
GISELLA GRUBER:

...the recording has started now. Thank you very much Alan.

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the ALAC leadership team meeting on Friday the 29th of April at 13:00 UTC.

On today's call we have Alan Greenberg, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Holly Raiche, Leon Sanchez, Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Ron Sherwood, Julie Hammer.

Apologies noted from Sandra Hoferichter.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang, Silvia Vivanco, Yesim Nazlar, and myself Gisella Gruber.

If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. I'm not sure how long this meeting will last. We have, in theory, scheduled for 90 minutes, it may in fact be less because I think we over allocated time for some of the items, but we'll see. I certainly won't mind an extra half hour being turned back. I assume no one else will either.

The first item is policy development. Ariel, I'll turn it over to you.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you Alan. This is Ariel Liang for the record. Compared to the previous ALAC call, we don't have much change in terms of the public comments. There is only one new one, it's for the release for the country and territory names within the dot [inaudible] dot [inaudible] and dot Go Daddy TLDs.

And Alan, I presume, we'll have no statement for that one.

ALAN GREENBERG: Probably. I was given a heads up that there are some people who are upset with Go Daddy because of how they're handling one of the new TLDs. And they are contemplating putting in a comment because of that. I personally do not see the connection between this and how Go Daddy has made a business decision on a specific TLD, but conceivably we could get a comment coming in from someone.

I doubt if it will be such that we would put it forward as an ALAC comment, but one can't say until you see it.

ARIEL LIANG: So in the meantime, do you suggest I just keep it open?

ALAN GREENBERG: I would suggest so. I really cannot see a connection between the two issues, but I'm not going to presume someone won't make one.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. Thank you Alan. And next is about the statement of the draft ICANN FY 17 operating plan and budget. Tijani has incorporated comment and suggested [inaudible] and publish the finalized version on the Wiki. And later tomorrow, the vote will open for the ALAC.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I don't know whether to be encouraged or disappointed that all of our comments are not really substantive, and we're pointing out a number of improvements on how things are presented, places where they can, you know, makes things clearer or more transparent, but they all are relatively minor ones, and I guess that's a good sign.

As a result, other than the discussion on the multi-year funding, I'm not sure what the meeting that is scheduled, I don't remember when it is, in a few weeks, with Board members and Finance to discuss our comments. I'm not quite sure how that's going to go, but Heidi, Olivier. I don't see any hands. I think I heard Olivier and Heidi, either of you want to speak, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier, [inaudible] for Heidi. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I don't have anything to add for that. If you have questions, I can certainly ask them to the people who are organizing the call.

ALAN GREENBERG:

There was one, I implied it in an email but maybe I didn't state it clearly as a question to you. The session they claim is there partly in response to a ATRT recommendation, which seems to say there should be Board interaction with ACs on the budget, not necessarily on our comments to the budget.

So I guess I'd like a clarification, they also said they don't plan to talk, they just plan to listen. So, or don't plan to answer questions, I think was the wording in the message that I saw. So I guess I'm a little bit confused how this relates to that ATRT item. It seems to be the exact opposite of what it was recommending.

So, if you can get any clarification, I'm not sure there will be any, but it might be helpful. Have we announced that meeting, the ALAC in general?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Gisella?

I have not. This is Heidi. I have not seen it yet.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay, then we should because clearly the invitation said the ALAC, even though the emails never went to the ALAC.

Of course, the time was set based on the people they sent these Doodle emails to, so this is all, let's presume it's the first year and it will get better next year perhaps. Any other items on the policy statements?

We will be talking about the second half of the budget submission in a moment, but not under this item. Olivier, did you still want to speak?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. No, just to let you know that the GNSO is also filing some comments on the FY 17 budget. It's interesting to note that I think each SO, or at least that SO that I am aware of, following it, is looking specifically at items that are items that are directly related to them. And again, nothing really hugely substantial.

There were some questions about full-time employees. But there is also again a question of this full-time employees when it comes down to the IANA stewardship transition budget, and it's funny because this is something we have mentioned a number of times in the past, certainly the overall concern that ICANN is still not showing exactly how much is spent by each SO and AC, and it does introduce confusion across the community as to how much is spent by what department.

As we know, the answer that we've been given always was that many people go across different communities and are employed on more than one project, so there is this grid, or cross-grid that goes on, and we still haven't found a solution for this. I'm not sure if there is a solution for it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, apparently the new accounting system was put in place to address just things like that. At least that's what I'm told by Board members,

that's not a bad issues to raise in this discussion with Board members on the budget. Of course, the real question is, do you really want the numbers to show?

Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much Alan. Tijani speaking. Do you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, we do.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. I'd like to say that they didn't say they will not talk, they said they will not answer the questions. I think the purpose of this call that they asked for, is just explain if there is any, how to say, if we made a comment, that they can, for example, un-comprehension. They will try to explain it, but they will not answer the questions if we made a comment, but they really comment or they will...

And they not think [inaudible] anything to do with the recommendation of [inaudible]. It is not only for the ACs, it is for the ACs and SOs, for all the comments of the constituencies. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, thank you. Anyone else? All right, let's go on to the next item. The next item is CCWG CWG status. Other than, we're going to have to figure out how, how we're creating our comments on the bylaws, which

we talked about a little bit on the ALAC meeting, and I haven't had a lot of volunteers. I don't know, maybe something will come out of our IANA issues meeting this afternoon. Other than that, I'm not sure what other updates there are.

There is a very contentious issues on the table right now, about some statements that were inserted into the bylaws, to attempt to make sure that no one could challenge the contracts we have with PTI, or with the other communities, but it is being objected to strenuously, largely by the other communities, although a couple of people within the direct ICANN world, as being too open ended, because it's referring to documents that have not been created yet.

So, I'm not quite sure how that one is going to be resolved. Maybe Leon has some wisdom on that, since my information is now two days old. Leon...?

LEON SANCHEZ: ...information. Yes, I am here. No additional information, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Was my synopsis, which I did in the middle of my night, I listened in the middle of my night, so was the synopsis relatively accurate to describe the issue?

LEON SANCHEZ: I believe it is.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I certainly have a little bit of concern that I can imagine, for instance, governments who do not approve of the whole IANA concept and how they are not in absolute control, to question some of these contracts and agreements. I don't think individuals are likely to, but I can see major powers doing it, and it does worry me a little bit. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. We are under very, very tight deadlines. Have these squabbles got any chance of derailing the process or delaying it for a little bit?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. Because these are things that were not specified by the CCWG, and there are some people, including our lawyers, and curiously enough, both ICANN Legal and the hired external council, seem to believe that they're important, but they are not directly in the words of the CWG. Again, that's my reading of the subject.

Anyone else? It's going to go really quickly at this rate. I'm happy with that, but I want to make sure that...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Holly and I go yeah on that one. [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, do we really have stuff to talk about this afternoon, or my afternoon on the IANA issues call?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks Alan. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Yes, there is a little bit of an update to let everybody know about the input from Chuck Gomez, which was done privately but with input from the members of the design team O, DTO. There is also just a call to review the bylaws, and specifically those effecting the IANA stewardship side of things.

I don't think that we will spend any time on it, but it's just to sort of point people out to the right document and get everyone to be updated on this and read through it. And I guess that on the accountability side, I would certainly be interested in hearing a summary of where we are, what's been agreed so far, what the current problems are, and I'm not sure if anybody on the ICG has anything to update, but I wonder whether anyone knows how things are progressing on the NTIA side, and with the US government.

We're under very tight deadlines, as I said earlier, and of course there is a concern certainly, from me and I'm sure others, to be aware of what's going on. And of course, we've got to prepare ourselves for this forthcoming input. So maybe we can spend half an hour on the call this afternoon, sorry, afternoon for me, night for someone else, morning for someone else, in a few hours [CROSSTALK]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...04:00 [inaudible]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: This wonderful, bright morning we can think of...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, may I suggest we don't do our absolute, ultimate best to fill the hour and a half we have allocated?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It will all depend on you Alan, because my bit, I think, is about 20 minutes. The rest of it is up to you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Holly and Cheryl, to the extent that you plan to be on the call, can't do anything about the start time. I can try to fix the end time, but that's only going to give you more time for breakfast.

All right, the other issue related to CWG CCWG is Heidi tells me that there is some interest or concern in staff on how we are going to select the CSC liaison. I'm not quite sure why this is viewed as a showstopper. Because I was, I would have presumed that we would have used our normal mechanism, perhaps with a committee to evaluate skill sets because there is a skill set requirement that goes along with it.

But I don't see that as a showstopper, and if we choose not to have a liaison day one, then we will not have a liaison day one. So I'm not quite sure what the crisis mode is, given that we have other things that

are perhaps more urgent, but I'll let Heidi speak if she wants and then open it up to anyone else who has any input on this.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, thank you Alan. Sorry if I indicated any kind of concern, no, it is the opposite. It is literally just pre-planning, others internal group was asking the various support teams for the various ACs and SOs their groups various processes, and then some possible options. So I did explain what I thought would be, what you would choose to do, which is what I'm hearing Alan, that that's all, that's the only point.

And I just thought maybe you wanted some more details on that to discuss the details.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I can certainly, you know, I've given my opinion. Anyone else has any input on it. I just don't see it as one of our high priorities right now, and it doesn't need to be in place for another six months or so at best, and we have the option of saying we'll select someone later. So I'm just not sure that is something I really want to focus on at this point. Anyone else have any thoughts, cares?

No? Anyone else, last call on any issues related to agenda item number four.

Then we will go to agenda item number eight next, that is with regard to, I think it's the eight. Sorry, number six, the item on the document to be submitted with the budget comment on multi-year planning for RALO GAs and summits. The status is, I have not done the revision yet.

It will have to be done today. I have forwarded to you the input I receive from staff on the, some of the metrics associated with the summits and At-Large, and peripherally, on the GA, the number that have attended, and the impact. I will try to integrate that into it, to the extent that it fits, I'm not quite sure, we're certainly not going to put a lot of data in, but just trying to add substance to the, if only anecdotal substance, to the fact that there is a lot more activity that follows these meetings than before, and overall the total numbers are ramping up.

The one metric I will include is the total number of meetings that we hold a year, just to confirm to people that we don't sit around idly waiting for ALAC meetings. The number we found in 2015 is 234 meetings. That comes out to about one and a half per day on the average, looking at sort of all of the working days that are available, that we normally use, Monday to Thursday of the weeks that are not associated with ICANN meetings, or the New Year's vacation.

I'm not... Some people may look at that and say, only one and a half meetings per day? That's worthy of a yawn. To be honest, I thought the number was going to be higher than that. I seem to attend on average a lot more than one and a half meetings a day, but that is what the numbers seem to come to, because that of course is every day. And the days we don't have meetings, we don't tend to be as impacted as much.

I see Olivier and Holly with their hands up. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. And the respond to you spending more time than the average amount of time on these calls, is because you're also on the GNSO calls and the cross community working group calls, which I think are not included in this full scenario. So we have to think on whether we also would show that At-Large members also take part in the CCWG accountability, or at least just mention it, the cross community working groups, and the GNSO working groups.

Second, I just wanted to.... Yeah, sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I was just going to say that was mentioned, but I'll make sure it is mentioned in relation to that, but go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Second, I'm not sure where you will be putting this data in the document. And third, I just wanted to commend you on the executive summary. It's a great start to the paper and certainly shows what our intentions are with the paper in less than, you know, just been in two paragraphs or three paragraphs.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. To be honest, I haven't gone back to the paper since I've got the numbers. There is some place where we already talk about, that we do a lot of things between meetings, and I think that's probably where it fits, but I can't honestly remember where that is. Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: To repeat something I said in an earlier thing, when you have statistics, would it be possible to convey is a lot of this all to do, not just the ICANN, the IANA stuff, but some of us actually sit on a lot of GNSO meetings as well. It's unquantifiable, but [inaudible]. And maybe that we just need a sentence to say, and it's not possible to compute all of the meetings, but everybody attends that are not ALAC meetings.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand that. What I don't know is how to compute the average even for the workers. If you take me, I attend a lot of At-Large meetings, even though I might not have, you know, but because I'm chair I do, but even before I attended a modest number of them. I also participated in several, prior to CWG CCWGs several working groups, but that only adds two or three meetings per week.

Which isn't quite enough to justify the perception I have that there are seven meetings every day, and I'm sure the perception that Cheryl has. So I'm not quite sure how to, you know, how to do that.

HOLLY RAICHE: [Inaudible] I think all you have to say is, it's too difficult to compute all the meetings, a part from the ALAC meetings that people attend whether they are [inaudible], whether they are IANA, whatever. And just indicate that the number that you've got has also left a lot of other meetings out.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, noted.

HOLLY RAICHE: Can't do any better than that, really. Not worth it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I mean, if you look at the number... There is about 40 weeks in the year, if you exclude ICANN meetings, and you know, the long period around New Year's. 40 weeks' times 230 meetings, you can do the arithmetic, it's about seven, eight meetings a week, typically spread over four days, although we've been running into Friday a lot more than we used to.

So adding another two or three meetings a week, almost doubles it for those who are attending those meetings. So it still doesn't get to what I think I'm doing, or Cheryl is doing, or a few others, but it's the best I can come up with, with metrics.

HOLLY RAICHE: I think you can't do any better except to say what we have measured is a lot of time, a lot of people putting in outside of the meetings that we're able to count. And just leave it separate.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, noted. Anything else on the document? As I said, I apologize for not having a revised one. There is so many hours in the day, and the number of ad-hoc things which seem to come out of the blue. There is

a document, no sorry, I'll go into under another item. Go ahead.
Anyone else on anything of the document?

Seeing nothing, then I will do a cleanup. I will ask, is someone on staff going to be available to do a final review? Or has someone else already done an almost final review in terms of looking for typos, things like that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Alan, I can do that. Ariel might be available as well. I have it on my list of things to do today.

ALAN GREENBERG: It probably won't get out until moderately late tonight, I'm afraid. Probably, well, maybe not too late your time, but late my time. And I'm guessing we will not submit until close to the deadline tomorrow. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks Alan. Just quickly. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Has anyone from this call read through the document as being in the shoes of someone from the GNSO or ccNSO, for example? You know, we have to also convince the other SOs and ACs of our good intents, and I guess I'm too tainted to put myself in such shoes.

But someone who might have not been involved with writing this, could have a fresh look over that and see if they were suspicious or anything that could be convinced by what this document conveys.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I think there is going to be a lot of reaction for those who actually bothered to notice it, because we're talking about, you know, several hundred thousand dollars per year, on the average. Well, yeah, something like that, because if you look at the last summit, which was \$700,000 and then the sum of the GAs that preceded it, probably adding another 200,000 or something close to that into the picture, we have close to a million dollars spread over five years.

There is no question it's going to cause some people to look at it. And the cynics who believe we're not doing anything, or doing things negative to their interests, are clearly not going to be happy with that. I don't think there is any way we can turn that around, and all we can do is presume the Board will have enough strength to go forward with it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

It's Olivier speaking. Would it be, for example, and I'm just taking that person as an example, sharing this with one of our Irish friends, let's say, who is very active in the bar sometimes, and might be able to cast a slightly different eye over the document?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Since he made a big fuss over the opening over the African office, or the engagement center, I'm not 100% sure that's the best strategy. It's a public document at this point, if you want to share it you may. I'm not sure that's where I would focus my... Heidi, you've had people been looking at it inside, do you have any feedback at that level?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Well I haven't, the people that I'm referring to commenting, what I just asked you Alan, was not in relation to the white paper, it's simply in relation to some of the more bigger, the bigger events that we've been having recently. And the optics of some of the, shall we say, other comparable groups within some ACs and SOs.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can you say that less cryptically? Are you talking about the party in Marrakech, or something else?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Among others, yeah, among others. [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: That created a fair amount of negative reaction, and I can understand that. And unfortunately it was tagged an At-Large event. We may not have funded it but [CROSSTALK]. In people's minds, it was an At-Large event.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Anyway, yes. So...

ALAN GREENBERG: Look at who was on the stage talking.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I did, I did, yes. And I saw other [inaudible]. But anyway, basically yeah, some of the smaller, newer groups within the ACs and SOs might be looking at At-Large activities over the last few years and wondering why they're not given equal types of events. So that's a concern that, you know, you might be faced with.

ALAN GREENBERG: If ICANN cuts back the funding of those parties, in lieu of letting us do our work properly, I would support it. Maybe not everybody else, but I would. But I can't undo the past. You know, we have had some pretty lavish affairs, and we invite everybody, not just At-Large. So it looks like we're putting on parties for people. There is no question about it.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here. Quite frequently, the ICANN financial input on supporting those is [inaudible] to a very specific, and I think reasonable number, on something that would pale [inaudible] sponsorship amount for the other events that are put on during ICANN meetings in particular. So these are sort of the [inaudible] that we can have when we get into the public comment.

I mean, this is [inaudible] the BS that comes out in [inaudible] review commentaries from the NCSG with relation to what [inaudible] believes is North American specific expenditure At-Large, just as a throwaway line on why [geo?] regions should be [inaudible] differently. You know, there is no shortage of BS that have managed that, you know?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I agree. I don't think we have a substance problem here, but we do have a perception problem, and I don't think we can change that other than arguing back with hard numbers when the comments come. I don't think you can change the perceptions and probably not the beliefs in some cases.

I saw another hand but it disappeared.

Seeing nothing, hearing nothing, let us go back to the item we missed, which is ICANN 56, and I will turn it over to, although it just says me, I'm presuming it is Gisella, but I do have one bit of information to contribute to the pile first. When I talked to Thomas yesterday, we did talk about a face to face GAC ALAC meeting.

He agreed it would be useful. His current belief, not backed up by anything I have heard officially, is that the afternoon sessions, the community afternoon sessions, that Monday and Thursday will be allocated as opportunities for bilateral types of meetings, and Tuesday and Wednesday will be the community plenary type sessions.

So that's what he understands right now. If that turns out to be true, he is suggesting that we take one of the Monday sessions, and allocate it to GAC ALAC. Clearly Thursday is too late, at the end of the final session, they're planning on drafting their communique, which they will be going ahead with, the standard communique on Thursday morning. Clearly it would be better to do it early in the week, and the conclusion we came to is if the Monday and Thursday are not going to be used, as he has heard rumors they might, then we should probably try and cut

something out of our regular agendas, so that we do have an opportunity to meet.

Comments? Gisella, go ahead. And Heidi, have you heard anything that indicates that he may have good information?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, this is Heidi. Yes, I spoke with [inaudible] a few days ago, and I think they're still working on that. But yes, my understanding is that those afternoon meetings would be somewhat flexible. And if what you're hearing is when they do [inaudible]...

ALAN GREENBERG: Monday, Thursday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Monday, Thursday, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: I see Holly and then Gisella. Gisella, do you want to get in quickly, or was your hand up to do the review? Your hand is down now. Holly, go ahead.

HOLLY RAICHE: Just a thought. I realize that there is absolutely no space here, I'm going to somehow manage to meet with Larissa about the At-Large review. I don't know if anybody else wants to be there, and I don't know if there

is time, but Gisella, if there is any time at all, if we could manage even a small bit, because by that time, the independent examiner would have been announced, and it might be a really good time to just go through where we are and update on the timeline.

If there is time to do so. I don't know but, it's just a thought.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Holly, there is no question there will be a workgroup slot for the working party, and there is no question that there will be a general part of the general ALAC RALO leadership time allocated to At-Large review. We can't avoid that, even if we wanted to.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Okay, fine, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I mean, we have to give an opportunity for the community as a whole to meet the reviewers and have some level of interaction, exactly what that will be... Until the reviewers are announced and we talk to them, it is sort of hard to exactly plan that, that is what [CROSSTALK], but I can't imagine that, in a moment, I can't imagine that we will not set aside 45 minutes or an hour in a general session at the very least. Yes Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Just very quickly. I've already spoken to [inaudible] about the really the high need to set aside time as well as space for the individual interviews, so she is aware of that. Apparently the venue has a lot of areas for semi-private meeting sessions, so I think that won't be a problem.

ALAN GREENBERG: Gisella, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you Alan. Gisella here. Sorry, Holly, just to respond to your question, yes, we definitely have time set [inaudible] for the review. I've been asked, [inaudible] and I have been in contact now for over a week just to work on this, and to find a slot. We've been requested to find a 90 minute slot, and due to the fact that we are looking for a 90 minute slot, that we have to have this meeting, that Rinalia would need to be there, as well as the independent examiner, I'm looking into holding this over one of the lunch sessions in order not to clash with any other meetings, otherwise we're likely to spend the time trying to find the time for a suitable time for everyone, which may be quite challenging due to the current schedule.

Also with regards to the meetings with the examiner, as Heidi said, there are spaces to do this, and I will be working on this project as well. With regards to just coming back to the general session, not that much has changed since the ALAC meeting on Tuesday. Just to point out, that I have put on the Monday afternoon, that they're likely to hold one hour to have a GAC and ALAC session. If for whatever reason, it's not going

to be held on the Monday, you'll see this day, I've just put in a 75 minute holding slot, which means that however we juggle the schedule around, we still have this holding slot which will be for the GAC.

If we do it on the Monday afternoon, this gives us a little bit more wiggle room during the week. My question is, also, and Alan, we've got eight and a quarter hours currently set aside for ALAC working sessions, which includes the wrap up on the Thursday. Does everyone think that is enough? Apparently we can start our meetings at 8:00 in the morning. Now since I had that information, I can easily juggle the schedule around a little bit more, and insert a few additional slots, for at least half an hour here and there, on a few sessions.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I think we would probably end up doing that. Eight hours is more than, in my memory, is probably more than we typically had in a regular meeting, that actually allows us to sit and talk. I suspect we've been sitting in the six to seven hour for the last couple of meetings. So we should be good, but to be...

I know I'm going to get negative comments from staff on this, but I have no problem, setting a meeting, and then announcing closer in, or saying we will meet at 8 instead of 8:30, or whatever the official start time is, and then as long as we do it in enough time to let people with remote participation know, that if we want to cut it back, we can.

I know from a staffing perspective, and remote participation, that makes it a little bit harder, but you know, that's something that I think we can consider. Last time we had no problem filling up the time, and

we ended up running over on some items that just never got addressed, so I suspect we're going to be okay at this point. We admittedly do not have CCWG accountability to take up six hours, but I think we will have more time to do some leisurely discussion on things.

So I'm comfortable with the eight, as we have right now. If it looks like it's going to start getting pushed, we have the expansion to start early.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Alan, Gisella here. Just again, to point out, I think I said so on Tuesday, they'll be holding a slot on Monday morning to have an ALT breakfast, depending on where people will be, at which hotels, etc. I'm working with meetings team on that. And then the Friday slot, I've added it as well, as the closed meeting which I believe is likely to happen.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Really? Okay, I haven't heard anything on that yet.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Okay. That's just me then being overly eager on that one.

ALAN GREENBERG:

All right, one quick comment and then I see Olivier has his hand, Cheryl has her hand up. In terms of the quote, private meeting space to hold interviews, is your sense that this means there are seats in the middle of the coffee area, where people will continually walk by and start conversations, even if there is an interview going on? Or are we talking

about office space, like the rooms in the dungeons in Marrakech? Which I thought were quite appropriate for some of those kinds of discussions.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Two options. One is that there might be an additional secondary room available for the ALAC, and then that one would be available if there is no other parallel meeting going on. And the other possibility which is going to be likely to be more used, would be what I understood from [inaudible], that the venue has not, in addition to cafeteria, but a lot of other private spaces around it. Semi-private. Not absolutely closed door private, but areas where we'll should not be too disturbed.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. I'll take it on face. I would like to assume that we've put in our standard requests and plea that the coffee areas not be four hours away, number one. And that they not close down on railroad train schedules. Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks Alan. Cheryl for the record. Just having had a look of the availability of where hotels of any particular size that we would likely to be [inaudible] in, are in relationship to the venue, and knowing the definition by Scandinavian of what is walkable and how... I wonder whether this is a walkable because it's flat?

And yes, I am biased guys. I realize this, but the reality is, especially in the first morning meetings, there is walkable and there is walkable at a

high speed which allows you to arrive at 8 AM or 8:30, in a somewhat exhausted state, if you rushed from, you know, 7 AM having got up for a 6 or a 5:30 breakfast.

And do the hotels even start breakfast before 6:30? Yeah, those are the questions I assume have been asked, but I just want to put them on the record, to you know, is there even going to be shuttles? You know, probably not because Helsinki is known as, you know, [inaudible] and walkable, but that does influence how much time, logistically, we even allow people to walk, let alone eventually get taxies or whatever.

And it depends on where we go with it. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: If the city is shutdown, as people say, who knows if taxies are working?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Indeed. It just may make a 30 to 40 minute difference on your staffing, if people literally can't get there, is open the doors and starting, it doesn't help, or the bums in seats are filled until, you know, close to noon.

ALAN GREENBERG: And do recall, we also have the new issue that at all ICANN meetings, not just Marrakech, we're going to have the security we had there. And if there are not adequate scanners and things like that, we can have queues outside the building. Hopefully, this will be small enough attendance that it won't be an issue, but Olivier go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. And I wanted to let you, give you a quick update on the outreach and engagement, which is turning out to be a bit of an uphill struggle for the very reason of what you have been talking about just now. I've also contacted [inaudible], who is also from Finland, to try and find out if there were any universities or organizations we could visit on the Monday morning, where it says outreach and engagement.

No response so far. I don't know really what to do. I mean, should I ask for a conference call with Yrjö and then you know push on this? And try and see if we can work out just a few, maybe with you as well Alan? Work out any establishment that could receive us on the Monday morning, or should we just drop the idea all together?

I'm a little concerned about dropping this, and just saying, oh we've got an open day, let people come and see us. The only alternative I could think of, and I've discussed this with Gisella, is that we could have the Fellows or the NextGen come and visit us, for let's say an hour, and have an open discussion with them, and you know, questions, answers, anything they want.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, Heidi, go ahead first.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, so just on that, this is Heidi. Just on that point, yes I've been speaking with a few people, including Dev, and the idea, and he seems

to be in agreement, is that there might be a chance to have two sessions on Monday of one hour, with a coffee break in between them, the first would be for the NextGen students, where there would basically be a general introduction to At-Large.

And then the second session would be with the Fellows, and that would go a deeper discussion of policy issues. And again, the fellows that will be in Helsinki would be alumni, so they are going to be more advanced.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Heidi, are you talking about At-Large wide participation in these, or in parallel with At-Large meetings? [CROSSTALK] Did you just cut out two and a half hours of our meetings [CROSSTALK]?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Well, the idea was that at least one of those hours would be the actual meeting of the subcommittee of outreach and engagement. And the second hour might be an additional meeting of that, or in parallel with an ongoing ALAC discussion.

Sorry, just to, the introduction would probably be just the outreach group, and then the second, deeper one might be some members of the ALAC.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I have no problem doing any of those things if we can fit it into the agenda without impacting it. The sense I'm getting is ICANN as a whole, has given up the concept of outreach in Helsinki. Sebastien, as you

know, has been saying repeatedly, this is stupid. Yes we planned outreach, but we're in Helsinki, let's be realistic. If we find out NCSG is not doing anything, I really don't think we have to struggle so hard to just be able to boast that we had an outreach session.

If it's something that is going to be really productive and useful, then we should do it. But let's not push the boundaries just to make sure we can say we did outreach like we planned. That's how I'm taking it. Olivier, is that a new hand, an old hand, or you want to keep speaking?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

I just want to keep speaking please. It's Olivier speaking. So we really need to work this one out soon, because at the moment, as you can see on the schedule that Gisella has shared with us, as you're absolutely correct Alan, there is one of the outreach and engagement sessions that coexists with the ALAC work session. We have to work out how we are going to work this one out.

We can't move it to the afternoon, because the afternoon is a cross community discussion. So there needs to be something there. [Inaudible] for the outreach and engagement thing at 8:00 in the morning, because that's probably quite unlikely to attract that much attention.

In the meantime, what I will do, I will still follow up with Yjrö and with [inaudible] just in case there is someone we can go and visit out there. But I do understand it's highly unlikely due to the midsummer.

Yeah I was going to mention another thing afterwards, I don't know if you wish to respond to this.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. My own response to that is, we did make the decision, quite some time ago, that the outreach activity would be a subset group that we can continue meetings in parallel. If that's going to change radically, then clearly we need to know that, and that means need to be a conscious decision, not just the fallout of that's the only outreach we could ever think of, therefore that's what we're going to do.

You know, I think we need to be flexible on this, and make sure that if we do outreach, that it is, it's productive use of the time of whoever is involved in this. And likely to have some real impact on the people that we're outreaching to, without being more descriptive. Olivier, go on to whatever else you have please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. So we'll need your guidance on this as to what you want to stage in the second ALAC work session, and who you are ready to let go of to do outreach and engagement. Secondly, I just wanted to bring you up to date on the... So now we're moving to the Tuesday afternoon. Tuesday afternoon you will notice in a little purple pink color, after 18:00 it says, joint Civil Society and EURALO event with a question mark.

I have discussed this with Heidi and Gisella, and this looks like something we would be able to probably to do. It would be a little bit

like what was done in Dublin. So just a networking event at the convention center. It would be about an hour, from 18:00 to 19:00. And secondly, there is the ISOC Finland is hosting a get together for ISOCers, in fact that's likely to be a wider event, which would actually be for everyone, and would transform itself into the jam session, along the same lines of what we've done in Marrakech.

There are concerns over how many people we can have in the venue that was earmarked by ISOC Finland, but I'm working this one out as well with Yrjö and the people locally in Finland. Bearing in mind, this is very far north, so the sun will go down about 11:30 midnight, which means indoors and outdoors is very lovely at that time of the year. That's all, thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Is the Civil Society networking event, is that a networking event with glasses in your hand?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. I believe so, but Heidi might be able to know whether it's soft or hard drinks.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, and it would be a bit of both. And it would... Basically the SO would be food, there would be, I think, I haven't seen the prices for catering, but I think that there should be able to be some pretty significant finger food and something to drink.

ALAN GREENBERG: Let's make sure it's not flagged as an At-Large party. [CROSSTALK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, definitely, and again, just on that point. I have my hand raised for another point, but on that, if it was a networking event then it might figure for EURALO as well as for Civil Society, it might be useful to have just a few people from those various Civil Society groups, to say just a few words, or someone talk a little bit about what that is.

If I could come back briefly to the outreach and engagement?

ALAN GREENBERG: Please go ahead, but note that we're working really hard to make sure that we don't have any spare time in this meeting. So go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So just very quickly, given that the challenges that we look like we're going to be facing for actually going out to someone and meeting with someone, the idea of having the Next Gen and the Fellows come to us, would seem like a win-win situation for both groups.

ALAN GREENBERG: Is that different from what you said a few minutes ago? [CROSSTALK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: So my point is, again, I think that having the Next Gen and the Fellows, come and speak, firstly to the subcommittee on outreach and engagement, and then perhaps the second hour, perhaps someone like Olivier, who is not an ALAC member, could come and speak with them with a few others. I don't think it would require that many members of the ALAC to disturb their meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted. Anyone else on this agenda item?

Nothing, then onto item number seven. And this is flagged as the update on the working group document, something showed up in my email, well I saw just as I was getting up this morning. Is there a document that we can display on the screen quickly? I don't want to spend a lot of time talking about, I just want to see what status it's in.

I haven't looked at this document at all yet. All right. All right, I'm not quite sure what this... Okay. So this is all working groups, again. I thought we had decided we're just going to focus on the ones that have potential problems.

HEIDI ULLRICH: There are different... Yes, my understanding is that there is a list of passive working groups as well. So there is an overall one, and then there is passive, and then there is archived.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. On the groups that are not exceedingly active, and I don't want to... If archive means we had them once, we closed them down, I don't think we need to look at them right now.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, there is one that is a BMSPC, that is currently archived. And then there is the other, the other group that whose name escapes me at the moment [CROSSTALK] or something, yeah. [CROSSTALK] Thank you. Those probably need to come back into the active.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. I really don't want to spend time talking about how we classify these groups. It's quite clear that those groups were active a while ago, were going to become active again. It's somewhat moot whether we classify them. What we're really looking at here is groups that are on the books, but aren't effectively doing anything, and we either need to revitalize or close, or do something to.

So it looks like we have... The lists we are looking at are the ones called passive. What would I like, and Maureen volunteered to do this a long time ago, but I guess it's coming back onto the front burner. And what I would like from Maureen in enough time so that we can talk... We have it well in advance of the next ALAC meeting so we can talk about it, at the ALAC meeting or perhaps defer to Helsinki, we'll have to look at the timing on that, is to look at the groups that are marked as passive, and make a recommendation.

Now I don't want to agonize over that. Let's just get a recommendation from one person who is looking at it, and it's a focal point we can discuss about, and make some decisions on them, and I would also appreciate, Maureen, if you look at the groups that are marked active, and confirm that in your mind, they are indeed active. Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much Alan. It's Tijani speaking. I would like just to bring your attention on the fact that we have at least two, two groups two committees, that [inaudible] both the [inaudible] all the time, but they cannot be in archive. Those are DNSSEC and BCEC. We always will have them, they will change every time when you make a selection, but they have work and for selection, to prepare the Board, etc.

So I don't think [inaudible] active after the selection, but they have [inaudible]... the next selection. So I would like to put them in archive [inaudible]. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Tijani. Yes, you're correct. That's what I was saying before, but I don't want to spend time now talking about what we call them. We know that they have seasonal, essentially, you know, participation as we go through the process. So we know that's the case. Let's not agonize over the title. Clearly, if we abolish them, we would have to recreate them, and unless we're really looking for extra work, we'll try to keep things simple.

Anyone else? Tijani, is that a new hand?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, old hand.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Anything else on this item? If not, let's go onto the next item. And that's the review of the last ALAC meeting. Are there any action items that we need to discuss or any other issues that we need to bring up at this point? Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. I put that on there because I believe that there are several. And I don't know if you want to discuss them, but just to flag them. The ROPs, I mean, that's been assigned to Alan, Cheryl, and Tijani. On the issue of inviting the CEO, I've written to people about that. I think that, we're going to try... I don't know what the planning process is going to be, so I will get back to you on that.

And I think that's it. I think everything else is in process.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. The next item on the agenda is an in camera session. So I'm afraid we're going to have to eject Ron again. We keep doing this to you. Hopefully, we will not be doing this on a regular basis.

And we need to stop the recordings.

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, Gisella here. We're just going to stop the...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, I need to drop off now, but no doubt you'll let me know later on...

ALAN GREENBERG: Will do. Thank you Olivier. I may or may not be able to get to that call, because something else filled in the gap I had.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No worries. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: And I'll wait for staff to tell me that everything is ready for the session, for the discussion.

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, Gisella here. If you just bear with me for a second, Ron is still in the Adobe Connect room.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, Ron has left the Adobe Connect room. We can stop the recordings now.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you. Kerry, if you'd be so kind as to confirm that the recording has started again. It's back on, thank you. Over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. The ALT met in camera to discuss processes and people associated with appointments being made. We have some tentative decisions, which will be firmed out via email, and then announced in the near future to the ALAC and the world.

We now go on to any other business. Is there anyone who has any item?

Seeing no hands, hearing nothing, I will call this meeting to an end. Thank you all for your participation. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]