
GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, Terri, thank you so much. And thanks, everybody, for joining us. We hope to move through fairly quickly with the agenda today, so it may be a shorter meeting. But we're here for an hour. If you're able to attend the entire hour, that would be great.

So Terri, would you mind doing the attendance records and we can start?

TERRI AGNEW: Certainly. We'll go ahead and begin at this time.

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO Monthly Teleconference taking place on Monday, the 13th of June, 2016 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Glenn McKnight, John Laprise, Gordon Chillcott, Monique Chartrand, Leah Symekher, Louis Houle, Eduardo Diaz, Alfredo Calderon, Alan Greenberg, Seth Reiss, Howard Deane, Candice Mendez, and Yubelkys Montalvo.

We have listed apologies from Judith Hellerstein.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Terri Agnew.

Our French interpreter today is Camila.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking not only for transcription purposes, but also to allow our interpreter to identify you on the French channel.

Since I've started roll call, we also have Joly MacFie.

I would now like to turn it back over to Glenn who is speaking.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, everybody. I promise not to touch the keyboard. I noticed somebody was typing a lot earlier, but thank you all for joining us. And I just have one deviation from the agenda thanks to Eduardo Diaz's private message to me. He'd like to include a segment on an update on NomCom.

As you all know, Eduardo is our NomCom representative, so please, Silvia and folks, just remind me that I do not ignore Eduardo in the sequence.

So again, this is our June meeting. We're having two meetings this month. We're having this teleconference now and we will have a second meeting face to face in Helsinki. The Helsinki report will be an update on our progress of what we've accomplished for a more lengthy discussion on a forthcoming NARALO general assembly that we'll be having.

The slideshow, I'll be going through with Judith on Wednesday when I see her here in Washington. I'm at the M-Enabling Conference today and tomorrow. And then I'll spend some time with her on Wednesday.

I'd like to welcome everyone and I'd like to turn to staff on this one outstanding item, 2.1. Silvia, would you mind going through 2.1?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, yes. One moment, please, while I open the wiki.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It's the update on one of the ALSes, Michael Miranda, the ACM.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Regarding Michael Miranda, as you can see, I wanted to put the wiki there if you can give me just one moment. This is an organization that – there was some misunderstanding, I think, about the organization. So on the conference call on May 9th, there was this [inaudible] by NARALO so this is still not officially recertified. That's the status.

If you give me a second, I will try to find this wiki page so I can share it with everyone. There you go.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm not sure about others, but Silvia, I'm having a really hard time hearing you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I'm so sorry. Okay, I'm speaking very close to the mic. I'm trying to make [inaudible]. Regarding this organization, as you can see, on May 9th, this

wasn't [drawn] by NARALO. So at the moment, it's not officially recertified yet. I think this [inaudible] to delegate [the fact] to be completed in order to send it to the ALAC for recertification.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I believe there was an action item on that for myself. I have tried to reach out to Michael Miranda by e-mail and Facebook. I have not heard from him since that meeting, so there has been no update from him understanding consequence to that meeting. So I will continue to try to reach out to him again.

I think we implied that the wrong ALS criteria. It's a future criteria for organizations and definitely we didn't want to give the wrong impression, but I will definitely, again, keep trying this month and hopefully, I'll have a definitive answer from Michael. But it's been very difficult. Michael has been absent for the last two years in terms of attendance. So great guy, one of the founding people within the organization, but it's been difficult getting hold of him.

Anything else?

Okay, sorry. Alan, thank you, if you have a comment.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, I do. I haven't looked at our operating principles in the last few months or since we had that discussion. My recollection is either he has to say, "Yes, I understand that meeting attendance is not a criteria but I want to leave anyway," in which case, the ALAC will decertify him, or NARALO puts him on notice and my recollection is we put someone on

notice and if they don't fix the effective breach of not voting or not participating in a mailing list within, I think it's a year, then they get decertified.

So at the very [least], you should certainly try reaching out to him and see, but at the same time, you should probably start the process in case he's really silent, in which case, we decertify because of silence at the end of the period. So I would go both paths if I were you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Thanks, Alan. That's quite helpful. I will do that. And speaking of our rules and procedures, I've been working on those and I've been waiting for other updates from ALAC on the ALS criteria before moving forward.

Any other comments, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. I've got some other updates that need to be fixed also. So if you're doing an update, we should probably talk about a number of the other problems that have just been noticed over the years. I don't think anything that's particularly substantial, but things we should fix.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Alan. Okay. I want to just turn to the community for any community activities and updates from the community. Please raise your hand and we can run through any community activities that you've

had in the past month or forthcoming events that you'd like to share with the community.

Okay. Leah, please. Leah, then John, then Joly. So, Leah, please.

LEAH SYMEKHER:

Okay, sure. At the end of this month, June 29th, we are having a membership meeting here at San Francisco Bay Area ISOC chapter. It will probably mostly be focused on defining what the members would like to see more from the chapter in terms of events and [topical focus]. And that will probably include a lot of the working group's involvement with NARALO and ICANN, so hopefully, to see more activity from us from that meeting.

We have a guest speaker. His name is Robert Tse. And Robert Tse comes to us from the California State Board Coordinator. He works with agricultural technology and rural development so it will be interesting to hear, to get that perspective, which you don't get to hear frequently. We hope to share that information with you once that event is completed.

The second thing is that I've been having continuous health issues. It started in May and it's been ongoing. For that reason, I'll probably be stepping back from some of my responsibilities and hopefully get better soon to get back in full mode, but just a forewarning. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you for that update, but I'm sad to hear that your health isn't that great. Who will be the alternate for recalls if it's going to be [inaudible]?

LEAH SYMEKHER: For the NARALO, it's Eve Edelson. The two of us are the representatives for the chapter for NARALO. So Eve Edelson will probably taking more of an active role in participating in these meetings. For the chapter, we're still discussing between Ken [Crushmir] who is the treasurer and Jim [Osman] who is pretty busy right now with his private life, but they might be stepping in. I'll just kind of act as an advisory for maybe a month or so, or two, depending on how long it takes. I'll keep you updated.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. And the second thing on your event, will that be Livestream? Will you be providing the link on that event?

LEAH SYMEKHER: We don't plan for it to be Livestream. But we were not planning that or planning more or less this and that where it came face-to-face kind of event. But there have been questions about Livestreaming. No decision has been made yet. We should know by probably the end of this week.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. I'll turn to John and then Joly. John, please.

JOHN LAPRISE: All right. This is actually more of a personal announcement. I'd just like to let everyone know that I'm actually founding a new non-profit, the association of [end] users. I'm not going to bore everyone with a long speech, but I will post a few links in the feed so people can go take a look if they so choose. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. Joly, please.

JOLY MACFIE: Is my mic working?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, you're fine.

JOLY MACFIE: Okay. [Inaudible] mentioned that we could have a change in the officers here at ISOC. And David Solomonoff who is our president of ten years resigned. And I've kind of taken over for the rest of his term which is until July of next year. So I'm now President and we have a new Vice President, Shuli Hallak, who is a very good person.

And then, upcoming events, the ITF USA in D.C., we will be webcasting. I believe even Glenn might be on our team down there.

And the other thing I'm looking at is Hackers on Planet Earth Conference which is, I think, the 20, I'm not sure, but that's another big one coming up. So it's the two I'm looking at immediately.

So finally, October is National Cyber Security Month and we're collaborating with other local organizations to do a summit on [inaudible] security [inaudible]. That's it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. Anyone else? I just have a quick update. I was at the Cyber Expertise Conference in the Organization of American States. I was an active participant two weeks ago in Washington. In fact, I'll share with you, Joly or anyone else interested in cyber expertise issues. It's well-funded by the Dutch government, actually, and a lot of the membership are very interesting.

What they want to do is reach out to civil society, which they haven't done, so I think John Laprise's organization and others – Garth, I know, is involved with surveillance issues as well. So thank you all.

And as Heidi has said in the chat, John, please apply for an ALS with NARALO. I know you're an [un]affiliated member currently, but that would be great. My other bit of news: we did get approved as a new ISOC Special Interest Group. Enabling Technology and Community is a new SIG that I'm now involved with, myself and the IEEE [inaudible] chapter of Calgary.

I've traded this new [inaudible] chapter because I'm no longer with ISOC Canada and I will be applying as an ALS as well with Tushar Sharma in group of the [inaudible] actively involved with [inaudible].

So I'm just going to check the list. If there's no one else, I'd like to move quickly on the agenda. I think, okay. Oh, sorry. Eduardo, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes. I just wanted to add to item number three that we have two things coming up in June. In June, we are participating in a big educational convention here in Puerto Rico. It's called Virtual [inaudible]. It's a global convention. We are presenting a panel [and Internet] in relation to our location. [Alfredo] is helping with us.

And also, we are participating as a listening node. It will be having, I don't remember the name of the [inaudible] presentation community for ISOC. It's a global meeting and we are going to be one of their listening hubs here in Puerto Rico. They invited several universities to participate.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Excellent. Thank you, Eduardo. And you're going to be on the queue for two things later into discussion as well, so we're hearing from you again.

Okay. Folks, this is great. I just want to emphasize that the pictures or information about your event, Eduardo is the newsletter guy so he'll be asking again for your little blurbs and information as well.

So I want to turn quickly to the next item, FY17 special request. Heidi, if you can just go over what the requests have been requested and approved.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Glenn, everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I have posted the fiscal year '17 special request results here on this page. It's the fiscal year '17 implementation work space. That includes the original text of the request as well as the deciding text. So even though sometimes it might say, "No, the request was not approved," you'll see that there might be [funds] or further information, so please do read through all of these.

I think, overall, it was a very good result and I just want to highlight a few of them. The first one, obviously, is a NARALO general assembly request. What the result came back as was that two out of the three requests – there were three requests: one for NARALO, one AFRALO, and LACRALO for general assemblies – again, the result was that two of those would be accepted.

So the mix-up, really, on that one is we'll be working with ALAC on that to decide who those two assemblies will go to. I'll come back to that in just a little bit on the next step.

The next one was for the tribal ambassadorship. That was for a request for two tribal ambassadors going to ICANN 57. That was approved for travel to ICANN 57 in Hyderabad, India. Now the person who is going to be mentoring them is going to need to be someone who is already going to be there.

So that might be someone from NARALO, the leadership team, or it might be the current mentor under the mentoring program, which is Cheryl for this year. So that's something. Or it might be both. I mean, I think there's flexibility there.

Those two travel ambassadors, according to the text, will need to take part in the Newcomer and the Fellow sessions as well as the at-large ones.

Another one that was submitted by the sub-committee and outreach and engagement was for RALO funding for engagement activities. Even though the result of that was no, you'll see in the text here that there were somewhat considerable funds given to the GSC that will be able to work with their various RALOs on agreeing to specific events in their region for specific, for example, printing, etc.

The fourth one will be captioning and I'm just going to very briefly go over that one and then Silvia will go into the details. That one was approved, not according to what was originally requested, which was for a significant expansion in the captioning program as well as going into Spanish and French. That one was approved for another, I believe, six weeks but only in English. So those are the overall results.

The details are still being discussed internally just in terms of the budget associated with them and how we're going to run those. And then there's also currently a session scheduled for Helsinki where all of these will be discussed and we can do the same thing as we did last year, is that go over what materials might be needed and who will be leading each of these activities.

I think that's it, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, great. Thank you so much, Heidi. Any questions to Heidi?

Just one quick question. Did we get an assessment of the success of the captioning in the first year? Did all those slots get taken, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. I'm going to hand it over to Silvia. Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, thank you, Heidi. Actually, Glenn, I have put the wiki page where you can see the nine courses that were successfully completed. On the right hand side of the wiki, you will see the surveys which were completed. And we are going to produce some metrics in collaboration with Judy, the chair of the [inaudible] group. So we can have some specific metrics.

So far, I can tell you that if you read through the answers, the project was very, very successful with excellent feedback. Many people, many community members, especially those for whom English is not their first language were very pleased to have this resource available and the attendance was also very good. So we hope that the continuation will be also very successful.

But the metrics will be produced by ICANN staff and in collaboration with Judy shortly. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. I'm not sure how many people on this call have participated with the pilot, but it's been a huge success as far as I'm concerned in terms of following. Oft times, as a consultant, I'm drawn away with other calls or other activities. But I come back and from my point of view, it's been a great pilot. So I've been pretty please with it.

So just a quick question. Was there ten that was required or I see nine has been completed, but nine out of ten? Is that correct, Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: No. Actually, the first case of the pilot was for nine cones. That was the number under the contract.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. And now with the second part of the pilot will have 15 in total. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Great. Thank you.

I'd just like to invite the community. If you'd like to participate or if you have a session that you think should be captioned, please let us know so that we can add it to the queue on what sessions should be captioned.

Okay. I'm going to move on if there's no other questions for Heidi. Thank you, Heidi.

Moving on to the [cross] strips. The FY '16 is being wrapped up now. I'm at the Session M-Enabling in Washington as I speak. I ran away from the conference for this call. But we have a Personal Democracy Forum that John was at and I wanted to ask John if he could give an overview on what's happened at the Personal Democracy Forum.

JOHN LAPRISE:

The Personal Democracy Forum occurs over two days. I just got back this weekend. The format is somewhat TEDx style in that the mornings are filled with speakers and the afternoons have panels. That said, there's a lot of people there involved in the sort of community building, civic building, civic outreach with a strong bent towards technology. So a lot of the people there were frankly unaware of our existence. So I'd get a lot of networking at the in-between sessions to talk about my badge because ICANN was clearly emblazoned on it.

I also interacted with someone from Croatia who actually came up to me with a beef because they were unhappy with how the Croatian ccTLD was being managed. I said I would forward that to the appropriate parties for further review.

Generally, it was a good conference. My only concern was, and this is something I don't know if we can internalize and it's something I sent back to the conference organizers, is that for a conference sense really focused about community building and dialogue, there was a lot of monologue. I would say at least half of each day was sort of one-way communications in the speeches and the panels maybe only had no more than 25% to 30% of the time for a given panel was actually open to dialogue. And I found that to be a bit problematic.

But overall, it was a very good conference. I met a lot of people. I beeped the floor for ICANN, talked with a lot of people, got people to sort of understand what ICANN was. So in that sense, it was a success. And I'll take questions.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

[inaudible] and also that he could get some pictures to Heidi and to Eduardo for the newsletter, that'd be great. Any questions for John? Okay, I don't see anything.

I do not have a report on M-Enabling yet because it's just the last couple of hours. It just started. But it is a conference focused on disabled persons with disabilities and technology. I have not found an organization yet on doing serious outreach for the ALS. I have the USBs I'm handing out, so I should have more information later today. So I will keep you all informed.

I just want to mention about the FY '17, we have two approved trips. We have Seth Reiss and Louis Houle which I was speaking to earlier before this call about some logistical issues for them in terms of their

flight and hotel. There is no registration fee for that event, but I'm hoping that both Louis and Seth are fine on their logistics, working with constituency travel. So if there is any other issues, let Heidi and us know that if you have any issues, let us know because the event is June 14th. Sorry, July 14th. Joly and I will be there, but we'll be tied up doing social media and video at that project. [Judith] and David are organizers of the event, so we should have really good representation at that event.

Louis or Seth, is there any comments on your trip if everything's okay? Okay.

The other outstanding trip for FY '17, which is much later, has been submitted by Tom. And I'll follow-up with Tom and the [cross] review team on his, which means we'll have two outstanding events that we can apply for so we should discuss this. As I stressed in the last meeting, we definitely want to have new faces for FY '17, not repeat all the people who have done a trip in the past. So everyone to this stage of the three have been new faces going to events and please, those two events definitely will be segmented for people who have not done [cross] trips in the past.

Okay. Thank you so much and any questions on [cross]? Okay. Fine.

Okay, so I'm going to move to election. Just to repeat from the last month, we only had the one position and I'd like to thank Louis and Alan for a great campaign. If you attended the Meet the Candidate call, we had a great call. Both gentlemen did a great job answering questions from the community and I'd like to congratulate Alan in winning the position. And thank you, Louis for [being] in the competition.

Would Alan or Louis like to say anything? Okay. Alan, please.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'd just like to thank anyone who voted for me and say regardless whether you voted for me, I'm going to do my best to represent NARALO in the period coming forward. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. And we're confident you will do a great job. Thank you so much. Sorry. Does somebody want to speak? Louis?

LOUIS HOULE: Yes. Can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can.

LOUIS HOULE: All right. So I'll do it in English because I'm [inaudible] my phone. So I just wanted to thank everyone during the election. It has been a nice opportunity to discuss a couple of issues that I was eager to talk with you guys and I sent private e-mails and I had a very interesting discussion with many of you. And I want to thank you for that. And good luck to Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you both very much for your professionalism. We have a carryover item, number seven, on the consumer trust issue that Garth was a proponent that we've seen move forward. ALAC has been very progressive with this and there is also a posted job description. I'm not sure if it's still active or not, but I'd like to turn to Garth if he's on the call. I don't see him earlier. Maybe he's by [inaudible]. Garth, are you on the call?

TERRI AGNEW: I confirm Garth is not on the call at this time.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Alan, correct me if I'm wrong, or sorry, staff, this position, the staff person that [inaudible] has left ICANN. Is that correct?

ALAN GREENBERG: My recollection, he's leaving effective the end of this month but I may have that wrong.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Folks, I take it this position is still open. If you have any comments or ideas on this job description, Garth has led the charge on this issue so I'm disappointed that he's not on the call now but if he can join us, we'll circle the wagon back. We're doing very well for time. It's half past the

hour, so if he does join us again, maybe he can give us an update on that.

Okay. And no other questions. Let me walk through Eduardo. So we're doing great for time. Eduardo, back to you on the newsletter, item number eight.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

[Inaudible]. ICANN number eight is not here. Oh, newsletter. Like I told [inaudible] position, the newsletter, the pictures are great, two or three lines and links. If you have any pictures or have posters, something like that, you can post on the [Internet]. I'll gladly put the link in the newsletter.

Also, I just wanted to say to the [reception] of the newsletter, there has been from 23% to 28% single openings of people that have seen it. About 23% to 28% of the list which is about 110 people on the list that the page goes to. And that's about it. If anybody has questions, I would be glad to hear.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Any questions for Eduardo on the newsletter? Just one question for me, Eduardo, did Daniel from AFRALO contact you because he's been working on a newsletter for AFRALO and he's doing it as a Word document. But I recommended that he talk to you about what you're using. And are you using Constant Contact or Mailchimp?

EDUARDO DIAZ: First, he hasn't contacted me yet. And I'm using Constant Contact but through an account that staff opened for doing this. And I'm pretty sure if AFRALO wants to use it, I'm sure they can arrange for doing that too. [Inaudible] account. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Perhaps we can print some copies and we can talk to the secretariats of each of the RALOs on the great job you're doing with the newsletter. Thank you so much for doing that, Eduardo. I know it's a lot of hard work.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. No other questions from [this]. Okay. So we want to turn to the, I remember, ten requests for volunteers [inaudible] vacancies in terms of the various different working groups in policy issues. And one thing that I definitely appeal to all of you is we need to do our updated NARALO news mail cards, postcard style cards. So we need content, we need feedback. Mail cards, even though it's shorter [inaudible] versus a brochure, it tends to be more difficult to do because the message has to hit quickly and effectively. So if anyone here would like to join me in working on the content for the mail card, I'd appreciate it. And then we can, maybe if some of you are in Helsinki, we can sit down and do some mock ups.

We'd like to get a communication to do the proper design and layout. So we want to have something that's a neat, eye-catcher, what you see in the center panel, just sort of a catcher with what we put together for the social media group to try to get the Fellows and NextGen sort of involved. So we experiment with three or four different models of mail cards that we're working with the NextGen and Fellows.

But in our case, it'd be consistent with the colors, consistent with the font, and again, we're looking to communication at ICANN to actually do the proper design. But I think they're going to look to us for feedback on the content.

So if there's anyone here, please let me know so that we can actually get this rolling quickly because at the present time, I believe we're out of stock on any of the mail cards information. So is there anyone here? You can put your hands up to say if you would like to join a working group on the mail card.

I'm looking for volunteers. Everybody must be sitting on their hands. So okay. I will not push it there, but I will keep bringing this up. Thank you, Joly. I appreciate it. So we have Joly and what Joly and I will do is we'll come up with – thank you, Monique – we'll put some mock ups together and fire it out to you at future meetings. And again, this is a mail card/postcard design, two sides, two-sided [inaudible] board material with probably a QR code. And yes, Monique, en Francois as well as español. So we'll have it in the three languages for distribution.

Okay, thank you so much. Heidi, is there any other? Joly, do you have a question? I think that maybe he put his hand up. Okay, it's down.

Okay, any other volunteer spots that are available, Heidi or Silvia, that I should mention?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Regarding the mail card, thank you so much for this work. I see we have at least three more [inaudible] so we will post them on the wiki page so everybody all the membership can see it. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Alright, Alan if you have a few minutes can you talk about ALAC and the public consultations? And I have a list and this is just a carry-over from last month.

ALAN GREENBERG: If you can show me the list, I will do my best. I was at a conference for almost two weeks so I'm perhaps a little bit out of sync but if the list is shown I will do my best.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. We're just putting it in center panel. It's item number 10.

ALAN GREENBERG: Alright.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Not to be critical, folks, but what one of the things that Judith and I have been probably more focused on operational stuff or policy stuff that

probably has – we probably have dropped the ball more than anything else on that, so it's time for us to really appeal to the community to give more policy advice. NARALO has been historically very famous for that, so I'm turning to Alan. And now that we've got the election out of the way so I'm turning to Alan to sort of prompt us on this direction. So back to you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Alright. I've just pulled up the current list because the one from last month is now very out of date. I'll look at the ones that are currently in drafting. There is a statement on Rights Protection Mechanisms that is a review by the GNSO of all of the gTLD rights protection mechanisms and that one closes on the 5th of July. I'm drafting that one and I have not put out a draft yet, but it will be out in the next couple of days. So for any IP lawyers or anyone else who has any interest in this, please add your comments to the wiki. Let me put the pointer to where all of the policy advice is or maybe that's already – that's where all the ALAC pointers are or the At-Large pointers are and if you have any comments on that.

There is a statement on expected standard of behavior which is in reaction to the harassment issues that were brought up at the last meeting in Marrakech. That is currently in the process of drafting and is due to close on the 25th just before Helsinki starts. There is one on request for input on new gTLD Subsequent Procedures. This is one that is not... As you know there is what will be an extensive gNSO PDP looking at the potential for future rounds or non-rounds perhaps, but future opportunities to apply for new gTLDs. There is a complete review

going on of all of the rules that were set up last time to decide whether they're appropriate or not, a post mortem of some of the problems we had and that's an extensive PDP that's just starting right now. It's a really important one. The ALAC and At-Large got very involved in the process as the application round was unfolding and we've just done a summary of the statements that we issued related to new gTLDs, and we issued about 100 statements over a many year period. So it clearly is something of interest to At-Large and NARALO has been at the forefront of many of those statements. If people care about this, statements after the fact saying you did it wrong are interesting. It's far more important to get into the design process and make sure we get it right. So anyone who cares about that, I strongly suggest you get involved in that PDP and start working on it. The work is just starting and there's lots and lots to do. If users aren't there to speak up, then the industry people are going to be the predominant voices. So that's a really important one.

The next one that we are currently working on is – I think that is the last one that's open that is really important and I'll stop there.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thanks, Alan. We've got some questions for you. I believe Heidi first and then Joly. Heidi please.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Glenn. It's not really a question, it's more of a comment pertaining to your last point that NARALO has not been focusing on policy as much as they might wish to. I just wanted to announce that the – it's called Pilot Document Development Program – and some of you

may have heard about that in Marrakech. Glenn, you and Judith were in a meeting with Rob on this. The good news is that we're going to start moving ahead very, very, shortly and Dan O'Neil who is going to be the person who is leading the external side is going to be in Helsinki and he's agreed to meet with our Regional Secretariats during their session in Helsinki to start moving this forward.

So what that really means is that each RALO will have up to 25 hours per week to work with these contractors/consultants to develop policy for their particular region that will hopefully feed up into the ALAC policy advice statements. And what this really means is that for each public comment or specific public comments there will be documents produced – very short, clear documents – that state what the public comment is and what the possible impact on end users. So that will help each of the RALOs perhaps develop policy as it relates in their regions. I just wanted to announce that. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much, Heidi. That's great news. I'll turn to Joly.

JOLY MACFIE:

I hope my mic's working because I had complaints earlier. I wanted to ask Alan about the Rights Protection Mechanisms, what the effects of TPP is on that and whether we should be putting in our two cents on TPP as it comes up for the vote.

ALAN GREENBERG: Either I'm mishearing your acronym or I don't understand it. Can you give the letters and say what you're talking about.

JOLY MACFIE: The Transpacific Participation or whatever it is – the trade pact – Trans-Pacific Trade Pact.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what the impact that that will be. It may well be something that's relevant. Right now there is half a dozen or so different Rights Protection Mechanisms that can be used. There's the URS – the ability to rapidly suspend a TLD if it appears to be having some sort of a violation of rights [inaudible].

JOLY MACFIE: [Inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I'm just summarizing. There's a number of these but they're all of course subject to whatever the real trademark rules are that govern overall protections. So what you're talking about may have some impact but really it's beyond my level of knowledge and expertise.

JOLY MACFIE: Okay, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, Joly. You brought it up for a reason. Is there something you want to share with us on this issue of the TPP that we're [inaudible]?

JOLY MACFIE: I've just been sort of seeing people saying that the main opposition to this pact is that it's Draconian as far as copyright goes, that it's a sell out to content and that individual rights of users [inaudible] in it, so I just wondered if we had any point of view on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: The protection related to domain names is typically more related to trademarks and copyright, but copyright can obviously come into the equation when things are being judged.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Charlie, would you mind, if you've done any research on this, maybe it could be a newsletter item. I'm not expecting you to do extensive research, but if you come across someone who's done an intelligent synopsis on it and why it's a concern, that would be great. Have you seen anyone within our community that has been articulate on the subject?

JOLY MACFIE: I think your fellow Canadian, Michael – what's his name? I get them mixed up between Gurstein and Geist. One of them is kind of like a world expert on this.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Actually, I'll see Michael at the CIRA NomCom in July. I'll ask him about that. He's on the CIRA board. Yeah, you're right, he's done some articles in the [inaudible] on this, but maybe if you want to collaborate, Joly, we can get an article and share it with the wider community. Heidi has also suggested in the chat to network with Nigel Hickson, he's the ICANN staff based out of Geneva I believe, and he might be a worthwhile person to talk to as well.

JOLY MACFIE: So the thing is to find out if there's something that relates to that, that we need to put into this current thing on write protection mechanisms, so there isn't a lot of time because the deadline for input is – I think you already mentioned – is not that far away.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I want to go back, circle away again back to an item that did not get touched on because Garth wasn't on the call, and I'll ask Terri. Has Terri joined us on [inaudible] or Adobe? Garth, are you there?

TERRI AGNEW: Glenn, I confirm Garth is not on the call.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. We tried on this issue, and we're offering to do an update if we can get some information from Helsinki.

Okay, I'd like to open the floor to Any Other Business. Okay, Joly, please. Okay, Joly, I did see your hand but I guess it's gone down. Is there anyone else on Any Other Business for the call today? Okay, staff, is there any update or anything else that –

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm sorry, go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead, Eduardo. Sorry, I apologize. Eduardo has got an update on NomCom. I'm sorry, go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: It's okay, I was going to remind you. I was going to say that the NomCom are aware of finalizing the first part of coming up with what we call the charter list. It's a group of eight people that will be introduced during Helsinki. We are very hectic, I'll tell you. Most interviews are in Helsinki, and after that, the shortlist is going to be with used to the last number of people that will be – used mostly for the award positions, and there will be a list of three, and the final [inaudible] will be posted sometime during August. The other positions,

one for the GNSO, one for the ccNSO and two for the ALAC. There will be a list in review of [inaudible] people per position and that those conversations will happen also in Helsinki. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. before I turn to Tom, is there any question for Eduardo on NomCom? I have a question for you, Eduardo. I noticed that there was a posting for the positions of Chair and Chair Elect, has that been closed now?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I think – I'm not sure. I think it opens in 26th of June, but maybe you can help us there. I don't have [inaudible]. And for those who don't know, there are three positions in the NomCom which is called the Chair, that's going to be selected now for the next NomCom, and at the same time, this other [inaudible] of Chair Elect, and that position also will be selected this time, and that person will participate during the next NomCom to learn how it works. At the end of the NomCom, there is an evaluation about the Chair Elect, and then Chair Elect will ask for the Chair on the other NomCom. [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much, Eduardo. I'd like to turn to Tom, please.

TOM LOWENHAUPT: Hi, I haven't adjusted my microphone, am I heard?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, I can hear you.

TOM LOWENHAUPT: Yes? Okay, good. Well, there was a conversation about the NARALO list this past month about individual Internet users and their ability to participate in the governance of ccTLDs, and two things have happened. One is that I've put together a draft – actually finalized now, of a questionnaire that I'm going to try to circulate to At-Large users as well as Internet Societies in cities or regions that have TLDs.

The second is that [Lewis] has done some work following up on that conversation, I'd like to thank him for it. I've not had the opportunity to delve into the actual contracts and commitments that are in there in terms of between ICANN and the cities and the requirement that individual Internet users will be able to participate in the Internet governance process. So [Lewis] has looked into that for [inaudible] and I'd like to thank him and alert people that if you're in a city that has a TLD, or a region, or you work or live there, look in your mailbox for an e-mail from me soon with a request that you participate in this questionnaire and survey that we're trying to put together.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, Tom, thank you. Any questions for Tom? Okay, great. Okay, last call. Any other business from anyone else?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello Glenn, this is Silvia Vivanco from staff. Just a reminder to everyone to please join the NARALO call on June 29th, Wednesday in Helsinki. [inaudible] for those in Helsinki, the agenda is already posted and is in the meeting room Aurora Hall, and there will be a calendar invite for all those who cannot go in person, then join remotely. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. We will have a detailed slideshow for those who cannot attend. It'll be analysis of what we've accomplished in the past six months, analysis of outreach, analysis of attendance. I have to say we've done a great job in these calls. Thank you all so much for calling and attending, and we're looking forward to your feedback on how to do things better.

Last call for any other comments. Sylvia, you're done, everyone is done. Okay, thank you so much for attending. We will see you on the 29th hopefully in person or remotely. Thanks again. Bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thanks, everyone.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you. Bye-bye, everyone.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye.

TERRI AGNEW:

Once again, the meeting has been adjourned. Thank you very much for joining. Please remember to disconnect all remaining lines, and have a lovely rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]