

---

YESIM NAZLAR: ...good evening to everyone. Welcome to today's Financial and Budget Subcommittee call taking place on Wednesday, 10<sup>th</sup> of February 2016 at 15:00 UTC.

On today's call we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, Wafa Dahmani, Maureen Hilyard, Sébastien Bachollet, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Daniel Nanghaka, Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong, Cheryl Langdon-Orr. And we have a note from Dev Anand Teelucksingh that he'll be joining a few minutes late.

We have apologies from Kaili Kan, Judith Hellerstein, Humberto Carrasco, and Ali AlMeshal.

On staff we have Heidi Ullrich and myself Yesim Nazlar. Our Spanish interpreters today are Veronica and David.

I would like to remind everyone to state their names while speaking, not only for transcript purposes but also for interpretation purposes as well. So over to you Alan, thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Our regional distribution and representation is not really great at this meeting, but given the timing, I don't think we really have any choice but to go ahead and go through the work, and if there are complaints, then we can do nothing about it basically, just people didn't come.

And with that, I will turn it over to Heidi to start the review of the budget requests that it looks like we'll be putting through.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay Alan, thank you. Hi everyone. Alan, would you like me to go just through the ones that had questions, or were requested to submit a pilot, etc.?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, I think so. We'll open it afterwards for anyone who has comments and any others.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect, thank you. Okay, so then that will make this go much faster. Okay. So all of the ALAC requests had submit, so no changes there. So then let's go through some of the RALO requests that had some questions.

All of the RALO leaders who submitted the request have had updates and requests for revisions were responded to. I think everyone saw that. Okay, so let's start with APRALO. And the first one is for the APRALO leadership team, outreach at the annual 11<sup>th</sup> IGF meeting, it is to take place in Mexico.

That one, the update on that was that the ALAC APRALO leadership team provided reasons why they support submitting this request. And the number of supported travelers being requested went from five to three. So I'm not sure if you would like me to go over the details of that, but I can say that they provided a lot of detail, much more clarity on what they were looking to do.

---

They also believe that each one of those three supported travelers will be on at least two workshops at the IGF. And they noted that, right now, the MAG had not identified what the topics of, the theme of the IGF will be. So the process hasn't even started for the workshops there. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Right. The timing is rather unfortunate. Any comments from anyone on this one?

Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks Alan. Cheryl for the record. I just wanted to know what crystal ball as to know that they will be on at least two workshops. I just think worthy of noting that when one hasn't even got the theme, one certainly hasn't got a workshop applications.

And when one puts in workshop applications, one normally lists the potential and probable people that you'll have on your panels. You know, I'm quite sure that I am supportive of this, but I do think that, you know, we need to recognize the fact that it may very well be that what they say might not be possible, but I trust that it will be, but at the moment, hypothetical. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I would tend to agree. I would think the wording on, we think we're going to be, or we know we're going to be on at least two workshop

---

panels, is going to have to be worded slightly carefully, certainly based on.... Yes, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, the crystal ball that they looked at was the crystal ball of the past. And they based that estimate on past conferences where they presented approximately two per person.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, no, no, and that's what I was about to say, that based on experience, these people tend to be somewhat in demand is about as much as you can say at this point.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Because people tend to have to use... Cheryl for the record again. People have to use people who are [inaudible]... It's sort of a supply and demand thing.

ALAN GREENBERG: No kidding.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Therefore, you know, let's hope that this gets through, they can get there, and I'm sure they'll be utilized. But you know.

ALAN GREENBERG: Indeed. Any other comments on this one? Let's go ahead then.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: So Alan, is that a submit then, for that one?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think so.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: APRALO has a track record of doing these things, moderately successfully, you said that they prove the request significantly. I'm not hearing anyone saying, no, don't do it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Then the next one, so there was a change that was noted on the work space. I read the transcript several times, and the APRALO showcase activities at APNIC 42, was actually the decision by the Chair was that it should be submitted. There was no reason why it should not. That's what the transcript read.

So I changed that. That one was to be submitted. The next one is the ICANN workshop is to [inaudible] to the first Palestinian national IGF. The update from the APRALO leadership there is that it provided reasons why they support submitting this request, and that text has been included under the description in a somewhat lengthy, but they recommend that, given that...

---

I'm just going to highlight the... Both the individuals who have made the applications are active participants in APRALO, activities proposed to facilitate discussions about name and numbers involving the invited ICANN participants, alongside local participants.

And both applicants are from countries that are impoverished not only financially, but also with regards to information about ICANN. Okay, and they suggest, in terms of the funding, that applications from both Bangladesh, as well as Palestine be given 2,000 each as a contribution from At-Large to support their event objectives.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. So they're in fact, asking for moderately limited support as a show of good faith. The discussion we had last time, if I remember correctly, was that this is not the kind of thing, this was not really an At-Large event. Yes, it is the request is coming from an ALS but it's not an At-Large event. It's not the kind of thing that At-Large would normally have funded before.

It is quite a reasonable GSE funding, but it's not At-Large. So essentially what you're saying is if they're only asking for \$2,000, if I understand that correctly, that's essentially saying, we're sending a message saying we want to support the concept. Am I understanding correctly?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. Yes, that is my understanding.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Olivier asks that the document be un-synched so we can actually see what we're looking at.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. I was just about to type exactly that. I thought it was just me, and I tried every way of... Thank you, good.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, just for future documents, can we number these requests?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, that was a request from last time. I'm very sorry about that, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Having an infinite number, I have 20, I printed mine out. There is 26 pages of unnumbered documents, and finding one is almost impossible.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, actually, yes. Thank you. Rob did request that of me last time, yes. I will do that before we submit it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: ...action item.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: My inclination, and I don't know whether it is practical or possible to do this, is to say we really believe that ICANN should be funding this, and we said similar things in other ones. In the absence of GSE funding this, then we would like to request \$2,000 for it.

I still believe that this is something that, I'm not particularly worried about precedents, but I'll use the word here anyway, that there is only a limited number of good things that ALSs can do, that are going to get funded through our funds. And I think that is not, you know, we're not talking about an infinite list, but we're talking about a long potential list, if we're establishing the concept that this is a reasonable request.

So my inclination is to say we would support it in the absence of GSE support. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. Olivier speaking. May the document please be un-synched? Because it's still synchronized.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, it's not just me...

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. We're not going on with this meeting until the document is un-synched.



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent. I just wanted to...

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no, Olivier, you cannot speak until the document is un-synched.  
[CROSSTALK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay Yesim, do you know how to un-synch that? Let me see if I can do that...

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, Olivier, you're on.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Now I can speak. Thank you very much Alan. It's Olivier speaking.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Chair's prerogative.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Look, it seems to be, I mean, if a RALO appears to really want to push for this, and it would certainly create a precedent. I've said what I needed to say last time. You know, if you want to slide it through, I'm not going to object, but I feel it's going to have a very little chance of passing.

It's just so ripe for CROPP, and furthermore, the precedent is such that there are, how many country IGFs per year? 100 and something, maybe not 100, but let's say 60 or 50 country IGFs per year. Well, I just wonder if these ones get funded, then the next ones, everyone is going to ask for this next year. So we would just have to be prepared for this.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much Alan. Tijani speaking. I am a little bit, how do you say, I don't understand a lot of things. First of all, it is a CROPP activity.

---

It is not a CROPP activity at all. CROPP is financing trips only. And this is not a request for a trip. Second point, you said it is not an At-Large activity. It is an At-Large activity, it's being done by an ALS. An ALS. So define ALS.

What we are asking for, it is not funding for At-Large or for ALAC, we are asking for funding for activities of people from At-Large. Of course, if they will do a conference about finance, we will not fund it, but it is Internet. So this, those are the problems that I am a little bit puzzled when I hear it.

I don't say that if we have absolutely to support this project, but the reasons given are not correct. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay, thank you Tijani. From my perspective, when I say that it is not At-Large, that doesn't mean it's not an At-Large, it doesn't have an At-Large involvement, but it's something that is not directly related to At-Large work, even though it may be done by somebody who is a member of At-Large.

Remember, these organizations in general are ALSs, but they have an other life in addition to that. So we have had a tradition of trying to get support, for instance, to go to regular IGFS, where we have cross-ALS participation, that is it is not a single ALS. We generally have not funded requests from single ALSs for a local activity.

And that's the precedent that will, I'm worried about. I'm willing to submit this one, but I think the request has to make it really clear. We

---

believe this is a GSE event, that GSE should be funding, in the absence of GSE doing anything, we are willing to make a small request for it. And that's sending a message. Hopefully that will put some pressure on GSE to fund it, and it comes off our table.

So we're doing this with a number of other requests. We're doing it with the ALAC request for flexibility, to use our funding for travel in ways that are flexible instead of dogmatic. And we're, you know, there is probably four or five requests here where we're sending messages.

And I think it's really important. So I'm willing to do this one, but this shouldn't be the path we have to follow. You know, I would like to have a standard methodology by which an ALS can request funding through GSE. You know, right now it's if you happen to know the right person, you can call them up.

And I think GSE, who is responsible for the activities within the region, should be stepping up to these kinds of things, and they are sometimes. So I'm not objecting to submitting this one, essentially as sending a message given that even if it were not accepted, and to be honest, I'm not sure there is much hope for it, it's a modest amount of dollars. Thank you.

So Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks Alan. Cheryl for the record. Look, this is, I'm very supportive in what you're saying. This is one of those matters that [inaudible] can be funding from parts of ICANN to go to various sorts of Internet

---

governance forums. At the regional IGF level, there is often a requirement now, at least within Asia Pacific there is, for some form of fellowship, which may or may not be full, it could be a partial, travel support to be part of the package that the leading organizations went through.

Now, that's all fine and dandy, and that's laudable and that's important, and that allows our ALSs or representatives from our ALSs in those circumstances, to interact perhaps more profitably. But, that is not always the case for the national IGF, and they're probably is a worthwhile discussion that goes along the lines of a very valuable engagement tool and outreach activity is at the types of sister event, having people talking to people, saying I came as a member of an ICANN At-Large structure.

Really? What does that do? All that and the conversation goes on, and that's now word of mouth will be talking for ICANN, and indeed, our At-Large work. That said, that conversation should happen somewhere in the outreach and engagement world within ICANN, and perhaps looking at a specific fellowship, or partial fellowship, or some type of system, could be encouraged.

The other thing would be, is ICANN may find it more appropriate to put a hand in glove approach for a number of national and regional initiatives, whereby it is supportive of some form of fellowship or scholarship that's going to attend these things. This one I understand it's reasoning, I think it's very important. I think it's a great way for outreach and engagement to happen with ICANN being the beneficiary.

---

I'm just not convinced that, from a finance and budget point of view, being in ICANN, they're not going to do exactly what Olivier did and go, all right, with 199 to follow. So I just don't want to tread the sidelines, and I think your approach Alan, means that it won't be.

Now how we get that message across, I don't know. I also note that it's very easy to raise expectations when an At-Large structure a likelihood [inaudible] regional report of funding go through, that they get very hopeful and then disappointed when and indeed, as I see as this will be a when, not an if, their application is then refused.

And I don't want to see the energy from these more regional players and At-Large structures, lead us to perhaps damage control. So I think this might be something that, Alan you and, beyond the APRALO leadership is what I'm saying. Alan and staff may have to calm the troubled waters, and help them understand why this may not succeed, if it does succeed, great. But if doesn't, then we've still got to do something. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, no, clearly if it succeeds we have a problem, if it doesn't succeed we have a problem, and that's part of it. Let me go off topic for a moment. There is a meeting, as some of you know, last night on, with the Board finance committee. The ACSO Chairs and the Chairs of the CCWG and CWG, on and I put in quotes, the budget overrun.

You know, and the fact that we're now projecting \$25 dollars for the two CCWGs over two years, and that's larger than expected. Now a large amount of that is not CCWG CWG, but other things associated

---

with the transition, number one. And number two, I pointed out, and I was supported by a good number of people, that in At-Large, for instance, ALAC Chairs for the last decade have been begging for information on what things cost so we can make rational decisions, and we never get any information, or almost never get any information.

And it's very hard to tell people you're suddenly responsible for a budget, when literally, it has been impossible to understand what your costs are going to be. You know, to say you've overrun your costs on translation when we can't find out what translation costs, is pushing things.

These budget requests are one of the few methods we have of sending direct messages to the people who are making decisions. And I have no problem whatsoever, of sending messages in some of these budget requests, as you've already seen. And I think this is another one where that is appropriate.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. The GSE are funding initiatives that they are [inaudible]. They are not funding initiatives of the community, of part of the community. Even if it is outreach. So you may put in a request

---

that it must be, it should be financed by the GSE, but the reality is that they don't finance initiatives from the community members. Second, you said it is not an At-Large activity. Can you define what is an At-Large activity?

This IGF will be done by an ALS, and they will discuss issues of Internet. Since there is no DNS industry there, they cannot discuss other things that is the interest of users. So it is exactly the work of our community. This is my point of view.

We are always saying, "Oh, those people. They never do anything on the ground. They are always here in ICANN, but in reality, on the ground, they don't have any existence." Now that we have an ALS that has existence and that try to do something on the ground, we try to say, "No, it is not an At-Large activity." Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Tijani. I'm afraid we may differ on the definition, and I don't think we have a formal written definition. But I look at things that are somehow closer affiliated to ICANN and At-Large, or at the very least, are crossing domains of multiple ALSs, multiple regions, and things like that.

So that's where I put my definition. But in any case, we are recommending this go forward. If we are going to continue talking about it, we may change that decision.



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, no. The request now, I will speak about the concept of this additional request, additional requests for the budget. If it was done because there was requests for activities by the community, and as you know, in all of the other constituencies in ICANN, there is not this review team that we are doing now.

We are controlling very much what the community is doing, our community is doing. The other people send on their application, you have directed the others of the controller, to whom they have to send their request. So I understand our work as trying to make the request more acceptable, not trying to control it.

And to say, this is not good, this is good. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Tijani. Any other comments on this one before we go into the next. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so Alan, just to confirm the results of this one is that At-Large support submitting requesting 2,000 in the absence of GSE ICANN providing funding for this request. Is that correct?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. You and I are going to have do some wording cleanup on some of these. So they're not finished as of the end of this meeting, but we're deciding to put it forward with the right provisions in the submission.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect. Okay. Thank you. So the next one is also from APRALO. This is support the First Union School on Internet governance. Update is that Satish provided additional information on this request, and the APRALO leadership team provided reasons why they support submitting this request.

And again, it's in the description. A lot of requests. A lot of reasons. I'm just going to provide some very brief summary points. So this is from Satish in four points. The initiative is a partnership between permeant regional and national community organizations. Number two, it fosters engagement between ALSs and the region of strategic interest for At-Large.

Number three, it provides capacity building for ALSs as well as end user communities. Number four is generally learning content in generic and region specific forums that may be reused by others, for example, such as, informs such as subtitle videos, e-books that At-Large may be interested in.

And again, the APRALO leadership team provides the information, same as I read above, that they facilitate discussions about name and numbers. Both individuals have made applications in good faith. Etc.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, this one, in my mind, is again is similar vein to the other one, and they are also asking for a token amount. I would, my inclination again, is to make the same statement as I made for the last one. This is not

---

the kind of thing that we can be funding on a general case. We have refused other similar ones before, but we logged, we compliment the initiative, and in the absence of adequate GSE support, we would like to do a token request.

Now, we understand that if these succeed, if they get At-Large money, we are likely to have a barrage of the next year. We will have to change this policy, because there is a limit to how many of those we can do. Comments?

Go ahead Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. Yeah. Again, I, look I agree totally with you Alan. Mainly it's because I'm having an almost identical conversation within the Asia Pacific regional Internet governance for multistakeholder [inaudible]... And I do note, according to part five in the document that is put in front of you, that the [inaudible] is and is indeed composed of a substantive people, who also served on the MAG.

What is said there is composed of MAG members as an academic group, headed up by [inaudible], is true, absolutely. But, we're even asking [AP Sig?] can it make clear to us whether or not it's actually going to be clearly complimentary and part of regional Internet governance forum activities, or some form of satellite which is, you know, coincidentally managed by people who haven't had the same interests, and are indeed, in many cases, the same people?

---

Just don't want it to go through without all of us understanding that its credential, at least as listed on the side, is not quite as [inaudible] rich. Some of that is still up in the air. Now that said, [inaudible] absolutely, but it's, as an entity, it would need to find a number of ways to do self-funding to even fit in our ongoing regionalized ITF matrix.

And let's make sure that we're not just trying to somehow make ICANN one of those funders, as opposed to what this is the way it's written. Okay?

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. If I may try to, I won't say translate, but rephrase what you just said.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Inaudible]... for once in my life.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no. I'm putting it in blunter words. That this is an activity which may or may not succeed long term, depending on how they approach it. And at this stage in its life, we believe it may be reasonable for ICANN to do some funding for it, but it's not, you know, it's that we're at the particular stage in its life where it may be appropriate to show faith.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. It could in fact abort and nothing come from it, or it could go on and be an extremely useful team, but it may be an extremely useful thing that it's quite advantageous, ICANN partnering, absolutely.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Then again, given the limited amount, given the caveat that personally I don't believe this should be an At-Large funding request, but to show faith from ICANN that it is something which ICANN encourages, if no one else has the money, then we're willing to put a very small amount into it. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you. I think that is it from APRALO. Okay, then LACRALO. So that was a request for a General Assembly on the sidelines of the 2016 IGF. The FBSC request that it be put into a template form, and be placed at the ICANN 57 meeting in Puerto Rico, currently scheduled. So a request for that has been prepared.

It was reviewed by the current LACRALO leadership, and it has been posted. It is for a three day General Assembly at the ICANN 57 meeting. There are several goals that it would contain. The first one is building trust among ALS representatives within the Latin America and Caribbean Islands region. Number two is drafting and getting towards the remit of new more effective LACRALO rules of procedure.

And number three, strategic development sessions. And that would be, if they are able to move forward, then they would be able to begin the development of strategic plans for all ALSs within the region. It's noted

---

that San Juan would be good in terms of the location, in terms of cost. This draft, this request also includes the cost for an external facilitator slash mediator, at least partially. And I think that is it.

ALAN GREENBERG:

All right. Comments from other people before I give mine?

Any comments from anyone in the region would be appreciated also.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So Alan, if I may on that point?

ALAN GREENBERG:

You're not from the region, but go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, it's relevant to that point. Currently only the LACRALO leadership have seen this, and it was agreed between staff and LACRALO leadership that once FBSC reviewed it today, then it would be posted to the list for announcing. Thank you.

So for example, Dev, I'm not sure he would have seen this. I'm sure he would not have seen this. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Dev, go ahead.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: We can.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, I'm a little concerned that there has been no provisioning for an actual mediator or so forth, to actually help foster these discussions, or anything of this sort. So I'm a little bit concerned that, you know, if this is going to be a repeat of Costa Rica, as a personal, as what happened.

And if you remembered what happened in Costa Rica, there was a five hour General Assembly. We took four hours and 40 minutes to come up to finalize an agenda. So if there is not enough preparation that is going to happen before, and the focus is going to be just flying to Puerto Rico, I'm a little bit concerned that we'll wind up in that situation again.

So I do want to see some sort of mediation talk starting now, in a very structured way, because otherwise we're just going to wind up with a misunderstanding. And I see even, the way it's phrased here, potentially contentious. I won't say more on that. But that's my prime concern.

Where is the mediator that's going to be working to make this happen? Because I think an outside mediator is needed. That's it for now.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Dev. And yes, we all want to avoid the same, a repeat of what happened in Costa Rica, and therefore definitely, I mean, the person last time was a staff person. He was not bilingual. And he was more of a mediator, he was more of a facilitator than a mediator.

So I don't want to say too much, but just to say, just to stress that we have all learned, and it will be an external mediator, bilingual, from an exceptional reputation, who will be able to work with LACRALO, all members of LACRALO. And there would be very intense pre-work to this as well. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Any other comments? I will give a few. All right. I'm very troubled by this. I'm troubled by it, because and it's a timing issue. We have no choice if we're going to do something to submit a request for this. We have the pre-cursor to this, as Heidi just alluded to, something else that will be happening, which is funded outside, but there is no funding for this part of it, which is considered to be an essential part of it.

The whole rest of the process is covered in a gauze of haziness, from my perspective. I've seen virtually nothing. And I'm really rather cynical that getting people together at a meeting like this improves trust. I really don't know how that happens, and I'm worried that by the time



---

we get to the San Juan meeting, we may be in a state which is not nearly as positive as this is implying it is.

And at that point, we're still committed to having the General Assembly. So, somehow I would like to make this conditional on the fact that the process is working. Now I understand within our normal scheme of things, we would have a General Assembly within a certain amount of time anyway, and this simply is pushing it up one year.

But the whole thing leaves me with a very large degree of unease. Cheryl agrees. Heidi, is that a new hand?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. But I just, again...

ALAN GREENBERG: But you'll just comment anyway.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. I understand your concern, and yes, I'm looking at the text and I, yes. I mean, we have been planning this, we do need from staff, we need to make prior planning before we can announce it, etc. for obvious reasons. And I do again stress that yes, trust building is very important, and it would be started before then. I mean, we cannot arrive, have everyone from LACRALO arrive in Puerto Rico and begin this process.

It's going to be a process that starts much earlier than this, and this is sort of almost the midpoint. And it will continue after that. We don't

---

expect anything to happen drastically at this. But again, it's a process. It's a step by step process, which this is an important part of it. It's best what is being seen. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

All right. I've said my peace. Given that... Cheryl, I see your hand up, we'll go to you in a minute. Given that we are going to request a General Assembly for this RALO in any case within the year, I am not objecting to this being submitted because all we're doing is pushing it up a year.

I'm very cynical, however, I'm afraid. Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks. Look, I... Cheryl for the record. I [inaudible] this approach and concerns that Alan has articulated in particular [inaudible] confirm from hard won experience. However, we have made these types of budget requests conditional on other things happening before, and I think it will strengthen our position, and perhaps aid in its leverage, if it was clearly conditional on the improvements that Heidi is saying is that this is part of a [inaudible].

I wouldn't want to see these things get disconnected, in other words. So if we can somehow word this as conditional upon, continuing improvement of the situation, etc. Now my only other concern is, is the highly public nature of what then happens with all of this material once it leaves our hands.

---

And I personally am and never particularly concerned about airing my personal dirty linen out in public, because I'm a bit of an exhibitionist and therefore, but I am concerned about the sensibilities of doing so at a regional level, and even more so about what it may do as a PR exercise for at least this part of our At-Large community's reputation in the wider ICANN community.

So I would just be somewhat hesitant to have our quite clearly articulated and, might I say, I wouldn't disagree with almost any of the points made in the problems facing LACRALO. But whether or not the public problems facing LACRALO need to be [inaudible] and engraved into the permeant public record of all things financial for this financial year, I'm less confident about. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you Cheryl. Before we go to Sébastien, question, you just made two points, or two salient ones I'm going to reference, and they're at odds with each other. You're saying we have made things conditional before, and we'll always make it conditional on is some level of progress in resolving the problems.

That is exactly at odds with let's not air our dirty linen.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Well, it's how one is.... Cheryl for the record. And what I'm saying, since I wasn't clear enough, is that it's a hell of a lot of spin-doctoring, but to not have potential climatic and quite negative [inaudible], maybe [inaudible]...

---

So, as part of an ongoing regional strategy in our program of continuous improvement, and as a foundational step for future accountability and transparency in the region, we see that a benefit may be held for bringing forward the General Assembly of this LACRALO forward by up to 12 months, could facilitate blah, blah, blah.

Use that kind of language, fine. Articulate how we [inaudible] and how it's not working really well, and [inaudible]... Same outcome, different language is used.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. We will go to the transcript for those words and probably ask your involvement in fine tuning this. Sébastien.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you Alan. Sébastien Bachollet. Alan, a few points. The first one is that I would be reluctant to push for anything going to Puerto Rico. We need to say that we would like to have the possibility to have this meeting, and if it happens in Puerto Rico. Now it's, we have an official statement that it will be in Puerto Rico, but I can bet that it may not happen there.

Unfortunately. But we have to take that into account. So there is a place where the meeting will be [inaudible] important, but we don't have the right place today for sure. And just to take that into account.

Second...

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Sébastien, to be clear, are you saying that we're not sure that's the right place for the meeting, or the reality is we may move the Puerto Rico meeting? Which statement are you making?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: ICANN, we don't have any voice on that, but ICANN may move the meeting for the same reason, and we are, ICANN is moving to...

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I just wanted to make sure that is what you were saying. That's what I thought you were saying. Go ahead.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: But it was a good idea, because it's close to the region. There is plenty of good reason to do it there, but if it's not, if the meeting happens in Sydney, I am not sure that we will move the General Assembly from LACRALO to Sydney. It would be a good idea because we would have Cheryl even, in better shape, if we come to her.

And I am sure that she can, very good help. [CROSSTALK]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...Puerto Rico then it would be LACRALO to Sydney.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, noted. But we also have a North American General Assembly we're asking for in Puerto Rico, and clearly if that meeting is changed to

---

Sydney, the world will change and we'll have to adjust. So there is lots of things that we're requesting.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

I know, but that's a little bit different when it's your region, we can say okay, it will be the next time we come to your region. The answer could be this one. Here is that we are asking, in another region, because it's close to the region. That's my point.

My second point, is not just to [inaudible] to Cheryl, but I really mean, maybe, and I don't know really what's happened. I have very... I have just had one talk of two minutes with one member of the LACRALO. People then I don't know at all what's happening in the region now, but I would be interested if a subgroup could work on that and maybe help them and help us.

I think we don't need always to go outside for mediation. I think we have, inside our group, people with knowledge but also how to solve this. And people with some language skills. And if we put them together, I am sure that we can deliver some good will in the future. It's really things I would like the Chair and maybe the ALT to consider to help this region. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Glenn asked, "Do we know where this kind of a meeting is?" No we don't know where the [inaudible] of the meeting is. I would suggest that in this case, if we get funded for this, if the meeting were to move, then we would have to look at other contingencies as, is there

---

another opportunity for the Latin American meeting to happen in another venue? They originally requested it as an adjunct to the IGF in Mexico. So it is conceivable that, you know, that it could go ahead like that, if we were funded. But the meeting gets moved.

So I think the contingencies of meetings moving, we're going to have to handle on an ad-hoc basis. There is no way we can completely plan for it. We can certainly think about it ahead of time. Go ahead Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. This is Dev. I still have grave concerns on it. Not so much that, not wanting to have a General Assembly, to have a collaboration effort, but the timing. And you know, all of these points that are being made in this request, [inaudible] have started several years ago, but and we're still doing it beforehand.

So my question is this. ICANN 56 is being relocated from Panama. Does that mean that next year there is going to be an ICANN meeting in the LAC region? And if so, could that proposal then be put towards then? More time to actually begin the discussions.

ALAN GREENBERG; Dev, we don't know. I've heard that talks that the meetings go to South America and stay in the region. I don't know if it's seriously considered. I've certainly heard talk of it, I've heard talk of it moving to North America, I've heard talk of it moving to Europe. We just don't know at this point.

---

I mean, I think we can say, on the long term, ICANN plans to continue the rotation among the five regions, but there are prohibitions that have happened, and I'm not sure there is a lot of merit enough speculating at this point.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, this is Dev. Because I mean the next ICANN meeting scheduled will be in 2018, but I mean, if Panama is canceled and we're going to have it in another region due to the health concerns, whatever, would there be a LAC meeting next year? That's my question. And maybe that will be a better timing than it is for FY...

ALAN GREENBERG: I'd have to go back and look. When we moved from Marrakesh to Singapore, did we...? What region were we supposed to be in now for this coming March meeting? Did they just swap AP and Africa and Asia Pacific? Or did they juggle the whole schedule. I don't remember, and I think it's going to depend on all sorts of things.

Remember, you can't always just juggle. Sometimes you... The venues are available the following year, sometimes they're not. So, this is a multi-body party, a problem, and I'm not sure how speculating is going to get us very far at this point. Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. It's Cheryl again for the record. Just while Sébastien was speaking is when I put my hand back up, and I think I'm going to jump the queue over Olivier. I apologize if that's the case. But also, with



---

what Dev was just saying as well, I put my hand up because I thought perhaps this important application for a meeting, should had language in it that phrases it as an intercessional, right? And we can use the rationale [inaudible] NPOC intercessional, is NPOC [inaudible] a fair to correlate to the a node similar to a regional At-Large organization.

I don't know what is across ICANN. Because I think why this meeting shouldn't happen in a way that's put together here, is important. And so if we're going to be planning meeting locations three dimensional chess, maybe having the term intercessional as an alternate to a meeting at an ICANN meeting in the region within the next 12 months, might be useful.

And then it struck me, the other thing that bothered me about this [inaudible] come true, this is not the agenda for a General Assembly. General Assemblies are for business of the region, administration of the region. They are when you change your particular, you know, it's a General Annual, not General Annual meeting, a general meeting for business, not for broader [inaudible] capacity building, in fact it's a salvage operation.

And so maybe having the term General Assembly, used very cautiously might also help this particular application get through as well. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I don't think we want to pretend though that if they get this one, they're going to get a General Assembly the next year. So I think we have to put it within the, you know, saying that we're moving the rotation, that we're doing it a year in advance, as you pointed out before. And

---

hopefully, if this plan is followed and succeeds, they will be starting the process of new rules of procedure and various other things to, in fact, help the region manage itself properly. So I think from that point of view, it is a business meeting from that perspective.

Olivier.

Can't hear you.

Olivier, are you there?

Not having Olivier, Sébastien.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you Alan. Sébastien Bachollet. Yeah, I agree with Cheryl. We need to find... I understand that they may be not, will not have a General Assembly, but what is important is to help to solve the [inaudible] in the region, and maybe okay so, the next General Assembly will be on [inaudible], or will not be before three years.

But say you agree on the way to work together, it's much more important that just the question of the General Assemblies. And if could be of [inaudible] meeting, in the region, and we are not talking more relinquish any other dates, and I think it could be done in a place, safe place, with no [inaudible] so on and so forth. And it could be a good way to do this type of thinking in the proposal. Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. Remember this is the US, so visas are not necessarily a given. Olivier, are you available now?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes we can.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: Now we can't hear you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [Inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, you're breaking up very badly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh dear, okay. [Inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: It's not working.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, forget it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can we call you?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, it's [inaudible]...

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, I heard okay I am in, that's all I heard.

YESIM NAZLAR: Hi Alan, this is Yesim speaking. Maybe we can try to dial out to him one more time?

ALAN GREENBERG: That's what I asked and he seemed to say no. Okay, he says he'll drop off the call and dial out again

YESIM NAZLAR: Okay. I will arrange that. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

---

Anyone else want to weigh in while we're waiting for Olivier? I'm hearing very mixed messages that now we're saying it shouldn't be deemed to be a General Assembly. I think the chances of getting it funded at the level we're looking at, if it's not perceived as one of the General Assemblies but pushed up a year, I think the chances are virtually zero.

How are we doing on Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Does that work?

ALAN GREENBERG: That is working. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Hi. Thank you Alan. It's Olivier speaking. I hope this works. I'm still on Adobe Connect, for some reason my mobile has completely frozen, I can't even answer calls. [CROSSTALK]

Thank you. I was going to add what you were saying Alan earlier. I somehow feel a bit guilty about this application because originally, indeed they were applying for a General Assembly at an IGF, and I suggested that they will fold this into the Puerto Rico meeting.

Now as we know with the virus that we have at the moment, Puerto Rico is actually also among the list of affected countries, so it might well be that the ICANN meeting there will also be pulled off and moved

---

elsewhere. Historically, meetings that were canceled have actually either been kept in the same region, that was the one for Jordan, which was kept in the same region and moved to Singapore, and the other one being the one in Morocco last year, that was moved from one region to another.

So there is no way we can find out whether the meetings will be kept in the same region or not. What I would suggest, though, is that if we are to push forward for a GA, and I'm very supportive of LACRALO being able to meet face to face, what we could do is to not link it to any other event, in case the other events do get cancelled because we never know, the IGF could get cancelled too.

So I would say, at that point, we could perhaps link it to nothing, and have the meeting take place in the region, or in accordance with the regional office. I remind you of the intercessional that has taken place for the NCPH, the non-contracted parties house in the GNSO, have taken place in Los Angeles, which is ICANN headquarters, where they do have some facilities and some good rates with local hotels and things.

So we could make use and suggest that this be held in the Miracle Office, or whatever engagement office there is in the Latin America and Caribbean region. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

The only question, Olivier, what you're saying makes complete sense, and I was assuming that that is what would happen. The only question is, do we need to make reference to it in the proposal? I have no problem doing that. So I would link it to doing it at the meeting, but we

---

could have a footnote saying, we understand there is a possibility it could move, and there are a number of alternatives which we would use in lieu of it. So I think that's completely reasonable.

Anything else on this one? We clearly have some work to do on rewording it, but I don't hear any messages saying, don't put it through. So Heidi, it's on our to do list, but let's go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, so just two more. This is Heidi. They are both from NARALO. The first one was the augmented reality request from Alfredo [inaudible], and that one has been withdrawn. And the second one was the one from Loris Taylor, Native Public Media, and that one was a tribal ambassadorship.

The request from the FBSC was that it would be made into a pilot, limited to the Puerto Rico meeting, and that has been done. It is not basically, there will be one ICANN staff chaperone, one At-Large chaperone who would work with one Tribal ambassador at that Puerto Rico meeting.

So it has met, in my view, the requests of the FBSC.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Any comments?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

All good from me. It's Cheryl.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Done. Are we done with the requests? Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, that is it. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Now I'm back on my mobile. Is it working?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, it is, very well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, excellent. I just missed the last 20 seconds of the discussions that you've just had. Now are we finished with the list of requests so far?

ALAN GREENBERG: We are.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We are? Okay. Then I was going to ask the Chair of EURALO, I do need to make a statement regarding the negative response that was given to EURALO's only request for this year. I am quite disappointed in the fact



---

that the region is disappointed about the fact that the request was not allowed, and it was not allowed for reasons which we dispute, the reason being that the request seeks to fund ALAC or At-Large participants to an event which is not seen to be closely connected to the work of ICANN.

[Inaudible] has had [inaudible] speaker for the past two years, as Fadi Chehadé, with Tarek [inaudible], Vinny [inaudible], at least two Board members speaking on this. It's all about ICANN matters and nothing else. I can't quite see what can be more ICANN related than ICANN [inaudible].

Furthermore, the other real concern from our region is that whilst any IGF related activities has other sources of funding, such as the IGF support association, which is limited solely to developing countries, we are moving forward in funding some projects from developing economies, so that would qualify for other types of funding, but the ICANN [inaudible] would not qualify for any type of funding, not even fellowship or anything like that, because Europe happens to be, along with North America, in that part of the world that is not seen as a developing economy.

So we don't qualify for any other types of fellowship. So we do have to think about this in the future, because we certainly, the feedback I've received from my region is that we are being discriminated against, and by not having had the ICANN [inaudible] funded in the past five years, if you look at the program, they are all online, you can see the list of participants.

---

The [inaudible] has been represented, governments have been represented, registrars, registries, pretty much everyone else in the ICANN space has been represented at that meeting, which is a very important meeting in the political spectrum in Europe, and yet the end user has been completely absent. That's it. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Olivier. Given that we have now decided to, under the provisional sense, pass forward the requests for the Indian and the Palestinian events, do we want to reopen this one?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm perfectly happy to reopen it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, may I suggest that your last few sentences, pointing out that other parts of ICANN are always represented at these things, but At-Large is not formally represented other than the extent people can do it themselves, perhaps should be integrated into the request?

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this advice. It's Olivier speaking. Thanks for this advice Alan. I'll be working on this with Wolf and we will be adding this into the request, and we will also be providing links to the past panels, the past three years' worth of panels. I mean, they're all known names from the ICANN space.

[CROSSTALK], but there are no members of At-Large anywhere.

ALAN GREENBERG: You might also want to point out that with ICANN's current thrust to engage with Civil Society, this would not be an inappropriate part of that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks for this Alan. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, I'm willing to reopen this. We'll make the decision, if any final decision, via email. I think that it is reasonable in light of the other decisions we made today, and Olivier's comments today, which I thought were enlightening from my perspective anyway.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl...

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl, go ahead.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks. Look, to be honest, I've never been all that excited about [inaudible]... I mean, the World Economic Forum is another one, it doesn't mean we're going to have At-Large functions there. But I am far more [inaudible] Olivier's appeal where it clearly articulated that we are the missing piece, as opposed to ICANN is a more important part of it.

And I'm very happy to, just to see a rewording of stuff, and [inaudible] but you know, ICANN is even in the name. Maybe the way it was pitched is what didn't resonate so successfully before. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Heidi, next item.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Next item is next steps. So in my... My understanding is that Alan, you and I will look at all of these again, finalize the text on them, polish them. We will then... I think we'll send out, once Olivier sends the information on the [inaudible], we'll send that out for the final decision for the FBSC.

Then on the 15<sup>th</sup>, by the 15<sup>th</sup>, staff will be submitting all of the approved requests.

ALAN GREENBERG: So that means we have five days.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. And again, if we can submit them on the weekend, that would be even better because my understanding is that on the 15<sup>th</sup>, internal staff will be collating all of them, and the process, the internal process will start immediately on the 16<sup>th</sup>. I will be consulted on all of these, and then the, during Marrakesh there will be on Sunday a session with [inaudible] and I believe Paul [inaudible] will be there as well, on these, among other points related to finance.

And then the final decision... Well the final assessments and recommendations by staff will be between the 15<sup>th</sup> of March and the 31<sup>st</sup>, and then the ICANN Board will be approving it on, in their April Board meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. All right. The next agenda... Any questions first of all?

HEIDI ULLRICH: If I may...

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm assuming by the way that we are assuming that subject to people raising objections, the [inaudible] one is going to be accepted. Right now, unless there is an outcry. So there will be an opportunity for out crying, but we're not going to try to get a positive acknowledgement from all members to go forward with it.

Go ahead. Okay. Next item is the, one of the things that we have not done is identification of the CROPP review team members from the

---

finance and budget subcommittee. Now my... Just to refresh everyone's memory. The decision that the ALAC made was that the CROPP review team would be selected by the outreach and engagement subcommittee, and the finance and budget subcommittee. One per region.

It did not explicitly specify that the person we name to CROPP had to be one of the members of this group, but certainly it would be, I would think, unusual to have someone who was not actively participating be the formal representative of the finance and budget subcommittee for each region.

So. But there is no formal requirement that it be someone who is either a participant or a member of this group. All right. To the extent that we can, it would be good if we could actually name people at this meeting instead of deferring it to email, but I'm willing to accept that we may not be in a position to do that.

But may I suggest that we look through it one by one, region by region, and what I would like Heidi to give us is number one, who is the current person on the CROPP nominally representing FBSC, and who is the person from outreach and engagement from that region. So we know what the, you know, what the current environment is.

Heidi, so AFRALO, we have the...

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I'm going to ask Gisella to come on, because she was the one who prepared this one. If you could just give me a moment?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Sure.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, if you wanted to continue while I try to get her on the call.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, actually I was going to ask the question, I see as an example of the first line, we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, FBFC representative reconfirmed. I don't think we have done, I think that's what we're doing right now. So I don't understand what reconfirmed means. So maybe we need some clarity here.

And similarly, under Alan Skuce, to be confirmed. I think we have a decision to make, not a confirmation to make.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. This is Dev. I think there is some slight errors in the status, in terms of what does reconfirm, the staff knows that all of the FBFC representatives need to be selected for the CROPP review team.

---

Outreach and engagement has already selected their members. So I can walk, everyone, I can walk you to the members right now.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think you're right. I'm not quite sure where this reconfirmed, or to be reconfirmed, came from. So my understanding is we have placeholders from a CROPP group of actually two years ago, who are still sitting there as FBFC members, with no commitment to reconfirm.

So again, yes go ahead Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: It's all right, you finish.

ALAN GREENBERG: Let's just ask the question of, lest we have there are all of the FBFC, are all of the outreach and engagement people that are listed, are they all correct?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. There is a slight correction to be made for EURALO, because EURALO has three persons there listed, and what I understand, the correction is that Yulio is not on the CROPP review team, and Olivier is the one coming from outreach. But I will need to double check the records on that.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, is that correct?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: But other than that...

ALAN GREENBERG: I presume that Olivier knows if he was selected or not.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. I think that, I don't see myself as being selected or not selected. I think nothing happened so we remained on the status quo as remaining there.

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought outreach and engagement actually made decisions. Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. I'm trying to remember... This was way back in August now....

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes they did Dev. Cheryl here. Yes they did.

ALAN GREENBERG: Does Cheryl remember who they selected?

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I believe that Olivier was selected.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, Olivier you are apparently....

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...that is how Yulio comes off and Olivier [inaudible] that space.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Okay. Then I think, with the exception of Europe having some errors in it, that is the current status, and I would suggest that we go through them one by one and see, are we in a position to make a decision on each of these or do we need to defer for email?

The first one is AFRALO. Tijani is listed as the FBSC person on it. Is Tijani willing, interested in continuing, number one? Is Tijani still on the call?

We don't know.

I guess we're going to defer to AFRALO until we get a hold of Tijani. I would assume as an ALAC ALT member, as an active FBSC member, if he was willing to continue, there will be no objection. Is that a reasonable statement?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, I believe so. Cheryl for the record.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Then let's check with him. I'm presuming he will continue, but we'll double check with him. APRALO, we have Cheryl as the current incumbent. Cheryl also meets the criteria of heavily involved, and has indicated, I know, that she would appreciate being, staying in that position. Does anyone from APRALO or the FBSC feel that a change is warranted?

Cheryl has always said she does not mind being on calls where people say nasty things about her.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Hell no. It gives me something to do later.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we've made a decision there. EURALO, the current FBFC person is Wolf Ludwig, he was Chair at that point. Does anyone from Europe have any strong feelings, or anyone from any other region have any feelings about whether he should be there? He is certainly, he's not on this meeting, and I don't think he was on the last FBSC meeting. Is he still technically a FBSC member?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here. Just on that, we do seem to only go to the A's. Oh, thank you. It was an un-synching problem. [Inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry I didn't quite understand what you just...

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...because I can't see who is a member of the finance and budget subcommittee, beyond APRALO. Thank you. Now we can answer that question.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, got it. He is a participant, Olivier and Sébastien are the full members. Do we have any strong feelings? Do we have any people on this group who want to do it, or should we defer this one to email?

Is anyone else still alive on this call? Sébastien, go ahead.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, Alan. Just to say that I don't know, and I hope that he will be willing to stay on this subcommittee, and maybe Olivier have the answer, but I think if he's willing to do that, I am supportive of leaving inside this CROPP. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks so much Alan. Olivier speaking. And yes, you would have seen that we've swapped positions in EURALO with me becoming the member of the FBSC, and Wolf becoming a participant in the FBFC. And Sébastien being the other member of the FBSC.

---

Now the question then comes as to whether one needs to be a member or a participant in the FBSC to be a part of the CROPP. So, yeah go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

The process was the CROPP review team member from the FBSC is selected by the FBSC. There is no requirement mentioned that they have to be a member or even a participant for that matter, although I think it would be somewhat silly to name someone who has no involvement whatsoever.

So he qualifies, is all I'm saying.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks for this Alan. It's Olivier speaking. In the CROPP, what we had then was Wolf Ludwig and Yulio, who were the members, I believe of the CROPP and I was an observer, as ALAC Chair back then. With things having been changed around, that's why there is a to be confirmed next to me, because we don't really quite know how we're going to work this one out.

CROPP, sorry Wolf had said he would be interested in continuing. Yulio has also mentioned that she would be interested in continuing. I don't see any reason why they should just not continue, and if I could remain an observer, that would be helpful.

I would be [inaudible]...

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I heard from Dev and Cheryl that you were the formal member for outreach and engagement.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's right, not Yurio.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. All right. So then that makes sense. Then I don't know.  
  
I'm quite confused on this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well Sébastien has said that if Wolf is willing to continue, and I'm assuming Wolf may not have been on these meetings, but he has an intention to actively participate in FBSC, because I think the discussions we've been having here for the last two meetings about what is a reasonable special request, what should be CROPP, what should be funded from GSE, I think that information and that thing...

And that's a set of principles or something which are going to be changed and modified over a period of time. I think being involved in those discussions is an important aspect of serving on CROPP. I'm presuming that Wolf will be active in these, even if he could not have attended these meetings.

So with that proviso, and with what Sébastien said, that if he's willing to continue, then it's fine, and essentially on the CROPP review team, we

---

have the Chair and Secretariat of EURALO, which I think is completely fitting. And I think we've made a decision.

Hearing no objection, LACRALO. What we have from LACRALO, at the moment, is the outreach and engagement person is Juan Manuel Rojas. And the current FBSC is Dev Anand Teelucksingh. And the question is, do we believe that this is an appropriate thing to continue?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl for the record. Can I do a hell yes on that please?

ALAN GREENBERG: You can do a hell yes. León?

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Yes Alan, I'm not sure if you can hear me.

ALAN GREENBERG: We can hear you very well, and your daughter.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: So I haven't been following [inaudible] performance in other working groups, but my impression is that we have an opportunity here to say collaborate in various ways. So if Dev doesn't mind, and of course, if the rest of the finance committee doesn't mind, I would like to step in and help Dev in the CROPP program.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I have not been involved in CROPP. So please correct me, those who have, correct me if I'm wrong. We have been moderately strict saying this is not an open group. That is, it is the people who are selected. Dev has been chairing that group however, and we have not... There is no rule about whether the Chair has to be one of the 10 members or not.

And I would suggest that in light of León's request, that we would, could name León as the FBSC person, and suggest to the ALAC that they name Dev as the Chair.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That has my absolute support.

ALAN GREENBERG: Dev is that acceptable to you?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. That's perfectly acceptable.

ALAN GREENBERG: Excellent. I think we've made a decision. I see a bunch of tick marks, and no X's. All right last region is NARALO. The outreach and engagement person is Glenn McKnight, the Chair, the current FBSC person is Alan Skuce. Comments? I'm from North America but I'll reserve comments as the Chair until anyone else speaks.



---

Hearing no one else, I'll speak. Alan has not been involved in the FBFC process at all, certainly in this go around. And it's not clear that he has an active interest in it. I would suggest that replacing Alan is an appropriate thing at this point.

Anyone else like to speak? I know Glenn is on the call, I don't know if he can speak or not.

Go ahead Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, Glenn for the record. Yeah, Judith is willing to be a substitute. I did [inaudible] that. Alan has done a great job. He has been working [inaudible] in the [inaudible] for submissions, but he is more than happy to have Judith, and I believe Judith is willing to do that.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay, thank you. I'm a bit troubled that Judith has not been as active in this process as I would have expected as a member. Can we assume that this is an aberration due to meeting timing and that will not continue to be the case?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Alan, this is Heidi.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yes, go ahead.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, she did send her apologies as well as a significant comment, which I posted as a comment on the agenda page. So she has made efforts to participate. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Everyone agreeable on that?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. And she is travelling at the moment...

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, I understand, people have lives.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Not if they're the Chair, they don't.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. But the Chair has an echo now.

Okay, we still need to confirm with Tijani, but other than that, I think we have made our selections. Thank you very much. What is the next item on the agenda?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think that's it, Alan.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani are you there?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yeah, I am here. I am sorry, I was dropped by the Adobe Connect. It didn't work at the beginning, and then it worked, and then I have the problem with the connection, so a lot of problems. I am here now, yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. The question was, you are the current... Can someone find out where that echo is coming from please?

You are the current FBSC appointee to the CROPP review team. You are an active member of this group and an ALT member. I said I thought it was completely reasonable for you to continue, if you are willing to continue in the role.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I am ready to do so.

ALAN GREENBERG: Good. Then we have selected a full CROPP team. And we're going to go ahead with that. Heidi, if you can draft something... Actually, Heidi confirm to me who the people are, and I'll send out a message and request the ALAC support the appointment of Dev as the Chair of the CROPP.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                   Okay Alan. This is Heidi. I'll follow up after this call.

ALAN GREENBERG:               Okay. Thank you all, good call. We're actually just ending on time.  
Thank you very much all.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**