

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call, taking place on Monday the 9<sup>th</sup> of May 2016 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Glenn McKnight, Allan Skuce, Alan Greenberg, Louise Houle, Ron Sherwood, Gordon Chillcott, Alfredo Calderon, Tom Lowenaupt, Howard Deane, Eduardo Diaz, Candice Mendez, Judith Hellerstein, John Leprise, Avri Doria, Garth Graham, and Leah Symekher.

Currently at this time, we have no apologies listed.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself Terri Agnew, as well as Joe Catapano.

We also have French interpretation today. Our French interpreters are Camila and Claire.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking, not only for transcription purposes, but also for our interpreters. Thank you very much and back over to you Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. Welcome everyone. We have, again, another month of great attendance, and I really appreciate everyone's efforts to join in. And on the agenda today is actually Eduardo's newsletter. I'm hoping all of you have a chance to read it, and it's a real great opportunity to showcase what you're doing, and sharing with

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

each of us what activities that are pertinent to our community, and that's why we've also put very high up in our agenda, the announcement and community activities.

But before we start with that, I'd like to turn to staff. And the first item that we have on, if any outstanding issues with decertification of NARLO ALSs. So I'll turn to Heidi, if she would like to address those issues.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello Glenn. This is Silvia Vivanco. [CROSSTALK] I can provide an update on this decertification. As you know, there were seven organizations which were contacted by the leadership, because they have not attended the meetings for quite some time. Some of them before [six?] years ago from NARALO. This was several reasons. So at this point, after some due diligence, and the view by [inaudible].

We have seven organizations that will be decertified if, it will be put under a vote, an ALAC vote, and the vote will start today at 23:59 UTC, and will last until May 16<sup>th</sup>. And this is for the ALAC to review the evidence provided by NARALO leaders. And there is one point, one of the associations, they are [inaudible] for community networking, ASCN. There are some questions about whether or not they were aware of [rules?] regarding attendance, so the suggestion from Heidi and from staff is, if you could go back to them and start a conversation again on...

So there will be six, at the end of the day, six, we have six organizations that will be put under the vote, that we start today.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Okay, thank you so much.

SILVIA VIVANCO:                    Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Great. Any questions from the attendees? Judith, do you have any comments?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:                No. I don't necessarily have a comment. I believe we made it clear, well, Michael Miranda, he was very difficult to reach. And we had to send like three emails to even get any response back from him. So we tried to make clear to him, about that, but as usual, we don't necessarily get responses.

And I don't think he really ever participated. Also, I'm thinking, maybe we can get the vote checked, because I'm not sure that participation thing is correct. But maybe we could get that checked by staff.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Okay. Any other comments from anyone? So we have an outstanding issue. As an action item, I'll try to get a hold of him again, Silvia, and hopefully he'll respond back. But Alan has got a question. Alan?

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

Not a question, but and I'm speaking as ALAC Chair, the request from Glenn and Judith was that we do the vote prior to the election, because we can't have a decertification process going on during an election, because then we would end up with someone being eligible to vote at the beginning and potentially not eligible to vote by the end of the vote period.

So it has either got to be all before or all after. If we are going to do it all before, the vote has to start tonight. So if there is really any question about an ALS, you may want to withdraw the decision for decertification at this very point in time, because otherwise it may hold up the whole process or it will have to wait until after the election.

So it's completely your call, but just for clarity, the ALAC has to have enough time to do the vote completely before the election, if indeed you want them to decertify at this point, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you Alan. If it's okay with Judith and the rest of advice, we can put a hold on Michael and give him another month, and keep trying to get a hold of him and get a more tangible answer. Is that okay with everyone? Judith, do you have a comment?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Fine with me.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. You've got that Silvia? So as an action item, we'll carry forward, we have people doing check marks, thank you so much everyone. If anyone is in denial, sorry, is against the concept please indicate as well with a red X.

Okay, so I think we can move on with that. So we will able Michael Miranda's organization, and keep pursuing to try and get a hold of him. Okay, so I want to move to the next item. Is there any other outstanding questions on the decertification before we move on?

Hearing once, twice, three. Okay, thank you so much. Okay, announcement of community activities. If I could start out with a few announcements from our organization that has been something that we've been quite active in. We were recently quite active with the Geneva Internet Platform, doing a report with others, where part of a curating group. The discussion I shared with everyone was on accessibility.

So I've shared the links on the list of the various reports. I think they have a lot of merit for what the Geneva Internet Platform is doing. I'll share with you their report, and a maximum 700 words per report. There is a really good curating process. It might be something for us to consider in the future at ICANN meetings to give feedback to our community.

It has a lot of constructive value. Second announcement that I can make, the Internet Society will have the Canadian Internet Forum as of June 1<sup>st</sup> in Ottawa. It's a whole day event. It's sort of a mini IGF sort of, but it's all held in one room, and there is usually three, sometimes four,

---

panels. The broadband panel is the one particular that I'm interested in. Currently we are involved with IEEE with three TV whitespace projects that we hope to roll out. And I just put into the chat, if anyone is interested particularly the one near the location of [Inaudible] public media, the Navaho Nation is doing [inaudible] whitespace testbed.

Also, we're involved with one with IEEE with the Black Reservation. Those are three announcements from me. Who would like to go next? Anyone else have any public announcements or activities? And I believe Alfredo has one that he is doing this week. [CROSSTALK] Go ahead.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Yes, this is Alfredo for the record. On Thursday, I'm going to be the speaker for the Canada Computer Club and [inaudible], who is going to be speaking on the topic of [inaudible] reality for the audience starting around 7:00 in the evening until 9:00. That's what we're doing from our end.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you so much. Judith, do you have any announcements to make?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I have none except to say that the IGF USA will be in July 14<sup>th</sup>. And we've put out the... And we're forming groups, so if you're interested in participating in IGF USA, come check out the website of IGF USA. And there should be a listing of topics that were chosen, and you could be forming, joining within the working groups to decide where you want to

---

help, if you want to help on formulated different panels that are going to be happening. That's it.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have a comment.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: [Inaudible]?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I do have a comment.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah, now, okay. Yes, can you hear me? I guess you can hear me, right? So, I just want to mention also that Alfredo and myself, we put together a proposal to present a panel about internet and the [inaudible] of the internet in education during the... There is going to be a [inaudible]

---

convention here, it is a global convention of people that are in that business. And so, and it was accepted, so we're going to be there sometime in June, I don't remember the dates, it's around June 15<sup>th</sup> to the 22<sup>nd</sup>, or something like that. I just wanted to mention that one too. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much Eduardo. Okay, Tom?

TOM LOWENHAUPT: Oh yes, hi. I just wanted to mention that I am going to be on a panel on June 8<sup>th</sup>, [inaudible] mashup, [Media Mashup?], and it's the New York City [Media Lab?] is sponsoring it. Basically what we're trying to do is get people to think about the intent of things and all of this data that it's generating, and how that can be used locally.

Currently you put together a little graphic showing [inaudible] things, information flows out of the city. And there is no method for [inaudible] or capturing it, and using it to the benefit of the city residents. So I wanted to get people thinking about that issue on June 8<sup>th</sup>. I think it's, actually I'm not sure if it's a free event or not, but it's called the Internet of Things [Media Mashup]. [Inaudible]...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you so much. Make sure you guys send these activities to me so I can put them into the shared calendar that we have. It would be great to have that. So if you would like to pop them into the chat as



---

well, both of you, that would be great. Just open the floor to anyone else. Eduardo, did you have another comment or is that an old hand?

I guess not. Okay, anyone else? Any other announcements? Okay, Leah?

Leah? It's all yours.

Sorry we can't hear Leah. She might be muted. Whenever she comes in, let's move on. Is there anyone else for comments? Okay. So we're going to move on to the next item, the NARALO General Assembly. Maybe Heidi can give us an update on that? It was a budget request that was submitted, so just to give us an update on where it stands.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi, this is Heidi. So the position is that all fiscal year 17 requests will be reviewed, and hopefully adopted, by the Board sometime between May 17<sup>th</sup> and 19<sup>th</sup>. And at that point, the official go ahead for the NARALO General Assembly can move ahead. All inside feeds right now is that there will be two Assemblies approved, and one of them will then go to NARALO.

So we just also need to confirm, given that Panama, ICANN 56 has moved, we need to make sure that ICANN 57 will be in Puerto Rico as well, or North America. And that should be decided shortly as well.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. We hope... I know that Alfredo has drawn and Eduardo has strong opinions of it, keeping it in Puerto Rico, they've done a lot of

---

work getting the leg work going for outreach prior to the event coming. It would be a shame that it's not in Puerto Rico, but I guess it is out of our hands. Any questions for anybody? Eduardo, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have a question for Heidi. Heidi, do you have any idea how in a short period of time this is going to be decided?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. I think that the Board is going to be considering that in May. They have a big meeting in Amsterdam, next week I believe, and I think these issues will all be brought to them. So we'll have a lot more news in the next two weeks, and I appreciate you waiting on all of this.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we are in a holding pattern.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We all are, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. So as you can see on the center panel, we've assumed that we'll be going ahead, and as placeholders, we've asked for volunteers. And as soon as we get the green light, we'll be asking very seriously for people to help in organizing what our results will be. The conversation that Judith and I had with Chris back in the last ICANN meeting, we really stressed that we want results in our General Assembly, and focus on working with the community to develop a series of strategic planning, process, a scope of project.

So we hope to have this moving forward. So the more volunteers to get involved with facilitating and helping us make it a success it would be great. Thank you again. Any other questions for Heidi, from the floor? Okay, so we can put that to bed for the time being and wait until between May 7<sup>th</sup> and 19<sup>th</sup> on that issue.

Okay, so moving ahead, after that I have just a quick update. The number two CROPP trips remaining for this fiscal period. We have the Accessibility Conference in June which is [inaudible] Summit, and focus it, which is focused on accessibility issues in communities throughout the United States and Canada. And John Leprise is going to the Personal Democracy Forum.

We've also worked with Dev who is the chair for the CROPP, and he has worked with staff and they have opened up the FY 17 applications, because there was a concern about the IGF USA, so we're looking at two submissions for the IGF USA, one from Louis Houle and Seth Reece.

---

So those are two for July 14<sup>th</sup>, so in terms of timelines we're good. And then we have Tom's submission which is way off until November. So as a RALO, we've been very studious in getting our applications in fairly early, and it's an exciting opportunity for us to move it forward. Any other questions?

So that means that there will be three CROPP trips that will be available. Sorry, two remaining one after Tom [inaudible], so if anyone is interested in a trip between July and until the end of June, let us know so that it's within our strategic plan and scope. If there is restrictions on the program in terms of the number days, but feel free to bring it up on the next NARALO meeting.

Okay, Judith, I'm going to turn it over to you. It's on the NARALO election. This is a big portion of our talk today.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. Thank you Glenn. It's Judith Hellerstein for the record. So as you saw, we closed the nominations yesterday, and according to the rules, we have a contested election from the ALAC, and we will be having, on Wednesday, a Meet You Candidates Night at 4:00 on Wednesday Eastern.

And so we are looking forward to it, and we will post [the structure?] of it as soon as the page is posted. And this is your chance to ask the candidates for ALAC, which are Alan Greenberg and Louie Houle, real quick questions about their interests and what they plan to do, their statement of interest, how they plan, what are their goals, if elected, as an ALAC member?

---

And so we look forward to you participate. If you can't participate then, please do send us your questions because we will pose them to the candidates for you in the question and answer session, and so that you can make sure that your question will be answered. So when you listen to it later on, you will hear your answers.

Also for those who are only listening on the replay, if you still have questions that weren't answered, please do post them on the list, and we'll make sure that the candidates, Alan and Louie, will respond to them. So, that's, any questions on that?

If not, then we'll go on to the other questions. Glenn, do you have a question?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. It takes me a second to unmute again. Sorry Judith, can we just be absolutely clear, each position in terms of what positions became available in the nomination process all the way through, and which ones actually is part of this meet the candidates process? Just for the sake of the record.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

So for the sake of the record, it's Judith Hellerstein. For the sake of the record, the only one... Well, in a few moments, we will be asking, since I believe, and Silvia you can correct me, if we have a quorum, they elected today, we will... There are three spots that were not contested after the nominations closed, and that is the NARALO Chair, the

---

NARALO Secretary, and the NARALO appointment to NomCom, being held...

Glenn McKnight announced that he is running for NARALO Chair, no other nominations were presented. Myself, Judith Hellerstein, I put myself up for NARALO Secretariat, no other nominations were posted. Eduardo Diaz posed his position as the NomCom representative by NARALO, for NARALO, no one has presented any other nominations. So provided that we have a quorum, we will ask members to approve those choices.

And so then those will not be on the Meet the Candidates night. But, so the only ones who will be on the Meet the Candidates night, will be the ALAC Chair, the ALAC position, the NARALO ALAC position that has been vacated by Glenn, and that is a new two year term for that. And the two people who are running for that position in NARALO, are Louis Houle and Alan Greenberg. And that's your chance to hear what they have to say.

So Silvia, do we have a quorum?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay. So this is Silvia. Basically I just wanted to confirm what Judith has summarized, and you have the timetable. Everybody can see it on the Wiki page, where you can see that at the NARALO monthly meeting, for positions where all nominees have either accepted or rejected nominations required, the NARALO Chair will attempt to seek consensus on who to select.

---

So now, we can proceed with... I will check with Terri how many people we have on the call, please Terri so we can determine if we have quorum to get consensus for the positions of Chair and Secretariat, which are not contested.

TERRI AGNEW: Hi, this is Terri. Currently we have 19 members of the call.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. So we have 19 members on the call, out of 33 ALSs. So I see that one person, if you allow me, Alan Greenberg has raised his hand.

ALAN GREENBERG: May I speak?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Please Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. It has been the practice in NARALO and in ALAC, that when there is only one candidate nominated for a position, that they be acclaimed. And that no vote or poll is necessary. Based on an event in another RALO, I'm sort of compelled to ask, what if you take a vote to see if the RALO agrees and the answer is no? What do you do?

You may want to think about that before deciding to go ahead with having a poll. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks Alan. I think, I appreciate that. I know they have had problems in other RALOs about that, but I think, from the amount of, what we've heard from [inaudible] RALO, in the ALSs, that they, that we would not have that similar problem. Glenn, do you want to add to that?

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan. I would suggest that you would want to, ahead of time, before having such a poll, have a contingency if it is what happens. It wouldn't be prudent to hold the call unless you understood what the possible outcomes are. Just a thought to take into consideration. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I think Alan is quite prudent in what he is saying, so I think, it could happen. And like the rules of procedure states very clearly what we need to do, so I think we should follow what Alan has suggested. Judith, do you agree with that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I'm fine with that. If everyone else is fine within our RALO, we'll go ahead then.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Just to be clear, the rules of procedure are currently silent on only one nomination, but the longstanding practice has been the concept of acclamation.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. I believe that Eduardo wants to add something to that?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Actually I have a question. This is Eduardo for the record. I'm not sure what we are talking about here. I [inaudible] something that Alan said before, so can you iterate what we are discussing? Are we discussing about not acclaiming, or voting, or are we doing consensus? I got lost somewhere. So if you can reiterate please. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Glenn, I'm not sure if that was aimed at you or me.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I think it was aimed at you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. The question is, whether there is any action needed on the part of the RALO, whether it's called a decision by consensus or a vote, that both have the same impact and same meaning is, whether a vote is necessary in the case of only a single candidate. That is, instead of

---

acclaiming them, it will go to a decision of the RALO instead whether to accept that person, or essentially to have none of the above.

That's the question on the table.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, this is Eduardo again. I, you know, being in NARALO for so long, and what has happened before, I don't see a problem with acclaiming people for being more than once. I know there are other RALOs that have a different type of problem, based on other things. You know, I don't get it. If there is only one person, there is [inaudible] votes for that person, but usually we do it by consensus or acclamation. This is a different RALO. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

So, are we clear on moving forward? Back to you Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. So I guess we are clear... Is this clear that we are saying that [inaudible]...? Because I'm running, and Glenn is running, it's a little strange that we are all acclaiming ourselves, but if that's the way the procedure is, then I would like... If anyone does not agree with this, please let us know.

We will then pass it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I think Alan, do you have another comment?

ALAN GREENBERG: Just to, a comment that in other meetings I have been at, at times when a decision like this is being discussed, the Chair turns it to someone else who isn't an interested party, to simply run that part of the meeting. But regardless of who ran it, I think the message with the tick marks was clear that we don't need to have a vote or a poll at this point, and we can just acclaim.

So, although it maybe should have been done slightly differently, and you appointing, you know, somebody else for five minutes to be acting chair, I don't see any problem just going ahead. If anyone has any problem, they can raise their hand, and we can do the next, last five minutes over again. [LAUGHTER]

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alan, so maybe... So Silvia, do you want to be the person to ask for the acclamation?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sure, yes. Okay. So I would ask everyone who is in agreement, to acclaim the uncontested positions of Chair, Secretariat, and NomCom delegate, to please raise their hand.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And also, Monique was wondering where we are in the agenda. So we're voting now Monique. So if you want to raise, put a green tick if you agree with the choices that were mentioned.

---

SILVIA VIVANCO:                   Okay. We are counting now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:               Okay, for those who are on Adigo and do not have access to your hand, I believe Tim has put his hand up with a green tick, thank you. Who do we have that's not voted so far? I believe Ron Sherwood and [inaudible]. So those are the two outstanding.

ALAN GREENBERG:               I think you have more than a consensus at this point.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:               It does. Okay. So thank you so much everyone for your patience in this process. And you can clear your check marks, if you would like. Okay, so let's just emphasize again, Judith, on what the next stage, in terms of Meet the Candidate call and emphasize the time and process again.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:           So yes. So Meet the Candidate call will be on Wednesday at 4 PM Eastern. Silvia, what time is that in UTC?

SILVIA VIVANCO:                   21:00 UTC.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, so 21:00 UTC. Get to know... And thanks Terri for posting the link. And so, you can send us your questions in advance. You can... If you can't come, you can send us questions later. Joly thinks that is 20:00 UTC. Silvia, I thought you had said...?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Actually, I am looking at the calendar invite, which was sent just an hour ago, it's 21:00 UTC, which I believe is at 4 PM Eastern time, US Eastern time.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, so it's... Joly was saying that...

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sorry. 5 PM US Eastern time is 21:00 UTC...

ALAN GREENBERG: No, that's not correct. If it's 20:00 UTC, it's 4 PM Eastern time.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: She said it's 21:00.

SILVIA VIVANCO: It's 21:00. 21:00.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: On which day?

SILVIA VIVANCO: On Wednesday, the 11<sup>th</sup>.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, in the chat it said 20:00.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, so that's on. Okay, so Glenn, I think we're onto the next item. I don't see Garth here today. So, we won't talk about any update on consumer trust, and we'll go to the... But I think he was going to mention that, as you seen from the agenda, the job description for consumer safeguard has been posted, and we posted a link to that in the agenda.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry Judith, I believe Alan has a comment on this issue. So Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: My only comment is everyone can comment on the job description, not just Garth. If anyone else has any thoughts, thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. So if anyone has any thoughts, please feel free to comment on this job description. And I guess the next one is the NARALO newsletter. And we'll turn to Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, quickly, this is the same thing every time I made the newsletter. See me your information. I'm getting information from Glenn all of the time, I'm getting also from New York ISOC, and I got some from ISOC in San Francisco, but I haven't heard from other ALSs, and we are, many of us, I think [inaudible]...

In any case, this is your window to the rest of the RALO, so please send me the information when I send the note, send the information, and we'll put it there. I think this tool will take about two or three years to pick up [inaudible], but I think it's a great thing to have, to advertise [inaudible]. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Question for you, Eduardo. I know you're doing the capacity building session this week on Wednesday, I believe. Is this one of the ideas as a tool that other RALOs should be following in? I'm just curious, do other RALOs actually have a newsletter as well? And what inspired you in the third place, to actually create a newsletter?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. The answer to the first question is, yes, this is one of the things I promote as engagement in the [inaudible]... And second, I'm not sure, I don't know the answer if any other RALOs are doing it [inaudible] tell us. And the third question, the thing that motivated me is that, you know, we're talking about all of these ALSs that we have, and sometimes they have been silent for a while, but only the fact that

---

---

you're getting a heartbeat once a month from the RALOs, even if you don't read it, you read the subject.

It will make sure that, you know, we're there, and that you know, there is information and eventually people will read it. So to me, it's another way to communicate what we're doing, and not only from ICANN itself, just from our region. I don't know if you [inaudible] put a little bit of ICANN, but really, it is what's happening with the other ALSs within our region.

So we know what we are doing, because I know we are doing a bunch of stuff, but not too many people know about it, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. I think, I would like to open it up to people, their comment, what do they think of the newsletter? Any other suggestions, and changes, or recommendations of what...? If anybody else wants to be a co-editor with Eduardo, we'll open it up to anyone who has any comments.

Judith, go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

It' Judith Hellerstein for the record. No it's not that. I also wanted Eduardo to talk a little bit about the webinar that he's... A capacity building webinar, that he's doing on Wednesday, which I think would be a great interest to many of the ALSs on our call.



---

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. The webinar... This is Eduardo. The webinar is mostly to see how ALSs can be more engaged, what things we can do and what things the ALSs can do to become more engaged with ICANN and the region, the region and ICANN, mostly. And so I have a few ideas to share, but really, this webinar is to get people, trying to think about how to get engaged. But really, it's up to us to do that, and sometimes, this is a volunteer thing, sometimes people don't have the time or even the interest of following up with what we are doing.

But in any case, have the spirit of being there whenever they can contribute. So sometimes, I have a few things to say, and I hope I can... You know, if we get a couple of ALSs interested in doing more than what they're doing now, but that would be a result, you know, really time will tell. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you so much. If there are no other comments in the chat or by hands up, we'll move on to the next thing. Our fiscal budget with ICANN allows us to create a new mail card. So I've been playing around with just a few, so that you can actually understand what mail card.

This is not anyway close to our final idea, but the idea is, this is not a brochure, but it's a mail card postcard designed with a QR code. We can look at different symbols, we can look where a catch where, the ideas, it's a smaller hook type of idea. So there is one example here, so I need your feedback, who else wants to get involved with creating this mail card, so that we can come up with a content and design, and what you like to have a strong image to the rest of the community.

---

And we can get it to communication for their magic touch to make it right. What they're looking to us for is volunteers to give feedback on the content and the look. In fact, in one I played around with on the mail card, Terri if you don't mind putting the second one up.

TERRI AGNEW: Hi Glenn, this is Terri. Yes, I'm trying to find it. All of my items got jumbled up and no longer in order. It will be just one moment.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. So this is not complete in terms of the look and feel, but the mail card from doing a lot of international trade shows and what I'm seeing is, I think, a great way to get the word out, and the challenge is, like Mark Twain said, if I had more time, I'd write a shorter letter.

To answer Leah's question, our target group is organizations that want to become ALSs for NARALO. Our target group is those potential individuals within organizations, which we know there is a lot in America, and there is pockets that we don't have representation. So that mail card target, which would be a printed copy as well as digital.

So if anyone would like to volunteer in providing content or actually chair the drive forward, please let me know. And we do have a Wiki link to the mail card information. But I don't see it here. If anyone is interested, you can get a hold of me anytime, if you want to jump in now, please do.

Any comments?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Leah has a comment. So Leah comment is, does a guest send to the RALO to share? So I guess the question is, is that, we will be printing those out, and any RALO would like a... Any ALS who would like a copy, can request them from staff, and then they can be sent to you. Like you tell them, if you have an event that you're doing, or you want to give out a couple, you could request a certain number of these mail cards, and they can be shipped to you to hand out.

And I've just checked with staff to make sure that... We plan to use these... We thought that the mail card is much better to use than a brochure, because people forget the... They look at a brochure, it doesn't catch their eye, and they drop it down, and the mail card would be somewhat simpler to hold onto, or they could take a picture of it and they can remember it.

And so that was our idea, that we think is easier. It's a little bit bigger than a business card and has a little bit more information, and we took the idea from the captioning cards that we had created, to announce about the captioning program, and we had a lot of success with that, in getting those out and people seeing that.

So we thought that as a mail card would be a better idea to that. And so, it can be [inaudible], it could be not. So it was just the idea, because if other people have different views, please let us know, but the idea is that if we go ahead with this, then staff would be able to send them out to different ALSs who request them. Is that correct?

---

SILVIA VIVANCO:

This is Silvia. If you allow me just to comment. Yes, basically this is an outreach document, for use of other members, to be able to show whenever you go to a conference, or an event, and to hand out, to potential new ALSs, and people that are interested in learning more about NARALO.

In the past, we had a brochure, a trifold, it's a bit larger format. And Glenn said we want to have something smaller, more [inaudible]. Not too many work, so that is what we're discussing now. And of course, once this NARALO decides on the format, on the [inaudible] document, that we would like, we would coordinate with the com department, and basically the com department needs at least one month to print and to do some translations, if you require another language.

So one month is the time required to produce the document. So what we can do is staff already put the different samples or ideas that you have on our Wiki page, and everybody can start discussing and taking a look at different models and different type formats, and decide within one month.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you. Anyone else? Any other questions? Definitely do want people to get involved and if you have a talent to write copy, this is your opportunity. Thank you. And I'm going to turn to the next item. And Alan, do you have any comments on public consultations?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Not really. There is a number going on, including, we are welcoming anyone who has been following the process, to spend some time looking over the draft bylaws. This is probably the most important thing that ICANN has done in my lifetime, in terms of completely changing how the organization can run. And we have an exceedingly complex set of bylaws that have been put together in record short time, that's always an exercise for disaster if we're not careful.

So if anyone has the time, and has been following the accountability and IANA processes, please jump in there. Other than that, I don't think there is anything really onerous on our schedule. If Heidi remembers something. I don't have the list of open statements in front of me right now, there may be something else, but nothing in that order of magnitude certainly.

Let me pull it up. Hold on one second.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: While you're doing that, Judith, you had a comment?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. Alan, it's on the agenda as well, so on the side. But also, the... If there is anything else to decide on, if there is anything still open, if there is any new committees that still need people who are just opening up, you can also mention that here.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

We're about to embark on a revitalization of the number of committees, but that work hasn't been done yet. The work is ongoing on ALS criteria and expectations. And we hope to try to free some of that up in the Helsinki meeting. So there will be meetings. There is already one meeting scheduled this coming, this week, I think.

And there will be another meeting scheduled, hopefully the week after that, looking at actual criteria and expectations. So we welcome new people in that process. This will determine, you know, that in conjunction with the At-Large independent review, which is just starting, will determine how At-Large functions over the coming years, so people care about it, it's a good time to get involved.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you everybody. And as Alan has mentioned, some of the working groups that have [inaudible] the new gTLD program will be resurfacing. I know Howard Deane is on the call for the Consumer Council of Canada. He has expressed a lot of interest in getting more involved with that. So it's an example, you know, find where your passion is.

If you have a particular interest, I know Judith is very passionate about issues of the rights of the disabled, so she's very involved with that. So any of you are interested in a particular areas, this is the time to look at the working groups, how to get involved, and if you have a particular interest, this is the time to look through it and feel free to ask questions.

I think Avri, do you have a question? So comment here. She makes the comment that the new gTLD subsequent procedure group is sort of cooking, great time to get involved. Thank you Avri, I agree. By the

---

way, Avri was at one of the panelists at WSIS recently, and as I reported at the top of the hour, there is a really good process, that Geneva Internet Platform did. All of us were [inaudible] at that, so if I could just reemphasize that it's something that perhaps we should start thinking of for getting feedback.

Thanks Alan for sticking with us. So okay, Alan finished his comments, and I just want to hold it up for any other business for the last few minutes on the call.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

This is Judith for the record. Maybe Avri, if she has a microphone, can tell us a little bit about how the WSIS went, since she just got back from there.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

And then Tom has a comment.

AVRI DORIA:

This is Avri. Only a quick comment because I'm about to drop off for the same meeting that Alan just dropped off for. I think the WSIS was actually the [inaudible] or a lot of decent conversations, obviously I only participated in a couple of tracks, and I skipped most of the high level meetings through conference calls and other stuff.

But I determined it a successful meeting in UN parlance. You know, I think it was fairly okay. I was glad I went there, and I think the ICANN related sessions went quite nicely. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you so much. Yeah, I think we were well represented. If you go back and watch some of the videos that I posted and the comments. Tom, over to you.

TOM LOWENHAUPT: Thank you. I've again... This is Tom Lowenhaupt. I had sent the letter to the NARALO [inaudible]... But I have [inaudible]... post a link to, a Google Doc that you can find it. And what it is, is a relationship of a NLAS to a city top level domain. In the case of New York, we have [inaudible] this point added our own ccTLD for well over a year. And I just had a look the other day at the official registry page for on the ICANN site.

And there are four amendments to the registry agreement. And I [inaudible] that we've never been, we being [inaudible] New York City, an ALS focused on the [inaudible] top level domain, that we've never been consulted on the matter whatsoever. And I understand this [inaudible] procedures were followed on the part of ICANN, so in the sense that some of the elements in there were passed in 2005 [inaudible].

And I think there is a need to review the fundamental procedures that perhaps we direct that local ALSs involved with cities that have top level domains, be included in the process. So that, for example, the next time they want to modify the registry procedure, the registry processes, that the local ALSs be engaged and consulted and participate in those discussions.



---

So I have, I don't know if people received the letter. [Inaudible] so there is the [inaudible] on the chat screen, the URL that leads to the document, and if anybody has any questions or suggestions on it, I'd appreciate it. And I do think that there needs to be some changes to the ICANN process to give any meeting at all to an ALS based in the city.

At this point, we as an ALS have absolutely no engagement with the city administration with regard to, no formal engagement with the city with regard to the top level domain. And you know, [inaudible] if that's case, some changes have to happen. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thank you so much Tom. If you could put... I notice your Google Doc, that's great, thank you so much. I did see Joe Catapano on GSE typing, and I wondered if he wanted to make any announcements or new business?

JOE CATAPANO:

Hey Glenn. I was just, as I typed in the chat, I just wanted to, while you guys were talking about newsletters before, I just wanted to send out a reminder that I put together one quarterly, it goes out quarterly for the region, and if anybody have stories, you can please feel free to submit them to me. I do link to Eduardo's newsletter in each issue, but if you have anything else that you're interested in possible seeing for inclusion in, please send it to me.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Joe, before you go, can you give us a little update on the [rights con?]? I know you were there as well.

JOE CATAPANO: I was actually not there.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: My apologies.

JOE CATAPANO: Yeah. Chris went and I don't think he's on this call. I can ask him to give you an update next time if you would like.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Okay, no, I know Leah was there, I believe, but I don't think we have Leah as a voice on this call. Tom, did you have an additional comment or is that an old hand?

TOM LOWENHAUPT: Sorry, and old hand.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Okay, anyone else, comments or any other business? Okay, so the last issue we need to discuss is our next meeting. So, it's prior to the next ICANN meeting, so it will be as normal, the normal time that's on the Monday. So we hope to see you, and if there is any suggestions for the agenda, please let Judith and myself know.

---

Again, thanks so much for joining us today. Judith, any other comments? Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

So, I will... The next meeting, according to the schedule, I think we are the second Monday of every month, so that would be, the second Monday, that would be on the 13<sup>th</sup>, and that is a Jewish holiday so I will not be there, but you're welcome to have the meeting without me. So that's all I wanted to say.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you Judith. And I'm a Pagan, so I will be here. So thanks everybody for joining us, and we'll see you next month.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**