
TERRI AGNEW: ...afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the NARLO monthly meeting on Monday the 11th of January 2016 at 20 UTC.

On the call today we have Glenn McKnight, Gordon Chillcott, Alfredo Calderon, Ken Whitehurst, Eduardo Diaz, Seth Reiss, Alan Greenberg, Dana Perry, Le-Marie Thompson, Allan Skuce, Judith Hellerstein, Garth Bruen, Loris Taylor, and Garth Graham.

Joining us approximately 30 minutes late today will be Joly MacFie.

We have apologies from Leah Symekher, Tim Denton, and Thomas Lowenhaupt.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano, Tesim Nazlar, and myself Terri Agnew.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name when speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. Welcome everyone to the first call of 2016, and a special welcome to the new staff person, Yesim from Turkey. Welcome to our monthly meeting. We hope to get to know you quite well.

We're going to turn right to the first action item, the Doodle result. And maybe I'll turn to staff to talk about the Doodle.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

TERRI AGNEW: Hi Glenn. This is Terri. Regarding the Doodle, the Doodle was sent out and again, the most popular time is going to be at 20 UTC. The second most popular time is at 21 UTC.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Just as a bit of background folks, in our conversations with different people, we contacted a number of organizations, and we found other people saying this is a very difficult time for them, the call, because it's during their work time. So in response to that, we get an action item with the Doodle.

It looks like this time in particular, still suits the community, so we'll keep the meetings as it is based on the poll. Not everyone completed the poll, but under the circumstances, my recommendation and based on the poll results, we'll keep it as it is, but I'll open it up for discussion.

For those who are on Adobe, you can put your hand up so I can see you, and I can address you. And those who are on strictly by Adobe, you'll just need to speak up.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: The majority has spoken.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, Judith, sorry. Seth is first, Seth go ahead.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Yeah Seth, go ahead.

STEVE ANDERSON: Hi. This is Steve Anderson from Open Media. I didn't have a chance earlier, but I just wanted to say I'm on the call, and I'm listening.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. For those who do not know Open Media, they're based out of Vancouver. They do some phenomenal work on online petitions. I will share it, in fact, maybe we can get spotlight the organization in next month's call. Thank you so much for joining.

Okay Seth, we'll turn back to you. What's your comments on the poll?

I guess, I don't hear anything from Seth. Judith, do you have any comments on the poll?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, I do not have any comments on the poll. But Seth has written in the chat that is he good with the current time of 20 UTC. And Lynn-Marie is teaching then, so she won't be able to make our calls except when she's not teaching. But we tried to figure out what to do, but that's it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Is there any comments, Judith that you had, in terms of the selection process with Doodle, the Doodle process?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, what he is suggesting is, but is always been... I... The Doodle, sometimes, staff seems to interpret the maybes as included as yes. But I was very glad that Terri just took the yeses as yeses. Sometimes they merge the two yes categories to maybe categories. And those really should not be merged.

That is, if you like having a tie, then you can go for the maybes, but they should be planned, so yeah, I'm glad that they weren't.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Thank you so much. Okay. If we said enough, there is no other questions or any comments from Adobe, so we can move on to the agenda. We're on the 3.0, any announcements from the membership of anything that they're doing, that you would like the membership to be aware of? This is a change in agenda format.

We've moved it fairly high up in the agenda, so that everyone has an opportunity to share with the community on what activities they're doing. Open it up to the floor.

Going once, going twice, going three times. So no one has any announcements right now, if you do have anything please add it to the Skype list or the discussion thread, especially for the new users. I want to make sure that they know they'll be organizing some webinars this month in February, as information sessions. Be happy to help you get the coordinated as new members on our Confluence and other aspects of the community.

Okay. So I'll move on to the update on new ALS applications. Judith, do you have an update on our only, I think it's the only current application we have on ISOC...?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Hi. ISOC Washington DC has submitted an application. We have asked, Glenn and I have discussions with this on the application, and we were asked for more information. And I believe we asked Terri if she could acquire that new information from the ALS, and to get the application updated with that information.

I know Terri and staff have done the due diligence and added some information there, but it really should be on the main application. And also we had referred the questions that we have sent out, and so we are waiting to hear about that. And then we'll be talking later about de-certifications that Glenn and I have been working very hard at writing to all of the different ALSs and seeing how we can increase their engagement.

And I know that's a topic for later, so I'll just leave it at that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you Judith. I think Silvia has got a question for you. [CROSSTALK]

SILVIA VIVANCO:

...Vivanco. Yes, thank you Judith. Regarding the due diligence, Nathalie actually, Nathalie, she completed the due diligence and she has updated me that at the moment, he included the additional information sent by

the applicant in regards to your question. And that's part of the [inaudible] that you currently have. So at the moment, the procedure, I just want to clarify that it does include an opportunity to do a new request, a new application, submit an application.

But we can do any, of the information to the due diligence process, and that's where we are. If you'd be so kind to review the due diligence, and based on what is already there, on the due diligence, these are your feedback. That means there are still more questions we can ask, they can include, or put more information into this due diligence.

But I think at this point, all the concerns were satisfied. Actually, staff is waiting for you to give us the regional advice.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

So, Silvia, Glenn, we appreciate that the due diligence that Nathalie has done. We had some additional questions. And that's why, last week, we addressed them to Nathalie. But we have not heard back. And so, we have thrown the issues back to you.

Also, the form that has the due diligence, has a lot of private information on it, so we don't want to share that actual form. Instead, we would like to share the application, the application itself has not been updated. This is due diligence, she added new information on the due diligence form, not on the application form.

And then we had some additional questions that we had... Glenn and I had to ask of the applicant.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. At this moment, I'm going to put an action item for Nathalie to get back to you, and to follow up on your additional questions. But let me clarify that the application forms are very basic first step. The good timing to add more [meat] if you wish, to the procedure, is the due diligence.

So we can put some more information into the due diligence document, and that would be the best way to [inaudible]. But I will take an action item for Nathalie to get back to you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right, but also, I would like... We don't want to share the due diligence with the region, because it has some private information. So we would like to share the application with the new information on the application, and then we could add in, on a note, to the region just some questions, just some items that the due diligence has pointed out.

But instead of sharing the actual due diligence form, that's was what our concern was. We would like it on the actual application form. And Alan...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I believe Alan may have a comment.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. There are specific rules about what can be shared publically and what can be not. So it's not just a matter of our feelings on it. The process is in flux, as you all know, that we're looking at

reevaluating it. At the moment, there is no process formally for updating the application, other than to withdraw it and resubmit it.

So I understand that there is discussion going on with staff to figure out how we can do this, and Nathalie is not on the call right now so I think we really should cut the discussion short and work privately with Nathalie to try to make sure this is done smoothly. [CROSSTALK]

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Silvia, is there any other final comments?

SILVIA VIVANCO: No [CROSSTALK] ...back to you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Okay. So Alan, thanks for that input. We would like to move on to the next stage, 4.2. We were talking about earlier about our outreach. We did reach out to a number of organizations, and we've created a separate page of organizations that have decided not to continue as ALSs. We have emails verifying their decision. So we have a few others that we're still waiting for, but you can see in the center panel, we have organizations that we've reached out to.

For whatever reason, you can read the information, they decided not to be an ALS anymore. These are individuals that either attended one or no meetings all of 2015. We called them, we actually phoned them. We emailed them. We [inaudible] to find out what their status is. Judith, any comments on that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We have no more, besides the individuals that we reached out to. We're still waiting to hear from some others who have not been active. And so, we probably will have like a few more to put in there. And also, then we're going to move on to the next stage of, how do we get the ones active, not as active to get re-active?

And I think that's going to be our discussion, and that's brings us to the webinar that Glenn and I were looking at, at having. And maybe Glenn, you want to talk about that?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. We're working with staff to set a date, information session, any question that existing ALSs have, they may not be aware of how the working groups work, they may not be aware of policies. So we want to work with individuals with their interest is. So we'll be sharing with the community on the dates, we'll work up with staff on the dates of those information sessions.

So look to them for sure in February and again, we invite anyone who has not been active, and we welcome anyone who is very knowledgeable as well to be on the call. So we'll let everyone know on those dates. Okay, Silvia? Go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you Glenn. First of all, thank you for contacting all of the organizations and trying to get more organizations involved. That's a great effort and we really appreciate this effort. Second, there is a

[inaudible] workspace, and I note that there are four organizations, as you mentioned, and all of them are the recommendation that you have included these to start the de-certification process for these organizations.

So just to confirm with you, we will take note of this as an action item, and we should meet this [inaudible] and email to staff, just concerning these four organizations will be decertified and we will send this to the ALAC to start the formal procedure to decertify these organizations. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much Silvia...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you Silvia. We jumped the gun on that one to the next item.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. They did all request to be decertified. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. They did all request to be decertified. And that was why we recommended that particular action. We do have some others that we haven't heard from, and we'll contact them again, but we expect, if we do not hear from them, and they have not met the conditions, that we will likely request that they will be decertified as well.

So that will be for a future call.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. All right. Silvia, you'll put that into the action item and we'll move that forward. I believe we have Michael [Miranda's] organization, HGM, extremely difficult to get hold of. But I do see him on Facebook once in a while. I think that would be another organization that will probably join with it as well, because I assume that he's quite busy with other things.

But until we get an email or a phone call message, we assume they are still onboard. Okay, so just moving ahead. I believe our next item is our community calendar. The link is provided. It's a way for all of us to share what items are coming up or activities. So it's in the agenda. The team up, this has been created with the technical taskforce, and the team up calendar, if you have any items that you are interested in, please send them to me, I'll add them to the calendar.

Anything in our region, the idea is we want to, particularly with the GSE, our staff that's doing outreach in North America, that we know what they're doing and vice versa. So that the calendar is a very important tool. If you are speaking to groups, please let's add the information to our team up calendar.

The one item we're doing this week is with ISOC Canada, and it's on the Internet of things that we'll be live streaming, and I'll be sharing with everyone the information on that live stream on Thursday. But it has been added to the team up calendar. Any questions on the calendar? [Inaudible] okay.

We have our favorite publisher, editor on Adobe. If he can unmute his line. I'm asking Eduardo to talk 4.4, to talk about the NARALO newsletter. So Eduardo please.

Do you have an excuse Eduardo?

Eduardo, are you there?

Has everyone received copies or have seen the newsletter? We're trying to make it interactive. It's using constant contact. We're trying to incorporate graphics, video, different interesting techniques. But I don't think we're getting our friend.

Okay, sorry about this folk. Ken says he hasn't received it. We'll make sure that everybody gets a copy sent around to them, but they're constantly... Every month we do a newsletter. If there is interesting things that you would like to have in the newsletter, please suggest it. I would be happy to look at suggestions. Last call for Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I'm here. [CROSSTALK] I'm sorry. Yes, [inaudible].

Like I always say, please send me your events. Anything that is happening to your ALS, even if you want to be mentioned about what you do, please send that to me. The main thing is, whatever you're saying, send me only two or three lines, and send me a link. If you had a longer, you know, if it's longer, or there are more pictures, or pages that you want me to go.

Because the newsletter should be really short and to the point. And if we want to add more information, we can go more into anything. But you know, thing about have the newsletter that another channel of communication that you can use, which is you know, the whole RALO, and other people outside the main RALO. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Thank you so much. Maybe, I wanted to put a couple of people on the spot for the newsletter. I'd like to see Tim [Whitehurst], I'll follow up with him, with Consumer Counsel. Some of the interesting stuff they're doing, they share with the rest of the community. And Open Media as well.

So I'll put them on the spot for next month's newsletter. Welcome Ogi and Darlene to the call. Our friend Darlene is from the far north, we're talking about the [inaudible] of weather, where we are. [Inaudible] then we are in Boston or Washington or Toronto.

Okay, I want to move quickly on to the next section, 4.5. The new advisory council, gTLD marketplace heal index due on January 22nd. Maybe I'll turn it over to Heidi or someone else from staff to talk about that.

Maybe they're muted. Heidi, do you have any comments on that? Okay. Next item, Alan, do you have anything to say on that? Okay. Call for volunteers for the new GNSO policy development process. Working to establish a policy framework for the next generation gTLD registration. Is anyone interested in participating with this?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, this is Judith. Can... Maybe you can give a little two second, one minute description of what that working group is going to do so that people have an idea.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Alan has volunteered to do that and he's the better person than me on that. Please Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Not actually why I put my hand up, but I'll do that. This is the group that's going to be looking at the rules associated with new gTLDs, and should be there further realms, which people are expecting there will be. This will set the rules. So essentially, this is an opportunity to rewrite any of the things we found wrong with the previous ones, and certainly lots of people in North America have had lots of comments on things, you know, ranging from rules associated with community TLDs which did not allow very many of them to go forward, to all sorts of other issues.

And this is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor and help participate in what the new rules are. It's a lot more satisfying to complain afterwards than to actually work on these things, but if we want to affect how things are going to go in the future, this is the opportunity. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thanks Alan. If anyone is interested in learning more about this, do we have a link to the page Terri or Silvia? So we can share the link so they can read up on it and sign up.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. This is Silvia. We'll search for the link and put it up shortly.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Okay. Alan, did you want to talk about the new GNSO policy development process?

ALAN GREENBERG: I've got to look at what do you mean by that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: We're asking for volunteers for the new GNSO policy development process working group.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's what I was just talking about.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: ...talking about that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Judith, did you want to talk about the captioning pilot project?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

So, Silvia and I and others have been working on the captioning pilot. We're going to be starting it in February, and I think this is the last week to make any suggestions. If you know of other working groups who are in and they would like to be captioned for the February meetings, please send a note to either myself or Silvia to actually, oh, put the link on there.

Please send a note to staff and to others about which ones they want. Right now, we have gotten four requests, and we can do three of them. So we would like to have as many as possible, and make sure that everyone has a chance. So we can do, under the pilot, we can have captioning, English captioning on three working groups a month for one hour, or if we want the ALAC, that can also be done, and that's the only one where that has been granted the exception to go more than an hour.

So please let us know if there are people in your groups who would like it captioned. And captioning is not only just for accessibility reasons, but also for people with limited bandwidth, and people whose native language is not English. So just let staff or us know about that, and we would love to add your name to the list too as well.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. So Judith, Terri has provided the link to some background information on what the captioning project is. Okay, if there is no other questions on the pilot project, I would like to turn to Garth to comment

about the next item, 4.7, response to Fadi's response on the consumer trust letter that was sent by Alan.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. This is Garth Bruen. Can everybody hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, wonderful. So without going into too much detail about the history, because there is significant history about this. ALAC sent a letter which I drafted and some other folks contributed to, concerning the issue of consumer trust in practice, not in theory, but in practice, the way that ICANN is approaching consumer trust.

Because there has been quite a bit of discussion about the importance of consumer trust, and ICANN putting consumer trust at the forefront and aggressively promoting it, you know, as the stewardship is transferred to ICANN etc. So what we found and what I've found in some of my research, and also in a public meeting with Alan [Grogan], the head of compliance at ICANN, there were four main concerns we had about ICANN's approach to consumer trust.

And the first issue is that they had not hired a consumer safeguard director. That one year ago, in 2014, there was a public announcement that there would be this new position called director of consumer safeguards, that we report to compliance, and this person would focus

on consumer safeguards issues. And from what we've been able to tell this position was not created or filled.

The second issue was the concern over acknowledgement of the general philosophy of consumer trust. Consumer trust is part of the mission statement of compliance, but I asked Mr. Grogan about this in a Dublin meeting, he denied or did not know whether or not consumer trust was part of the mission statement.

The third issue was concerns the compliance department's consultation or outreach to At-Large and ALAC, in that their outreach to the stakeholder community, they included a number of stakeholder groups did not include ALAC in their outreach. We wanted to know why that was the case.

And then the last item, the fourth item, was a question about how many consumer groups, the actual consumer groups, complying through ICANN was consulting with, and how they were going about, you know, finding these consumer groups and talking to them. Because it didn't look like they had actually had spoken to any real consumer groups.

So we formatted this letter to address those four items and sent it off to the CEO, to Fadi Chehadé and we received a response. And the response is problematic. In particular, number one, the response about the consumer safeguard director, the answer is yes, we are committing to filling this position. The process has taken a bit longer than originally expected, however we identified and are engaging with promising candidates and we are optimistic we will fill this position or announce that we have settled on a candidate by ICANN 55 meeting in Marrakesh.

Okay. I mean, that sounds like good news, but this position, as far as I can tell, is not listed in ICANN career openings. There are two other compliance positions for kind of lower level compliance analyst positions. As far as I can tell, this position hasn't been advertised within ICANN's job openings.

I was also unable to find any kind of job opening for this position on some of the major job posting sites. Some of the, really the international top level, you know, executive search sites. Wasn't able to find any job descriptions or openings of this type for ICANN for this position.

So I think in following up with the specific point, we need to see what the job description is, and we need to know where it was posted and how long this job was posted for. Because on ICANN's career section, there is a dozen or so different openings listed, but this one is not.

On the second issue, in terms of consumer trust as a goal of ICANN's contractual compliance department, as part of the answer Fadi stated, "In addition, Alan [Grogan] made a commitment when he was appointed to the position of chief contract compliance officer to look for ways ICANN can help safeguard Internet users and registrants."

Okay, stating that he committed to it, doesn't really address the issue of whether or not there is anything in practice that is geared towards consumer safeguards. Also part of this answer, Fadi has listed legit scripts as a nonprofit group that's combating so-called rogue pharmacies.

And as a point of clarification, legit script is a commercial for profit company that does different types of consulting on these issues. They're not a nonprofit group. The letter goes on to list different organizations like the International Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber of Commerce is a collection of businesses.

They also list the business action to stop counterfeiting and piracy, that's another business related industry group. And then further down, they list the FDA, FTC, DEA, FBI, Interpol, and Europol, those are government law enforcement agencies. So again, we're kind of going around with the same problem of not really understanding or acknowledging what is a consumer group.

The response to the third item, which is about the outreach to ALAC, the response is, "Alan has confirmed that he is happy to include ALAC in these consultations and will reach out to you to schedule an appropriate time for discussions." This is a big mistake for them not to, at the beginning, including ALAC as one of the stakeholder groups.

Saying that they are now willing to talk to ALAC doesn't really address the issue. We should have been on the list from the get go, that's a big failure as far as ICANN is concerned. On the fourth item again, specifically about outreach to consumer groups, the response letter kind of reaffirms that they consulted various consumer groups which aren't consumer groups.

They're industry lobbying groups and they were government law enforcement agencies. So in general, the concern I have over this letter is that, is the same as before, which is that when we try and find a

consumer safeguard's agenda, we're missing really key pieces. We're missing, number one, a staff person who is responsible for it. We're missing number two, a framework philosophy, just a plan to deal with consumer safeguards.

And then in practice, actually talking to consumer groups and working through At-Large which represents Internet consumers. So, if ICANN is to be taken seriously in its quest to protect consumer safeguards, I don't see a comprehensive plan or agenda in their previous actions, or in this response letter. And I'm drafting a response to the response, but I wanted to see what everybody else in the community thought of it, and I'm happy to take any comments, and I'm sorry for talking so long. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. Okay, let's open it up to the floor. Any comments? Alan, do you have any response to Garth's comments?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I don't have a response to Garth's comments. I just heard them now for the first time, so I'm not going to try to give a formal response. A couple of comments. The letter, you know, Garth writes that organizations like legit script are nonprofit, although I don't think the letter said they were nonprofit.

It simply listed the organizations who have had expressed some interest in consumer trust issues, and they've met with them. So I really don't think that they were claiming that these were all consumer

organizations. I think the key part of the letter is at the end, where basically they're saying, if we're not doing a good job, tell us what we should be doing.

Now, you know, maybe that's not the optimal way things should roll out in the world, but I think we have an opportunity at this point, to you know, give them some guidance. Tell them who the consumer organizations are that we believe they should be talking to, and who they should be talking to the people, and give them no wiggle room, so not toe the line as we expect it to be toed, I think.

So I think at some level, the challenge is on us at this point, to give them targets where we can't be, well not that we can't be, but we shouldn't be dissatisfied at the end because they're actually doing, following the instructions that we give to the extent that we can. I think that's our only path at this point. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: All right, thank you. Garth, a brief response?

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. On the one point, they specifically state in the letter that legit script is a nonprofit. That's specifically stated in the letter so they didn't do any fact checking on that. And then in general, you know, obviously, yes. We're the last line of defense for the Internet user. That's our responsibility, that's why we're here to make sure that ICANN is doing its job.

And they cannot say that their doing consumer safeguarding when they're not doing consumer safeguarding. And I think that the larger community needs to know that is what's going on here. Now, yeah, obviously we need to guide them about where to go and what to do, and what consumer safeguarding should look like.

But here they've said that they were going to hire somebody and dedicate somebody to this position. I see absolutely no evidence that this has taken place or is taking place. That's a specific point that they need to come clean on.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you Garth. Tim from Consumer Council Canada is the Skype, sorry, in the chat asked if he can comment via voice?

TIM DENTON: Yeah. Is everyone hearing me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes please.

TIM DENTON: This sounds like a classic problem. In fact, you know, our organization has done quite a lot of research on representation in it and consumer impact assessment in other areas. And the simple answer is that, you know, no one is really, I mean what they need to do to have effective [inaudible] in the Internet or anywhere else, really.

[Inaudible]... To say something practical though, they might start by looking at the consumer handbook for the OECD. It sets out an excellent guidelines for [inaudible] consumer impact assessment and factors to consider in getting effective consumer representation.

We've done some research, not specifically to do with this area, but to do with, you know, issues within Canada around consumer representation. And have a quite extensive report related to the question and problems of consumer representation, we've completed just this, early last summer. And that was related to, in that case, to regulatory matters to do with internal trade in Canada.

But nonetheless, it's out of 25,000 survey in it with Canadian consumers on attitudes around consumer representation. And also, highlights generally what the problems and pitfalls in effective consumer representation. So there is a lot of information that if people at ICANN really wanted to inform themselves about how to conduct consumer representation, or to consider consumer representation that is available, it seems to me the professional thing for them to do would be to review the [inaudible] literature in the area.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great, thanks Tim. We'll need to put off this discussion now because we're running a tad late on other things, but perhaps Garth and Tim can connect by email. If you don't have each other's email, let me know and I'll make sure there is a connection.

I want to move to the next item on finance and budget. We have submitted for consideration the General Assembly for the October

ICANN Puerto Rico event. And that would be under consideration. Loris Taylor was going to talk about their First Nation submission.

She couldn't stay on the call, but this is a follow-up on last year's. They did submit one last year for special request, so they're tweaking their proposal. She would have, last year, Tony [inaudible] of E Association was going to be doing it with her this year, but they're no longer an ALS, so she'll be moving forward.

So we'll be following up with her. If there is any other, I believe Alfredo Calderon was looking at submitting a proposal and it's a follow-up on discussions we've had on augmented reality material, so we should expect something. So Alfredo, don't forget the date. Heidi, did you have any comments on the budget process.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Glenn, Judith. Heidi, one minute. This is Judith Hellerstein. I think Ogi was going to submit something, because I thought Karen was saying that you guys were thinking about something.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That's a question for Ogi. Ogi...

OGI MITEV: Yes, this is Ogi. Just to confirm. Can you please repeat the question? I've been listening but... Are you talking about CROPP?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, the budget, the special budget request. I think you guys were talking about wanting to do some kind of program, and to get money on a special budget request.

OGI MITEV: Yeah, I'll have to come back to you. Can I come prepared for the next meeting, so February? Is it possible to ask for more time?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: So the deadline for the RALOs is 22nd of January, so those need to be in, in a couple of weeks. So February is going to be a little bit too late. Because again, the process is from the RALO or from the ALSs to the RALOs, then up to the FSFC, and then onto the ALAC. So the deadline, again, is the 22nd of January.

But if I could comment, go ahead.

OGI MITEV: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So Gram and Judith, I just wanted to point out a couple of things. On the NARALO General Assembly, thank you very much Glenn and I've been very remiss in not getting back to you. I will make time for it

before the deadline on my to-do list. The augmented reality, I've just had, again, a confirmation that under the e-books project for fiscal year 16, there is a possibility of getting the software, not only for the e-books program Glenn, that you selected, but also that augmented reality, that video you presented a while ago?

That Alfredo presented, we can also get that software under the fiscal year 16 e-books. So there wouldn't need to be an additional fiscal year request just for that software purchase, if that's what you wanted to go with, or that's what the outreach and engagement subcommittee wanted to go with.

And I know that there is a call of the outreach and engagement subcommittee being planned early next week, so maybe that can be on the agenda for that. Of the possible requests for the, from Loris on indigenous people, that is welcome. I do want to point out that there is a mentorship program being rolled out on behalf of ICANN.

The first year, which is this calendar year, 2016, it will be a staff led project. So in consultation with the community, there will be one At-Large mentor, and then selectees, some mentees. So for the Puerto Rico meeting in October, that person might be, the mentor might be someone from North America, a member of the indigenous community as well as the mentees.

So that's something to keep in mind when you're preparing that program, that proposal. Thank you very much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. Any other questions Judith to Heidi?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So, yes. And this is Judith Hellerstein for the record. And Heidi and I discussed, she would also like us to put in a second request for the captioning program, because she expects, as we all do, that we're going to have a great success, and that we should be able to extend the pilot.

So Heidi, is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, that's absolutely correct. And I also wanted to again, congratulate you, Judith, and the entire team working on that. The Board's list, when that was announced that the At-Large group was doing the captioning project, I received absolutely outstanding feedback from various Board members.

So I would say yes, given the timing, it's slightly delayed this year and that's why we need to put in another request just to ensure that it continues. So many thanks again.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you so much. The next item on the list is before we get to Gordon, is our meeting in March. We need to start thinking about whether or not we do the face to face meeting in March, which is in Marrakesh, or we, which would push the date, although earlier, or stay with the existing date of March 14th.

So I just want to sort of bring that up now. We don't have to make a decision now, but it is something we've done historically. We've done our NARALO meetings, we've changed the dates to accommodate the face to face, but given the time zone difference, it may be really inconvenient.

But I'm just, I'm weighing that as an issue for our March call. Any questions on that? Judith, do you have anything on that?

Okay, next. Okay, Gordon please, if you've got a few minutes, can you talk about GTA [inaudible]?

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Thank you Glenn. Gordon Chillcott for the record. In the interest of time, I'm going to do about every fourth word or so on my notes here. Firstly, can you hear me?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Good stuff. Greater Toronto Area Users Linux Group, that is the ALS that I and a couple of other people who are not with us right now represent. We are basically a social club. I want to get that up front because we're not, we don't spend a lot of time dealing with major issues that we don't get involved in through no fault of our own.

I have to admit, there is quite a few of those. Our membership ranges everywhere from open source professionals right through open source users, corporate and otherwise, to simple enthusiasts and quite a few basically curious onlookers. Not as an organization, but our membership is involved in any number of open source projects, including Open Office and [inaudible] and quite a few others.

And we get together once a month. I'm going to put a link to our website in the chat and the mailing list for your convenience. We meet every month on the second Tuesday of the month, which by the way, means that we're going to be meeting tomorrow night.

Currently we meet at [Bryson?] University downtown. It's face to face meeting. And going on to the next item. The way we're set up, we have a membership of anywhere between 18 and 400 people, depending on how you count. In fact, I had to explain this to Glenn earlier on.

The meetings usually bring in anywhere between 18 and 40 people, but the mailing list, which is a real indicator of the number of people active in the organization, something over 400 at last count and that was about eight months ago.

We were founded in the early 90s as part of a Unix interest group. And we exist as a non-formal group until 2004, when for a number of reasons, we incorporated. And being incorporated, and I think Glenn wanted me to go through this, we have a Board of Directors, we have the usual executive group, we have a sort of informal executive group that is a collection who are involved in various bits and pieces of what's going on in ICANN.

I'm one of them because I'm your primary contact. And besides the formal general meeting, which happens, as I said, on the second Tuesday of every month, there is a monthly executive meeting. And reports on what I have gone through, and the others have gone through in ICANN, are provided as written reports to the Board, give them my report.

Let's see. We have become involved in a number of things outside our circle here in Canada: copyright legislation, Internet privacy, telecommunications competition, which is kind of an issue here in Canada. Broadband in rural areas and several other things. We got involved in ICANN primarily through Evan Lebovitz, who attends our meetings still sometimes, although since he's out of the country, he hasn't had that much of a chance.

He got us into, by a rather forceful presentation he made during one of our meetings, and the executive became slowly interested. It was an evolutionary process, and it resulted in our application. We became an ALS in 2009. And I want to say, Alan, for the record that Evan had a lot of patience with us, and we had any number of questions, which we asked multiple times, and there were any number of complaints, which he had to field a number of times.

And he managed to live through it all, and so did we. We have been involved through the, excuse, the technology taskforce. In fact, I was involved in the improvements taskforce that recommended this creation. And we've been involved through the, involved through the stewardship transition issues through the ad-hoc At-Large group. And several other things.

And that, I think, in the interest of time, is about all I'm going to say. If there are any questions, then I would be glad to field them. Thanks Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. Looks like your volume was a little low. For the benefit of those who didn't hear Gordon very well, Gordon's organization is interesting because he's mainly the front man. You may have met [Garth Sullivan?] at the ATLAS 2 meetings, he was one of the reps, but he's been very diligent in attending the meetings and he's been quite ardent in getting back to his community and providing feedback on his meeting.

So again, thank you so much for your involvement Gordon, and your contributions are more than welcome. I believe Judith has a comment. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I have no comment.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. I think we're really running way over. I do apologize for that. Some of the topics went way over. We have a number of things you see in the agenda that are asking for community feedback, so please look at the agenda. There are a number of items that we welcome community feedback.

As you all know, ICANN looks to NARALO as a major contributor to policy. A number of people have done a phenomenal job. Alan, Evan, Darlene, and others who've done great historical contributions over a number of years on various different ICANN policies.

So I'd like to just, Judith, is there any final comments?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

This is Judith for the record. I have no final comments, but we wanted to make sure if there is any other business, and we don't want to forget any other business. And we wanted to make sure that people know that, and I know that we running a few minutes over.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. If that's it, I would like to thank everybody for joining us today. And we look forward to speaking to you next month. And thanks for the new people that have come onto the call today. Thank you again.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]