
YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to today's ALAC subcommittee on outreach and engagement call taking place on Monday 25th of April 2016 at 19:00 UTC.

On today's call on the English channel we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Daniel Nanghaka, Remmy Nweke, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Maureen Hilyard, Wolf Ludwig, Siranusy Vardanyan, Beran Dondeh, Yuliya Morenets, Alan Greenberg, Glenn McKnight, Ali Almeshal, Jaqueline Morris, and Sebastien Bachollet.

On the Spanish channel we have Harold Arcos and Raitme Citterio.

Currently we don't have anyone on the French channel, and we don't have any apologies either.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, Janice Lange, and myself Yesim Nazlar.

Our Spanish interpreters today are David and [inaudible], and our French interpreters are Isabel and Camilla.

Finally, I'd like to remind everyone to state their names while speaking not only for transcript purposes, but also for interpretation purposes as well. Over to you Dev. Thank you very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much Yesim. This is Dev Anand, and welcome everyone to this call. We have really just two items on this call, and two key items are the planning for outreach activities at ICANN 56, which is now going

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

to be held in Helsinki, Finland, and ideas/suggestions for the CROPP FY 17 program.

So let's get right into it. The planning for outreach activities at ICANN 56 in Finland. So the ICANN 56 meeting is what they call a meeting B type of meeting, according to the new meeting strategy that's currently being implemented for this year, the meeting in Marrakech at ICANN 50, the meeting A, which was a, I would say, a standard ICANN meeting, typically six days.

Meeting B is a different format. And well the key differences are that it's a four day meeting. There are... It is not intended to be as large a meeting as our past meetings. There is no gala event, there is no welcome ceremony and so forth.

Excuse me. And so the ICANN staff has been working on ICANN meeting B schedule, and how it's supposed to work is that there is one specific day which is the Monday that is allocated for outreach and engagement activities. And I say that the Wiki page for this meeting schedule planning has been put up on the Wiki.

So if you look at day one on the Monday, you would see that the sessions allocated from the ALAC, one from 9:15 to 10:30, at 10:45 to 12 noon, and 13:30 to 14:45 sessions for the ALAC. Well, this is showing what the other ACs and SOs are doing, for informative purposes.

So at the ICANN meeting in Marrakech we had a very detailed outreach and engagement program. We had students coming from two universities. One from the city of [inaudible], which is four hours away from the city of Marrakech, and these were brought in on Sunday

evening, and then they were able to attend Monday and Tuesday. And then on the Tuesday, several At-Large persons went to an event at a nearby university and had a panel discussion with the students there.

Now the thing is that, because meeting B is different, and we are now coming to a relatively new territory in a sense that this is supposed to be in the LAC region, and now it's going to be in the European region due to the, well the rescheduling or replacement of Panama to Helsinki, Finland.

So, I just want to have, bring out some ideas and discussion. And I guess I want to call on staff to also give some inputs. So the Monday is for the outreach and engagement. Would we have similar facilities or opportunities similar to that in Marrakech? For example, would we have the ability of transport persons into the meeting? Or would we have the opportunity for transport to go to a nearby place where we could do an outreach discussion?

And I guess, well not guess, but call on heavily on the EURALO persons. I see Sebastien, Olivier, Wolf on the call. So I think their input is going to be pretty vital or crucial. So I see Sebastien has a hand raised, go ahead.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, thank you very much. I am not sure that... Frankly, I don't understand why the discussion made at EURALO is not going through to this group. It's holidays in Finland, it's midsummer, Yrjö would have been much better than me to say all of that, but it will be very difficult to have people coming or going to any places because it's really supposed to be a week without meetings and it's holidays.

And we can dream and spend time in discussing all of that. I really don't think we need to discuss that anymore. It's a B meeting, yes. We are supposed to do outreach, yes. But it would have been great in Panama, yes. In Finland, it's not the right time. It's not the right organization, then let's take this day to do something else.

But I don't think this group needs to spend any more time on discussing this issue today. I'm sorry to be blunt, but I really think it's a situation currently going on in Finland, at that time. When we will be arriving, it's midsummer, and it's the week just before July and people are taking this week, and sometime more weeks to go on holidays.

Sorry for that, but it's not the right period to go to Finland to do outreach. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks Sebastien. Thanks for those inputs. I see agreement or tick mark from Cheryl on that. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. Tijani speaking. With the risk to disagree with my friend, Sebastien, it would be a pity to not make an outreach during, because first B meeting. I think that we need to lay on the EURALO to make the necessary compact, perhaps to organize something, because those things are not organized when we arrive. They should be done before.

So I think it is the right time to make the right contacts, try to find one or two universities, especially the universities dealing with IT's, and try

to have the possibility or opportunity to talk to the students and the teachers there.

And also to bring some of them to our meeting, perhaps not too much, so that they will see how our meetings are going on, and how we are working. So for me, it's a real pity not to do outreach for the first B meeting of our schedule. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks Tijani. I see there is a queue. Sebastien and then Olivier.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes. Thank you Dev. Tijani, I agree with you that it's a pity, but it's a pity that we move from Panama to Helsinki. It's a pity that the work we have done with LAC regions to organize something in Panama is all put in the water, in the garbage, because we are not going to Panama. But not just Yrjö, but I have friends there in Finland, they told me you will not see anybody coming to a meeting during this period.

Full stop. We can rely on EURALO, but EURALO can't invent new situation. Midsummer, it's the holidays, full stop. Closed, the university closed, a lot of offices also and it's very difficult what we can do. It's a pity for B meeting, yes, but that's the situation. We have to take that into account. The reality, sorry. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks Sebastien. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, thank you very much. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. And indeed, I want to reflect what Sebastien has said. We have had a discussion with Yrjö. Midsummer is on the 25th of June. I've sent you a link to what that is. It is the largest feast of the year after, I believe, the largest Pagan feast, certainly based on Viking heritage.

Yrjö did tell us, and he said I don't know where you want to go, but everything will be closed. We said okay. We have to think about that one. So I think before we even start thinking about saying, well, let's go to universities, let's go to schools, let's do outreach, we really need to have someone from Finland on there to tell us what we can do.

But what we've heard so far has been pretty negative, as far as outreach. Especially if the outreach needs to take place on the Monday, which is therefore the Monday after people have been drinking copious quantities. And I'm not kidding here.

This is a thing where [LAUGHTER]. No, no, I have been told this by several Finns, and several Swedes, and several people from Norway who basically said it's the only time of the year when you really are allowed to not remember what happened the day before.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah, hello. Can you hear me? This is Yrjö.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Good to hear you. Okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, Yrjö [CROSSTALK]...

YRJO LANSIPURO: Of course, I don't know what you have been discussing before, but it's true that, especially Finns and Swedes, take midsummer...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. I'm not hearing you anymore.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, lost audio.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Unfortunately, Yrjö, we've lost you. Staff, can we do the magic and go behind the scenes and see if we can get Yrjö back on?

YESIM NAZLAR: Sure Dev, sure.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, while we get Yrjö back on, Cheryl? Olivier, did you have something else to add to this? Or are you done? Okay, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Dev. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record. I was just going to point out what even the most basic of travel logs to this time of year say about the city of Helsinki. One of the charms that we are going to experience on the public holiday, on the day many of us arrive on the Saturday, is going to be the fact that it will be a little like a ghost town, with very few, if any, people walking around the streets.

Just to put it into context. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This is Dev. Thanks for that. Staff, is Yrjö back on the line?

YRJO LANSIPURO: I'm here. Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yrjö, okay, yes, go ahead, and then... Go ahead Yrjö.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah, well what I was saying is that the midsummer holiday is something that the Finns and Swedes take seriously, not only in drinking but actually going away from Helsinki as much as possible, and from other big cities, and through the summer parties and to lakesides and what have you. So that is the Midsummer Eve is, is... Wait a moment.

So that basically, Monday should be okay, accept that people [inaudible] starting from midsummer, whatever evidence there are, you might not

have that great attendance. Could you tell me, what kind of plans you have actually for outreach in Helsinki?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, this is Dev. That's the purpose of this call Yrjö. So because on, you know, just from the activities that we did on meeting A, at the meeting A meeting in Marrakech, we had a day where we had students come in from nearby universities, into the venue for Monday and most of Tuesday.

And then on Tuesday we went, some persons from At-Large went to a nearby university for a panel discussion. So, and there was also a sort of outreach to civil society NGOs with daily sessions on each of the days. But that was for meeting A, which was like the typical regular ICANN meeting.

So the discussions to really find out, well what can we do for meeting B, which is the smaller meeting, which had the Monday allocated for outreach and engagement, what can we do for outreach and engagement? That's what this call is about, to start the discussion on this.

So I think Maureen has her hand raised, for some time now. Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Dev. Maureen for the record. It's an interesting discussion. I just wanted to raise something that came up in our initial discussions about outreach when we sort of like started talking about specifically

meeting B. And it was sort of like the early recommendation for more... You know, if we're not going to be able to engage too much with people actually during the week, but we do want to, you know, provide some sort of outreach about ICANN and what we do and everything.

And the recommendation was to have more pre-meeting preparatory activities carried out by some of the local, local ICANN people, or specific communication via the different medium, the different media that is available before the holiday, that you know we can sort of like spread the word that ICANN is arriving, and if anyone is not, you know, doing anything, they might come along.

But yeah, it seems to be, you know, sort of like, you know, as somebody might have mentioned, since it's going to be something like a ghost town when we arrive. So perhaps we should organize something later in the week, and I was thinking that we might invite them to the cocktail, and add to the celebratory week. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Maureen. This is Dev again. So okay. Well it certainly seems like it would be a challenge to do anything. If I summarize what's been said so far is that even though Monday was the original allocation for meeting B to have outreach and engagement, it would be very hard to do it on a Monday, particularly because of the midsummer starting on the 25th, a day or two before.

Many persons in Helsinki will be, well, will be leaving the city for midsummer and spending the time in the countryside. I know it would be like a ghost town. Let me ask a question, and I think that Glenn

pointed out in the chat, what is NPOC and civil engagement doing for any in or outreach? Perhaps staff can answer that question.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, Dev. This is Heidi.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. So some thoughts that Olivier, and Jean-Jacques, and I have been thinking is that possibly a potential will be to have some sort of joint EURALO and those members of civil society, so that would be At-Large, NCSG, NPOC, etc. to have some sort of networking event with perhaps a roundtable, or a guest speaker, that would draw in at least those groups for a good discussion.

And perhaps people from Helsinki as well. And the date for that might possibly be either Tuesday evening or Wednesday evening. We're aware that there might be a jamming session on Tuesday evening so people can make their way to that after that, after the networking event. And there may also be an event on the Wednesday with Women in DNS, we're looking into that.

So this could be sort of like a cocktail networking event, immediately prior to that event on Wednesday as well.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. [CROSSTALK] Heidi. Go ahead Yrjö and then Olivier.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah. Tuesday evening, what we had been planning was an ISOC event, that is to say, that's ISOC Finland that would be hosting. Basically for ISOC people who are going to be in Helsinki, ISOC itself is not organizing the [inaudible] ISOC at ICANN event.

Now the, actually Olivier came up with the idea that we would combine with this the [inaudible], and I mean, so far finding, I found out [the club?] which we had in mind for 120 people, so we can sort of combine these events. Of course, that's under the assumption that Afilas will sponsor us, as they have been doing these jam sessions.

Actually for outreach, yes, okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No, no, continue Yrjö.

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah, okay. So I think that the best type of outreach would actually be to invite, to make those people you want to reach, make them aware of this meeting, and invite them to the meeting whenever there is a forum type of event. And one of the problems is that there is no opening for the person, and so on and so forth.

That is to say, some sort of general, something that would provide a general overview of what's going on at ICANN. And that would be probably best.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks Yrjö. This is Dev. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Dev. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. And goodness, quite a few things to touch on. First, on the matter of outreach and on the matter of what Yrjö just suggested there, to have some kind of lectures or some kind of sessions where we can explain an overview of what's going on at ICANN.

I also note in the chat that it has been said that the GNSO is planning things a little bit like this also. I think that would be able to fly, but we would definitely need to be quite proactive about inviting people from outside into coming in. But I'm not, I don't really know what kind of response we would get, and I leave this evaluation over to Yrjö on this.

With regards to the civil society potential event and so on, that's also something which we've considered, and I think it would be a good way to have a discussions and so on, on some topics in a more general fashion. And that might actually be interesting to people outside of ICANN as well, it's not just going to be about specifically just domain names as such.

And then thirdly, with regards to the evening event, the jam session, it's still in discussion at the moment. Yrjö has mentioned that the place

might be able to hold about 120 people. The problem that we've had is that in Marrakech, we've had the jam session with a lot more people than 120 people. So I'm a little concern about this.

What we would do is to have a joint EURALO and ISOC event, and the sponsors would be Afiliias, although I'm yet to get the green light from Afiliias to be able to sponsor this. But as I said, I'm a little concerned about only having space for 120 people, because you do get a lot more people suddenly turning up because they're interested in being able to not only play music, but have a bit of a fun time too.

Just to remind you all, the evenings will not go dark. So I expect very few people to be in bed at 10 PM. I speak from experience in that if you have a full sun outside, it's very hard to get to sleep. Your body does not adjust adequately. So yeah, we'll have to work something out.

But I think, you know, let's leave the social event out. Let's just start focusing on the actual proper events that are going to take place during the daytime, and as I said, we're quite open to various proposals at the moment. And certainly, maybe doing some very open things in At-Large and saying, you know, it's like open door policy and getting people to come over and speak to us, and we can answer questions or give them a little show of what we do, what ICANN does.

That certainly is a good idea. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Olivier. Go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, just, Dev, Olivier just to comment on that. So what are your thoughts then on the idea of having something at the venue for an outreach event, and then have people who wish to go then move on at the ISOC Afiliás event.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Are you saying then, Heidi, that the outreach event will be on the Tuesday?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. You know, that day or the Wednesday, we know depending on what Vanda has planned for that Women in DNS. We're thinking about something like... Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. I have spoken to Vanda again, and she has confirmed to me that she is really set for doing something for Women in DNS on Wednesday evening. So I don't want to walk on her path. [CROSSTALK] So Vanda, you've got Wednesday. The City Hall has got Monday night, and we've got Tuesday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. So then perhaps Tuesday could be something sort of an hour long networking event at the venue, like EURALO held in Dublin, where there was a little bit of a speech, and then people held drinks, and then went on to their evening event.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That would be great. That would be fantastic.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right, thanks Olivier and Heidi. Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yeah. I understand that ICANN want to do the same thing again and again and again, and working, working, work on the same topics always. I just want to tell you once again that the reason we are the Monday, when I say we, it's that the cross community working group on meeting strategy, that I had the honor to share. We discussed about the three day meeting, and we say okay, but we are going in places where we are not, we didn't went before.

It's a place where people and organization may not know about ICANN either, and we need to do something specific to show to the world that we are not just inside our bubble, but we are open to the world. And we are trying to do things again to be inside our bubble. The image I would like to take, and we take, during the work of the working group on meeting strategy was, what was done in one, I guess it was one morning.

I don't remember which day, maybe a Monday. I don't know, I'm not sure. But in Dublin, when a lot of people from the ICANN get out and get to a school to paint the school. We are not obliged to paint any school, or a school in each country we are going, but to do something to show the world that we are not just close to us.

But each time we discuss that, people say, okay, let's do a meeting in our facility. Let's bring people, let's do our usual work. And that was not the goal. That was not the goal. If it will end up like that, it will end up like that. But you as end user we have to be aware that the idea was really to show something different.

That when we spend so much time discussing our issue, maybe we can do something for the people in the country, and what we do depending on where we are going, will be different. But if it's just to have one more thought about one of the same topic we are used to discuss, with the same people talking, please. Let's forget about that. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that Sebastien. Olivier, okay, go ahead Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Dev. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. And I'm a bit confused now with Sebastien because, Sebastien, you kind of say one moment that there will be nobody around due to midsummer, and then you say that we still need to go out there and find someone. I mean, short of playing ghostbusters and trying to find ghosts in town, what can we do?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead Sebastien, and then I can intervene on that one.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yeah, just Olivier, as I told at the beginning and I told again, that in Helsinki we have an opportunity to do anything. I say let's stop to talk about all of that, but when we start to talk, we are trying to fit something where our usual way of working. And I wanted to bring you to your attention what was the purpose.

If it's not done in Helsinki, it's not done. Then maybe we can cancel the Monday. Oh no, no. We need time to work. Okay, then let's do it for work. But remember, the next B meeting, unfortunately it will be in a country where we already went, but might be something then what we will do this B meeting.

Olivier, there is no contradiction. I think for Helsinki, all that was gone is dead. We can't do, except with Yrjö was a good idea. But if not, let's do something or let's not do something specific and discuss that again the next B meeting. Thank you. I'm sorry for the confusion.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks Sebastien. Let me just make my comment here. Perhaps what we can do is that, okay, we have a Monday, we do have people coming in from the fellowship. I imagine there will also be some Next Gen persons coming in from the region that will also be attending [CROSSTALK]. So perhaps we can, yeah. Maybe we can target one session, get them.

And for the Monday session, we don't need all three 75 minute sessions, but we can dedicate one session for them. And also perhaps, we can use that, and I think [inaudible] posted something in the chat saying that perhaps any remote hubs, I don't know if there are remote

hubs, so maybe we can involve the remote hubs and perhaps the remote At-Large community as a kind of briefing call to say, this is what is going to happen on the following, the next three days. Perhaps that can be done for the Monday.

And have the social event on the Tuesday. And pre-meeting wise, we look to identify persons you want to invite, either for the Monday session, and also for the casual event. So those are my thoughts here, just saying all of the discussion. Tijani, go ahead. And I do want to wrap this up to go onto the next topic.

Tijani, you may be muted, go ahead.

YESIM NAZLAR: Tijani, we cannot hear you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Do we need to dial out for Tijani?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Perhaps we can. Okay, staff you can [CROSSTALK] I see from the chat...

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes, I will Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks. This is Dev again. So looking at the chat, well because there are no public meetings like the public forum and so forth, there

would be no remote hubs that would be recognized. So I guess that part is out. While Tijani is sorted out, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

This is Glenn for the transcript. The only thing that going back to this back and forth on Tuesday night, ISOC on or ISOC off, if it ends up being a joint music night slash ISOC Finland slash whatever, so all I'm suggesting is who is organizing it from our end, that they recruit some volunteers. We have a literature table, so that we can actually do a bit of outreach. Otherwise, it's going to get stuck down a wormhole, or just music night and karaoke.

So if we are going to participate in this, whoever is in charge of the, from our end in our community, and somebody steps up and says, yeah, I'll take care of everything. I need a few volunteers for this and that. So I'm assuming it's Olivier and Wolf, being EURALO, so I guess I can't really assume that.

It's just that we need a little bit of organization for it. That's all.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Do you hear me now? Dev?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Yes, we hear you Tijani. Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Good. Hello, Dev? May I speak Dev? I know that Cheryl heard me.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, he did say that you can speak.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Go ahead Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you very much. Tijani speaking. Sebastien said something very interesting and very important. Perhaps we are wrong to decide to make the outreach and everything be, or perhaps to put meeting B in June/July, because it is always the time of vacation. Everywhere you go, you will have people going on vacation.

So perhaps we have to think about it, and perhaps have to perhaps change meeting B and meeting A, interchange them, so that we will have meeting B, first meeting of the year, and meeting A, the second meeting of the year. Thank you.

Finished.

YESIM NAZLAR: Dev, we cannot hear you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: This is like a comedy of errors, people. Oh dear.

YESIM NAZLAR: Hi Dev. This is Yesim speaking. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Let's let Olivier talk while we're waiting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. I can certainly fill in for the next 45, 50 minutes...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh, don't let him, stop him. [LAUGHTER]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I've just noticed one point from Maureen on the chat, which I thought actually was a very good idea. And that's actually to, if we were to...

ALAN GREENBERG: Whoops.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You've got to be joking. [LAUGHTER]

ALAN GREENBERG: Speaking is dangerous on this call. [LAUGHTER] You get terminated.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You ought to have a go. [LAUGHTER]

ALAN GREENBERG: For the transcript, this is Alan and Cheryl who are laughing at the moment. [ALSO LAUGHING: TIJANI]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev here. Can everyone hear me now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Dev, we can hear you. We were hearing Olivier, but after a sentence or so he was dropped off, so be very careful what you say.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, just very briefly. Olivier was commenting on a point that Maureen had made in the chat. So perhaps you can take a look at what

Maureen... I'm not in the AC right now, so perhaps you can read what Maureen was saying as a starting point, until we get Olivier back.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right, or perhaps Maureen, you could say what was your comment that you...

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Dev. It's Maureen for the record. I was just reiterating basically what I said earlier, probably not as well, that because we can't get real people in, then we need to go virtual. And that we need to, you know, like probably put some, you know, put articles in the paper, advertisements, etc.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Podcasts, blah, blah, blah.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: That's a good idea. That's a very good idea. Okay, Olivier is on the call. We're spending more time on this topic, but I guess, go ahead Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND Thanks Dev, it's Olivier speaking. In my absence, I think that Maureen has exactly explained what I was going to relate from what she had written. So great. Yeah, that could be an answer. Otherwise, just for the record, I'm very much for getting out of the usual convention center and actually going out there and finding people to talk to, I think, the

Marrakech experience was absolutely fantastic. We managed to reach more people than we would have just by waiting for them in the convention center.

And I think the only way we could still try and attempt to do that is to get the locals, Yrjö and his colleagues at ISOC Finland, to try and find out if there are anyone by any chance, who will be available for us to go out and talk to. If that's not the case, and if indeed we would just be playing ghostbusters, at that point, we just forget about it. It's no use going out.

But it's certainly there is appointment that this is the case, but such is life. You know? Sometimes things just don't work out. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Very well. Okay, this is Dev. Perhaps that could be an action item them? For yourself, Olivier, Yrjö, I guess Sebastien, Wolf? EURALO members to do some identifying persons that could possibly be an At-Large candidate, in Finland. And then we could do some [CROSSTALK] and also... Great.

So let's make that an action item. And then perhaps an action item for staff to also find out when, what the GNSO would be doing there, their outreach to the Fellows and next... And see if we can schedule a meeting, you know, so we don't clash with them, so we can have outreach and engagement session with the fellows and Next Gen persons present at ICANN 56. So those are the two key things.

And for the Tuesday, well the Tuesday night, which is a kind of more casual event, let's continue to organize that event and get more details as to when that event would be, and see if we can get outreach for people to come to that event, as a more casual thing. And perhaps we'll get more persons that are coming back from celebrating midsummer at that Tuesday session.

Okay. Let's move again to the next agenda item. This is going to be the discussion on ideas, suggestions for CROPP FY 17. So CROPP FY 16 is ending June 30th 2016, and that's really coming up right now. And so, I just want to have some... Well first, two things. One, there has been an update as to how CROPP FY 17 suggestions for immediately in July and August could be done.

Well actually, I see Janice is on the call. I don't know if Janice would want to take the floor and just give the answer as to what is supposed to be happening for, in terms of the status for FY 17.

If she's able to speak, if not, I can then relate it.

Okay, well I guess I can lead this. This is Dev again.

WOLF LUDWIG: Dev? Before Janice checks in, comes in, may I just announce something?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Yrjö, sure.

WOLF LUDWIG: No, it's Wolf.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh Wolf, my apologies. My apologies Wolf, okay, go ahead.

WOLF LUDWIG: No problem. We have similar [inaudible]. I just circulated our fiscal year 2016 CROPP request from EURALO to the review team. There is five candidates and for an event in the second of June, it's for EURODIG in Brussels. More details you can find on our request form, and it was just sent to the whole team. So we are waiting your comments, questions, or approval.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks Wolf. This is Dev. And thanks for posting it to the CROPP review team, so we can begin our review. I suggest that this perhaps should be sent to the GSE, because I think the time is short, the event, submit it to the GSE one time for their comments, and well hopefully, their approval as well. That would be my suggestion.

WOLF LUDWIG: I can send it in parallel to two of them, but Jean-Jacques Sahel is aware about it, and in last year, there was approved without problem.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, all right. Well this is Dev again. Thanks Wolf. Indeed, we'll send it as a, just to get it on the record. All right, has the technical challenges with Janice been sorted out, or...?

JANICE LANGE: Can you hear me now Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: [Inaudible] lovely Janice, I can hear you.

JANICE LANGE: I don't know if it's lovely or not, but it's good that you can hear me. So we, CROPP program for FY 17, and though it is odd that we continue to call it a pilot program, I think we've become so stuck on the acronym CROPP, we don't know what else to do with it. So popular demand was that there be allowed some work on fiscal year 17 planning so that, as we wind down FY 16 and start to look at the potential outreach conferences or activities for fiscal year 17, they can start to get on the books and be reviewed.

So Ken Bower did create templates so that FY 17 proposals can be created. However, due to the additional requirement of strategic plans, everyone does need to remember that each RALO has to go back in and look at their FY 16 strategic plan, and provide any updates and of course work with the global stakeholder engagement teams, so that we continue to try to coordinate between regional strategies, and the strategies of the regional At-Large.

Of course, for the generic name supporting organization, non-contracted parties who are working in CROPP, they have similar guidelines, and they have to work on that too. So the most important thing is that we're open for business for FY 17 for CROPP. You do need to link it as we did last, or this current year, that does need to be linked to an approved strategic plan.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Janice. This is Dev. So one of the key takeaways of that, especially for those RALOs that want to do outreach proposal during July and August, you must have an approved outreach strategic plan in place. So that's been approved by, well approved and also approved by the GSE.

So I know some RALOs are considering this, but perhaps it might be a good exercise to start the ball rolling in terms of evaluating our strategic plan in time for FY 17. So perhaps this is probably an exercise for all of the RALOs we look out and have the outreach and engagement members look at, and look at the strategic plan and see are there changes to be made, are there updates to be made and so forth.

So I think well, so one of the messaging that has to come out is a review of the strategic plan for all of the RALOs in order to start the discussion as to what has happened, what was achieved, what was not achieved, and what can we do to improve the outreach strategic plan. Any thoughts or comments on that?

Okay. I see that people are hearing me and therefore there is consensus on this. I see...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We can hear you, Dev. [LAUGHTER]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So that's one thing we need to do, look at updating all the outreach strategic plans for all RALOs. Okay, that's one. Secondly... Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Dev. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. You mentioned now secondly, maybe I should wait until you finished through all of your list, and then just put me in the queue please, because I seem to have lost connectivity now. The wonderful location. So just put me in the queue.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, sure. This is Dev. Secondly I know that there has been some concerns of, regarding how some of the FY 16 proposals, one of the challenges for several RALOs is that there is a six week... Let me rephrase it. ICANN requires approval of proposal to be approved by the CROPP review team and by the regional GSE to be submitted to the ICANN CROPP team six weeks before such travel takes place.

And we the trouble with this is that several CROPP proposals were received, you know, before that six week deadline and therefore those proposals could not be, you know, could not be looked at because of that six week deadline, which is something that was the operational deadline that was set by the ICANN CROPP team.

So one of the things maybe we want to look at is perhaps what can we do to make improvements to the CROPP process for FY 17. And I guess, I know we're running out of time now, because much time on this, but this is what I want to get some feedback as to what we could do.

In terms, you know, the At-Large review, which is like, you know, we added two weeks for the At-Large review, I'm thinking we could probably reduce that so that we can be seven weeks. I think the bigger problem is that, as a comment that you know, is the coordination of the CROPP review team with RALO leadership in submitting these proposals in a timely manner so that, you know, so that's added a further discussion could happen and so forth.

So we could beat the six week operational guideline. So we have a queue. We have Olivier, Alan, and then Tijani. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much Dev. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. One of the things that I was hoping that we might be able to do, and certainly I think that we will do in EURALO is to maybe compare notes as to what CROPP requests have worked the best in FY 16, so as to see perhaps some improvement in FY 17. You've mentioned things that haven't worked out, but there is also a different type of use of the CROPP slots.

Some RALOs have been using the CROPP slots to send some RALO leaders to some meetings that are different than ICANN. Some RALOs have used CROPP slots to send people from their ALSs to other meetings, or from their ALSs to an ICANN meeting. And some RALOs, such as EURALO, have actually used all of their CROPP slots to take

people who might be in, well maybe one of the slots taken by somebody who has got all of the experience to do outreach at a major event, but also take potential ALSs that are not yet ALSs, and then send them to a meeting that, not an ICANN meeting, but a meeting, in that case EURODIG, where we would be able to talk to them, and we have the full two days to be able to tell them more and learn a little bit more, and get them to sign up as ALSs.

Now, in some cases it has worked and in some cases it hasn't worked, and I think that's where maybe you might all be interested to see the way that EURALO has done its outreach is actually successful, whether there are better ways to do it. And certainly, I would be very interested in finding out some feedback from others on how they've done it in their RALO and how, whether it has worked well or less well. That's all. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Olivier. I think that's an excellent suggestion. Perhaps what can happen is an evaluation of past CROPP proposals and see how well it has matched objectives and measurable outcomes. So Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. We've had a number of comments, I've received a number of comments in the last number of weeks, on a variety of things related to CROPP. Some of them are the criteria under which the CROPP review team approves or rejects a proposal. There has also been a number of comments on the lack of clarity in some people's minds as to how the CROPP review team people are selected.

There was a change a while ago, that seems to have passed some people by. I'm going to suggest at the ALAC meeting tomorrow to give you a bit of a preview that we not spend a lot of time trying to analyze the failures, but recognize that when we put the CROPP review team together, we put it together as a coordinating body for At-Large, to make sure that we did have some level of commonality, and similar purposes as we went forward with this program.

We didn't, however, actually put a charter together and put any guidelines in place, so that when the people who are named to the CROPP review team came together, they were actually working from a common set of ideas. And I think it's probably time, and I credit the idea with Tijani, for standing back for a moment and perhaps chartering a small group, of getting together a small group of people to create a charter for the group, so that there is clarity among everyone on how the review team members are selected, and how they should work going forward.

That doesn't mean everyone agrees on everything, but at least we understand what it is the CROPP review team should be looking at, what the responsibilities of the people are who are put on that group. So we will be discussing it at the ALAC meeting tomorrow. I welcome anyone to come in and join that discussion, but perhaps that is a way of, instead of looking back, looking forward and trying to make sure that we're doing this job properly as we go ahead. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Alan. This is Dev. I suspect, and I think perhaps that is a good idea. I don't see any problems with not clarifying the procedures and so forth, that apparently there tends to be misunderstandings. So I think that could work, and perhaps we could start the ball rolling within the CROPP review team to have that type of, as you say, defining a charter.

So, I don't see any problems with that, in clarifying what the process behind the CROPP review team and so forth. Okay, well perhaps Tijani and Cheryl want to say something on that. But go ahead Tijani. We do have... Before Tijani speaks, we are going above time, so let's keep the intervention short, because I don't want to take the interpreters too long on this. So go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much Dev. I fully support the proposal of Alan to create a charter for the CROPP review team. When we created this CROPP review team, it wasn't in the guidelines of the CROPP program, we created it as ALAC, because we wanted it to facilitate, to help the requestors, and to make that request agreeable, acceptable. Not to make a new [inaudible], a new layer of authority, and to make things more difficult for the requestors.

So it is a very good idea, very good initiative, and I fully agree on it. Olivier said something very important. I remember that we received a request from one who is not an ALS in AFRALO. And he came late, because the event was decided late in Africa. And I personally [inaudible] with our friends Janice and Rob to [inaudible] in Africa. And they very kindly accepted the request, even if it was late.

But unfortunately, the event didn't happen because it is Africa again, and it was cancelled at the last minute. This is a very good example of what the CROPP review team had to do. It has to help, not to break any initiative. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Tijani. I have a comment on that, but Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Dev. Cheryl Langdon-Orr. [Inaudible] as we sat together in a small room between meetings, discussing what our mutual understanding of the CROPP program was and what [inaudible] review team would be. At the time, one of our key issues was going to be make sure that we had a lack of duplication, and towards having the regions equitably treating, and where there was a possible advantage of getting activities that could be picked up by other parts of ICANN, for example you know, global outreach, etc. at that stage, that we were all aware of that, and that we had that equity and facilitation.

So I am absolutely in support of, at this stage, developing a charter, as long as it is a light weight charter, it allows for flexibility, and most importantly, it actually has some of the people who understood what it was we were trying to do in the first place on its chartering team, as well as actually actively contributed to CROPP activities in the interim time. Thank you. I'll obviously speak about that at the ALAC meeting.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Cheryl. This is Dev again. Just a comment, I guess, it comes back to [inaudible] of what this review team does and so forth. So as for my perspective, the review team is similar to how the finance and budget subcommittee works. We get proposals and, in a collaborative manner, and decide whether these proposals meet the guidelines and then approve or disapprove, or [inaudible] suggestion.

But I think, you know, if you want to have a discussion again on the charter, I think that's acceptable because I still think there needs to be some confusion as to how it's supposed to work, and perhaps there needs to be a more detailed document that describes this. Daniel, and again, my apology interpreters for the extra time. Go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Thank you Dev. It's Daniel for the record. Can you hear me well?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. We can hear you Daniel, go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: All right. When it comes to CROPP, especially for AFRALO, we have had [inaudible] for which trips to go for, but then there are, there is a thing [inaudible] number two, which was sent in, but it was in line with the strategy that was endorsed by the AFRALO leadership. So that certainly did take place.

And then also [inaudible] understanding. I think the whole process that we are using, [inaudible] not for CROPP, adequate [inaudible] for

AFRALO as well, but probably [inaudible] key adjustments that could [inaudible]... Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks Daniel. This is Dev again. I'm just looking for any other comments because I do want to wrap up the call on this. And I think actually [inaudible] made a point there, that should outcome evaluation not be built in as part of the project process. And indeed, this is Dev again. There is a trip assessment that needs to be filed, but I think what CROPP has not done effectively as well is because there are so many different CROPP proposals coming in at such [inaudible] times, and then the trip assessments coming in, it's very hard to actually put focus on those trip proposals, and take a look at it and say was this proposal a good one or not a good one?

And again, a discussion perhaps and again, perhaps the discussion regarding the charter is then, well if we want to have this analysis, then what are the outcomes of that analysis? Do we then, okay, how do we approve that process? Or do we penalize, perhaps that's not the right word, but how do we then say, well because that traveler did not achieve the objectives, should that traveler, you know, be allowed to go on another CROPP proposal?

So those are the discussions I think we could have. And we could probably schedule perhaps several calls to have that deep dive discussion. Okay. I know it's now eight minutes past the hour. Any other quick final comments regarding CROPP?

Okay. I would like to thank everyone, and I especially want to thank the interpreters for the time, actually eight minutes past the hour, you know, to continue interpretation. So thanks so very, very much for them. And I would like to thank everyone for this call, very informative, very vibrant discussion. And this call is now adjourned. Thank you, have a wonderful afternoon, evening, morning.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]