
YESIM NAZLAR: Good evening to everyone. Welcome to today's ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement call taking place on the 25th of January, 2016, at 18:00 UTC.

On the English channel, we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Daniel Nanghaka, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Murray McKercher, Maureen Hilyard, Glenn McKnight, Siranush Vardanyan, Alan Greenberg, Juan Manuel Rojas.

On the Spanish channel, we have Harold Arcos. And we have apologies from Wolf Ludwig.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber; and myself, Yeşim Nazlar. Sabrina is our Spanish interpreter.

Please let me know if I'm missing anyone's name as a participant.

Finally, I'd like to remind everyone to state their names while speaking not only for transcript purposes, but also for interpretation purposes as well. Over to you, Dev. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Yesim. We do have quite a few items to discuss, as we've taken a little bit longer because we've had two calls to talk about the outreach in Marrakech and we do have a small update on those outreach activities planned for ICANN 55 Marrakech.

So let's go over just to review our action items from our last recorded call which was the December call. There were three action items. Staff

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

and myself to create wiki page identifying and tracking the request. I don't think we have actually done this properly, but maybe I'm wrong and it has slipped my mind. Staff, do you wish to respond to that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: My understanding was that this was the page for... I'm sorry, I thought this was the page for the AFRALO event. So I just [inaudible] age for the broader events. Let's take a look. I don't think that has been done.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, let's make sure we just do it soon after this call later today. All right.

Next, Christopher Mondini to be invited to the next O&E call to discuss plans for enhancing the stakeholder journey [inaudible] including engagement work in At-Large. I don't think Chris is on this call, but Heidi, could you give us an update on that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. He's actually traveling and speaking in Europe at the moment. So I don't know if he could have made this call, but we can get him onto the next call.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So that's something we need to look at when we schedule our next call. Finally, Jeffrey Dunn to be invited to the next O&E call to discuss [Sparkle] and the possibility of hosting videos on ICANNLearn.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, apologies for that one. We didn't follow up with that one. We can get him on the next one. We could also do... I know there's some issues with [Sparkle]. I could have a call with Jeff and Glenn and Alfredo. We can have that call this week just to talk about that particular item.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So would the action item be to schedule a Doodle for Glenn, Alfredo, Jeff, and yourself?

HEIDI ULLRICH: We can have you on that as well. Basically, what that is, is that there's a possibility to purchase the software for [Sparkle] under the e-books program, the Fiscal Year '16 special requests. I'm aware that Alfredo had already purchased that, so we would need to discuss how we would transfer that software.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just to respond to Glenn, note that [Sparkle] is not an e-book software program. Yes, we are aware of that. But given the interest from this group in that software, I did approach the communications department on whether that would be a possibility to put under that e-book project and they said yes.

So if this group would like to purchase that [Sparkle] software – and again, for those who might not remember, we had a demonstration of this ability to make videos very quickly that we could use for outreach and engagement activities. So that’s something that if this group wanted to purchase that, we could purchase that under that program. Thank you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I see. Okay. Thank you, Heidi. Well, I do see the concerns in the chat there. All right. Regarding... Two things. One, if we were to have our next outreach and engagement call with Jeff Dunn and Chris Mondini, is it possible that they would be available next week Monday? Monday, the first of February?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can certainly check.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right. So let’s make that an action item.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Did you want that to be a call with the entire group or just the people that were mentioned earlier?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No, a regular call I’m thinking, because [inaudible] towards the end of January. Marrakech is in March. So we don’t really have that much time.

I don't want to leave it for the next two weeks or anything like that. This late we're probably going to need two outreach calls next month. So let's see if we can have the action item then, and Chris Mondini and Jeff Dunn can come next week. That could last a good hour there. So let's see if they're available next week, and if not, let's do a Doodle and come up with an appropriate time.

Regarding the second item regarding [Sparkle], I guess yes we can have a conference call. If you don't think it's important to have the whole outreach and engagement, it can be a smaller group call. But I guess we discuss this afterwards, after the call – unless Glenn or the co-chairs want to speak up on this. All right, I'm seeing no one immediate wanting to discuss this item. So let's continue discussion offline after the call and see what next steps to talking about [Sparkle].

Our next item on the agenda is review of the FBSC proposal on RALO funding. This is the FY17 Outreach and Engagement [inaudible]. I believe it's going to be shown on the screen now. The title of this budget request is Access by RALOs for Funding of Local Engagement Activities.

The idea behind this proposal was that – and this was discussed in the call in December last year – was that one of the ATLAS II recommendations... Let me just pull up the proposal myself. Sorry. Sorry about this.

So there's two things. One, there is concerns raised by this group regarding especially CROPP events. Was there funding available for possible small expenses, such as local printing and so forth? Because the challenge was we tried to do [inaudible]. The second case, not

necessarily going on a CROPP trip, but if they want to do local outreach, local engagement. So they've been invited by a group in their country to discuss something about ICANN. Can they get funding – local funding – to be able to go to that event? There really was no mechanism for that to happen.

So what we have done is the O&E co-chairs have drafted this proposal. The idea was that each RALO would have potential access up to \$2,000 for local funds to permit local travel, any displays, materials, Facebook, Twitter promotions or whatever, those types of things.

What we also said is it's not just something that RALO can just simply access. We want to have it [treated] in a manner similar to CROPP where there's a formal process and there's oversight.

What we have said in the activity was that for complete transparency and possible oversight, all the RALO budget requests will require review and approval from the ALAC via the Finance and Budget Subcommittee and this subcommittee, the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee. And any RALO request [inaudible] detailed reporting on how the funds allocated were spent, and the objectives achieved.

We also said that perhaps local GSE approval, the GSE from the various regions, can also give their approval for additional oversight, which is very similar to CROPP.

The proposal goes into... Well, how the timing works and so forth. Again, this is an ATLAS II recommendation – Recommendation 40. That recommendation said that ICANN should offer a process similar to the CROPP program, but applicable to [inaudible] lead time budget requests

not related to travel. So this is an attempt to put this ATLAS II recommendation to effect.

I think I've summarized the key points behind this proposal. Any thoughts or comments or observations from the group on this proposal? Alan Greenberg, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thanks. I may have missed it as you were talking and I can't scroll the document. I think you implied that you were asking not only for the money, but some level of GSE approval for each of the events. Did I get that right or is that wrong?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Yes, that was an idea. If there's a concern about having oversight and transparency and so forth, the GSE can also act as an additional reviewer just to say, "Okay, this is a local event, [inaudible] with what's been requested."

It works just like CROPP which is we have a process where—

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, I know.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Yeah. We have that process and we have the GSE approval. That was my suggestion.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I was just going to suggest that you say that “if GSE desires” or something. If you make it contingent on them setting up a process, you’re making it a lot more complex. As a pilot program, let them decide whether they need discretion on each trip or not and we should clearly say this is a pilot.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. We probably need to update it to say this is a pilot program. Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. Just don’t give them an excuse of refusing it because they don’t want to set up a formal program. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right. I’ll just make a note of that. All right, thanks for that, Alan. Good points, indeed. Any other thoughts, comments, or observations regarding this proposal? Going once, going twice. Okay, going thrice. I see no comments. I take it that there’s no concerns raised by the group. Very well.

Now this proposal will be reviewed by the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. I guess I’ll make that update to the proposal and resend it, according to Alan’s suggestions, which is a very good point, that it’s a pilot project. I’ll work on updating that right after this call. Excellent.

Let's move again to our next agenda item, which is update on outreach activities for ICANN 55 in Marrakech. We've had two conference calls and a variety of options was discussed. Perhaps I can ask Daniel to walk us through, to give us an update. I hope Daniel is able to speak.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: It's Daniel Nangkaha for the record.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hi, Daniel. Yes, we can hear you. Go ahead.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yeah. A brief update on outreach activities from Marrakech. We've had two meetings and some [action points] [inaudible]. One of them was to come up with the agenda for Marrakech. On the agenda, it was [inaudible]. The students that will be coming from [inaudible] will arrive on Monday and go through the different meeting rooms. Then later on in the evening, will join the [inaudible].

On Tuesday, it will be an outreach where [inaudible] in Marrakech and will have different speakers with [inaudible] on what the students have learned. At the same time, they'll get [inaudible] regarding ICANN.

This is the summary of the activities that will be taking place. It's just a brief two days. There are different options that came up during the meeting, and the final argument was [inaudible] having the students. So it is good that the students will be provided with [inaudible]. That is for

the [night], but they'll spend two days and on Tuesday they'll go back to their respective [inaudible].

It is good that we shall be having direct communications to get feedback from the university [inaudible], which can also directly [inaudible]. That's [inaudible] about it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Daniel. The proposal is available in the Adobe Connect room. I see everybody has been adding. Staff and yourself have been adding the previous proposed timeline for what's happen on the Monday, what possible things can happen on the Tuesday. Oh, I see a hand from Gisella. Gisella, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Dev, thank you very much. Just with regards to the updates that I made, this didn't come from staff – this was actually after discussion with Aziz. We were working on what he required to get a final on the budget for this. So what we did is we just tried to expand on the program, and Daniel I believe you started the outline of the program. Thank you very much for the effort in doing that.

This hasn't been final. This isn't the final version at all. What Aziz did say is that he would be speaking with the students before they got to Marrakech to make sure that they're pre-registered and also to make sure that once the public schedule is available on the website, he would look into all the various sessions and make sure that all the students went to different... Well, that we had groups of students going to

different meetings according to the topics of interest to them, and also to make sure that we don't have 70 students walking into one meeting room which might cause some space issues. So I just wanted to give a quick update on that. Thank you very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Gisella. My questions... I think we have a rough structure of what's happening on the Monday, what is happening on the Tuesday. Yes, indeed, we're going to have more to really finesse those details. I guess my thinking is what are we going to do before Marrakech? What is the materials that we are going to be sending to the [inaudible] going to meet on the [inaudible] and what the [INPT] students that are coming to the ICANN venue from [Rabat] – if I understand this agenda clearly, what are the materials that we will be sending them? I think we have to think about what's the materials we want to send to them, whether it's having them come... You want to give them some homework in order for them to be a little bit aware what ICANN is, what is going to happen on these two days and so forth.

So I think we need to have something on this wiki page as materials – the pre-Marrakech types of deliverables in terms of materials that are going to be sent. What's the message that's going to be sent to them and so forth? That's my thoughts on that.

I see now that the materials [inaudible] has been posted by staff. Excellent. So we do have to fill that out obviously, and make sure that we have those materials in French language – in English. Well, it could

be both. Some English, some French. And make sure it goes out to those students.

Okay, just looking at the chat. Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Dev. Just a couple of points on this. Staff can start filling this in just with some of the basics. That would be, obviously, the Beginner's Guide, the AFRALO trifold that we're working on, the ICANN 55 workspace for At-Large.

But what we would also like to have is what document you think are crucial to have in hard copy for them. For example, there are a lot of ICANN infographics that we have great graphics on that we could bring. We could start listing those.

So please do post your ideas here and we can perhaps then review on the next call or the call after that which documents should be actually given to them. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay, thanks. I know that now there's going to be... A sub-group now is going to be working, I would think. I think they're going to have to work weekly to finesse the agenda and help work on these materials. So indeed, we can certainly have a discussion as to what type of materials, what kind of hard copy materials, need to be provided. I don't know if Daniel has any particular thoughts, but we can strongly suggest we make that an agenda item for the Marrakech outreach working group meeting.

DANIEL NANGHANA: Can I say something, Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Daniel.

DANIEL NANGHANA: [inaudible] as part of their material and [inaudible]. Probably that would be like a [inaudible]. And also [inaudible] can provide them with [inaudible] go directly on the URLs and links with their respective assignment. I think that should be added into the respective materials. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Excellent points, Daniel. I don't know. I guess the thing is whether there's something in the budget that allows for [USB6] to be given to the student attendees. So you should note that and see whether that is possible. And indeed I think a [meal card] would be a useful document in addition to the ones that Heidi had suggested. Those are good pointers. Any other thoughts or comments from the group?

All right. Let me ask a question, then. When is the sub-group that's working on the Marrakech outreach events [inaudible] Doodle has been sent out and when are they meeting? Has that been organized yet? Okay, the Doodle will go out in a couple of hours. Okay.

Go ahead, Daniel. You were going to say something.

DANIEL NANGHANA: I think [inaudible] going to be a meeting for the AFRALO Marrakech [inaudible] discussion [inaudible] Aziz and [inaudible] the discussion.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right, great. I believe the Doodle will go out in a few hours, and obviously once that call is announced, it can be posted to the regular outreach and engagement list. And those that are interested can of course help with the outreach and engagement activities for Marrakech.

Any other thoughts, comments, or observations on the general approach being taken here? Heidi, I see a hand raised. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you, Dev. Just a couple of questions. I think we may have enough USB drives that we can give to those students as well as the NGOs that are coming from AFRALO for the week. And we could also get orange folders for the students and the NGOs.

But for the [mail card] I'm just wondering what kind of information would be on that that we could not do as a piece of paper that we could give them in the orange folder. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: The [mail card]... Actually, Daniel, do you want to answer that question regarding the [mail card]?

DANIEL NANGHANA: Yes, sure, I can answer that question. One thing about the [mail card], [inaudible] summary of ICANN, the different leaderships all summarized. Then probably a [inaudible] respective information. [inaudible] different working groups, a link will be there [inaudible] about probably [inaudible]. Just to summarize all the respective information because it's easier, [inaudible] booklets and [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, it's just a postcard. It's not meant to be a lot of different... It has to contain information, but not so much [inaudible] information. It's more just quick key summary points, URLs, for people to then follow and so forth. That's the idea behind a [mail card]. Indeed, a discussion can probably happen as to this is how... You're talking about USB sticks. Is there room in the budget for that? Again, let's have the Marrakech outreach group discuss work on that.

Anything else? Going once, going twice. Okay, excellent. The next agenda item is an update from the RALOs.

I think we could probably start it from alphabetical order. We talked a little bit already from AFRALO, unless, Daniel, you have something else to add to that.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: In December, we had Tijani attend the AfriNIC meeting which [inaudible] Congo [inaudible] given some [inaudible] present it together from [inaudible] from Kenya from CRISP. And also [inaudible] different

members from civil society [inaudible]. I think we should [inaudible] AFRALO presence in AfriNIC, especially with the [inaudible] strong in there and [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I'm just looking to see if there's any comments or questions or observations from the group. Seeing none. Let's see, APRALO. I see Maureen and Siranush are here. [inaudible] put her hand straight up. All right, Siranush, go ahead. Go right ahead.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, we can. Go ahead.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Great. So just an update that we are in the process of... Our last CROPP request for three people to participate in APRICOT has been approved and we are in the process of finalizing the activities. Myself and Maureen are going to participate in APTLD conference and we'll be doing presentations. I will be doing on APRALO and ALAC side and Maureen will be doing on Pacific ccTLD side.

We are both included in the agenda and there is a huge support also coming from APTLD for our participation. And later we will participate to our... Vice chairs are coming and joining us for APNIC conference part

and we will be meeting our APRALO ALSes there and potentially meet with APNIC members there.

So I think that [all] is ready for our next CROPP trip to New Zealand in February before Marrakech. I also hope that all our promotional materials with the support of Maureen and the staff had been completed and the staff is on the process of sending them to Maureen's address there. Maureen, if I miss something, just help me.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That was perfect. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. That's from APRALO part.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Siranush. I indeed hope that the materials and the right amounts would get to Maureen in time for that event. Okay. All right. Let's see. I'm trying to think which is the next group. I'm EURALO, but I'm also looking at it... I'm not seeing anyone from EURALO on this call, unfortunately. In that case, we'll then go to... Oh, Olivier is on the call. [inaudible]. Lovely.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [inaudible]. Ever since the call started, I was in one part of Brussels and I'm in another part Brussels and [inaudible]. I'm traveling. Sorry, could you repeat the question, though? It was a bit noisy.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Certainly. I just wanted an update from EURALO on outreach and engagement activities and so forth, if there's any update you wish to provide.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: For the time being... There's none really for the time being. There is one thing, though, because I'm actually in Brussels for the preparation of the EuroDIG, the European Dialogue in Internet Governance. And that is our primary forum for us to go out there and do outreach and so on. So we are working on this. I'm with Wolf Ludwig, so we will be discuss this further s to how we can continue the engagement and outreach we've done so far.

Certainly it looks as though the CROPP this year will be used in the same way as it has in the past, but learning from our mistakes and trying to choose the best [inaudible] as they can be. We have had some limited success, so let's try and continue building on that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Olivier. I do see a hand from Heidi. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you. Just very briefly. I know that Jean-Jacques Sahel is going to be meeting on the [VA] and Wolf while in Brussels, so just to talk a little bit about how they can collaborate more with EURALO and GSE.

I'm also aware that EURALO is going to be at APRICOT. I did mention that we would have a team there and he's eager to speak with you and perhaps discuss more collaboration with GSE and APRALO. So please, I do encourage all RALO people to speak to their GSE regional vice presidents when they have a chance to see if there are ways that we can get some more collaboration. Thank you very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, indeed, Heidi. Yes, indeed, that is pretty crucial. Well, I'm a bit concerned [inaudible] ensure that the GSE are aware of what's happening in At-Large and vice versa. Indeed. Useful advice.

I thought I saw a comment or question from someone in the chat.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If I can jump in.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. Go ahead, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Today I actually saw Andrea Beccalli who works at ICANN with Nigel Hickson, and indeed yes tomorrow I shall be meeting with Jean-Jacques Sahel who is also in Brussels at the moment.

And just one thing. EURALO is looking at being an institutional partner of EuroDIG, which obviously opens the door to a lot more than just participating at a conference, but actually being a part of the organizing team for the conference. That's why my presence is here at the moment.

So we're looking at enhanced collaboration with the other European organizations and certainly building on this to build our membership. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Olivier. Okay, that sounds very, very promising especially now – if the partnership can be done, it can lead to a more better agendas for EuroDIG and for EURALO to participate. Very interesting news.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry for jumping in again. For those who don't know what EuroDIG is, EuroDIG is effectively the European IGF. That's the name for it. And of course, as for all IGFs itself, proclaimed but it has been running for quite a number of years now and it has been recognized as being a very important date in the European calendar of Internet governance. It has the support of quite a few partners, including the Council of Europe and others as well. The next EuroDIG will take place in Brussels which will be a particularly large affair, and therefore I thought it was important to be here in person to be able to build on really the capitalist and capitalizing on this and getting EuroDIG to benefit EURALO, and EURALO to benefit EuroDIG as well.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Excellent. Yes, wonderful synergies. Glenn, you have a question. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, Olivier, I have a quick question for you. I was curious if EURALO is going to do outreach on partnerships to RIPE. We signed an agreement with ARIN last year and APRALO did [inaudible] in their region. I'm just curious if that's on your agenda for outreach.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Olivier, you can respond if you wish. And Olivier, you may be muted if you are talking.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm sorry, can you repeat that again, please?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Certainly. I can repeat Glenn's question. Glenn is asking are there any sort of... Just as how NARALO has an MOU with Arin, is there a similar possibility for EURALO having a Memorandum of Understanding with the RIPE, which is the RIR for Europe?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thank you very much for this question, Dev, for relaying the question from Glenn. At the moment, both RIPE and EURALO have

signed with EuroDIG as a common platform for working together. It is expected that, with time – and this really is down to warming of relations and building of trust between the organizations. I would really hope that with time we can have a linkage with RIPE – a direct linkage with RIPE – and certainly signing an MOU would be a good step forward, definitely.

That’s actually something I might bring up with some of the people that will be in Brussels tomorrow.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, excellent. Glenn, your hand is still up. Is there a follow-up question?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, excellent. Thanks very much, Olivier, for that. We’ve covered AFRALO, APRALO, EURALO. I guess the next update will be from LACRALO. I guess I’ll take the floor to update on this one.

We’ve been looking to update the outreach calendars. We’ve identified some events that’s primarily happening in the May/June timeframe, at least [two to four] outreach events.

There's been some challenges, I would say, within LACRALO as to – particularly from... From LACRALO's chair, sorry, Alberto Soto and myself. And there's been so much change on the mailing list.

We also gave an update on last month's LACRALO call and it was... I'm trying to find the words for this. Testy, I guess. I'll just leave it like that.

So there's been I think some miscommunication as to the goals of the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee and from the LACRALO leadership on this.

I'm not quite certain what would be my next steps on that. I still see a few persons from the group, from LACRALO. I see Juan, I see Harold, I see Carlton. So I just thought perhaps if anyone wants to make a comment or suggestion on this...

The question from Glenn. Does LACRALO understand the Outreach and Engagement Working Group? I think there's been some... I would say there doesn't seem to be a clear understanding of that, in my opinion, unfortunately.

I don't know if Harold or Juan, do you have any thoughts or comments? If somebody wants to take the floor rather than typing, that would be good. Juan's comment is that, also responding to Glenn, that he doesn't believe it. LACRALO doesn't understand if the working group exists. Carlton is also saying that LACRALO leadership is still [inaudible] on the idea that the RALO is sovereign.

I [want to see] what Harold has to say on this topic as well. Alan, I see your hand is raised while Harold is typing. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Alberto did write to me publicly on the LACRALO list and I will be responding to that shortly. I'll just make one comment here, that there seems to be some level of disconnect between the LACRALO leadership and the people from LACRALO within this subcommittee. I think that's one of the issues that needs to be addressed. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Indeed. Thanks, Alan. Indeed. I would agree with that. Just to read Harold Arcos' comment, "I understand that the LACRALO chairs have request consult about it." And indeed.

I probably would think about my next steps. I've also publicly responded several times on the LACRALO list about this as well.

Alan, is this a follow-up question or follow-up comment? Your hand is raised. Okay, it's down. All right. Seeing nobody wanting to take the floor and discuss this... I'm trying to think of something else. No.

I'm just thinking also that we probably will have to start looking at Panama. I know the New Meeting Working Group – I probably have the name wrong. The New Meeting Strategy Working Group had started doing some discussions as to how Meeting B will be organized and so forth. Maureen, has there been any further meetings of the New Meeting Working Group Party? I don't know if Maureen is still there because I know she had to go for another call. No, she probably had to leave.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Maureen just left.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, I thought so. Darn it. From what I understand, the New Meeting Working Group Party has not met. But I'm thinking given what is happening for Marrakech, this probably would be good to start having a conference call with LACRALO leadership. I note also an election process going underway at this time, too, but it would be good to start the process of seeing what the Meeting B outreach activities that are currently scheduled and what would be the particulars that we can do for that. That's probably an action item that would probably need to start that conversation with LACRALO. Very well.

So that's probably something that [inaudible] discussions and conference calls. So now they would have the situation for Marrakech where we're kind of rushed.

Heidi, your hand is raised. go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I just wanted to also note that earlier discussions on the outreach activities at Meeting B were discussed by a subgroup of the Meeting Strategy Working Party. Dev, you were on that and there were others from that working party. I'm just wondering if you wanted to include them as well in this discussion.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Of course. Oh yes, of course.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, indeed. And I believe Vanda was the key person really, and myself. And there was one other person. It slips my mind as to who that person is. So yes, the persons who were involved in the New Meeting Strategy Working Group and the O&E and the LACRALO leadership. All right.

NARALO. Sorry about this. NARALO – any updates from Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. It's going to be two parts. I'm going to talk a little bit about the outreach and then I'll ask Murray to chime in with his communication with very little details on the Toronto [inaudible]. But let me talk to you about outreach.

One of the big things that is going to be happening very soon is one of our chapters, ISOC San Francisco Bay, is doing a topic at Google headquarters in Mountain View in February. I've been working with [Leah]. [Leah] is an engineer and the head of ISOC Bay Area. It's a really good opportunity to promote ICANN and ALSes. That's one of our big outreaches.

Recently we did a live stream event with [inaudible] Sam Lanfranco on that topic. We're doing another livestream with Internet Society of Canada coming up this month as well with David Goulet who is part of the Tor project.

In terms of outreach, it hasn't been the highest priority. I'll talk in a second about engagement. But on outreach in terms of [funded] outreach, four of our trips for CROPP have gone through the process of approval. We're not going all to the same location.

The first trip will be at [NTEN] with 3,500 technologists in San Jose. I'm a speaker at that as well. Two of the ICANN staff [inaudible] value with that, including I believe Adam Peake will be there, in terms of engagement with civil society. So that will be a trip in March.

We have [inaudible] doing an outreach [and] professional IT people in Vancouver. [Leah] is going to the [ARIN] sessions. We're holding back on authorization on that in case [ARIN] gives her another fellowship. We're keeping a sharp eye on our [ARIN] trip.

The other one is Alfredo will be... He received actually a scholarship for his [key] for the registration, but not his flight or his hotel. It's a security conference in Washington in March as well.

So that's some outreach stuff. And I'll turn to Murray so he [inaudible] update. Murray, are you there?

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Yes, thank you, Glenn. Just a quick update from Joe Catapano who is our liaison or general liaison North America with ICANN. This actually hasn't been confirmed in stone, so I'm sharing it with you but we're not really talking about it yet. Wednesday, February the 24th, in Toronto Chris Mondini is going to be an MC for a panel at the Economic Club of Canada convening the meeting. And the confirmed panelists at the

moment include Ann Cavoukian who is the former Information and Privacy Commissioner for the province of Ontario, very active in understanding Internet issues. Also, [Allen McGilvrey] who is CIRA's Head of Policy. That's the Canadian Internet Registration Authority. And the representatives from business have yet to be confirmed. No specific panelists from the academic or civil society representatives.

I might reach out to Alan Greenberg [inaudible] academics. I think [he] could get on that panel.

So that is been [long term] in the making and I just wanted to share that. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. The next thing is on engagement. Judith and I have called all our ALSes and some of them have confirmed. We're looking at six organizations going through a decertification process. They've actually written to us and asked us to take them off the list. So we're cleaning up our list. We actually had 14 people on our last call last week. So engaging organizations that have been ignored for a while. Finding out that other people have moved on. They were not aware.

So this is part of... And it's something that Alan has mentioned before. As much as we should be doing outreach, we should be engaging. So that's one of the [inaudible] items is to get people involved where they are. And I think our monthly newsletter is helping that. [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn. Interesting progress on the engagement side of things [inaudible] contacted all the ALSes – well, the ALS representatives – and actually gotten feedback that some want to be decertified. But you have noted still that more people did respond and actually started coming on the NARALO calls. Interesting. Very interesting.

Any other comments or questions, observations? All right, going once, going twice. Oh, Daniel, go ahead. Sure.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I would like to request [inaudible] send out like [inaudible] to the different ALSes to [inaudible] challenges. I think the [inaudible] of engagement to [inaudible] different ALSes are not so much involved. I think that should be an option for [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks. [inaudible] the idea of a questionnaire or survey for the ALSes. First of all, I do note there was some sort of something organized at the RALO secretariat level. Something about a survey, but I don't know if anybody can speak to that. Perhaps Glenn... [inaudible] contacted the ALSes, was it a survey or something like that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: What I did is I e-mailed, and I didn't count on e-mails. I phoned each individual, and I actually talked to them. And one of the things I found out in my conversations, a number of people could not make the calls because it was difficult. They work during the day and there was no one else that could make it.

So we did a Doodle poll that staff created to ask people would they be willing to change the time to an evening call to accommodate those people? But the vast majority wanted to keep the time as it is.

But it was an opportunity for me to actually talk one on one with these individuals and find out what their interests are and hopefully steer them into working groups in particular.

We had I think four people that I've never seen on a call before last week, but that's part of the engagement and finding out what their interest is and connecting them. So yeah, [inaudible] survey. It serves no [inaudible]. That's the only way it's going to work.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Glenn. Heidi, you have a hand raised.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Dev. So on that survey, all the RALOs did send a survey. This was I believe late last year or sometime last year on this. And they did get some good responses of notes, some really good analysis of who the members are. I'm not sure if there are plans for a second one.

I do know that as part of the ALS Expectations and Criteria Taskforce activity, we were able to get a temporary addition – a staff resource – to carry out surveys or call each of the ALSes along with staff that speak the language of that ALS. We have not moved on that. We still do have this staff resource. I would encourage you to see if we can move forward. We could either do that under the taskforce or under this group just to start getting to know the ALSes.

Again, we would call them, speak with them, ask questions that a group – the taskforce or this group – would ask them, and then be able to deliver the results of that.

With the new CEO coming in soon, it would be good to have a database with additional details on the ALSes. So there would be some more information to move forward and deeper collaboration with the ALSes. Just some food for thought there. Thank you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks for that, Heidi. That's interesting. I wasn't aware that there was a staff resource possibly able to do the dial-outs to the ALS representatives directly and ask them the survey questions.

We're coming to the top of the hour, but I guess part of me is thinking maybe our survey questionnaire – we could look at the RALO survey questionnaire and then sit down, maybe look – make it shorter so that when the staff resource, staff person, calls the ALS representative, it's not too long. It just asks the key questions. So something to think about. Thanks for that.

I know we're coming up to... Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. I just wanted to applaud what Heidi has just told us regarding having a staff resource allocated to this. I think that's really helpful. And as far as EURALO is concerned, we're already working into finding out how we can find out more about our At-Large

Structures [inaudible] further. And no doubt, we will be looking forward to working with additional staff. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks for that, Olivier. Indeed. So we're coming up at the top of the hour. I know we have interpreters that probably do need a hard stop.

So the next steps for the Outreach and Engagement Committee between now and Marrakech. The sub-meetings that's happening regarding the outreach activities, that's going to be a separate set of sessions. But I'm thinking more for the regular group.

I do think that we probably do need to have at least two, possibly three, outreach calls next month. The reason why is because we need to have a discussion with Jeff Dunn and Chris Mondini. That's probably going to be the bulk of one call.

Then we need to have our regular call. I'm thinking that we also need to look at the engagement question a little bit more, focus a little bit more on the engagement side of things. I mean, we're tracking the outreach I think very good. It is the engagement I think we still have to ramp up to that.

What Heidi mentioned earlier regarding there's a staff resource available that I think would actually be really great. Maybe we can utilize that in some fashion and get some ideas for engagement.

So I'm thinking possibly three calls. Any thoughts or comments?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev, this is Heidi.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just to again stress that the taskforce on ALS Criteria and Expectations is planning on doing a survey based on their findings. Once they develop the criteria, etc., they're planning on doing this questionnaire, this survey, of the ALSes. So please do definitely work in collaboration with that taskforce. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, very well. Thanks for that, Heidi. Any other quick observations, comments, questions? Going once, going twice, going thrice. Excellent. All right, thank you so very much for attending this call. I look forward to working with all of you on the mailing list and on the Skype chats and whatever. So this call is now adjourned and see you later. Take care. Have a good evening, afternoon, morning.

YESIM NAZLAR: The meeting has been adjourned. The audio will now be disconnected. Thank you for joining today's call.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]