

---

GISELLA GRUBER: ...our interpreters for the evening will be able to identify you on the French channel, as well as for transcript purposes. Thank you. Aziz, you have the floor.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you, Gisella. Good evening, everyone. Thank you for attending the call today. I see we have many more participants than before, many more than usual indeed. So welcome to our monthly teleconference for AFRALO on this very day, on this Wednesday, July 13, 2016. May I remind you that we will not be having a teleconference in August because of our holidays, and we will resume our work in September.

Having said that, I will start with the open public comment periods. And I will ask each ALS, each stakeholder group, to participate at the public comment periods with their comments. As you know, that is standard ICANN policy. Whenever there is a new decision to be taken, it is published on the ICANN website in order to get the community's advice and views on that item.

So I will start now with the list. The first public comment that is open regards the new ICANN Bylaws. Regarding that, the comments sought are regarding the Bylaws that will govern the organization. As you know, the comments should deal with the recommendations of two main groups, one being the ICG, which is the group in charge of the transition, and the Cross-Community Working Group that's working on ICANN's accountability enhancement cause, the CCWG Accountability.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

Right at the end of the Marrakesh meeting, it was decided that the community should have the possibility of making comments regarding those amendments to the Bylaws. Secondly, we also have recommendations regarding the changes to the new gTLD registries. The comments sought should deal with the changes proposed to the registry agreements, effective today. And the recommendations should also deal with this change in the relationship between ICANN and the Registries Stakeholder Group, which has been meeting to discuss the different recommendations made, the different changes proposed, and the work that has been accomplished as a whole.

Thirdly, we also have a reference on the LGR, that being Reference Label Generation Rulesets, for the second level. This public comment specifically will deal with the changes proposed in order to enhance the coherence, the security, and the stability of new gTLDs registries' operations. ICANN has developed reference tables for this ruleset that shall be applicable to IDNs, Internationalized Domain Names, that will be launched soon hereafter.

Fourthly, we have the ICANN Fellowship. This public comment period specifically deals with the ICANN Fellowship Program application process review. This Fellowship is a program that's been going on for a number of years, and it has now been proposed that the application review process should actually be reviewed itself. So we now have a possibility of making comments regarding the process followed in order to assess the applications received. The program is now being reviewed, and ICANN would like to receive the community's recommendations regarding the criteria applied in order to assess the different applications to this [day] in order to grant slots in the Fellowship

---

Program. This could be for the Fellowship Program, or actually could be for the NextGen Program. So comments are sought regarding the assessment process followed by ICANN in order to decide who should participate at these two programs. This will be applicable to the budget for next year, for the next fiscal year.

Following that, we have the PTI governance documents. These are draft Bylaws for the PTI, which is an institution that would pretty much replace the current structure. And Tijani will be presenting the PTI to us, and the Articles of Incorporation for the PTI.

The ICG has already been making recommendations as to what sort of structure ICANN should follow in order to assure the correct functioning of the IANA function. So the community has already started to work on the development of a number of measures that would govern the PTI. And ICANN should therefore add these PTI Articles of Incorporation to its Bylaws. It should also decide what the role of the PTI would be, which would be to oversee the IANA functions regarding naming and addresses. So ICANN is also in charge of dealing with number resources and numbering functions, functions of IANA. So it is important that we all participate in this public comment period. You still have another ten days to present your comments, so do not miss your chance.

Following this, we also have another public comment period regarding the governance of the PTI. This PTI governance is defined in the PTI governance document, a project that's been going on within ICANN, deals with the way the PTI will be governed. And the document that have been put together so far have been available on the ICANN website. Bear in mind that these documents are supposed to represent

---

us all once they are in force. So you should absolutely seize the chance to make your comments regarding these governance documents that have been proposed. Each of the documents will be amended vis-à-vis what's already in force and applicable at ICANN.

Following that, we have the proposed amendments to the .com registry agreement. And finally, there's also another public comment period that will go on for another 32 days regarding the proposed measures for the GNSO. You know, the GNSO deals with generic top-level domains. And so the measures are proposed for letter and letter two-character ASCII labels to avoid confusion with corresponding country codes.

Now, that is the full public comment period list. Unless there's any comments regarding the list that I have just gone through, we're going to – and I don't see any hands raised or anyone asking for the floor. So we're going to move on to the following item on the agenda, which is the reports section.

We will start with this reports section. We'll explain now, for those who are attending our monthly meeting for the first time, this reports section is supposed to give the possibility to each AFRALO representative to give us a report regarding their activities, whether recent activities or upcoming activities, whether within ALAC or at the AFRALO level.

We're now going to start with the recent and upcoming activities of ALAC, for which I will clarify that Tijani has unfortunately not been able to be with us this evening. And so I will give the floor to Seun or to Wafa, whichever of them wishes to take the floor in order to present

---

the recent and upcoming activities of ALAC. Is Wafa with us? If Wafa is not connected, I am not going to give the floor to Seun.

CAMILA: Seun, I cannot hear you. You might be muted.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello, can you hear me?

CAMILA: Yes, I hear you now.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello, can you hear me?

AZIZ HILALI: Yes, I can hear you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Go ahead, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, thank you. I'm just going to give a quick background. We focused on the ALAC activities. Can you hear me? Should I continue?

---

AZIZ HILALI: Yes, you can continue. I am hearing you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, good. We had a good meeting in Helsinki, where we discussed various issues. And then just to give a quick update on some of the key [inaudible], we were able to appoint a liaison to GAC. So right now, At-Large has a liaison to the GAC. The liaison is expected to actually occupy that position temporarily until we actually initiate a formal election process for the actual liaison. Then they will be able to sit in that position outside the [inaudible]. We also did the At-Large group, we actually did [inaudible] the one that is critical to the Board selection process is the one that we [inaudible].

We also discussed the formalities from the Selection Committee. So ALAC is actually now forming the Selection Committee that will actually be the group that will be recommending suitable candidates. All of them should be going through the [inaudible] call, recommended candidate for the [inaudible] position that may come up in future to the ALAC for fill that. The Selection Committee is going to be composed of the entire ALT and also one member each from the RALOs. So I think the time to call [inaudible] temporary for our own appointee to the Selection Committee.

We also – actually, this is three right before [the Helsinki] also that we [inaudible] APRALO from the At-Large multi-year budget for the At-Large summit. So this is kind of a good list. And then the good news is that now that the summit is now budgeted for the next [inaudible] we are actually [inaudible] the entire planning of the [inaudible].

---

That is for ALAC. And for now, I think I'll just hold on [inaudible] and then ask if there are any questions or any additions. I will note that Wafa [inaudible] entity, but I think she also delegated [inaudible] to Janice [inaudible]. So if Wafa is there, if you are following online [inaudible] and you want to add. But I am done for ALAC. I will hear any comments or questions. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: I'm sorry. I'm not receiving any audio from Aziz. I'm trying to check that he's not muted.

Aziz has just disconnected. He's reconnecting on Adobe Connect. There he is. Thank you.

Aziz, can you hear us?

AZIZ HILALI: Yes, I'm right here. Can you hear me?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, we hear you.

AZIZ HILALI: I'm sorry. Internet disconnect. It comes and goes all the time. So I got disconnected. I apologize for that. Where are we, Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: You have the floor. Seun just finished presenting his report.

AZIZ HILALI:

Wonderful. Thank you, Seun. I'm not sure I got your entire presentation, but I think you mentioned the Selection Committee, and we're going to come back to that. You know that the main mission of the Selection Committee is to represent an AFRALO representative.

Secondly, we're now going to move on to recent and upcoming activities of AFRALO members. I'm sorry to speed a bit, but we're going to have to finish the call early today because our interpreter is alone and she will only be staying for 60 minutes this evening. So if you have any activities that you would like to share with us, you have the floor right now. This is the time to do it. Who would like to take the floor?

I don't see anyone's hand raised, so we're going to move on to the next item, which is a report on the ICANN 56 meeting of Helsinki. I'm going to deal with this briefly. And then if any other AFRALO member would like to add anything, you will have the floor in order to do so.

This was our first ever policy forum. This is the first ICANN public policy forum, as it is called. And as you all know, ICANN meetings, ever since the Marrakesh meeting, has started to follow – oh, we have someone's hand raised. I'm going to finish this, and then I'll give you the floor. So as I was saying, at the Helsinki meeting, we dealt specifically with public policy. This gave us a chance to discuss the transition of the IANA in the light of the recent NTIA reports. The Helsinki meeting was also the opportunity to celebrate the 200<sup>th</sup> ALS, because ALAC recently accredited its 200<sup>th</sup> ALS. This is to say that we have now roughly 42 ALSes in Africa, 44 in Asia-Pacific, 50 in Latin America, and in Europe.

---

Also, we have a joint AFRALO-AfrICANN meeting, which was a huge success. At this joint meeting, we had the honor of having Pierre Dandjinou, ICANN VP. We also had the Vice Chair of Governmental Engagement. We had a number of members of the GSE. And we also had the ALAC Chair, Alan Greenberg, with us. This was our fourth meeting on the hot issue at ICANN, which has been a hot issue for two years. That is to say, the IANA transition and ICANN's accountability. We also dealt with our perspective towards the future.

I would like to thank Seun, Tijani, and Mohamed for the wonderful work they did at drafting and sharing with us once again a statement that was adopted at the meeting. This statement has now been put forward for the ICANN Board of Directors to consider it.

ICANN has also published a request for volunteers to work at the SSR2, for the Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the DNS. This call for volunteers is open until the end of the month. And you have time until August 15<sup>th</sup> to present your application as volunteers.

We had someone asking for the floor. I believe it was Daniel. Was it you, Daniel? I don't see any hands raised at the time.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: No follow-up.

UNIDENTIFIED SPEAKER: Okay, Daniel. Should I ask Aziz for the floor?

---

DANIEL NANGHAKA: No, it was previously, asking about the upcoming activities from the different ALSes. Is that all right? Should I go ahead and make the comment?

CAMILA: Hold on.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay.

AZIZ HILALI: So regarding the recent and upcoming activities of AFRALO members, you can go ahead, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much, Aziz. Previously, when we had a brief chat in Helsinki, I happened to speak with Isaac Maposa, who is running a new ALS and organizing an activity that is in Zimbabwe. But the idea is to follow up with him just to report on the progress of how he is going ahead in the preparations.

And also, I will be happy to report that ISOC Uganda is going to be holding its new IGF. And they have a list of slots open, which having [Bob] as one of the speakers during the new IGF. I think that's the report. Back to you, Aziz. Thank you.

---

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much, Daniel. We note what you just said. And we're now then going to move on to Item number 4, which is items for information. So I'm going to give the floor to Mohamed and then to Seun.

Mohamed, if you're with us, I would like you to briefly tell us about the group's work. I know you have finished working, but I would like to ask you if you have any updates to present to us regarding the ICG. You have the floor.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you very much, Aziz. Actually, I will be brief. ICG, as you know, there are no activities in ICG. We're just observing the implementation of the proposal. There is some good work [inaudible] and progressive. Keep in mind, the Bylaws has been put down. There is a submission of the Customer Standing Committee, which is already undergoing, and different ICANN constituencies are submitting their [representatives] on that activity. So the work is already going [in the implementation]. Again, the U.S. government's approval of the proposal, as you know, NTIA has already provided its assessment of the proposal, which has indicated that it's passed all the requirement. So now it's the Board and the U.S. government's side identifying and [inaudible] its internal process.

And Steve Crocker met At-Large community and ALAC, indicated that by mid-August, it will be clear to ICANN and everyone that the transition is going as planned or there is major issues within its [approvals]. As you know, the political challenges facing the proposal's approval is going to

---

be [confronted] with public [inaudible] of senators [inaudible] publicly came out in a challenge and to refused to support the proposal. But overall, ICANN and the community working on implementation. Thank you very much.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much, Mohamed. Thank you very much for all the information that you just shared with us.

Seun is a member of the CWG. And he has also participated at the ICG's discussions. So, Seun, before we move on to the Cross-Community Working Group, would you like to take the floor to add anything regarding the ICG's activities?

SEUN OJEDEJI:

ICG or CWG? Because activity was somewhat a closed group. For CWG, I just have a quick update in relation to CWG status. [inaudible] object of the [inaudible] that are currently up for public comment to successfully [inaudible] recommends. So three documents have been published for public comment, which is the PTI conflict of interest document, the PTI code of conduct document, and also the PTI [inaudible] document.

The PTI Bylaw is currently in its finalization stage. So it wasn't actually published for public comment [inaudible] with these other documents. But we hope that it will soon be published as well. And a couple of days from now, it should also be published [inaudible] be published today. But at the time I checked, I don't think that's been published yet. But as you understand, it's going to be published soon.

---

Indication, the fact that those documents are now published is some indication that some of the work of the CWG will now be more [imperative] in that we are getting to be wide enough of the implementation and [inaudible] implementation process by strong activity during the public comment period. The [inaudible] will be meeting tomorrow, and I welcome any member of this group to actually join the discussion as well. We'll be discussing things have to do with attending [inaudible] in relation to the Bylaw. And we probably also will be getting [object] in relation to the ALAC [trademark] and the [IPR] issues relating to ALAC and also the domain name itself. So I welcome you guys to join that discussion. [Inaudible] in relation to the [inaudible] CWG, Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI: Seun, is that the end of your intervention?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. For CWG that is the end of my intervention. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: Great. Thank you. Thank you very much, Seun. As you said, we still have to wait until the end of the public comment period and we would like to see more ALSes participating at these different discussions. There is still time to participate at the public comment period. We have another 24 days in order to comment on the PTI governance documents and the draft PTI Bylaws. Thank you very much, Seun. Thank you, Tijani and Mohamed for all the work you've done. So thank you once again.

---

We now have the CCWG, but seeing as Tijani is not with us this evening for reasons of force majeure, so we're going to skip this item and I'm now going to give the floor to Daniel Nanghaka so that he can present to us the AFRALO outreach strategy plan since he is a representative at [Istanbul]. I think he has some valuable information to share with us, so I'm now going to give the floor to Daniel. Daniel, you have two minutes.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Aziz, for the floor. As all the members may be aware, this [finishing] with our activities of engagement, we haven't yet made in a [slot] yet. But we have been trying to analyze the prospective activities which can be able to increase the AFRALO outreach within the regions. And one thing that we all realize is that most of the ALSes are Internet Society chapters and there is a very big event that is happening on the [inaudible] that is going to be in Cameroon. I think it's in September 28<sup>th</sup>. The dates have been finalized but the work space has not yet been set up. So that is the ISOC Community Forum which is bringing together all sectors around the world to Cameroon.

So this is going to be a very good opportunity for AFRALO to get engaged here, but as soon as the details are complete, we shall be able to proceed to the mailing list [based] that AFRALO can be able to have a potential representative. And also other activities that will be coming up in the nearby future is the AFRINIC meeting that will be taking place in Mauritius which every meeting has had at least an AFRALO representation. And then also the other that will coming in the year FY17 also includes the APRICOT Internet summit which we [have] to be engaged. And remember that in case you feel that there's an activity

---

which is going to bring in more visibility and attract more organizations to become ALSes, we are always welcome to bring it forth for discussions and we can see ways to be able to get engagement to those activities. We are welcome any questions to the AFRALO outreach strategy. Thank you. Back to you, Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Daniel. Are there any comments regarding what Daniel just presented? I think his idea is wonderful. The only problem we have, Daniel, is funding. Given that the [inaudible] have not been planned I'm not sure we will get funding in order to be able to complete this activity. Do you, Daniel, have any specific ideas on how to deal with this?

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you, Aziz. Since under CROPP, we have five slots and we haven't yet utilized all of them. I'm going to probably push it to the discussion list on how we can be able to utilize the CROPP slots respectively, basically can be able to maximize impacts. Thank you. Back to you, Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Daniel. In the absence of any hands raised, I suggest we move on to the next item. That is items for discussion. I would like us to discuss the call for volunteers published by the ALAC Chairs. Someone's asking for the floor? Michel. Is that you, Michel [inaudible]?

---

MICHEL TCHONANG: Yes, I think in technical terms we should perhaps think of the ALSes activities.

AZIZ HILALI: I'm sorry, what are you speaking about?

MICHEL TCHONANG: ALS's upcoming activities. That's what I would like to comment on. Have we discussed that?

AZIZ HILALI: Michel, we've already dealt with that item and are now discussing Daniel Nanghaka's ideas which is that we seize the ISOC chapters' meeting in Cameroon in order to carry out our outreach activities with those AFRALO ALSes which are ISOC chapters that will be attending the ISOC Summit. The question that I asked Daniel was how he thought we could deal with the funding issue.

MICHEL TCHONANG: Right. I'm sorry. I thought you were discussing ALS's activities.

AZIZ HILALI: No. I'm sorry, Michel. Thank you. I was discussing the call for volunteers that the RALO representatives within the Selection Committee that I presented and that Seun further explained. As you know, that call for volunteers is a call for different RALOs to appoint RALO representatives within ALAC. So the RALO representatives through the Selection

---

Committee cannot be ALAC members, which is just to say that Tijani and Seun cannot be volunteered to take this position.

If Barrack is with us, if he's still connected, I'm going to give the floor to Barrack, as I understand he has volunteered to be a representative of a RALO within the Selection Committee. May I remind you the Selection Committee is a group that will propose members for the ALT – the At-Large Leadership Team – that will be chaired by Alan Greenberg that will receive Statements of Interest for the different nominations that take place within ALAC. As you know, so far it was ALAC who decided who should chair [AC] and who the ALAC liaison to the GAC and to the GNSO and the CNSO would be. So we're now going to have a new Selection Committee that will decide on who should be a representative before these different SOs and ACs.

I would like to propose Barrack as a volunteer to represent our RALO within the Selection Committee. Barrack, can you hear me, and would you like to take the floor?

Barrack, I cannot hear you. This is the interpreter speaking.

Remember you can un-mute yourself with star 7.

BARRACK OTIENO: Hello.

AZIZ HILALI: Hi, we're waiting for Barrack.

BARRACK OTIENO: Hello, can you hear me?

AZIZ HILALI: Is that you, Barrack? Yes, I hear you.

BARRACK OTIENO: Thank you. I'm sorry, I was trying to speak but it seems I couldn't go through.

Thank you, Aziz. Yes, I confirm that I volunteered to be a member of that particular committee. Of course, I'm looking forward to further directives from the ALAC regarding the assignment, but just to say that in the spirit of involving the whole community as ALAC tries to do, I will try as much as possible to share input from an AFRALO perspective. So basically, I'm representing our RALO and as soon as we start meeting I will call upon members to contribute, and I encourage our members as well to come forward and offer themselves for this kind of important assignment that are coming up within ICANN ecosystem.

Hello?

CAMILA: Hi, we're just waiting for Aziz. I think he might be muted. This is the interpreter speaking.

---

BARRACK OTIENO:                    Okay.

AZIZ HILALI:                        I'm sorry. I was muted. I apologize. Barrack, thank you very much. As you say, the first directive of ALAC shall – based on that after ALAC's next meeting. We have entrusted you with this task. We are confident that you will respect and follow the group's will.

Moving on to the next item. We now have an activity that the staff has been in charge of. There will be two representatives for each RALO which will participate in the revision of the pilot program that shall deal with the leadership for AFRALO. I would like to ask Sarah to get involved so that she can get a grasp of what the Secretary's been doing. Would Sarah be willing to represent AFRALO at this group?

SARAH KIDEN:                        [inaudible].

AZIZ HILALI:                        Sarah, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN:                        Hi, this is Sarah. I will be [representing AFRALO]. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:                        Wonderful. Would anyone else like to collaborate with Sarah?

---

BARRACK OTIENO: I'm happy to do that.

AZIZ HILALI: Great. So Silvia, can you please take note of the fact that it will be Barrack and Sarah who will be representing AFRALO within the group, the name of which I cannot remember. IDPPPP Group, I think that's it. It's hard to say that name. I'm sure it will be hard for everyone to remember what the name of the group is.

It is the group which will deal with the document development, something – pilot program – something like that. I think it's 2 Ds, 3 Ps. Silvia, please help me out here. It was you who sent the document to us, who sent that e-mail. So can you please help us out. What does the name of the group stand for? What's the acronym?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. The name is the ICANN Community Document Development and Drafting Resource Pilot Program. It's quite a long name. I will put it on the chat so you can see it. There it is in the chat. You can see the wiki page which is open already. So I'm taking notes of the representatives. Thank you very much, Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI: Fatimata has just joined us, and we would like to thank you for being here, Fatimata. If you wish to take the floor, Fatimata, please let us know. Don't hesitate to do so.

---

We have one more item to deal with before the end of the call, that is the new applications for ALS. We had two applications that we are currently reviewing. Hold on, I'm looking for the name of the ALSes that have applied. Can you please help me out? This is the INTIC4DEV – ICT Institute for Development. That is one of the applications and we have recently received another ALS application that's from ISOC Guyana Chapter. So concerning the INTIC4DEV, we have already received an application and we've already gone through the due diligence.

There's a minor issue that we're trying to solve within AFRALO. We have already discussed this matter before. We have already discussed the issue with ALAC. The issue being the fact that ICANN created two civil society groups – one called EMPOC and the other called NCUC. The problem before us regarding the application of this ALS is the fact that this organization is an NCUC member already, and so we submitted the application to ALAC because I remind you that it is ALAC that decides ultimately on whether an ALS is accredited or not.

We have discussed the matter with ALAC. ALAC said, indeed there is an issue because it would be the same people participating within two different groups at ALAC and so they would have two votes, for instance. And so we have not been able to reach a decision thus far, and Tijani has been working on this application. I'm not sure who else might have read the application, whether Wafa, Seun, Tijani, Mohamed, Barrack, and myself. I have read it, but I would like to give the floor to the officers of AFRALO, having read the application.

Are there any comments regarding the due diligence alternatively? I would like to suggest, please hold on, Seun. I cannot interpret you both

---

at the same time. I would like to know what you think. I do not want to decide myself. I would like to hear everyone whom has something to say regarding this ALS's application, and regarding specifically the application for those who have read the application and the due diligence. Seun, I'm going to tell Aziz you wish to take the floor.

Great. Go ahead, Seun. You can go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

I think my view is of this particular application is that at the moment based on the process, there is nothing really barring or denying such application. Even though we recognize that this particular group exists in another constituency within ICANN, [inaudible] really nothing [potential] process [inaudible] rules that actually denies or disallows such application. And my candid opinion is that this application be granted. In the future, if we review our process we can always apply a similar process that will review that should come out the outcome of the process that will review, [inaudible] applying to all the ALSes and which will also affect this ALS if [inaudible] certified. So I think we should just allow the ALS application be granted, and then we can always review the rule in future and any rule that is subject to it will affect everybody. That's my view. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Seun. I'm not sure you understood what I said correctly. I didn't say we should reject this application. I just said we should discuss the issue with anyone wishing to participate and to exchange views with Tijani regarding the matter. I didn't say we should reject the application.

---

I just said we should refer the decision. I didn't say that it wasn't admissible either. What I just said, Seun, is that the due diligence has already been completed and that we have identified a number of conflicts regarding the application. So like I say, it is a valid application and it has been accepted. I just say we should perhaps wait until we can discuss the matter with Tijani. And I know Tijani has identified a number of [complaints] which are quite significant, and I'd like to ask the group whether you agree with the deferral of the decision. We could perhaps, if necessary, schedule a specific meeting so that we can discuss this application.

So like I say, if need be – and if you agree, Seun – maybe we should organize a special meeting to deal with this application. Do you agree?

SEUN OJEDEJI:

I don't know whether I didn't ask [inaudible], Aziz. I am not saying that I never implied that you already concluded that [you] should deny the application. I only just gave my view about what we should do with the application. I'm open and available for any meeting to discuss and I agree we should also hear from Tijani until we can move forward on this. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Seun. I would like to know if Daniel would like to take the floor.

---

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much. I agree that we should have a special meeting to discuss this application, because there is quite a number of issues.

AZIZ HILALI: Daniel, can you please start over? Because Aziz was speaking at the same time as you were to give you the floor.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Sorry. I'll wait for the floor.

AZIZ HILALI: No, that's okay. You have the floor now. Please start over.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you very much. I think that we should have a special meeting [based] that we can be able to hear the various feedback from Tijani, because this is also one of the issues that's been put forth for discussion and it wasn't concluded of whether the application should be granted or not. In case Tijani gives feedback on the application and [thus] you can be able to make a [consensus] decision on the ALSes. Thank you. Back to you, Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you. Barrack, you were asking for the floor?

---

BARRACK OTIENO:

Yes. I just wanted to support the proposal that Aziz has given, and also to note that I think it's a bigger problem within the ICANN ecosystem. Because you realize that most civil society organizations are within – a good number – are within the ALAC and RALO structures, and then you find that there's a new engagement strategy that is targeting a non-governmental organization and civil society organization and we still have the NCUC. So it would actually be a good idea to have a discussion so that we can be able to solve some of this conflicts that are coming up. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Absolutely. I entirely agree with you and I think we should deal with the matter. This is not a problem that's specific to AFRALO but it is also a problem specific to the other RALOs. And I think a common decision should be reached. I'm not saying we have already decided on the matter, but we are trying to move on as applications come in.

So to wrap up, since we're going to lose interpretation, I'm just saying we should discuss the matter. We should be whether or not it is acceptable for us to have organizations participate in different SOs. They might participate, but they cannot vote at two different SOs.

We are going to finish now because Camila has to go. I would like to thank her for having stayed with us. And as you know, there's usually two interpreters and she's been working alone this evening. Thank you all for having participated in this meeting. Thank you all for having contributed. Thank you members of staff. Thank you, Gisella, Silvia,

---

Heidi, for all your work. We'll see you again in September. I wish you wonderful holidays if you're going away. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you for attending this evening's meeting. Have great holidays. Have a great summer. And we'll see you again in September. Thank you for attending the meeting and talk to you soon.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]