

---

TERRI AGNEW: Good afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call taking place on Monday, 11 April 2016, at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Yubelkys Montalvo, Allan Skuce, Avri Doria, Gordon Chillcott, Glenn McKnight, Garth Bruen, Louis Houle, Eve Edelson, Alan Greenberg, Alfredo Calderon, Monique Chartrand, John Laprise, David Vyourst, Howard Deane, Eduardo Diaz, Ron da Silva, Darlene Thompson, Garth Graham, Judith Hellerstein, Leah Symekher, Joly MacFie, Loris Taylor, Seth Reiss, and Tom Lowenhaupt.

I have no listed apologies for today's conference.

TIM DENTON: You also have Tim Denton on.

TERRI AGNEW: Welcome, Tim. Thank you.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano, and myself, Terri Agnew.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes.

Thank you very much and back over to you, Glenn.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much. I just want to make sure. Is there anyone else on Adigo besides Tim for the attendance records?

Okay, and I believe you got Tom as well.

Okay, thank you so much, everyone. And this is an important call. We have very limited time. We will try to keep to the schedule. I'm going to turn to Judith to talk about the NARALO election [and appointments].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, hello. We have elections today for starting up a nominating period for chair, secretary, ALAC member, and NomCom delegates. The elections are open normally for a three-day period but if we have a quorum today, we were hoping that we can change the 29 days so that we can match the NARALO meeting, which is on May 9, and that happens on the 29<sup>th</sup> day. Normally, there are the 30 days for the nomination and that would be May 10, but that's a Tuesday.

So the election page, can someone post that into the chat? Or I can do that. Let me just [sneak] it into the chat. Here's the page.

Okay, so as you can see, there is a description of the open positions. Glenn is looking for a renomination, and he is not term-limited. I am also looking for renomination, and I'm not term-limited. We are also currently looking for an ALAC representative because Alan who holds that spot right now was finishing out the rest of Glenn's term, so he's available to be nominated again for a two-year term. So his position is not term-limited as well as the current NomCom delegate, which is

---

Eduardo Diaz. He can also be nominated again for another term, so he's also looking to compete again for the next year.

We asked people to do some nominations on that link I gave you. In the right position, you can nominate someone for chair, secretariat, NomCom, or ALAC. And you can do that. You need a Confluence account to do that. If you don't have a Confluence account, you can talk to Ariel and she'll make sure you're set up for that.

The schedule is, after the nominations close, we will discuss on our monthly meeting, if we change the date, whether we need to do elections or whether we want to just do by consensus. But [deciding] that, we will have voting.

We will have a meeting that will be sent out to have "Meet Your Candidates." So we were looking also for all candidates who have the nomination to put in their statement of interest as well as a nominee statement, which is what we did last year, which is a few paragraphs describing what they hope to do if they are elected.

Both Glenn and I are interested, and we didn't get to finish all the items that we were looking to do this year. And so, many of these items continue to next year. So we will be discussing that later. But I think that's it for the elections unless I missed something.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Joly's got a question. What's your question, Joly?

---

JOLY MACFIE: Well, it's just a minor mistake on it. It says NARALO Chair. It says "state nominee accepted" and then it puts your name, so it just be a [date] presumably. And also note that Judith hasn't been nominated yet, so I'll be happy to do that. And then to the question in the chat as to how you can nominate someone, it does say there that you mail the list if you want to nominate someone.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thanks, Joly.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So to nominate yourself, so when you have to go, you could either e-mail the list and staff will put your nomination up or you can log in to the page that I gave you the link for and nominate someone underneath there. So there are two ways. But if you want to just e-mail staff or e-mail someone else, they can also do that for you. Is that correct?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. Yes, we'd like to ask, what you said is correct, but I think the best way for members to send to the NARALO mailing list an e-mail with the subject line "Nomination 20156" and the staff will pick it up and add it to the wiki, confirming their receipt of the nomination. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, this is Heidi, if I may? Sorry, I'm not able to put my hand up.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I just wanted to make sure that Judith's request for having an approval for 29 days versus 30 days for the call for nominations as according to NARALO rules if everyone agrees with that or there's consensus on that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Heidi, we were just asking Terri to track if we have quorum. So she's going to get back to us if we have quorum.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Terri, do we have that number yet?

TERRI AGNEW: Yes, so I provided it to Glenn as well in a private chat. There is no quorum required for NARALO, but you do have 25 parties on right now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Let's just circle the wagons back to Heidi's thing. So I think if you can use your check button, you have an agree. And Tim, you'll have to do it verbally. So if you agree or disagree, please do the check mark please on your name. So David, if you haven't used this before, if you go up to where the hand is up on the upper bar, you have a choice between a hands up and a reduce it. But you can click on if you agree or disagree.

---

LEAH SYMEKHER: May I ask a question, please?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, go ahead.

LEAH SYMEKHER: What we're trying to get quorum for is just for us agreeing to the 29, so we agree to nominate the team today to meet the 29 days deadline?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That is correct, Leah. It's a minor change. If we have it, it would take us to the day after our normal date time, which would be the Tuesday, which is 30 days. So we really are meeting, which is the second Monday in May, there would require us to be 29 days. So what we're just asking for people to agree to change it from 30 to 29 days, which is a pretty long nomination period. So is that clear, Leah?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yeah, that's good [inaudible] because we need to have the parties already nominated for that meeting in May, right? That's for the ICANN meeting, correct?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. So I don't see your check mark or X. So Leah and Loris, Ron and Seth and Yubelkys. So we have a few people still [out], but right now

---

according to the check marks, we have a majority. Right now, Judith, do you want to verify that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, well, we're still waiting. So more check marks I think are coming in at the moment. And the check marks are only so that we could have closer nomination periods after 29 days instead of our normal 30 days. That's the only thing we're asking right now.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Loris, is that a question for Judith or myself? [Taylor]?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, so it seems like, Alan, I think you're also in agreement. Alan, you haven't put a check mark so if you could do that.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm in agreement, but we're looking for a decision. You're only looking for a decision from the ALSes, of which there's 33.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: But we have a quorum of ALSes on the meeting. Quorum, by the way, is a majority of all ALSes, which is 33.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: If there's no one objecting to it, then I think you can deem the rest have accepted.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Judith, we have for the record 17 check marks, green check marks.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, so I guess we will deem it as being that we'll move it to 29 days. Thank you for that [inaudible]. And if you can clear your check marks, and to clear them, you do the same thing you did to check them.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, Alan, I know you asked for this item to be brought up earlier in the schedule. Did you have anything to say?



---

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I wanted to be brought up early because I have a CCWG meeting that's going on in parallel, so I wanted to be able to move over to that as soon as possible. If you're opening the discussion, I can certainly make comments because I am one of the people who are eligible, but I'm not quite sure this is the appropriate time for that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, just one second, Alan. I'll get back to you. I have Joly and Loris in the queue, or they could be old hands but let me just verify that it's not and then let's go right back to you. Joly, is that additional or is that an old hand?

JOLY MACFIE: It's lowered.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, I didn't understand you.

JOLY MACFIE: I just lowered it. Sorry.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Oh, okay, thank you. Loris? Anything from Loris? Okay, it doesn't look like it. Okay, so I want to open the floor to discussion. Alan, I believe you have a comment.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

I just wanted to make the comment that I am, as Judith has already said, I am willing to stand again. As you know, I'm currently ALAC Chair and should the ALAC choose to reappoint me, if I'm an ALAC member, I will be willing to stand for ALAC Chair as well. I had some certain plans when I entered the ALAC Chair position. The accountability and transition and IANA work have taken up a lot of that time, so I'm certainly not finished yet.

And I am willing to continue should NARALO choose to reappoint me, and of course, ALAC choose to reappoint me following that. That's a whole bunch of ifs. But I just wanted to make it clear that I was willing to continue in this role should the various parties decide to put me there. Thank you.

I could certainly go into more detail about my plans, but I don't want to take over the meeting at this point.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Got you. I think all of those who are responding with their SOIs will be obligated to do a statement and maybe we can arrange a "Meet the Candidates" like we did the last time. So we'll work on that as well.

Okay. Anyone else from the floor on the election issue? Any final comments?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

No final comments from me. I think it's all clear, and we'll send out information once we get all the nominations to have a "Meet the Candidates" forum like we did last year. I think that worked well.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Can I ask one question?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, one minute. It's a statement of interest, which is the SOI which are the standard ones. And then the candidate blurb is a few paragraph description of what you hope to accomplish. So these are two separate things. So you might, if people who are into that are not usually a statement of interest is that two-paragraph one, but in ICANN language, it's just listing what you've done so far and what committees you're on. So it's a standard format using a standard form. So it's a little bit different. So for the new people, that's why we have two separate items.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: We have a question from Leah. Please go ahead.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Sure. I know you shared this with me earlier, but just for my other member who is on the call, can you tell us the terms again, sorry, and how many people can be nominated for each of these positions?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: You want me to get this? I'll get this one. Okay. So we're looking only for one candidate for each position, but feel free to nominate whoever you want for the position. And then depending on the election, one person

---

will be chosen. But if you want, if there's another candidate who also wants to be nominated. But also the other question is, do we need more than one nomination? So if it's me or Glenn or Alan, they can have as many nominations by different people. So say three or four ALSes wanted to nominate the same person, you can send back in a third or fourth nomination. I don't think we have a link on that. So as many people, whoever wants to run. Ultimately, there is only going to be one person chosen. But, you know, it's open to everyone, whoever wants to run.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alan, is that an old hand or a new hand?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, that's a new hand.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, Alan?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go ahead, Alan.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. I was just going to add to that question. NARALO has a long history of people, if you go back a number of years, of making decisions by consensus. If you look at the first four or five years, there never were any elections because these meetings which did tend to have quorum at them would actually make decisions.

Sometimes that decision was that there would not be a contested election, that especially in the case where someone was up for renewal, that the meeting could just make the decision to review them. In other cases, there are contested elections and, of course, then there can be as many candidates as people nominate and there's a real election to decide. So there are a number of options that we have going forward. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Alan, thank you for that. It was very helpful.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Judith, I have to stick to the agenda because we've got such a tight one. So if we could move on to back to staff for normal action items, I'd like to turn to Silvia to talk about the meeting we had with Chris Mondini.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Darlene still has a question, and I just want to give her a chance to make her question.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Sorry, Darlene. Go ahead.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Hi, there. I just wanted to back up what Alan was saying. These are actually in our bylaws that it's preferable to go by consensus rather than election unless it's really close. And then it's election, but it's up to the chair. So that's actually right in our bylaws. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much, Darlene. For those who are not familiar with Darlene, Darlene was the secretary for many, many years as the secretary so she is very familiar with the procedures.

Okay, thank you, folks. I want to move over to Silvia if you don't mind. We had a meeting with Chris Mondini to go over some actions items, and I just want to turn it over to Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Glenn. We met in Marrakech informally with Chris Mondini, and the notes of the reports are [inaudible] the following. Glenn explained the actions taken to re-engage inactive ALSes. He explained to us that we had contacted each of them and some have decided to leave NARALO. The ALAC is in the process of reviewing those requests in

---

coordination with NARALO. And there may be decertification of some of them.

The second point was regarding [inaudible]. Chris Mondini explained that the best use of the funds is to find events where new ALSes from the region can be recruited and not necessarily to travel to each area meeting. There was a discussion of whether or not to use those funds to go to each area meeting. The idea was to go to meetings where there is an opportunity to promote the work of NARALO and to find new members.

The third point of conversation was regarding whether or not the CROPP [inaudible] could be used only for in-region trips. There was a discussion of whether or not there could be an exception to this rule. Chris that there could be an exception, however, they should be substantiated and the purpose of the trip should be linked to outreach and engagement. These request will be reviewed on a case by case basis if they come on new requests.

Regarding conversations of ALSes' is re-engagement, we also brainstormed about how to better use the existing talent within NARALO members. One of the ideas was to reactivate the [inaudible] segments each month where each ALS is invited to present the work of the ALS to the rest of the members.

We also had some action items. One of them was to produce some new outreach materials. Glenn has an idea to do a [mailing] card, so not a brochure but something more simple. And I would work with Glenn to produce this new outreach material. Then [inaudible] material at the

---

ICANN D.C. office, so they are available for events within the U.S. East Coast.

And also, there is a request from Glenn and Judith to have an onboarding webinar to re-engage ALSes. And I noted that we have done this in the past from the staff to all the RALOs. So we will do that, but probably we will have to do it in the [inaudible] onboarding webinars to re-engage all of the ALSes so we have a broader reach. And that's all. Thank you very much, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. I just want to put the significance of that meeting. We want to keep the Chris Mondini and Joe Catapano informed on what we're doing and vice versa. So I think we're improving our relationships with them in terms of their activity as well as ours.

Judith, can you quickly take care of the next item which you brought up at 3.1?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, yes. There are many ways. Some of our ALSes cannot come on the call at 3:00 because they have another time or a class or they're teaching or they have a meeting.

Glenn, can you mute so that we don't get the echo? Thank you.

So they like to watch it on the Adobe Connect much better than listening to an MP3. In the past, we recorded the Adobe Connect calls and so they can click on the link and see everything at the same time.



---

Apparently now, we are not doing that unless there is a special request, and so we were asking for a special request for the NARALO calls for the Adobe Connect room to be saved so that people could see that and see the agenda and the chat and everything together on one page when they review the call. And that's the question we would like added. And we want that going forward for the future.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. I am pleased to tell you that today, the call is being recorded. If you look at the AC room, there is a gray dot on the right corner on top. That means the AC is being recorded as per your request from now onward. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Silvia, I have a question for you. Is this also being translated into French?

SILVIA VIVANCO: No, this call is not interpreted.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: The question is, Silvia, if our French participants ask for French interpretation, is that available?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, this will be available. The rule is that if we have three participants that require a different language, we would provide their language. So if

---

you have three French speakers who will be always participating in the French channel, we will coordinate interpretation.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you so much, Silvia. Okay, moving on to the next item. The next item is decertification of a number of NARALO ALSes. We brought this up a couple of months ago. We are going through working with staff, which will provide information to the ALAC. They are not decertified yet. But we have a number of organizations which are out of operation and so it's pretty natural. But we have to document it very closely as we've had discussions with Alan and staff on the this. We will keep you informed on the progress of decertification.

Okay, next item, 3.3, CROPP requests. Judith, did you want to talk about the CROPP?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

During Marrakech, we sat down and we talked to Rob Hogarth about CROPP and figuring out when can we start applying for it because if we waited for the new page to come out, then we've often missed out on CROPP requests from July, August, and September. So we were trying to find out when would be a good time for us to start posting.

And so, we were told that the budget now is passing in May and that, although the CROPP page may not be ready, that there won't be many changes and that we could start teeing up some requests so that we can meet the eight-week timeline. If someone wants to submit something in early May for July, that we could start the process. And we just wanted

---

some clarification. Is that still accurate? Do they still accept the budget to have closed by the end of April and that by May, we can start nominating so we can start, so people who have July requests can be in the queue?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Who is that question to? Is that to Heidi?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I guess the question is to Heidi, Joe, or whoever we have.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, Heidi, did you understand the question? Okay, so I think there are two parts. Go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I think that Heidi may have dropped. I will follow-up on that. I believe that the question is whether it will [inaudible].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I believe they can start putting together the applications, and hopefully the budget will be approved by the end of April. So there should be time, enough time, to submit the application for money on time for them to be approved within the eight weeks.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you, Silvia. Can this be put down as an action item?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. I will take that action item for me to follow-up with CROPP staff members in charge of the CROPP to make sure. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, next item. Announcements and Community Activities, and I want to turn to two, Leah, to talk about her events at the Internet of Things with ISOC Bay Area and also welcome David Vyourst on to talk a little about Washington, D.C. So I'd like to first turn to Leah.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Thank you very much, Glenn. The Internet of Things event for the San Francisco Bay area ISOC [inaudible] and INET event that we postponed from last year when we were really trying to get a few things going here before we could hold the event. So this was a kickoff event for our chapter.

We were very lucky to have the support of Vint Cerf. He was the first person who agreed to sponsor our event and contributed \$5,000 towards the event that helped us get the location. He also accepted our request for him to be the keynote speaker. That really gave us good

---

leverage in terms of attracting more very interesting and diverse speakers to speak to the Internet of Things.

It was based on the white paper that was written by Karen Rose for ISOC, so that gave us a pretty good connection with what the ISOC headquarters is doing in terms of the Internet of Things. The white paper was deeply researched and laid out specific issues with the Internet of Things.

For the conference, we chose to focus on three main areas, and that was privacy, security, and interoperability. Our speakers that we had, addressed each of those specific areas, and we were able to get speakers from the headquarters. Karen Rose came to speak and did the introduction for the white paper and pretty much staged the conference in terms of what ISOC research was for and the result of it that came out of that white paper. That was a good lead-in for our keynote speaker, Vint Cerf, to speak.

We had speakers from NASA, from Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. We had security speakers from Farsight Security, which is doing some amazing things with security, as well as a speaker from Cisco, Michele Guel, who also addressed security. We also brought in a California state legislature representative, who spoke to our policy from the state or government perspective.

On policy, we also had Michael Nelson from CloudFlare, who's very well known on public policy, of course, and the Internet from the government perspective and also working with the Internet Society in D.C., as well as another speaker from .build, who was talking from a user's perspective and on the benefits of the Internet of Things.

---

The goal was to get to 100 speakers. We got to 120: 130 speakers signed up, 120 who physically attended. There was a good representation of men and women, young and old, which is what we're trying to target here. I think we got up to 60 new members. We're actively engaged now with old members and the new members who want more events.

So we consider this to be a successful event for the chapter and helping to build up to the rest of the events for the coming months. We do thank each one of you for your support. Glenn, you were very helpful in helping with the guidelines to get speakers and all that, so I do appreciate it. All the other chapters that helped us make this a success, I'm very thankful.

I'd also like to thank the headquarters because they contributed \$10,000, which was a budget that I believe Paul Brigner had been allocated before for the INET event. So we requested that that be honored for this event, even though Paul Brigner was no longer going to be there and would not show how the INET program was going to progress. But we pushed to make sure that we got that \$10,000 to help with expenses for this event. [Raul and Joyce], accepted into the [Beyond Net] program, were able to get that \$10,000.

We had requests for ICANN to participate as a speaker in that event, but that just did not work well in terms of coordination. But we hope to do more with that with ICANN as well in future events. We had a great meeting recently with ICANN and ISOC executive representatives, and we're hoping for a closer collaboration moving forward. Thank you.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thanks so much, Leah. I think we have a quick question from Tom. Tom, go ahead. Tom, are you still there? Okay, I don't see anything from Tom. Okay. David, do you have a couple words to introduce yourself? David from the Washington D.C. ISOC chapter.

DAVID VYOURST: Hi. Yes, hi. I'm David Vyourst. I'm the Executive Director of ISOC D.C. I am relatively new to the NARALO world, so for my first few engagements I'm probably just going to do mostly listening.

Our chapter has an event on Wednesday, featuring Laura DeNardis, Kathy Brown, and Fiona Alexander to discuss [inaudible] have just edited. We are working on an upcoming series with a bunch of partners on Internet fragmentation, partners hopefully including ICANN and Microsoft and Verisign. And we are working on a series on Internet trust, which will encompass security, privacy, and a lot of the other issues now that are threatening people's trust in the Internet.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. And you're doing a little event in July, I understand.

DAVID VYOURST: No. [inaudible] I'm not sure about that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: He wants to hype up the IGF-USA that ISOC D.C. is one of the members on the multi-stakeholder group.

---

DAVID VYOURST: The IGF-USA doesn't ring a bell. Tell me about it, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: David's got a sense of humor. Monique, do you have an update for him?

DAVID VYOURST: Sure. The IGF-USA will take place on July 14 at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, D.C. It will be an all-day conference. It will be the greatest IGF-USA ever, of course.

You can find out a lot at [igfusa.org](http://igfusa.org). We have just circulated a survey about the subject matter people in the community would like see covered at the IGF-USA. We recommend everybody take it. We recommend everybody sign up for our e-mail list and stay informed and sign up for our brand-new online discussion list. All of that information can be found on our Facebook page or on the homepage.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks. Thank you so much, David. We'll talk afterwards on sharing how to share this and making sure you have a Confluence account and all. [Given time], thank you so much. Monique, do you have an update?

DAVID VYOURST: Wait. One other thing. Can I paste the link to the survey here?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Please do. Okay. Put it right in the chat. Okay. Okay. Monique said that she's inviting everyone to Montreal, and I'd love [you] to be there.



---

She's doing, at the end of August, the Open Living Lab Day. So it'll happen the first time in America. [Also papers] and workshops are open. Hey, that sounds exciting. Monique, did you have anything else to add to that? No? That's it. Thank you, and thank you, David.

Anyone else for community – those are the three things that actually we added to the list, and I'd like to make this a standard, ongoing feature of our call, to share what activities you're actually doing on Internet issues.

I'll move onto the next item: the General Assembly. Now, we set up a page on the General Assembly. It is not official yet. We did get approved last year with EURALO, and we were gracious enough to allow EURALO because we are tight on the budget. They did theirs. We went through the process again this year to be approved. It is approved with the [FDPC] but not officially yet. So Heidi wants to absolutely make sure that this is not carved in stone yet, but we're very optimistic that the General Assembly will happen. It will happen in October. I'm not sure where. Right now Puerto Rico is one of the spots it could be, then I've heard Chicago. But I'm not sure yet, so please, we're not sure exactly where it is, and Eduardo is planning a lot of great stuff for us with Alfredo. It will be exciting to be in Puerto Rico with them.

We are looking at all the other General Assemblies, so if you're interested in participating and running a session, please do. Eduardo? Do you have a comment?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

A quick question. There's a meeting happening this Thursday of the Board just to discuss if the meeting will be in Puerto Rico. I'm wondering

---

– and this question goes to Joe Catapano – if you know if this meeting is going to be open or it going to be something between the Board itself. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, apparently Chicago was just a rumor, so there's no validity to that rumor. So it's just a rumor like everything else.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. You know what? I have no problem with doing something in the [south]. But thank you for that, Eduardo.

Okay. Due to time, I'm going to push this along. I just want to make a point that we are looking for volunteers. It may not happen because – we'll know pretty soon. Heidi, do you have a definite date when the decision on the budget will be? Silvia, can you answer it if Heidi's not on the call?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. I believe she's not on the call. From what I know, the budget should be approved by the end of April. So we should know, regarding all of these [inaudible] arrangements by the end of April, hopefully before. I would hope before. But that's what I [know].

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Okay. We've been looking at the other General Assemblies, at what was done. We've asked other RALOs on what they've done. This is our General Assembly. In our meetings with Chris Mondini, he clearly

---

stated that he wanted to do some solid capacity building. It'd be great to see everybody face-to-face. We want to show how NARALO does a General Assembly. If you're interested in participating, follow the link that Terri has put in.

I'd like to welcome Evan as well to the call. He's on Geneva time, so he's a little bit later than us. Okay.

We talked about CROPP a little bit, but we do want to give you a report on the FY16 CROPP report. I did attend the NTEN. This was the Nonprofit Technology Conference in San Jose recently. It was very disappointing this time. I wanted to reach out to First Nation Indian groups. They were not there. I wanted to reach out to organizations across the United States. I did. They were a couple of birds of a feather focused on Canadians there, but I am doing still a lot of follow-up. From an educational point of view, each of the [collaborative] notes and ideas on social media I shared with the working groups. So there was that side issue.

The OAS, the South School of Internet Governance, Alfredo – is Alfredo on the call? Alfredo from ISOC PR. He was the CROPP attendee. I'm just wondering if he has a couple of words to say. Judith, myself, and David, all four us, were there. We blanketed the room in NARALO, and he has done a very extensive CROPP report. And, Judith, I'm not sure if we've got the application yet, but Josh [Price] of ISOC North Carolina will be putting the application in as a new ALS. It should be coming through. We'll be following up on that.

---

We did ask to be part of ARIN, which is in July, but that's out of region because it's in Jamaica this year. Judith, did you want to talk about the GLOBE conference that Le-Marie was attending?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Sure. Le-Marie wasn't able to make the call today because she's teaching at the same time, so she asked me to give a summary. She went to a conference called GLOBE. It's mostly about [smart cities], financial innovation, and global technology. She went there to do outreach and engagement with a new set of potential ALSes in North America. She thought it was an excellent conference, and she was able to gain direct contacts to about 13 different possible At-Large new structures and to talk to them about ICANN, the At-Large mission, and distribute the material to recruit new ALSes and to discuss what At-Large and what ICANN can do for you.

She gave away all the brochures and the cards she had gotten. We didn't have NARALO-specific brochures because they're not ready, but we gave her the ALAC ones and the At-Large business cards. She handed out her personal cards for any information, and she engaged with several different companies that participated in this exhibit.

So all-in-all, she thought it was excellent trip, and hopefully we can get some new ALSes. She definitely increased the outreach of At-Large and what our mission is to this new group.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. Due to time, I'm going to turn right to Garth for Item #12 on [inaudible].

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Garth may not be on the call. He had to drop out, so we have to wait for him to come back on. He lost his connection.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Garth Bruen is not on?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: He had to drop out. He said he lost his Verizon connection, so he's hoping to get on later.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. When he comes in, let me know, Judith. Let's go to Eduardo. Eduardo, can you talk about the NARALO newsletter? Many of the topics we talked earlier about the events, we absolutely need a section in the NARALO newsletter. Eduardo, tell us about the newsletter and what you're looking for.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Again, I'm repeating this every time, really. What I need is for you to send me information about your ALSes and events. Send me only one picture. If you have more, put it somewhere and I can put your link. I just want to have the newspaper as like a snippet. Events are very important. I'm just getting information from ISOC San Francisco and ISOC Toronto. I'm not getting anything else from the other ALSes so, please, send me your information. This is a good tool, not just to

---

increase communication, but another tool that you can use for promoting events and even your ALS. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. Let me turn back to Garth. I believe he has joined us. Garth, it's the topic of consumer trust. Back to you.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. Can you all hear me? I have turned on my microphone. Can you all hear me?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. We hear you, loud and clear.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. Thank you. Good to have some feedback. Alright. So at the last meeting, we met with the Board. We also met with Compliance, and the issue of consumer trust as a larger philosophy of ICANN came up. Then the specifics of how ICANN is going to interface with consumers came up, specifically in regard to their appointment or lack of appointment of a consumer safeguards director, a position that was promised over a year ago.

What we found out at the Board meeting was two things. One is that they don't even have a job description for a consumer safeguards director, so there's really no movement on hiring somebody, which is something that we kind of assumed.

---

The other issue is that Board member Bruce Tonkin said at the meeting that consumer trust isn't really within ICANN's purview and that what consumer trust refers to in its documentation is really specifically the resiliency of the Internet itself in terms of names being bound to numbers.

This was very disappointing to a lot of us, obviously. We're really looking forward to a good discussion, a good relationship, with ICANN in terms of consumer trust, a cooperative effort with some real definitions of consumer safeguards and ways that consumers can interface.

So it was somewhat of a slap in the face during this meeting. And of course, not every Board member agrees with Tonkin said, but this was really the only statement of record. I've been sort of pushing for a better consumer agenda at ICANN for a while, and even though we had this sort of disappointing event at the Marrakech meeting, I am willing to be patient because Bruce Tonkin is term-limited. He's no longer going to be on the Board, and also we know that Fadi is no longer going to be CEO.

So in terms of leadership, we're having a second start, a new start. I think that we can have a fresh approach with talking to ICANN about consumer trust with the new CEO. I have a feeling he'll be more receptive than ICANN has been to this topic in the past. So instead of just going all out and talking about these things that have happened in the last year, we can start fresh. So the way I'm going to draft our approach is kind of a new look at the issue.

I see that Evan has his hand up. I'm not chairing the call, but I'd like to hear what Evan has to say about this, too.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks, Garth.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Evan, want to go ahead?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Well, I was waiting for the Chair of the call to recognize me, but okay.  
Hi.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Evan, I do recognize you, but I was on mute. Go ahead, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Thanks. Okay. I noticed there's an awful lot of newcomers on the phone, on the call, and it's fantastic to see all of the fresh blood, the fresh meat, if you would. So, hello. I guess I'm one of the NARALO old-timers, but as Garth suggested, previously I'd been very, very heavily involved in ICANN, specifically along with Garth in consumer trust issues.

Right now, the issue of compliance and enforcement is something that Garth has been working on. I've been also involved from another angle, which was some of the consumer-related metrics that ICANN has been involved with. That is, have there been many complaints about the New gTLD Program? How much are consumers trusting the DNS, the name system? How many people are even continuing to use the name system



---

or just abandoning it in favor of search engines and QR codes and things like that?

So this is a very, very difficult path. Garth was mentioning obstacles at the Board. There have been obstacles all over ICANN. Even sometimes when you talk about public interest, you get mired into a black hole of arguments over what defines the public interest when you have registrars and registries standing up at meetings and saying, “Well, I’m part of the public, too, so why doesn’t what I want matter in this discussion as well?” It gets really bogged down. We’ve even had the NARALO mailing list a couple of years ago get involved when you had contracted parties that were debating even on issues of what constitutes the public interest.

So this is something that has been a very, very long-term slog. Very, very difficult to do. I encourage any of the newcomers within NARALO to please, please get involved in this. As much as any other issue, this is a component of ICANN that impacts At-Large. It impacts consumers, and by consumers, I mean people who use domains, people who buy domains, and the bottom of the ICANN food chain – probably the least represented.

I really, really urge you to get involved in this. There’s a couple of ways to do it. One is to support Garth in what he’s doing. There’s also a couple of At-Large people, including a colleague of mine, Carlton Samuels, who’s on the – I forget the acronym – Consumer Choice and Trust Review Team that is going over some of the metrics of surveys and studies that ICANN is doing to try to see whether or not the expansion

---

of the gTLD program has actually benefited ICANN from the point of view of consumer trust.

Part of the problem, of course, is, as far as ICANN is concerned in some of its metrics, they consider a consumer to be the registrant – that is, the person who buys domains, which to some people is the bottom of ICANN’s field of concern – and people who use the Internet, that is, the people that type in the domain names or are marketed to based on domain names don’t even show up.

So this is an ongoing challenge, and so I thank Garth for the work he continues to do. I just want to encourage our newcomers to get involved in this. This is probably the policy component of At-Large that probably will most affect us day-to-day. It’s a kind of thing I think we have the best chance of affecting ICANN in a way that serves the needs of At-Large.

So, thanks, Garth.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Back to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Garth and Evan, that’s great. I think Evan has some historical context to what Garth is doing, and I have to take my hat off to Garth. He’s championing this issue, even though I don’t think he has consensus

---

with the community. But I can assure Garth that NARALO has been behind him 100%.

Let's go back to the agenda. We have very little time left, folks. I do appreciate and I do apologize. The agenda is really thick on all the stuff that we've been trying to do. Judith, I'm going to turn to you on the agenda. Be draconian and decide on what our last item is.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I think our last item is to talk about the new groups. There are two new working groups coming out. There's one on the public interest, and then there's another one. So we're aware of the two groups that people can sign onto besides the one on the public interest, and they can give a one-minute summary on them.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. Yes. Can you hear me?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Hello?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, we can. Yes. Go ahead, Silvia. Speak up.

SILVIA VIVANCO: [inaudible] a new ALAC working group on the public interest. There is a call for membership that has been sent out. I think Terri sent you to a wiki page on the chat we can see there. This is a working group that

---

started with an initiative from EURALO [inaudible], who brought up this issue actually in Dublin. These issues have also been discussed in a broader setting within ICANN.

As a result of this paper, drafted by the EURALO Chair, the At-Large as a group decided to look at the issue of the public interest within ICANN's remit from the RALOs' perspective. So each region can provide a [inaudible] why the public interest is important or even if this concept exists in their region.

So it's a very interesting subject. Everybody is welcome to join this At-Large working group. So now it's an At-Large working group, which is going to start work in the next few days. So there is time to submit your interest. I'm going to put here a mailing list. I can put it on the chat so you can send an e-mail and to staff as well because there's an e-mail to us, and we will ask you to the working group. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks, Silvia. Is there a link to the white paper you mentioned?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, there is a link. It's on the wiki page. I'm looking for the wiki page – sorry. It's taking a little bit of time, but what I can do is re-send this call for membership to the NARALO mailing list, so you have all this information, including the link to the white paper.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                    Okay. Sorry, [folks]. We are concluding. Our meeting has gone the one hour. Feel free to contact any of us if you have any other questions on any of the items that we can help you with.

Thank you so much for joining, and especially the new people that have joined. We really are excited on moving forward, so thanks again for joining us today, and we will speak to you next month.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**