

---

TERRI AGENW: ...subcommittee working group on Friday the 29<sup>th</sup> of January 2016 at 17:00 UTC.

On the call today we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, Wafa Dahmani, Ali AlMeshal, Maureen Hilyard, Sébastien Bachollet, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Alan Greenberg, Tim Denton, Daniel Nanghaka, Beran Gillen, Douglas Onyango, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Glenn McKnight, Kaili Kan, and Allan Skuce.

We show apologies from León Sanchez, Baudouin Schombe, Humberto Carrasco, Wolf Ludwig, Xavier Calvez, and Janice Douma Lange.

From staff we have Rob Hoggarth, Taryn Presley, Heidi Ullrich, and myself Terri Agnew.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking, not only for transcription purposes but also for interpreters.

Our Spanish interpreters are Veronica and David.

Thank you very much, and I'll turn it back over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Hello?

TERRI AGENW: Thank you Cheryl. I'll get you added. Thank you Cheryl.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. I have a question before we actually start the call for Heidi. Item number four is listed as initial comments by various staff people. Do you mean initial comments in response to the presentation we're going to do on the requests, or do we really need to have them before we start to review?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think, this is Heidi. I believe that Rob and Taryn are here in a listening mode, and I don't think that they are going to comment to any extent on the request. I think that they might share some advice impressions.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right, okay, good. It said initial comments, I just realized, and I wasn't sure if there was an order wrong in the agenda or not. All right. The main function of this meeting is to do our first pass as the finance and budget subcommittee of the ALAC, to do a first pass on the requests that have been put together or assembled by staff, that came in from various parts of the ALAC and the RALOs, to try to make sure that we have a common understanding of what they are, and to the extent that it is practical at this point, to have any thoughts or advice that should go back to the presenters if they need to be modified at this point.

This is a first pass. There is going to be more work done, but I think what we're looking for here is an overall direction going forward. Are we on a reasonable path? Are we being reasonable with respect to what our expectations are? And what has to be refined at this point, clearly from our perspective.

---

I will note that the finance and budget subcommittee does have one other responsibility we haven't followed up on yet, which we will not be doing this meeting, but we will have to do in the near future, and that is select finance and budget people for the CROPP review team, but we'll put that on hold for the moment.

And with that, I'll turn it over to Heidi to start doing the review. We'll look at the ALAC requests first and then the ones that have come in from the RALOs. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. So we have quite bit of time scheduled for this. So what I would like to do is basically go through the ALAC and talk a little bit about the description. What we've done also this year, so you can follow along perhaps a bit better as in the past, is that we, on the page that is being displayed now, we've offered both the request, the source of that request, hyperlinked to that request is the actual full request.

And then we also have a box for the description. And in some cases where there are preliminary funding spaces, we've added that as well. Some of the requests are in French or Spanish, and we have tried to translate those for the English speaking group.

Okay. So I'm just going to begin. I'm going to be on a different page, so if someone has their hand raised, please do let me know. Alan, do you want to go through just each one and then discuss it in succession?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I think we want the discussion one by one, but keep in mind that we need to keep things short because although we have a fair amount of time, there is a lot of requests here, and a few of them are very substantive.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, so again, we now have a total of 20. We have six from ALAC and 14 from the RALOs. Okay, so let's begin with the ALAC. We have a second request, a second pilot request for a special community request for strategic sessions at ICANN 57 and 58. I don't know that I have fiscal year 16, I'll correct that on the page.

This was actually... We did the first one in Dublin, this was on the Saturday. This request is for the same thing, Saturday, which is now part of meeting C and A, and it also includes a facilitator and the lunch. Those are new items for this year.

And again, the idea is to include an external facilitator and to have, the [inaudible] ALAC [inaudible] workload, facilitation skills, and so forth. I think that's it. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Any comments from anyone else before I make mine?

Tijani, go ahead.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. So if I understood well, there would be included in the last day of the meeting A and C [inaudible]...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, this is Heidi. No. This is the strategic working session, and that will take place on the Saturday. So this is not the development session.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you. Excuse me.

ALAN GREENBERG: Anybody else? Okay, then I'll chime in. First of all, I guess I'm a little confused. You did say this was the second such request. The last request was indeed for an extra day.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. I meant, this is Heidi. I meant basically a strategic session.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. So what you're suggesting here is not an extra day like the session in Dublin, but simply adding some services to the Saturday, to the first day of the meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct, because those Saturdays have now been included in the meetings.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. I don't equate the two, I understand you do. However, is it really clear that we're going to have anything to discuss at these meetings, where we really need and want facilitation? That's not intuitively obvious to me. And second of all, if there is such a thing, that implies that the time is going to be taken away from the other things we normally would have done on that day, and therefore tightening the schedule up an awful lot.

So the question is, is this really something that is going to be effective and used? And I see Olivier has his hand up, so perhaps we'll go to him before continuing on. Go ahead Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you Alan. It's Olivier speaking. I have a question very similar to yours. I'm expressing my bewilderment, maybe is the right word, is that so we chopped away a Friday on the meeting so as to make sure that... Well, I mean, it was seen as being a waste of resources, and now we're adding resources at the beginning of the week.

So we effectively have shifted the full week forward. It sounds strange, but that seems to be the last bit of the puzzle, that says well now we're even going to have now the rest of the resources coming forward as well. So there will be less and less resources on Friday and more and more resources on the Saturday.

Is that correct? Am I understanding this correctly?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, this is Heidi. Again, the meeting strategy working group decided that meetings C and meeting A would be on that Saturday. So that basically is an extra day. I think that this request is more focused on the outcome of a strategic session for the ALAC rather than the resources to let it be.

I think again, this request is from the ALAC, it requests the facilitator that we did not have last time, and I believe that there is a belief that that facilitator would help that session be more effective for the ALAC.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I've gotten associated comment. I must admit, and this is a very personal comment based on history. I really resent having to make a special request to have a working lunch, when the GNSO has had such a lunch on Saturday with a hot lunch, which they're catered for, forever, and we have to make a special budget request to do this.

I'm just noting that. I guess the question is, is there a believe that we're really going to need a facilitator for half a day, for the kind of discussions that we either normally have or should be having as we go forward?

TIM DENTON: Tim Denton.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sure, go ahead.

---

TIM DENTON: The answer is no. I agree with you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Any other thoughts from other ALAC members, past ALAC members? I see Sébastien, Dev, Glenn, Cheryl. I don't mean to be negative, but I really have a problem saying, are we going to be in a week before the meeting and saying, now what can we get this facilitator to do? Because we have them booked and it's not clear what it is they're facilitating. Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. For this strategic session, I don't think we need a facilitator. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Did I hear Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I was just going to say that Tijani's hand was up, but now I have the microphone, so I'll just say, I do understand the facilitator request for strategy. I do think that it is the source of thing that most of us in leadership roles think we do effectively and professionally.

And if we go through truly professionally led strategy development, we'll discover the effectiveness and efficiency are [inaudible] on the return if it is a well and professionally led event. That said, [inaudible]



---

and if you don't think you need to have [inaudible] at the beginning of the meeting so you'll get more bang for your buck, that's fine. But I do actually understand the rationale for effective and professional strategy...

ALAN GREENBERG:

Cheryl, let me try to be clear because I guess I wasn't. I'm not negating the benefit of it, I'm just not sure we're going to do the prep and the, and be in a position to really effectively use it. Not that if we had a subject that we really wanted to strategize on, this would not be an effective way of doing it. And that's my real concern.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Sounds like the frustrations with the changing of how meetings are running with meeting strategy, so providing a little bit of angst and complication here. So I think I'll listen quietly and keep my opinions to myself.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Not what I would prefer, but okay. Anyone else have comments? We seem to be... The vocal people, except Cheryl, seem to be saying we don't need it. Is there any real belief that we will be able to benefit? And that really means we have to do the prep work ahead of time, to have a subject we need to be willing to devote three or four hours to a single subject, and it's something that will be timely.

Now we're talking about this for both the June and October, November meetings. Is that correct Heidi?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. That would be C and A. And I have my hand up, may I take the floor?

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So just keeping in mind that comparing the way that these strategic session versus the way the development session ran in Dublin, given that we did have an external facilitator for the development session, and that Alan and Cheryl did work with that facilitator to set the final agenda and how successful that was compared to the strategic session that probably was not as effective as it could have been, I think that leads to another, there is another reason why we, this request would be useful.

And perhaps have Alan and Cheryl be involved with that external facilitator, or others. And then the second point is that the At-Large review should be coming into its final report from external reviewer around that time, and then for meeting A, the improvements will be at a stage where they start slowly needing to be developed. So I think that that might be another reason to have these sessions at that time.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, for that one, that may make some sense. All right, let's keep this one on. I think we need some talk amongst ourselves to go forward,

---

let's not put too much time into it right now. Let's go on to the next one please.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, thank you. This is Heidi. The next one is for a fiscal year 17 community request for a development session. And this is basically the same request as we had for Dublin. The only change now is that this would be an extra day outside of the meeting C. So this is on a Saturday between nine and [inaudible], as it is.

Now there has been some discussion that this could also be a hybrid approach would be taken place on the afternoon of the Friday within the meeting C. And I'll stop there.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Thank you. Again, comments from anyone?

Go ahead Sébastien.

Sébastien we can't hear you.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes sorry, I was just, the time that I put everything in order. I am just joining you, but from my point of view, maybe I don't understand thing but for me, it's a done deal. The Friday of the AGM, it's for development session for the community [inaudible], and for ALAC. It's a reason why there is one day after the Thursday, the Friday is exactly for

---

that, and I don't see any reason why it will not happen, and I don't see why we need to ask.

But and if I am wrong, I am sorry. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Well two things, Sébastien. First of all, there is a request for food and a facilitator. And unless there is something going on that I don't know about, that is not automatically implied in the new meeting strategy. And number two, there has been considerable desire among some people to in fact, extend it and not have it be on the Friday, but to use an extra day.

So that's the answer to those questions. Olivier, did I see your hand up?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. I was going to mention what Sébastien had said, but I also realize that it is difficult for me to comment on this because this is something which only the people who have taken part in this year will be really able to gauge whether it's worth having a moderator or not.

I remind you that everyone else was kicked out of the room. So, you know, I'm not sure how it went, and I guess it's really for those people who were at it, to tell us whether it was good or not, it was useful or not. Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

I think you've been at enough similar sessions in your life to have some imagination. In general, it was worthwhile. There was... It was not orchestrated as well as it could have been for a number of reasons, but overall it was a productive meeting and having the external facilitator, I believe, was a good thing.

Anyone else from people who were there? Did we want to push for an extra day despite the fact that Sébastien tells us that wasn't the way it was designed, or do we want to revert back to what actually the previous version of this said, saying that the development meeting will be the last half or two-thirds of the day on Friday?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Alan, Cheryl here. I think it's important that if you are having a development session, and I think it's important that you do have a development session with new incoming members of a group and existing members of the group so that you do have a kick off or establishment of foundation behaviors expectations more team building, etc.

That is professionally facilitated, you know how I feel about this. We can try volunteers [inaudible] and see how they sink or swim, or we can give them some training, and I'm more for the training. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. I fully accept the concept. The only question we're asking is which day. The other issue, of course, is we have another 10 or 12 people who are not participating in this process, that are going to be

---

there on the Friday, and we need to understand what they're going to be doing, or that we're sending them away on a tour of the city, at that point. Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you Alan. I think that, I just wanted to point out in the discussions that we've had on the email about extending the days of some of the, especially the long meetings, or the meetings that are longer already, that there are people who are saying it's too long and they don't want to have another additional day.

But from the perspective of using a facilitator, I think that, you know, because if it's a development, development program as long as everybody knows what [inaudible] beforehand, I think the facilitator can actually select a really good mediator type of person as well.

So yeah, I guess it depends on what the content and the context of our meeting, you know, the actual development program, what it actually involves as to whether we need to have that facilitator or not. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. What I'm hearing in general is, yes the session is something we want, but we should revert back to the previous version of it, a couple of days ago, where it is on the, you know, starting late in the morning or something like that, on the Friday. Am I reading this group properly? Anyone objecting?

---

It's not my personal preference, and it's not what was... There was a discussion, I don't remember if it was on the, I think it was on the ALAC meeting, but I'm not sure, where there was a general feeling that adding an extra day was a good thing.

Maybe I... I know it was on some meeting, and it wasn't the ALT so it was probably the last ALAC meeting. But this group seems to be saying, let's hold on the Friday, and but go ahead otherwise as planned. Is that correct? Hearing nothing negative, let's go on to the next one.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: If we're spending another day in Marrakesh, [inaudible] question, but then does the [inaudible] travel section automatically adjust to this? Or how does that portion work out?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm sorry. This isn't for Marrakesh. We're talking about for the annual general meeting next October/November.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Sorry, I apologize.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's okay. When you say [ARIN], I presume you mean ICANN.

---

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I'm deeply mentally confused. [Inaudible]... So let me ask the question in general. If it were such that we needed an extra day, does this automatically computed in the ICANN generated travel arrangements?

ALAN GREENBERG: The answer is yes. If we were asking for an extra day, that would be a substantial part of the costs of that particular project, because you're adding an extra hotel per diem for all of the people participating. So it would be included, should it be approved.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Now I would also say, due to the current practices of constituency travel, when you get the travel request, it would be exceedingly confusing that it was approved, but it would have been. Sorry, that's just a little personal addition. Heidi, let's go on to the next one.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you. The next one is the pilot part two of the real time captioning on Adobe Connect. I know that Judith is on the call, but just very quickly, this is basically the logical addition where it would be for interpretation or translations into Spanish and French as well. And it would be the same amount of calls as the current project, it's only the addition of the languages. Thank you.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Alan. Cheryl for the record. I think this is a natural consequence of a continuation of an effective pilot, it goes on to proof of concept in a multilingual environment. And I would [inaudible] that it makes a great deal of sense from a general accessibility of point of view, and I'm not talking a disability, I'm talking accessibility, whereby this is of course a mechanism to provide additional useful outreach opportunities for people.

So I think as a proof of concept, [inaudible] is something that we should be supporting. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Anyone else? Anyone have any comments that would imply we shouldn't be supporting this? Seeing nothing, I think we have an answer on that one. Let's go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay Alan, thank you. This is Heidi. The next one is for, to give discretion for using the two additional travel slots. So in brief, currently the ALAC has 25 plus two. And those additional two are set aside for the GNSO and ccNSO liaisons if they are not already funded. So this request basically would seek to give the ALAC a discretion to use those

---

two slots in any way they wish, to for example, bring new working group chairs, etc. to the ICANN meetings. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. Yeah, again, I have a number of pointed remarks on this one. The travel for all of the other ACs and SOs is provided to the ACs and SOs with a certain number of travel slots to use as they wish. We are in the unique position that we have 25 slots to use as we wish, and two slots which can only be used for specific purposes.

It didn't use to be that way. At one point they were usable as discretionary slots. Then it was changed that we couldn't use them as discretionary slots anymore. I find this mistreatment of the ALAC, and I resent that we have to do a special budget request, but given that travel people have taken the line that they have, I think we have no choice but to make this special request.

But I do it with a great amount of resentment. Comments? Olivier agrees. And I trust that people who are here from finance and related areas are noting my tone.

Yes please go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, thank you. The next request comes from the technology taskforce. And this is a request to fix the bug that currently exists in the LACRALO translation tool. So there is an ongoing issue, and given the current challenges in LACRALO, this request is that ICANN does commit

---

certain resources to complete this translation tool issue to a satisfactory resolution. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. Again, I will make some pointed comments on this one, that I do not believe that we should be having to make a special budget request to say provide the RALOs with tools to allow them to at least try to be effective. Translation for LACRALO has been an issue for well over half a dozen years at this point. We have had problems.

We have been requesting fixes for it. ICANN has literally stonewalled the process. We've had some effective ICANN volunteers, ICANN staff who have volunteered to try to fix the problem in their spare time. This is an issue which, I believe, is absolutely crucial, and it's probably one of the reasons that have led to the literal almost break up of LACRALO, certainly hasn't helped any.

And again, I find it completely inappropriate that we have to do a special budget request to ask for basic tools, but we do. Comments? Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. And I just wanted to add to what you have said. I find it flabbergasting to see that it's a staff member, who has done a great, great work, but how to use their spare cycles to fix this, when this whole thing about ICANN, globalization, and being able to reach people worldwide, has spent millions in opening offices in

---

Singapore and in Turkey, and yet is not able to fix a darn tool that is based on some free stuff.

And knowing ICANN's global reach, they could even have had a company in some of the developing world countries out there that are really doing so well in IT, I'm not pointing any specifics, there are so many of them, and they could have used of that knowledge over there to make sure that we've got tools that work well.

The tool there is simply just, as inappropriate as it was when I first became ALAC chair in 2010. And that gives you five years, six now, of hell. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

No, no, no. Let's be honest Olivier. We no longer get subject message, subject lines on emails that start off with head of cattle. That was fixed. For those on staff who do not know why we're talking about head of cattle, we'll talk about that privately, but that is what our messages from various people would say. Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks Alan. Cheryl for the record. Look, I just wanted to mention that we are extremely grateful of the individual time, efforts, and energy [inaudible] in fixing a highly infirmity and difficult, apparently, to fix issue. But it does bother me just a tiny bit that this is coming out of a RALO request, RALO [inaudible], an ALAC request for a RALO need, when it's a basic communication issue.

---

And I'm absolutely supporting of it going ahead because we have to do something, but [inaudible] so it should be coming out of this particular part of the pie. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Indeed. Thank you Cheryl. And that's why it's an ALAC request, not a LACRALO request. As far as I'm concerned, we both, ALAC and ICANN are not serving the RALO well, by not having such a tool available, when they've clearly indicated for over half a dozen years, that it's necessary. And that is why it's an ALAC request, not a RALO request.

Although as is pointed out in the chat, if we had a decent tool, it might be usable by other RALOs as well, but that's almost mute. Thank you. Let's go ahead with this. I think we've vented our spleen enough over this one.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. Thank you. Let's move on to the RALO request. The first one if for a RALO leader development session. This is very much similar to the ALAC development session. This one is scheduled for Friday, 9 to 12, we can move that to 8 to 12, if needed. Again, saying very similar format. Sort of a team building exercise with an external facilitator, likely the same one for the ALAC.

This would be for the new RALO chairs and secretaries in the meeting C in Puerto Rico. Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Did you mean the new ones and the new and continuing?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. New and continuing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The new team, shall we say? The new class.

ALAN GREENBERG: Comments? All right, I'll address a question that isn't being asked, because it was asked on, I think it was the ALT call where these were also reviewed, and that is, why don't we do them together? And my answer at that point was, they're rather different groups with different needs to work as a unit, and this one is perhaps more training for them all done at the same time, rather than an effort to make them all work together as a single team.

So the intent is quite different. And it also is increasing the size of the group to 25 or 26 or something like that, also makes this kind of training session a little bit more unwieldy. So that's the rationale for two different ones.

Any comments on this? We see a tick mark from Glenn. Yes Sébastien?

---

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, thank you Alan. Just a question. Can't we imagine that one part of the work will be done for the ALAC with training and the information, and not team building, as such, could be shared and will be easier, and will be, for example, [inaudible], and that the rest we split the team? But we take advantage of information and work together, training together?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think the simple answer to that is, that may be the case, and we will have plenty of opportunity in the lead up to this to rearrange the schedule so there is some overlap, if that's appropriate. I don't think it precludes it. It's just that we're... The overall focus will be different on the two of them, and we want to allow for that, but that doesn't preclude that there might be some that is, in fact, done jointly.

Any other comments or thoughts? Seeing none, oh sorry. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, this is Heidi. Just quickly, I'm aware that this submission, this request was discussed at the [research?] secretariat call of all of the RALOs, and that there was significant support of this request. So I just wanted to state that for the record.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Should we move on?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, the next one... We're going to now go into the individual requests from the five RALOs. So the first is AFRALO, and their first request is for a General Assembly at meeting B in fiscal year 17, which will be held in Africa. So this is a regular request for a General Assembly, having one representative from all of their ALSs come to the ICANN meeting for capacity building and exercises as well as their General Assembly.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Two comments. Number one, I'll point out this was is a B meeting, and at one point there was some discussion about whether we should have General Assemblies at B meetings, because they will not be the quote, full ICANN experience. On the other hand, if we don't have any General Assemblies at B meetings, we're going to be hard pressed to ever have General Assemblies for certain regions.

And the second one is, to note that AFRALO had put in a request for a General Assembly for this coming meeting in Marrakesh, it was refused because there is a GAC high level meeting going on, and ICANN staff could not, staff or facilities, I don't know which, could not handle both at the same time, and we were encouraged to put a request in for this coming year. Tijani.



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much Alan. You said exactly what I wanted to say. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Glad I could help. Anyone else? Heidi, I assume that's an old hand.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, sorry, I'll put that down.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Let's go on to the next one then.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, the next one is an AFRALO workshop at the 2016 IGF on privacy and user's data management. This is a pretty regular request. This is for travel support for five persons for a panel at the IGF likely to be in Mexico.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. At one point, we got subtle messages from ICANN staff that they were not planning to fund anymore workshops of this type, however, for last fiscal year, they did go ahead and fund workshops of this type. So we're presuming that the plan to stop doing that is not operative, and given that this is quite a reasonable one to put forward. Any other comments?

---

Seeing nothing, next one Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. This is Heidi. The next one is for a DNS Chad forum. And this comes to a total of \$13,000 for a workshop in Chad on the DNS, and the objective includes to contribute [inaudible] to better serve the local community, contribute to DNS resiliency in Chad [inaudible] the technical community of the Internet, develop DNS business, etc.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I have some comments on this one. This sounds like an absolutely marvelous event to be funded under the African strategy and through GSE. Why do we have to request it? Anyone? Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Alan for giving me the floor. You said that it might be funded by the region, the [inaudible]. They have their program, and they didn't program anything for Chad. This is a new ALS, and they seem to be active. They submitted this request, I want to support it, to show that those people are not there only to Chad or to travel. They are there to work.

I think it is a good thing to make this request, and let the ICANN say it will done through...

ALAN GREENBERG: Have we lost Tijani?

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I'm finished.

ALAN GREENBERG: You stopped in the middle of a sentence though, or you seemed to.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So there was a problem. Let me repeat. What was the sentence that I didn't finish?

ALAN GREENBERG: My short-term memory is not that good. In any case, you're supporting this and think we should fund it. I think you were actually saying, and if someone else chooses to fund it, all the better, or something like that.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I said that, let's make the... I said that, let's make the request and let the ICANN finance say it will be done through [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, fine. We did lose that last half of that sentence, but that is what I thought you were going to say. Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. So [inaudible]... Can you hear me?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Barely, we're hearing one word every three seconds.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: [Inaudible] bad. So, [inaudible]...

ALAN GREENBERG: Judith, the sound isn't working. We're hearing words and then we're hearing something like a witch cackling in the background after each word.

All right.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Judith, are you on the bridge or on the Adobe Connect? You might wish to dial in to the Adobe bridge...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I am on [inaudible]...

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: She's connected via Skype.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's not working. All right, while we're...

Go ahead.

---

All right, while we're waiting for Judith to either reconnect or to type, this is again, you know, along with what Tijani said, I think this is a fine one to submit. The dollar value is not high, but I think it has to be submitted along with a message either included in the proposal or the sidebar, like some of the previous ones, that we think it's a shame that we should have to do this for something that seems to be a good and useful use of ICANN money, that it shouldn't have to be done through At-Large.

But given that it isn't being done in any other way, and was refused, yes we will submit it as an At-Large proposal.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Next one Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: And a tick mark from Cheryl, and Tijani's hand is up again.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you Alan. Nobody said that the request was made and was refused. But we say that the African staff have had their program, and doing activities like this outside. So there is nothing for the chart. And we have a new ALS [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you said, it had been suggested and was rejected. You're simply saying Chad was not included in the

---

particular activities associated with the strategy. Okay, I misunderstood, sorry.

But in any case, I think the overall intent is the same. So yes, we will submit this one, and we have made our comments, which we may add in some other forum as well. Next item Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Judith, are you able to...? Are you on the bridge now or do you still have your hand up? An old hand.

ALAN GREENBERG: I didn't see it go down, I think it was an old hand.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: [Inaudible]... I wanted a call out, so I can't get on Skype, so I'll send you the number.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Let's go on to the next one Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay the next one comes from an ALS in Democratic Republic of Congo. And this is for a training of trainers, on the resilient Internet with DNS

---

support to the DRC. This program request is for two phases. First is to train 30 trainers over four days. And then the second phase would be to have, they'll use those trainers, I believe, to train additional trainers within the 26 provinces. So there will be an additional set of 26 meetings through the DRC.

The total amount being requested is approximately \$100,000. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Comments on this one?

Seeing no one else, I'll make mine. I find that this is not focused particularly on At-Large, although it is an activity of an At-Large ALS, is not an At-Large focused activity. It certainly talking about good things, but given the fact that it's not really At-Large focused, given the relatively large amount of money, we're talking about \$100,000 out of what I understand is a \$600,000 budget overall for all ACs and SOs, I find this one somewhat excessive.

And a tick mark from Cheryl. Any comments, particularly from our African colleagues?

Seeing no comments, Tijani is agreeing. Cheryl, you want to speak?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Yeah. I just think this is a situation where we need to make it clear to the At-Large community, some of the trade-offs and realistic, sorry not realistic, the rationalization that will have to go on for such a type of activity to ever have been considered.

---

I'm not suggesting that trainer training programs are not more than [inaudible], really they are, but they need to be properly and effectively coordinated on a larger more helicopter view first. If you were trying to do a pilot, then [inaudible] and that would be an excised activity.

But this is way too large, and it's just the wrong place for this type of thing to be going through. And I think we would look extremely silly as a budget and finance committee to even put it forward. It would be [inaudible]. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Tijani, I saw your hand up at one point. Do you wish to speak?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. Judith, is that, I think that's a new hand now.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No.

ALAN GREENBERG: No? Okay, I'll treat it as an old hand forever. All right. Daniel asked in the chat, what are the funding limits? Well, as I said, there is something a little, some over half a million and under a million dollars for all ACs



---

and SOs. So we can expect to get some reasonable fraction of that, but not the majority of it certainly. So given that this would be a very significant part of that, and the fact that it's not really At-Large oriented, my recommendation would be to not put [CROSSTALK]...

I don't know what Judith said. I hear no objections on it, then Heidi, that decision is made. We'll have to send a message back to the requester, but we will not put this one forward. Next one please.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay Alan, thank you. We're moving on to APRALO. The first is APRALO leadership visit to the IFC in Beijing, as well as speaking with other groups in Beijing. It's looking for the APRALO leadership team to travel to Beijing to have a series of meetings. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Thank you. Anyone would like to present any more details or anything on this? Not everyone knows what IFC is, I think.

Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you Alan. This request has actually come about due to the recent application, of course, the Internet Society of China. And the RALO leadership team had very comprehensive discussions about this particular organization and their application. And Kaili Kan has been absolutely brilliant in providing us with some interesting insights into the whole [inaudible] Internet community.

---

And in light of the ALS review, the sort of like At-Large sort of like community review that's being, I would like to say at the moment, what we put forward a proposal in relation to APRALO relationship with the Chinese community, the Beijing office, and other regional organizations that had connections with China and wondered if we could put forward a delegation to go to Beijing to actually make, have these discussions.

In light of the discussions we've already had with the ALAC leadership team, we've taken those issues they raised onboard, and although we like to set the standard, we do know that [some colleagues?] are actually also looking at alternatives [inaudible] options, they may come from within China itself.

So that's where it is at the moment. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. My personal reaction... By the way, for those who don't know, the Internet Society of China, despite the name, is not part of the Internet Society that we're all familiar with and associate with many ALSs. The name is there for historic reasons, but just to make sure there is no confusion, it is not a chapter of the Internet Society as such.

And that doesn't say anything negative about it, I just want to make sure it's clear. The... My gut feeling on this is if we were having a meeting in Singapore, or in China, or in some country in the region, and to say to do this as part of that, I think that would be quite reasonable to look for travel from people from literally around the world, to do this

---

for one ALS, all be it, an important ALS, and an important country, I think is excessive.

There is no financial dollar number associated with this, at least displayed, but I suspect it would be a little bit disproportionate, you know, just something compared to if all of the people associated with it were in the region already. But I guess that's my take on it. I see a tick mark from Cheryl, and we have a number of hands up. So Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much Alan. It's Olivier speaking. And I think this would be a perfect candidate for CROPP. I mean, this looks exactly like the sort of thing that CROPP funds. And I say that if we were to say yes to this, it probably would be sent over, responded by ICANN finance says, well you know, this is a CROPP thing. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Interesting, thank you. I find it hard... Looking at the chair, coming from Armenia as CROPP, but it is the region. Ali.

ALI ALMESHAL: Yeah. Thanks Alan, this is Ali AlMeshal. Just to add on Maureen about this, one of the most, challenges that we have talked about, was we have raised this is the unique status of this IFC member coming to [inaudible] the RALO as an ALS, being it's sort of, most of the members are corporate and they are [inaudible] like Civil Societies in others, but they are big corporate financial names.

---

That's why you said it's very much [inaudible] to see how that operate and what's the relation between the policy is that [what's going through?] as in ICANN and development. But I do understand the other points. Just wanted to highlight that. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Ali. I will note that the wording you used, most of the members are corporate, is at odds with the requirement for an ALS to be largely controlled by individual people. So I'm hoping you misstated slightly. Judith, go ahead. I think that's a new hand now.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It is.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, go ahead.

Can't hear you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Can you hear me now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Now we can.

---

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. So going back to the other one, where I wanted to make my point, sorry to jump around but I'm in Africa and the bandwidth is horrible at the hotel, so I had to figure out another way.

So, the Chad one, it looks like a CROPP and I think I saw comments on the chat that it would be a good one, wondering why ICANN is funding such a request and not under ISOC chapter funding. And I think that is also a good idea, and I also think perhaps someone, some AFRALO people can go to that Chad meeting as CROPP attendees.

And was just wondering about that, on that one. And then also on the other ones that are similar to the CROPP.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Judith. I don't think there was a significant travel part in the Chad request, I may be wrong, but I didn't think there was. Certainly, if it is something that could be funded through ISOC, I don't think anyone would object. I'm presuming they already tried and didn't succeed, but maybe that's not the case.

It's certainly something that we should be investigating in parallel, and we can suggest that. We can always withdraw the application, should it no longer be needed. Cheryl, go ahead, back on ISOC China.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Alan. Cheryl for the record. I just wanted to say a word on this. Whilst I don't think... Let me start that again. I do think, like you, that this would be a better, more sensible thing to do around another local activity. In other words, where the leadership of the RALO, we've

---

already closer together to China for some other thing, a meeting in Singapore, or whatever.

I do want to put on the record how useful and important such an activity is with particular types of entities, and say that an Internet Society of China is indeed one of these entities. It is an entity that I had the honor and privilege of first meeting and engaging with back in the 80s, when I was on a visit with a trade delegation to China with my university.

It is a highly august and esteemed organization. It is exactly the type of breaking of the sharing and [inaudible] undertaking [inaudible] situation that is required in a number of places throughout Asia for firm and respected relationships to be built. And it is something that would benefit far more than just the RALO and ALS relationship, because it is a rare and unusual entity with a plethora of benefit across a number of [inaudible] of ICANN.

And indeed, ICANN has already worked closely with [inaudible] the opening of the center, engagement center in China. So the ICANN offices in Asia Pacific do recognize the [inaudible] work and [inaudible] and appropriately culturally individual [actions].

I just don't think this is the right budget cycle for this, or something that we should find some other way of [inaudible] how to [inaudible] is already doing, to do. But should it be done? Yup. Is this the way to do it? Not quite sure. Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Thank you. I would also tend to think that if there is a chance of some funding from within China, in conjunction with the CROPP program, would be a better way of doing this. The question is, do we put this request forward at this point? Or do we withhold it? Or do we put it forward and look at ways to supplement it or something before we actually get to the formal judgment?

Anyone?

Go ahead Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you Alan. I note that Siranush isn't here, and I sort of like hate to have to make a decision sort of like on the [inaudible] when she isn't here, and I'm using Kali and Ali to sort of like back me up. I can understand and appreciate everybody's views on this, and it was something like outside of the box as well, and we wanted to put it forward just to highlight that we do think that this is an important issue for us as a regional organization.

But also taking onboard with Cheryl has said and yourself. We are looking at alternative options, and we also know that it may like this particular, it may not happen within the, within the timeframe anyway. So that we will... I'm actually sort of like saying that we can withdraw it and we will look at other options.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Thank you. And I strongly encourage that, because like Cheryl, I do believe that this is something that we should do. It's a unique

---

organization and the personal contact is probably worthwhile. I'll just make one comment that's not related to finance and budget. Glenn put a note in the chat saying, ISOC is aware of organizations that use the Internet Society name inappropriately and is aware of the problem.

In this particular case, that is not the issue. I happen to be in on the Internet Society Board at the time that ISOC China was formed. It was perceived as an issue at one point, it is not an issue right now. It is not a problem. It is an unfortunate use of a name which might be confusing to some.

I'll note the Internet Society of China was one of the sponsors of the ICANN Beijing meeting. We are on good terms with them all. So I wouldn't class this as a problem in this particular case. Let's go on to the next one Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. The next one is for the APRALO leadership team outreach at the 11<sup>th</sup> annual IGF meeting. [Inaudible] to be scheduled to take place in Mexico City. This request, similar to last year's, is for outreach. I believe some participation on some workshops at the IGF. Four or five members of the APRALO leadership team.

ALAN GREENBERG:

All right. Comments?

Seeing none, I will class it as equivalent to the other workshop type meetings, and assume that it is a reasonable one to put forward. Let's go ahead.



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you. The next one is for an APRALO showcase at [inaudible] 42, to highlight the activities of the APRALO ALSs out of it. That's it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Comments?

I'm not sure why this is not a CROPP request. We have several speakers. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. It's Olivier. You just took the words out of my mouth. It sounds like a CROPP request. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Alan. Yes, the reason why we have this ALS request is that we actually requested that they put in any request that they want to put in, and we've put them forward. The reason why it isn't a CROPP request is that as a leadership team, we've already started looking at what our CROPP requests for the following year are going to be.

And these don't quite fit. At the same time, we have actually encouraged our ALSs to be more proactive, and you know, being engaged in activities in their region that actually sort of like encourage

---

and promote the work they're actually doing in the ICANN system with At-Large. And the request that has come are from ALSs who are active.

So we're quite proud in being able to put them forward on their behalf. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much Maureen. Anyone else?

Then I would...

ALI ALMESHAL: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

ALI ALMESHAL: This is Ali AlMeshal. And this is the message we received from the finance and budget committee or the ICANN staff towards [inaudible] to the ALSs and looking for their activities that they will be doing. I don't know what they need as a part of type of support. That's why when we [sent?] this message to all of the ALSs maybe three to five times, and we get these responses from them that they are planning to do these activities and they have asked for such funding.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Any other comments?

---

Then let us... Well, I presume we will leave it there and go on to the next item. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, just to confirm. Are we submitting that one?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think the messages I'm hearing is yes, but it may well get rejected because it should be a CROPP fund. But maybe I'm misreading what people are saying.

My reading of people is yes, it might well be eligible for CROPP, but it's not completely inappropriate for us to put it through. Maureen, go ahead. Did I misread that?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm just saying that if we already have CROPP allocation sort of like used up, how do we assign this to a CROPP...?

ALAN GREENBERG: Well presumably we're talking about fiscal year 17, of which none of the CROPP slots are used.

MAUREEN HILYARD: [Inaudible] fiscal year 17.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know what you've already allocated for year 17. But yes, there is a limited number of CROPP funds, and that might be a rationale. As I said, my take on what people said [inaudible], although it could be a CROPP fund, it is not totally unreasonable to do, to put forward. So I'm suggesting that we do put it forward. Is there anyone disagreeing? Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. Yeah, you can sort it through. I'm not going to object to slogging it through, but I really think it's a CROPP thing. You know, we also have tons of different meetings to go to in Europe, and I certainly have gone to Brussels on my own, with my own pocket, and I realize, of course, in Asia the distances are much larger, but yeah, there are five CROPP slots per year, and I guess one has to look at multi-years, and think well, if you've used up all of this year's one, then you can use the ones the year afterwards.

I think it would be very hard to, or ask for more CROPP slots, and I don't know how flexible that could be. I know that the CROPP was a pilot program to start with, perhaps it needs to be expanded now and have more CROPP slots, seeing that there is some success with CROPP.

But I guess we can leave it to the ICANN finance to steer us in one direction or another on this. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. As I said, I'm willing to pull it, if that was the overall message, I wasn't sure. We're well over the hour time right now and not nearly

---

finished. Are most people able to continue? Does anyone have to leave? Then let's try to continue. Let's continue this one on the mailing list, because I guess I'm not sensing a strong feeling one way or the other among the group, but at this point, it goes forward.

If people feel that in fact that it should not go forward at this point, then we should please send a message to the list and we can reconsider. Heidi, go ahead please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, let's continue. I'll go a little faster. I also realize that I have left out one of the ALAC requests from the subcommittee on outreach and engagement. So I need to go back to that one, apology for that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Let's do that first then.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, the one from the subcommittee on outreach and engagement is for a request to give each of the five RALOs discretionary funding of up to \$2,000 for activities such as conferences, promotional items, etc.

ALAN GREENBERG: Any discussion on that?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: That also includes local travel, just to add, displays, graphic promotional graphics as well.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. I wanted to support that one because it actually falls in line with one of the recommendations of the At-Large summit. And so that would really fit well in line with what our community wanted. And it certainly provides them with the ability to promote ICANN without having to dig out of their own pockets to promote ICANN.

So that would really, really help. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. I think it's a small amount of money, obviously, for printing and things like that, where there are already funds allocated. We should not double dip, but I think having discretionary, a small amount of discretionary money available for local events is quite reasonable. So I support the activity.

Okay. Heidi back to the RALOs.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So that one is submit, okay, yes. Okay, so let's move on back down to APRALO. The next one is for the support of the first Palestinian IGF.

---

This is a two day event. The first day is a capacity building workshop, and the second day is more of an event, it's a roundtable discussion for marketing and development strategies for the ccTLD of dot PS. And another one that I cannot read.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's not, yeah, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Judith, go ahead.

Cannot hear you Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: [Inaudible]... Can you hear me now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, not very well, but go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: All right. So, my question, which I posted on the chat is, they get, the IGF can get funding from the IGF secretariat and from ISOC, and they can get about, a significant amount of funding from them. So I'm

---

wondering why are we putting money in? Or are we funding the travel of people from APRALO to go there?

So I'm just a little confused about this budget request.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think, if the budget request is here, because it says ICANN workshop. And I think that's the rationale.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, this is Heidi. I believe that they will also seek funding from other sources.

ALAN GREENBERG: I presume so. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. It's Olivier speaking. And on this one, the way I interpret it, with the information and capacity building session about ICANN and it's [inaudible] in the Internet Governance ecosystem, I would have thought maybe the speaker's bureau is able to send some people over. That's an entirely different fund.

And they might even send people from the local hub, but that's not far from where the IGF is taking place. So that could probably be one right direction. Okay, thank you.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. Any other comments before I go chime in?

Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Alan. I don't think that the request for a speaker to go to speaker's bureau. The request was for funding an event. That's very different. So I don't think it can come under the [inaudible]... Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. My take on this is two-fold. Number one, it's not clear there is an At-Large component. It is done through an ISOC chapter where there is potential ISOC funds as well, but virtually nothing in the proposal seems to point to At-Large. And I really don't think we are anywhere near in a position where we want to get into funding participation at regional IGFs.

There is an awful lot of them. And it just doesn't seem like something that we want to be in the business doing, and I'm not sure ICANN is in the business of doing it. So I question whether it's likely to be supported at all, and is it really something that we should be doing under the auspices of At-Large? Tijani, Olivier, Tijani, your hand was up. Did you lower it intentionally?

I hear nothing from Tijani. Olivier, we'll go on with you.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. So it's worth noting ICANN has funded some regional IGFs, but not at a country level. They have been a partner in EuroDIG, so they have funded, provided, I assume, provided some funding for that. They have been a partner in other large meetings, large regional meetings, but that's all been through the global stakeholder engagement, because it wasn't a specific At-Large point.

It was more ICANN stakeholder relations in the wider sense of the word, including the gTLDs, the ccTLDs, etc. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you Olivier. Just for clarity, I wasn't saying ICANN shouldn't fund this. ICANN, as you point out, has funded IGF type activities at various levels, and I'm sure will continue to. I was questioning the At-Large, routing it through At-Large.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, that's a different...

ALAN GREENBERG: Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, go ahead.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks. I mean, if you click through to the actual proposal, it does say that idea is also to have, as one of the APRALO leadership team at the event, so that ISOC members and other participants can talk to the APRALO leader about general participation in the RALO organization.

Also it talks about, in terms of subject matter, expert support, they said they would also like to invite Nigel Hickson, and [inaudible], I'm mispronouncing his name, to have at the event as well. And it does go on to say that, in the terms of the travel support and potential sponsorship, to talk about Internet Society event budget as well.

So there would be some budgeting coming from the Internet Society.

ALAN GREENBERG: I guess we would need more clarity then as to how much is being asked for and exactly what is being asked for. And I'll go on record as saying, under no conditions is At-Large going to fund Nigel Hickson's travel. Although I don't think that was what you were proposing. Ali?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes, thanks Alan. This is Ali AlMeshal. Actually I was planning to ask the same question as, because I have no idea on that, that ICANN had funded any IGFs before, local IGF or regional IGFs. So if that is the case, which you have just mentioned, then we might look into that.

---

And answering you with regard to the budget and figures, I'm sure in the application, which I have [inaudible] they have mentioned some figures and numbers and how much that cost, and things like they are looking for.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Maybe it was just wasn't transcribed. So I haven't looked at the core document. This is another one of these things that, you know, there are dozens of reasons why it is a good thing, it's just not clear it's an At-Large funding. But definitely there has been GSE involvement in other IGFs and to some extent, in local IGF. Maybe not country ones, but certainly local ones.

We have Dev, Dev is that an old hand? I think it's an old one. Yeah. And Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much Alan. First of all, I would like to [inaudible] it is not an At-Large event since it is ISOC. So ISOC Palestine is an ALS. An APRALO ALS. So it is a request from an ALS, from the RALO. Second point, [inaudible] and some said that perhaps ICANN has funded such an event, but we are not about asking for funding for projects that have been funded before.

We may innovate. We may come up with other projects. So I don't think this is a reason to say no. Remember what I said about the Chad request? It is exactly the same. It is a new ALS, very active. I know the lady. I saw her in ICANN.

---

She is new, and [inaudible]... I don't want to disappoint here. That's why I want to support this request. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. We've got to move on, and I think there are more issues to discuss here. My inclination is to say that this is perhaps a reasonable CROPP request, if we're going to have, you know, someone going to visit them from APRALO, go to visit the IGF. And it is a reasonable thing to put in as a request from a workshop through GSE. Let's put this one on hold right now, and follow up on the mailing list.

I'm not feeling very comfortable putting it forward, at least until I look at what kind of numbers we're talking about. So let's go forward Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. The next one is the support to the first Indian school Internet Governance. This is a request, partial request for an event, the first Indian summer school. [Inaudible] school. There would be 25 [inaudible] at this event, and they hope to make it an annual event. That's it. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Comments? Again, this is one of those that I look at and say, what's the At-Large connection? Olivier, go ahead.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Olivier speaking. And again, ICANN has supported summer schools on Internet Governance, but it's been ICANN supporting it, not At-Large. And they have done that through, I believe again, global stakeholder engagement. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Understood. With a tick mark from Cheryl, my comment and Olivier's, absent other comments, I would say we say this is not one that is a reasonable request for At-Large. Do we know what the dollar number is associated with it?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, this is Heidi. No, not yet.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. My tendency would be to say that this is one that we do not submit unless someone makes a compelling argument for doing it. Hearing nothing on the call...

ALI ALMESHAL: Yeah, hi Alan. Can you put it on the mail for discussion, so maybe if you need some more clarification from India ALS?

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. We can do that. Mark it as...

---

ALI ALMESHAL: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Next one.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. The next one comes from EURALO. This is a request for travel support for five people to the [inaudible]. Budget is estimated to be \$6,000.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, do you want to speak to that? I was on the EURALO call where the decision was made to submit this. Would you like to speak to it, because otherwise it sounds an awful lot like the previous ones, where we're saying this is a real reasonable ICANN funding, it's not necessarily reasonable At-Large funding. And I'll note that as you noted, in the EURALO meeting, it has been submitted before and rejected before.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's correct, yes. Olivier speaking. We have submitted it in the past. That is the only EURALO request this year, and the whole idea is to be able to send some people over to the ICANN [inaudible]. EURALO members, per se. The [inaudible] is one of these working group type things that takes place where you discuss deeper issues, strategic issues about ICANN, and things that just relate to different component parts of ICANN.

---

They've had Fadi Chehadé there for the last two [inaudible]. But previously it was rejected by ICANN finance saying that this was not an ICANN event. We felt we could maybe file it again and see if now that we've had Fadi Chehadé come there twice, there was a possibility to have some people funded to go there.

Otherwise, I mean, you do have some ALSs that do attend, but most of them are unable to go because it's just too expensive for them.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, funding the ICANN CEO is equivalent to funding [inaudible], we're going to get a lot more in the future.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [Inaudible] funded. [Inaudible] self-funded, and it's unfortunate that ICANN is only ready to fund the CEO and not fund everybody else to go there.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, lots of things like that are unfortunate. All right. There is the obvious question of why isn't this CROPP? And but the related question is, Olivier has pointed out, this is the only EURALO request. That's about the only rationale I can see for keeping it in.

How do other people feel?

It's going to be hard to request other similar ones and reject other similar ones and accept this one, I'll point out.



---

TIM DENTON: It's Tim Denton...

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead Tim.

TIM DENTON: Not that there is an obvious connection to ALAC, I'm disinclined to approve it. And that's maybe a sort of a general criteria by which I would judge a lot of these proposals. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think the connection is they're talking it to fund ALAC or At-Large participants to an event which is otherwise not necessarily ICANN. So I think that's the connection.

Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. If I may say, the organizers are an At-Large structure. it's [inaudible] with [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's the other link to ICANN and ALAC as such. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't have a strong feeling. As I said, the only rationale in my mind is that it's the only EURALO, and therefore it's reasonable to put it in. I think the chances of it being funded are small. And it is at odds with the other ones that we are saying perhaps we don't continue with.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, what is the decision?

ALAN GREENBERG: That's what I'm asking. I'm looking for a bit of feedback and I'm getting very, very little. I know no one wants to tell Olivier when he's on the call that we're not going to fund his project, but the quite real question is, where do we go forward on this one? Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. It's Olivier speaking. Look in the Internet... Ugh. In the interest of fairness, I'm in the Internet all of the time, and I've had so many hours on this. In the interest of fairness, you know, I have spoken against some of the other requests and I realize that they are, if you take away the ICANN name, as in ICANN [inaudible] out of the way, you do sense that it's a very similar request.

---

And I certainly understand your point of view. So I would not be offended or neither would Wolf be offended if you said no to this, okay?  
[CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: On the other hand, they do list the price and it's relatively low. I would say we tentatively reject this one. I have asked for numbers on the other similar ones, and I would like to see those, and we might reverse that, you know, if they're all asking for \$100,000, which is more reason to reject it. So tentatively rejected. Next.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. The next one, moving on to LACRALO, is for a General Assembly for the LACRALO ALSs on the sidelines of the 2016 IGF. And this, they highlight in this request, which is still to be put into the template, the need, somewhat of an extraordinary situation of LACRALO, that this GA is needed to help work towards a solution, or get that RALO into a position to where it can be more productive.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. It is in the template by the way.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's in the, on the page. It's not yet in the official template from the finance part of it.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry. Okay. Let's go on to the next one please and then come back to this one.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Moving on, this is a NARALO General Assembly for Puerto Rico, ICANN 57. And this is a request for all of the NARALO representatives to be in Puerto Rico for, not the full time, it would be, basically, I believe for about four days, with three days of activities. And they do want to minimize the cost of this. And they would also a commitment for substantial pre-events by local ALSs. And I think that's it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. We'll note that the, in last year there was one General Assembly approved, and it was approved for either Europe or North America. North America ceded the Assembly to Europe so that they can have theirs in Dublin. So this was one that was approved, tentatively approved, although only one of two and it was our choice which ones, and it was given up by NARALO.

I'm not quite sure for the rationale for asking for less funding than normal for fewer days, but if that's what the RALO is asking for, I'm not going to question it. I question it, but I'm not going to ask for an answer right now. And I think we have no choice but to submit this one, given the history of the previous year. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks so much Alan. Olivier speaking. And it's worth noting in the draft schedule of At-Large General Assemblies and summits, the

---

NARALO and AFRALO would be the two ALSs, they would have their General Assemblies in FY 17, if we were to [inaudible] correctly. If NARALO was not to have that in October 2016, it would have to wait until March 2018 fiscal year 18, next year. So that's next year and a bit more in fact.

It's nearly two years away to have a General Assembly. So that would be very far away.

ALAN GREENBERG: Understood. I think we have no choice but to put this one forward given the history from last year. On top of that, we probably would accept it anyway, but other than that, I don't think there is any choice.

Now let's go back to the previous one.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, Alan. There are two more from NARALO...

ALAN GREENBERG: No. I would like to go back to the LACRALO one right now.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Now, this is one being held out of sequence. If you look at the plan that we were looking for in the global picture of General Assemblies, we

---

would have forecast LACRALO for the next year. There is no LACRALO meeting next year, this coming year, there is one in this fiscal year. The issue is, there has been significant, I'm not quite sure what the right word, discord within LACRALO, specifically between the Caribbean ALSs and the Latin American ALSs.

There is an attempt, which we'll be starting to heal the problems. It may or may not be successful. And if it is deemed to be successful, then it is felt that a General Assembly will be needed to be part of that process. The timing, of course, is in question in that the General Assembly would happen at a particular point in time, at the meeting that we're talking about.

We don't know to what extent the reconciliation process that will be at right now. So it's a little bit vague from that perspective. It is also implied that there will be essentially two General Assemblies going on in parallel, and what the resources are to do that is an interesting question. On the other hand, if there is to be a cord throughout LACRALO, doing it without such a meeting, maybe more difficult.

And it is not clear how that meeting would be funded other than through this process. I open the floor. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Olivier speaking. And I, of course, realize that strictly speaking, LACRALO is not [inaudible] this year. In fact, it's quite unfortunate that it was not funded in previous years, because in FY 14, it was supposed to be, yeah, it was supposed to work out that point [inaudible]... problem on this.

---

Now I note that, just trying to look at this...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, may I interrupt for a moment? I realized I misspoke. The request is to do this in conjunction with the IGF. It has been discussed privately that perhaps it can be done instead at the meeting in San Juan. So that's why I said there might be two General Assemblies in parallel. The request is the IGF not San Juan, but that has been suggested as an alternative.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. So what I was going to say is that the IGF takes place [inaudible] around the same time, maybe one month later. So as far as [inaudible] is concerned, whether it takes place simultaneously, or whether it takes place at, you know, from time to time, then yeah, a month a part, or separately, would probably the same workload anyway.

In which case, I say San Juan would probably be the best location for it.

ALAN GREENBERG: From my perspective, I would say the two are close to interchangeable. The timing, as you point out, is slightly different. Certainly in terms of bringing staff in and things like that, it would be easier at an ICANN meeting than at an IGF. And the same goes true for hotel accommodations and stuff like that.

---

Any other feelings? Clearly, by the way, if this were to go ahead, we're looking at three General Assemblies in one year. That is, from the perspective of straining the overall At-Large allocation, this is really straining it to a large extent, and I would have some difficulty certainly if it was done in lieu of the North American meeting, the question of it being done in lieu of the AFRALO General Assembly is a different one, given that AFRALO has a lot of resources going into it right now in Marrakesh, but not a General Assembly.

So I guess I'm looking forward to any other input on this. Go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much Alan. I agree with you that having three requests for General Assemblies will make our chances weaker. I don't know, but first we have two General Assemblies promised from the last year. I think we have to speak to them, and to postpone this request to the upcoming fiscal year, because it is clear either that it will be rejected, or perhaps the whole General Assemblies will be in question. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Interesting point. Anyone else have any thoughts? Heidi, do you have any thoughts? How would you...? Could you actually manage all of this?



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: In terms of the management, having two at Puerto Rico will definitely be manageable. Our team has handled two summits, which include five General Assemblies. So we could do that. I'm fully confident of that.

ALAN GREENBERG: When is the IGF? Do we have that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'll take a look at that. But again, that will be additional costs for staff to go out there.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand. I'm looking at timing though. San Juan straddles October/November. Does anyone know when the IGF is? Olivier, do you know?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Alan. It's Olivier speaking. [CROSSTALK]...

ALAN GREENBERG: It may not have been, the timing may not have been set yet. I don't know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Exactly. I've been looking for it frantically. I haven't seen the timing yet. The location has been set as being Mexico, but there is no timing.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, there is no timing and there is no city yet either, last I heard.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I believe it was Mexico.

ALAN GREENBERG: No. Mexico is a country, I believe.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Correct, yeah, sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG: Last I heard, there were several locations within Mexico that were up for grabs. Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I confirm neither the town or the [inaudible] are yet set.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. This is a real quandary. I would say at this point, we keep it there. We suggest to the RALO that it be changed to San Juan. And that we keep it in the list for the moment, and continue talking about it. Olivier agrees, Cheryl agrees. Dev, I just presume you're intentionally being quiet on this. Glenn, go ahead. Glenn was a tick mark that was a hand by mistake.

---

All right we have a lot of tick marks. That's the way to go forward on this. Heidi, back to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you. Alan, just on that one, I will also work with the leadership to put that into the proper template, for the finance template. Okay, two more to go.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. I'll point out just for the record, the next Latin American meeting is scheduled for June 2018. So, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Two more. One that some of you may have seen, and the other one, I apologize, I was just reminded a few minutes ago of that one, and I do very much apologize for that, posting that earlier. The first one is for an augmented reality activities. This comes from [inaudible] from Puerto Rico ISOC, it is for a project where they will be turning ICANN and At-Large activities, documents, into augmented reality.

There is a video within the proposal if you wish to look at it. The costing basically would include payments to [inaudible] of \$1,000 to manage this project, and it would be an additional funding, I believe, \$3,000 for the payment to the undergraduate students who will be doing the actual conversion to augmentation reality.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. I have two comments, and I'll make them quickly and then open the floor. My understanding was, the current way going forward was that ICANN would not pay any money to individuals associated with ICANN as volunteers. So that \$1,000 may be in question.

Number two is, the title, augmented reality, has the tone of something that requires, you know, 3D glasses and other requirements, that would make it not a general applicability and of general use to the overall community within either NARALO or At-Large. And if that's the case, if indeed it requires extra hardware to use it, then I would believe that it would not be appropriate and if it doesn't require external additional hardware, then I think the title is misleading. Thank you.

Open the floor to anyone.

Glenn has said no extra hardware, just an app, therefore my statement stands. Anyone have any words on this one? Cost is overall modest. If I'm correct on not being able to pay Glenn or whoever is knowledgeable on this, Glenn, Judith, is this likely to go forward if we can't provide that funding?

Glenn says sure. All right. Then it's a smaller amount. Let's go with it. I haven't heard any negative comments, but I would suggest [inaudible] be changed.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, Alan, so we can submit this but the title will be changed, we also remove the payment to [Alfredo], is that correct?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I believe so, or we can wait for it to be rejected. But my understanding is it is going to be rejected if at least that part of it.

[CROSSTALK] then we might as well reject it ahead of time, and take that component out, work with whoever to change the title, and go ahead. And you said there was one other thing we missed?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. This comes from [inaudible], an ALS within NARALO. This is for a tribal ambassador program, and the...

RECORDED VOICE: You have 60 seconds.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Is that for me? [CROSSTALK]

ALAN GREENBERG: Somebody is on a phone line that is going to go off in 60 seconds, so talk quickly. We don't know who it is.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, basically this is for three students to attend three ICANN conferences with two adult coaches. This is, let's see, they would recruit ambassadors that correlate to the ICANN 2000, 2020 strategic plan, and bring them to ICANN. Two coaches, one being tribal, one being ICANN. I don't know if that means staff will chaperone the

---

ambassador at each ICANN conference. And then there will be a report produced as well.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. So this could also be eligible for CROPP, although CROPP doesn't have enough days in it, but other than that, it could be eligible for CROPP, using up a significant part of the CROPP budget. Am I correct in that? I'm not suggesting we do that, I just want to make sure I understand.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It possibly could, but again, it would be the three different RALOs would need to submit the CROPP request for there...

ALAN GREENBERG: That's correct. Okay. Comments? It's not dissimilar from other ones we said should be CROPP. On the other hand, again, it's not a huge amount of money, I'm presuming. I don't know, it might be. I'm not sure what it is.

I'm presuming this would be the meeting in North America.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So again, this is Heidi. I believe she wants to do it for three ICANN meetings. So there could be a possibility of doing this in a pilot, with just at the Puerto Rico meeting.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I would think other than that, it's going to be rather ambitious. Again, is it possible for projects to have dollar numbers to at least put it in as the estimate, even if we can't certify that it's correct? That would be really useful. Barring any objection, I would say put this one forward.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay Alan. So put this forward as it is or go back and suggest that it be a pilot?

ALAN GREENBERG: I suggest it be a pilot for one meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. All right.

ALAN GREENBERG: Putting it forward as a pilot for the San Juan meeting implies, you know, it could well continue if not the next meeting immediately then with one gap could be in the next fiscal year. So go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. That is it. That is the 20 requests.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. I thank you for everyone attending. It has been two hours instead of one. Do any of the guests on the call want to make any comments after hearing all of this?

---

Rob? Xavier?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: No Alan, other than thank you very much for letting me and Terrance sit in. This has been extremely valuable getting to hear the conversations and understand more about the proposals that may or may not come up with a [inaudible]. So thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I also presume you are impressed at just how diligent we are, and how much we care about making sure we only submit good requests?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I have been impressed for my eight years at ICANN with your organizational... [LAUGHTER]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh stop it you two, some of us have breakfast to get to. Come on guys.

ALAN GREENBERG: Some of us haven't had lunch. I thank you all, and we'll continue this on the list. Heidi, if you can send the results, that is which ones we're putting forward, which ones we're rejecting, and which ones are on hold for future discussion. We will continue that quickly.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you very much everyone. Bye-bye.



---

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**