
ALAN GREENBERG: Start the recording and do a roll call please.

GISELLA GRUBER: We'll start the recording now.

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to today's ALAC leadership team meeting mid-monthly call, Wednesday the 24th of February, sorry, that is the monthly call on Wednesday the 24th of February at 21:00 UTC.

On today's call we have Alan Greenberg, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Holly Raiche, Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Julie Hammer, Olivier Crépin-Leblond.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Ariel Liang, Yesim Nazlar, and myself Gisella Gruber.

And if I could also remind everyone to please state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. And as an introduction, before we start the formal meeting, I will tell you that I normally get to the Adobe Connect links and things like that from the calendar on the ALAC homepage. And I just clicked on the calendar, clicked on my hotlink to the homepage, and I got a new website, and I found the calendar, and it worked. Thank you.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

[CHEERS]

ARIEL LIANG: I wanted to say something, Alan. [Inaudible] The website is finally launched, just launched [inaudible] all the crawling and make sure there are no broken links. It's just a few, and I will figure them out. It's all very good. And you've got a new website, so congratulations.

ALAN GREENBERG: Ariel, I presume you mean no more broken links than we had before.

ARIEL LIANG: The ones...

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no, no, no. I actually found several yesterday on our old website, but we won't talk about that now. We're only talking about good things right now. All right, first item is...

ARIEL LIANG: It's very not broken.

ALAN GREENBERG: First item is policy development, and we have a few more items, a few new items here. The first one is the framework on principles for cross community working groups. And...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm proud of all of that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I should be proud of it because I was in theory a member, but I've done nothing. So I can't be proud of it, but I will take pride in other people's work. The ALAC has just a little bit of interest in this. And therefore, this is not one we can ignore. And although I'm sure Cheryl has done yeoman duty for us, making sure that everything is perfect from our point of view, I think we need to do our due diligence and get some people who are, have worked with a variety of cross community working groups to read the document and give us a critique.

And I think the obvious people, other than me, are Olivier and León and Tijani.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm happy to help, obviously, with inquiries and questions. It would be inappropriate for me to pen something [inaudible] already penned.

ALAN GREENBERG: But between the three of us, I think we've hit pretty much every cross community working group that has ever been. And I think we need to look at it from a point of view of how well would it have worked in the previous groups, would it have solved any problems, and from an ALAC At-Large point of view, is it going to serve us well in the future?

So I will, I am tasking, without asking for volunteers, the three of us, the four of us, I think, who did I say? Me, Olivier, Tijani, León, four with obvious help from Cheryl, and going forward, I think that's a way to go. We would, of course, take any other volunteers that want to work on this. And I see Julie has her hand up.

JULIE HAMMER:

Thank you. Julie speaking. Just a quick one for the record Alan. I made a note to myself to have a look at this for SSAC for [inaudible] SSAC members aren't going to be officially interested in looking at this sort of non-security document. And I doubt that I would pick up anything that the rest of you would not, but just to let you know, I'm trying to have it there as well.

ALAN GREENBERG:

We should make sure that we share our position, whatever we find with you and vice versa. There is no problem in actually talking to each other. We sometimes encourage that. Tijani, go ahead.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER:

[Inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG:

Tijani, we can't hear you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay. Do you hear me now?

ALAN GREENBERG: We do.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you very much. When is the deadline?

ALAN GREENBERG: The deadline is April 2nd.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, very good. So I will do what is necessary. I will read it and will give you my remarks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. And the other item is, charter amendments to the GNSO gTLD registry stakeholder group. I don't know if these are the same charter amendments that we talked about a few months ago, or this is yet another set of charter amendments to the registry stakeholder group.

And I guess I'm asking Olivier to quick a look at it and see, is this something new? Is this a repeat of what they did before? Or is this anything we need to stick our nose in?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. I haven't looked at it yet. I'll check it out and follow up with you after the call.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you. There is a deadline of April 4th, so we're not desperate on this one. I suspect, unless we find something particularly offensive, we are not going to meddle in their affairs, but we should know what it is they are doing.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. I had the same feeling as well on this one, because when we work on our own charter amendments, we haven't had any comments from the registry, or registrar, or indeed anyone else. So I think if it was pretty much like the other stuff that we saw last time, we probably wouldn't be interfering.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. I can't actually remember what the other changes were, but I remember reading them and saying they were immanently logical and made sense. So I'm hoping these will be the same.

I have no other issues to discuss on policy statements. We had a minor discussion on a few of the items on the ALAC meeting yesterday, I think. And it seems like a very long time ago, but I think it was just yesterday. And I don't think it's anything further to add at this point.

Next item is accountability. I don't think we need to update ourselves on the fact that the report has finally been published, and presumably all of the chartering organizations are scurrying around trying to figure out what to do with it. There is still a discussion going on in the list on, should we publish or not? And is it finished or not? And other things

we want. I haven't been reading them very carefully today, but last time I looked, they were still pretty heavy traffic on it. I'll ask, if anyone has actually read those messages, is there anything we need to be paying attention to?

Has anyone read those messages? Is anyone awake?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Yes we are.

ALAN GREENBERG: Good. All right. I'm assuming someone will speak up if they think we need to do anything. I will get around to looking at them sometime later today, but I think they're just the usual suspects continuing to push on a number of issues, which are not particularly important to us right now.

And we have delightful echo right now. Cheryl, go right ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Cheryl for the record and hopefully I'm not echoing. Unless an awful lot has happened in the last 30 minutes or so, or I haven't got an email, I didn't see anything of concern to me when I cleared to the night's onslaught. So you can rest assured if there was something particularly inflammatory, I would have noticed.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I have a question for you Cheryl, and I would ask León too if he was on the call. The various GAC members were very supportive of removing item number two, the thing that we, the item that we removed, including the punctuation around it thanks to Kavouss, that we removed on the Tuesday meeting.

Does removal of that make any of the GAC members any easier, feel any easier about the overall report? Or are they just being supportive of that anyway or are still upset. Look, notice who was supportive. You had seen and others who have been mid-lining throughout. The only surprising support that came across from the dark side, so to speak, was Olga.

And I think that's important because I think what the being alarmed and alerted crew were concerned about was that this is going to be an exercise in GAC vilification and minimalizing GAC. And I think, in all credit to the co-chairs here, perhaps a little influence from some of the leadership team as well, that was handled very, very carefully.

And I think you'll notice it was anything but an exercise that allowed vilification of the main, of the GAC [inaudible] that comes out of some people in the GNSO to do that. But there you go. [Inaudible] just from time to time people, so yeah. We have to be fair and [inaudible]...

I think that would have gone [inaudible] very, very quickly. But Olga, to me, had given the indication that her support is one that hopefully will mean people in the GAC are less reactive. That said, it's very easy, and this is absolutely [inaudible], I have no basis for what I'm about to say, [inaudible] randomly came through my mind, it can be very easy to be

conciliatory and supportive if you know something of greater significance is going to come out of a government high level meeting, and [inaudible] in different directions anyway.

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted. Okay. What I really wanted to talk about... Oh sorry. We have a large queue of people speaking. Then let us go to Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much Alan. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. So, for you, first question about the list, exchange on the list. I have read them all, and I don't think I will tell you that I have the feeling that I lost my time reading that. [LAUGHTER] With a huge work I have to do before Marrakesh, I really was upset to read that. Anyway.

So nothing [inaudible], it is more fights and more, how to say? [Inaudible]. Coming back now to your second question, what was it?

ALAN GREENBERG: The question was, by removing the item, did we make some people on the GAC, you know, at some level, since we've catered to them, they are less unhappy?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. As you know Alan and all, the GAC don't speak with the same voice. While this is at least two main parts that are always opposite. So some are happy with the outcome, some are not. But even those who are not happy, they are happy by the removal of the point two. And I think, I didn't see or hear anyone except Olga, as Cheryl said, who expressed any frustrations.

So I think that, anyway. For the ratification, I am not sure that the GAC will reach any consensus as usual, because they need a consensus without objection and they never reached that. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. Olivier speaking. And on the matter of the emails which have appeared on the accountability mailing list, there is one from Phil [inaudible] following up on this, questioning of Fadi and his travels. And there was also a follow up on some heated discussions that appeared to be starting up now slowly in Congress, regarding spending freeze and things.

But I guess these are all political maneuvers that have absolutely pretty much nothing to do with this, or that we comment on in any way. On the second question you asked with regards to the GAC, I will make Cheryl very proud in saying that I, being one of her students, actually did follow two conference calls this afternoon simultaneously, on the one side the webinar, which we're doing.

And on the other side the UK multistakeholder advisory group on Internet governance, which is a small working group that advises, or provides a good sounding board to the UK government. And the discussion was obviously ICANN, and the accountability. The information that was shared with us, and which is freely sharable, it's nothing secret about it, but it seems that the discussions have not finished on the GAC.

It's quite the contrary. And the glimpses though this whole [vote record?] place might have eased concerns, although the group of 11 countries is not continuing its recruitments. I think we were told that 12 country [inaudible] has joined them, and actively trying to recruit further countries. But it really is a GAC matter in that these countries believe that the GAC should have more of a say in ICANN matters, and should have more strength.

And that's the line that they are taking. The belief is that over the weekend, when the GAC meets, there will be some discussions, heated discussions quite likely, and there will also be some positions taken by governments, formally on the Monday high level meeting. That's the points, and certainly the UK minister, having been clear to go there, will

also bring forth the point of view of the United Kingdom and the accountability [inaudible].

That's all I can share at the moment. If I learn more, I'll certainly share them with you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. Okay. What I would like to spend a few minutes doing is talking about what we're going to do in Marrakesh. I will share with you that based on the number of questions, we did by the way, have over half of the ALAC on the meeting today. There were eight people, at least at one point.

Based on the number of, the amount of discussion, the amount of questions. I am wondering to what extent are we going to be using and need the seven to eight hours we have allocated. Now I have no doubt we can fill them. The question is, is that likely to be a productive use of the time?

Now I'm not talking about changing that right now, but if the general sense we're not going to need that level of time to review things again, and make, come to, close to a decision, then I and us need to do a little bit of thinking about what is it we're going to use to fill the other time, and what are we going to move around if we end up having a significant amount of more time.

So I guess I would like to get a sense of the feel of this group. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Alan. Tijani speaking. Alan, if you read the chat at the end of the webinar, you will see that most of people present were asking about the [inaudible]. So the link of questions is perhaps because of lack of understanding, because it is so complicated, so huge that people didn't follow everything, and wanted the transcript.

So I am happy with that because I am sure when they will read the transcript, next time they will ask questions, more questions. And perhaps the understanding, their understanding of the matter, we will have more discussion, more interesting discussion.

So this is on one side. On the other side, if we have more time, I will be very happy because as you know, we are compressing everything, and we even plan to have an hour meeting according to the arrival of people in the Marrakesh university. So this is something [inaudible] because we don't know what will happen even in the transportation, etc.

So if we have more time, it will be better and you'll have time to address everything with our ease, if you want. We will not be in a hurry as we are, as we plan to do for Marrakesh. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Tijani, I agree with you, but my question is, we need to start thinking about what, because we cannot necessarily introduce new subjects without having material available. If we're going to move around, yes, we need to have an opportunity to think about who is going to have some flexibility and who isn't. So that's the part that I have a level of concern about, that we will end up having spare time and not be able to effectively use it, and that's the concern.

I mean, if we use all of the time for accountability, fine, but I suspect, and I may be wrong, that we will end up in a different situation. Holly, go ahead.

HOLLY RAICHE: Just to pick up on your point, and this was something you said I think in the last meeting, I was putting my hand up to say, do you want me to prepare some slideshow? We can do a background on the RES working group so we can start to get some feedback on that, since we're going to be asked for feedback probably in the next few weeks, and have that as a backup in case we don't need the time.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think I already said yes to that, did I not? I believe you were already charged with that.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah, well I was just reminding that if you have that time, then I'm charged with and working on those slides.

ALAN GREENBERG: But I hope not for four hours' worth.

HOLLY RAICHE: No. [LAUGHTER] No.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Tijani go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Old hand.

ALAN GREENBERG: Old hand, all right. The other item that it strikes me that there might be some productive discussion held on, is two issues. One is the use of auction funds. Now that working group has not started yet, the charter is not written yet, but it might be an interesting discussion to have. And number two, work on the, as you all know, the new, the new gTLD round discussion has just barely started, or will be starting soon.

Do we want to again have some material ready to discuss the kinds of issues that we are going to be looking at there? And perhaps use it, not only as a briefing, but as a way of perhaps of getting more people involved in the process? Sandra, go ahead.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Hello everyone. It's Sandra speaking. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes we can.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Wonderful. Regarding the possibility that we have some time left, I would take a rather pragmatic approach and say in the unlikely case

that we are not rushed as usual, just let the people go and do their email work. I don't think, or I don't expect that there will be a huge leftover of time.

I more or less agree with Tijani's observation here. In the unlikely case if we do have a lot of additional time, then I would agree what was just said, that we discussed the use of the [inaudible], because I think it's [inaudible] to people go to that working group, they should at least represent the opinion of the broader ALAC.

And it would be good to have a discussion about this beforehand. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. Anyone else?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, just to note that in the chat, we can also spend some time, perhaps, discussing the reenergizing some of the working groups. For example, the new gTLD working group, the IDN working group, if there is anything going on there. Holly, the registration group. And then at

the same time, also talking about some that might need to be archived or even more drastic measures.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, good. That's another topic we can add to the list. Let me make a note on that one.

So we had working group revitalization, new gTLDs, RDF, and auction. I think were the ones we listed.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sounds like [inaudible] almost full, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, that's good. And some of those, we can put together a little bit of material, briefing material pretty quickly on those. That's good. Okay. I feel a little bit calmer now.

Next item is, and we are just about on time. The next item is ICANN 55, and we have a number of issues. The first one is the meeting schedule with Gisela. I don't know to what extent you are planning to review that, but I'm turning it over to you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, thank you. Sorry, Gisella here. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: We can.

GISELLA GRUBER: Just trying to get [inaudible]. I think we went over the main points during the ALAC meeting earlier this week. The only thing I would like to add is to remind everyone, and I'm in the process of [inaudible], that on Saturday the 5th of March, we do have an ALT meeting, which is not on the Wiki pages, from 7 to 9 AM.

And [inaudible] meeting, and the agenda [is setup?] for that. But the good news is that there will be hot breakfast there.

ALAN GREENBERG: The better news is item C on this agenda.

GISELLA GRUBER: And hang on. Is that concerning the second breakfast? Yes I can see, sorry about that. I just wanted to bring up... And just while I'm at it, about hot breakfast, on the last Thursday meeting, we have an ALT meeting, our usual one, from 7:15 to 8:45, and there again, we will be having hot breakfast, and we are aware that this is the night after the gala, but it will be the last day of the meeting, so you'll be able to get some rest after that.

I don't have anything to add at this stage. Thank you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much Gisella. They're going to be able to roll us onto the planes after all of these hot breakfasts. All right. Any other...?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Just, if we could take a look at Tuesday's session work part two, based on the note that the people going to the outreach would be back by around 5:30 or so, I have updated the Tuesday afternoon session, and that consists of about 15 minutes, right now, with Alan Grogan to talk about compliance and any issue that might, you might wish to talk about.

He did also indicate that he would be available on Saturday and Sunday if there was time available then. Excuse me. And then the other item, and that's right, Olivier, Gisella has been asked to make sure that you are in a taxi by no later than 5:00 on Tuesday to be back in time for the deep dive on the white paper on summits and general assemblies.

And that is between 17:25 and 18:30.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, sounds good. Works for me.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Julie.

JULIE HAMMER: Thanks Alan. Julie speaking. Just a query for Heidi and Gisella. With the early morning ALAC meetings, if I'm still at the other hotel that is ten minutes' drive away, I'm just not sure what time the buses start running. I don't know you or Heidi are aware of that.

GISELLA GRUBER: Julie, if I may? Gisella here. We haven't had the shuttle schedule yet, but I have notified the person who is dealing with that that we do have the early meeting on Saturday, Thursday. I didn't have the room allocation yet, so I didn't know where you were residing. And I've asked for the room allocation for all ALT members, all ALAC members, liaisons, and regional leaders.

So as soon as that comes up, I'll make sure that whoever is need of a shuttle either has one, or we make alternative plans with taxi. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Or we would have moved you to the hotel onsite.

JULIE HAMMER: I'm hoping very much that Heidi [inaudible] with that. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm sure they have little charges for taxis that we can give you. Which may mean you'll get there quicker than we will if we have to walk, but in any case, yes, noted.

Next item is questions for the Board and GAC. And if we can, however you plan to do it Gisella, can we pull up the list I put on the chat? Camel ride perhaps [CROSSTALK]...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Camel ride, it's a little more complicated Alan. You've got to tie them up somewhere, it takes them a while to get up and down. There is a transition issue, you know, for the timing, they're more for your long distance meandering.

ALAN GREENBERG: Hey, it wasn't my suggestion, it was Heidi's.

[LAUGHTER]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Inaudible], there is nothing wrong with a camel ride...

ALAN GREENBERG: Are we dealing with one hump or two hump camels in Morocco?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Should be single.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Why? Because I think only the two humps are over in a different part of the world, as far as I know.

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought so, but I didn't remember.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: Indeed. All right. The issue on, this is for the GAC first of all. And the issues that I've, no sorry, this is the Board. The issues that I am suggesting, and we even need a subset of that. And there is one other that Rinalia has suggested that I didn't understand, but I'll tell you what it is in a moment.

Since we will be sending the letter on new gTLDs sometime before, this is on the picks that we talked about on the ALAC meeting yesterday, we'll be sending that. I think we want to take a few minutes to say in words to the Board what is it we expect. And hopefully by then, we may have found out whether the GAC is going to be supporting this as well, since they're the ones, one of the ones that pushed.

I'm hoping they are, but we'll see. Two budget issues. And again, I'm looking for input on whether you think it is wise to raise these. The first is the multi-year GA and summit planning. And again, this is something

that we will have been talking about already, and an opportunity to give a little bit of an advertisement for it and get feedback from the Board. The second one is, what I call [inaudible] fiscal year 17 requests.

The ones where we're not asking for money, but asking for flexibility, or we're asking for money for IT. And I don't really want to talk about the details, and every time we say we don't want to talk about something in a Board meeting, we end up talking about it. So this is a reason why we shouldn't raise this issue.

But I find this troubling that we're using budget requests as a mechanism for sending messages to people, where who have clearly been unresponsive to every other way we've talked to them. And is this something we want to raise in this forum or should we be raising it privately and using back channels, is the question.

And let me, I just want to finish the list and then Heidi, I'll go to you. The next one is new meeting strategy issues. The kinds of problems we've had with the strategy, with the new meeting strategy. The inability to hold ALT meetings, for instance, outside of the meeting that we've been told we either allocate time where everyone is there for our private meetings, or we don't hold them at all.

And I find that kind of thing problematic. And the last is consumer trust. It's an issue we've put a lot of focus on in the CCWG, trying to get it in. It didn't get there, but I think it's an issue that bears some words. It is within the mission of compliance, and it would sound like it's something that ICANN should be focusing on, in our general case, not just new gTLDs.

And I'm looking for input as to whether we want to put all of those things there or not. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi Alan. Thank you very much. So on the point of just bringing the issue of [curious?] FY 17 requests up with the Board, I would suggest that it's perhaps better forums would be Tuesday afternoon. We have discussions first with Sally Costerton and her team, and then followed immediately by one with Xavier Calvez.

I mean, I'm hoping that Rob is there as well. And I think really, that that is group0s are by far the better groups to talk about these issues with the Board. They are the ones that are going to be understanding the reasons for them. They are the ones who will see the collaboration of the GSEs, and then Rob and [inaudible] might be able to answer the issues on why we were sort of encouraged to submit requests for, for example, the strategy session, etc.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'm not worried about the strategy session. I was talking more about the ones that are, well anyway. I accept that advice, and let's make a note to... You're right. Sally's group is the one, and this new stakeholder journey that they're on is at least partly about removing frustrations, and these are certainly frustrations.

So I think that's a good idea. So I would suggest we take that... Yes, I see you Cheryl. So I'm inclined to take that particular item off, unless Cheryl tells us not to. Yes, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, I wasn't going to [inaudible]. Cheryl for the record. And I'm sorry about putting my hand up and down, it wasn't showing on my Adobe Connect. I have a lag issue obviously. I agree totally with what Heidi has just proposed, but I would also suggest that we need, this is a particular issue that we have to engage the specific.

And I think already agreed to, if not indicated, involvement of our Board member in 15. I am fairly sure that I remember in the, in one of these meetings and we were discussing this that Rinalia did pay particular attention to what you were saying about this, and I thought that she indicated that there is certainly something that needs to be looked at.

So I think we need to make sure that's one that we're also working hand in glove with her on.

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted, thank you.

Anything else? Then let's go onto the GAC.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry. Just on the plate of the multi-year GA and summit planning, was the plan to just basically discuss, you know, the need for that? Or will there also be some discussion of how the general assemblies and the summits have been water some moments for, watershed moments for the ALAC. Sorry...

ALAN GREENBERG: Freudian slip.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think we need to analyze Heidi a bit more closely on this. [LAUGHTER]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Watershed moments for the ALAC. And again, I'm stressing that we had, recently we had a briefing with some new Board members. And every one of those new Board members that were on that call, after my presentation, I mentioned they all Skyped or chatted that, you know, sign me up, I want to participate in that.

So I would very much take advantage of that mood.

ALAN GREENBERG: Two comments. I'm not sure, and I don't know if we need to set right now exactly which sentences we say, but we do need a bit of discussion on what we would present. You know, so is it just summarizing it or is it trying to justify why? And I think the two really go hand in hand. The second thing I'll say is, you have now said several times that in talking to new Board members, they have expressed great interest.

I would suggest that naming them is not appropriate on a public recorded call, but some of us do talk to Board members, and it would be really useful to know which ones are interested and which ones are not. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. It's Olivier speaking. And just on your first issue, the new gTLDs, are you looking to follow up directly on the letter regarding the picks that we are going to be sending?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think it is to reiterate what it is we're looking for, and to reassure them that we're not asking them to do things that they don't have the ability to do, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the issue completely. We are embarking on, we're in the middle, or starting a CCT review, and we're embarking on a new round.

If there are issues that we have patiently ignored formally for the last year, or two years, then we really want to get them cleaned up as we go and not have them lurking in a mode where we don't understand the details.

The majority of the people on the new gTLD committee that is looking at rounds, are not sympathetic.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this Alan. It's Olivier speaking. But I think we do need to remember, there are a lot of new Board members there. And I am hoping that we can win the hearts of the new Board members on this. That I'm fully aware that those Board members that are involved one way or the other with contracted parties would be taking such a view, but we do have some new Board members who seem to be having very different views, and that might be very interesting, especially in light of

the fact that we have been supporting the Board on other issues, one of them being the accountability, more recently.

And that could be the chance for us since we have put the consumer trust issue in there as well, a chance for us to push on a number of issues that we think are very important, in light of ICANN's accountability. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Old hand, sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. So at this point, in terms of the overviews, the 20,000 foot view, we're going with the list you see minus the curious, the fiscal year 17 requests. I mentioned, Rinalia also mentioned one and I'll give you the words, but I have asked her what she means by it, and it's the middle of her night so I haven't gotten an answer.

But the wording was, maybe Heidi actually understands. It's a budget issue of special request versus what should be standard for annual ops budget.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I thought that was what we were talking about before Alan. Sorry to jump in Heidi. I thought was the basis of what I was raising earlier.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then I don't remember what you raised, because I'm confused.

Cheryl?

Maybe we've lost Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry Alan. I was back on mute. When you were talking about the additional requests that you've had to make. You know, because people aren't listening, etc. etc.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...at this point, and that's what I think. So I'm sorry I've got to deal with someone coming to my door.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, that's fine. Okay. Maybe that was the, what I called curious requests and she phrased it another way, I'm not sure.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Correct, correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, got it. I think I heard Heidi and Olivier has his hand up. Heidi go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, just really quickly. Thank you Alan. Very quickly, the issue might be, for example, travel support slots. We were asked by finance not to submit those requests, where it was pure travel. So I think that is what is being referred to.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. By the way, on that, looking at the GNSO requests, where two-thirds of them are travel requests, it will be interesting to see after being told not to submit travel requests, if they get all approved.

Said without any further comment. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Olivier speaking. I don't note anything regarding ICANN accountability on this. And CCWG accountability. We've already got four topics here, which seems to be a bit heavy for one hour. What if the Board, which I believe probably will be, asking about any additional points we wish to make on the accountability thread?

ALAN GREENBERG: Do we really want to talk about that more? Obviously you think so.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...is now in the position... Well, it's not this, but it's the Board now has that on their table. And so maybe we've spoken about it for the past two years, but they're just starting. Today is their first day.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I don't quite agree. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. Do you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: We do.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. So I don't think that we have something to discuss with the Board now. They may have questions for us, so they have to put this on their question. But we have something to ask them, or anything to discuss with them. I think we spent a very long time to work with them on this issue, and we know almost everything they want. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. That was my feeling at this point. By Wednesday afternoon, when we're talking to them, this pretty well would have been settled, or would have been settled really soon, one way or the other. And I'm not sure there is a lot of discussion to be had. Now, you know, Tijani said they could put it on their list of questions.

They haven't been inclined to put a list of questions on, out at all. They've relied on us. But certainly, if Heidi has feedback, they may really want to talk about accountability, I guess we can talk about accountability.

But to be honest, some of us have had it, at least for a little while.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, Alan, Cheryl here. Sorry I'm not in the room, but I'd be tempted, in that conversation, to say, yes, try some.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. Now the other thing that I thought about putting on and didn't, is this whole issue of budget control for cross community working groups. I was somewhat perturbed to be on the first call, first drafting team call for the auction funds meeting, and there were two Board members that were identified to work with us, and their focus was on, we must put budget control in this CCWG.

We must work to budgets. We must not overrun budgets. And I view this as being something closer to the past CCWGs. I don't see a lot of legal consultation. We may get experts in, but I'm almost sure they would not be paid experts. There is not likely to be an awful lot of face to face meetings.

And that puts it really in the category of a standard CCWG of which we had a dozen already, that we've never even had the concept of budget, and I don't think ICANN can tell us what they cost if we demanded it. So I was a little bit upset that they're using the CCWG and CWG as

examples, and now want to start putting all sorts of rules in place that are a waste of time, to be blunt. But I decided to wait and see how this plays out a little, and it's probably not ready for talking about at this point.

Tijani, is that a new hand?

I presume it is not a new hand. Let's go on to the GAC please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Do you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes we do.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. It's a new hand. I think they are right to take the CWG and CCWG as examples, because I think that we spent a lot of money on this cross community working group. And the rationale, or the [inaudible], the good way to manage their money is to have a budget set for everything.

And for the CCWG and the CWG, there wasn't a budget, it was because we need to reach result to make the transition, but they said that we used a lot of consultation, legal consultation that cost a lot of money, and that's why they said that.

That said, I am not against having a budget, a defined budget, but it must be flexible budget. A budget that can be increased, if need by, and but not having any limits is not a good thing. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would suggest, if we're talking about budgets, shouldn't At-Large have one?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: And yet, when we suggested things like that, it is not well received. We're told that's not simply not how ICANN does its accounting. I have no problems with budgets on the CWG and CCWG and on anything else where we're likely to spend a fair amount of money, or have questions about it.

I'm just not sure auction funds, which happens to be the first one being created after the fiasco warrants it. But as I said, I didn't put it on the list and I really don't think we need to have a discussion about it right now.

All right, GAC. What I see is a list of suggestions that various people made, but not the list that I put there. Maybe it's a matter of scrolling. It's just a few items, I can cut and paste it into the agenda if we want.

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, sorry, bear with me. When I went onto the page, I couldn't see anything else added to the GAC page.

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh dear, oh dear. Let me see if I can find it then.

I don't know where I put it. I thought I put it on the GAC page. There should be a link on the agenda, which I should have on my screen somewhere.

I'm tired of thinking I put things onto Wiki pages and they disappear.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, it's Olivier...

ALAN GREENBERG: There is nothing there. Sorry?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Whilst you're searching the suggestions, it's Olivier speaking, may I suggest the picks issue?

ALAN GREENBERG: That was one of them. I don't know where I put it. I did fill in something and hit save. I don't have a clue where it is. The issues I did write down, however, were, if I could remember them. Let me see if I wrote them down on a piece of paper first.

Okay. Number one was picks. Number two was accountability, and I put a note, if the GAC wants to talk about it, because they may or may not have made their decision by the time we're meeting with them. They probably will have not made the decision. I think we're meeting with them on the weekend, is that correct?

Let's assume the weekend, unless we hear otherwise. And the other item I did have, I'm having a complete mental block at this point. What were the items from the last years? Because I went back to last year's agenda, last meeting's agenda, and... [CROSSTALK]

...oh the new meeting structure was the other one.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. And I, this is Heidi, Alan. I thought I remember that in Dublin, the ALAC walked in and only one or two items were up on their agenda. And I thought that that [inaudible] why were the number of items reduced, or I may be completely wrong on that.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I have no recollection of that honestly. There were far too many on the agenda in any case. Okay, but in any case, I put in accountability if they want to talk about it, gTLD safeguards, new meeting structure, as the suggested things, but we are open to other suggestions. And I would dearly would like to know where I saved them, but I can't tell you right now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Probably on accountability page.

ALAN GREENBERG: Maybe, I don't know. Maybe I'm still editing it somewhere. I'll find it, somewhere. Any other suggestions? If not, we'll go on to the next item in the agenda. At this point, we are an hour into the meeting, and okay.

The next item is item 5D, and that is the session that I am supposed to give on Monday, and the instructions I was given were, number one, identify the top priorities, the most important issues your organization has been working on.

Results, quick overview of the results of your group's work, and why they are important. And a caveat to make sure to talk in words that people will understand. The issues that I've identified as potential for discussing, is number one, a review of the work we've done on accountability.

I think the amount of work we've put into it, the amount of wide consultation is something we want to remark on. If we were going to do that, I would ask staff to go back and... I don't know if it's summarize or actually do a detailed log of how many IANA issues meeting we've had.

And this goes back to the IANA work, not just to accountability. And a rough account of how many people attended. In other words, how many people hours did we put into the meetings alone, never mind other discussions. So I think that would be an interesting item to raise.

The second one is the overall concept of engagement, of which the ALS criteria comes under, but just outlining the situation that we're working in with the hierarchal structure and the difficulty of getting people engaged in arcane ICANN issues, where they're phrased in techno-speak, and often in languages that people don't speak.

So, again, the issue of the importance of it, and what we're trying to do to address some of these issues. And the last one, and it's not the last one. There is also something that we can add, again, five minutes isn't very long, but on our overall training efforts. The last item that is of interest to us, is the work that we have been doing and will continue to do related to gTLDs.

Not just new gTLDs, but gTLDs, and that's a summary of the picks type issues, the WHOIS RDS privacy proxy work, and that kind of ongoing. I think those three things are the areas that we have the most focus in and will have the most focus in the coming year. So I'd like to ask for thoughts on, are those the right areas?

Now, just a point, I am absolutely sure when I got the request in, I forwarded it to somebody, whether it's the ALT or the ALAC. And I honestly cannot find that email. Has anyone ever heard about this request before for this session?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No. Nope.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi said she was also sure [CROSSTALK]...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I'm quite sure. But maybe I saw the note to you. Let me, I'm looking for it right now.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I looked and I couldn't find it. This is part of the new meeting strategy suggestion that on the Monday open forum, about a half an hour is devoted to the ACs and SOs spending five minutes each on telling what's important. As opposed...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...I remember having a conversation along these lines, because it was harkening back to the days of old where, you know, of course we would give our advisory committee and support organization reports to the cleaners in an empty room at [inaudible], and this is a far better system.

But I don't remember seeing any email at all.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I remember having that discussion too, and remembering that I was glad I wasn't chair at the time and didn't have to get up for the 8:00 meeting. Holly, your hand is up.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah. Just a question. I would agree with your, I would say, maybe just a brief WHOIS in its many, many guises and please don't list all of the guises, but essentially the issue about WHOIS. The other thing I might

add, as part of the new gTLDs, is the particularly the work that we have done on IDNs to actually make sure, to recognize the different geographic and cultural ways in which people communicate, and I think that's a good thing to stress. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. IDN is a good addition. I see Olivier made a comment in the chat, good selection of three topics. I may not be able to squeeze a lot in on all of them. Three to five minutes is not a lot, but I think that gives me something to work from. Yes, go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I believe in that point about the results of your group's work and why they are important. I believe that's only for the Marrakesh meeting. I don't think it's overall work in general.

I mean, let me find that email...

ALAN GREENBERG: I cut and paste from the email, into the chart, into the agenda. Top priorities, please tell us the most important issues your committee or organization has been working on. Results, give us a quick overview of the results [CROSSTALK] and why they are important.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, let me find out whether they meet in general, or just the Marrakesh meeting, because I want to say that it's for the Marrakesh meeting. Let me see if I can get that straightened out.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I am not sure I understand if we're only talking about the Marrakesh meeting.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, Cheryl here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: What Heidi says now is also resonating with my memory of the conversation we've had at a previous meeting, because I thought the point was specifically made, this is an in meeting update as opposed to everything that has happened between the last meeting and this one.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. But you know, the caveat saying, speak in terms that are easily understood by those who know nothing about your group or its work. Many people, the public forum, are completely unfamiliar with the subject in which your group deals. That doesn't sound like it's tell us what you did in the last three months.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry Alan, that's exactly what Heidi is saying. It isn't what you did in the last three months, it's what did you do for meeting 55?

ALAN GREENBERG: Why is that different from what you've done in the last three months? Heidi, go ahead. You have your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, old hand.

ALAN GREENBERG: Maybe, again, my lack of sleep maybe showing. But I'm not quite sure what you mean by talking for five minutes about what you've done for the Marrakesh meeting.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan, Cheryl here. In days of old, this type of reporting by the chairs, was a recap of everything that had happened between their last report, and the ones that they were given. Now I certainly, always, as Heidi knows because she often has to rush back with a global replacement era, from one thing to the next.

I always added the specifics of the metrics and the activities of the current meeting. And I undertook from, well I took away from our last conversation, which was at a previous one of these teleconferences,

that it was more that type of information, but I could be wrong, because I've never seen an email, it's just my impression on what we've heard.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Well the substantive part of the email is in fact, in the agenda. I can give you the whole email, but and the claim is this was one of the recommendations of the meeting strategy working group, and I am looking through those recommendations as we speak.

Does anyone who is familiar with that report actually remember anything like that?

Okay. We'll do some research, and if my understanding is incorrect, then we'll have to do some revision. Next item is next steps on the white paper. Olivier, I believe what we said in the ALAC meeting is, I would be asking people to review it, send it out, whatever, and submit comments over the next week. I think I said something to that effect.

And that hasn't been done, I haven't sent that out, I will. And I... What is the real...? I guess I'm asking the group. What is the realistic timeframe that we can get this cleaned up in whatever is necessary and actually dispatched? Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much Alan. Olivier speaking. Just a couple of things. I think maybe we can work out the timing backwards. We need that document to be ready by Marrakesh, obviously. So the earlier we can send this out to our community, the earlier we can get some feedback,

hopefully by, I don't know, Tuesday, Wednesday next week, before we get onto the aircraft?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. I get on a plane next Wednesday.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So right. Before you get on a plane, I guess. I don't know. Maybe make it Tuesday then next week, which does urge the time we need to send it out ASAP to our community. But I've also worked with Ariel, I have given some very good feedback on the table itself. The table is so important, and she has given a few thoughts as to how to make it slightly more readable, or understandable.

And although I didn't take any notes, I'll follow up with Ariel after, in the next couple of days or something to clean up the table, make it look nice. The one that's printed. The one that is online, obviously, will have to keep as it is. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. That pretty well says that we can accept comments no later than the end of business on Monday. I would tend to say Sunday, but since we want to give a little bit of flexibility, Monday is about as good as we can do. And hopefully we can clean the document up and finish it on Tuesday. Does that sound right?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, that's fine with me.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. So staff, we have an action item for me to send out before the close of business today, whenever my close of business is a message on that report. Is there a copy...? If it is copy pasted on a Wiki or something like that, let me know in Skype exactly where it is, or if it's a document, send me the current copy.

Sorry, the current copy is attached to the, I think the current copy is attached to yesterday's agenda. And let's presume, unless I hear otherwise, I'll assume that is the current copy. If it is resident on a Wiki somewhere, let me know where.

And next item is the fiscal year 17 special request. And the finance department posted what they had the other day, and there were two requests that showed up that I had not seen before. One of them was submitted by Humberto on behalf of LACRALO, and submitted directly to the finance department, if I understand correctly, bypassing our processes.

And the other one was one that was submitted through Sandra, that I thought was not an ALAC one, but it seems to be, they're listing it as an ALAC one, and that means any money associated with it, would be associated with us, and essentially take away from other projects. So that one has me a little bit troubled also.

Not how it was submitted, but the fact that it seems to be counted as an ALAC project. Heidi, can you, do you have any further comments on either of those?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, this is Heidi. So on the one that Humberto submitted, no I have absolutely no information about that one.

ALAN GREENBERG: Have you tried to comment, contact him and ask him why or who or what?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I could do that. I was, or would you like to do that?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I would ask you to do the first, that you've noticed that it was submitted. Can he explain why it was submitted directly to finance and not through the standard At-Large processes?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I can do that.

ALAN GREENBERG: And just innocently ask the question.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, and then the second point...

ALAN GREENBERG: And by the way, it is, he is listed as chair of LACRALO on that request, which I don't believe he is at this point.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh dear.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, and then the other one?

HEIDI ULLRICH: And then the [inaudible], I did follow up with staff that are in charge of this, and they said anybody, any group, you know, this is a cross community committee can submit that, and I submitted on part of that, for Sandra on part of that cross community committee on the academy.

And then I was a bit surprised when I saw that under At-Large, and it may have been just because my name was associated with it.

ALAN GREENBERG: That could well be.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. So I will follow up on that. I mean, I do understand the concern that you have with money being taken away. I don't know if there are buckets for each group, but yeah, I do understand that.

ALAN GREENBERG: There may not be official buckets, but someone is surely going to look at it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, so I'll follow up on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: And that's going to be a non trivial item, although I completely support the request, it didn't come through the At-Large processes. We certainly didn't review it, and you know, I want to make sure that an ICANN wide thing doesn't get attributed purely to us. I mean, I'm happy to take the credit, but the liability is not necessarily what I want.

Okay. If there are no further things on that, the next item is the picks letter that we decided to, we took a vote on at the meeting, if I remember correctly, and staff is supposed to be following up with people who are not on, who are not on the call. How is that progressing?

ARIEL LIANG: Alan, this is Ariel Liang. And I followed up with four other members who were not in the meeting, have not responded to my email yet.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. The intent was to hopefully get that out by Friday, once we're over the hump of the briefing tomorrow. That's one of the top items I'll work on, and I'll send a draft out to the ALAC of the revised version cleaned up and put on letterhead and stuff like that. The review of the ALAC meeting, we've already addressed all of the issues that needed review out of that meeting, so I didn't allocate any time to it.

And there isn't any other business item. I see Olivier has his hand up. I'm not sure when you put it up, but go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. You mentioned earlier that staff could take the white paper for a multi-year budget, out of the agenda of that meeting. There seems to have been some errors in the agenda itself. I'm now looking at it. The multi-year budget that was on there, was the version 0.1 or something, but if you recall, I sent an updated copy, and now when you click on that, it sends you to the response to the NGPC letter.

So there are some cross links here, yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can I go formally on record on a recorded meeting, that I hate our Wiki.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, things have just gone wrong on there. That needs to be worked out.

ALAN GREENBERG: It randomly points to attachments that you referred sometime in the editing session, but not the one you associated with the link.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So anyway, I have sent the latest copy, not now, but I did send it yesterday. I think Terri has a copy, or someone has a copy, no. Staff must have a copy of it. It's version three, 0.3 I think it's supposed to be.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Can I ask that it be accessible somewhere on the Wiki, and a copy sent to me? If you rely on me picking an old copy from an old email, I will pick the wrong one.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I can forward you what I sent yesterday. I'll send it right now.

ALAN GREENBERG: I won't do it intentionally, but I probably will do it.

Anything else? Any other business? Seeing only what is I believe is Olivier's old hand, then I will turn your world back to you 14 minutes early. Thank you all, and I would suspect I would see most of you, I

hope on the briefing call tomorrow, an ungodly 7 AM my time. Yes, someone just called out.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, this is Heidi. I just received a response back from Brad White about the public forum, and it's basically looking for a quick synopsis of achievements in the last few months.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So that's clear...

ALAN GREENBERG: So that's exactly what I'm talking about.

HEIDI ULLRICH: There we are. Okay. Glad we're all on the same page now. Okay. And with that, see you in Marrakesh.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okey-doke. And see you before online, we ain't done yet.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Before you hang up, did you want to allocate me any of the presentations for this next meeting? Seeing as you have allocated me recommendations for a somewhat ad-hoc and last minute manner. I just would like to know.

ALAN GREENBERG: As soon as I write them. Do you have an preference of which ones you would like to talk about?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then I'll allocate them on an ad-hoc basis.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think Leon will be on that call, so hopefully he can...

ALAN GREENBERG: The ones I don't want to talk about are the IRP and the reconsideration. Do you have any favorites among those two.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Neither. I would actually prefer Leon, if he's available, to take both of those, because as you know, it is more [inaudible] than not.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: But, you know, obviously, I'll be there for you, just let me know.

ALAN GREENBERG: To be candid, I have not written any of that yet.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It does not matter [CROSSTALK] ...they won't know.

ALAN GREENBERG: I will have something written before then, I hope. We may have to wing it. Thank you all. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]