

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO teleconference held on Monday the 12<sup>th</sup> of September, 2016, at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Evan Leibovitch, John Laprise, Gordon Chillcott, Alfredo Calderon, Javier Rua-Jovet, Eduardo Diaz, Seth Reiss, Lynden Price, Alan Greenberg, Eve Edelson, William Michael Cunningham, Judith Hellerstein, Le-Marie Thompson, Wes Boudville, and Louis Houle.

Our ITEMS Team member today is Tim McGinnis.

We have listed apologies from Timothy Denton and Marita Moll

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, and myself, Terri Agnew.

Our French interpreters today are Isabelle and Camila.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking, not only for transcription purposes but also for our interpreters. Also as a reminder, if we could please ask everyone to mute when not speaking. On the telephone you can press \*6 to mute, \*7 to unmute. And if you've activated your Adobe Connect mic you may mute your microphone now.

With that, I'll turn it back over to Glenn McKnight to begin the meeting. Please begin.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, do you need me to Chair? Because you're coming in very loud and echoing.

Good morning and afternoon to all. As we see the agenda on the screen, I wanted to go to the action items, and maybe Ariel or Heidi or whoever, Silvia, can discuss the action items.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you very much. I have some action items here. I will read it for all of you.

Glenn McKnight and Judith will make a three to six month follow-up on CROPP trips. The assessment will include the [significance] of the trip, including results and impact.

Glenn McKnight to follow up with Andrew Mack regarding action items from ICANN 56.

Volunteers interested in occupying Garth's available slot and they are listed there.

Volunteers [for an] organizing committee for the NARALO General Assembly.

Requests for the NARALO BCEC and BMSBC members to be taken once the call is officially announced.

And Judith, I would like to mention that it looks like all of the action items are taken care of. There is one, perhaps you could update the group regarding the CROPP trips and the assessment and the review

---

that you are proposing about the effectiveness of the trips and the results of the CROPP trips. That would be, I think, the only action item open for now. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thank you, Silvia. Thank you for that for the action items. We will discuss the CROPP thing underneath the CROPP items on the agenda. I think Glenn has reached out to Andrew Mack several times and hasn't been able to reach him so we don't know what to do about that. For the CROPP trips, we have prepared a form that we're circulating also through the CROPP RT list of how to do follow-up. We can discuss that later. Can you post back the agenda, please?

Thank you. The next item up is any community announcements. Do we have any announcements from our community they want to share of items of what they've done? If not, we can just go over. We wanted to announce that John Laprise was selected for the substitute for Garth Bruen, and he'll be taking Louis Houle. There was an extra half slot that was offered by Alan Greenberg, and Louis Houle will be doing that. So they will be joining us at Hyderabad. And we're hoping that some of the processing that Constituency Travel had to do would be finished and that everything would be working.

We also want to announce that we have two Tribal Ambassadors – Valerie Fast Horse and April Tinhorn. They will also be going to ICANN and they will be connected with the regular Fellows and integrated into that program. Janice who runs the program is working with them, and instead of staying in the same hotel as the At-Large. We wanted to

---

make sure that they were fully integrated into the Fellowship program so they're going to be staying with the Fellows and going to all the fellow activities. They've also been assigned an At-Large Mentor, and that is Maureen Hilyard, and they've already started working with Maureen. We had an introductory call for them. Thank you for putting up the photos. She has little photos and bios of these two ambassadors. So that is on there.

We also wanted to say that we've chosen people for the Policy Development Pilot. We want to thank Gordon Chillcott and Glenn McKnight for volunteering to help out with that. We also want to thank John Laprise for volunteering to be on the ALAC selection Committee. We look forward to hearing from him about the results of those committees.

The BCEC, our selections – and I believe they've been approved by ALAC but maybe Heidi can double-check with that – is Eduardo Diaz and Louis Houle, with the alternate being Murray McKercher. And then the BMSBC, the nominees are Glenn McKnight and John Laprise, with the alternate of Gordon Chillcott.

Heidi, is that correct? Heidi, I guess, is typing. She doesn't have a voice. Yes, she says she's going to check. So we're waiting for At-Large to vote on that and so hopefully they have.

Are there any other community announcements? Does anyone have any activities that are going on that they want to talk about? I know that ISOC-DC is connecting with PIR and others, a DNS Forum on Wednesday and Thursday, that's going to be webcast. I don't have the webcast links

---

right now but I know Joly will post it into the chat because Joly has all these links.

Joly has a comment. Joly, yes please go ahead.

JOLY MACFIE:

Apart from the DNS Forum I wanted to mention Intercommunity which is on September 21<sup>st</sup> which is when all the different Internet Society chapters link up with each other.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Joly, can you speak louder? It's very low.

JOLIE MACFIE:

So on September 21<sup>st</sup> we have Intercommunity when all the different Internet Society people and chapters around the world hook up. Starting around noon we have a regional meet-up with all of the global meet-ups. We have 15 minutes of time there which is open to discuss regional issues. So if there are regional issues that we want to raise on behalf of NARALO, it's something that we could discuss on the mailing list between now and then.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much. Can you post in the chat the links to the webcast for the DNS Forum?

---

JOLY MACFIE:

Sure.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

That would be great. Anyone else have any community events to talk about?

Okay, I see no hands. That'll be good. Then I guess we'll move on. I guess, Tim, since you are the person who's going to [inaudible] why don't you go ahead?

TIM MCGINNIS:

Okay, I'd be happy to. As most of you know, the ICANN Bylaws mandate a review of the Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees every five years. The last one was done in 2008/2009 by Westlake Consulting. I think the IANA Transition pushed back the At-Large review this time so we're doing it this year. I'm working with ITEMS International who's done a review of ccNSO and ASO in the past. The team is Rosa Delgado, Nick Thorne, Tom Mackenzie, and I.

We've done a series of face-to-face interviews and we have prepared an online survey which will be released in the next week or so in three languages. We want to spread this survey as far and as wide as we can. We've got some questions that are aimed at focusing the At-Large community. We would love to have everybody from all of your ALSes respond to it and we will be publicizing the link to that survey in the coming week along with the At-Large staff.

If you have any questions on the review you can certainly ask me or any one of the team, but it's pretty straightforward. We've tried to make it

---

as brief as possible while still covering as much ground as we can, and we would love to have the cooperation of all of your ALSes' membership.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Great. Thanks so much. I appreciate that.

Joly, is that an old hand? Great. Can others mute their phones if they're not talking? Mute the actual Adigo if you're not talking. Thank you.

Next we want to move on to what we've been doing on outreach and engagement. We've been doing a lot of work on the brochure [bubble]. We've also noticed that a lot of different RALOs have Facebook pages and we want to see whether this is something the other RALO is interested in and maybe we could do a show of hands and see whether that is of interest to people.

Do we want a Facebook page? So please raise your hand if you would like to have a Facebook page. LACRALO has one and others have one as well. Are people raising hands for questions or raising hands for agree?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Questions.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay, good. I understand Ariel has a question. Ariel, go ahead.

---

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks Judith. Just to let everyone know that At-Large has a Facebook page that's being actively maintained. So my question is, if you want to do a NARALO Facebook page, can you clarify what kind of purpose you like them to and also what kind of relations to the general At-Large Facebook page.

To my knowledge, I don't know if there's a EURALO Facebook page. I don't know whether other RALOs really do have a Facebook page and then the EURALO one is not really being maintained frequently, I think just one post per three months or some sort. So that's my question, a little loaded, sorry.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you, Ariel. From what I saw, LACRALO has a Facebook page because they're always putting announcements on their page. So that's what gave us the idea about that.

Joly? Joly, you have the floor.

JOLIE MACFIE: I haven't got my hand up. Oh, I shouldn't have. I'm lowering it.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: [Inaudible]. I mean, a Facebook page for its own sake is one thing. Is there a specific purpose in mind? Is there a specific function? Is there a



---

specific target audience? Having a Facebook page for the sake of a Facebook page is all well and nice, but eventually somebody has to administer it, somebody has to give it care and maintenance, and that means that either staff or volunteer time is going to be taken up.

I'd just like to know that, for these person hours to be spent, whether they're going to be volunteer or staff. I'm hoping that there's a better rationale for having a Facebook page than because we want to have a Facebook page. Has this really been thought out about what's going to be done with it? Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thank you, Evan. I think the idea was trying to have outreach to different groups. We want to try to grow NARALO, and Facebook is a way of trying to put out the same information that we're pushing out in another forum in a [inaudible] way.

I guess At-Large has a page. I don't know if anyone uses it. I'm not sure how [its] promotion is. But it is a way of promoting different NARALO activities or promoting different events that different ALSes use. So some ALSes such as ISOC-NY are very active and doing projects and they can be promoting them and it's another avenue to promote NARALO, so people can know what we are. And I think that's basically what we're looking at is an outreach effort.

Evan, is that an old hand or new?

Joly, new hand?

---

JOLY MACFIE:

Yes. What I'd basically do is have it so that the Facebook page [inaudible] updated when I update my notice board which is a Word Press so I use some arcane method – I think it was Yahoo type or something or network blogs – to automatically just upgrade my Facebook page every time.

Since they've changed their algorithms, pages don't do a great deal for you in terms of people... They'd have it so the system is you have to pay for anybody to actually see what you post on them I think. But to have it there just to have an identity is not a bad thing even if it's something that's regularly updated.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Joly. Ariel.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, Judith. Just to clarify what you said about the maintenance of the At-Large Facebook page, from staff side we update at least one post a week and now we have close to 2,500 likes for the Facebook page and the average growth is 20 more likes per week. And then we do post information regarding RALO development, and you can see the one that just got posted today is about the Tribal Ambassadorship Program, the two selectees, and we've already seen at least 500 people have seen this post. And the previous post, we've had thousands of people seeing it, so it's quite effective and now we regularly maintain it.

I'm just wondering, if you do want to have your own NARALO Facebook page, you have to [view] the audience and to reach from the very

---

beginning and will not just take advantage of At-Large Facebook page and coordinate with the Social Media Working Group and also with staff to promote your content. That's my comment.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Ariel, those are great ideas. I guess I was just wondering if we could have a NARALO one and that we could get NARALO specific information from the At-Large page posted on that. So when you post At-Large Facebook page, if you could also post the same information to the NARALO page. Because different [reaches] or something like that... I don't know.

Glenn, did you have any other thoughts? The idea behind this is that when we're doing our brochure, we want to emphasize our Facebook, our Twitter, a generic e-mail address, and so that was our idea of having it is that we're advertising it on the back of the brochure. And I guess we could advertise the At-Large page, but we thought we would try to advertise the NARALO page. That was our idea.

Heidi, you haven't spoken yet.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Judith. Just a couple of points that you may wish to consider before making a decision on this is At-Large represents global end users and that's a strength of At-Large. The concern is if your RALOs begin to increasingly do outreach and engagement and policy only in their regions, then the whole global nature of At-Large will be weakened.

---

As Ariel said, we have an excellent Facebook page. You've seen the link, and staff update that as well as others on the Social Media Group, and during ICANN meetings it's hugely popular.

The second point is the volunteers' time that it would take to maintain such a regional based Facebook page would, in my view, take away from the work that is going to be needed to represent the end user and policy advice development, etc. Those are some things that you might wish to consider. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thank you, Heidi. Evan, did you have another question?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

I just want to support what Heidi just said. Judith, I'd like to ask you what is meant to be on the outreach purposes of a NARALO Facebook page that would not be the exact same things that would be said on the EURALO page, the APRALO page, the LACRALO page, and so on? Is the outreach message any different between the regions rather than that of language? We're all trying to do outreach based on the same thing. Do we not have a massive duplication of effort here when effectively the same thing and saying, "Get involved with At-Large based on where you are," is how you pick your region.

NARALO doing a separate Facebook page from LACRALO, when somebody gets involved, the choice is made for them based on their location of what they can join. So I'm really, really, not sure what the added benefit of having RALO-specific page is rather than having a

---

global page that can be globally agreed on, that can be available on all the languages. So if somebody is coming in in Spanish, whether or not they're going to the Spanish component of NARALO or they're coming to the Spanish component of LACRALO or they're going to the Spanish component of EURALO, why should that matter? Why should we be duplicating effort when we can spend more effort and get a better payback per volunteer hour spent by coordinating things when we're basically all trying to do the same message? Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Evan, thanks so much. We don't have to make a lot of great contributions, we don't have to make any decision now, we just wanted to start putting the seeds in people's mind and what they're thinking [regarding] this when we're redoing the brochure. So we'll just move on.

One thing we did have on in redoing the brochure is we heard from many of you who said that we should have generic e-mail addresses. So there should be [chair@naralo.org](mailto:chair@naralo.org), [secretary@naralo.org](mailto:secretary@naralo.org), instead of names so that because once these names could change every few years or year but the other ones don't, and so I think it was a great idea and I would like to promote that idea and I want to understand why from staff they don't think that's a good idea.

The idea is we would have [chair@naralo.org](mailto:chair@naralo.org) and whoever is the Chair, their personal e-mail address will forward to that e-mail. Same thing with Secretary. That's why my question is to staff, why is that a bad idea?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello, Judith, if I may respond to this question. It's not about something related to that it's not a good idea, this is because of IT policies due to technical protection in place for ICANN domains, and in accordance to the IT Department's policies this cannot be assigned to people other than staff. This is what we have received from our IT Department. That is corporate policy, I want to emphasize. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thank you so much. I guess we'll have to figure that out, where we go from there. Because we noticed that there is one called [info@naralo.org](mailto:info@naralo.org), but we don't know who that goes to. We're waiting for – everyone has taken a look on the website and through e-mail of the samples of the mail card and the brochure. On the agenda there's a direct link to the brochures and the idea for a mail card, so please continue to send in your comments.

Glenn, we also talked about on our idea for Twitter account that Glenn was also thinking about and having a special Twitter account. Later on we missed acknowledging that our new NomCom appointee, Javier, is on the call so we thank him for that. Sorry I did not see that earlier.

Those are some of the issues on, I guess the same question is do we want a NARALO Twitter account? On the back there's an At-Large Twitter and so I guess the same issues will be related to that whether we just have the general At-Large Twitter and not a specific NARALO Twitter account. Please keep sending e-mails about these ideas onto the

---

NARALO discussion page and then we'll keep discussing it because I know a lot of people have a lot of different ideas about this.

So next, in the next few months, there's different outreach activities that are being done. ARIN on the Road is going to be in Waterloo and I know GSC is going to be up there, and I believe there are some others from Canada – I think Glenn and some others – will be there. Glenn, do you want to talk about that? Yes or no? Okay. I'm not sure if he can speak. I will then move on.

Glenn and I have been doing a lot of effort to try to update the membership, try to make sure we get as many engaged members as possible. In that effort we've tried to have a call for new members to try to give different questions and answers to them. We find that from a lot of our talks to different members a lot of the people are not knowledgeable about what... It's very difficult to understand acronyms, what NARALO does, what other people do, and so we were hoping to have a new member's orientation call and the timing hasn't been great so we'll try again to do it. Again, Silvia will send out a new e-mail to other people.

We had to place a couple of ALSes that have not been active onto inactive status, and that's listed there. And we also want to welcome our new unaffiliated members, William who's on the call today, and Christian is another unaffiliated, so we want to welcome them. And then I think we also want to make sure we spend some time – Glenn, can you talk about the NARALO Operating Principles Review that you've been doing and the Rules of Procedure?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. Can you hear me okay, Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. We did a call out to volunteers for the Rules of Procedures. We want to harmonize our rules. We want to make sure they're up-to-date with any changes with the ALS criteria set by ALAC, so we created a page. We're fixing a lot of the order of the existing but we are not making any changes in terms of any rules without community feedback so we'll be calling our first meeting. We have a number of volunteers that have already expressed interest, and in your agenda today you've got the link. So we should be having our first Adobe call pretty soon.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much, Glenn. I know, Eduardo, you always talk about the newsletter. You want to do a quick plug before we move on to the General Assembly?

EDUARDO DIAZ: You want me to say something about the newsletter? I say the same thing as always – send me your news about a week before the end of the month and I will be glad to distribute it through the whole region.



---

And send me feedback on how to improve it if it needs improvement.  
Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you. Glenn, do you want to talk about the General Assembly?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. I believe it is moving along pretty nicely. In the page that we circulated on work in progress, we'd shared our [Trulioo] which is our project management items that are being done and worked on. We've asked the community on a number of occasions on the site as well as the discussion thread on who would like to facilitate a small session and topics for discussion. So we have our location. We're co-habiting with the ARIN session that will be in April in New Orleans. It is going to be an exciting General Assembly.

On the Sunday when you arrive there's an orientation with ARIN and a social on Sunday night. Early Monday morning and Tuesday morning we will have a brief discussion with us as a group huddle, and then you will be able to enjoy the opportunities to learn what ARIN is doing as a North American RAR. And then we'll have the Wednesday for our General Assembly. And I forgot to mention that ISOC is also sponsoring a social on Tuesday night. It should be a great time for all of us to get together and I'm looking forward to it. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much, Glenn. Then we'll do a quick thing on CROPP. We have two CROPP visits coming up. One is [Leah] is going to ARIN in October,

---

and hopefully everything's set. Will you please let us know if you haven't gotten your hotel or flights for that? And Tom, I know you're also wondering about that, so please do let us know. We know Constituency Travel is a bit overloaded because of India, but we still want to make sure that you guys are able to get to the events that you were agreed on.

We also have one more open slot for an event, [someone] can choose before the CROPP program ends in June. And to go onto CROPP, you need eight weeks in advance. Before that happens, we also discuss it, send your ideas to Glenn and I and then we can mention it at a meeting and get regional approval and then we can put it forward for the CROPP Team, and that requires eight weeks. So if you have any ideas for programs you want to go to, we have still one open slot.

I wanted to turn over to Eduardo to talk about NomCom, as he was in the process of selecting them. So Eduardo, you're going to come on and you can also introduce Javier.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, thank you. The announcement happened at the end of August, so we've already saw what the people that were selected from NomCom 2016. This NomCom 2016, some of us are going into the NomCom 2017 so we're going to be around in India. NomCom 2016 is going to meet during the meeting, and at the end we're going to meet the new NomCom 2017 will start working after that meeting.

One of the people that we selected for ALAC was from here, from Puerto Rico so I think, Javier, if you want to say something please do so,

---

so you can introduce yourself. And that's all I have to say about NomCom [activities].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thank you so much. We are now moving on to one of our favorite part of the time is we get to showcase, we get to hear about what our new ALSes are doing. And we have Lynden Price on the line, and he is one of our newer ALSes. I know, John, you're a new one but you'll be scheduled another time. First, we're scheduling Lynden Price to talk about ISOC North Carolina, [introduce] them, and tell us a little bit about them. Lynden?

LYNDEN PRICE:

Sure. Thanks a lot. This is Lynden Price, as mentioned. I'm the President of the Internet Society Chapter in North Carolina. We're located in the RTP, so I'm in Raleigh, North Carolina. We were formed basically in February. That's when all of our paperwork went through, so we became an official Chapter. Since then, we've done a couple of events. We attended the NC Tech4Good Conference back in May and we had a good presence there. We had a table, picked up a bunch of new members. That kind of branched off and we ended up with a contact at Google with part of the new Google fiber project happening here in the RTP area so we'll be getting involved with them once they get their community outreach program up and running sometime next year.

We'll also be doing the intercommunity event on the 21<sup>st</sup> of September with the Internet Society as a viewing node. We did a presentation at

---

UNC TV – that’s University of North Carolina Television – where we discussed Internet access.

So that’s what we’ve been doing so far, and in the pipeline we have a couple of different ideas. You can read about them on our website and we’re working on getting that updated as well. So we’re juggling a couple of different things and we’re looking forward to seeing what we can do with NARALO and how we can participate and help out. It’s nice to meet everyone.

JOLY MACFIE:

I’ve got my hand up so I’ll start talking. Congrats on having the Chapter down in North Carolina. At a recent Legal Hackers Summit there I met the guys from Code for America in your region, and they were very active and I told them about your Chapter and I hope they’ve been in touch. Did you meet up with them?

LYNDEN PRICE:

They have. They actually have. That’s some of the stuff that we’re looking forward to. A couple of other organizations have invited us as well and we’re still working up the details. But yeah, definitely. Thank you very much for that.

JOLY MACFIE:

Very good.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTIEN: Thanks so much. We neglected to give any time before we went for the showcase which was excellent, to have some words from our new NomCom appointee Javier. And so I want to give the floor to him now.

Javier? I guess maybe Javier's not around right now.

TERRI AGNEW: Javier, I do see your mic is unmuted. If you could please check your microphone on your side so we can hear you? Javier, if needed I'm also going to send you a private Adobe Connect chat. On your bottom toolbar underneath where the chapter being held, you'll see a private chat from me. You can provide me a telephone number. I'd be happy to have the operator dial out too as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, so while we wait for Javier, we'll just go to Alan to review the current ALAC public consultations. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, I wasn't at my desk and didn't realize I was being called upon. I am back now. Actually, if Ariel's on the line, she's more up-to-date than I am to exactly the status of most of these items. Perhaps Ariel can do that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, thank you. Ariel?

---

ARIEL LIANG:

Sure. I'll just quickly run through the public comments. The one that is in progress is actually the gTLD Marketplace Health Index. The final draft was submitted on Friday the past week and the ALAC is in progress of ratifying the statement.

And then we also have on the IANA IPR Agreements and the other on the IANA Naming Function Agreements, and Alan Greenberg drafted two brief statements on these two public comments and the ALAC is conducting a consensus call on these two.

And then the one that's recently adopted, so I just want to quickly draw your attention to this document is the At-Large Community Policy Issues: Why End Users Should Care. This document was originally a request from Rinalia Abdul Rahim, the Board Director selected by At-Large, and liked to have a document that describes what are the key issues At-Large cares about and they are relevant to end users.

So At-Large staff in coordination with the ALAC Leadership Team developed the draft on this document and the document walks through the issues in bullet point form. That went through several rounds of iteration and the latest one was approved by the ALAC and delivered to Rinalia last week. So you can download the latest version on the wiki workspace that I just posted in the chat.

And then the last one that still needs some development is not related to public comment that is the [inaudible] Request from the Subsequent Procedures on new gTLDs PDP Working Group. So Alan is in progress drafting a statement [or] response and soon he will deliver that to the PDP Working Group.

---

These are the current ones that are related to public comment [or] is just a policy document in general.

Sorry, one last document I want to draw your attention to is actually drafted by Garth Bruen on creating a consumer agenda at ICANN. This is not related to public comments, but is something really keen over a large community and in fact there was a briefing held recently on this draft proposal and the goal is to have this proposal finalized and presented in ICANN 57 in Hyderabad. And you can view the first draft on the wiki workspace and I just posted to the AC room.

I think that's pretty much all, and thanks Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Great. Thanks so much. I will go right in a minute to Javier, but John brought up an issue about the IANA transition, and it was also something that I had gotten from Chris Mondini and others. They are looking if anyone wants to call their Representative or Senators about that they support it and why, that would always be great. I'm sure everyone would appreciate it. Or you can post on social media why you approve it. Anything that is supportive is always very helpful. So that is good.

I just wanted to give the floor to Javier now that he's online so that he could give a little introduction and talk about himself. Javier?

JAVIER RUA-JOVET:

Hi to all. I'm the, as you saw, the new ALAC nominee from NomCom. I live in Puerto Rico. I am the Chair of Puerto Rico's Telecom Consumer

---

Protection Agency. We have a telecom agency down here that it's a government agency that protects telecom consumers and on other functions. I've been in that side of the game for a while.

So, hello to all. I guess I'll see most of you hopefully in India in Hyderabad, and we'll get to know each other better. I'm, of course, just learning the ropes now and seeing what you guys are doing. It looks thorough and it looks very, very, interesting. So this is me, and we'll just get to know each other better.

Hi to all again. That's it for now I guess.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Javier, and we look forward to meeting you in person. Before we get to Any Other Business, I wanted to see if we rushed by too many other topics and devote a few minutes so that people who didn't get a chance to say something might want to. That's what I want to make sure that people did.

Nick, Tim, did you want to say anything else about you post in the chat?  
No, okay.

TIM MCGINNIS:

I just wanted to say that Nick wanted me to stress – I believe he's on the call still – that this is your opportunity, this review and survey, to voice your opinion on issues that matter to you privately and [anonymously]. I've just given a private e-mail address in case there are issues that are not covered by the survey that you'd like to discuss.



---

I apologize but I do need to drop off just now. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great. Thanks so much, Tim. Anyone else have anything they wanted to add? Joly, you want to put the posting of the civil society letter that ISOC New York is doing?

JOLY MACFIE: This is a general thing that came, I think it came out of the NCSG, and we already put it around our Chapter last week and now Mark Buell who's the North America Regional Manager of Internet Society has asked if we'd like to sign it and I've had no objections and so I'd said yes. So [I do believe] that's going to happen later today.

Let me point out that Kathy Brown wrote a thing on the [Hill] where she wrote a blog and Andrew Sullivan, the Head of IAG, has also written a blog, written a statement, so there are various statements which personally I'm just gathering together to make a blog on our website about the issues generally. So that's all I can really say. I'll see if I can find a link to that civil society thing online. I always had it in the [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great, thanks. And yes, Eve, there is a transcript of the call. That will take a little bit longer to come, but the Adobe chat box will be available immediately after the call. But then that's what it is.

Alan, I wanted to go to you because you next have your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. I just wanted to call attention to the comment I made in the chat earlier and Eduardo's response. The newsletter Eduardo's been doing has been exceedingly well-received, but he did commit to do this for a limited time and if it's going to continue, we will need a volunteer to replace him and it would obviously be advisable if that person volunteers before Eduardo stops so that there can be some overlap and a transfer of knowledge and experience. So we are looking for a volunteer for that if we think it's important enough to continue. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much. Joly, could you post in the chat the form letter for Congress that they are talking about, as some people have not –

JOLY MACFIE: I'll forward it to the [inaudible] list because I know I have it as an attachment.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great. That would be great. That way other people could have it.

Okay, so we want to do Any Other Business. Anyone else have anything to say that we didn't get a chance to talk about?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I just noticed that William Cunningham in the chat asked is there any place that people could ask questions about the transition if they have them. I don't think there's any formal place that NARALO has. I don't know about ICANN, but certainly there's plenty of people in our community who have been very active in the process and just a comment on the NARALO list if nothing else is a good a place as any or point to point contact with the people who have been active.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great. And the newsletter is also a good place. Any place is good to have that where that is. He was thinking about NARALO-specific and no, I don't think we have one but there's the IANA list, there's [inaudible] list.

ALAN GREENBERG: Certainly the NARALO discussion list is as good a place as any.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. If you have any questions, post it on the NARALO discussion list and there are a lot of people who've spent thousands of hours on this who are NARALO members who would be happy to give you some pointers on where to follow up on some ideas.

All these are great questions. We still have a few minutes left so if there's anything anyone else wants to say, we would be happy to have that. We raced through the beginning of the agenda because we had a lot to say, but now that we have some time we can welcome to have any other questions.

---

The IANA hearing, is it this week or next week?

JOLY MACFIE: This week.

JUDITH HELLERSTIEN: This week, okay.

JOLY MACFIE: This is something that should be done tomorrow. What has also been said, and I might find other info and forward it, is a letter is one thing but in fact telephoning is also jamming the switchboard is also something that apparently does work. [Like if somebody ignored] and their phones don't work and they pay attention.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Anyone else have anything to say in the last minute? Otherwise, we will end the call one minute early unless we have anything else.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just a quick question. I saw in the chat that William had asked about the ALSes who are going to the General Assembly, and I don't believe that was responded to.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN; Sorry, I didn't see that. I'll be happy to explain it or you can explain it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just very quickly, thank you. Currently the budget has the funds for 29 At-Large Structure representatives and one person from the unaffiliated. And since Alan is the Chair of Unaffiliated and also an ALAC member and also the Chair of ALAC, I would assume it would be him that is being funded in the unaffiliated slot. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN; Then also the ALSes who are non-active status do not get to go to a General Assembly unless they have gone out of inactive status. Can you explain that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, there are a few ALSes that are not as active as is expected, so there are some warning letters that are out. But then they have some time to become more active. So hopefully by that time in April that will have been taken care of. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So if they don't become more active, then they are not able to go to the General Assembly. So that's why we want to make sure that everyone active and what we are describing as active is coming to the meetings, contributing on the NA discuss list, joining working groups, contributing to working groups, taking action in NARALO, and trying to make it better than it is now. And that's what we consider active. So one who just doesn't do anything, we would like to get them and figure out why

---

they're not doing something. And so that's sort of what we were looking at.

I know we've now passed the top of the hour, so thanks everyone for coming.

Glenn, are we having a next month? We're having an October meeting, right, at the normal time? I think so. We'll send out information about that if it's changed.

Thanks, everyone, for coming. It was very active. I'm glad to see all of you here. Thanks so much.

TERRI AGNEW:

Once again, the meeting has been adjourned. Thank you very much for joining. Please remember to disconnect all remaining lines and have a wonderful rest of your day.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**