
TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO monthly teleconference taking place on Monday, 8 August 2016, at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Allan Skuce, Louis Houle, Glenn McKnight, Gordon Chillcott, Eduardo Diaz, John Laprise, Garth Graham, Leah Symekher, Judith Hellerstein, Tom Lowenhaupt, Dana Perry, Alan Greenberg, and Eve Edelson.

We have listed apologies from Garth Bruen, Tim Denton – and I’m so sorry, Judith, who was that last one you had mentioned? Laura?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Loris Taylor.

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you. Joly MacFie just joined us as well. From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Joe Catapano, and myself, Terri Agnew. Our French interpreter today is Camila.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and also for our French interpreter.

With that, I’ll turn it back over to Glenn. Please begin.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, great. Welcome, everyone. I'm hoping you all are having a great summer. We had two meetings in June. The second meeting, we were face-to-face in Helsinki, and we have an updated version of that slideshow, which is a six-month [level set] of what we've accomplished in the last six months. Judith has my grammar and spelling errors as well, so thank you, Judith. We'll make sure that Judith sends that out to everyone.

Welcome, again. I'll turn to staff on the first item, Item 2, on the action items from our Helsinki meetings. I believe, Silvia, is that you?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. Hi, everyone. Silvia is traveling back home today. We see two action items today from the Helsinki meeting. The first is: "Glenn McKnight and Judith Hellerstein to lead a NARALO review of the effectiveness of the CROPP trips, NARALO to explore follow up actions." Glenn, is there a follow up for this?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, there is. And, Judith, please jump in. Recently, we've also had, because we're a CROPP RT, we've been going through the processes of CROPP. And this is something we've been bringing to the CROPP team itself in terms of the process and in terms of the application. I think it's very important because at our NARALO meetings and also our Outreach and Engagement, people were asking, "What are the policies, what are the procedures in terms of follow up?"

I talked to Le-Marie Thompson today. Also, on my trips that I did, I'm following up with each of them. So we're going to have a three- and a six-month process of following directly up with any leads for outreach. Judith, do you have additional comments on that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, I do not. We are just trying to figure out what happens after that because to make the CROPP be successful, we need to figure out what happens in the assessment. How have the leads been followed up on? Have they been turned into anything? Are they just more knowledge of the community? Are they actual new people joining, new ALSes? What really has transpired from attending of the CROPP trips?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Back to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much, Glenn. The second one is: "Andrew Mack created a small outreach committee to determine what to do with CROPP funds and effectiveness. He will share the methods to track results."

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, a comment on that. I saw Andrew in Washington recently, and I don't believe he's done any work on this. I'll turn to Judith. Have you heard anything from Andrew on this small committee?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, I have not heard anything from him at all. He came to, was it the NARALO or the Outreach talk about this?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, he [came to the] NARALO meeting.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: NARALO to talk about it, but then he hasn't really done anything, and we have to follow up with him.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Heidi and everyone, what we had is in both meetings we had people from the community – not from our own community – some people like Jason Hynds also made critical comments on results. I think this is where Andrew and other people, I believe Alan Greenberg as well mentioned, is that we've got to get results from the metrics. So this is all good stuff, but I honestly don't think Andrew has done much on this or he hasn't communicated with you. So as an action item, Heidi, I'll follow up with Andrew and see what he's actually done.

Okay, any questions on these action items? Okay, if there's nothing, and I'll make sure nobody's hand is up, okay, nothing from anyone on Adigo. Okay, good.

Okay, so let's move back to the agenda. The next item is an important item. Garth Bruen has expressed that – he's our ALAC representative – so we need to find a replacement. This is an opportunity, publicly. This is our first public meeting we've had with our membership. We need

any volunteers, and this has got to be done fairly quickly in order to decide on who this person is.

So we need to open up the floor to people who are interested to go to Hyderabad. It is a long distance. It is a long meeting. And committed to the ALAC meetings as well as the other meetings. So we need to ask people in the community who would be interested in going. So let me open it to the floor for anyone who is interested in actually being our designate. If there's more than one, we'll need to develop a fair and open process. If you can just put your hand up and speak on this matter.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Well, Glenn, first I wanted to give a little bit of clarification. For people who haven't come to an At-Large ICANN meeting, what we have done is attending all the At-Large or the regional meetings. That's when our business is usually done there, and so that person will be attending those meetings. They may not necessarily be voting on the ALAC issues as an ALAC member. That could be something else, something that Garth may give his vote to someone else who is more familiar with those proceedings at hand. This would be just attending the At-Large meetings and other different meetings of the committees that you're involved with. So I just wanted to give a little note of clarification on that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you. Okay, so we have a queue. Let me start with – let's see. We have two people who have put their hands up: John and Leah.

Let me start with – I'm not sure who put their hand up first. But if you're okay, if I can start with John. John, it's over to you.

JOHN LAPRISE:

Thank you, Glenn. I just want to say that I'd like to volunteer for the Hyderabad trip and the ICANN meeting. I've also been approached by the inaugural Summer School on Internet Governance that's taking place right prior to that, and I've taught at the [MEXSIG] as well as [EUROSIG]. So I might combine it with being a faculty member at the first [IndianSIG] as well. So that would be a fantastic opportunity. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, John. Okay, so we have it noted please, Heidi, for the record that the first person who has expressed interest is John Laprise. May I turn to Leah, please?

LEAH SYMEKHER:

I've been in NARALO for several years. I've never really been able to attend any of the ALAC meetings. I think this would be a great opportunity for me to actually be on the ground and really be able to see how those meetings are conducted as well as have the opportunity to interact with the other representatives from the other regions. It will be definitely a learning experience for me, which I think is vital for people who haven't had as much opportunity and experience. And bringing in that refreshed involvement from people who are actually volunteering as we are I think is important. So I do have a medical

condition – well, not condition, but my health has not been well in the last few months. I will be seeing my doctor tomorrow, my neurologist, and I'll get confirmation then if I can travel or not. So that will be the only hindrance. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much, Leah. Can I just – I don't see anyone else, but I understand looking at the notes that Louis Houle, and I believe that's an individual whose name is bounced around by Garth, but I don't see Louie. So if Louie is on Adigo or can he jump in and speak? Louie, the floor is yours.

[INTERPRETER-CAMILA]: Yes, hi, Glenn. I have Louie on the French channel. He was just talking to me, so if you give me a minute, I can give him the floor as you want.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, okay. Louie, we're waiting for you to speak.

LOUIE HOULE: Can you hear me, guys?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead, Louie.

I'm getting the impression that's yes she can hear me or yes she would be interested. I'm not sure. Okay. In the meantime, perhaps you can clarify. Oh, okay, so we have confirmation in the chat that she would like to put her name in as well. So please, staff, if you can add the name.

So, for the record – Allan, just give me one second – we have John Laprise, Louie, Leah, and Yubelkys.

Okay, Allan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I just wanted to make it clear, this is not a replacement for Garth. This is replacing Garth for a travel slot, not to replace as...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, Allan, thank you. I tried to allude it's just the Hyderabad meeting. You are absolutely correct. It is not from this point on after India. He's still in that position, but for the travel slot, we're looking for an alternate just for Hyderabad. Okay?

ALAN GREENBERG: We certainly are looking for someone who will be very active in the meeting, but to be clear, it is not as an ALAC...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Okay, everyone understand that? Okay, so Judith, did you want to speak about a process? We have to select this person fairly quickly. We need to have a process that's fair and open, but on the

other hand voting has to be very quick so that staff can actually go through the process for the bookings and confirmations. So this is an outstanding spot, and they really actually should have had this last week, but they've been gracious enough to give us a few extra days for this week. So, Judith, any comments?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah. First, I want to make sure that – I know Yubelkys was trying to speak – that we didn't cut her off. But we're going to try to set up some criteria of 1) can you attend all the days of the conference (this is a long conference)? and 2) looking at how active or at the engagement issue. That's also something that I think we're going to put down in the criteria. We're now just looking at trying to create the criteria to evaluate the people. But we see it also as an effort of increasing engagement for volunteers who have been working hard as volunteers and want to get more involved and have never been able to come to a meeting and to really understand all the entire processes that are involved. Hopefully then, this will get them to be more engaged.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you for that clarification, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Tom has a question. The deadline for making this decision: we need to decide by the end of this week.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, so whatever process we have in place in terms of voting, these four individuals will need to respond and each of the questions we'll be asking in terms of their commitment to the meetings, commitment to the time, natural questions that we'll be asking. This will be in place as quickly as possible, but a decision will be made by this Friday. Any other questions? Okay, if there are no more questions, if we can move along on the agenda.

Okay, sorry, there's a lag here. Tom, we're going to have three people decide: myself, Judith, and we'll have a third person. Perhaps Alan could be the third person if he's available. So we want to have a tie-breaker on that decision. We haven't completely decided. We'll be contacting each and every one of you on the questions. Thank you, Alan. We haven't had the chance to meet with or have a three-way chat with Alan on the questions, but we hope to have all these questions out as quickly as possible so you can respond to them.

Okay, last call. Any other questions? Thank you, all, for expressing interest. Every one of you, I'm looking forward to spending valuable time with you. It will be a great opportunity to work together.

Okay, so I want to move back to the agenda that we have. Again, the next is – I'm going to be very short on this one – it's Item 4 on the ICANN 56 Helsinki. It was a policy meeting, very different than your normal ICANN meeting. Much shorter. In many ways, quite good in terms of the participation and activities that we had. As a whole, I think it was a great meeting. We had the opportunity to have two of our meetings, the Technology Task Force and Outreach and Engagement, actually had very high attendance. I think there were over 100 people in

the room each time, so we were really impressed with the turnout. Judith, any other comments on the Helsinki meeting? And I'll, in fact, open it to Alan. He was at the meeting as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

No. It was actually a very well attended meeting. Both our NARALO and the Technology Task Force and a couple other meetings had very good attendance. The weather was great, and I felt it was a very interesting meeting. Got a chance to really get involved in different policy issues.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Eduardo was there, but as typical NomCom, they are ushered away in a private little spot. Eduardo, did you have any comments? I think he's muted. Eduardo? Okay, move on. So that's a quick update on the ICANN 56.

I'd just like to turn to the community. We have a few minutes just to give an overview on things that have been happening with your ALS. I'll turn to the first item. It is Judith or David to talk as people who were on the steering committee for the IGF-USA to talk about the IGF-USA.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I don't think David Vyorst is on, but I will talk about it. Joly headed up most of the video of it. Maybe I will give the floor first to Joly to talk about that.

JOLY MACFIE: I would mention the IANA session. The IANA session has been something which would be worth reviewing if there was some contrary and there's something going on on it. Larry seemed almost like he was going to lose it at the beginning when he spoke.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks, Joly. And Joly has all the video up on the site. It's on the IGF-USA site. And if you want a particular link to anything, Joly can send it to you. I also did a panel on access in remote rural areas, especially and we had people from indigenous populations and someone from the FCC talking about their work on accessibility issues. It was a very well received panel. I would say, anyone who hasn't seen them to actually go and watch the videos or read the captions from them. It's actually excellent.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Any other final comments? Joly? Seth was at the meeting, too. Both Seth and Louis has done a report. They were both funded by CROPP, and their detailed report is in the CROPP reports. If Louis or Seth can talk about it from a CROPP outreach perspective that would be great. Seth or Louis? Not getting either one. Okay, Joly is... Any hand?

JOLY MACFIE: I'll just come in and say that the Elon stuff is great, too, and is worth looking at. It's on their YouTube channel.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, great. Yes, if you have the links on the YouTube channel, just drop them into the chat if you don't mind, Joly.

Okay, so that's the IGF-USA. Did anyone else have a community event or outreach or special event that you would like to share with the community? Okay.

Oh, sorry. There's Louis now. Louis, go ahead.

LOUIS HOULE: We prepared a report, Seth and I, and there's only a couple of things that I would like to underline. We've been attending most of the meetings there and I think that it's very interesting to come back on the IANA transition and what's been said and the situation in the United States of America with IANA. Between the lines we have to understand that it was a very political issue and I invite you to read our report on that.

The other point I wanted to stress was the similarity with the problems and activity in the United States of America and Canada. So for these reasons I invite you to read our report and feel free to come back and ask any question or details that you would like to discuss with us. You will be more than welcome.

Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. Louis, if you can hear us, if you speak again, please mute your Adobe line. We're getting quite an echo. If you don't mind. Joly, it's suggested turning down your mic line. Okay, either way.

Okay, that's it. Is there anyone else? Last call. If you have an organization that has done some interesting stuff since the last time we've had a meeting or something that you're planning forthcoming. I know that Washington, D.C. is doing an event coming up in September and we'll be sharing that as well. David is not on the line to talk about that event. Judith, can you talk about that Washington, D.C. event in September?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, they are doing an event in September on a DNS Forum with PIR and LACTLD, and they're bringing together a diverse group of experts to discuss the impacts of policy on DNS. And so they are just forming this right now on September 14th and 15th at CSIS. But they're also going to be doing a brainstorming breakfast on Thursday, August 18th and so we could talk about that.

Also additionally, the IGF-USA is looking at trying to create a better framework for future IGFs in the U.S.A. and so there is a group that's forming and they're having a planning meeting tomorrow at [inaudible] 4 and 5:30 and I can send out the [Zoom] channel for them people that want to participate remotely. And it's to rethink of how do we create a terms of reference for future IGFs. We've been doing it on the fly each time, but maybe we should have some better structure. So that's the thought.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. I believe the Steering Committee SWG is asking for feedback. Excellent event, by the way. Judith, you did a great job on your panel. Great speakers.

Louis, is that an old hand or a new comment? Okay. Had not, I'll turn to Leah. Do you have an event with ISOC [SFC]?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes, absolutely. This is actually a past event. In June we had a membership meeting here, which we are trying to have one quarterly. We had a guest speaker, Robert [inaudible] and this was included in the newsletters. But in case anyone missed the NARALO newsletter, he is from the United States Department of Agriculture and it was really interesting because his topic is usually focused on agriculture technology and rural development. We learned a lot about accessibility issues for farmers in this region, and so that's a project that we will probably be pursuing with Mr. Robert [inaudible] and the Chapter. For more on that in the future – and Glenn, you're doing quite a bit in that area so maybe we will get input from you and everybody else who has had experience.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Also one last thing. Susan [Gray] who is our new Vice Chair and she is very involved in ICANN and a lot of the RRI's as well, so you might be seeing her in some of the meetings or just communication from her. Just [inaudible] she is representing the Chapter, she is doing a great job.

Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. Joly, you have a comment?

JOLY MACFIE: There's just a couple of events that we did. We did the Chapter did a privacy summit where we had a representative and goes [inaudible] speak – I mean a privacy meet-up and now a privacy summit is planned for later on in the year.

And then we did the [Hackers] on Planet Earth Conference which was a big three-track for three days event, and we live streamed it. We had over 330,000 views on a wide screen and I gave a keynote right after Cory Doctorow. So in fact, even my keynote had 3000 views which is as many as I think a keynote about the Internet Society has ever had anywhere.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Excellent. Wow. So next time I see you I need to get your autograph, Joly.

JOLY MACFIE: We're doing a Cyber Security Summit, that's October 6th with all of the other local groups that do Cyber Security.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Excellent. Great. Well, both of you have done super work. Thank you so much. Anyone else that has a community event you want to share? Make sure we get this information about forthcoming events. We can put it in the calendar and Eduardo will repeat it again in a minute. Pictures, pictures, pictures, and a little write-up for the newsletters. It's absolutely critical. And Heidi has – great minds think alike – she has said it. So on that point, I want to move to Heidi. I'll give you the floor, Heidi, to talk about our special requests. We have two items for the community to know about. So back to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: All right, thank you. And I'm going to give just a little bit more than those two items, but I'll start with those two. And I'm starting with the Tribal Ambassadorship. This is an exciting new project that Loris Taylor from Native Public Media has submitted. And what this is going to be doing is allowing two indigenous Americans from both Canada and the U.S. to travel to ICANN 57 in Hyderabad to partake in both At-Large events as well as some of the Fellows events that are going to be taking place there. The announcement went out last week and the deadline for that will be the 14th of August. So please pass the word. We've been trying to do that via lists and social media, etc. but that one has been nicely planned with Janice from the Fellows.

The second item is the NARALO General Assembly which is going to be taking place in April in New Orleans on the sidelines of ARIN. And again, what that is going to allow is one representative from each of the ALSes as well as one – probably the lead – from the unaffiliated members will be able to attend that General Assembly. So we've moved forward on both of these quite a bit so those are in good shape.

Another one I just wanted to remind Judith that we do have the captioning project that we should start thinking about implementing as sort of a follow on from the one that we just finished. And also just two quick follow-ups: one is that there is going to be a call of the Finance and Budget Subcommittee in the last part of August, just as a follow-up to go through all of the projects – not just NARALO's but all.

And then finally, just a quick follow-up on the Fiscal Year 2016, there was an e-book project you might recall, and that Glenn and Maureen and others created several e-books on the Capacity Building webinars. And then we also now have purchased the Executive Program of software so that is now available for use for the community to make e-books.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That's great. Thank you. And just on the e-book thing, Heidi, that's a lifetime membership with that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. Yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: And if anyone's interested in learning more about how to use that tool, let me know and I will send the links to everyone on the different books that we've created.

Okay, well that's great. Any questions on any of those items? Okay, we've got a queue. Okay, starting off, Leah.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Sorry, that was actually from before so I'm lowering my hand. Sorry.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Joly? He's gone, too. Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, I know the captioning is starting up, but I recall when Silvia and I met with Dev at Helsinki that Silvia was going to put together some spreadsheets beforehand that we needed to do and I'm not sure that was ever done. So if you could check back in with her.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you very much, Judith. I'll link an action item for that.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Actually, may I ask a quick question about the Tribal Ambassador?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure, go ahead.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes, in terms of making sure – I mean, we have reached out to our members with that – and we'd like to make sure that we're able to get something back from anybody who attends back to our membership in terms of sharing the experience and be able to maybe then become a leader within the Chapter and maybe continue with projects that relate to this particular issue. Is there any advice on that, or is that something that you're encouraging? I just want to make sure that the Chapters still get benefit from that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: [Seth], did you want to respond?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, did you call on me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. So, thank you very much. Excellent question, Leah. Basically, what we did in planning this project – the implementation of the project – was worked very closely with Janice Douma Lange from the Fellowships program. And part of the Fellowships program includes significant reporting back in order to see what that person gained and also to obviously put forth some of the information that we've gained for use

throughout NARALO. So the two people who will be going will definitely be reporting back and we might want to put them onto a call – one of the NARALO monthly calls – to provide the feedback. But they are going to be very active in getting the reporting, etc. So there should be information for you.

Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. I do have a couple of comments on the one item in particular – the General Assembly. We have a [Trillio] project management site created. We are working on the agenda. So this is a call. It's an action item for people who would be interested as speakers to do lightning talks. We have a very tight schedule, so we're going to try to be as valuable as possible. But we're also asking you the community on what topics you want to cover, but it's not like it's going to be talking heads. All of us are there for the same reason. We're expecting you all to be participating, not just as observers.

I know Ogi – thank you for joining us today – Ogi is ISOC Colorado. Ogi is a very good facilitator. We should put him down. He is one of the facilitators for the sessions as well. But I'd like to just ask for a show of hands of who would be interested in this working group on our agenda for the General Assembly. We have lots of time. We'll probably have our first meeting probably in September. So if you please just raise your hand of who would like to volunteer in different aspects.

Okay, thank you, everyone. So just keep your hands up so staff can jot it down. We have John Laprise. Anyone else? I'll leave you guys to take

your time to let the staff know your interests, if you can document it, please.

Okay, I want to move on while people are putting up their hands.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Glenn, question. We've gotten a couple new people who joined the call and Heidi asked to make sure that they also knew about the opportunity to apply to come to ICANN for the Hyderabad. And if they are interested and because we have an extra travel slot since Garth is not able to make it, so we're taking down names of people who can who are interested in attending and being active and coming to all the meetings and being a very active participant while they're in Hyderabad. And if they're interested and can take off the full time, please let us notate your name and staff will put it down and we'll be setting up our criteria and getting back to all of you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. We're not going to repeat everything that we discussed because of time restrictions, but Seth, Ogi, Le-Marie, I believe were the ones that came in a little bit late. Just to stress, we are looking for any names that can spare the time. Right now we have a few names, but if any of you are interested in going to the Hyderabad – only one meeting – in place of Garth. It's not replacing Garth as the ALAC representative. So the meeting is November 3rd to the 9th, and it's in Hyderabad. Seth? So if you are interested, please get us your intention. We'll be sending out a criteria and we need an answer by Friday. So do not put your name up if

you cannot go or it's questionable because we want to move this fairly quickly. Okay? Judith, anything else? Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: But Marie had a hand up for speaking.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, but I think we got the names of volunteers. Thank you so much. You can clear your hands and I'll turn to Le-Marie. Go ahead. Please, Le-Marie, it's for you.

As we're waiting for Le-Marie to speak, for the record we have Seth has expressed interest to be added to the list of names. So please, if we can edit that to add Seth as a person expressing interest to be considered for the Hyderabad trip. Okay, John, do you have a comment?

JOHN LAPRISE: Sorry, no. I just had my hand up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, go ahead. No.

JOHN LAPRISE: Sorry, I was just [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Le-Marie, if you can type your issue in the chat box that would be great. Judith, anything else before we move on the agenda? Okay.

I want to move quickly on the CROPP. We have two trips that have been completed. We have Tom is going through the process of applying using new forms for his November trip. So we have two spots available still. So I just want to make sure the community realizes, please take the time to read the CROPP criteria and the responsibilities and there are a few changes to the CROPP program. I'll turn to Judith. Judith, did you want to make a comment about the changes on the CROPP program?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sure. Yes, the changes on the CROPP program are that an extra day was added. So whereas in the past, travel was only two nights and three days, now it's three nights and four days. And it still covers registration fees, still covers flights and hotels per diem, and we have two trips left, so please do let us know as soon as possible whether you're interested. First of all, the trip – if you could read our strategic plan, your trip has to match something that's in our strategic plan. So that's what we want to make sure of.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. And it can't be, say, next month. You've got to give ICANN ample staff time to book and do stuff. It takes eight weeks to make the confirmation. They will pay for the registration, the hotel, your travel and the stipend.

Okay, Alan, I do note your comment. I'm trying to move this as quickly as possible through the agenda, we'll hopefully get to your request as well. Okay, given that, I want to move quickly along. We have Eduardo, who has been patient. Eduardo, please, talk about the NomCom.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, just a quick information about the NomCom. NomCom for this year have met the day after the ICANN 56 meeting ended. We separated two days to do the work, to get the final slate, and we were able to do it in a little bit more than half a day, so we finished in one day, basically. And I think we have very good candidates, the process was very fair, and the group was very motivating and the discussion was very interesting. But I think at the end, we ended up with a good slate of people. The slate will be announced sometime at the end of this month.

Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Any questions?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, thank you. Any questions for Eduardo? Okay, I don't think so. Thank you so much, Eduardo, and I want to turn to Eduardo Diaz to talk about the newsletter.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Again, the same thing that I mention every time I have this item here, please send me your information. Remember, this is a newsletter, it's not to write long stories. Keep it short. If you have pictures, send them to me or the link, I can bring them up. Look at this as a tool toward the regions. So remember, there is a repository of this newsletter in the wiki, so you can always go back and refer to the wiki if you saw something in there that was interesting and you didn't have a chance to look closer. You can go there and see this information.

I am working with Joly to see if he can put together a list, a compilation of all the videos and [inaudible] collect throughout the month to see if we can put that information right there in the newsletter somehow. So again, I see this as a historical repository that you can go and look at.

I have been doing this for a year, and I don't have a problem to keep doing it, but if any of you are interested in doing this [in around] just please let me know. It will provide a fresh perspective to the newsletter, and I do this in my own style and you're welcome to – if anybody is interested – to do it in your own style. The important thing is that you have to be there every month and do it. There has to be a continuity to this, so it would take about two or three years before people realize that – people don't know that we're doing something like this. So it would be like a heartbeat. Even though you don't open it, it will be there every month.

Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much. We have a question from Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Actually, it's not necessarily a question. I put the plug for the Tribal Ambassador, the wiki page in the chat, and I can put it again. We would love to have it passed along to many Chapters might have people who are interested in this in their Chapter, and they may not know about this. So if you could post it all out to your Chapter's mailing list, that would be greatly appreciated. The deadline is the 14th, which is next Sunday, so we hope that as many people apply as possible.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Anyone have any questions for Eduardo on the newsletter, or if anyone is interested in being a co-editor? You may not want to take it on entirely, but maybe you have some journalistic chops that you would like to sort of assist Joly and Eduardo. So if there's anyone in the group that's interested in participating, I could tell you that this model that he's doing and the format that he's doing is one of the unique communication tools within the RALOs. I believe I've talked to other RALOs on what they're doing, but Eduardo is doing a fantastic job. It's a tough job to consistently do it, and we definitely appreciate it, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. I just also want to thank staff for opening up an accounting [inaudible]. It's a great tool to use to do this type of stuff. Thank you, Heidi and your group. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, thank you. Eduardo, would you mind – this is actually to Heidi as well – if other RALOs are interested in how Eduardo does it – and I've got lots of experience with MailChimp, but maybe we can do a little Capacity Building session on communication and newsletters. That might be something if you're okay, Eduardo, maybe we can do something together.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, but Heidi, you have the final word there. I think this is a tool that can be used for anyone that wants to do something like that, but that's my perspective on this. I don't know Heidi's.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Excellent, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, hi – oh, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Heidi. Joly, very quickly.

JOLY MACFIE: I would suggest that we might have a call, even if it's an informal one, amongst ourselves a few days ahead of the actual deadline, just so we can focus on what we're doing, maybe about four days ahead of the deadline, just to like kick the ideas around and finalize it. I think it would help.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thanks, Glenn. Eduardo, just again a personal thank you, your work is excellent in this, and I read the various newsletters every time. Yes, great idea to do this. Maybe we could have a call before Hyderabad, or something we could also do in Hyderabad is have it during the regional Secretariat's meeting. This is something that I would like to see in other RALOs as well, if there's interest. So given the success, there might be more interest now than there was when it was first starting.

Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you so much. I'm sensitive to time, and unfortunately – or unfortunately, I don't believe Lindon or Josh Price is on the call to do a showcase. He's one of our newest ALSes, ISOC North Carolina. Lindon, are you on Adigo? I don't see you on Adobe. Judith, did he get back to you on the showcase?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, unfortunately Lindon did not get back to me.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, so I'm sorry folks, we do not have the update for you. The next number of items are – you can read it in the schedule. I'm going to move through them quickly. These are different, you can look on the agenda, you can look at the sites what common pages that are required for asking us, but I got Adobe request from Alan to move the agenda back to an item that he'd like to talk about, and so Alan, I'm going to give you the rest of the time. It's nine minutes.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't need nine minutes. As some of you who keep track might know, it's getting to be time to collect our [inaudible].

TERRI AGNEW: Alan, I'm sorry for interrupting, but your line is cutting in and out and it's very difficult for our interpreters.

ALAN GREENBERG: Is that any better?

TERRI AGNEW: No, not yet.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then I'll have to call back and hope it works better in a moment.

TERRI AGNEW: Certainly. Thank you, Alan.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, Heidi, did you want to talk on this matter? It's regarding our Board positions.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I'm going to just say a little bit, because I think Alan would want to say most of it. I just want to let everyone know that we are going to gear up for both the Board – the BCEC, as well as the BMSPC, which is the Board Selection Committee, and we're getting ready to do a call for members for those. The work pages are up, we're just waiting for Alan to confirm them, so there should be a call going out this week.

BCEC, Judith, is the Board – I just need to remind myself of what actually that – let's see. Board Candidate Evaluation Committee. And the other one is the BMSPC, Board Member Selection Process Committee, and the new ROPs – let me go ahead and just put those work spaces in, they're public anyway.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm back, is that any better?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, okay, Alan.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Before you start, Alan, Heidi, just wrap up what you're saying, and please put the links in the – just wrap up, Heidi, so we can turn it back to Alan.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so basically, Alan, I just was saying that we're getting ready to launch a call for both the BCEC and the BMSPC, and I'm going to go ahead and put the work spaces into the chat.

ALAN GREENEBRG: Thank you. As Heidi was saying, there r two committees associated with the selection process. There's the BCEC, the committee that looks at applications and creates a slate of applicants to be voted on. That committee is composed of ten people: two people selected by the RALO, plus one alternate by each RALO, so there are three people that the RALO has to select.

There's a call for applicants, for expressions of interest, that will be going out very shortly. It will not last very long, it will last about a week or a little over a week, and then the RALO will have about a week to make a selection. So you need to put together the thoughts on how you're going to do that.

The second committee is the BMSPC, that is the committee that oversees the election. It essentially is the process, the group that handles the overall process. And that is also composed of ten people with alternates. My recollection is – I'll have to verify when the actual call goes out – that each RALO has to select one person, and I believe

the ALAC selects one person. But it's something close to [seven]. The call will specify exactly. So we're looking for about five people to be selected by the RALOs to participate in this selection process. There are a number of rules, perhaps obvious ones, but you cannot participate in the BCEC, the group that selects candidates, if you intend to be a candidate.

Quite obviously, there's a high amount of separation. Essentially, this is a nominating committee, equivalent to the Nominating Committee, for the purposes of this one Board seat. And I think all you need to do now is be alert to the message that comes out. If you're interested, fill out the appropriate documents and submit them.

Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Okay, we have Heidi in the queue, and Joly. And I believe Joly is first. Go ahead, Joly.

JOLY MACFIE: I've lowered my hand.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I have as well.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. How many spots from –

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Eduardo is in the queue.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Eduardo is in the queue.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, I don't see his hand, but go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, I just wrote something. I just wanted to ask Alan here, if you can have people from one meeting and from one committee participating in the other committee, or if they have to be different people?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Excellent question. Alan, did you understand the question?

ALAN GREENEBRG: The question I think was can you have someone who's on both the BMSPC and the BCEC. Is that the question?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes.

ALAN GREENEBRG: No, you can't. That would certainly not be optimal, and I believe it's not allowed, but I'd have to check to rules. But certainly, that's not something we would look for.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you.

ALAN GREENEBRG: You could certainly apply to both, however.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Question: are you looking for one individual for the committee from NARALO? Is that –

ALAN GREENEBRG: We are looking for about four. We are looking for two members for the BCEC. The BCEC cannot be composed – cannot have as its members any of the electors, the people who actually do the final voting, and that's the ALAC and the regional leaders. So that has to be all selected by the RALO, there are no ALAC members on this. And the BMSPC I believe is composed of half, plus in both cases there are alternates that need to be selected in case someone has to drop out.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

ALAN GREENEBRG: The call will be very specific as to what is needed.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Judith, go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So I'm a little unclear. Alan, did you say that the BCEC, you can't have anyone on there who's in the RALO leadership or ALAC leadership? It has to be other people who are not in either of them?

ALAN GREENEBRG: No. Almost, but not quite. The Chair – the electors will be the – the ALAC that is in place roughly next March, and the RALO Chairs that are in place. So for instance, someone on the ALAC today but who is leaving could be a member of the BCEC, and secretariats can be members, because they don't hold the vote.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

ALAN GREENEBRG: Does that make it clearer?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Judith?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think we may have lost her, she is typing something.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, I just was typing in [inaudible] that it is clear.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, we have roughly 20 people on this call today, and I'm appealing to any of you to take heed of what Alan is saying. We'll try to put a document together with a Q&A to try to make it simpler, but I'd encourage you – these are short, very short committees, which is great. So it's a great way to get involved with our community, so I appeal to the people on the call today to consider being on the committees.

ALAN GREENBERG: Glenn, if I may, you have to think about what these committees are. the BCEC is selecting people to be on ICANN's Board, therefore, we are looking for people who have, number one, preferably participated in this kind of process before, either on the BCEC or on an ICANN NomCom, who really understand the intricacies of what a Director has to do, and what characteristics a Director has. So certainly for the BCEC, these are not introductory positions to start getting involved. These are people who really have to go into it with some knowledge and expertise

of the subject, preferably. We're not in a position to guarantee everything.

The BMSPC is a process type committee, not policy, and it will have a lot of decisions to make in a very short time. So again, we are looking for people who will really commit themselves to that kind of work.

Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thanks, Alan. Okay, we're at the top of the hour now. I think we've done very well. I'll just open – anyone else for any other business before we move on? Judith, do you have any final words?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I have no final words.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, great. Thank you all of calling, and we'll see you in September or on our next call. Again, have a great rest of the summer.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And my only thing is, tell all your friends to – if they're able, go to Tribal Ambassador.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Right.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, one single criteria. Bye, everyone.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Bye.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Gracias, bye.

TERRI AGNEW: And once again, the meeting has been adjourned. Thank you very much for joining. Please remember to disconnect all remaining lines, and have a wonderful rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]