
RECORDED VOICE: This meeting is now being recorded.

AVRI DORIA: Thank you. Okay. So this is meeting six, [inaudible] on staff accountability. 15th December a little after [inaudible]. So, basically the agenda review, and then we'll do the [inaudible], and the attendance. Okay.

So, what we want to... The main thing on the agenda is the review of the proposed next steps. I don't believe that we have any document to review yet from staff. There is not an entry for that in the agenda. If I missed them, then we should add it.

So, review of the next steps. [Inaudible] and we're doing the review steps, the first two documents being worked on, and we'll be looking for volunteers for those, and I should have any other business there, but it's there by default.

Does anybody see any other business that they've got, that they know of at the moment?

Okay. Then I'll ask again at the end of the meeting, or if Jordan comes in and takes over chairing, he'll ask. Okay. So any objections to going with this agenda?

Okay. Attendance will be taken from the Adobe Connect room. I see at least one phone number there. [Inaudible] on the phone?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GEORGE SADOWSKI: George.

AVRI DORIA: Oh, thank you. Hi George. Now I recognize what voice I had earlier. I heard a voice I recognized, but not quite. Welcome, George. Okay. So, is there anyone else on the phone that isn't on Adobe? Okay. There isn't? Okay. So, we'll proceed. The [SO I-Check?] as usual, everybody needs to update their [inaudible] have changed. Did anybody's change?

Nope. Okay. Then we'll move on to the item on the agenda. Let me get up. So, that is a, as it indicates there, it is a [inaudible] doc. Everyone should be able to comment and make suggested changes on it.

So, basically where we're out now, let me see. Jordan and I together at the, while we were both at the IGF meeting last week, we looked at our schedule. We looked at the fact that we are obviously very late with things, and basically came up with this plan for how to proceed, and how to get ourselves on target, at least on track one, since we're obviously not making track two.

And I talked a little bit to the chairs in the background, and told them where we were at on this. So, Jordan and I missed the last leadership meeting, that the chairs hold, so we didn't end up putting it in the last plenary meeting we had that the chairs [inaudible].

Okay, so we've basically put together this, we'll look at it. But basically, we look at our requirements [inaudible] so, by two documents. So, the first requirement, the CWG accountability work with ICANN to develop a document that clearly describes the role of ICANN, staff vis a vis the

ICANN Board, and the ICANN community. This document should include a general description of the powers invested in ICANN staff by the Board of Directors that need and do not need approval.

So, we scope this out. We figured this was a relatively short document. It would specify the role of staff for community, and you know, we do have information to go on from [inaudible] talks and other issues like that, to staff [inaudible] community. And also specifies the relationships between, staff to Board, and the usual relationships between them.

Staff to community, Board to community. It describes any proposed changes or clarification, i.e., if after having described it, we see things that perhaps aren't clear, or things that we would perhaps recommend would be different, as we mentioned. Describing the activities that should be started, continued, stopped.

Authority, and then basically summarize our recommendation. So, I want to stop there, and see, get opinions, get comments on this particular document outline. This one basically, Jordan and I each took one of the documents. Jordan, as a co-rapporteur, will be, you know, appointed on this one, and I will be on the other one that we [inaudible] work with.

So, I see no hands. So, does that look... In other words, this looks like a reasonable outline for document A?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Avri, may I make a comment?

AVRI DORIA: Please.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: It looks like... [CROSSTALK] ...you've completed the triangle here and it looks fine. The only issue is that, the issue of the roles of the Board and the relationships between the Board and the community, are somewhat outside the mandate of the group. Now, there is nothing wrong with putting a description in there, as long as it's not meant to be prescriptive.

I understand why you would do it, and I think it's probably a good idea.

AVRI DORIA: Okay, thank you. That is a good note. That... And I can add. So, this would be just de-scriptive only. Okay. I wrote that [CROSSTALK]...

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: It's not a big deal. It's just, you really want the entire triangle to be described according to the way you see it.

AVRI DORIA: I don't know if this is reasonable, and I see Klaus has his hand up, so let me answer and then I'll go to Klaus. Is that, if in the conversation, we actually saw something, it wouldn't be miss to note it, I would also think, that we wouldn't be working recommendations on it.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Sure.

AVRI DORIA: Okay. Klaus, please.

KLAUS STOLL: I hope you can hear me. Morning, Klaus. I just want to say yes, as a framework, as a layout for the document, I think that's fine. And I just simply think that we should get right into it, and add as needed, or look at it as a work in progress. I don't think [inaudible] short outline there, as with the one which we have to follow religiously.

Otherwise, [inaudible] and actually quite interested in contributing.

AVRI DORIA: Thank you. Yes, I think an outline is a starting point, it evolves while the document is being written, and nothing religious about it leads to it in my viewpoint.

I don't know anyone else. So okay. And good to hear that you're going to volunteer on that one, because I will be coming back to the volunteers, but I'm happy to hear that. So, no other comments on that one. So, we'll go with that on document A starting point.

As I said, Jordan will be the penholder, editor on that one. I don't know if he's done it yet, but we'll set up a document, that document with that initial starting point. And, you know, he'll be editor. Perhaps others of you will join him as editor. That's up to you all. But everyone will be

entered for comment mode, and then you all can work out who is actually doing the editing once you start working on it and see who actually is editing.

Okay. So then moving on to document B. This is the one that I'll be initial pen on, and you know, responsible for delivering. And I have already a draft document, and I'll send out the, I'll put the [inaudible]. Okay, CCWG accountability work with ICANN to be considered a code of conduct, transparency criteria, training, and key performance indicators to be followed by staff in relation to their interactions with all stakeholders.

Establish regular independent internal community surveys and audits to track progress, and identify areas that need improvement, and establish appropriate processes to escalate issues, and both the community and staff members to raise issues.

This work should be linked closely with the ombudsman enhancement item in work stream two. And this would seem to be a slightly longer document. Probably in the 20-page. You know, it's not an assigned page limit, it was just our estimation of what kind of work item it was.

So, set our current plan measures in place, code of conduct, transparency criteria, training, VPIs, we [inaudible] with stakeholders, independent, certainly, audit, escalation process, and putting ombudsman complaints officer, etc.

So, on this, you know, we'll be filling in, because what it does, the information that we'll get from staff will help us fill that in, and also we'll just scour the [inaudible] and see what we can find to document it

as best we can. Then assess current planned measures in place. Describes any proposed changes and clarifications. Describes any activities should we started [inaudible] recommendation.

So, the same end format as the other one, in terms of, you know, what's going on. Do we need to understand anything better? Do we see anything that needs changing, and a discussion of activities, that either should be occurring or shouldn't be occurring, and [inaudible] of recommendation.

So that's the outline for the second one. And any comments on that? On the hand?

GEORGE SADOWSKI: Yes, please.

AVRI DORIA: Okay, George, there are no hands, but please go ahead.

GEORGE SADOWSKI: Thank you. Some clarification on line one. Excuse me. I think what you're talking about, CCWG staff accountability group will work with... You don't mean for the whole CCWG accountability phase [CROSSTALK]?

AVRI DORIA: This was the mandate that was given... So, the mandate was given to CCWG accountability. We're doing the work now.

GEORGE SADOWSKI: Okay. Then second comment on line one, when you say work with ICANN, it probably would be useful for you to say, we'll work with ICANN Org, as Göron puts it, or ICANN Board, or ICANN org and ICANN Board, simply to clarify who you're going to be working with.

AVRI DORIA: Again, this is quoted from the mandate. So yeah, that is understood, but I won't change that document. Perhaps we can add a footnote to, you know, to this, and the work is being done in the sub-group, so of course, the sub-group only recommends to the full group, when you get right down to it.

And that by ICANN [inaudible] we're working with. So, I can annotate it, if you think that's necessary, but this is actually a quote from the work given to us. Right. [CROSSTALK]

GEORGE SADOWSKI: Yeah, agreed.

AVRI DORIA: Thank you. Any other comment on this?

I see none. So, I can assume that this is okay as the starting point for document B.

Okay. I'll be looking for volunteers to help on this one. Okay. Going on to the next step. So, I guess the two questions are, are these

specifications okay? Now, I've asked about each of them individually. Does it look like we're missing something?

Is there a document that we haven't put down or some other activity or issue? Or does this adequately set out the work we need to get done?

Okay. Hearing nothing, I'll assume that unless something comes up again, again nothing is cast in stone, you know, that should we find other work that needs to be done, etc. we can add it. So, we'll go with these two as our plan.

Okay, so, the plan for this meeting has been to work through the work plan, which we're doing. Discuss the ICANN answers to questions, if available, that wasn't on the agenda. And then establish... So that was our agenda for this one.

We've laid out the agendas for the meetings going forward, to try and get this work done so that we have a draft outcome for the plenary in Copenhagen. So, no more calls after today until the New Year. We work through the draft of document A on our next meeting on 5 January.

Then on 19 January we start out just checking any changes that had to be made to document A, and then working through document B. That would be the 19th of January. 2nd of February, we test agreed changes to document B. We finalize A for CCWG plenary. We can send A, or hopefully, we can send A to CCWG plenary at that point.

16th we finalize B. At that point, both documents should be headed to plenary reading. Then we have a 2nd March, and then we have a plenary. So, that doesn't give us a whole lot of slippage room.

You know, we need to get the drafts done over the holiday and the beginning of the year. Both Jordan and I agreed that we had time during the holidays to spend some of our time on getting these, getting parts of them in there. So, open up to comments on this, a schedule that we're attempting to get on at least some schedule, since we list our previous schedule while we're waiting and then not really knowing really how to start while we're waiting.

So, anybody have a comment? Okay. So, we'll go with that schedule. We'll go with those tentative agenda items, planned going forward. Obviously, we'll add items as they're needed, and I'll report back on this to the leadership and to the plenary, once it's time for another plenary meeting.

Okay. So, anything else on the plan going forward? The proposed next steps? Then I want to move on to volunteers. We need volunteers for both teams. I'm happy to hear that Klaus has volunteered on document A. Yes, Klaus, I see your hand.

KLAUS STOLL:

Just one... Sorry, Klaus speaking. I just wanted to [inaudible] question. You know in both documents, there will be based on a lot of existing documents. Do we have all of the existing documents which refer to document A and B available? And make them [inaudible]?

AVRI DORIA:

Yes. At this point, we are still waiting for those documents, but we will find what we could find. You know, and that's kind of what I meant. Many of these documents are in our pending requests from the staff, but we've basically decided at the time, meet our schedule, we need to do the best we can moving forward, and see what we can find, see what we can dig up, and hopefully the documentation will be forthcoming real soon now.

So, but I don't think, unless Karen has a different answer, but I don't see her hand up. So I don't, I haven't seen the document yet, and you know, but we'll have to find what we need to find, basically, [inaudible].

And if we got blanks, then we'll have blanks and we'll go forward with, you know, the page left intentionally blank or something. Yes Klaus?

KLAUS STOLL:

Avri, I'm sorry about that, but I think we should expedite or encourage staff to make these documents available as quickly as possible because a, in the efficiency of work can be with respect to the quality of the work. [Inaudible] everything [inaudible] and not to work with plans and things like that.

And [inaudible] administrative task, or how to say, it doesn't involve rocket science to point out the relative parts of what exists in ICANN. I think there should be a way to encourage staff to get it done as quickly as possible, so that we can work with a few set of tools. Thank you.

AVRI DORIA: Yes, thank you Klaus. Great, okay. Yes, is that George? Please, George.

GEORGE SADOWSKI: Yes. I think, I would support what Klaus is saying in large part because ICANN is preparing to close down for a week at Christmas, and if you want documents by the beginning of January, you're not going to get them unless you ask for them almost immediately.

AVRI DORIA: We've asked for them in the past, and fairly consistently. It's just that we need to start the work with what we've got. But yes, we've asked for them, and anything that, you know, and anything that can be said to encourage their delivery, would be very much appreciated.

So, yeah, no, I very much agree. Yeah, and as Karen says in the notes, I've been told that it's being worked on, and that it should be sent soon. So, you know, I have every hope. I'm very optimistic.

GEORGE SADOWSKI: Are they sending them one by one? Or is it a matter of trying to get the whole package together before they're sent? The letter...

AVRI DORIA: I don't know. It's a black box to me, and I would only be guessing. But we certainly haven't received any. So, you know, but I do not know. Okay.

So yes, the schedule is pushing it. But just felt that we had to start working on this. And as I say, even if we got blank spaces, but I do think, just from looking around and such, going to, for example, the, some of the benchmarks that they've shown us on slides at various presentations of staff and project benchmarking, and things like that.

I think that we, even without direct documentation, with some effort, we can glean some of it from just things that the staff has told us. For example, Göran's talks and his blog. And you know, the metrics presentations that they've shown us.

I forget what the proper... The KPI indicators and pictures that they've shown in various presentations over the years, and now all of the operational improvements that were made during Fadhi's regime. You know, all those things are there. They gave us presentation. So, having the direct documentation would be best, and that's what we asked for.

But I do think that with a little bit of, this is me talking with my researcher hat on. With a little bit of digging from presentations and blogs and other things like that, we can construct a picture and get it corrected as needed.

Optimism. Okay. So, any other comments? Yes. Thank you George. Any other comments? Karen added, it is my understanding that they are responding to all questions. And I think that's wonderful, and very much appreciated. And I know it's probably a whole lot of work to find all of these things and get them together.

Okay. So, having said all of that, back to volunteers. [Inaudible] dissuaded from looking for volunteers. So the document will be done

the way, you know, we've always done the document, which is they'll be a number of editors, as I said, initially Jordan and I will be editors and we'll probably be editors on each other's too.

And if other people want to take on some of that role as the work goes on, they can certainly... Otherwise, everybody in the group will have the ability to comment and to suggest. But I'd really like to get at least a small writing group of like three of us per document that people say, you know, they'll do more than just happen to go suggesting comment, but we'll actually put some time into it.

I'm hoping Klaus, that that's what you meant, when you say volunteer for A. And I'm wondering if we have any other volunteers for putting in a little bit of the research, putting in a little bit of the assembling and writing. I see no writing.

I guess, for the moment, we'll go with Klaus is the only one that stepped up to it, and hopefully the rest of you will at least dip into the document, when you recreated them, and may actually decide to help with the writing of these things, the collecting of the...

You know, I'd ask if any of you have any of that information, especially before you get the answers, you know, contributing that would be a good thing, whether, you know, however it gets there. I think most of you, when you're suggesting a comment, unless you've got, you know, a Gmail account logged in, you know, you show up as anonymous [inaudible] on the screen, and I believe your comments do go in anonymously, unless you name them.

But in any case, so hopefully people will contribute to the text, that should be to the content, the research, and we'll get answers soon. Okay, I've done most of the talking, accept for George, thank you, and Klaus, thank you.

Alan, oh thank you, Alan, I will put time in reviewing when something is drafted, but volunteering to do the work is less realistic. Thank you Alan. I have said the same thing in other groups, so I understand completely, but thank you for that.

So, as I said, the volunteer remains open. We're at any other business now. If we don't have anything else to talk about, I won't waste anymore of anybody's time, and please, if you've got the time put aside, spend the 30 minutes looking into this. I've already created one document. Let me give the... I'll put that in the...

Document B has been started. And anyone who has the link can comment. So, anybody that has any inkling during this now 29 minutes left on the hour, please take the time to jot some notes there, you know?

Okay. Anything else?

I close the meeting. I thank you for listening to me today. And happy holidays to you all, unless, of course, we have another meeting together before the holidays, in which case, it will be happy holidays then. Thanks a lot.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]