
NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everybody, and welcome to the At-Large Technology Taskforce call on the 14th of December, 2015. On the call today, we have Gordon Chillcott, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Harold Arcos, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Alfredo Calderon, Satish Babu, Ali Almeshal, Glenn McKnight, and Narine Khachatryan.

We have received an apology from Stuart Clarke, and from staff, we have Chris Gift, Paul Hoffman, and myself, Nathalie Peregrine. I'd like to remind you all to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you ever so much. Over to you, Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you so very much, Nathalie. My name is Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Chair of the At-Large Technology Taskforce, and thank you all for attending this call. We just wanted to have one more meeting before the end of the year to really go through some of the technology issues that the At-Large community has been having. I'm glad that Chris Gift and Paul Hoffman are here on the call, so you perhaps can share some insight as to how these issues can be resolved.

Regarding the action items from the last call, there weren't really any particular action items from the last call. I should say that our action item has report has to be a little bit cleaned up, and myself and Glenn will probably undertake to really clean up all those recommendations. They have been implemented to some extent, but it probably just needs some tidying up documenting as how it's been addressed.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Glenn, I see your hand raised. Go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi, everybody. For the benefit of the new members on the call today, and I welcome everyone on the call. This is great to get such a turnout. Dev, would you indulge us just a little bit of background on what TTF is and what our achievements have been just for the benefit of the newcomers?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you very much, Glenn. So just to try to briefly summarize, the Technology Taskforce evaluates and reviews information and communication technologies that can help the At-Large community and [inaudible] not just the ALSes, the RALOs, the ALAC, better be able to accomplish their role in ICANN activities. So it's open to anyone that's interested in ITT and, well, and how ITT can be applied to solve the needs of ICANN At-Large and other ICANN communities.

So we've been looking at a variety of things. I don't know if I could summarize it, but for one of the things that they're looking at are things such as the LACRALO [meeting] issues, the ATLAS II recommendations from the declaration last year, [inaudible] that has some technology focus in their recommendations and hence were assigned to the Technology Taskforce.

Also they're looking at some of the outcomes, such as captioning for At-Large meetings, looking at e-books for [inaudible] easier to disseminate information about At-Large to a wider Internet community, and that's a

brief summary. Perhaps I've probably missed a few things that I have not included.

We have also been looking at things such conferencing solutions, I should also mention, evaluating those technologies, making comments on the mobile application that ICANN has introduced for the Dublin meeting, and as an alpha version for the Buenos Aires meeting, and giving them feedback. So that's a summary of what the Technology Taskforce does.

Let's now look at the review of the At-Large technology issues and [Nathalie can] post a link in the chat. Yeah. And the reason why this page has come up was because going through a more [inaudible] coming up with the technology issues and having this call with ICANN staff to now see, perhaps, how can these issues be resolved.

So and I see now that Nathalie has put the technology issues up to see on the screen here. Thanks. So let me just perhaps go through each point first and then ask for some input or comments from ICANN staff and for us all members of the TTF.

So one of the first ones was that persons with Yahoo! e-mail addresses post in At-Large mailing lists often many times the e-mails will receive the spam messages by other persons on that mailing list. The way Gmail has identified this is that when it's asked if it's identified the e-mail from yahoo.com as why is it spam, it says it is from an address in yahoo.com but has failed yahoo.com's required tests for authentication.

So a workaround for this is for the mailing list to be able to support something called DMARC. I believe this was started sometime in

October. So perhaps Chris or Paul, any updates as to whether this is completely done and, therefore, this issue is now completely resolved?

CHRIS GIFT: Dev, I don't know if Paul can respond, but I unfortunately cannot. That is out of my area. I don't know the status. However, I can find out what the status is over the next two hours, and then get back to the TTF.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay.

CHRIS GIFT: I'm actually only here mostly watching. As a staff member, I'm not actually active on any of the topics here, but the CTO's office very much wanted to know what's going on. So none of these action items have I any input on at all. I do know about DMARC. I don't know about DMARC within ICANN, however.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Alright. Thanks. Well, there is a link that [inaudible] posted from [inaudible] had posted as to [inaudible] patch [inaudible] the At-Large mailing list.

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Dev, we can barely hear you. Could you speak up or maybe we could dial out to you. What would you prefer?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Actually, I am [inaudible] I'm on [inaudible] and I have my phone right at my [inaudible]. I'm not using a speakerphone or anything.

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: I'm sorry, Dev. We can really – you're almost inaudible. Would you mind trying to dial back in, please?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: [inaudible]. Okay. Are you hearing me now?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes.

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Much better.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well I'm coming in now through the Adobe Connect audio, so strangely enough, the telephone didn't work. Okay. So let me start back again. Apologies for that technical glitch. Okay, so let's set aside, then, the first regarding the mailing list ability to support the DMARC patches.

Let's move on to the next one. This is something to do with one of the technology challenges is that for Adobe Connect, many conference calls have interpretation which are on different Adigo channels. And one of the challenges that we face is the ability to be able to select, especially

for persons coming in the Adobe Connect room to be able to select an audio channel.

We've been told informally that this is not possible, but I don't want to get some.... Perhaps ICANN staff should research this because I see usual videos for the Adobe Connect admin side of things, and it seems that it looks like it is possible because to be able to create a different bridge to the different Adobe channels and, therefore, be able to select them in the drop-down when you're in Adobe Connect.

So Chris or Paul, feel free to jump in on these points. And, of course, anybody else, if they have any comments on this.

CHRIS GIFT:

Dev, yeah, again, I think Nathalie is trying to get a hold of Jeff Reid. He's your best person to answer most of these questions on infrastructure issues, whether it's in the mailing list or Adobe Connect or any of those. He's responsible for that entire area within IT. If he can join, he can answer these questions. If he cannot join, then I'll be sure to follow up with him and I will provide answers to both you and Nathalie about the status of both the DMARC and as well as the [inaudible].

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thank you, Chris. So just to run through the technology issues, the remote participation in ICANN face-to-face meetings, having now been participating remotely for this past year, I have noted really several challenges for remote participation at ICANN face-to-face meetings.

I've broken it down to three things. One, because the Adobe Connect room only offers one audio channel and typically it's the raw audio, meaning that there's no interpretation, interpretation is not heard. Secondly, for persons wanting to speak, you have to really dial Adigo, and you can only still hear the raw audio. So again, so the remote participants cannot hear the interpretation.

Now there are different audio streams for the different languages in the room. But I've noticed that for the ALAC meetings that had interpretation, there was a delay in the language audio stream by up to like 30 seconds. So what happens is that the audio is coming in 30 seconds after somebody has spoken.

And if you're trying to contribute, you can end up with hearing two different audios, especially when somebody is speaking that requires interpretation. So it just makes for a very confusing experience and you really have to be extremely motivated to actually participate in this. I think actually this is a key issue because we want persons to be able to participate in ICANN activities. The ICANN face-to-face meetings are perhaps one of the key milestones of ICANN activities.

And if it's very frustrating for persons to even listen and understand and to learn, then it's going to be very hard to get them to be engaged. So that was my comment on that remote participation issues.

Also, the ability to export Adobe Connect recordings, the Adobe Connect recordings are encoded using Flash, meaning that it could only be played on desktops and requires Adobe Flash to be installed on a person's computer.

And what we're looking for is the ability for staff to be able to export these recordings from Flash to a format like MP4, which can be posted on video sharing websites like YouTube, and that makes the content of webinars much more accessible to the At-Large community.

And finally, one of the other things is the LACRALO – go ahead, Chris.

CHRIS GIFT:

No, sorry. I'm going to just jump in on that one. I didn't realize, I apologize, but I did not realize that all the recordings were Flash. I agree that that is definitely an issue and we should be correcting that. Yeah. Let me just, again, touch base with Jeff and the others, but I'll have my team look at that, as well, because we should definitely have that in a format that is readily used by mobile devices.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks, Chris. And indeed. It's actually impossible for us because most mobile devices don't support Flash anymore. Since Flash is discontinued on mobile devices, it's all of that content. We use Adobe Connect, obviously, for a lot of the capacity building webinars, the IANA policy updates, and so forth, and all of that content is not accessible on mobile devices.

And it's cumbersome actually to play the Flash recordings. It's almost like you have to download the entire file first. It doesn't exactly stream like when you're watching a YouTube video or other video sharing website. So again, it's really a big problem on that.

Olivier, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. You mentioned the Adobe Connect room being recorded as Flash, but I mean from what I've seen, there is also an MP3 recording of the session, that's just the sound recording of the session. So at the end of the day, if one was to want to listen to the what happened, and I guess they could, but your point is well taken regarding the Adobe Connect recording.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Olivier. And I'm sure, yes, there are MP3 audio recordings so persons can listen to the audio, but often sometimes, especially when persons are sharing screens to show, like for example, the At-Large website as an example of a recent capacity building webinar. Since a lot of that information was shared on a person's screen and we were looking at the website and looking at this element here, that element here, an audio recording isn't as useful.

JEFF REID: Jeff Reid has joined.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hi, Jeff. Okay, I don't know, let's see. So what we've been covering is looking at, I don't know if you're in the Adobe Connect room, but we've been looking at cataloging some of the technology issues faced by the At-Large community and I think, Jeff, maybe you may have some answers to some of these technology issues.

So just to go back to the first one, the problems for persons with yahoo.com e-mail addresses posting to the At-Large mailing list. Often, those e-mails are received by the spam messages by other persons on the mailing list. And I think it was identified that the reason why this is happening is because the mailman, the component that runs the mailing list, doesn't support DMARC.

So has DMARC been installed on the At-Large mailing list and, therefore, this issues is now resolved?

JEFF REID: Sorry, I was on mute. Mailman doesn't support what? I'm sorry, would you repeat that, please?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: DMARC, D-M-A-R-C.

JEFF REID: Okay. And your question really is, has that been resolved?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, because persons from the At-Large community that use yahoo.com, every time they post something to the mailing list, everybody else receives those messages as spam messages, especially Gmail. I don't know about other e-mail hosting clients, but Gmail especially. Any person that posts anything from a yahoo.com e-mail address ends up in

the spam folder. So what happens, of course, is that their inputs are being missed.

JEFF REID: Okay. I don't have any answer to that off the top of my head, but I will absolutely follow it up.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Thanks. So the second point was regarding the Adobe Connect. Is there a way to be able to select different audio channels when persons in the Adobe Connect room? Because the community often sometimes uses interpretation on these calls, they would like to be able to select the audio channel from the Adigo bridge, be it English, Spanish, French, and so forth. So is there a way that the Adobe Connect can be configured to offer different audio channels to the person in the Adobe Connect room?

JEFF REID: Okay. I don't have that answer, either, but I will follow that up, as well.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Alright. Thanks. Okay. Also just to go over to remote participation challenges, the same issue regarding Adobe Connect rooms because only one audio channel is offered. It's often the raw audio, meaning that there's no interpretation. So when somebody speaks that requires interpretation, you don't hear that.

Secondly, if you wanted to contribute and make a comment remotely, you can't do it. You have to dial Adigo, and yet you're only still hearing the raw audio. So remote participants cannot hear interpretation.

And while they have audio streams for the different languages, those are delayed by 30 to 40 seconds, and I've noticed that for the past two ICANN face-to-face meetings. Alright?

JEFF REID: Yeah. We're taking notes.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Great. There's a wiki page with all of these issues I raised. And finally, the ability to export the Adobe Connect recordings which are in a kind of Flash-enabled video format, to a friendlier format like MP4 so that those MP4s could then be uploaded to video sharing sites like YouTube and so forth. Because those Flash-encoded recordings can only be played on desktops. They cannot be played on mobile devices because most mobile devices don't support Flash anymore.

JEFF REID: Okay. And I'm sorry. You said there was a wiki site that has these captured?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, it has.

JEFF REID: Where in the wiki is that?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: And I think that Nathalie will send that to you.

JEFF REID: That's perfect. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Great. Alright. Thanks, Jeff, and I just wanted to raise the attention of this to the staff so that we could probably see how these problems can be solved. So the other issue the LACRALO mailing list issues. I know that Josh Jenkins has been working on it but, again, this only in his spare time. He says that he's going to be trying to do some work on it before the end of the year, but I just wanted to capture that because it's still an ongoing issue regarding the LACRALO mailing list.

JEFF REID: Okay. And then Josh Jenkins and not Josh Baulch?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: That is correct.

JEFF REID: Okay. So I will check with Josh. We've got Josh Jenkins pretty well tied up. He's pretty busy, but I will go check with him this morning.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. And I do realize that Josh is a very, very busy person, so yes. But it's important to capture that because it's an ongoing issue that's of real grief to LACRALO and to At-Large.

JEFF REID: I will follow up.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks. So and I'm just going to throw it out there. Does anybody have any comments, any observations, any other key technology issues that need to be raised? The floor is open. Olivier, your hand is raised. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thanks very much, Dev. On the point that you were making, the first point that you made at the beginning of this long list, regarding the Yahoo! e-mail link problems, I recall that a number of people were actually thrown off the list. Anybody who was a subscriber through a Yahoo! account or through something that is through a domain name that they use under Yahoo! there had been some bounces or something. So they ended up being automatically logged off or signed off, if you want, from the mailing list.

So we've got to be sure that once this thing is fixed and DMARC is implemented properly, and this is a well-known problem in the world of e-mails and of mailing lists. Once this is fixed, we have to make sure that

these people are actually back on our mailing lists because, otherwise, we have lost a significant number of people from our mailing list. And I'm talking here about 20 to 30 people.

So got to make sure that works. And I know that Ariel is monitoring this, but she has to be informed. I noted that she is not on this call. That's all. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. Indeed, I will. Thanks for raising this on this call because I was not aware of that. So that is indeed something that we do need to track, as well. So I'll update the wiki page to note that point so that we don't lose that. And I see Nathalie says that it will also be relayed to Ariel. Excellent. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Two things. You asked a question on other issues, technology issues, so let me deal with the one observation first and then my second thing after. The first thing is we are going through the process of giving feedback on the new website, and one of the things I observed when it went to "Learn About At-Large," it went to a PDF.

The interesting thing is, is this is fine if you're going to go ahead and crank the PDF because it's a flattened PDF. But what's interesting is with Adobe Acrobat 10 and 11, you can insert hyperlinks, you can insert audio, you can insert video clips. And so what I did on the weekend, I worked with Adobe 11 and I inserted a great video produced by our

associate Alfredo Calderon from the ISOC PR, one of the NARALO members. He did a great video in Sparkle, and it's a phenomenal tool.

So if the PDFs are never printed, and we want to make the PDFs a little bit more interesting since this seems to be a primary tool, perhaps we should get communication to start actually using the power of the PDF generator rather than just relying on a traditional conversion of Word documents into PDF.

The second thing I wanted to bring up since the issue is we notice that staff is quite busy, this is a budget cycle again and they've been asking us to submit budget requests. So, perhaps, if we are empowered to do this, but perhaps, if we have an idea what the extra costs will be entailed for staff time to fix this problem, perhaps, we should push it forward, but we need to know the dollars and cents and what they would do. And the big question back to you, Dev, is do we have the authority to ask, or does it have to go through the RALO or ALAC for this request? Back to you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Glenn. Okay. So let's take up your points. So regarding what you said about the new At-Large website, yes, I'm aware that the PDF – I put the link to the new At-Large website there. What Glenn is referring to, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, is that when you go to "Learn About At-Large," you get taken to the At-Large trifold and it is a static PDF with and the links aren't clickable, as Glenn has pointed out.

My thinking, and I think we probably do need to confirm with this with Ariel, is that this was only a temporary placeholder about for learning

about At-Large. And, perhaps, with the outreach and engagement subcommittee work, we can then look to ensure that that content is accessible over a Web browser and, therefore, accessible to mobile perhaps.

And, perhaps, Glenn, you could also then show that video that you did with Alfredo, the YouTube clip that you had done with Alfredo Calderon about that and get the impetus from how it works for outreach and engagement.

Oh, yeah. The second thing regarding the budget thing. Sorry about that. So do we have the authority? I would say yes. We would have the authority because what we can do is ask the ALAC to make their budget request because it's not just the full five RALOs, it's the ALAC that could also put in budget requests. So at the ALAC level, if there's support for any budget idea that we have, the Technology Taskforce have, the ALAC could support it and, therefore, make a budget request. So I hope that answers that question.

I thought I saw Chris Gift's hand up, but alright, Glenn, your hand is still raised. Okay. I see your hand has now been taken down. Okay. Any other thoughts or comments on the technology issues?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Dev, I was responding to your question. Okay. So if that's the case, I really strongly suggest as an action item that we put a simple proposal

of a budget request to solve this problem. It's an outstanding issue and if we can get some idea on the cost factor, because my impression, and I may be wrong on this, staff is really only putting time in when they have some spare time, which means they'll never get done. I'm not faulting anyone on this, but if there's a budget allocation for it, I think it will get done.

So I'm just strongly suggesting that as an action item on today's call that we have some idea, we have some time to get something done, but if we can get a proposal in that that is in the next FY17, I think we can get this fixed.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Indeed. Alright. And I see Chris has got his hand raised. Go ahead, Chris.

CHRIS GIFT: And Jeff, you may want to jump in but I want to be clear to everybody that I doubt if we're talking about DMARC and the mailing list, I doubt that putting in a budget request will help with that. And the reason I say that is that since it's an existing resource question, a budget request would simply allow us to temporarily hire new resources or a consultant to take care of that problem.

And unless I'm mistaken, that's probably not a viable option for us. So the best bet is, rather than have a budget request, is to negotiate priorities with Jeff or Josh's manager and make sure that the priorities

that Josh and others are working on is [complementary]. That would be my two cents on how to approach it.

JEFF REID:

Josh does work in my organization, and I have him seriously busy right now, that's true. And the budget, it certainly never hurts to have a budget item, but that's probably not going to be the ticket, as Chris points out. We're going to have to find a cycle that he can take the time to address.

So when we're off this call, I will go talk to him and his manager, and we'll sort out what needs to be done and how big it is or small it is.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thank you, Jeff. And thanks, Chris, for that input. Perhaps, doing a budget request may not be the best way but we need to do, well, I guess the [inaudible] decide to negotiate a priority of what it is important. So I think that's something we have to take onboard and figure out.

My instinct will be to say that all of these things are important, my immediate instinct, but perhaps we have now discuss this with the co-chairs and on the TTF list. Any other thoughts or comments? Any other technology issues that At-Large has been encountering? Because, again, this will be a – oh, Glenn, I see your hand raised.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. One of the things that keeps coming up that we don't seem to have resolution on is a suggestion in ATLAS II on a knowledge management system and tracking system. I just don't see any progress on that, and are we just putting it to bed and saying we can't do it? It's just something that was brought up with ATLAS II over a year ago. I guess close to a year and a half now, but I haven't seen any movement on that, so back to you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, indeed. I was going to bring that up in the ATLAS II section later on in the agenda, but it's a good point. But let me take the other comments. I now see hands raised there. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Dev. I'm looking forward to hear the update in the ATLAS II part of this call because I'm particularly interested in this.

Just to mention here that page, which we have, the issues that we have, the first one is really one where ICANN's mailing list system is not up to mark with a significant number of people out there. I know that there is a polemic going on out there in the outer world regarding the validity of Yahoo! having implemented this strict checking of DMARC, but outside of all of this, it does affect a serious number of our users.

I suspected it has affected also a large number of people across all of ICANN. Only that in other parts of the community, it might well be that their problems have gone through unnoticed. Here, it does go through

noticed because we do have so many people that use this Yahoo! system.

With regards to the others, I think there are, I mean, there are problems that there probably are more specific to ourselves, and they have to do with the different audio channels of Adobe, etc.

And finally, with regards to the Flash-only recordings, there are some software out there which you can use to convert a Flash to an MP4. There is even some free software out there to do that. Perhaps would it be one of the tasks of this Taskforce to identify the right software that could be used by staff to transform a flash video to an MP4. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. Okay. So I'll bring up the – perhaps, Chris can answer that. I saw something that Chris wants to answer that, status of that project.

To add to the other question regarding, again good observations regarding the [inaudible] regarding the Adobe Connect recordings. Yeah, there is a way to do it now with the latest versions of Adobe Connect. It's kind of cumbersome in the sense that you have to basically play it back in real time in order to convert it to MP4. So if you have an hour and a half recording, somebody's got to basically play back and as it plays back, it receives it as an MP4.

But maybe there are other approaches, so that's perhaps something staff could probably help look at to see maybe there's an alternative approach. Chris, your hand is raised.

CHRIS GIFT:

Thank you, again. I wanted to address the question that Glenn had raised about knowledge management system. There are two updates in that I think people would be pleased about. The first is when we look at knowledge management, and correct me if I'm wrong, but we interpret that as a document management system. At least that's how we're looking at to fulfill that requirement because we think that that is something that is required within ICANN staff, within the organization, as well as can be useful to everyone else in the organization and the community and the community, to [appropriately define] content.

Yeah, I know it's not a knowledge management system. I see that, Olivier Crepin-Leblond has put a comment in. They are different. But whenever somebody talks about a knowledge management system or when we put it in the context of community meaning, that is only how we've been [interpreting]. So if it truly is something vastly different, then we should talk further about it.

But in the meantime, let me continue to update you on the document management system, and then we can see how to go forward from there.

The first is we have hired a librarian or an information specialist, and that person has actually started today. That person will be somebody who will be going through the documents at ICANN, the content in ICANN, and ensuring that there's appropriate metadata and there is a reasonable taxonomy, since we do have questions a lot about taxonomy.

Somebody is going to standardize the publication processes within the organization and work on things, for instance, like appropriate titling so that we share titling standards, document standards, versioning standards, etc. So that when people approach our documents, they make sense at an intuitive level and they can understand the status of the document [inaudible].

That librarian has started now and will be looking in all those, and that person will be publishing those things and, obviously, working with the community on what appropriate standards out to be.

As part of that effort, we are also working on a document management system. We're early, very early stages of that. We are going to start standard selection process, requirements gathering, and vendor selection process in early January of next calendar year, so in just a few weeks. Our hope is to stand that system up over the next 12 months so that we have all of our existing and new documents on a document [system] rather than what they happen to be now, which is either managed by the website or by people's websites or managed by the wiki and so on.

That's not an appropriate means to management documents, they should be referenced by wiki and website for not all documents, but, for instance, policy documents and things like that. A lot of the appropriate versioning and controls.

I will hear a lot more about this and we can even have a separate meeting at some point to talk about more on this in greater detail in the beginning of the new year.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Chris. I think we will look forward to hearing more details about this. I would say that, yes, it's document, and I would say knowledge management is more than document management. I'm not saying document management isn't important, but I think our challenge within At-Large is that a lot of information sharing, what happens is that somebody says the input is being made on a particular issue in one fora and one particular conference call, and then information and then there is a discussion taking place on a mailing list somewhere, and then there is a discussion taking place on a wiki page.

So the problem is unless a person who is plugged into all of these locations, it's hard to really keep track of what people are speaking about on a particular issue. So I think, if I could summarize this challenge with knowledge management and I think that's the key issue. It's the conversation that's happening everywhere and there's no easy way. And it's very easy for conversations to be ignored and, of course, that brings up resentment that, "Hey, I made these inputs at this location. Why was I taken into account, etc.?"

So I think that's one cheeky issue. So I see, well, I see Chris has a hand raised, or is that an old hand?

CHRIS GIFT: Old hand.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. I think the problem that our At-Large structures are faced with is that they receive floods of e-mails through the ALAC Announce mailing list that they also received floods of e-mail through the different other mailing lists that we have set up for each one of the working groups. The problem with that is that they tend to do select all-delete, because they just can't cope with it, it's just too much.

The endgame for the knowledge management, sorry, it was policy management process system or something, I think it was called. The endgame is that we would be able to each one of our ALSes could have their account and select what interests they have, and through that, they would receive the proper announcements. So there'd be some kind of filtering that would then send them the proper announcements that are just pertinent to their interests.

Now the new At-Large website, as it has been presented to us, has a very elaborate policy section with the ability to filter anything that goes through. That really helps very much with those people who are involved with policy. But it's a pull system, in other words, you have to regularly go on that website and pull the information in and filter it and so on.

I guess that would be targeted towards those people that are already interested and already involved in policy development. On the other hand, it doesn't quite address the problem that we have with this overflow of e-mails, and that's where that much larger system is to be designed and then presented.

I know that Dev has worked with Ashwin on this and has, well I thought that, Dev, you had put a list of requirements and of needs and, from there, perhaps, this working group, and I'm sorry, I haven't had any time to devote to this, but I'd like to put something where we actually have the actual bare requirements that are needed for this to be costed first, because I'm sure it's not a cheap system, it's a costly thing, and then eventually put into a year's budget as a request.

I might also add that this type of a system would also very much help people in other parts of ICANN, specifically in the GNSO, because I'm also aware that they also received plenty of e-mails and not everyone is able to read through all of those e-mails.

Certainly, the council is aware of what's going on. I'm not sure if all of the different component parts of the NCSG, for example, or the CSG are aware of everything that has taken place and do take part in the processes as much as they should for a truly balanced multi-stakeholder system.

Okay. I've done my sales spiel. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. Chris, I see your hand raised. Go ahead.

CHRIS GIFT: Thank you. So there are a few things that are going on that will help with this. Let me start at the beginning. Yes, a policy management system is certainly our desired end goal, as well. I mean, I think everybody recognizes that that will be a very good thing. So if you have

pushed requirements or sent requirements over to Ash, that's great. If you haven't, then you can certainly look to do that.

One of the elements, though, that we are building in the meantime, because I do think a policy management system is going to be an incremental thing. Doing it as a big bang is going to be difficult, especially how we have so many requirements, different use cases across the community. I mean, we approach policy and invite the policy in different ways, depending on who the group is. So having a unified system is going to be a challenge but nonetheless, it's one that we'd all like to work with.

But in the meantime, we are doing a few things. We do recognize that push is the best means of people obtaining data. A pull strategy is not a good one for busy people volunteering. So we want to do more of that.

We tried an attempt with myICANN a few years back and while that had some successes, we didn't really work on those successes and take them to the next level. Since then, myICANN [inaudible] is no longer really that useful. But some of the ideas were good.

So what we are doing is we are working on corralling some of the push notifications and corralling some of the newsletters and newsletter capabilities under a new system that's called Marketo. And that is a platform that is basically meant for doing that, for managing push notifications and newsletters.

We'd like to see that implementing at some time next year. I don't have a schedule yet for that. It was supposed to be in Q1, so this next quarter. It may be pushed out a bit. But that system would be

embedded within ICANN.org and people would have a fairly robust means of coming to select information that they wanted to subscribe to and be able to form their own personal newsletters and things like that, and we would extend those capabilities to, obviously, all the SOs and ACs so they could do their own thing, as well.

I just know that project has been pushed out and it does not have a new date yet.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Chris. Just to say that, ultimately, I think that data push, where push being able to personally selectively decide what they want information pushed to be sent to them or subscribed to probably is the way to go to thus really overcome the information overload, as Olivier identified just happens, especially if you're on various mailing lists and so forth.

Sorry, Chris, you have another hand raised. Go ahead.

CHRIS GIFT: Yes, it was. Sorry. I lower it and raise it again. I know where we are in the call. I just did want to bring up one thing, and again, we should probably talk about this in the new year. I do want to provide one update to this group, and that is next year from the technology perspective, is going to be very, very challenging. So I think maybe we should invite Ash to the call, as well.

We have a number of very significant projects that have launched or will soon be launched within ICANN, a lot of them are foundational in terms

of redoing internal infrastructure. And I want to bring that out because I think it behooves us to let the community know, especially this group know, that resources are going to be very, very tight next year for technology changes and for technology solutions.

So just as we talked about earlier, prior to [inaudible] those resources and so on, it's going to be an ongoing challenge and discussion. I think you should probably, at some point, invite Ash to come in and probably the two of us, Ash and myself, can talk further about this, so that you guys have a clearer understanding of what we see happening in the next 12 months.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Chris. I think definitely I think, well, assuming that you'll be ready in some time in January, we can have a call any particular time. Have a special purpose call to have that discussion. I think it will be very welcomed by the Technology Taskforce. Great. Okay.

So, like I said, as I mentioned the technology issue is a wiki page, so if anybody has any ideas coming off of this call, feel free to add to it, and then you could start the discussion, and then, again, continue to raise it with ICANN and At-Large staff as to how these problems, issues can be addressed.

Okay. I'm going to ask that we're probably going to [inaudible] over by, well, ten minutes more on this call. So apologize for that, but let's quickly move to the next item on the agenda, and that was possible budget items for FY17.

Now we already mentioned that perhaps funding for technology projects may not be the best way to handle such requests, but rather, to have a negotiated discussion with ICANN on prioritizing what technology initiatives need to be looked at.

But there were two possible budget items that we identified. That was noted on an outreach and an engagement budget items document. So that was the two things. One was the group chat, these are the group calendars that the Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee is using. There is a paid version. Right now, we're using the free version, but the paid version offers slightly more features, and it's, I would say, relatively inexpensive, like \$8 US a month.

And the second was whether to regarding looking at group chat systems, and one of the more popular ones being Slack, which allows group conversations and instant messaging to be put into channels or rooms, so you could segment the conversation according to particular topics, for example.

And we were looking at whether we should have a pilot project using such a group chat system to, well, for us to test out because, potentially, instant messaging can, perhaps, alleviate, reduce the e-mail overload. But that's probably two key technology ideas that we have.

Anyone have any other particular budget ideas that they also have in mind? It's really just to have a preliminary discussion because the kickoff for the budget for the FY17 cycle should be starting mid-December. I see two hands raised. Chris?

CHRIS GIFT: Sorry about that, old hand.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Sorry. Jeff?

JEFF REID: Yes, sir. I just had a quick question. What is the calendar product that you're talking about? I understand Slack, but what is the calendar product you're talking about?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks, Jeff. So we use our group calendars that based on Teamup. I'll put the link in the chat. Teamup.com. And what we have done is that the Outreach and Engagement is using this to track outreach events that could be used by the At-Large community, therefore, to attend. And there are other programs in ICANN that allows for travel to such outreach events, hence the need to track it.

What I also would like to have is also have the GSE being able to share that information on their outreach events. And, perhaps, this could be expanded to other groups. The NomCom also has a need to track outreach events. And there's a need for outreach calendar here.

Possibly, the civil society engagement document approach that the GSE is finalizing. There will probably be a need to track civil society outreach events. So we are using that calendar right now, and it's just really to upgrade the calendar to, I would say, the plus version, so you can have things such as a longer history of the calendar, have a daily agenda, you

can also password protect certain sections of the calendar so that certain groups only certain persons with the password can update the calendar.

JEFF REID: Thanks, Dev. No. I appreciate that. That's good information for me, and I'll work through Chris and Mark Segall. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sure. Thanks, Jeff. Let's see. So those are the two key ideas. I'm not seeing anybody raising their hands on the possible budget items, so perhaps maybe we could spend some time now looking at the update on the various Technology Taskforce items.

So ATLAS II recommendations, and I guess we have done quite a lot of extensive work on the ATLAS II recommendations. Here's the link to the recommendations and all the work that has been done in documenting how we have approached this and made coming up with recommendations and so forth.

In fact, even between Dublin and now, we've continued to update and work on these recommendations. We had a meeting with David Goulet on the Tor project for the discussion on what is Tor and how it can be used.

We have also been updating the workspace to document more of the translation tools that are available to the At-Large community. The Skype translator, which is now integrated with the regular Skype desktop client, and so forth.

I guess my question comes now to Olivier as to what would be the best approach for these ATLAS II recommendations? Is it that we are going to present this to the At-Large community? And I hope you all – are you all hearing me properly?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Good.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I am hearing you, Dev, and I am waiting for the end of your question.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you. So we've documented all the research we've done for the various At-Large ATLAS II recommendations. My question to you is now, okay, what is our next step in either presenting – how do you wrap up the ATLAS II recommendations? Because we have documented a lot of stuff on our wiki. Maybe we probably won't do it on this call, but maybe we can have one more call and say, "Okay, we have done all the work that is possible on this ATLAS II recommendation." Okay, what next?

Do we then present it to the At-Large community? Do we have a capacity building session to then present these recommendations? So

how is it going to be handled? And if so, is there a particular timeframe you want to be doing this? That's my question.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks for this question, Dev. The recommendations themselves have a recipient, and not all recommendations have the same recipient. If we look at the post-ATLAS II implementation Technology Taskforce pages, looking at the first recommendation, say number 10: "The next evolution of language services must adopt further extension of live scribing for all meetings and generally extend the current interpretation and translation processes and make translation available in a timely manner," the recipient for this recommendation is ICANN staff Language Services Department.

And so once the working group decides that this recommendation is complete and is also, I guess, understandable by the recipient, maybe a single paper or what's on that page should be captured, and then be sent over to the Language Services Department, who would be expected to both acknowledge the recommendation but also, perhaps, come back to us with proposals based on the recommendation. That would then make this status being complete.

The next one you can see a recommendation 11 is shown as being completed, but a response is required: "Pending response from ICANN staff." "ICANN must implement a range of services to facilitate access according to various criteria and user needs." So I gather that this one has been sent, and here response is required. It says here, ICANN Board, ICANN staff. We'll have to check who we have sent this to.

I note that here actions on the 19th of October say At-Large staff to ask Chris Gift's team regarding implementation of this recommendation. I guess the moment we get a reply, in any case, this recommendation is completed, and so on for all of them. I'm not going to go through the whole list.

Some, of course, are the one that's in progress: "ICANN needs to be sensitive to the fact that social media are blocked in certain countries and, in conjunction with technical bodies, promote credible alternatives." So obviously, here, we would need to have a response from the ICANN GSE staff and ICANN CIIO, which is what's listed as the recipient, as basically saying that they are committing to other social media systems. I'm not sure what.

You see, there's all of these are in to someone. Number 19: "Eliminate barriers to participation and engagement with ICANN processes and practices," the recipient is unknown. Here, I guess this is something which would solely be for At-Large.

In any case, all of these recommendations we have to come back to the At-Large community with an answer letting them know what happened after they made that recommendation. How was it acted upon? That's how I guess we can then mark those as being done and completed.

Does that help?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So I think, yes, it does. Okay, so then really, what we need to do is then make a summary document for each of the recommendations for

both, well, presentations to the At-Large community to make sure that everybody agrees with the approach and recommendations that the working groups have made.

And then, also, to then – go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. You're quite right. There needs to be, if you want a document sent back to the At-Large community on all of them, anyway. But when there's a specific recipient for recommendation, these are the people we have to follow up with. When a recommendation is marked as recommendation for the ICANN Board, these are the ones that we present to the ICANN Board and that we request Board feedback on, if there are any that will require the ICANN Board intervention on this.

That's the follow-up. And there are some, as you mentioned here, which are complete, in any case. We've had an answer, we've had a follow-up on it, and we can just report this back to our community.

Now the question is whether we report back to our community in small batches or do we come back to our community with a whole large number of things? I think that, ultimately, if we report in small batches, it's probably going to be a little bit more difficult, so we might start building a master document of responses on each one of these recommendations, and that's what will be then sent to our community once they've been affected. I hope that helps.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I guess that's a challenge for the, I guess, the ATLAS II Implementation Group will have to decide.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's the overall Taskforce work to follow up and to put it back together into one piece. But obviously, taking each bit, we're looking towards having each one of those sections as complete as possible so that we can just do a cut and paste and a few words in between.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Alright. Thanks. Well I know part of the two things that came out of – well, not necessarily came out of the ATLAS II recommendations – it was to look at captioning on e-books and that NARALO and the two co-chairs actually put forward budget requests to implement those projects. Perhaps we can just get a brief update from Glenn. I see Judith on the call, too, so perhaps even Judith can also answer the part about the captioning. Glenn or Judith?

Okay. Glenn had apparently temporarily disconnected. Glenn? Do you want to just quickly update on the e-books? I see you posted some links in the chat there. Do you want to expand on it more? Okay. And I see Judith is typing, so perhaps she – okay, and Judith doesn't have audio connected.

Alright. So maybe she'll provide an update by the text chat there in the chat part. Sorry, Jeff. I didn't realize your hand was raised. My apologies. Do you have a question?

JEFF REID: No. Excuse me. I didn't mean to do that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No problem. Okay. So I know we're trying to wrap up this call here. So regarding the conferencing tools, and perhaps I can probably ask – I know that there were some concerns raised at the Dublin meeting by ICANN that they were looking at possible alternatives to Adobe Connect. So with that in mind, we have restarted the conferencing tools presentation, and I'll share that link on the chat because I do need some help in completing that, because I don't think I can do it. It will take much longer for me to do it alone because I really do need some help in terms of filling in the gaps for each of the conferencing solutions we have covered over the past year.

Okay? And I think we may have to then, just looking at the chat here. Yes. So we have an additional call that we can review. This is from Judith.

Okay. I'm going to stop. I'm not going to have the open discussion of ideas for 2016 but, of course, and I'll open the floor to anybody who has any other business to raise in terms of anything that the Technology Taskforce should be doing, should not be doing. I really would like to hear inputs from the persons on the call like Alfredo, Beran, Gordon, Harold, Judith, Narine, and Satish, any particular comments?

You've been quiet and very attentive, but do you all have any issues, comments, or ideas you have in mind that you want to share with the group?

Okay. I'm seeing many people typing. Okay. Nothing from Satish. Okay. And I know, Alfredo, you are indeed working with Glenn on a few things that might have great impact on the outreach and engagement. Alright. So since we are moving beyond taking more than ten minutes past the hour, I think we could probably end the call.

I would like to thank everyone for attending this call. Thanks to Chris Gift, Jeff Reid, Paul Hoffman from ICANN staff who have attended the call. It was a very informative discussion on some of the technology issues facing the At-Large community.

I would like to wish everyone season greetings, merry Christmas, and best wishes for the New Year, as this will be the last call for this year. But obviously, keep interacting on the mailing list, and take care. This call is now adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]