
YESIM NAZLAR:

Everyone. Welcome to today's AFRALO Monthly Teleconference, taking place on Wednesday, February 3rd 2016 at 18:30 UTC. On the English channel we have Daniel Nanghaka, Nkem Nweke, Remmy Nweke, Barrack Otieno, Sarah Kiden, Chris Mulola, [unclear 00:22], Seun Ojedeji, Mohamed El Bashir, Abdeljalil Bachar Bong. On the French channel we have Aziz Hilali, Wafa Dahmani, Michel Tchonang and Tijani Ben Jemaa. We have apologies from Etienne Tshishimbi and Silvia Vivanco.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Terri Agnew, and myself, Yesim Nazlar. Our interpreters today are Claire and Isabelle. Finally, I'd like to remind everyone to state their names when speaking, not only for transcript purposes but also for interpretation purposes as well. Over to you, Aziz. Thank you very much.

AZIZ HILALI:

Hello everyone. Welcome to this new teleconference for the month of February. I hope that it will go well, because it will be the teleconference that we have closest to our Marrakech Meeting. As usual, let's start with public comments. I will try to go over them quickly, because we have quite a bit to do. First of all, are there things you'd like to add to the Agenda? Nothing? We are going to start with public comments. First of all, we have the proposed implementation of GNSO consensus policy requiring consistent labeling and display. We still have some comments that need to be made.

The second point has to do with the stability of the data in the root server. What we need is to study the impact, and so the Dutch

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

organization that was put in charge of that and has started the work has submitted some comments, and we're still waiting for their final comments in order to incorporate them in the final study. The third point is the access protocol – the RDAP. Conversation is ongoing in order to get the comments from the community. Terri, can we please mute the other lines? It really is an issue.

I was getting to the last point, towards the final report, the recommendations of the Working Group working on the root server. As you know, the ICANN is interested in the point of view of the community and is asking if staff... That is all I have to say as far as public consultation, and we will now move on.

ISABELLE: I really have an issue with the echo, and I'm wondering if it's actually my line. I may have to call back in. I'm sorry, but this is not working. I can't hear. Claire is going to take over. Sorry about that.

CLAIRE: Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: We are going to move to the third Item, the Report. As usual, we are going to begin with the recent and upcoming activities of ALAC, and we are going to give the floor to the person responsible for this Item – Wafa, you have the floor. If Wafa is not with us, Seun, you have the floor.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you very much Aziz. From ALAC, I'm one of the team that's been in a team of discussion in the ALAC with the IANA transition, with especially the work of the CCWG on Accountability. I won't go into details of the CCWG Accountability, but I will just say that ALAC is already discussing this, and recently we have also been discussing the mode by which we'll actually approve the final proposal, which will be coming out before Marrakech. The goal is for ALAC to actually discuss the Recommendations one-by-one, and then finally be prepared to actually approve it in Marrakech.

That's been approved by the Chair of ALAC, and I haven't seen any opposition on that approach of engaging the process or ratifying the proposal. I think that is the major thing within ALAC. The other event is we had a meeting recently and we have also been able to agree on some schedules automating times. In the past, ALAC Meetings happened at a particular time throughout the year, but going forward meetings will happen at different times in order to actually distribute the [unclear 11:03] from people who attend the meeting at ungodly hours.

So we have different schedules of timing now that's been spread across each region within ALAC. I think that's very good progress in ensuring that each [unclear 11:40] covered when it comes to the time of the monthly meeting. I think that will be all. If there are any questions I'm willing to answer them. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much Seun. You have spoken about the next Item actually. No problem. I wanted to speak about activities other than the CWG and CCWG. No problem. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. Thank you Seun for the presentation of ALAC activities. I would like to add to what Seun said – that ALAC also worked on the Budget special request for At-Large. As you know, each year we present some special request for special activities that are not included in the ICANN Budget. This year, we have some requests that we worked on, and the FBSC are working on also. So it's in the interests of ALAC. Another subject of interest of ALAC was the Marrakech Meeting.

We are working hard on it – on the schedule, on everything about it – so it's also one of the activities. And the last one is the project that we've prepared, a white paper, that we're preparing to present to the ICANN Board about the Summit and the GAs of the RALOs. We have another facility of this. We want to make it a standing activity, a monthly standing activity, so it's of interest and we're working on it.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much Tijani. I see that Remmy is also asking for the floor. Remmy, you have the floor. Can you hear me? Okay, meanwhile, as we wait for Remmy, we are going to move to the next Item – the recent and upcoming activities of AFRALO Members. Are there any activities organized by the African Members or the Members of AFRALO? Nobody is asking for the floor, so we're going to move to Item #4 – Items for information. I'm going to give the floor to Mohamed to

speak about the ICG, because we need to know what happened in this group and what was decided in this group for the Marrakech Meeting.

TERRI AGNEW: We are trying to get Mohamed connected still on the audio.

AZIZ HILALI: Seun, do you want to speak about the ICG?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It's not about the ICG, it's about the CWG.

CLAIRE: Yes Tijani. I have a problem with Aziz's line, it's very difficult to understand it. Seun, you are going to speak about the CWG now. You have the floor.

SEUN OJEDEJI: As we all know, the CWG submitted their proposal a long time ago, which actually [unclear 16:45] the full proposal. At this stage, we have been following the ICANN Accountability activities and discussions, especially because some of the requirements of the CWG proposal has dependencies on some of the work of the CCWG on Accountability. Recently, a few days ago, the CWG [unclear 17:24] the [unclear] of the Bylaw changes that will be required as a result of the CWG proposal. [unclear 17:35] particular document can be posted to the Adobe Connect?

That document is currently under discussion. We're currently looking at it to make sure that what's being proposed as Bylaw changes are consistent with what is the intent of the CWG proposal, and what it's said the Bylaw changes should address. Comments are welcome on this. We will be meeting tomorrow. I want to make an Agenda Item to discuss that particular document. The other thing that is generating activity within the CWG is in relation to the IANA trademark and domain name.

There is a consensus now that the IETF [unclear 18:41] home for the IANA trademark and domain name, and IETF in return has sent a draft of a proposal indicating these steps are some of the things and principles that will be applied to [and actually 19:22] the IANA trademark and domain is actually transferred to the [trust]. That document also will be [unclear] Adobe Connect. So that document is still under discussion. [unclear] some of the text, if anyone thinks that anything needs to be changed or improved.

By the way, this document that was shared by the IETF is currently not just under discussion within the CCWG, but also within the IETF and also within the numbers community. Because we're talking about the trademark of IANA itself, so it's affecting the community. The document, which also contains the contract, the [argument terms 20:21] in the long run will become the working document that will be used to actually develop the required agreement to make sure the IANA trademark and domain name is accessible and operated in the manner that the [operational 20:45] community expects and wants.

I think that will be all from me for now. We are keeping track on the accountability activities and making sure to flag whatever, whenever required, if the CWG requirement is not met with the accountability proposal. So far we've not seen anything different, and I think and hope that everything will go as smoothly as possible. Our meeting is tomorrow, and I invite you to also join us. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much Seun. I ask you to be shorter please, because we have a very long Agenda and we have to speak about the Marrakech Meeting. Now, Mohamed is with us. Mohamed, you have the floor.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you very much Aziz. I'll be short and brief. As you know, the ICG has completed its work and the final proposal is ready to be submitted to the ICANN Board and to the NTIA, but it's currently sending the submission, due to the delay on the CCWG Accountability work. The team has been in continuous coordination, and actually today we had an ICG Chairs' call. We agreed that ICG is going to follow up the ratification of the chartering organizations, or the recent CCWG updated proposal.

We are going to maybe announce that ICG will be ready to proceed with a proposal, once the chartering organization has ratified the CCWG proposal. Hopefully, that will be before or during the Marrakech Meeting. ICG plans to have a face-to-face meeting in Marrakech, but a teleconference before Marrakech, on the 1st of March, a teleconference either during or after Marrakech, just to [resolve 23:40] the final

proposal and the formalized submission process. All the proposal [unclear] is pending this accountability work.

ICG will ask CWG to confirm that they are fine with the accountability proposal so we can proceed [unclear 24:01] the final proposal to the ICANN Board and then to NTIA. Thank you very much.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much Mohamed. Thank you for being short. Now I'm going to give the floor to Tijani, who will speak about the CCWG Accountability.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much Aziz. Everyone is saying that the CCWG is the reason of the problem. Because of the delay of the CWG, Seun is saying if the CWG will not, et cetera. So yes, CWG is a little bit late, but believe me, it's not easy, and it's as if you are trying to have a consensus where it will never be possible to have a consensus, since the interests are opposite. But I think we will manage, and we'll manage it soon. The CCWG, as Seun said at the beginning, will present this transitional report to the chartering organization, so that they will ratify it. Then it will be sent to the Board to be transmitted to the NTIA.

What is going on now? We still have some recommendations that need more work. For example, Recommendation 11 about the GAC advice, Recommendation 1 also about the GAC advice. But I think we're almost at the end of the discussion about Recommendation 1. We still have discussion about the mission, discussion about the human rights,

discussion about the commitment of the Board Members not to sue people who will ask for their removal, since now the community has possibility to remove Board Members.

This is a problem now, because the Board doesn't accept that there is this latter one, but they accepted to indemnify any problem that will come from suing the SO or AC who asked for the removal of the Board Member.

Also, we still have pending issues on the accountability of the SOs and ACs. We didn't finish it. We're almost about finished with this, but not yet. I will stop here. I know that Aziz wants me to be very brief. Thank you very much.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you very much Tijani. Thank you to all three of you, because you have been addressing this topic more closely than us. I would like to move onto the next point. There are four items within this point. Amongst those is the AFRALO/AFRICANN Joint Meeting. What I'd like to propose is that we start with that, before talking about outreach and other activities we'll organize in Marrakech.

As far as the AFRALO/AFRICANN Meeting, we already addressed that within the other Committee – the Committee that we formed and that we called the Organization Committee for the Marrakech Meeting, something like that. We already talked about that meeting, but I'd like to give the floor to Tijani so he might be able to tell you what was decided. I think that we also have an Action Item that was decided upon. We asked Beran to send an email to the list, but I'm not sure

whether or not that was done. First, let me give the floor to Tijani, because he's in charge of those activities. Go ahead Tijani. You have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much Aziz. As you know, the Organizing Committee has been working for three weeks. We have a lot of activities that we're dealing with, and I think there is more or less two main tracks. The first one is the Showcase – the Showcase is a big task and it's very complicated, because...

CLAIRE: Tijani, I'm sorry, but Aziz would like to interrupt you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: ...The same ceremony, and it is an arrangement for our Showcase, since we'll have all the community of ICANN coming there, and you will have...

YESIM NAZLAR: Tijani, can you hear me? Sorry for interrupting.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: ...I think that the Showcase is the thing that's very important. We need to pay real attention to it because we need to succeed because we will be under the scope. [unclear 30:47] what we will achieve there. The Showcase spoke about a lot of issues, a lot of items. One of them, for example, was the cultural activity. We spoke about the promotional...

ISABELLE: Tijani, Aziz would really like to stop you at this point, but I don't think you are listening, are you?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: ...But slowly, because we depend on several parameters that are not all in our hands. [unclear] I think for the Showcase I will stop here. the second important part of the Organizing Committee task is the organization of the NGOs and student participation. This is a part that's overlapping the outreach activity that Aziz programmed in the schedule, so I'll speak about both in the same time, so that the picture will be a broad picture. As for the NGOs, we are programming daily morning capacity building sessions.

We are also programming for them some interactions, which are not yet confirmed, with the Fellowship Program people, and also with the NextGen people. We programmed also work with the students that Aziz will bring from Rabat, and who will come and participate with us, with the NGOs, in the program of NGOs. But also they'll have other activities. So the NGOs and the students, we'll try to involve them in other activities, not only in other meetings in this Marrakech Meeting, so that they'll have the feeling of what an ICANN Meeting is. I'm sorry. I didn't read the chat, but Heidi wanted to speak about that. I'll stop here about this and let Heidi speak. Thank you very much.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, thank you. I'm going to give the floor to Aziz. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you. Tijani, when you speak you need to actually listen to us, because you were not listening and we actually had some urgency – we had people speaking at the same time to try and speak to you. So it's important. I think that what I wanted was not understood. I don't want to go into the details of outreach and engagement and the universities and so forth. For those that are interested, they are invited to take part in the Organization Committee, or they can take part in the ALAC Meeting that is open, even to the Members of AFRALO.

We have 20 minutes left, and we've still not discussed important details, so please, let us not go into too many details. Yesterday we had a meeting where we spent 40 minutes talking about the number of students, so please, I'm asking you to be careful. I think tonight we need to cover three points. First of all we need to talk about the question that was asked in the very beginning – the AFRALO/AFRICANN Meeting. We only have one month left. So I would like to be able to define tonight a Draft Committee.

We need to discuss a topic. First I would like to ask whether Barrack sent the email that we have asked to be sent in the list, in order to ask the African community to talk about the topic of the joint meeting between AFRICANN and AFRALO. Please could you tell us what you did, Barrack?

BARRACK OTIENO:

This topic – is it different to what we're going to be doing in the Showcase?

AZIZ HILALI: Please, we are not talking about the Showcase for now. I'm talking about Tuesday's meeting, between 11:00 and 12:30, between AFRALO and AFRICANN. Tijani, could you please take the floor and talk about the topic, and please tell Barrack that he needs to send a message to the entire African community. We only have five minutes to talk about that. We need to talk about that. Let us not talk about the Showcase at this point, please.

BARRACK OTIENO: Thank you Aziz. AFRALO/AFRICANN will have the meeting, as we always have the joint meeting, of the whole African community of ICANN. The subject design will be also the accountability, since in Marrakech we'll have the final, final text of the CCWG. So it will be the African comment about the CWG Report. Barrack, please, can you send a message on the list asking for people who want to be on the Drafting Committee, so that we will draft a statement about the Final Report of the CWG?

BARRACK OTIENO: Okay, I will send it after this.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much Tijani. Barrack, I hope you understand what you are supposed to do at this point. If you could please send, as soon as possible, this email? Because we don't have a lot of time before the meeting. Now, I would like to repeat a little bit of what Tijani said. Let us not go into too many details. There will be people who will be invited

to the outreach program and a bunch of engagement activities. We will also bring students from a Rabat university. They will spend some time with us, three days. They will come on Sunday and they will leave on Tuesday.

Third, we will also gather those students at the university there, with several ALAC people, who will moderate a discussion with the students, in order to encourage them to become more engaged in the activities that are going on. Those students will spend three days with us. An inter-sessional program will be put together for them. The Wiki page will define the different activities that will be proposed, and the main activity will be on Monday night – that is the Showcase evening – and that will be combined with an evening honoring Fadi, because it will be the goodbye to Fadi evening.

For that evening, we're working on that at this point with the staff, as well as a large team working on it. It will be a very large event. We might even have up to 2,000 people. It will be an exceptional AFRALO Showcase. I think we will invite 1,200 people. We'll have different activities, different entertainment that will be going on during that event. We are expecting 1,200 people.

At this point there will be two parts to this evening, because you will have the classic AFRALO Showcase – different people will be speaking – but the second half will be a little bit of a testimonial and a different ALS representative will say a few words about the relationship they've had with Fadi. We will also have a few speeches as well as entertainment at the very end. Now, are there any questions on this particular point,

before we move onto the last two small items? They're the documentation, the brochure, and possibly the DNS.

First, are there any questions about the Showcase? If you don't have any questions, we'll move to the second to last point, as far as the brochure is concerned. What I wanted is a small document that we always have, a small booklet, with different forms for the different ALSes. However, that job has not been done yet. Barrack, I have a question for you. What are the points that will be discussed during the AFRALO Showcase?

BARRACK OTIENO: Sorry Aziz, did we go back to the Showcase, or are we talking about the brochure?

AZIZ HILALI: The first thing I asked was whether or not there were questions about the Showcase, but there were not any questions. So I moved onto the AFRALO brochure and the business cards. If you could address that point, that would be great.

BARRACK OTIENO: Okay. Thank you Aziz. On the AFRALO brochure and business cards, after the last meeting we formed a small Sub Committee that looked at several samples, which we then presented to staff after giving our comments. Heidi will be uploading something for us to see, what's already been prepared, but I can confirm that we gave our feedback, and so we're expecting a sample brochure incorporating our comments,

and business cards to be prepared before the meeting in Marrakech.
Maybe if we can just have the sample on the screen?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Have you finished Barrack?

BARRACK OTIENO: Yes, I'm finished. I was expecting maybe for someone to put up the brochure on the screen so that participants can have a look at it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi Barrack. We are currently showing the new trifold. While I have the floor, if I could also say that this version will be translated into Arabic and French, and we'll have printed versions of all three languages – English, Arabic and French – for Marrakech. Thank you to all involved in this.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much. Is that it? Is there anything else you would like to add?

BARRACK OTIENO: No. Just to thank all those that contributed towards the flyer and the business cards.

AZIZ HILALI: Thank you very much Barrack. I'd like to give the floor to Tijani. Please go quickly over this point Tijani. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Which point? I didn't hear you.

AZIZ HILALI: You had your hand raised, that's all. I was wondering if you wanted to add something.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I understand. I raised my hand, but now I don't want to speak. Thank you.

AZIZ HILALI: Very good. Thank you Barrack for all your work on this trifold. What we also wanted was to have a booklet with forms, however this has not been done, but that's okay. But I do have a question for Remmy. I didn't understand the question that was asked. Something to do with the 1,200 people? Yes, there will be a lot of work during the Meeting and during that day in Marrakech, because during the day there will be the Opening Ceremony, there will be the Ministers who will be present there, right after, at 10:30.

First, the Opening Ceremony will be at 8:30. All the Ministers will be present for the high-level meeting, and that will start right after. For that evening, with 1,200 people, we might have ministers who stay. We

might also have, according to what I'm being told, several other Moroccan Ministers who've heard about ICANN and who just want to be there, to be present on Monday. It will start at 8:30 and it will end with the Showcase, as well as the part that honors Fadi, at 18:00.

There was also an issue with the visas, and I have to tell you that, over the past three months, I've spent three hours every day, and I've tried to help anybody I might know from Africa or wherever. I've tried to help them. I've gone personally to the Foreign Affairs Ministry in order to get these visas. The second thing that was done in Morocco, what Morocco will do is grant a visa for anybody who does not have a diplomat representative in their country. So some of them received a paper that they'll be able to show at the airport.

This is something we did for several people. We also did it for all the Fellows. I asked that this visa be given automatically, without having to go through a separate system and so forth. Just to tell you that we have done a lot of work. There has been a lot of effort, and in spite of that there are many criticism. Some seem to be worried or afraid to come to Morocco, because they think that it is a dangerous country, even though Morocco, and Marrakech especially, is a very normal city. But of course, there is no place in the world that is 100 per cent safe. Anyway, that's what I wanted to mention.

Let's move onto the last point. I wanted the entire African community to know that if you are interested in this DNS Forum, this last point, you can plan to come to Morocco before the 3rd, right? Barrack, can you please address this point? I was saying that this Forum will take place. It will take place from the 4th to the 6th of March, just before the ICANN

Meeting. Our African colleagues couldn't find any room in our hotel, in our venue, to organize this Forum.

Those who are interested in participating in that meeting, you have to come before to Marrakech. Okay. Now, do you have something to add? Someone wants to add something? Okay, if that's not the case, I thank everybody. I thank the ICANN staff, I thank the interpreters. If we can organize a teleconference before Marrakech, I'll speak with you then. If not, we will see each other in Marrakech. Thank you everybody.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]