

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, to everyone. Welcome to the APRALO ICANN 57 activities call taking place on Friday, 23 September 2016, at 04:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Satish Babu, Holly Raiche, Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, and Kaili Kan. We have received an apology from Ali AlMeshal. From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, Kelvin Wong, and myself, Yesim Nazlar. Finally, I would like to remind everyone to state their names before speaking for the transcript purposes.

Over to you Satish. Thank you very much.

SATISH BABU: Thank you very much, Yesim. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Let's get this call started now. This call is to review the progress of the ICANN 57 APRALO activities, primarily the Showcase [inaudible].

We've had [inaudible] meetings before, and currently we are looking at fundraising. The situation is kind of difficult at this point because we are not able to locate a superficial number of funding sources. But I would like Maureen and Holly to start off, and then I will also add on [other details from my side] after they finish.

So, Maureen, you can start on this.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Satish. Holly and I have assigned organizations that we would approach for sponsorship. I originally sent [messages] out to DotAsia and Internet NZ. I have, again, sent out another message today because I haven't had any feedback from them. I'm still plugging with those two. For DotAsia, although my original letter went to Edmon, I've actually asked Pavan if he can follow that up for me.

APTLD, Siranush sent a message to Leonid, and he has actually gotten back and said that they had a board meeting in Bangkok and they didn't feel that they could contribute at this particular point in time. But I did mention that we had had a donation in kind from Don Hollander when we actually had the meeting and the Showcase in Singapore and that for our sponsors any contributions would be gratefully received.

I will continue to persist with DotAsia and Internet New Zealand and see because I've got Edmon and Pavan and Jordan and Alan that I'm working through.

Holly has better news. Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE:

Oh, much better news. Now this is Australian dollars, so it's not quite U.S. dollars. AUDA will contribute \$2,000 and AusRegistry will contribute \$2,000. What I need today is basically a clear idea of what's going to happen because both organizations said clearly the CEO of both organizations would like a couple of minutes to speak. I think that's fair enough, but I'd like to be able to tell them what's going to happen with a little bit of background so that they know what to say. So as a price of \$4,000 Australian is probably four minutes at the microphone. (I know

---

Adrian keeps on and on but never mind.) They'd also like to be able to just put a bit of information about their organization around as sponsors.

I haven't gotten onto APNIC, and will, and that may be more money I hope. I'll try for that, but you can all now go out and say at least Australia has come through with a lot of money, and the rest of you should do it.

I want at the end of today to have a much clearer idea of what we're actually going to do so that I can put that information to the sponsors. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks very much, Holly, for that piece of good news. We're talking about \$4,000 Australian dollars, which I'm not sure exactly how much would that be in USD. Does anyone have an idea?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

It's about \$0.75 to a U.S. dollar. So divide by four, multiply by three. That's your answer.

SATISH BABU:

Right. So I think this is great news. Thanks for all the efforts, Holly and Maureen and Cheryl, for this.

There is also the possibility of some funds – it may not be much – but some funds from [inaudible] Internet governance. We may end up with

---

a surplus right now, but I will know the clear picture in about 10-15 days' time [inaudible] the funds are coming. If we have a surplus, then we have no issues.

But there is a [inaudible] problem there because we have been supported there by the [government] of India, ISOC, ICANN, and [inaudible]. I'm not sure if there's any problem in taking money from ICANN and then giving it back to APRALO, if there is any issue, there. But otherwise, we may be able to contribute maybe something like \$1,000. But I can [inaudible] in about 10 days' or 15 days' time.

Are there any other comments? I think Maureen has raised her hand. Maureen, please go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thanks, Satish. I guess it's like taking a step back here. I just wanted to look at the budget, the \$9,000-10,000 budget that we're actually looking at for 150 people. Is that realistic? \$10,000? It's just that I know that we're aiming for \$10,000, but we've also got some of the cultural events or something like that, that you raised yesterday's meeting, Satish, which is actually the sort of thing that we'd like to include into our Showcase but there's going to be a cost. So what additional costs are we looking at? And \$10,000 for drinks and food for 150 people, it just seemed a bit excessive for me. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Alright, thanks, Maureen. Gisella has her hand up. Please go ahead, Gisella.

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Satish, thank you. Just as an update or actually a follow up, I'm trying to get from the meetings team the exact menu that they're offering because it is fairly pricey. Now, where meetings are held, we've never had a place where the catering has actually been not expensive, if I may put it that way. So we're at about just under \$10,000 and, yes, it's only for drinks, canapes, and a 20% tax on all of that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Whew!

GISELLA GRUBER: So I'm just asking meetings team again, and I think that now we are six weeks prior to the meeting. I'm hoping to at least get a menu so that we can then fine-tune it to perhaps bring the cost a little bit down to make sure that we're not getting caviar canapes. Hopefully, by the next call, we'll have the actual menu but again, yes, just under \$10,000 just for food is quite expensive when we haven't even taken into consideration any entertainment at this stage and we are running low on funds. So as I said, just give me a couple of days, and I'll forward it to everyone on the list. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Gisella. I think Maureen has brought up an important point. Right now, we have about \$5,458 U.S. dollars in the kitty and we have a budget of about \$10,000+. We probably will have to trim it down [inaudible] situation. I'm not sure what are the options we have vis-à-vis

---

the food. Maybe we have to [inaudible] from the venue hotel itself. That place is extremely pricey, as Gisella has pointed out.

I'm not sure. I'm generally not in favor of catering from a third party because of the risks involved in that. But in the hotel that we are going to be in, if we can negotiate it down. I'm not sure there's any [inaudible] negotiations, but the kind of money that we have budgeted seems to be quite extraordinary and maybe we have to trim it down. We will wait for Gisella to come back with a realistic budget on this.

Are there any comments? Gisella, is that an old hand of yours? Right. Okay, so let's then go on to the agenda item, which is the Showcase format. Now what we certainly have are we have a few [short] features that I can share [with you], maybe one or two others, plus the sponsors who [really rightfully] should have their timeslot as well. So maybe we're talking about five short [pieces].

From APRALO side, our main part of the Showcase is the presentation on the [inaudible]. We have now 45 [ALSes present], and on the last call we mentioned the [one slide per] ALS. We have to discuss how we're going to create the slide deck. Do we [inaudible] one slide per ALS, or do we [inaudible] we have? I think that's going to be the [inaudible] outreach and [inaudible] a significant part of the Showcase.

Are there any suggestions on how we can create this set of slides, one per ALS?

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Satish, I put the slides presentations together for the Beijing and I think it was the one in London or something. It's no big deal to put that together, as long as I can actually select contact. It has the e-mail addresses of all the ALSes who are actually going to be there and any other people. Now I think that Gisella is actually starting to accumulate a list of names and e-mail addresses. If I can get those and I can make contact with them and get details and put those on the slide, there's no big deal.

SATISH BABU: Right. [inaudible] okay that you take the initiative and put it together with support from all of us. Okay.

Now we have the Singapore agenda [put up] from the link that Silvia has just posted. There we have Welcome: Background Music; Introductions by APRALO chair; Opening Words from Rinalia; then Steve Crocker [inaudible]; ALAC chair Alan Greenberg. I don't see ICANN CEO, but maybe we could also have ICANN CEO here. Plus, we have two sponsors, so that would make it now (one, two, three, four, five, six) seven pieces of maybe two minutes each. Does that sound okay? Okay.

Then after that will come our Closing. Singapore I don't think there was – okay, Fadi was in the Closing Comments. In Singapore, we did not have a slideshow on our ALSes because we had the MOU signing ceremony with Edmon. Now in Hyderabad, we will have a slideshow on our ALSes, and [it seems] we'll have 45 slides at about 10 seconds, 6 slides a minute. That will be about maybe 8 minutes or 9 minutes.

---

Nobody is going to speak during the slideshow presentation. It's just going to be background music and running the slideshow.

When we [inaudible] comment that we don't want too many speakers and the only place we have to have [inaudible] Rinalia. I'm not sure we need Alan. [inaudible] fine with me. Alan doesn't need to be there, but sponsors we'll have to give them the time. Right.

We have to finish at 19:45. We'll be starting at 18:00. Can someone type in the chat. No, 18:30? Oh, okay. That may be one hour and 15 minutes max for the whole thing. [inaudible] is asking, "What will [inaudible] contribute?" [Adam], do you have any thoughts?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I haven't seen that before.

SATISH BABU: Alright, Maureen, your hand is up. First Heidi and then Maureen. Heidi, please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, everyone. Thank you. I just wanted to point out as I noted in the chat that we did agree [inaudible] last time that this would be a joint APRALO and Civil Society event. So please keep in mind that you might need to offer just a brief slot to NPOC and NCUC, or you could...

[HOLLY RAICHE]: What? No.



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, it was sort of a joint Civil Society event, so you could do something collectively, something within the end users or [inaudible] what's in the public interest. Holly, this happened last time. It was agreed during the last call that it was a joint APRALO Showcase/Civil Society event. The last several Showcases have had that, just so you know. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Right. Thank you. I do have a couple of questions on that. If NCUC and NPOC are joining us, (a) what would that mean in terms of the number of speakers and (b) does it mean they are also to financially contribute?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry to interrupt Maureen, but just keep in mind that, yes, Adam and Jean-Jacques with their Civil Society engagement did contribute \$1,200 to this. So yes, Cheryl, that has been agreed to and that's why we have \$2,400 from ICANN rather than \$1,200. In the past, it has been more of a subtle joint event where NPOC and NCUC are invited and it's more of a networking event. You could do something like that, if that's acceptable to everyone, rather than have them be up there on the speakers list. That's something that we can discuss. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Great, Heidi. We will go to Maureen and then have a depression on this. Maureen, please go ahead.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Satish. Because we are doing it as a partnership this particular Showcase, it's just a little bit different. It's not a General Assembly Showcase and that sort of stuff, so I can appreciate having lots of other people contributing to it and I think that's great. But one of the things – I mean, we can't have the speeches. It's the thing that we've been talking about every other Showcase to try and cut down on the number of speakers.

For example, I think it's really important that we have Satish and Adam doing a brief presentation, perhaps a representative from the ALSes, and a representative from the sponsor organizations – I mean, Satish will thank all the sponsors and stuff, but a representative from the sponsors.

But I think the slideshow can incorporate sponsors and everyone who is within the APRALO organization. We could actually have everyone acknowledged as part of the slideshow so that they're actually not forgotten and it actually does highlight everyone who is contributing to or participating in the event from APRALO.

So the slideshow could actually be more inclusive without intruding too much on having people have to sit through an event which should be, sure showcasing APRALO, but also allowing people to network – network with people from APRALO, network with the new people who are going to be there. I think it's only an hour and a bit, so we need to be able to use the opportunity as much as possible for talking with each other. That's [me]. Thank you.

---

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Maureen. Over to Holly now.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah, it sounds like there are going to be way too many speakers. This is supposed to be a Showcase event. I can remember – I've forgotten which meeting it was – but there were lots of speeches and we just lost people. People just grabbed a drink and drifted out. Unless we actually have an event, like some kind of cultural event that people can watch and not too many speeches, people are just going to grab a drink and leave.

We do have to have a minute or two for sponsors. We just do if they're going to contribute money. But we've got to keep the numbers down. Göran is good at it. Steve Crocker always comes on and says, "Well, basically I have nothing to say" or "I wish you well," and he takes two minutes. [inaudible] But it's going to turn into speeches that people are not going to hang around for. If it's a networking event, we want people to hang around, particularly if we're paying top dollar for their drinks and canapes.

I think it's all the more important if we just have some kind of cultural event. First of all, I hope Gisella can get the price down because I think we've paid way over top dollar for the food and the drink, but that's just me. That's a very high bill. But if we want people to hang around [via] networking, then we really do want to have some kind of cultural event and we want to have not too many speeches. I'm just not sure how we do this.

---

The slideshow that I did when I was chair of APRALO literally just had one slide after another of all our ALSes, really just pointing to the celebrating diversity and it fits into that. We're going to have to rethink if we're going to try a presentation if it's actually [inaudible] event. That doesn't quite work or it doesn't work the way we've done it, so we're going to have to rethink how we do it. We've got some hard thinking to do on what works. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Holly. Go to Cheryl now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I thought Heidi's hand was up before me.

SATISH BABU: Oh, I thought that was an old hand.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Cheryl. Old hand, yeah. That was an old hand.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh, I see.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry about that. Thank you, Cheryl.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alright. That's alright. Okay, you've got me now. Great. I am all for the networking, particularly since this is not a Showcase in terms of the General Assembly being run. This is the event that we're supposed to be having in an entirely different region, and I would prefer very much to be more focused on the networking and the interactions.

I think if we do as Maureen was suggesting, literally give people two minutes and make them very few people – I don't know who is shuffling papers, but it's deafening me through my earphones and I'd appreciate them to mute if at all possible – the option, of course, is to have Satish and aspects of your leadership teams of both NPOC and Civil Society aspects as well as our leadership team acting in a meet-and-greet welcoming capacity.

That means we don't have to do more than shake hands at the door and say, "Welcome in," sort of thing, and therefore we don't really need to hear speeches as such from our leadership or indeed any other leadership, with the exception of the most senior executives in ICANN and anyone who gives us money. That should cull it down nicely.

I have a question and a comment. My question is, regarding the "cultural activity" I've been bored witless by some of the cultural activities that have been imposed upon us at some of our past events. I've certainly been reaching for, if not a drink, a blunt butter knife to slit my wrists at some of these things because they go on and on and on and on. So it would be really nice if we didn't do that.

Now, I'm not saying don't do something cultural, but for heaven's sake it could be background music or it could be something far more cost

---

effective than insisting people look at something for 10 or 15 minutes. If you're paying people dollars, then they do perform. If they perform, they usually perform more than just a couple of minutes. So it means by definition we've got them standing there and, in my case, bored witless in some situations by not what it is to start with but the fact that it goes way too long.

Anyway, those are obviously my biases. So do consider how we do "culture" to best benefit it. As I say, it could be appropriate music in the background. It could be all sorts of things.

As far as our slideshow and promoting us as our diversity, we could of course ask NPOC and NCUC to also provide some visuals of their [inaudible] activities, put it into a slideshow that also gives extra value for money by mentioning the sponsors that we have, and literally run that in the background. Just have it up on a screen. Not everybody is going to be paying attention, but if it just keeps rolling, then that's okay I think. The ALSes can be put up there and people can say, "Oh, that's us. Here we are all lined up in Singapore. Oh, look at us. There we are," whatever. You know what I mean? Just [lose] it on the screen and focus on interaction.

By focusing on interaction, we need to make sure that people circulate, that you don't just talk. Maureen and I do not end up clustered in the corner talking to each other. Of course, it's a highly unlikely possibility because we rarely try and talk to each other in public at all. But we need to be working the room, and we need the NPOC leaders to do the same.

Anyway, those are my highly biased views on things. Thank you.

---

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Cheryl. I think that's very useful. Now we have a kind of consensus emerging. I'll just list down the points.

First of all, about [culture], not more than 15 minutes and as unobtrusive as possible, something like a background which [inaudible] something like that which is not too much in your face and also quite short.

Regarding the slideshow, continuous slides one after the other, maybe automated. [inaudible] whether we should have slides from APRALO ALSes, NCUC, and NPOC on the screen, which I think would be fair. We have to arrange them back to back and run them through. We're talking about maybe 50 or 55 slides. We have to see how long that will take.

Regarding speakers, very short speeches. Presently the position that I see is that [inaudible], APRALO chair, and perhaps ICANN CEO or [inaudible]. We have to have a consensus on that, who should be the speakers.

Then promotional items, APRALO, NCUC, and NPOC are the three to bring around their promotional items and distribute them.

How does this sound? We need some input on the speakers who should be allowed to have one or two minutes, not more than two minutes in any case. Does this sound okay? Any comments?

Okay, Cheryl says that sounds fine. I think we can go ahead with this. I hope staff have taken down this. The music can maybe go on a little bit

---

longer. Since it's in the background, it doesn't interfere with the program's events.

Alright, with that, if there are no more comments on this, we will have to refine it maybe in the next two weeks' calls, but let's go ahead. Cheryl has raised her hand again. Cheryl, you have the floor now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. I'm actually typing it as well. With the recording, with music if it's recorded, that's fine. It can just go on in the background. If you get some performers who are live, then we just need to make it clear that is background activity, not entertainment per se. That sets the expectations that what we are doing is just setting a cultural mood in the room, as opposed to stopping and looking and applauding.

SATISH BABU: That sounds fine. If we have a small live group, we will ask them to stop whenever there is somebody speaking but otherwise continue with their performance. Holly, please?

HOLLY RAICHE: I think first if people are speaking, then we wouldn't have any music. I just think it's a bit rude to have live – I like the idea of live performance because that is Indian cultural and that's great. So in fact, you would have maybe one or two players of Indian music, since this is India, not while the speakers are there. But we're not going to have a long time for speeches. Then they can play.



---

But if it's only a couple of players, then I absolutely agree, Cheryl, on this one. You have the food and drink being served while the music is playing. People can stand and watch, or they can network. Let's just not make it into a big stage. For example, with the one where we had the tango, it was pretty hard not to watch. But if you have a couple of musicians just playing, then it is pretty easy to do other stuff. I think that works.

I like the idea of having two people from ALAC and one from NPOC and one from NCSG just as greeters. What that does is it makes it a combined event. But we can get into the speeches [down] so Göran can do his usual really short stuff, Steve can do his short stuff, Rinalia can do hers, and then the sponsors. I just think we don't need too many more speeches than that, and that way it keeps it as a joint event.

I don't know. Have we decided. If we're going to have a presentation, rather than having a presentation of each member because that then labels it as clearly an APRALO event, there are some really terrific pictures around of past Showcases that we could have just running as a nice background. Some of the great stuff that we had in Singapore or we could have the tango or whatever. There must a nice loop that we could do of past. Maureen, what do you think? Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I think that Satish's list there, I agree with what you said before is that we have a representative. If Adam wants to represent. We have Satish from APRALO, Adam representing [inaudible] far too many. Let's get on with the party.

HOLLY RAICHE: Maybe we can have Glenn, because Glenn takes a thousand pictures per hour. If he can come up with some nice pictures of all the events, that would be terrific. Do you think [inaudible] could actually have various pictures of all of the Showcase events and just have that as a background thing so people can have a look at past Showcases so that really the only expense is a couple of Indian musicians? Does that make sense?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, we can work on that out of this meeting. Yeah.

SATISH BABU: Also, what [inaudible] regarding the Diwali Lights, which is the festival of lights just a couple of days before. So some lights [inaudible] could be nice with some background music. So I think we have enough stuff to work with.

[HOLLY RAICHE]: I totally agree. I really like Cheryl's suggestion: a single sitar and the lights. That actually, number one, is cheap; number two, it's quite relevant to India; number three, it's not really that distracting. I think that works.

SATISH BABU: Right.

---

---

[HOLLY RAICHE]: And I think Gisella is right. We have to do some brainstorming. I think that works for me. I think we're on the way. I think that's what we've agreed.

SATISH BABU: Right. [Adam], do you have anything to add to the discussion?

ADAM PEAKE: Hello. I hope you can hear me. No, I don't think there's anything to add. I was thinking the same as Heidi that there's the gala event the night before, so I think we'll have a lot of cultural activities. I know there's a goal of around 150 people attending. If a lot of those are local people, I'm not too sure they need too much local entertainment. It's emphasizing the work that you do.

One thing I would try and include somewhere is the recent policy work that was mentioned a little bit on some recent calls just to let people know the work that At-Large does, which is I really think what the focus is interesting about. Why end users should care, that's a superb question and if there's some way to capture that.

Okay, I'm causing someone to giggle.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: No, Adam, we've all stayed away from that. We've always, always, always stayed away from doing policy. This is kind of a fun networking thing. We've never done policy work in a social event. Can you imagine

---

standing up there and talking about RDS services and a debate over whether or not the RDS is going to be adopted with gated access or not?

SATISH BABU:                    Alright.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:        Satish, I didn't put my hand up. If I may though, I would probably pitch an awful lot of what we do and why it's important every time I do any sort of networking at any sort of event. So I think what Adam was suggesting is that we take a focus to show what the At-Large community is all about. In fact, what we can do is encourage any of "our people" just the same as NPOC and NCUC would do the same for "their people" to make sure we've got the 60-second elevator pitch about what we are and why it's important and what our role in ICANN is ready to go. If each of us can do that 15 times to different people, not to the one person boring them, we'll have done an awful lot of outreach and networking and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. But we're talking the elevator pitch here. if someone is utterly and absolutely fascinated with RDS, we're send them to Holly. We'll have her besieged in the corner talking RDS all night. That's fine.

SATISH BABU:                    Thanks very much, Cheryl and Adam. We have also Kelvin on the call. Kelvin, is there anything you want to comment on? Anything at all?

---

KELVIN WONG: Hi. Can you hear me?

SATISH BABU: Yes.

KELVIN WONG: I was just looking at Maureen's comment. I agree with Maureen as well and Adam's comment also that, in fact, the chair of APRALO could include some of this in his speech. We've got a balance between it being too long and telling people what we do, but I agree with Maureen.

SATISH BABU: Right. Thanks, Kelvin. So I think, Kaili, would you like to add on anything before we go on to the next agenda item?

KAILI KAN: No, thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Kaili. I think we have a fair degree of consensus there, which is very good. We will go on to the next item on the agenda, which is Outreach. Maureen and Adam and Kelvin will be speaking on this. Plans with Fellows and NextGen. Maureen, would you like start?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, I can start. I think APRALO has been focusing quite a lot on [the capacity building side of things], but I'd be very interested to hear what

---

Adam and Kelvin are actually planning because I think that the outreach activities and the sorts of things that we were talking about in our last Outreach and Engagement meeting really focused on their work as well. So I think it would be good for them to introduce it in this meeting. Thank you. Adam and Kelvin?

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Maureen. Adam, please?

ADAM PEAKE: Hi. Again, I hope you can hear me. I never quite trust it when I'm using the computer directly rather than the dial-in, but I hope it's okay. There's not too much to update for you. I think I feel I'm repeating myself from other calls.

The outreach, as I've previously mentioned, [inaudible] local universities, the local institute of technology and the national law university. Both haven't progressed since the last of these calls. We're talking with them, but there's nothing concrete.

The idea is still to focus for visits from them to the ICANN meeting mainly on Friday, 4 November, as that would be around Newcomers Day with some other activities which Kelvin will touch on in a moment. But we don't have any concrete agreement of when they would arrive and how many may arrive and so on and so forth.

The idea would be two particular focuses, as mentioned before. The institute of technology is an elite technical university. So as well as trying to build a program for them to join into the Newcomers event,

---

there would also be some tailored event which would give them an insight into ICANN's technology activities and then trying to wrap them back into the events that are going on, on the Friday.

It would be very helpful to know what APRALO and At-Large have planned for the Friday so that we can make sure that they're involved in some way. When there aren't specific events for them with that tailored workshop that I was mentioning, then it would be very helpful to have somebody from APRALO to come in and give a perspective.

The law university would have a slightly different approach. Again, this is a very highly respected university and one of APRALO's former – I guess Vivek was an ALAC member, wasn't he? Not just an APRALO member. So Vivek is a professor there.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: He was a Nominating Committee appointment to the ALAC.

ADAM PEAKE: The NomCom. Thank you. Yes. Anyway, you have obviously somebody with a strong history in the organization, and his intention is to bring some of his postgraduate students to the meeting. They will probably be postgrad because the university is actually on a long holiday for the time that we're there. But hopefully 15-20 people, and we will again try and wrap these into the programs. Everything is just coming together in terms of schedule development for ICANN 57, so things are beginning to firm up but there's nothing firm at the moment.

---

I'd also like to note that there's a meeting on next Monday, [inaudible] ICANN. Satish is going to join and NPOC, NCUC, and others to try and discuss or share plans at the moment, where people are with their different outreach activities, and how each would benefit from collaboration and coordination of those events. That's a call we'll be holding on next Monday, the 26<sup>th</sup>, 13:00 UTC. There will be Spanish and French interpretation, which we try to add to make sure that the At-Large is better included.

That's me at the moment. Thank you.

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Adam. Kelvin, would you like to add to these presentations by Maureen and Adam?

KELVIN WONG: Sure. Thank you, Satish, and thanks, Adam, for the update. I've been working very closely with Adam on the outreach to the local university. One other part also looking at this is – I'm not sure if I shared this before – is NetMission.Asia, which is an ALS. We could see that also adds some as part of APRALO's efforts. It's a very early discussion, and NetMission is also looking to engage the students and also trying to do a role play of sorts on the [inaudible] ICANN meeting. But that is assuming we have enough students to come to the ICANN meeting. I will hope to update this group in a timely manner on our efforts with that mission. So there's that track.



---

I've also been in discussion with the DPRD team who is running the Next Generation program. I do know that they do have plans for presentations, which is presentation by the NextGen the community on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. They're also planning for a panel discussion. I think they are hoping to invite some community members to talk to the NextGeners on Monday and Tuesday afternoon as well.

But, of course, this is a program run by DPRD, so I won't go into the details. But this is where I see there is opportunity for APRALO to talk to the DPRD to see if we want to be part of this panel discussion, if they have not already reached out to you, so that we could share the work of APRALO as well as [end users] with this NextGeners.

Thank you. That's all from me.

SATISH BABU:

Right. Thanks, Kelvin. I think that was a good update from [inaudible]. Are there any questions or comments? Adam has raised hand. Please go ahead, Adam.

ADAM PEAKE:

Yeah, I should have also mentioned that we are trying to find local organizations that would be either end user or not-for-profit focused. Things are not going as well as we might have hoped. Again, I'm not sure that Hyderabad is a center for that type of activity. Delhi certainly would be, but Hyderabad seems to have more technology and business focus. But of course there will be organizations around, and we will let you know as we make contact so that we can share those with you and

---

any invitations we make, make sure that they know about the At-Large activities. Thanks.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Adam. Hyderabad in fact does have a few [business people], so you may be able to get a few, I'm sure. Are there any other comments? Seeing no hands raised, may we now move on to the Tribal Ambassadors program. Maureen, please.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, just very briefly. The Tribal Ambassadors, April and Valerie, who will be being hosted by APRALO under my wing, they are going to be very much involved with the Fellows program and so therefore are going to be engaged in lots of Fellows activities and the outreach activities that are going to be available and any of the capacity building if they've got time. We're actually planning to give them a little bit more input about ICANN.

We're just basically looking after them when they're actually in Hyderabad, and I'm keeping in touch with them up until we go to Hyderabad. But most of the administrative stuff of getting them there is being left with NARALO. But looking forward to meeting them. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Maureen. Are there any questions on this program? Right. Now move on to the Capacity Building Activities. Like Adam was just mentioning, I also feel that [there's a lot of repetition in multiple calls]

---

[inaudible]. But to summarize very quickly, the main program that we have is by Tijani's working group. Currently, the sessions are to be framed across four one-hour sessions at lunchtime.

Now lunchtime, unfortunately, has an issue because [there is lunch for a change in this meeting] so people have to have their lunch, and then they have to come [after they've had lunch], which makes it timing-wise a little bit of a challenge. As of now, we do not know what is the arrangement for lunch, how long it's going to take, and so on. We're hoping that people can finish their lunch in about 15 minutes and then come back to the hall.

The other challenge that is there is in scheduling for [inaudible] sessions because there are other competing programs that are already being scheduled. So now staff is working with these challenges and trying to organize a program.

We have about 15 ALSes participating as of now and another 9 or so observers from different parts of Asia Pacific who we are trying to now invite to this program. So even if there are dropouts, we might end up with about 15-20 people in the program.

That is the update on this from my side. Maureen, do you have anything to add to this?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Only that Holly and I have had little chats about the capacity building program, and we really want to make it interactive. They're going to be coming in and eating their lunch and using one of the few spaces of

---

relaxing time that they might have had, so we do want to make it interesting for them. We'll be working on ways in which we can present the material to them but get them involved as well. So, yeah, work in progress. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Maureen. Yeah, so the actual program for the capacity building sessions is something that will be [inaudible] and then we will be building it to suit. We have the [starting version] of the Marrakech program, and we can suitably modify it for Hyderabad.

Are there any questions or comments? If not, we will move to the last item. Seeing none, we now move on to Promotional Materials and [the person we have] to speak about this.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you. Hello, everyone. As you know, we have been working with our communication department who updates the flyer that we used in the past. Maybe we can put it on the screen. Many of you have already seen it. We updated some of the words to make it more up-to-date. It's looking very good. It's almost ready. It will be translated into Hindi, and we will have about [250] of these so they can be distributed among all the attendees at the Showcase.

We also are ordering buttons, these buttons with a red color and "Celebrating Diversity." They are very nice as well.

We also have business cards. The business cards – okay, I lost my Adobe Connect, but maybe if you [can look at] the business card also has

---

[website] on one of them has all the social media links there and e-mail addresses and contact addresses.

So we have three promotional materials that will be produced and printed and going to be distributed at the event.

I think someone also was thinking about bringing some sweets. That's something that was mentioned in the previous call. I put it there in case someone has some ideas about it. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Silvia. Are there any comments on this? In the meantime, there was a suggestion from Glenn that he could do the [inaudible] card. Now we have no idea who's going to fund it, and I'd like to find out if ICANN – do we have any plans to do this, or we don't need [inaudible]? So I told him that we will pick it up only if it seems that [inaudible]. Otherwise, we'll just kind of ignore that offer.

Okay, if there's anything, you will please let me know so that I can inform Glenn. Otherwise, we will [inaudible]. It's not required. [Heidi says] in the past Glenn has produced a [inaudible] for free. I will explore that with Glenn to see if he can do this for free. If so, we can go ahead.

Kaili says he will ask [inaudible] to see if they can bring back any materials, which is good and welcome.

Alright, so we see the [inaudible].

---

[SILVIA VIVANCO]: Can you hear me?

SATISH BABU: Yes.

[SILVIA VIVANCO]: They flyer was sent around. I'm glad that you have already seen it. I think I got feedback from everyone. Okay, we are [looking at the bottom].

SATISH BABU: Okay, so this is already circulated, and we're just looking at it again. It's [inaudible]. Alright, so Heidi has a [inaudible]. Please, go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, hi. I will first respond to Holly. Could you please give Gisella's e-mail to any kind of response or [inaudible]? She is now training in [full] meeting and sponsorship activities, so she will be the new point person for that.

Then for this, I'd like to also respond. What you're seeing on the screen right now is what we have committed to producing. I believe we said around 200. What we would like to do is if you all agree with this design, we'll go ahead and order those. This is the "Celebrating Diversity" one.

Then on the one asking about APRALO or asking about At-Large, either Satish can follow up with Glenn or we can follow up on the budget if we

---

can cover that in the next couple of weeks once we have a better idea on sponsorship levels. Thank you.

SATISH BABU:

Alright, thanks for that, Heidi. Holly has a comment on the format. And we will follow up. Okay, Maureen says she will follow up with Glenn. Does that sound good?

Are there any other comments on any of these things we have discussed so far? We are a couple of minutes our deadline. Seeing none, I'd like to close this call.

Thanks very much for joining this call [today]. I think the major achievement or outcome of this call was that we have a fair consensus on the Showcase, which is a great relief. Also, the [inaudible] raising funds for the Showcase is very welcome, and thanks again [inaudible].

Seeing no other comments, I'd like to once again thank everyone, and this call is now concluded. Thanks and bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**