I'm going to put into the chat in just a moment, the RALOs and all ALSes now have the opportunity to develop requests for additional budgets, additional activities that will go through additional budgets within ICANN.

The deadline for these requests is the 16th of this month, so it's not very many days to go. The process is for any At-Large Structure or individual who has requests to go through their RALO, and then that request – if it's approved by the RALO – will go up to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, and then the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, the FBSC will review it, and if they have any comments, they'll ask for revisions to make the request stronger. And then, if it is approved, it will be submitted to the ICANN controller, and then it will start an internal process. Then in May, the Board will be approving all of the additional requests for Fiscal Year 18.

So, I think on this page I'm going to put into the chat, there are criteria [both] by the finance department. Please do look into those, there are specific requirements there. And then there are also ALAC criteria that are in addition to those that are set out by the finance department.

I think that's it for the deadlines and the process. Glenn? Glenn, if you're trying to speak – there we go.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, sorry, I tried to mute while I'm not speaking. What's the deadline date again? Loris is asking.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, so the deadline for ALSes and the RALOs to get the initial request to the FBSC is the 16th of the month, and then the 30th of January is where the FBSC has to have all the final requests into the controller. So, not

much time. If you wish to submit requests from last year, I think you can basically just update the template.

Loris, we are looking into the need for another tribal ambassadorship. Siranush is looking into the system right now if Valerie and April could apply for the Johannesburg event as official alumni. And Judith, I know that there are questions that you have about the captioning [project], etc., so Rob and I are speaking later today and we'll get back to you on that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you. I believe Eduardo or Alfredo or Javier is on the call that they actually are working on a submission. Did you guys want to make a comment?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes. This past year, we went to the IGF in Mexico, and we attended this session about the Internet Governance schools from all over the world. At the end, we found out that there have not been any schools made for Internet governance in North America.

So, we have going to submitting this budget cycle to see if we can get funding for a North American school of Internet governance, and we wanted to perform this about two days before the ICANN that is going to occur in Puerto Rico. So, that's where we are on that. If Alfredo or Javier wants to say something else, please add to this. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Javier, you have the mic. Go ahead.

JAVIER RUA JOVET: Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead, yes, thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, Javier, we can hear you.

JAVIER RUA JOVET: Alright. Yes, so we know the deadlines are really tight on this. We're already working on the document for the budget. We're very excited about this, about having an Internet Governance school in Puerto Rico, close to – just right before ICANN 61. In San Juan, we're going to have the speakers here already. We're going to have critical mass to do that school, so we're starting out. The team right now is Eduardo, Alfredo and I. It is going to grow, but we just wanted the community to know this and support it. It's the first Internet governance school in North America, so we're excited about it. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you so much. Marita, do you have your hand up? Sorry, can I have Alfredo because he's on the same topic first, and then Marita? Go ahead, Alfredo.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes. I want to support what Eduardo said. Back when we were supposed to have ICANN here in Puerto Rico, we were building up for that event. Not exactly an IG school of Internet governance, but since we went to Mexico and I also went to the Southern School of Internet Governance in Washington D.C., I thought that the experience was really good, and that we need to have one in North America.

As Eduardo mentioned when we went to this session in the IGF in Mexico, it was surprising to learn that there isn't a North America school of Internet governance in place. So, we're going to take the initiative and we're working hard on it. And with the collaboration of all the universities here in Puerto Rico, we think we will be able – well, I know we will be able to do a great North America school of Internet governance. So, I support the idea and I'll be working with the team closely on this effort. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. I want to turn to Marita.

MARITA MOLL: Hi, can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can.

MARITA MOLL: Yes, I think that's a great idea. Internet governance school is something I've been thinking of, and I think there should be one. I'm looking for –

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Any other comment, Marita?

MARITA MOLL: Hello, can you hear me better now?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead.

MARITA MOLL: Hello, can you hear me better?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

MARITA MOLL: Yes, when I first saw this call out for projects, I was looking for other kinds of projects that had been approved in the past, and I haven't been able to find anything. So as someone new, I'm in a bit of a quandary to see. I think Internet governance school is a great thing. What other sorts of things could people propose? As a new person, if anyone can enlighten me on that, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Marita, what I'll do is I'll walk you through the previous funded projects. I'll arrange a Skype call or a phone call when you have a chance. I'd be happy to do that. Anybody else want to comment, or does anyone else have a proposal that they want NARALO to be informed that they're interested in submitting?

So, this is the reason why I'm hanging on this call these extra minutes. This is an important item. Marita is going to be submitting something. At this stage, she just wants to know what has been done in the past. And second of all, we do expect one from three individuals from Puerto Rico, particularly ISOC Puerto Rico.

Any other final comments?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Glenn, this is Evan, the Evan that's not staff.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, go ahead, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Well, now the call has two Evans, so we need to make that clear. Sorry. My ALS will be probably working on a proposal, and we're going to be looking for collaboration from one or two other ALSes, possibly ISOC-DC and maybe one or two others. So if you're doing a call with Marita, the talks about previous successful applications, I wouldn't mind being involved in that. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Thanks, Evan. If there's anyone else that you're saying, whether it's David Vorst or as you say John More, just let me know who else and we'll allow staff to set up that call. So, I'll follow up with Silvia for an action item on arranging that call.

Okay, folks. We are getting over time. We are not going to have a chance to really get into the outreach and engagement. My last comment, folks, we have one CROPP trip left. We're quite good, we have done very well in using four of the five, but we have one left. So, it has to be before the end of June, and it has to be eight weeks in advance.

So, it's a new year, we're in a pretty good position, but if you have, one, that you've never been on a trip the year before, and two, that it's applicable to the strategic plan or it has value, please bring it up, please complete the form. If you don't know how to do the form, ask Judith or myself, and we can help you with it. Okay. Judith, final word?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

No, I do not have any final words, but stay tuned for people to those going out about people who have signed up who want to work on the agenda for the GA, and if you haven't sent me your name and you're interested, please let me know and we're happy to have you [on our committee].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Great, thanks folks. Sorry for the rush through the agenda, but we look forward to talking to you next month, and don't forget in February we do have the orientation session with ARIN. Again, thanks all for joining. Bye, everybody.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you, Glenn. Thank you, Judith and everyone. Bye.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Bye, all.

YESIM NAZLAR: This meeting is now adjourned, so you will now be disconnected. Thank you very much for your participation, and have a lovely rest of the day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]