
GISELLA GRUBER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to today's ALAC Leadership Team Meeting call on Tuesday the 15th of December at 22:00 UTC.

On today's call, we have Holly Raiche, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Sandra Hoferichter, Alan Greenberg, Olivier Crepin-LeBond, Maureen Hilyard, Chery Langdon-Orr, Ron Sherwood, and Judy Hammer. No apologies noted.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang; and myself, Gisella Gruber.

If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. And in Cheryl's part of the world, it is Wednesday, the 16th of December, so her birthday. And we wish her a happy birthday, for the record. Over to you, Alan. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: And in fact I am now ready to almost start the meeting. Just give me one more moment. Thank you very much for indulging me in getting a coffee. I have been working/running now for six hours without a break and I really needed this.

All right, we have a relatively full agenda, if I can find it. And we have a hand up from Tijani. Go ahead, please. Tijani, are you there?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes. Thank you very much, Alan. I am sorry to raise this point now. It is now midnight, 10 past midnight, and I will be in the meeting room tomorrow at 8:30, so I have to wake up very early. May I ask you please to change the order of the points of the items of the agenda, starting by four and then five and then eight, if you don't mind.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I have no problem with that whatsoever. Four, five, and eight. Consider it done. Four is the CCWG, five is finance, and eight is the general assembly statement. That's fine with me. Nobody else has an objection I assume? Then we will go directly to item number four. Thank you, Tijani, for asking. That's no problem at all.

Where we are right now, we have just finished an IANA issues call, and earlier today in my day, we had an accountability, CCWG and a CWG call. So there's all sorts of things going on. It is not 100% clear what the process is for how do we resolve all of the issues, those that are being raised by the ACs or SOs, those that have been raised by the board, those that might be raised by the CWG in their letter, and there's a of those – and how these are going to be reconciled and put together in a final statement.

One of the things we talked about, but didn't quite resolve in the IANA issues call is we had originally decided that we would only put in our statement things that were clear red lines for the ALAC. We are now having suggestions that we put in things that we are viewing internally as negotiating points. That is, they may be not be red lines, but we

should say they're red lines and see if we can get any movement on them.

I certainly have a bit of a problem in deciding which of those to put in because my preference would've not been reopen issues because one person wants it. However, there seems to be some desire that we might do that. So I think given the timeframe, we will have to have an opportunity for raising those issues. I'll try to identify them ahead of time and mention them on the webinars which will be run tomorrow and Thursday, depending on the timeframe. I don't see much other way of going forward without giving the tight timeframe we're on. This statement has to be submitted no later than Monday, and I think this statement is of significant import that we have to have an ALAC vote on it prior to submission that we can't do after the fact ratification. At least that's my personal opinion, but I'm willing to take input from the ALT as to whether we should modify that.

The document that is pointed to in the agenda and was sent to the CCWG today is the current form of the issues that we are contesting. The cover letter confirmed that the seven recommendations that are not mentioned are ones that we are, at this point, completely supporting. I guess I'm looking out for input from other people as to how to go forward and how do we make sure that we are representing our community well.

Sebastien has again raised the issue that we really need to go out to the ALSes and get real input. I personally have no clue how we do that, given the complexity of the issue. And if we can't entice someone to come to a webinar and if we can't get them to come to the CCWG

webinars to explain the process, I don't really see how we're going to get sufficient input from them.

I see we have some hands up now, so I turn it over to you, Holly, first.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Number one, I agree we have to vote. It will have to be very quick for the usual process. Maybe we will have to truncate that. But I think we should at least have ALAC agreeing. And I don't agree with Sebastien. I have no idea how on Earth you get meaningful input from the At-Large Structures at this stage. I think the task of us and of ALAC members is to go out and explain what's going on, but I just don't agree that it's possible to explain it at this late stage. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Alan. I see what Sebastien wants and I understand it very well. Since we have a problem of time, I think that the webinar, we should send an e-mail before the webinar telling people that please come to the webinar and please comment after the [explanation] [inaudible], Alan. I would like to see people comment on your presentation, so that we may catch something that we didn't catch. [inaudible] input.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Tijani. Can I ask staff – and I'm not quite sure who the right person is – what lists were used to advertise the webinars?

GISELLA GRUBER: We sent it to the ALAC Announce and to the five regional lists.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. The only other one we could use is At-Large, which is sort of a general grab-bag list. If we've sent it to the regional lists and we sent it in the appropriate languages for those lists...

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes. I'm just finishing the French translation. The Spanish one, [inaudible] translate, but not on the French.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can we please have someone translate that message by hand and send it to the Spanish version of the list? Otherwise, all the Spanish people are getting are the mangled version of the English one. I'm not saying send it to the translators to do it, but can we get out a message before this day is out telling people in Spanish about the Spanish webinar on the Spanish LACRALO list?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, we will get it done by—

LEON SANCHEZ: [inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: Wait, Gisella is talking right now.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry. Leon is in a very noisy area, I believe. Leon has offered to help. Silvia has just offered to help. She's got the e-mail [inaudible] now. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Appreciate that. Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I went to speak and I couldn't get a word out for a moment. I find myself yet again disagreeing vehemently with Sebastien Bachollet. I'm not sure whether we're supposed to walk up and down the streets and say, "What do you think of the [inaudible]?" I think that, arguably, the way the ALAC and At-Large community has approached all of this going through the IANA issue weekly, if not more than weekly calls, all of which has been published, all of which is transcribed, all of which is available, all of which is in at least two languages – has offered an abundance of opportunity for people specifically within our communities and ALSes to be engaged.

I would also note that certainly to my knowledge, webinars were given beyond community [inaudible] specific At-Large community and to

people who could be arguably ALS based or interest [inaudible] I think all of the regions. I'm not sure about North America, but I am sure it went out in the Spanish language, the French language, and of course we did one in Asia-Pacific in [inaudible]. They went by the hubs.

So I would think that this is one of those things that ICANN's done that's probably had more opportunity for public comment than just about anything else. So I agree with raising [things] at the webinar upcoming. I agree with asking questions at the webinar. And I agree with certainly making sure that our list are clear and invite our ALSes to the webinars, but I don't think we could – let alone should – do more than that. And it's the ALAC [inaudible] chartering organization that needs to come into play now, and that's [inaudible] people – not [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Cheryl. Olivier? Can't hear you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

I had trouble unmuting. I wanted to share some text on a call to be sent to the IANA Issues mailing list. On the point that Sebastien is making of asking our ALSes, I believe that the ALSes have had so far ample time to provide input and they will have even more time to provide input during the two webinars that we have. We'll really see the ones that are interested in this topic that will join in.

Then I note the other question which you had, Alan, which is how to then include the issues and not include so many issues that every single

person brings in and how you're going to choose between them. I suggested a poll.

I've got text here, proposed text that I could send to the IANA Issues mailing list because I guess these are the people who are most concerned by the discussions that are taking place. Could I share this with everyone, here?

ALAN GREENBERG: Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I might have to share my screen then or something for a brief moment, but I haven't got the ability to do so. Aha, now I can. How do I share my screen?

GISELLA GRUBER: You've been made host. There we go. It's coming up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: All right. Can you read this?

ALAN GREENBERG: It's not there yet. There we are.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, now it's there.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Dear IANA Issues members, in order to obtain clarity on the issues that should be raised in the ALAC response to the CCWG accountability proposal, it was suggested that a quick poll should be sent out incorporating the issues raised by the different members of the At-Large community for people to mark them is a red line issue that should be in the ALAC statement; an important issue that should be an ALAC statement but is not a redline issue; an issue that should not be in the ALAC statement; an issue in which you have no interest in at this stage and until... And Alan, I don't know what the deadline would be for you to be able to know what should and shouldn't be in there. Please be so kind to e-mail the issues which you think the ALAC should include in its statement to staff@atlarge.icann.org for them to be included in the poll.

And of course that deadline would be your deadline minus, I would say, 24 hours – a 24-hour poll. So 24 hours for the poll to actually take place. I'm hoping that we're not going to get 30 different issues that are going to be brought forward. To me, that would then sound out – and this poll is for the IANA Issues members, not for everyone.

ALAN GREENBERG: Are you suggesting that we give them a list or we ask them to create a list?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We ask them to send you or send staff their issues. Because I don't know whether you've managed to track all of the points which everyone has made so far.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm sure I'll miss one and be accused of something for it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That was the reason why [I thought] that they would have to repeat what they wanted to [be] in that poll. And as you can see, I can just press send and then [send it out] to the IANA Issues.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no, please do not do that yet. But as you heard on the previous call, there are people who say we should say everything is a redline issue as a negotiating stance. And I was taken... I don't know. Some of you may have seen the method that is used in Africa that was used at the [Climate] Conference where people actually say to each other's face what their real red lines are and then try to come closure, as opposed to the posturing that we normally do, the haggling that goes on when you're trying to buy something, of getting outrageous answers and hope that you'll come to closure in the middle which is what is being proposed here. I much prefer the African technology.

Tijani, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. [Why] you don't like the African [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I said I much prefer.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. Coming back to the point that you just mentioned, I think that we may not say that there are red lines or not. We only raise issues to the CCWG, so that they will address them. This will solve the problem of the evaluation of the red lines. And then when we [inaudible] the project – in this case, yes, we'll raise our red lines. This is one point.

Second point, I would like to insist on the fact that an e-mail should be sent to the list regarding the webinars and saying that this is an opportunity for everyone to give input so that the opinion that you will give to the CCWG will be the opinion of the whole At-Large community, so that people will not say after that, "No, I didn't know that it is an opportunity for us. Perhaps I didn't have time, etc." Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm still not quite sure how to proceed. Olivier, can we talk for a few minutes after this call? I know it's late for you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sure. Alan, just to mention, in response to Tijani, of course the marking of the issue of red line and not red line are for Alan to keep to himself.

They will not be marked as red line or not red line in the ALAC statement. This whole call is meant to provide Alan with a clearer idea of what our community feels like. And if three people believe that there is a red line issue that should be in the ALAC statement, but four people believe that it should not be in the ALAC statement, then obviously we would go for not having this into the ALAC statement.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Currently, Olivier, the wording in the statement is done carefully. For instance, it says the ALAC cannot accept lowering the requirement – the voting requirement – for removing the whole board. It also says the ALAC believes that for the other powers, they should not be lowered. But we're not adamant about it. The current statement makes it very clear, without using the term red line, which are the red lines and which are not. We're really saying which are the ones that we can live with and which are the ones that we can't live with.

If we have too many things that are viewed as these are absolute demands, we're just going to be discounted I think. Again, that's my personal opinion and my negotiating positions. Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. I agree with you, Alan. I just thought on of the possible ways forward – oh, and please note in the chat that I am dead-set against this put everything in and then negotiate out. That's just a waste of everyone's time, and certainly disenfranchises at least three of the five regions [inaudible].

How about, Alan, as a way forward if Olivier was to very minor modification – hopefully, a friendly amendment to his text on the screen – say that the responses to his call for “tell us what you think” – sorry to paraphrase that, but you know what I mean, Olivier – will be polled during the webinars. Then that also gives us specific language to put in, to pick up on Tijani’s point, for the separate e-mail, which is to say how important the webinars are to the list and that it is their opportunity to have final input and to be polled of their opinions on a number of vital matters. And that makes it sound even more important.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So you’re saying, then, that the polls themselves will take place during the webinar?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Correct. Get the list through to whomever starts probably as a result of what you’ve got on screen, but two sets of polling will happen at the webinars. But people [inaudible] I’m sure there’s not going to be millions of us on there – that people don’t double dip.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Remove that last sentence or change it. It can’t just be Alan Greenberg. Thank you. All right, Olivier, why don’t you send that to the ALT. Let people do any wordsmithing very quickly and then we’ll get it out. I’ll tell you to send it out almost immediately after this meeting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: All right. No worries.

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl, is that a new hand, old hand?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, it's me still cooking and I'm stirring caramel, so [inaudible] hand down.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's good. We'll consider it down until you talk again and say you want to [inaudible].

Okay. So basically we're going to ask people for what they think are important and then we'll do a poll. I have another question about the webinars. I would ask staff to try to ascertain are there any ALAC members who are not otherwise already very familiar with this who are not coming to the webinars. I think it is really, really important that all ALAC members either have been very active participants or attend one of the webinars. I would ask you to, if necessary, make phone calls or personal e-mails to try to make sure that happens. I understand the first one is within 24 hours of now, but it will be really good if we make sure that there are no ALAC members who haven't heard about this statement when they have to vote on it.

Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Alan. I'm wondering if we could make that action item that staff are to send a note to all of ALAC on your behalf asking them that they attend one of the webinars, if they're not overly familiar with the CCWG activities.

ALAN GREENBERG: You can certainly do that. Can I ask you that it comes... If everyone on the ALT thinks I'm wrong, please say so. Or if anyone thinks I'm wrong. Can I ask that it come from a person not At-Large staff? It might and perhaps put something in capital letters in the subject, so that people actually look at it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can send that, and I will share that with you, Alan, before I send it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. Have we beat this one to death? Yes, go ahead, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So now we have to action items. One to send an e-mail to the ALAC members and the other, an e-mail to the whole list about the opportunity they have to participate and to give their point of view because we [need] that the opinion of ALAC [would] reflect the opinion of the whole At-Large.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. And a third action item to send Olivier's message to the IANA Issues group once the ALT has had a chance to make any suggestions within a few minutes after this call.

Are we finished with item number four? Hearing no voices, we'll go on to item number five, finance and budget and Fiscal Year 17 special requests update and next steps. My name is on it, but I'm changing that to Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. I wanted to give you a few updates. As you know, we did a call for members a while ago. That is completed. The call for participants, non-voting members – non-voting observers or people on the FBSC. And tomorrow we've been getting a few, not all, including Cheryl, have confirmed or re-confirmed their participation. If you could do so, that would be great.

Also, the Fiscal Year special requests announcement should be coming out today. I've had that confirmed. So once that comes out, we will know the exact schedule and we will put that on to the FBSC – sorry, the Fiscal Year 17 special requests page. Gisella, if you could put that into the.... Thank you very much. If you could also put the link into the chat, that would be fantastic.

There's going to be an FBSC call next week where, Alan, I believe you're going to be reviewing the schedule and going over the At-Large schedule. So I'm also then assuming that the two of us will be talking about...

ALAN GREENBERG: Assuming staff support gives me the right information to present, yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, noted. And then, Alan, I'm not sure if you wanted to go over few of the potential Fiscal Year 17 special requests that we're hearing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Go over them right now?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So in terms of RALO ones, we know already we have already – you can see from the page, NARALO has submitted their request for a general assembly at ICANN 57 in Puerto Rico. I have been speaking with staff about that and that looks good. I think that one is going to be a positive feedback on that one.

ALAN GREENBERG: Which may be modified by our agenda item eight.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Then I also believe that... Sandra, I'm not sure if you want to talk about your [inaudible] request or if you would like me to mention that. Yes, Sandra, the Academy.

ALAN GREENBERG: We don't have time for niceties.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So very quickly, [inaudible] we're going to be working on another course for the Academy. This one is for working group chair facilitation, and the details will be forthcoming. It's likely going to be at the Fiscal Year 17 Meeting B. That will also include pre- and post-meeting activity as part of the course. The two of us are very excited about that.

I've also been speaking to Nora of [DPRD] who will be taking over some of the courses in terms of logistics. They're very excited about that as well. So I think that likely will be positively looked at.

I also know that the captioning project, which is now just getting started, will likely need another request to ensure its continuation in Fiscal Year 17. That's something we need to transmit to Judith. That is what I know so far. Alan, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Quite obviously, we're going to want to think about development session and how we do the equivalent at a C meeting, which already is

49 days long. Plus including the rules that we're not allowed to extend it. It's not at all clear how we do a session such as that within the rules. Heidi, it would be good if you talked to Glenn and find out what's going on with the GNSO and if they plan to continue something like that.

I'm heading to the door, so if someone else can make any comments or if someone has their hand up, go ahead. I'll be back at my computer in a moment.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I have my hand up, but Alan will not hear. I propose that, Heidi, you give an overview of the timeline regarding the special request, which is important for this meeting. Then we will talk about the remaining things during the Finance and Budget Subcommittee meeting, and also during the next meeting of ALAC and the ALT. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, the phone doesn't leave my ear because I go to the door. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, did you want me to give the overview now? Because again, I just have some key dates. I don't have the exact schedule since it's not been announced yet. We're expecting that—

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I saw on the wiki page exact times, exact dates. Are they not exact?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Those are likely to be exact, but again those are not all the steps. Those are some of the highlighted ones that I've heard from. I would be more comfortable waiting to see if there have been any changes once we see that announcement today. Again, as soon as that comes out today, I will update this wiki page and then send that to all of you as well as FBSC. Alan, may I comment now on the development session or is that a later discussion?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. Please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I have been speaking with Nancy about, for example, the future of the leadership program as well as something like this. I think for these special sessions we need to go through a process that will start early enough. We'll start that early enough to where we can ensure that this will happen. I wouldn't be too concerned about the parameters of the meeting yet.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And then if I could also just one more. That would be we are hoping that the RALOs, given the success of the development session in Dublin for the ALAC, that the RALOs might see the need for a more formal development session for RALO chairs and secretaries at the same time at the 2016 AGM.

ALAN GREENBERG: Are you saying the same meeting or parallel meeting?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Like a parallel one. Details to be discussed.

ALAN GREENBERG: No comment. Olivier, your hand is up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Alan. You mentioned asking whether the GNSO had started work on its scheduling for this type of meeting. And to my knowledge at the moment, I haven't seen much movement in this. It might be done in a sub working group, but I'm not aware of it. They certainly haven't presented it to the council yet.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's why I suggested asking Glenn, not the GNSO.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Yeah. Glenn, GNSO, I thought it was the same thing. But anyway, okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Anything else on Finance and Budget? Hearing nothing, seeing nothing, onto item number eight, update on white paper on summit/general assemblies. Olivier Crepin-LeBlond? Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm doing about ten things in parallel at the moment. Sorry about this.

ALAN GREENBERG: As long as this is your highest priority, that's fine.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Update on general assemblies – on EURALO general assembly?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no, no. This is the white paper you were supposed to have written within a week after Dublin.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's the one. Yes! Cheryl has been... No, Heidi. Okay, I'm getting the names right at some point. Heidi has been very good at reminding me that this needs to be done. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much movement on this. But I do promise to work on it within the next week

or so. This IANA stewardship transition has also been a bit of a time-taker.

Yeah, I'm certainly working on it. It's just regarding adding some introductory text. What I think we need to focus this on and what I will focus it on is to have text that will convince the other communities in ICANN, from my feedback that I get so far having spoken to members of the ICANN board and having spoken to members of ICANN staff, they're all sold on it because they've seen – most of them have seen – the results and things of the previous ATLAS. So the potential problems will be in convincing the rest of the community that this is a good thing. So as a result, the [explanatory] note, the introduction note, will explain why we're proposing this and why it's a lot more efficient and a lot better for ICANN to go through with this rather than having a yearly request going through the SO and AC special request path. That's all.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Just to remind you that you were the one who came with the concept after talking to a number of key people and pointed out that we have to get this done prior to the special requests going in, and therefore we have to get this discussed by the board prior. We have a very narrow window at this point.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

I'm well aware of that, Alan. There is also the problem that the board's attention is currently taken up by another process, as you know. So we have an extremely narrow window where we will have to make sure that the board's attention is not taken up by this other process, whilst at

the same time, the special requests have not closed yet. Because if we don't get this, then we're not going to be able to proceed... Well, we will have to proceed forward with making special requests and so on.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I presume this is going to go to the Board Finance Communicate, not the board as a whole to start with.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Correct, yeah. It will go to the Board Finance Committee, but I also hope that we could circulate this with the other SOs and ACs, as [inaudible] circulating it to the SO/AC/SG groups.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, of course. All I'm pointing out is the Board Finance Committee still does have meetings, and although I'm sure a lot of their time is trying to figure out how to pay lawyer bills, they may have some little spare capacity in their agenda.

Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, I am happy to prepare a draft in time for at least the ALT to look at it before the next AC/SO/SG RALO chairs meeting in mid-January if you'd like.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not sure that's the place we want to bring this up, to be honest. If you're not careful, this will get shot down before it has a chance to live. I would not bring it up at that meeting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's work on it afterwards.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Take it offline, thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. Anything else on Finance and Budget, or Fiscal Year whatever requests? Sorry. We're past that. Anything else on the white paper issue? Then this item is done. Tijani, you are free to go unless you'd like to stay with us anyway.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Alan. Thank you very much to change the agenda for me. And thank you all, and bye-bye.

ALAN GREENBERG: Have a good sleep.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Item number three, ALAC policy development activities. Miss Liang?

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Has Ariel just disappeared?

ARIEL LIANG: Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: Now we can.

ARIEL LIANG: Oh. Okay, great. So I'm just going to paste this link and take us to the new website to look at all the statements in progress and statements that's just submitted. So after the previous ALT call, we have submitted four statements and you can probably see that on my screen. I will not go through these.

Then, after, the ones that are in progress is only a few at this moment. So I have two statements that are voting, the ALAC is voting, and there

are also one that is collecting comments. That's the one on CCWG Accountability.

I just want to highlight one statement that is being voted on is on the gTLD marketplace [inaudible] index proposal. In fact, there's another process for this public comment is a call for volunteers for advisory panel that will review the marketplace [inaudible] index proposal and come up with a final proposal and provide input. They're soliciting volunteers by the end of this public comment period, which is January next year. Alan, I'm wondering whether we should send out a message to call for volunteers across At-Large.

ALAN GREENBERG: We certainly should.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. So I'll work on a draft message and I'll send you to review before we send it out. Thank you for that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Ariel, send it to the whole ALT. Let anyone comment.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, will do. I will note that in the action items later. Then we have several public comments. Actually, a few that are TBD and now just to walk through them one by one. The first one that you see is continuous data-driven analysis of root server system stability [CDAR study plan].

That one [we'll do] February the 3rd. We don't know whether the ALAC wants to issue a statement or not, and if so, who should be the penholder. That one needs to be considered.

Then the second one is the label generation rule set for the root zone version one, LGR 1. I approached the IDN Policy Working Group and Satish said he will review this public comment and get back to me with regards to whether the ALAC should comment on this or not, so I will follow-up with Satish later.

Then the third one is launch of a supplementary registration proxy service for gTLDs operated by xyz.com LLC. That is also a new public comment that will end January the 19th.

ALAN GREENBERG: I assume Holly is going to look at that one.

HOLLY RAICHE: I have my hand up. I'll comment later.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, go ahead, Ariel.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. Then the fourth one is proposed implementation of GNSO Thick WHOIS consensus policy [requiring] consistent labeling and display of [RDDS] WHOIS output for all gTLDs. I guess Holly will review this public comment.

ALAN GREENBERG: As will I.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay. I will note both Alan and Holly for this one. Then the next one is registration data access protocol RDAP operational profile for gTLD registries and registrars. I know Holly and [Carlton] submitted a statement to the ICANN board and Fadi, and that's official public comment. Holly—

HOLLY RAICHE: That's separate. That's not the letter. That's a different thing, but [Carlton] and I are looking at that.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, so [inaudible]. The last one, it's not really a public comment, but I saw there is a lot of discussion in the At-Large list. It's a notice of preliminary determination to grant registrar data retention waiver requests for [inaudible] Technologies.

So this particular one is not really a public comment, but it's soliciting input across the community. Alan, would you like to treat this as a public comment [inaudible] also something to consider?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we should ask Roberto if he'd like to draft a statement on our behalf. I'm serious!

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I know, I know! Actually, I think that would be very wise.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes, let him have a go.

ALAN GREENBERG: He basically has already drafted it in his e-mail. This is really silly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes, this is [bizarre].

ALAN GREENBERG: If he leaves those words in and adds a sentence to his introduction, the work is done. Put an action item for me to ask Roberto.

ARIEL LIANG: Okay, I'll note that. So that's all for public comments.

ALAN GREENBERG: Comments anyone? Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: I've got a few things. First of all, I don't understand the relationship, but I think there should be one between our [health] index gTLD – what are we looking at – and the consumer trust confidence, etc. It seems to me

they are looking at the larger issue of how do you measure the success or otherwise, within what terms of the whole gTLD. So I'm just wondering if somebody is making that kind of connection, and if not, why not?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know if they're connected or not, but it's an interesting question.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah. I just looked at the work that Olivier did and thought there's a lot of really interesting stuff there, and I just thought in terms of this is all part of a larger issue about how do we measure up what we think of the whole gTLD program? And there are elements in there that I think cross-fertilize one another, but maybe that's a different issue.

I think I've commented already on the things that are of the policy that I've had a look at. I'm very happy if Roberto says exactly what he says in the chat and just put it into a comment. The other things I'll just have a look at with you. But I think Ariel has pretty well gone through what I think are the outstanding things that have to be looked at.

In terms of the request for registration, I forgot... Ariel, could you put—

ALAN GREENBERG: RDAP operational profile.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah, that one. We'll be looking at that one. The other one in terms of people seeking requests, I think it was – let me just get full screen so I can look at this. Never mind. No, no, no. Ariel, I didn't want that. I wanted the list, please. I know what the RDAP is about, believe me. Trust me. Can you go back a page, so we can have a list? Thank you.

The one about the supplementary registration policy, I've had a look at that. Have you had a look at that? I'm not sure that it requires anything. I think we're going to be saying the same thing over and over again.

ALAN GREENBERG: It doesn't necessarily... If in your wisdom and Carlton's you think it does not require a comment, you just say so.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, right.

ALAN GREENBERG: I just don't know what a supplementation registration proxy service is.

HOLLY RAICHE: Well, that's what I'm finding out, believe me.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think what it is, is the registry is going to offer a proxy service, as opposed to registrars. From the title, that's what I'm presuming it is.

HOLLY RAICHE: I'm going to have a look. Then it's interesting how that's going to fit into the whole privacy-proxy stuff. We've been operating on the assumption that it's registrars that are [caught] by the RAA and it's [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: For all you know, this is an interim thing until the other policy is implemented. So maybe it's irrelevant.

HOLLY RAICHE: I'll have a look.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Anything else on policy issues?

HOLLY RAICHE: No.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. May we now go back to the original agenda? We are on item number six. We are at a time – we're just about on time. We're actually five minutes ahead of time, so we're doing okay. And this is the letter to the CEO on consumer trust issues. That's a letter I sent about two weeks ago, and to date we have not even gotten an acknowledgement back that the letter was received by anybody. Heidi, do you have any comments? I hate to put you on the spot.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. You were supposed to have received an acknowledgement yesterday. I will follow up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Maybe I did. I've been sort of busy since then.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, if you could take a look, I think you probably received it yesterday. I believe that is now about to be signed off. There have been a few people looking at it – very senior people – and we should have it, I would think, by next week, if not later this week.

ALAN GREENBERG: Are we going to be happy with the answers?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That I do not know.

ALAN GREENBERG: Have you seen a draft?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, I have not. I suppose I could ask for one.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no. I was just curious.

HEIDI ULLRICH: But I do know that a lot of senior people, the really relevant people for this topic, have been involved in the response. I can confirm that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. This should really be a no-brainer answer. On the mission of compliance, well either we change the mission or we honor it. Take your pick. On hiring a position that we announced with great glory and fanfare that we're going to fill a year-and-a-half ago or a year ago – oops! I guess we better get to it. These are all going to have to be [inaudible] answers. We'll see how much people [inaudible] swallow their pride. All right, any other comments on this one? Then we'll go on to item number seven, ICANN 55 update. Alan Greenberg and staff.

Why is my name on the lead of all these things? We need to fix that in the future. If I am the chair, that's why somebody else's name should be on it. I've learned how to delegate in my career.

Who's going to take the lead on this one?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella I believe is going to be... Gisella is really the one, is your go-to person on this. She has been very involved. We've just now had an update from meeting staff with the board schedule, which is rather amazing, that we [inaudible] at this stage.

So Gisella, if you want to let everyone know the latest on that, also that we have 80 days before Marrakech. Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Heidi. Are we supposed to be sharing this block schedule that we [got through]?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm not sure about that. If you could do a high level overview...

GISELLA GRUBER: The issue is... And apologies for sounding a bit vague here, but it was sent to me just an hour ago and I've been doing call management on this call. I haven't been able to do a crosscheck with [inaudible] to see exactly what has changed and where we're going to need to tweak [our one]. But that is going to have to be done probably within the next 24 hours to also discuss it with the New Meeting Strategy Working Group. Unfortunately, that won't be before Friday because Beran is traveling back to Gambia this week.

I've noticed that the meeting with the board is maintained on Wednesday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, if I may, on that point, it is much later in the day. It is actually right after lunch. So there's a change in that timing, I believe. And definitely for what has happened previously on Tuesday mornings.

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought Gisella just said Wednesday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It is now Wednesday right after lunch.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. So we're changing the day and the time of the day.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, if you want to clarify.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, we're changing the day and the time. It's going to be 13:30 to 14:45 and it will be running parallel, just from what I can see here with the GNSO Council public meeting. And for the rest of us, I've got to do a cross-check. I can't... We've only just received this. We've been asking for it since last Friday, but I'm not sure when they've received it. And I know it's going to be discussed on Thursday on an internal staff call. So we're going to see if there are any other major clashes. And I think once we've had that call and we've had a good look at what the other groups are doing now that the board have released their schedule, I think it's going to be a last-minute scramble and maybe a call on Friday with Beran will be the way forward. We're hoping to have something for the ALAC next Tuesday. But we'll pass it onto the ALT as soon as we've worked on it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Any other issues on your side that we need to raise at this meeting?

GISELLA GRUBER: If I may, Alan, just an update that the AFRALO showcase will be held on Monday, the 7th of March. There is on the schedule that we just received that there was going to be a cocktail with the ICANN board, but that has been cancelled because I know that the AFRALO showcase is taking place on that day.

Steve Crocker will be at the AFRALO showcase and it's been confirmed on that day due to the availability of the minister, [Aziz] is concerned. And Wednesday evening all going well, we should have the gala on that evening. And there is talk of having some kind of music get-together on the Tuesday night, but that's as far as I know for the social events.

ALAN GREENBERG: Is the gala off-site, on-site?

GISELLA GRUBER: I believe the gala is meant to be on-site, but I haven't had confirmation.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Can we put together a draft? Remember the message over to Dublin on who do we want to meet with? The list of who we've met with recently, if we can get ready to do that again. The wording may be phrased slightly differently, but if you could pull up the old one and add

any... If there were any new visitors, that we need to add them and then I'll take a look at it.

GISELLA GRUBER: We'll do that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, thank you. Anything else on the meeting agenda? My gut feeling is that we're going to have to do some adjustment on it from the template that the Meeting Strategy group has come up with to allow us to have more face-to-face hours and more visitor hours. We're probably going to lose working group meetings or something like that on the Saturday/Sunday because of it. But I don't see any other way that we can end up getting through our work other than that.

There is still some talk within the CCWG of a face-to-face meeting, probably I'm guessing on the Friday or something like that. It hasn't been ruled out yet, but it also hasn't been committed to. So that may impact travel dates.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Are you saying the Friday previous, prior to the start?

ALAN GREENBERG: That's the only Friday that it would likely be. I'm not giving you secret information. The CCWG is still saying we haven't decided yet. People are saying, "But we have to arrange travel soon." I strongly doubt there will

be dedicated face-to-face. They are talking about three sessions within the week which will conflict with other things and take people out of other meetings. If everyone remembers how well that worked in Dublin.

Anything else on meeting schedules? Not hearing anything, seeing anything, the next agenda item is ALAC agenda. Number nine, ALAC agenda. There will be an item on the CCT endorsements. The consensus call ends tonight. So I will be making an announcement or somebody will be making an announcement come tomorrow on who the endorsements are.

At-Large review charter endorsement. Heidi, you wanted to... You asked me a question in the chat.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Actually, yes. Actually, Holy is going to ask you a question about that. Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE:

I had asked Ariel if she could put the charter up so people could have a final look because the idea is this is the charter that pretty much describes what the ALAC review is going to do. It starts to pick up the things that have happened since the last meeting in November. We would've made I think a couple of changes or discussion about what was on the charter.

One of the things that was in the original charter was it was not clear... Oh boy, nobody can read that. [inaudible] anybody can read that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Keep talking, Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, yes. The first review blah-blah-blah, the focused review schedule. [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: Holly, let's not read the charter out loud. Tell us what the question is you're asking.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. It's not a question. It's just the only thing that we discussed to clarify was the amount of time that people will be expected to play when in fact the review is underway and the implementation. It was attending probably weekly meetings plus additional time for any tasks assigned. Other than that, this is the charter that most people have seen. We want to have a final signoff if people have any questions, but it needs to go to Larisa because to keep up with the time, we have had...

The first task we have already done, which is to have a meeting about criteria that we wanted in addition to the standard criteria for an independent examiner. We are now in the next [phase] of the timetable in which we have to start identifying people that we want to be interviewed by the independent examiner and start to look at some of the questions that we need to ask ourselves that need to be asked.

So that's where we're up to. It's part of the timeline. It's part of the charter. But Larisa wants to know if ALAC is comfortable with this and I would like to be able to confirm to her that this charter reflects the discussions we've had and ALAC agreement.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Who has seen this draft charter and signed off on it at this point?

HOLLY RAICHE: At this stage, the only people who have seen it are in the actual working party, which is what we're calling it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. May I suggest that we send it out now, or soon after this meeting, telling the working party this is going to Larisa in 24 hours, do they have any other comments? In parallel, send it to the ALAC saying it will be discussed at the next ALAC meeting, but we will have to approve it at that point. If anyone has any changes, suggest them on e-mail now prior to the meeting. Bringing it up at the meeting is too late. So an e-mail to the working party giving them 24 hours. Is 24 hours okay, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. I know Larisa has seen it. What I will do, Holly, if you send out that message today, I will let her know what's being done and basically she can, for the most part, start moving on the next steps and we can confirm a preliminary draft tomorrow.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. And notice to the ALAC that there will be an approval item on the agenda next week. It is next week?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, the 23rd.

ALAN GREENBERG: Next week. So if anyone has any comments or reason that they believe it should be changed, they should speak up quickly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Are there any preliminary comments before simply put those action items down, and then Heidi you and I will keep [tabs] on this one.

ALAN GREENBERG: We don't need to make any changes. The 24 hours plus the one week is enough.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah, okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yep, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Bear in mind, next week, could I suggest that you warn the ALAC, it will be part of a consent agenda [inaudible] about it? They were introduced to it at the last meeting. This is not new news. [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: Whether it will be on the consent agenda or as a decision item does not need to be said at this point. Any comments should be submitted in writing prior to the meeting. Whether it goes on the consent agenda will depend on whether comments or whether we actually had a consent agenda. We've never actually had one.

I'm not particularly worried about whether it's a consent agenda. But the wording should make it clear that any comments should be submitted prior to the meeting.

I have no problem if we set a deadline of Sunday or something like that, end of business Sunday. Thank you, Cheryl, though. Even if it doesn't go on the consent agenda, making it really clear that this is not going to be subject to new debate at the meeting is important.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Anything else on this item? Back to item number nine, the new meeting strategy next steps. I'm not quite sure how to handle that. I really think what we need to do is present to the ALAC a summary of the meeting strategy that we're looking at right now, number of work group meetings, number of work group slots that will be allocated, RALO meetings, face-to-face meetings with the ALAC and/or regional chairs, and give them the total of how the week will be broken up. I think that's part of the pre-discussion on is this going to meet our needs or not.

I really think this is an issue the ALAC itself has to look at, not just the leadership. So if we can try between Gisella and Beran or whoever, try to put some sort of summary together. Send it to me once you have it and we'll try to make it as clear as possible.

Anything else for the ALAC agenda, any other items that need to go on the ALAC agenda? We had an intent to get the agenda out a week ahead of time. We've already missed that deadline. I would like to get the agenda out in two days. So if anyone has any agenda items that you believe need to be brought to the attention of the ALAC, please get them to me, or particularly Heidi.

Any other business? Was that a "yep" from Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE:

No. That's saying there's no business for me.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. Is there anybody who has an any other business item? Then I wish you all a good day. Thank you very much for attending the meeting.

Olivier, we said we would talk after this meeting, but I think in fact we came to closure on what to do. Is that correct?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Alan. As I understand it, we are going to run those polls during the webinars that the ALAC will run. Is that correct?

ALAN GREENBERG: That's right, but you're soliciting things that need to be polled.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Correct, yeah. So I don't know what the bottom line is for that. If you want, we can talk on Skype now.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Everyone else, thanks. Olivier—

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I have sent the proposed text on e-mail, on the ALT e-mail. Maybe you want to read that first.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then we'll reconvene in five minutes. Gisella, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Alan, just if I may, Alan and Olivier, further to what was discussed today and what you need on this webinar – these two webinars that are coming tomorrow and Thursday – could you just send me anything through that you wish to add to the announcement that you sent out? Because tomorrow we're going to be sending out reminders, and anything we need to add needs to be put on these reminders. Otherwise, it will be exactly the same invitation [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: Gisella, I think the only difference is Tijani's suggestion to add a line saying this is your opportunity to provide input into the process.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Can I just suggest that – because I've got Ariel also on Skype, can I just suggest that Gisella, Ariel, you (Alan) and I would just reconvene in five minutes or something for ten minutes just to coordinate and know exactly where we all stand?

ALAN GREENBERG: We can do that, but if that's many maybe we should just stay on this call. Stop the recording and stay on this call.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If that's fine with everyone, but it's just to give you a little break if you needed a break.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll put the phone down for five minutes. I'll do what you people want. I am your leader and I will follow you.

HOLLY RAICHE: I'm here. We can stop the recordings now. Carrie, if you'd be so kind as to stop the recording. The meeting has ended.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Have a good post-post meeting.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]