

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to today's ALAC leadership team call, taking place on Monday 21<sup>st</sup> of March 2016 at 20:00 UTC.

On today's call we have Alan Greenberg, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Sandra Hoferichter, Holly Raiche, Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, and Olivier Crépin-Leblond.

We have apologies from Julie Hammer and Leon Sanchez.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, and myself Yesim Nazlar.

Finally, I would like to remind everyone to state their names while speaking for transcript purposes. And over to you Alan, thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. We have a pretty packed agenda today, and you'll note that there is an item at the end that will be in camera for staff, ALAC ALT liaisons to ICANN groups and staff only. And if we could start on the first substantive item, and that is ALAC policy development activities.

If you... Is Ariel on the line? I don't see her.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No she is not. She is not, still on vacation. Much deserved.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

ALAN GREENBERG: And will someone else be taking this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, she has updated the agenda. So if you would like, I can go ahead and read what she has done.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, I guess let's, first of all, get an update on items in progress. We have a number of them that are in theory in progress, but we haven't seen, at least I haven't seen a lot of action last time I looked, and I haven't looked today. If we could have a first item. The white paper is listed as a policy issue, but we're addressing that later on in the agenda.

Tijani, can you give us a quick status update on the geographic regions? There is still some significant time on that, but I think we need to be moving if we're not already.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Sorry, I couldn't get my hand up quickly enough. Just on the fiscal year 17 request public comment, is ALAC is going to be

---

sending a request aside from the white paper? Because there are some issues to be noted in there.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, I misread that. It's not only our white paper. It is the public comment as well. And is someone assigned to that? Olivier's name is there. Is that his name with regard to the general comment? Or with regard to only the white paper?

HEIDI ULLRICH: If I may. This is Heidi again. Yes, in the past, Tijani has prepared that statement. And I would think that he would be wishing to do that again.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would like to hear Tijani say that in that case. Tijani, are you with us?  
Tijani is in the Adobe Connect room, is he actually on the line?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, Alan. We are just checking on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yesim, do you have any updates on that?

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes Heidi. This is Yesim speaking. He was just muted, and he was on mute by Adobe currently. So I just [inaudible] right now one more time. He just needs to un-mute himself. Let me just check with Adobe, one second.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maybe he can just type this in the room...

ALAN GREENBERG: If Tijani is alive and can hear us, can he indicate it by any method possible? [CROSSTALK] Smoke signals, Adobe Connect.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: There was a knock under my table. [CROSSTABLE]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Hopefully he's not the [inaudible] form Olivier, that's a bit of a ways.

ALAN GREENBERG: Let's go on to the next item, we'll come back to that one. The next item is also Tijani's.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Do you hear me?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes we here you Tijani. He is with us.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, thank you. It was two things. First of all, the phone was cut off so I was dropped. And then the connection made the Adobe Connect unusable. So that was the reason why I couldn't hear you, and you could not hear me.

At the beginning, I hear you when you started the meeting, so I will tell you something about the geographic reasons.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you. We received several contributions from our members. They are diverse and... okay, thank you, thank you very much. It was two things, first of all the phone was cut...

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh dear, we have [CROSSTALK]...

[TIJANI'S RECORDING REPEAT]

[CROSSTALK]

He has, we just have to stop his voice.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Talk about in a loop.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right, well at least we stopped it before it went four times. Last time it took us about four times to realize what the problem was.  
[CROSSTALK AND LAUGHTER]

All right, this item is clearly going to take more than 10 minutes. Let us go onto the new items. We have the draft framework for principles of cross community working groups. We have two members on this committee, on networking group. We have me, who never did any work on it, and Cheryl who did a lot of work on it.

Cheryl, do you have any words of wisdom as to if we need to say something? Clearly you can't be the sole person telling us, but what's your thoughts on what is in this draft document?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think we should put a warm and fuzzy supportive paragraph together, that also note the additional experiences of the recent CWG and CCWG, which are in principle, in [inaudible] for the working group.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Has anyone else read the actual document other than Cheryl who is one of the group authors?

---

Olivier, could I ask you to review the document, and I will also review the document as people who have had significant experience in both working groups and cross community working groups and register an opinion?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, sure.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. That's an assigned action item for Olivier and me. The deadline is the 2<sup>nd</sup> of April, that is very soon so we don't have much time on that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Let me know when you've got the draft put together and I'll have a quick look at it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Understood. The charter amendments on the GNSO gTLD, Olivier I asked you to look at that. I have also looked at it. It's basically allowing a new class of association with gTLD registries, and making other assorted changes that go along with it, including their voting scheme.

I don't see any need to, for us to comment. Olivier, do you have any reason that we should be commenting?

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. And indeed, it's an internal thing. I don't think that we need to comment on it. It's primarily due to the fact that it has got so many new registries now rather than the ones, you know, that gets these few that they had before.

So they didn't need to have some amendments. No need to comment. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. The next one is a launch of registration authentication platform for the dot MOI, which is an Amazon TLD. I have read those documents, and I for the life of me, cannot figure out what they are talking about. It's an internal Amazon TLD. I suspect to be used by Amazon vendors, but I can't actually find that being said anywhere. Does anyone have any knowledge of exactly what this is?

Seeing no hands, is there anyone who would like to dive into the documentation and try to figure out just what it is?

Seeing no volunteers, hearing no volunteers. Holly, you have your hand up.

HOLLY RAICHE: Can I wade through...? Is it okay...? This is Holly Raiche, by the way. Is it okay at the end if I say, I don't understand either?



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, sure, okay. You could lie to us or you can tell us the truth. It's your choice. [LAUGHTER]

HOLLY RAICHE: Right, okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, very good. Thank you. We have an action item for Holly. If in the end, we don't comment, no one else does. I won't grieve over it, but I really think we should try to understand at least what it is we're not commenting on.

Lastly, if there is a new...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead, whoever that is.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Just very quickly, I do note that the staff person responsible for that public comment is [inaudible], and I'm happy to send her a quick note asking her just to outline a little bit more of what this public comment is about.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: What is the registration...? They seem to be saying that this is a registration platform, so that they can get authentication tickets or coupons or something, from registrars. I would just sort of like to know what it is they're authenticating. Just out of curiosity. So if Christa can answer without simply repeating the part that I couldn't understand in the text, yes that would be nice.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So I will follow up with her, and Holly I will let you know, I'll cc you on that, and I'll [inaudible] if that's okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Cc me as well just in case it means anything to me. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much Alan. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. It seems that the dot MOI, and I don't even know whether it's dot [Moy-a], or dot [Moi], or whatever it is, their authenticating something which they have not published what the authentication is about. In other words, it seems to me that it's some kind of an authentication platform to find out if a registrant is able to register the specific domain name.

So it's an authentication platform for that. So if you have, for example, a public interest commitment that was only for registered doctors, let's say, so they can use this processes by saying well, there is a way to authenticate doctors and so on, and we get a platform that's going to do that. What...

ALAN GREENBERG: But is the platform only for the TLD?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's only for the TLD, correct. And it could well be that it's a first start on this. What I think it means though is that it would imply that registrars would probably have to run this specific authentication platform, and that might be something which registrars are objecting to as a matter of rule, if you want.

I'm not sure, but it seems to be something like that. It doesn't say at all anywhere, what the actual eligibility requirements are for the dot MOI, and it says that those will be posted publically before the dot MOI sunrise period begins.

So I think it might be of help if we could get some explanation on this, because it's particularly cryptic. I have a feeling, and this is just a hunch, that this could well be some kind of an authentication platform that Amazon might wish to market to other operators in the future. And that's somehow a bit of a game changer in some way.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well there is also reference to the services that are... The software is available from a multitude of other vendors. All right, Olivier has added himself to the trachea of people trying to understand what this is. Heidi, is that a new hand?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, sorry.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. May I speak now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, certainly. If you're trying to speak on the items, item number B, let's finish what we have right now and then we'll go back to you. If you can try to hold on.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. [CROSSTALK] ...because my line cut very often. So if you...

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, fine. You've convinced me Tijani. By the way Tijani, last time your line dropped, you went into an endless loop repeating the same statement, which happened a few weeks ago. So I don't know why it only happens to you.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I don't know either.

ALAN GREENBERG:

But after you said the same thing three times, we figure out it's a loop. Okay, go ahead, you were talking about geographic regions.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Very briefly, very briefly. I received a lot of comments from our community and it is very encouraging. My only concern is that some of those comments are not focused on the mission of our working group. With that, we need to read the proposal, to see if we are okay with the proposal or not. And if we are not okay with it, what are the alternatives?

So I am receiving a lot of comments which are more or less [inaudible] but with which doesn't give any proposal or alternatives. So we try to make it like this. I will try to summarize everything I've received. I would propose you very soon that the first draft, but if you want to help me, please give very practical proposals so that I can put them through the little draft.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Tijani, if you want to have someone to bounce this off of in terms of how to politely turn back some of the comments, I would be glad to work with you. We can setup a Skype chat for 30 minutes or something perhaps and go over them, if that...

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, thank you very much Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I suspect I know where the comments are coming from, and I understand the difficulty in responding. Olivier and then Cheryl.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, that was an old hand.

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks Alan. Cheryl for the record. I'm putting on my chair of this working group hat. We're not interested in re-delegating and re-looking for a public comment for input point of view. This is the opportunity that the Board has before it signs off just to see what the community thinks. Particularly I recommended this extensive period of public comment because it has been such a long time since we've done extensive public commentary before.

I suspect Tijani that some of what you are getting in is repetition from what aiming at earlier, and perhaps one way of going forward would be just to note that and reflect back that sentiment that had been previously outlined. For example, blah, blah, blah. Also of concern to some of our community, blah, blah, blah.

---

But the only thing that will happen of significant proportions of the ICANN community are concerned about the, if what [inaudible] and quite reasonable outcomes from this review, where we had suggesting a number of ways forward including [inaudible], it would be for us to stop, throw it all out, start again, and there would be nothing happening for another three to five years.

That is not something I would be looking forward to.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, are all of the comments you've received on the Wiki? Or are they separate?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No. I have only two comments on the Wiki, but I have received several comments that I have already put them together, and I have them all on the same document.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. But if I go to the Wiki, will I, can I see a summary of all of the comments?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: You would see only two comments.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Can you put the others, combined as an entry on the Wiki? Then Cheryl could look at it and I could look at it.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I will do.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Let us both know when they're there and we'll take, I'm volunteering Cheryl to take a glance and I'll take a glance as well.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Cheryl for volunteering.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Cheryl, for your information, I was about to contact you because you are a member of the working group and because you may [inaudible], so thank you [CROSSTALK]...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Tijani, it's not that I'm a member of the working group, I am the chair of this working group.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: [CROSSTALK] didn't have co-chairs.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, and to that end, this is my recommendation to the Board that we have this public comment period at all.

ALAN GREENBERG: We may regret that. All right, Tijani, the second item with, that doesn't have your name on it, but normally has your name on it, is a comment on the operating budget and plan.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Would you like your name on it?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I would like, yes, I would like to. What is the deadline please?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know. Anyone know what the deadline is? It isn't written on the document?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Wasn't it mid-April?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know. We can hypothesize or we could get facts.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Alan, let me see what is the deadline, and if it's possible I would like to take the, to hold the pen for this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, it would be nice if we actually knew what the deadline is before we finish this call.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, this is Heidi. I will get that deadline for you ASAP.

ALAN GREENBERG: Or I will get the deadline immediately.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm on the public comment page, and...

ALAN GREENBERG: Close date is 30<sup>th</sup> of April. We have a little over a month.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, it works, thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you Tijani. And we note that Tijani is the assigned person on that one. And of course, anyone else who would like to work with him, or make comments, please talk to Tljani.

All right, I think we are down to the last one on item E. We are running significantly over time at this point. The last one is something that is non-trivial. It's the new gTLD program safeguards to mitigate DNS, and I presume that's actually DNS abuse, not to mitigate the DNS. Not quite sure what that means but it sounds scary.

To mitigate DNS abuse, yes, the word abuse is omitted from that text. I would guess Julia is the one we should be talking to on that one, but she is not with us today. Does anyone else have any interest on looking at that? Someone that actually has the time to do it though, please. The deadline is 25<sup>th</sup> of April. It's moderately far out, but I suspect it is a critical paper.

Can you put down an action item to ask Julie to look at it? When is she...? Is she still on vacation?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi Alan, this is Heidi. Yes, I suspect she is, but we will get that to her.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. If you can ask her if she has any comments, but it should come from someone else also. The person with the most DNS experience in this group is Olivier, but we're piling on a lot of things on your plate, and

---

I feel somewhat guilty about asking you to do another one, unless you already plan to have, have planned to look at that on your own. Is Olivier still with us?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: He is. Yes. He's just crumbling under the load.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not asking you to do it unless you think you're actually going to be able to and want to on your own. I'm conscious of the things that we have on your schedule right now which are time sensitive.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's only the tip of the iceberg. Yeah, I'll pass on this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Let's hear from Julie and then we'll proceed from there. All right, next item on the agenda is CWG, CCWG status. There was a timeline discussed at the last meeting of the CCWG in Marrakesh. And that's the timeline under which we're going to be writing, reviewing, and proofreading, and whatever the bylaws.

I tried valiantly to find that timeline on the Wiki, and I couldn't. Cheryl, can you remind us when we were expecting the bylaws from the lawyers and when the group of CCWG leaders was supposed to be turning them around?

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We are currently looking at the first draft that have come out from ICANN legal, as we speak. I believe [inaudible] and ICANN legal are entrenched in a room, preferably without any access to water or public conveniences until such time as they agree on anything, and are looking at the drafting. So it will be in a condition for us to take to the next CCWG meeting, which won't be this week it will be next.

ALAN GREENBERG: Now, since the meeting tonight was cancelled, does that mean we split down the schedule?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, that is why I said not this week, the next.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. So it wasn't planned to be delivered tonight.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The meeting today would be saying exactly what I said to you. We still have the lawyers locked in a room.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The leadership slash implementation team has been the drafting from ICANN legal. We've seen the interim responses from [inaudible], and

---

we are relatively happy that what comments we have made in terms of when we thought some clarity needed to be put into their mutual understanding of what was intended, that that has been heard.

We just now need to what comes out of that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Those interactions between the lawyers and the leadership team were supposed to be on a public mailing list. Did I not get added to it, or did I miss it, or is it not on a public meeting list?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR; As far as I know, it is on a public mailing list, and more importantly, the draft bylaws has already gone out to the leadership CWG and the CWG.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Then I'm just not paying attention. That's not unexpected result. Anyone else? Olivier, you have your hand up. Is that on this or something else?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. I was going to mention exactly what Cheryl said. The bylaws, the draft with a redline also, and with a punch list have now been shared with the CWG stewardship. I don't know about the CCWG, but certainly it's on the CWG stewardship. And I will forward this email to the IANA issues working group as we speak, so we can have a good look at them.

---

But I do believe that we are slipping a little bit, because I thought that these were supposed to arrive in our mailbox on Friday, not today. So...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It is and it isn't. And can I suggest as much as we appreciate any feedback that the IANA stewardship working group might give us on this, we are not re-litigating the text here. We are simply making sure that the text which is their business, legal business, actually is a accurate implementation of what we intended.

So for heaven's sake, we're not interested in dotting I's, crossing T's and [inaudible] or individual, insert certain people's names, personal and non-legally opinion on what should or shouldn't happen in California law. What we are interested in as this reads, does it reflect the intentions of the final report?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think that's well understood, despite the fact that other people will try to make it into something else.

Any other comments on item number four, CWG CCWG status?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan if I may? Just to update you. The CWG implementation working group call from however many hours ago that was, we probably just want to let them know that we've had the first of those meetings, and we'll be having a few a week, at least, for the next few weeks.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Does that mean I miss the meeting? Because it wasn't on my agenda.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Inaudible]...

ALAN GREENBERG: I did.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, yes you missed the meeting. Bad boy.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then I better make sure why I missed the meeting because it wasn't anything on my agenda. Will do that separately, thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's okay. It was a good call, and we will continue to be working [inaudible] to make sure that staff has an opportunity to be quite sure that what we're implementing is in fact, an accurate representation of our expectations.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, there is one issue and that is the, whether IANA staff is divided and whether ICANN is subcontracting the work to PTI for the numbers and protocols community...



CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, there is about nine issues that we listed in today's meeting, and we got through, I think, a very important and substantive discussion, with firm recommendation on how in both an interim and then an ongoing manner, lead to non-representational [inaudible] PTI should be appointed. In other words, the ones the documentation suggests should be appointed by a nominating committee.

Obviously it can't be this year's nominating committee because we have [a task and we're doing it?]. So we came up with a situation for an interim appointment, which on the table is a proposal for the interim appointment to be the co-chairs of the CWG, I want the ccNSO and one from GNSO, through Jonathan and me, to be appointed in an interim situation until the 2016 nominating committee, so the nominating committee putting people in for 2017 can go through a normal process and find two independent directors based on a criteria that is established by the customer community, which would be the [inaudible] between the ccNSO and the GNSO.

That was just the main piece of work. The second piece of work was just bringing you up to speed was the beginning of the discussion on various aspects of budget, etc. and it's clearly [inaudible] what would be maintained in [inaudible] work and what would be thrown into the implementation work.

ALAN GREENBERG: The point...

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Inaudible] shortly.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. The point I was going to make was in the congressional hearings last week, several people reiterated in no uncertain terms that the protocol and parameters, the protocol and numbers community's work would be done by PTI under subcontract from ICANN, which is not what was being discussed by ICANN people....

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...[inaudible] communities had asked for in their proposals to ICG. But, this is implementation and we are including the leadership of all of those communities, and indeed now as of today, hopefully get some input from ICG leaders as well, so that we can help sort some of that out.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you. Next item is the ICANN 55 review. First of all, a very quick review of any action items that came out that need the attention of the ALT from ICANN 55. Heidi, could I ask you to do that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi Alan, yes. So again, I put the link to the action items in the chat. So you can go through them. So from the ALT meeting on Saturday, that the ROPs need to be corrected for Board director selection process for

---

the end of the year, so we have a bit of time. And then to add to the next ALAC agenda, which will now be in April, to the item of ccTLDs, accountability and future [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: There will be an item on that later on in this meeting also.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Also under the strategy meeting on Saturday, I'm to invite [Gunela] to the next ALAC meeting. Yes, under the ALAC GAC meeting on the 8<sup>th</sup>, the item of ALT to review the transcript and the recording of the ALAC GAC joint meeting and put together a white paper that answers the GAC questions with regard to how the ALAC solicits regional advice and others.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm trying to remember that and I'm drawing a complete blank. Does anyone recall exactly what that was?

Clearly, I could look at the transcript, but I'm, no one remembers.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just [inaudible]...

ALAN GREENBERG: The ALT will, ALT will review the transcript's recording of the ALAC GAC joint meeting, and put together a white paper that answers the GAC,

---

something or other, questions with regard to how ALAC solicits regional advice. And others. [CROSSTALK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so I believe during the discussion, the GAC was asking how the ALAC solicits regional advice. Actually it wasn't regional advice, it was basically the policy process, I thought. It was on the policy process Cheryl. [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: Essentially asking, how do we get input from regions around the world?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Inaudible] when we respond to this paper, if you don't mind Alan, that we go back to the excellent flow chart work that was done in our meeting, it was drafting team B if not D, from in the post review period when we look at that and sort put it [inaudible] limited flow charts and documentation.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes Cheryl, that was from Dev, I recall that, yeah, okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Heidi, if you could find any documentation we have and provide to the ALT, then we decide where to go from there.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you. [CROSSTALK] Silvia, if you can note that please. Then moving on, and this refers to an item on today's agenda, the ALAC to convene a teleconference to review the white paper on general assemblies and summits. General assemblies and summits, as soon as possible post-Marrakesh.

ALAN GREENBERG: We'll defer that until we get to that item next.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And then there was one that was completed, and that was David Olive to follow up with the AC SO chairs regarding the item on the picks, and there was a call on that. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Item done. Next issue is the review revitalization termination, whatever, on working groups. I need a volunteer on that. If we're simply going to discuss this on an ad-hoc basis with the ALAC, we are never going to get anywhere. I would like somebody, either in this group, or if you can identify someone outside of this group, who we can actually get to deliver something quickly, to go through a list of all of our working groups, subcommittees, taskforces, whatever, you know, give an indication of how healthy they are.

If they're not healthy, make a recommendation on what we do on it. That is disband, but into abeyance, revitalize [CROSSTALK]... Sorry? Sorry, someone said something but I couldn't hear.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Right her name down, it was Maureen...

ALAN GREENBERG: Maureen, thank you. Maureen said I will work with Heidi. Done. Thank you.

And I will be glad to work with you as well if you have any intermediate products to look at. Lastly, the ALS criteria and expectations, we got through about a quarter of our agenda on that in the meeting. We never got back to it, because we just ran out of time.

I think we're going to need a document, a cleaner document created, and then a special purpose call scheduled as soon as possible. So this should be an action item for me to clean up the document, and then we'll schedule a call and try to come to closure on some of this. So action item for me on the document, and an action item following that to schedule a call. That's ALT regional leaders and anyone else who wants to participate.

Anything else anyone wants to discuss on the, on ICANN 55?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, if I may?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, go ahead.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Not as a matter of urgency, but a matter I would like to make sure we, probably by the end of April, put some thought and pen to paper in, we did pass a resolution in support of trying to find a way from a community [inaudible] to ensure a safe environment for all of those attending ICANN public meetings. There are a number of excellent ideas that I've heard around the corridors, it would behoove us if nowhere else, to perhaps start putting some of that together on a Wiki page, which we could then encourage NCSG and others of particular interest, including GAC, etc. to contribute to.

Obviously ICANN Board is taking the matter of some form of policy and guidelines, with regard to an aspect of human rights, which many people would define and refine as various forms of [inaudible], but it is important not to let it drop. But we also want to make sure it's done in a thoughtful, intelligent, and globally sensitive way, so that it works.

ALAN GREENBERG: Any further comments on that? I'm taking no comments as being in agreement.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And obviously, I would like to help on that, but it's certainly not in my near future, but it needs to be... [LAUGHTER]

---

ALAN GREENBERG: You must have some spare time, Cheryl. No comment. I actually have one other item which I neglected to put on the agenda. I found that we sort of left that meeting without having wrapped it up. The exceedingly rushed, and made more rushing because of the problems with the physical room and the refreshments on our last morning, which basically took away all time we had to discuss the meeting or do any planning proposed meeting, I found that exceedingly unsatisfying.

Am I the only one?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No.

ALAN GREENBERG: Is it worth putting up a big fuss for the B meeting to do something on the morning following the close of the meeting? Like we used to do. We have a tick from Holly, we have two ticks from Holly. But it moved on my screen. Does anyone else care? Cheryl agrees. Is it worth putting in an extra half day or day of your life so that we leave that meeting with some idea of where we're going and what we're doing?

I'm going to take the lack of crosses as implying that people are supporting it. If anyone is not supporting it, please either say so now, or I see your hand up Holly, or talk to me privately. We have general agreement. Heidi, go ahead.



---

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. I'm sure you all are aware of that meeting B, as with all the meetings, have the policy of no meetings outside the parameters. So the Friday, at the end, would likely not be granted, given that you would have Thursday morning to have your ALT meeting. So those are my comments on that.

I'm aware that there is some discussion of a possible time, some time, on the Sunday prior for an ALT, but I know that that's to be determined as well.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I guess my only comment is, if they were really talking about a group of seven people as opposed to the whole membership and the whole participants in that meeting, then they didn't make it, number one, very clear. Number two, I am presuming if the Board wants to meet early, the Board will meet early. I have that on good authority.

And if the Board can have reasons for meeting outside of the windows, I don't see why other small groups cannot have similar requirements. I don't mind making the request and them telling me no. I want it in writing.

If I sound somewhat ornery, it's because I am.

No more comments. Next item, safeguards, picks. If you will recall the way this was left following the Board meeting, the Board ALAC meeting, is [inaudible] had suggested he will try to put together a small group to discuss the next steps. That he would prefer, he and the Board would prefer not to have a new committee spun off. And to see if there is a

---

way that we could ensure that either the CCT review team, and/or the GNSO PDP ensure that the work would get done. There was a call scheduled with the chairs of the GNSO, the GAC and the ALAC.

And in fact, apparently in one of the things leading up to the meeting, it said you could invite other people. I missed that. James did invite Donna. She didn't actually participate in the call, but she was listening in on it. And I would have done that the same with Olivier who is the other person, because I didn't know it.

The call was scheduled in an exceedingly curious way. An invitation went out to a meeting without any mention of what the meeting was for. It was then followed up with a description of the meeting, which among other things, said that the ALAC had requested that a CCWG be created to evaluate the picks and the gTLDs.

So James on the call reacted strongly to say the GNSO would not accept the fact that a CCWG be created. So I said, but that isn't what we asked for, and someone pointed out that is what the invitation said, the second invitation. Not the one I saw. So it was a somewhat disjointed conversation with people talking a little bit at odds with each other.

There will be a summary of the discussion highlighting what was said that will be coming out in the day or so, and that will be distributed. And there also will be a letter sent to the PDP and to the CCT, which will be distributed as soon as the Board signs off on it.

And I feel moderately comfortable with where we are right now. I did... One of the things I highlighted, which we didn't successfully do in our previous discussions, and I realized it along the way, is you know that

---

the registries and registrars keep on saying, show me the harm. And that completely ignores the fact that they were a sizable number of TLDs that did implement voluntary verifications or other methods.

And those need to be studied by the group as well. It's not just the ones that didn't do anything, but the ones that did do something. The real endpoint is, in the next round, assuming there is one, we should not be in a point where an applicant blindly applies for something and doesn't realize there may be an expectation of extra verification because of the sensitivity of their TLD.

And that may well end up mapping to an extra panel deciding what is needed for any given TLD, or something like that. But anyway, that's where we stand right now. There will be some documents coming out in the next day or so, and it is moving ahead. So the formal action we took with the Board does seem, at this point, have kicked in, and hopefully will result in something happening.

And I see something relatively realistic at this point. Any comments on that?

Olivier, there is a comment in the chat. Is that something relevant to this?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Completely irrelevant.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, then I won't read it. The GA, next item number seven, GA summit white paper. Where are we Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. We haven't moved much. I have had to deal with a few other things in the past week. I am, let's see, tomorrow or the day after, I'm going to spend much time on there. I've waited also for, I have corresponded with Dev on the changing table into a timeline, but Dev has also been on holiday. And I believe that I think he's just come back yesterday.

I have to check with him. But I've certainly shared the document with him for us to work on a graphical timeline, perhaps. On the rest of the comments that you've made and the comments that Heidi has made, as I said, I'll try tomorrow or the day after.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. Heidi, I noticed in the comment, in the chat you put that the optics would be the ALT can't work within the guidelines that everyone else has to use. I note that staff gets there a day early, and some staff there a day late. I guess staff can't work within the guidelines either.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, I'm willing to engage in discussion with you beyond, you know, offline.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm willing to do that also. You've put that in the chat, I couldn't resist answering it. Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Alan. Olivier, thank you very much for accepting to place [inaudible] by the final [graphical?] timeline. It is very good idea, and I am sure it would be more acceptable, more let's say more [inaudible] by the Board members, rather than the complicated [one]. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Anyone else on this item?

Seeing nothing, then let us go on to the next item. The next item is a prep one for the ALAC April meeting. I decided there was another meeting tentatively scheduled for tomorrow, and I decided that it was really too close to the ICANN meeting, and we hadn't done enough real prep for this meeting, so I cancelled the March teleconference and the next one will be in April.

If anyone has any items now or in the next couple of weeks that they want to make sure is on the ALAC agenda, please let me know, me and/or Heidi know.

I notice there is still a chat going on, on the item that we decided not to talk about anymore. We are now onto an in camera session. I don't believe there is anyone on this call who is not normally on an in camera session...

And can we restart the recording please.

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Hi Alan, this is Yesim speaking. The recording has been restarted.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you very much. The ALT has met in closed session. We were discussing the candidates and the potential candidates for a number of positions. And there are no decisions were taken, and there are no action is required because of our discussions.

Any other business? I believe Tijani said he had one other business.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes I had one.

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. Alan, as you know, in Marrakesh, no one from ALAC attended the budget meeting, the budget workshop. And this is really unfortunate. I spoke with [inaudible] and he agreed that we may have a call, a specific call with ALAC, or with the budget and finance subcommittee, to make the same presentations he made in the workshop, and to have the discussion with him. Do you agree with that?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: You don't need my agreement, but I certainly agree.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you very much. If you, the ALT agree, I will write to him and ask him to make a [inaudible] for us so that we agree on a date and time to make this call.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's fine with me, just copy [inaudible] please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA; Thank you very much. Okay, will do.

ALAN GREENBERG: So thank you Tijani. Anything else on other business?

Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, I thank you all for your attention. I thank you for a good meeting, and I adjourn this meeting. Thank you.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**