

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay, we'll get the recording now officially started. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC Leadership Team Pre-ICANN 56 Helsinki Briefing, on Monday, the 20<sup>th</sup> of June, at 20:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Alan Greenberg, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Holly Raiche, León Sanchez, Julie Hammer, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Ron Sherwood.

Apologies noted from Maureen Hilyard.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, Yeşim Nazlar, and myself, Gisella Gruber. Cheryl Langdon-Orr will be joining us momentarily. And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes.

Thank you, and over to you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much, Gisella. This call is on the calendar schedule for 90 minutes. In the agenda, it is 80. And I fully admit, I have no idea how long it will last. I'm always optimistic we'll end early, but we'll see.

The first item is policy and the policy activities. I wasn't actually planning to have this item on today's agenda for expediency, but there have been a number of new comments issued, and I thought we should take the time to quickly see if we can make any decisions on any of them.

Ariel, if you could go over the ones that are either in a problem state that need some action, or the new ones, please.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Alan. There is one public comment that will end very soon. It's on the revisions to ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior. It will end on June the 25<sup>th</sup>. And León volunteered to draft a statement. So we haven't got any update on that yet. So, León, do you have any updates on this public comment?

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Thank you, Ariel. Yes, I will have something ready by tonight my time, and I will send it to you and, of course, upload it to the wiki page.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you so much, León.

ALAN GREENBERG: León, based on the comments received, do you think what we're going to have is controversial? I would have hoped this whole thing was not going to be, but...

LEÓN SANCHEZ: I will –

ALAN GREENBERG: Have we lost León?

---

LEÓN SANCHEZ: No, I'm here. I'm here.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right, now we can hear you.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Okay. So as I was saying, I will try to draft something that's not controversial and that, of course, takes into account the different comments that have been received on the subject.

ALAN GREENBERG: As far as I can tell, at least when I last read them, it was largely an issue of people pointing out there is other stuff to be done too, but not really being negative about the actual revision of the Code of Conduct or Expected Standards of Behavior. Is that correct?

LEÓN SANCHEZ: That is the same impression that I have.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, good. So to the extent we say there is other work to be done, but we are giving a nod of approval to the actual text proposed.

Okay, thank you. Ariel, back to you.

---

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Alan. The next one that will close very soon is the request for input from the rights protection mechanisms in all gTLDs to be through working groups. And, Alan, you are going to draft a statement. And just as reminder, this closes July the 5<sup>th</sup>.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I did take a look at that. The document they produced is somewhat overwhelming. They've actually asked for answers to about 175 questions. I'm exaggerating slightly, but only slightly. My plan is not to answer those questions, but to give a very generic statement, essentially saying, "At-Large has always been interested in rights protection where it acts as a protection or minimizes confusion for users." We have a little bit of an issue working about the trademark clearinghouse notices that something that's protected acting as an inhibitor to people registering marks if there's overlap. But other than that, I don't think we're going to say an awful lot. That essentially was the limit of what we said in the earlier rounds, and I think we'll take a similar position here. But I will be going through the documents and proposing something.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Alan. I see Olivier has raised his hand.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Ariel. Alan, I was going to ask, I had a very brief look at this – very brief. You mention 150 questions. I just saw three questions in the actual consultation. The 150 might have been the 150

---

issues, list of potential issues for this PDP. But I guess that's the overall staff issues report, which is the PDP thing.

What they're asking, basically, is, "What are your general views, concerns, and questions on the RPMs listed in phase 1?" Question 2, "What issues concerning phase 1 RPMs are the most relevant to your work?" And the [phase] 3 is, "What questions and specific data points would you advise on the working group to pursue this data-gathering effort?" Will you be answering these questions?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Maybe you took a more detailed look at it than I did. I thought I saw a reference to the questions in the Charter that apply to the specific three protection mechanisms. And maybe I misread that, so I'll take it under advisement.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

They were looking at the issues report itself. And I agree with you, going through the whole list of that is impossible.

ALAN GREENBERG:

You're welcome to take this on in my place, if you like.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Oh, no, thank you. Thanks, Alan.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Ariel, back to you.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, Alan. We have a number of public comments that require decision from the ALAC. The first one is on the draft Restated Articles of Incorporation. And Olivier sent a message on the issues mailing list, asking for comments. And only Eduardo replied. And I don't really see much traction on this public comment. And then the close date is July the 6<sup>th</sup>.

ALAN GREENBERG: Why don't we make a note to bring it up under some miscellaneous category in Helsinki? I'm sure we're not going to do anything, but it's easier to reach closure in front of everyone if someone has actually made comments. So let's make a note that we should bring it up sometime in Helsinki. And between Heidi and I, we'll try to figure out when to put it. So put an action item for that.

Next item?

ARIEL LIANG: Olivier raised his hand.

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought that was an old hand. But go ahead, Olivier.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Alan. Yes, I put it down, and then I put it up again just to confuse you. It was just for this. My feeling on this one is that we're talking here with – they're not actually Bylaws. They're the Articles of Incorporation. I really don't know if there's much for us to say in this. And that was the gist of my message, trying to see if anybody was interested in looking at these. There's nothing really that stands out that would affect us, as end users.

I can certainly see this going into the Work Stream 2 discussions of jurisdiction at some point. But right now, do we really want to spend time on this? I don't know.

ARIEL LIANG: Olivier, that was exactly my feeling when I said, just to cover ourselves, you should send out a note. So I think the answer is a given, but let's not agonize over it today. We have other things to talk about.

Next item is the RZERC Charter. And I put that in the same category. There's an infinite amount of work that is being done on it. I really don't think there's a lot that concerns the end user or users. And as the person who ran the original drafting team, I certainly have put a lot of time into it. I can't see the ALAC commenting on it, but let's put it into the same category as the other one and get closure in Helsinki.

Ariel, back to you.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Alan. The next one is the proposed amendments to Base New gTLDs Registry Agreements. In fact, we have a lot of discussion about

---

this on the At-Large mailing list and the registration issues mailing list. And the close date is July the 13<sup>th</sup>.

Alan, have you seen the discussion on this? I think you actually [inaudible] in it.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I did on the ALAC mailing list. I don't recall it on the registration mailing list. Maybe I'm not a member of that group, or maybe I just didn't notice it. Was there anything substantive raised in concerns?

ARIEL LIANG:

So I think when Evan and [Scott] discussed this in public comment, they said the whole process seems to be arbitrary. It seems to be something only ICANN staff and the Registry Stakeholder Group discuss this agreement and it was not consulted widely to the public. And I think they had a main issue on that. And then I asked the support staff their feedback on this, and then they said it's actually that was based on the rule. And it's not something can be arbitrary done between staff and the Registry Stakeholder Group. Since then, I didn't really receive any response after that.

And then when Carlton reviewed the public comment, and he said there is not much to say from At-Large part. And he thinks all these proposed amendments seem to make sense. So that's my impression.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: So in summary, we might be prompted to make a comment saying, “We believe the process should have been more transparent. It’s been going on for three years, according to the preamble. And there should have been a head’s up that it was going on. But other than that, on the substance, we have no particular comment.” That seems to be the gist of it. Is that correct?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes, that’s correct. And the issue, based on the support staff feedback, it’s not really a matter of transparency. It’s actually done based on the rule. And when they said they’re going to propose amendments, it should be done between just ICANN staff and the Registry Stakeholder Group. So it’s not done intentionally to avoid consultation with the public.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just to be clear, I didn’t say they violated rules. I said there are people who have concerns that the process should have been more open. Again, put it onto the agenda for Helsinki. That sounds like one that we either may make a comment on or not.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Next. Please ignore the ringing. Just go ahead.

---

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. Thank you. The next public comment is on the reference Label Generation Ruleset for the second level. And the close date is July the 18<sup>th</sup>. And it's just opened, so we haven't got much discussion yet. But I sent the public comment to the IDN Policy Working Group, because nobody responded yet.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. And I suspect we will not have one. And the Fellowship application process is the last one, and I presume we will be making a comment on that. Can you put that also on the agenda for discussion in Helsinki?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

ARIEL LIANG: And that's all for the public comment.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Item number 4 is ICANN 56. And we have a large number of items to talk about here. The first one is the review of the ALAC/At-Large agendas. I'll turn it over to Heidi or Gisella. I don't know who's

---

going to do it. Let us not spend time focusing on the details of the At-Large Leadership sessions, because that's in item B.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, did you want to go over the schedule first, or did you want to focus just on the meeting? Because that would depend on who responds first.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know what you mean by "the schedule" or "the meeting."

HEIDI ULLRICH: So the schedule simply means which meeting, which day, which time. The agendas are the actual content of those meetings.

ALAN GREENBERG: The content of the At-Large Leadership sessions, which is a subset of all ALAC/At-Large sessions, we'll discuss under item B.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I'm aware of that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Everything else, we're discussing now.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Again, you just want the agendas of all those meetings, not the day or the times? We're just going to go through the agendas of the ALAC meetings?

ALAN GREENBERG: I assume we're going to go through Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and say what's going on, or to whatever extent you want to say anything. This is your section.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Let's just go through. We'll start on Monday. I'm just going to highlight the major points. We have a 30-minute session update on CCWG face-to-face and next steps. León said that was a good time, I believe, while Tijani raised some issues that that was a little bit too short of time.

Any comments there?

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, hold on a second. Maybe we are still – I'm trying to get the right agenda up on my screen. Okay. What we are talking about right now is everything but the internal agendas for the At-Large Leadership working sessions and wrap-up sessions. So we are not talking about how those sessions are broken down.

Heidi, if you look at the attachment for item B.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, Alan, just to confirm that, when you say, “leadership,” we’re not talking ALT. This is a new name –

ALAN GREENBERG: A new name that we invented, At-Large Leadership.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct, okay. So you do not want to go over these agendas?

ALAN GREENBERG: I do under item B.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Well, under the other agendas, basically, we’ve reached out the RALOs. We’ve reached out to the working groups. They’re pretty much all complete. We just received the agenda from the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement. Sorry, under the bottom – I thought we were going to go through ALAC. So if you want to skip to session item B, that’s fine.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Let’s switch A and B. Can we have the document for item B up on the screen, please?

HEIDI ULLRICH: So just to answer Olivier’s question in the chat whether we have an overall schedule, how do you want to approach this? First do the actual

---

schedule, which meetings, when and where, that has been completed several weeks ago. What we've now, we've posted them onto the Helsinki workspace, and we've worked on the agendas. Okay, Olivier? By this time, please, your resource should be that workspace now.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Except that for the easy review of the agendas, I have extracted all of the items on that workspace into one sheet so that everyone can see them in a single page. And that's what's on the screen right now. If you could give us control, so people can enlarge it? Thank you.

All right. Heidi, if we can now do it, and I believe this should correspond. This was taken off of the agendas just as you sent them for translation. So they should match, as far as I know, unless you've made other changes since then.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. So you want to go through the schedules? The title is incorrect. You named it "Agendas and Content," okay? And this is the schedule.

ALAN GREENBERG:

The title of this document?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

You want to go through this page. Is that correct?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, and that is what you were calling agendas, I believe.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, that's what someone is calling agendas. I call this a schedule. Sorry. It's American-British.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can I go crawl away, please? I would like to talk right now about what the ALAC and the regional leaders will be talking about and how [crosstalk].

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would like to do that as well.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right, and I don't care what we call it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Gisella, could you please put up what you had before? That is Monday, day 1? Sorry everyone. I think it's British-American.

GISELLA GRUBER: And the British [inaudible] person will bring back on...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you so much. Okay. Alan, may we proceed?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't really know at this point. I thought the content of these two items is the same, just the format is different. But go ahead, and I will interject if I feel necessary.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So this is basically the topics, the agendas of what we are talking about in the various meetings. So may we begin with Monday, 9:15 to 10:30, which is the first time that everyone is going to meet as ALAC and the regional leadership. Okay? So again, we have 30 minutes to update everyone on the CCWG face-to-face that is taking place on this Sunday. Then you'll see that every day, we've added a little bit of time – it varies a bit – to prepare for those afternoon cross-community discussions. On Monday, I'm going to divide that, first up to the discussions with the [activity] NextGen and Fellows. Actually, no, Fellows is correct, because ALAC will not be meeting with NextGen. And then item 3b is the cross-community discussions, which will be [inaudible] cross-community working, [next generation] directory services and then a review of rights protection. Those are the two that will be discussed under that session.

Any questions there? Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't see any hands up.



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Then, let's see, next session, we spend the entire session, 10:45 to 12:00 –

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, hold on. On the CCWG update, Tijani had said he didn't think that was enough time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: Is that a strong feeling or not? As far as I'm concerned, it's not a time-critical items, and there should be plenty of overflow time later in the week, if indeed we run out of time on this one. So I'm inclined to leave that as it is. Otherwise, it means shrinking the amount of time for the prep sessions for the Fellows and the cross-community.

Hearing no voices, seeing no hands, Heidi, go back to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you. So continuing, Monday, the next session, 10:45 to 12:00, the full session will be on ALS criteria and expectations. It includes a 15-minute update by Natalie and Ariel on the ALS application.

Okay, I don't see any hands.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: We just got scrolling capability, so no one else could have looked at it until now. Let's give people a moment.

All right, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Next session, that's the actual outreach – I'll just do the ALAC ones, Alan, or do you want me to do the other ones as well?

ALAN GREENBERG: Whatever you choose, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: In the interest of time, I'll just skip. Then we'll have, in the afternoon, 12:30 to 13:30, there is the ALAC Leadership Team with the GAC. That will be in Restaurant Hall 1. I believe lunch will be served there. And the agenda is as you see it. And I don't know if, at this point, there's going to be the issue of the liaisons.

Alan, do you want to comment on that?

ALAN GREENBERG: There's no real comment to make on that at this point. We'll discuss that later in the agenda.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Okay.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: We have Olivier's hand up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, thanks, Alan. The question, just before here, on the 10:45 to 12:00 session, that's a 75-minute session. I see here, ALS criteria and expectation, 10:45 to 12:00. And in there, it says, "ALS application update." That's 15 minutes within the ALS criteria. So we have 15 minutes on this and one-hour discussion, ALS criteria and expectations. Is that correct?

ALAN GREENBERG: That is correct.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. Basically, that is within the ALS criteria and expectations. I just wanted to set a little bit of time, anyplace in that discussion, for that presentation.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, the session title should technically... When the session was scheduled, it was the "ALS Criteria and Expectations." Natalie came in and said she wanted 15 minutes, which means the session should have been renamed "ALS Review Task Force, Please be Flexible."

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So then moving on, in the afternoon, the second Outreach and Engagement session, which the ALAC is invited to, is with the Fellows. And this, again, follows directly on the overview that they will be giving to the NextGen. This will be with the Fellows. So there's a full agenda there. Keep in mind that there will only be about four or five Fellows that fit into At-Large. So there's not going to be a huge group of people there.

ALAN GREENBERG: For clarity, Heidi, you said the ALAC is invited to it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. This is an ALAC [crosstalk] –

ALAN GREENBERG: Does that mean they can come if they feel like it, or is this a mandatory session?

HEIDI ULLRICH: My understanding was that it was mandatory.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then we shouldn't use the term "invited."

HEIDI ULLRICH: They are asked to be there, yes. Okay, any questions on that?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: What about regional leaders? They are also expected to be there?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Yes, we can [crosstalk] –

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Let's make sure the wording is clear then. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, let's move to Tuesday, if there are no questions. So Tuesday, Olivier, you start the day off with the EURALO General Assembly. That's in two parts. Several guest speakers are invited to that. We are also going to have separate folders for EURALO, for people who are coming to that EURALO meeting.

Then we have 10:45 to 12:30, the At-Large Leadership work session. That is going to focus on three points. One is 45 minutes, ROP update and next steps, followed by 30 minutes of new ICANN Bylaws and implications for the ALAC.

And, Alan, again, the RALO Chairs will be getting some information during our Sunday sessions or [inaudible]?

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, on the – excuse me, Heidi. On the Rules of Procedure session, has anyone gotten any feedback that there is anything that is going to be

---

controversial? I've sent out several notices. And at this point, we've got nothing back. Is there anyone here who has any insight as to what might be controversial? We obviously have the one clause that we have to decide on. It looks like we're coming to closure on that one. But regardless, we may need to have a discussion, and maybe even a vote or a straw poll on that.

Other than that one item, is there any indication that we have any problems? This is not going to be a good opportunity to do wordsmithing of Rules of Procedure, and we do want them passed. So we don't want to defer them to another day or another week. So if anyone gets any feeling that there's going to be anything controversial, let's get it raised and discussed beforehand.

I see no hands and hear no voices, so I'll be optimistic. But let's go ahead. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Alan. So again, there will be more information provided on that Sunday afternoon session.

Okay, then there's the At-Large Regional Leadership. That is 13:30 to 15:00. A lot of that will be talking about this new program, the Document Development Pilot Program. Dan O'Neill, who's the main consultant on that, he will be there, as well as Rob Hoggarth. So that will be a very good opportunity for the RALOs to hear more about that. There's also some issues for the fiscal year '17 that is in that meeting.

---

Okay, then we have the 13:30 to 15:00, same time, is the ALAC and IPC meeting. And that one is – Alan, I just wanted to check on the agenda for that. There's basically just that one point. Is that correct? And that point is discussion of WHOIS/registration data services.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm sorry, I've gotten lost. I was making a note on the Rules of Procedure one on my docs. Ask the question again, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Basically, for the agenda for the ALAC meeting with the IPC on Tuesday, right now there's basically one agenda item, and that isn't very substantive.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I believe there are two. Greg has not answered me, and we'll simply proceed on the assumption that there are two. One is the WHOIS/RDS, and the other is New gTLD.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Should we add that then, New gTLD?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, please. If it changes, it changes. But add it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I'll make a point of that. Thank you.

---

Cheryl, is that a question, or Holly?

Okay. Then the cross-community sessions on Tuesday, the first one will be charter for the CCWG on auction proceeds. And the second one will be the New gTLD subsequent procedures, followed by another meeting at the same time, operational planning session.

Okay, in the evening, there's the President and CEO reception at the same time as the joint EURALO civil society networking event.

ALAN GREENBERG: What is the cross-community operational planning session?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, could you find the details on that? There's a link to that. Let's take a look.

GISELLA GRUBER: Heidi and Alan, yes, I'll get to the details immediately. It's a session run by Bart, I think.

HEIDI ULLRICH: [crosstalk]

ALAN GREENBERG: By who, sorry?



---

GISELLA GRUBER: Bart Boswinkel.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Grace is the staff leader on that. Oh, you're looking at – okay, I'm looking at the wrong one.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, the way the new schedule comes up, even if I put the link in the chat for you, it doesn't have the node links like before. So you've just go to scroll down to the session.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can you read it to us?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, just bear with me for a second. "Operational side of ICANN's Ops Plan and budget." Staff leader is Bart Boswinkel. And that's all there is.

ALAN GREENBERG: That makes it really easy for people to decide whether to go to it or not. All right, let's go ahead. Can someone do a [back] channel, not for this meeting, but in general, that perhaps someone should flesh that out if they want anyone to attend?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just a thought on that one. The ccNSO Operational Planning Group has worked for nigh on a decade now on this. And that smacks strongly of the work they've done, which has been instrumental, along with the work, of course, we've done, Alan, and of course the GNSO, to get with finance and budget and ops planning to where it is today. So it may be one of those ccNSO longstanding working groups that they're running as a public interaction session so that the rest of us can see what the hell they've been on about for years and years. It just strikes me that that's what it might resonating as, anyway.

ALAN GREENBERG: That is sort of what it says. It says, "Bart started working for ICANN in October 2005 and currently serves as Director, where he is responsible for working with the ccNSO on policy and related" – oh, sorry, that's a description of Bart. But it matches what you were just saying.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. I'm psychic.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, sorry, I'm being distracted by all the pictures that now float below each session, just like at an IGF. Go ahead.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just on that point, again, there's going to be a session on Thursday afternoon where all of these very valuable comments on all of this, we'll have a chance to discuss them. So just basically how ICANN 56 went. And all of this might be useful feedback.

ALAN GREENBERG: I suspect that [inaudible] like myself should avoid this session.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan [inaudible] in a bar somewhere.

ALAN GREENBERG: That sounds like it may be more useful.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay [inaudible] echo.

ALAN GREENBERG: Really [inaudible]. Let's hope the echo is gone. It is not. Could we have someone try to mute somebody?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm muted. I just unmuted to tell you I'm muted.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: [inaudible] I will keep talking until the echo stops. It has not stopped yet. Will it ever stop? What if we adjourn the session?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: There we go.

ALAN GREENBERG: No echo. Heidi, back to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Okay, we are on Wednesday now, if the agenda could be updated in [AC please]?

So Wednesday, we start off the day with ALAC At-Large Leadership work session. And that whole session, one hour, 8:00 to 9:00, will be focused on the ALAC appointee selection process. And there will be discussion and decision.

I'll move on until I hear any people shouting. Next, from 9:15 to 10:30, is another At-Large Leadership work session. This one has two items. The first one is At-Large fiscal year '17 special requests. We are going to be inviting [Rock Holder] to that. But I think that one is basically what we did in Buenos Aires, where we go through all of the decisions and there's an implementation [workspace] now available. And we will go through who will be leading that, materials likely required, etc. And that's why there's 45 minutes dedicated to that, because that will really allow us to get a good start on implementing those.

---

And then we have 30 minutes of working group revitalization.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, Heidi, on that one, can you make sure, number one, there is a document that gets distributed with all of the work groups that we want to discuss and what we're recommending or what we want to discuss for each of them? And can you pass that by the ALT first before it becomes a public document?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I'll work with you on that. Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Presumably from Maureen, but she's not on the call right now.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Okay, thank you. Then, let's see, we have the actual working group meeting with At-Large Outreach and Engagement. It's with the Fellowship and outreach activities for ICANN 57. And I'm aware that APRALO will be meeting informally, hopefully prior to this meeting, so they'll have some feedback on what they're planning.

Then there's an At-Large Review Working Party with me and Cheryl, and I believe some people – in fact, I'm sure people from ITEMS will be there. And we do have an agenda. We'll be posting that shortly.

---

Then we have the joint AFRALO-AfriCANN meeting. And that discussion will be on the IANA stewardship transition and ICANN accountability. And we have several [inaudible] people invited to that.

And at the same time, running in parallel is the NARALO monthly session. And they're discussing CROPP issues. And I believe their initial plan is for a General Assembly.

And in the afternoon, 15:15 to 16:45, we have the At-Large review and update. And it makes sense, for those who are not going to be at the working party session, then we have the At-Large Director kickoff. That is 30 minutes.

ALAN GREENBERG:

All right, I'd like to stop on that one for a moment. One of the things we're going to have to decide at that meeting, either decide or come very close to deciding, is who is going to be chairing the BCEC and the BMSPC. Now, in our first round, Cheryl was Chair, and she chaired both of those groups. Last time around, Olivier was Chair, and he chose not to chair either of them. And I'd like a bit of a discussion, now or under any other business, depending on whether people are prepared to do it this very moment. I know Holly is going to be gone for any other business, which is why I'm bringing it up now. And are there any strong feelings? I know there are some strong feelings.

I'm prepared to be considered for both. I'm not adamant to be in either or both positions. I will not be running in this election. And therefore, I am certainly eligible. But I'd like to hear pros and cons, and I would mind if Cheryl and Olivier spoke up as to their feelings as to who should

---

be chairing these groups and who should not be chairing them. If either of those have any opinions?

We may want to note this as a record, the first time that Olivier and Cheryl have not had opinions on anything. This is highly unusual.

Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. I'm not really sure what to say on this. There is selection process. The reason why I didn't want to be involved with them when I was Chair was because I guess we had some good selection. I was lucky enough to have some good people on the [Next Com] or ALT that were able to take part into these things. So it's nothing specific of saying, "Well, I didn't want to be part of it because of X, Y, and Z."

But it does look good when you do share tasks across many people, and there are some concerns that I had heard about having the Chair of the ALAC chair these things and that if that person is involved in any way in the selection process, or even the process to design the process. There are some voices within At-Large that would say, "Well, they're just trying to turn things because they want to be reelected or selected themselves to be on the Board or play the game and turn the game their way so that it benefits them, rather than others." Some people do see this as [inaudible]. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl, any input?

---

Anyone else have any input?

Tijani, I know you do have some thoughts on this.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, may I speak?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, please, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Alan. I think that what was done, we have two experiences. And both went very well. I didn't feel or I didn't see that there is any contention, any problem doing both selections.

The merit of the second one – no, not the merit. What Olivier just said is someone that I also heard. So perhaps it is the benefit of not [inaudible] but the benefit of closing the mouth of the bad people is to have those two committees and have volunteers to share them. And the Chair of ALAC can be one of the volunteers.

So in my point of view, the best is to have people who are more or less not involved at any kind of involvement in the selection and not a candidate or not supporting clearly people, etc., etc. But if the Chair of ALAC wants to be a Chair of one of them – and I prefer that it is one of them, not both – I would prefer that he will be on the BCEC. Thank you.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Cheryl, Gisella says you are now unmuted.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I would have hoped I was unmuted the whole time, since I mute my own side. Can you hear me now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, we can hear you very well, actually.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I even resorted to changing handsets so I could stop screaming at you all, “I have an opinion!” How could I not have an opinion?

I think the difference between how Olivier managed it and how I managed it also needs to put in the historical/hysterical context. And I do mean hysterical. When I did it, I personally basically couldn't give a damn which of the quality people who came out of the process at the end actually got through, because it was a matter of proof of concept of the concept. And if we got a lemon, we got a lemon. And if we got a fantastic outcome, well, so be it. And I was happy to do it that way because I needed to make sure – and I believe the ALAC supported me in that, at least at the time – that what we needed was absolute following of the due process, that we had very hard won through community consultation. So it was a matter of being extraordinarily tight and focused on how the community agreed it would be done. And there were far misinterpretations or downright biases if we went further afield than someone who [inaudible] was Chair of the ALAC. And the outcome was less important to me. Believe me, it was less

---

important to me. I didn't think we should have a Director. I was more than happy – and still am, for the record – to have a liaison.

Now, with Olivier's situation, vastly different. And he outlined why some of positions went that way. But it's interesting that one of the concerns he had, apart from being more democratic than I'll ever accused of being, he also felt there was some concern as the opportunity to self-manipulation, etc. It should be noted, I think, that at no time have we had a Chair of [any group], BCEC or ABSET, that was going to be running or in a position to go for the jobs themselves. I think that's pretty important to remind the audience [inaudible] that by taking on these chairing roles of either, let alone both, you have to be absolutely uninterested in your own self-furtherment for such a position.

Now that being the case, Alan, you just said that you weren't running for election on this. And I think that means that if there is one of the committees that needs a tighter hand, a closer commitment, and a better working knowledge of the new process and protocols, you would be well-advised to put yourself forward for at least that role. I don't think you need to do both. I agree with Tijani on that. I think I did both because at the time, it was just too new and too untested waters. Now we know the boat floats, and it probably won't run screaming into the [wolves] regardless of what we do with it. And that was proved through the last run through, although it had a few hiccups, which we've made the changes necessary. So I'd be more interested in making sure that whomever is in charge of the process has a demonstrable close understanding and working knowledge of the new processes than anything else. Thanks.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Cheryl. Anyone else want to comment now? I'll certainly be talking to people privately about this whole thing, but let's get any other comments out in the open quickly as we can. We're going to be careful if we're not going to run short of time. So try to keep it slightly brief.

Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Alan. Very briefly here, I'm not asking you, I'm just asking you here to consider it and to think about it, and perhaps keep this in mind when you discuss this with other people. The current Board member will be evaluated as well by the Board in the 360, and traditionally is the ALAC Chair that would be given the information if that person agrees to sharing their 360 with their own constituency or community.

So in that way, there is no process by which this information could then be disseminated to whoever it is that would make the voting. But there might be a process in a smaller – because it is confidential information – in a smaller setting of a candidate evaluation committee to be able to share that information, which means that one way or another, there would be... Well, the Chair of the ALAC might need to be a channel in there somehow.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I wouldn't particularly worry about that at this point. I suspect that when the evaluation is done, we will probably be given the ability

---

to share it with whoever is necessary. But I will not presume that the evaluation will be done in time for the BCEC to do its work. Hopefully, it'll be done in time for the actual election. But they gear this not off of the schedule that we're building, but off of the more generic one. So that's...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think we need to work very hard with whomever it is on the Board, just as I did when I was Chair of the Nominating Committee, to make sure that any evaluation of the existing Board member is done in advance or in deed. And I would be surprised if she didn't agree with it. That de facto form of evaluation – in Asia-Pacific, we're pretty used to putting ourselves on the grill, so don't be so worried about that – is done in time for the BCEC. Because unless the BCEC can rest assured that indeed the existing candidate is worthy of continuing, they're not even in the race. So having it ready for the electorate is, frankly, not worth a damn.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl, noted. And it's on my list to bring up with Steve when I meet with him. But they do hire an external firm, and it is a relatively formal process.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I understand that. I've been through it. And to that extent, it's easy enough to order who does what, when. And Steve just needs to be told why it's important. If they actually want the person even to be considered, it needs to be in the hands of the ALAC Chair so it can be [set] into the BCEC and really enough time. Otherwise, we may as well just call everything term limited by one term.

ALAN GREENBERG: Understood. Not under our control, but I understand what we want.

All right. I will be talking to people individually. When I say, "talking," I'm not talking about advice whether I should run. I'm talking about other suggestions for other names of good candidates for these positions. And again, I don't want to do this in a public meeting, but I will be asking people individually. So if you have any thoughts about someone, then be prepared.

Heidi, back to you for the work. And I'm afraid we are going to run short of time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I'll go very quickly.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: So, please, quickly.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Basically, we're at Wednesday afternoon. So we have, after that session, we have 30 minutes for just an open policy discussion. So there's some room for some things to be placed there.

Then the Wednesday afternoon cross-community discussions are on, first, the country and other geographic names forum. Cheryl, there was a question there. You will likely want to go to that. But at the same time, there is the session at the same, is the At-Large working session that has the At-Large review. So if you can let us know if you can [crosstalk] –

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, I am chairing the other session, so you'll know where I'll be.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So that's just really bad planning.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm actually chairing the geographic names session. That's the prep meeting I was just at, at the beginning of this meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Would you like to move that [crosstalk]?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm presenting at the cross-community session with the New gTLD subsequent procedures, and I'm chairing the geo names one.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. We will see if we can reschedule that one for another day or another time.

Okay, and then the other cross-community session is the draft framework and principles for future CCWGs.

Okay, moving to Thursday.

ALAN GREENBERG: Let's take a quick poll. Would people prefer if we had our working session in parallel with that session, the framework? Show of hands, call out? Anyone want to say no?

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It's the least of my cross commitments, but of course I am also part of the framework.

ALAN GREENBERG: As am I. No. No, don't do it, Tijani, or, No, you have no problem with it?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, don't do it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Don't do it. All right, we have two people, 2 ½ people, who say don't do it. We will somehow have to figure out how to – but that implies, if we have the At-Large Leadership session, that other than Cheryl, most people will not be in the geographic names forum. They will be in the working session.

Jimmy, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

Cannot hear you, Jimmy.

Jimmy has put his hand down. Jimmy, all right.

So I hear no one else saying, no, they have a conflict. So that means most of us will not be at the country and geographic names session.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's really disappointing, guys.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: It is disappointing. We'll see if we can work around it, but at this point –

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: This is not just a presentation. This is a community discussion Q&A. And to not have – well, all we have there then is the GAC, which will be there in full, the GNSO, and the ccNSO. So anyway.

ALAN GREENBERG: We'll see what we can do.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I will be at the geographic session.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [crosstalk]

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I will be in the geographic region session.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right, Heidi, we have some work to do to see if we can move all or part of that 90-minute session. It's not going to be easy.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Okay. Yeah, I don't think that's going to be easy at all. We've gone over this schedule many times, so I don't think at this stage we can do that. But...

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, we will have to do some work on it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. We will try our best. And let's continue. Let's move to Thursday. It starts off at 8:00 to 9:00 with, Tijani, your At-Large Capacity Working Group –

ALAN GREENBERG: Can we have the document in the [pod] updated, please, first? Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Okay, moving on, then at the same time is the At-Large Technology Taskforce. Then we have the At-Large Leadership work session. That is 9:15 to 10:30, and that will be with Rinalia for 30 minutes, followed by policy discussion for 45 minutes. So we could move – there's some scheduling possibilities. So, Alan, we can discuss that.

Then we have the first wrap-up session. And this one starts off with a joint discussion with Göran, Steve, and David. And then that's 30 minutes. But again [crosstalk] –

---

ALAN GREENBERG: The two items currently on the agenda for that are?

HEIDI ULLRICH: For this one?

ALAN GREENBERG: It's on today's agenda.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have two items that we've proposed. One is compliance and consumer issues. And that includes the Consumer Safeguards Director. And the second one is the general issue of ICANN staff transparency, who makes decisions, appeal processes, reporting structure. This is essentially a preamble to one of the CCWG Work Stream 2 issues, but from an At-Large perspective. And I will be asking people to come up with examples of issues that they may want to raise, not to fix the problem, but to give examples of the kinds of things that happen currently within ICANN staff.

I haven't heard any other suggestions for topics. There's still an opportunity to add something, if we really need it. But people need to speak up quickly.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, Alan, continue?

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That one is currently for 30 minutes. I have signaled to [Katja], Göran's PA, that is he able to extend a little bit? And, yes, he has a little bit [inaudible] there, so we may keep maybe a few minutes, but we'll see. Then followed by that, we have reports for liaisons and RALO Chairs, and just a really quick review of ALAC action items.

Then we have a break for one hour. Then we come back for the final wrap-up session, part 2. And that's going to be the issues of ICANN 56 review, 30 minutes for that; review of the ALAC –

ALAN GREENBERG: Just for clarity, the ICANN 56 review essentially is an ALAC-wide post mortem, was this a good meeting? What did we mess up? What should we do better or differently next time?

Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct, Alan. Actually, the final cross-community session in the afternoon is on just that point, so that's good for prep there.

---

Then we have a review of the ALAC, 14:00 to 14:30. Then decisions to be taken for 20 minutes. Then, finally, a ten-minute Chair's announcement.

And then just the first cross-community discussion will be on workload scheduling and management.

Alan, I think that is it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Question? Comments?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, two points. First of all, I ask to include the dual affiliation or dual membership of ALSes as members of RALOs. And I don't see it in this program.

ALAN GREENBERG: I was assuming that we would do that under the ALS criteria and expectations.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It's not exactly that, because it might be an individual member. And so I think it is a problem that we need to address now, because we have complete cases that we need to deal with. And I think it's time to discuss it.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. How much time do you think we need to allow? At this time, we have a negative amount of free time because of the changes that we're suggesting on Wednesday afternoon. How much time do you think we need for this?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think not more than 30 minutes.

ALAN GREENBERG: 30 is going to be hard. We'll see what we can do.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Second point, I have heard several times that we will speak about the FY17 special request. Is it to speak about the General Assemblies, EURALO will have their General Assembly?

ALAN GREENBERG: It includes that.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Because I don't think we need to perhaps discuss it, because we spoke about it early. And then we didn't speak about it. I think we have to discuss it again so that we come up with a good solution that will be accepted by everyone.

ALAN GREENBERG: We hope to have a solution that will be accepted by everyone. It will be discussed as necessary under the fiscal year '17 requests.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm optimistic it will not have to be a long discussion.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I hope so.

ALAN GREENBERG: But I never make predictions about anything, certainly not meeting lengths, these days either. Noted though. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I just wanted to say, did you want to add that item under that ALS criteria and expectations then?

ALAN GREENBERG: I've made a note that's one of the items we need to discuss.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. All right, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't think we can solve all the problems on this meeting and end it anywhere near the right time. And I do have meetings following this.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. That is it for the schedule, formal meetings.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Heidi, do you remember what – I know I gave you the words, but I, for the life of me, cannot remember what I meant by item 2 on Thursday, saying, "Review of ALAC." I know we discussed it, and I know it isn't the ALAC review.



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, I think it was [crosstalk] –

ALAN GREENBERG: But I cannot remember what it meant.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. I can look in our chat, but I think, if I remember correctly, that it was basically and overall review of how the ALAC is doing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: It may be 30 minutes we have free if we can't figure out what it was about.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'll go back and look in the chat.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Cheryl, go ahead.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I was just going to say exactly what you said, jokingly but seriously. If we can't remember what the hell it was about, then let's just reuse the time or have it spare.

ALAN GREENBERG: I will [crosstalk] –

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Obviously, we will need a bit of follow-up from where we get to with the At-Large review and the interviews, etc., during the Helsinki meeting. But I would have thought that was a subject for, perhaps, the agenda on your [ALT] meeting on Friday.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. No, this was something. I promise, I will not spend 30 minutes pontificating on what I meant by the title.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think it would be very good if you didn't, dear.

ALAN GREENBERG: Any other comments before we go forward? We still have a long part of the agenda to go.

All right. Next item is the ALT meeting on Friday. I hoped that a significant part of the discussion today was going to be planning our ALT meeting on Friday. That's not going to happen now. I will be talking to

---

people privately. Please, everyone on the ALT, or anyone else who cares, if you're on this call, if you have thoughts on what we should be doing. The reason we planned the Friday meeting is typically the Leadership Team, for the last couple of meetings, has not had an opportunity to really talk about how well the meeting went or what we do in the few months going after it. Everyone disappears after ICANN, often for several weeks. And then suddenly, we start scrambling. And the intent of the Friday morning meeting was to try to make sure that doesn't happen. But clearly, we have not had an opportunity to talk about it in detail at this point.

In the past, that has been an open meeting, with anyone attending. That will not be the case this time. We were not given any opportunity for a real meeting room, certainly not with remote attendance. So this will be just the ALT meeting.

Discussion with Rinalia, the two issues that I have on the list are discussion of that At-Large Director seat, and the second are what are hot issues that she would like input on. I'm hoping to get input on her beforehand so people can have at least a day or so to think about things. But we need to discuss that further.

All right, CCWG next steps, I don't know, León, if you have anything that you want to say on this. Clearly, we need to start pushing people to sign up for the various subtopics, if they haven't done that already. I know I haven't signed up for mine yet, so I'm presuming other people are just as guilty. Other than that, is there anything that we need to specifically focus on, León? If León is still with us.

---

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Thanks, Alan. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, we can.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Thanks. I don't think there's the need to over-focus on this topic, other than reminding those who have shown interest on contributing to Work Stream 2 to actually speak up and enroll to one of the different working groups or the subgroups that will be working on the different issues. I don't see much of an issue on this. And some members from the At-Large community have already signed up. Some others have just expressed their interest. So all we need to do is to make sure that those who have actually showed some interest end up signing up for one or more of the groups that will be addressing different topics for Work Stream 2.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you, León. Can I ask staff to send a message out to the open ALAC list, identifying what the topic areas are that we're [inaudible] people for and what to do if people want to join one of those subgroups or not?

All right, I see something being written, so I will consider that's going to be done.

---

Anything else anyone has to raise on the CCWG?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just briefly on that, I think if we just rerun the link to the Google doc, León, that went out to the CCWG list, if that information just gets revitalized and sent out to the At-Large list, that probably will do. I don't think we need to drag them back to going through the various annexes of the report. The topics themselves should probably stand alone to get enough people interested.

But on the same topic, we also need people, if they are going to be signing up for those streams, for the want of a better word, in Work Stream 2, to remind them that they can sign up as participants or as observers. And if we encourage even people who haven't dipped their toe in the water to at least start to become participants in some of these topics, it'll also help us train up and encourage more participation in work groups in general. So we could sort of do a bit of [relating] around that.

And the other thing is, remote participation will on the Sunday CCWG meeting should probably be something we send out and we encourage, recognizing that many people will be traveling, if not just arriving. We

---

should still encourage people to participate remotely, if they possibly can.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Cheryl. Any further comments?

Next item is the GAC Liaison. The ALT did make a recommendation to the ALAC. That has been sent to the ALAC internal list. I've chosen to do this on the internal list because on the off chance that the recommendation is rejected by the ALAC – I'm not presuming that will happen, but on the off chance – I don't think it's fair to the person that we're recommending, who has essentially put his or her name on the line, to have that public that it's rejected. It's not a public race, as it were. So I'm keeping that on the internal list at this point, until either an announcement is made of an appointment or the fact that we're not making an appointment at this point.

The next item on the list is – by the way, that vote is open now, or should be open now, for the ALAC members. It will close at the end of the day, UTC, on Thursday. But my hope is, in fact, that all ALAC members will vote early so we can close the vote once all 15 members have voted and make an announcement.

Unlike other types of votes, where we can look at how it's going and recognize that something has won already, since this a personnel vote, it is an anonymous vote and we cannot see that until the vote is actually closed. So I will be encouraging people to vote, if not often, but early.

---

And the next item is the At-Large review. I don't really think there's anything substantive that we have to discuss at this point. There was one small item, which would have required to going to in camera for, but I don't think it's particularly important, unless Heidi wants to overrule me on that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We do have Lars on the line if you want to just very briefly go through this. It's up to you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: As I said, I would prefer not to go in camera now. The item was a list of subjects who have already been interviewed and maybe subjects who were going to be interviewed in Helsinki to the extent we know it. I don't think it's a particularly important issue. We can all predict who's going to be interviewed in the long run. And I'm not sure in the short run it matters who has been interviewed already.

Lars, if you want to say anything without going in camera, you're welcome to. Or anyone else want to say anything on the issue of the At-Large review. Holly has left already.

Go ahead.

LARS HOFFMANN: Thanks, Alan. Thank you for giving me a chance to speak. I think you summed it up and there's nothing to dramatic. I think the independent examiners have interviewed a number of people in EuroDIG and also

---

the African Internet Summit. And I believe they're lining up interviews for Helsinki. They'll be in touch with the leadership at the start to make sure the coordination goes as smoothly. And we're hoping on the Wednesday meeting, which is the face-to-face meeting between the working party and the independent examiner, to also start discussing the mechanics, at the very least, of the online survey tool that will be launched shortly after Helsinki. So I think we have some substantive work to do then, but I think at the moment we are good. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay, thank you. I'm not sure why the list of interview subjects is a confidential one, but on the other hand, I don't much care either. You may not have been on the call earlier when we were reviewing the schedule. There is a good chance that that At-Large review face-to-face meeting will be moved somewhere else. So staff will be in touch with you. We do have a conflict at that point, which we didn't realize we had. And it's a pretty important one, so we will have to move it somewhere.

I'm presuming the review staff does not have a lot of other commitments, other than At-Large, and we'll move wherever we have to. I presume they'll also be there for the whole week. Is that correct?

LARS HOFFMANN:

Thank you, Alan. We do have one or two other things to do, just for the record. But, yeah, we will be there from Saturday to very early Friday. So Thursday, really.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. When I said, “the review staff,” I didn’t mean your group. I meant the external [crosstalk] primarily.

LARS HOFFMANN: Oh, that’s correct, yes. Everybody is expected [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. As far as I know, they have not contacted staff yet to try to start arranging interviews. They’re going to have a lot harder time than they are expecting, I suspect. Many of us are pretty well fully booked from 7:00 in the morning until late at night. And I would suggest they start earlier, rather than later, in trying to line up people.

LARS HOFFMANN: I’ve certainly communicated that to them. And my understanding is that they’re very much in the process of doing this. But they’re definitely made aware of the busy schedule for community members, from the At-Large, as well as from other groups that they might be interested in interviewing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I have one other issue of any other business. Does anyone else have any other business? My issue is on CSC candidate selection. The CSC is the group that will oversee PTI for the names function.

Any other business, other than that?

---

All right, this is just a head's up. The deadline for naming someone for that is the 20-something-th of July. At this point, we are not likely to have the Candidate Selection Committee up and running in time for that, for them to make a recommendation and for that to be ratified by the ALAC. We may get close to it, but I doubt we'll make that actual date.

I would like to, however, unless anyone has any objection, in the next day or so issue a call for candidates for that position and start that process going. We may keep the list open for longer than the standard seven days, to straddle the ICANN meeting, perhaps, or a little bit further. But I think we want to start the process going relatively soon. But I'm just wondering, for input, we've already fast-passed the GAC Liaison, and with a fair number of comments saying we shouldn't be doing that, we should be using the Selection Committee.

If we miss the deadline, I'm told there's a good chance we will miss the window for the ccNSO and GNSO ratifying the names. We are being asked to select two names so people can pick one, to make sure we have diversity. I'm not sure what the mechanics will be if we miss the date and then want to add the person soon after. I'm not saying it's impossible. I just don't know what the mechanics will be. So we may end up with a choice of the Candidate Selection Committee must be put together and start working very quickly, or we miss the date for selecting the CSC candidate, or we use a more ad hoc procedure. So we may come down to one of those three things.

That's a decision we're going to have to make in Helsinki. And there's the slot on the Candidate Selection Committee. I'll raise that. But I just

---

wanted to make sure everyone is comfortable with issuing the call for nominations very soon and then deciding how we proceed forward later on.

I see two hands, Olivier and Cheryl.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: And Tijani.

ALAN GREENBERG: And Tijani, in that order then. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. My immediate thinking is if you're going to issue a call for candidates, do you have a list of requirements for candidates? Because this is a position that requires specific skill. So is there a skill set, or is it just going to be accepting anyone?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, we have what is published in the CCWG report. It is not all that specific. But clearly, we want someone who understands the process. There is a requirement, to be a CCWG member, that you may not have to be a registry, but you need to be familiar with what it is IANA does with regard to the names function. So, yes, there is a knowledge base. So anyone may apply, but I would like to think that the selection criteria are such that there's not going to be an awful lot of people who will actually have that experience in our environment. There will be some,

---

but I don't think there's going to be a huge number. I'm not sure that satisfies the answer, but that's the only thing we have going, is what is in the CCWG proposal.

Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks, Alan. I think what we can do – and I was going to raise the same points [inaudible] went over – the criteria, as lean as it is, is essential. You have to have an extraordinarily good working knowledge of the IANA functions and, indeed, the registry operation aspects of the work that will be done. You could marry that with the more generic criteria for what we expect for any Liaison – capital L – and representative of the ALAC. And I think that will give you a good enough starting point. And if we use terms like “demonstrable understanding and experience in IANA and registry operations,” that will also help narrow the field somewhat. I would certainly support you putting out the call as soon as feasible and making sure it runs over the Helsinki meeting, because we may have to tap a few people on shoulders and encourage them.

But the other thing is I would suggest that we get the review group, the Selection Committee, the Nominating Committee – not selection, the Nominating Committee – up and running. And, yeah, they're going to have to hit the ground running and work their little bottoms off. Well, that's fine. They bleeding want to do this. The community desperately wants this more general filtration system. They'll have to be running, literally, from the end of Helsinki so this can be done in a 18- to 21-day period and do this on time. We cannot be late. I don't think we would

---

like an extension argument. I think we cannot be late on this one, not this time round.

ALAN GREENBERG: What is the deadline, by the way, Heidi or anyone who knows?

HEIDI ULLRICH: 22<sup>nd</sup> of July.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, I was about to say the 21<sup>st</sup>, but you're right, Heidi. It's the 22<sup>nd</sup>.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And [inaudible] 21<sup>st</sup>.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just for the record, I will be on vacation for a week and a half after Helsinki. I suspect I will not be the only one.

Noted.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Tijani.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Tijani.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Alan. So it is almost the same. I would like to say that before make a call for volunteers or for candidates, we have to set up the list of requirements or criteria. They have to be clear, and they will be our basis for selecting the candidates. The best is to make it through the Selection Committee. But as Alan said, perhaps we'll not have it running already, to have our candidate on time.

By the way, I would like the process of the Selecting Committee starts very soon, if not now, because it is very important to have it. It is a very good tool to have a fair selection and to have everyone happy. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Tijani. At this point, there is not closure as to who will be on this committee or exactly what process will be used for filing the two kinds of positions. So there is no chance it's going to be up and running prior to Helsinki. That's simply a given. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do this kind of thing and have this discussion. There is a slot in Helsinki, hopefully, to come to closure on the committee. And I'm hoping we'll be able to have it populated very soon after that. But I think that's the best we can do.

In terms of setting the criteria, there may well be criteria for things like AOC reviews, where the ALAC has added to the criteria specified by the

---

group. Those have generally been in the form of, “Explain how it is you’re going to be liaising with ALAC and the At-Large.” So we may well add something generic like that. But the other requirements, we are bound by the CWG report. So I don’t think we have a lot of flexibility.

If anyone on this call wants to participate in vetting the list to go out, then raise your hand or speak up, because it does have to be done in the next couple of days. People get on planes in the next two days or so, or three days anyway, for many of them, certainly for staff. So if anyone wants to participate in that, then raise your hand. Otherwise, it’s going to come right out of the CWG report, plus a generic, “How do you plan to work with the ALAC?”

This is not a liaison where I would expect a huge amount of interaction. This person is going to be sitting and essentially auditing what the CSC does. I don’t expect there to be a lot of interchange.

Any other comments? That being the only item on any other business, and we are one minute over, I thank everyone for participating. And have a good rest of the day. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thanks, everyone. The meeting has adjourned, and the audio will now be disconnected. Thank you for joining today’s call, and see you in Helsinki.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**