
TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the NARALO Monthly Call taking place on Monday, the 8th of February, 2016, at 20:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Glenn McKnight, Ron Sherwood, Howard Deane, Stephanie Perrin, Evan Leibovitch, Gordon Chillcott, Garth Graham, John Laprise, Murray McKercher, Leah Symekher, Garth Bruen, Yubelkys Montalvo, Judith Hellerstein, Dana Perry, and Joly MacFie. Joining us a little later on the call will be Alan Greenberg.

We have apologies from Seth Reiss.

Also joining us is Alfredo Calderon.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Josh Baulch, Gisella Gruber, Yesim Nazlar; and myself, Terri Agnew.

Today, we'll be offering captioning. Our captioner today is Heather.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for both captioning and transcription purposes. Also joining us is Avri Doria. I'll turn it back over to you now, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you. Has anyone not been announced by Terri either in Adigo or on Adobe? Please speak up. Okay, I think that's everyone.

Welcome, everyone. We have a slight deviation from the original agenda that we set. Today's call is unique because it is the first of a series of pilots being done, organized by Judith. Perhaps if Judith has

voice, maybe she can give some background on the pilot project. Judith, please?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, I'm here.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Please proceed.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, we can proceed. Can you hear me? If not, I think I'll use the computer instead of the phone because I'll be getting too much echo. If I have a problem, I'll ask for the dial back again. But I'm going to hang up on it, okay? All right, I hung up on the dial back. I figured out how to... I'm calling in from Africa and the [inaudible] wasn't working, but the Internet through my [inaudible] is working much better than the hotel. We can proceed this way.

Thanks, Glenn, for doing it. This is our first caption call. As you know, this is the captioning pilot and we would like everyone to fill out the survey that our team has worked hard to create because we want to try to get enough data on how well this is being used by others. This is the first call that is being captioned. There are three calls each month, and put in your request for a call. We would love to have as many calls as possible. And hopefully we have to use our criteria to select which calls to be captioned.

We also have put in a request for a continuation of the pilot and to add additional languages of Spanish and French.

The action items... Yes. Glenn, do you want to do the action items?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. I just want to circle around on the captioning. Judith needs to be given a lot of credit for the hard work. She's done most of this. Through the Technology Taskforce and Accessibility Working Groups, both have seen it as a viable concept of ATLAS II. So this is an organic process of the community saying we need to embrace our community. So I'd like to thank Judith for all her hard work on this.

Proceeding forward, back to our normal agenda. The action items... I'd like to turn to staff. Silvia or Heidi, if you can recap what any outstanding items are.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello, Glenn. Regarding the action items for [inaudible], Nathalie Perrigrine to get back to Judith and Glenn on the ISOC Washington DC application and additional questions. That was completed. I believe she has communicated with you on the ISOC Washington DC application. We are just waiting for regional advice from NARALO, official regional advice. All of the questions were answered by the applicant.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Judith, do you have a response to that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. Thanks so much. [Our problem] with the process is that the application as written, we need to ask questions. Glenn and I prepared a series of questions which we asked the applicant. The applicant answered several of them and sent us some extra information.

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to us, there's no way of updating the application with these questions and we felt very uncomfortable of sending a due diligence form with all this propriety information – target information – to our members. So we were hoping that we could get a separate... I understand that you can't update the application and you can't review it, but possibly we could send an addendum, so we don't have to send target information out to regional advice, because the application as created...

So now we updated the due diligence with the questions, but we can't send that out. We don't feel comfortable sending it out to the group. So we would like either an addendum or something, so that we could send out those questions and answers, along with the application to seek regional advice.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay. Thank you for that feedback. I have reviewed the e-mails that you exchanged with Nathalie, who is the staff member in charge of this procedure, and she clarified that at the moment the procedure doesn't include an amendment or addendum to the application form. But what I did suggest is you would like to [add] in an e-mail format all the questions and answers that we feel need to be communicated through

the NARALO membership or need to be clarified in an e-mail format. That would be sufficient, I believe, without the need to change the actual application form. That will clarify any concerns. That would be my suggestion. With that, you could get the regional advice. Would that be okay?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Can staff who have the same answers as us, can they send us – can they prepare that page and send that to us and then we can see to make sure that we got all the information in one place? Is that possible?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Yes, of course. I will take that as an action item and I will [put one] in an e-mail all the questions and answers that were prepared and answered by the applicant, so you have everything in writing and that information we are comfortable to provide regional advice. So I will take that action.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. It's just that the due diligence, I don't feel comfortable sending that out with proprietary information to the members.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you, Silvia. Is there anything else, Judith, on this issue before we move on?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So the next item in the list, in the last couple of months, many of you have gotten phone calls from myself or e-mails and we reached out to the... We have a two-part strategy of outreach and engagement. And the outreach is to new ALSes – I'll talk about that in a minute – with CROPP. But engagement is [existing] ALSes. And we actually, in the last two years, we've looked at the attendance rates and we've gone back to organizations. Some of them actually are no longer operating. Some of them have moved on with their agendas. So what we have is a number of organizations... And we asked each of these groups, please send us documentation. Please send us an e-mail saying, "We do not want to participate anymore with NARALO."

So on the first of the list is the [inaudible], the youth networking network that [inaudible] group. The second with this AFCN, Michael Maranda. The third is with Robert Guerra, one of the founders, actually, of the NARALO. Evan could talk about that. Privaterra. Are there other groups that we're reaching out to that we don't have communication back [clearly] [inaudible] and [Monique]. But we don't want them to leave. If they want to [inaudible], but in the first case, we have a number that have chosen to depart. This information has been passed on to ALAC to [comment]. Judith, any comments on that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No. Thanks so much, Glenn, just for the recap. Those two ones, that ALSes that Glenn mentioned, we have written each of them three separate times with two week intervals, and have not heard from them. We escalated the e-mails, and we still have not heard from them, so I'm not sure how much more we can do in those two categories. I think our next step is to take for those two ones who haven't responded, to say, "We're starting the process of [inaudible] because we tried three separate times." Unless anyone else has any objections to that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Anyone, any questions from the floor on the procedure, what we're doing? We're trying to be as transparent as possible in terms of asking people to be involved. If they can't be involved, can you ask for an alternate? In this case, back to ALS applications, we had seen people who [post up] their name, they either move on or they have an alternate, but the alternate is really not an alternate. Hopefully we can clean up this membership list and get more active people involved before we move into the next stage, [which is outreach].

That's our strategy, and I think we're being as democratically transparent as possible, reaching out to these groups. If there's something that we're not doing or that you feel is not fair, let us know. We want to absolutely make sure all of you know what we're doing as much as possible. Is there any questions from the floor? Okay.

Next up, after the next stage of our strategy for outreach is our CROPP tricks. Alan, do you have an update for us on the CROPP applications?

JOSH BAULCH: Glenn, do you mind speaking up just a little bit too, as well, please?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure can. How is that for a sound check, Josh? Is that good?

JOSH BAULCH: Still kind of quiet from my end.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It's fine for me.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Anyone else?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: No, it's fine for me, too.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Perhaps, Josh, you have bad headphones. Thank you, Louis, very much. If you can personally contact [Monique] and perhaps if she has any issues or someone else, that would be great.

Just to let you know, guys, I'm using a [Sure] mic. I'm using a very high quality, hand held mic through an M-Track M-Audio. Normally, this sound is quite good. I'm getting feedback a little bit, people are saying, but it might be being picked up by my computer. It's okay. Alan, are you there to talk about CROPP?

I'm not hearing Alan. Last call. Alan? If not, I'll...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, if you could talk about it, or I could talk about it. Whatever.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Go ahead, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We have several trips that are approved by CROPP. One of them is coming up very quickly, and the person has not... Le-Marie Thompson, who couldn't make a call today because she's teaching, has not gotten the flight information and the registration from ICANN, and she's just worried because the trip is coming up in, I think, less than a month, if that's not correct. I don't have it in front of me right now, but that's one of the things we're looking at.

Also, we have one trip on hold because we're waiting to hear from ARIN about the sponsorship, because we've created our own little liaison with ARIN, unofficial. We want to make sure that because of our MoU, we have someone going there every year, [or just wait to see] whether we need to use the CROPP slot for that or not.

Then, we also have another extra trip, so if there's a conference that someone in our region wants to attend, that they can get an eight week advanced notice, then we would love to have you put in an application and we can review it. Glenn, am I missing anything?

We cannot hear you.

TERRI AGNEW: This is Terri. If you're speaking, Glenn, we're unable to hear you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. I muted my mic because of the echo. Can you hear me now?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. I apologize for that. What I was saying in context to the trip: make sure that you get the trip to us before the end of June. We've got to have eight weeks of notice. [Go] back to the strategic plan that it's consistent. It is a very short turnaround time in terms of the guidelines, so bear that in mind. Thanks, Terri, for putting the links in the Adobe chat.

The second thing I want to mention about ARIN: there's five spots for the United States and five spots for Canada. They've expanded their fellowship. Evan has taken advantage of their fellowship, [Maureen] and myself, again, we have a couple more days left, so if any of you are

interested, it's going to be in Jamaica in April. I don't know the exact date, but please, if you're still interested, check out the ARIN link that I supplied you.

Any questions on ARIN from anyone? Okay, any questions on the CROPP trips? Judith, go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Maybe we can get some feedback from Heidi or from Joe. What's the problem with a CROPP trip that was approved? Maybe staff has just been so busy to buy the tickets and do the registration, because I know [Joseph] just finished up the meetings in LA, so maybe that was it, but maybe that we could get some feedback from that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Anyone from staff to provide a response to Judith's question?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello, Glenn. Perhaps we can follow up with Joseph on the delay. Yes, indeed, perhaps this is related to LA, to the travel arrangements for the upcoming Marrakech meeting. So we [inaudible] on that if you would like.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Silvia. I think I heard another voice, too, I think. Was that you, Joe?

JOE CATAPANO: I was just going to try and flag it for Heidi or Silvia, [but] probably follow up with that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Perfect, thank you. I'd like to thank staff for all their hard work in getting Alfredo to the event to organize. Let me see. Sorry, Alfredo now has said something. He says in the chat, "I have not been contacted either for travel arrangements or the security conference [OAS trip] in Washington, although it's at the end of March." Please, Silvia and Joe, add Alfredo on the list, as well. That's the second one to look at. You can see the total description. Both of them have been approved, and they're into the hands of travel. Judith, anything else? Your hand is still up.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sorry about that. Let me take down my hand.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, take down your hand. Okay, folks, now we're going to turn to the community calendar. You can see in the agenda, we have a community calendar. If you have any event, please get them to me. I'll post them into the calendar. We want to share what's happening. At this point, I want to ask Joe to talk about a great event they've organized with cooperation with Murray in Toronto, coming up on February 24th. Back to you, Joe.

JOE CATAPANO: Thanks, Glenn, very much. We will be up in Toronto on Wednesday, February 24th with the Economic Club of Canada to host a panel discussion and Q&A. The speakers will be Ann Cavoukian, executive director of Privacy and Big Data Institute; John Proctor, vice president for Global Cyber Security at CGI Group; Alan MacGillivray, senior policy advisor at CIRA; and Eric Jardine from CIGI, CG Group, to talk about... Since it's the Economic Club of Canada, some of the content will be business-focused, but obviously the panel is diverse enough to get views from different stakeholders. Just about Internet governance, the importance of it, the importance of Canadians being engaged in Internet governance. Certainly, we'll touch a little bit on how Canadians are already engaging at ICANN and at other Internet governance fora.

It's a lunch event. It's 11:30 to 1:30. Again, many thanks to Murray McKercher for helping out with the promotion and contacts and things of that nature. Great to have that on the calendar. We look forward to being up there, and I'm happy to take any questions if anybody has any.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry. Joe, there's a number of Toronto-based ALSes. Were they invited to this event?

JOE CATAPANO: I invited the ones that I have in my contacts, but if anybody wants to share with me some names of organizations or contacts that they have, I can cross-check that and make sure they get an invite.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: The ones I'm thinking of specifically would be Gordon and Murray. Murray's already been involved with helping you, so that's obvious, but for instance, there's Gordon's group, the GTA Linux User Group, and there might be some others in Toronto. It's just what I was thinking.

JOE CATAPANO: I'll take a look, and if they're not, I'll make sure I get it to them.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Then we had a response, Gordon, in the chat box, that perhaps Scott Sullivan, who was at the ATLAS II, would attend. Myself, I intend to go, and CLUE, who's an ALS with [Evan] with CLUE is [inaudible]. I spoke with him this morning, so he might be attending, as well.

Anything else? Any other questions for Joe before we move on? Since I have you on the line, Joe, is there any other event anywhere in North America, Puerto Rico... In fact, I think if I can [inaudible] Alfredo, that they're having some fantastic events coming up in association with ARIN I know Alfredo's not been well. He has bronchitis, but I wonder if he could talk about his event in Puerto Rico.

Thanks, Murray, for the [post]. Eduardo or Alfredo, please?

I'm going to turn to Leah. Leah, your project that you're doing with the San Francisco group. Go ahead.

LEAH SYMEKHER:

This is Leah Symekher from San Francisco Bay Area ISOC. Yes, absolutely. On February 18th, we are going to be holding a one-day conference that will start from 8:00 with breakfast all the way through to 5:30, 5:00 in the evening. It's a conference that's focused on Internet of Things. Pretty much, we picked areas of focus to be privacy, security, and interoperability of Internet of Things. The conference itself is pretty much based on the white paper that was written for ISOC by Karen Rose.

We currently have been working really hard to get registration for the event. We have planned to have 200. The location [still] can accommodate 200 people. We currently have about close to 70 registered, and just giving it our final push for these last few days remaining.

So if you know anybody who is in the area who would be interested to attend, let us know. The event is going to be at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA. The keynote speaker, we've been very lucky to have Vint Cerf as the keynote speaker. Also, the main financial sponsor. Him and the Global ISOC also sponsored us with the 10,000 for the INS event, which is going to be our annual INS event. Any information that you think would be helpful for our chapter to get more [inaudible] that would be welcome. If any of you can attend, that's great. We do have a representative from the Costa Rica chapter attending the event. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you, Leah. Leah, are you on Adobe or just Adigo?

LEAH SYMEHKER: I'm just on Adobe, and then I called in.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. If you could share with us, if you have a flyer, a link to the live stream, as well as a link to the event itself on your website, that would be great.

LEAH SYMEHKER: Absolutely. I'll do that right away.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much. Okay, Eduardo, you're next.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Can you hear me now? Excuse me. [inaudible] I mute my speakers. Anyhow, we have an event this Thursday in the morning. It's called Falling in Love with Internet, and it's basically we're going to talk about the ecosystem of the whole Internet. We have [inaudible] chapters coming from Costa Rica to talk about ISOC, IETF, IGF. There are many opportunities for people to participate and fellowships and things like that. We also have Susan Hamlin, I believe, coming down. She's from ARIN, and she's coming down here to talk about ARIN, and again, to talk about the opportunities to participate [inaudible] with [our organization].

Also, [we're going to] [inaudible] the event with opportunities, not only in the [inaudible] but also in ICANN, and other organizations as well. It's mostly an outreach type of event, and it's more geared to faculty and students in the universities, but Puerto Rico, we're inviting everybody that we have in our list to come and participate. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Eduardo, since you're on the line, I'll ask you a quick question. This is part of your ongoing strategy, is it not, in terms of outreach to local high school students, engineers, universities in Puerto Rico? Perhaps you can put it in context of why you're doing it and what other events you're planning [here].

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn, for reminding me. Yes. We have put together a plan for the whole year [since] we have ICANN coming into Puerto Rico at the end of the year. That is, if Zika mosquito doesn't change the plans.

In any case, as far as the plan, we want to start talking about this ICANN. We want to let people know, little by little, what ICANN is all about, so by the end of the year, they will know. Our idea is to get as many people as we can get to the ICANN meeting and see if we can get some people interested in engaging and working in some of these working groups in ICANN. In any case, we have another big convention here. It's called [inaudible]. It's an educational global conference that is happening here in June. We are trying to open a technology track to talk about the

ecosystem and talk about how you can use technology to support the education, and so forth.

Then we have another event sometime in August, which we haven't planned yet, and the week of ICANN, we have the Internet Day, which we're going to have sometime before during the ICANN meeting here. So it doesn't [inaudible] because we get many people around the island doing Internet stuff. That's basically our plan.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much, Eduardo. It's a very comprehensive plan. I just was reading in the Adobe chat, a comment or question, and it's directed to either Heidi or Joe. It's from Evan. He's asking a question regarding – this is outreach and engagement – regarding the recent announcement that Panama has been canceled as an ICANN location. He asks, “Is there any effect on [NARALO] if the meeting is relocated to North America?” I'll turn it to you guys.

JOE CATAPANO:

Hi, Glenn. I'm not totally sure I understand the questions, Evan. Can you elaborate on that a little bit?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I think I know. I asked the same question to Heidi. I think... At least, what I thought it was is... What I was thinking is, we are planning for general assembly in October, and we're also planning all these events gearing up to October in NARALO for Puerto Rico. The question is are we going to be impacted? Are they going to be moved out of NARALO?

Is NARALO meeting going to be moved up to June? Are we going to have to be scrambling, or are we going to be delayed again? I think that is my question, and I don't think Heidi... Says that we're still waiting for an announcement. They don't really know. Maybe staff can give more of an answer.

JOE CATAPANO:

I am not sure. That's something I'd have to look into. The October meeting hasn't been moved at all or affected in any way, so there's that to consider.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you, Joe. I will follow up with Heidi. So far, the plans for October has not changed, and the location of the Panama meeting will change, as you know, but only the place, not the number of days. I believe that the plans will not change, but we will follow up on this concern and we will get back to you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Silvia and Joe, thank you for the answer. Judith came close to asking what I was concerned about. Given the rotation of the meetings between regions, and from the sounds of it, the necessity to move the Panama meeting out of the region, if it is relocated to North America, does it throw the rotation schedule out of whack, is basically what I was interested to know? Obviously there's some short term implications for the general assembly, as Judith said, but long term, does it affect the way the meeting rotations? The schedule is done many years in

advance, but I'm just wondering, if the Panama meeting has to go out of region, does that have to get redone? Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Evan. That's great that you clarified that. Is there a further comment from Joe or Silvia?

JOE CATAPANO: I mean, I don't know at this time. We'd have to look into it for you, but you could take a look at the meeting that was moved. When Marrakech was moved, the way they did the rotation did not affect the meeting immediately after Marrakech, if that makes any sense. They didn't relocate it to the region that the following meeting was at, which the location escapes me at this point. I'm not saying that is or is not going to happen this time, but that's just what happened last time.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: At this stage, we have no clue, correct, Joe, where we'll be going in June?

JOE CATAPANO: Do not.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Any other comments? Evan, you're satisfied?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: That's fine. Thank you, Glenn. Thank you, Joe. Thank you, Silvia.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you, Evan, for the questions. I think it was top of mind for everyone. A couple of things are changing our agenda on the fly here, but I hope you all can put up with our bouncing around a little bit. Since we have [voice], and I'll ask staff to put the newsletter in the center panel, and I'll turn to Eduardo to talk about the newsletter. I'll turn to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Glenn. I just want to give you some statistics about the last five or six newsletters. Basically, there's a 28%, 29% average open rate, which according to the industry, that's supposed to be okay. In December, there was a huge amount of people that opened the... Many people, I would say 44%, opened the newsletter in their telephone or [such] devices.

In any case, like I repeat all the time, I just changed the format for the last one because now it's mobile friendly. You should be able to see it on any device, and like I said before, two weeks before I send this newsletter out, I asked for people to send information so I can put it on. Just look the newsletter as another [inaudible] to form the [new] region. That's all I have to say. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much, and thank you so much for doing the newsletter. I take it you're looking for pictures, so I guess you're on the hook for your

event you're doing pretty soon in Puerto Rico. Leah, if you're still on the line, we're expecting pictures and a report from you. And everyone that does a CROPP trip, it's obvious. You're obligated to do a report and [take] pictures, so please make sure. In the next couple of months, we should have some great content, and perhaps great reporting on the events, as well [inaudible] myself and Murray and others [inaudible]. Any questions for Eduardo on the newsletter? Thank you again for doing that, Eduardo. Your work is great.

Let's turn to finance and budget. If staff can give an update on what's happening with the submissions and if any has [inaudible].

Silvia, Judith? Sorry. Silvia or Heidi, if you can...

SILVIA VIVANCO:

You can see if Terri can put the Wiki page with the Fiscal Year 17 budget [development] workspace, there you can see the update with the [native] on each submission. There, you can read regarding [inaudible] [First Nations] social media ambassadors. There is a conditional approval based on one of the requests being changed to a [inaudible] for one meeting in North America. [inaudible] the submission wasn't [inaudible] by [Alfredo]. The NARALO GA is still being reviewed, and I believe the captioning [inaudible] as well is being reviewed. That's the update, and you can see it on the Wiki page that Terri has just posted. Keep looking back and going back to the Wiki page, and we will get all the updates and details on each submission in the upcoming days. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Of the ones you mentioned, are they approved or pending approval? Is that the status of them, Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: On the [First Nations], it was approved conditionally because they requested that this be changed to a [pilot] for one meeting in North America. Under that condition, that's approved.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: On the general assembly, I just want to make a comment. Evan did a fantastic proposal last year. Unfortunately, we were very much short staffed because it was very close to the Dublin meeting, so we opted to allow... It was unfortunate. We both got approved. EURALO and NARALO got approved, so like a King Solomon situation, we had to cut the baby in half.

We had a situation, somebody had to [proceed]. EURALO did their GA, so our turn was this rotation. We hope to have that... Should be proceeding. We'll be looking seriously at what other GAs have done in the past, and we'll be reaching out to the community on what you'd actually like at the GA. It won't be [inaudible] going well in Puerto Rico. We're going to be leaning on Alfredo and Eduardo a lot to help us [inaudible] to make this happen. Any questions on the budget [inaudible]? A very quiet bunch today.

Since Eduardo is still on the call, Eduardo, can you talk about the NomCom?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes. Thank you, Glenn. I don't have [inaudible] because we have only one phone call since December, but there's a report card that is being put together updating the information.

Last time, what I said is that by the end of the year, we already have received 53 applications for all the positions. However, of the 53, there are only two females that have applied, so if you know any person, woman, that you know that wants to work in ICANN, please ask them to apply for the NomCom.

There's another distribution. I believe out of those 53, there were zero applications from Latin America, so also if you know somebody from that area, please encourage them to apply. Like I said, there will be a report card that is going to be published before the end of February. I am going to make sure that I will send that to the list for people to know. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Do we have a link in the chat so that people can look up the NomCom deadline and ask your friends? Just a quick question, Eduardo. How many spots are available from anyone from our region?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

How many from our region, North America? I think there were about 20 or 30 people, something like that. It's a [fair] amount of people that have applied from North America and Europe.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Are we looking at one spot, two spots, three spots? How many spots are [inaudible]?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I know there are three... Are you talking about the board?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: What positions? There are three slots open, and they can be North America, Europe, and I don't remember which one of the other ones are allowed to [do]. Asia doesn't have any slots on those three, but North America is yes, and Europe. I don't [remember] the other one. I think it's Africa, but there are only three spots for the board this year. There's also an ALAC representative from North America, is also being... We're seeking one person for that slot, too.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry. What other slots will be available?

EDUARDO DIAZ: One for the GNSO council and one for the ccNSO council. There is an ALAC for North America slot that needs to be filled out this year.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry. When is the deadline again?

EDUARDO DIAZ: The end of March, so there's still time.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: So it's coming soon. Great. Thank you so much, Eduardo. Anyone from the floor asking any questions? Eduardo is our NomCom rep for NARALO, so he's eyes and ears. He does a regular report on the progress of NARALO. On the NomCom, I should say. No other questions? I believe Alan has joined us, correct? Alan, are you there?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, I'm just letting us know, we have ten minutes left because we want to have time to do the survey from the call. So we need to start wrapping up now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you, Judith.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry. Glenn, it's Alan. Did you call on me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, I did. Alan, can you give an update on anything on ALAC? If you don't mind, you can talk on any topic you like for the next five minutes. Judith has reminded me I have to leave five minutes for the captioning pilot. [inaudible] Please, I turn it to you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Sure. Sorry, I was just getting onto the bridge when you called me. I wasn't sure that you called my name or not.

Obviously a lot of work going on on accountability. It looks at this point like the CCWG will not have its report out until just before Marrakech, so we will be working on ratifying it, assuming there is a report, ratifying it in Marrakech. That's going to be a main focus, but there's going to be significant work going on before that. We can't afford to go into Marrakech starting from scratch at that point, so we will be going through the recommendations one by one within the ALAC, and we welcome input from anyone who has any particular thoughts on it. There will be plenty of stuff going on related to that, and that will be starting within this week.

The ALS criteria that we looked at significantly before the new year, we'll be going back to very soon, and I'd like to have some decisions made on that within the ALAC within Marrakech. We'll see if that happens or not. The work that NARALO is doing, looking at ALSes, starting to decertify ones that don't exist or don't want to exist anymore, I think is completely in line with what we're looking at. I don't think we'll find a lot of discontinuities and differences there.

Other activities in ALAC are the ones that are going on in the background. The Finance and Budget Committee is looking at the budget requests now. We've gone back to some of the submitters, and we have a meeting this week, which hopefully will be tying up the bundle pretty well. As you know, there's a North American general

assembly that's requested and that we're optimistic will be funded. Assuming that is funded, there's going to be some interesting work that has to be done in preparation for that.

Nothing else comes to mind right now. There's lots and lots going on, and we're starting to, as the CCWG, the main work that the CCWG and CWG on the IANA transition are winding down. We're trying to get back on the tracks on a lot of other things that have essentially been pushed to the wayside while we're focusing on those. You're going to see lots of activity, and hopefully we'll [get in] some good stuff over the next few months. Take any questions, but I think that covers it and gives you time to finish up the other items.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. I just have a quick question for you, Alan. Is there any particular volunteers you need for any particular aspect of the submissions that you're looking for?

ALAN GREENBERG: Which submission do you mean?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, I'm just saying, [does it call] for volunteers to be on any working groups?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Oh yeah, there's all sorts of things going on. The new gTLD one, the one looking at revising the new gTLD policy, is just about starting. The ALAC and At-Large were very involved in the last one. We found no end of things that we were critiquing and problems we were finding with the last round of gTLDs.

This is the opportunity to get in and change the rules, and we would expect to see more people. So far, there's been very few volunteers. There is one starting on WHOIS and all the related work. That one is just started. We're just in the process of picking the chairs, so the active work hasn't started yet. That one also has a huge amount of meat in it. There are issues in there that have been of great concern to people within North America, and we need people for that.

Last but not least, there will be a cross-community work group starting sometime in the next few months on the use of the auction funds from the first round of gTLDs, which I think might be of some interest. Last but not least, the cross-community working group on accountability will be starting its second phase, and there's all sorts of work that may well be of interest to people, and not having been involved in the first part does not mean you can't be involved in the second part. Lots and lots of opportunities for people who want to work and get involved. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much, Alan. We'll send out an e-mail with a summary of what the obligations are, and we'll send it out soon. I want

to turn it to Judith, and again, to explain what we've been doing. This is a very special meeting today with the [inaudible]. Back to you, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. I am told by staff that they didn't have a chance to load the evaluation pod into the system. Silvia said she'll be following up on e-mail, but Glenn, you were instrumental in creating the survey, so maybe I can turn it back to you so you can explain that, and what people will be getting in e-mail, what we plan to do in the future.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, I talked to Silvia. We're going to set it up as a SurveyMonkey and we wanted not just your feedback on what you liked about this process, and did it help your understanding of what was happening. Just as one slight comment, I know some people were having some issues with my audio. Other people are not, but [Joey] was really thankful to have the captioning because he could actually read what I was saying. So I just would like to thank everybody for the opportunity [inaudible] be patient with us on this call. I think it's [inaudible] of what we've been doing, and we have this transcript.

It's only ten questions. A very, very quick survey, so we really appreciate it if you'd give us some feedback. Back to you, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much. If any of you who are on working groups within At-Large, if you can spread the word, we would always like to have new suggestions of which calls they would like to be captioned. That way, we

can send it out to the... We can get more requests. To have a call be captioned, you can just e-mail staff with your request. Then what will happen is, at the end of the [inaudible] we'll be determining [inaudible] [criteria] if we have more than three or is less than three, then it will be chosen. We would like to have more than three each time so we have to use a criteria and determine which ones will be allowed to caption during this pilot.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Judith. Anyone want to comment on the captioning experience, share with us before the survey is sent off? Anyone from staff?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello. Just want to thank the captioners and everybody for attending this first call. This captioning feature was very useful for all of us, I think. We will be sending this survey today, later today. Be so kind to take a few minutes to review the questions and provide your feedback. Very important for us to continue providing you with the best service. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Any other questions from anyone else? We have only a couple more minutes left. If not, we will...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We did get an e-mail from... Silvia, I don't know if you followed up with Joseph or not, but we got an e-mail saying he was following up on Le-Marie's request. Now we just have to get him Alfredo's information, and then that way, they can follow up on that as well.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you, Judith. If that's it, thank you all. We'll have a different date. We'll be filling you in. It's a face-to-face meeting that we're having in Morocco, so it's going to be on a Tuesday. Our next call [inaudible] [Monday], but we'll make sure all of you know what that date will be. We look forward to hearing from you again the next time. Again, thank you. This concludes the call. [inaudible]

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Also, Glenn...

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you.

TERRI AGNEW: Once again, the meeting has been adjourned. Thank you very much for joining. Please remember to disconnect all remaining lines, and have a wonderful rest of your day.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you. Bye, everybody.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Bye-bye, everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]