
SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, if all of us are here so probably let's start.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Do you want a roll call?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay.

GISELLA GRUBER: Wonderful. We'll do that.

Welcome to the APRALO ICANN 57 prep call – which is the title I gave it this morning – on the 2nd of August at 06:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Siranush Vardanyan, Ali AlMeshal, Maureen Hilyard, Amir Qayyum, Kaili Kan, Satish Babu, and Holly Raiche. From staff, Silvia Vivanco, Yesim Nazlar, and myself, Gisella Gruber. I hope I haven't left anyone off the roll call. And if you could please just remember to state your names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, and over to you, Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much, Gisella. And thanks to you, Silvia and Yesim, to be with us. This is a prep call for Hyderabad and there is a lot of work ahead of us to do. But I have seen Satish posted some activities already in the [space] and I'll give over to him the call, the phone to talk.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

So at this point, we are preparing four main activities. The first one is Showcase – networking Showcase event. So we have decided altogether so that we will be organizing the Showcase but a little bit different than usual one. And we probably will give the highlight of Indian ALSes to present themselves and to run the Showcase. We have talked already with Satish to discuss with local ALSes who is ready to do that and what kind of probably three/four-minute speech from a couple of ALSes there to highlight the diversity in India and the activities of ALSes connected to ICANN.

This is one of the plans for this networking Showcase event. And of course we are going to have some cocktails, some food there. We probably will need staff support here to identify for how many people there are going to be there. Probably the experience shows that we had some [plates] for 100 people and some beer, wine, for 60 people. So if we can have some calculations from the staff to help us to identify how much it can be, the cost, we can go to our usual sponsors like DotAsia and APNIC, APTLD to ask for some support. Maureen also will talk about the DotAsia Board meetings which they recently had, and she will provide some details on that.

So this will be the [show's] initial [expense]. Satish, do you have any update on these, [how shall I say?], ALSes or not yet?

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Siranush. Okay. The thing is, this is a very important [activity] for us, and the main constraint at this point that we have is ensuring that all the ALSes participate. Now there are two [aspects] to this. One

is that most of the ALSes have been dormant for some time, so there is a need to wake them up kind of. But the more serious problem is that, unless there is some funding for the travel, they will not be able to join because Hyderabad is not the home of any of our ALSes and all of them will have to travel to reach Hyderabad and the accommodation for the seven or eight days is also going to be pretty expensive.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Satish, I am sorry – just clarification. You [thought] that there was a proposal for those people to the government of [India] and they agreed to fund their participation. This is for summer school or for ICANN meetings?

SATISH BABU: I am coming to that. This proposal is only for our ICANN meeting. For now, this is the reason why we presented a proposal to the government of India asking for support for accommodation and travel for two people per ALS, that's about 12 people for 6 ALSes. As of now, the government has not got back to us with any yes or no kind of an answer, and that means we have to follow up – I will of course, I am already following up – but we had actually decided that we will write a letter to the government and I think the main point in that letter [is for] support. Because only [if we can reach] Hyderabad can we have a meeting or a Showcase.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: So in the action item, can we put Silvia to follow up with Göran. We have talked about this and Göran agreed that the letter will come from APAC Hub to support, so the letter should go to the government of India to support our proposal to fund two reps per each ALS. Did I get it right, Satish? Out of six ALSes we'll have there? For accommodation and for the travel to Hyderabad. Is that the point, Satish?

SATISH BABU: There is nothing on that. I have spoken to Göran when I met him in [inaudible], and he feels that he should not be writing the letter because that then becomes an ICANN official letter to the government of India because [that will be] all kinds of international ramifications. He wants APRALO to write to the government of India, and he doesn't want to get involved in the request from the community to the government. He feels it should be the community requesting the government directly because the support we're asking is for the community members to participate in ICANN meetings.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: So Göran now feels that APRALO should send this letter or it should go on behalf of APRALO?

SATISH BABU: He feels that APRALO should write the letter and not ICANN itself. Which is okay. It's not a problem for us. [Inaudible] draft a letter for you. Now [what to use] as a kind of letterhead? I don't know if each RALO has some kind of letterhead on which we can print this letter.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Silvia, we do have a letterhead. Can you send this to Satish? Because he has the drafted letter already, so he can put this on the letterhead and I will put my electronic signature. Actually, I will send my electronic signature to Satish put on that letter.

SATISH BABU: Or if it is better that if staff do the whole thing, that's also fine. I can draft the letter and if Siranush can pass the letter to staff, Silvia, that's also fine with me. Whichever is easiest for us. I will draft the letter today and send it to [all of us] so that people can take a look. And the main point there will be that first to thank the government of India for their support for the [inaudible] totally different kind of a thing, but we should thank them. Then requesting financial support for the 12 people to attend ICANN meeting and [I mean] travel and [stay]. So I think now we have to follow up a little faster so that this can come [through]. So that is the main [thing that we have to do].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Satish, please wait. There are discussions on this point. Let's first finalize. I agree with Maureen here that the regional organization to send the letter directly to government of India for an ICANN activity, I agree that this may not be properly [inaudible]. So any suggestions on this point? I see hands. Holly, please go.

HOLLY RAICHE: I guess we've got a few concerns here. The first thing that was said, what about APAC as a body other than just APRALO, so it's seen as Asia Pacific generally? I don't know, but that's just a suggestion so that it doesn't look like it's just ...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: That was our suggestion to Göran when we discussed there that the letter would be good if it comes from APAC Hub as an ICANN entity in Asia Pacific.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, so he's not going to do this?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: No. He said it's better it goes on behalf of APRALO.

HOLLY RAICHE: Then I think the next step has to be maybe we get support from our – I'm thinking aloud here – but if it's just APRALO, I'm not convinced the government of India is going to be convinced. I think it would be much better if we had APRALO [together with] people who signed our MoU or something. Because otherwise I'm not sure that we're going to get the money.

And my other suggestion is that, in asking for support, give them alternatives. One person from each, two people from each, with costings. And then I think we have to be pretty detailed about the

benefits for India, and I think we've got to work on that text. It's got to be done very quickly. But my first question is why should India support this? And I think we have to come up with a really good answer, otherwise we're not going to get the money.

So it would be nice if we could have support so it's not just Asia Pacific. So maybe we can get support from, I don't know, [Don], from [Paul Wilson], from whomever. So it's looks a little bit [inaudible] [APRALO] because [inaudible] my first inclination is I'm not sure even [if they're going to look at the] letter let alone respond with money.

So my other suggestion is that we do two sets of planning. One [would be] for at least some of the ALSes to be there, and then if we're going to have a Showcase, we're going to have to have a Plan B here in case we don't get enough money. Those are my two thoughts immediately. And, Kaili, absolutely do we want ISC to do anything?

[KAILI KAN]:

Of course we do.

HOLLY RAICHE:

And I think that's true. I think we're going to have to have a Showcase that goes beyond India so that in fact there's something to say. And my first suggestion, we did this many ICANN meetings ago, but when we had a General Assembly what we did was every ALS had a little table. Now, if we have even in the APRALO, we've got enough members, so we ought to be able to have even just the minimum each ALS has its own little table with discussion about who they are or something as a

backstop. I'm concerned that we're talking about the vendor here but we have to get visas in place, we've got to get travel in place, we've got to do everything. We've all got to start planning, and I think we need a Plan B. Okay, thanks.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: If I'm hearing you correctly, Holly, you are suggesting [you think] that the letter would be good if it goes not only on behalf of APRALO but maybe from staff can we ask if we draft a letter, can it go on behalf of At-Large?

HOLLY RAICHE: Maybe think about it, but I'm just thinking even saying to APNIC and APTLD on a little letter saying we look forward to having this many ALSes there or something, that they [inaudible].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Do you think we need to ask APNIC or APTLD to support [with one] ALSes to participate?

HOLLY RAICHE: Why not?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: For seven days for ICANN meeting? [I don't think why they should].

HOLLY RAICHE: I'm just tossing it in. But if we've already gone to ask them for money for the Showcase, I think we need to say, "Well this is what we're going to do with the Showcase." Now DotAsia usually comes to the party with a fair bit of money just [inaudible]. Don't they?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Normally, yes. In the past, we had if I remember well DotAsia, APNIC, and APTLD, the three of them they supported at least partially some of the activities. So what I was going to suggest, Siranush, is to start and see who is coming to the party so if maybe you can query the ALSes and ask them if they are planning to go on their own so there is a head count. Basically we need a head count.

Normally the Showcases we've had in the peak hours 150, even 200, people, and this is going to be a large meeting with about 4,000 participants. So I think we could have even 200. We could start with a head count in our Showcase of [inaudible] we always do a little bit less, so 125 and start with a quote. But basically we need a list of people that are willing to go on their own, and then based on the expenses we can see what additional funding is required.

And about the letter, Siranush, of course we can give you all the support. I think coming from the APRALO letterhead is going to be good. I don't think there is, at least from our point of view, a concern about saying APRALO member of the At-Large community, which is one of the five RALOs members of ICANN. That's not a problem. But I understand the concern from APAC Hub that formally or legally it's not ICANN

soliciting the support, but it's the RALO soliciting the support. So I think that's why Göran was not able to offer to sign the letter.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Silvia. Let's try on behalf of APRALO then. Let's go with this, and let's see if government will support us or not. So let's move from that point and let's ask Satish to draft a letter. Silvia send the letterhead. And we'll send it out. Satish will discuss what will work best for us, and then send it to Indian government and we'll see if that will work.

[SATISH BABU]: Yes, that's fine.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, Maureen. Maureen please.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I had some concerns about approaching the government, but [in] the discussions we've just had I think we've got to give it a go. But at the same time, I think it's really important [inaudible] the government or even APNIC and APTLD and DotAsia have got to see a plan. They've got to see what it is that we're proposing to do and how much each of those things is going to cost.

Then we've got to ask them first of all to find out how much [they'd be willing to give]. I mean, I know for a fact that these guys like [in] DotAsia

is already sponsoring getting the whole NetMission group to Hyderabad as well as their program, and that's quite a major input. So we have to balance out with what we want with what it is that they're actually already providing ICANN for this event. And [it's similar] with APTLD and APNIC sponsoring various other activities.

So we have to really, as you say, we've got to actually give a proper plan of what we want to do and the benefit for each of the stakeholder groups that are actually so that we're providing that for. This is [an event that's] supposed to be showcasing ICANN, so I think the fact that we're actually doing all this on their behalf should mean that ICANN should be supporting us in some way. So I hope they don't mind that we're going to be asking on behalf of ICANN for these funds.

But Satish, I guess we'll leave it in your court. If it seems that it's appropriate for us to make this application, I think that's great. But I do know that from a business perspective, because we're actually asking businesses to make the contributions, that we've got to show that we're totally organized with any money that we get, we're going to be using it appropriately, and we want to really impress on them the advantages that it will have for our region and for ICANN as overall. Thanks. Sorry. Did I say it was [more than two things]? Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Maureen. Ali and then Satish.

ALI ALMESHAL:

I totally agree with Maureen, and I think that deciding on the location of the meeting where it's ICANN is doing and allocating it in any of the regions, there should be a budget because that's part of the ICANN overall for getting the ALSes or the community that they are involved in the Internet industry to be a part of that.

So as a RALO, we are responsible for a part of doing this type of Showcase or other event where all of the parties that we are having a sort of an agreement or an MoU, then we'll do a bit of support to that. But getting people on board for travel and accommodations from different areas like within India itself, I don't think as a RALO we'd be able to handle that even if we draft a letter to the government of India where I strongly believe that this role should be taken by ICANN itself, even not to ask the government of India while ICANN have decided to [move to] that so they have [inaudible] to that part of the world to do more of outreach or involvement to the community there. So our budget should be allocated for that. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you, Ali. Honestly, I am with you on that point, and I know that we probably may not have time to do too much or too many things there, but there will be the Outreach and Engagement Team which will be having some meetings with NextGen, Fellows, and I hope supposingly NGOs to come. But this is also the local NGOs. But this is also another point. The local NGOs also should get funding to come there. How we are going to handle this? Satish, please.

SATISH BABU:

Yes. A couple of observations. The first is that I was [inaudible] that ICANN has no budget for this. This is something that we discussed in Helsinki, and I'm somewhat surprised that we are going back to this point. If ICANN has the budget, that will be the best option. No doubt about that. But I am not sure if it is an option to open this up at this point. We have [the little time]. And if we are generally confident that ICANN is going to be forthcoming with funds, we can go through this. But I will [have to leave the closed chapter] which is why we are going to all this trouble with the government. That's the first point. So if ICANN has the funding for it – I'm talking about travel, not to [go to the Showcase event] – I'm talking about moving 12 people to Hyderabad.

The second point is that I do not see, as Silvia mentioned, any problem in the community writing to the government. I think that the India community should be [committed] to participate in the meeting. And it would have been nice if Göran could write, but he has valid reasons. He said it would become a very official request. In any case, ICANN is being funded by [government of India] for [the whole event] but the community [inaudible]. The community can always write to the government and the government can also say no. That is the other part, which is fine. So I still feel that there is no problem in Siranush writing this letter to the government and let us see how [it works out].

So if I'm right, if ICANN has funds, then we'll go for that. Let us forget about the [government]. If not, I will be all for Siranush to write a letter then following it up and seeing where it takes us.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Satish, if I may respond, Siranush?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, Silvia. Please.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. So regarding the funds, as I mentioned earlier in the chat, we have \$1,200 allocated for this activity. Unfortunately, because of the change of location – it was quite late honestly – the budget was already earmarked, and so it's not possible unfortunately to allocate additional funds for the APRALO Activities. So I want to make that clear. This is mainly because, of course, if we had known a year before, we would have sent all of the requests and finance, but at this stage all the budget is already organized and the funds are allocated to determined activities.

So apologies about that, but we have the \$1,200, and then as usual the suggestion would be to get funds from the partners, from APTLD or APNIC or DotAsia, and try to do something with that funding.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: So just for us to know, APRALO [inaudible] just for this year we have only \$1,200 from ICANN. Whatever we [would want] to do out of that, we should [do] for [getting that account]. This is [as usual, and we know this may happen]. We also may go out of India [focus] as Holly said and to put also China [inaudible] there and to invite as Kaili mentioned, [inaudible] to sponsor some of that and we may not ask them for China

[inaudible] here but we may want to ask to support APRALO Showcase event.

So the potential sponsors for us can be DotAsia, [inaudible]. I'm not sure if APTLD and APNIC can give money [in cash]. They may bring some gifts to participants, but I'm not sure if they can give the actual cash for that.

Satish, go ahead.

SATISH BABU:

A comment regarding that. First of all, I think that this is a long meeting so we may want to ask, as someone [has said] in the chat, consider multiple evening programs. That's one. Secondly, the Showcase is traditionally hosted by the host country. I think we should first try for that. There could be some possibilities of local hosting, which I am trying to explore. But for that we will [need] a budget and we may at least get some part hosting by some of the local agencies here. We can try that out.

And definitely we have the room for multiple evening cultural or other kind of social events. So we [might] I think China, whatever, China night or a China sponsored program is actually welcome. So that is a few. How many evenings are we supposed to fill up? And then we can find out what are the different options possible.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Silvia, do we have any [informing]?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. It's a long meeting, but also remember that there are other activities that the participants may want to go and join. So it's not only that APRALO has to have all the nights organized. No. I think that one or two evening activities would be okay. We have the meeting. It's a long meeting, as he said, we have seven days. But I think that there are other cocktails and evening events that may be of interest for the At-Large community. So for a couple of nights you can plan some activities. That will be enough in my opinion.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Silvia, a couple of nights sounds really very challenging [so that maybe we can network].

SILVIA VIVANCO: But if not, you could have [inaudible].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: But probably for our APRALO Showcase can be planned properly and together with this there will be some capacity building activities, but we really cannot ask all our sponsors to pay for each evening. I don't know, maybe DotAsia with NetMission can organize some events. ISC can do some separate ones. But we are now focusing on such a APRALO Showcase.

SILVIA VIVANCO: That's right. I was just addressing [the] concern that maybe we need to do more in the evenings, but Kaili mentioned that he may explore with ISC to have another evening like a China night.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: That's what I was telling about that maybe they may do on their own the China night, but we may ask them for support to Showcase. We cannot go and ask them to organize China night and also sponsor our Showcase. I don't think this is proper.

SILVIA VIVANCO: And I'm [reading] now Kaili.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: And Kaili put here that he's not sure about donations, so [inaudible] China Domestic Accounting Regulations. But [inaudible] that Kaili can check if there is any opportunity for supporting. Ali, please. Ali, you have the floor. Okay, I think we lost Ali.

[HOLLY RAICHE]: He's got his hand up.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, Satish, please.

SATISH BABU:

So can we then plan for the Showcase as a one evening program with \$1,200 from ICANN and possibly additional funds from DotAsia or APNIC as a [middle] event. And if there is a second day that we have to take care of, then staff can inform us. The first day, there are also possibilities [inaudible]. We have to know how many people elected to attend so that we can have a proper budget. Is it 100 or is it 200 or is it [open season] where number of people may walk in? Because it's a 2,000 people kind of a conference, a really large conference, and we need to have some control over the numbers of people who might [land up] for our event. So it will have to be done by invitation or some such thing. Otherwise, if we have too many people, it will be a last-minute problem. So that we have to plan ahead. So what I'm feeling is one night of [inaudible] plus dinner or whatever, cocktails not [inaudible] in India, but okay. Even that we can consider. So one night is a fairly significant kind of a thing, and the second night if there is a requirement, maybe staff can tell us.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Okay, I see there in the chat that Maureen posted that partners should know what they are paying for. I agree. That's why probably we will be drafting two budgets, which we have already put there that one for Showcase. [We'll put exactly] the first point in action item is that Gisella will get the numbers from Meeting C, and we will find out how much actually we can [have]. I think that we can plan maximum for 150 probably. We cannot pay for 2,000 people to come and just have a drink there, but we can focus on 150 and see how much it will get for food and drink and then go out of that budget to send it to DotAsia to APNIC

and APTLD and to see if they can fund some of them or all of them. I don't know.

Yes, we are expecting more than 4,000 participants, but we cannot cover all of them. So 150 will be, yes, our [focus] planning 150. Four thousand? Oh, my God!

Holly? Please go.

HOLLY RAICHE: Can we be really clear here?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Ali, are you back? I'm sorry, Holly. So, no. Holly, please.

HOLLY RAICHE: Can we just plan for two things? And then if a China night is possible, that can be something separate. But we are all volunteers. We don't have a lot of time. We don't necessarily have a lot of money. So can we concentrate on doing a couple of things well?

The first thing is, we've got a Showcase night. Satish can arrange a cultural event. And we need to find out from Satish how much that will cost, if anything. So we have to have a budget for that evening, which will be a combination of event and whatever drinks and so forth. And so that will probably be the \$1,200 from ICANN plus a bit of DotAsia.

The second thing we're looking for is where do we get travel money for the Indian ALSes? Now those are the two things we've got to settle soon.

The China night – if we start planning for three nights, we run the risk of not doing anything. I'm not ruling it out, but let's sort out at least the first two budgets and see if we can actually get some Indian ALSes there, was the second thing, and then we can concentrate. I'm just worried that we're not focused as we should be and we don't have a lot of time.

So let's plan the first night and see how many Indian ALSes we can get. And then if Kaili can organize on his own a China night, we can probably do it, but in cooperation with other events, too. So I guess that's where I'm really concerned that we're not focusing on the things we should be. Or we're getting a little – we're talking about three different things, so let's talk about two things. And now Ali's back.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Okay, great. I agree with Holly that we can keep two separate events. So we can plan one showcase with the evening cultural something, which Satish is going to identify what and how much. Gisella is going to [inaudible] for 100 people maximum. And based on this, we will have the budget prepared for that and [try] to ask other people to help us. And we can have the China night, and probably Kaili should have discussion with ISC to see if they like this or they would like to do something or no.

Ali, and then Kaili.

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes, thanks, Siranush. Actually, maybe when I raised my hand I was about to speak about these two points which is, again, maybe we need just to have a table so we clearly know what time we are doing what and who is paying for that – so to have a clear picture about like the Showcase, about the nights like the Chinese night or whatever night, and we want to have something clear. We want to know which date we are doing what and who is [responsible] for that and what is the budget for that so we clearly then decide on that. Like when Silvia says that there are a number of other activities like cocktails, receptions, and whatsoever, so we need to have that in front of us and based on that we can then take a decision on direction.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I completely agree, and probably we'll put here in the action item that staff will send us some [prep] timeframe or timetable of the activities which ICANN actually is organizing, and together with this we will start to fill in the budget for Showcase. And then we go from that.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I'm going to say "when available" because at the moment we don't have [visibility] of any other activities. We know as the preparations start, then we will see some other activities, but "when available," not yet. At the moment, Gisella is telling me won't have [visibility] of any cocktail or activity.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. This is [clear].

SILVIA VIVANCO: A couple of weeks we can probably know more.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. At least we can start budgeting the Showcase as much as we think that we can do, and then whenever the ICANN agenda will be ready, we can start thinking about other details. And yes, Satish will come up from cultural point of view the prices for that, and Gisella will have [inaudible].

Kaili? You wanted to talk, sorry.

KAILI KAN: Thank you, Siranush. I just wanted to say that I just [typed in]. That is, I haven't asked ISC yet, however, I believe there wouldn't be any problem if we want them to introduce [to whatever] as an ALS of our APRALO how they work to protect our consumers' interests. I think that is almost sure they will be gladly do that.

Of the China night, I'm not sure. I don't know what would be the format that we want. Would that be like a dinner party or a reception gathering or what do we want? And then I can certainly ask them. Of course, I agree with Ali that we need to check the dates because we are sure that there will be other [outreach] activities over there.

So that for the donations, I don't think that it's very likely because ISC asks for donations, they don't give donations to others because themselves they are a non-profit. So that is something I – but I can certainly ask.

So anyway, so basically after this meeting I would like to know what I need to do, what I need to ask ISC, and then that's all. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Kaili, thank you. I know that we now are in a very difficult position, that without knowing anything, any data, any details, we cannot plan properly, but my suggestion here would be let's [pass from] something. At this point we probably – and I'm sure we will have another call by the end of August or beginning of September when there is some clarity for ICANN activities there. Before that, I think that we need to go for the planning for the Showcase budget as I said coming from Satish for cultural stuff and Gisella for 100 people, there to see how much we need actually for that. Together with this, we will [talk later plan] if we want to do some [takeaways] or something which is in addition already.

Also, Kaili can talk to China for ISC if they are planning to do anything at all. Maybe they want in their minds to do something already. I'm not sure. But just to clarify what I we would like to do there or what [inaudible] is ready to do there.

And then probably we'll come back again to see where we are and what to do next. We need to plan with [inaudible] to write a letter to Indian government to see if they can fund ALSes to come. So if Indian

government says no, Indian ALSes will not be there so there is no need to showcase Indian ALSes there. So all is connected here.

KAILI KAN: Excuse me, I don't know. I am not aware of ISC offering a training program. [Inaudible] what I'd like to ask them to offer some training programs, or I misunderstood?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: No, not a training program. There will be outreach I think somehow connected to [inaudible] with Outreach and [sub] committee, but just to clarify with ISC if they would like to do something in India during the ICANN meeting. We don't know. They probably may say no. We just can [ask them help for your Showcase and nothing else]. You can tell them, Kaili, that "We are planning to have a Showcase. Would you like to [offer] some support for the Showcase, or you would like to do something on your own?" Just to find out.

KAILI KAN: Okay, well after the meeting we will please make it clear and I will certainly ask. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. And, Satish, there was a question related to local ALSes. Is there anything on that part? I know that there was an issue for funding. So any, I don't know, any [inaudible] on that aspect?

SATISH BABU: So okay, you're asking about what the ALSes can do for the Showcase event. Once the funding is through, then we can ask the question to the ALSes internally. I think they might be willing to make some five-minute presentations on each of them [just for] our community because we are part of the APRALO community. And we don't want it to be very long, but maybe a five-minute presentation from each ALS, their achievements and all that. That we can do. And as somebody mentioned earlier, we are not sure how many APRALO ALSes are participating from outside India who are coming on their own. If we [inaudible].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: We are not sure for now yet. We don't know.

SATISH BABU: Like ISC for example [inaudible].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: There are some people coming through Fellowship, but we are not sure about the exact number of ALSes. We may [inaudible] monthly call.

SATISH BABU: [Inaudible]. Okay. So I think once we get the funding, we are in a stronger position to ask for what they can do. We can sound them out

right now, but it may be a little bit weak because not all of them may be able to participate.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: [Inaudible] answering to your question, “Are you planning to invite local NGOs?” That’s what we are talking now. Satish is trying to identify local NGOs who can come. With Capacity Building Team in ICANN – I mean Tijani, Cheryl, and [others] – we can do some prep work for them. But we need to identify those NGOs and how they can get funding to come. Or maybe some of them can come on their own. Satish, is there any possibility to find out more information for that?

SATISH BABU: Yes. Now that is a most complicated question because they are not our ALSes, they are [inaudible] operating in this domain. One issue that I was thinking about is coordinating with other parts of ICANN who are also going to do the same thing. Like for example in [QC] we will be working with local [reviewers] and I don’t know the other working groups which of them are going to do this. I have mentioned [inaudible] in front of [this] outreach event we would like to coordinate with other parts of ICANN in dealing with this [inaudible] because it is a potentially sensitive kind of an area, and we can do it as one instead of [inaudible] going our way and [inaudible] going their way and so on. So if the staff can help us with any plans that other parts of ICANN have to what [we can do], we can join hands and we can have an APRALO session with them as a part of a larger plan. That is what I was thinking. But I am open to any other suggestions also.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. We have this in action item that whenever available, [staff] will provide us with the information what ICANN do with other activities. So we'll find out this later. Maureen?

ALI ALMESHAL: Siranush, Sorry if I interrupt because...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, Ali?

ALI ALMESHAL: Sorry, today we are having a meeting for the Outreach and Engagement, and I think one of the item agenda on that will be Hyderabad I believe and what will be done there. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: So yes, we can have some more details from Outreach subcommittee, because I know there are plans to have different meetings and our Capacity Building activities of local NGOs and also the Tribal Ambassadorship which NARALO is announcing can be joined so all of these people can be participating in those events [which] Outreach and Capacity [subcommittee].

[section inaudible]

HOLLY RAICHE:

Actually Ali preempted me, but [the first thing] I was thinking of doing seeing that we've had all this discussion, [I really think we] need to get back to what Ali [suggested] and start putting together a table of all the activities that we're actually talking about today and getting the costing, who's going to do it, who's going to pay for it, blah blah blah, and start constructing something [that's] practical.

Then we have to look at how we're going to [what actually can we assign] or get support from the Outreach and Engagement Committee. As Ali mentioned, there's that meeting coming up shortly. And also Capacity Building Working Group, there may be some way in which they can actually support us. As long as we've got something planned, we can [inaudible] groups as well so that they can actually help us.

But as it was mentioned, we've got all these extra groups of newcomers and the [inaudible] coming along. And I know as I mentioned before we've got [Net Mission] coming from the Asia [inaudible], mainly Hong Kong and that area, but there are going to be some add-ins into that group. I'm not quite sure.

Of course, we'll have the Fellows, and there may be some way of incorporating Fellows. I know that there are quite a few from Asia Pacific within that Fellows group, so [it would be good to] include them into our program.

Is there a NextGen group? I think there is. And of course we've got as Siranush mentioned the Tribal Ambassadors from NARALO. I'm not quite sure what we're supposed to do with them, but [we've been]

given that responsibility. There will be NARALO people there. Are they our responsibility? Yes, I just wondered. Thanks. Nobody else with their hand up?

Siranush, are you back?

Okay, in the meantime this is Holly. I'll take over. Maureen, I absolutely agree with you. I think after this, what I would like to do is just draw up a quick chart that says these are the things that we have discussed, and then try to fit them into a pattern.

We don't know about the scheduling yet, but Gisella can help on that. I think the best place for the involvement of the Internet Society of China will be in that Outreach and Capacity Building to involve them there which would mean, obviously Kaili is saying not sure about donations, but that would be a way to involve them and others in there. So we're going to hear back from Ali, which is great.

But we also have to start work immediately on getting funds, what funds are available that we can use for travel and accommodation for the Indian ALSes. And the other stream is what kind of cultural event can we have for our Showcase event and then the budget for that, and maybe Satish you can help with that there – is that cost plus the budget.

So I think that's a kind of a round up where I think we are at this stage. And I think probably a call in two weeks would be better than leaving it, because we really have to follow up on how many Indian ALSes we can get with what money and how successful our approaches have been. So I think that's probably where we get to. Are people comfortable with that?

Everybody's quiet. Maureen's very comfortable with "I agree." Siranush is happy. Okay. Yay. I'll type something up.

[ALI ALMESHAL]: I think that is a systematic way to go ahead with that, so we get a bit organized so we know what we are doing.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes. I'm happy to do that sometime tonight. And I really do think we need a call in a couple of weeks. And really our first item has to be to get as many Indian ALSes involved somehow and figure out [sources of] money to get them there. And, Satish, we need from you if you can work on it both how many people does that involve and some kind of idea of travel costs so we know what we're asking for and we have an idea of how many people. That would be really, really, helpful. Okay? Oops. Satish lost his line.

The hour is fast approaching, and people have other things to do. But can we look forward to a call in a couple of weeks for everybody?

[ALI ALMESHAL]: Yes, it's already a part of action items I believe, so I think it's good.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, excellent. Siranush, I'll hand back to you as Chair.

ALI ALMESHAL: Guys, just something outside the subject. We need to talk about the mentorship program as well and somehow after this maybe you'll drop an e-mail and then we'll arrange for another call or just by e-mail, just to let you know.

HOLLY RAICHE: What if we do by e-mail, Ali, just what are the issues so that we actually have in front of us a "where are we up to, where do we want to get to?" And then just allocate say 15 or 20 minutes and say, "These are the things we have to talk about face-to-face, or rather, computer-to-computer."

ALI ALMESHAL: Absolutely right.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, excellent. With that, I think we can all say bye-bye because we've got plenty of stuff to do and we'll talk with you soon.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, everyone. We'll speak again after the 15th of August. Thank you. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]