
YESIM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement call that takes place on Tuesday, 2 August 2016, at 16:30 UTC.

On the call today on the English channel, we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Daniel Nanghaka, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Maureen Hilyard, Alfredo Calderon, Glenn McKnight, and Ali AlMeshal.

On the Spanish channel, we have Maritza Aguero. Currently, we don't have anyone on the French channel.

We have apologies from Heidi Ullrich, Bartlett Morgan, Janice Lange, and Alan Greenberg.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, Deborah Escalera, and myself, Yesim Nazlar.

Our French interpreter today is Claire, and our Spanish interpreter is Verónica.

Finally, I'd like to remind everyone to state their names before speaking, not only for the transcript purposes, but also for the interpretation purposes as well.

Thank you very much. Dev, over to you.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Yesim. Welcome, everyone, to the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee call. On this call, I just wanted to take the opportunity to look at what should be our immediate work items or objectives leading up to ICANN 57.

I prepared a table of possible things that we need to do. Of course, I'm looking to you, the Outreach and Engagement members, if you have particular work ideas/items that we wish to add to this or we want to modify these work items.

I put all of these items up on the wiki, and I will now place the link here. As we work through it, we can then look back on what was done before and, therefore, see what has been working for us or what hasn't worked for us and what can we do going forward. Okay?

So let's get right to it. I see staff has already generated a PDF of the page in question. Sorry, my computer [inaudible] there. Okay, so one of the key items is to work on outreach activities for ICANN 57 to take place during ICANN 57 in Hyderabad, India.

As you know, Hyderabad, India, and ICANN 57 is going to be a 7- to 8-day event. It's in the Meeting C format. On the Outreach call in Helsinki, we outlined several – I think Satish and Maureen and Siranush from APRALO – made some preliminary suggestions based on conversations APRALO had during ICANN 56.

Two [follow ups] that need to happen, and I guess this is perhaps either for staff or perhaps maybe somebody from APRALO has the information already, is to populate the wiki page for outreach activities for ICANN

57. Some ideas were expressed during that Outreach and Engagement call in Helsinki.

Maureen, you have your hand raised.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Dev. The APRALO leadership team had a meeting with Silvia a few hours ago, and we were just doing some follow up on that meeting in Helsinki. There's some information on the workspace at the moment, but we're developing those and looking at all the sorts of activities that APRALO is going to be involved in organizing. Nothing is totally confirmed as yet, but Holly is going to put together a table of activities just because for some of our actions we're looking at costs. As soon as that becomes available, I'll make sure that the Outreach Working Group is informed of progress.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay, thanks, Maureen. I see Silvia has put the link to the APRALO space wiki page for this, so thanks for that. Perhaps let's keep the Outreach and Engagement page with links to that as we develop what we can do for that event at ICANN 57.

Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Dev. Do you hear me now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can hear you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you very much. As you know, APRALO will prepare a capacity building progress for their ALSes in Hyderabad. No, not for – for some NGOs that they will bring in Hyderabad. They asked me to help, and I committed to help.

I spoke with Satish proposed to him that since we will prepare a progress for capacity building, doing it for 5 persons or for 25 persons is exactly the same. So why not bring some students or some teachers in the universities in Hyderabad that are linked directly to the [ICTs], to the Internet, and make the capacity building for them also? This will be a very good way of outreach for those people for APRALO.

Satish found the idea good, and he promised to discuss it with the APRALO. I hope it was discussed. I think that it is a good way to have an outreach activity with more or less no big effort. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Tijani. Indeed, I'd just like to say, of course, make sure that is part of work on all those outreach activities and let's ensure that we have it all documented on the wiki as to what are the ideas so we can now work on a [inaudible] of what are outreach activities are in ICANN 57. I mean, I've heard the discussion regarding the NGOs. I believe there was also some discussion about the RALO ambassadors coming to Hyderabad, outreach to the local universities and so forth.

But I see other persons in the queue. Ali, go ahead.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Dev. Yes, Tijani. Responding to Tijani. Yes, today we were having our APRALO strategy meeting for the outreach activity as Maureen just mentioned, and there were a number of initiatives, a number of let's say [plans] to do. That's why we said let's coordinate all of these thoughts and plans and see how we can go along with all of this. What can we do and what we can't do. This will be a tighter schedule of the ICANN meeting in Hyderabad.

So a number of things were raised, and we are now [inaudible] all of these. I'm sure we'll be sharing it with the Outreach Committee here once we have at least some [inaudible]. But, yes, these things were discussed, and we are looking into the possibilities to accommodate [inaudible]. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Ali. Okay, Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Of course, we will have had a summer school activity as a day zero activity, not specifically related to ICANN but before ICANN, and that in itself may act as an outreach at least to local interested parties. But that said, we also need to realize that the logistics in Hyderabad are also going to limit what we can realistically do in any given day, depending on our schedule. Just wait, if you are not actually accommodated on site, as to how long you will be in traffic and how late you will be to everything you're trying to get to. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Cheryl. So my next question is, how often do you think this subgroup within APRALO and this working subcommittee will need to meet to organize, to coordinate, and to document the ideas for what outreach activities we want to do and then start really detailing that out on the wiki page? Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thanks, Dev. Although we had our initial meeting this morning – and Ali and Silvia can back me up on this one – but we proposed to include [inaudible] to be involved in this meeting as well as in the capacity building working group. So the group will increase in size as we start to coordinate a lot more of our activities.

We just wanted to get a better handle on what our involvement was before we engaged other people. I think that there are quite a few activities going on, and we wanted to sort out what we might be responsible for and what we would be sharing with other people. So everyone will definitely be engaged, and we'll let everyone know. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. I see Silvia has her hand raised. Go ahead, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, thank you, Dev. Just to add on to what Maureen said, on the wiki page, when you are there you can see some of the ideas. Basically,

there will be an outreach event, some sort of cocktail or showcase possibly with some sort of cultural performance. We are still talking about the numbers. APRALO will query the list and see how many people are going to travel on their own.

There is also the possibly and Satish is working with the government to find some financing to bring the Indian ALSes to participate in person. There are six Indian ALSes, so possibly two per ALS – that would be 12. So there will be people attending in person, and they are definitely a target for these capacity building activities as well as the NGOs that may participate as well.

So that's the ideas on the table now as they are being discussed. And Satish and everybody's working to get more people involved. So please stay tuned, and let's continue sharing information based on how to maximize the event.

The other comment is I wanted to bring up the Tribal Ambassadors pilot. As you know, this project is targeted to individuals who are members of indigenous groups in the U.S. and Canada. This is kind of a fellowship, and the fellowship will be awarded by an independent selection committee, so there will be two participants who will be coming to Hyderabad in person – so the tribal ambassadors. That will be an excellent opportunity as well to work with them and to include them in the plans of the Outreach and Engagement subcommittee.

That's all. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Silvia. Thanks for mentioning the link and about the Tribal Ambassadors pilot. I see you've posted a link in the chat.

Alright, so it looks like some good preliminary discussions are happening. I'm just wondering if you've got some ideas. Okay, so may I suggest that perhaps Maureen be the project leader in terms of reporting back to Outreach and Engagement and also to just to make sure to coordinate with everybody and then share that the wiki page is updated and so forth. Maureen, can I ask you to take that role?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thanks, Dev. Yes, between Silvia and I, I'm sure we'll keep everything up-to-speed. Thanks.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I will be happy to help.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Great. Thanks for that. Okay, so that's one key work item. As the wiki page is populated, we can then work on a proper schedule for conference calls dedicated to actually plan out these outreach activities – [inaudible], NGOs, tribal ambassadors, having the ALSes present, etc.

Okay, so that's one work item that's to be worked on. The second thing was help develop the Outreach and Engagement strategies. This is coming out of a requirement of the Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program (CROPP). The idea is for the members of this group to work with the RALO in developing outreach strategies for each RALO.

This was done for FY16, and CROPP FY17 has begun. Therefore, these proposals need to be developed by the RALOs and the Outreach and Engagement members and submitted to the regional global stakeholder and engagement [VPs]. Only after that approval can CROPP proposals be filed. So until that has happened, no RALO can file CROPP proposals until that outreach plan is in place.

I believe NARALO has been the only one. I could be wrong. I haven't checked the wiki as yet. I know NARALO has probably put together their outreach plan, and that was approved by the regional [GFC]. I believe all of the other RALOs are working to develop each of their plans for submission to the regional [GFC].

I see two hands raised, Tijani and Ali. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Dev. AFRALO have developed its strategic plan and got it approved by the vice president for Africa. So it is now on the CROPP page as approved strategy. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Ah, thanks for that update, Tijani. Thanks for that. Ali?

ALI ALMESHAL:

Same here. The strategy has been approved, and it has been uploaded on the CROPP wiki page a long time ago.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright, so [inaudible] out there have outreach strategies in hand. For LACRALO, the outreach plan is still under review and comment, and I believe EURALO has also been – I know they've had some preliminary discussions in Helsinki with – EURALO leadership at least has had some preliminary discussions with the regional [GFC]. I believe they had the opportunity to discuss some things in Helsinki, and so I think that is also in track.

Okay, so that is the other work items. And any co-chairs can work to coordinate any updates, including strategies and so forth if there are updates to be made.

Okay, so seeing no other further comments on this, the next work item: Build on the presentation to introduce or promote At-Large. This is the presentation that was developed by this subcommittee for the ICANN 56 Helsinki meeting with the NextGen students. What could be added or removed or improved?

Just to recap, on Monday during the ICANN 56 Helsinki meeting, we had what I think was perhaps for the very first time a proper engagement with the NextGen students. A presentation was shown that tried to explain what is At-Large – what we do, how do you get involved, how do you engage. I thought the session actually went quite well. I really welcomed the opportunity to have that session. I think it's something that perhaps we should repeat for any ICANN face-to-face meeting to have that interaction with the NextGen students and potentially also with the Fellows.

I note the questions, and I guess I will throw it out to the group quickly. Were there any comments regarding this? What could be added or improved or removed from the presentation? Because now we have this [inaudible] presentation that any RALO can now take, for example, for outreach activities in terms of if they're going to an outreach event, they can use this presentation to explain what is At-Large and what we do and how to join or how to become involved in At-Large. Any comments or observations or questions? The floor is open.

Well, seeing silence, I say – ah, Cheryl, I see. Go right ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Dev. I just wanted to put to voice what I put in the chat, which is a reiteration of what Tijani raised at the [Helsinki] meeting, and that is that we do need to try and avoid some of the clashes that we couldn't avoid in Helsinki, I admit. But when we are trying to put our best foot forward and show off as much as possible the diversity that we have and what we do, it's probably wise if we can avoid clashing with timing for other key ALAC meetings at least. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks for that, Cheryl. I think perhaps a way to do that would be to work closely with the NextGen ICANN staff. I see Deborah has her hand raised. Deborah, please go ahead.

DEBORAH ESCALERA: Hi. Just a comment. The experience that the NextGen had at the [inaudible] was very positive. I had a lot of good feedback from the

group. They learned a lot, so I feel like it was a positive experience for them.

In Hyderabad, I think [inaudible] just FYI – for your information – will be an [inaudible] session. So as you're planning this meeting, you might want to keep that in mind. We're not sure. Normally, our sessions are in the morning, but I believe in Hyderabad there is going to be [inaudible] session will probably run around two hours, so we will be booked daily for a two-hour block.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Deborah. A question then, so then that means that during that two-hour block, we can have an interactive session similar to what happened at ICANN 56 Helsinki meeting, correct?

DEBORAH ESCALERA: Well, during that two-hour block, that's going to have individual speakers coming in to speak to the NextGen, so they'll be booked during that time. So if you wanted them to attend At-Large sessions, that's why I'm letting you know they will not be available during that two-hour block. Of course, we won't know what our schedule is for quite some time, but I will keep you posted.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Deborah. So I'm just thinking that perhaps what probably should happen is that we will then likely try to come to one of the NextGen blocks on a day so that we can show what is At-Large and so forth and repeat what was done for ICANN 56. So, obviously, as the

schedule gets further developed, we'll work on booking an appropriate time with the NextGen students.

Ali, your hand was raised. Sorry, go ahead, Deborah.

DEBORAH ESCALERA: Yes, well, normally what happens is the speakers that come in run about 15 minutes each, and I know that the At-Large session was quite longer than that. But we can work out the logistics later. Normally, during these sessions we have people come in and speak for about a 15-minute block each so if you're going to want longer than that, we might want to attend a specific session for At-Large. Just FYI.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks for that. Alright, Ali, your hand was raised. You took it down?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yeah. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh, okay. Alright, so I guess one of the things that we probably do need to do is to build on the presentation. Perhaps what we can do is reach out to those persons that actually joined the Outreach and Engagement group. What I will do is reach out to them, and let's see if we can work to update the presentation and answer any unresolved questions in the

slides that perhaps were [reaped] by when they attended the discussion.

I guess this is a question for Deborah, when you say you had feedback, was there some form of written feedback that could be shared with the group or was it just informal feedback talking to the NextGen students?

DEBORAH ESCALERA:

We had a wrap-up session, informal, at the end of ICANN 56. We had an informal wrap-up session, and we talked about all the sessions that had taken place and all of the experiences that they had had during the week. It was informal, and then of course I do a survey and ask about the sessions. So it was not specific feedback. They felt like they did learn a lot. And at the end of each day, we did have a [inaudible] and they said the At-Large session was enlightening and they had a positive experience with it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Alright, thanks for that. Okay, thanks, Deborah. What I can do is then make an action item to reach out to those persons and then put those persons that joined the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee. They've already sent some input via e-mail, and I'll probably share that with the group and work to update the presentation based on their comments.

The key thing regarding the comments made was that they wanted more information about how the actual working groups were. We just said that there were working groups and there were two types, but

what were the actual working groups? Could there be a slide or two explaining what each of the working groups did or citing some examples? So I'll work to follow up with them on the presentation and then update it.

Deborah, you have your hand raised. Is that an old hand, or is there another comment?

DEBORAH ESCALERA: No, not me.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh, okay, very well. So let's move on to the next proposed work item. That is to seek and find outreach events for At-Large to add to the outreach calendars created by this SC. I just want to reiterate that the idea behind coming up with the outreach calendars was so that the RALOs can plan in advance for possible outreach events to consider to attend to. So the intent is for the outreach calendars [inaudible] the O&E members and the RALO leadership can look at the calendar, see what's coming up ahead, decide in terms of allocation how many travelers should go to that event in terms of the size of the event, how many outreach events there are in the region, and so forth.

I believe the calendars are straightforward. Members are aware of how they work and so forth, so we don't need to spend too much time on it. Well, if anybody has any questions, please raise their hand on it. This is an ongoing exercise, and it's important to seek to update the calendar and also to review the calendar. Okay, any comments or questions?

Okay, so moving ahead to the next work item would be ongoing collaboration and participation in ICANN's Civil Society approach, the idea being that as ICANN develops its civil society approach and one of the things that we are looking at is to come up with a form of... okay, here's the strategy. We're reaching out to civil society or to those organizations and individuals that self-identify themselves as civil society that there is a place in ICANN's multistakeholder community for civil society. And we want to ensure from an outreach and engagement perspective that the At-Large is seen as a home to civil society individuals and/or organizations.

So civil society, ICANN's group, meets I would say once a month or at least once every two months as they do work to develop their strategies and they bring out the strategies for comment and feedback.

Currently, I think it's mostly the co-Chairs are the ones that follow the Civil Society approach, so if there are other persons that are willing to also be involved in this, please let us know so that happens when the invite goes out to the Civil Society Meeting session you can also get the invite and therefore attend.

Any comments or questions on this, regarding civil society?

Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. I have a question with regards to the membership of the Civil Society Engagement system. Are we as the Outreach and Engagement Working Group to be the members of this

group, or how does it work? Because the concern I've seen so far is the large number of people from NCSG and NCUC and NPOC, and a little involvement from At-Large. So I was just going to ask to what extent we are to have maybe a liaison or maybe something for us to have a regular update on what's going on there.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. It's a good question. Ideally, right now I believe what has happened is that I believe the co-Chairs from the O&E have been the ones most involved in the Civil Society Engagement Approach document. There's only been actually two calls I believe, and there's also a mailing list for the Civil Society group that was established. At best I can't recall seeing any recent activity on it.

So I would say that I would like persons at least if they wish to be considered to take the project lead on this from each of the regions to be involved in the civil society I think that would be very welcome. So that's my comment on it. But I haven't seen any recent communication from Civil Society Engagement Approach of recent. But I imagine there will be something happening very soon.

Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Dev. Yes it has gone a little quiet for a while. That's probably because in the meeting before Helsinki there was a fair amount of discussion and debate between staff assisting in this venture and the community members involved, which probably needed to take a little

bit of digestion and refocusing. The long story short, it really is time for the user communities within ICANN to see themselves as either civil society or with vested interest in Civil Society Outreach and Engagement to be more proactive and to design the model a little bit more themselves.

That said, it would be excellent if we could have more At-Large community members, and particularly people from each of the RALOs, take an active interest in this group. It is not an onerous task. It's a philosophical meeting of minds and seeing how we can work smarter not harder. If you want a liaison from this group I'm happy to act in that capacity. I don't believe I've missed any of their meetings yet. But at the moment it is quite quiet.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Cheryl. Indeed, it's been relatively quiet. So I think for those persons that as you say have self-identified themselves as civil society and are already members of At-Large, I think this will be obviously in this Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee this is probably a unique opportunity to follow what ICANN is doing in reaching out to civil society and giving feedback as to whether, is this the right message, is At-Large being represented appropriately, and ensuring that again, when civil society actors – individuals, organizations – are joining ICANN and seeing the multistakeholder community they see that At-Large is also a home for such civil society actors.

Great. Let's see. Okay, and Glenn has posted a link to the Fellowship, the Stakeholder Analysis Tool, that's going to be discussed which is actually the next item.

So any other thoughts or comments? I think what we can do just to make sure that everybody is aware of the Civil Society approach, perhaps we can just simply just do a call for [a group of] persons who wish to follow and track the ICANN Civil Society approach, post that to the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee as an update. So let's note that as an action item so we can just get some more persons from all the RALOs involved in following the civil society engagement in ICANN.

Maritza is asking a question, just to look at the question. Yes, I believe that this is the wiki for ICANN's civil society group. So thanks for finding it.

Okay. Next item as a proposed work item – updating the ICANN Stakeholder Analysis Tool to track other stakeholders in ICANN. This was demonstrated at the ICANN 56 Helsinki meeting and got good feedback on it. I'm looking now to even incorporate what the At-Large participants in it. Right now the spreadsheet as it tracks the ccNSO, the Fellowship, and the GAC membership by region and by territory. So the next step is to integrate that with the RALO dashboards so that we can now line up who are the At-Large representatives in those countries and regions, and therefore expand the Stakeholder Analysis Tool.

Glenn has been updating the tool and I've been working to update it and we can show how it all works in the background. I'm willing to

continue doing this because it's something I'm interested in from a deep dive analysis of this tool.

Any thoughts or comments on the Stakeholder Analysis Tool? Okay. Great.

Alright, then we can move on to the next item on the proposed work items for ICANN 57. This is one that was there from previous, which is "Collaborate with the At-Large Capacity Building Working Group in order to ensure that future Capacity Building webinars are complementary to the Outreach and Engagement strategies developed by the Subcommittee."

I guess it's not really an in-depth project, it's really more just to make sure that we are kept aware of what is happening in the Capacity Building Working Group in terms of their discussions, and if we have any ideas and suggestions for the Capacity Building Working Group, take it to the Capacity Building Working Group to ensure that the appropriate capacity building sessions can be developed.

Any thoughts or comments in terms of what possible ideas for Capacity Building webinars or something that anybody thinks should be added to improve outreach and engagement? This floor is open. You don't have to come up with comments or suggestions now.

Okay, so seeing no hands raised, we can then also [add] this, as I say, as a regular update to the Outreach and Engagement mailing list. Just keep asking people what ideas they have for Capacity Building webinars, and especially when the Capacity Building Working Group has made a

request for possible topics to be developed by the Capacity Building Working Group for possible topics.

Okay. Alright, the next item that was on our work plan was the creation of e-books using existing materials. Glenn McKnight was the project leader on this. I know quite a lot of work has been done already on this. Do you have anything you want to add to this item or... Okay. No. Very well.

Perhaps, Glenn, I know there's a wiki page with all of these e-books there. We probably have got to make sure and link it to the proposed items because I couldn't find it initially before the call.

Deborah, you have your hand raised? Go ahead.

DEBORAH ESCALERA: Yes, I just wanted to make a comment. I'm looking at the agenda and it says Jeff Dunn in DPRD will lead online learning platform. It's actually Elizabeth Andrews as Jeff was no longer with us.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I see. That is correct. That probably needs to be updated. Thanks, Deborah.

Okay. Alright, so the next proposal work item is something regarding working group revitalization. This topic actually was scheduled for discussion at ICANN 56, but the discussion was postponed and the topic, I believe, was to look at how some working groups are relatively inactive

or are inactive and how do we revitalize those working groups so that these working groups can become active again.

Maureen, I see a hand raised. Go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Dev. Yes, I've been working with this on this particular activity with the ALAC and I think came to a group decision. There are some working groups that actually are now defunct, and defunct mainly because they may have completed their role. But there are some groups that may appear to be inactive or they are inactive currently but they're still in existence because there are issues that arise not on a regular basis and a lot of those working groups are working on that sort of topic.

So we had left it up to the Chairs to probably inform the ALAC a little bit more regularly about where the working group was at. But at the moment we're still working through some issues with some [inaudible]. And Olivier might have something more to say on this.

Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks, Maureen. I'm sure Olivier does have something to say on this. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. And thanks, Maureen, for this quick run-down of where we are. Unfortunately as it said here, the topic was scheduled to be discussed in ICANN 56 but it was postponed. I would hope that this gets discussed as soon as possible.

My view is that we have these amazing working groups that don't seem to be doing much. It's primarily, I guess, the people that are supposed to lift the working group into moving forward are the Chairs, but the Chairs don't have time or have moved on, and I think in some cases it is the case. Then the ALAC needs to reappoint new Chairs. There are plenty of people on the ALAC who are twiddling their thumbs and that would be very happy to, I'm sure, to assume the chairmanship of a vibrant or potentially vibrant working group. It's only through these vibrant working groups that we would end up being able to scale up and to involve more people.

I remind you all that the ALAC mailing list has got open archives, but nobody else apart from ALAC members are able to write onto the ALAC mailing list so it makes it very difficult to have good discussions on that. Working groups are a perfect way to do the actual heavy lifting and work that is needed, especially when it comes down to policy.

That's all. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. I can't agree more. I would say that the new gTLD Working Group is one that needs urgent revitalization and activation. Given the amount of activity, policy discussions are happening within the GNSO, the Subsequent Procedures Working Group, happening in

that, the time for actual policy involvement is I would say now in that.
So I fully agree.

Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. Just on things like the new gTLD work which is the Subsequent Procedures one, is the one I am particularly familiar with, we do have a number of particularly active to say the least representatives on those PDP Process Working Groups within the GNSO. So let's not lose sight of the fact that it's not like we're not having input into policy here, we are. What we need however, is to have a conduit or effective method of facilitating the opinions, thoughts, desires, and concerns of the edge communities from our At-Large Structures within the RALOs to feed into what is being represented and purported in these working groups as being in the best interest of our Internet end users and individual domain name registrars.

It may be that a slight shift in type of work group may also happen, for example – and I'm not suggesting the weekly or several times a week regularity of what we did in support of your members of the CCWG and CWG during the very busy last 18 months of those two activities – but to have a dedicated and relatively regular meeting where people can review what's going on in these PDP and Policy [inaudible] and get engaged right from the At-Large Structure members – note, I'm not saying the representatives of the ALSs here, I am talking about rank and file if they are interested.

Those sorts of opportunities with a little bit of revitalization of the various working groups could be quite useful. And I think the new gTLDs is an ideal example where you really don't need a naval gazing exercise from a hand-picked group of vested interest opinionated individuals. Is that clear enough for everybody?

Talking about new GTLDs, their merit, and whether they should happen at all, we do need to find out what is in the view of the communities we represent in their best interest as we go forward. So we might just need to look at the mandate as well as the mechanisms and expectations. It may not be monthly meetings. It may be once a quarter. But these processes need the "from the edge" input and that's what we need to try and facilitate the groups, I believe, in our outreach and engagement activities.

Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Cheryl. Yes, I think very good points. And I agree, perhaps a slightly different approach. It doesn't have to be a rigid type of weekly meetings or whatever. But I do get a sense that there's opportunity for the At-Large community to get involved and the persons that are already involved in the GNSO Subsequent Procedures perhaps could be of the conduit to help point them to where things are and so that they can get involved. And I wanted to include this because I think this working group revitalization is something that I think is very important because it's really how working groups are, how the At-Large

community can be engaged in At-Large. That's why I wanted to keep it in there.

So my next question is, of course, what's your idea – what should the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee should be working on? What's your comments? What's your thoughts as to what the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee should be doing? The floor is open and we have about five minutes left on this. Anyone? The floor is open. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Just a quick one, I think the war on acronyms is one thing we should be working on. I know that we keep on saying please don't use acronyms but we still find them all over the place. We should have a dedicated team that goes to the wiki pages and cleans this up.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I see. Okay. Thanks for that, Olivier. You raise an interesting point about the wiki. I have to say the wiki is – how shall I put it? A challenge to navigate because there's a lot of content there and over time there's a lot of stuff there.

I have to say our At-Large website has made a big impact in how information is organized. So I would say the wiki reorganization and updating has been put on the back burner while the At-Large website development took place. But perhaps for working groups, perhaps we need to look at probably a new layout or a reorganizing of how the working group is presented to anybody visiting the working group.

Because I think potentially what happens is that when a person goes to a working group page, and especially if they're not accustomed to At-Large and how it works, I think they might just get a little bit put off as to how to engage properly and how to join it properly.

So perhaps that's something that could be looked at. I think that's something that could fall under outreach and engagement because it's not so much a technology issue per se. But that's just a thought. Any thoughts or comments?

Glenn. You may be muted Glenn. I'm not hearing you. Unfortunately, Glenn, we're still not hearing you. We can hear you, very faintly.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Can you hear me okay now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. You're still very faint but I can hear you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, I'll try to speak up loud. My comment on the engagement with potentially new members or just engaged, educating people, is more informal rather than just a documented process. What we've been doing – myself and some other volunteers – is helping photograph all the Fellows and engage them at their reception so that personal one-on-one, not a heavy sell or a hard sell, but more of a interpersonal relationship and I think that works quite well. So I would say that we should also try to encourage that with other members, that we have a

number of civil society people who've gotten a Fellowship. Maybe some way we could try to reach out to them [inaudible]. That's just my general comment.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn. It is actually a good point actually actively following up with Fellows, reaching out to those Fellows and so forth. I think that's perhaps that our point person for each region can track the Fellows from a particular region to see how they can get involved and follow up with that. That's actually a good idea.

Alright. And I know we're coming to the top of the hour, so I do note the comments from people that are saying it's a good idea regarding the wiki in terms of how to organize the wiki and so forth. So perhaps let's [look], a little subteam to try to organize the working group wiki page and see perhaps some people are interested in that. Okay, let's see if we can [cuddle] and try to come up with a new layout and bring it to the group for comment. Alright?

Glenn, you have a quick follow-up, or was that it? No. Okay. Very well.

I just want to quickly ask, I'm thinking for the next Outreach and Engagement call, perhaps should be in the next... I think I do want to have at least an Outreach call at least once a month most definitely for sure, and perhaps we probably do need a perhaps even a second Outreach call per month [inaudible] at the beginning of the month.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Hell no.]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: [Hell no?] Well I do want to suggest that perhaps we should have our next Outreach and Engagement call towards the end of this month since we didn't have an Outreach and Engagement call in July. Especially when it comes up to a possible meeting on ICANN 57 outreach activities. My thinking would be that we have a second Outreach call towards the end of the month, perhaps during the week of the 22nd or the 29th. Alright?

Any Other Business? Anybody has any comments or questions? Last call, quickly. Going once, going twice, going thrice. Okay. Fantastic.

I'd like to thank everyone for attending this call and thanks for the contributions and suggestions, and as I see we do have a lot of work on our agenda and I look forward to working on all of these agenda items. I'd like to thank everyone for the call and have a pleasant good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and good night. Thank you to the interpreters. This call is now adjourned.

YESIM NAZLAR: The meeting has been adjourned so there will now be disconnected. Thank you very much for your participation and have a lovely rest of the day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]