
YEŞİM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Pre-ICANN 57 Webinar taking place on Tuesday, the 25th of October, 2016 at 18:00 UTC. We will not be doing the roll call, as it's a webinar, but if I could please remind all parties on the phone bridge as well as computers to mute your speakers and microphones, and to always state your name for the transcript purposes. Thank you for joining, and I will now turn it over to our moderators, Leon Sanchez and Alan Greenberg. Thank you very much.

LEON SANCHEZ:

Thank you very much, Yeşim. This is Leon Sanchez. The objective of this call is to review our activities for the Hyderabad meeting, and of course, review some of the logistics and how we're going to organize our work during these new strategy meetings, general assembly.

We do have an agenda for our meeting in Hyderabad, and I think that the full schedule is now live, online. We have switched the format of the schedule. As you might remember, we used to have a full schedule that was visible from the meeting website, and you could see the full schedule; and now we have a new view or format for the schedule. It's handled by icann.org, and it conveniently allows you to sign in with Facebook and organize your schedule in different ways, and also keep it in your mobile app. So I would definitely encourage you to take a look at this schedule. Gisella has posted a link to the schedule in the chat, so I would now like to turn to Alan. Do you want to add something to this, Alan?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. We seem to have some background noise, or maybe it was coming from you; I'm not sure.

LEON SANCHEZ: I do have some background noise.

ALAN GREENBERG: Ah, okay. Then we are on Item Two of the agenda. It reads "Presentation of ALAC Sessions and Objectives." That, in fact, should read "of the At-Large Leadership" – because it includes ALAC plus RALO Leadership – "Sessions and Agendas." And if we can have the first day – the detailed agenda for the first day on the screen.

Thank you, and if that's as large as it could be, or – I'm not sure if everyone can read it. Heidi, can you scroll it as we go along? I believe if you scroll it, it overrides people's individual scrolling. Is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm not sure. Can everyone see that I'm scrolling right now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So let's go ahead with that, and keep in mind that this is a new meeting format, so we do have several additional columns. What we're looking at today is in English; once they're finalized, we will be

translating them into French and Spanish, and then adding those links to different pages.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Which means, among other things, they will print on a single – on a small number of pieces of paper and be of a legible font size, so thank you very much for that.

We have, total, scheduled eight ALAC At-Large Leadership Working Sessions over several days, plus Wrap Up Sessions. We are starting on the very first day, which used to be a Saturday and is now – sorry – and is now a Thursday. That first day is running in parallel with PDP Sessions within the GNSO, and I will, to the extent possible, be in those sessions and not the ALAC ones. So these will largely be charged by, I am presuming, Tijani, Leon, maybe others; and that allocation will be done over the next little while. But I'll cover what the sessions are at this point.

The first one is just the general introduction and overview, and then we will have a discussion of new gTLDs, next update of where we are, next steps. There is a PDP going on; there are several Review Team efforts going on. I suspect that one will, in fact, be chaired not by Leon, as it says there, but by Olivier. But that will be determined. So that session, essentially, is going to try to get everyone up to speed on where we are with new gTLDs and as you'll see, we'll have a number of sessions later on that will also be referring to that.

Session Number Two is – the first part will be a quick review from Tijani and Julie on the activities associated with selecting the At-Large Board

Director. Rinalia's term is up next – I believe – early November 2017, and our process is a relatively extended one, to do the selection, and we are obliged to name the person six months before the meeting, which this year, I believe, means early April. So that process has already been kicked off, and there will be some discussion of where we are at that point.

We then have an unspecified hot policy topic for twenty-five minutes. Heidi, I thought we filled that in yesterday. Did we not?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

In the end, I thought we did not.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Alright, then. Between the two of us, we'll have to try to figure out what's there. I thought we in fact put something into that session. So, to be decided.

The last part of the ALAC At-Large Leadership Part Two is a review of the Fiscal Year 18 budget and discussion with Xavier Calvez and the Financial Team.

If we can go on to the At-Large Leadership Team Three, which is the afternoon session. You may have noticed on flying by, there was a lunch session with the At-Large Review Working Party Group and the external consultants, and there – the first part of this Session Number Three in the afternoon will be a quick review of what the current status is of that process.

The rest of the Session Number Three will be with Global Stakeholder Engagement. Global Stakeholder Engagement's responsibility has now increased to include the Public Responsibility Department and therefore, this will be an opportunity for pretty wide-ranging discussion on regional issues with the Regional VPs, and issues such as the public interest, the ICANN Academy, ICANN Learn, and all of the things that fell under the Public Responsibility Department before.

Heidi, is it still called the Public Responsibility Department reporting to Sally, or have they all moved into one department?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. No, they are still separate. They are the –

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. So [CROSSTALK] one leader, two departments.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sure.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you. ALAC –

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible] Alan? Do you have –

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: – an objective for Session Three?

ALAN GREENBERG: The objective for Session Three is for us to understand everything that's going on within those departments and advise the ICANN staff people what we want to see out of them. I will actually try to be at part of that session, but if not, I will end up having some comments forwarded, because a number of issues, both the public interest and the training endeavors – the ICANN Academy and other related things – I think, are issues that ICANN is not focusing on sufficiently. I certainly would like to send that message. I hope other people will support that, as well.

At-Large Leadership Session Four is something that we often do towards the end, but this time is being done at the beginning. We'll first of all do Work Group updates, and I believe that is all the Work Groups, with the exception of the Accessibility; and that's because, I believe, Cheryl will not be available at that session, so we'll squeeze that one in somewhere else. We're going to be talking a little bit about what we have called Work Group Revitalization. I think that's a dirty word right now; we may want to change the title. Specifically, we need to stop talking about and actually get a New gTLD Working Group active and populated with people. The same for Registration Services. Because those are two major PDP activities that are going on, and we really need an At-Large group looking at those issues in parallel with the PDPs. And then we'll be looking at other Working Groups. I am going to recommend strongly

to the extent that I can, that we make live the groups that are important and put the other ones out of their misery, so to speak, and we can always wake them up again. The rationale for that is, right now, if people go to our website and look at what Working Groups are around, they see this huge list, most of which are completely inactive. I think we need to present an image to people of what we're doing and actually allow them to participate. So there will be a good discussion there, I think.

A very brief review of IANA Stewardship Transition. This was a highly requested topic when we sent out a survey on what people wanted to see. It's not a hundred percent clear what content we're going to put there, but we will review the current status. There will be a presentation on the At-Large Leadership data base that is being worked on by Ariel and Natalie; a session on ATLAS II Implementation with Olivier, and then closing.

If we can go on to the next day, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi. As we're waiting for that schedule, what would you say is the objective of Session Four?

ALAN GREENBERG: Since they're not there anymore, I can't tell you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Working Group updates –

ALAN GREENBERG:

Certainly, Working Group updates is to make sure everyone within At-Large Leadership understands where we are and what's going on, and encourage them to participate more in some of those Working Groups. The Revitalization – the intention is to end up with a set of Working Groups that are really active, and that we are covering the issues that we really need to be covering. Right now, we have several major PDPs going on which will significantly impact end users – ones that At-Large has been very interested in before, but we have inactive Working Groups supporting them. Clearly, those are issues that will have to be addressed. The At-Large – the ALS databases to update people on what's going on and what will be available, and ATLAS is part of the ongoing process of implementing ATLAS and making sure that we are both on track and people know where we are.

And if we can go to Day Two, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

And Alan, if I may – this will be the final review of ATLAS II recommendations before it is presented to the Board later in the week. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you.

At-Large Leadership Session Five, which I don't see it says that there. Oh, sorry. The –

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible] Yeim? [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: We're on the wrong date.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is the 9th, Yeşim.

ALAN GREENBERG: We're looking for the date – so, the 4th.

Okay. Session Number Five is the first part of our discussion of the CCWG Accountability Work Stream 2 subjects. Those of you who were on the ICANN Evolution Work Group meeting yesterday got a preview of where we are. There will be more clarity at this point, because yesterday, we were still waiting for some documents, or they had just gone in; and this, again, will be an effort to make sure that everyone within At-Large Leadership is aware of what is going on, make sure that when we finally get to the point of ratifying things, when they go through the CCWG, then go back to the chartering organizations, we don't want any surprises that people wake up suddenly at that point and say, "Oh, dear. I don't agree with what was being said." So we need to make sure that everyone is in sync and we identify issues that are problematic with people within At-Large very early, and make sure that we feed that back into the Working Groups.

Number Six. If we can scroll up a bit.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Gisella or Silvia, could you please scroll? I seem to have lost my Internet connection momentarily.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: [inaudible]? Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead. Go ahead, Tijani.

Go ahead, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Do you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: We can now.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Since we had a session the day before about IANA Stewardship Transition, and we put time for it, I don't think that we will have anything to say in this session about the Work Stream 2 CCWG, since it is included in the IANA Transition, and ICANN Evolution, if you want to call it like this. I am afraid we are repeating ourselves. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Perhaps, but if you look at the attendance of that meeting, it was a small fraction of the At-Large Leadership. This, essentially, is a meeting of At-Large Leadership, ALAC, and RALO leaders, and we will be inviting, with due consideration for the timing, any other members of the ICANN Evolution – what was IANA Issues Working Group – to participate. But this is an At-Large Leadership-wide one, not restricted to those members who actually go to the Working Group meetings. So yes, there will be some repetition. It will be after the CCWG Accountability meeting, so I am expecting some things to have changed, or at least be firmer. But yes, for some of us, it will be a repetition; that is quite correct. Do you have a follow-up, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No; I would say that perhaps for – if it is a problem of attendance, we may hold this session not only for CCWG Work Stream 2, but for the whole IANA Stewardship and ICANN Accountability feedback for the whole ALAC Leadership people, so that we don't repeat ourselves and we don't hold a session about ICANN Evolution.

ALAN GREENBERG: There is no separate session on ICANN Evolution at this meeting. [CROSSTALK] These are the sessions that will include the ICANN Evolution Working Group, but they are At-Large-wide leadership sessions. There is no separate Working Group meeting.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: To the extent that there are issues to discuss on the Work Stream 1 issues, or the transition, they can certainly be discussed there. I haven't heard of any need of discussing those at this point, with the possible exception of the External Review Implementation that has been finalized. But I don't think that's of really great importance to most of our people.

At-Large Leadership Session Six is, first of all, a discussion with Rinalia Abdul Rahim, looking at issues that are important to the Board and, perhaps as important, she will be looking for input from you as to what should the Board be doing, or what should she be doing, that is not currently happening? So this is an opportunity to not only hear what's going on at the Board from an At-Large perspective, but to impact what is going on at the Board and what they look at. So come prepared to actually have a dialogue, not just listen.

The second session is the discussion of the CCT Review Team – the Consumer Confidence and Trust and Competition Review Team. This is a discussion with our members and perhaps one or two other people if we can encourage them to find out what is going on from their perspective. This is an introductory session to start the discussion. There will be a later one which will include other members – non-At-Large members of the Review Team. So this is an opportunity for Carlton and Kaili to brief us, and wave any red flags, if they have any, of how things are going, and give us some background that we can use

when we later on meet with the Chair and perhaps other people from the Review Team.

If we can scroll to the next one, Number Seven. This is a session on the continuing discussion of ALS expectations. It will be a very targeted discussion on exactly what do we do, what do we expect from ALSes, to make sure that we can justify our existence within ICANN; that we are, in fact, interacting and making use of our two hundred ALSes around the world. This is something which is surely going to be addressed within the Review Team, and I strongly believe that we have to make some decisions for ourselves before the Review Team tells us what we should be doing and makes recommendations, and let them factor in whatever we decide where we're going into their deliberations. I think it's really important that we not just sit back and wait for the external reviewers to tell us how to run our business. And I would like to come to closure on that, and I am hoping we will. You will see a document before the meeting on that one from me.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Session Eight, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Session – oh, sorry. Session Eight, first of all, will be a continuation of Session Five, I believe, on Work Stream 2 issues and CCWG, and will then be followed with the meeting with the CCT Review Team Chair and of course, with our members as well – and, I'm hoping, a selection of other people from the Review Team, because I think it should be more

than the Chair hearing what we have to say. And again, an opportunity to feed into that process before they issue their interim report.

Is someone else covering the ccNSO one, or is that me, too?

HEIDI ULLRICH: You could.

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought I was just doing the At-Large Leadership ones, but tell me if I'm wrong.

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible] able to confirm [inaudible] sorry. Sorry, [inaudible]

UNKNOWN 1: Alan, was your question whether you're we're going to cover the ALAC and ccNSO, as well, is that it?

ALAN GREENBERG: Am I covering it, or is someone else later in the agenda covering it?

UNKNOWN 1: No, if you could cover it, that would be great, please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright.

UNKNOWN 1: It's part of the ALAC Team. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: There will be a meeting, as we normally have, between the ALAC and the ccNSO. The two focus items will be outreach and cooperation. There has been an ongoing background discussion for several years now, of getting ccTLDs and ALSes in the region to cooperate and work together, and that will be at least part of the focus of this discussion. And there will also be a discussion of Work Stream 2 activities, and places where, indeed, we may have common views and want to support each other, and essentially make sure that we're working as a team instead of independently.

If we can go on to the next day, please, or whatever day is next relevant to my discussions. I think there's nothing on the 6th, but I'm not sure.

That is the 5th. I don't know – do we have any – I don't think we have any At-large Leadership – oh, we do.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Yes, this is the one where it's the hot policy topics at the moment, and then we have some ALT sessions.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. I must admit, I don't recall that from our review yesterday, so it looks like it's another session we need to fill in. Cheryl, go right ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, it's Cheryl. Cheryl here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. Just to note, and if staff could note it in the long term, I've now been asked, and I've expected, to chair the high-interest session from 10:30 to 11:00 – I'm very sorry, from 11:00 till 12:15. So I'll need to tender my apologies for all of that Working Session for the At-Large Leadership. But since we're talking about cooperation and outreach, it would be good if I cooperated.

ALAN GREENBERG: Perhaps, since you've already agreed. This is –

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, Heidi. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. This is the session where we originally had the Working Group update. And then a few of the people who were to present during that session indicated that they would be at an HIP. So again, this HIP may

be of interest to people who are interested in doing outreach activities in At-Large, and hearing from the others. So –

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, for – mm-hmm?

ALAN GREENBERG: We may end up cancelling that session and simply having people go to the high-interest topic. Heidi, you and I will need to discuss that after this meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: There's an At-Large Leadership meeting with the Registry Stakeholder Group Leadership. That is a closed meeting, at their request. I don't believe there is anything else that is on my review list on this day. Heidi, which is the next day that should be loaded?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let me take a look.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan? Cheryl here. Just note Julie's question in chat.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. "Where is the meeting with the [inaudible]?" That's a good question.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That is a very good question.

ALAN GREENBERG: Seems to have disappeared. We'll make sure it comes back. Julie, how much time did we say we would give to that? I think we said thirty minutes?

Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, thanks for highlighting that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Somehow that slipped through the cracks. I don't know where it went. We will schedule it somewhere.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, please go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The next one is on the 6th, when we have a meeting with the ALAC and the GAC.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's correct. We have a number of topics that have been scheduled. As usual, I suspect we'll not quite get through them. These are all issues that have been of some common interest to us. The current list we have is the new gTLDs, and we're looking at public interest commitment interests, essentially consumer protection issues with them; diversity is a critical issue to both us and to the GAC, and it's one of the Work Stream 2 issues that has been a focus. The CCT Review for the same reasons we're looking at it, they are also. There is a strong feeling among some GAC members that the public is not being well-served, that the focus has been too much on building the registry business, as opposed to providing benefits, and there is certainly a concern within the GAC similar to ours on consumer protection. Then, a brief discussion on implementation of the new bylaws. We are perhaps one of the few groups that have actually done our initial implementation to be able to exercise our powers within the Empowered Community. They are not quite at that stage yet and had expressed an interest in hearing what we are doing. We, of course, have taken a very minimalist position on this. Heidi, is that a new hand?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, that's an old hand. Just to say that is the last meeting of the day –

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright.

HEIDI ULLRICH: – for At-Large Leadership, so let's go to the 7th.

ALAN GREENBERG: I really wish Adobe Connect had a quick change that we could flip between different sessions without uploading them each time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I just want to note that, very different than what we've had in the past, is that the Wrap Up Sessions for the ALAC will be two days before the end. Over to you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know why we don't just start with the Wrap Up Sessions and then go on to other meetings afterwards. That was called sarcasm.

Wrap Up Session Part One: reports from liaisons, reports from RALO Chairs, and review of the ALAC Action Items. This is our pretty standard of our let's get a wrap-up of what has happened to the extent that we can at that meeting. Given how early it is, that might be interesting. But we are where we are. People like our GNSO liaison, where the main meeting for the GNSO will only be held afterwards will have to use their

crystal balls to predict what will be happening later in the day and reporting on it. I presume that they're all up for it.

I see Heidi and Yrjö.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, I'll put my hand down.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Yrjö, you're on.

If we can unmute him, if he can't unmute himself?

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: Yeah. This is Yrjö Länsipuro speaking. Thank you, Alan. Just a minor timing issue. I see that the reports from liaisons are from 8:30 to 8:30.

ALAN GREENBERG: Ah. How nice.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That will be brief.

ALAN GREENBERG: We always [inaudible] for briefness. It is apparently one-hour session, and we have scheduled – well, we have it scheduled at an hour right

now – but perhaps we can have staff look at that. Is that really an 8:00 session by mistake, or is it really 8:30?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry [inaudible] –

ALAN GREENBERG: Julie has confirmed she can do that. Thank you, Julie.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, are we talking about the Wrap Up Session One?

ALAN GREENBERG: We are talking about the Wrap Up Session One.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Is that the 8:30 – go ahead, [inaudible].

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan and Heidi, if I may, the [inaudible] just sent me the number of changes that we've had over the past days, if not hours. That session was due to start at 8:00, which would've given us a 90-minute session, but we were asked to start at 8:30, so we had to cut it down to 60 minutes, unfortunately. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: One more thing to add to our list, Heidi.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here. The point still is, you've got a zero time for the reports from liaisons, in terms of scheduling within the agenda.

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted, Cheryl. That's why we're going to have to figure out what to do. I see Yrjö's hand is still up; I suspect it's an old one. And we have Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you very much, Alan. Tijani speaking. Why [AUDIO ECHO]

ALAN GREENBERG: Both Tijanis can keep on speaking.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Moment, moment. I see that there is an echo. Okay. Now it must be [inaudible]. Okay, I see on the schedule that we are starting at 8:30, and the reports from the liaisons are from 8:30 to 8:30. That's surely a mistake.

ALAN GREENBERG: It is a mistake, as Yrjö has pointed out, and Gisella has told us that we were asked to move from an 8:00 start to an 8:30 start. We have a problem that will have to be resolved.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright. Next is ALAC and the Board Meeting. We have several questions from the Board, and the questions from the Board, which I think are quite critical, is “What do we the Board, an ICANN organization, have to do to make the transition work for you?” Now, I’m not sure what that means, and if anyone has any interesting interpretations, I’d like to hear. I understand what it would mean if we’re talking about the accountability changes that went into the bylaws. The transition itself, as far as I’m concerned, is a pretty transparent thing. So I’m not quite sure I know what that means, but we will try to get clarity before the actual meeting. The next one I find far more interesting is, “What do we, the Board, an ICANN organization and community need to do to advance trust and confidence in what we do?” So, what do we have to do to trust the Board? What does the Board have to do to for us to trust them? And what does ICANN have to do for the community to trust ICANN? That’s a rather intriguing set of questions.

And on terms of from the ALAC, we have just scrolled off the screen. And the first part is, we will reiterate the strong position we have taken that, despite the pressure for the Board to initiate a new round of gTLDs prior to establishing what we know about the last round and fixing the problems – and we still believe that, and that may be an interesting discussion. The second thing we will be reviewing is a brief presentation

of the ATLAS recommendations in the final report and next steps. Next item, please.

Actually, before we go back, there is a BMS-BC-BCEC Joint Meeting. That one will be open to all. So anyone in the rest of At-Large Leadership who is interested in it may certainly attend. Or at least, I am told that. At-Large Leadership Wrap Up Session Number 2. We will have a number of guests. We will have the CEO, the Chair of the Board, and David Olive meeting us in the first part of the meeting, and we only have half an hour allocated for that. It's going to be a challenge, I think, using that time properly. But I'm presuming there is no chance of enlarging it. We will have an update from David Conrad on the DNSKEY Rollover, a critical thing that is going to be happening over the next while. It will impact users, and it is really important that we know about it and can pass it on. There was a webinar about it chaired by Tijani a few days ago. We will have a brief session to take any decisions or final discussion. I'm not expecting a lot of decisions to come out of this meeting. And then, finally, the wrap-up. The wrap-up of the Wrap Up. And I think that is the end of the session that I am reporting on. We have now taken forty-five minutes to do what was listed as a ten-minute session. I turn it back to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Leon?

LEON SANCHEZ:

I'm sorry. I was on mute. I was on mute, sorry. Thank you very much for this, Alan. I'm not sure if anyone has some questions or comments

on our very busy agenda for Hyderabad, so I would of course like to open the floor for this, if there is any comment.

Okay, so there doesn't seem to be any, so I guess we could hear from the APRALO representatives, see what you have prepared for the At-Large community, now that we are going to visit the Asia-Pacific region. So I'm not sure who will be speaking on behalf of APRALO, but I will assume that maybe Satish or Cheryl. Satish, okay. Satish, so could you please tell us a little bit of what you've been preparing for this Hyderabad meeting.

SATISH BABU:

Thank you, Leon. Satish Babu, for the record. I guess [inaudible] agenda number three – this is about the RALO meetings – there is [inaudible] section on the [inaudible] number five. I am quickly going now to number three and [CROSSTALK].

Yeah, okay. So the agenda point is on the screen now. [inaudible] we have [inaudible] to kind of wrap up, and then we have some financial records, and then [inaudible] that if we [inaudible], which is the updated [inaudible], we have done [inaudible] on the community [inaudible] and we're going to [inaudible] preliminary findings, both of the survey [inaudible], and then we're talking about our next [inaudible] coming up in ICANN 60 at Abu Dhabi. So this is our agenda for the meeting that we are planning. This is a joint meeting – a combined meeting – of [inaudible]. That's it from me on this agenda item. Thank you.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Satish. So next on the list, we have AFRALO, so if someone from AFRALO could please help us and give a brief description of what you have planned for the Hyderabad meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, are you [AUDIO BREAK]

LEON SANCHEZ: Tijani, your [inaudible] able to help us.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: [AUDIO ECHO] Yes, I am here, and I can update you if you want, but I see that Aziz is on the Adobe Connect; I don't know why he doesn't do it. But our session will be the normal and usual AFRALO ICANN meeting, which gathers all the Internet communities or the ICANN communities from Africa to discuss one hot topic in ICANN. And this time, also, we will speak about the transition and accountability, but this time will be better, because it is not – we are not under pressure. So it will be more or less a discussion of what happened, how we appreciate it, and what our recommendations are for the remaining things which are done now, such as the Work Stream 2 sub-groups. So this is our session. We will be inviting a lot of people to speak, and at the end, we will adopt a statement, as usual. Thank you very much.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Tijani. And I think that Silvia Vivanco could give us a brief overview of what LACRALO has for Hyderabad. So Silvia, could you please help us by providing a very brief overview?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, yes. Thank you very much. First, I want to convey Maritza Agüero's apologies; she's had an emergency and she couldn't take the call today. She has sent me a [inaudible] and wanted you to know. LACRALO will do a meeting in which they will cover several items, one of them a report of new ALSes. There will be a second item, the mediation process, and the mediator will be joining remotely to provide an update on the progress and the status. The third item will be discussion in group collaboration with ALAC members – with LACRALO ALAC members. There will be another ICANN mitigation plan by GSE, and LACRALO activities are part of this mitigation plan. Then there will be a report on the call attendance metrics, an [inaudible] letter proposal, and a review of the capacity-building [inaudible] in collaboration with GSE, and any other items. Thank you. Over to you, Leon.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much for this brief update, Silvia. I see that Glenn McKnight has sent some activities on the chat. So, for the sake of time – we have only ten minutes left – I will be skipping that RALO, but I do acknowledge that Glenn has set up on the record, on the chat, the activities for that RALO.

The next agenda item, we have “set up the Working Group meetings.” For this, I would like to kindly ask the Chairs of each of the Working

Groups to provide us with a quick and very brief [inaudible] of your plans for the Hyderabad meeting. So I would like to begin with the At-Large Working Party, and for that, I would like to turn to Joly.

Okay, so I don't see Joly online. So –

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible] Leon, Cheryl here.

LEON SANCHEZ: Yes, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Very briefly, we will be having some feedback from items and some of the interim reporting, including some quite interesting statistics, which will have developed even further since the Working Party had its earlier update from ICANN. We have, I think, an excellent so far, I think it was in excess, when I last looked or heard, of two hundred respondents to the survey. So that is wonderful, but we have extended the survey time to run throughout the Hyderabad meeting, so one of the things that we will be trying to engender is a little more energy to pull even more survey respondents in during that meeting. Very quickly, I think you will find the breakdown of the data and statistics that our [inaudible] will be presenting [inaudible] in this particular framework quite interesting. That'll do from me.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Cheryl. Next is the Cross-Committee on Accessibility. For that, I have Cheryl again. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much, Leon. Cheryl, for the record. We have the unusual circumstance of starting at 8:30 on Sunday morning. It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, will have managed to get off shuttles and into the room, but we will battle on. As a Cross-Community Committee on Accessibility, we will be having some interesting and I think very rewarding updates from staff on some dashboard work that's going on and some planning for the near and midterm future, for the improved and greater accessibility of all sorts of things, not the least of which is [inaudible] our own website, but also to have a dashboard system where the continuous improvement program that ICANN staff is undertaking quite proactively.

We also will have, we hope, a number of local people who will have an interest in this particular matter of greater accessibility, and we would like to take a little bit of time to have a general introduction and a round-robin to share some of the experiences and learning that we can get from those groups, because they're very active in that region. But again, I'm concerned about our time slot and whether or not I'll be able to be in the room. In addition to that, one of the things that I'm particularly keen to see if we can get through this next twelve-month planning period, is to look at a focus on increased [inaudible], not just the traditional accessibility. I think that'll do for now. Hopefully, I've tempted you all to join us.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Cheryl. Our next Working Group is the BCEC and BMS-BC Joint Meeting. For that, I would like to ask either Tijani or Julie to provide us with a very brief [inaudible] on this.

JULIE HAMMER: Thanks, Leon. Julie here. It's really an update of our current activities, some briefing the other committee on what we've achieved to date, current status of planning for future work, and giving the other committee an opportunity for questions about any of those topics. But equally, it's important to do some open meeting, and I see it also an opportunity for the community to engage with the committees and ask any questions, and get up to date with what's happening with regard to the Board candidate selection. More, I guess, for audiences outside the committees themselves, than for addressing the work of the individual committees. Thank you.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Julie. Tijani, would you like to add anything to what Julie has said?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Julie has said everything, and it is exactly what she said. Thank you very much.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you, Tijani. Our next Working Group is the At-Large Technology Task Force. For that, I would like to hand over the floor to Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Leon. This is Dev Anand. The Technology Task Force evaluates and reveals information on communication technologies that can help the At-Large community better able to accomplish their role in ICANN activities. Our session will be on Tuesday, and it will be to view our activities and to plan future activities of the Technology Task Force. The view of our activities includes discussions and collaborations with ICANN staff on technology-related issues that have been noted by the Technology Task Force At-Large community. Some of these issues have included the LACRALO mailing list translation issues, Adobe Connect issues relating to accessibility via mobiles in terms of calling and custom [inaudible], and making Adobe Connect recordings more accessible to mobiles and for easier sharing. We will also be getting updates from the ICANN staff on these issues. We've also been reviewing our work done for the ATLAS II recommendations. We've used several technology tools such as [inaudible]; and if you want to know what these wonderful, cool tools are, you should attend our session on Tuesday. Just to mention that the Technology Task Force, in particular, Glenn and Judith, the Technology Task Force Co-Chairs, have put together a one-page newsletter, which has offered several technology tips for travelers to Hyderabad, including mobile [inaudible] and so forth. A link will be posted in the chat so that they can download this newsletter.

So the Technology Task Force is open to anyone interested in ICT, and how they can solve the needs of ICANN At-Large and the ICANN community. So if you're interested in this stuff, please join.

LEON SANCHEZ:

Thank you very much, Dev. Next, we have the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement with Nextgen. For that, I will turn now again to Dev. So Dev, can you please?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thank you, Leon. This is Dev. At ICANN 57, a key session will be a meeting with the Nextgen students, also on Tuesday. This session will familiarize Nextgen students with the At-Large community: who we are, the activities that we do, and how the Nextgen students can engage in At-Large. So this session, I'm sure, will be very good for any newcomer, or for anyone interested in understanding what the ALAC is, and what the At-Large community is, and what it is that we do. So the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee, we develop strategies to reach out to new potential members of the At-Large community, and to engage new and existing members of the At-Large community, and to work with the At-Large community to ensure that these strategies are implemented successfully. Anyone interested in the [inaudible] to join the community, and getting existing community members engaged, please join us. We are working on several projects. In addition to the Nextgen presentation, we are also working to help develop onboarding materials for newcomers and a stakeholder analysis tool to discover ICANN stakeholders in your country. That's it. Thank you.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Dev. Our next agenda item is the APRALO activities, and I believe that Satish has already briefed us with what the APRALO region plans to do in Hyderabad with the [inaudible] sessions, the Joint APRALO [inaudible] event, and the university outreach. But I'm not sure if you want to add anything to what you've already said, Satish. If you want to, please go ahead and take the floor.

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Leon. Satish, for the record. You already mentioned the showcase, which is where [inaudible]. We also have APRALO [inaudible] for them, because [inaudible] sessions [inaudible] lunch breaks. Basically, for our ALSes, but also for some others. We have two outreach programs – one, a team of people are going to [inaudible] nearby, and the other [inaudible]. And I'm told we are having [inaudible] the outreach [inaudible]. Two of the [inaudible] are related, but one is from the 31st of October through the 2nd of November; the south India [inaudible], and we also have on the 3rd of November a coordination meeting of [inaudible] Internet governance, because [inaudible] Internet governance [inaudible]. We thought we should coordinate so that we can again work together and benefit from that. Thank you.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Satish. Our next agenda item is the high-interest topics. For that, I would like to – oh, I'm just becoming aware that I skipped one of the Working Groups. I apologize for that. That Working

Group is the At-Large Public Interest Working Group. I would like to apologize to Wolf. And Wolf, if you could kindly give us a very brief summary of what you are planning to do in Hyderabad.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Thanks, Leon. This is Wolf Ludwig, for the record. I still face a problem with various delays regarding my Indian visa, and I have an appointment at the embassy on Thursday in Bern, and I hope that everything can be settled in time to get my flight to Hyderabad in time. For the moment, I still have two scenarios. If I won't be able, for the given reason, to come to Hyderabad, I will bilaterally prepare everything with Heidi and Olivier. Olivier will be chairing the high-interest session, and he could, in the worst case, take over my part. But if I still can make it [inaudible] the session together with At-Large staff, so we have an agenda already, and I think, speakers selected for this session – highly promising, and I think it will be a good one.

LEON SANCHEZ:

Thank you very much for this, Wolf. I again apologize for the hiccup on skipping Wolf, previously. Going back to our agenda, the next agenda item is the high-interest topics. For that, I would like to turn to Alan. So, Alan, could you please –

ALAN GREENBERG:

Sure. If we can have the high-interest topics in the session in the details? Or if someone else would like to review them, we're running a

bit late in time. Gisella or Heidi, if you can read off the names to me, I will try to flesh them out.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Alan, Gisella here. I'm happy to read out the names for the high-interest topics during the week. The first high-interest topics will be the 5th November, "Mitigation of abuse in gTLDs" – I'm sorry, my apologies. "How to do outreach within each SO/AC."

ALAN GREENBERG:

Alright. That is the session that we currently have something scheduled against. We may cancel that at this point. That is, essentially, a session where AC/SOs can describe how they do outreach, on the theory that what is applicable in one AC/SO may be useful in another. I personally have some question about the utility, given that each AC/SO is so very different, and I'm not quite sure how what we do for outreach is applicable to intellectual property attorneys or registrars, so – or ccTLDs for that moment, where their audience is quite different – but that is what the session is about, and it remains to be seen whether it's useful or not. We have several of our people participating both days, and Cheryl. Next session?

GISELLA GRUBER:

"Mitigation of abuse in gTLDs."

ALAN GREENBERG: That one, I think, is pretty clear to At-Large people, the new gTLDs have been used from our perception anyway, extensively for phishing, for spam; there is a huge number of parked domains, or domains that are not even really live, but they have been registered. And the question – this is a report discussing that. Not a report. A meeting discussing that and presumably looking at what the current situation is, and possibly remedies. Next.

GISELLA GRUBER: Third session, Saturday, the 5th of November: “Update on WHOIS-related initiatives.”

ALAN GREENBERG: I think that, again, there are many things going on. There’s an RDS Group looking at replacements for WHOIS, there are a number of activities in implementation right now related to WHOIS – the Thick WHOIS is one of them – there are a bunch of overlapping activities, and we are about to see a WHOIS Review Team kick off. That will be announced – well, it’s currently being discussed with AC/SO leaders, and I have been working with ICANN staff on that one, on trying to minimize the impact and workload associated with that review. We should hear something mentioned soon on that. But again, this is a summary of all the activities and trying to make some sense of them. Next?

GISELLA GRUBER: Next Sunday, the 6th of November: “Exploring the public interest within ICANN’s remit and [inaudible] sessions.”

ALAN GREENBERG: Again, I don't think that requires much discussion. We have talked about the public interest. We have our own Working Group that Wolf is leading, and this is an area of great interest to us. We, of course, think of ourselves as being responsible for certain aspects of the public interest within ICANN. Next.

GISELLA GRUBER: That same day: "DNS and Content Regulation," which is currently conflicting with the "At-Large Regional Leadership Meeting."

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. That one is, again, an interesting discussion. It was one of the topics raised by various people. Of course, ICANN, in theory, has no involvement in content regulation. There are people, however, that the domain names themselves are content, and therefore clearly we do have responsibility for some areas of that. It's not clear to me exactly where that discussion is going, but it is one of the ones that was highly rated by the various leaders who participated in the survey. Next.

GISELLA GRUBER: Monday the 7th: "Transparency on legal advice given to ICANN to preserve its principle on openness." That is conflicting with "At-Large Regional Leadership Wrap Up Session, Part 2."

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay, thank you. That also is an interesting session, in that it's not clear where it is leading, and we decided that it would be – we would hold a meeting against it. The substantive issue is that, currently, ICANN Legal Counsel gives advice to the Board that is often not public. Now, this might be in relation to lawsuits; it might be in relation to other risk areas, and we currently have a policy that, to the extent that it is possible, to not redact things, and to make these [inaudible] documents available, they will be. And that was explicitly an ATRT 2 recommendation – that not only we do that with less redaction than we have before, but that they be reviewed periodically, and once things are no longer confidential, they can be released. I am, again, not quite sure of the direction of this discussion. There are certainly people who believe there should be nothing secret that the Board hears. It sounds like it's going to be a difficult push. Part of it is historical, in that traditionally, all legal input from the Legal Counsel to the Board has been quite confidential, and they worked under a principle that everything is confidential unless we have to release it, as opposed to the other way around. So I think this is a follow-on to that discussion. Again, I'm not quite sure where this is going; it is an issue that is being addressed in parallel by one of the Work Stream 2 Groups, within the CCWG Accountability. Next?

GISELLA GRUBER:

“On the [inaudible] in ICANN non-conflicting.”

ALAN GREENBERG: That again is something familiar to At-Large. We have talked a lot about the fact that there are no registrars in parts of the world, and in fact in some parts of the world, the number is decreasing because as the requirements on registrars increase, because of things like WHOIS verification, that the number of registrars is, in fact, decreasing, and the people are getting out of the business as opposed to going into it. We know that there are very few registries located in developing parts of the world, and this, I think, is an investigation and discussion of both the situation and potentially what could be done about it.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Alan. Eighth and last session running that same day from 6:30 to 8:00, which will be a late session, is the Internet Governance session.

ALAN GREENBERG: I will allow Wolf to talk about that one – Wolf or Olivier to talk about that one – who are more closely connected to it, I think, than I am. If anyone has anything to say.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, I am here. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. I was just thinking about the Cross-Committee Working Group on Internet Governance session, which will be focusing on – what is it – on fragmentation. There you go. My mind just became fragmented a moment ago. Fragmentation of the Internet. The major part of the discussion will be on how this affects ICANN, and how it has the potential to affect the

rest of the Internet when it comes down to domain names, the root, and all sorts of other policy around it. So we've got a good lineup of people to do this. Secondly, we'll just have an update on some of the work that the Cross-Committee Working Group is doing. That's all. Thank you.

[inaudible] might be muted.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we're back to Leon now.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Leon has had to leave the call. Alan, if you'd like to take over, we're just going to be handing over to Maureen for the tribal ambassadors. We've finished the high-interest topics.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then I will hand over to Maureen for tribal ambassadors.

GISELLA GRUBER: Maureen, are you able to speak? I see Maureen is typing. She just got a cutoff. Maureen, as we're dialing back to you, perhaps just because we're running so late, I will just quickly skip to the remote participation if you don't mind, Alan. I'll just take a couple of seconds and as soon as Maureen is back on, I will hand over. The remote participation will not take long. Agenda Item Eight. With regards to ICANN public face-to-face meetings, for those not able to attend in person, you can attend via

remote participation. The timing in Hyderabad is UTC +5 and a half, which makes it a little bit tricky for the conversions. Hopefully, the presentation will come up. I've just put a few useful links on the slide on the Adobe Connect. If it's not on the Adobe Connect, we have the ICANN 57 main webpage, which I just put in the chat previously. The ICANN 57 main schedule, then what we call the At-Large One-Stop Shop Wiki, where you can find the meeting daily At-Large [AUDIO ECHO].

Oh, we have an echo. I'm just trying to locate the echo. We have the [AUDIO ECHO]. Sorry, I'll just continue the presentation. We have the daily meetings on those pages. Please note that the most up-to-date version is on the Wiki pages, not on the main ICANN schedule, as for a certain time, we're not able to update the main ICANN schedule anymore. The eight Adobe Connect rooms are posted on the main Wiki pages, and well as the main ICANN schedule. All open meetings will be linked to the main ICANN 57 schedule, which will allow you to then access the remote participation details, as well as the session details, lead staff, and audio streaming. This is what the page looks like when you access the main ICANN schedule. We have the Adobe Connect Room, the streaming in whatever language is offered in that room, so from all At-Large sessions, we usually have English, French, and Spanish. So if you're not there in person, please do join via the streaming.

Now, the meeting room audio is in English. On the audio bridge as well as the Adobe Connect, the streaming to have the other languages, you have to access it via the streaming [inaudible] dial-out, noting that you will be connected to the audio bridge on the English channel. The Adobe Connect chat is like we usually have for all our meetings. You can ask questions directly in the Adobe Connect chat, and the remote

participation manager in the room will read the questions for the record. I don't know if you have any questions. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you in Hyderabad, and I will hand it over to Maureen to give us a quick update on tribal ambassadors. I don't see any hands raised for questions. Thank you.

Sorry, I've been told that Maureen is not connected.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Gisella, I think that, given the time, she has put some information into the chat. Just to let everyone know that there are two of them coming from the United States, and they will be primarily with the fellows. They will be invited to At-Large sessions, time permitting. Maureen is their main mentor, and they will be featured into the ICANN 57 newsletter, as well. And this is a pilot program. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Alan, if we may hand it over to you for the conclusion of this session. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I will take it back, and I have no conclusions that have not already been said, so I thank everyone for attendance, and see you in Hyderabad.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much, everyone. I hope that this call has been useful to plan your schedule. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you everyone, for attending.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: This meeting is now adjourned. [AUDIO ECHO] disconnected.
[inaudible]

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]